Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: It's sort of easier to recognize that the regime is changing than to understand what it will change into. But if you think about all those things I mentioned there, which is you know, globalization, the sort of frictionless movement of capital and labor and supply chains, I think those things are going into reverse. And as they go into reverse, it introduces more friction into the system. It requires, you know, national interest to be put at the sort of top of the priority list for governments. I think we're all going to get used to the idea of America first by British, by Canadian. The Italians have got their own version of it. And these things are going to require more capital to be deployed at home. There's more sort of you know, more demand on the physical constraints of the world, which gives rise to produce supplicce inflation. All of these things are sort of more friction probably stick here inflation.
Speaker 1: Welcome to Marrin Talks Money, the podcast in which people who know the markets explain the markets. I am Maren Sumset Web and this week I'm speaking with Ed Cole. Ed is head of Multi Strategy equities within solutions at Man Group and was lost on the show back in April twenty twenty five, then we spoke about the great rotation and why at the time Chinese stocks looked like pretty good investments. Well Ed is back, and on today's show we talk about what we talk about everything. We talk about AI bubble or not bubble? Is it evaluation bubble? Is it an earnings bubble? Or is it really absolutely fine? We talk about Japan, we talk about small gaps, We talk about the end of the sixty forty portfolio and how you should diversify from here, and we finish up with a really good sounding book for you to take to the beach. Ed welcome back to Marion Talks Money. Thank you very much for coming on again.
Speaker 2: Thanks for having me, Maren, great pleasure to be here.
Speaker 1: Last time we spoke, we talked at length about the end of American exceptionalism. We talked about how we expected other markets to outperform, or at least to perform better than the US.
Speaker 3: Let me talk abou something link about.
Speaker 1: Chinese equities and you know how they looked attractive and where investors should look at the moment.
Speaker 3: A lot has happened since then.
Speaker 1: We last spoke before, before the war in the Middle East, before the Great Ai Bubble really got going, and a few other little bits and bobs have happened since then. So when do it' we saut with an update, We're how are you feeling now about our previous conversation about American acceptionalism, about the great rotation out of the US.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm marked my own homework actually in advance of this. So it was a thank you little more than a year ago that we spoke, and it was it's always a little gall lings after go back and listen to yourself as a starting point, and then listen to yourself and recognize the extent to which you've probably got things wrong. I was a bit surprised that some of what I said has actually played out reasonably well. I think you and I were probably both on the same page that nothing's particularly exceptional other than hype cycles, and we're certainly in a hype cycle now. But just looking back over sort of fifty two weeks of returns, and I've put all this in constant currency, so the S and P and the mag seven, which is I guess what people think of as exceptional are both up about twenty percent in the last twelve months. European dollars is up about eighteen so that bit didn't really work out particularly well. Amazingly, inside the US, the Russell two thousand, which is the small cap index or small and MidCap has a bit more of a value tilt, is up thirty eight percent. For all that exceptionalism and all of that apparent leadership by the tech tech giants, it's actually been more cyclical, more value UI smaller cap companies that have not just outperformed, but outperformed materially.
Speaker 3: I think we did. We did talk about that, didn't we.
Speaker 1: We did think that part of the rotation would be in TV smaller cap value names, not just in the US but everywhere.
Speaker 2: Yes, but everywhere exactly. And then the other extraordinary one, a couple of other extraordinary ones, is that the emerging markets have had a phenomenal year in many ways, driven by the same thing that occupies the headlines everywhere in the world. So emerging market's up nearly fifty percent over the last twelve months.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I think we have to stop and talk about that briefly before we move on and say that that is not emerging markets that have got absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with emerging markets. That is three giant companies in Taiwan and Korea, and we've talked about that on this pod quite a lot to say, you know, if you want emerging markets exposure, do not buy an emerging markets index because you're going to get an AI momentum.
Speaker 2: Trade absolutely fair. And of course, you know, EM has always been in many ways the factory for what the developed world is con huming. And you know, the monetizing AI is still really a developed world story. And of course those three companies are the picks and shovels that are manufacturing what it is that the Western world needs to consume for this particular growth cycle. The other surprising bit in it, though, is that on shore Chinese equities there's been a massive bifurcation between offshore Chinese equities and on shore Chinese equities. On Shore Chinese equities are really interesting market because they're super super deep and super broad and quite lots of inefficiency, lots of opportunity to route out on shore China. Chinese equities are up nearly thirty percent in dollars over the last year, so You're absolutely right in index terms, in em there's something very much going on amongst those big semiconductor names in both memory and logic. But below the hood there are many other stories going on as well. So I think we could probably take a step. I'm going to sort of probably mark my scorecard as could do better altogether. Not terrible, not terrible at all, But I think that and I think probably we also talked about golden Bitcoin, we might come from.
Speaker 3: Yes, it would definitely come back to that.
Speaker 2: But I look, I think I suppose, on the one hand, in sort of scores, it looks as though there has been some rotation. On the other hand, in terms of narrative, America probably would be patting itself on the back for looking more exceptional than ever in terms of having the companies that are absolutely at the tip of the spear in what's going on in AI and AI monetization and you know, and there's a question mark in all of that, which I'm sure going to get onto about how sustainability all is.
Speaker 1: Well, why don't we start with that, Well, actually we've started already. Why don't we move on to the AI hype cycle and how that is going? I mean, we're talking in a very volatile week twenty fourth of guine by the way, and so there's been quite quite a lot going on. Tuesday this week was a lightly mad day with all sorts of movements in tech and the cost of the Korean index down nearly ten percent in one day because of the again, because of these big AI and ms. Do you think we are reaching the top of the hype cycle? We're getting to the bit where everyone saying, okay AI is great. We get that there's a marvelous technology. It can do fabulous things for us, but nonetheless it needs to be monetized, and that path is slightly less certain in particularly in terms of the volumes required. It's slightly less certain than we thought. We've seen quite a lot of companies begin to talk about something we've discussed on this podcast quite a lot, which is saying, well, is there a cheaper way to do this and looking at some of the open source models that they can run on their own computers and owned networks without recourse to the big expensive companies, et cetera.
Speaker 2: But I suppose I hesitate to say yes, we're at the top. It's incredibly hard to know it will be hard to know in some ways until we're quite a long way away from the top, because tops are typically quite noisy. If I stack a step back, i'm I'm my glass is half empty as a person, which is both good and bad in this business. But I think that if I just sort of forced myself a little bit to listen to the other side, I would tend to agree with you in sorts of hype cycle or bubble if I take a step back and listen to the other side. And we have quite lively debates in my company about this, the bulls will say right now that actually the market's derated this year. You know, the earnings revisions have been so extreme, and I've been extreme everywhere. It hasn't just been an AI story. You've seen it even in the Russell two thousand that I talked about enormous earnings revisions. On the positive side, that there is something going on in terms of a strong economy, and clearly the hype that we see in AI is this is the ball argument justified by what's happened in terms of earnings revisions. So unlike other bubbles, you can look at this right now today and say the market is not that expensive if the earnings estimates come through. That's something we talked about a year ago, you and I. If the owning estimates come through, then the market doesn't look expensive. Now I would take a step back and say, and I think this gets exactly to your point about monetization. I would take a step back and say that those earnings revisions today are predicated on an earnings estimates rather today are predicated on an assumption that compute is scarce, and that if you are an Asian semiconductive manufacturing company, your capacity to keep your price moving in a world where it previously was very deflationary is high, and therefore both volume and price are in your favor. And that's a phenomenal environment to be selling the hardware that people need. If we discover that compute is not scarce, then I think the picture will change pretty materially. Now, why would compute not be scarce? So I think the first thing is even alluded to. It is actually an understanding that perhaps you just don't need these leading edge llms to perform the kind of tasks that we're performing. You know, we use AI to an enormous extent at work. We have you know, kind of coding co pilots all of us can use and it's incredibly powerful. But actually, as a portfolio manager rather than a courant developer, I don't need to use the leading edge models. It's absolutely clear, and so you can do a very simple tweak which is just say, well, let's start moving away from the leading edge so we don't have to use take up all of that capacity in the most expensive part of the stack. So that's one which is just not using the leading edge. The other is perhaps not using the llms at all, so small language models ways of actually dealing with discrete tasks. The other angle is you know, not using the US models that are you know, the premium price. So of course we all know that the you know, the cost of a Chinese model is much much closer to the cost of production of that model. And I think it's entirely conceivable that certain businesses and enterprises are going to carry on using you know, the premium models all the time, but there will be other applications that don't. And then I think the other thing is actually fascinating news that came out overnight, which was the sort of world world ranking of supercomputers. I don't know if you saw this, but there's a Chinese supercomputer called Lineshine in Shenzen that's just won the crown of most powerful supercomputer, and it's entirely powered by CPUs, not GPUs, again demonstrating that actually it isn't all about how much compute you throw at something. It's often, you know, about the way that the things engineered and implemented. So there are enough reasons to think it's possible that we could end up with a serious headwind for this if the market continues to be driven by the idea that actually computers scarce and therefore you know, those names in a that we've talked about continue to be the leaders. I don't know when please please.
Speaker 1: Ask you to explain to our non AI literate listeners a difference between CPUs and GPUs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so gpuser called graphics processing units, and those are the kind of just much much more advanced, much powerful, much much more energy energy, energy intensive, Yeah, much more powerful logic semiconductor, So they do the thinking. That's the semiconductor that does the thinking, and a CPU is a much more basic version of it. It's what we all used to have in our home PCs before, you know, before there was a sort of step change in technology. In other words, it's a more basic function, more basic, less less powered, and requires less energy intensity to make it work. And I think it's you know, there's been a story you and I spoke last year, not a million miles after the deep seat news, and in many ways it's the sort of continuation of the same thing. That you don't have to keep throwing the most leading edge chip at every thing in order to push things further. There's an awful lot about the way you engineer these processes, and.
Speaker 1: That that leads on to two possibilities. One that this is an earnings bubble more than a valuation bubble. Obviously they're connected, but it's an earnings bubble first, and that's the first thing. And the second thing is that it is possible that the huge amount of capex being thrown at data centers might turn out to be too much.
Speaker 2: To absolutely agree. I think the the the argument I said, the sort of bulls argument that it's not a bubble because because earnings revisions have been so powerful, if earnings collapse because monetization doesn't work, the market's going to look a hell of a lot more expensive. And I think I think a fascinating you know, prison to look at this through is actually that those Korean semiconductor memory companies, you know, those have historically been cyclical. And the way we treat a cyclical company, the sort of orthodox way to treat a cyclical company, is you sell it when it's cheap, because it's earnings and revisions are sort of you know, they're not going to stay up there. Right. You grow up in this business learning to sell those things when they're cheap and buy them them avery expensive. If in fact, this is not a secular trend in in earnings but a cyclical or a blowoff moment or a bubble or as you call it, then actually what we're going to find is that the market's a hell of a lot more expensive than it looks.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and this is just a normal cyclical Yeah. And I think I think the other thing extreme but normal extreme. Yeah.
Speaker 2: The other thing in all of that, which I think, you know, when it all happened a year ago, a bit sort of ten months ago, everyone was perplexed and we've all moved on. Because we have short attention spans. We also have to go back to the to the realization that a lot of these earnings revisions are part of that incredible circularity of you know of vendor financing, where you know, where the customer invests in the invests stock in the company to place orders for the chips. And there was all those extraordinary diagrams that went round that showed this ecosystem where everyone was both customer and off take for the same same ecosystem. And there's this sort of multiplication of earnings revisions that's going through the system. So it isn't just the case that one company's order book suddenly looks different. It's that that has a ripple through effect from the company that's building the model, through to the hyperscala, through to the company that's making the memory chip, through to the company that's making the logic chip. So all of them are enormously interrelated. We all scratched our heads in September October last year when all of those deals were announced and sort of laughed a bit and moved on, And now here we are with that being at least one factor that's contributed enormously to the growth in earnings expectations. All quite fragile sounding, Yeah, it could be or we could find that actually the productivity gains are so extraordinary, and that businesses learn quite quickly that they can't do without it, that their competitors are starting to make advances because they are being prepared to take on the cost of tokens, and you know, and they make that part of their ongoing budget. So I, you know, I look at this after twenty five years in markets and think it looks in many ways like a bubble, and it talks like a bubble, and it walks like a bubble. But I also have to be open minded in a way that I probably wasn't when I was twenty five, that there are paths in, there are path dependencies, there are ways through this where actually perhaps it doesn't go pop.
Speaker 1: And either way, this is not Emperor's New clothes. The technology is exciting and valid, and either way leads to astonishing productivity gains. That's simply a matter of whether the valuations are right or wrong.
Speaker 2: So just yeah, yeah, definitely. I think there's one one really fascinating way to think about all bubbles is that actually the majority of them are productive in a sense that what they do is they suck capital into something that is ultimately almostly changing for society or changing for a political economy. You know, you can look at the you know, the sort of nation building in the US, the railway bubble in the US, you know, even parts of the Roaring twenties actually, which was sort of beginning of like domestic consumption taking off, the dot com you know. The norm is that that these bubbles bring capital into something. There's some malinvestment along the way, but the technology remains. What's not normal is something closer to the GFC or the kind of very tail end of the Roaring twenties, when it's pure speculation. South Sea, you know, tulips, where there's where there is nothing, nothing sort of transformational about.
Speaker 1: I'm want to pick you up on tulips actually interesting sps I mean yes, always cited as an extraordinary bubble that left nothing behind it, you know, exponential rises in the prices of tulip bulb and then a collapse that leaves everyone.
Speaker 3: Destroyed, et cetera, et cetera.
Speaker 1: But you know, here we are and the Netherlands are still one of the greatest flower exporters in the world, right, and where do you go when you want to buy amazing tulip bulbs. What do you buy when you go when you go to Holland and you want to bring back a souvenir chilip bulbs?
Speaker 3: Right, it left an amazing like the.
Speaker 1: Long term chulip bubble was ages ago, and there it is. The legacy of the tulips is still there in the in a huge industrial infrastructure the production of these flowers, and in a massive tourist infrastructure.
Speaker 3: So now I won't hear a word against the tulip bubble.
Speaker 2: No, okay, I stand corrected, and they are, of course wonderfully beautiful.
Speaker 3: Yes, exactly right.
Speaker 1: Let's move on from bubbles to a paper that you wrote recently that I'm interested in. I know our listeners will be interested in about diversification in an age of inflation and the change that has come there. I know. But you think that we're moving into what we're in and staying in a more inflation environment that we've been.
Speaker 3: Used to over the last forty years pre COVID.
Speaker 2: Of course, yeah, I mean we do, we think I think you know. Actually this is in some way informed by the kind of conversations we have with many of our largest clients, and it's really interesting to us how there are many, many different conversations coming from asset allocation teams in these big institutional businesses, which are all touching on the fact on the sort of realization that the world is changing, that the pre sets that we lived through from you know, the sort of mid nineties onwards, probably until the Brexit referendum ten years ago this week, there was a set of characteristics that were pretty stable. And those characteristics were, you know, the kind of primacy of globalization, stimization of supply chain, stability in Western politics, low inflation, financialization of everything because low inflation allowed for that, and this wonderful kind of basis for multi asset investing, which was that stocks and bonds were negatively correlated, meaning that when your bomb, when your stock portfolio hit the skids, your bomb portfolio would typically partially bail you out.
Speaker 1: Which happened earlier this week. By the way, I mean that that happened on Tuesday.
Speaker 3: Old fashioned stuff. But it did happen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it did happen. I mean, I think what we're really thinking about here is what happens on more than a day, and it certainly didn't happen in March, where stocks got hit very hard and so did bonds, and so did gold. So I think, you know, the way we recognize it's sort of easier to recognize that the regime is changing than to understand what it will change into. But if you think about all those things I mentioned there, which is you know, globalization, the sort of frictionless movement of capital and labor and supply chains, I think those things are going into reverse. And as they go into reverse, it introduces more friction into the system. It requires you know, national interest to be put at the sort of top of the priority list for governments. You know, I think we're all going to get used to the idea of America first by British, by Canadian. The Italians have got their own version of it. And these things are going to require more capital to be de deployed at home. There's more sort of you know, more demand on the physical constraints of the world, which gives rise to produce supplies. Inflation. All of these things are sort of more friction, probably stickier inflation.
Speaker 3: There's us conversations about that.
Speaker 1: You know, we've talked, I think we might have talked previously about capital controls and the odd defining that your money is confined within a country, or appropriated for the pension, pension in particular, appropriated for domestic domestic infrastructure needs, etc. One of the conversations in the UK at the moment endless leaking of possible tax things, right, but one of them is that the introduction of an exit tax. So if you do want to leave the UK to escape an oppressive tax regime, you get to pay a partner taxes on the way out. So you know, that's another bizarre thing in this new world of ours, isn't.
Speaker 2: It absolutely right?
Speaker 3: It's exactly so.
Speaker 2: I mean, you know, a hallmark of neoliberalism and globalization was the liberalization of capital accounts, and this is sort of the opposite of that, which is that you know, the capital resources sort of economy are required at home. Japan will be really interesting to watch in that respect. I mean, you know, they've now got interest rates at one percent, Inflation is certainly high in their own context, the yen is extraordinarily weak. They're finding it difficult to work out how to cap that. My take on it, purely personal view, is that at some point, you know, if you go back, gosh, is it twelve thirteen is to our bay part of our Bay's plan in Japan was to depreciate the yen to get to sort of try and move away from disinflation deflation. And one of the things they did in that respect was they change the ratios of onshore and offshore investment for the pension funds in Japan. The pension fund system in Japan is absolutely enormous, and you know, I think it's entirely possible that some point that what they'll do is reverse that, as they'll start requiring Japanese pension funds to start buying more Japanese assets. But I think the critical thing when you think about investing, whether you're investing your ISA or investing the assets of a sovereign wealth fund, is that the approach that we've all typically used as is changing enormously. You know, the sixty forty is the sort of mainstay of wealth investing and has been for all of our lifetimes, and it rests on the assumption, as I said already, that bonds andequities negatively correlated. You know, we've done some work at looking at what happens in similar drawdowns in environments where bonds are negatively correlated versus positively correlated. Nineteen seventy four, the equity draw down was the same size as it was in two thousand and eight, So you lost about forty percent in world equities in both nineteen seventy four and two thousand and eight. In nineteen seventy four, which was obviously an inflationary environment, stocks and bonds were positively correlated, and you lost I think something close to thirty percent in the sixty forty portfolio. In two thousand and eight, it was a much much smaller loss because bonds really really kicked in. And I think the point is that, you know, what we worry about is not runaway inflation, but rather once you once the genie is out of the bottle with respect to inflation targets, it's very hard to get it back in again. And I think you can see that. You can see that kind of I mean, you can see that in the UK, where we don't have very strong real growth. But you know, in the UK CPI is running it close to three percent. Services CPI is at three point eight percent and is moving higher. And that's an economy where real GDP growth is about one percent. So this isn't a function of a runaway demand the US, which is obviously growing at a much more rapid clip. There's a terrific inflation series run by the San Francisco FED, and they break down PCE, which is one of the which is the Fed's preferred measure of inflation, at least before wash. We'll see if it changes. But they break down PCE into what they call cyclical components, so those that are sensitive to the economy and acyclical components. Core PCE is running about three point three percent as of the last data for April. About sixty percent of that comes from the acyclical components, and that's been accelerating over the last two or three years. So you're in an environment in the US where this is this thing about sticky inflation. Once genies out of the bottle, it becomes sticky, it starts to feed inflation expectations, and it's very, very hard to get it down again. That doesn't mean, you know that what we saw in twenty twenty two inflation was high single digit It doesn't mean that's what we're going to have. But what it does mean is that what we used to do, which is inflation being at or around the targets of all central banks at about two percent, that looks increasingly unlikely. And the reason we would then worry about that is it means that you can have environments where the hands of central banks can be more tied in terms of their response to a crisis. If they're faced with a if they're faced with the crisis that's driven by inflation, they may well be raising rates into that, which is what we saw in twenty twenty two. And if they're faced with a crisis where inflation is very sticky and they don't have enough conviction that it's going to roll over, they may not be able to provide what in markets we call the central bank put the protection that we're used to. And so that can mean that, you know, all of the reaction functions and interactions that we've seen over the last thirty years can start to change.
Speaker 1: So we've been used constantly to every time something goes wrong, central bankstep in, slash rates and everything's just fine again somehow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and again have to be humble. That could be the case, but I think becomes more difficult when inflation remains sticky.
Speaker 1: But the core difference then being that previously most of these crises could be put down put at the door of demand, these demand related crisis and so you slash interest rate gen you're off to the races again. But if they are supply created crisis, you can't do the same.
Speaker 3: It doesn't work in the same way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then you have to ask how robust is the portfolio that you're sitting with. How much is it an artifact of the old regime, and how much is it something that's actually robust to a changing world where we don't entirely understand where all the risks are coming from.
Speaker 3: But how do you shift your portfolio?
Speaker 2: What do you do?
Speaker 1: Where is your diversifier? And now we're not going to we're not going to get listeners out of equities. That's never going to happen. But yet anyway.
Speaker 2: Well, well we could we can go a bit back to the conversation we had a year ago, which is you diversify the you diversify where our equities are.
Speaker 1: I mean, last time is it? At the beginning we talked quite a lot about China. Where where would you look now?
Speaker 2: I think if we if I sort of think about it in terms of styles, I think higher inflation plus greater fixed capital investment in economies, and the fixed capital investment is you know capex, that's a function of all of the reshoring or energy expansion, all of these sorts of things. The combination of inflation plus that tendency suggests to me that you want to be in what we call shorter duration cash flows, so things with things that have a real fixed capital base rather than the sort of intangible assets of the last cycle.
Speaker 3: Okay, so it's the halo trade, hard assets, low ups lescens.
Speaker 2: Yes, exactly. Yes, I think there's an awful lot of value in that. I think that you know that you will find a lot of those companies outside of large caps. I'm sort of repeating what I said again last year, but I think these.
Speaker 3: Are probably still value on the small caps.
Speaker 2: Yeah, smaller caps for sure. I have to say I and this is a personal Everything I'm saying is a personal view, but I think that you know, I think we had a very weak dollar, which helped a lot of the rest of the world. The dollar then got a bit bid again around Iran, most recently in the last week. It's been bid again because the markets read on Wash was that he's hawkish. My take is really what Wash is doing personal view is that he's he's really he's guiding us towards a different type of guidance. He's essentially saying this, you know, forward guidance is finished and we're going to be a bit less data dependent. I don't think that means he's extremely hawkish. I tend to think it probably means the dollar is going to be a bit weaker and there are dollar beneficiaries out there to be had in equity. So equities, you know, I think you can continue to divers if I continue to look for that. As you say, halo is a good way to think about it. I think then, you know, then you have to question, well, what role the bonds have in your portfolio. Bonds still have a fantastic role in the portfolio, I think, you know, particularly for us in the UK, you get this opportunity from time to time to buy a low coupon bond with a discounter part and you don't pay capital gainst tax on that if you can hold it to maturity. So you know, these are still really excellent ways to get a kind of guaranteed return with a tax efficient approach. But I would what I think, what we the way we think about that is bonds have many uses, but it may not be that they are reliably diversifiers. You know, we think that this is actually a golden age for alternative investing. To be frank that that alternative assets alternative investments have been quite out of fashion for a long time. They haven't been required because it's been an environment where the returns you got from equities were so fantastic that you just didn't need to bother thinking about diversifying any a way to things that are lower return and lower volatility. But liquid alternatives that have little or no beta to the market, that are genuinely diversifying, and a liquid what.
Speaker 3: Is a what is a liquid alternative asset?
Speaker 2: Liquid alternatives are you know, funds that are not directional, so hedge funds in nomenculture, but they are, you know, in our world, extremely diversified. They combine many different approaches to capturing different risk premium in markets. They're not directional, they may be market neutral, and their ways to essentially extract returns out of the market that don't rely on what's happening in beta, They don't rely on market direction. It's interesting that you know that these have been very out of fashion for a long time.
Speaker 1: Both while you don't need you don't need them. You can be long only at ten to fifteen percent a year. You don't need somebody that's going to go market neutral for you.
Speaker 2: Exactly right. And actually, but in the institutional case, so with our biggest investors, it was it wasn't so much we'll just have more public equities, it's we'll have more privates, and that that decision is starting to be reframed again. And the interesting thing about actually a lot of liquid alternatives hedge funds is that many of them in fact benefit from higher inflation. I mean, we've done quite a lot of work at looking at equity long short in different different inflationary regimes. Equity on short tends to do better when inflation's high. I think the reason for that is because as interest rates move higher, as the refinancing of debt becomes more expensive, companies are required to do more idiosyncratic remedial work to keep their head above water. But yeah, we think that as inflation moves high, and as interest rates through hire and the cost of debt moves higher, it forces companies to do more and that means you get more dispersion, and that makes a greater opportunity for stop picking, selecting good from bad, and so returns to equity market neutral equity laun short strategies get better as inflation goes up, so that's quite an interesting diversifier. I think the trick in all this is diversify your diversifiers. In the past, we didn't need to. You just bought bonds. Today you need to have a much much broader toolkit.
Speaker 3: Explain to me.
Speaker 1: I really enjoyed your euphemism about decisions about privates being reframed.
Speaker 2: I think that that you go back to the nineteen eighties when the endowment model emerged, which was the sort of bible of investing in you know, investing across a much broader pool of assets and including privates in it. There was an illiquidity premium right if you were able, if you were an endowment or an asset owner that had a very very long time frame for your liabilities, if you you know, required your money over very long periods of time, there was an inquidity premium that you could harvest, which was, if I'm prepared to lock my money up, I will be rewarded for that. And there was you know, the cohort of managers provide those services was much smaller. Today, the universe has grown enormously. Many people with much shorter liabilities have been pushed into it, and we can see that, you know, the exits for many private companies in the equity space are much more challenged and the returns that are diminishing over time. And I think what we certainly see among not all of our institutional clients, but certainly some of them, is that you know that the returns are starting to become a bit underwhelming. There is probably more risk that they have in their private equity portfolio that looks comparable to their public equity portfolio that you know that it may be in both VC and P and private credit. There's more of the AI ecosystem in there, you know, than they previously was the case. So it's less diversifying and in many ways, you know, in the next cycle, if there's a down leg, there will be the same downward vulnerability in these assets that there is in their public portfolio. So I think, you know, certainly the com among some of our institutional investors is moving onto thinking well, these are probably not going to be diversifying for us now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So moving to the bit where lack of liquidity will come with a discount rather than a premium.
Speaker 2: Which makes more logical sense. It may well be that case exactly right. Yeah, yeah, so yeah. I think everyone in essence, whether you're a CIO of a sovereign wealth found managing half a trillion dollars or someone making decisions about you know, their ISA, we're all faced with the same question today about how you achieve diversification from this great, big common factor, which is, you know, concentration in markets and beta and expensive valuation.
Speaker 1: Might we do some of that diversification with gold? It's pretty horrible a few months.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, look, I think I think gold still is a very interesting asset. I have to say right now, based on what I've just said about the dollar, I quite like it personally. I think that actually, you know, if we start to work out overcoming weeks and months, that what Warsh has said is not explicitly hawkish, but more giving himself the flexibility to respond to a changing outlook as he sees it, and I think he will be less data dependent and more dependent on his expectation for what's happening in the economy. So it's a bit more opaque. I think if that's the case, and that a lot of people who know Arsh say that's how he thinks, then it's a week dollar, and I think it was a week dollar. We're probably going to see some support coming back under gold. I don't think that the the demand from the rest of the world central banks for gold has changed. You know, part of fragmentation deglobalization is that people are looking for other reserve assets other than the dollar. So I don't think that's changed. So yeah, I think there's some back.
Speaker 1: Toup of demand from the certain bank remains a week dollar gives.
Speaker 2: It some some sre and some impetus to move higher. Maybe the way to question the role of gold is, as we saw in March, is that that at various points in time, can become a risk on asset rather than a diversifying asset. So I think it's an interesting asset to have in your portfolio, but it isn't necessarily something reliably that you want to bank on to bail you out when equities are doing badly.
Speaker 3: We talked last time when we were talking about gold, well we always do this. We talked about God.
Speaker 1: We also talked about cryptocurrencies, and in particular we talked about bitcoin slightly separate asset to other crypto.
Speaker 3: Any change in your views there.
Speaker 2: I mean, no other than other than I'm really, really amazed that the amount of policy support crypto has had in the last sixteen months. Never in my imagination would I have I conceived of the possibility that it could have that much policy support in terms of sort of you know, legitimization and regulation and do as badly as it has. So I think we're sitting here today scratching our head and wondering what the utility of crypto is. I mean, maybe that just makes it the very best time to buy it because everyone hates it. But you know, I think you asked me the question last time, gold or crypto, and I think, or I hope I said gold. You did, and I would still say the same today.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's difficult, isn't it.
Speaker 1: And we on and on and on we go about the use case, the use case, the use case, and we never really quite get a compelling enough answer.
Speaker 2: No, I think that's right.
Speaker 3: Okay, last question, last question, onto the fun. But what are you going to take to the beach with you? Book Wise?
Speaker 1: Book Wise, I don't want to hear about your towel and your sontime. What book are you going to take on a holiday?
Speaker 2: I would recommend if people are going to the beach and they want a really inspiring book. I don't normally read non fiction, and I've just read a book called The Wide Wide c which came out a couple of years ago and is an account of Captain Cook's last circumnavigation of the world. And it's a really extraordinary story, both how meticulously it's been put together from historical record of the time, but actually the thing that I found overwhelming at times was that it is only two hundred and fifty years ago, and it's extraordinary to remind ourselves at this pace of sort of you know, you know, acceleration in progress all the time, how young modernity is that only two hundred and fifty years ago Cook was meeting people that had never encountered outsiders before and was exploring parts of the world that weren't charted. And I think it's so easy to sort of sit in the moment we're in and assume that you know that things will progress sort of forever along a path. But it's only two hundred and fifty years ago that we didn't even know what our own world looked like.
Speaker 3: Excellent. I'm sold. I'm ordering it right now.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Ed, and thank you so much for joining us today.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 3: Thanks for listening to this week's Marin Talks Money.
Speaker 1: If you like us, show, rate to review, and subscribe wherever you listen to podcasts. Thank you for sending your questions or comments to Merrin Money at Bloomberg dot net. You can also follow me and John on Twitter or x. I'm at Mariners W and John is John Underscore Stuffy. This episode was hosted by Me marenthumsep Web. It was produced by Samasadi and Moses and sound designed by Blake Maples and Aaron Caspers Russell.
Speaker 3: Thanks to Ed Cole.