Speaker 1: Hello, ladies and gentlemen, welcome to the very first episode of Nightcap Up and Ocho. I am up, Shannon Sharp. He is Chad Ocho Sinko Johnson, and thank you. Thank you for joining us. I'm very excited. Oh Jo, how are you feeling about this?
Speaker 2: Man? I feel good. I feel good. Listen.
Speaker 3: I never stay up this late, I never stay up this this time of night. But for you, I'm willing to do anything.
Speaker 1: Well, I sure appreciate that. Let's jump right into it, Yes, sir, First, our first topic our Rock Party and the San Francisco forty nine Ers. This good or did the Steelers just have a bad day?
Speaker 2: Listen?
Speaker 3: Rock Perty and the forty nine Ers are that good? They showed you that last year. Yes, he told you that last year. Rock Party. Mister ir Relevant coming in taking Garoppolo's place. He's very relevant now. He's very relevant now. And the supporting cast offensively. You got brother Bosa on the other side. His job is so easy. Brandon Ayuk has emerged as a true number one receiver with two touchdowns a day, debo at some point and going to get going. They're gonna get him, get him acclimated into the offense and get him, get him his touches, and he gonna do what he's what he's always done. They are the real deal. They are the real deal.
Speaker 1: I agree with you. All brock Purdy did today would show you why they were so willing to move on from Trey Lance when they moved heaven and earth to get him. So he crystallized it. If there was any doubt in anybody's mind, why would you give up so much to get a man and only and move out for him after three years? Well you saw brock Purty and the way he orchestrated the offense.
Speaker 2: You mentioned it.
Speaker 1: They got Debo, they got Brandon Ayuk Kittles didn't get involved. But the biggest acquisition was made last year the trade deadline, when they got Christian McCaffrey. He can do it all. He can run between the tackles, he can get outside. You can put him in this, you can swing it to him and he can get you a first down, as you saw today, he can hit his head on the goal post also. But one a signing that went unnoticed is that you mentioned Joe Bosa on the outside. You got Armstead, but they signed your own heart Rove They brought him in to shore up the middle. So now you can't go any where. You got two guys pushing on the inside. You got a guy that's coming off the edge. The best middle linebacker in football is Fred Award. He a heat seeking missile. They're gonna be to deal with a lot of people questioned, well, why would you put them number two over the Eagles?
Speaker 2: I think they answered that question today. They did. They most definitely did.
Speaker 3: And the funny thing about it is we talk about teams having an identity. Noally, a team has an identity either offense is the identity is offense, or the idea is defense. The forty nine is one of the few teams in the NFL where the identity is on both sides of the There's quality on both sides of the ball, yes, in all three phases, whether it's offense or whether it's defense. And how they were able to fit all that under the salary cap beyond me, Yes, beyond me. But if they're gonna get it done, they're gonna have to get it done right now because at some point Rock Party is coming to the table and there's no way they're gonna be able to keep that team together the way it is right now.
Speaker 1: Well, one thing I know about Kyle Shanahan, and I've known him for a very long time, and he has a lot of similarities to his father. There is no rebuilding, there's only retooling. They're going for it every year. And if you look at the roster that they've assembled, that roster is ready to compete for at least, as you mentioned, the next two years. Now, Rock Party is only going into his second year, so they're probably not gonna do anything and probably until that third year. Right, So they basically got a two year window because Rock Party is going to go from making two million dollars to somewhere around forty to fifty million dollars within the next the next twenty four months.
Speaker 2: I have another question though.
Speaker 3: I have another question though this is the fact, the fact that the matter still remains. Is Rock Purty as good as he is or is he only shining because his supporting cast is that great?
Speaker 1: Well us sometimes as long as he understands who he is. I played with a guy named Trent Delver. Now Trent was Trent tom Brady or Peyton Manning. No, but he didn't need to be and Rock Party doesn't need to be Patrick Mahomes. He doesn't need to be one of these franchise quarterbacks. He just needs to be the Look. I got great players, I got great horn players, I got great percussionists. Hey, Bruk, all I need you to do is this right here? Just stay on beat and as long as he stays on beat, they'll be just fine.
Speaker 2: So what about the Steelers? What didn't you like about the Steelers today?
Speaker 3: Listen, the Steelers were flat. They were flat, and all three phases offensively, special teams, defense, defense was flat. Obviously, when I think about the Steelers, I think of the Steelers of the two thousands. You think of the Steelers of the two thousands. Anytime you play this, you had to come in the stadium with two ten straps. Yeah, they're gona not They're gonna knock.
Speaker 2: The first one off for you.
Speaker 3: They're gonna knock the first one off for Yes, that's the way they played.
Speaker 2: Identity.
Speaker 3: I talk about identity every time, and that's something that the Steelers always had. Listen, what Tom has been able to do and being above five hundred what seventeen years running, I'm not sure.
Speaker 2: I don't know the numbers. Correctly.
Speaker 3: But he's had a winning season almost every really every season he's been there, he's been he's never had a losing season, never had a losing season. But the fact of the matter still remains. They aren't the same still as of old. The game has evolved and they don't have identity right now. Offensively, they got to get going. They got to get the picket, the picket and pickings train.
Speaker 2: I was on it.
Speaker 3: I'm waiting to see it. Obviously it didn't happen in week one because you did have to play against the phenomenal team like the forty nine ers to open your season up. I think they'll rebound. I think they'll rebound next week. But as far as the game the forty nine ers.
Speaker 2: You're gonna have to get.
Speaker 1: You're definitely gonna have to get better play out of the quarterback position, because I don't care in today's game. You know oo, back in the day you brought your running game. You play defense, you can minimize the quarterback. You can minimize the quarterback, but now teams will force you to make your quarterback be a participant, yeah, and not a cheerleader. Yeah, So you can't hide it. I can hide every other position on the field. I can slide the offensive line to protect an offensive lineman, I can rotate the coverage, protect the corner or safety. You can't hide that guy because he touches the ball every single time. And I'm gonna make you for I'm gonna force him to have to make plays to beat me.
Speaker 2: But you know, you know it's really unfair.
Speaker 3: It's really unfair to justine Steelers week one, a team like the forty nine ers, that is totally unfair, totally unfair because it's gonna take them time.
Speaker 1: I gotta, I gotta, I got a better whip for number two. Who had the more impressive day, Jordan Love or tour.
Speaker 3: Oo Too's beautiful today to a tour and beautiful. I can't remember the number, but I know he threw for fifty six, three touchdowns and three tds. Tyreek is responsible for two of those. I'm not mistaken, right, Yes, so, Tyreek, he guaranteed. He says he wants to be on pace for two thousand yards. He is on pace to get two thousand plus and some more yet.
Speaker 2: But I think the fact.
Speaker 3: That we didn't know what Jordan Love would be, We didn't know what we were gonna.
Speaker 2: Get Aaron Rodney. He sat behind Aaron Rodgers for three years.
Speaker 3: So you don't know what you get until it's out there and the bullets are flying for real and you get a small sample size of what you would get if what we saw today, If what we saw today from Jordan Love is the coming of what he's going to be, or Packers fans and for another good another beautiful decade of having a great quarterback at the Helm.
Speaker 1: I agree with you. I'm gonna say Jordan Love for the very reasons that you said, because he's following Aaron Rodgers, a four time League MVP, a Super Bowl winner, a Super Bowl MVP, arguably one of the arguably the greatest throw of the football that I've seen.
Speaker 2: He and Dan Marina.
Speaker 1: We'll let them get in the room and discuss that who's the better throw of the football. But he's inn he if there's a conversation going on, he's in that conversation Aaron Rodgers, and the pressure, the expectations, because nothing kills dreams and and and makes you come back to reality more so than expectations. There's an expectation that this kid is the real deal. Remember they traded up to get him. They ticked off Aaron Rodgers because they traded up to get them off and had had to come back in pain and hady and had to make him happy. And he never forgave them for that. So you're on the road your first I mean, one of the what he started in Kansas City. But now he knows the ship is his. They've removed everything around him. The ship is yours. You're playing your divisions, your division rival it's the oldest rivalry in the NFL. And and he says, you know what the faith was? Well put, I know it's one game, and I'm like you, oh, Joe, I don't like putting a whole lot of stock in one game. But if you look, can't the way he threw the football, it reminded you a little Aaron Rodgers, his release point, the way he jumped it through the ball and Aaron Jones scored a touchdown on it. He threw a ball, He threw a couple of balls to Dobs. I was like, this kid looked like he has the goods. Oh yeah, listen.
Speaker 3: I had the opportunity of going to the joint practice between the Packers and the Bengals earlier, earlier in the in the preseason, and I was able to watch him play obviously watching from TV. It doesn't do you no justice. You know, listen to the media talk about players. You understand that he sat behind Aaron Rodgers for a long time. You hear people talk about him being polished, and you don't really have an understanding on why they went up to grab him early. But then when I get seen in person, you know, against the Bengals, even though it's a joint practice, still you can just you can just see it. You get his or his energy, and watching him throw the ball, I'm like, okay, okay, okay. And today was another small that was a small sample size to me. But then seeing on display live and in color, when it's time to go and you got to show out, man, he showed up and he showed out.
Speaker 1: Oh till you know what they used to say, You don't want to be the man that follows the man. You want to be the man that followed the man that followed the man. So like Aaron Rodgers, he followed Brett far Her and I think he says, okay, Brett was great. That was a tall task. Now that was a tall task. So you got what fifteen sixteen years of that? Okay, here comes Aaron Rodgers. You have so basically, you've had thirty almost thirty five years of great play at quarterback. You've got seven MVPs, two Super Bowls, three Super Bowl appearances.
Speaker 2: That's what Jordan Love is following.
Speaker 1: Do you understand the no quarterback in the history of the game has had to follow what this young man is following. Seven MVPs, three super Bowl appearances, two super Bowl wins, and you're talking about two. You can make a case that far edon Rodgers. I believe Rogers is no question. In my book, Rogers the top five quarterback. Brett made the All Century Team. So he's a top five quarterback, top ten quarterback at the at the bare minimum.
Speaker 2: And that's what Jordan Love is following. Now.
Speaker 1: I'm not saying that he's gonna go out and throw three touchdowns every game and he's gonna be as clean down the road as he was today. But I think most people like what they saw today.
Speaker 3: Listen it and when you when you go when you go buy a car, right, when you go to the car line, yes, right, and your test drive a car Yes, that's a small sample size of what you're gonna get when you spend your money. Right, what I saw from Jordan Love today was enough of a small samba size of what's to come throughout the season. We know it's gonna be ups and downs, right, that's a part of the game. We know it's gonna be ups and downs.
Speaker 2: But how soon?
Speaker 1: How soon are those ups and downs coming? Because when I buy a car, I don't need no ups and downs in the first six months of the first year. I just go out there and stick the kid and ignition Well, there's not going to stick the kid. Ignition is push the button. Push the button.
Speaker 3: Now by the time you get the week six, Now that you're like gonna come on now, you're gonna have to get your feel chain.
Speaker 1: I show hope they'll come on that quick for Jordan Love, but I think he was He was impressive. I think for me and I understand two or three for four hundred and sixty six yards. He had three touchdown. They won the shootout with the Chargers. But I was more impressed with Jordan Love given the level of expectations, right of what what was placed on his shoulders.
Speaker 3: I think the funny part about it is understanding the footsteps that he has to follow behind and breathes.
Speaker 2: And Aaron Rodgers I've.
Speaker 3: Seen I've seen two or throw for four hundred to Tyreek or.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, and the last that last week, two week three last year against Baltimore.
Speaker 3: I've seen him do that before. So seeing seeing Jordan Love live up to the expectations. Oh so this is why y'all jumped up like this. Oh so this is why Aaron Rodgers was mad. Now I get it. I have a better understanding.
Speaker 1: Now you see why those quarterbacks, when they take those quarterbacks, they do everything they possibly can to keep them on the bench. They take all the reps, even the kneel down, even in victory formation. Tom Brady was taking nil downs. Peyton Manning's taking Neil downs. Drew Brees is taking Neil downs. I'm gonna go back. I'm I'm gonna go back, not too far, Foxborough. Tom Brady has somebody over his shoulder. Yeah, horn Star, Jimmy, Jimmy. I don't think it doesn't sit well with him being the person behind me. Hey, somebody got to get him up out of.
Speaker 2: Here, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if you and I know that they want this kid to play oh yeah, oh yeah, And I get it. And they're looking for every reason I have an off game. They're like, well, maybe he doesn't have it. They're looking for a reason to move on. Because I've already got your air parent, I've got your replacement already in the building.
Speaker 2: I don't have to look always. I'm gonna go.
Speaker 1: We're gonna go to something near and dear to your heart. A couple of days ago, Jamar Chase says, I really don't pay attention to the hype around them because Cleveland is Cleveland. It feels like a regular game to me. It's just them hooping and hollering about the Cleveland Browns. But yeah, we call them the Els. But yeah, the L's put something on you today. The L puts something on you today, Ojo, the L Listen. We didn't we didn't play good football we as a whole. And I'm saying we because I'm a part of the team. So it happened to them that it happened to me as well. Game and it's entirety. I didn't miss anything. I didn't miss a beat, I didn't blink. But what I'm gonna do offensively, we didn't play well. Defensively, we didn't play well. Special teams, we didn't play well. Right, we didn't do Didney Squad today. I'm a stand on that. The L's comment, the L's comment. Jamar said what he said, but you got to stand on it and got back. You gotta back that up, Thjo. You gotta back that up. You know what you say when you talk crazy when you should send the pepto bismo and you send the band aids because you said, I don't know why I send your band aaze because I can't do anything. A bunch of feelings you got you got to get. You got to get those straight. You gotta you gotta get those straight before you come come to the game.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: But listen, he didn't have the game he wanted to. Nobody did. And what what what I like about Jamar? This is what this is what I love about him. Not only did he say the L's comment, he came back again and hit him with the L's comment again and say.
Speaker 2: He was upset because we lost to the man. So we stood on it. He did, He stood on it. He did.
Speaker 3: I'm proud of him. And this is one thing about the Bengals. For some reason, it happens all the time. We start slow, we start slow, we start slow offensively, and then at some point we hit a groove and we were on all cylinders.
Speaker 1: Oh Joe, y'all spend all this money, Yes, sir, y'all can't do a better job of protecting that man.
Speaker 2: In what y'all? I mean? Orlando Brown was trending.
Speaker 1: Offensive line should be trending unless he's some some some sauce.
Speaker 3: Listen to me, Listen to me, and and people that are going to see this. Let's let's let's have a better understand. And when you play a divisional game, you're playing an opponent that you're very familiar with. Yeah, yeah, they know your offense, they know your tendencies. You know, you can only do so much dressing up.
Speaker 2: You know, your offensive.
Speaker 3: Scheme and game plan doesn't change much. The only thing that changes is really the formations, just to fool and based.
Speaker 2: On what you're doing right, you know, you know, it's only so much you could do. So they're familiar with you.
Speaker 3: Browns bangled to the rivalry that's been going on for who knows god how long you know, I don't know who how long it's been going on, but it will always be close. It's sometime they's going to be a shootout today. Today just wasn't our day. And that's okay. Congratulating to the Browns. Congratulation to the Browns. But I know when it comes time playoff time, I know who won't be in the.
Speaker 2: Running, Ojo.
Speaker 3: I know who running North. Let me, let me, let's talk about that. I know who running North. We are we hooping, the hollering by week one week one.
Speaker 2: Ain't never won nothing, o Jo.
Speaker 1: I give you eighteen million dollars a year. I want you to tell me about that deep. We in the same division, and he know my tendencies. I'll pay you eighteen million dollars to go get open and the beating. I don't care if he's in your division. I don't care if he's your neighbor. I don't care if y'all grew up together, y'all homeboys, right, what they got to do with him blocking Miles Garrett?
Speaker 3: Now we talk about Miles Garrett. Now we ain't just talk about no. We ain't talking about no. No, dude, we just got off the corner just playing DM. We talked about Miles Garrett, one of the best, if one of the best, if not the best, right behind him, right behind Bosa and in the Watts.
Speaker 1: Hello, so what so what we we just told? You mean to tell me we just gave up thirty how much they gave him? They gave him forty million dollars guaranteed, fully guaranteed. Right, and now I got the and they chipped the man on every plate.
Speaker 3: But listen, we tried to chip the man. We try to do everything possible to give our tackles help to be able to nullify the rush of Miles Garrett. But it's difficult. It's an at testament to how great and good he is.
Speaker 1: You know out you know what a Mike Brown saying, y'all don't need no help to pick these checks up. I ain't see y'all they brought now one, y'all, they brought one extra person upstairs to pick up these checks. Y'all didn't have no other name on that direct deposit slip. But now all of a sudden, y'all want help. So whoever y'all have them.
Speaker 3: Checks, don't do my bangles like that. You played, listen, you played, you played on offenses. Yes, there was always there was always a wink league on the offensive line where you got there. You got to bring your back, you got to have your back chip when you got to bring the receiver in a little tighter before you release off the line, or you gotta you gotta.
Speaker 2: Chip the d in just a little bit before you go off. Don't do that. I was bang like that.
Speaker 1: I was very fortunate. Two of my left tackles are the Pro Football Hall of Fame. One of us on the Sell one hundred. That adversary te Jonathan Dogen and Gary Zimmerlman. So it wasn't a whole lot of chippy. It wasn't a whole lot of chipping going on.
Speaker 2: You're right, you're right, you're right, you're right.
Speaker 1: We slide the line the other way because you say, if you're saying, you make them. Normally the left tackle makes the most money on the offensive line.
Speaker 3: Oh ways, the blind side of the quarterback unless he left handed.
Speaker 1: We we slide the line the other way. You one on one and he gotta rock Bruce. He gotta deal with Reggie White, he gotta deal with he gotta deal with DT, he gotta deal with LT. That's what he got on his plate. Now, y'all the name that I just named, y'all know who they are.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, y'all know who they are. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So I don't know what y'all got going on with Joe, But y'all needn't get that fixed.
Speaker 3: It's week one. It's week one. We don't, we don't, We don't need to. We don't need to hit the panic button. We don't need to. It's week one for one half of half of them, half of them ain't even playing in the preseason. So this, this one, this one, this, this is a good game for us to get acclimated to game tempo, game speed, build that chemistry, and we're gonna be right.
Speaker 2: Watch what happened week two though, you know what, Ojo, Watch what happened week two? Who they don't get me?
Speaker 1: I think that's what we see a lot of these soft tissue because a lot of time you're asking a guy to go, Okay, we just gonna go thirty forty miles an hour. Then all of a sudden comes Sunday, we want you to go one hundred to one hundred and fifty. And you see a lot of hamstrings, You see a lot of quads, you see a lot of calf injuries because you're asking the body to do something that it had I needed to play. I wanted to put my body under the stress of being in the preseason and that when the regular season came, I'm ready to go.
Speaker 2: I felt very comfortable.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, you gotta you gotta put your body through the ringer. You gotta put through the ringer. You gotta shock the body so the body gets used to playing at a high rate of speed.
Speaker 2: Yes, getting hit. Yes, I enjoyed two a days.
Speaker 3: I know the CBA wanted to scale back on things to protect the players and protect the body.
Speaker 2: They look the player, the player.
Speaker 1: The players bargain for petty privileges, right instead of getting let me ask you a question, would you rather go two a day's or would you rather have three quarters or fully guaranteed contracts? You see what they're bargain for. They bargain, Oh, we ain't got to practice but once a day on any camp.
Speaker 2: The other time meeting. But you ain't got no guaranteed contracts.
Speaker 1: Right, Baseball guarantee, basketball guarantee, soccer guarantee. You play the most physical, grueling sport and you don't have lifetime benefits. Basketball players lifetime, baseball players lifetime. Once you get vested, you see how they bargain for pure We will talk about another day and time last. That's the last topic. Dak and the Cowboys roll all over the Giants forty zip for one.
Speaker 3: I'm glad the Cowboys won. I'm glad the Cowboys won. I'm glad the Cowboys won because I want everybody to get off that back it the defense, the defense, Yeah, irational giving for the fourteen point lead.
Speaker 2: Yes, gave him a fourteen point lead.
Speaker 3: Offensively, all Dak had to do was just facilitate control the game.
Speaker 2: And number one, no turnovers. No turn it over, don't turn, don't turn, don't.
Speaker 3: Turn the ball over. Give them nothing to say, give them nothing to say.
Speaker 1: If I'm the Giant fan, y'all mean to tell me that's y'all gave forty million, forty plus million dollars to Daniel Jones for that.
Speaker 2: That's what y' that's what ya paid it for.
Speaker 3: A minute, you know who they were supposed to pay. You're supposed to pay your running back. You're supposed to pay your running back. Your running back is the one that deserves the forty million dollars because the running back is the offense. That is your offense. If you leave the offense in Daniel Jones hands, you get what you got tonight, right, because you got tonight.
Speaker 1: Because once he fell back, once he felt I agree with you, because once you fell behind, you took sa Quan out of the game. So now Saquan is not a threat. So now you get Parsons, you get you get armstrong, and you get d Low, you get those guys pinning their ears back because then there's no thread of the run. As long as there's third of the run. I just need you to hesitate for a second. I have an old coach to tell me and say, son, he who hesitates beat, All I need you to do is hesitate for a second. But when Parsons and a Ziggie Duer, a Ziggie Duer is jumping out the rock like they're jumping out the rock with no hesitation because there's thread of the run. You down fourteen nothing, you down twenty six nothing. You're running what we're bout to run? You out your building. That's the only thing about to get runned.
Speaker 2: Did you see Makai coming off the edge. Yes, I saw Michaeh man.
Speaker 3: Michael, I'm talk about Mikay, I'm about man.
Speaker 2: I ain't.
Speaker 3: I ain't never seen nobody shoot shoot off the edge like that man.
Speaker 1: Because because, oh Joe, you know, you can't shoot up if there's a thread of the run, because all you're doing is making a You're making a bigger.
Speaker 2: Gap for the back to get through.
Speaker 1: But he knows you're down twenty, you're down nineteen, nothing, you're down twenty six, nothing running no football.
Speaker 2: Ain't nothing to worry about it. And even if.
Speaker 1: You do run it, so what all you're gonna do is run out of time trying to catch up.
Speaker 3: So you pay your quarterback? What forty minis?
Speaker 2: I must? I must they pay him? They're playing in forty were making forty million.
Speaker 3: Okay, making forty million, So if you got a forty million dollars quarterback, you didn't want to pay your running back. So you're in a situation when you're down twenty and you're losing, and you want to be able to put the ball in your forty quarterbacks hands.
Speaker 1: That's not what he is and have him to do something that's not what That's not what he is though.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, So who who is the one that runs the offense and makes that offense go with the Giants offen off after.
Speaker 1: That?
Speaker 2: You know what?
Speaker 3: Thank you?
Speaker 2: Yeah? So, why didn't.
Speaker 3: Get a man his money understanding the importance and how important he is for.
Speaker 1: Let me ask your question, what's the the average length of an NFL player is? Let's just say, for the sake of argument, for what we're discussing right now, is three years?
Speaker 2: It is?
Speaker 1: It is two to three Okay, three years. And let's just say a really good player you're gonna play somewhere for a running back, right, you say you got his peak, he could be somewhere around three to six years. Well before they did the contract with Saquan, he already had four. So if you're telling me only, I've already paid it. So you mean to tell me you will me to give him another five year deal when he only got two four years a peak?
Speaker 3: Since who I don't, I don't, I don't, I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't like those numbers. I don't, I don't. I don't like those numbers. I'm just I don't like that. I don't like them.
Speaker 3: Everything everything the numbers a play A player of sa Quon's caliber can play.
Speaker 2: He plays the running back position right.
Speaker 3: And he's a little different than other running backs. I think he can play based on running style, body type.
Speaker 2: He can play.
Speaker 3: He can he can play top level football for about eight, eight.
Speaker 2: Or nine to ten years.
Speaker 1: But here's the thing. It's like, well, you know when that give these baseball players these ten year contracts. Yeah, okay, the first five.
Speaker 2: Years, he's like, oh boy, you see them numbers.
Speaker 1: Within the last the last four years, they're hitting two thirty making forty three million. And now all of a sudden, so are you going to tell me at the end of the contract, Because here's the thing. Now, I already paid you. I gotta pay you based on what I believe you can do. Oh yo, where they pay you? You work your job? They said, man, you don't jo showed up every day for ten years. They're not gonna pay you because they believe you gon show up for another ten years. They already paid you for the ten ers that you showed up. Because now they gonna say, ah, man, the running back position. He done got three hundred carries on his bot on his legs. I just don't know.
Speaker 2: I'm just telling you how they think we can't do that.
Speaker 3: And that's what's wrong with the owners now. Because you're thinking like that, you're trying to you're trying to be greedy, and you get exposed offensively like this because you have nothing, you have nowhere for for Daniel Jones to go with the ball when things aren't going well, you know who I can rely on. Let's get the ball to Sakon. Let's reset many, let's reset offensively. We can give it to him until we can facilitate and get the running game going. We're gonna throw something short, we could throw something, you know, intermediate working play action. If you don't have no running game, the whole office is dead.
Speaker 1: Because you see, with no threat of running game. Now, those offensive linemank out of their stance because the d linemen are running around them.
Speaker 3: Listen, they putting them ears back, and it's they all to tell.
Speaker 1: I mean when we when we jumped on here last I saw they had they had I think six sacks. I don't know what they ended up with. Maybe they started running the ball, if I'm saying, Quad probably was out of the game and they probably started running it. But when you fall behind like that, it's hard, it's it's it's I've been in a situation where we fall behind like that and they know we're not going to run the ball because we haven't run it all night.
Speaker 2: And it's just it's just it's just a bad feeling.
Speaker 3: And there's another team that's gonna suffer. I hate to go off topic. I know we're not talking about this to night, but the Indianapolis Colts, that's another team that's going to suffer for not.
Speaker 2: Wanting to pay in elite running.
Speaker 3: Back at the position he helped that.
Speaker 2: Hey, let me ask you a question. Let me question.
Speaker 3: Don't do that. You know that sometimes you gotta play the game. Sometimes you gotta play the game. You know we're not hurt.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm just I'm just saying, let me ask you a question. You think let me Okay, you take you take a medical lead? Yeah, how many jobs gonna give you a raise doing a medical lead?
Speaker 3: We depending on how good you are, It don't matter at the depending on depending on how let's let depending on how good you are with me having a great understanding of what I'm getting.
Speaker 2: Business on a medical lead?
Speaker 1: Your businessman, somebody, what are your workers? Your worker comes to you and he says, oh, you I want to raise but before you give me that raise, I'm going this medical lead for about three four weeks.
Speaker 3: No, hold on, hold on, I'm not even gonna play the game with him though, I'm not gonna play the name. I'm gonna tell you why. I'm not what I'm gonna pay you. Whether I'm gonna pay you or not, it's based on how good you are. How good he is is right there. You can't take that from him. All was turn the film on you understand how, yes, Jonathan Taylor is for that coach offense. Not only do you have a rookie quarterback. Not only do you have a rookie quarterback. He has no outlet. You know, if if hell if I forgot what mc grandma used to say, if if he needed somewhere to go, if he had a blindfold on, if he was wearing a blindfold and he snapped the ball and needed somewhere to go with the ball. Jonathan Taylor is the one person that he can count on on all three downs, the one person you can count on on all three downs.
Speaker 2: He is a three down back.
Speaker 1: But I also think what hurt some of the running backs is that when they paid some of the other running backs that came before them, they immediately the production dropped or they got injured. You remember when Jonathan Taylor, he came out the eighteen hundred yard season, he got hurt last year. This is TA ball, So what you want me to do?
Speaker 3: You but you're paying your quarterbacks forty and fifty million, And we talked about using injury as an excuse not to pay a running back.
Speaker 1: That's what they do because he play a more dangerous position, you know what.
Speaker 2: I just but see, see.
Speaker 1: If you'd have got to get if you got your if you'd got to guarantee contract, but you ain't got a practical once.
Speaker 2: A day in training camp O Joe. That's all you practice was a day. You straight. That's a good comeback, and that's a good comeback.
Speaker 1: But if you think about it, got it seems and I could be wrong because I don't have any data, but it damn sure seems like guys get hurt more now. And they practiced less than they did when we played, and we practiced more because I had coach Reeves with my coach and he was a coach Landry knockoff.
Speaker 2: If we got it, we got it in.
Speaker 3: I think one of the reasons that more people are getting having soft tissue injuries, or they're breaking stuff, or the body's falling apart, and they're much younger, and you shouldn't be getting hurt when you're this young. Is the fact that one, you don't practice enough, you don't put the body has to go through ringer. Yes, the body has to build a callous and and and be run not into the ground, but just run at high speeds. Yes, until it's time to go. Because when it's time to go, you ready to go, and you ain't pulling nothing. That also number two nutrition, they ain't eating right. They're not eating right. They're putting all this green stuff in the boy eating all this healthy stuff.
Speaker 1: Man, go ahead, then you listen.
Speaker 3: That's not helping the body. That's not helping you be able to go out there and perform at a high level.
Speaker 2: At does not Shannon Sharp does not approve this message that OO is. I'm just telling you that. I'm just telling you what it is.
Speaker 1: But I tell you what I do think it is. I don't think these guys give their boy enough time to recover because soon as the season or what.
Speaker 3: They're not doing, they're not doing nothing. What they recovering from. But what are they recovering from.
Speaker 1: As soon as the season over with, the guys are right back doing speed workouts, back right back doing Oh yeah, I'm back in the laugh bro.
Speaker 2: Give your body a chance to recover.
Speaker 1: I don't care the NFL season, even though Ocho the rules are a lot different than when I came into the league. Whenever I was trying to transition and it got it's a little different than when you left the league, But you still got to give your body a chance to recover because you still went out there and did what you did over the course of five six months.
Speaker 2: Right, I don't, I don't, I don't know. I don't know.
Speaker 3: I think I gradually started. Yes, super Bowl ended with February. I think I gradually started the first week of March. Yes, we built my way into the program. Yes, I went into an off season program in some type of shape, and then I went on from there and built my way into getting in and play in shape or whatever it is I need to do.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, Well I did. I did my own thing, and that's how it was. I took the whole month of February off. I would gradually build each each week in March. By the time May rolled around, I was probably seventy five percent of where I needed to be, knowing that I had June in July because training camp was going to start to the end of July.
Speaker 2: Hey, I was I was ready to go. I was ready to go.
Speaker 3: I really want to I really wanted to talk to some of these individuals that continue to get hurt.
Speaker 2: Okay, what would you tell them, Cooper Cup?
Speaker 3: Yes, y'all, come on over here to me, Cooper Cup, come on over to me. Let me talk to you. Let me tell you what I did because I played twelve thirteen, yeah, thirteen years, no injuries, not one, not one.
Speaker 2: Sometimes they might have one balances, now you.
Speaker 3: Know, yeah, in balance, they ain't eating right. That's one.
Speaker 2: In balance.
Speaker 3: They're not eating right, and they're not bad food it. They're not putting their body through the ringer enough. I took every rep, scout team, first team, I ran down on special teams.
Speaker 2: I'm doing all this o jo.
Speaker 1: You do realize that when you play a professional sport, especially the sport of football, and you don't get injured, you know, there's a lot of luck in that.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of no, no, no, did don't do that. There's a lot of luck. It is it is. It is no luck, no luck.
Speaker 3: Listen, it's called preparation. It's called preparation, you know, you know in the summer when I was a little kid.
Speaker 2: Right, listen to me. And where where you grew up at we grew U grew up in South Georgia. You grew up in South Georgia. I grew up in Liberty City.
Speaker 3: In the summer, I couldn't go in the house, No, of course I had. I couldn't go in the house. Grandma, I'm trying to come in and get something to drink. Now, go to the water holes on the side of the house and drink from the water holes.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, absolutely, that's the way it was. Yes. Did you get hurt when? Did you get hurt when you were little? If you got hurt, well, you.
Speaker 3: Get hurt when you were little, is what I'm asking.
Speaker 2: I'm sure.
Speaker 1: I'm sure I got hurt. But you weren't going to the doctor to do what? Who going to the doctor?
Speaker 2: Ocho?
Speaker 3: Hey, did y'all have y'all had the Candy Lady House where you from? Did you have the Candon Lady House in South Georgia. Did y'all have frozen cups?
Speaker 2: Did you eat frozen cups? No? No, we didn't. I'm from the country.
Speaker 1: I had a route. I had route four, box three eighty five. Anybody that knows about this in the South, where you have a route number you in the country?
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, yes, I'm just I'm just trying to give you a better understand on fast food.
Speaker 2: Fast food is not to answer people.
Speaker 1: Fast food is good and moderation for what he's tried, he's tried to get you to do as a high as a high powered athlete.
Speaker 2: Question.
Speaker 3: Listen, the high power athletes keep getting injured year in and year out. The numbers continue to increase.
Speaker 2: Tom Brady didn't get injured? What Tom Brady didn't get injured? He didn't. He didn't get hurt. He got hurt one time in twenty three seasons.
Speaker 3: Okay, so why listen, why do we get how many?
Speaker 2: How many? How many injuries you think you would have had if you'd played twenty three seasons? None? You wouldn't none. O. Stop it.
Speaker 3: I haven't got hurt yet. I'm fifty five, I ain't.
Speaker 2: Been hurt yet, and I'm still active. I'm still playing.
Speaker 1: You you ain't football actor. Go out there, go out there and catch that three I bet you won't go I didn't catch that three slips.
Speaker 3: And when I when I caught him, when I was playing, I made a business decision.
Speaker 2: I'm not gonna get hurt. Just how you hell would be looking. You bet the ear hole be right there.
Speaker 3: Listen, if if it came down to it, if push came to shove, I can go out there right now. I put up fourteen hundred right now, fourteen hundred what fourteen hundred yards?
Speaker 2: You you would be talking that a B lead that a B that.
Speaker 3: Have you not seen the rules? You can't touch, you can't hit nobody, you can't do nothing. You they basically playing with flags out there. I'm not getting fourteen hundred right now.
Speaker 2: O Jo, you donet been away from the game. You don't forgot how to.
Speaker 3: Fall, bro Listen, I don't forget. I ain't good. I did jiu jitsu just like tour. I know how to okay okay jiu jitsu. But you know, you know, even when you leave the game, you take that time off from the time the season end until it starts. Your spidery senses have to start tingling because you gotta know where.
Speaker 1: Okay, I ran this route. It was this coverage that HiT's gonna come from this place. So I ran this route and it can't. So you got to feel that all over again. So now you don't. But Bro, you'd have been away from the game for a decade.
Speaker 3: Listen, I've been away from the game for a decade, but I still remember. I still remember coverages. I play Madden. I play Madden. So Madden Madden in real life is really the same thing. It's the same.
Speaker 2: No, it's not really the same.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm telling you it is. You just got you gotta know the game. I know the game.
Speaker 2: Listen to me.
Speaker 3: Listen, Shannon, one thing about it. I lie for you before I lie to you.
Speaker 2: I can. Yeah, you're fourteen hundred right now. Well you lying on me right now.
Speaker 1: So with this you mentioned earlier, Tyreek said he wants to be the first guy to eclipse two thousand yard and he's gonna do that. He has eleven for two fifteen. I thought he was on his way until tour got hurt. Remember too, it got hurt last year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, he got ding.
Speaker 1: Towards the end of the season. With a foot injury. Yeah, do you believe to it can go over too? I mean, do you believe Tyreek can go over two thousand bushes?
Speaker 2: Absolutely?
Speaker 3: Absolutely, he can go over to He can go over two thousand. For one, what they do offensively, they put him in positions and create mismatches.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, with different.
Speaker 3: Formations, and they have special play design for him just to get him the ball. The funny thing about each play where they are on the field, Tyreek Hill is.
Speaker 2: A home run hitter. He's a threat.
Speaker 3: He's a home but he's a threat from anywhere on the field. And you make one mistake, you take one wrong angle, or you miss the tackle, he's gone.
Speaker 2: He's going to the house.
Speaker 3: One of the few players in the NFL back and do that where he is a threat from anywhere on the field, everybody ain't like that. So him saying I want to get or reach two thousand yards, it's possible, especially after the day.
Speaker 2: It's week one.
Speaker 3: How you got twenty fifteen yards already? Yeah, it's a no video game, this is real life.
Speaker 2: I think.
Speaker 1: The thing what makes him so dangerous because like you said, he's one of the there's only a handful of guys that could take a five yard route and turn it into an eighty five yard spectacular.
Speaker 2: There are very few guys.
Speaker 1: And because you look he he has track speed, but he's built like a football player. I played with a lot of guys that. James Jack was on the gold medal winning team at the Olympics in ninety two. Sam Graddy Wonder was the silver medicine in one hundred meters. He won the gold Mellan eighty for the relay team. But they were frail. They were thinly wind re built.
Speaker 2: If you if you've ever been up close to Tyreek he put together.
Speaker 1: He's a big old ball of muscle and you could tell that he's explosive and he can. He's turned himself into a very good route runner because before when he first got into the league, he was a return guy and a gadget guy, right, but he said, you know what, he worked on his game.
Speaker 2: He can run the route tree.
Speaker 1: And a guy with that kind of speed that can run the route tree, you got hell on your hands on.
Speaker 2: Joe do with that.
Speaker 3: And the funny thing about it is, most of the time, you know, you get very few receivers at that size that can play all the way out wide on the outside, not wide. You can put him in the backfield.
Speaker 2: Yes, you can put in.
Speaker 3: He can play the three, he can play the two. He can be anywhere on the field. So when I think about with the creativity that they have and what they could do with him offensively, him reaching two thousand is nothing.
Speaker 2: It's nothing.
Speaker 3: And especially when you get him acclimated into the offense and integrated into the offense and you and you winning and you get results like today.
Speaker 1: The thing is, he's one of those guys, and that's what happened with the guys like himself. If you get him going early, if you get him going, If no, you don't have to get him going, but throw him a few balls, let him feel them, let him feel the ball touch his hands. Then you got it for the rest of the game, the rest of the game. And Mike does a great job. He'll throw him a smoke, he'll throw him speed out, He'll do something to let him feel the ball. And today, I don't know what the charge you were thinking. I don't know why you would ever single him up. He looks. They can talk about whatever they want to. He's the most dangerous man in football. Regardless of position I'm talking about. If you talk about Aaron Donald, I'm talking about you talking about t J. Watt, if you talk about Miles Garrett, if you talk about Trent Williams. He is the most feared man in football.
Speaker 3: This is one of the things a lot of people get on me all the time. They always they always talk about you know, they ask me my top five receivers in the league. And one of the things that I rarely do is I rarely named Tyreek Hill. I really named Tyreek Hill because Tyreek Hill is in the class of his own. He's in the category of his own until I can think of a category where deserving to put him in. You know, he stands alone in his own right because of how special he is to the game in the position of playing wide receiver. And I just it's no, it's no disrespect to him. And just dude, you different, You different. There are no word to describe you when we're talking about other receivers because you're in a class all by yourself.
Speaker 1: Well, he definitely needs to be ninety nine. I don't know what y'all what y'all criteria is.
Speaker 2: Ninety eight right now? He needs to be not well, he needs to be one hundred. About one hundred, because I know he's a ninety eight.
Speaker 3: I'm the mad rings of justter and what I can do and what I probably will do tomorrow. Internally, I'll go in myself and I will make him a ninety nine myself, and if I get fired, I'm okay, and I'm gonna stand on that based off what he was able to do today, I.
Speaker 2: Mean, consider what he did last year.
Speaker 1: I mean, first of all, he's had like five years of the row where he's been fourteen fifteen hundred.
Speaker 2: Yards crazy numbers. Last year worked eight.
Speaker 1: Yeah, last year he was seventeen hundred, and he was injured like the last three games. So two thousand is definitely not out of the realm of possibility or probability. But I just I just love watching him and play because I love the enthusiasm and the passion in which he plays with.
Speaker 2: He's one of the few, one of the few.
Speaker 3: It's about about four of them. But I remember, you remember Peter Warck right when Peter World was at Florida State. Yeah, And I used to when I used to watch Peter Ward play him, Reggie Bush and Tyreek Hill when they get the ball, you hold your breath because you don't know what happened. Right, It's a different type of excitement. Michael Vick dropping back and scrambling. You hold your breath so you don't know what's gonna happen. It's it's a certain type of excitement that very few people bring to the game. And I'm talking, I'm dating back from when football started.
Speaker 2: Very few.
Speaker 3: It's a handful like, oh my goodness, what's gonna happen. That's how special Tyreek Hill is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was like he was like Barry.
Speaker 1: I mean, you had to see watching Barry on TV doesn't do him, just doesn't do barr sayt this justice, you had justice. You had to see him up close to see. I've never seen a man jump stop with both feet. Normally you know they play, but he jumped up with both feet. It would accelerate again. O Joe, congratulations, I'm excited. Yes, O Joe, this was our bad first episode. We're only gonna get bigger, We're only gonna get better. Thank you for tuning in, and we'll catch you on Thursday night. We won't be here tomorrow night, but we will be back Thursday night for unc Nightcap with Unk and Ojoke.
Speaker 3: I love y'all, I love y'all. If you need me, you know how to reach me. Seven eighty six two three, five fifty four twelve.
Speaker 2: That is real number. They don't know that