Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys Let's go. Are you ready for a break?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: Are you ready for a break?
Speaker 4: Absolutely?
Speaker 2: Ready for a break?
Speaker 5: Yeah, and so much for that.
Speaker 1: It's time for The Break on Dallas Cowboys dot Com with Ambar Garcia, Brian brought Us, Nick Harris, and Derek Eagleton.
Speaker 2: It's tous the October twenty nine, twenty twenty four, Season twenty, episode number fifty seven. Welcome to the Late's edition of The Break. We are live from s WBC Mortgage Studios.
Speaker 6: Estion, Brian.
Speaker 2: We're presented by LGLG as the world's number one old TV brand for eleven years incounting see why a LG dot com, Ford slash O, leed Evo doing Sorry.
Speaker 7: Brian's mom. What's her name again?
Speaker 6: Surely Shirley?
Speaker 7: So sorry there was late.
Speaker 6: She listens to the show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sorry, yea, sure, you better put a miss in front of that.
Speaker 6: She's friends of the show.
Speaker 5: She's great.
Speaker 2: We just call him Mama. Mama brought us.
Speaker 6: Mama brought us.
Speaker 5: I can't be as bad as last show.
Speaker 8: I was on talking and we were talking about Isaiah and he had gone out to see his in laws or something he had. We were talking about, like, Hey, how's your weekend. I was like, oh, I had hung out with the in laws. I was like, oh, like, that's a tough time.
Speaker 6: Huh.
Speaker 5: He was like, my wife watches every episode was like, oh it was a really good time. It's good. So I felt horrible after that show. I was like, oh my god, I'm so sorry.
Speaker 6: I'm an idiot.
Speaker 2: But hey, man and laws of good people, great.
Speaker 8: Great, great people, great people. It's just the stereotype's funny.
Speaker 2: It is. It is, all right, So let's let's jump into this. We've got it's a Tuesday, so we go big picture today. We're going to go into the brain of Brian brought us. In the second segment, we'll get some questions. Although members as opposed to it, we are going to take some fans questions in the final segments, so feel free to go and send those to me on Twitter or x whatever you call it. We can also take phone calls eight eight eight eight five five.
Speaker 7: People are taking you as literal, like a literal joke. People send the messages on Twitter just well, like I'm.
Speaker 2: Just saying that this is one of those things where I really try to get to it and Ambers spike the fan base. Okay, Amber's comments series. It goes a little long at times, so we don't end up getting to all the fan questions, but we're gonna get to them today. We're gonna do that in the third segment. I have some that have already started rolling in. We've got actually quite a few that are rolling in, so we'll try to get to as many as we can in that final segment. In the first segment, though, today, I wanted to do something I call on second thought. It's a kind of a relook at some of the things I noticed in the game and get some opinions from you guys. I want to start first with the wide receiver group. Ceedee Lamb had thirteen catches in that game. He had seventeen targets, and it's a huge amount of attention that's being paid, and he did convert that and made that into one hundred and forty six yards of receiving with two touchdowns. No other receiver had more than forty four yards receiving in that game. My question for you guys is this is offense too dependent on Ceedee Lamb and do you think that when Cooks returns that changes first question?
Speaker 8: Yes, if you are an opposing defense, and I think I said this last couple of weeks. If you were an opposing defense, who other than.
Speaker 5: CD scares you?
Speaker 8: Yeah, Jake Ferguson, sometimes not all the time. That was a question I asked yesterday Brian Schwenhaumer's like, Hey, why isn't Jake Jake Ferguson getting more involved? You know, especially in a time where Brandon Cooks has been out and they need to find a reliable second option. I believe he finished with under twenty yards and it's not like he's been the game breaker that he was last year, So you know, why why isn't he getting more involved?
Speaker 9: So?
Speaker 2: Yeah, what was his response? I'd be inged to his response on that.
Speaker 8: So I had phrased it more so in a sense of, Hey, when Dak is feeling pressure, Jake Ferguson has been a reliable target and we haven't really seen Jake that much. I believe his answer was along the lines of, yeah, we need to get Jake going.
Speaker 5: We would like to get Jake going. It's kind of an intention for us, so weak mind.
Speaker 2: Saying all the things we all are thinking.
Speaker 10: Yeah, you know, it's funny you bring us up because in my questions I had for you, one of them was, this offense needs Brandon.
Speaker 6: Cooks back in the worst way. They need something. I don't know if it's Jake.
Speaker 10: Ferguson, and I know that we all felt like I know on our show at one five three the Fan, we felt like the targets were probably going to go Ceedee Lamb, Jake Ferguson, Cooks and others. We're gonna get opportunity, but they they right now, it's been really difficult. It's so when you when you watch tight end play around the league. That was a record day for NFL tight ends overall through the whole Sunday, a record day, and you kind of felt like your tight end was like standing outside the window looking with his face up against the glass, you know, because you know all these other tight ends are having successful days you're about to play against one had a really big day. And but that's that's the things I you know, offensively, Yeah, I know, in my in my at the in the in the halftime show, I said, you know, Zach Wilchick asked me what do you have to do. I'm like, Max, protect and throw the ball to CD Lamb every play. Now, that's what you got to do. You just they don't have an answer for him. I don't think teams really do still have answers for him. I think if they really want to get him the football, they can, but they need to find something else here. It needs to be whether and we and we keep talking about maybe a Tollbert, maybe Brooks. Maybe they tried it with Turpin the other day. You know, Turpin got a lot more opportunity in that game. Somebody's got to stand up in this thing, though. You know, somebody's got.
Speaker 6: To stand up.
Speaker 10: And you know, if you can get the ball to the CD, you can find ways.
Speaker 6: To get the ball to Ferguson though too.
Speaker 10: That's where I think that that's where I'm losing the little faith right now in this offensive attack.
Speaker 7: So when you start singling out people and saying and point, let's say at CD, Okay, he's not having a good season. You point Jake Ferguson not a good season, Brendan Cooks during the time that he did play, not having a good season. And you can go down the line and the offensive line as well.
Speaker 5: Can I make one quick heavy I don't think CD's having a bad season.
Speaker 7: Not to where you expected to be, though.
Speaker 5: I understand where you.
Speaker 8: I understand your point there third in the NFL and receiving at the end of the day, and I think this last performance kind of put him back on the map, like firmly it's on point.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's starting to pick up just a little bit. And to me, and again, it's when you look in comparison of what happened last year, and then you add the contract on top of that and the expectations and just what it's what his presence it's even doing as an offensive like in general. That's my point. But with that being said, is like when you start looking at everyone individually and then you realize, like, okay, so many people are not performing at the level that you expect them to. Where is the root of the problem at that point, Derek.
Speaker 2: Offensive line, I said yesterday, it's the offensive line, I think right now, and again, I think the natural the first thing you'd want to say is the quarterback. But I think the reason why the quarterback is not as effective as he's been because of the offensive line. I think the root cause is right now, this offensive line is not playing to the level that they need them to play to.
Speaker 10: Well, I think the lack of a running game also kills them of this stuff too. The threat you know, teams play light box against you. They don't you know, they're going to play coverage.
Speaker 6: They're not. They're not scared of your running game at all.
Speaker 2: So how much did that is also because of the offensive line?
Speaker 10: I think I think it goes into that. Yeah, I mean, I absolutely do. I just you know, the running backs, Yeah, you just don't. You don't, I like Rico Dabdle, I really really do. But you look at what's happening up front, and they've been in behind in games. They've been in behind in games where they haven't a lot they can't establish the run because there's really when he calls a running play, it's a you know, it's it could be a negative play, it could be a no game play. I mean, there's a lot of empty runs that these guys have, you know, I mean, I give Zeke credit in the runs he had the ten carries or so, he had, at least four of them were you know, what they would call successful runs four plus yards a carry and they just can't get to that. They just can't get to where it turns into. You know, they they could run the football like they did at one time, where it was, you know, it was that you hand the ball off on the first down, and then it's it's second and four, it's second and five, it's they don't, it's second and nine, it's second and ten. They can't get anything established running the football, and I think that really affects the quarterback. Quarterbacks got to be better too, though.
Speaker 6: I mean, he's.
Speaker 10: Reverted back to what we talked about a little bit yesterday with the fifteen interceptions. Now that sees it a lot half of those maybe not his fault, but you look at the ones that are going on right now. These are on him and he knows that. And that's but you know, offensive line, receivers, scheme, there's a lot of things affecting how this offense is really struggling.
Speaker 2: Yep, all right, let's get to the second question I have for you guys. On second thought, Cowboys are only able to generate two sacks, two quarterback hits, that's it in the entire game last week. Is there an answer for generating pressure in the absence of Parsons and Lawrence that this team can possibly look at doing at this point because they won't have Lawrence back for a while. Who knows what Parsons. You think it's gonna be sooner, but obviously that hasn't happened to this point. What can they do at this point to generate pressure?
Speaker 6: Play an offensive line like their own?
Speaker 2: It's been a problem, you know, thanks or the hope.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but that's you know, they'll do it Wednesday. But yeah, in reality though, in reality, though.
Speaker 10: Zimmer's trying to bring pressure, he's trying to bring blitzers. He's trying to bring you know, the blitz that they got home on. They took advantage of.
Speaker 7: The that's the problem. That's sorry, just like hit me. I'm like, look who they're practicing against.
Speaker 6: How are you?
Speaker 5: How are you going to get better?
Speaker 8: Yeah, that's what I kind of pointed to as far as fools gold with the defense when I was talking on that point last week. I believe it was the game where you were.
Speaker 5: Like, yeah, you brought that up shop or disappointed.
Speaker 8: I was like, yeah, I thought this defense is going to be really good, and I've attributed a lot of that to the fact that they've been playing a very young offense.
Speaker 5: Sorry, Brian, No, it's just hit me.
Speaker 10: I'm like, damn, they you know, they they haven't really every week we kind of talk about an area maybe that you can attack, and they just they just have not been able to take advantage of certain certain players and certain opponents. And unfortunately, though it's it's reflected on you know that that teams feel comfortable throwing the football, they feel comfortable running the football play there's nothing that makes these play callers feel, you know, feel like they're in stress. I mean, two of the two of the big stops you got, in my opinion, were because of you know what what a coach did. And now, okay, I should say this, the fact that the pressure maybe the blitz and the fourth down play that's crossing the route, he throws the ball behind Samuel, he throws the ball in front. That's another huge play for them, but it goes behind and Dallas catches a.
Speaker 6: Break thirty one. What do they do.
Speaker 10: They they try they bring in a receiver and they try to kind of gimmick you with a with a pass into the flat and it gets tipped. You get off the field.
Speaker 6: That way.
Speaker 10: Sometimes you gotta be lucky that way. Kansas City played against San Francisco, and the entire game was that sometimes you and you know Kansas City was able to were a couple of times where Kansas City didn't get pressure did get stop shid. But like luck and then maybe Shanahan's ego allows you to get the football back. But yeah, they're just not generating nearly enough pressure. And it's not I don't think it's from a lack of trying. I don't think they're skilled enough to do it. And they just.
Speaker 6: Haven't had the ability to get guys home when they blitzed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, we're gonna take our first break when we come back. We'll go inside the brain of Brian brought us. We'll be back Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 11: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the Cheetah Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable. And now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per how but the good news is Todd has at and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew at and t five G Fast, reliable, Secure.
Speaker 12: Five G requires compatible plan and device. Five G may not be available in your areas. See add dot com slash five G for you foods.
Speaker 13: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black and right now Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order. Plus because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping.
Speaker 2: The Jack Black Playmaker is four of.
Speaker 13: Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy lipball. Make a play for the playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP.
Speaker 14: Don't put off getting your oil change Dallas. Take five oil change, A proud partner of the Cowboys is faster than you think. They're so fast you don't even have to get out of your car. You can take advantage of take fives, stay in your car ten minute oil change at any of their locations across the Dallas area. And remember at take five, you stay in your car because they're faster than you think. That means you won't even have time to show off your best touchdown celebration. Take five the official oil change of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 5: From the field to the festivities.
Speaker 15: Case d see embodies the essence of luxury and tradition. Handcrafted with meticulous precision, each pair offers unmatched comfort and style. Stand tall while you're tailgating or cheering in the stands with the Dallas Cowboys Collection by Lucasey. Shop the collection today at the Lucasey store at the Star and Frisco or online at lucasey dot com. Lucasey the official boot of the Dallas Cowboys and Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders.
Speaker 9: Hey y'all, Matt Pittman of Meat Church here. With football season kicking off, I'm already gear enough to bring the smoker back to AT and T Stadium for some epic tailgates. But with that Texas heat, it's crucial to keep my beer hand cramping cold. That's where Yeti's insulated colster can cooler comes in clutch this year. You can even get them with the iconic star engraved on the side. Licensed Yeti Cowboys gear is now available at stadium pro shops, concessions and on yetie dot com. Check it out today. Yeti official cooler and drinkware of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 8: To the break, the l g O led evo is the best TV in the game. But don't take our word for a Digital trends say that l g O led G four is has the best picture quality they've ever seen.
Speaker 5: Uh, don't believe us. See it for.
Speaker 8: Yourself at og or lg dot com slash Oh let evo.
Speaker 5: That's it.
Speaker 2: Welcome back, final second segment of the Morgans Studios Star Jesus. All right, Brian, let's go inside.
Speaker 5: Your brain when you're late to the show.
Speaker 2: What Yeah, that means I had ten minutes to find the read. We find it.
Speaker 5: That's good. That's a good one.
Speaker 6: All right, good, got you here? Nick, Here we go. Do you expect changes at safety this week after the San Francisco game.
Speaker 8: Man that I wanted to bring that up this week. I'm glad you well, I'm glad you started with that. Were you surprised it was one? I'll get your I'll answer your question. Were you surprised question? Were you surprised it was one year?
Speaker 6: Thomas H Yeah, little bit.
Speaker 8: I was a little bit, but I understood it a little bit. I think they needed somebody to handle those crossers. Yeah, and Kittle was just killing them with those crossers. And it's something that I've asked Eric Hendricks about overshown Zimmer. Zimmer gave me kind of a short answer yesterday. But these crossing routes have been killing them for these first seven games every time.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 8: And if you look at what Kyle Pitts can do, if you look at what they try to do to get Darnell Mooney open as well. Drake Lonn is more of an outside guy. But you Ray Ray McLeod as well, those crossers, they're gonna come right back at you.
Speaker 5: Mercedes Been Stadium on Sunday.
Speaker 8: So yeah, I anticipate a little bit more one yay if they anticipate that he is better at covering those crosser routes.
Speaker 2: Derek, they need something, They need some I think right now, if I look at the defense and I go position by position and say which position is hurting you most? Is hurting this team most? That would be the second position. I would call defensive tackle would be the first, and the second would be safety. I think right now you're not getting the types of you, certainly not. I mean everything that that they that they paid Donovan Wilson to be able to do, because I don't think there was any illusion that he was going to be a great cover guy, but you were paying him to be the guy on the spot, the guy to be able to come up and make the big tackle, to be able to diagnose plays, fill fill the gaps, and this last game, it just wasn't there. There were there were a number of times where he was out of position, had bad angles. It's just he's not doing those things well. And so when I look at it, I'm just like, right now the safety position is a is a problem for the defense and I don't even know why, because I don't it's such a drastic departure to me from what they were last year. I thought they played both of them. I thought they played much better last year than they're playing right now. And I don't really know why.
Speaker 6: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Maybe maybe that's maybe that's it, but it's it's just out there. I'm just saying that's a difference, right, you start looking for what's the difference, or maybe.
Speaker 10: They're playing the streak where they're played so much single high that they were plaid down and now you're not playing a guy in.
Speaker 2: Different kind of defense. You know, maybe they're being asked different things. They're not really suited for this defense. Maybe who knows. I just know it's a big departure from what we were last year, and I think something has to change. And you mentioned it last week. I think Bell is the guy. I want to see a little bit more Bell because I think last year playing linebacker, outside the fact he was giving up so much size, he played well, he filled well. So I actually would like to see him a little more at safety.
Speaker 8: So it wasn't a product of maybe this is my theorizing of Hey, one year is going to be better in coverage and we are severely lacking in coverage, right. I think West Marquis Bell is going to be your run support, but also can be a guy that can cover it.
Speaker 10: Late in the game though, you started seeing like Lewis got to cover there, then he was Makualmu there.
Speaker 6: I think it was a little too late at that point in time.
Speaker 10: Ag you get a thought on this one safety change after the forty nine er game.
Speaker 7: Well, you know what saw exists like we had come such a long way from the years where you did not have a safety yeah, and then you had to figure it out. Your safety group was all taken care of, they were all doing a good job, and then all of a sudden it's starting to fade away once again, and you're definitely needing support back there. But again, I think it all starts from the front as well. It's all it starts with what the defensive line is doing and then it trickles back to the rest of the defense. So they definitely have some issues there, but hopefully maybe with some of these changes it can help improve that area.
Speaker 10: All good answers, Guys, appreciate that, Derek, give me something you'd absolutely do to help this team, but they most likely won't do.
Speaker 2: So that I do right now a long time?
Speaker 10: How long do you have something, yeah, just taking any way you want. Give me something that you would absolutely do to help this team, but most likely they won't.
Speaker 2: I think I would probably look for more help at the defensive tackle position, and I would invest some significant resources in it because I think what we've seen over the last few years is without having that piece there in the middle of your defense. And quite frankly think it's really both defensive tackle position one technique and the three technique. I think Osa is a good player. I want more from my for my three technique. I really wanted more pressure. I should have been around the league. Around the league, you're seeing this more and more how much. And I was watching the Eagles, and I mean, they're they're drafted. Their guy is just upfill every play. The Giants last night upfill every play. Uh and and they're affecting the quarterback and it changes how the quarterback has to play when that pressure is coming up the middle. And I would love to see more of that from Osa. It just doesn't seem like he's having those types of game altering type plays. And and again I think he's a really good player. I just don't think he's I want more. And I don't know what that is, what that looks like, or I should say I don't know what that looks like. I don't know where they get that. But I really think if I had the opportunity to kind of change some things, I would really look I'd go into this offseason thinking I really got to upgrade the interior of my defense.
Speaker 10: But like I said, I asked it in a way of most likely they wouldn't do.
Speaker 2: They wouldn't do. Well, you look at the history like that's not been that's not been an error. They typically invest the resources they did invest that first round pick, and that that also makes me wonder if that. You know, sometimes you're always against something and then somebody talks into doing it and it doesn't work. It doesn't work. No, that's not a safe pank. And then they doesn't work, and then you're like, I ain't doing that ever again. So it makes me wonder if they'd be like I ain't invest in the first round in defensive tackle because I've seen what that looks like and that didn't work for me. But but I don't I don't know that their history says they don't invest much in the defensive tackle.
Speaker 5: Walker fantasy is just slipping as Derek talks.
Speaker 10: About, Hey, gee, give me something that you would absolutely do to help this team, but most likely they won't do.
Speaker 7: Change the play caller mmm in season in season, Like right now, I'll tell you what I mean to go to?
Speaker 2: Who is the question, like, is that gonna be better?
Speaker 10: I'm just telling you to me, I like what you just did. I personally like what you Yes, I would absolutely let Mike manage the game, let him watch, let him if he wants interject some thought.
Speaker 6: I think I would.
Speaker 10: I would take a shot at this point in time, Yes, because a shot shot him. But now and you can you can? I like what you you can finish your thought. I'm sorry, I don't mean to I I.
Speaker 6: Love your answer. I love your answer.
Speaker 7: But to answer your question there, I mean that definitely will not do this. But I mean, you have to wait so long for the season to get here. So it's this whole mentality of like, we just gotta let it run the course and wait again, I'm like, for what, we don't have time? So why not again? This is not gonna happen. And my respects to uh Mike McCarthy. I do love him as a head coach. I just don't think right now he's doing a good job with the play calling. There are many choices, questionable choices. They're also the scheme. A lot of the things that he does. I don't think it's helping position his players in the best spot possible for them to succeed and be successful at executing some of these plays. So I think there's a lack of creativity there, and especially when you see what other teams that you're facing are bringing to the table and you're like, dang, okay, well you see all the other options that it's happening around the NFL that you're like, okay, why can't we try certain things like that? Or clearly it's not working right now. So yeah, that's something I would do, But they wouldn't.
Speaker 8: That fourth place sequence there at the end where they had there you go in there, you go see three of those four are vertical routes. You haven't completed a vertical route since the telephone was in Venea.
Speaker 5: What do we do?
Speaker 6: Well?
Speaker 10: See, that's the thing about it is to that I look at this and you don't do anything in the third. Then all of a sudden, he takes that massive play sheet and he finds something like for two or three series and you're like, going, okay, And then you have that last sern and that last series and you're going, what the hell did you flip back to where you were calling plays in the third that weren't working? To me, I'm looking for some consistency. Not every play is going to work, but you know what, stay with something that might be stay with something you know you you're right about that.
Speaker 6: Why are we throwing this? Why are we doing that? Ill way?
Speaker 10: Maybe a time to run, how about you know? To me, I just think you have to do something different, and they won't do it.
Speaker 8: Dak and McCarthy both mentioned coming out of the bye week is the one thing, one of the many things that has been hurting this offense is they are in third and fourth and long too much. Yeah, and a lot of things can be attributed to that. But from a play call perspective, From a play calling perspective, when you are in second and ten, you need to get yards. Whatever that looks like. When you were in second and ten, you have to make it easier on your third down. It's just it has to be one thing I would change that. I don't think they would. Yeah, hit this trade market hard in the next week. I think just in general, you can talk about defensive tackle, you talk about running back, you can talk about, uh, did you get another receiver?
Speaker 5: Do they need another receiver? They might, they might they need another receiver.
Speaker 2: But we just finish saying you got Cee Lamb and do what else you got?
Speaker 8: Yeah, they do need another receiver. But if I'm like stacking my list of preferences defensive tackle, running back, man, the way the corner depth has been killed, I'd look for a depth corner. I mean, there's there's a lot of things that I would look at too.
Speaker 2: Can I throw something out there? I probably should have said this, but I went first. I didn't think fully about it. If you, if we all said, and I know I've been pretty adamant about this, the biggest problem they have right now is the offensive line. At some point, would you consider the fact that maybe, and I know you don't from continent continuity standpoint, you're like, well, we we want our guys to be there at the same place. Would you consider, like, take your left guard, move them to the left tackle, take your left tackle, move them to right tackle, bring in your guy off the bench to play left guard, and then you may have your best five on the field that, by the way, may be in their most natural positions. I don't know, but there's an argument to be made. At some point, you're going to keep banging your head against this brick wall and not getting the results from your offensive line. At some point, do you make the changes and just see, like, I don't know that it's going to get a lot this one.
Speaker 7: There's nothing to lose.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it could go off the rails.
Speaker 10: I mean, but the problem you run into is you have a head coach is on an Inspire expiring contract, and now you're asking him to make a.
Speaker 6: Bunch of changes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a big chance.
Speaker 10: You're now you're giving up on the season and his job is on the line.
Speaker 7: Because if it works out and he's it improves slightly, then we're giving him praise and we're clapping our hands and we're like, okay.
Speaker 10: But but thank you very much for thank you very much for doing what we asked you to do. But hey, good luck to you down the road. You know, that's the problem he's in right now. That's you're asking. You're gonna ask these coaches to as a as a front office to probably if this scene goes really poorly, and I mean really poorly, where you're you know, you've you've lost.
Speaker 6: Five or six games.
Speaker 10: Now you're gonna ask like we're already playing young guys, you really are, because of the injuries, so you can't ask him to do that. The reason you probably lost six games in a row at that point is because you're playing young guys that now you have to ask the coach like, hey, would you mind giving up the play calling a little bit here?
Speaker 6: Would you mind? You know? And that guy's gonna like go, you know, screw you. You know, I'm not.
Speaker 10: I mean, it's a it's a really it's a tightrope those guys have to walk because when it goes south, everybody in the coaching staff knows they're probably not going to be back.
Speaker 6: Now if you start asking them to do things, they're like, screw you.
Speaker 7: But you're right, I mean, and it is a difficult situation. But this you're exactly at the mark of the season where you can either make a left keep going to or turn things back around and actually have a fair fight here in competition.
Speaker 2: But I don't know, but I think I think that's also the nature of coaches, at least my experience of watching them is they it's almost like Brian, you said this with scouting, once you've seen it, then you think it can happen again. And I think that's the whole Zeke thing. I think they seen Zeke be very, very productive, and so in their minds like we can if we can, just like he's he's gonna, it's gonna work. It's gonna You just gotta keep it doing. You gotta keep doing it, and you gotta stay. And I just but I do think that a lot of this from the standpoint of how these coaches think about it is they've seen it before and they're just gonna say, you just gotta let it keep going, you gotta let it, you gotta let it work, and eventually we'll get there, and then they run out of time.
Speaker 10: This might be the coaches, And I'm just this is the theory that the coaches might say, sure, the front office is asking you to play Zeke. The front office is saying, hey, what about we get more touches for Zeke. We get some more touches for Zeke. In the front off of the coaches staff's like, well wait a minute. Rico Daddle probably gives us the best chance. But all of a sudden you're kind of like, Okay, well, well we'll show you. We're gonna we're gonna, we're gonna play Zeke here and Zeke played well the other day. Yeah, he had some decent It just makes me wonder if it's if it's the front office that's pushing for Zeke and the coaches are thinking like, fine.
Speaker 6: We'll we'll, we'll, we'll.
Speaker 10: Step back and let you know, let we'll play Zeke here and see what it is that.
Speaker 6: That's what I worry about a little bit.
Speaker 10: Then maybe it might not be a coaching thing. It might be a front office thing to play Zeke here. Okay, do I have time for one more? You can carry the show a little longer? And I know Ambar is hungry. We gotta Okay, my last question for you guys, Uh, for you Nick.
Speaker 5: Let's do it?
Speaker 6: Was that just a one off for Dalvin Cook? What you like? One off? That's it. We're only gonna see him. They're gonna activate him this.
Speaker 2: One days he's done.
Speaker 5: We'll seem in Atlanta, you think so?
Speaker 6: In Atlanta?
Speaker 2: Six carries and we've seen all we need to see get done.
Speaker 6: I mean after all that, I mean Dottal will be back and all that. Though. The thing is unless he gets sick again.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the motions, well, it's a shorter bus ride this time.
Speaker 8: Know the uh, Douce Fawn was activated in his place and he didn't play one snap.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think that's probably the easy switch off.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's hurt.
Speaker 8: So that he'll he'll place in for for Michael Parsons if he's back. So I don't anticipate Zeke being inactive either. So I think it's gonna be a Zeke, Rico Dalvin Cook backfield.
Speaker 6: Okay, so it's.
Speaker 5: Off early week, whisper, I guess Derek went off.
Speaker 2: No, I don't think it's one off. I think he'll be back. I do wonder how they will integrate him and how they're gonna split up these carries, because with Rico back, I'll keep riding. I think Rico's the best riding back to have on this team. So I don't know where he fits, and I don't know especially with him and Zeke because I think they're kind of the same tight back. But that being said, yeah, I don't think it's a one off. I think he'll he'll stay up. I just think it's a matter of you know, how they're gonna use him.
Speaker 6: Hey, g No, I agree.
Speaker 7: I don't think one game is enough or it's even fair for you to give like a good assessment on the player and what he can do or contribute to your offense. So I don't I do see him coming back again. But again, you're in this situation because of your own doing and your own decisions.
Speaker 2: So I love what mamas out. You want to look at the camera, just point you did this to yourself.
Speaker 5: So if they go for three, Chris take me off.
Speaker 8: If they go oh for three on Dalvin Cook elevations, is it Malik Davis next?
Speaker 5: And what he got? He's still on the team.
Speaker 2: I always, I completely forgot he was still on the right. Is still on the team. All right, We're gonna take a final break. We will come back. I got some questions from the fans out there on We'll get to those when we come back. Dallas Cowboys dot com Radio.
Speaker 16: If you can't be at the stadium, there's no better way to watch your Cowboys than on an LG O lead EVO TV. That's because everything you see is more lifelike, every play.
Speaker 2: Every hit.
Speaker 16: I mean, you might just will be on the sidelines.
Speaker 2: That's how clear it is.
Speaker 16: It's all thanks to LG's legendary technology, perfect black over eight point three million self lit pixels.
Speaker 5: No one comes close.
Speaker 16: Lgoled Evo is the best TV in the game for a reason. See for yourself at LG dot com slash o Leedevo.
Speaker 3: They say champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United Agon Turf offers a winning lineup of John Deere equipment built to tackle any challenge on and.
Speaker 6: Off the field.
Speaker 3: Legendary John Deere Tractors combines residential mowers, commercial mowers, compact construction equipment, hater utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sports turf equipments. United Agon Turf the official Agon Turf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit United Aggonturf dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 8: If you shout how about them Cowboys, you have that undeniable passion that's the heart of Cowboys Nation. And if you like to drink Doctor Pepper, you love the unique blend of its twenty three flavors. Together, you're one of a kind fandom paired with the one of a kind taste of a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper is the game day lineup that can't be beat better. Yet, Gather your Cowboys and Doctor Pepper fan friends to watch the next game and crack open a delicious ice cold doctor pepper for everyone.
Speaker 5: The wins will be even taste here. It's a pepper thing.
Speaker 2: And we're going to overtime.
Speaker 17: Erica how much have I spent on concessions?
Speaker 4: For questions about their money, Dallas Cowboys fans can turn to Erica, the virtual financial Assistant in the Bank of America mobile banking app. Learn more at Bankofamerica dot com, slash ericup by your side. Bank of America Official Bank of the Dallas Cowboys. Erica responses me very digital tools featured required downloading the mobile banking app and may only be available on select mobile devices. Erica is a mobile feature only available in the Englis language. Your chap maybe recorded and monitored for quality assurance. Message to raise Additional terms may apply. Bank of America and a number FDIC.
Speaker 11: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the cheetah Savannah. Todd believed the big cat repellent he bought online was reliable, and now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has at and t five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew at and T five G Fast reliable, Secure five.
Speaker 12: G requires compatible plan and device. Five G may not be available in your area. See add dot com slash five G for you.
Speaker 17: Forty dails.
Speaker 2: Back to the break.
Speaker 7: Ap and C connecting changes everything.
Speaker 2: Welcome back. It is the final segment of the break life in this WBC Mortgage studios. At the start there, y'all know how to get growled up inside jokes, folks. Sorry, all right, let's let's get some questions. We got some questions from X. Let's hit here in the final segments so we can get amber off to lunch. Question from Chris Johnson, he says, are we playing our best five offensive lineman? What would you change if anything? On the offensive line. I've already told you guys how I would line it up.
Speaker 5: What would you guys do you had run run back your your.
Speaker 2: I said, I would go with Smith at left tackle, Bass at guard, keep BB at center, keep Zach at right guard, and I would move guiding.
Speaker 5: Over the left or to right tackle.
Speaker 2: So basically, I would take steel out and I would put bass in and then move everybody around.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think I think that that is your best five at the end of the day.
Speaker 6: Is still about as Richard's playing guard.
Speaker 2: I don't think which guard I mean the left guard.
Speaker 10: I mean I know that over bass, that's where he to me, that seemed like some of the best reps.
Speaker 6: That he was taking.
Speaker 14: It.
Speaker 2: Is he better than basses? I'm asking is he better than bass at left guard?
Speaker 10: I kind of know what bass is, but he was better than bass I would take. That's why I'm saying, That's why I'm asking. Yeah, I'm asking about maybe playing and seeing if he's better than you're saying.
Speaker 2: You're saying I've seen enough to where I want to see if you give him those riches. I don't know he does he get better.
Speaker 10: I don't know if, like you say, awesome Richards might be an awesome player, I don't I don't know that he never gets to play, so you know, I mean, I kind of understand what TJ.
Speaker 6: Bass is.
Speaker 10: I would be interested to see if awesome Richards plays better than bass going forward. That's where I would be if if we're shuffling things around I'd give Awesome Richards a look.
Speaker 2: Just to see, just for clarity standpoint. I think I remembered you tell me and correct me if I'm wrong that you thought Awesome was a better right guard than left. Is that accurate?
Speaker 10: I didn't say that, Okay, I know that they talked about TJ. Bass that way. Okay, talk about Bass being a better right right guard right guard than a left guard.
Speaker 2: So the expectation is, let's assume Zach moves on next year. Bass is the guy you're thinking move into right. That could be very well, and then maybe Awesome is your left guard.
Speaker 10: I just I would like to know if things are getting best five it's I think that's all debatable right now.
Speaker 6: But I don't know what kind of player Awesome Richard truly is.
Speaker 10: Ausesome Richards as a guard looked looked, Okay, he really did.
Speaker 6: And I'm just.
Speaker 10: Curious though, if you know, and that's that's based on that scrimmage is against the Rams and some pre games, and then all of a sudden they started having some injuries and he had to go out to tackle. So I just I was just curious. I kind of understand what Bass is. I think Bass is a serviceable player. I just wonder if Austin Richards is a better player.
Speaker 6: Yep.
Speaker 7: I mean I'm at the point that I don't truly know who the best fives are anymore because everybody has not played at the level that you want them to. Smith, well, with the exception, I think he's been he's been good. He's been good, but you know, it's a trickle down effect that he's like everybody has to be doing their exact job, but otherwise he just kind of screws up the person next to you in that instance. So it's just hard but there, and again, I don't think it's a take one guy out, plug this other guy and then everything will be magically fixed and better. So I don't really have a good answer to give at this point because I don't even know if the answer is here on the team.
Speaker 10: Didn't notice a negative play for Tyler Smith until the very last play of.
Speaker 6: The game on the offense.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I mean that's I mean, you kind of like you're sitting there and you're like the whole game, he you know, you great all the plays, and then the very last play he gets beat and Dak has to kind of go to his right and try and throw the ball, and that's when you're gonna go, oh, well, how did that happen? Tyler Smith got beat, you know, And but he's played the whole game and played well and then the one play. That's that's the that's the story of offensive That's what offensive line is.
Speaker 9: Right.
Speaker 2: You have a great game and you have one play and then you have one.
Speaker 7: But overall, I mean, he's been amazing in his career in general, Like everything that he's done, he's been great.
Speaker 6: I think Cooper BB has been really good too.
Speaker 2: I'm very impressed with how he's developed. I mean, he's he's getting better every weekend.
Speaker 5: I think it better in the run game.
Speaker 6: But yeah, he's not there.
Speaker 2: I'm saying from where he was week one to where he is now, I think he is making the development that you wanted to see him. Everybody knew it was going to take a little while he's playing a new position. We knew it was going to take a while. But I think he's developing.
Speaker 6: I think all five guys get better in the run game exactly.
Speaker 8: Do you feel like BB has been better than Beddish was last year. There's a reason I asked that it's not to it's not to slam dunk on BB. I think it's more so a proven point to that. Guid And and BB are still a very much work in progress.
Speaker 2: Because I think they had different issues. Like to me, be Oddish, power was always a challenge for me with with Beyaddish. I don't know if that's Bibe's problem.
Speaker 6: I think BB's.
Speaker 10: I think the difference between BB and Beddish, I think that BB doesn't have the experience. Now he's getting the experience we're into going into week eighty of football. Here a week nine of football. Yeah, so you're getting You're just getting that experience. I thought last week he was much better of when it came to those blocks of like getting that guy down and then getting up on the second level.
Speaker 17: There.
Speaker 10: That's the difference. I think that that that had that understanding of how to do that. I don't think he could physically do.
Speaker 6: It all the time. That's that's where I think the difference is. For me.
Speaker 2: I think maybe's a better player. I think he's still developing and so I think there's.
Speaker 5: Still a little he's going to be so good.
Speaker 2: I think he's going to be a long term, he's gonna be a really good player for them, and I think he's gonna be way better than what beatis was. I think long term, that's an interesting question you say right now just it's different things experience to me.
Speaker 10: But we're going into week nine. Yeah, I mean, these guys really aren't rookies anymore. A lot of Theo's guys that played none nine games, they're not rookies anymore.
Speaker 8: Got about four more weeks until Tyler Guiden has doubled his career starts.
Speaker 5: Wow, when you put it like that, it's crazy.
Speaker 2: All right, let's get one more question before we finished. Sullivan ask, after seeing Chouncey Golston play extensively with you consider resigning him going forward in the future.
Speaker 8: I just had this conversation with somebody I don't remember who over the course of the last couple of days.
Speaker 6: John.
Speaker 8: He said, yes, he is of the current defensive line picture right now, and how it is, Chauncey Golson is the only one I would bring back.
Speaker 10: I tell you what they we talked about it last week. The Edges needed to play well. You were talking about Edges focus on run, that Edge focused on the run, and I thought that they were did a good job and did a really.
Speaker 6: Good job at it.
Speaker 10: So uh man, you know he's he's changing the narrative for me because I've always felt like he was kind of a flash player. But you know, he just these reps he's getting every week. I mean, he's playing more and more and more. I think you're getting a better player. I just don't know what's going to happen. Could he be and is this allow you to move on from a tank and then he take that spot. That's probably why you would make that determined the nation to go sign him, if you would.
Speaker 2: You know, he reminds me. He reminds me of a guy like a Tyrone Crawford from the standpoint of I think he's I think he's a good player, and I wonder if if they would have left him at one spot, oh all this time.
Speaker 17: How much better of a player he could be.
Speaker 2: We've seen just in these last few weeks, how much better he is when he's at just opportunity to keep playing at one spot. And it makes me wonder if they did him a bit of a disservice by creating that position flex and moving him tackle guards, I mean tackle in, tackle in as opposed to just putting him in one spot and really letting him develop.
Speaker 6: I me personally too, I'd like to see kJ Henry play more. I really really would. At edge.
Speaker 10: There's some things that he did in that game the other day that I thought were pretty good. So I mean it, when you watch him and how he was playing the run and how he was getting up the field, how he was kind.
Speaker 6: Of redirecting himself, I think they. I think that the way.
Speaker 10: He looks his profile and all that, there's there's something to work with there. I'd like to see him get more of an opportunity, maybe over Carl Lawson, if that's the case.
Speaker 2: I read a stat the other day that of all those defensive ends, I think I want to say kJ Henry was the only one that wasn't.
Speaker 17: But they had zero pressures for the game.
Speaker 2: Zero And that's that's an astounding number. I'm not saying sacks.
Speaker 17: I'm just saying pressure.
Speaker 2: That's just beating your guy enough where the quarterback has to kind of rethink what he's doing or move. And that's where if you get in that situation, that's how you end up getting beat against a team that's compromised offensively.
Speaker 17: If you can't get pressure on him.
Speaker 5: It's just I think part of that was a product though, of the edges.
Speaker 8: They did commit to the run game, and they the Niners didn't find success in the run game until they started going under center and hammering it downhill and went after the tackle. So I think the tackles not getting home for pressure wise, I think that's that's more you.
Speaker 2: Said, you mean the ends not getting home or the tack you said the tax tackles.
Speaker 5: Not getting home. I got on pressures.
Speaker 8: I got if they were going to put the ends and commit them to the run game, then they had to be able to dedicate pressure somewhere or pressure intention somewhere, and it has to come from the tackles or because they didn't send any spot blitzers, you know.
Speaker 5: So I agree.
Speaker 2: All right, appreciate you guys, Jonas. We'll be back tomorrow. We'll jump into next game, start getting ready for a Cowboys versus Falcons. Should be an interesting matchup until tomorrow. For Nick Harris, Brian broad us In, Aregarciam, Derek Eigelton. This has been The Break live on Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club