Speaker 1: You're listening to Comedy Central.
Speaker 2: From the most trusted journalist at Comedy Central.
Speaker 1: It's America's only sorts produce.
Speaker 3: This is the Daily Show with your host John Steward.
Speaker 1: Hi, everybody, welcome.
Speaker 4: Thank you please, I love I gotta tell you something. These folks who are work here at the Daily Show A mega me. Look, Zaddy, I'm sorry, Welcome to the Daily Show. I'm your host, John Stewart, captain of this dying medium.
Speaker 1: Did you even say that today? A gentleman?
Speaker 4: Tell me tonight he said, Oh, I'm so happy to be here. You know your television is dying. I said, I am aware, and in fact I'm contributing to it.
Speaker 1: You're welcome.
Speaker 4: I did have such a good time last week doing the program, and then everybody Comedy Center was like, oh, what are you going to do this week? And I was like, wait, this week I did already. I did a Monday. What am I a cyborg?
Speaker 3: Come on?
Speaker 4: But I don't mind because, quite frankly, the response to the first show last Monday was.
Speaker 1: Universally glowing.
Speaker 5: John Stewart is facing massive backlash from Democrats over his comments about Joe Biden. Oberman tweeted, well, after nine years away. There's nothing else to say to the both side is fraud John Stuart fashion Biden, except please make it another nine years. Christy Jackson tweeted, sorry, but I won't be watching you either.
Speaker 4: Okay, maybe not universal. Well that was on Twitter. Everything on Twitter gets a backlash. I've seen Twitter tellabordoodles to go for themselves aperdoodles. I just think it's better to deal head on with what's an apparent issue to people.
Speaker 1: I mean, we we're just talking here. And Mary Trump tweeting, not only is Stuart's both sides are the same. Rhetoric not funny. It's a potential disaster for democracy.
Speaker 3: Joe, it was just one Joe.
Speaker 1: It's twenty minutes.
Speaker 4: I did twenty minutes of one Joe. But I guess, as the famous saying goes, democracy dies in discussion.
Speaker 1: But look, I have seen against you. I'm sorry.
Speaker 4: It was never my intention to say out loud what I saw with my eyes and then brain, I can do better.
Speaker 1: I can have learning. I can have it, but I don't even know where to start with that.
Speaker 4: Where do I go to study the particulars of unquestioning propaganda? I would need mentorship, We're in Moscow tonight.
Speaker 6: We're here to interview the President of Russia, Vladimir Putin.
Speaker 1: Saints be praised.
Speaker 4: For Professor to Tucker, Aloisious Mayflower, Tenny bumps port, Backgammon.
Speaker 1: Carlson the third has arrived.
Speaker 4: Professor, Tell me what is step one in delivering world class fealty to power.
Speaker 6: Here's why we're doing it first, because it's our job.
Speaker 1: We're in journalism. Lie about what your job is. We're in journalism. Our duty is to inform people. Lie about what your duty.
Speaker 3: Is.
Speaker 6: Americans have a right to know all they can about a war. They're implicated in Freedom to speech is our birthright.
Speaker 1: We were born with the right to say what we believe. Oh shit, who knows? Sensey, that was deep. I have much to learn.
Speaker 4: Disguise your deception and capitulation to power as noble and moral and based in freedom.
Speaker 3: Yes, massed.
Speaker 1: Just out of curiosity as a student.
Speaker 4: When you're sitting there interviewing Putin and you don't plan to challenge his utter bullshit, but you don't want to really be that obvious.
Speaker 1: What do you do with your face? Oh? I see, okay.
Speaker 4: So it's not really a straight face, as much as you try to convey a mixture of what appears to be shame arousal and I'm going to say irregularity, for instance, like you're constipated while jerking off to a serious catalog.
Speaker 1: Been there, we die up there? Well, the lingerie ads were.
Speaker 4: Now obviously the Tucker strategy is going to work when there's some ambiguity in.
Speaker 1: What Putin says.
Speaker 4: But what if Putin starts saying shit like World War II was Poland's fault because they forced Hitler to invade them.
Speaker 1: I mean, what do you do with something like that?
Speaker 7: They'll give me hard After World War well, this territory was transferred to Poland, and instead of Danzig, a city of Dunsk emerged. Mister Hitler asked them to give it Anneka lead, but they refused.
Speaker 1: Of course.
Speaker 4: Of course, you know, it's so hard to do when your face says what the fuck and your mouth says, of course, it's it's.
Speaker 1: So hard to how do you? All right? How do you do that? By the way, Poland started World War Two?
Speaker 4: Why would a country whose navy has submarines with screen doors.
Speaker 1: Want to instigate a war? Quick history lessons years ago?
Speaker 4: For reasons nobody is really sure of A stereotype emerged that Polish people were inept in various ways, including obviously submarine manufacturing and.
Speaker 1: Even something as simple as the changing of a light bulb.
Speaker 4: I don't know actually how many Polish people you think it takes to change a light bulb, but it's certainly less than the conventional wisdom at that time would tell you. Now we know that Polish people are as smart as anyone, and certainly did not deserve to be invaded by the Germans, who, of course accomplished that by marching in backwards.
Speaker 1: So the polls thought they were leaving.
Speaker 8: Well, I like to give you a little bit of dumb.
Speaker 4: Well, this has been an incredible primmer into the delegate dance of speaking, of course to power tummy Tucker, does this masterclass include field trips?
Speaker 1: How does Russia have a subway station?
Speaker 9: The normal people used to get to work at home every single day. That's nicer than anything in our country. There's no graffiti, there's no filth, no foul smells.
Speaker 1: That's a nice subway. That's a very.
Speaker 4: Although to be fair to the New York City system, it was constructed in nineteen oh four out of urinalcakes.
Speaker 1: By the great engineer Josette, piss everywhere.
Speaker 4: Before taking It's a very nice subway, But the subway, that's only one thing.
Speaker 9: So we thought it'd be interesting to take a look at a contemporary modern day twenty twenty four Russian grocery store.
Speaker 1: Go on, all right, here we go.
Speaker 6: So I guess you put in ten roubles here and you get it back when you put the card back. So it's free, but there's an incentive to return it and not just bring it to your homeless en Camra, I know.
Speaker 1: I've said this before. You're such a dick.
Speaker 3: I really truly a dick.
Speaker 4: I didn't realize America's homeless problem is caused entirely by easy access to grocery card. I had on my top of my house, but I don't know that you put it on wheels.
Speaker 1: It's so much.
Speaker 6: This is the uh, grocery card escalator.
Speaker 1: This is designed.
Speaker 10: I'm figuring this out now.
Speaker 6: Where the wheels don't move, they lock on the grocery card escalator.
Speaker 1: Look mad, no hands? Oh oh okay, okay, forrest.
Speaker 4: An escalator for the grocery cart and the doors open automatically.
Speaker 1: Oh marvel Russia, and Russia is famous for its bread.
Speaker 6: There's one thing I could assess pretty well.
Speaker 10: Look at that.
Speaker 1: It's fresh too, Look at that. Come on, yeah, this guy really likes bread.
Speaker 4: I hate to think what would have happened if he had found a bagel. But hey, if being a free speech warrior means you have to bang the occasional sour doughtah, but our time is limited, could you drive home the purpose of your deception on this trip in the most cynical way possible.
Speaker 1: Please.
Speaker 9: We didn't pay any attention to cost, as we were just putting in the car where we would actually eat over a week, and we all came in around four hundred bucks.
Speaker 1: About four hundred bucks.
Speaker 9: It was one hundred and four dollars US here and coming to a Russian grocery store the heart of evil and seeing what things cost and how people live.
Speaker 1: It will radicalize you against our readers. That's how I feel anyway.
Speaker 4: Radicalized, radicalized, and it will radicalize you unless you understand basic economics.
Speaker 1: See one hundred and four dollars for groceries.
Speaker 4: Sounds like a great bargain unless you realize Russians earn less than two hundred dollars a week.
Speaker 1: But that's the kind of context that a what did you call yourself? Earlier?
Speaker 4: A journalist would have provided. But here's the reality. You know all this because you aren't as dumb as your face would have us believe. Perhaps if your handlers had allowed, you would have seen there is a hidden fee to your cheap groceries and orderly streets. Ask Alexi Navalni or any of his supporters.
Speaker 10: The Vladimir Putin's Russia political repression is everywhere, and hundreds have been arrested.
Speaker 1: For daring to honor Navalny so publicly.
Speaker 4: Right, because the difference between our urinal, caked, chaotic subways and your candelabra beautiful subways is the literal price of freedom.
Speaker 1: But the goal that Carlson and his.
Speaker 4: Ilk are pushing is that there's really no difference between our systems.
Speaker 1: In fact, theirs might be a little bit better. The question is why why is Tucker doing this? Here's why.
Speaker 4: It's because the old civilizational battle was communism versus capitalism. That what drove the world since World War II. Russia was the enemy then, but now they think the battle is woke versus unwoke, and in that fight. Putin is an ally to the right, he's their friend. Unfortunately, he is also a brutal and ruthless dictator, so now they have to make Americans a little more comfortable with that. I mean, liberty is nice, but have you seen Russia's shopping carts? And Tucker would have gotten away with it if it weren't for those meddling assassins.
Speaker 11: In a statement to The New York Times, Carlson said, quote, it is horrifying what happened to Mavalney.
Speaker 10: The whole thing is barbaric and awful.
Speaker 1: No decent person would defend it correct, No decent person would. For more, please.
Speaker 4: Enjoy your CD For more on Tucker Carlton's interview with Hulton, we turned to our.
Speaker 1: Own Michael Costa.
Speaker 4: Michael Help, Michael Hurtabar. What an unbelievably embarrassing display of sycophancy from Tucker Carlson.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I'm not sure what.
Speaker 2: That means, John, So I'm gonna assume you loved it as much as I did. It made me think that these dictatorships have gotten a bad rap, which is why I've traveled here to North Korea.
Speaker 1: And as you can see, it's amazing. It looks like you're in a candy store.
Speaker 2: Well I am, but this is what the entire country looks like. I'm told it's a paradise of chocolate bars and sugar canes. I mean, John, check this out. This bucket of gummy here in Pyongyang. It costs a nickel. Do you don't have any idea how much this would cost me in the so called United States.
Speaker 1: I don't like twenty bucks, I guess, is it?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah?
Speaker 2: And who can afford that besides capitalistic American pedophiles.
Speaker 1: Okay, and just.
Speaker 2: Look at the technology they have here, John, check out this amazing contraption you.
Speaker 1: Put Okay, you put a quarter and look what comes out? A gumball.
Speaker 2: Oh death to America.
Speaker 1: John. You need to come home, Michael.
Speaker 2: Well, I'd like to, John, but unfortunately I renounced my citizenship in exchange for these gummy worms. Now, look, they made them sour on the outside and on the inside they're sweet. And until America comes up with that, all right, how do we say good by in our language?
Speaker 1: Michael Costa?
Speaker 4: Everybody when we come back wanting to marry, and Kate Shaw will be joining me.
Speaker 3: Don't go away.
Speaker 1: Hi, everybody love do the Dary Show My guests tonight. Oh, I love them so much.
Speaker 4: They're law professors and constitutional experts, elitist who co hosts a podcast about the Supreme Court called Strict Scrutiny. Please welcome to the program.
Speaker 12: Melissa Murray and Kate Shaw play.
Speaker 3: Now, let me first a reading a pall.
Speaker 4: So you have a third Leah Littman, who couldn't be here because of the delicate configurations of our desk. We would have loved to have Leah be here as well, but she's in California, and so I didn't want to let that pass.
Speaker 1: I want to start with you, guys. This is a simple question.
Speaker 4: John Oliver has offered Clarence Thomas a Winnebago and a million dollars a year two and this is his words, not mine, get them off the Supreme Court. Will in your court watchers, your experts on the Super Court, will he accept this offer?
Speaker 11: I think this is a Harlan Crowe counter offer opportunity.
Speaker 4: You believe that his benefactor is going to have to counter But what do you counter with? It's a beautiful Winnebago and a million dollars year. Is there anything else to life, not.
Speaker 11: If you enjoy spending time in the parking lots of Walmart, as Justice Thomas.
Speaker 1: Wanted to do.
Speaker 4: He says he does, but apparently he likes to quail hunt in a robe. I want to ask you, there's a strategy that's starting to bubble up, which is getting Americans comfortable with authoritarianism and getting us to not think critically about the differences between a free society and not a free society. And in that regard, they are starting to paint Trump as Navalny, that the trials that he is facing in America are similar or the same as what Putin did to Navalney. Please explain to me why that's horseshit.
Speaker 11: Well, we are not experts in Russian criminal procedure, but I think it's safe to say that Donald Trump is likely receiving more procedural protections right now in the four criminal indictments that he's currently subject to than Alexei Navalny had in his time in Russia. So I think this is not the same situation.
Speaker 4: Would you say that Donald Trump was actually received duer process than most people in America? I mean, this guy is clearly on the platinum do process plan, the Harland pro plan. He's getting every the duist of process, the newest pross.
Speaker 1: So how is this even comparable. It's not at all comparable.
Speaker 13: And I do think it is interesting, as your last segment made clear that Trump is adverting to the situation in Russia right now and invoking Navolney, and I think that it's right to draw comparisons right now. But of course the casting is all wrong right now. In the arguments that Trump is making in some of the pending criminal cases against him, he is essentially casting himself as above and beyond the law. And you know, we're essentially seeing what he.
Speaker 4: State presidents should have complete and total immunity, because if you can't kill people, then what fun Well, this was actually.
Speaker 13: A hypothetical that came up in the lower federal court argument in this immunity case. Trump's lawyer was asked, so, you're saying that a president could order Seal Team six to assassinate a political rival and the criminal law couldn't get him for.
Speaker 1: That sounds familiar?
Speaker 13: Well, it was, and Trump's lawyer basically said, unless he's been impeached and convicted for the criminal.
Speaker 4: Laws by the Senate in a political process. So you have to get our criminal laws are suspended for the president. Didn't we fight a war about that?
Speaker 11: Well, we not only fought a war, but our whole constitutional structure is designed to prevent consolidations of power within the presidency exactly. And so this whole idea you've got an a in our constitutional law.
Speaker 1: Lives is John con law.
Speaker 11: But I mean what Kate is describing is essentially very authoritarian forward. I mean, the person that Donald Trump is is not Alexey Navali.
Speaker 1: It's Vladimir Putin, right, That's what he wants to be. That's who he admires.
Speaker 4: But in our judicial systems defense, in my mind, over these past few years, it was one of the few institutions in America that actually held pretty strong. And you are frowning at me, you disagree with this.
Speaker 11: Well, on our podcast we take different roles. Kate, is I think much more amenable to your position. I think I think, well, yeah, well we explain like there's something to this.
Speaker 13: I do think that there is a way in which courts really did stand as a bulwark against some of Trump's worst instincts and impulses while he was in office, and even since you know, sixty plus lawsuits he filed around the twenty twenty election, all unsuccessful. Right, he argued for different versions of immunity in civil and criminal cases. Previously those have been unsuccessful essentially throughout. But we are in a real test moment of that proposition, in that the Supreme Court is right now facing this question of whether he will ever stand trial for the January sixth events.
Speaker 4: No grant him blanket immunity. We don't have a republic anymore. We don't have a constitutional republic if the head of it has immunity. The thing I liked about what the courts did is they set a standard of evidence. Anybody can say whatever they want on a basic cables show whenever they go or at a rally or anything else, but when you bring it into a court, as Juliani famously said, no we don't have any evidence. But we got slee lots of theories and they threw them out.
Speaker 11: Okay, So that just suggests that the bar is in hell. Yes, of course, the courts are a bulwark against the most toutalitarian impulses in our society. But we forget that the court system. We have the Supreme Court we have. The debates we're having about the Supreme Court are all right now. The product of what Donald Trump did like this is a person who was not elected by the poscation saying these questions.
Speaker 4: Would have been utterly unimaginable in previews right.
Speaker 11: Now, debating whether or not in the next presidential term we are going to see a national ban on abortion. We wouldn't be having that discussion if Donald Trump's six or three conservative supermajority had not rolled back Roll versus WAD, we wouldn't have that discussion at all.
Speaker 1: For the immunity discussion or anything all of this.
Speaker 11: He has created the conditions for the way we talk about this court.
Speaker 4: And that's the thing that ultimately is at stake in all this. I want to thank you guys so much for coming on. You're fabulous. Check out their podcast, Please Strict Scrutiny. New episodes drop on Monday. It's a fine day to drop them.
Speaker 1: Melissa, Marie and Khall. We'll be right back.
Speaker 3: Everybody show for to night.
Speaker 1: Before we go, we want to check in with your host for the rest of this week, Daisi ly Do. What do you got cooking? What stories?
Speaker 14: Is the show going to be covering this well, John, We'll be following the news out of Sneaker con where Donald Trump has just debuted his snazzy golden sneakers. Nice yeah, an American treasure made in China. And not to be outdone, the Democrats have announced a new line of limited edition Joe Biden me pumps.
Speaker 4: I gotta tell you, I think he's going to look incredible in those very nice Thank you so much, DESI here it is?
Speaker 1: Was he Daisy Tomorrow, here's your moment?
Speaker 3: Is that?
Speaker 10: But because I honestly thought he was going to be aggressive and asked the so called tough questions, so frankly I did not fully enjoy the interview.
Speaker 1: Explore more shows from the Daily Show podcast universe by searching The.
Speaker 3: Daily Show wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 1: Watch The Daily Show weeknights at eleven.
Speaker 9: Ten Central on Comedy Central and stream full episodes anytime on Paramount Plus.
Speaker 1: This has been a Comedy Central podcast