Speaker 1: Do you have a lot of stickers on the top of your laptop that face the crowd? I don't so I when I the dumbest question, but.
Speaker 2: When I learned to dj uh huh, I started with the laptop, and I like made the point to never use the laptop.
Speaker 1: Tash Show, Cash Shows Show. Welcome to Toash Show. I'm Daniel, and I got good news for some of you and bad news for the rest of you. Eddie's not here. Well, guess what Eddie two can play at this game next week? I won't be here, probably wondering why I'm I'm putting on a little bit of a twang with my voice. It's because I've been watching Ransom Canyon, okay, and you're about to get some spoilers. So if you're not finished with Ransom Canyon, you're gonna want to either skip over this or or you're gonna just want to turn this episode off right now. Ransom Canyon it's a show on Netflix starring Josh Dumel, Tad Hamilton, Fergie's X. It's basically what I would describe as like a sexy Hallmark Lifetime version of Yellowstone. Is that in the Ballpark? Okay? I mean, that's what they were trying to go for it, but it's just it's ridiculous. Minka Kelly is that her name? Oh man, she's in there forty four and just still just as beautiful as the first time I laid eyes on her in Friday Night Lights. There's a lot of problems with this show. It is horrible. Okay that I'm getting that out of the way. My wife started watching the first episode. I was doing things around the house. Halfway through the first episode, I said, well, I'm done doing stuff until this is over, and we watched it. By the way, the show is sexy. I don't understand this Netflix. At the beginning of the show, it tells you like this, you know, the episode little warning in the corner and it would say nudity, But a lot of episodes didn't have nudity. It was like there was some nudity eventually in the series, but it wasn't. Don't get excited when you've seen nudity on the first four episodes. There's no nudity. Second thing that I have a huge problem with this show is its location, the geography. They're you know, they're West Texas and it's beautiful. Now Anybody that's been to Lubbock knows what a shithole West Texas really is. It's just there's no beautiful vistas, nothing. And I've seen people comming about this. The time of the year is confusing. Just the mountains, the canyons, it's just all breadth. Meanwhile, the home all look like just unbelievable aspen you know, multi million dollar you know, ranches that doesn't doesn't Reek of West Teger. They're all ranchers. Nobody ranches, very little to no ranching goes on. Also horribly depressing, Like the show starts out Josh Dumal, what's his name, His name is Stanton Stanton. Stanton's wife dies and then the first episode then his son dies. Hey, so he's just a big depressed guy and he can't bang Minka Kelly. Meanwhile, if that were my situation, day one of my wife being gone, me and Mika Kelly are going at it, That's that's a given. That's what my wife would want, especially her, I mean, she would understand, she'd have to. She'd be like, I get it, I'm gone. You know, you never know when she's gonna lock it lock it down with another one heard that's what I was googling the people that she's dated. That list is long and impressive. Good for her. She went like from from Derek Jeter to Trevor Trevor, Noah. I'm not going to tell you what direction I think that is. But Austin Water and Power they're they're trying to buy the land to run a pipe through through the town. None of it makes sense. Oh you know another thing doesn't make sense. But one time Davis, who's uh Statton's brother in law, one time he's trying to close the deal with Mika Kelly, he goes and buys her pizza. But somebody online looked it up and that is at a minimum of a four hour drive from wherever where they're pretending to be to get that pizza in the big city and then back. So also, also, did I mentioned that that Quinn Mika Kelly is being torn this whole time because she's being invited to be at the Philharmonic Orchestra because she's a pianist and she's amazing, but she doesn't want to give up on this horrible life here in West Texas. Some shitty bar, it's not even a bar, it's a dance hall. That's a dance hall. So that's really it's tale as old as time, where I oh, I could be with hot Josh Dumel or the Philharmonic Orchestra. And I'm be honest with you, if you gun to my head, do I want to be the philh Harmonic Orchestra or be with Josh Umel? I don't know what I pick, although I'd probably picked Philharmonic Orchestra because I saw Josh Dumel in Jeff Lewis my doppelganger's reality home makeover show, and I was like, Oh, this he's a He's not that impressive upstairs. If you ask me, I don't know. I don't even know what else I want to talk about this show. So oh, and the whole time, he's trying to figure out his son who drove away mad and there's anger and that he died that night, but apparently he thinks there was somebody else in the road, and like a year later, he just casually picks up half the bumper of the truck that was involved in the accident, like you're in. The sheriff doesn't want to, you know, doesn't want to investigate it at none of this matters. No one's ranching, and he's always always has time to be at this bar. That Mika Kelly. And by the way, her little business partner, who I think is Mexican because she speaks Spanish, but you know, other people can speak Spanish that aren't Mexican. I think she's Native American. I couldn't tell for sure. Her ex boyfriend definitely seemed Native American. Anyway, She's got a butt that is just, honestly like, I didn't even hesitate when we were watching it with my wife, just I immediately just paused it and rewound it and paused it again and was like, well, let's just let's just look at this for a little bit. They didn't show her butt like the first four episodes, and then they start showing her butt and I'm like, oh my goodness, it's the greatest but I've ever seen. She's Yancy, but I have an issue with his name Yancey. I just finished watching Bad Monkey on Apple TV, and that was, you know, Vince Vaughan's character was Yancey, and they got a narrator what's his name, Tom? What's his name Tom? NOWICKI Every episode is just like, you know, Yancey didn't know that he was, So now I'm doing that every time this Yancey is on screen, I'm like, well, one thing is for sure, Yancey bit off a little more than he can chew with that ass. Uh you get it. By the way, you do find out that the killer was his cousin, the other kid, who's a mixed kid. You don't know, you know he's mixed. You're you're confused by his look because Dave is the dad, Like, how does that your son? But then you meet the mom and she's just a what's her name, Paula Joe? Right, So then you're like, by the way, there's just no way that Apaula Joe lives out in the middle of nowhere, fucking Texas. It makes no sense. Oh, then you find out that this other high school kid was banging the sheriff's wife, and what again, I told you spoiler alert. Anyway, eventually the sheriff goes and arrests his wife. She got in a fight with her daughter, who's like a cheerleader but wants to be a cheerleader at ut but she can't because she can't go to the tryouts because it's the same time as something else and her dad will I don't know why. Why did her dad say she couldn't go to the tryouts.
Speaker 2: Because she was dating Lucas and he wouldn't sign the permission slip.
Speaker 1: Oh, because she was dating Lucas wouldn't sign. Okay, that's right, Dale, So he was vengeful. The father's sheriff, Shocking isn't a good dad, but a great sheriff. She had a bad ankle and she didn't land a back tuck, but then later on her dad gets her another, uh you know, tryout for UT's cheerleading squad, Like, well, who cares? Just go? You don't think cheering at Texas A and M would be fun? That's right over there. The casting is confusing on this show. They didn't do a great job of making people look like who they're supposed to be related to. And nobody sells their land, or they do sell their land, but they refuse to. There was a rodeo at some point you have to throw this last bull riding event. You need to fall off at four seconds, and he doesn't. He stays on for the full eight seconds or however long you're supposed to ride a bull.
Speaker 3: Eight seconds Dylan.
Speaker 1: They haven't even announced that there's going to be a season two of this show, which is bonkers because the end of the episode is like the end of soap opera where there's fifteen unanswered questions. Oh what if there isn't a season two? Then all of this was for not My wife's biggest problem with the show, well, she just kept saying, well, why don't they just arrest whoever owned a blue Ford F one fifty or whatever the truck? Was like, it's a small town. Don't they just know? Oh, so and so has that truck? Where's he been? The end? I was like, I don't know, let's just keep watching, but trying to you don't win anything for solving stuff. And she also complained constantly that Reid Davis's son his like Western ranch clothes always looked like they were just bought from Target that day, Like they were like still stiff and had seams in it. It wasn't like worn clothes. That was her gripe. Everyone has a gripe. Why can't we just sit back and appreciate that Josh Dumel at fifty five is hotter than Brad Pitt. Huh there I said it speaking of desert lands, my guest today she lives out there in the heat, not that imaginary town of Ransom Canyon. She lives out like in the Cella Valley. Enjoy Psha. My guest today always get the crowd sweated, not just because she's the hottest DJ in the Coachella Valleys where temperature sword into the triple digits. Let's get the party started. Give it up for DJ Tina Turntables. How many times you hit in the DJ airhorn during a set?
Speaker 2: None? None? I should though, I gotta bring it back.
Speaker 1: You uh DJ'd my audio guy Dylan's wedding. Tell me did he try to tinker with your equipment before the reception? Totally mess up the audio? Because that's the kind of movie does around here all the time.
Speaker 2: No, no, he's saying back. He say, I.
Speaker 1: Good, you'll never get your levels right if he starts touching him. Do you believe in ghosts? Yes, Tina, I've never been more confident about my read on some Have you ever experienced ghosts?
Speaker 2: Well, it's hard because it's like it's ghosts, but you could say, just like the supernatural, I feel like I'm kind of a conspiracy theorist on my free time, and so I don't know, I feel like there's something more out there. I don't know if it's always ghosts, but like energies, frequencies. The thing is is that I've had like really really close people that I like spent a lot of time with. They passed on because we had so many references. There's things that have happened that only they can explain, and so like when these things happen after they've passed on, I just this is like a lot of magic that this world has brought.
Speaker 1: I don't believe a word you're saying that it's awesome to hear. Do you have any siblings? Yes, full disclosure. I know about your thirty three year old virgin brother.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, also a comedian, so older. We're Irish Irish hood twins.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when did you unpack all this luggage?
Speaker 2: Well, you know, it's because my father was a rolling stone, so all throughout my life, like my mom's a full rule follower and then my father's completely eccentric in every way, So I guess like in those opposites. But it's nice because she raised me with the structure and you know, the rules, and then my father showed me the what's outside the rules and how the rules are flexible. Oh wow, and you know it's.
Speaker 1: There might not be rules at all.
Speaker 2: Hey, right, it's just based on the moment. And so with my father, I got closer to him in my adult life.
Speaker 1: You tell me that I could just leave my kids now and then have a good relationship with them in twenty years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, all right.
Speaker 1: Hold on, yeah, hold on, let me think about it. Your dad also was a comedian, and I was also a DJ. Yeah, or is a DJ?
Speaker 2: No? DJ's was like eighties yeah.
Speaker 1: On the radio or like like a DJing clubs.
Speaker 2: House parties, la clubs, you know.
Speaker 1: Open and Clay.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that comedian has been his lifetime thing. But now he's like a banker to pay bills and stuff.
Speaker 1: But man, yeah he said, its all sides of it.
Speaker 2: He's fun. He's fun. I yeah, I get a lot of joy. And I always think about, like who would walk me down the aisle because my stepfather raised me from when I was a baby too on, and I would like, honestly have both of them, you know, the one who raised me and then you know my biological father.
Speaker 1: Do you want a big wedding.
Speaker 2: No, no, I don't need it.
Speaker 1: I didn't have there was no while to walk down.
Speaker 2: I actually want to get married at midnight.
Speaker 1: Oh boy.
Speaker 2: I'm a nocturnal soul for sure. And I think like the symbolism of like exchanging vowels, Like the wedding starts at midnight, and then you get married at like five am or something as the sun is rising.
Speaker 1: Well, you're telling me that we have to fucking sit through this thing for five hours in the middle of the night.
Speaker 2: Well it's gonna be like a cool place, small wedding, just just the nose, you know.
Speaker 1: Goodness. I don't even know if I want the invite. What do you think of the DJ at my wedding that the first song played gold Digger?
Speaker 2: A lot of people love that story. Was that a shot at my wife's that's a yeah, that's great. I mean, that's a great sun.
Speaker 1: Where did you grow up?
Speaker 2: So's it's back and forth. So I spent most of my elementary years in Irvine, Orange County.
Speaker 1: You like I as a kid? I did you did?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I mean played outside. It was very classic, you know.
Speaker 1: And then you moved out to the to the desert, moved out to.
Speaker 2: The desert in eighth grade high school basically, and wow, that was a depressing move because it went from like all the friends, I don't know, there's something about it, the social dynamics and structures that were happening, and then to just have it all stop and go to the desert without a goodbye. Because my mom wanted to own a house, so they moved to the desert because it's like a little bit more affordable and you could get more. We ended up moving to a country club that just opened up for fifty five and older. It was like the first time I was like depressed because like, yeah, are you in Palms, Indio, so right across the street from where the Coachella Fest takes place.
Speaker 1: What was the first time you ever went to the Coachella Music.
Speaker 2: Festival twenty ten? It was Jay.
Speaker 1: Zasier that's the first time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's when they stood the last year they had like plastic wristbands. I mean it was amazing. But like my set, because I went, I've gone like fourteen times and like I've snuck into the festival. I've worked at the festival.
Speaker 1: Is it easy to sneak in?
Speaker 2: You know what you can do? It many many ways, and like confidence can take you, Like with team effort, you can do anything.
Speaker 1: When did you first try to become a DJ? You know?
Speaker 2: It was something that I was like entertained, but I kind of like fell into it. Like my best friend is the one who came up with Tina Turntables. Because I had this really bad haircut in high school and I looked like Tina Turner from from Mad Max. Everything was like super choppy. So my nickname in high school used to be Tina Turner because of the hairstyle. And then my best friend he ended up coming up with Tina Turntables. Like, wow, you'd be like a dope DJ, you know.
Speaker 1: And so so you had the name before you became a DJ.
Speaker 2: One, yeah yeah. And so I like I got a job in like hospitality, it was like I just didn't like it, and so I would go on Craigslist looking for odd jobs just to do like anything else, And like I ended up hooking up with this airplane pilot and he drove uh is a nineteen twenty nine New Standard, So it's like basically an Amelia Earhart plane open air propeller in front. And then there's only six of his in the world. So there's like a cabin of four in front and then he drives from.
Speaker 1: The back and you got in this thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah. He basically companies would hire him and he didn't want to get out of the plane because it's such an old plane. So we had to keep it running. So I would just organize the people in fours on the ground walk home over to the plane, and then at the end of the job, he's like, you want to ride, and so he like gave me right, and I'm like, he had a hazel up farm and so we like took off between the trees.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: You feel like I'm doing drugs? How is this getting me too? You becoming a DJ? Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Okay, So but I was doing odd jobs. So this DJ, this entertainment company hired me. That was my next job.
Speaker 1: And they were like, look, nothing to do with this fucking pilot.
Speaker 2: Oh well, I mean I was looking for odd jobs, so that's how I found.
Speaker 1: It was just an odd job. Yeah, but it had nothing to do with being a DJ. No, God doesn't love me, Okay. That's what led you to the next oddj yeah.
Speaker 2: Which was the entertainment company and they were looking for a karaoke host.
Speaker 1: A karaoke host, yeah can you sing?
Speaker 2: I can say honkey, yeah, yeah. I keep a little jazzy with.
Speaker 1: It, okay, because you've got a fun voice, so I imagine that you could sing yeah yeah, true or false. Karaoke is the worst, it's the best.
Speaker 2: I wish more people did karaoke because when I was dating, I would always do karaoke at my house with the guy I was dating, and I just I would really study him on what songs he would choose, and like whenever I was having like a hard time in my relationship, I would see what songs that they would choose and would be very telling. The subconscious just tells all in karaoke.
Speaker 1: The only time in my life I've ever actually been do a real karaoke bar was Doug Stanhope forced me to go when I was opening for him in Davy, Florida, and he made me go up and do a duet Sonny and chair I've got you Babe, but he made us change the word to I've got aids. And then at the end he wanted us to kiss because he thought it was funny in this country bar for two men to kiss, and he wanted us to get He wanted us to get beat up. I guess he was basically Sasha Baron Zone twenty years before Sasha, h you don't spend vinyl.
Speaker 2: The vinyls at home. I don't have the man power, you know. But there actually is another Tina Turntables and she's in New Zealand and she does make to do only vinyl and sometimes we get each other's clients and we like send it back. I'm the US Tina Turntables.
Speaker 1: I was in a club in New Zealand once.
Speaker 2: How is it? It was weird?
Speaker 1: I was weird. It was there was girls swimming naked in this aquarium that I was in and they wouldn't serve alcohol, so we're just getting you could just order a snapple. We were drinking snapples and I remember seeing people swiming naked in this aquarium. It was bizarre. At the very beginning of your career, what come like a young DJ, expect to make you know, doing some private, small gig.
Speaker 2: The way I did is I was hired with a company, so it was like four hundred dollars the client was paying and then I came there, set up everything, did the party, brought it all back, and I only got eighty dollars out of that four hundred, and so I felt some type of way. So I just started getting my own equipment and then got my first residency, and that's what helped me get independent. And then with that club that I was at, I built all my clientele and that's what saved me during the pandemic.
Speaker 1: Were you working all the way through the pandemic?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it never stopped.
Speaker 1: How many nights a week are you working?
Speaker 2: Maybe I'll get a day off during season, Like right now, I work about six days. I've been working the last six days for since December.
Speaker 1: Do you ever do house music? Spin house music? Yeah? Okay. When I was eighteen, I went I moved to Orlando, Florida, and so nightclubs became part of my life. And I didn't do drugs. My friends all all did the ecstasies and stuff. I didn't touch it. But I did love the music. You know. I wore my janko of jeans, I had the big I had the big hoops, and I was dancing all night long. Yeah, Oh, I loved it. It was such a weird to think about that time in my life now is just so confusing.
Speaker 2: You see the culture transforming, Like I feel like at the time that you were in college, it's when people were less inhibited to dance. And while I do get people dancing, there's a lot of insecurity out there.
Speaker 1: Do you talk while you're DJing a lot? Do you get up there you start yelling stuff at people.
Speaker 2: Sometimes sometimes like I do. I do like to pop in there.
Speaker 1: Have you ever screamed if you're proud to be Latinos, stand the fuck up?
Speaker 2: Not yet.
Speaker 1: I've always wanted to yell that into a mic. DJ tush I was a DJ in a US a weird drama like a sexy drama. It was on for like one season. It's called Sins of the City. It was shot in Miami, Florida, nice and my character was DJ dog Man And apparently I drugged some some people I gave drugs and then they got raped. I don't know, something awful. Oh, if we could find a clip of that, I don't think I've ever seen it. I don't think I've ever seen myself in this. If you could find that, that would be nice.
Speaker 2: Did you get to like be behind the decks? Would they?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I was behind the decks. I was, I was, I was pinching the earphone, I was doing the fader back and forth.
Speaker 2: Nice.
Speaker 1: Nice, you know, but I don't really remember anything else. You don't take breaks during your gigs? How long is your set? And how many UTIs have you had?
Speaker 2: I actually only peed on my solf once? Yeah, yeah, that was a rough one. Yeah, I was committed, well, I was. I wear crazy outfits when I DJ.
Speaker 1: So your wardrobes and techs.
Speaker 2: Couldn't couldn't make it and couldn't make it tench.
Speaker 1: Are you buying all your own stuff? Are you making it? Are you like creating it? Are you?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: You're never You never stop searching for that outfit. That's why I have like a bulging closet because I have all these outfits and accessories of like one day and I haven't worn it yet, but one day?
Speaker 1: Do you every time you have a gig, like do it to the nines?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Because it's you know, it's the same thing. The reason why I wear heels while I DJ because I feel like people treat me better. Maybe it's like how it positions the body or the shoulders. People see that they respect it. It's a silent thing. And like I tell my girls, because I work with a lot of girl DJs, look do your thing. But I've never been disrespected in heels, but in flats, I've been disrespected. If you dress up for for an event that you know you're playing for all these strangers that you have to like figure out, you know, on the fly, there's kind of a nice respect of like, oh, you put yourself together. And a lot of the times when I'm djying, you're trying to get your crowd to trust you. Sometimes when I'm dressed like super crazy or just like to the nines, it buys me time trying to figure out who I'm playing for.
Speaker 1: Aren't you glad that you just I mean, I know it takes a while to do all the accessories and the clothes, the hair, the makeup. But like when you think of somebody like dead Mouse who just puts a huge that I the.
Speaker 2: Way I would love to djy in a mask because like I would, yeah, Because the thing is is that perception. You know, when people like walk in and they see you DJing, whatever your idea of perception they're they got going on, they're going to project it onto you. So times and sometimes it's very heavy, you know, there's like an expectation or something like I've had weird clients where he was this Italian guy and he kept on saying, you know, I'm older, but I'm like a cool sixty year old.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: And then like I remember when I finished DJing Forum, he said, you know, I really liked your set. I thought it, you know, wasn't it wasn't that black, you know, I thought you were going to really black it up. And I was like, I was like, just so during Coachella I got my corn rows done. But it was so interesting to see the difference. It was almost like they were scared of me. And these were people that i've like DJed wore, but like the hair, I could see them because I'm looking at them, I'm playing for them, but I could see them like looking back and like timid to like engage with me. It was like a weird thing. And that's why I always changed my hair though, too, because I'm really interested in how people evening in different hairstyles.
Speaker 1: When you go home, you take do you take the time because it's so late every night? Yeah, you still take all the makeup off and get ready for bed, or do you fall out in bed, just exhausted.
Speaker 2: Sometimes I wish I didn't have to take off my makeup, you know, because you have to. Yes, yeah, you do, you do.
Speaker 1: I just can't imagine. We would never work. I could never date somebody that had that life. It would just I would never see you. I go to bed at nine o'clock, ten o'clock. Yeah, you're coming home.
Speaker 2: And that's the thing. I've dated like a couple of early birds, and they try, they try their best to hang tight.
Speaker 1: Am I going to hang tight?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: You go to sleep? How many hours a day are you sleeping?
Speaker 2: Like twelve?
Speaker 1: No, you're not well.
Speaker 2: I was like excited for today, so I didn't get like a lot of sleep. But usually yeah, twelve to sixteen. Sometimes you don't do you like?
Speaker 1: Yeah, like human can't sleep sixteen?
Speaker 2: I can't. It's nice.
Speaker 1: What do you mean sixty? If you went to bed at four in the morning?
Speaker 2: Uh huh, yeah, I don't.
Speaker 1: I can't add sixteen to that.
Speaker 3: What's that eight pm?
Speaker 1: Oh? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Reverse sid So let's see if I'm going to bed around midnight.
Speaker 1: You're going to bed at midnight? What time do you wake up?
Speaker 2: So I'm doing better now, I'm waking up at like ten, it feels good, you know. But like for a.
Speaker 1: While I was waking up like you were saying, you were saying how many hours you stay awake? When you said sixteen?
Speaker 2: No, no, you can't sleep.
Speaker 1: For sixteen hours. It's only twenty four hours in a day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, and that do you need to be up for that long?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 2: I wish c estas were more.
Speaker 1: I test every day, yeah, sometimes two.
Speaker 2: Well that's the thing too. I live in the desert, so literally the best weather is at night.
Speaker 1: You get hit on constantly while you're working.
Speaker 2: It's rough. It's so rough because like when I'm hit on, like like take weddings for instance, a guy will see me and he'll be like, I'm gonna save her for last, you know, like I'm gonna strike out on all these girls, okay, And if I strike out, there's the DJ at the end of the night. And so that's when that's the type of guys that I get, you know, And so you because I'm looking at the crowd, I'm watching him strike out, and then it's like you know, hey baby, now me and now you know, and it's like.
Speaker 1: Has any guy ever come up to you? That you didn't know that you were just working and talk to you and you've given them your phone number or went out with them, you know.
Speaker 2: No. The thing is is that every tie like I judge them low key, So I guess when it comes to like the guys that I'm looking for. If a guy hits on me while I'm DJing, the thing is a lot of the times I'm doing full sound setups in heels alone, so I'm like packing my own subwulfers. I have an army of speakers, and so the guy will hit on me and maybe I'll be interested, but I feel some type of way when the party ends and he goes home and he doesn't even offer to, you know, help me.
Speaker 1: Sure. I mean, that's that's a lot of work. He doesn't want to do that. Yeah, have you ever dated a DJ?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: That work.
Speaker 2: He was horrible. He cheated on he like ran train like it was like I found out later on. Yeah he was. He was wild, like yeah, he was like six foot five and but so many bangers that he introduced me to because I was like a baby DJ when he was like doing the run through, but he was he was interesting.
Speaker 1: What do you look for in a guy.
Speaker 2: That's a great question.
Speaker 1: Yeah, do you if somebody said, oh, I know Tina's type, would they be right?
Speaker 2: Or yes? Yeah, yeah, oh there is a type, like there's it's it's kind of general though, Like hair is a situation, like what kind of hair do you like? It doesn't matter if it's I mean, no offense to Tibaldi's out there, but but hair, Like there's something about hair, eyes, uh, kindness?
Speaker 1: What about age? Do you care about age?
Speaker 2: My mom always told me that I needed to date older men, you know, but I did, and like I dated this like older guy like last season last year, and like he ended up calling me a cunt and so.
Speaker 1: In like the British way, it was kind of cute.
Speaker 2: No, No, we actually had a conversation about kunt and like, so when he called me it, I knew how he was using it, and I was like wow, and.
Speaker 1: So was it in a bad way?
Speaker 2: It was in a bad way. Yeah, yeah, so I like, you know, we took our separate ways and everything, and then all of a sudden he ended up showing up at one of my shows.
Speaker 1: Did you see him out while you were doing the show? Did you notice that he was there?
Speaker 2: He was there before, as I was like when I arrived to like do the sound set up, and he was like, I don't want you to slap me, but I just I didn't know how to reach you because you blocked me on everything, and I just wanted to apologize. Yeah, and so I just put him to work and I had him do my whole sound set up and then he stayed there the whole time. It was kind of a low event, but he took me, took video, and then he packed all my stuff away. And he has a really bad back too, so yeah, yeah, but it was like it was really nice, so I forgave him more cool.
Speaker 1: Now, did you during year set at any point go shout out all the cunts out there? Yeah?
Speaker 2: I should have. I should have. He knew who he was, by the way.
Speaker 1: How old was he.
Speaker 2: Late fifties, late fifties?
Speaker 1: Yeah, gross, that's disgusting that old.
Speaker 2: There was this like this older older guy like he might have been like approaching eighty that really liked my sets. And he used to just always just like stare at me sometimes because I'm like at the it was a restaurant, so he would just like stare at me from afar It was kind of like people ask me, like, do you want me to do something about this guy? But I've talked to him before. And then one day I just like indulged and so he took me out to eat, you know, after my DJ set was like two am, so we went to Denny's.
Speaker 1: Oh You're blowing my mind.
Speaker 2: We were like eating and then he was like, he ordered milk and he really wanted me to and then like there's this point where he's like, drink the milk and I'm.
Speaker 1: Like, oh, well, you ordered you milk.
Speaker 2: No, it was him, but he wanted me to drink his milk, and it was like, really, weird, is the.
Speaker 1: Grossest story of d You're at Denny's at two in the morning, Sky's don't even drink my milk? Yeah I can't. I don't like this, Tina. You gotta stop hanging out with those people.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: Have you ever done a silent rave?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Like yes, yeah, yeah?
Speaker 1: Is that weird?
Speaker 2: I loved it because the competition comes up again. So it was two DJs, me and another DJ, and when they're listening to their things, it shows you what color that channel they're on.
Speaker 1: You're basically in a battle here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and so it's like you kind of see how people sheep out in a way because they follow each other. They see like one person's on that channel, then they all go to it.
Speaker 1: And it's why they had two DJs at this silent rave with the colors. Oh man, so you see somebody dance and you're like, oh, they're dancing to that. The way they're dancing makes me want to go listen to that.
Speaker 2: D exactly. Such a social experiment, Like.
Speaker 1: I can't imagine anything I would hate more than going to whatever party that was. But at least it was quiet. I mean, do you still get a feel even tho everybody looks because it's so quiet?
Speaker 2: Well, it's so But that's the thing. It's that like I'm a mixer. I like to blend songs crazy, and so when you're like listening to the headphones, you can actually like hear the smoothness. Sometimes like when it's just on the speaker, you kind of get lost in the noise. D a funeral, Oh yeah, that was interesting to curate because you want to be like sensitive, you know, and like now I subtly build a funeral thing, you know, because you never know when you're going to get that call again.
Speaker 1: Are you supposed to be morose during that playlist? Or do you want to pick people's spirits up a little bit?
Speaker 2: You want to pick people spirits up. But it just kind of it's hard because there was like a little bit of family drama.
Speaker 1: Weirdest place you've ever DJed?
Speaker 2: Oh well, it's it was more like the weirdest situation I did. This hockey player. He was celebrating his best friend's birthday. We were at this mansion in Indio. He brought out all these champagne glasses. We do a toast, and then after we finished drinking it, he was like, guys, I hope you enjoyed that because I put Molly in all of the champagne drinks. So right, I think, so yeah, so we're all going to party tonight. But one of my best sets I got so many custins from and now I'm for real. Literally literally one of the girls there she was just like, when I get married, I'm I don't even have a boyfriend yet. When I get married, you're gonna be my DJ. And three years later I was her DJ and.
Speaker 1: She held true.
Speaker 2: She held true.
Speaker 1: Yeah, good for her.
Speaker 2: It was great.
Speaker 1: Where are you at with drugs? You enjoy experimenting with drugs or is it not your thing?
Speaker 2: Well, the experimentation I think I had my years. Now I'm just tired.
Speaker 1: Does it go hand in hand with the DJing in that world?
Speaker 2: I mean, the source of me in my sober mind already hits. So if I happen to like drink while I'm DJing, it's not like a worse or better set, It's just a different set.
Speaker 1: What's your beef with the Palm Spring Surf Club? By the way, shout out of the Palm Springs Surf Club forgiving me an extra hour last time I went surfing there.
Speaker 2: You know, they're great, they're figuring it out. I think they like cause they're still new. This is like a lot of problem that I have with a lot of clients out There's like a lot of people don't think about the heat. They want you to play outside, and I think there's been new owners since then, but basically they like, we want you to do our summer sessions, but you have to up at four o'clock, which is the hottest time during the day at the hottest season of the desert. So it's like you're setting up in one hundred and twenty degrees. The equipment you spend thousands of dollars on, and you're speakers, you're doing full labor setting it up, and it's when the sun's right overhead.
Speaker 1: Gotcha, all right?
Speaker 3: They don't get it.
Speaker 1: What you ever do pools?
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, I do pool parties, but it's so hard because everybody has a pool party in the summer and it's like one hundred and twenty degrees. So sometimes when I'm doing like really important gigs in the heat, I bring two systems because it's overheat. It just overheats, it just conks out, and then you bring the other one in and then you have ice, you have laptop coolers. All it's so just I've always you.
Speaker 1: Know, when I work at the Cosmopolitan and I look out my room and there's a DJ at this pool and there's just hundreds of people in the pool, and I'm just like, I can't imagine the debauchery that going on in there.
Speaker 2: Oh well, I would never go in the pools.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't go in the pool either. Some of the people are going underwater and getting a little handsy or bringing like now that you can take your iPhones underwater? Who knows what they're doing well?
Speaker 2: And then just the liquid's coming out of them.
Speaker 1: Oh you didn't have to say it, but I'm glad you did. Yeah, you're swimming and seen is what she's saying. Hey, have you ever performed at a phone party?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I did.
Speaker 1: Oh that's disgusting as well.
Speaker 2: You know what, in theory, it sounded a lot funner. And then when you're.
Speaker 1: There, sure, it's like you gets sticky. Yeah, what about that out there in the desert? A lot of gay men. Are they a good audience to perform in front of?
Speaker 2: They're fantastic. Yeah, yeah, they're they're so happy. It's lesbians that have been my biggest Like I did like a lesbian wedding. They're amazing. But like I did, like a lesbian.
Speaker 1: Party, and that was your one of your favorites.
Speaker 2: No, that was like my worst. Oh right, so they made me cry.
Speaker 1: It was like they they weren't nice.
Speaker 2: Oh, they were not nice.
Speaker 1: I mean, I hate to focus on stereotypes, but you give me, give me my druthers. I'm hanging out with the gay men.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And it was like really weird because you kind of get to that point where like sometimes you're like playing the music. There's someone who thinks they can solve and be like, well play this, and then you're like, I already played it, and they're like, oh, well play this, and then they get mad because I'm like, I already played it. I like, I'm with you, guys, I'm playing the But there was just no happiness to be found. I'm not I'm not. But these were older lesbians. I'm not that I like did it for younger lesbians. They were great, but that.
Speaker 1: Was my older lesbians, not the best crowd.
Speaker 2: And I think he was like the menopause age because they remind.
Speaker 1: Me of my Like, I just read an article that we might be able to get rid of metopause.
Speaker 2: I signed me up.
Speaker 1: I don't know if it's real. I just thought I just had this article. I just I was just reading this their day. It was oh man, I don't know if it's true. By the way, as a female DJ, yes, is that tough in this day and age?
Speaker 2: Or no, it's the best because everybody wants a female DJ.
Speaker 1: Is are there more female DJs than there are male DJs? Or no?
Speaker 2: No, no, there will always be more male DJs because It is a labor intensive job, depending how far you take it.
Speaker 1: Any songs you refuse to ever play.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's the ethics of DJing that I really because we're in this era of access where you can actually see these people's lives. Seems like playing Diddy right now, Uh, he can't really Like R Kelly was my first one that I stopped playing after he got convicted. And then you know, Diddy, now I don't play him.
Speaker 1: What Michael Jackson, where you're at on that?
Speaker 2: Well, he never got convicted, So that's where I loved it at where that's where it had.
Speaker 1: Locks on a door seems like conviction.
Speaker 2: Well, you know what I think. I think there's things to be discovered as time goes on. What I realize is that it doesn't matter if you love R Kelly and Everything or P Diddy, you know, because people were giving that fight like, well this is this is my own memory. This has nothing to do with them.
Speaker 1: You know. You remind me of my jeep.
Speaker 2: You know. And then I hear that I kind of go between the thing of like when do you separate the artists from the music, and as a DJ, kind of conducting a vibe, you can play anything you want. You can. You can play Diddy, you can't play R Kelly. But the problem is it's the frequency, the vibe that is invited. What I'm trying to say is that when those artists are played, bad things happen after.
Speaker 1: Given that your profession involves playing music at events filled with drunk people, how do you handle all the unsolicited request?
Speaker 2: It gives me anxiety sometimes, so I do a lot of work trying to predict before they come, knowing the music that they love the most, getting it out the way the beginning of the night, and then playing the rest of the stuff for everybody else.
Speaker 1: You ever you ever pop somebody? Well?
Speaker 2: No, Well the worst thing is too is like when someone comes up because I don't mind playing requests, but I just don't like it when people come up with a whole laundry list, you know, because like I feel like people want to be like like this is the perfect song, and then like if the song happens to land, they feel like, wow, I like I helped the knight.
Speaker 1: You know hundred what they think?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, even though you're like choosing like five hundred songs in one night, they're one song, great, Oh thank you for playing no woman, no cry, just always it's always a good one to end on Little Bob Miley.
Speaker 1: You know everybody's on the show gets some gifts. Really yeah, oh yeah, yes, it's just stuff around my house. Okay, it's just it's just it's hand me downs. Okay, Okay. The first thing I'm giving you one of my kids I don't like. I don't. Well, the satchel, it's for the sound bath.
Speaker 2: This is mine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't. I don't want my kids to have this.
Speaker 2: You know what's so funny? That's the same color as my car. I actually just got It's not funny. I got it. No, that's great, it's meant to be.
Speaker 1: What because your car, because you have a gold brown car. I'll got you the sound about My kids will never know that this is missing. Go ahead to give it a whack. You'll enjoy that.
Speaker 2: Amazing. Okay.
Speaker 1: Also, I got you. This is a pop ring, a whistle pop and a candy necklace. Because I guess people do drugs. Let's go. This is my kid's pill container. Uh. He put stickers all over. You can take those off, but I am you put ecstasy or molly in one of them and just hand them out.
Speaker 2: I don't know you know what. I actually was looking for a pill container because I'm getting to that age.
Speaker 1: Let me tell you about one problem, DJ. You tell me if you agree.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: First of all, you're working physically, okay, yes, you come home, you might be a little ripe.
Speaker 2: Yeah, to be traveling.
Speaker 1: Yeah, somebody, this is from some New York hotel. It's fancy bag. Okay, it's just it's just smell good stuff.
Speaker 2: Looking at there.
Speaker 1: You go get thank you. Okay. I don't know who gave me this and what it is. But also you stink when you come home. You're sweaty in smoke. You probably experience more smoke than most people. Somebody gave these bags. But like it's like to put in your luggage. One says wash me, one says wear me. So I guess it's dividers, clean, dirty clothes whatever. Okay, you're gonna love that. Yes, Oh, last thing I have? You just give this out next time you ever do any parties for kids. Yeah, okay, you just give this your next It's just all kinds of funny glass my gosh. Yes, yeah, my kids. I don't know what they have.
Speaker 2: I know a lot of adults that would.
Speaker 1: What appreciate this? Yeah, they got there are some pineapple ones. There's about eighty pairs in there. You give that to your next Oh yes.
Speaker 2: Please, I mean I might keep this from myself.
Speaker 1: Well that you do whatever you want, but you're gonna have all of this has to get off my desk. Okay, okay, I cannot have. I'm gonna push off. We'll clean this up later.
Speaker 3: For you.
Speaker 1: Do you go out where in places where there is a DJ? And are you super critical or can you still just enjoy yourself?
Speaker 2: I love it. I love to so many people in my life. They're like, well, well you're a DJ. But I love when they play music for me because I get paid to, like, you know, be in that mode. I'm not trying to be in that mode anytime besides when I'm working, So like when I see other DJs, I'm hyping them up. I love it. I dance. I just I'm free because I'm like, whoa, I'm not working right now.
Speaker 1: Who's your favorite DJ of all time? Do you have a favorite?
Speaker 2: Oh, green velvet? Maybe green velvet might be tough because okay, so what I realized you because not only do you learn so much like on the job, but also because I've DJ for so long, when I do go out and see other DJs, it's almost connected to how they make love. Oh, you know, how they are in the sack is how people dj like reflects, you know, because you got the one two hitters, and then you've got the balance of feminine and masculine and the way they are circulating because like music is both sides, and like the way because when I DJ, I'm so naturally girl and girly girl that I can pay play a whole woman's set and not even think about it. But I've been having to do these stag parties like all men, and so I've been having to like masculine it up, and I've been like really seeing the difference.
Speaker 1: Between I didn't. I didn't think there was such a gender line. There is when it comes to a music playlist.
Speaker 2: There is. And so it's like when I saw Green Velvet, He's that beautiful mixture of like, I know there are women here that want to shake their ass, but I also know that there are guys here that want to like dance too.
Speaker 1: I've never wanted to go out and shake my ass. That's the life really, I mean.
Speaker 2: Not little twerk out.
Speaker 1: No, there, it's not my thing.
Speaker 2: Well, wait were you doing in college?
Speaker 1: On college, I was going to raves if I wasn't really shaking it. Now I was more doing that. You know, there's stupid club dancing.
Speaker 2: When's the last time you danced willingly?
Speaker 1: It's been thirty years, twenty five years?
Speaker 2: Really? Yeah, they say it's the best exercise.
Speaker 1: Well, okay, I don't want to exercise release. I mean, do you feel good? Do you feel like I? Oh, I have I have achieved what I wanted to? Or success changed for you? Now?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: You know, the goal gets more defined more and more as far as like where I want to take this DJing? And at first the goal was to DJ at Coachella. That was like the ultimate goal. H But I love the intimacy of a small crowd and a lot of the times, so like what happened this year is because I've been building my clientele so much. I've like just been DJing for these really high end parties, and like I love it because it's the high parties and the corporate parties because they don't expect the DJ to be good honestly, And so when I'm playing like it's the Keys to the Castle. You're playing modern music, you know, because it's the rise of the Niche. You know, there's not really one main radio giving us the tunes, and so because there's so many hits, when you play that, you're tapping into a certain type of people.
Speaker 1: Well, Tina, thank you for being on the show. Thank you for having me my pleasure.
Speaker 2: Yes, all right, nice to meet you, to meet you, Pasha.
Speaker 1: I want to think Tina turntables for being on the show. And I can't wait to be at your next pool party. You think I'll get invited? Probably, I hope. So we've got some plugs, Carl, you want me to plug anything for you? You ain't dates coming up. Carl's gonna walk around thirty this afternoon, and then another one scheduled for tomorrow at nine. Go to Carl dot co. Check out to showstore dot com for some toss show merch, get your merch, get your merch. Eddie's got a tour. Eddie's gonna be touring with me. We've got quite a few dates coming up. You snoring over there, big guy, It's Sigry for our free plug. Let's go ahead and hit the free plug music. Was that bean Tina turntables. Let's see you transition into another song, into a different genre. A look at that? Not as easy as you think, is it? You're no Tina turntables all right? This week's free plug is a triple threat because it covers the things I care most about in life, baking, Saskatchewan and the color pink. Okay, this is a Murking is it Murrican muror King King Murking pink stand mixer for sale just like a mixer. Okay, I don't even know this brand. It's in Regina, Saskatchewe. It's used, but in good condition. This beauty features multiple speed settings, tilt head design for easy access. You know, I have the the the what's what's the one everyone has? I have the big kitchen aid, the baker one that doesn't have the tilted action. It's fixed. It is annoying, it's all and it's the more expensive of the two.
Speaker 3: Anyway, Orange cord is it a commercial grade?
Speaker 1: It's commercial grad? Anyway. This has got suction cups for stability. Great for mixing, kneading and blending all your favorite doze, batters and various foods. Comes with a five court mixing bowl that standard, but missing. It's missing all attachments do hook, flatbeater, and whisk, so you have to You're gonna have to scavenger hunt your your way to finding nose. I'm guessing Mure King has h those readily available. All right, it's this. The thing is easy to use, it's clean as minus the missing parts. It's for sale for sixty dollars. That's Canadian. You have any idea how that this affects the price with tariffs? Do we have to do anything if we order it?
Speaker 3: Probably not?
Speaker 1: Are you sure? I don't know. I don't know how teriffs work yet. All right, just think how much you'd be paying if it came with everything I already looked brand new. This this mixture with all this stuff costs ninety dollars, so you're it's thirty dollars less than that. Plus you have to replace all the attachments. You're gonna come out ahead five to ten bucks easy, unless unless you're shipping it, yeah, you know out of country. That's that's a Mr. King stand mixer and regenis saskatsch one. You can find it on the Facebook marketplace. Guys, I never thought the free plug was gonna get this this specific. We're there, we really, we really, uh, I sure hope we can find it a home.
Speaker 3: If you buy this reach out and it's and it's.
Speaker 1: It's not uh, it's not an auction. Sixty dollars gets it?
Speaker 3: I mean you kind of gotta live near saskatche One.
Speaker 1: I didn't you think you have to drive by and pick it up?
Speaker 3: I mean they might ship it.
Speaker 1: That's going to be a nightmare at.
Speaker 3: That point, you might as we're.
Speaker 1: Gonna have to travel to see what does it cost to fly up there by the way saskash One. Anybody have any idea where in Canada that is? I think it's mid middle Okay, so yeah, it's out, it's out in Nowhereville. Well, we're gonna be up a minneapolist. Any anyway we can grab that mixer and have him hold it for a while. They put what kind of fee would he put on just holding it for a few months? A few months? If you will? We have there in four weeks. Yeah, well, listen night. I hope it goes to a new home that get our forever home. I hope it goes to a forever home somebody that can really use it.
Speaker 3: There's no attachments.
Speaker 1: Well, no, I don't mean I don't mean to use it as is. I mean once they get all.
Speaker 3: The party, bring it back.
Speaker 1: Once they By the way, I mentioned that it's pink. It's pink. That's a great color.
Speaker 3: What happened to all the attachments?
Speaker 1: But you lost them? You lose attachments. What do you do with all your attachments? I always just put them in the bowl and a store them. But the problem with that is that two of the three never get used and they're filthy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's a lot of dusty. You always gotta clean.
Speaker 1: You got you gotta rins those off before you put them in. I recently had to replace the spring load where the where the attachments clip onto. And I don't think I put it on a proper I don't think I attached the spring properly. Yeah, it doesn't matter. See you next week.