Speaker 1: Ba fam, we have another how to throw back for you, of course we do. All month, We're looking back at some of our favorite episodes from days past, for memorable guests who unforgettable moments. There's still so much to learn from the b A Vault. Take a listen, will ya.
Speaker 2: Hey?
Speaker 1: Hey oh we are back. We are black extra black. You're gonna see wit.
Speaker 3: A minute back in blacker than ever.
Speaker 1: Yes, and we're brod envision. Hey manja, are you excited about today's show? Like I'm excited about today's show.
Speaker 3: I mean, you know, when you get a couple of y chromosomes in the mix, you know that aren't related to you, you might like put a little extra, something extra, put a little messca on, get all excited. Yes, I'm excited because I mean with without further ado, let's let's let's let's let the people have what they want, which is a conversation with the earn your Leisure Gentleman Rashad Bilal Troy Millings with special guest Ian Dunlip. This was one of my favorite uh DA hosted guest video guest interviews ever. So I hope you guys enjoy all right we are I can't even tell you guys, how how long this has been in the making in my own dreams. But it hasn't been that long since I was like, Tiffany, do you know? Do you know Troy and Mashaw? Can you can you know Tiffany's friends. I'm always trying to just like wesel my way in there. But I'm so excited to have you guys on the show. The Biggest can we say, the biggest business? Okay, Ian's got it? I do you want to do?
Speaker 4: The platform?
Speaker 5: There is.
Speaker 6: Platform, there is se and Trugg gonna be humble. You know they went to church yesterday, the Biggest you know, wait.
Speaker 3: Let me finish, Let me finish. For those of you, you may be living under a rock, but I have a feeling if you're listening to Round Ambition, you must have seen Troy and Troy and Rashad's podcast Earn Your Leisure, which is so much bigger than a podcast. They have a podcast network. Some of our friends around that network. We've had Cash Cash on the show before. We are so thrilled to have you guys here. So welcome, first and foremost to Troy and Rashad. Welcome to the Ambition I want to thank you for having This is the girls room, This is like the girl's den. Yeah you ready.
Speaker 1: We have a handful of dudes that listen house plans we do. We always tease them like we're not talking to you right now, but you can listen. No, it's so excited for me to be here because everywhere I go, everywhere we go, every people are like, have you heard of Earned your Leasure? Or they're like, you know, Tiffany, I heard you on Earn your Leisure? You know, and so you have transformed the culture as it relates to personal finance, and so for that we are appreciative because normally, like you know, our audience is typically women, right man, he would say, like I said, we've got guys, but we got some guys right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah for sure. But no, but our mission when we started was to you know, this was six years in the making, this six years ago that we were starting to make the show, and our mission was there's no black women talking about finance and career and investing in all of all that and all that, and that's why we That was really the audience we were speaking to. And I feel like y'all have just exploded. And also, you know y'all are y'all are helping normalize black and brown black people, black men, especially talking about finance and business.
Speaker 1: And I never have more men slip into my d MS in a respectful way than when I'm on your self for all, because everybody knows I'm married my husband sixty six. You don't want it, and he's from there, but I love like queen. I think you want e l.
Speaker 3: Yeah, gentlemen, yes, so yeah, So welcome, welcome, welcome.
Speaker 1: Some we're not going to we want to maximize your awesomeness. I am going to me and Mandy. Well, well, we'll shoot and fire away at some questions. Well one, I'd like to know some like origin stuff before we get into like actual like technical questions. So like how did this all begin? Because you guys have had like like a a shot like shot of rise to like start them honestly, So how did it? How did it start?
Speaker 7: Yeah, for sure, I'll give you the whole story. So we started. Me and Troy been friends all our lives pretty much ever since like middle school, so you know we always was friends, always talking about you know, sports and rapp and all that kind of stuff. And me, you know, being a financial advisor after I got finished college, and Troy being a teacher. You know, he brought me in the classroom and he started teaching financial literacy to kids, and that was really the start of it. And then from there that kind of blossomed to me, you know, developing an Instagram page and you know, from there that that led to people ask and for a podcast, that led to you know, starting of Earning Your Leisure, which you know, we started off talking about you know, backstories of entrepreneurs and the back of different businesses, things of that nature, and then that kind of transformed into deep dives into different industries that transformed it's like a domino effect. Then that transformed in to where we have now, which is a platform. So Earn Your Leisure is not just the podcast as a platform. So like we have inan on with us right now, our partner on market Mondays, and that's the first show that we actually like executive produced, if you would say, under Umbrella. Now's the stock Show, and that became one of the top investment shows on the internet. So one domino kind of led to the next. But it really all started in the classroom and then from there, which I know you can appreciate, Tiffany, you being a teacher, performer teacher. And then that from there that just kind of led to what we do now, which I still feel like is a form of teaching, just in a in a different variety and not not in the classroom, but you know, on the internet for the whole world to see.
Speaker 4: I mean, there's so many similarities. And from what we were doing the summer internship program. Kids would come in, we would interview them and they woul tell us about their future aspirations, and then we would go out in the community and try to pair them up with that future aspiration, where it be a pediatrician, electrician, an architect, and so they would get the six weeks of experience of being what it's like, seeing what it's like to be in that profession. And so if you think about it, that's kind of what we do now. We just we're actually showing people the professions whereas the kids were going to see it and they will report back to each other. And two things I always say that can happen from an internship You can say, yeah, I really like this, I want to pursue this in the future. Or no way, this is too boring. I never want to do this. But you're getting that experience at fourteen, whereas most people are getting that after they've graduated from college, which is going to cost you a lot of money. And so that was our goal. And now we're doing that to the world. Right. We're introducing them to so many different careers so they can say, you know what, I want to pursue this, and they might be doing it at sixteen, they may be doing that at fifty, but they have their eyes open to so many different fields now.
Speaker 3: So it started from an internship program, correct.
Speaker 4: Yeah. So at the end of the internship, the kids were going to get paid like five hundred dollars, and so it was their first time at fourteen, it's your first time coming in contact with money. And so I knew that, and I said he was like, he said he was on his financial advising career, and I'm like, I think you should come and teach these kids about money.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 4: It's probably vital that they know what the value of it is, what they should do with it, because most of the kids at fourteen, it's like, all right, that's back to school shopping. I'm buying the new Sniggers. I'm buying some jeans, and they didn't realize after they bought the Sniggers and the jeans, they had no more money left.
Speaker 3: That's like half an AirPod? Why are they so expensive?
Speaker 1: You'll girl just lost. I'm like, you've got ear pop money. She actually does, because she's like, I work for you, so I.
Speaker 3: Need to send you. The Metro North still has one half of my AirPods, and I will be not forgotten. Speaking of the Metro North, I was going to work this in do y'all are y'all from Westchester?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 5: I read that right?
Speaker 3: I live fact, I live in Greenberg.
Speaker 4: No you don't, I do, Yes, I do.
Speaker 3: I just moved here a few years ago. Yeah, my husband's from Manhattan. Y'all are from the Bronx, right.
Speaker 2: Originally born?
Speaker 3: Where do you go when you're from the Bronx? Either Westchester or Jersey? And we ended up going to Westchester.
Speaker 1: Wow, it's not too late for Jersey. You can come on with.
Speaker 7: It's an interesting dynamic because it's like your your.
Speaker 3: Husband, he's black, he's Dominican.
Speaker 7: Dominican. Okay, so he's black my book.
Speaker 3: But you know, we have those discussions but we'll continue. This isn't about that.
Speaker 7: But that's a different that's a different conversation. But now, you know, growing up, that was the thing, like you know, if you if your parents did decent for themselves, like you said, and where we're from, Greenberg is actually one of the only towns in America where it's like a suburb, but it's like ninety percent black.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's a black like middle.
Speaker 3: Class is what we loved about it.
Speaker 7: Yeah, working class suburb, which is an interesting dynamic because Westchester County, like where we come from, is very segregated place, and you know, majority of it is like very well to do white neighborhoods, but then you have pockets where it's all black, like, yeah, we're from Greenberg, Mount Vernon, South Yonkers peak skill peak skill. So it's interesting. That's an interesting study in geography. You know, it's kind of off topic a little bit, but we're still talking about finance where it's like, you know, segregation is still alive and people just don't realize exactly. It's like they just are forced to move to certain neighborhoods or they move to certain neighborhoods, and it's like it's just interesting that this small town that we live in twenty minutes outside the Bronx, and ninety percent of the people migrated from the Bronx and it's all black.
Speaker 2: They could have moved.
Speaker 4: Crazy many is that in that in the program we actually did a project on the segregation of our town. Because it's tool.
Speaker 3: I want to read it. I love the history. Yeah, I don't want to know everything about it.
Speaker 4: It's very interesting, especially when you break it down to the school districts. So yeah, we'll talk. We'll talk after this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well we talked about this on the sh just like you know, as an investment home ownership being this you know pathway too. We're gonna talk about investing home ownership being this traditional form of wealth building in black and brown communities, and and and seeing why I had to reckon with the fact that oh I could afford a house here, because unfortunately it seems like home values have been yes, increasing, but not as you know, not as expensive as other areas in Westchester, and you have to think about, oh, well, there's racism, and.
Speaker 7: The homes don't appreciate the same level where we're from like any other place in west Chester. The homes appreciate much higher, but ironically, for some reason, in the Black neighborhood, the homes don't appreciate the same value as anywhere else in the county. So it's an interesting study. I actually would like to hit Ian's perspective on that too, because I was going.
Speaker 1: To say I would like to, like, I think, because having Ian here is special as well, and I'd love to hear some of the backfront, like how did you get here? How did you link with ear your leisure? You know, but how did you even get to the space where you knew? Like honestly, like, my sister loves you know, everyone he knows on the on the show, they're always like, bring Cara along. That's my sister who like gives us all of our our stock tips who she's like, now, I'm good, but she you are one of the few people that she's like, Yo, he's dope. Yes, I'd love to know how'd you get here? How'd you learn what you learn? How did you connect with her your leisure?
Speaker 6: It came out of pain. So I went to Indiana University. I'm from Northwest Indiana. I grew up twenty minutes from Chicago. In nineteen ninety nine. In two thousand, my dad gave a guy some money because he was in construction. God lost all the money, lost one hundred and two thousand, like three months doing option trads. And there was a guy's first three months with the firm. Literally told him, Hey, it just happens. And my dad was like, what do you mean, It just happens, like there was no care, no compassion. So that was my first introduction. Second introduction Indiana University. I'm walking from Valentine. Kudos Andy Shiftman, he's an agent now in the NBA, and he was like, Yo, Cuban made this crazy trade with Yahoo, which crazy enough. EYL went to interview him about, you know, fifteen years later, but Mark Cuban had She's so broadcast dot Com to Yahoo and then got the stocks and then shortened it as a FELLO took that money and then invested long term into the market. So I had an exposure to what happens when things don't go well and then this other side of like even when the market goes down, you can make money. So one of my buddies worked for JP Morgan in two thousand and seven. He worked for a big firm. He told me everything to invest in the recession. Guess what I did? Did not listen. He called me four months later and he was like, Okay, I'm about to retire. He was thirty five. He was like, you can liquidate everything that I told you to get and I was like, looqu what. He was like, no, I'm about to retire. He was like, you didn't buy what I told you and he was already rich, like but he still retired to this day from two thousand and eight from those investments. And I was like, see what had happened? Was I was going to and you know I went on the day too, And that was my first lesson of like, these recessions and huge crashes are immense opportunities. To us, we panic, but for other people they end up profiting from it. So from that point on, I was like, I'll never get caught not knowing what a recession is and how to take advantage of it. And I will post on Facebook and share stuff with my friends for free. And then one of my friends jury introduced me to Troy Orshat and then of course you know they didn't know me, and it's so many we all know this. We see people people who post online who act like they're the greatest, but they're not good at their craft, so it took them a while to like warm up to me. But after we connect and did episode seventy end up being a classic, and then from there goes to the power partnership. I'm like, hey, we should do a podcast together because I like working with other people, but in particularly I like working with us because let's be honest. In twenty ten, when I was talking about investing and using rap references in basketball references, it was looking down upon. It's like, no one wants to hear that perspective of the marker from Adam, you know. And I'm like, but my people in the barbershop get that. They don't understand what a derived derivative is.
Speaker 5: Or a synthetic instrument. They're like, a what is that? A beat machine? Like? What's that? So making it plain made it fun.
Speaker 6: And I think we are shitting in a wave to make it acceptable for us to be us and invested in the market. And last year I think our growth was the biggest in investing in this entire history.
Speaker 3: Can I ask y'all a question going back to your origins? What I know so Rashad financial advisor. Ian, you also worked in wait, JP Morgan or is that a buddy?
Speaker 5: No, that was my buddy mom. I'm an investor, I just didn't learn how to do.
Speaker 3: It on my own d y investing. So Troy educator teach, what did you teach?
Speaker 4: I taught health science and physics.
Speaker 3: Sound was like, coach Troy, exactly right. But but y'all, I mean, and I know Ian you kind of shared some of your early financial inspirations. But for Troy and Rashad, I mean, who was it? How did you end up here? I think personally, you know, I accidentally ended up in personal finance, you know, kicked on my butt as a millennial in the Great Recession. Tiffany's story, I think it's very well known about, you know, a similar comeback story after the recession. But yeah, what's what? What what drives y'all? What's your inspiration financially? Who or what is your inspiration? What was that moment for y'all?
Speaker 7: I mean, for me, I think my dad was definitely a major inspiration for me. Like I grew up in the household, Like my mom is a teacher and she's like very you know, ultra paycheck, like she has no heart to be an entrepreneur, like she needs to have a paycheck. She's not feeling an entrepreneur life. And part of that is that, you know, my dad's entrepreneur's whole life, but you know, being an entrepreneur's ups and downs. So you know, I grew up in the household where you know, I saw like, you know, financial issues, like you can see like you know what I'm saying, Like as you get older, you start to you know, realize what's going on, and you know, you see fights and arguments and it's like you said this last.
Speaker 2: Time, I'm not you're not borrowing more money from me.
Speaker 7: Da da da. So it's like you start to see, like there's good months and then there's bad months. But that's the life of an entrepreneur. But I always appreciated that, you know, he didn't have to work for anybody, and you know, he always had that like do for self mentality, and that's something that I always wanted to do. I never really wanted to work for anybody. I never was good at following orders or following directions. It's something I never never was good at. So I always knew I wanted to be an entrepreneur my whole entire life. I just wasn't sure exactly what direction I wanted to go in. So, you know, business is something that I always fell in love with, Like even when I was young, I loved the stock market, like just movies like Wall Street and Barbarians at the Gate, Like I was watching these movies when I was twelve years old. It was just something about I wanted to be a corporate takeover artist. It was just fascinating to me, like you know, growing to Wall Street when I was a kid and just seeing everything move so quickly, it just was like fascinating to me. So I always wanted to be involved in the stock market. I always wanted to to, you know, be in the industry.
Speaker 3: But you're different. You weren't like most twelve was. Do you think it was because living in Manhattan, you know, Wall Street was so close but so far. Do you think that was part of the allure?
Speaker 7: Nah, not really, because most of the people that I grew up with didn't share the same ambition or the same passion for business or stocks that I had. So I don't know, I don't I don't know what it was, but I guess you know, sometimes in life you just you know, you can just see a kid and you're like, he's going.
Speaker 5: To be.
Speaker 7: Helped too, Yeah, seeing it, Yeah for sure. But even now, I mean I have siblings and they're not entrepreneurs. They didn't they didn't go down that route. And they're older than me, so I'm the youngest. So you know, I just think sometimes you just have things that's just wide in your brain. And like I said, I always had an issue with authority, like you know, even playing basketball player.
Speaker 1: You know, you don't.
Speaker 3: Really me and.
Speaker 1: Mandy been hard headed.
Speaker 7: I think that, you know, that's that's a gift that the courage, but more of a gift, more of a gift because me to figure out.
Speaker 2: You know, I never really had a real job.
Speaker 7: So I had a job one time at Target for two weeks when I was in college. I got fired. I got fired after I think like ten days that you just left kind of I got fired at me.
Speaker 2: Like a two hour lunch.
Speaker 4: Target like a two hour lunch.
Speaker 2: But they're like, look, this isn't gonna work out.
Speaker 5: The thirty minute lunch.
Speaker 4: Break trash though, But that's real. You know, that's a true story. That's a truth story. H came home from college. He's like, what I'm gonna do? He's like, Yo, you think I could teach. I'm like, I don't know if that's gonna be fair.
Speaker 3: Wait, so Rashad, Okay, so you're this like budding entrepreneur very you know, it sounds like you're very risk tolerant. If we can use some you know, investing speak, So Troy Public Education, I'm sensing maybe you were. Well, you tell me your story, because y'all, the.
Speaker 4: My parents, I'm first generation. My parents are from Jamaica, and so we would you know, we would exactly exactly. I mean they installed hard work, hard work, hard work, and they instilled like being a certain profession, and teaching wasn't one of them. I kind of just stumbled upon it because I naturally had to work at kids. Our first job was working at a community center as counselors, and so I always worked with kids, and I loved sports. I thought I was gonna play sports, and so my biggest inspiration with athletes and rappers like straight up like Jay and Puffer with inspirations. For me, obviously, Michael Jordan was an inspiration, and I thought, like, you know what if I can't play sports, I want to be around it at least, and so I initially wanted to be a physical therapist, and very quickly I was like, why am I doing this? I hate science, Like this is just too many science courses. I'm not going to make this, and so I just put the two natural things that I knew. I knew working with kids, I knew sports, and so I said, I'm going to teach his head. So my biggest inspirations with that. And once I knew that I wasn't going to make money from sports, I said, let me find a profession in sports that I can't make money. So sports medicine became a thing, and then obviously it fell out. But you know, my inspirations are around me my friends. Like I said, I've no shotting pretty much my whole life. He's been an entrepreneur most of my entire like since I've known them, right, And so our other partner, Mike, is an entrepreneur as well. And so imagine the text messages as I'm going to work and they're just waking up. But I was thinking, they're like, look, man, you know what, You're not gonna be doing this for long and I'm like, now I really love this, like and til you know, like when you when you're working around kids and you see your purpose and you realize how different you are in the education field, and you know there's not going to be anybody that replaces. If you leave, you become more passionate. But I've always had the entrepreneurial mindset, and I think we had an argument once. He was like, yeah, you got a boss, and I'm like, now, I don't have a boss. I work for myself to the real bosses of the kids that I'm so those kids were my boss because they would be able to tell me how I was doing on a daily basis, whereas the principal, I know more about this profession that I'm doing than he does, and so if I do my job, I look good and so to see and if he does his job, we all look good. And so we work in this together. I always looked at everybody as my colleague and they were like, yeah, sounds good, but you got a boss.
Speaker 1: But you know, like for you know, like when you teach, you are literally a quick to do just about anything anything because like yo, you're like a psychologist, you're a CEO of that classroom. You're the CFO. You gotta do teacher social work, and then every year it flips and you got to learn and readjust.
Speaker 5: The relations skills are great.
Speaker 6: Every kindness like you two are too, the kindness Like were shouting not rough that authority thing. We're be like all right, like we're shouting failed in, just fail. You guys are a lot more patient. You're gonna get it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, when he came into the classroom, I know, joke, when he came in and he credit to him because he's gotten a lot better with actually being in from the classroom, he would get their attention, like all right, all right, all right, all right, and like going to work, I'm like, now we gotta ease it. We got to ease it in. Then we got to ease this this thing again. But yeah, me so. And this is something that I want people to realize, Like I don't come from a business background. My business comes from watching my brothers and watch my friends be entrepreneurs and learning that. And so it's encouraging because it's like, look, you can do this. It takes a lot of research, it takes a lot of homework, It touches a lot of discipline. But you know, anybody can do it if you put the right amount of time in.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well we're coming up on well, we've already passed the one year pandemic adversary, which it seems dumb to even call it that because it's such a traumatic, uh traumatic year, especially for black communities, especially for black and brown communities. But let's talk about the market, because I know a year ago markets were down. Were they down? I don't know if I'm getting to it's April now, what is even time? It was a scary time for some people, but to your point, Ian, it was also a time of opportunity. How do you think people So let's say, let's say Ian, people you know had a year like you did ten years ago when your friend told you to invest and they were like, I'm not going to do it. I'm a little too afraid. So they feel like they've missed the boat. Now we're a year post pandemic. What what message you have to people who were like, damn, I didn't get hurts. I didn't people.
Speaker 1: People she meets me, I was like my sister was like me watching over the wire. I don't know. I invested me. I have a Wealth Group. Carol was like get this, get this. I was like, Oh, tell me how it works out. She's like, I'm up a thousand percent. What about you. I'm like, I mean I'm up a thousand percent in business, So yes, Ian, how can I stop up my tears and be ready for the next time?
Speaker 6: For me, it took me twelve years to get ready for this moment. But I will tell anyone that missed out use that as motivation to never get caught in this again. Because like, imagine, so I looked like I visited Westchester's nice. When I looked at the houses, I'm like, kind of pricey because I'm in Houston, So like five hundred thousand, get us a mansion. I'm like, got a wait to move out there, right, But imagine if houses out there that are the prices now they dropped eighty percent, we would be like, girl, we got to go get get all friends, and go buy as many houses as possible. Last year happened in everyone panicked and so in real time I was telling people how far the market was going to drop and want to buy it.
Speaker 5: So last year we did a collaboration with stock Club.
Speaker 6: Like at one time, I was like by Apple, Microsoft's Maderna Tesla AMD and video Microsoft Shopify jkhy in five nine clouds on average. For those who got into stock Club last year, they're up like five thirty five percent. Indexes included right, And if you missed out, it's like, damn, I should have took advantage of it. But the great part is the market drops every month. It's like, just as sure as the sun is going to shine, rain is going to come. We have to take advantage of those moments. But when those big drops happen in quality companies, And Rashad said, what we do with market Monday is like, do you think eighty percent of value of Boeing left just because the market dropped with fifty percent of Apple actually left?
Speaker 5: No, those are the greatest times to buy.
Speaker 6: Of course, do your research if you're super serious about investing. I'm telling everyone to read one hundred pages a day. If you're beginning to start with ten pages a day, you'll be surprised the attraction that you can cover and you will be able to beat ninety nine percent of people. But if you just buy every single month, we have fifty percent drops. If you buy quality companies like top ten companies you'll go to my My formula is two index funds and then two technology companies. That's all you need, equally weighted. So if you have ten thousand dollars, split the money up amongst the four and you'll be fine. But those opportunities when the market crashes, I'm going to be very honest. Those of us that are investors were a smile and ear to ear and be like, thank you God. I appreciate you.
Speaker 3: In a sad way though, because you know for some well also too, but I have so many questions, but for me. So for example, I got a call from my cousin Tia and Atlanta. I'm from Atlanta originally, even though I wrapped the burg. Now, I don't know what a young people around here. So I'm just like an old married lady with.
Speaker 5: The dope though.
Speaker 4: The burg that's what we call Greenberg, one of those. I'll bring it to your house, y'all.
Speaker 3: But really, when you find out we live two streets away from each other, that's going to be the real because Greenby is tiny. All right, mom, brain, where was my question? All right? Listen, my cousin t Ya, that's right. She calls me and listen as Rashad. I know, especially in Ian probably too, you know that you can't just like give I have so many cousins, you know, some of my couple of my siblings too, who you want to just like give them a financial advice, but they have to come to you. You know, I have learned people don't want you preaching to them. They need to come to you. So finally, after years of like text me whenever you got a question to you, she finally texts me. She's a preschool or preschool teacher in Atlanta, really hurt by their recession, and she's like, hey, my coworker was talking about game Stop. Should I buy some? And MY first reaction was like, no, this was not when GameStop was. This was when it was in the news to the point where you know, my cousin was hearing about it. But I like what you said about education, because for me, I wanted to be like, yes, you know, buy some stock. But for me, I hesitated because I knew that she didn't have the education part. Downline. It's almost like you need to read and be educated so that you can take someone's advice and you can, you know, make an educated decision. About investing. So what would you say to and you know Tiya when I when she came to me and asked me about that, I was like, do you have a four to one K? And she hadn't, and she was like leaving a match on the table. So for people who are maybe they haven't, you know, they're not ready for the moment quite yet. It's not their time. We call it financial double Dutch. It's not their time to just jump in, you know, just quite yet. Backing it up. I mean, do you feel like that, you know, it doesn't matter just jump in any way? Or because I tend to be more risk averse, or do you feel like some people should just start with you know, four one K start with I or Ray start with emergency fund first and foremost before And.
Speaker 1: I'll piggyback on that question, like and then what does someone start to read? Like if someone's like, okay, I want to prepare, you know, like, you know, what, what books would you suggest someone start with and start to accumulate that kind of knowledge? The big give I'm in this question.
Speaker 5: Well, if they want to be financially hold, that should probably get your book.
Speaker 3: I mean, yeah, I get it with money in the camera just a little bit.
Speaker 1: It's like it's always but seriously, like, I I have a fourteen year old step daughter, and I want to because she's making money from me and everybody else that she's been working with, and I want you know, she knows how to budget, she knows how to save, but I'm like, I want to sit down with her to be like, let's let's invest together. So I'm like something that's simple enough that I think if a fourteen year old can start, then anyone can. So I'd love to know.
Speaker 7: I'm going to let Ian answer this, but I think that first we have to get out of the the thing of like what books to read, because as a teacher, you understand that there's seven different I think, seven different learning styles. Everybody learns differently. Everybody does not learn by reading. Like me, like, I don't really read that many books. If I read a book, it's going to be I'm listening to the book on audio. I can remember something a lot better than reading something like my brain is not work in that manner. And I feel like I feel like you know, even now in this generation, people are learning differently, So we can never discount the value of how someone learns. So one of the best ways to learn is podcasts.
Speaker 3: Are how do you know any investing podcasts?
Speaker 5: People should to.
Speaker 7: Podcast YouTube, even instagram you learn. You can learn if you follow the right the right pages, and the right people. So that's the first thing because I feel like just still. I remember I was telling my cousin before. He was like, here were books you're reading. He was in jail at the time, so you know, in jail, like they reading scrolls, like they're reading everything. Like I'm like, you know, I'm listening. He's like, you're listening to an audio. Like he was like, you know, like that's not learning. I'm like, wow, the same thing. What if I'm listening to somebody tell me something or if you're reading it, what's different about it? So that's the first thing. I feel like, you know, in the age of information, there's so many different ways to learn, and me personally, I learned better from listening to podcasts, watching videos, and actually even you know, buying courses then buying books.
Speaker 2: I'm not going to read a book this big, I ain't gonna do it.
Speaker 1: If you send them a long text, you not, no, no, And that's good, thank you for because you write the educated. To me, it's like, you're right, because there are differentiated learning. Says that, like, you know, everybody absorbs knowledge differently, and you ought to find the way that you best learn.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: So no, that makes total sense.
Speaker 6: And then for me two things, we need to stop saying that investing this heart it is not for us, because the greatest rist that will take is not being able to have our money work for us. And I've been saying this in twenty ten then last year hitting everyone's like, maybe you had a point, because what if I was talking to a guy today who came to put a desk together for me. He has a friend that is working with businesses to automate eighty percent of employees out of businesses.
Speaker 5: It's a business owner. I'm like, what's the automation.
Speaker 6: The other side of me, I'm looking at them like, well, my aunts, my cousins, my relatives, they're going to be out of work. So if we're not putting our money into the possession of these companies and you're actually buying a part of a business which we already know with wants to invest in, I think the greatest risk is not investing in them. My favorite book is money Master the game. It is that thick. So what if I sat you down with Drake Tupac Lee or whomever in the music industry and that was their bible, which you read it. I think a lot of times people don't know what the outcome is going to be. That's why they don't want to read. But I'm like, hey, if you invest one thousand dollars a month, you should probably end up with the minimum of five hundred thousand. That would entice people a hell of a lot more. I think we were more than capable of being able to invest in the mark.
Speaker 7: I think they still I think they still won't read it, I think, and that which is sad.
Speaker 3: But the thing is, also, you don't need to read a book to know how to just put money in a target date fund, you know. And that's what you're talking about. It's not for us often. It's like the the literature, the written tips about investing. It makes it feel like and my cousin Tia, all she had to do was go to her you know hr website, opt in. They automatically put her in a target date fund. And you know what if that had happened ten years ago, she would have been ready without reading a book. Yeah, you know what I mean, I was ready for this recession because baby Mandy at twenty two or twenty three opened a four oh one K in twenty eleven, you know, and I just put in my fifteen percent however much a month since then. So yeah, we always send that message. And I think where Tiff and I kind of you know, are always kind of towing that line is for some people, that's good, like you're doing it, you're investing, you know, if you got a four to one kor in IRA. But then where you guys are more comfortable playing and as the individual stock picking and things like that, that I think that is the point where I'm like, probably read a book.
Speaker 7: I think you have to meet people where they're at. And that's one of the things that our platform has grown. It's not like we're the first people to ever talk about investing or real estate, but we have created a platform probably the first platform of any real you know, stature, that delivers the information in the language other people can understand, and it's it's very it's very digestible. So we understand that people have a lot of stuff going on, so you know, they might not want to invest in reading, and hey, that's that's their prerogative. But now they can just tune us in and they can listen and yeah, no, we start with the basics before you actually should invest.
Speaker 5: Me.
Speaker 7: I'm a financial advisor, so my whole background is basics. As far as you know four one k's iras that all of these things, emergency savings. I was talking about that stuff way before we had an investment show, like you should have three months minimum, six months recommended, twelve months maximum. As far as emergency savings, this stuff is not really sexy, and nobody really wants to talk about that, but you know, Tiffany does a great job of explaining that in great detail. And that's that's the fundamentals. When I used to play sports, you know, learn the fundamentals. You can't shoot a half caught hook shot before you can make a layup, like you know what I mean. Like you try to skip the basics and you're gonna hurt yourself. You try to jump into cryptocurrency before you actually have done anything, and you're going to lose everything because it's not based off of information. I always say investing is a game of knowledge. Gambling is a game of chance. You co mingled the two when you don't have knowledge, so you can gamble by investing if you just a lot of people's researchers with somebody told them. So, if my research is what Troy told me, no matter how knowledgeable research, no matter how knowledge, I'm still relying on for somebody information. Right, that's like a game of telephone. So we have to we have to start at the basic levels. And it's not complicated, but it's just a matter of just doing some investing in yourself. Investing in yourself and investing yourself could just be time, like just taking an hour out your day, and I feel like, now there's so much information now.
Speaker 4: Gonna add to that. A lot of times we and I did this too, right, especially in education. You get your summer reading log and it's a bunch of bus that you don't want to read, and since you didn't read them, that didn't count. And I used to think to myself, like I don't read enough. I don't read enough. And I started discounting myself because I didn't realize like, wait, I'm reading the daily news every day, I'm reading ESPN magazine every day. What I'm reading is different. It's not a book on literature, it's actually a book on sports or I'm learning something from it. So that led me into reading websites, going to websites every morning. Right, So when we started, I had like fifteen publications I would read every morning, so I would wake up at like five o'clock and read them. I had CNBC Business Insider, Fox Business. I mean like literally every morning. This was what I was reading and finding articles and learning. Every time I read, I learned something new, and that just became a habit.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 4: So I know they say if you do something for thirty days, it becomes a habit. Tried doing that for like two years, right, So the amount of information that I'm learning again, I told you, like education is my background, but now business is my life, and so it becomes that because I'm learning every time I read. I don't want people to discount the things that they read. Yeah, you may not have read Money Masters a game, but you can go to CNBC dot com. You can.
Speaker 5: Article.
Speaker 7: But we have to stop looking past our institutions. Like a lot of times, we we have the answers in front of us, and we make it more complicated. Like so the question is like where to start? Get that question a lot. So like Tiffany has several books, that's a starting point. Earn your Lesia has over four hundred videos on YouTube and three posts on Instagram a day. That's a starting point. Market Monday is the starting point. We have Eyo University. That's a starting point. Red Panda stock Club that's a starting point. So before before I lead people to any other direction, I'm gonna lead them to where we actually started because this is a language that we speak. I personally don't read the Wall Street Journal. Of course, the Wall Street Journal is very valuable. It's a highly respected newspaper. But I don't read it. So I can't recommend something that I don't do myself.
Speaker 5: But you are executing on the part.
Speaker 7: I listen to Market Mondays because I'm on Market Mondays. I know I was trusted. I would watch CNBC from time to time, so I can't recommend that. But other than that, I don't really think like we have. That's that's an issue. We always looked like the holy grail of something.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what's the one thing I can read every day? And it's a lot of pressure. I like what you said about you know, you put too much pressure. I don't read enough. You know, if you're waiting for the one thing you're gonna read that's going to change your life and be waiting a long time, it's more. It's it's the sum of everything that you've read, you know, and it takes time. And you're right, people don't want to hear that. Let's talk about the network. E y L is not just one podcast. How many shows do you guys have?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 2: Four?
Speaker 3: Four? Four shows?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 4: Five?
Speaker 7: We got five okay, name the name them, Market Mondays, Inside the Vote, Social Proof podcast.
Speaker 2: And then we have dream Nation dream Nation, and we have.
Speaker 4: In a Wealth podcast and The Wealth.
Speaker 7: Those two are coming, they're coming, okay. One is a mental health podcast. One is a real estate podcast and we're doing a limited limited edition podcast with John Henry, our friend John Henry.
Speaker 1: But I know who you're talking.
Speaker 3: About episode that's the guy from that show that sounds very vague.
Speaker 1: There was a show his Light Skinned with Glasses.
Speaker 3: Entrepreneurs like MTV but anyway vice Okay, thank you, yeah, MTV? Whoa what anyway that you don't know what that is today? What's the vision? Because and also help me understand. So y'all have been around for only a couple of years now, two years? Right, How did you get this far so quickly? Is this full time for you guys? Because I and listen, I you know, Tip and I've done the show for six years. It's not our it's not our sole focus the podcast. We each have our own things. But but for people who are looking at y'all and saying, like, oh, they have a podcast, they made it. This is their empire. Talk about where you guys are at. Is this is this your sole venture now? Or if y'all quit your day jobs and this is it y'all putting all the cards on the table, and what's the vision? What's the vision for for eyl Yeah?
Speaker 7: I mean I'm still I'm still a practicing financial advisor, but that takes up less and less on my time these days. And your LEADIA takes up probably ninety five percent of my time.
Speaker 4: And Troy, yeah, Andrew Leius is my life my life? Yeah, So I don't work for hours. I still educate. I just educate in a different medium now, Troy, Yeah, I don't. I don't belong to a school district. I belong to the world.
Speaker 7: But how we was able to grow so fasts a couple of different things. Teamwork, you know, we have a strong team. Shot to Mike, shout out to Bam, shout to Jamal, shot to everybody that's a part. It's not just us. People see us, but it's more to it than that. And then we learn, we learn a lot. You have to learn very quickly in this world that we in right now, things move so quickly that you have to pick up the information to be able to process it on the go. So just being around so many arts, wpnoors, our friends and things of that nature, and we established strong relationships so like you know, even you know, we could have just probably did a stock show ourselves, but it's like that's a lot of work. So it makes sense for us to partner with Ian where he obviously does this all the time, like you know what I mean, this is what he does. So now it's less work as far as for us just making a whole nother show just by ourself. But we just we're still a part of it. So that's a strategic alliance. And a lot of times, you know, people look at like they want to do everything themselves. They want me to start everything, they want everything. Like you know what I'm saying, You're only gonna go so far that by yourself, No matter what, you're only going to go so far by yourself. You go a lot further with a team, and you go a lot further by helping people too. That's you know, we try to even with the podcast net Worry, that's us helping people.
Speaker 2: The only person that.
Speaker 7: Had a podcast already was Dave Shan's shout out to him, but you know, ash Cash, he wanted to come because he's like he sees the value, you know, Like you know what I'm saying, he didn't have a podcast.
Speaker 6: I was the first one. I was like, hey, uh, before y'all take off from sex. I've never like, hey, man, before you get busy.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 7: I think that's important for entrepreneurs to keep in mind that the more people It sounds cliche, but it's true, the more people that you help, uh, the further that you will go.
Speaker 3: That was the message that really hit me when y'all were celebrating what was did y'all get number one of business? Wait? Number one of all podcasts?
Speaker 2: Y'allhad business Business Business podcast?
Speaker 1: Yeah, knocked that that other guy d R. I don't believe we don't even know him around here.
Speaker 4: I don't know that right.
Speaker 1: Yes, he's not our favor over here. He's so just yeah. So but that was.
Speaker 3: But but what you said real quick, what you said during your IG live that night, which I was tuning into, is exactly that. It was. You had your friends on and you were talking about how we didn't do this alone. And it struck me because I was talking to a fellow podcaster and she and I was telling her because Tiff and I have signed with a new network shout out to Westwood One in February, and that was a big step for us. And I remember telling her that we were signing with a network, and the vibe was very much, oh, you sold out. I want to keep doing this. I just really want to own everything. And I was like, yeah, we've done that. And I would also like some help now. Yeah, I didn't take maternity leave hardly at all, when you know, when we did the show, and Tiff and I have just been grinding. But yeah, I would love to talk a little bit more about that. So what do you think you have gained, like you know, specifically from those partnerships. Is it is it the amplification of exposure?
Speaker 5: Is it?
Speaker 3: Is it just bigger dollars because now you have more minutes of podcasting that you can sell ads on. Like how does the how does that translate into what people really want to know? Like money and revenue and all that.
Speaker 7: I mean for us, more so than our business model is a little different than most podcasts because most podcasts they make the majority of their money off of ads and things of that nature where you know, adds and more like supplement income. For us, we have different like programs, products and different things of that nature. How we you know, we we attain revenue. So for us, you know, brand exposure, you know, and adding value. Once again, it might sound corny, but it's true. I feel like the more value that we can add, the more valuable we become. So you know, everything is not about you know, just making money up front and then there's always there's always money on the back end.
Speaker 2: That with a big, big payday come.
Speaker 7: But for us, to be completely honest with you about it, we're not making a bunch of money off of our podcast network. Our podcast network was to grow our brand, to add more value, to grow exposure, and to really build those relationships with people because we feel like, all right, now, if we do have a strong four or five shows, now that's that's something that's valuable down the line. And you know how that comes to fruition is still to be determined. But it's like, if you never try something, you never know. What I'm saying, you never know.
Speaker 4: I think that's one of the biggest things with it, is like there is no fear of any type of failure. Failure never comes into our mind. We're just like, we want to do something that can help creatives expand their brand. Let's do it. We want to see everybody win. And it's kind of where when we come into spaces and people are like, wait, y'all don't really want anything else, like, nah, we just want to see you win. You win, we win, you know what I mean. And when we talk about community, that's what we're building a community. I know. Somebody told us, like a schools only as good as ass students that graduate from it, right, And so when we look at it, if ash cast does well, then the next person who wants to start our podcast is like, that's the place to go, right, And if Dave Shan does well, that you know what I mean, Market Monday's is doing well. We become the place to go, and everything that we do is to support each other. Right, So, like the goal is to like build a brand, help everybody else who's trying to build theirs. Expertite that because we've been through it for two years. We hit number one, so we know what it takes. We're going to you're gonna you're not gonna make the mistakes because we're going to give you the game. Right. We become mentors in that sense. So yeah, I mean we saw a brand build, non podcasts, and then a big payday game. Right, So when I was like, Yo, we're not talking about upfront money, we're talking about the long game.
Speaker 1: Yes, please let's talk that long Because as someone when I started a budgetista, everybody was like, I don't get it. So these things are free? Yes, so you do all these lives for free?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 1: So you do all this like nobody could like wrap their mind around why. Well, because my intention, just like any teacher's intention, was to teach, to transform, to make my community better. And I understand I didn't know I was gonna make money. I was like, you know, I mean I did speaking engagements here and there, the supplement, but I wasn't really sure about how I was gonna monetize. But I knew that if you build something great, you can and now I will. And I told you, guys, I think this before because when I first came on Earned your Leisure, we had like I felt like, the real talk was after we hung up and I told you, I was like, please, like, you will get to a space and a place because of the way you're building that. The money is the easy part, yez. You know, like it took me probably five or six years, you know, but now I can do something and I've done this and make seven figures in a weekend, so I don't worry about like, you know, But that's when you build the way you're building. You're building this solid foundation, you're building off of network, you're building off of making sure that everyone is good. That the money will will be like the you'll be able to flip a switch. I was telling my sister Tracy, my publicist, Ian's.
Speaker 4: I feel fresh pricks.
Speaker 1: Because she's building her business and I was telling her, She's like, oh, it's so much. I was like, yo, sis, honestly, you will get to a point where you realize you are the bank. At any moment, I could tap into myself and make money, produce, you know, like, so not to worry so much about that part if you're willing to do the work. But I guess my question is, and this is a question that I get and I still struggle with the answer, is what's the desired outcome? Like what do you like? I would love to hear from youw Ian Troy Rashad, like, how do you where do you see this going? Today? I had a meeting with my business coach shout out design. I've got several culches, but he's like my executive business coach, and he said, just so you know, you're sitting on a billion dollar business and design is not wanted to just be blowing smoke up yet behind And that was just like yeah, He's like, no, I have speak spoken to the SEO guy behind Voldemort and he helped him grow to four hundred and fifty million dollars a year, and he was looking at your stuff and was like, oh, easy, we could we could get her there. And I was like what so, But it depends on what is it that I'm wanting. So my question for you is like what is it? You know, like, what's the big mission five years, ten years from now? What would you love to see?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean for us, there's a few different things that we're working on. You know, we have an education platform. I mean, the world is running by education and media if you really think about it, you know, we're controlled by media what we see, and we're forced to learn education and something that's not even optional, like if you don't go to school as a kid, you can get arrested. Truancy cops. They have cops like just to make sure kids go to school. Before COVID. Now COVID everything changed. But so I say that to say that's like really really the most important parts of life. So we have an educational platform called Eyo University. And with Eyo University, we really just like kind of made that it's not like specific. It's not a real estate school, it's not a stock school. It's everything. Everything. Every single week is different classes, it's a book club, it's a movie club, it's a real estate course. Inside of it, we have investment conversations, all kinds of stuff. So we really wanted to give like every single thing that you can really you know, need as far as personal finance investing and grow that. So now that community has well over like nine thousand people something like that. So we want to make that like a Phoenix University, like bigger than Phoenix Niversity and make that you know, rival any any university out there, and make it you know, a huge, huge, huge platform over one hundred thousand students with graduations and all and stuff like that. You know, so that's something that we are really excited about. We want to continue to grow that. And of course the media side, you know, for Early Lesion, look at Early Leasion as a podcast.
Speaker 2: You know, we have a podcast.
Speaker 7: Network, but even bigger than that, we're a media company, so you know, we want to keep growing as a media company, produce other shows, and you know, have strategic alliances and things of that nature. So now we have a corporate for our media division, we have you know, our educational division, and then of course there's a bunch of other ancillary stuff.
Speaker 2: We just got you know, a truck.
Speaker 3: Do you tuck.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're wrapped on like what's the name truck, like.
Speaker 2: A freight truck.
Speaker 7: Yeah, So you know, stuff like that, you know, it just comes up randomly, so yeah, the other side, businesses, opportunities, things to that nature. But yeah, those are those are like the also on the immediate vision board for us. We don't really have a goal to be like the top podcast or something. I mean, that's cool, but they do.
Speaker 1: Well you already did it anyway, so it's done.
Speaker 6: That's like what Jordan won the third ring here, like oh yeah, it means it's.
Speaker 1: It's like you know, like I used to say, like I want to go into Target. You get to go to Target one day and you see like I don't know a mug and it says like budget needs to approved. Like I want to reach that level of like when you put your name on something and moves mountains, you know, because people have come to trust you that much. But I just was wondering for you, like what does that look like? What's that kind of like pie in the sky.
Speaker 7: And before I'm gonna let me in because I'm sure he has a crazy vision for what he has going on. But I want I want entrepreneurs to be valued the same way as sports and entertainment things. That's about something that I think is very very obtainable, and that's something that not just for celebrity status. But I think it's important because, especially in our culture, I never forget. We was talking to somebody that was extremely high up in the music business and he was saying that, you know, he used to work at a major, major record label, and he was saying that he doesn't let his kids listen to round. He's black, he doesn't let his kids listen to rap, and he used to work at a record label. So like, why don't you let your kids listen to rap? He was like, because, like, you know, white kids, the kids listening to rap, they know it's entertainment, like they listen to little fill in the blank.
Speaker 2: But they it's.
Speaker 7: And they want to do for you know, medical school, and then when they graduate, and it's like, you know, that's just a fat, just a moment in their life.
Speaker 2: Black kids is listening to.
Speaker 7: That, and they think it's a career option, a viable career option, and it's.
Speaker 2: Hurting a lot of people. It's hurt a lot of people.
Speaker 7: So it's helped a lot of people too, but it's also hurt a lot of people because there's only so many people that can become professional athletes or professional rappers, but anybody can become an investor, stock trader, real estate agent or whatever like you know. So I feel like it's important for us to champion that. And it's also unproportional, Like Rolling Stone is big before us, it is also big, you know, Like you know, Donald Trump was a celebrity, no matter how you feel about him, he was a celebrity our Cuban and celebrity. Like, where's our celebrity entrepreneurs? That has nothing to do with sports entertainment. It's not really there.
Speaker 3: I think we're looking at them, I don't know.
Speaker 7: So that's on the vision board too, to kind of push that wave to the point where now we have more than just sports and entertainment.
Speaker 4: Yea, I'm gonna take thirty seconds because I know you're going to go. So one of the other things is that we come across a lot of businesses. And we just had this conversation last week about you know what, becoming a holding company for a lot of businesses, right, because if you look at Shark Tanking, it's very similar to what we're doing. People are coming in, they're telling us our businesses, and we'd be foolish not to take advantage of saying, you know what, let's invest in this and eventually potentially you know, taking out our company public. That's something that it crossed my mind with the past mother, like when have we ever seen that? How many people that we know that look like us have done that and you can actually talk to them? And so that's something that is heavy on my mind right now, and I know it's on shots as well. It's something that we're looking definitely to doing in the future.
Speaker 2: EYL private equity.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what about you, what's your what's your big goal.
Speaker 5: Over the next five years to help two billion people? Whether you.
Speaker 6: Think about it like this, when you wake up or go to bed, you're either thinking about how to make money or how to retain it. Number one reason people get divorced fellows.
Speaker 5: I'm sorry.
Speaker 6: If you're cute, great, but my grandmother used to tell me there's no romance for not finance. Baby, you're cute, but you gotta get some money, It's true. And then also how to keep that's a big thing. So even with what they're building at the network, I know, if I can get them to trust on the investment in then how to be disciplined, they'll listen to a relationship mental health because the money is just one part the thing we were talking about. Like even on Satday, I'm like, I just want peace. So for like me, I have like my golden rules. I'm like, don't interrupt me when I'm Mozander, my family and friends. Time is off, Like I don't care what the if I'm Wlexander. That's my too, because I know there's going to be a time where he doesn't want to be around me. He's going to even now he's six and he's like on Easter, he's like, Dad, you can't kiss me.
Speaker 5: It's inappropriate. I'm like, I'm your dad.
Speaker 2: What do you mean?
Speaker 5: So I'm like at nine, I'm like I.
Speaker 6: Can't even go with you to the park at that point. So I'm like, I want to have all those moments. But let's be honest, like corporate was designed to take us away from our family and control our time so we wouldn't have time to think about how to build our own thing. Not anti corporate, I'm not anti school, but even the way people are taught to communicate it is a non.
Speaker 5: Wealth based strategy.
Speaker 6: So I would just want to help as many people as possible because let's be honest. Like COVID exposed the way that we work wrong, the way that we picked our relationships wrong, because a lot of people decided, Hey, John, who I'm with now, John Henry, kudos to my guy. But John that I'm with, I don't like him as much because now that I'm spending five hours a day with him, I don't like him as much. And then we need more time with our kids, more times with our friends and family. So that same thing that Rashad was saying, and me being around my dad and having that kind of freedom. You know, I know Dame Dash gets beat up for how he delivers, but my dad was like that, and so was my granddad because he was in the military. My dad was like, your number one goal has to be freedom. Everything else is an illusion. If you have a bunch of time and no money, what difference does it make. So that's my goals to be able to help structure that and help people to get better returns in the market.
Speaker 3: So it's interesting that leisure is in the title of the show. I don't feel like y'all know how to take us like. It sounds like y'all work real.
Speaker 4: Hard alcoholics, But how do.
Speaker 2: I feel like? I feel like?
Speaker 7: You know, I'm a very appreciative person as far as like little things in life, like just being able to wake up whenever you want, you know, that's a blessing. And it's like, you know, we you know, I was with my son yesterday and eat in scallops and lobster. You know, we really blessed to be able to eat scallops and lobsters and clans and things of that nature. We really are like little things like that. For me, that's that's leisure because I know people that are starving and some people you know, have to wake up at four point thirty in the morning and they work until you know, one am. So for me to be able to wake up whenever I want, go to sleep whenever I want, travel whenever I want, you know what I mean. Like that thing, little things like that, they don't get lost on me. And sometimes it's just like we have to be appreciative of the things that we have because you know, we work so much and we compare all live to somebody else, and it's like, all right, of course, it would be great to you know, buy island and do all of these things. But you know, coming from like I said, working class environments where you see people that you know, work their whole life for they have fifty thousand dollars and trying to work it out, trying to figure out what they're going to do.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 7: So to be able to have a level of financial freedom and to be able to provide for your family, we earned that, you know, that's earned.
Speaker 2: That's earning your leisure.
Speaker 4: That's right there. I mean what he said is one thousand percent trough. For sixteen years, that was me waking up, going to school, doing the same thing, being stubborn about, you know, my financial freedom. And I tell it now because obviously I have a bunch of colleagues who's still practicing in education, still teaching, especially in COVID, which is extremely difficult. I told him I wouldn't trade this for anything. The amount of leisure that I have now, the ability to wake up and take my kids to school, it's something that I never was able to do, you know, being able to make parent teacher conferences now, it's something I never was able to do, picking them up from school, you know what I mean, being super involved. It's just like these little things that you miss out on that I wouldn't have been able to do it had I not earned it this time. So the money is great. The ability to have some of these luxuries, I call them luxuries because not every parent is able to do that. It's incredible. And my wife as well, Like you know, to see her be really frustrated at work and into one day say look, you don't have to go back tomorrow.
Speaker 6: That's to say, baby, don't. Can we be honest? Look at our grandparents. My grandad was in the military. When my grandmother moved from Midway, Alabama to Chicago, Indiana, she had to sell pop bottles and cold angers to make money.
Speaker 5: What we're doing is not hard. We're not making steel.
Speaker 6: Like my family that worked in the steel mill still there today, the stuff that they go to work in the sixteen hour shift. But I took that blue collar mid West to work ethic and just applied it to white collar stuff.
Speaker 8: How hard is it to hop on live and talk We like this is like barbershopping beauty songs. Talk like we're getting paid and getting the chance to influence like so, but even like watching them and learning, like even with he told me, like.
Speaker 5: Bro, you got to relax and travel like COVID.
Speaker 2: I wasn't.
Speaker 5: I'm like, I'm not getting the virus. I was doctor Faci. I got the mask on in the house.
Speaker 6: I'm not going anywhere. It's not like, bro, you gotta travel like I want to go in the house. It's a balance of everything. But to have the time to be able to spend. I've been entrepreneurs wis. I was in college so before it was popular, and then even when you were like because in four or five it was like your entrepreneur can't get a job.
Speaker 5: Nothing.
Speaker 6: That was a perception, but the world kind of caught up O seven. Then once again, what we're doing is now hard. It does take a lot of effort. But what I will say about what I think about their growth outside looking in, because I was a fan of them first, the work ethic is insane, Like Allison, a message wouldn't get a reply. And then I met them and I was like, oh, I see why, and I'm a workhorse. There's never a time that I talked to them there. I'm like, hey, what y'all do I'm in Miami. I'm like, I know y'all getting up with calid Or.
Speaker 5: I said on the show, like we do best coming.
Speaker 6: I know them Rashad's like me too, Rashad luck because we that authoritarian things. Whenever someone tells us we can't do something, it's like does this you're in trouble.
Speaker 5: It's like that that next chess move is coming right.
Speaker 3: Y'all are proof positive of that expression. You know, you're the average of like the five people you spend the most time with. I was telling my cousin that, I'm like, you need to really be picky quality over quantity. You spend the most time your time with.
Speaker 1: So because they normalized excellence, or they normalized mediocrity, or they normalized failure, like yeah, you know, I'm like, no, I don't know. I was doing something until I spoke to don't well, I don't know if you can put her financial business out there so I won't say her name, and she was like, yeah, I'm trying to make fifty million this year.
Speaker 5: I was like, what those conversations are different when yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Was like say what, while I was like no, sir, you know, we crossed over ten and she was like oh this. I was like that's cute. And I was like, can we talk every week? What you doing on Thursdays?
Speaker 6: The first time I heard that you needed sixty months of revenue to be safe, and you need a minimum twenty eight streams of revenue.
Speaker 5: I was like what he was like, get there?
Speaker 6: But he opened his phone, hopped and chased and showed me and this business and personal it blew my mind might.
Speaker 1: Like this yes, yes, and it expands and a lot of them look like you and so. And what I love is that That's why in your shows me that they look like me and they sound like like my husband because he was born and raised in projects like you know, brick City for life. But I love the fact that he can look and be like oh, because he's like what are you listening to? Because you know the rest of the stuff, he's like want want, want want, But he was like, oh, okay, I could do that, and I'm just like, yeah, five more years we need that insurance. So but I love that because it never would have appealed to someone like him, you know. But he's just like, yo, they sound like me, they look like me, like this is possible, this is doable. And to see him translate that for his boys, because like, I'll talk to my friends, but his boys don't listen to me, you know. So to see him like, nah, yo, because you guys said something before. He was like I heard him tell his best friend, Nah, Wally, yo, you gotta let your assets pay for your assets. I was like, Oh, where do you get that from? He was like, I don't know that show you be having me listen to me. I just thought that was so dope because you know New Jersey drive like Newark used to be. That was him forty years old, like just like stealing cars.
Speaker 9: I'm like, just literally used to go to school and then on Fridays he said, we didn't steal cars during the week because we had to go to school, but on the weekend it was on.
Speaker 1: We were like local celebrities. Like the old people were bringing their tears downstairs and just watch us. Like through Newark zip zip and jar. We would cut gates to know, like okay, if we do get caught, we could slip through this gate. So to hear him tell his wild stories, to see him this forty year old man who was like, you know, working on our investment property, talking to our investment like our certified planner about like our like our stocks and things, and yeah, you just I just thank you guys for what you're doing because I don't know that these men out here that need to hear it, but it's not gonna be for me that they're gonna like it's gonna land or certainly not from everybody else that's out there. They have this opportunity to hear it from y'all and being like, if they can do it, so can I.
Speaker 4: So we just thank you for that, and they should look, we definitely listen to you.
Speaker 3: I'm kind of sitting here like yeah, yeah, but also they need to listen. They let's normalize listening to Tiffany some toxic masculinity I'm sensing here, but you know, we'll get we'll get there. But thank y'all so much for sharing your positive energy and your passion with us because it means a lot. And congratulations on all the success we wish. I mean, I wish nothing, but I want to see y'all.
Speaker 2: I want to see Tip.
Speaker 3: I'm just going to come in the back. I'm just gonna be in the window of your house next time you're on Today Show, just anytime of the day, just pop up on sw should be on some TV network.
Speaker 1: I can promise, but I am going to be on Today's Show on Wednesday when this comes out, and if you know, keep it concise with you know, that's not my thing. But what I think they asked me was one of my favorite podcasts. And let's just say, you know, two of them are right here. Literally just text to producer like, no, this is the this is the picture. This is the picture to you, so we'll see if you know, because you know how it is a TV shows. I believe in that too, that you know, like as you go you bring along and so you know that's critically important. But yeah, this is this has been awesome. I think our audience is going to be like, yeah, so where can people find you? What's your social media handles? What what products and services do you have out how they can how can they continue to connect?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 7: For sure, and thank you again for having us, both of you guys. Thank you for your advocacy and the work that you do.
Speaker 2: Earn A. Lisia.
Speaker 7: You can find us on all social media platforms, YouTube, Earnalisia dot com. Yeah, earn Alesia podcast. Also Market Mondays, which is a live show on YouTube at eight o'clock easton Standard time every Monday. Also it's on you know, the playback is on YouTube and also the playback is also on podcast networks in ey l University, that's our educational platform which has over one hundred webinars, real estate Investment course, monthly financial Planning, calls, a bunch of stuff. So all that information is on e y l University dot com. But the mothership is Earning your Leisure dot com. And once again, thank you for having us. We appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much. This was a dream.
Speaker 1: When we're I where can they find you?
Speaker 6: Instagram? Uh, my tag is the master Investor. You can find me my name Ian. Don't lamp on any of the social and then join red Panda dot com is my site if you want to join the stock club.
Speaker 5: That's my primary product.
Speaker 6: I tell you where to get in, where to get out, what companies are good, what companies are bad.
Speaker 5: So tiya if you need some help.
Speaker 3: My cousins are like, stop, get your other names out of your mouth on that.
Speaker 1: Because my girlfriend text me, She's like, Tiffany, is anybody single ready to mingle? Because you know we have all the ladies on here. I'm like, I know, I know, Troy, you are taking.
Speaker 4: I'm taking Hey, don't kill me, don't.
Speaker 1: I mean like Loki. We know they all asking about her.
Speaker 3: We just talked about hypergamy, any hypergamas.
Speaker 1: Listen, Yeah, are you single? Ready to mingle or is this to be mad if?
Speaker 2: No, No, I'm single single?
Speaker 1: Okay, well don't hey those are his DM don't ask me no other questions everybody.
Speaker 2: I can't believe.
Speaker 1: I got like play. I got little like ten DMS was like, you have an earn your leisure, no money questions, not know nothing. I know I take. I'm like, oh my god, this is a question. You can get your whole financial life.
Speaker 2: Listen.
Speaker 6: One time I thought Troy said uh hello to my wives and said I was like, bro, this when.
Speaker 5: You get offset.
Speaker 4: You know, when I went upstairs, my wife was like your wives really, I'm.
Speaker 5: Like, there won't be another show ever.
Speaker 4: When you see us in Greenberg, you know you can act like you know, it's okay.
Speaker 3: When I see them, I'm jumping this. Just look, it'll be the hair first to see in the glass all the time. No, but no, we definitely should chat because whenever COVID is over, it would be great to meet up and talk about g Burke. I want to see that project that Troy you had a project you said something about Greenberg history.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's it's a very enlightening information that you will learn about a town and how it was built and how it was designed and redlining and all that I had. I actually had fourteen and fifteen year olds do it and what they found was pretty interesting.
Speaker 5: I like it.
Speaker 4: I would love to talk to you about it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I'm my day job. I'm chief consumer advocate for Ally Financial, so I'll definitely keep y'all in mind if I because we're I just started a couple of months ago. But Tiff notes, I'm looking for all the ways that I can spend their money influencers. So yeah, I can't wait to meet you guys, hopefully one day in person. But thank you so much and Ian, thanks for joining. That was a bonus.
Speaker 1: Yes, it was.
Speaker 6: I'm honor too. I'm happy to be here. And thanks to the guys for inviting me. My shot, I'm gonna pray for you. Yeah, they hit me too.
Speaker 3: Let's so what you got like, it's a photo of my brother if he's in the background, BA, listeners are all over.
Speaker 1: Her brother looks exactly like Drake, Exactly like Drake.
Speaker 3: I know, but it's so annoying but that you're thirsty, so.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and it's the pandemonium, the pandemonium.
Speaker 4: We appreciate you all,