Speaker 1: Al Zone Media.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to Behind the Bastards, a podcast about the very worst people in all of history. We are starting our second week, parts three and four on one of the bastardist bastards we'll ever do on this show, Jimmy Savile, British broadcaster and pedophile extraordinaire, and to talk with me about the latter and worst parts of Jimmy's life and career as a fucking monster, the Great Courtney Coosak. Welcome back, Courtney.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thank you so much for having me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thanks for being on. And you've got a book, a book that we talked about in the first two parts, but are going to plug again.
Speaker 1: Dear God, if you guys haven't already bought my book, please do. It is close Girl Gone Wild. It is about trying to make it in Hollywood. It's an unwitting feminist coming of age and it's the perfect antidote to what you're about to hear right.
Speaker 2: Now, Beautiful. Well, I guess we can't delay it anymore. So last episode we kind of ended by talking about one of the girls that Jimmy impregnated. She was this one was sixteen. There's a number I came across at least two stories, and the I mean at least two direct stories and insinuations of a lot more. I don't think we'll ever have an idea of how many girls he impregnated. I'm gonna guess often taught. Generally they had stories like the lady we talked about where they get an illegal abortion, they have health consequences afterwards, like that's a I think probably how a lot of these went. I'm gonna guess Jimmy paid for a good number of those over the years. But the same year that happened, which is nineteen sixty four, the London Metropolitan Police received a report about a flat in London that was being used to pimp out children little girls who is not little girls. I think they were mostly like in teens, but girls who were in many cases underage, who had escaped from a nearby facility. For I wrote for a facility for female juvenile offenders. That's not entirely accurate. It was called the Duncroft Approved School, and we'll talk about it more later, but it's some of these girls got in legal trouble, you know, committing some sort of crimes, will underage. Some of them are just have behavioral problems. This place seems to be a mix of like a juvenile reform school and a place kind of one of those like troubled teen camps that parents send their kids too if they're not obeying enough.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: And so some of these girls are escaping from the Duncroft School and they're winding up at this flat where they're being pimped out as child prostitutes. And the London Met bust this place in nineteen sixty four, and in their notes at the time there's like detectives right that Jimmy Savill was a repeat visitor to the home while it was operational as a pedophile. Broad right, they don't go after him or anything. He doesn't get charged with anything. There's like, oh, Jimmy Savile's going to this brothel for children an office.
Speaker 1: Famous teenage brothel.
Speaker 2: Wow, yeah, yeah, this brothel for teenage girls who have gotten in trouble with the law. Interesting, not worth looking and do further. So that does, though, beg the question how did he get away with this? And Davies gives us a good idea of how in his book in Play in Sight, when he describes an interview where Jimmy discussed one time that he nearly got arrested because and Jimmy's telling this to a reporter as like for laughs basically, and he talks about this too. We're like, well, there's always these a lot of underage girls hanging out around my office. And I got in trouble at some point, like someone called the police about it because they thought it was suspicious, and so I had to sit down for an interview with the police chief. And I told him, you know that your sixteen year old daughter comes in here, don't you would you rather she was safe with me or being preyed on by all those scumbacks and slags?
Speaker 1: What again?
Speaker 2: Tell the journalist this, and I think, like the seventies of the eighties, He's just like, yeah, you know, people get angry at me for all the underage girls I hang out around, but some of them are the children of cops.
Speaker 1: You know. I'm just here to protect him.
Speaker 2: I'm here to keep them safe. They get into trouble if they weren't around. Jimmy Savil, Oh my god, gosh. Good times. So Roger Holt, Roger, Yeah, not good times. Roger Holt was a record industry ad man in like the sixties and seventies. He's he's a guy like basically helping to there's a lot of paola going on in this period of time in the record industry. So his job is basically to bribe big DJs into playing specific records or specific songs, right. And there's a number of ways that they would do this. Sometimes you're just you know, giving him gifts or hooking them up with, you know, concert tickets they can give out on the air. Sometimes it's more direct, we're bribing people. As we've talked about, some of these DJs are getting bribed in girls. Right. Not that I'm saying Holt did that. I don't know what Holt did specifically, but he's a record industry ad man during this period of time, and he visited Saffle's Radio one office regularly throughout the sixties. He would later tell Davies that the DJs love for young girls was an open secret quote I heard through his office just in conversation. Jimmy's added again that's how people would talk about him molesting teenagers. This did not strike anyone. It struck people as a bit odd. They're talking about it obviously, right, I don't think it was odd for DJs to I mean, it certainly wasn't uncommon for DJs to be in like close quarters with sixteen and seventeen year old girls, which again was legal at the time. But it's notable that Jimmy is exclusively going for girls that age and younger, as opposed to that just being a thing, which I'm not saying it's okay when it was the thing that happened sometimes for guys, but people that time are like, wow, Jimmy really prefers them really young, often illegally.
Speaker 1: So didn't just slip through the cracks.
Speaker 2: Right right, So yeah, what's important is you understand that Jimmy's love of young girls was seen as noteworthy and talked about, but was far from an aberration within his professional circles and certainly wasn't seen as like a reason to discipline him or look into it any further. What made Jimmy weird, and the thing people did note about him at the time is that he doesn't he's not into the social side of the music business. Most people who are like DJs or record engineers are like hanging out with other people in the business, right, They like like the culture around it, and they're interested in like the creative aspect of it too, Like they like making music, and they like they're interested in how music gets made. Jimmy's not interested in any of that, and he's not interested in like socializing with his colleagues. In fact, he has almost no relationship with other DJs, which is seen as kind of weird. As mister Holt told an interviewer, he was just a very strange person. You couldn't really have a conversation with him. I used to see him at Top of the Pops and I didn't talk to him unless I had to go to his dressing room. When I had to go to his dressing room, the last time I was there, there weren't any young girls in there, but there were a lot of his mates that I thought were as weird as he was. There was definitely a click in that dressing room. Now he's just saying the last time he visited, it wasn't a bunch of girls, it was his friends. Weird friends. What kind of clique do you think Jimmy Saffle's hanging out with if it's not other DJs?
Speaker 4: Right, I mean, the word is click first of all.
Speaker 2: Okay, you can say it's a click, but thank you.
Speaker 1: So.
Speaker 2: My interpretation of the evidence I have is that Jimmy's issue, one of Jimmy's issues with his fellow dj he has a couple issues with his fellow DJs. One is they're really reckless, Like they're not careful at all about the Kola stuff. Oh they're not like you know, remember that speech he gave about being clever versus being tricky. I think he would say they were clever and he's tricky, and he didn't want to hang out with the clever guys because he knew the clever guys were gonna get busted being clever, whereas he doesn't want to get busted, so he's gonna stay tricky.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: The other side of that, what I think is also accurate and probably more worth mentioning, is that most of those DJs are having sex with teenagers kind of you know, it's not the whole point. It's like a bit. It gets a side part of what they're doing. And their lives are not.
Speaker 4: Sexually assaulting children, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well they are sometimes, but it's not their primary motivating fact. Jimmy's primary motivating factor is being able to sexually assault children.
Speaker 5: So the fuck is in his clique?
Speaker 2: Great question. We know that one of his close friends as early as nineteen sixty six was a member of the British Royal family, and in fact, the person who introduces Jimmy to the British Royal family, Lord Lewis Mountbatten, like the.
Speaker 6: Lord matted, like like.
Speaker 4: Prince Philip, like father figure to kick.
Speaker 1: Charles like, yeah, that's his name, that's his real name.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, the Lord mount Batton, Yes, that was his name was. We'll talk about that in a second, so me mount Batten.
Speaker 7: Whoa oh yeah, oh yeah, they were They introduce Jimmy to the family.
Speaker 4: Lunch clubs together and shiit, what's the vibe.
Speaker 2: We'll talk about what they might have been doing together, because these are the royals, you know, we don't have perfect information about what was going on behind the scenes, but mount Baton introduces him to people like Prince Andrew, who's been in the news lately, and of course Prince Charles. Discuss all that later, but let's talk about Lord mount Batten for a moment, right. So he dies in nineteen seventy nine. He again, he and Jimmy meet in.
Speaker 4: Nineteen so this guy is do you know how he dies and shit like, oh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yes, he gets blown up by the IRA on a boat in nineteen seventy nine. Because Lord Mountbatten was rerored by the.
Speaker 4: US FBI also on that boat, Rob.
Speaker 2: That part maybe not nailed it perfectly, but you did note that there were children on the boat, Sophie. Lord Mountbatten was rumored to be a pedophile on a massive scale. Yeah, which is not ideal. So yeah, you were saying something, Courtney.
Speaker 1: This is so this is Philip's dad.
Speaker 7: No father figure, no, no, no, not father figure, not direct, but but he he does take the mount Baton name Philip.
Speaker 2: Yes he does, right, I'm not an expert on the Royals, but it's mount Batton who is introduces Jimmy to the family and mount Baton is rumored by the FBI before his death to be a pedophile and a like a major pedophile. The website Irish Central quotes from an interview with Anthony Daly, who worked as a rent boy for London's upper crust in the seventies. That means he was a young male prostitute for like rich guys in London in the seventies and he recalled quote Mount Batten had something of a fetish for uniforms. Handsome young men in military uniforms with high boots and beautiful boys in school uniforms. Great stuff. Now, I don't know that Mount Batten and Jimmy Saville hit it off because they love molesting boys together. I don't have evidence of that, but we know Saville loved to molest boys as well as girls, very getting down to very young boys. These stories did not come out as early as the reports of Saville abusing and having sex with teenaged girls, right, but they do come out later in life, and we have quite a bit of evidence of this. And one of these accounts, which comes from the book In Plain Sight, is particularly horrifying because it comes from Guy Marsden, who was Jimmy Saville's nephew. He was one of Savill's older sister sons. And he runs away as a teenage boy after repeated trouble with the law. He's just one of these kids who gets in trouble and he and like three of his friends hitchhike to London. I'm guessing they lived around Leeds or something, just based on where the family comes from, and they spent their first days bumming around Euston Station, which they didn't know at that point in time was a common pick cup point for men seeking other men or sometimes boys. After several hours waiting around, one man offered to put Marsden and his friends up at a flat nearby. They came over and these guys are, you know, chilling at this flat. You have to assume paying with their bodies, you know, for privileged somewhat, but that's what's going on. And after a couple of days of this, Jimmy Savile shows up. Now guy is terrified at first because he assumes his uncle has been sent there to bring him home and probably knock him around a bit, right, Like he thinks he's in trouble. And instead Jimmy's like surprised to see them. And it's basically like, hey, why don't you guys come with me? And I'm going to quote now from end plain sight. Marsden claimed that Uncle Jimmy moved the runaways into a house over the ensuing weeks. He also took the boys to a number of parties. There were no women at these soirees, only men and children. Marsden maintained that he realized immediately what sort of parties they were. One of the houses he described as being particularly memorable. The big feature of it were when you went in the swimming pool. He explained. It were a room with a big swimming and it were so inviting. Everybody used it and we're diving into it. It had lights in it, it was lit up. It was unbelievable. All you wanted to do was stay there forever. Marsden said he believes the house belonged to a famous pop impresario at the time. Don't know who that is. Might have a couple theories. So what this is is some of the better evidence that I found so far to suggest that Jimmy Savill was not just a guy who abused a lot of kids at scale, but was part of an or several organized networks of child abuse and exploitation.
Speaker 4: He's sex drafting children, yeah.
Speaker 2: He's and he's part of like a club of guys who were doing that. And because these kids.
Speaker 7: Sexually assaulting and sex trafficking children in a coort organized way, is what you're saying.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, and that's that is what this account suggests. And there's there's some other things that suggest this too. But yeah, this is not a thing where like we have perfect this has not been export for example, the extent that like the Epstein networks have been, in part because this stuff doesn't really start coming out until so much later. But what Marsden alleges is that these kids, some of these kids are being molested by the rich and famous men who attend the parties, not actually like most of them necessarily, which is an interesting point and I'm gonna explain that in a bit. But Marsden claims that quote from time to time, they the boys were led into rooms with adult males. Noises could be heard coming from inside. None of these kids were stressed. It was as though they were really really enjoying what they were doing. That's the sad part, really, and that's not as strange as it sounds. These are all very poor kids. Many of them have been kicked out of their homes for being queer. These kids are living on the street, They are eating basically by prostituting themselves, and have probably in general probably have been abused and raped and molested quite a few times. And this is still more of that. But the difference is now these boys are getting paid, they're spending all of their time they're living when they're not participating in these parties at these various mansions and palaces. So they're getting to live. These kids who have been on the street are getting to live that one percent er lifestyle at the price of being repeatedly raped. That's what's happening here, and it says a lot about the desperation of their lives that a lot of these kids at the time are like, Okay, this is a worthwhile trade in for me. Right now, after some time at any one location, they would be put in a car and taken to a new location. Some parties would go on for days and would involve multiple different venues. Now, per Marsden's account, a lot of, if not most, of the boys aren't being molested, and that's for a reason. The kids whoul attend these parties range in ages up to their late teens, so anywhere from six to ten years old, and Marsden says most of the kids who were taken into rooms to be abused by adults were six to ten years old. Right, the older teens aren't being as often molested, according to Marsden's account, and he says he was never abused himself. Maybe he's lying about that, but I he provides a pretty decent explanation as to why that would be. As he posited, quote, someone must have had an idea that we would be a good intermediary for these kids. It might have stressed them if there were only adult men. So you've got the older teens there, so the younger boys don't think this is weird and don't get as scared, and so they can kind of be like, just go do it, It'll be fine. You know. The older teen boys are getting something out of this too. That's kind of what's happening here.
Speaker 1: Wait, so that was my job on the Girl's Gone Wild tour was just to be the girl, so the other girls felt comfortable on the bus sadly.
Speaker 7: Wait, Roberts, so you're saying, so what are the ages of these boys? Their ages anywhere from what to what?
Speaker 2: The kids being molested, he says, are generally six to ten. Marsden I think was more like fifteen or sixteen, and the older teen boys are anywhere, like, you know, eleven or twelve to like you know, sixteen, seventeen years old. Probably would be seventeen be probably the oldest so all.
Speaker 7: Of these boys are being sexually abused, even if they aren't aware that they're being sexually abused, because they're being taken advantage of by adults.
Speaker 2: They're all being abused. They're not all being physically sexually abused. According to Marsden. Oh so the older boys are there, Like there's like it's abusive to put a sixteen year old in a situation where they're like encouraging an eight year old to go get molested in order to have a roof over their head. That's a fundamentally abusive thing. But they're not necessarily being physically molested because their purpose is to be there to normalize the situation for the kids who are the real targets. Right, That's what Marston describes, And that makes sense to me. I mean, like, as you said, Courtney, there's yeah, like it's I don't doubt this.
Speaker 1: Account understood makes sense.
Speaker 2: So again his account is not that Savill is like the organizer or the main guy behind it. He's just a member of this network of very elite pedophiles. Right. These guys are very wealthy, they have massive properties. They're probably often doing this like miles away from civilization, a lot of this is happening on these big English estates where you're kind of a law into yourself. You know, you're going to go run to the cops out there. You're in the middle of pasture land and shit, right, there's like forests and stuff. Some of these properties have thousands of acres to them. So and we see in this and the way this is set up an echo of how Savill abused the young, like the teenage girls who were like fans of pop music who came to him. Most of the girls who showed up outside of his office or went to shows and hung out with him before and after shows are not being molested by him. He doesn't quote unquote pick most of them. And that fact helps to hide what's going on and make it seem believable that this is normal and acceptable because most of the girls you talk to be like, oh yeah, Jimy's a little weird, but it's fine because they're not all the target. Right. Does that all make sense in terms of like how he's structuring this abuse.
Speaker 1: Very sophisticated pedophelia.
Speaker 2: To get away with it as long as he was, you have to be good at it, you know. He's also lucky. He benefits from it for a lot of reasons. But like he's set this up for this way for a reason, because it works. So Marsden says he never saw his uncle abuse any boys at these parties. I don't know. Maybe he didn't. Maybe he was primarily at the parties to get access or to get favors for other things. Maybe he's just not into it in that venue. We know he abused young boys. I think the youngest I've heard of was five, So we know he abused young boys, but he may not have done it at these particular parties for some reason. Maybe this is just something he saw as useful to like facilitate the moving of his career. Right. So again, we know he bonds with Lord Mountbatten in sixty six. We know in sixty six he's doing stuff like this. We know Lord mount Matton's probably doing stuff like this. My guess is that this is how they've become friends, right, And we do know there's also versions of these parties that are being held with teenaged girls and a different set of rich and famous creeps right where there's no boys, but there's rich and famous men. And then there's like fourteen to seventeen year old girls. Right, we also know that version and probably younger. We know that version.
Speaker 3: VOT.
Speaker 2: There's parties like that going on too, I say, yeah, yeah, anyway, none of this weirdness, none of the fact that's going on, is enough to get the BBC to shy away from Jimmy. You know, there's rumors around him, people talk about him liking him young. He makes some comments about that fuck is wrong. BBC doesn't give a shit. Oh, they don't give a fuck about any of this.
Speaker 1: He is.
Speaker 2: In fact, they're going to be a major engine of abuse for Jimmy Savil. The BBC doesn't isn't just he's not just a BBC employee who abuses people. He utilizes the resources of the BBC to aid him in abusing people. That's a major part of this story. At the start of the nineteen seventies, they give him a radio one show, Savell's Travels, which also turns into a BBC TV show. I think it's called Savill's Yorkshire Travels. I think there's a couple. I don't understand the BBC's weird A lot of these shows aren't really archived in full anymore so I but he does both. It's a radio show that comes like a TV.
Speaker 7: Watch this really odd guy go to places.
Speaker 2: He lives in a caravan, which is like an RV or trailer basically, and he's traveling around the country talking to people. You know, it's like his Anthony Bourdain type deal. Right, That's that's what people are getting out of it.
Speaker 4: I don't like, I don't like that person.
Speaker 2: It's not great. I'm not not in that, but like that's the kind of the appeal is he's like this regular guy. He's showing you the regular guy's view of these different places in Yorkshire or wherever. So that starts in like the at the beginning of the seventies. Now, by the start of that decade, Savill had already established a strong reputation as a charitable fundraisers. We've said, anytime he's doing events, he's often having his salary donated to charity's you know, he starts raising money. There's this thing people are doing sometimes where like you'll push someone in like a wheelchair for a distance and you know people will like pave It's like these different kind of like you know, run for cancer type charities. You know, he's doing some stuff like that. In nineteen seventy one, he participates in his most ambitious charity drive yet, an eight hundred and seventy six mile walk, and he's he does this with his Savals travels motor pool traveling behind him. So he's like sleeping in the caravan at night, and he's walking all day and people are like joining him at varying points on the march. This is like a thirty one day event, and he's never really alone during this. He's constantly being followed by people. Sometimes, like people who are in wheelchairs show up and he'll push them for a while hundreds of folks march alongside them. Jimmy wrote in his column the next week, quote, I've wheeled cripples along in wheelchairs who didn't want to be like I've pushed prams with assorted babies in I've slowed down to a shuffle with a ninet year old lady gripping my arm, and sped up fleet footed downhill with an entire youth club tailing behind, like Hayley's comment. And this actually ends with one of his first direct things with the fucking British Royal Marines, which we're not going to talk about enough in these episodes, But the Royal Marines like show up to march with him. At the end of his march, he does a lot of events with them. He becomes an honorary member of the Royal He loves the fucking Royal Marines. It's a proud, proud part of the history of the Royal Marines is Jimmy Stavile got to be a member. Great stuff.
Speaker 1: Wow, speaks full of the organization.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah. He does a lot of lung He does a lot of marathons, He does a lot of marches for charity, does a lot of wheelchair pushes, all of these to raise money for good causes. Savill continued to make outrageous demands when he would agree to participate in these events, as he had earlier in his career. During a fundraiser where he pushed a patient in a wheelchair from Rochester to Bromley, Saville admitted to press that he'd given this demand to the event organizer. Find me a blonde teenage bird who lives in a house with the drive so I can park outside, so she can wake me up in the morning with tea at eight o'clock. The organizer agreed. This is just in the press. God, oh, Jimmy, he loves those blonde teenage birds.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: But he's doing good. He's raising so much money for good causes. You know, why be angry at him for being just a little bit odd, right, He couldn't possibly be hurting anybody you know who else? Oh?
Speaker 5: Sorry, because he's a petophile.
Speaker 2: Sorry yeah, yeah, transition you know who's not a That's not a good ad pivot anyway, Let's forget I tried to do that.
Speaker 1: Here's some ass I.
Speaker 2: Am we'd back. So, after committing or committing completing his nearly nine hundred mile march, was awarded the Order of the British Empire or ob which is just a step under knighthood. Now, this entitled him to sign his name Jimmy Savile Obe, which he does on his subsequent autobiography that comes out not long after this, and interviews at the time. He is vocally thrilled by the recognition, which elevated him to a level of social respectability other DJs simply lacked. Here's a photo of him after his investiture at Buckingham Palace. There's Jimmy savill Obe. He's got like a normal suit on for once in his fucking life. And he's got this big metal they give you when you get the obe. He's smoking one of his cigars. He's got a fucking pinky ring on and the top hat and his his fucking peroxide white hair, just his hair like no business around teenage making.
Speaker 5: Making the pinky ring look bad and shit like it's fucked up.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, it's not a darker part of Pinky Ring history. Pinky Ring history and Royal Marine Corps history both both not low points of both. So Savill's Yorkshire Travels, his like TV show version of this radio thing hits the air. In nineteen seventy two, just before that happened. Per the book, in Plane Sight, the body of fifteen year old Claire McAlpin was discovered by her mother, surrounded by empty pill bottles and a red diary. In her diary, she had obviously committed suicide, and in her diary she repeatedly mentioned the sex that she had had with top BBC disc jockeys that she had met while dancing for Top of the Pops. And again, she's fifteen, This is underaged, this is statutory rape. That's what she's writing. About multiple disc jockeys at Top of the Pops at the BBC's hit show Top of the Pops rape this girl. Saville is believed to be one of them, Like we know he was one of them, right, But he mostly stays out of the fallout around this story because by this point he's expanded beyond just being a DJ. So the actual like scandal around Claire MacAlpin's suicide and around all of this, and it's not just her. There's a couple of other girls that they find out were being trafficked basically to BBC disc jockeys as part of like a Paola scam. And that's the primary thing that blows up into a scandal, is that a lot of these like DJs who would like it get brought in from the pirate world, are accepting fucking sex with teenage girls as a form of payola for playing songs. Right, That's primarily the big scandal that happens here, and that's obviously not what people should have been most angry about, and it's not the only thing that they're angry about. Some of these guys get in trouble, but not Jimmy, right, He's never a focus of these investigations, because by the time this all blows up, he's kind of moved on, right, Like he's he's still doing Top of the Pops from time to time. He's still a DJ, but he's like increasingly starting to be like a TV and radio star for other reasons. And so he's just not at the center of this stuff. But a good friend of his was he was like.
Speaker 1: One of the main Top of the Pops guys, wasn't he.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, But he's not socially a part of that circle. So most of the accounts they're getting and most of what blows up is involving other guys and sample we just kind of know he was involved, but he's not like at the center of this. And he may not have actually taken payola. He may have just been molesting teenage girls, like we know he was doing a lot. He may not have actually taken we don't know, like, but he doesn't get in trouble for this, whereas other guys do. And one of these other guys is a member of his clique, Harry Goodwin, who was a photographer for Top of the Pops. Undercover journalists recorded Goodwind bragging about taking pornographic photos of I mean, and these are I think most of these are Sea Sam right. I guess it depends on the age of consent. But he's taking he's making child pornography with pictures of underaged girls. I assume some not all underage, but most of them probably are. And he's also making movies, you know, quote unquote movies of the statutory rape occurring he's discussed, and he's playing these. He's selling these movies to pop stars, not only in the industry.
Speaker 4: Despicably gross and.
Speaker 2: Good friend h yeah, he must be by now great like yeah, and he gets in some trouble for this, so you know, again close friend of Jimmy's here making child pornagre or child sex abuse content of varying sorts. So a few people's careers end over this, but again not Jimmy's, because he's moved on. Savell's travels keeps him on the road and makes his fame much broader than just pop music at a time when he desperately needed that. Of course, this doesn't stop him from committing sex crimes. There were almost immediately complaints along his route of travel that Savell now well into his thirties was molesting kids. Radio one controller Douglas Muggridge asked the station press officer, Rodney Collins to make sure to check and see if any local newspapers in areas Savile had gone through planned to print any rumors about his behavior. As mister call later told the BBC, there were allegations that there were girls underage, girls involved, maybe in the caravan. However, the newspapers that mister Collins talked to insisted they were unwilling to print allegations against Saville, whether they were true or not, because of all of his charity work and because he was quote perceived as a very popular man. So this guy's for the BBC looking into like, hey, are you going to print any rumors to see if we need to like bribe these guys or threaten them to stop it. Yeah, And the papers are like, we weren't going to publish it, even if it is true that he's molesting girls, you know, because of all of his charity work.
Speaker 1: He's a good guy.
Speaker 2: He's doing so much good stuff, you know. Yeah, Is it so bad that he's molested children on while he does this charity work?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 2: Is someone's got to raise money for charity. You know, why not let it be a pedophile. A lot of reasons. Yeah, So again he's like part of what he's doing on camera for these shows is he's like visiting mom and pop restaurants and cafes and clubs. He's talking to regular people in a way that no besuited, highly educated, traditional reporter could have done. And there's a number of reasons why Jimmy is so popular. One is that, again, there had been like a BBC voice. There had been like a voice that radio announcers when they start doing television TV announcers are supposed to sort of have to kind of be proper and to do the job the right way. And this is a very like this is a system that is primarily set up for people with specific educations from specific institutions, and they talk in specific ways. And Jimmy's a former coal miner from the north voices the accent of the northern part of the country is seen as more authentic in the UK, kind of in the same way as like a southern twang is seen as both evidence that you might be a redneck and that you're an honest assault of the earth. Real American, Like, he's got an accent that works for him in that way, that makes him seem like a trustworthy, working class dude, and people are just kind of starved for that. In Great Britain at this time, there's not a lot of it in their popular media. And this is part of why he's so rapidly popular is a lot of folks in the poorer northern parts of the country see themselves represented in Jimmy and the fact that he kind of dresses like a weirdo is like, yeah, but he's our weirdo.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: Why should he have to wear a monkey suit like all these fancy guys. That's kind of and it helps to it helps to camouflage him, you know. The popularity is part of the camouflage.
Speaker 1: He's got five different covers. He's a genius.
Speaker 2: He's good at it. Unfortunately, most of the initial run of Saval's travels took place in Yorkshire, and a BBC article in May of twenty thirteen, less than a year after Savle's crimes became were made public, West Yorkshire Police noted that they had recorded evidence of at least seventy nine offenses by Savile against seventy one separate people. Quote per the PBC, thirty five attacks by the broadcaster in hospitals involved complainants ranging from age five to forty five. The West Yorkshire Police figures show Saval target eighteen victims at private addresses and leeds in Bradford. Now again, a year after he dies and these stories come out within the first year, West Yorkshire Police have recorded seventy nine offenses against seventy one people. That's not how many victims he had. That's what they record decades after the fact, when it's finally okay to talk about he's abusing hundreds of people in West Yorkshire alone. Right, we'll talk about We have no idea how his total number of victims, but we'll talk about what we know about it. I just need you to understand this is like an every night thing for him. He is abusing people with tremendous startling regularity. In nineteen seventy two. Yeah, sorry, that's like, No.
Speaker 1: Five is so young. You said the range was five to forty five, five.
Speaker 2: To forty five in that area a year after the investigation starts.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's nauseating. I didn't even think he went that old. But the young end of his rage is truly.
Speaker 2: In like the eighties. Yeah, yeah, the young end is real bleak. In nineteen seventy two, Jimmy had a radio documentary made about him, The World of Jimmy safvill Obe. It attempted to investigate who Jimmy was as a person, something that had already proven nearly impossible for interfy words to nail down. Jimmy himself claimed to have nothing to hide from people. Quote, they ask me, are you queer? I say no, But if I felt that way, I would have been. They asked me, why don't you get married? I say, well, I've never felt the need. I've got nothing to hide from people, And when you come to think about it, I lead a dead simple sort of life, which is okay and definitely enough for me. Simple. Now, the fact that Jimmy has been awarded the Order of the British Empire, as I noted earlier, it makes it possible for him to enter these higher echelons of British society, but it doesn't guarantee that he'll make friends and find influence there. To do that, he's going to need to put in work, and initially it seems Jimmy tries to hedge his bets by getting in good with politicians on both sides of the aisle. In an article for The Tribune Feral Kinney Wrights during the politically Feebriles nineteen seventies, Savill appears to have hedged his bets filming a nineteen seventy four party political broadcast with Liberal leader Jeremy Thorpe. Liberal politician Cyril Smith, who would be unmasked as a pedophile in the aftermath of Savill's death, enjoyed a light entertainment run on Savile's Clunk Clink program. So he does talk to in the seventies, he's hanging out and kind of boosting liberal politicians, and he will later boost conservative politicians. But one of the liberal politicians he boosts, Cyril Smith and has on his show a bunch of times, is unmasked as a pedophile. Two that's going to be a habit for like friends of Jimmy's. We've talked to two three so far Lord Mountbatten, the dude, the photographer on the show, and this fucking politician. So that's three pedophiles. Had a Jimmy sapfle friends already Click yeah, the click, and also he knows him Prince Andrew. Are buddies know what Prince Andrew's getting up to? No longer Prince Andrew. In nineteen seventy five, Jimmy Savill did something rare, which is that he officially becomes a bigger TV star than he had ever been like a radio star. This is the moment where he fully crosses over and from this point on he's not going to be primarily known as a DJ. He's going to be primarily known for his work on BBC TV. The BBC gives him like a dedicated show called Jim Will Fix It, which airs for the first time in nineteen seventy five in a seventy four to seventy five and a primetime spot on Saturdays. Right, this is like a major show. It's running at basically the best time you can and the premise is very simple. Children from around the world write Jimmy Savill letters outlining their wildest dreams, and jim will fix it so the dream comes true. Writing for CNN, Dave Gilbert notes that it's height This program, which again runs until nineteen is Yeah Not runs from nineteen seventy five to nineteen ninety four was receiving quote, twenty thousand requests a week. Famous fixes included an encounter with boxing legend Muhammad Ali and the boy scouts who wanted to eat their packed lunches on a roller coaster, resulting in a predictable mess. So that's the kind of show it is. You can see why this is such a hit. You know, you've got first off, you've got these kids, and the way the show works is like you think it's letters, right, it's like a make a wish and he gets to read these cute letters that these kids write with their own drawings. He gets to laugh at like kids being cute or spelling stuff bad. Then you get to have the kid on talk about their dream and then you get to like film you making it happen for them, and then he gives them like these medallions that say jim fixed it for me, which for a while we're quite valuable. So the series is it's a massive success, and it makes Jimmy more dangerous than ever because now he's gone from this is like a DJ who has access to teenage girls because he has access to pop stars. But like that has a time on it. For one thing, Jimmy's pushing middle age now, so it's getting harder and harder for him to still seem like Britain's oldest teenager. Now he has a reason to be around kids and be trusted by them because he's Santa. He's like British Santa.
Speaker 1: It's crazy that they greenlit this show.
Speaker 2: We need a gutt to be Santa. Claus picked the let's have a giant pedophile. Yeah, the guy whom less all the kids bring him on. He'll be a great Santa. Yeah. So the dreams he made come true ran the gamut. In one early episode, a child wished to fly like Peter Pand and sword fight Captain Hook and Jim's crew used like stage rigging and theater equipment to make that happen in the same way you would for like a Broadway production.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: Another kid wanted to take his school teacher out for an expensive dinner at a fine dining establishment, and so they put him up at this like crazy restaurant with these really elaborate meals and they fill them all of it. You know, you can see why generations of Britain's ate this show up right. That said, as innocent as this is sounds and should have been. The content wasn't always innocent, and in fact, Jimmy can't help himself from like making references to his current and future sex crimes. There's bits of that littered all throughout episodes of jim Will Fix It. Sophie's gonna provide you with show you all one brief clip. Ever since I can remember, I've always wanted to be a singer, but shyness has always got in the way. Please because you fix it for me to sing?
Speaker 5: Who was sincerely, Debbie Coleman.
Speaker 8: Here's somebody's a helper who also has.
Speaker 1: A problem with being shy.
Speaker 8: Gary Glitter, So.
Speaker 2: Gary Glitter, hah, that doesn't seem like it was too bad, right, Just a kid who wants to be a pop star. And he's like, okay, I'll fix you up with my friend Gary Glitter. And Gary was indeed, Hey have you heard of Gary Courtney? You don't anything about this guy?
Speaker 1: No? No, Also that kid was twenty.
Speaker 2: So yeah, yeah, kid was twenty thankfully. Gary Glitter, a major popstar, was a major pop star in the seventies and eighties and was a close friend of Jimmy Savell. He was brought down in nineteen ninety nine after being convicted of downloading child's sex abuse material. He was eventually charged with child sex abuse and attempted rape of a child, among other offenses. Glitter and Savile partied regularly throughout the seventies and eighties and shared a taste for little girls, and in Glitter's case, the youngest of his victims were ten and eleven. So great that he's hucking them up with people on the show. Good to have Gary Glitter on Jim Will Fix It. At least that what person seems to have been an adult, Thank fucking god, they often weren't.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: The fact that Jimmy wasn't singled out when Glitter got busted is extraordinary, especially because Jim made repeated as I was kind of insinuating earlier. He made repeated open comments about his attraction to girls as young as eleven in episodes of his hit show Top of the Pops and in Jim Will Fix It. Here's just one example, and this is from the part of Jim Will Fix It where he hands out his famous Jim fixed It for me Ad Alliens to winners of the show. So we're gonna look at that clip right now, if both these.
Speaker 8: Young ladies that Jim'll fix it because how old are you?
Speaker 3: Twelve?
Speaker 8: Hello, judge?
Speaker 3: And how old are you? Ma?
Speaker 2: It's fine, it's fine. Everybody laughs. Right. What did he say to her? He said, he asked her age and she said twelve, and he said, hello, judge. Yes, he's joking that he's going to molest her and get in trouble.
Speaker 8: God.
Speaker 2: And then the other girl says eleven, and he says, are you married? And everyone laughs. I didn't catch young larry ladies.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I wish this isn't again.
Speaker 7: And I think this is part of his stick. I was thrown off by how odd he looked at him, leaning over and he's like, I didn't barely even get Courtney missed it two.
Speaker 4: I was like, what did this strange man say?
Speaker 3: But not really.
Speaker 2: What he's doing is first making a joke about molesting a twelve year old and getting in trouble in court, and then making a joke about wanting to marry an eleven year old. Those are the jokes. He's not hiding this or it is. He's hiding in very plain sight, and that that hello judge bit is a constant. That's one of Jim's like catchphrases, right is he'll reference his attraction to a young girl and then go hello, judge. You know, he makes constant jokes. He'll also joke about having an upcoming court date, like I've had a great life and I go to you know, my trials next Thursday or something like that was like a really common reference from him. So there's a lot of bits about him being in trouble with the law for his attraction to underaged girls that he performs on air with regularity. Once he dies and all of the stories of the actual abuse start flooding out into the open, people begin looking through old episodes of Jim Will Fix It, and they find a lot of evidence of the pedophile hiding and plain sight. For an example of that, here's one find from a user on the website Beta dot com and this guy's actually like posting video from an old episode. He's like filming it on his laptop. Again, a lot of these original episodes are kind of harder to find now. So Selvie's gonna play you a clip that starts with Jimmy reading this kid's letter.
Speaker 3: Well, I think about that one as well.
Speaker 8: From Notching for London, Eastport, did Jimmy fix it? I think you have fixed enough people now and I think it is about time you were fixed. So will you fix it for me to come along to the VBC theater and fix you? Lots of love Barclay Quarter, then yes, please do not tickle me. Yeah, Barkley, I'm presuming with blacka qatermen that you happen to be a young man and of tickling young men. But if you have a sister who knows.
Speaker 2: Again again, it's just he's just everyone laughs at this joke about this weird guy tickling a female child against your will. Right, It's just funny. It's a bit, you know, Nobody takes it seriously. It's fucking amazing how openness is like the man. If the show was called Jim a Pedophile, it could hardly be more open about this guy's proclivities. Yeah, and yet like paradoxically, the jokes act as a sort of camouflage, as does as you've said, the way he's dressed and the way he presents himself, it all helps him. It's very effective at letting him hide and play in sight, and in some ways it's giving him like the fact that he brings the audience in, makes them complicit. That's part of the tactic. He's they're giving him permission to act the way he does. If everyone's laughing, can what he said really be so bad? Right?
Speaker 1: But it's crazy that when Gary Glitter goes down or whatever, they're not like, oh wait a minute, what about his best friend?
Speaker 2: But it happened. That happens so often that some guy will go down for pedophilia who is known as a close friend of Jimmy Savill, and Jimmy doesn't get in trouble like it happens a bunch good stuff. I'm happy? How are you doing?
Speaker 3: Who?
Speaker 1: I'm okay?
Speaker 2: Have we had a second ad break yet, Sophie?
Speaker 4: We have not.
Speaker 2: We have not. Let's do that the fuck now, Let's take a second and then come back and we're back. So jim will fix it with such an outrageous hit that it launched Jimmy's career as a superstar, or at least a UK superstar. He's never people will notice. He never really crosses over in the way that like some big BBC figures do. But he's very popular within the UK. As Dave Gilbert summarizes generations, of Britain's also remember him for a string of public information films, including a road safety promotion that encouraged motorists to use their seat belts, a campaign that started before wearing belts became compulsory in the UK. Savill's closing catchphrase clunk click every trip was instantly memorable and caught on with the watching public. He also promoted the National Rail Network and a campaign dubbed this is the Age of the Train. And I read that quote because it's it's probably impossible for me to get across to an audience of mostly Americans and people from elsewhere in the world besides the UK. What Jimmy Savil meant to Britons of a certain age. The best I can do is to say that for most young British kids from like the late sixties and seventies, well, really like the seventies through the early nineties, Jimmy Savill was the BBC. He has too many TV shows to keep track of. He's and whenever there's like a big we're doing a big fundraiser, we're doing a big New Year's or whatever thing, we're doing a big holiday thing, Jimmy's the guy who gets picked a lot of times to like headline or MC because he's the face of the BBC right for like twenty years.
Speaker 1: He's kind of like Regius Philbin or something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, like read but even like I was aware of Regis as a kid, but we have so much choice and option for channels and the KAY didn't as much in this period of time. So the fact that he is the face of the BBC, like he's to a lot of kids, they would have just seen Jimmy as like woven into the foundation of the earth almost in like if you can if you were a nineties kid, a kind of like the late eighties through the nineties, the way that Robin Williams was to our generation where it was just like this is just like a Robin never did anything wrong that I'm aware of, but uh steal some jokes but uh forgivable. You know, he was pretty coked out, but that level of like this this guy is woven into the firmament as like a part of your childhood, right yeah. And they're like an uncle, like an angle, like the country's weird uncle.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: In nineteen seventy one, Jimmy also started volunteering at the National Spinal Injury Center at the Stoke Mandivil Hospital. He not only raised money to renovate the hospital's facilities, which had fallen into tremendous disrepair, but he started doing regular shifts as an orderly, helping new patients to their rooms and doing rounds just as an employee would have done. As we'll talk about, this goes on for decades. From the start of Jimmy's time volunteering at Stoke Mandival, there were rumors that Jimmy, per one acquaintance at the BBC abused his position by having sexual relations with patients, but this source insists he never heard anything about illegal activity with underaged girls. So this guy is saying, basically, everyone knew that Jimmy's sleeping with patients at the hospital that he's helping to fund and is working at as an orderly, but we never thought that it was they were underage.
Speaker 1: Jimmy's like, okay, forty, but it's hard for them to get away. They have some real injury.
Speaker 2: That's literally why he does it. Yes, that's that is that is the tactic care. Unfortunately, the dark now, however prevalent these rumors are, they weren't enough to offset the funds that he's raising for Stoke Mandville, particularly at a time by the late seventies, Great Britain's social safety net is starting to look like it's running on fumes.
Speaker 7: It's pretty it's pretty gross that they're like that that, Like the cost of like fundraising is just like mass sexual abuse.
Speaker 2: Pedophile abuse people. Yeah, otherwise we won't have money to keep the spine hospital in business.
Speaker 7: Yeah, they really value they really value people's lives and wellness, and.
Speaker 3: Just so.
Speaker 2: Much angrier. You get so much anger.
Speaker 7: I was like trying to like hold I got really angry after part two, and I was like, I was like, I'm gonna try to pace myself this.
Speaker 2: For an idea of how bad this is. We don't went on the product of factors doing trigger warnings on this show. Like I cried during the research of these episodes that hasn't happened for years, Like I am dead inside and I was fucking full on weeping during some of the research for this because what he's just the scale of it and the the degree to which his victims had no possible method of fighting back against him. Right, these are He's going after peace people who are the most desperate people he can find in his society. Anyway, let's talk about Margaret Thatcher. In nineteen seventy seven, Savill first hod It a hosted member of Parliament Margaret Thatcher on a visit to Stoke Mandeville. The two became fast friends. Thatcher liked Jimmy because his talent for raising money to fund public programs and facilities meant that the government didn't need to use as much tax money to support the NHS. Jimmy, on the other hand, seems to have instinctively seen that Thatcher was going places and he wanted her to owe him. His opportunity to do this would come as a result of the harsh austerity policies Thatcher sought to press upon the country if she became Prime Minister. Her vision of an ideal Britain didn't include public funding for health care, but did include a worship of wealthy and powerful people and the charity they might be convinced to provide rather than compulsory taxes. By nineteen seventy eight, Saville was one of the most prominent charitable fundraisers in the country. If you just tax rich people to fund your social safe and you have to fund your hospitals, then none of them are particularly like like gain a position of necessarily power over the organizations they're funding. If you're just paying taxes and that keeps the hospitals going, you can't just if you just walk into the hospital, We're like, well, my taxes pay for this hospital. People are gonna be like fuck you. But if you walk in and say like no, no, no, like you guys are gonna have to close down, and I raise ten million dollars to keep you in business, They're gonna let you do whatever you want.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: That's why a lot of rich people love charity.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: That's why again, if you watch The Bone Temple, the bad guys in the Bone Temple are based on Jimmy Savell. They're traveling around doing what they call charity. This is like that. That whole movie is a critique of Thatcherism and Savill's rolling it anyway. I love that film.
Speaker 1: You're talking me into a wealth tax right now, that's what it's.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah. However, has Farrell Kenney noted in his piece for the UK Tribune Savell quote preferred small local charities over large ones with organized structures. He does a lot of charity. But again, it's mostly with these smaller orgs for a reason, because then they're totally dependent on him, and there's not going to be as much red tape, there's not going to be as much you know, people looking into what he's actually doing. And in Kenney's article, he links to a super eight video from nineteen seventy eight of Jimmy hosting a charity event for blind children. In the video, Saville receives a flower from a young blind girl and then a drawing of himself. And I'm just gonna have Sophie show you the clip and we'll describe what's happening for those of you who like, he's out in front of this facility. He's got on like this shirt that looks like a fucking what's that?
Speaker 1: It's like a game of twister.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it looks like a game of twister. I don't know how else to describe it. And yeah, there's this little blind girl, looks like she's maybe twelve, being like led up to him so she can give him this this drawing of himself.
Speaker 3: Yes, she's so pretty as well, oh.
Speaker 2: Did he say?
Speaker 4: And she's so pretty as well?
Speaker 2: And she's so pretty as well, goodness gracious, and again, you know, not necessarily upsetting unless you know what's actually going on.
Speaker 4: So icky, if he wasn't such a fucking.
Speaker 2: Pedophile, yeah, exactly. Now. At the time, the more noteworthy thing about that performance is that he takes out this photo that's been drawn of him and he jokes about it being a photo fit of the Yorkshire Ripper, right. He jokes that this drawing of him is like actually a picture of the Yorkshire Ripper, who's a serial killer that was active at the time. This is a guy who is ultimately murders more than a dozen women by the time he's caught and is actively killing people, and like the police are actively looking for him in nineteen seven eight. Now, the real Yorkshire Ripper was named Peter Sutcliffe. And again he was ultimately caught and convicted of his crimes, I think in nineteen eighty one, but that's like three years away. And what's interesting about this to me, just as a side bit, is that at the time Jimmy jokes about looking like the Yorkshire Ripper, he was an active suspect in the murders. My quote from the telegram, Savell was brought in for questioning after members of the public contacted the police naming him as a possible subject. After a body was found close to Savill's Roundey Park home, a Harley Street dentist was ordered to make a cast of Savell's teeth. Now, again, Jimmy wasn't the ripper, but it says a lot about what he was doing and how many people did try to stop him, that so many members of the public reported him as being the likely culprit that the police force, which was largely staffed by his friends, had to investigate. That's how many people think they know there's something going on that they're like, well, maybe he's maybe he's this real killer, right, Like, there's a lot people do know what's happening. And then you try to do something.
Speaker 1: He's a serial something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, wild that he's joking about it.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: That same year, nineteen seventy eight, Jimmy wrote another book, God'll Fix It, about his Catholic faith. It included these chilling lines. In my early years, I can tell you I did a lot of things that need a bit of forgiveness. I was in a business that was fraught with temptations. Temptations of the flesh are all about so in my early days, I was a great And he puts this in quotations, abuser of things and bodies and people. Okay, okay, couldn't be more clear interesting that abusers in quotation marks. I don't know what entirely he meant by that, but you know he's not as interesting Heidene. Yeah. Now, the fact that he's so public about aspects of his personal life, as we'll call it, has consequences for him. Other people do read what he's writing and read these interviews, will he'll talk about his sex life, and they get upset. Even if they don't all they don't always mark him out as a potential pedophile. They don't always realize what's happening, but they know that something is wrong. And there's also people in the pop industry who know more. Again, maybe not everything, but they know enough, They know enough other people that they know something about what's going on. One of these people is sex Pistols frontman John Lydon, who said in an interview in nineteen seventy eight, I'd like to kill Jimmy Saville. I think he's a hypocrite. I bet he's into all kinds of seediness that we all know about, but are not allowed to talk about. I know some rumors. He then added, I bet none of this will be allowed out, and it wasn't. The clip did not air with the rest of the interview. It's good for that, yeah said something.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, I mean like that guy had a lot of power and he didn't do that much with it.
Speaker 4: But like you know better than every other adults in this converse, in this entire thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, as we'll talk about you know, libel laws in the UK. A big part of why stuff like that gets cut out is Jimmy's litigious and people are scared of being sued by him. Prior to the nineteen seventy nine elections, Saffle hosted a special episode of jim Will Fix It at the Houses of Parliament, where Margaret Thatcher asked him to fix it for her to become Prime Minister. She was elected on May third of that year. Right after she took office, Thatcher had her staff at Downing Street called Jimmy quote. Her secretary rang to say she was rather upset because I hadn't been round to give her a badge. To give her her badge, I reported to Downing Street a few days later and presented it. Oh good, thank you Jimmy for Margaret Thatcher for fixing it so she got to be Prime Minister.
Speaker 4: I really hate when.
Speaker 2: A woman gets it so wrong. Oh she's it's we have barely I crashed the surface of how bad this is. Now not law. After this, jim was carrying out Jim's Daily Dozen, a series of sponsored runs through various British towns, meant his fundraisers for different causes. He asked Margaret which charity she wanted a chunk of the money he was raising to go to, and he ultimately presented her with a check for ten thousand pounds for the National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children the NSPCC. That's good Thatcher love cares deeply about the kids. Obviously, now Jimmy and Margaret would remain close friends for the remainder of Thatcher's PM ship and life. Jimmy's skill with charity was extremely convenient given Thatcher's conservative austerity politics. By the start of Thatcher's term, the National Spinal Injury Center at stoke manvill was in such bad shape that five ceilings of housing units had collapsed during a winter storm. The NHS needed additional funding for repairs, and that was very much not in the budget or in the spirit of Thatcherism. However, Stoke Mandeville is a major facility in the UK. It's like a historically important hospital, and allowing the facility to collapse would make for terrible pr Because you want to cut the budget, you want to cut quote unquote entitlements, but you don't want people to realize that they're you're taking away their health care so that rich people have more money. You really want to hide that until the latest possible moment. Savill held a meeting with Gerard Vaughan, Minister of State for Health, as Davies describes in the book for the book Endplane Sight Quote over T and K at the House of Commons, Vaughan outlined the new government's thinking on the National Health Services, a philosophy which ordained that special projects such as rebuilding work at hospitals, even such urgent work as that required at Stoke Mandival, would have to be supported by voluntary contributions, in line with the cuts in public expenditure Prime Minister Thatcher was implementing across the board. Vaughn suggested this meant they had a problem, not really, replied Saville, and they struck a deal. Savell what Jimmy Savely would lead a campaign to rebuild the spinal injuries unit at Stoke Manduvil using private money and donations. In other words, it was to be a pioneering example of the type of partnership between government and the public that the Prime Minister was so keen to promote. Now, the renovations were to cost between six and ten million pounds, as Jimmy announced it a subsequent press conference. When he was asked shouldn't the NHS just be funding this, he replied, this is the way they used to build hospitals years ago, and laid out how a simple five pound donation could pay for a brick, allowing every Briton a chance to support one of the most famous hospitals in the country. To make a long story short, it worked. Savill used his connections to wealth and fame to solicit high dollar donations, and his ability to connect with average Britons and host public runs and other fundraisers to solicit large numbers of small dollar donations. Now he does succeed in convincing Thatcher to contribute half a million pounds of public money to the cause. Right, But that means this goes from a thing that the NHS would have had to pay ten million pounds of public money to do, to something they have to pay just a half million pounds a public money to do, because he raises the other nine and a half that's needed. Once the money was raised, Saffle was fetted in a public press conference next to Prince Charles and Margaret Thatcher herself. This marks the beginning of his true climb up the rungs of power and fame in British high society. As Faro Kinney writes, the preceding years had seen Saffle work his way upwards through media elites, dance halls to radio, pop television to primetime flagship television, as well as integrating into the National Health Service. The years that followed, however, can be understood as savile, tirelessly working upwards through the British establishment, the Thatcher government, the monarchy, and an ever present relationship with the police.
Speaker 4: So do we have any evidence that Charles knows a bit?
Speaker 2: We'll talk about Charles a lot more. Don't worry, Zovie, you can come to your.
Speaker 6: Conclusion because I'm just thinking like he he got like some you know, I would guess we were not upset with him for you know, not standing in the way of his brother getting arrested for being a disgusting pedophile and he got praised for it, and so did he.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we'll talk a lot more about nearly done.
Speaker 4: No more, I'd like to know more, is what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: From the Thatcher years on, Savill was what some Royal family watchers described as a court gesture to the family. Right, that's the role he takes on socially. Savil first meets Prince Charles in nineteen seventy seven, which is the same year that he met Thatcher and Princess Diana herself later wrote that Jimmy was a mentor to the future king.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: That's Princess dies take on things that Jimmy Saville is her husband's mentor. Now, I was not at all surprised to learn that Saville and Thatcher had used each other for mutual benefit. What did surprise me is that this seems to have been a genuine friendship on Margaret's part, as in she deeply liked and appreciated this historically prolific rapist, and he seems to have enjoyed her company and considered her a safe person to joke around with. After one lunch in nineteen eighty one, Savil wrote a letter to Thatcher that included the lines, my girl, patients pretended to be madly jealous and wanted to know what you wore and what you ate. All the paralyzed lads called me Sir James all week. They all love you me too. Great. Its beautiful to see a friendship blossom. It's it's it's wonderful here.
Speaker 7: I don't like I don't like the use of me too and savile in the same center.
Speaker 2: Yeah, me too.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: A little bit about they all called me Sir James is something he includes here because as soon as he becomes friends with Thatcher, Saville starts working her to try to get a white right he's already obe The next step up is a knighthood baby, and Margaret spends like a decade fighting for this. She fights, She spends years pushing Jimmy to be a night. In nineteen eighty three, Thatcher wrote Sir Robert Armstrong, the chair of the National Honors Committee, to ask about making Savill a Knight but Sir Robert said no, and his reasoning wasn't that Jimmy was like obviously a dangerous child predator. It was that he'd just endured a minor scandal about some comments he'd made in an interview about the young girls he hung out with at his charity runs. The AIDS crisis was on fire at that point, and Sir Robert thought it was inappropriate for the government to celebrate and endorse a man who made light of premarital sex. He pointed out that the lurid details of Jimmy's sexcapades hadn't faded from public memory yet, and it would be best if mister Savill were to wait a little bit longer for the BBC quote. We were remain worried, he added. Fears a bit expressed that mister Saville might not be able to refrain from exploiting a knighthood in a way which brought the honor system into disrepute. You know, accurate, There's.
Speaker 1: No way this was a genuine friendship. They're both just empty inside and they're such climber fucking fuses the shit.
Speaker 2: She goes to bat for him, though, right, you know, which, like do any of these people have real friendships inasmuch as Thatcher ever did or Savile ever did, right, they were tightly they both very much needed each other, right.
Speaker 1: And that's like when Trump talks about having like his friends, like, you don't have one single friend on this foot.
Speaker 2: Really, but you have people you need. And it's noteworthy. The amount that Margaret goes to bat for Jimmy shows you how much she thinks she needs him. He is not just celebrity, he's kind of friendly. She is a major he's a major part of Thatcherism. But she needs him, Okay. He allows her to do a lot of the austerity shit she wants to do without seeming like she's fucking the country as much as she is, because he's keeping the lights on in some of these facilities. And in return, he gets a blind eyed turn to his molestation of hundreds and hundreds of people because he's keeping the lights on in these facilities, which allows her to fucking to the bone.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: That's Savell's role in Thatcherism, and it's a significant one, as shown by how much Margaret herself goes to bat for this guy. Now, the fact that it's great love it when Margaret Thatcher's in the story. Now, the fact that Sir Robert is worried Savell would use being knighted in order to like for his own benefit in some way that through the system into disrepute was prescient. Savile's already at this point using his fame as a charitable fundraiser to shut down investigations into his sex crimes. For the BBC, Savill persuaded the tabloids not to run stories by telling them they would be responsible for the end of his charity fundraising. Savill himself admitted in an interview people leap about. Yes, they do if he wants something because of his charitable work, right, Folks will do anything for me because of all the money I'm raising for good causes. Now, any hope of negative reporting on Savill's crimes was further dashed by his close public friendship with Thatcher. Again, this makes it harder. You're some fucking kid who's like at a juvenile fuck, like a facility or whatever because you got in trouble for something and Jimmy's molesting you and this guy's you're gonna try to report the guy who's friends with the Prime Minister. Yeah, that'll work.
Speaker 1: And one of the kid and the real family and the.
Speaker 2: Prince yeah, and the royal fucking family. In one episode of jim Will Fix It, a little girl asks to be a cop for a day at ten Downing Street, and Jimmy uses his connections to Thatcher to fix it. He gets she gets a cop uniform, and she gets like patrol around in front of the Prime Minister's residence. And when when Thatcher shows up in her limo or whatever, like, the kid gets like escortter from her car to her residence. TV viewers eat this up like it's adorable, right, But his victims, many of whom are stuck in hospitals and psychiatric wards. See this is more evidence that jim is untouchable. I found an article on the website Investigative Psychiatry that's like analyzing a bunch of different investigations several because after it all comes out how many people he was abusing, all the hospitals he volunteered at have these internal investigations into how Jimmy was allowed to abuse their patients for decades, and there's like an NHS investigation, an n SEC investigation. So this article kind of summarizing all those into investigations notes he leveraged his fame and claims of high level political friendships to intimidate those around him. He successfully made hospital staff believe he had the power to have them fired, well simultaneously coercing vulnerable patients into believing that reporting his abuse would only worsen their treatment and lead to punishment. Now he's yeah, it's great. And the fact that for an idea of how much fucking absolute impunity he has. You remember in the first couple episodes we talked about Jimmy's got this weird thing about dead bodies as a kid. It's kind of a regular like thing, like he makes some really weird statements whenever he sees like dead people that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, saw that chit get chopped up.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Let me read a quote from a BBC article I'm afraid. Doctor Sue Proctor, who chared an inquiry into Saval's actions that leads General Infirmary, said the star also had an unwholesome interest in the dead. It is alleged he posed for photographs and performed sex acts on corpses in the hospital mortuary. She also referred to Savle's claims that large rings he wore were made from the glass eyes of dead bodies at the mortuary. There's more we could say here. Jimmy's a necrophile. He's abusing dead boy. That's like bad and gross. That's kind of all we're gonna say that in these episodes. It's important you know that about him. But like we're folks, like the living people are like my primary concern obviously, like this is bad due it's just meant so bad this guy is. The necrophilia is like a side note. Also, he's doing this. It's not on the front burner in terms of like the things he's doing bad.
Speaker 5: Could you I just want you to repeat that one part about what did you say he was with?
Speaker 4: What the ring?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah what? Yeah? He had he wore he loves He's got these big rings and he would tell everybody he made comments on this publicly. They're made from like the glass eyes from dead bodies that mortuaries. That's where his rings get there, like big Gym's from. I will want to say to that, thanks man. So my interpretation of what's kind of going on behind the scenes in Jimmy Savile's head through this period is this, You've got this guy who gets his start as a hit DJ in a time when that means unlimited sexual access to teenage girls. He enjoys this for years, but he's not an idiot. He can see this isn't going to last forever. And since he doesn't really like any of his fellow DJs socially, he's got enough perspective to realize they're flirting with danger while literally flirting with children. The BBC offers him a professional escape to a world with less scrutiny and more money, just as his old colleagues start drawing attention for their behavior. And then he realizes the more big public acts of charity he does, the more good he gets in with the people running the country, and the more camouflage he gets for his behavior. And this provides him with direct access to victims in his preferred age range who can't defend themselves. And that's why he volunteers primarily at spinal wards psychiatric hospitals and as we'll talk about in our next episode, the Duncroft Approved School for girls. Okay, and that's part three.
Speaker 1: I Oh my.
Speaker 4: God, I hate this guy.
Speaker 2: Harrowing stuff, isn't it.
Speaker 1: This is the worst one I've ever done.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, this is one of the worst ones we've ever done. This guy is uh the devil, the devil himself. Really, I don't even know if.
Speaker 4: There's a word to properly describe how disgusting he is.
Speaker 2: No, No, I've.
Speaker 4: Been trying to think of one, and I'm sad a lost.
Speaker 2: He's just a fox that got let into a hen house made up of every single person in a hospital in the UK.
Speaker 6: Ah.
Speaker 1: Okay, cool, I don't even you gotta flug something sorry, Yeah, my book. Let me recover for a second. I wrote a book. It's honestly way happier than this, and there's a lot of sad in the book. It's called Girl Gone Wild and it's it's feminist, which we need after listening to this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sounds nice.
Speaker 4: Abhorrent, abhorrent. I'm just come to credit. I'm just throwing out words. Abhorous.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, obscene, I don't know, revolting.
Speaker 2: Loathsome m loathsome is a good one. Yeah, we use that word or not? Yeah, loathsome. Let's end with loathsome.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 5: Behind the Bastards is a production of cool Zone Media. For more from cool Zone Media, visit our website Cool zonemedia dot com or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts. Full video episodes that Behind the Bastards are now streaming on Netflix, dropping every Tuesday and Thursday. Remind me on Netflix so you don't miss an episode. For clips in our older episode catalog, continue to subscribe to our YouTube channel YouTube dot com slash at Behind the Bastards. We love about forty percent of you, statistically speaking,