Speaker 1: Hello the Internet, and welcome to season three, seventeen, Episode three of der Day's Guys Day production of iHeartRadio. This is a podcast where we take a deep dive into America's share consciousness. And it is Wednesday, December thirteenth, twenty twenty three.
Speaker 2: First of all, shout outs to.
Speaker 1: My younger sister Caitlin. It is her birthday.
Speaker 2: Kaylen, Hey, look, happy birthday. It's also National Violin Day. It's all these are runners up. Yeah to Caitlin's exactly. Also National Cocoa Day. I'm a big proponent of hot cocoa. Also National Day of the Horse. I don't know why it's called day day horse. That feels aggressive. It was the fucking day of the horse. And also Pick a Pathologist Day, which I'm not sure one I read. Pick one.
Speaker 1: Stop with the flirting with all the different pathologists. Pick a fucking pathologist.
Speaker 2: Okay, it just says, well, life is short, making friends with a pathologist or coroner may improve our outlook on life. I'm sorry. What what is just created by lonely pathology? I think so it is they see some of the worst of the hills that can be follow us if they can be jovial, then rest asshired, living life to our fullest. Well we can maybe the key. Wow. Okay, that's an interesting thing.
Speaker 1: These national international days are so just like such a weird corner of humanity. It's like, I think we should have a day because we're kind of happy even though our.
Speaker 2: Job is set.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, get pick me, pick a podcaster, pick a peck of podcasters.
Speaker 2: That that should be a day if we could be jovial, you know what I mean? The ship we have to see every day. Oh, come on exactly.
Speaker 1: Well, my name's Jack O'Brien ak menthol scrub. Won't chick come and burn away the flakes menthol scrub, won't chick come burn my face?
Speaker 2: So that courtesy a blanky hack Man scrub. Yeah, backing track for that one.
Speaker 1: I appreciate it, and I'm thrilled to be joined as always by my co host and backing vocalist on the occasional AKA it.
Speaker 2: Is mister Miles Greg. Thank you, Miles Gray aka dead Kevin. Can't you see he got Mark Now he's in purgatory. Come on, Kevin, can't you hop with bandits? He's dead, Kevin? He's dead, Kevin Okay, that's how blooded by foreigner, my own kind of version there by Freudian quick because look, we're talking about home alone. Kevin Mcowisler is dead the whole time, y'all. Depending on how he's out. He may have a fever of one hundred and three. He may have that one, you know, that might have been how he went. Maybe that's why he's also scared of the fur basement in the basement, the basement because that thing looks hot. I think anyway, strongest fan theory for a seminole Christmas movie that will get you thinking.
Speaker 1: The whole time, I mean, second strongest behind I think the mom is actually the bread winner, which I found on Reddit is like one of the most popular on Reddit fan theories of the past year.
Speaker 2: She's paying for the trip because she's a fashion I guess that changes.
Speaker 1: It's not a fan theory, that's just, you know, something that's entirely possible. First on the facts that we've been given, Miles, we are thrilled to be joined in our third seats by an activist and author of the new book The Risk It Takes to Bloom. She's also the host of Afterlives, which is a new podcast series honoring the lives of trans folks Stolen too Soon. So much stuff dropping all at the same time. She's very busy. Please welcome to the show.
Speaker 2: Rockow Will else. Yeah, not much.
Speaker 3: Thanks for having me on.
Speaker 2: Oh no, thanks good have you?
Speaker 1: Thank you for making time, like in the middle of a book tour, in the middle of like dropping a new podcast.
Speaker 4: I know.
Speaker 3: I mean, this is gonna be my ray of light because I've been dropping really heavy stuff. Yeah, so this is like y'all are going to lighten the mood for me.
Speaker 2: Yeah. No, we're gonna have fun. We're here to.
Speaker 1: Talk about home alone fan theories, l light in your load a little bit.
Speaker 2: Where you come to us from? Where? I mean, I know where you're I know where you're coming to us from.
Speaker 3: For the listener, I'm in Brooklyn. It's you know, it feels like home now. But I'm really a Georgia girl, so I wrap the South as much as possible.
Speaker 2: What is how is like the holiday? Are you going to Georgia for the holidays? Are you staying? Are people coming to you? What's your holiday plan?
Speaker 3: Nobody comes to me, which is now I'm like, okay, they need to so we need to work on that for twenty twenty four. But I'm always the one traveling the next day labor. But I'm usually between Georgia closer to Atlanta. So I'm from Augusta, which is like two hours away from Atlanta. But my sister lives outside of Atlanta, and then my mom and my brother live in Tennessee, so I'm usually between the outchirch of Atlanta and Nashville.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, I can't think of too many holiday movies that take place in Tennessee or Georgia, but I can think of quite a few that take place in New York. I'm just saying New York's kind of a magical place.
Speaker 2: For the holidays.
Speaker 1: Maybe the family needs to start thinking about how how much how much magic can be packed into a New York holiday vacation.
Speaker 3: It's true, I mean New York is you know, it can be a winter.
Speaker 2: Wonderland every like three years, right, Like.
Speaker 3: I've learned since I've been here the last like five years that You're not actually gonna get nice snow each year. Like I'm just gonna have to deal with the brisk, freezing cold sometimes, right, and be.
Speaker 1: Okay with that little pellets of ice spit in your face sometimes or that's slush too, like the snow stays nice for fifteen seconds. How do you what New Yorkers?
Speaker 2: I mean, because I know, you know, like New Yorkers like to have their sneakers looking nice, their tyms looking nice, Like do you just have to have like a pair like when it's like they're like, there's no fucking way I keep you it's fucked up out there, so I need to wear my like rain boots or something. What I'm from l A. You know, it's so dry. There's like I wish I knew the what it was like to have to, you know, navigate a puddle, but I don't. I don't.
Speaker 3: Well, there are snow boots, so I have, like I definitely have like the big kind of like snow boots, which are like the moon boots, but not like necessarily for fashion.
Speaker 2: There their functility. Yeah, I don't know if folks.
Speaker 3: Are going out in their TEMs when the snow is like several inches high.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, but sometimes it stays like the snow stays, you know, there's like rifts on the side of the avenue and just like big slush puddles, and I have had the experience of like when I was a burgeoning, like sneaker head, I had a new pair of dunks on and stepped in a puddle up to like my shin and it was one, oh so bad.
Speaker 2: They were just different.
Speaker 1: Colors from that point forward, right right right, Yeah, it was bad, but it was like the it was the consistency of a slushie.
Speaker 2: So it was also you know, oh yeah, like you stepped in a bucket of slurpy. Basically yeah, yeah, wo my ass up to that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, don't do that, all right, Rall, We're gonna get to know you a little bit better in a moment. First, a couple of stories we're talking about. We're going to talk about Texas's fucked up abortion laws. We're going to talk about the demon weed come for Ohio your brains. Oho Burger King is getting in on the human dog bed trend, So we're just gonna talk about that trend. I feel like it could be taken further. We'll talk about that plenty more. But first, Raquel, we do like to ask our guests, what is something from your search history that is revealing about.
Speaker 2: Who you are?
Speaker 3: The Only thing I can think of is that I went out to eat with one of my friends the other day and I had to search what is what is the sushi that's a taco but not really a taco and it's tamaki because it's like the open face like sushi. But I didn't know what it was.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, okay, so you're talking about just the little bed of rice with the sushi on top.
Speaker 2: Of it, but it's like wrapped in the seaweed but like, oh okay, like a hand roll.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm like a foodie, but like I don't always have the right names for stuff. So I'm like, okay, well, what is the sushi kind of taco hybrids?
Speaker 2: It looks like an ice cream cone filled with fish, right, it does? And it was good.
Speaker 3: I mean, we went to the place and it was amazing.
Speaker 2: There's a there's like a place in LA that's just all hand rolls that I know, Like I don't know if I'm sure they have that kind of west right, yeah, and like they have it by the I forget the name anyway, but yeah, timuki is like my one of my favorites. Usually you eat it at the end, like when you have like a sushi meal, because like the mentality is you like it's it's meant to be the closing sushi that you eat to make sure like oh oh, so you think you're full now, well then try this one and now go home, get down. Yeah, that's why I like the philosophy behind it. It's like no hit hit yourself with the big one at that end.
Speaker 1: Is there a study of food that like passes through you at like different speed, the speed at which you go from full to not full anymore? Because sushi, I can eat myself to like stuffed to the like very bottom of my esophagus, like I can feel the sushi down there, and then like be hungry an hour and a half later, whereas like Thanksgiving dinner or something like that, I'm done, like I'm cooked, Like, yeah, it's just stuck. I don't know what it is.
Speaker 2: Korean food also goes right through me. I feel. I feel like it's a.
Speaker 1: Lot of the foods from Asian countries that.
Speaker 2: Are like that. You're able to eat a ton. I mean it's probably able.
Speaker 1: To eat a ton and then be hungry at like the next time a meal rolls around you. Look, we like to eat, man, we like to Yeah, so we're not gonna get slowed down.
Speaker 2: And I think I don't know. I mean, I know the same way. I think a lot of it, Like when eating sushi. There's also the part of it you're like, how much fucking money is this costing? So like you can't I mean, unless you want to really go there, like you could. I'm I'm sure you could eat that amount, but I'm sure there's also like a psychological effect of like, Okay, do I get another fifteen dollars thing and see if that will do it, you know what I mean, versus like what fifteen bucks gets me a chipotlet or something. I think there's that part of it too. I don't know if anyone's eating to their full potential.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I mean starches make you feel right, and they fiber stuff, I think, but I feel like it's like things that are super fatty or whatever, like they make you want more because like if I eat bacon, I never want to stop, you know. It's like if I eat like pork belly or something, I never want to stop. I want to keep going.
Speaker 2: Oh you so you like the like the luxurious kind of juicy, fatty parts of I look when you said bacon and pork belly. It's the same part, but we're doing it different ways. And I'm like, I love I.
Speaker 1: Say the number one food for like what I'm talking about is pancakes, because pancakes you eat them and then get less and less hungry after you've eaten them as they expand in your stomach, you know. Oh right, right, Like I get more and more full, like even after I've eaten them. Right, So, like there is a science that I'm sure like chefs and culinary artists pay attention to it, like, Okay, this is how it's gonna feel going down, but also like once you've eaten it, because you do have like taste buds in your stomach. You know, that's that's a part of There's definitely stuff that when you eat it or drink it, it's like, oh, I liked it when I was having it in my mouth, but then like there's just something about it that fucks me up once it's in my stomach.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 2: Wisdom, what Raquel? What is something you think is overrated?
Speaker 3: What do I think is overrated? Oh, at the risk of being political, the Democratic Party risk it.
Speaker 2: It's a mess.
Speaker 3: It's a mess. I mean, it's been a mess. But like I can't I can't with these folks who are like blue no matter who, like that kind of man.
Speaker 2: I'm just like, no, we it does matter. It actually does, right, That's I mean. I think a lot of peop don't realize it's a you are in a very luxurious, privileged position if you have the philosophy of I vote blue no matter who. Yeah, because there's so many factors around a political candidate or what a party's platform is. I mean we talk about this a lot on the show because we're very critical. We're like, you have to give us better options than this now, because like you can't keep promising folks certain things and then just like just ghost like you forgot about it. Yeah, you're like, no, we didn't forget about existential threats. What are you talking about? Like, I'm not going to drop these issues, but yeah, they did just feel a little bit like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And it's like those are the same folks who have the critique of conservatives that vote for any of the riff raft that they have. So I'm like, come on now, right, yeah, get what the program.
Speaker 2: I know. And I think there's a part of it too that.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 2: There's another thing. You always hear people be like, oh, so you want Trump to win. It's like, yeah, no, I don't want Trump to win. I'm telling you. I'm I'm saying, as a party that's courting someone's vote, you have to offer some someone. Just like sales. You can't be like you buy this piece of ship or else you gonna die. It's like, hold on like this, that's not how this transaction work. Car clearly hates you, but you have to buy it, and it will lie, it will say the tank is full, it's already. So yeah, and it's it's really about want. It's about saying like we deserve better as human beings, and the status quo is not good enough. So if you're coming with I'm here to maintain the status quote, guess what. The status quote is deadly to many people. So that's the thing I think more people could wrap their head around. It's not I'm trying. I don't want Trump to win. I don't want to. But okay, do you want you want me to get you a mega hut? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, when the glass my gosh, Okay, New York Times op ed writer, that's right, Yeah, but I mean, is there what do you is there specifically, like what are you looking at?
Speaker 2: And you know what's kind of getting you?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I'm definitely just, I guess pissed off. Not I guess I definitely am pissed off in this moment where all of the discourse coming out of what's happening to Palestinian folks is like that doesn't matter. Just just listen to the propaganda we're throwing at you. And it's like, no, people haven't have had real gripes about everything from student loans to the increased you know, issues around abortion not be access not being codified into law, and on and on, and you can't, you especially can't just tell people don't care about almost like twenty thousand folks being slaughtered right right with our life, Like that has to be a deal breaker, right, right, things should have been.
Speaker 2: But it is odd to be like I want to lead the country. I'm like, Okay, do you have like a good heart? Like ignore those deaths, right, that's.
Speaker 3: Ignore the money that we're throwing at it. That's also your money.
Speaker 2: Right, but don't think about Yeah, And I think and that's what's like, I think just it's a very interesting time because the Democrats they're struggling with like trying to sell Bidenomics, They're struggling with what to do with voters who are completely unsatisfied, upset about our foreign policy right now, especially as it relates to Gaza, and you know, like you're the they have a lot on their plate. But it feels like the easiest thing, which is so funny, is you just need to move a little bit away from the status quo and you will be saying things that resonate with many people, like if like, for example, just talking really forcefully about certain things as it relates to you know, codifying Roe v. Wade, or actual tangible reforms to how we do policing in this country, or tangible reforms to our social safety programs, like those are the kinds of things that people really pay attention to or they experience every day, rather than like you know, like how wages are getting compressed or whatever macroeconomic terms are being thrown around at people and then being told, oh, so you want Trump to win. You don't like Bidenomics, Like no, I'm people are struggling and they want to find a way that feels like they aren't anymore.
Speaker 1: And the fact that they're doing it so much as a oh you like, you know, you want Trump to win is essentially the whole strategy, and therefore like we don't have to give you these things that you need that you've been asking for, that we could give you in many cases, right is it's just so cynical, and it assumes that people don't notice that that's what they're doing, you know, right, yeah, And.
Speaker 3: We've been hearing that the last three presidential elections, Oh you want trumple in? I mean, even with the critiques of Hillary in twenty sixteen, right, you know, or of course in twenty twenty, and then now it's like y'all got to get some new folks up in the megs, like, let's get some new messages going because this is not working.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's wild that they still think they can keep playing people for votes and not deliver and then like when it doesn't work, then start turning up on people like, oh, so you want the opposite. It's like, excuse me, Uh, can I run back the tape of the things you said the last election campaign and how you went almost one to eighty on a lot of that stuff.
Speaker 1: That's what I'm talking about my hands are tied man, and I president of the United States.
Speaker 2: And that's what can I do. And it's true, right, there are instances where the president can't just push those things through, and so you have like this very you have this kind of vague middle ground to be like, well, you know, I tried, but also like I can't. But also I'm kind of saying I can't. It's it's yeah, it's it's confusing, and it's frustrating, and people are like looking at real like, you know, people need real help. And if if it doesn't feel like it's coming, how are we gonna get excited about a candidate? Yeah, Yeah, it's gonna be real.
Speaker 3: It's gonna be a fun twenty twenty four.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, to just the people literally bullshit, Yeah, this is gonna be a very exhausting time. What is something Raquel that you think is underrated?
Speaker 2: That show Rap Shit? Do y'all watch that?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 2: Is that the Ratio?
Speaker 3: The Race show on Max? I wish it got as much attention as Insecurity, But I love rap Shehit, and I love that it follows these two girls who are basically modeled after the City girls, and there's like one girl who like is like, you know, she's really got the flow, and then the other girl is like the hype person, right, but they're kind of reverse from Jays and Kresha, which I think is cool too.
Speaker 2: But I love the show. I think it's just it's dope, and I just wish more people talked about this, yeah, because it's in it's what second. I remember watching the first couple episodes of the first season and like really liking it. But I'm so bad at like finishing shows because there's so many shows that come out and I'm like, that's right, rap, shit, that's right these other shows. And the second season has been really good too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I mean, why don't you support black women for the long?
Speaker 2: Oh wow, put me off with me in that hot seat? No way, not today, No, I'm just with you. No. But it's been good.
Speaker 3: It's I think it's dope to just kind of watch it and I don't know, and I think I would like to see more of a comment area on the Wrap ecosystem for like women right right now. Yeah, of course, NICKI just dropped Pink Friday too, and so I'm curious what a character based off of Nicki would look like in that context too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and are they prepared for Nicky's response to being portrayed as a character. That's the thing, right, Yeah, NICKI is a character, right, I mean it's just like one of those I mean, I feel like we're always saying this, especially about like black lead shows, is the marketing is always just like what where's the where the billboards? Where are the advertisements? Because like half the time it's like all through you know, like social networking or whatever that you're hearing about shows and rather than like the traditional we're gonna smash this message into your head with like NonStop advertisements on YouTube, on like websites or whatever. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the only one that's that has got the full push behind it is Avid Elementary, right, Like that's the only one. I felt like in recent years that's just like people have been like we're going to elevate this and exhaust this, and like they're getting awards. I got to meet Sheryl Lee Ralph a few months.
Speaker 2: Ago, and she was sold out. She seems like the kind of person when she seems like she's the same person that you see like on screen, but like a human version in real life too. Is that kind of the p energy. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean she's just like encouraging Auntie and just like with the shits and everything.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I feel like that show was such a hit that like they couldn't fucking they couldn't not market it and like put it out in front.
Speaker 2: But yeah, rap shit.
Speaker 1: I remember seeing the preview at the end of insecurity, like they were they were like, and this is the next thing, this is the next thing to watch.
Speaker 2: And I saw that one preview.
Speaker 1: I've never heard about it again until just right now.
Speaker 2: So okay check this out. Yeah, I fully Yeah.
Speaker 3: And then of course, you know, Beyonce is very underrated, So do you see the movie?
Speaker 2: Of course I was.
Speaker 3: It was great, fabulous.
Speaker 2: I enjoyed it.
Speaker 3: I enjoyed the process of like seeing her create it, and I mean just the way that they kind of take you through the show and then she she does include some moments of imperfection, you know, but it's still Beyonce, so it's still like perfect imperfection, right right right. It's like, yes, all the sounds, all the sound went off in the in the studio or in the stadium when you are in it, but you also just still look flawless.
Speaker 7: And hit every mark so right, still made it work. Yeah yeah, wow, So that was encouraging as Beyonce. As the Virgo does, as the Virgo dies.
Speaker 1: All right, let's take a quick break and we'll come back and hit some news story. We'll be right back, and we're back, And there's a lawsuit that was getting intention in Texas over their horrifying abortion laws.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Real, insidious, fucked up, confusing, cruel, every I mean, whatever word you want to use. So this woman, Kate Cox, had the misfortune of being alive in Texas basically at a time where the laws are draconian and confusing, except for the fact that they're basically intended to punish people for exercising any kind of bodily autonomy. And you know, she's had two children with her husband, and then tragically, her most recent pregnancy was complicated with this diagnosis of trisomy eighteen, which is an untreatable lethal genetic anomaly. And so in any humane state, you know, this Kate Cox would be free to have an abortion and bring an end to a very painful medical personal saga. But since she's in Texas, she had to be the first person since Roe versus Wade in nineteen seventy three to sue in order to request permission for the procedure, and so I'm just like the rest of the story kind of plays like this, because there's like a lot of back and forth where we end up with just like it's just you're like, what the fuck is going on? So she sued, and the Travis County District Judge Maya Gara Gamble issued a temporary restraining order on the grounds that Cox's life was in fact her life and ability to have children were at risk. So she was like, Okay, I'm gonna I'm issuing this temporary restraining order. Hours later, the legendary piece of crap ag Ken Paxton gets involved. I don't know how he's still in office, like with all these investigations and his shit. Anyway, he gets involved and claims that Cox actually acted illegally under Texas law and warned the hospitals and doctors involved with her care that they would be opened a felony prosecution. So they're like, oh shit, Okay. Then, so at that point Cox said I'm off this. She flees the state to go have the abortion because she wasn't willing to wait for the courts to decide her basically her fate, And while this was happening, Paxton then petitioned the state Supreme Court and they a few days later, the Supreme Court overturned the lower court's decision. And this is the really fucked up part, right. They overturned the decision not because they don't think she needs the care, but because their sort of cheatment is, well, she just messed up by trying to sue her way into an abortion. They said, quote, a woman who meets the medical necessity exception need not seek a court order to obtain an abortion. Under the law, it is a doctor who must decide that a woman is suffering from a life threatening condition during pregnancy, raising the necessity for an abortion to save her life or to prevent impairment of a major bodily function. The law leaves it. The law leaves to physicians, not judges, both the discretion and the responsibility to exercise there. This is the key phrase here, reasonable medical judgment, right, given the unique facts and circumstances of each patient. So they're saying, hey, we're not trying to meddle in a doctor's decision. Are you look like the bad guy? Here, what's your fucking problem? Now you're making me angry? Oh my, well, now I don't know what to do. Now now I'm teed off. Because really, as long as the doctor is using their reasonable medical judgment, like then everything is all good. It almost makes you feel like it's a good thing. But the term is so problematically vague. It's essentially like daring doctors to perform an abortion, since a judge technically can't give permission or give guarantees to a doctor or hospital that they will not be like, there will not be legal penalties for this. But that way, the doctors could very easily go from fucking around and entering the find out phase if a prosecutor just feels the urge to pursue charges. So it's like this very very like it's just such a cat twenty two of cruelty that, yeah, this is all happening against this backdrop. Luckily, from what we've heard, she's had her procedure, she's recovering, and it's just unfortunate that she, you know, had to go all through all of this just for the court to come background and be like, well, actually, I don't know if you actually have any to say so and what to do with your own body.
Speaker 1: I told them to go ahead and make my day. There was a very friendly thing for me to do when I said that, you know, ignoring the fact that I was holding a giant gun on.
Speaker 3: Them is basically yeah, yeah, I mean, it's I mean, it's so disgusting the the fights from conservatives to keep people from owning what happens to their body. And even with the evidence that there are life threatening situations where this is necessary care like abortion access is necessary. Yeah, they're still so callous in their attacks on folks, and it's just annoying. I mean. And these are also the same folks, especially in Texas, that are saying, you know, trans function have access to healthcare that impacts our lives, right right that I mean Ken Paxson is one of the same officials that basically called for investigating families that are affirming of trans youth.
Speaker 2: Right. So, these folks are disgusting.
Speaker 3: But I think these moments are opportunities for us to understand how so many of these attacks are intersect with each other absolutely, you know, and those down ballid races. I know, we were harping on the presidential part of the elections coming up, But these down ballid races really matter, especially in these states, these battleground.
Speaker 2: States, because yeah, like for I'm sure a lot of politicians too, it's like they're running in like maybe a purple district, don't want to be forceful about talking about reaffirming body autonomy for whether that's for people seeking abortions or gender affirming care whatever. They don't want to they don't want to wade into that, and they don't say anything or say like they don't want to touch an issue like that. But when we don't have people advocating for these rights, it's these kinds of like you have to think that these are the realities that lived outcomes for people when we don't have our representatives advocating for all of us to make sure that we're saying, well, here's a baseline of care that we have to establish for every person, or these are the basic human rights that you have. And so when you don't say things like that to me, I'm hearing you don't care if people lose their lives, or you don't care if people aren't able to live their life in the way that gives them the most peace and most happiness. And the most fulfilling and yeah, like I think that's where some people it's easy to maybe brush aside sort of issues like this, but it they translate into real life tragedy, like tragic stories like this where a woman is like asking a court if like she can save her own life and they're like, well, yeah, I mean, but you didn't ask the right way. Yeah, but I guess, and then they have to go. In one of the articles, it is wow to hear how it was described as she had to go to a free state to get an abortion, and I'm like, whoa, my god, we're using this kind of language again. Okay, okay, so why did you go to why did you go to the courts? You're acting hysterically, You're right, what are you doing? Just talk to your doctor, who we will sue and put in prison. It's the doctor who is the one that will determine it, not the legislators who created these laws like made it illegal. What are you talking with You're just being You're you're being crazy. Yeah, that's what that's what it feels.
Speaker 1: That's his energy is there will there be a wave of these people like getting kicked out of office, like what once because because it is like bodily autonomy is such a pop like a winning political issue. Yeah, like are well, when is this motherfucker back up for you know, to like it feels like a with an easy thing for the Democratic the Democrats to win on. Now obviously they're able to fuck up an easy election like it's their job, but does.
Speaker 2: Feel like I don't know, hopefully there will be these people will be swept out of office, like as it becomes as their record on like restricting body autonomy, yeah, come reaches the ballot. It's a tough one. I feel like on some cases, when you have something like a ballot proposition or something that changes like the state's constitution, it's easy for everybody to be like yeah, yeah, yeah, fine, fine. But then I think because you know, in those instances, you definitely have Republicans voting to affirm those kinds of things. They're like yeah, you know, okay, like we yeah, change the constitution. But then if it came down to like a down ballot race, I don't know if that's that criteria will matter as much if they're kind of like I don't want to vote for a Democrat, like you know, voting for a Democrat versus just voting to say I believe that the constitution should say that you have a right to an abortion, you know, And I think that's where it gets a little tricky for people, and then you know, the cognitive dissonance kicks in.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, and there have been some wins, like even this year, like in Ohio there.
Speaker 2: Was a win adding red state.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, adding the right to abortion and to their state constitutions. So I mean it's just hard in those battleground states. I mean from you know, we know that there were issues tampering with votes and you know, with some of these machines and everything. Not to give any credence to the bs that Trump spews, right, but there is like particularly voter suppression.
Speaker 2: That's just openly one of their techicsperience.
Speaker 3: Right, but it's overwhelmingly used by them, right, So it's a projection that it's happening more on the other side.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, yeah, yeah, So I mean we have again it is good. Like I was talking to a friend of mine who works in like abortion advocacy, and I would say, like, I it's got to be like bitter sweet, right because even though like these state legislatures are enacting these laws when it comes to a vote, like people are like they're they're taking l's every time when it comes to trying to deny people those rights. And they were just sort of saying like, yeah, like it's it's nice, but the fact that we even had to start over is just really the hardest fucking part of it all is because we're truly like we're trying to put fires out constantly everywhere to try and make sure people aren't, you know, having to take risks with their own life to exercise their own human rights. So yeah, yeah, I.
Speaker 3: Mean, it's it's just ridiculous. But I mean, I hope that people will understand that they're all connected to these issues, right like everybody is. Destiny is kind of on the chopping block when any of us can't access to the healthcare we need.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, Yeah, all right, let's take a quick break and we'll be right back. And we're back, and we're back, and Ohio, you know, they they strayed from the path. They were a red state and they strayed over to try and be a green state, and they're about to reap the rewards, about to feel feel the burn of the devil's whip.
Speaker 2: Something like this.
Speaker 1: That's the worst smell you'll ever That's what the cup at my Dare program in Dayton, Ohio did. Is he me smell a weed pipe. That's the worst smell you'll ever smell. That smells pretty fucking good, you said, yumy, Like I don't smoke weed now, but that smells great.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, like like we were saying. Right in Ohio, not only did they codify abortion access to their constitution, the voters there also they passed a measure legalizing marijuana possession, growing in sales for anyone over twenty one. And obviously, you know there's almost like twenty three ish four states already that have recreational laws on their books. But you know, this was a moment for a woman named Aubrey Adams, the director of the anti weed organization Every Brain Matters Shit, to go to a the state center had a general Government committee meeting where they were basically taking public comment, and she took that moment to let really just warn everybody that marijuana a bomb is about to go off in the state if something isn't done, so I will let Aubrey Atoms take it away.
Speaker 6: Ohio voters were fooled into thinking marijuana is less harmful than alcohol. It's not. One swallow of alcohol can induce psychotic behaviors.
Speaker 3: One one hit.
Speaker 6: Can, and two hits from marijuana bong can. That's what happened to brim Space Shier in Thousand Oaks, California.
Speaker 2: This goes down a list of people who smoked a marijuana bong twice and then.
Speaker 1: Like committed crimes well like out of their mind on marijuana bods.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, I.
Speaker 1: Would just love comparison of the statistics of people who committed crime due to marijuana, the people who committed crime or drove drunk due to alcohol, and how many lives were lost, just in a comparison for people driving twenty miles below the speed limit because they're too high.
Speaker 2: Just people, I mean loosely right, Excessive drinking causes more than one hundred and forty thousand deaths per year in the United State States, you know what I mean? And I think, while yes, there are there there is something like the evidence that high doses of THC could leak cause temporary episodes that is far from being like the norm. Yeah, And also you know, I think it is commendable to care about the impact that this may have on youth or whatever, because clearly, like kids are getting into edibles a lot more. That's like the one statistic that does go up when like there is legalizations, Like kids are finding adults edibles and then getting fucking ripped off of them and then go to the hospital and shit like that. I think that is something absolutely that you can put your attention on. But this whole thing, this feel like this like round of fear mongering to me, doesn't really feel like we're trying to keep kids away, but here trying to feel feels a little bit like we're trying to maintain the status quo where weed is a drug and then a drug that you know mostly sees black and brown people put in jail. I mean her her organization is called Every Brain Matters, So it feels like some All Brain Matters. It feels like some all lives matter type shit for demonizing weeds and like oh no, no, no no. But the website has a cool T shirt that says even zombies like healthy brains. Doesn't she go on to be.
Speaker 1: Like two hits or maybe it was in that quote two hits off a marijuana bong can do that, and she.
Speaker 2: Goes on to she elaborates about someone who took to more than two hits off a marijuana bomb.
Speaker 1: Yes, and then I will say the closest I've ever felt to any sort of like you know, being out of control of my own mental capacities was being too high and it lasted for a couple hours, and I learned not to get too high anymore. And granted, like I I think there are you know, for kids, it can be really fucked up, and you know, some people who have pre existing conditions, it can be bad for them. I would say the same thing is true of like getting drunk, you know, right. So it just in comparing these two things, I feel like in my experience when I got too high, I wanted to disappear completely and did my best to do that and just like go in a room by myself and freak out about what people were saying about me. And then when I drank too much, I was a menace to myself and others. So it's just interesting that this is what she has chosen to attack, and that she specifically raised alcohol as a thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, I just I feel like the us, like we just have a horrible way of like talking about nuance and just in general, Like when I think about being a young kid and you know, there was like dare and like all that stuff. It's like the idea that there's this binary of indulging or not indulging, like indulging too much and not indulging. It doesn't really reflect the real lives of people. Like if we have like this healthier understanding of like you're probably gonna drink, you know, like in other countries where the drinking age doesn't have to be like ninety for like folks to understand maybe what their relationship should be. And I don't know those statistics, so I'm not an expert in that, but I just feel like we just got to be realistic with young folks, like you're probably gonna drink. This is what makes sense, right. You got to listen to your body, figure out what works for you as you become of age and work through it.
Speaker 2: But the idea that you won't.
Speaker 3: Ever drink or you won't ever smoke, it's just pass.
Speaker 2: It's same thing with like sex education too, is this sort of yeah, I don't know you better, I'm not gonna tell you we're not gonna tell you anything about that. And then what's going on with all these like unwanted pregnancies or things like that, or people like not being completely unaware of how safe sex is or what sex is. Or I remember the other day I was at a farmer's market and I heard these teens arguing about safe sex, and it was the wildest shit I had ever heard in my life, Like like this one young girl told other ones. She's like, oh yeah, like pulling out is like ninety eight percent effective. She said that shit with a straight face. And my partner her mouth for you to.
Speaker 5: You know, we were walking by and we were like I almost like no, Like I was, I didn't want to be like, you know, I'm not going to be there like the nearly forty year old dude just pulling up to some teenager like.
Speaker 2: Oh, yo yo, who told you that? Who told you that? But it was like a moment where like I heard these like three kids. One was very forceful about and the other two were like oh really, And I was like, oh no, y'all, no, this is not it.
Speaker 3: This is And it was probably like some guy that she was messing with that's hold herd that was probably.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I'm sure. I'm sure one hundred percent of the misinformation about the effectiveness of pulling out comes from fucking dudes. That's just I think, Yeah, that's I think that's a universal truth. But I mean, like, yeah, to your point, we have such a like this puritanical outlook on so many things that it all it does is obscure things for kids or create these like really unhealthy relationships to them. Like so if something is like so exotic or like been demonized as a kid, and then you get out of the house, yeah, it's completely different. It's completely different because you don't know what you're gonna do or what you're about to get into if you come from a place or house that wasn't willing to discuss things open.
Speaker 3: Right, and like if you do get in trouble, you do get wasted or super high and you need someone to pick you up, Like you can't call like your parents in general, because they're gonna freak out. And it's like, yeah, maybe if you were just listening and understanding, right, Yeah, a different story.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I had very like my parents are very they were very much on like, look, don't fuck your life. Up, but they're like, we know. My dad would be like, do not drink a bunch of champagne. He's like, the last thing you want to do. It's like one of the first things he told me, Like, it's gonna you will be so hungover the first the very that's.
Speaker 1: The best example of the thing I was saying earlier. That tastes good in your mouth and then in your stomach. It's like, whoa boy, what is happening down here?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Exactly. Immediate cut to my first fucked up hangover, Like drinking high school. I drink like almost like a three quarters of a bottle of Southern Comfort. Yeah, and the sugar in that you say, yeah, I was like, there wasn't on the list or whatever. However, I was willing. Like my parents, we're also like, please, don't ever feel like you cannot call us to get you out of a situation, Like even if you think we're gonna get mad at you, like, we don't want you to feel like you have no options. So for that I am grateful because they were open enough to be like, look, we might we might get in your ass afterwards, but at least give us the chance to maybe take you out of a bad situation. I only I never did it though, never did it because I feared my parents.
Speaker 3: Never said that, my my Catholic, devout parents. I almost got in trouble after going to a party and coming back and smelling like as my mom would say, refer and I didn't even know what it smelled like, Like that was like one of the only parties I ever went to in high school. And I was like, well, shit, you know, like I'm going to get in trouble and I didn't even get to have fun in that.
Speaker 2: Way, right, you know, Oh, you should have talked to my dare officer. He let me smell it.
Speaker 1: I will say one thing related to this, Clearly label your edibles. If you're gonna put a tray of edibles out at a holiday party, for instance, and you don't want somebody, a middle aged person.
Speaker 2: To have to leave on a stretcher. Yeah that maybe maybe clearly level bows that's getting I've seen that more and more. Yeah, I just states that have rec where there's like they'll always be like an edible tray, and I'm like, what I'm like, the last thing I want to do is eat edibles at a party, Like you want to just curl up on the couch and watch TV. They had that ship out like it was a candy like bowl, like a It is not not good, right.
Speaker 5: Right, right?
Speaker 3: And I wish this woman what was her name again.
Speaker 2: Aubrey, Aubrey, I was gonna say, Aubrey O day.
Speaker 3: From had the perfect opportunity to talk about how deadly Panera bread is.
Speaker 2: Right, she blew it right. I know the caffeine we were just we were touching on that the other day. But I mean for people who don't know, we talked about this story about how one young woman like had who had a heart condition like passed away from drinking all of those charged lemonades. Then another dude died he had three three in the car, three in the car. Heart stop. Yo, still have not had one.
Speaker 1: And I'm very proud of myself because that is the sort of shit I would normally be all over Yeah, yeah, all right.
Speaker 2: Should we talk about human dog beds? Please? Please? Quel? What do you know about? What do you know about the human dog bed.
Speaker 3: Under?
Speaker 6: What is this?
Speaker 2: So this is all over TikTok in the past year, like the idea, I think, I think, like I first saw about I think super producer on Josie was like this, like, then send it to all of us future. This is the future. It very well may be.
Speaker 1: Burger King is marketing a two hundred dollars bun shaped dog bed for humans, partnering with plus pluffyle Plufful company built on the notion that, yeah, that is a chill name, isn't it pluffy.
Speaker 2: She's back in, She's back in, Oh Plufful, I'm not back in.
Speaker 3: I can I you know, just like, at the risk of alienating folks, this sounds like peak white culture. I just want to name that, but.
Speaker 2: Oh, you're way off.
Speaker 1: Two Canadian university students, after one of them noticed a dog comfortably sleeping and a custom made doug that at a campus coffee shops not white at all, where like, hey, that kind of looks comfortable, they were I think business students are like economic students, and so took their idea to Shark Tank and got two hundred thousand dollars for twenty percent of the company, And then the beds went viral on TikTok and even before the burger King thing, CBS called the regular, non burger King version of the bed. The viral Christmas gift of twenty twenty three. But I just I think this is I think people want this, Like is this.
Speaker 3: Like a bean bag? Like is that like a bean bag? Or like what happens to futons, you know, like or day bad.
Speaker 2: Right, they're so easy to roll out of. I guess this has little sides like a little pouch that you can just throw up in. Right, you could go full fetal and no, there's no risk of going out. Do you think Jack, this is we want to be we want to be pets?
Speaker 1: I think we I think this is like the beginning of something awful that is going to happen to white people. I think they're I think we are. We want like we're gonna start eating like like dog bowls of treats off of the ground. I think we're going to have a human dog walker who comes and takes us to the park and like runs us around, which is just like a personal trainer, but like with less pressure. They don't look like as ripped as a personal trainer. They're just like someone who's like all right, run back and forth and like throws a ball that you can chase. They'll they'll take you around on leisure off depending on what you're into. But yeah, just having someone come sit next to you and like pet you in a totally non sexual way.
Speaker 2: Like Drew Barrymore did to Oprah. Did she what did you see that? No, she was like she was Oprah was on her show and she was caressing Oprah while talking to her, and everybody's like, what the fuck is.
Speaker 3: Is interesting? I don't There's something about the way that she reaches out to like build intimacy with folks physically when she's interviewing them that fills like.
Speaker 2: Robotic.
Speaker 3: It's weird, it's I should touch you this point right.
Speaker 2: It feels like a like an ai is trying to pretend it's human.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like this is like this is this is her open I'm available, I can do it. She's like something that I break her hands.
Speaker 2: She's holding her arms with Oprah, like.
Speaker 1: How do you do this to the Queen of England? Because you're doing it to the Queen of the United States and it's trying to get away. She's like adjusted like get the fuck off of me, please.
Speaker 3: This is what I think white women do. And like when you're drunk in the restroom.
Speaker 2: And like you're like this en daring or are you gonna murder me? Like what are you doing right deep in your eyes?
Speaker 1: I think I think just people are people just want Like this came up in one of the story we covered about like dating sites and like the some of the weird things of like get yourself like a high earning like partner.
Speaker 2: Oh, high value male, high value male, high.
Speaker 1: Value female, like all that bullshit. But like it comes back to people just want to get any excuse to get out of the fucking bullshit of day to day life in America, like having to like you know, work and deal with you know, work with the threat of dying, like and you know, be it not being being unhoused like that that's stressful as fuck. Like and that's what life in America is. Is like if oh, you lose your job or you have an injury and your health insurance doesn't cover it, like you're fucked.
Speaker 2: So it's a lot. And like it doesn't surprise me that people are like, you know, what looks good is like my dog's life, right, No, because I think, like, you know, it's not that people want to be like a quadruped or something and take a shit in a park or something. They want the pet lifestyle, like to your point, like, yeah, look, I'm not trying to yuck anybody's young, but I think what this really is to your point, it's like you want to have the pet lifestyle, meaning you don't want to you don't like you're not having to work, no responsibility except to clean yourself, sleep and eat. Like there are times I remember going out, like going to work, leaving the house and don't look at my dog or my cats, just like laying down all fucking day. And I'm like, oh, y'all think you got it made huh Okay, I see you guys. And then in my mind, I'm like, but that's balling, that's yeah, you know what I mean. And so I think it's it's a rejection of the toil, but in a cute, comfy way. Yeah, but I think, but it's weird because it's the most literal version. It's like, you know, we could maybe try and get a little more active out there, and we can. I mean, I get it, man, we're trying to advocate for ourselves ever we can. And some people have just arrived at the dog bed point where they're like I'll just.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, that's their young I think we're just preparing for the AI takeover and the robot robot takeover.
Speaker 2: Your chats. They're not going to take over our ship though, Nay, I going to replicate us. We're so good. Yeah, we're so good that we are so good. We are so good at this rock.
Speaker 1: Well, Raquel will it's such a pleasure having you on the show. Where can people find you? Follow you, read you all that good stuff.
Speaker 3: Well, don't read me too hard. You can find me at Roquel Willis dot com. My memoir The Risk It Takes to Bloom, all about my experience growing up in the South queer and into my trans identity and then my work.
Speaker 2: You'll find it all there.
Speaker 3: And then check out my podcast Afterlives, which focuses on the life and life legacy of Leileen Polanco and Afro Latina, who died in Ryker's custody, which is really heavy note to end on, but we have some glimmers of hope in the series, so it's not all doom and gloom.
Speaker 2: Go check it out. And you got another show it's coming up too, and another show.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So stay tuned for Queer Chronicles, which follows the experiences of queer and Trans te teens and red States, so it'll be an important political year kind of glimpse into their lives.
Speaker 2: And what was it like.
Speaker 3: Producing that show? I mean, one of the things that I've been very interested in is like how we get young folks to tell their stories on their own terms. I mean, I was I was listening to All about Love by Bell Hooks because I'm that girl, and not to be extra, but listening to it, and she was talking about how like youth in our society really don't have full rights, like we don't really see them as full human beings. And I think that that's so true, Like we often filter their experiences through our like MOULDI old adult lens, and so especially for Clear and transis like they deserve to speak for themselves, not have conservative politicians who don't have the range trying to talk about their experiences and then not having adults be all paternalistic and we got to defend and protect you because you can't suit for yourself, right, Yeah, yeah, we'll have to.
Speaker 2: Please. Is there a work of media that you've been enjoying.
Speaker 3: I have been reading this book called People Collide by Isle McElroy. They're a non binary novelist.
Speaker 2: But they the book is like about this.
Speaker 3: Sis straight couple that some kind of way switches bodies and so it's an interesting like novel. I'm like, I'm like a third of the way through it, but I'm having a good time, so amazing. And then Fortnite of course that counts pay.
Speaker 2: Lego Fortnite or is that like that's that's a little too juvenile for you.
Speaker 3: I know, I guess that's just there's like a Lego thing going on right now, right right, right.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, everybody's trying to get me to Lego Fortnite. I'm like, I'm terrible at Fortnite, but little no.
Speaker 3: I mean, I'll give it a chance. But you know, I I started playing Fortnite during the Marvel season, so I got a little spoiled with all of the character because every season isn't like that or chapter isn't like that. But I guess I'll end up force to play Lego Fortnite at some point.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, eventually we all have to answer the call. Let go for miles?
Speaker 1: Where can people find you as their work media you've been enjoying.
Speaker 2: Uh, find me on the at base platforms at Miles of Gray if you want to hear Jack and I talk basketball, Miles and Jack got mad Boost see that's our NBA podcast. And if you want to hear me talk about my favorite reality trash show, ninety day Fiance, check me out on four to twenty day Fiance with Sofia Alexandra A tweet I like there's a first one. It's from Ana Fitzpatrick at Banana Fits tweeted, my only advice to young aspiring writers is to befriend people with nice apartments and offer to cat sit when they go out of town. That is a move, you know, always try and find the person that you can, you know, kind of get away from your living situation from and cats it. That's it, whatever, dogs it. I did that a lot. And then also their stuff and use it as inspiration for your writing, right yeah, download some of their specscripts and then punch them up. I punched up a couple of scripts while you were gone, just over wrote the original, so you know, this is probably the better way anyway. And then at Noah Garfi Cold this is a very la tweet, but I said, very impressed by the not that in shape guy jogging laps around Echo Park and sagging jeans and no shirt. There's so many people you see exercising in the city where you're not sure if they're running from something or jogging. So yeah, sagging gee, I love a sagging jean job, you know, I love to see that.
Speaker 1: Can find me on Twitter at Jack Underscore O'Brien tweet I've been enjoying Corey at cool map game tweeted first.
Speaker 2: Guy to go bird watching. Someone needs to be watching those fucking things. Don't trust it. You can find us on Twitter at daily Zeikeeist. We're at the Daily Zeikeist on Instagram.
Speaker 1: We have a Facebook fan page and a website daily zeikeist dot com where we post our episodes and our foot note.
Speaker 2: Where we link off to the information that.
Speaker 1: We talked about today's episode, as well as a song that we think you might enjoy. Miles, what something do we think people might enjoy?
Speaker 2: Ye, you will enjoy e this track by Matt wild D which that just kind of worked out Matt Wilde with a E on the end. It's called Nostalgia. He's like a British piano keys player new jazz and I just like it's like easy listening. But if you like hip hop, it feels like, you know, like a boom back beat that would you know, maybe high tech made on the you know, the live album or something most of that, who knows. But it's a really great soothing track. It's called Nostalgia by Matt Wilde. Just just you know, relax, relax, relax. It just put on the back.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, well we will link off to that in the footnotes.
Speaker 2: Daily Guys is a production of by Heart Radio. For more podcasts my Heart Radio, visit the iHeart Radio, ap Apple Podcasts
Speaker 1: Or wherever you listen to podcast this afternoon to tell you what's is trending and we will talk to you all then Bye bye