Speaker 1: There is chaos in the streets of Los Angeles, California because of immigrants. An immigrant crisis is what they're calling it. It involves Donald Trump, it involves Governor Gavin Newsom, it involves the National Guard. And I'm not the only one who notices it. Former Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger did too.
Speaker 2: The stephen A. Smith Show in the House. Let's go.
Speaker 1: What's up, everybody? Welcome to the latest edition of The stephen A. Smith Show, coming at you as I love to do at the very least three times a week over the digital airwaves of YouTube and of course iHeartRadio. As always, I like to pause just for a moment to thank my subscribers and followers for supporting show and giving us love the millions of downloads we received courtesy of iHeart Radio over the last few months, not to mention the fact that from a digital perspective, we've eclipsed over one point twenty three million subscribers over the digital airways of YouTube. Again, none of this is possible. Here to stephen Ate Smith Show. The success of the show if it were not for your love and support, We deeply appreciate it. From the bottom of my heart. And as I always tell you, keep the love coming and I'm gonna keep on coming. To continue to like and follow the show, just click the bell and get notified for all of our newest content, and you too shall be considered the latest member of the Stephen Nate Smith Show family. And while you're doing that, please make sure to pick up a copy of my New York Times best selling book, Straight Shooter, a Memoir of Second Chances and First Takes, now in paperback. Just go to straight Shooter book dot com to get yourself a copy. Once to get in that straight Shoot of book dot com to get yourself a copy. And as usual, over my right shoulder you usually see straight Shooter Media. That's the name of my media company, named after my book, of course, so you get the title straight Shooter and where it comes from. Let's get started with the situation in Los Angeles, California, where President Donald Trump deployed National Guard troops to the city this week and to address the violent clashes between immigration enforcement authorities and demonstrators. The US Immigration and Customs Enforcement or ICE as they are known, began a series of raids last Friday in the country's second largest city. The raid sparked several demonstrations and subsequent clashes between protesters and law enforcement. Many threw rocks at ice vehicles and set fire to other vehicles in downtown Los Angeles. Those actions prompted President Trump to order the deployment of up to two thousand National Guard troops to Los Angeles, despite objections from Governor Gavin Newsom and Mayor Karen Bass. Here's what President Trump wrote on truth Social yesterday in response to the situation in Los Angeles. Quote A once great American city, Los Angeles has been invaded and occupied by illegal aliens and criminals. Now, violent insurrectionist mobs are swarming and attacking our federal agents to try and stop our deportation operations. But these laws riots only strengthen.
Speaker 2: I resolved. I am directing Secretary.
Speaker 1: Of Homeland Security Christine Ohms, Secretary of Defense Pete Heg Saith, and Attorney General Pam Bondy, in coordination with all other relevant departments and agencies, to take all such action necessary to liberate Los Angeles from the migrant invasion and put an end to these migrant riots. Order will be restored, the illegals will be expelled, and Los Angeles will be set free. Thank you for your attention to this matter.
Speaker 2: End quote.
Speaker 1: Meanwhile, Governor Newsom said this morning that the state of California is suing the Trump administration, claiming President Trump illegally federalized the National Guard. Here's what he wrote on social media about the clashes between protesters and law enforcement. This is quote exactly what Donald Trump wanted.
Speaker 2: End quote. He went on to say, quote, he flamed.
Speaker 1: The fires and illegally acted to federalize the National Guard. The order he signed doesn't just apply to California. It will allow him to go into any state and do the same thing. We are suing him.
Speaker 2: End quote.
Speaker 1: You know, I get where Gavin Newsom is coming from. It's not a good picture for those of you who don't know or of a forty percent of the population in the state of California is of Latin descent. Approximately anywhere from seven to eight percent are considered documented, but a larger number than that is considered undocumented. Donald Trump has lost cases before when states and others have filed lawsuits against them. Some of the executive orders that he's issued has not been successful, and we know that his efforts in this particular instance, may end up being derailed, but that does not mean that Governor Newsom is not playing directly into his hands. He himself said, this is exactly what Donald Trump wanted. Well, forgive this rhetorical question, then why the hell are you giving it to him? Why the hell are you playing right into the hands of Donald Trump? Because I got news for you on this particular issue as it pretends, as it involves migrants, immigrants, those who are undocumented dare we say illegal in the United States of America.
Speaker 2: He's winning on this issue.
Speaker 1: There's a reason he won a popular vote, there's a reason he won an electoral college vote. Does a reason he won everything every swing state. There are people within the United States of America that want our immigration crisis addressed and what the situation resolved somehow, some way, And the person that seems eager to bring a resolution to the table is President Donald Trump.
Speaker 2: Now, others may challenge.
Speaker 1: That because they may say we had a bipartisan agreement when Joe Biden was in office, that Donald Trump convinced the GOP the knicks because he wanted to use it as an issue to favor him during the election. Well, damn it, it worked. It worked, and I got news for you, Governor Newsom. It's working now. But before I go any further to elaborate on this issue, let's hear from Donald Trump himself. Let's see how he feels about the state of California and what's been going on under Governor Newsom's regime.
Speaker 2: Check out the President.
Speaker 1: I like Gaveners and he's a nice guy, but he's roughly in confidence everybody else.
Speaker 2: All you have to do is look at the little railroad helda. It's about one hundred times re budget.
Speaker 1: We're putting your flag fall over there under budget.
Speaker 2: I always do.
Speaker 3: Intel tell you about me people causing all the problem?
Speaker 1: And oh are they? Are they people heighten trying to deport her?
Speaker 2: Are they professional adjucate people that are causing the problem.
Speaker 1: Are professional agitators, they're interactions.
Speaker 3: They're bad people.
Speaker 1: They should be in jail. Can't go that far, can't speak that way about everybody. If you're black and you see blacks being arrested, ultimately incarcerated, schedule for deportation.
Speaker 2: How would you react.
Speaker 1: So we got to look at the Hispanic community, the Latin community, and we have to say, you know what, we can't blame them to coming to the defense of their own and everybody is not a criminal. Everybody is not there committing heinous acts and what have you. But it's not a good look, There's no question about that. When you're attacking ice agents trying to show their identities and pull off their mass, trying to expose them, lightening fires to cars on the roads in the city of Los Angeles and causing all of this kind of chaos. Particularly if you're undocumented, that means that you're here illegally, and if you hear illegally, the nerve for you to be causing that kind of trouble. Okay, that's a different subject for another moment, But let me get to something very very important, because based off of what Donald Trump said, I'm making the point that Gavin Newsom is losing this argument. How would I say that, Why would I deduce that? How would I come up with such a thing? Well, listen to the folks on CNN and what they highlighted with this chart. Check this out, ladies and gentlemen.
Speaker 4: You know, if we just take a look at the baseline numbers here, this is Trump's net approval rating on immigration. It's gone up like a rocket compared now versus eight years ago.
Speaker 3: During Trump's first term, look at this and his.
Speaker 4: First term, Trump was way way way underwater minus twenty one points.
Speaker 3: But look at this, He's up over twenty points now. In the aggregate, he is in positive.
Speaker 4: Territory if plus one point honest net approval rating. Some other polsy eve have it a little bit higher than that. There is no issue on which Trump is doing so much better than he was in his first term more than the issue of immigration.
Speaker 3: No wonder The Times has written up the way that he is.
Speaker 4: Trump is begging for a fight on this because he knows what he's doing so far is working with the American electorate. The American electorate believed that the Democrats.
Speaker 3: Don't have a clue on the issue of immigration.
Speaker 4: I mean, you could just take it here closer to trust more and immigration. Democrats versus Republicans. Got three different polls for you across the board. They all tell the same story. Republicans lead on the issue of immigration. You see it here, CBS plus six, You see it here, CNN plus six, you see it here, Ipsos even bigger plus nineteen. No matter what poll you look at, no matter which way you cut it, the American public is with the Republicans. The American public is with Donald Trump, and to a much greater extent than they were in term number one.
Speaker 3: And it's not just on the broad issue of immigration.
Speaker 4: It's on the specifics as well, in which the American public is with Donald Trump and the Republicans.
Speaker 3: And that is why Donald Trump is.
Speaker 4: Eager to take on this fight and eager for those scenes out of Los Angeles.
Speaker 2: Did you hear that, Governor Newsom? Did you hear that?
Speaker 1: I know you're about to leave office soon, I get that, But did you just hear that America is with Donald Trump? America is with the GOP on this issue. Okay, he's gaining traction in the midst of distracting us from all the other issues that involves him. Right now, because of what's going on in the streets of Los Angeles, this is not a winning argument for Governor Newsom. And because it's not a winning arment argument for him, it's not going to be a winning argument for me and Karen Bass. And it's not going to be a winning argument for the Democratic Party. Where would I get that from? Let me read some stuff to you. This is on the state of California long just on some research. Note here current deficit California face is a projected twelve billion is According to research, California faces a projected twelve billion additional budget shortfall for twenty five twenty six meeting twenty twenty five twenty twenty six, on top of previous gaps, marking at least the third straight year of structural deficits. Annual spending. In terms of structural deficits, annual spending exceeds revenue by ten to twenty billion dollars, prompting reliance on reserves, borrowing and accounting maneuvers. Without reform, state debt could reach forty two billion dollars rainy day reserves. The governor plans to use seven point one billion dollars from reserves, leaving a.
Speaker 2: Total cushion of approximately fifteen.
Speaker 1: Point seven billion by mid twenty twenty six. So now you're digging in to the rainy reserves. Okay, rainy day reserves. Immigration undocumented population. According to the research estimated numbers, as of twenty twenty two, California had about one point eight million undocumented immigrants, the largest in any state in any state in the United States, though down one hundred and twenty thousand recently. Okay, this equates the roughly seven point three percent of California's total population. By the way, involving broader immigrant workforce. Approximately one third of jobs in California are held by immigrants, including legal, naturalized and undocumented. So what happens here is that you have people that are looking at the migrant crisis, looking at undocumented immigrants, looking at illegal immigrants, seeing them use the healthcare system ever heard of medical? And then remember when California and knews them, they were talking about how billions were spent, okay on illegal immigrants and as a result, there's a shortfall there and you're looking for federal assistance. These are the kind of things that are going on in the state of California. Kevin Newsom knows this better than anybody. So why make this argument as vociferous as it is against the Trump administration and then engaging and challenging the head of ICE to come and arrest you. Why would you do that, Gavinussm Why would you do this? Here's a quote. He's a tough guy. Why doesn't he do that? He knows where to find me. That kind of bloviating is exhausting. So Tom arrests me. Let's go. That's Gavin Newsom daring the head of Ice, mister Tom Holman to arrest him.
Speaker 2: Tom Holman.
Speaker 1: In case y'all don't remember who the hell he is, he's been a guest on this show. And this is a man, okay, that is not messing around. And he has made it very very clear that he is not beyond arresting elected officials. He is not beyond arresting sitting mayor, sitting governor's school. Ever, he doesn't give a damn. He's not playing And Donald Trump just spoke publicly today saying if he was Tom Holman, I would take Gavin Newsom up on his offer and arrest him.
Speaker 2: But again, in case you don't remember who he is, let me show you who he is.
Speaker 1: This is Tom Homan months ago right here on the stephen A.
Speaker 2: Smith Show.
Speaker 1: Take a look at who this man is and what he stands for with the issue of illegal immigration.
Speaker 5: Check it out sanctuary cities or sanctuary to criminals. And we're going to home accountable. And Pam Bondy, now that she's the Attorney General, she's already filed lawsuits, and we're going to continue finding lawsuits because we think knowingly releasing a public safety threat back in the public, it's just dumb. There's no reason back. When you release a public safety threat back in the public, it puts your officers at great risk because rather than arrestling somebody in the safety and security of county jail, now we've got to go to the neighborhood and find them, which is dangerous for the officer, dangerous for the alien because anything can happen on street arrest is it's certainly dangerous for the community. And what you're going force ice in the community and we'll.
Speaker 2: Find a bad guy.
Speaker 5: But when when we find him, he's probably with others, others that aren't a criminal threat, but they're in the country legally. Well, they're going to go to cause we're not going to turn our back on illegal anim once we find it. We're going to let ice do their job and enforced immigration law. So what you get being the sanctuary city is exactly what you don't want. More officers in the community and more collateral rest because we found them while we're looking for the bad guy. I don't understand why any elective fresher whose number one responsibility is protecting their community. Why would you not work with us to remove a child rapist from the community rather than release than back in the community.
Speaker 1: The man is not playing And by the way, correction, he's not the head of Ice. That would be mister todd lyons Who Tom Holman is is the borders are who has been empowered by the President of the United States forty seventh president, which is Donald Trump. So the man ain't playing okay. In the end, here's what this comes down to. The state of California, with a third of its workforce being made up of migrants of immigrants, is in a situation right now that's very tense, to say the least. Why Donald Trump would send two thousand members of the National.
Speaker 2: Guard to protestes that didn't.
Speaker 1: Even amount to a thousand according to latest figures beats me. One would imagine. It's all pomp and circumstance. It's all a give of visual to send the message, to make things seen a bit more chaotic than they may actually be. I don't know, but one can easily suspect that because this is an issue that works for him, and with what's going on between Ukraine and Russia, with what's going on with Israel and Hamas, with what's going on in terms of other things that people have been pointing to that are ravaging our country, issues that are ravaging our country.
Speaker 2: With a big, beautiful bill.
Speaker 1: Having not yet been passed by the Senate, with so much work to still be done, probably before the fourth of July, they better get something done before these senators a representatives decide to go on vacation. All of these things are things that have been huge distractions for Donald Trump, not to mention Elon Musk going nuclear on him a week ago, So an issue like this plays right into his hands. It's right in his wheelhouse because he knows that the American people primarily supported him on this issue, much much more so then they'll ever support Gavin Newsom. So when you see Gavin Newsom speaking about it, when you see Mere Bass speaking about it, when you hear Democrats speaking against Donald Trump, ultimately they're gonna say he's gonna be able to say this speaking against me on this issue which he knows he has the support of the American people on, and as a result, it's gonna be yet the latest derailment for the Democratic.
Speaker 2: Party if they're not careful.
Speaker 1: As far as I'm concerned with Gavin Newsom, He's been welcomed on the show many times. I'll welcome in again. I know how smart he is, I know how caring he is. But in the same breath, he might be on the wrong side of this issue in terms of how he's electing to handle it. Because in the end, this is a guy that's leaving the gubernatorial seat in California. People are looking him as looking at him as a presidential candidate in twenty twenty eight. This ain't gonna win it for him. This ain't gonna win it for him. Not when we look at the state of the California and it's it's state income to axes, not when we look at the cost of living, not when we look at crime in the streets, not when we look at homelessness, not when we look at the border issue.
Speaker 2: Not when we look at a whole bunch of things.
Speaker 1: This ain't the issue for him to fall on, this sward over in my opinion. Nevertheless, he seems hell been on doing so. I don't know if he can win this issue. I don't know if Gavin Newsom has won any issue lately, and to be so smart, and to be so sharp, but to find himself on the wrong side of issues Tom and Tom again when it comes to the state of California in the eyes of people, it's hard to imagine what's going on.
Speaker 2: Those are just my thoughts. We shall see, all.
Speaker 1: Right, folks, I need you all to stop what you're doing and listen up. You know I love this time of year.
Speaker 2: Right. The NBA players are in full effect.
Speaker 1: The NBA Finals are here now with all this action jumping off to stephen A.
Speaker 2: Smith Show.
Speaker 1: Wants to make sure you take advantage of it all. That's why we partnered with Prize Picks, the best place to win cash while watching sports. That app is easy to use your no just pick more or less on a few player stats and you can win up to two thousand times your cash on a single lineup.
Speaker 2: Best of All Prospects.
Speaker 1: Will give you fifty dollars when you play your first five dollar lineup. When the lose, you'll get fifty bucks for playing. Use promo code says and download the app now again.
Speaker 2: Download the app and.
Speaker 1: Use code says to get fifty dollars instantly after your first five dollars, lineup prospects. Hey, hey, run your game now. The Oklahoma City Thunder even the series against the Indiana Pacers on the series as the series heads to Indiana for Game three on Wednesday night. So I'll give you my picks for that game. First up with Shay Gil just Alexander Shae, but I like to call him score more or less than thirty four and a half points. Believe it or not, this game, I'm gonna go with less. I think Indiana's gonna come ready. I think that Shay is gonna be a bit unselfish. He's gonna be looking to distribute to basketball and get other people involved. He'll probably have about thirty to thirty two, but I think it's gonna be a little bit less than thirty four and a half.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna go with less on this one.
Speaker 1: Next up, will his sidekick his back court make Jalen Williams score more or less than twenty one one and a half points. I'm going with less on this as well. I think Wiggins and Door and Caruso and Homegren and others will be more involved. He's gonna get some points. Well, this is gonna be more than twenty one and a half. I'm gonna say less for Jayla Williams as well. Next up, will Tyrese Halliburton scored more or less than seventeen and a half points. Yes, he'd better because the time has arrived for him to recognize that that brother that plays your position on the other team is the league MVP, averaging thirty six a game in this series. Tyree's got to show up averaging fifteen and a half points in the series.
Speaker 2: That ain't gonna cut it. You gotta step up, bro, you gotta step up.
Speaker 1: I think he will in front of those home fans in Indiana for Game three.
Speaker 2: We'll see what happens.
Speaker 1: And finally, well, Pascal Siakam scored more or less than nineteen and a half points. He's a champion. I think that there's some opportunities that he can get. He can be given Rick Carlisle and make sure that I see him scoring more than nineteen and a half points on Indiana's home turf for Game three Wednesday night. So that's less for Shay Gil just Alexander, that's less for Jayla Williams of Oklahoma City Thunder more for Tyrese Haliburton and Morpha Pascal Siakam of the Indiana Paces.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's my picks. I like that. I like that.
Speaker 1: And by the way, go to Prize Picks. Go to the Prozepects app and check out the Stephen A. Smith Show Community play. It's boosted for twenty five percents. Right there for you, baby, It's right there for you. My next guest knows the thing or two about the state of California. He served as the thirty eighth governor of the state, and he happens to be an Emmy and Golden Globe Award winning actor. He now stars and executive producers the Netflix hit series foot Ball. Please welcome the one and only Arnold Schwartzernegga to the show.
Speaker 2: Sir. It is an honor and the privilege. How are you.
Speaker 6: I'm doing terrific.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 7: It came back from Austria just a few days ago and with the little cough. So if I have a cough attack in the middle of this, just you know, be patient, meal, hey.
Speaker 1: Listen, and I'll get do you one better. Damn it, I run this show. I'll pause, cut out the cough, and it get right back to you. So nobody will notice the cough. So you don't have to worry about it today. You have to worry think about it. Listen up, Honor, before we get into fool Ball, because I can't wait to talk to you about that Netflix series. I really have enjoyed watching it and I can't wait to talk to you about it. But news obviously takes precedent first. Before we get into that series, I wanted to get your thoughts on the current unrest taking place in Los Angeles after ICE agents rated several businesses and protests that led President Donald Trump to order the deployment of two thousand National Guard troops to the city.
Speaker 2: What's your reaction to all of this.
Speaker 7: My reaction is I hope that this solved this problem as quickly as possible as you know that Los Angeles has gone through some really bad fires recently, and I think this is the last thing that you need right now, and I just hope that they were solved is as quickly as possible, because it's going to hurt the people of Los Angeles. It's going to hurt, you know, tourism, it's going to hurt business, the revenues which they're always short off Los Angeles and the state of California. So I just really hope that all of them can coordinate that and work together in solveest problems as quickly as possible.
Speaker 1: As mentioned, you served as California's governor from two thousand and three to twenty eleven, as a Republican in a traditionally democratic state. Homeland securities are Tom Holman appeared to threaten to arrest Governor Gavin Newsom before he walked back that comment. On Fox News this morning, Newsom says he's now suing the Trump administration for involving the National Guard to begin with, what are your thoughts on how Governor Newsom is responding to the ice raids and the National Guard being on the ground in La.
Speaker 7: Well, you know, I have the last thing I ever do is criticize a sitting governor. I think that you know, when you have been in this job, you know how challenging it is, and on top of it, you know, we have a different point of view and a lot of things. I'm a Republican and he's a Democrat, so he thinks differently about those kind of issues and a butt a lot of issues as far as that goes. But I never will criticize him because he has to do it his way. People elected him as a Democrat, and people elected me as a Republican, so I did it my way. I was always when I was governor, very inclusive. I worked with the Democrats and the Republicans and the client of State and the independents. I've worked with everyone together to solve this problem. But we have immigration problems then and we have immigration problems now. It's just really a shortfall and the shortcoming of the politicians because they never solved the problems.
Speaker 6: And this is a.
Speaker 7: Creation better politicians in a way, because they don't solve the problem. The immigration issue can be resolved very quickly by giving more in working permits in student visas to people and then they don't have to come in here I legally, So to me, that is a way to solve it. Democrats and Republicans can come together under this issue and solve this issue.
Speaker 1: Arnold, do you find this to be a nationwide issue or is it a special circumstance in a case In the case of California.
Speaker 7: Now, the immigration is year has been going on since Ronald Reagan, and I think that the idea was always that to solve this issue for decades after decades that politicians didn't because each one of the parties is interested to not solving it because they can raise money based on that. Republicans to the hardline and the Democrats to the inclusive kind of a spiel, and so you know, they all raise money on that, they all campaign on that, So they don't really want to solve it. To me, those problems are there. As a politician of the responsibility not to be a party servant, but to be a public servant. In order to serve the public, you have to solve this problem and to make it the coherent kind of immigration policy. Right now, we don't have one.
Speaker 1: Last question on this issue. You publicly endorsed Kamala Harris. The Democratic Party appears to be in flux as facts come to light about Joe Biden's fitness to serve a certain term a second term. What does the party need to do to get back on track. In your estimation, even though you were not a member of that party, what advice would you give them?
Speaker 6: You know, no advice.
Speaker 7: I think that they will figure out themselves of the mistakes that they've made in the past. As much as the Republicans always have to figure it out and the mistakes they've made in order to get re elected again, and so I think they will figure out. They're very very smart people in the party, and the Republicans have very smart people in the party. The important thing is just kind of like to kind of serve the people. And if you can prove that you can help the people's lives and you can put this so they can put food in the they can dig care of the families. If you can do that, then you can get devote If you run the other way, and if you're just kind of a political hack, it only shifts the party, then you have the danger that people would abandon you and go any other direction.
Speaker 1: Listen, that's all I gotta ask you about that on this particular subject, because I've got to get into your series on Netflix, mister Arnold Swartzenegger coming up. We'll get into your thoughts on the American Dream in season two of Full Bar Straight Ahead. Also, someone Balls gets into a war of words with Riley Gaines overt transgender inclusion in women's sports. I'll get into that, but not with Arnold Swartzenegger. I got to talk to him about this Netflix series. We're gonna get back with more of Arnold Schwarzenegger in just a minute. You're listening and watching The stephen Ate Smith Show. Back with more in a second. All right, everybody, listen up. We're all the big time sports action is happening each and every day.
Speaker 2: The Steven A.
Speaker 1: Smith Show wants to make sure you are taking advantage of it all. That's why we partnered with Prize Picks, the best place to win cash while watching sports.
Speaker 2: The app is really easy to use.
Speaker 1: To make a lineup, all you have to do is pick more or less on a few player stats. Choose from any of your favorite players Tyrese Halliburry, Shake, gilg Just, Alexander, Pascal Siakam all in the same entry to sit back and watch.
Speaker 2: The list is really endless.
Speaker 1: You can play Prospects in over forty states, including California and Texas. Best of all, Prospects will give you fifty dollars when you play your first five dollar lineup. Wanna lose, You'll get fifty bucks, So just use promo code essays and download Prospects Now Again. Download the app and use code says to get fifty dollars instantly after your first five dollars lineup prize picks.
Speaker 2: Hey, hey, run your game?
Speaker 7: What I see? What's going on? You have an interest for Metata. I just want you to know I don't waste too much time because if no.
Speaker 2: Chance, why do you say that?
Speaker 7: Well, because you're unstable and you're all over the places you kind from like a loose hand of that. It's the last thing she needs to read now in her life. I just don't think she ever would choose you. But I could be wrong. Yeah, probably probably are wrong.
Speaker 6: Then just have you killed?
Speaker 7: All right?
Speaker 2: You're taking the piss.
Speaker 7: About three pisses to night. I mean, my brasta is so large, it's like a can love.
Speaker 3: That's not what I meant. It's an express. It doesn't matter.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to Stephni Smith's show. Season two of Football on Netflix starring Arnold Swarzenegga begins streaming on June twelfth. Welcome back to the show to one and only Arnold Schwarzenegger. Talk to me about this series. I love it. I gotta admit it. I love the father daughter dynamic, both CIA agents.
Speaker 2: It's been fabulous. What what made you decide to do this?
Speaker 6: Well?
Speaker 7: They came to me with the idea of doing True Lies but on TV and do for streaming service for Netflix. And I like the idea because True Lives was truly one of my favorite movies that I've ever done. Yes, and because he has the right balance of comedy and action and drama and violence and fun stuff and love and family and all of this kind of combinations that I thought made the movie so successful. And so I said to myself, if we can do a version of that on TV, I think we will have a home run. And that's exactly what we hit in the first season with the home run. I mean that the amount of people that watched it, it was number one for endless amount of time. And so then of course Netflix decided to do number two, and not only to make it number two, but to also make me the.
Speaker 6: Chief Action Officer of Netflix.
Speaker 7: And now you know then that means that you're not only responsible for your action show, but for others as well. But the bottom line is is your And I was delighted when they, you know, kind of pulled the trigger and said we want to have a second season. And you know, our contract is for two seasons anyway, and so I was happy that they did in that direction, and we were having a great time shooting it. The writers did a brilliant, brilliant, store you know kind of job in writing it, because there's a lot of things I did not know when I got into this TV business, like, for instance, you know, the beginning the rating of the amount of people that watched the beginning of a series versus the amount of people that watched the end of a series. You know, the completetion is the completion rate, and all of those kind of things. So I was always wondering, why did the series start slow? And then they kind of ramp it up? And you know, I've seen it on second at the second season. I mean, it's like, it starts out great and he explains everything where we are and the action that the comedy noise, but all of a sudden, towards the end, it really starts ramping up the amount of action, and I said, whoa boy, maybe there's a little bit too much, but I mean, any case, they did a fantastic job, and they were so happy to work with the same actors again us they worked in the first one, except Carrion Moss came to become part of the team and an odd love from decades ago, and she helped me bring down the Berlin Wall and to fight communism and all those kind of things. So that whole backup story came back again. And of course now I'm having a dilemma with an odd love, and I'm, you know, have a wife that don want the game back, and there's all of that going on in the midst of all this huge, huge skill action in comedy.
Speaker 1: In the midst of all of that, with you scheduled to turn seventy eight years of age, if I remember correctly, come late July July thirtieth, if I remember correctly, I mean, do how shocked are you at the success that you're having at this stage point in your life and in your career. You missed the action drawing up true lies Jamie Lee Curtis. Let Let's not forget how fabulous she was in that movie and how fabulous of a movie it was overall. But I imagined that you had some reservations as whether or not you'd be able to achieve this level of success at this stage and point of your career. Yet and still you're here and you're doing it well.
Speaker 7: I mean, first of all, you're absolutely right. You know, if you get older, then there is not as much interest in you as a major star than it is with the younger guys. And I benefited from Deadman. I was thirty, thirty five, forty fifty years old, and others are benefiting from that.
Speaker 6: So that's clear.
Speaker 7: But my kind of a you know, staying power has been because I think I jose wisely the kind of projects that it did, and yes, there was a danger, and I think that's the point that you're hitting is not only the age, but that was governor for seven years, and those seven years I did not do a movie or a TV show or anything like this. So there were just in a replays of other shows that they've done in the past, and so it's very hard to then come back again after that. And by that time, also half of the people, you know, Republicans, half of Democrats. They say about who he was a Republican. I don't want to watch his show with orders, so he goes through all of that ords at the same time. But that the bottom line is is that I'm very fortunate that I was able to kind of come back after I was finished with the governorship and that I'm at the place where I'm now. But I have to tell you the main reason for this is that I'm in America because America still is the land of opportunity. It's the greatest country in the world. And no matter how many problems we have and how many kind of debates they are about leadership and this and that, and the you know, the Congress and the accomplishing everything and all those kinds of things, and that the riots were. I mean, it is the greatest country in the world. I just came from overseas and I had an environmental conference in Vienna, Okay. And people still today come up to me and say, please, Donold, can you help me to get to America, just like it was fifty years ago, and they asked me they can I help them to come to America. So, I mean, the desire for people wanting to come here is because it is the greatest country with the most opportunities. And I've seen it firsthand. Everything that I've ever accomplished because my movie career, which was my family, the money that I made, and the becoming governor of the great state of California, and the environmental action after school programs that they've created, my work with Special Olympics. All this stuff happened because I was in America, and so I love this country and I cannot wait to celebrate this two hundred and fiftieth anniversary.
Speaker 1: The feelings that you have that you just described about the United States of America, I imagine you have always felt that way, But has it elevated since you were governor, Like being a governor of a state as large as California, the United stated large state in the United States of America. Being a governor of that state for those years, did it make you elevate your level of appreciation for America even more so in the aftermath of being a governor than you had before you became governor.
Speaker 7: Well, I would say that, you know, I don't think that anything could elevate. Okay, my enthusiasm got it about being in America since nineteen sixty eight, since it came here and I was so enthusiastic being here. Then in nineteen eighty three it became an American citizen and that elevated it. Of course, now I am an American, so that was fantastic. When you become governor, it makes you realize since that didn't work, my way up the political ladder. It makes you realize of how complicated things really are and how difficult it is really to work and to bring everyone together, local government, state government, federal government. How you as a state could be kind of like an environmentally friendly state, but the federal government has no interest.
Speaker 6: So you have to understand that.
Speaker 7: You have to understand that not everyone can think the way you do, and you have to appreciate that. And that's what that did. I worked with everyone together. I never looked at anyone as the enemy, and I always was very inclusive and it it made this the capital of Sacramento kind of a university for me. I learned so much. And one thing I learned definitely is my interest in my love for policy, not so much so for politics, but for policy solving problems and how do we make life for people better.
Speaker 1: Now that you're back, you're out of officier, no longer in an elected official in Hollywood? Are you enjoying it now more than you did before?
Speaker 7: I love it, you know, But it's it's not just you know, doing foo bar. It's not just being on a set of food and working with wonderful actors and actresses and all of that it is that the whole combination of the movie business, TV business, Uh, the environmental work that I do, the after school broken work that I do. I make great, great family, I mean make kids. I'm so proud of them. And you know, yesterday my daughter came over with us three with us three kids, and make grand children just love coming over the house and feeding the animals and Lulu and Whiskey, my donkey, and you know, the the dogs okay, you know, and the pig and every I mean, they just love coming over and doing all of that with me, and so they love their Opah.
Speaker 6: That's what they call me Opah.
Speaker 1: Right, how do you feel about doing TV? Because this is your first ever TV role. You've been doing movies all of these years, but to my understanding, is your first TV role.
Speaker 7: Correct, it is the first TV series, and it is quite different because you work much faster, so you don't have much time. You know, in the movies, you maybe shoot three to four pages a day. When you do a TV it's like seven, eight, nine pages a day, sometimes even ten to twelve pages a day.
Speaker 6: So it really moves.
Speaker 7: Much faster because there is not as big of a budget as it is with movies.
Speaker 6: But I mean it's okay. You get used to that. You get very disciplined.
Speaker 7: To learn your lines and to hit the mark.
Speaker 6: That is the most important thing in this business.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 6: To me, is that kind of.
Speaker 7: Like listen to the director, listen to the writers, and hit your marks and say your dialogue and then work work. I feel like when I do like a movie, I feel like I'm a plumber. I get up in the morning at six o'clock in the morning, and they go to work and they do exactly what they ask me to do. And then they go home at night and you crash in bed, or you go and have some time to work out a little bit, because fitness is working out is very important.
Speaker 6: But I tell you it is. If this doesn't matter how old you are.
Speaker 7: If you have a clear vision of making something successful and being involved in a great project like this Netflix project is fuba. I mean, then you're enthusiastic about the whole thing. You have energy, and you want to go out there and promote it. Like sitting here right now and talking to you, It's not a job for me, right, It's fun for me. I love talking about you about that, to you, about my projects. And about Fouba and all those kind of things. So some people consider this as a job and part of the job. I don't consider the job. I consider it as a fun thing to do.
Speaker 1: I always tell people the difference between the job the career. As a job is doing what you have to do to sustain or elevate your quality of life. A career is doing what you want to do. It just so happens to do those things. And you're talking about a career. And and by the way, football, I mean, I got to talk to you about the title of this show. Now, it's originally you know, the acronym originated in the military, which stands for a situation that is f up beyond all recognition? Is that what football stands for with the title of this show? Or is there another.
Speaker 6: Yes, stands for fucked up beyond all recognition? Yes? Exactly.
Speaker 2: Yes. What did you pick that?
Speaker 3: You?
Speaker 7: I know you cannot say it then, yeah, because otherwise you get crucified.
Speaker 1: Oh I can say it fucked up beyond all recognition. I just said it, That's what I'm saying. Did you come up with it? Did you come up with the title?
Speaker 6: I suggested?
Speaker 7: Then the I think everyone liked the idea because the originally a different title and then they went for it with this title, and it's just such a great thing. I'm fouba, you know, it's just fun because everywhere you go in the world, when you promote this thing, people always ask is what does it mean?
Speaker 6: What does mean?
Speaker 7: Then I tell them what it means, and then they try to translate it in their own language. Of course, then it doesn't work the same way. But I mean, that's what it means. The other thing that makes the show success for reason, I just want this add that is which is maybe a term you don't know either or that you maybe don't know, and that is the seventh piece.
Speaker 2: Okay, you know, but then I do not educate me.
Speaker 6: Please.
Speaker 7: Proper proper prior planning prevents pissed poor performance. Okay, okay, So that is very important because this show was really well written.
Speaker 6: This show was.
Speaker 7: Very well prepared, and that is the most important thing. Is did you go there for the resals, did you work on the stands, did you work or the magic stuff that you see on the screen, and then you go all out with that. But it's the proper prior planning that prevents pissed poor performance?
Speaker 2: You know last question.
Speaker 1: I'm thinking about this now and I'm asking myself, Arnold Schwarzenegger, an elite bodybuilder, world class athlete, and action hero.
Speaker 2: On what have you?
Speaker 1: You're approaching your seventy eighth birthday and you seem like you can go on and on, like you've got so much time left because you got so much energy. What's your advice to those out there who are younger, who haven't achieved as much yet walk around far too often acting like they're tired. What would you say to those folks about what they need to do to get a little spry in this step to be as energized as Arnold Swartzenegger appears to do as he's talking about his Netflix hit series Football right here.
Speaker 2: With your boy Stephen A. Smith, What advice would.
Speaker 6: You give Razieman.
Speaker 7: I tell you one thing, and I think you talked about that many times, and that is the only way you can have energy is when you have a vision. Because when you have a vision, that means that you have a specific goal that you want to go and chase after, and so everything that you do basically is a step closer to this gold and making discord a reality, and so to me, when I was working out in the gym five hours a day, I didn't say to myself, oh my god, I cannot wait until I have my fifty or five hundred sit ups over. Oh my god, I have to do another set of dead lifts with five hundred and fifty pounds or six hundred pounds.
Speaker 6: I didn't do any of that.
Speaker 7: I was looking forward to every single rep and every exercise that I did because it got me one step closer to this vision I had of being missed the universe being the world champion in body building. And the same was also the case with acting. When everyone said you would never be an actor, you would never be a leading man, I was and fighting because I had a clear vision of being another cleaned Eastwood or another one of the Hercules characters in the movies or something like that. So there's no one could shine me away from that. So that guy gave me energy. The same is when I had a vision about what to do with California, uh and I ran for governor, I could really talk to the people, you know, very openly and clearly about what I want to do with California, and they bought in because it was very clear, and because I had a very clear vision. So I think this is it's all about the vision, because the vision makes you have a purpose and a goal, and then you chase after that. So no matter how your old you are, as long as you have a vision, you're going to be in the right track and you always have energy.
Speaker 1: I just want to let you know it's such an honor and privilege to have been talking to you. I've been a fan for many, many years. True Lives is one of my all time favorite movies. I love total recall. Oh, by the way, are you ready for this? One of my favors. Is almost as crazy to say everybody talks about terminated, terminated terminator? You know another movie yours. I loved Kindergarten Cop. I loved that one. You're telling you a school teacher for crying out loud, you know what, I'm massperated the school teacher. I've loved you for years and I can't thank you enough. And this Netflix series foot Ball is special. It's got that kind of potential. I really like it, I really enjoy it, and I'm honored to have had you on the show man.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much.
Speaker 1: Thank you was a great pleasure. Thank you for having me. All right, buddy, you take care of yourself. The one and only Arnold Schwartzenegger right here on the steven A.
Speaker 2: Smith Show.
Speaker 1: You can catch the season two premiere of Football June twelfth on Netflix. I know I'm not gonna miss it. I watched all the episodes from season one. I'm telling y'all, it's a hell of a show. It's a hell of a show coming up. Olympian some mom. Boles gets into a war of words with former swimmer Rileigh Gaines over transgender inclusion in women's sports.
Speaker 2: I'll discuss that before closing out the show in a minute. It's to steven A. Smith Show. Don't go away, Welcome back to steven E. Smith Show.
Speaker 1: Now, I want to get to a story that caught my attention this past weekend, and that's the class between Olympian Simone Biles and Raleigh Gaines over the inclusion of transgender athletes in women's sports. Gaines is a former NCAA swimmer turned conservative pundit who joined a lawsuit against the NCUBA in March of twenty twenty four. The suit from more than a dozen athletes accused the NCAA of violating their Title nine rights by allowing transgender swimmer Leah Thomas to compete at the national Championships in twenty twenty two, Gaines and Thomas toded for fifth, but only Thomas was awarded the fifth place trophy for the two hundred yard freestyle. Fast forward to last week, where Gaines spoke out against another transgender athlete. Gaines targeted a Minnesota state high school league for not allowing comments on their post about the Chaplain Park girls team celebrating the state championships. Chaplin Park's team includes a trans athlete, that prompted Simon Bowles to post this about Gaines quote, You're truly sick all of this campaigning.
Speaker 2: Because you lost the race, straight up, sore loser.
Speaker 1: You should be uplifting the trans community and perhaps finding a way to make sports inclusive or creating a new avenue where trans people feel safe in sports.
Speaker 2: Instead you bully them.
Speaker 1: One thing's for sure is no one in sports is safe with you around end quote. Gaines responded to Biles in follow up posts, saying the seven time gold medalist stance on transgender athletes was disappointing and labeled her a quote male apologist at the expense of young girl's dreams.
Speaker 2: End quote. Then she went here, bringing.
Speaker 1: In Larry Nasser, a former national team doctor who sexually abused a multiple US gymnasts, including Biles, under the gouds of medical treatment. She wrote, quote all the horrific sexual abuse Simon Biles witnessed and spoke out against caused by one man, yet believes women should be forced to strip naked in front of men to validate the man's feelings. You know how many gold medals you'd have if your inclusive dream came true?
Speaker 2: Zero?
Speaker 1: End quote, Respectfully, gains I was with you until that last quote.
Speaker 2: Respectfully, that's going a bit too far.
Speaker 1: Talking about transgender women competing in sports is one issue. Using a guy like Larry Nasser, one of the most despicable human beings we've ever witnessed on this earth, who molested and abused numerous women, numerous gymnasts, including Biles, and to go that low gains you lost all credibility. You could have made your argument without going that far. No matter what Simone Biles said to you, how she may disagree with you on your position, did now warrant you to go that far. Certainly you're not suggesting that it was okay for her to be molested. Certainly you're not suggesting it was okay for her to be abused.
Speaker 2: So why would you say something like that that's just cruel.
Speaker 1: Just because she says something that hurt your feelings didn't mean that you had to double down on it by being a gazillion times worse, which Riley gains is what you are at this particular moment in time. I'm speaking specifically about you going that far. Having said that, the points that you made to some mong biles outside of the Larry Nasa.
Speaker 2: Comment that shit gives us all cause to pause.
Speaker 1: The reality is is that it is a disservice to women in a lot of people's eyes that men transitioning to women get to compete in women's sports. Leah Thomas was a perfect example. Her highest ranking at the time, her highest ranking as a male participant was like five hundred and fifty fourth in the world. He transitioned into being a woman and it was top ten.
Speaker 2: That speaks for itself. You're born, you got an x Y chromosome. It is what it is.
Speaker 1: It's different, and the reality is that there are an abundance of women out there who have a right to feel the way that Raleigh Gains feels.
Speaker 2: Simon Biles.
Speaker 1: Now, whether it's right for me or somebody else to say, it's a different argument.
Speaker 2: But in the.
Speaker 1: Age that we're living in, with Title nine in existence, with us being protective of fairness and equal rights and equal opportunity to women, to then piggy back off of that and follow up on that years later by allowing transgender athletes transitioning from male to female to compete against women doesn't appear to be fair. And when we lean on this argument about fear, fear fear, wait a minute, somebody's not talking about your civil liberties. Somebody's not talking about equality. Somebody's not talking about those things living you, allowing you to live and let live. They're talking about competition in sports. And if you allow somebody to compete in swimming, it's not gonna stop you from allowing them to compete in boxing. It's not gonna allow you to dis allot of competing in other sports. I remember years ago when Ronda Ralsey joked about how she when she was undefeated before a man, the nowoness put.
Speaker 2: It on her no disrespect to Ronda Ralsey.
Speaker 1: But she was talking about how she could beat Floyd money Mayweather. Now, come on, now we now know what would have happened to her. We knew it before, but we certainly knew after what we saw in Manda Nuna's Do the Her and Holly Holmes by the way, before that, we saw that. We know that in most instances, even though there are women that can beat some men out there buying large, the elite women don't deserve to be competing against the elite men. And by deserve, I mean I'm not talking about warranted based on their credentials.
Speaker 2: I'm talking about based on their gender. You shouldn't be competing against men.
Speaker 1: I don't want to see a claricious shields in the boxing ring against the Terrence Crawford or Tamar Charlow or Canilo Alvarez.
Speaker 2: I don't want to see one of these ladies in UFC going up against morob.
Speaker 1: I don't want to see them going up against I don't want to see somebody going up against John Jones.
Speaker 2: That's a female.
Speaker 1: So when we're talking about it from that premise, it's one thing for ladies to look at somebody like me or somebody say, who are you?
Speaker 2: It's another thing.
Speaker 1: Entirely for ladies to be looking at ladies acting like ladies don't have a right to feel like there's a disadvantage for them if they're going up against the male transitioning to female.
Speaker 2: We can't have it all, ladies and gentlemen. We can't have the we can't have it all in my in my if you ask me.
Speaker 1: My preference, I hope a whole bunch of men transitioning to women come out of the woodwork so we can have men going up against men, women going up against women, and transgenders going up against transgenders.
Speaker 2: That's fair.
Speaker 1: But what Riley Gaines is talking about does seem a bit unfair, and she has a right to express those thoughts without Simon Biles coming at her that way just because she lost. She's talking about an unfair advantage, and there's no one that can really dispute that if you are male transitioning to female, that there is an unfair advantage. I don't see women transitioning into men trying to compete in men's sports. If it's happened and I've missed it, I've apologized, But I've missed it.
Speaker 2: I haven't seen that. I haven't seen that.
Speaker 1: Sage Still my former colleague at ESPN, a conservative pundit, she had her own thoughts on this matter, and let's read what.
Speaker 2: She had to say here.
Speaker 1: Easy to say this, Simon Biles, when you only had to compete against fellow women, every one of your Olympic medals came competing against fellow women. Raleigh Gaines was not only forced to compete against a man, but forced to share a locker room with a man. That is sick, shocked, and disappointed that you'd attack another woman who has done nothing but uplift other women. If you think it makes sense to create a league for trans people, go for it, use that huge platform of yours. But to attack Raleigh for what she has done for little girls who want to be the next Simone Biles is sick. Maybe I would have used the other word other than sick or whatever. But it's not like Sage Steel is wrong. Based on what she described and the facts that we know, Raleigh Gaines is perfectly within our right to have the opinion that she has, as she's an American citizen who's using the courts to make her argument, which is what we do in our democratic society, whether you like it or not, Simone Biles, it's just the truth. I respect where you're coming from. I respect your passion the look out for those you feel are being victimized by a large segment of our population.
Speaker 2: I understand that.
Speaker 1: But there are a lot of young ladies out there who were born women that feel this is a flagrantly unfair advantage.
Speaker 2: What about their feelings? What about theirs?
Speaker 1: Now, let's get to your calls before I get on out of here for the day, because I see some people that.
Speaker 2: Wanted to call me.
Speaker 1: I'll get to Kamala Harris about something to close out the show in a minute, but not before I get to the calls.
Speaker 2: I want to get to the calls first.
Speaker 1: And now I got some news to give y'all about the former Democratic presidential candidate, Kamala Harris. Let's go to the phones right now. Let's go to Ni Kan. You're live with Steven A. Nikon out of California. What's up in Econ?
Speaker 3: How are you hi, Stephen? I wanted to know when you have a great score like James Harden, and when you have a player like Dwayne Wade, who won many rings.
Speaker 5: Who do you think is better at all time?
Speaker 2: I got to give it to Dwayne Wade. Do you know why?
Speaker 8: Why?
Speaker 1: Because Dwayne Wade showed up win he counted. See, if you're looking at the stats and you're looking at the one on one skill set, and you're looking at the prolific scoring prowess of a James Harden over several years of his career, particularly when he was in Houston, you have a point. The problem with James Harden's resume is that there has been too many occasions where the moments call from him. A Game six close out game against San Antonio, a Game seven in Houston against Golden State, a Game six and seven with the Philadelphia seventy six is against Boston, a Game seven just now against Denver.
Speaker 2: With different teams. There have been several occasions where he has not shown up.
Speaker 1: And I'm not talking about just the lack of efficiency. I'm talking about a lack of aggression where he's attempted nine shots, eleven shots, ten shots, or whatever, acting like.
Speaker 2: He didn't even want to be there in games where it was on the line.
Speaker 1: That has never happened to Dwayne Wade. Who's a three time champion and an NBA Finals MVP and a Hall of Famer that ain't even a discussion.
Speaker 2: Appreciate the call. Let's go to Trey in Texas. You're live or steven A. What's up? Tray?
Speaker 3: Hey, Steve Man, this is Trey.
Speaker 9: First of all, I'm going to thank you for stning my book and for being an inspiration to me growing up. So my question to you is how do you get more involved in sports media at a twenty two years as a twenty two year old person, We'll.
Speaker 2: Go to number one. Go to school, get education. Number two.
Speaker 1: Edify yourself as much as possible, Make sure you stay up on the issues or whatever, and practice repetition contributes to excellence. Do it over and over and over again. And don't be about the money, be about the substance, be about building something. You're twenty two years of age. You wet behind the ears. You're young, you got your whole life ahead of you, a whole career ahead of you. You know, study the issues, Study how to be on in front of the camera, Study how to speak in front of that microphone. Pay attention to what makes a good subject matter approach and what makes a good subject matter to avoid. Understand what the people want, what the public at large wants, what they would have a sense of, what's newsworthy and what resonates with an audience on a day to day basis. And when you do that, it'll go a long way towards assisting you and your aspirations. Did I answer that question?
Speaker 9: Yes, sir.
Speaker 6: I appreciate you.
Speaker 9: Man, here to go, Man, thank you for being an inspiration to me all these years. Man, appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Thank you Man, I appreciate it. Trey, appreciate you. Anthony in New York City, the last call of what's going on?
Speaker 3: Man?
Speaker 2: How are you well?
Speaker 8: You work on ESPN?
Speaker 2: Thank you?
Speaker 8: So I'm calling about these ice protests in Los Angeles and I want to get your pain on it. Honestly, I think it's disgusting. I think it's distasteful.
Speaker 2: Hold what hold on? What's this us?
Speaker 1: Just just for clarity, what's disgusting and what's distasteful? For my audiency, we don't understand you what's disgusting and what's distasteful.
Speaker 8: The way they're protesting is not peaceful. I seem industry burning things is not peaceful, Okay, And I'm more, who are people coming into this country, you know, better, opportunity, all that, But they got to do it the right way. Steven A. There's a process for that, and I don't know how I gavin loose some and people sand support them being here the illegal way when they don't belong here the a process. You have to go to court get asylum. They're not doing that. They're questing the border illegally, and we certain states are defending that, and I don't understand that, and that's what really drives my gears. I want to just your thought on that.
Speaker 2: Well, a couple of things.
Speaker 1: Number one, and don't hang up, because I want to hear your response to what I have to say. Number One, California is a sanctuary state, and when you look up the definition of the sanctuary state, it basically gives you a license to fight and fend off federal mandates that may come your way because you don't agree with them.
Speaker 2: That's what our court system is for.
Speaker 1: So even though it's a sanctuary state, it doesn't make the State of California illegal in their actions according to the courts. Now, after courts reach a ruling, particularly after Governor Newsom goes about the business of suing the Trump administration, and the court rules in Trump's favor, and then Gavin Newsom in the state of California DeFi those courts. Now you're venturing into illegal status. But until that time comes, if you're labeled a sanctuary state or a sanctuary city, then you're not considered lawless.
Speaker 2: That's number one.
Speaker 1: Number two, everybody out there protesting ain't illegal, ain't undocumented.
Speaker 2: We have to keep that in mind. Some are, there's no doubt about that.
Speaker 1: Obviously, most if not all of those protesters support illegal and undocumented immigrants, which is a different subject altogether, something close to what you're alluding to. But that doesn't mean every one of them is illegal and undocumented. There are legal citizens in the United States. There are people here on their visas. There are people here that are documented and naturalized immigrants. And because that's the case, that doesn't mean that that would make them legal. And under our laws, you do have the right to protest, Okay, Now, that doesn't mean you have the right to burn cars and businesses and steal like folks were stealing from Jordan's store in downtown LA. They showed footage of that taking place. No, you don't have a right to engage in lawlessness, but sometimes the art of a protest is being as disruptive as you possibly can be, so you can garner the tension not just of the federal government and our elected officials, but the world, making sure the eye of the nation and the world is upon you so they could see what your vociferous or protests are all about. That's what's transpiring here, and that's what we have to pay attention to. So again it's not ideal, we don't like it. We see what's going on in the state of California in terms of their spending compared to the revenue that they're generating, the fact that they're approaching a deficit in the tens.
Speaker 2: Of billions of dollars. We understand that. We understand that in.
Speaker 1: A lot of people's eyes, illegal immigration contributes to that because you got people using medicaid and a medical system as their form of healthcare and it's costing tax.
Speaker 2: Payer dollars a lot.
Speaker 1: We get all of that, and in somehow, some way it's got to be fixed. But a tho Sworts and Negga said it best. It could easily be fixed that they were committed to doing it, but either side uses it as a tool to favor themselves when they're running for election, and as a result of that, it's in the politicians benefit to not resolve this issue. And that's what the problem is right now, and that's why all parties are to be blamed for this as opposed to just one party.
Speaker 2: Anthony, all right.
Speaker 8: Right, And I respect for you saying I understand all that. And I live in a Saintuary. I'm from New York City, so I see it here too. And why don't like it when you speak about illegal immigration? People want to call you a racist or tell me you know I work. Oh, you don't care about his people, and so I don't care about people. This made me a racist. I wanted them to do it the right way, the legal way. That's what I'm saying, mister Stephen A.
Speaker 7: Smith.
Speaker 8: I thought I told it today.
Speaker 2: All right. I appreciate it. Good points, Anthony.
Speaker 1: Not going to sit up there and to cry that, no doubt about it, And I thank you for the call. I'm gonna get on out of here, ladies and gentlemen, but before I do, I wanted to show you this statement from former Democratic nominee for the presidency of the United States former Vice President of the United States, Kamala Harris, who issued this statement. This was not today, This was put out there yesterday, Okay, she wrote, Kamala Harris. Over the past few months, I've been deeply moved by the outpouring of encouragement from Californians urging me to return home and run for governor. California has always been a place where my story began. It's where I was raised, where I built my career in public service, and where I've seen firsthand the power of progressive, people centered leadership. After careful thought and heartfelt conversations with my family and trusted advisors, I have decided not to enter the race for governor of California.
Speaker 2: This was not an easy decision.
Speaker 1: I hold tremendous respect for the work ahead in Sacramento, and I know California will continue to lead the way on the urgent issues facing our nation, from climate change to reproductive freedom to economic justice. But as I've traveled across the country and listened to people from all walks of life, I feel an even deeper sense of responsibility. In this moment, our nation is at an inflection point. The challenges we face are profound, and the need for steady principal leadership has never been greater. There's more work ahead. I plan to be a part of it. End quote Kamala D. Harris, former Vice President of the United States of America. I think she had a t chance to win the gubernatorial seat for governors California. There were some people who thought otherwise. There were some people thought that she had chances in the past. She had a chance to be the president in twenty twenty, she had a chance to be the president in twenty twenty four.
Speaker 2: Both chances came up short, and that.
Speaker 1: Her star has dissipated dramatically, and that she probably would not have won the governor's.
Speaker 2: Chair for the state of California. I beg to differ.
Speaker 1: I think she would have had a chance, but she's entitled to her feelings. She knows what's best for her, and I wish her nothing but the best. What I will say is this, respectfully, I hope she's not pushing aside the race for governor for the state of California because she thinks she has a chance in twenty twenty eight.
Speaker 2: I don't believe that's the case.
Speaker 1: I don't believe that Kamala Harris nor any Democrat from the old guard per se has a chance. I think the only shot a Democrat has of winning the presidentc c in twenty twenty eight is for there to be complete new blood.
Speaker 2: The old god needs to be purged. Now.
Speaker 1: That doesn't mean somebody like AOC needs to replace Chuck Schumer, as you know, a minority whipping the Senate.
Speaker 2: That doesn't mean that needs to happen.
Speaker 1: Because the more progressive you go, the further way you go from the center as a Democratic Party, the less your chances are going to be of recapturing the White House.
Speaker 2: You will not do it.
Speaker 1: And Kamala Harris, sad to say, couldn't make it to Iowa to the IOWUR caucuses in twenty twenty and despite having over a billion and a half dollars to spend, probably in some people's eyes, because she has such a short period of time to really campaign against Donald Trump, they're trying to blame it on that loss.
Speaker 2: No, that's not it.
Speaker 1: You were the vice president when Joe Biden was the president, when he clearly was a bit diminished. I never blamed her for not saying anything. Who's going to dime out their boss. But what could have happened collectively was for folks within the Democratic Party to rally and insist and ultimately do what they ended up doing in July of twenty twenty four when they forced Joe Biden to step down and acknowledge that he was not going to run for reelection. You might not have been able to get him to leave office at that particular moment in time, nor should you have.
Speaker 2: Because he was in office, you ride the wave.
Speaker 1: But for folks to try to sell the American people that that man could give you four more years with such an egregious miscalculation on a part of the Democratic Party, anybody associated with it, whether directly or indirectly, is toast and there's no way you're winning an e lefe. So I sincerely hope that Kamala Harris is making this decision with the understanding that she's got a lot of things to achieve in her life that she can achieve.
Speaker 2: She's smart, she's educated.
Speaker 1: She's a former vice president, she's a former senator, she's a former prosecutor, a former state attorney general. There's a lot of things that she can do. She just don't need to have herself thinking about the presidency of the United States. That ain't gonna happen. They're in my opinion, there is no way in hell she would win the Democratic nomination, let alone the presidency in twenty twenty eight.
Speaker 2: So since she's.
Speaker 1: Not running for California governor, unless she plans on doing that at a later date, she's essentially telling us her political career is over. I don't know if that's what she's saying, but it certainly seems that way.
Speaker 2: She's not winning the presidency. Y'all.
Speaker 1: I told you about Joe Biden more than a year in advance, and I'm telling you about Kamala Harris now she ain't winning the presidency. They won't do it. I'm telling you right now. Remember I said that. Remember I said that.
Speaker 2: That took for this edition to the Stephen Nate Spishal, I gotta get on out of here. I hope y'all enjoyed the show.
Speaker 1: Thanks again to the great Arnold Schwarzenegger for coming on the show and talking about his hit Netflix series Football Season two June twelfth, don't miss it. Stephen a signing off until the next time ladies and gentlemen. I gotta go back to covering the NBA Finals.
Speaker 2: I'll see you soon. Tell that piece of Leven