Speaker 1: It's March seventeenth, nineteen seventy one, Saint Patrick's day. The Corleone family is sitting down to dinner with the man who brought them all together, Francis Ford Coppola. Earlier that day, every member of the newly minted cast received their first call sheet three thirty pm Patsy's Restaurant, one hundred and seventeenth Street and First Avenue. Coppola's idea was to have everyone sit down to dinner Italian family style, and Patsy's was perfect. It was a known hangout for gangsters and made men. When Gianny Russo, who'd landed the role of Carlo, reports for us first down the set, he feels right at home.
Speaker 2: So I go up a little early, Casillo Guyson, I know everybody can do a hug kissing. I go around the corner. See you had people I had to pay my respects to, and so I was so happy for you.
Speaker 3: It's so crazy.
Speaker 1: Walks into the back room where the cast is gathering.
Speaker 2: What's the first time everybody met everybody? And I'm watching next Terling Hayden, Richie County, John Mooley, He's the great actist.
Speaker 4: These they were the legends to me.
Speaker 1: Marlon Brando arrives wearing an orange cashmere turtle neckt sweater. Producer Al Ruddy described it as Christ coming down from the cross. The room falls silent. Then the world's greatest living actor cracks a joke. From that moment forward, the cast doesn't just respect Marlon Brando, they love him.
Speaker 5: The nickers Brando was like God, and I watched every Brando movie.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 1: As everyone stands around, not sure what to do with themselves, Marlon opens a bottle of wine. He takes his seat, and the rest of the cast follows suit. Robert Duval remembers how easy it was to look to Brando as a father figure.
Speaker 2: And we all sat around as if we were kind of approximating the family situation around Brando's and he was, you know.
Speaker 6: When we were young, Branda was like a godfather of actors.
Speaker 3: To this feeling, we all respect him.
Speaker 1: Coppola looks at his newly minted cast, the family he had fought so hard for, Brando at the head of the table, James Kahn on his left, Al Pacino on his right. For the first time, Coppola can feel the production coming together, just as he had envisioned it. I'm Mark Seal and I'm Nathan King, and this is leave the Gun, Take the Canoli.
Speaker 7: In today's episode, we shoot our first frame of what turns into ninety hours of film.
Speaker 1: We'll detail the day to day life on the set, including cass pranks and crew turmoil.
Speaker 7: Mark, I'm always amazed at a mid Copola's constant power struggle with executives. He was able to play the part of a strong leader with his cast.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's right. He was a great compartmentalizer. The sky is falling, people are threatening to fire him, but he has a job to do and he gets it done.
Speaker 7: So let's back up. The cast meeting wasn't really the first step in filming, which is what we're getting into in today's episode.
Speaker 1: No, I'd say it was the creative production meeting that started it all, which Coppola had called for a few months.
Speaker 7: Earlier January twenty fifth, nineteen seventy one.
Speaker 1: That's right. He invited the production team together to establish the visual style of the film. I first heard about this meeting from Dean Tabalis, the film's production designer.
Speaker 3: That two three hour meeting cemented the colicto of film.
Speaker 1: And I emailed Francis Coppola about the meeting, just asking if he could tell me more about it, and he said, I'll do one better. I'll send you the transcript from the meeting, which was incredible because you can really see the workings of a film and progress and a vision he had for so many things in the movie that actually came to pass.
Speaker 3: And he had a recorded He had a stenographer, a court stenographer with a little type machine that a courttenographer has.
Speaker 7: And this is the transcript right here. This is massive, that's right.
Speaker 1: It's eighty four single space pages written on what seems to be a manual typewriter.
Speaker 7: So tell me about this meeting. Mark, We've got Coppola, Tavalaris, a court stenographer.
Speaker 1: Who else is there, Well, it's Gordon Willis, cinematographer and the great Anahill Johnstone.
Speaker 7: Tell me about Gordon Willis. He was a bit of a legend, right.
Speaker 1: He sure was. Gordon Willis was an esteemed cinematographer, called him the Prince of darkness. He liked shooting his shadows.
Speaker 7: Gordon and Francis had a bit of animosity between them, didn't they.
Speaker 1: Well they would later, But at this meeting they were very much on the same page.
Speaker 7: Okay, what about Dean Tavalius.
Speaker 1: Tavalius is great, He's a longtime production designer, artistic designer, and artist himself. I got to know Dean quite a bit, and I was able to even visit him in Paris not too long ago. And he found so many of the classic locations and the Godfather, as he told me for the book, he spent a lot of time looking for places to kill people. And then we have costume designer Anahill Johnstone, who got her start on Broadway and made a name for herself on movies like On the Waterfront and East of Eden.
Speaker 7: Coppola is the youngest in the group right.
Speaker 1: And at least for now, he's the group's undisputed leader.
Speaker 7: Okay, let's crack this transcript open. How does the meeting start?
Speaker 1: Well? At first, Coppola sets his intentions. He wants to have a freewheeling discussion and take the script seen by scene. He had his vision for the film. He did not want to make a traditional gangster movie. Here's Dean Tabalius again.
Speaker 3: He wanted to show them as human, see the human side, the family side of their lives. The ironic thing of them loving their children and then turning around and committing terrible crimes and brutal mergers.
Speaker 7: And what about the look of the film.
Speaker 1: Well, in the production meeting transcript, you know, they go back and forth and one word kept jumping out, and that was operatic. Both Tabalairas and Kappola seemed to use that word a lot, this.
Speaker 3: Dark operatic image where the camera is fixed and things come into the frame and things sleep the frame, but the camera doesn't cut that much, it doesn't pan that much.
Speaker 7: You can really see that fixed camera technique in the film. So tell us a little bit more about the production meeting, because they go over a lot. They talk about every detail of the wedding, from the wine that's going to be served to the wait staff. They talk about costumes at length. Take us through some of what they go over.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's pretty amazing because so many things, so many of the classic scenes that you remember from the movie were first outlined in this production meeting. They talk about the bridge, which bridge should we use, Where Michael's going to meet Salazzo in the Corrupt Police Captain, you know, where the Dawn is hospitalized after getting shot, which hospital should we use even the wedding, of course, was a major thing that Coppola talked about quite a bit. He wanted the wedding to be like the weddings that he had gone to in his youth, or you know that he was going to even now at the time when he was still a young man, of course, where everybody's talking all at once. Johnstone would say, do you think ten waiters would be enough for the wedding, and Kapala said, no, we're not gonna There's no waiters at an Italian American wedding. They didn't have that. The women would do it. The sandwiches would be ordered from a place on Ninth Avenue, and people would bring in their own food. Everything was done homemade and natural, and so that was the key to this incredible scene.
Speaker 7: He was adamant in the meeting that they not overformalize it. He said the only people in formal attire would be the wedding party, and that kids would wear their confirmation clothes and everyone else would wear their Sunday dresses and outfits. But it wouldn't be too buttoned up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he said, he's going to try to make the wedding an experience instead of a scene, take the dialogue out of it and immerse the audience with hundreds and hundreds of details.
Speaker 7: They also talk a lot about how the wedding will be juxtaposed with the setting inside the house in the Don's office.
Speaker 1: So here's where the prince of darkness comes in. The cinematographer Gordon Willis. He uses the shadows to show the darkness of the Don's office as juxtaposed against the bright lights in the sunny scene of the wedding where Johnny Fonteyne comes in and sings a song and everybody's happy in dancing.
Speaker 7: It's amazing how granular they get. At one point in the meeting, they're talking about Tom Hagen's flight to Los Angeles and the type of airplane he would fly on, and they decide it's going to be a nineteen forty six Lockheed Constellation because that's the type of airplane that would make that Transamerican flight in those days in the late forties.
Speaker 1: They debate the pros and cons of that plane, you know, and that plane is only on the screen for a second. You know, it lands, and then you see Tom walking into the Walt studios. So there's a million little details in this film that they discussed in this production meeting, and I think that's where the magic of this film was born. Obviously in the script as well, but once this script was done, then they had to hammer out all these other details that were in this meeting.
Speaker 7: One of the most visually lush parts of the film is Jack Waltz's house in Beverly Hills. What did they say about that in the meeting?
Speaker 1: Copla says this in the meeting, you know, I like the idea of Tom with a big shot where you can't even sit down with him. You have to catch in between other things. Talk to me while I'm walking and talking kind of thing that really puts Tom in second place.
Speaker 7: They go into great detail about the fake blood with corn syrup to give it the right viscosity.
Speaker 1: Coppola said, blood never looks right to me in a movie, you know, and he wanted this blood to look real. And Coppola said in the meeting, why don't we use real blood? Twenty gallons of animal blood. Any butcher can give you some blood, and Taboalius points out real blood coagulates, so you can't use real blood. They had to mix their own blood.
Speaker 7: It's funny because reading the transcript you get a sense of harmony and that they're all excited about working together and they share a lot of the same ideas or could come to agree on a lot of these things. But it doesn't betray what's going to come.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're all on the same page and you can see the back and forth. It goes on for some time. I mean they only get halfway through the script and then Copple of calls it a night, says we'll get together again, and then there's no more transcript. This is the only one that exists.
Speaker 7: Do you think they ever gotten together again?
Speaker 1: I don't think so, or they would have a transcript of it. So this is the only kind of window you have as far as some of these artistic and creative decisions were made.
Speaker 7: Mark, You're right about the filming process with such detail in your book. You have scenes pinned down the day of shooting. What was your research process like?
Speaker 1: Well, luck counts for a lot of it, and I was very lucky that we have a day to day accounting of filming from none other than Coppola's than assistant Ara Zuckerman. He wrote The Godfather Journal, which is a short but very detailed accounting of the shooting of the film.
Speaker 7: Well, let's get into it. For starters, we know that the cast of the Godfather had a lot of fun on set.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they sure did, and it started right away. James con told me a great story about riding home from that first cast dinner at Patsy's with Robert Duball when suddenly Brando's car pulls up to them.
Speaker 2: So we're coming back down Second Avenue and Brando was in the in the backseat of a station wagon. He goes, come on, moon them, we're going that second Avenue. I go crazy.
Speaker 8: I don't do that.
Speaker 3: You're the king of that.
Speaker 9: He's I can't.
Speaker 5: I'm in a bad spot, you know, He's come on, now he's starting. You go to do this, it'd be funny. So I'd pull up next to the red of well By wind and down. I just sticked my ass up and think, this is the first day he's met us.
Speaker 2: Just started falling down and we ran away, you know, cry, laughing, you know.
Speaker 1: So that was the first boon of my life. Yeah, and that first moon really set the tone for the shooting. The cast was constantly pulling pranks on each other, and this really made everyone feel comfortable from the start. Have you ever mooned anybody?
Speaker 7: Probably when I was a kid. Yeah, time, and did that culture of camaraderie last It seems like it did.
Speaker 1: With the cast for sure. With the crew, well, not so much. There was a lot of turmoil behind the scenes.
Speaker 7: Coppola has repeatedly called the godfather of the most miserable time in his life. Was it just the micromanaging?
Speaker 1: It was micromanaging to an extreme degree. Robert Evans was under control Coppola's moves from across the country. Just weeks before filming starts, Coppola is finalizing locations, meeting with his creative team, making last minute script revisions, coordinating lighting and makeup tests, and Robert Evans is sending him these memos, just picking apart every decision he makes. Nathan, maybe you can read this particularly scathing memo sent on March fifth, just eighteen days before filming is set to begin.
Speaker 7: Sure I can do that, Evan said, quote. Feel that the character of Sonny is not nearly as flamboyant and exciting as in the book. The sexuality that everyone remembers is totally missing in the script. I think that the size of his cock and the horses head are the two most remembered scenes from the book, and the former is so lacking that I think we would be criticized for not doing more with Sonny.
Speaker 1: Yes, and this goes on and on a few more excerpts. Who's going to play Mamma Corleone? Fredo's casting? I'm not sure I'm satisfied. Are you sure the picture can be cut with a straightforward story if you decide not to go with flash forwards?
Speaker 7: And Copla is still living in an apartment with his entire family at this point, right.
Speaker 1: Yes, And apparently it's being painted, so are rigs of paint fumes. He described that time as going to war every morning. And once again, it's a miracle that this movie got made.
Speaker 7: But somehow filming begins on March twenty third, nineteen seventy one.
Speaker 1: What was the first scene? Mark the first scene? Christmas in springtime at Best in Company, the department store on Fifth Avenue. The story had conveniently shuttered the year before, and so it had been restored to its nineteen forties glory for filming and in keeping with his ability to make miracles, happen. The amazing already makes it snow.
Speaker 7: He's fresh off of being fired and rehired by Charlie Bludorn.
Speaker 1: Right, yes, but that doesn't stop Ourready he brings in snow machines, and when the temperatures r is too high for them to work, he turns to Plan B synthetic snow and wind machines to create the magical scene of Kay and Michael walking out of the store amid a swirl of fake snow, and then the crew moves through the city, landing at Radio City Music Hall, where Michael and Kay are leaving a movie and about to find out the terrible news.
Speaker 7: Would you like me better for were Ingrid Bergmann?
Speaker 1: Now that's a thought, thank him, No, I would not like your better. F Equid Burbons and these scenes are all coming together to create the iconic montage that ends with the attempt on the Don's life.
Speaker 7: It seems like this first day should be a triumph, but Copola doesn't feel that way, does he.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 1: Unfortunately, all anyone can seem to see is Coppola's shortcomings, and it really is getting to him. He's having nightmares about being fired and he's getting more and more paranoid.
Speaker 7: Do you think that paranoia is justified?
Speaker 1: I really do. The studio essentially sent a spy to keep watch over him, a Paramount finance guy named Jack Ballard. Here's how great Frederickson remembers Jack.
Speaker 3: He was like a.
Speaker 10: Tough rough speaking kind of a fast, scared everybody.
Speaker 7: He sounds like a cartoon villain.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, I wasn't able to talk to Jack Ballard, he had passed away years before. But Tacappola he was. And here's what he had to say about Jack Ballard.
Speaker 11: Jack Ballard was hired basically by Robert Evans to be there on the set and to haunt me and to constantly be challenging my decisions and telling me what I could do or not do. And and he was the enforcer, as it were, for Paramount, and he was it was it was. He knew about classical film production, but he had no idea of what I was trying to do.
Speaker 1: So, as Ira Zuckerman wrote in his book, Ballard's task was to keep an eye on the day to day production planning, scheduling, and shooting, and to immediately advise Paramount on any budget overruns.
Speaker 7: Even with Jack Bauard reporting back to Evans. Every day, shooting must go on. Let's transition to the restaurant shooting scene if we can. This is really a turning point for Michael as he goes from college boy to his father's successor. And it's also a turning point for al Pacino, isn't it.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, that's right. I mean the restaurant's scene. It's so much going on. It's a turning point both in the movie and it's a turning point for al Pacino in real life on the set, because he's really struggling with his confidence. Like Coppole, he thinks he's on the verge of being fired. He later said they only hired him because they liked his performance in the Panic of Needle Park, which hadn't yet been released. But so far the Paramount execs don't like what they're seeing.
Speaker 7: So what changed.
Speaker 1: Well, Coppler really encouraged him, and when the time came, Paccino steps up to the plate and hits a home run.
Speaker 9: What I want.
Speaker 1: What's most important to me?
Speaker 10: Said, I have a guarantee no more attempts on my father's life.
Speaker 7: It really is a magical scene.
Speaker 1: I have to go to the bathroom.
Speaker 9: Is that all right?
Speaker 1: Not only is al Pacino's performance incredible, but the visual and the sonic elements all come together so perfectly. You know, a huge amount of preparation went into the scene. Here's koppland that interview about his prompt book.
Speaker 9: Scene twenty six, Michael picked up by Salazzo in the killing parenthesis key scene the core to show the killing as terrifying and explicitly as possible, having taken attention to an unbearable degree to further define Michael's character in regards to his cool, totally calm execution of these men.
Speaker 7: But even that scene was an immune to the disasters that seemed to follow filming. Ira Zuckerman writes that just as al Pacino is leaving the restaurant to jump onto the getaway car, he leaps onto the side of the car and injures his ankle.
Speaker 1: He's rushed to the emergency room, and he'd later say I thought it was a sign from God that now was injured and they would have to release me.
Speaker 7: It feels symbolic that right when things start going well, they shoot this iconic scene and disaster strikes again.
Speaker 1: Absolutely like in the movies. As they say, it's got to be one thing after another. Pacino has a sprain ligament, but the show's got to go on. Brando is due on the set the next morning for his first scene as the Don, and the execs a paramount are anxious to see if the fading star can deliver.
Speaker 7: Does Copla feel responsible for him because he pushed so hard to have him as Don Corleone?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I'm sure he did. He's truly under a microscope and he really needs Brando to come through and deliver an amazing performance.
Speaker 7: So what happens?
Speaker 1: Well, Brando's flight from La lands in New York City at six am, and Brando's not on it.
Speaker 7: He missed his flight and Coppola is fuming. But Brando eventually makes it to set. And when he does, how does his first scene go?
Speaker 1: Well, it went pretty well because all he has to do is lay in a hospital bed. But apparently it was a great for morale. The cast crew and even the staff at the hospital were so excited to have the greatest living actor among them.
Speaker 7: Well, that excitement follows the film all the way to Little Italy, right.
Speaker 1: It sure does. Pretty Soon the crew descends into the center of Italian American culture in New York City, and the word is out the Godfathers in the neighborhood. Nicholas Peleggi was a reporter back then and he was working on a story about the movie for the New York Times magazine. He was the only reporter allowed on the set. And here's how he described the scene.
Speaker 6: It was security at both ends of the block, the stuff traffic. I you know, it's a very close neighborhood. These are five six story tediments. Everybody has been living in those tediments the last thirty years, and most of their parents looked at those tediments buck in nineteen King they know the world and they know it. The white guys and the lobsters, and I mean they were all they were all still there at the depleted Carlo Gamvidio.
Speaker 7: So we mentioned Carlo Gambino. Were mobsters on set?
Speaker 1: Apparently? Yes, they were shooting scene where the Don is shot by the fruit stand and Fredo's fumbling with the gun and a crowd of locals form with so called wise guys Pepper through the crowd.
Speaker 7: And Marlon Brando knows he's playing to an audience. He sort of hams it up.
Speaker 6: The oneness shot is going to cut. How he starts to get up, he hears this roar of applause. It must have reminded him of when he was in the theater. It was such a moving thing to be and when he sits up, files just like a theater out of the wood.
Speaker 1: Every time Cofflo would yell cut, Brando would harken back to his theater days, take off his hat and take a deep bow before the crowd, which would obviously roar with applause. What about Gambino, Well, according to Nicholas Pelegi, Gambino came to the neighborhood on the day of shooting and held a court at a coffee shop nearby. Can you believe it? I mean, Gambino, this is really fact meeting fiction.
Speaker 7: Don Corleone is at least partially based on Carlo Gambino. Right, so it's sort of amazing that he found his way to the neighborhood on the day of shooting.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't think it's a coincidence. Nick said that after conducting his business, he popped around the corner and watched a bit of the shooting.
Speaker 6: But a real gun bathera why's the gun Baba?
Speaker 7: So do things ever turned around for Coppola? At some point even Jack Ballard has to admit they're seeing a real masterpiece unfold.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm not sure Jack Ballard ever comes around. In fact, a month into shooting, things are more tense than ever.
Speaker 7: What's going on?
Speaker 1: Well, Coppola is running further and further behind schedule, and according to Greg Frederickson, he's under siege.
Speaker 10: He was consumed was taking us down press out of the Gray.
Speaker 1: Apparently would hear Jack on the phone with Evans reporting every time shooting went long or went over budget, and it always is in Hollywood.
Speaker 7: And there was particular contention with the scene of the Don in his office.
Speaker 1: Yes, apparently there was a hunt. You're a one thousand dollars spent on that office set in the Don's office, And when the execs saw the dailies, they did not like what they saw.
Speaker 10: Gordon Loose shot everything's so dark. They were used to rock huts. The doors day they right take the colored goovie and all of a sudden they had this sort of CPI of gold looked dark goovie and they couldn't even see the set that they spent so much money on for the ten thousand dollars disk plus Brando it picked up a cat.
Speaker 7: The cat, of course, is iconic now Don cor Leone pets him throughout the opening scene, but that was a total accident. It was a stray cat that wandered onto the soundstage, and apparently when Marlon Brando picked up the cat, it was purring right into his microphone, which only made things worse.
Speaker 10: So the cat was purring into the night.
Speaker 11: He was speaking.
Speaker 10: It was his first day and he had that impred in his mouth, so he couldn't speak very good. So it was bumbling with a cat purring kind of scenes. It was so dark that no one could see and they said, we'll finished.
Speaker 4: This is over.
Speaker 10: Jarget ris.
Speaker 7: The most memorable things about that scene are the darkness, Brando's voice, and the cat. But it seems like those were the things the executive thought would be the movie's downfall.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the studio just didn't see Coppola's vision. In fact, there was believed to be an effort between Jack Ballard and Coppola's assistant director Steve Kesten to have Coppola fired and replaced with the editor Aaron Obakian, who by the way, Coppola had actually hired for the movie.
Speaker 7: Do you think any of this was justified?
Speaker 1: Well, you know, Coppola was having arguments with this cinematographer, Gordon Willis, and apparently in the beginning it was really very tough to understand Brando's mumbling, But of course Francis insisted he needed more time.
Speaker 7: Does he know about the plot against him?
Speaker 1: Is really fast on a movie set, right, especially bad news? Kafla decided to strike first and fire six of the conspirators at once, the.
Speaker 10: Assessor, director, catch structure provisor Arab and his crew Franks as fireable.
Speaker 7: And how does Robert Evans respond to all of this?
Speaker 1: Robert Evans claimed that he had no idea about the mutiny on the set. He claimed instead that he spent an entire weekend editing together the scene of Michael shooting Salazzo and McCluskey in the restaurant.
Speaker 3: And if I'm seeing edited together, I realized that I'm doing with a brief guy.
Speaker 7: So conveniently, once Evans is behind the editing, it's coming together brilliantly. Well, of course, so with Evans suddenly behind him, do things turn around for Coppola?
Speaker 1: Well, he does have a brief moment of glory. Charlie Bludorn takes him and his father to the Palm, his favorite restaurant in New York. They order stay and they order lobster, and according to Koppla, at least they're best friends from this point forward.
Speaker 7: So Copla is riding high. What's next on the shooting schedule?
Speaker 1: Another killing, of course, this time the victim is that cutthroat Polygtto. Polygtto picks up Clemenza at his home and they're supposedly going shopping for mattresses for the war that's about to begin, and Clemenza's wife yells from the stoop, don't forget the canoli, and they drive out to what turns out to be a desolate road in the middle of nowhere, with the Statue of Liberty looming in the background. The Statue of Liberties. Back to the scene that's about to unfold. Clemenza gets out of the car to take a leak. Pol Gotto is shot from behind, slumped over the steering wheel. Clemenza zips up his pants, comes over to the car and tells the driver leave the gun, take the canoli.
Speaker 7: Do you think they knew that the scene was going to play so well when they filmed it.
Speaker 1: Well, I think they knew it was going to turn out to be a great scene, but they didn't know about that line, leave the gun, take the Canoli, which turned out to be one of the great lines in the film, totally a lived by Richard Castellano as Clemenza. So it turned out to be a lot more than they expected, I'm sure.
Speaker 7: And then we move on to the wedding mark. The wedding scene was always more than a wedding, right.
Speaker 1: Well, the wedding scene that opened the movie would show all the themes that Coppola wanted to explore in the movie. It would set the stage for all the things that were coming. It would show that the Mob was more than brute forests and bloody fights. It would show that its fathers and sons and aunts and uncles and cousins. It would show that the Mob is made up of families. And what could be more family than an Italian American wedding.
Speaker 7: And let's talk about the location, because there was some trouble locking down the Staten Island compound.
Speaker 1: Yes, there was, as always trouble. It was actually a few houses adjacent to each other to give the look of a compound, and one of the homeowners was holding out. According to al Ruddy, they had to call in a favor from the production's new guardian, angel Joe Colombo.
Speaker 12: And then I said, look, miss already, you don't understand. I worked my whole life and I've saved my whole life out to buying this house. And I don't like what you want to do with my home because I've want the home of a gangster. So I looked at Jones, Jose it's going to be the fun sign a fucking Jose's it's good for our people. He said, it's good for our people, and he did, are you kidding? The pennelmus went through the.
Speaker 7: Paper, and of course the wedding scene gives us Johnny Fontaine crying to the Godfather and the iconic slap.
Speaker 1: Which takes us to the classic scene of the producer Jack Woltz waking up to buyd a horse's head and his bad.
Speaker 7: And Copola gave us some insight into his thinking on acquiring the horse's head.
Speaker 11: Personally, I would not kill any living creature for a movie. It's not in my philosophy. And my personal conviction, I don't believe movies are something that any creature, even a fly, should be hurt. In order to do it.
Speaker 1: It was very controversial, but they came up with a really creative plan to acquire this horse's head, which had to be fresh.
Speaker 11: Yes, that was a real horse's head. But the way we did it is we went to a dog food company. With all the animal lovers who feed their little dogs and cats pet food have to Maybe they don't realize it, but the pet food is very often made from horse meat because when the horses are so they go as a main ingredient in pet food. So we went to one of those companies and they of course had a whole bunch of horses, and we chose a horse that looked like the real horse in the movie, was the same coloring and had a unique marking. So we chose the horse to be like the horse that was in the pet food coming. We asked the pet food company to not kill that horse until we said, okay, it's time to do that, and then we wanted the head.
Speaker 7: I don't even know what to say about this. It's such an outrageous thing.
Speaker 1: Mark.
Speaker 7: Do you think that they would have done something like this today.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't know if people today would be that adamant to find a real horse's head. Maybe they would be able to do it with animatronics or something like that. I mean, would you really have to go and find a real horse's head to put in the bed? I think you could find a lot of ways to do it today. But you can't deny that it was one of them most effective and bloody scenes in the movie, truly.
Speaker 7: So Copla finally quells the mutiny, but things aren't going much better for him, right.
Speaker 11: Not at all.
Speaker 1: Jack Ballard still breathing down his neck, And now Coppola and his cinematographer Gordon Willis are going at it.
Speaker 7: And the root of their disagreements comes from the fact that Copola wanted to work too quickly for Willis.
Speaker 1: Well, Coppola and Willis drove each other crazy. One day Coppola wants to go handheld, the next he wants a thousand millimeter Lyns. So they went back and forth on a lot of things.
Speaker 7: And amid the turmoil, Copola's wife Eleanor has a baby right right.
Speaker 1: In the middle of filming. Sophia Coppola is born. She would of course later become a director, but first she would become an actress, and her first role as an infant is in The Godfather.
Speaker 7: At just three weeks old, Sophia Copla appears in the baptism scene in Saint Patrick's Old Cathedral, playing the son of Connie and Carlo Rizzy.
Speaker 1: A huge talent from day one.
Speaker 7: Let's move on to the succession scene, because there's quite a story here, yes.
Speaker 1: And the succession scene wasn't even written yet. There's no succession scene in Mario Puzo's book, but Coppola thought it would be a really important thing to show the transfer of power.
Speaker 7: Why did they have such difficulty with this scene?
Speaker 1: Coppola felt he needed some help. I mean, he's directing this movie. There are a thousand things happening, and he wisely tapped Robert Town, who was one of the great legendary screenwriters of Hollywood. He was still a young man at that point and still early in his career. And so Robert Town told me for the book that he gets a call in his house one day in la and Coppola is on the phone asking him to come to New York to write this scene. Takes his typewriter, flies to New York, stays in Buck Henry's apartment, and here's how Robert Town remembers it as it happened.
Speaker 4: I had one night to write the scene. I had no idea what to do, but I remember looking, do you remember.
Speaker 3: The book The Godfather? The cover of it.
Speaker 12: Yeah, of course.
Speaker 1: And he stays up all night and he's looking at the cover of the novel and he sees those puppet strings, you know, dangling down on the novel's cover.
Speaker 4: I remember looking at it, at the book cover and thinking that's a possibility.
Speaker 1: All of a sudden, maybe at four am or whatever, these words come to him. I went my own life.
Speaker 13: I don't apologize to think care of my family, and I refused to be a fool dancing on a string. Have I all those big shots.
Speaker 1: A couple of picks up Town at buck Henry's apartment really early the next morning.
Speaker 4: He didn't say much, and I didn't say anything, and Practice finally about halfway there, said any luck, I said, well, I think so. I gave him the script and he read it.
Speaker 11: He liked it.
Speaker 1: Copla nods and he says, you show it Tomorrowlin and Robert Town went, what you mean, I have to present this tomorrow and Brando and he said, yeah, yeah, show it tomorrow and takes it to Marrowlin on the set. Apparently he loved it as everyone else did. It's one of the great scenes in American cinema history.
Speaker 4: At the end of the today shooting with Tomorrowland turned to me said who the fuck are you and I said, yeah, nobody really.
Speaker 9: I thought that.
Speaker 13: When it was your time that did you would be the one of all the strings. Senator go on, governor going on.
Speaker 11: So we'll get that, we'll get that.
Speaker 1: So great that when Coppla won the Oscar for screenwriting, he thanked Robert Town for this scene. And the interesting thing is the scene was written on Q cards for Brando, as were many other scenes, and you could see them holding up the Q cards for this scene in some of the classic pictures from the shooting of the movie.
Speaker 7: Because at this point in his career he had trouble memorizing his line.
Speaker 1: Right right, so he had Q cards for a lot of these things, including this succession scene.
Speaker 7: Let's fast forward to June twenty eighth, nineteen seventy one. It's the sixty sixth day of filming in New York, and Coppola is about to shoot a love scene at the Saint Regis Hotel.
Speaker 1: Yes, and just a few blocks away in Columbus Circle, the Italian American Civil Rights League is hosting its second annual Unity Day. The lineup includes bb King, Frankie Valley in The Four Seasons, Sammy Davis Junior, and of course the headliner Joe Colombo.
Speaker 7: And now Ruddy had planned to attend right.
Speaker 1: Yes, but the night before the rally he received a call.
Speaker 8: Has been on the dais sitting next to Joe Columbo when he was shot?
Speaker 12: Okay, and I was told not to.
Speaker 8: Be there that day, not asking me not to be there under no circumstances. You to be a Columbus Circle tomorrow sitting next to Joe Columbu and the phonecos clicked death.
Speaker 1: No one from the movie attended the rally, and it's probably best that they did not, because at eleven forty five am, Joe Colombo is walking through the crowd when he's approached by a man who appears to be a press photographer. The man crouches down, but he's not pointing a camera anymore. Instead, he points a pistol at Colombo and fires three times in the St. Regis Hotel a few blocks away. Coppola is watching this scene play out on the news, and in that instance, the mob and the movie makers become one. Filming in New York ends days later on July. Tewod as Joe Colombo anguishes in a coma at Roosevelt Hospital, but filming isn't truly over because they still have a few pivotal scenes to shoot. For those, the crew needs to head to the birthplace of the Mafia sicily, Leave the Gun, Take the Canoli. As a production of Airmail and iHeartMedia.
Speaker 7: The podcast is based on the book of the same name, written by our very own Mark Seal.
Speaker 1: Our producer is Tina Mullen.
Speaker 7: Research assistance by Jack Sullivan.
Speaker 1: Jonathan Dressler was our development producer.
Speaker 7: Our music supervisor is Randall Poster. Our executive producers are Meet Nathan King, Mark Seal, Doan Fagan, and Graydon Carter.
Speaker 1: Special thanks to Bridget Arseno and everyone at CDM Studios.
Speaker 7: Comprehensive list of sources and acknowledgments can be found in Mark Sieal's book, Leave the Gun, Take the Canolli, published by gallery Books. An imprint of Simon and Schuster