Speaker 1: Good morning.
Speaker 2: I'm Nathan Hager and I'm Amy Morris. Here are the stories we're following today.
Speaker 1: First, the latest developments out of the Middle East. Israel and Hamas are signaling that a temporary ceasefire could be extended beyond today. Under the current agreement, Hamas is releasing fifty hostages in exchange for one hundred and fifty Israeli held prisoners. President Biden says he's aiming for this break in fighting to continue.
Speaker 3: Critically, nay, today is going in and hostages are coming out, and there's still structured so that it can be extended to keep building on these results. That's my goal, that's our goal, to keep this pause going beyond tomorrow.
Speaker 1: When President Biden spoke yesterday with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, who signaled an extension was possible.
Speaker 2: Meanwhile, Israel is coming under increasing pressure to agree to an extension of a four day pause in it's war with Amas. We get more from Bloomberg's Simon Marx and Tel Aviv.
Speaker 4: Israel is under some pressure to continue to slow drip releasing hostages. There is still a lot of public pressure here to get many more released, and the families and the victims of the hostage families are still very active.
Speaker 2: Bloomberg. Simon mar says, so far Hamas has handed over fifty eight hostages, including non Israelis. It is slated to free another eleven Israelis today to fulfill the four day Agreement.
Speaker 1: And in Washington, the issue of Israeli aid maybe getting more complicated. Bloomberg zed Baxter has that story.
Speaker 5: Senator Chris Murphy is saying lawmakers should consider conditioning future aid to Israel based on compliance with international humanitarian law.
Speaker 6: I think there's both a moral cost to this, many civilians, innocent civilians, children often losing their life, but I think there's a strategic cost. Ultimately, Hamas will get stronger, not weaker, in the long run if all of this civilian death allows them to recruit more effectively, enablely inside Gaza.
Speaker 5: Murphy on CNN civilian death toll must stop, ed Baxter Bloomberg Radio, Thanks D.
Speaker 2: Another complicating factor in aid to Israel and Ukraine is a dispute over security at the southern border. Republicans in Congress want to tie foreign military assistance to tougher border policies. On NBC's Meet the Press House Intelligence Chair Mike Turner said it will be tough to pass the AID before the end of this year. While the issue remains unresolved.
Speaker 1: Man Amy events in the Middle East may be forcing President Biden to skip an event he's attended the past two years. According to The New York Times, a White House official says the President will not be at the COP twenty eighth Climate summit in Dubai. The official didn't say why, but senior aids are suggesting the Israel Hamas war has consumed the president in recent weeks.
Speaker 2: Meanwhile, Elon Musk will today meet with the Israel with Israel's Prime Minister and president, as well as representatives of the families of hostages held in Gaza. The closed door meeting appears to be an effort to diffuse a growing backlash over the billionaire's endorsement of an anti Semitic tweet. While Musk has drawn support from notable figures including hedge fund manager Bill Ackman, others, including British Prime Minister Rishi Sunek, say that Tesla and SpaceX chief should not be given a pass because of who he is.
Speaker 7: I don't tend to get in the business of scrutinizing what every single person says who I've interacted with. Of course I bore anti Semitism. It doesn't matter whether you're Elil Musk or you or someone on the street who's shouting abuse that someone who happens to be walking past you. That's wrong in all its forms. Antisemitism in all its forms is completely and utterly wrong.
Speaker 2: So next careful criticism comes just weeks after the British Prime Minister had a fireside conversation with Musk at the UKAI summit.
Speaker 1: Turning to markets, amy stocks are going higher. That's the call from Deutsche Bank. The firm's strategists, including Binkie Chata, predict the S and P five hundred will rally to a record fifty one hundred by the end of next year. That's about twelve percent above current levels. Chata says stock valuations are not high and earnings are growing solidly.
Speaker 2: Meanwhile, Wall Street it returns to work with lots of economic data and plenty of earnings reports. We get a preview from Bloomberg's Charlie Pellett.
Speaker 8: Tech earnings will be in focus this week, with z Scaler and crowd Strike holdings underscoring how businesses are prioritizing cybersecurity after recent high profile corporate hacks. Among the other technology companies reporting this week Salesforce and Dell. In New York Charlie Pellette Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 1: Okay, Charlie, thanks for also keeping an eye on retailers today. Well, because it's cyber Monday. The huge online spending day comes after shoppers spend a record online on Black Friday. More on that from Bloomberg's Eddie vendor Wald.
Speaker 9: What we're seeing is that US consumers spend a record nine point one billion dollars online. That's according to Adobe Analytics. It's a record so far. But we're seeing two interesting trends. Number One, a lot of people are spending on buy now, pay later, and we are seeing them buying less luxury items with this spending. So it feels like the consumer is starting to feel the pitch and rather than going out spending big money is saying, look, this might be a good opportunity to start cutting back out of spending.
Speaker 1: Bloomberg's Eddie vander Walt says global Black Friday sales rose twenty two percent, led by clothing, personal care, and jewelry.
Speaker 2: The owner of TikTok is cutting jobs. Bye Dance plans to eliminate hundreds of positions in gaming and wind down at Showpee s brand Uverse. The closure marks by Dan's biggest retreat from a once booming gaming industry dominated by ten Cent and at smaller faux net Ease. Sources say the Chinese company intends to announce the cuts later today. Time now for a look at some of the other stories making news around the world, and for that we're joined by Bloomberg's John Tucker.
Speaker 10: Good morning Job, Hey, Good morning Amy. The US is investigating whether Iran was behind an incident in which missiles were fired near the Navy destroy USS Mason. The Mason intervene to stop the hijacking of a commercial cargo ship by pirates in the Gulf of Aidenere, Somalia on Sunday, after which two ballistic missiles were fired from Yemen tour the Navy destroyer. The ballistic missiles were fired from the part of Yemen controlled by Iranian backed Hutu rebels. They fell well short of the mark. We could be looking at a shakeup in the battery industry that's critical for the energy transition battery giants are starting to put their money on a new sodium based technology. Let's get more in this report from Bloomberg's Denise Pellegrini.
Speaker 11: Sodium from rock salt and brines is cheaper and way more abundant than the lithium widely used now in batteries. But in the past week alone, Sweden's Northfold said it made a breakthrough, and China's ev maker BYD signed a deal to build a one point four billion dollar sodium ion battery plant. Also, China's coatl said back in April at sodium based batteries would be used in some vehicles starting this year. This could all hit lithium demand Hardloomberg GETTYF has said sodium could cut hundreds of thousands of tons of lithium demand by twenty thirty five. Denise Pellegridy Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 10: This post Thanksgiving travel rush could be won for the books. American Airlines said that it flew six and a half million customers over the holiday, the highest ever for the airline. Of this traveler at New York Liberty Airport spoke for many I travel.
Speaker 11: From California to New York back and forth all the time.
Speaker 2: I have never had this much of a weight.
Speaker 1: I don't know why.
Speaker 10: American says it had more than sixty one hundred departures Sunday and expects about six thousand flights today. The Biden administration today will announce a redoubling it measures to strengthen supply chains. It's creating a new White House Council on Supply Chain Resilience. The council will conduct a supply chain review mirroring similar strategic documents prepared for National Defense at Homeland Security. Global News twenty four hours a day and whenever you wanted with Bloomberg News Now. I'm John Tucker and this is Bloomberg Amy.
Speaker 2: All right, thank you, John. We bring you news throughout the day here on Bloomberg Radio. But now you can get the latest news on demand whenever you want it. Subscribe to Bloomberg News Now to get the latest headlines at the click of a button. Get informed on your schedule, and you can listen and subscribe to Bloomberg News Now on the Bloomberg Business app, Bloomberg dot com plus Apple, Spotify, and anywhere else you get your podcasts. Time now for our Bloomberg Sports Update and for that, we bring in John stash hour Amy.
Speaker 12: The game of the day was in Philadelphia. The Eagles trailed Buffalo by ten points in the fourth quarter, trailed by three with twenty seconds to go when Jake Elliott tied the game with a fifty nine yard field goal. Philly also trailed in overtime, but Jalen Hurt scored a touchdown and the Eagles beat the Bills thirty seven to thirty.
Speaker 8: Fourth.
Speaker 12: Philly is ten and one. The Bill's having a disappointing season at six and six. The Patriots having a really disappointing season.
Speaker 13: They are two to nine.
Speaker 12: Lost to the Giants ten to seven when Chad Ryland missed a thirty five yard field goal with three seconds to go. Ravens last night improved to nine and three. They beat the Chargers twenty to ten. The Steelers are seven and four, all seven wins by seven points or less. They've been outscored on the season, but Pittsburgh able to win at Cincinnati sixteen to ten. Bengals played without the injured quarterback Joe Burrow. Carolina dropped a one in ten, lost to Tennessee seventeen to ten. Indianapolis Street Tampa Bay twenty seven to twenty Michael Pittman had over one hundred yards in receptions. Two SEC schools with new football coaches at Texas A and m it's Mike Elko. He had been at Duke the last two years and the previous to that he was the Aggies defensive coordinator. Mississippi State's new coaches Jeff Levy, he had been the offensive cornator head Oklahoma. Another f one win for Max first staff and that's nineteen out of twenty two races. That's the most ever. Celtics still on beating at home. They beat the Hawks one thirteen to one of three. Jason Tatum score thirty four. Johns dash that We're Bloomberg Sport.
Speaker 13: From coast to coast, from New York to San Francisco, Boston to Washington, DC, nationwide on Syrias Exam, the Bloomberg Business app, and Bloomberg dot Com.
Speaker 1: This is Bloomberg Daybreak. Good morning. I'm Nathan Hager. Today is scheduled to be the final full day of a four day truce between Israel and Hamas, but after the release of dozens of hostages from Gaza, including a four year old American Israeli girl. Both sides are now signaling this pause could be extended. And for the latest, we're joined from Tel Aviv by Bloomberg News reporter Simon Marx. Simon, good morning. What is the likelihood that we could see an extension given the number of hostages that have been released so far?
Speaker 4: Well, so far, the chances of this taking place seem to be making some good progress. Hamas has released a statement saying that in theory they would have greed to an extension, and Israel, for the whole way along this current truce, has said that it would be open to further days, So we're talking about ten per day for up to ten days. You know, diplomats in the city do expect that we will see one or two more days. It's a little unclear whether we're going to get to the full ten. But there is obviously a lot of pressure on the government of Benjamin Netta and Yahoo to continue the release of the hostages, with the families still campaigning and very vocal on this front.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's happening on the outside. Talk a little bit more about as well, the behind the scenes pressure that's happening with Israel and Hamas to potentially secure a further ceasefire.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I think the main reason for this is that the international community would like to see more aid get into Gaza. Obviously, the strip has been pounded for weeks now, there's still at least one hundred thousand people in the north with very very limited access to any form of humanitarian care, and then in the south you've got over a million displaced people in you know, really devastating conditions. So there were two hundred trucks that managed to get over the border from Egypt on Sunday. There's been about two thousand in total. But the hope is is that increases a lot a lot more in the coming days.
Speaker 1: What's the feeling about whether there is enough aid going in right now and whether that aid could potentially be used to support Hamas. There has to still be that concern among the Israelis, right, Yeah.
Speaker 4: Of course, And you know, this is part of the reason why the bureaucracy around getting trucks in, the checks and balances from the Israelis were so stern and and it's also part of the reason why getting aid in was actually difficult in the beginning. That it does seem in recent days to have opened up. There is this notion that, you know, if Israel is to continue its ground offensive against Hamas, that in return, they cannot be seen to be blocking eight you know, and flouting international humanitarian law. But yes, I mean Hamas fighters are spread throughout the Gaza Strip, and many people seem to think that they have a presence in the south too, where there are a lot of civilians.
Speaker 1: And that factors into a lot of the commentary that we're hearing from a particularly congressional Democrats in Washington, d C. That future aid to Israel might need to be conditioned on international humanitarian law being followed more stringently. How is that potentially factoring in to Israel's decision making when it comes to extending the pause in fighting or carrying on this war even further once whenever the pause ends, it does end.
Speaker 4: Well very much.
Speaker 13: So.
Speaker 4: Israel are extremely dependent on diplomatic and material support from the United States. Without that, I think, you know that the pressure for them to stop this war is going to mount. So far, we've seen a lot of pressure from Biden's administration to make sure Israel do allowed aid in, but there hasn't been you know, a stringent call for any longer term ceasefire. So it does seem that this green light essentially for Israel to go back in to the Gaza Strip once this truce comes to an end, is very much there, even though perhaps in some other corners of the world, particularly the Gulf and parts of Europe, obviously the pressure is mounting. But yeah, as we all know, the main bidder here is the United States.
Speaker 1: And as this pause continues, Simon, are there risks of other fronts opening while the pause goes on. I mean there's been sporadic fighting that we've been reporting on in the West Bank, as well as the back and forth over the Israeli Lebanon border.
Speaker 4: Yes, definitely. As you mentioned the West Bank, I mean just overnight there has been a report there were eight Palestinians killed in the West Bank in an air strike. The situation is very restive there that there is growing settler violence. Since October seven, Jewish settlers in the area have carried out way over two hundred attacks on Palestinian communities, and the Israeli army have also come down pretty tough on demonstrators and suspected sympathizers of Hamas. The population there in general feels like it's being occupied and oppressed, and that the Palestinian authority which runs the show there in some areas, isn't really representative of them. Obviously, if things continue in this direction, there's massive risks of it boiling over, and then, you know, I think beyond that, beyond Israel's borders. So far it has been more or less contained, but it is very, very worrying. We saw Israel strike the airport in Damascus not that long ago, targeting, yeah, targeting Iranian targets there. So clearly it's a it's a huge risk.
Speaker 1: This is Bloomberg Daybreak Today, your morning brief on the story's making news from Wall Street to Washington and beyond.
Speaker 2: Look for us on your podcast be by six am Eastern each morning on Apple, Spotify, and anywhere else you get your podcasts.
Speaker 1: You can also listen live each morning starting at five am Wall Street time, on Bloomberg eleven Priezero in New York, Bloomberg ninety nine to one in Washington, Bloomberg one six to one in Boston, and Bloomberg nine six in San Francisco.
Speaker 2: Our flagship New York station is also available on your Amazon Alexa devices. Just say Alexa.
Speaker 1: Play Bloomberg eleven thirty plus. Listen coast to coast on the Bloomberg Business app, siriusxmb iHeartRadio app, and on Bloomberg dot Com. I'm Nathan Hager and.
Speaker 2: I'm Amy Morris. Join us again tomorrow morning for all the news you need to start your day right here on Bloomberg Daybreak