Speaker 1: Smell us Now, lady, welcome to Meet Eater Trivia Metater Podcast.
Speaker 2: Good lord, it's meeting to radio live. Welcome here to the show. Eleven am. Mountain time. Don't you just say all this, Phil? Do you tell people what time it is? They like, they don't know.
Speaker 3: I mean that's in the script every week. I mean they could look at the clock, but it's just kind of a way to mark place and time here.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Uh, Here's where it gets tricky, Phil, is that they're looking at a clock because they're watching on a computer or the phone.
Speaker 3: Okay, so you just think it's it's redundant.
Speaker 2: It's eleven am.
Speaker 3: This is discussion. Thank you.
Speaker 2: January thirtieth, Meeting at her headquarters and bos of Montana. I'm your host today, Steven Ronello. Today I'm joined by Brody Henderson and Maggie Hudler And are you how are you not here?
Speaker 4: Exactly?
Speaker 2: Tory is not. If someone thinks Cory Calkin's series not.
Speaker 5: He's kind of not here like Corina is often.
Speaker 2: Not He's not here. He's not here, He's not in the room. On today's show, we got a couple of things coming up. So on today's show, We're gonna chat with Rick and Marty Laguina from History Channels to Curse of Oak Island for a couple of reasons. One they're fellow Michiganders. That's my home state. Two they're from the cool part of Michigan, which is the Upper Peninsula. And three I'm riding on their shirt tails. You know, you hear coat tails and shirttails. I don't know which is the better. Supposed to do the shirts.
Speaker 5: Have tails coattails? Well, sure they do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they kind Yeah, they used to man shirts hang out.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I always try to find those shirts that don't have that exaggerated I like the straight ones. If it's two straight, it looks goofy though yet to be careful. Uh, We're gonna talk to those fellas because I'm riding on their shirt tails on the History Channel and so you know they get the you know what it is, it's like the opposite like you think. Like the other night I was at I went to a stand up show, right so, and uh I went to see me and my boy went to see Kevin Hart. And Kevin Hart like Kevin Hart, don't come out first? Do you follow me? They have Yeah, other dudes come out and they get everybody kind of fluffed up, and then Kevin Hart comes out. So this is the opposite where like these guys get the audience, they're like the Kevin Hart and then I'm like the follow up dude. I'm like the dude, the support is terrible. So we're gonna talk to them about that. Uh, we're also gonna get into this most Januaries, I missed out one time because of COVID. Every January we go down to Hunt Kosire in Old Mexico. Uh, this year, at the last second I had I had to bail because my little boy had to get a knee surgery and he was gonna be laid up and is laid up, so I couldn't go. So we're gonna check in with the fellows that did make it down to Mexico, Chase and Kuzier, so I can find out what all happened.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 2: They were not feeding me any information, I think out of respect because I couldn't be there, so they wanted they didn't want to make me jealous. So I'm kind of in the dark about how that all went. And We're gonna talk to Parker Bradley from Alaska fish and game about some interesting pike behavior. We've touched on this a couple of times in the past, but like northern pike being in I mean, all over the damn country. Northern pike live in lakes and rivers that they're not native to.
Speaker 5: And they're circumpolar, aren't they?
Speaker 2: Yeah right, yeah, Scofier. In a Scofier's cookbook, they have pike recipes for the European pike, for the pike they catch over in France. Anyhow, Uh, they've always been a little bit magical and like, well, how in the hell they get here? And we're gonna talk about a freakish behavioral attribute that these Northern pike are exhibiting in Alaska that helps explain some of the mystery about how those sons of bitches are jumping from one drainage to the next. So we're gonna do that. Then we're gonna talk about three most memorable fishing trips with photo backup. Then I'm supposed to say, but before we get to all that, what have you guys been up too lately? But not you, Cory, you ain't here.
Speaker 5: Maggie, you go first.
Speaker 8: Well, first off, I didn't know it was your birthday, Steve.
Speaker 2: It's not.
Speaker 3: It's not. Here's the thing. So our mutual friend Spencer Newhart told everyone who's watching the show to say happy birthday to you. But I'm pretty sure your birthday is in two weeks, two weeks away.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'll be halfway to one hundred and two and two weeks.
Speaker 3: So but you you've got You've got dozens of people wishing you happy birthday, and.
Speaker 8: The check it's nice, yeah, nice, happy early birthday.
Speaker 2: Oh thank you. I don't know how old you are, but dude, at this point, birthdays.
Speaker 5: They just don't mean anything.
Speaker 8: No.
Speaker 2: My favorite restaurant in Bozeman is with Sabby. You know the dudes that come in and they juggled their spatulism and stuff.
Speaker 3: Oh my kids love it there.
Speaker 2: Well, I was there the other night for my little boy's birthday and I was like, man, I'm going to come here on my birthday. I'm call all my friends and then by twenty minutes later, I'm like.
Speaker 8: No, I'm not, that's my birthday. I'm like, ooh, I'm going to get some oysters. I'm going to get some crabs. I'm going to have a party and then I'm like, then I have to share all this delicious food. I think it's going to be a feast for about four there you go.
Speaker 2: So anyways, what's everybody off to?
Speaker 8: I just moved into a new house that my boyfriend and I have been building over the last nine months. It's awesome.
Speaker 2: This is your shattered kneecap, hockey playing, sheep guiding boyfriend.
Speaker 8: Hold on together about three years, but we've known each other pretty much our whole lives.
Speaker 2: We think you want to get married? Are you like against marriage?
Speaker 8: I'm not against it. People just keep asking me about it. I'm like, hey, we just built a house. Like, we don't got money for a big party.
Speaker 2: Right, Guys, got your car? Heead of your horse though, too.
Speaker 5: That's a big move to Like, No, buy and build a house together when you're not hitching what's his last name?
Speaker 2: You can switch out?
Speaker 8: Hell? No, I already told.
Speaker 2: Him to switch out. Man, my wife never switched out. It kills me. Do you really want to not switch out?
Speaker 8: No?
Speaker 2: My daughter never switch out.
Speaker 8: But look on the internet and see how many other Maggie Hudlows there are.
Speaker 2: Well, they can people can track you down.
Speaker 8: There's not other Maggie hudlows Maggie Hudler. There's a pile of Maggie Olsen's out there.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 8: No, I'll never switch.
Speaker 2: I sit both sides, Like I said, I wish my wife would, but I told my daughter never do that. See, Yeah, you gotta hang on your name. So it's like I just it's very you know, depends.
Speaker 8: Yeah, so you know, one day we'll probably have a big, awesome party and get hitched. But now I'll never change my name. Something I gotta I gotta hang on too.
Speaker 2: Let's transition to Brody Brody, you're married a long time?
Speaker 5: Yeah, Actually that place into what I've been up to lately. This is like, like this time of year is kind of hard for me. I get mild seasonal effective disorder whatever.
Speaker 2: My dog has that.
Speaker 5: And my wife says, I get real cranky.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's no dragons a slave right now.
Speaker 5: No, but we're like emerging from that. It's starting. Days are getting a little longer, you know, so there'll be cool stuff to do soon. So I haven't been up to too much other than like like planning. I don't know if you do this, but I feel like it's important when you got kids like you really got to kind of plan your year out, like hunting fish and wise, because you know, with those kids, there's always like conflicting things going on. Sure, so I've been mapping stuff out on the calendar, which is always fun.
Speaker 2: That's good.
Speaker 8: Yeah, so I don't have kids to worry about planning about. But my sister explained it as happily financially in with three dogs. That's my situation.
Speaker 2: But the house you guys fixed up, was it a mass or was it?
Speaker 8: No? We built it?
Speaker 2: Oh I thought you meant you read it? No guilt scratch.
Speaker 8: It's uh. It's basically a big, a big ass shop with a living quarters attached to it.
Speaker 2: So to your palms a.
Speaker 8: Little bit. I've spent a lot of time. We did concrete floors and some concrete countertops, and uh, you know, it's like a cheaper option. And man, I spent a lot of time sand and concrete and staying in it, and a lot of a lot of time on the concrete. But it looks really nice. We got a nice big walnut butcher block in the center of the kitchen, and the garage has five huge doors to pull throughs. Oh really, Yeah, it's a it's a giant garage. That's we gotta have places to put the boats and and all the fun stuff. And now we're just trying to organize ours and garbage.
Speaker 2: So he got well, congratulations.
Speaker 8: Thanks.
Speaker 2: You know the James Gang when they used to rob this is legend. I don't know if it's true. When they used to rob trains, they check your hands. If you had callouses, they let you slide because they were dandies. If you didn't have callous as you were getting robbed.
Speaker 8: I get the most callouses in the summer from rowing the drift boat.
Speaker 2: Now, if I saw those boys coming, I'd be scratching. How's that? Phil?
Speaker 3: That was some lovely banter. Guys, you knocked it out of the park.
Speaker 2: Okay, are we ready to switch over?
Speaker 3: Let's do it?
Speaker 2: Okay, do we got Rick and Marty or Rick and Marty here.
Speaker 9: We're here.
Speaker 2: First off, man, tell me a little bit. Give me a quick snapshot of growing up in the up did you guys? Had you guys family been up there a long time? Were they newcomers or how that come about?
Speaker 5: Well?
Speaker 4: First, wait, wait, I got to wish you a happy birthday. Oh, thank you, and everybody else who's confused.
Speaker 10: Yeah, you go ahead, Rick, Well, it was you know, kind of like you know what you do in your life. You're outside a lot, you know, you've got your friends, you engage in whatever activity you want to do. It was sports and in the woods and fishing and a little bit of hunting and going on with our uncles and yeah, it was just a magical time, much simpler than today. And like I said, you spent most of your time outside playing ball and just having a good old time.
Speaker 6: There's a up.
Speaker 2: What's what's the first example you guys can think of when you go back to when you were little boys. What's the first example of you guys setting out to go try to find a lost something or another, or like to like make a discovery.
Speaker 4: That's an easy one.
Speaker 11: We were looking for a treasure under what we called the maybe not politically acceptable anymore, but under the Indian Rock, which was this rock out in the woods that had a band around it, and all the young boys in the neighborhood spent Rick, I don't know, two or three summers trying to move this rock because we were sure there was treasure underneath.
Speaker 4: We still want to go back and move that thing.
Speaker 2: Do you guys have a do you have a checklist of Like when your work, if you work at Oak Island concludes, do you have a do you have a what's next?
Speaker 10: We always have a plan moving forward, but you know, it's pretty fluid up there. You know, you find something, you move off. There's it's it's multifaceted search. So you have the money pit work, the excavations with Billy, You've got archaeological work going on. You've got Gary Drayton metal detecting, so you know when when something's following, you kind of skew that direction and follow that lead. And then of course you got the lab in the application of science, so it's you. It's not a it's a pretty active work site.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well that that's great and I appreciate. But what I what I meant was, if you picture yourself, if you imagine ten years down the road, twenty years down the road, whatever do you have like the next place or the next quest that you guys get involved in? You know, I mean, do you have a list of like, Okay, when when we're done, when our work here is done, we need to move on to whatever.
Speaker 11: Well, first of all, in twenty years I'd like to make sure I'm still alive number one as far as the goals go. But I don't think we've really addressed that very well, Harry Rick. The Oak Island has been all consuming, and it keeps throwing stuff at us. Right about the time we're you know, ready to maybe say boy, this is this is it, it'll throw something a curveball in terms of an artifact or something. So I don't think we've planned very well past that. We're we're interested in other things and we've got involved in other quests that other people are taking the lead on. But beyond that, Oak Island's pretty all consuming.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, what are some of the latest Tell people about some of the latest things you guys have found out there that keeps you, that keeps you wanting to keep going, big brother.
Speaker 10: Well, for me, it's you know, it's kind of a close association, Steve to what you're doing with your new show, you know, following history. I think the research component and the historical associations we've made to date through the finds of the artifacts and the digging and the money pit and the application of science, but it's really the research that is coming to fore. There's a treasure hunting component, and there's the historical research component which you're all about. And like just the other day, I got coming to believe that there's we're on a real national treasure you know the National Treasure movie. We're on a real national treasure hunt. There are significant historical figures that we believe have played some sort of role in association with the Oak Island mystery. So so to me, it's a big component is the history. But certainly there's a fascinating treasure hunt too.
Speaker 2: Now I gotta ask as well, what, uh, I know, you guys, So you guys got some land there, what's the what's the what's your vibe on the hunt and fishing potential out there on Oak Island? Should I be out there hitting it? Or what?
Speaker 4: Off shore? I think you could be hitting it?
Speaker 11: Yeah, there's all kinds of fishing off shore on the island not so much so.
Speaker 2: So you know, there's not like a resident I don't whatever. There's not like a resident deer population or a lot of Yeah.
Speaker 4: No, no, no, there's a resident deer population.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 11: I was thinking fishing. There aren't any streams or anything unless you're a big eel fisherman, because there's lots of those in the swamp.
Speaker 2: No. I like the eels for sure. So you got to see some game when you're out there, when you're all done, like you're saying that I I should be out there, I can go out there and hunt.
Speaker 4: I think.
Speaker 10: So I can tell you what you can do is you know, come come on up, you know, be a part of the treasure hunt and do a podcast from up there. But I can I can easily affirm.
Speaker 6: To you that.
Speaker 10: And you've probably been there in New Brunswick and in Newfoundland. Yep, you'd have a fantastic time.
Speaker 2: Yeah. No, I've hunted up I've hunted up there before one time. The last time I hunted up in New Brunswick, I left. I kind of did a questionable move. My wife was like pretty pregnant, and I drove up there and we were hunting and I got a call basically saying turn around and come back or or don't come back, and so I had to cut my I had to cut my trip short. But now that all that's behind me, i'd like to come out there and check it out. No, I would definitely like to come up and see the island. And meet you guys for real and uh and talk about the home state. So I appreciate you guys coming on. Man, everybody is checking out. Watch new episodes of the Curse of Oak Island on History Channel Tuesday nights at nine eastern eighth Central and then and then if you if you got it in you stay on because we're premiering a new show there as well that follows the Curse of Oak Island called Hunting History. So come for the Curse of Oak Island and stay for Hunting History on History Channel.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 2: Boys, thanks for taking the time to come on the show. Man, I appreciate it.
Speaker 9: Thank you.
Speaker 2: That's great. All right.
Speaker 10: I just want to tell you that our nephews, Peter David and Daniel Fernetti are big fans.
Speaker 2: Oh in your show. Tell him, I said, thanks, And you shoot over an address and we'll send them up some books and stuff if you if you got if you can pass along for somebody, I'd love to. All right, guys, thanks so much.
Speaker 11: Man.
Speaker 2: Good luck with your good luck with your hunt, good luck with your show, good luck with yours. All right, take it easy, see take care, bye bye, all right. Mexico Cops hunt check in with Randall and Seth. That's what we got. Randall and South. Where the hell they coming from?
Speaker 3: Why don't we ask them?
Speaker 2: Are you guys live? We're just like a trick Mexico. Oh oh, so you are there?
Speaker 9: Aloha me and migos mayamo rojo grande. All right?
Speaker 2: Was the kate was? Were they rotting hard? I don't even know where to begin. Were you seeing like hard rotting grab ass action? Uh? Yes, and no I recognized that fireplace. How do you guys got such a good connection by that fireplace?
Speaker 1: Oh there's a starlingla now.
Speaker 2: Oh, I see, it's just as warm in there as normal.
Speaker 9: We had snow on the ground this morning, so.
Speaker 1: It snowed last night and was like twenty two degrees or so.
Speaker 9: Yeah, Seth and I were on a pretty uh pretty frigid ridge all morning and uh stop down to the house to hop on. So we're enjoying this fire and some fresh cafe.
Speaker 2: Got it? Uh so? So hard ass grab ass rought action or no.
Speaker 9: There's a lot of chasing. Yannis saw a buck he thinks unsuccessfully breed a dough. But yeah, the bucks that we've seen have all been pretty active. It's been sporadic though. We're seeing like a ton of action on one hillside and then we go back the next day and zero deear, So it's kind of been hide and seek a little bit.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and we've been seeing Dose pretty frequently that don't have any bucks with him?
Speaker 2: Yeah, got god? And how many bucks you guys gotten down there?
Speaker 7: We got four so far, Yanni's Today is our last day and Yanni is the only one that still needs to get one, so he's out there right now.
Speaker 1: He's looking for mucho grande though.
Speaker 9: Yeah, Yanni's Yannis prepared to eat the tag if he doesn't see the right dear. So, he and the rest of the crew are all hunting hard right now. Got to sit by the fire.
Speaker 2: It's good to see you guys. I miss you, guys. I've been dominating the question here, so I'm gonna let Brody and Maggie asks you a bunch of questions.
Speaker 5: Did you get some good ones?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 7: So, Uh, Peter hal from Zig is down here, which is cool because we're getting to play with a bunch of new SIG products.
Speaker 9: I can test that out.
Speaker 1: But he he shot a giant.
Speaker 7: Nice It's definitely the biggest one I've seen come off of this ranch.
Speaker 1: Raynad's about to show you right here.
Speaker 2: And you folks watching from home, you need to understand that you're looking at like what's It's like a desert white tail, like a mini white tail.
Speaker 9: And he's got a he's got a split G two on the one side, so he looks like a mulely on that side.
Speaker 2: Yep. But that that runs that way because we've gotten a couple of them there like that with that same split. Jim had the finger probably roll over dead if I just said that that runs that way down there.
Speaker 9: Yeah, he's a pretty impressive buck and he's he's got a little bit of palmation and he's kind of some of the times are bladed. So that was Cal shot a real nice one. Uh he saw it the first night and killed it two days later.
Speaker 1: There you go, that's Cal's buck blade it out.
Speaker 2: That is ye go back to that big one. I'm gonna come back to Cal's. We go back to that big one for met. Was that like, uh, did you guys find him and then rEFInd him and then rEFInd him? Was it like a holy shit? There he is kind of moment.
Speaker 9: Well, we Seth and Giannis and I were on the same ridge, but maybe a mile down and uh, we would just listen to the whole thing on the radio. But I think they glassed him up. He had a dough that he was trying to lock down and uh seemed to be right out in the open, so they Pete and Cal made a big stock on him and wrapped around the face and ended up getting a shot. But that that's kind of the only big buck that's really made himself visible for a significant period of time. I think Col's buck is just sort of like you know, appeared. He was betted the first night when you guys saw him.
Speaker 7: Yeah, we saw uh, we spotted calsbuck on the first evening.
Speaker 1: It wasn't even like our first hunt day.
Speaker 7: We just happened to get down here and have enough time to run up on the hill and do some glasses and we and Cal almost killed him on the first evening, but he caught up with him two days later.
Speaker 9: And Yeah, a lot of the bucks, most of the bucks that were se like I saw ten or twelve bucks yesterday, Wow, all of them. All of them were chasing, but just no big bucks. And the big bucks that we've seen a lot of them are really broken, and that seems to be We've heard like this year, for whatever reason, a lot of the big bucks are broken. M It doesn't bother me, but some people either. Yeah. Uh So then Seth and I both got deer on back to back days, I think Tuesday and Wednesday maybe yep or something like that, and that was fantastic. Yeah, well ours are not nearly as impressive, but we're both very happy. They're like, you know, maighties low nineties deer, and yeah, I might shot at like to two hundred and fifty yards. He was chasing a dough with another smaller buck and they were just kind of pinballing around, and he popped up and got a shot at him, and then Seth had a real uh search for his buck.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 7: I spotted my buck and made a move on him, lost him like you typically do down here, and popped up on this little bumps to try to get a good advantage of this hillside where he was, and he ended up betting with a dough about one hundred and twenty yards from where I was, and I actually had to in order to shoot him, I had to leave my bump that I was on and make a big loop around and shoot him at like three hundred yards where I could actually see him.
Speaker 2: Oh God, it house jealous right now? Can you tell jealous?
Speaker 8: Well?
Speaker 9: The uh, I mean, the big story this week, I think has been the wind. Everybody's been telling me that it's usually rather calm here, but we've been getting gusts up to like thirty and pretty steady fifteen ten to fifteen mile an hour winds all week. So there have been some long cold days and the big stablized binoculars have really, uh oh yah been a lifesaver because and I hadn't I'd messed around with them like out of the truck or out of the house, but I really hadn't had them out in these kind of conditions. And you throw those things on the tripod, and even if it's blowing your tripod around, your image is like crystal clear. So I've I've oftentimes like just had to take my regular binos down and throw up the stabilized ones just for the wind factor.
Speaker 2: Of Yeah. Then the next thing you got to figure out is how to make your eyeballs not water.
Speaker 9: Oh, the corners of my eyes are chafed badly. A lot of tears a lot of sunscreen, a lot of wind. It's not a good recipe for my optical health.
Speaker 8: Well, the stabilized bos are cool. What other fun sig stuff have you guys been messing around with down there?
Speaker 9: Well, there's one, there's one item that we're told not not to What happens down in Mexico stays in Mexico. Great Toby Keith, but pretty neat stuff. We we also have used the the range finding binos. Yep, are those the kilow tens maybe something? And uh, but yeah, those those are pretty amazing for because they have the uh they have the wind calculation dialed in. So yeah, when we're sitting out there glass and stuff and range and stuff, you can plug in like a ten mile an hour value and it'll give you your correction in minutes of angles, so or mills. But we're shooting both the guns we have are shooting minutes of angles. So that's been pretty fun to see and like check that against the dope on your phone.
Speaker 1: And yeah, there's been a lot of chatter about wind calls.
Speaker 9: Yes, a lot of chatter about wind calls. I was very grateful to shoot my dear at two hundred and twenty five yards or whatever it was, because I don't think I would have really wanted to stretch it out very far in those conditions.
Speaker 2: I got I got two more questions. When I go down there, you always find that the Bocarrols, the ba Carrols, Buck Harrols, buck Harrows. No matter what deer you bring back, they tell you that no, no, no, no, no, no, that's not him. Yeah, been happening.
Speaker 9: Well, I haven't talked with them much. Cal has been our primary liaison to the Lacas. His Spanish is actually remarkable. No, he does good, although he doesn't do like the performative accent that a lot of people do when they speak a foreign language. It just sounds like Cal. He speaks in the same cadence with just different words. But we did have a couple of reports of bucks that the cowboys had seen, and you know, had the hills that they'd seen him on, And there is even a set of sheds from this year near the house that we're looking for that buck. But we have not been able to turn up any of the the famous cowboy bucks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, here's my other question.
Speaker 9: No, No, I was gonna say the cat. I think the Viccaro's cat is having a real field day. Whenever we bring back a deear, it's like fighting us for little strips of hide and meet. And that's kind of also been our primary mode of entertainment is the cat's increasingly aggressive behavior around any sort of meat.
Speaker 2: Randall, I need to share with you two comments that have come in. I'm gonna build you up and I'm gonna bring you down. Sure, there's a guy that says you look like Jim Harrison, followed up by a guy that says you look homeless.
Speaker 6: So I.
Speaker 5: Did Jim Harrison ever spend time as a homeless person.
Speaker 2: If you're gonna look like Harrison, you need to take a beer bottle and gouage one of your eyes so it doesn't work right, which is what happened to him.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 9: She said it looked like a Civil warrying actor in the photo and said that I took that to me and I need to cut my hair.
Speaker 2: I got another question for you. You know how I couldn't go to my boy had to have knee surgery. Well, thanks for asking how he's doing.
Speaker 9: Oh I I was communicating uh with Jannison. We were getting updates, We were we were all sitting around the table the other day and we Yanni, you were texting me Steve, and then Yanni was like, we were asking for updates through our Uh.
Speaker 7: Yeah, we're we're all asking how how Maddy was doing.
Speaker 2: Funny because none of those they were all unfulfilled.
Speaker 9: I did. I did text Katie. I did text Katie to see how the surgery went.
Speaker 2: Well, you went straight to my you went straight to my you went straight to my woman.
Speaker 9: You're a busy man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, that's cool, that's cool. Anybody else, Yeah.
Speaker 5: I've heard enough.
Speaker 2: How long do you guys want to talk for We're getting bored.
Speaker 9: Oh we did. We did want to mention that yesterday Jannis ate eleven or twelve burritos.
Speaker 6: Record so we.
Speaker 9: Got blowney sandwich is the day before and he ate his at eleven and then spent the rest of the day talking about how he could have had more than one blooney sandwich. So the next day he took six burritos for lunch and he gave me one, but he had two at breakfast and I think three at dinner. So that would yeah, that would probably make maybe it. Yeah, that's like ten or eleven, so Anyway, the tortillas have been thin, so Janni's consumed twenty some tortillas yesterday.
Speaker 2: Were doubling rand. We got another guy saying, you just look like you're from Ohio.
Speaker 9: No, that's true that I'll take that as a high compliment. Thank you, Chase. That's lovely.
Speaker 2: Hey, you know what about being from Ohio. I don't know if you ever read the right stuff, but there's something steely about Ohio. Dudes. It's like what you want when you're trying to man a spaceship. Yep, they want to lean. They want it leaning into Ohio.
Speaker 9: There's something there's there's a rich soil.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, good luck tell Jannie, I said, good luck. I wish I could be there. In all seriousness. Miss you guys terrible uh yeah, you know all that kind of stuff.
Speaker 9: We'll see you very soon.
Speaker 2: All right, thanks Boddy, see you guys. Yaas was that long enough?
Speaker 3: How are you doing on Steve? You are you're doing incredible schedule?
Speaker 2: Yes, oh so now we take time for listener feedback.
Speaker 3: That's right, dude.
Speaker 2: I'm mostly no, no, not to hack on the boys there, but I'm I'm mostly excited about the northern pike deal.
Speaker 3: Oh he's coming up.
Speaker 2: No, I don't want to know. I'm saying I want to jump to it. Let's do some well, how you've been hanging on this part?
Speaker 3: The listener feedback, well, the The idea is throughout the show, people can ask questions in the live chat. I bookmark the ones I think are are good or could open up some interesting conversation. So if we haven't gotten a lot of questions, guys, this might be Steve's last time here, and who knows, like you, you should feel lucky. So if you have questions for Steve, get him in here right now, because I don't know what he's gonna be coming down here all the time.
Speaker 5: Might be your last time. It's like you're dying or.
Speaker 3: You're you're just you're you're a busy gal.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna start coming here all the time.
Speaker 3: We would love that. Yeah, people, people want to see it. Let's see, we got to start with a lighter one. Mogre is asking a question for Steve. Hi, when you're not participating in trivia or radio live, how closely do you follow the events during your travels? Do you keep up with the shows by watching or listening to them. I have a feeling I know the answer to this question, but I just thought, you know, people, the people would like to know.
Speaker 2: I listened to a lot of stuff. I watch bits of a lot of stuff, but I mostly talked every buddy.
Speaker 3: That's what I like to do, is talk to every buddy. Probably a better use of your time.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 3: Question for Steve from John did the stolen cooler of frozen fish ever get resolved?
Speaker 2: No, it's still it's just gone, dude. Okay, someone's licking their lips on that fish or they were, but no.
Speaker 5: Not going on a couple of years now, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Do you know what's hilarious? Remember we were talking about so I shouldn't I shouldn't say this about my kid, but my older kid, my older boy, when we were talking about remember we talking about getting that lie detector test down here. So he kind of got in a bunch He got in a bunch of trouble. Okay, he was telling I shouldn't air in his laundry like this, but he was telling his mom and dad a phib Okay, so his mom phibbs to get the truth. She says, I'm taking you down to the office because your dad got that lie detector, So you tell me right now what happened. And he's just like he just lets it all out. And just the other night we like finally it came up. We finally said no, there is no lie Detector's.
Speaker 5: That's good.
Speaker 2: There was like lies to get him to tell the truth, which is smart.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 8: Get on you, Katie.
Speaker 3: Let's see here.
Speaker 2: You said you're giving soft babbles. What's an example of hardball?
Speaker 3: This isn't a hard ball, but this one actually could could open up to some discussion from Kyle. What do y'all do about cleaning brain matter from a skull in the field to transport to or from CWD areas across a home county?
Speaker 2: Stir it up with a screwdriver, Stir it up super good with a screwdriver, and put a high pressure hose in there.
Speaker 5: Give it a few good shakes.
Speaker 2: We know, Yeah, you give it a couple of shakes. Yeah, there you go. It's it's like, you know, if you stick with it, you can get that brain pan pretty clean. Right on, this could what's a real hard question.
Speaker 3: We haven't gotten really a really hard one yet, but if you guys want to speak to this because I don't think you ever really have, and I think you guys could could talk thoughtfully about it. Question for Stephen Brody, y'all post a lot of pictures of hunting fishing with your kids, which is great. Have you ever thought about making videos featuring your kids? My kids love watching other kids hunting videos.
Speaker 2: Man, I think about it all the time. I'd love to do it, but me and my wife made a decision, like if you noticed vir sea pictures of my kids, we just had to find. We had to find, like we had to make a rule for ourselves so that it wasn't a question all the time about how much exposure to give to our kids. And we eventually made a rule. It seems arbitrary, but it works for us, Like we don't show our kids' faces on stuff. It seems goofy, but like wound up making it simple, you know what I mean. In the other day, I even asked my I would had a picture of my kids when they were babies. And I said to my wife, like, hey, do you mind if I post this thing when the kids are babies that I mean, you know, they don't look like that anymore? And she said, well, no, because we have an agreement.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you've done a good job of sticking to it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I have. But it hurts because I'd love to be able to make videos with them, but I don't want to, like I do. I don't want to drag them into something, you know, Like it's just hard for me, Like I need them to get old enough to make the decision.
Speaker 5: There's also that like there's one thing, like making a TV show or whatever is one thing, but then like just making like videos, yeah, for yourself, Like we do that all the time, but like making a show is hard and it gets in the way, like it would not that you couldn't do it.
Speaker 8: But there's a great episode of Tony hunting Bear with his daughter Austin if you want to check that out.
Speaker 2: Yep, Hey, listen, I don't have any like I have. I'm all for it. And a big thing that informed us on it is years ago we had to have like the FBI got involved, Like years ago, we had something happen that alarmed us and they had to go after a dude and like really went after a guy hard about saying a comment, you know, about our kids. And then from then on that changed our whole attitude. Man, it was like someone like an animal rights dude, and so it just it just spooked us, you know.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well yeah, I mean I'd love to see us make a show with some kids hunting, and it'd be great if we do that at some point.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just didn't like the thought of some like some animal rights freak or whoever targeting my kids because it's something that they know about me. Is just like upset and at times I'm just like a little I feel a little like maybe overexposed in that way.
Speaker 8: That's totally reasonable.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we'll do one more here and save some words for the end of the show. Sam's asking is there any animal you were excited to hunt and eat but were let down when you finally tried it, or any animal that you thought that wasn't really worth it after you tried it.
Speaker 2: You made it name.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know, remember you guys shot those You guys shot a bunch of those big old caribou several years ago. Kenyan and Dura were there. Yeah. Yeah, I was a little disappointed in the shanks with the because you think about how many miles or in those shanks, Holy shit, they take a long time to break down. Oh, multi day breaks, and just the meat in general. It's not that it's bad, it's just you stack it up against like elk or it's just not No.
Speaker 2: I'd rather I'd wait, rather eat Muldier than cava. Yeah, I'll tell you. One of the ones that was most disappointing to me is while back we flayed I really wish we had we played a bunch of shovel nose sturgeon.
Speaker 5: I remember you talking about that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because one the yield is so low, so you kind of get this cool looking fish, you clean him, and you don't have ship, and then what you do have doesn't taste that good. I've never laid a finger on now. It just pop them off, you know. Just a real disappointment because the the the low yield was already enough to turn me off, but then the taste was.
Speaker 5: Another one for me was Jack Rabbits, There no no go ahead and each his own.
Speaker 2: You have dumb opinions, free country cool.
Speaker 3: If you want to get to the pike, we've got Parker waiting in the in the green room.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, Brod, you want to handle this interview?
Speaker 5: Sure?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Brody's an invasive pike expert. He used to live at an invasive pipe pod.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, I love those things.
Speaker 6: Are we there?
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's Parker.
Speaker 5: Hey Parker, how's it going?
Speaker 6: Hey, good Harry, y'all doing great?
Speaker 5: Is it cold up there?
Speaker 12: You know, it's the coldest day we've had this winter so far, about minus fifteen.
Speaker 5: Where are you at right now?
Speaker 6: I'm in Palmer, so about our north of Anchorage.
Speaker 5: Yep, yep, yep. Cool. So we'll get to the pike in a second. But you want to give us a rundown of what you do for a fishing game, like what you're Yeah, sure.
Speaker 12: So I'm a fisheries biologist with the Alaska Department of Fishing Game and my job is primarily focused on invasive species in this region. That's primarily invasive Northern Pike, but that could be. You know, we've dealt with the host of other several species that have turned up here that shouldn't be here and we handle that.
Speaker 5: Cool.
Speaker 2: So, hey, Brody, while you're interviewing him, can you ask if he knows my brother Danny.
Speaker 5: So there's this guy Danny Bolton and Anchorage Danny Bolton. There's this guy Danny Runella. You know him down at Anchorage did you know these guys know each other?
Speaker 2: Maybe I knew they knew each other, but I'm not positive they knew each other. Yeah, he's my brother's a fisheries biologist. I thought maybe you guys ran neto each other. Continue the interview.
Speaker 12: Yeah, it's a small world in the fisheries biology realm up here.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Yeah, So this study came out, some people may have seen it in the news. That's where I found it, and we had talked about it like in the past recently here at media. But can you kind of give like the basic rundown of what this study found and how they they were able to come to the conclusion that they came to.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, you bet so.
Speaker 12: Quick background for your listeners. Pike are actually native to a majority of Alaska, more than northern and western regions. But they were introduced here to the south central region waters that flow into cook Inlet Gulf of Alaska. They were introduced by a person in the nineteen fifties and they've spread to you know, over one hundred water bodies in this region since then. But you know, so we're trying to keep tabs on where these pike are spreading in the region and we've been doing eradication projects on the Kena Peninsula.
Speaker 5: What does that entail, Like, how are you trying to get rid of them? Because like, yeah, I used to live in an area in Colorado where they were doing that. They're trying to get rid of them on the Yampa River, and they'd knock them back, then they'd come back. They'd knock them back, then they'd come back. It's like just an ongoing They can never seem to like eradicate.
Speaker 12: Them, right, So it's it's kind of tough to get over that hump. But a lot of what we do is aggressive netting, and that's called suppression projects, where we just try to kill as many as we can. But if we actually want to eradicate them, then we often go and use a chemical called rotino. It's a fish management tool that you know is used across the US, and that's what we've done heavily on the Kina to eradicate him from there. But netting is often very common, and like you're saying, it's tough to get ahead.
Speaker 5: Of them, yep. So so back back to the study.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I saw a question just pop up. How are the pikes spreading?
Speaker 5: Yep?
Speaker 2: Someone asked that he's in luck.
Speaker 5: We're about to find out.
Speaker 12: So they're spreading, well really two mechanisms. Now that they're in this region, people still move them around. We have documentation of that. And then you know, once they're in an open system, they're free to swim where they want, right. And so one thing that we thought was some of these rivers flowing into cook Inlet, which is brackish water.
Speaker 6: We thought that was most likely.
Speaker 5: That's a nice one.
Speaker 12: But we had some pike that showed up in a remote place on the Kena Peninsula that it we don't know how they got there. Didn't make sense for someone to go through an extensive effort to get them to this remote place, but it has a very short connection to cook Inlet. And so one thing that we did we wanted to explore if we're going to invest money into getting rid of these pike from this drainage, we want to know how they got there and prevent that from happening again. So we did some sampling in this lake, Vogel Lake, and we caught one really large female along with a handful of other smaller pike. And one thing that's a really neat technology in the world of fisheries is the odalith of the fish.
Speaker 6: So that's the.
Speaker 12: Inner earbone calcified structure. Biologists used that often for aging fish. There's a good picture of it there, but what it also can be used for. It's basically a chemical fingerprint of the water that that fish has lived in throughout its life. So you can cut that otlith in half and it grows, you know, on the outside, cal calcium building up on the outside as it grows. If you cut that in half, you expose the core when that fish was born, and then the edge represents when you kill that fish. So we can send this otolith to a lab. We have one in Fairbanks that does this. They look at the chemical composition of that otolith from birth to death. And what's interesting is water bodies often have unique chemical signatures, specifically with stronium isotopes, and that's what we're looking at. So the marine environment has a pretty particular strownium isotope signature. And so we took the otolith from that really large pike and measure the stronium from birth to death of that fish. And what we found is that the center of that otolith where that fish was born did not match the water that we caught it in. Then about two years of age, it had a signature signature consistent with being in a marine environment, and then the signature matched.
Speaker 6: The water that we caught that fish in. So basically what that told us is that.
Speaker 12: Fish came from somewhere else, swam through the brackish water and then ended up in this Vogel lake here where we caught it. And once we kind of had proof of that occurring, we got suspicious of this happening in other places.
Speaker 6: For example, and Anchorage.
Speaker 12: We have a couple of lakes where we thought this might have occurred, and indeed we did catch a couple of pike that had these signatures as well. And so that's what this study was kind of based on these three different populations that we think got established by pike swimming through the marine environment mostly just brackish water, not full salt water.
Speaker 2: So they're able to make those trips, That's what you just kind of answer my question as you finished your last response. But they're able to make those trips just staying in brackish water, Like like, how long do you think one could last and open salt or do you think that would kill.
Speaker 6: It, so I think that would kill it.
Speaker 12: We a couple of years ago we did a salinity trial where we actually put pike in known salinity tots and measured to see how long they would live. And so we tested various gradients and our highest concentration we tested was about twenty eight parts per thousand. For reference, about thirty five is considered fully marine, and at twenty eight they lived maybe like seven or eight hours on the average. They can't tolerate fully marine waters and for very long, but that lower brackish concentration around seven or ten. There's actually a pike population in the Baltic Sea that they just lived there, and that's at about seven parts per thousand. So the fact that they can kind of traverse through some of this low brackish water is not that surprising. But you know, cook Inlet it's a pretty hostile environment. We have some of the largest tides in the world, like thirty foot tide swings very glacially turbid. We got big glacial rivers that are pumping into it, so visibility is poor, really strong current, so it's you know, not what you would think of when you think of where pike would typically live, so it's you know, they can live just probably for a little bit in this environment.
Speaker 5: Are are they traveling or are you able to determine like how far they're traveling, Like does this only happen where like two river estuaries are pretty close together, or are they yeah distance.
Speaker 12: We can't tell exactly where they came from. The most likely source is this is sit in a river and if that's the case, you know Vogel Lake where one of these studies was based on, that's about eighteen miles if the fish was to swim perfectly straight, you know, from anchorage. If it made the trip from this is Sittina, that's like fifteen miles, so not really that far. And we think a lot of this movement's likely limited to the upper part of cook Inlet to where we have these you know, brackish waters.
Speaker 6: As you south, it gets.
Speaker 12: Pretty fully marine pretty quick, So I think this is just happening kind of an upper Cooking like region.
Speaker 2: Years ago, I was talking to a researcher who was looking at trying to explore the question of how bad could the Burmese python situation get, so they would take Burmese pythons and move north of the Florida Everglades and make these enclosures just to see like what there, At what point would they not be able to survive anymore? And they were kind of able to draw a sort of a sort of line saying what they projected to be the extent of the spread for for average temperature purposes. Right when you guys look at this, now that you're understanding that these pike are moving not just from people moving them in buckets, but they're moving on their own into unexpected areas, do you have a sense of, like of how bad it could get or do you think you already looking at the extent of what they could possibly do for as they spread into these waters? And I think within that I think we didn't cover on just I don't mean to lay too much on you at once, but you should probably speak to what this could mean for salmon, right because that's what we're really talking about here, right.
Speaker 12: Yeah, yeah, exactly, So we we know how bad it can get, but it all depends really on the specific habitat of a location. You know, if you're a pike angler, you know what pike habitat looks like.
Speaker 6: You know where you.
Speaker 12: Target them and in the Sassiina Valley, we've you know, almost complete expansion through all available habitat. But what's at risk here is the Kena Peninsula for sure, the northern portion at least, and there is some tremendously good well salmon habitat currently, but it would make for very good pike habitat.
Speaker 6: And that's what we're nervous about.
Speaker 12: There's some locations that if Pike got into it would be completely devastating, you know, completely wipe out salmon because of the type of habitat in that citystem would favor pike in an apex predator like that.
Speaker 2: Does it seem like there's does it seem inevitable or does it seem like there's something that there's a move you guys that will have at your disposal.
Speaker 12: You know it's with enough time, it's likely inevitable. Now we're taking some preventative measures. In that Vogel Lake that I mentioned. We eradicated pike from there in twenty twenty one, and what we have now is a weir in place near the mouth of that drainage preventing pike from moving up through.
Speaker 6: Cooking let through that pathway.
Speaker 12: So you know, so we're taking prevention measures there, but some of these other locations, you know, we're kind of exploring options. We really want to dial in. How frequently is this occurring.
Speaker 6: We don't know.
Speaker 12: It seems to occur frequently enough that pike can establish a population. So a male and a female get into a system and fawn and kind of game over. So but we don't know exactly. We don't know really what the exact salinity concentrations or trends are in cook inlet. We need to figure that out to actually find what we think would be the boundary of how far south they can go. So once we kind of do that, we can prioritize, you know, monitoring and prevention measures.
Speaker 5: Man, just just to play Devil's advocate there, I think there would be some people that might say, if these things are traveling on their own into these area, they're not getting No one's dumping a bucket a pike into a lake, right if they're doing it on their own, Like, are they still considered an invasive species?
Speaker 12: Yeah, So that's a really good question. Short answer is yes, because they wouldn't be spreading if it wasn't for an initial human introduction. There's still a lot native to the area, so to be invasive, have to be non native and you know, causing harm.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 12: You know, a good example of that would be like the Asian carp throughout the Midwest. If they got established in the Great Lakes, you wouldn't consider them native because they swim there on their own.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 5: So the other kind of the other part of that that question is, at least down here, you'll have these situations where like pike or smallmouth bass or some other non native game fish will get introduced into a system, and often there'll be like a contingent of anglers that are like, we don't want these things gone. They're great, right, yeah, what I mean, you know, there's there's so many examples down here. I would imagine in Alaska maybe because of how important salmon are that there's not really that kind of pushback like for for recreational and subsistence anglers saying, oh, you know, they're not so bad.
Speaker 6: Well, we we do get that.
Speaker 12: There's definitely a following of pike anglers here that want the pike to be here, you know, move them around. Uh, that's that's why they were introduced here in the first place, right, Somebody wanting to fish for pike. So we have that, but it is still you know, your average you know, Alaskan overwhelming majority understands what's going on and would much prefer the salmon you know over a pike fishery. Yep, it only takes a couple of bad apples to really, you know, create a situation like what we have.
Speaker 5: Is this like a super high priority problem now for for Alaska fishing game?
Speaker 6: It is?
Speaker 12: This is this is probably the most devastating aquatic and vasive species we have in this region. You know, there's several others that we're dealing with, but I mean, for the pike. We've documented about twenty five percent of our anagamous lakes on a surface area basis completely destroyed from pike. Twenty five percent and this is where samuel rearing and growing before they out mak rate, and then another good fifteen percent are in pretty dire straight So significant a portion of habitat in this region is being impacted by pike. But there's there's other species on the horizon that we don't want here and we're working to prevent those as well.
Speaker 5: Have you guys implemented like cat mandatory catch and kill regulations and places we.
Speaker 12: Have in this entire region. If you catch a pike, you're required to kill it. You can kill it and tooss it back or keep it if you want, but you can't release it alive.
Speaker 6: Legally.
Speaker 2: You can kill it pickle it though, yep, yep.
Speaker 6: Kill and pickle it, and I would recommend that they're pretty good pickled.
Speaker 5: Well, thanks for chatting with us today, Parker. That was that was real informative.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thanks for coming on, man, and I hope you guys have some success with that, because you know, the world's gonna start no matter where you go. The world's gonna become at risk of looking the same no matter where you go. You know, crows and northern pike. Thanks man, appreciate it all right.
Speaker 6: Thanks, appreciate it all right.
Speaker 2: Are you allowed to go out of order?
Speaker 3: You know there there are no rules. It's just a suggestion.
Speaker 2: Can we do two questions then do the photo thing? And because I saw two two questions, yeah, go for it. Someone asked about making venice and demigloss.
Speaker 8: Oh I saw that one.
Speaker 2: Absolute.
Speaker 8: Just make sure you leave some meat on the bones because it's a little lean.
Speaker 5: If you don't, you.
Speaker 2: Get a real blonde.
Speaker 5: If you you got to commit to the time involved, man, but it's so worth it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you got to commit to the time being involved. Then you got to commit to later trying to get that ring off your pot, because you're going to have a ring of like something that looks like it would have an industrial application, like a ring of sort of like a POxy that forms. But you got to cook it down to I mean picture that you're cooking it down and cooking it down to the point where it's like it's the consistency of cold maple syrup. Like when you lay the back of a spoon in it and lift it up. It's it's uh, it'll stick to that spoon, you know. And then I'll put it into ice cube trays.
Speaker 5: That's what I do because it's powerful. Throw one ice cub worth and it's like a pine of stock.
Speaker 2: Yeah. But then later when you're having your supper, I'll take maybe like two parts butter, one part demiglass, a little booze or a little wine or something. Yeah. Yeah, no, it works, good man, it works good.
Speaker 5: I like that you said supper, not enough people still call it supper, dude.
Speaker 2: I remember it was so funny as I remember when I went to graduate school, Okay, graduate school, I remember making a conscious decision to stop saying something. Nobody said supper, nobody said suffer.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's not it. That's not a West Coast thing.
Speaker 2: I remember being like, man, how come these guys no one says that's what? I switched to dinner? Yeah, yeah, I hate it. I hate it about myself now, but I like consciously switched to dinner. So I thought it made me. I was like, these guys don't know what supper is. Oh, there's another question, Yeah, someone asked. I saw a comment come up where there's a there's a host Forrest Gallant, who oh yeah, is that true that he said that?
Speaker 3: I couldn't tell you.
Speaker 2: I can look it up though, says that he said you shouldn't be able to hunt bears because it's trophy hunting. M you know, you know what, here's a good thing to go look at. There's about a guy, yeah, talked about that bear that fell out of the man while hunting in Virginia. So a guy was hunting Virginia and they treat a bear. There's a tragedy. They treat a bear. And we discussed this, so they treat a bear. Someone shot the bear. A guy's dog got under and he thought the bear was gonna land on the dog. He went there to try to save his dog got hit by the bear and it killed him. So naturally it brings out all this commentary like oh he deserved it, you know, and all this terrible stuff.
Speaker 8: Everybody's pretty nasty.
Speaker 5: I don't understand what trophy hunting has to do, like it's just like.
Speaker 2: It's yeah, I mean like bears are great to eat. Yeah, I don't get it, Like like I killed deer and I have their I have deer skulls all over my damn.
Speaker 3: I don't know how true that is because I'm finding for he's put he has videos of himself hunting bears online, so I don't I don't know where that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what I was wondering about it.
Speaker 3: Maybe he had a change of heart. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I was wondering, but I don't know. But but either way, you know, what's a great line one of my there's a Boone biography by Farreger mac Farreger, and then and in the Boone Byer, if you by mac Ferreger, he's talking about Venison and in uh venison and bear meat, and he says that on the American Frontier, bear meat was for eating. Yeah, you shot deer, You shot deer for leather, and when you got hunger, you shot bears.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Anyone who's ever eating a good all black bear should try it.
Speaker 8: Oh man, it's fatty and delicious. It's that's awesome.
Speaker 2: And you know, everything's got a trophy, man.
Speaker 5: Yeah, some weasels.
Speaker 2: Weasels got a little trophy.
Speaker 3: People are saying that he said it on his most recent podcast, but I haven't heard that. I can't speak to that. I don't think any any any of us can right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a weird. It's a odd like you'd have to really, you'd have to stay up for a few days to find a way to justify that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and you still wouldn't.
Speaker 2: How do we do the fishing trip thing?
Speaker 8: Uh?
Speaker 3: You say? Our next segment is called meat Eater Top Threes.
Speaker 2: Our next segments called me the top threes.
Speaker 5: Phil Oh, okay.
Speaker 7: Don't forget about this, brony.
Speaker 5: Well, yeah, I was waiting on these musical transitions. I hadn't heard one yet.
Speaker 2: It's grateful, but really good Bill.
Speaker 3: Thanks appreciate it. And then yeah, Steve, if you look at the script, then it's you. You continue a little bit more and say, this week we are ranking our three favorite fishing trips.
Speaker 2: So naturally, this week we're ranking our three favorite fishing trips. Maggie, you go first. What's your third most favorite memorable fishing trip.
Speaker 8: So this was a fun trip down in Florida and the golf. My my folks had just retired and they spent three months airbnb hopping in Florida. Oh, they like drove down with their lake boat and they had their old town canoe on top of the truck. My mom was like, we look like Beverly Hill Billy's going down here. So I flew down there and hung out with them. My dad and I went out with a guide for a day and.
Speaker 2: Then well then here you are in the canoe.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 8: We just took the canoe out and the mangroves. We had a little trolling motor. We would u we would paddle around some fly casting was kind of difficult, but uh, you know, spin and gear. I'd never caught red fish before. They're super fun fish to catch.
Speaker 2: And that's your old man in the canoe.
Speaker 8: That's my dad. Yeah, he's he's big on sun protection and man, red fish on the half shell, Holy cow, that's a great fish to eat. I didn't really know what the half shell thing meant. But when you cook them up like that, it.
Speaker 5: Hardens up and it's scales.
Speaker 8: It's almost like chunks of crab out of there. Is amazing. I actually I just cooked up that red fish he gave me this summer after. It was delicious fish. I didn't know you gave that fish to me.
Speaker 5: You can do that same thing with northern pike, yeah, can.
Speaker 8: Man, you're gonna have to catch something.
Speaker 5: Cook northern you leave the scales on.
Speaker 8: You can do that and it forms that delicious slime scrape and you get down to man, you're not going to eat the skin.
Speaker 2: Oh you know a trick on d slimemen. Those suckers you ever put them in salt? From minute that ship comes off.
Speaker 5: It's amazing how they keep producing it for.
Speaker 2: Where's it coming from?
Speaker 6: All right?
Speaker 2: Number two?
Speaker 8: I think we all do.
Speaker 3: I'm we're going to do Brodie's Number three.
Speaker 2: Oh well, this canna take forever.
Speaker 8: I tried to go fast.
Speaker 3: It's nine things to talk about.
Speaker 5: This is tough for me. Man, I've had a lot of good things. I kind of concentrated on family trips because they're the most fun these days. Uh, this is every couple of years. Uh, I got to go on this vacation where my wife's family gets together for a family reunion down south, and it's kind of vacation where people spend half the day on the beach and half the day at the pool. And that that is tough for me. So I always try and squeeze some fishing, and uh, we got into some that first picture, we got into some dorado and kobea a few my I was out, And then the next picture we really got into this speckled trout and white trout back in the sound, and uh, it was just a great trip.
Speaker 2: Love it.
Speaker 8: Did you gaff that thing while you had it on the fly?
Speaker 5: The guy we're fishing with a guide we know down there and he threw that gaff. He did the gaffing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it was my number three. Oh. I was just here here, I'm holding the triple tail. I shot with a spear gun. But this is just a placeholder. For the last bunch of years, handful of years I've been going down and diving, uh, spearfishing the oil rigs and the golf of Mexico, and uh, that's become not my most favorite, but a favorite thing of mine to go do is do the oil rigs and uh with that triple tail. It's funny because you have all this murky brackish water that floats up top, and then you have this little band of clear water. So let's say it's thirty feet deep. You'll have like twelve feet of muck that's on top. Then you'll have a four or five foot band of water you can see, and then you got all the bottom muck. And they call it like the center of the oreo, and you hunt the center of the oreo. And it's funny because like fish going to the center of the oreo, and this this oreole center was about big enough for a person to lay horizontal in it. I'm not kidding you. It's like a very narrow window of clear water. And I go down and I find that narrow window of clear water and I look and there's that sun bitch of tripletail sitting there. And the last thing he thought was someone's gonna shoot it.
Speaker 5: You know, they lay sideways under like palettes and shit like, yeah he was.
Speaker 2: He was upright in the rig, upright in the rig, and I walked up to him like I was walking up to you, you know, in no country for old man. When he gets the cop with that captive bolt gun. Yep, that was me and that fish.
Speaker 5: That's a big triple tail.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm done.
Speaker 3: Maggie's number two, my number two.
Speaker 8: This is uh cool mountain fishing trip right in my backyard and the winds went up there with my boyfriend. This is actually a very memorable fishing trip from a dumb mistake I made, which I'll get to.
Speaker 3: But uh so where is this, Maggie?
Speaker 8: Sorry, this is in the Winds.
Speaker 3: I don't know where that is.
Speaker 8: It is the wind River Range in Wyoming.
Speaker 3: Ah, gotcha, this is the lingo. I'm not privy too, thank you.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 8: So we went in I think about sixteen or seventeen miles one day and we sort of just made a big loop and fished our way around for a week and came out another trailhead. It was awesome. My old dog he was I think eleven there and he was a trooper came the whole time. We uh yeah, caught cuddies, Brookies. It was just a really great trip. I brought this little packet of like curry paste up with me. It was like a single use packet and cooking fish over the fire with some cur repast in the middle. Like maybe you're just backcountry hungry, but holy moly, it was delicious. It was he like, didn't need butter anything. It was really good. So the last day are it rained so hard our our tent. It was like slapping a bag of wind if you ever did that in your youthful days. Uh. So it rained harder than I'd ever seen it rain in the winds. And we're walking out and I'm just popping along, thinking about a cheeseburger and a cold beer at the burger bar, and uh, you know, we're off trail because there's a bunch of trees down and stuff. And I just took one bad step and uh there's a lot of swearing involved.
Speaker 2: Looks like you took a bad step and got hit by a truck.
Speaker 8: Was like, uh, you know, he was like, oh, I'll just set up the tent. I'll leave you here. You know, I'll go get some horses and come back and get you. And I was so mad, I was, I'm walking out of here. Got so I walked out nine miles on a broken ankle, and I've got a plate and seven screws to boot from it.
Speaker 2: Wow, that looks painful.
Speaker 8: So watch your stuff out there, kids, all right?
Speaker 3: Bro to your number two?
Speaker 5: Oh yeah. A couple of years ago we go to Fort Peck usually every year for a Memorial Day weekend, and a couple of years ago we just had like the trip of trips, like for three days we could do like no wrong on Walleye and Pike, like giant Walleye, Big Pike, and it was it was just like one of the best fishing trips I've ever been on. Like the boys were just crushing big fish.
Speaker 4: It was.
Speaker 5: It was just a lot of fun.
Speaker 2: You can also get your heart broken there too.
Speaker 9: Oh yeah.
Speaker 5: I mean the year before it wasn't that great. Last year it.
Speaker 2: Was just like the wind too.
Speaker 5: Yeah yeah, but that we just like hit it perfectly and it was just lake.
Speaker 2: Cool.
Speaker 3: Steve, you want to do your you're number two?
Speaker 2: Bring that up here.
Speaker 3: I think we all know this picture.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah one, uh, the one that got away. That octopus still down there, still down there, still haunts me somehow. I'm gonna find out where he lives. Pushing the pot. I know where he lives. They don't move that much. We're going to tangle again, probably this August.
Speaker 5: That thing might be big enough to just drag your book.
Speaker 2: Because I told you that what I learned about it, what the guy told me.
Speaker 5: A trick, a fishing TRICKIM.
Speaker 2: When you're fighting, having a fight with one, put a hook into him, yeah before then you fight with him, and when if he wins the fight, he just takes off to the bottom, then you crank him back up and fight with him again. You can fight him as many times as you want because you got that hook stuck in them. So next time I get him up to the boat, I'm putting a hook into him, or I'm going to drag his ass to the beach. I'm just gonna drive to the beach. Just on the beach, he can stick to the bottom of the boat all he wants, and then he's pretty soon it's gonna be pinned between my boat bottom and the bank. I got it all planned.
Speaker 3: I'm just imagining this being the last act of your life, like decades from now, and it's just you and the octopus. You both end up on a beach somewhere.
Speaker 2: I would love to die fighting that octopus.
Speaker 3: Great, Okay, let's go to Maggie's number number one.
Speaker 8: See what Oh my uh Nate, my boyfriend and my good friend Emily and I took his awesome trip to Costa Rica pas Gios pesca dios se uh that rooster fish. I it fought so hard it was it was like tailing like a tarpain getting up and I was so spent, and the guys picked it up and handed it to me. I was like, oh, man, I gotta do push ups before my next saltwater fishing trip. I spent, But so we went out a couple days with the guy. We went out at the beginning of our trip. This is like a two week trip. We just kind of bopped around the Osa Peninsula and so we went out the first day and we crushed it on Dorato. So we had a pile of fish that we just freeze and carried around with us, and we went out. I think it was like right before Christmas that first day. So I think the next picture should be our Christmas feast. Oh that's a jack I caught off shore. We just tossed poppers off the shore for jack and there were brewster fish surfing in the waves. Really, it was incredible just the diversity of fish we found. So this was all Doroto. We've got like three different We've got like two savices, a poke kind of like a crudo sashimi thing, some pan fried fish, uh, some kind of burnt fried plantains, and a embarrassing amount of Pillson's in the trash can over there. But uh, but that was our Christmas feast. All in. The snapper was incredibly good eating.
Speaker 2: That's a mutton.
Speaker 5: Is that a coubrera?
Speaker 8: I think it's a small cubrera. The cubra was really tasty.
Speaker 5: Those things get jagged, they get huge.
Speaker 8: We caught a bigger one, but that size was really good eating. We actually, the one souvenir we brought back from Costa Rica was this like metal dish that we bought at one of the local stores so we could cook those snapper fish in it. And that is a that's the one thing we brought home and I still use it for cooking fish.
Speaker 3: Great, all right, Brody, you're number one.
Speaker 8: Hmm.
Speaker 5: Every trip to the Fish Act is good. But last year was like exceptionally good fishing. And the funny thing is, like a day or two before we got there, Steve called me and he's like, man, they got some bad news. He's like, the fishing is really good, so it's bound to end soon.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it comes in seven day waves.
Speaker 5: But we got there and it just kept going and going and going all week. Halibut, salmon, Pacific cod, lincott. It was just like a really good king salmon. It was just a really really good week of fishing. And it's just always a great time up there.
Speaker 3: Great, all right, let's move on to Steve's number one here.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, so that's yeah, that's a wooden hook, a traditional Native Alaskan coastal Native Alaskan fishing hook called a knock knah. I was out with Heather Duville and her father Mike, who lived in Craig, Alaska. Their cling it and they took me out to fish. We were filming my New History Channel show Hunting History, and one of the scenes we go out with them to fish with traditional hooks. I had always seen these hooks everywhere you go in Southeast Alaska. One of these hooks is hanging on the wall and I always thought two things. I thought, how do you set that thing? And two there's no way that thing works. And we put a dozen of those hooks down. Let them fish for maybe two hours.
Speaker 5: You're baiting at with octopus, right.
Speaker 2: Baita with octopus. Her and her dad set out. They always set them in pairs. They set them in pairs so the hooks compete with each other. We set out six pairs. Okay, they let them fish out of two hours. Maybe we let them sit for two hours. So twelve hooks, all set in the same area on the same bank, come back and had and had three three halbit all seventy plus.
Speaker 8: So you're not like trugging.
Speaker 2: That hook floats. So that hook is tied to a rock. So there's a rock, and you had about eighteen inches of the line, and that hook floats above the rock. It's buoyant and it's got two different woods, so it floats the right way, and it's one of those what he ate is wrapped an octopus. So he goes on and they got a metal spike on there that winds up catching them pointing back the other way. So they were telling me that traditionally those hooks were made with bear, not metal, not stainless, but bear shinbone. Okay, So they carved their own knocks and they put that stainless barb on there, you know. But I when I got home, I put out an email at looking for bear shinbones, and Corey's not here, gave me a bear shinbone. So I cut that bear shinbone up, and I made a couple bear shin bone barbs, and that they had given me one of those knocks, and I took the steel spike off and put a bear shinbone. I made the I did the whole thing. I dried it out real good and then made it with a belt sander. So I made the prong and mounted that bear shinbone prong and sent it back up the heather. And they're gonna take it out and fish it cool, and seeing I think it's gonna hold up nice. Yeah, I think it's gonna hold up. That was But that day, that was one of the most incredible things I've ever seen. Twelve hooks, three big hal but one of those sets had two. So seeing a halbit come up on a wooden hook tied to a rock.
Speaker 3: That's why I mean a rock.
Speaker 8: I had seen those, but I always assumed they were like trolled or something.
Speaker 2: It was cool as shit, man, I couldn't believe. You know. The other thing is when that fish is hooked on that thing, he's just like they take him up real general. He's not fighting. It's like you got him, you got him by the balls. When he's on that thing, man, they just come up the like I give up.
Speaker 5: And when when they're pulling him in, are they harpooner? They just lift it up.
Speaker 2: And so he takes I learned so much shit about hell. But this day, when that fish comes up, he's got a way. He hits it on its nose flop, just stuns them, just stuns them, and you already pull big hell in. The boat starts beating all around. It's gonna like break fishing rides, and everybody's freaking out. They pet it on the white side of the belly. You just tickle its belly and they go rigid. And then I also learned I've been bleeding halbit all the way wrong. When they bleed a halibit, it's like it's like it's like a Quentin Tarantino movie. Yeah, where I can't explain it. You don't want to give away that dude, and they're not sawing away. I mean they take that knife and one little and it's like, like I said, it's like a I didn't know there's so much blood in Albit. We bleed helbit, you get like a thimble. They bleed hell. But like I said, it looks like it's like it's like watching pulp fiction.
Speaker 8: Hmm.
Speaker 2: That's a hell of a day, I bet. Thank you, Heather.
Speaker 3: Awesome, Thanks guys. Okay, last last Q and a oh exacting here and then we'll wrap up the shows here, last last call for questions. Get him in if you want us. The first one's more of a comment, but he thought you'd appreciate this. Steve Collins says that he finally picked up a copy of The Scavenger's Guide to Hook Cuisine from a used bookstore and the lower half of the pages are covered in dried deer blood. So that's great to let you know.
Speaker 2: That's great. How do you know it's dear blood?
Speaker 3: He says. Apparently someone whoever sold it to the store wrote a note saying it was dear blood. Maybe maybe he's just trying to cover it.
Speaker 2: Well, that's classic murder. That's a classic murder move right there, Cops get to your house. That's all dear blood boys.
Speaker 3: Question for the crew, what do you think of shed hunting area closures? Is it ethical or a pointless gesture?
Speaker 2: No, I think it makes sense, like in some place. It depends in some places. I think where you have Like I think if you got an area where you got those incredible amounts of snow, and you got a bunch of animals that are already stressed and half dead, and it's March, and they and instead of people hounding them and chasing them around, get antlers. I see now and then that it makes sense to tell everybody to hold off till until you produce the snow load and the animals can move on.
Speaker 8: I totally agree because I live right in the middle of a huge mule deer migration corridor. We've got elk feed grounds, and if people could just go in there whenever, like those animals would be freaked out. Yeah, and the most stressful time of the year.
Speaker 5: You just don't need to be bumping them around at the time of year when they're at their like the bottom of their health for the year. It's just like too easy to run them down.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and there's a saying winter, winter weekends, spring kills. You're hitting them at a bad time. And then and then two you always got to like the the problem is too you always sometimes you got to make laws for the worst actors. Yep, And you get people. It sucks to say it, but you get people that run after and chase after animals to get them to drop.
Speaker 8: Oh man. And like the shed Opener where I live, it's well, they actually have a week for locals now, which is nice because it's slowed it down a little bit. But like I walk my dog out on BLM every day and I know the place is where the deer hold, and I avoid those places. You know, shed Opener, people are just running around on four or five side by sides, like not on dirt roads. There's more people out there. I never see a soul out there, and they're just all over the place, deer running around, freaking out like it's always a big ordeal. So you know, there might be something to having like one opening day being this big event, but I think it's better than animals getting chased around in the winter when they're already struggling. Pretty good.
Speaker 3: Mitch is asking how long is too long to freeze a skull before cleaning it to mount I.
Speaker 8: Had a deer skull in a Dave Sushi bag that I forgot about in my garage when I lived in a trailer. You're in Bozeman with my friend and Goes. I was wondering what was in that Dave Sushi bag in the garage and I opened it up, and good lord, bagging that thing's rancid. I was like, Oh, don't worry, I'll boil it. It'll be fine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that that bone will never weaken in a freezer.
Speaker 10: Cool.
Speaker 3: I think you covered a lot of this stuff on the podcast with most Steve, but this is the first radio live since your new show Hunting History premiered. Uh and Anthony's feeding into the conspiracy says, do you think DV Cooper burned his parachute?
Speaker 2: No? I mean, no one knows, but I don't know. If you ever a mess with the parachute, that's a They're a mess. They're a mess. I have to think I think he stashed it. I think he stuck it somewhere. I don't think he carried it around. I think he buried it somewhere. You know, after messing with one, like you stick that thing under log and jam it under there and throw some moss and stuff. You have to just you have to like dig in the right.
Speaker 5: Spot, especially in that environment.
Speaker 2: I don't think he carried it around. I think it would have been a bit in the rain.
Speaker 3: Greg's asking thoughts on Colorado non resident elk bow tags in twenty twenty five. Do you think the old over the counter units will be zero points? He's trying to build confidence. He wasn't over the counter guy that wasn't smart enough to save up his points.
Speaker 5: I think I think it was a necessary move as much as people don't want to hear it. And the point thing is going to be very unit dependent. Some units they'll you'll need points and some you won't. Just depends how many tags they issue.
Speaker 2: Cool. I could do this all day, Phil, I like these questions.
Speaker 3: Okay, well, this is officially the longest episode of Radio Live.
Speaker 2: We can keep going stop.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, cool, thanks the questions, guys, appreciate it is the part where you wrap up the show, Steve, you know, say anything else you want to say?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, Brody, wrap it up.
Speaker 5: How about I wrap it up by telling you to talk about your little history tour you're doing.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, so me and Randall tour is a little someone pointed out, the tours seems a little it's a little heavy.
Speaker 5: Guess what.
Speaker 3: Randal and Seth are still in the waiting room. Hey, guys, what's going on with.
Speaker 2: Me and Randall? Here's the deal, Me and Randall is there? Me know the dates off the top of their head.
Speaker 9: The eleventh and Bozeman.
Speaker 2: Me and Randall are going on a mini tour college. We're going on a college tour. We're going to college campuses and doing a free lecture about the mountain Man era we're doing. We're doing one at Montana State University. We're doing one at University of Montana, and.
Speaker 8: We're doing twentieth. Sorry, I'm trying to stick the dates.
Speaker 1: In there for okay.
Speaker 2: Montana State University February eleventh.
Speaker 8: University of Montana February twentieth.
Speaker 2: University of Wyoming February twenty sixth. Yeah, it's free, open to the public. Watch our website to get you got a register. You can't just show up. You gotta like tell your comings so we can so people don't show up and there's no seats, and I'm not sure how many of them still have seats, but like I said, come on down. Me and Randall on stage telling the story of the Mountain Men and what that era meant and means.
Speaker 8: There you go, go on the meat eater dot com live events.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna come down here next week maybe if you need to find out.
Speaker 3: Thanks everyone,