Speaker 1: The following. He is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: No Cowboys This he's Talking Cowboys Straining live from.
Speaker 1: The Dallas Cowboys World Head Course at the Star in Frisco.
Speaker 2: Touchdown six second past ten, twenty patient.
Speaker 3: Touchdown and now your hosts Isaiah Standback, Patrick Walker, Josh Rodriguez, and Kyle Yeomans.
Speaker 2: It's a Talking Tuesday edition of Talking Cowboys, presented by Black Rifle Coffee Company, live from the Star in Frisco, Texas and the SWBC Studios. Welcome in, everybody. We've got the whole cast and crew ready to rock for you today. We've got Patrick Noci Walker, Isaiah Stanback, Josh Rodriguez with Chris Beam in the back.
Speaker 1: I'm Kyle Yeomans. Thirty four to ten Cowboys fall.
Speaker 2: Houston Texans hand the Cowboys their seventh loss of the season.
Speaker 1: They are now three and seven, ten games in. But there's still a chance.
Speaker 2: Kyle, no quarterback, no tight end, no three fifths of your offensive line, no edge rushers, no.
Speaker 1: Corners, step on the field and you play a game. You have a chance to run the table and get seventh straight. You have a chance.
Speaker 2: So the best case scenario is you roll off seven straight and you're ten and seven and.
Speaker 1: You may get in. Yeah, but look at the team.
Speaker 4: Look at the teams that you're playing that are left, Kyle, there's so much optimism left, and you're.
Speaker 1: Gonna want we scored on that man? Are he's most of these teams, Most of the teams playoff team, Most of the teams are about to play have losing records. Yeah, you're gonna win some games, but come on, no seat, are you?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 1: I like the story of that reality. See yeah, come on, Kyle, all listen.
Speaker 3: They're even if they know put this in science lab last week, so check out check it out on the dot com, ladies and gentlemen. Even if the Cowboys had won this game, their playoff odds would have gone.
Speaker 1: To a whopping there's a chance.
Speaker 3: Because they lost, and it now drops to less than one percent. They have a less than one percent chance of making the playoffs. But right, I mean, mathematically speaking, they have not been eliminated from the playoffs as we have this conversation. Realistically speaking, don't expect them to be in the playoffs as we have this conversation.
Speaker 4: Listen, you cannot count them moundtil stuff starts falling from this guy.
Speaker 1: Oh well, I'm not going to hit that. We're not going to talk about that. We're not going to talk about that. But this guy is falling.
Speaker 3: Yes, absolutely proverbially speaking, Yeah you did.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So yeah, things aren't well right now with the Dallas Cowboys thirty four to ten.
Speaker 1: And I mean, there were good things in this game.
Speaker 2: A lot of people were talk talking about all the bad. There's a lot of bad, don't get me wrong. There's a spurt of good, but there was a little Yeah, there's a like in between the first and the fourth quarters where you gave up fourteen unanswered points, you felt decent about your second.
Speaker 6: Takes a quarter.
Speaker 1: It's good spurts.
Speaker 4: It's more than what we've had in the past. It felt worse than what it was. I think it was ugly, but it felt worse than what it actually was. I mean, you didn't have a bunch of turnovers. You put the ball on the ground a bunch of times, but you didn't have a bunch of turnovers. You were in I don't think you're supposed to do that either. No, you're definitely not supposed to do that, but I mean, you should have had at least at least five interceptions.
Speaker 1: Should have but you didn't, right, but you should have.
Speaker 6: One of the most shocking things.
Speaker 7: I don't think Houston played very well, and I don't think they're a really great team either.
Speaker 3: I agree with you on both points. I just wonder if Houston is caught in the in their own hype. It's like my late grandma used to say, you're smelling yourself, right, Yeah, I mean the coming off of the playoff berth last season, and then they kind of raded off to a hot start this season and the kind of started feeling themselves and forgot that they got to actually play up to a particular standard every single week, which is why they were on the two game losing streak in the first place, one of those.
Speaker 1: Losses being to the Jets.
Speaker 3: Of all teams, they were competitive against the Lions, but they let the Lions come back in the second half. But if you saw what they were doing against the Cowboys, it did feel like they were playing down a bit. But the Cowboys could have taken advantage of that, and they just found ways to not take advantage of it. So you know, whether it be lack of execution. Like you talk about the the interception from Cooper Rush, which looked like a miscommunication between Rush and Ceedee Lamb.
Speaker 1: Maybe I don't think he got knocked on the rock. Okay, six yards deep?
Speaker 4: It could have been should have been a legal contact.
Speaker 1: It was definitely six yards.
Speaker 2: They were talking about it on the broadcast and they're like, I could have been and then he was like, no, I was right on the border of five yards.
Speaker 1: It's like, okay, I'm gonna count one.
Speaker 4: Sitting right next to Kyle when the game this morning, I was like, that's a legal contact.
Speaker 3: Yeah, fair enough, So we'll delete that. But what you can't delete is the fake punt attempt interception and the desperation move and the fourth down first, the decision to go for it on fourth down instead of take that field goal. You took three points off of the board there. That's six points that were left on the field if you include Brandon Aubrey missing, and then I mean we'll get into the point downhill from there. Yeah, we'll get into the whole. I don't know, find me a new table to stand on, because apparently the one I'm standing on is just not working.
Speaker 1: The Trey Lance.
Speaker 5: What what?
Speaker 2: What?
Speaker 1: Why not? Why not? Because he's not a good quarterback? Patrick, That's where I'm saying he's not a good quarterback. Can ask you a question, Yes, okay, you if you believe let me free it this way?
Speaker 3: When you're first in goal, yeah, and you can't score and you can't score, yeah, would you would you prefer to see Trey Lance in on that situation?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Probably?
Speaker 3: Okay, So that means in that situation at least he's the better and that he's a better option.
Speaker 1: He's a threat.
Speaker 3: So we can agree, we can split the baby, and we can agree situations where Trey Lance is a better option, yes, and yet we are not seeing him on the field in those circumstances at all.
Speaker 7: But McCarthy was very clear in his press conference though that you know he regrets not putting Tree Lance there in correct, so.
Speaker 1: Find being for what he did say it. Yeah, I he's owning it. That's the thing that we talked about a couple of weeks ago. I agree with you.
Speaker 2: I think they should utilize both guys. I think they should utilize Cooper Rush and Trey Lance. But if you're telling me Trey Lance is going to make the difference between a thirty four to ten football game.
Speaker 1: No, it's not to happen, period.
Speaker 3: It was never My stance was evaluate them and if you if your argument, if your argument is that Cooper Rush gives you the best chance to win, the only way to prove to me that your goal is in fact to win that game. If that is that that's your goal, if that's your take, is in those situations wherein Trey Lance gives you the better chance of either moving the chains or getting into the end zone, why is he not on the field.
Speaker 2: Because I don't think McCarthy believes that. I think McCarthy believes Cooper Rush is the best chance to win.
Speaker 1: Because Ry Jones that it goes back to what, wait, does he regret what we've talked about it? I don't know.
Speaker 4: J Jones said, again, that's McCarthy's thing.
Speaker 1: We've talked about this before.
Speaker 2: This is an evaluation process for everybody that is going to be around the Cowboys for a significant period of time.
Speaker 1: I don't think you can look at that coaching staff right.
Speaker 2: Now and say one of those guys is going to be here for a significant period of time. Everyone is in question. Everyone on the staff on the staff right now. So if they're not looking to evaluate.
Speaker 1: They're looking to win games. And as sucky as it is, you just don't have.
Speaker 2: A very good football team, whether it's by injuries or by depth. We talked about at the beginning of the year this show. We sat on this show in training camp and said, the depth on this team is not very good.
Speaker 1: We do not have a ton of depth.
Speaker 2: You said it, You said it, you said it, I said it. And if there were injuries and specific spots on the roster, and.
Speaker 1: There were a lot of them, there will be problems. We got more.
Speaker 4: Oh my goodness, yes you're ready for those news, and but why not since we're just going ahead and your hand, I'm slapping somebody with the other.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm here for I'm here for playing off of each other since you break up injuries. So we're not going to have a ton of information quite yet because it's a quick turnaround to this show from a prime time game last night.
Speaker 1: But here's what we do know.
Speaker 3: We do know that Jake Ferguson is officially in the concussion protocol. That does not bold well for the Pro Bowl tight end. Because this is a short week going into to the Washington Commander's game, and it is very unlikely. We'll see how he progresses, but it is very unlikely that Ferguson clears concussion protocol in time to make the flight to the nation's capital to take on Dan Quinn and those guys. Zach Martin, who has been dealing with several issues, a back issue several weeks ago, shoulder issue as recently as this week, and an ankle issue that was prior to going into this game. He was knocked out of this game with an ankle issue. The other ankle okay, so future first ballot Hall of Famer. All we can do is keep our fingers crossed and hope that those weren't the final snaps for Zack Martin in a Dallas Cowboys uniform. More information to come on that as the yes the next several days move forward. Let's keep it to the offensive line, because apparently fate hates us so much.
Speaker 1: Tyler Smith.
Speaker 3: Not long after you lose Zach Martin to an ankle injury, you lose Tyler Smith to an injury.
Speaker 1: What was the injury? An ankle injury?
Speaker 3: Can't make this stuff up, man, two words. Murphy's long so Tyler Smith also dealing with the ankle injury. Now, I will say Tyler spoke. Smith spoke in the locker room, and he was in solid spirits in regards to the injury. He didn't sound too concerned about it. Obviously, he voiced a lot of frustration for what's going on with the season, how it's kind of circling the porcelain bowl. But he said that you know, he's a competitor quote unquote, I'm not fin a tank. I'm not Finnah go in the tank. End quote. But nonetheless, we don't know what his availability will be like on a short week either. So you have your two guards. That should be it for the offense. No, that's not it for the offensive line because Tyler Geyton was also knocked out of the game on a play that involved not one fumble but two fumbles. Because the offensive tackles in Dallas like to that. Yeah, they like to become ball carriers. So on the play we're we're in, Cooper us fumbled because the pressure was allowed by Tyler guydon pressure gets there, Cooper Rush fumbles. Tyler Goyton gets the ball that run and he gets absolutely lit up and he fumbles and he.
Speaker 1: Did not come back in the game after that. So shoulder injury is what he entered the game with.
Speaker 3: And if you go back and look at the film of that hit right dead on the shoulder, on that exact shoulder. So we don't know that Tyler Gotton will be ready to go against Washington. So before I give you this fifth and final injury from yesterday, you have Tyler Goton, Tyler Smith, Zach Martin. You have three starters on your offensive line who may or may not play against the Commanders as you try to keep three and eight away. So good luck Marquise Bell. He suffered a marquis shoulder injury. Shoulder, Yeah, he walked out.
Speaker 1: Yeah bad. Initially it's bad. Yeah, it looks bad.
Speaker 3: And I don't want to say probably, we'll wait for more tests, but it does look bad.
Speaker 1: Does not look promising. Hoping for the best for Marquis Bell.
Speaker 6: Not to speculate, but it kind of looked like it was like a hyper extension.
Speaker 1: It just it looked very It wasn't where it's supposed to be.
Speaker 3: Yeah, a couple So the Cowboys entered this game with eighteen guys on the injury report and they just added some more as far as because Marquis Bell wasn't on there for one, Tyler Smith on there, but those that are on there that but it's worse now, So they didn't escape clean or anything remotely.
Speaker 1: Things just continue to get worse for the cous.
Speaker 6: And only have five days to play the next game.
Speaker 1: Right before travel. Yeah, and then you turn around you play on Thursday too, So three.
Speaker 3: Years, all of all the times to have this new spurt, you like spurts, this new spurt of injuries.
Speaker 6: Were getting spurted on for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's about right.
Speaker 2: So that brings my conversation piece to kind of what Jerry Jones said on the Fan today because he had some updates on one oh five three the Fan.
Speaker 1: Initially earlier this.
Speaker 2: Season, he was asked how do injuries affect your evaluation of the coaching staff, and he, at least in the initial interview, said it doesn't affect it. We're going to evaluate the coaching staff as its own, as its own entity, as its own thing.
Speaker 1: Injuries are a part of the game, so we're going to evaluate as such.
Speaker 2: He was asked the same question today and he had a different answer to He said, absolutely it does change.
Speaker 1: The way that we look at the coaching staff.
Speaker 2: So I don't want to talk about jobs or lost thereof or anything like that, but just from a microcosm of the twenty twenty four season, how much can you put on injuries because it's starting to become unbelievable the list that is being rolled out there a week to week.
Speaker 7: I like what Isaia said a couple of weeks ago, where it's like the when you're losing like this, the injury lists tends to grow.
Speaker 6: I think that's an apt.
Speaker 7: Reasoning behind a lot of it, and obviously a lot of bad luck too. I don't know what we did god to deserve the injury bug that we've been bitten by, but it is disheartening when you see your best players go down like this. It's disheartening to see a player the caliber of Zach Martin struggle to stand up after taking another injury to his different ankle, right, it is really really disheartening.
Speaker 6: I mean, it's just, yeah, it's not going our way, man.
Speaker 7: And I don't think you can necessarily say it is just the injuries, because before this, even at New York, when you were at full strength for the most part, it wasn't looking great. Granted he won that game, granted you won Pittsburgh. It just it just felt like a down, downward spiral, even with full health. I just don't think this team was built to withstand the season. Like we talked about death coming into the season, and here we gorease its head again.
Speaker 3: That's where I am with it. The last thing, the least portion of what Josh said, is kind of where I am with it. First of all, it's the NFL. Every team deals with injuries, and I get it. Every team deals with different levels of injuries, different magnitudes of injuries.
Speaker 1: I get it.
Speaker 3: That being said, they were playing bad football before the injury started to ravage them. So for me, that means it's a wash for me because you were really low on your playoff percentage as far as possibly making the playoffs. You were almost out the door before you lost that Prescott, before you started to lose some of these other major guys.
Speaker 1: So you can blame some of this on the injuries.
Speaker 3: But once this season is in the books, anyone who comes up to me and tries to hang whatever this final record is solely on injuries, say, oh well, no, see it was because I'm going to laugh at you that no injuries at after you got past the event horizon of virtually being eliminated from the playoffs, that's when the injury bug really or when you were teetering there, that's when the injury bug really started to kind of make sure that you wouldn't make the playoffs. But you got there before the injury bug went crazy. So yeah, I think that's a watch for me.
Speaker 6: What the Ravens did do you It's like that that was what the Saints did do. That's that's the team that Yeah, that was weak.
Speaker 1: Two. Well, I completely agree with that sentiment because.
Speaker 2: I think going into the Atlanta game, I'll say, going into Atlanta, you probably thought that this is a normal level of injuries outside.
Speaker 1: Of maybe your edge rushers. Your edge rushers, you got decimated for sure, Yeah, all the way through.
Speaker 2: And you didn't have DeMarcus Lawrence, Sam Williams, Michael Parsons, those guys. You you had one position that was overly decimated with injuries. Other than that, you have a healthy offensive line, you had a healthy running back room, you have a healthy wide receiver corps except for Brandon Cooks.
Speaker 1: You've got a healthy linebacker corps. For the most part, your corners are banged up, but.
Speaker 2: At that point you only were really missing Doron Bland as a guy that was going to be.
Speaker 1: A starter moving forward, So your running back corps was whole. Yeah, I said that.
Speaker 2: So there's I think there's ways that you can look at it and say, yeah, they were decimated by injuries throughout the season. Absolutely in certain spots, but there are a lot of parts of your football team that just weren't having success with or without injuries previously. Now it's snowball significantly, and it's not just like what Isaiah said last week where he was saying there's a difference between being hurt and injured that I think that plays a factor in a season like this. There are just a lot of guys that are actually injured, especially yesterday, Martin.
Speaker 1: Being one of them, Bell being another one of them.
Speaker 2: Jake Ferguson Jerry Jones said this morning that he has some concern, a level of concern whenever it comes to the concussion because it was an immediate thing where he.
Speaker 1: Was pulled out of the game.
Speaker 2: So this is this is a not only is it a bad football team from what we saw previously, but now it's a bad and banged up football team. That's where we are for the twenty twenty four Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 4: And yet I still think that there's a glimmer of hope, young fellas.
Speaker 1: I don't believe you.
Speaker 4: It's okay, Kyle's I'm not here to convince you.
Speaker 1: I'm just here to tell the truth. I want you to convince me. I don't need to convince you, Kyle. The facts that are facts.
Speaker 4: These guys, if they can figure out how to muster up some form of offense, this defense is starting to somewhat.
Speaker 1: Look like they're respectable.
Speaker 4: M There's there's actual flashes there. Now you have Demo, you have Micah. Those guys are adding pressure. Those guys are causing problems for all the quarterbacks we were able to see on third down situations. Demo, you know obviously, now when you walk have Michael Parsons and a Demo and the other guys up there Kendricks on the field, and now all of a sudden, that double a gap looks a little bit better, it looks a little bit more effective. I'm not saying up here trying to sell wolf dreams at all. Woof tickets. But I think if you can get something going on offense, you will see a spark.
Speaker 1: I truly do think that you.
Speaker 4: Will see a spark because right now you're seeing flashes. Right, it's like dog going like your car just won't turn over, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Like this offense will turnover.
Speaker 4: I mean, but like if they can figure that out, right, if they can figure that out, I never seeing about talking about trade.
Speaker 1: And I think you're obviously Cooper has not had He's had two bad games. He was offline yesterday. He was throwing stuff all over the place. I don't know what.
Speaker 4: He's just trying to find himself in this off servers a lot. He's trying to find himself in this offense. Right, we can't compare him to We can't say to five and three. Uh now, now five and three Cooper Rush, that office was different. This office is sputtering, to say the least. I mean, this is like one touchdowns past Dak was in here.
Speaker 1: It's bad.
Speaker 4: So now you have to put that in Mike McCarthy and Brian Sharton Himer's lab. Right, So you're not your Yeah, you're not going to get that play from your QB. So now what can I do play call wise that can at least enlist some positivity consistently, right, we have to get something on. The running game is not going your office of line you're missing three, you're starting offensive lineman now. So now it's on the coaches more than ever to create something. And I truly believe with this schedule that you have coming up, you have a chance to go forur and on the next four games. And I know that sounds crazy coming off these last two games, but I'm just looking at it into being.
Speaker 1: Real with you. You're crazy. You're crazy, man. If you can get that going this week.
Speaker 4: And coach McCarthy, you got to go borrow somebody's Christmas bag and dig down there and grab some toys and get some layaway like we should do at kmart back in the day.
Speaker 1: Get some layaway toys.
Speaker 4: Do that, okay, And Schottenheimer getting your bag as well, and you guys put together one hell of a game plan that puts your playmakers in a position to be successful.
Speaker 1: You saw I talked about Cavante turpind weeks ago.
Speaker 4: I said, if you can get him going and get him confident in the slot, heck, weapon. All of a sudden, you put him in a slide and you get him on an over route. Uhah, he just runs. I think it might have been the fastest time in the league this year.
Speaker 1: In the last four years. Yeah, he's real here.
Speaker 4: So that's a weapon. Right, So you're building confidence with that guy, right, Brandman spam Ford even got.
Speaker 1: Some touches yesterday. Right, So you're getting some guys going.
Speaker 4: If you can mustard up something offensively, you just might get that transmission and the ending to turn over just a little bit, and then this defense might actually come to play a little bit because you're starting to see a little bit of a spark there. But when you have one side that's having some spurts and then the other side lets you down, it's like playing it's like playing full court press, and you got the point man at the top of the game and he's up there hustling, but everybody else is just kind of sitting back.
Speaker 1: What's the point in two straight games too? Yeah, it's like, what's the point in both games?
Speaker 2: A one score game at halftime going into the halftime break against the Eagles and the Texans because of your defense, your defense helped serve and the defense gives you a shot.
Speaker 7: Like you said, I like what you said about the defense and how they're there's something there, right, but look at the circumstances and situations that the offense and now special teams.
Speaker 6: Are putting them in. It is insurmountable.
Speaker 7: So the mistakes that they're making on both sides, on special teams and also.
Speaker 1: Not complimentary ball.
Speaker 3: It is not it is not to what you just said and what I've been saying that in comparison to twenty twenty two, this is a different outfit for Cooper Rush. This outfit does not put him in the best position to succeed because the offensive line it did better last night, I will say that, but for the most part, they've had protection issues up front. The rushing attack did him no favors last night. Rico really struggled last night, and then so did everyone else. I give a lot of that credit to the front seven. Oh, that's fair, but Houston was a really good he didn't have a rushing attack.
Speaker 1: Yeah, to Lean, they weren't great on the secondary side of things.
Speaker 3: And then Cooper himself, he was not making good throws, like a lot of the throws on those cross the routes, they were behind receivers, they were behind ceed lamb and things like that. But and I hate to be hate to be this guy. But let's say they win four games of the next seven. Okay, do you know what it does for their playoff lots? I kid you not, liter really nothing, it would they if they win it. This is via playoff status dot com. Uh, fantastic sight if you guys want to keep tracking interesting, if the Cowboys win four of the next seven games, they still have less than a one percent chance of making the playoffs.
Speaker 6: And it hurts your draft position.
Speaker 3: And it hurts you draft position. Now you're wondering based on what I just said. Well, no, see, how many do they have to win for it to actually matter? For it to actually matter, you have to win six of the next seven. But that only increases you to fourteen percent. You have a fourteen percent chance if you want six nine, seven. Correct, That is not winning. That's not even great. But at least that's conversation. You have to win seven seven.
Speaker 1: I get it, I get it.
Speaker 4: Control the controllables. I'm just I'm just speaking literally from from what I'm seeing, and it's really bad on offense, right, now if I'm just telling you, if you heard your no no no if. But again, I'm putting that on the lap of McCarthy or shot himri. The're coaching for not only this job, they're coaching for the for the jobs in the future. That's just the reality.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're not.
Speaker 4: It's the probability of them returning here is low. I'm just gonna say it out there. Okay, it's low. Right, I'm not calling those shots, but this is this is keep let's keep it real, Okay. So they're coaching for for opportunities in the future, whether that's here or whether that's at another location. That's what they're coaching for. Regardless of what's going on with this season. They have a reputation as a coaching staff. People are gonna look back and look at their film and their decision making. So I'm putting it in their laps to put together a game plan that utilizes the resources that they have right now in their hand. Their old line has beat the crap, but you have some young guys behind them that are hungry. You have a hoffman who likes to fight every play you have. You have a bass who likes who likes to get after it right, and not just being underwater. You have some dudes that can get after it. Okay, you got two money dough. You got some dudes out there that can play. You don't have no no, no punks behind them. These guys can step up and play. But you have to give them purpose. You have to give them some motivation. You got to give them some encouragement. And if you do an if you find a way to mix in some trey lands to get some spark and move the chains from here and there, you might just find something. But again that's on the coaches. You're not gonna You can't just keep calling your game like normal and expect your players just.
Speaker 1: To pick it up. It's not the case, right.
Speaker 4: You have to figure out something. And I think if you do, if you win these next two games, then guess what Deron Blam might come back right then? Obviously d Law might say, hmm, maybe I want to come back now, right, Maybe I want to, Maybe I don't. Maybe I don't want to sit out here with my family in this suite. Maybe I want to get out there and get on the field.
Speaker 1: Right. So, now you have some guys that step up there. Now all of a sudden your defense. You look around your life.
Speaker 4: Oh crap, these guys are rolling right, and again, what that does for your playoffs? That's not in your that's not your control.
Speaker 1: You control, you control. Again, it's the same offensive players.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna keep this conversation rolling into the second break because we've got to take her first one. When we come back, we'll continue this conversation talk about the schedule ahead and some of the winnable games that are there, and how do you get there. That's my question is what is that game play and what does it look like when we come back right after this. If you're looking for fresh American roasted coffee that gives back, you need to head to your local grocery store and pick up a bag of Black Rifle Coffee. That's right, America's coffee is now available in the coffee aisle of a grocery store near you. Black Rifle Coffee Company is veteran founded with a mission to give back to those brave men and women who have served our nation. Every bag box or can you purchase help support that mission. Head to your local grocery store and roast yourself some Black Rifle coffee today. Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the cheetah Savannah.
Speaker 8: Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable, and now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per ho.
Speaker 9: But the good news is Todd has AT and T five G.
Speaker 8: It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At.
Speaker 9: And T five G. Fast reliable, Secure.
Speaker 1: Five G requires campable plan and device five G may not be available. Add dot com slash five G for you for dy deals. It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas.
Speaker 2: Cowboys, Jack Black, and right now Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order, plus because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy lipball. Make a play for the playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP. That's get Jack black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP.
Speaker 10: If you shout how about them cowboys? You have that undeniable passion that's the heart of Cowboys Nation. And if you like to drink Doctor Pepper, you love the unique blend of its twenty three flavors. Together, you're one of a kind fandom paired with the one of a kind taste of a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper is the game day lineup that can't be beat better. Yet, gather your Cowboys and Doctor Pepper fan friends to watch the next game and crack open a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper for everyone.
Speaker 6: The win will be even tastier. It's a pepper thing.
Speaker 1: To Talking Cowboys. Back here on Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 2: This portion of the show is brought to you by a Quaker Oats, the official oatmeal sponsor of the Dallas Cowboys. Quaker Oats trusted since eighteen seventy seven. That was the only thing I had to look forward to this morning.
Speaker 1: No, it's not Kyle Quaker. Don't do that. Don't you freaking do that. You freaking wake it up, buddy. It's not a funeral. I never went to sleep.
Speaker 4: It's not a freaking funeral. Okay, you get back on that saddle and who get back on that thing?
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 2: Well, just because of that, let's look at the next four games. We're talking about four games that just.
Speaker 1: Look to just look to just look at the nixt two.
Speaker 4: Just look at the next two, Kyle, because if you don't, if you look too far in advance, you know you're gonna lose.
Speaker 1: You're gonna lose. Hope, look at the next two. All right.
Speaker 4: If you can't get up for a game against your former defensive coordinator, then go just sit out at the crib.
Speaker 2: There's seven and four. It's a noon kickoff on the road against the Commanders.
Speaker 6: This Commanders.
Speaker 1: You know, D's gonna be hype.
Speaker 6: He's gonna be high.
Speaker 4: You know he's gonna be hype. And I'm honestly he's looking to bring it. He's gonna bring the heat. And I like, obviously I love Dan Quinn. I'm not one hundred percent convinced with their team.
Speaker 6: I don't think they are either.
Speaker 1: Yeah, honestly, I'm serious.
Speaker 6: I had a hot start, but man, yes.
Speaker 4: I'm not one hundred percent convinced with their team. And I think that the one player, right the one player that really makes their thing go. Okay, they have too offensively really right, you got the B B. Robinson obviously at the running back position, and then you have Jayden Daniels.
Speaker 1: If you can Terry McLaurin.
Speaker 4: But but if, but if you can get it, if you can get to Jaydon, yeah, I think I think if you get to Jaydon, he's frail, that he's I'm not I don't wish nothing on nobody, but with what you're seeing. But yeah, absolutely what you see between between between Demo and freaking Mike. I'm telling you that combination is nasty. I'm gonna keep saying it. You'll can get tired of me saying that that combination is ooh wee. I don't think it's ooh freaking wi. I'm telling you what one guy is like, Okay, he's a problem. When there's two of those jokers, Jason, it's all.
Speaker 6: We can hang our hand hat on right now. But even yesterday, please keep saying.
Speaker 4: Better yesterday. If you watch so, I'm telling you it's you could turn it on and turn it off as a player. I don't know if fans know that, right, and just I'm just gonna say some stuff that people probably don't want to hear.
Speaker 1: The check hits the same whether you win or win or nice it does.
Speaker 4: The check hits the same those eight over those eighteen weeks, whether you win or not, you're gonna get paid the same exact amount as a player. Now, with that on the table, I can either be motivated to go play or I can say, eh, I'm just going out here just trying to survive.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna count down this clock every game and I'm gonna wait for that check to hit.
Speaker 4: That's the mindset. That is the realistic mindset. Sorry for those that think that that sounds terrible, that's the reality.
Speaker 2: It feels more so like the ladder, at least yesterday after the game was over and kind of the field going into lockerroom, if they would have laid down, if they would have laid down, They did not lay down.
Speaker 4: I don't feel like they laid down. I feel like the game got away from him, and I feel they crazy stuff happened. Tyler Guiding thought he was a running back.
Speaker 1: I'm here's the proof.
Speaker 3: They didn't lay down. They were almost literally still fighting. Yeah, I mean fighting. They're fighting.
Speaker 4: So that's why when when Jerry Jones gets out there in the postgame it says that I don't there's no quit in those guys.
Speaker 1: I don't disagree with him at least saying regards to this game. I don't think exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't think they quit in this game, but I think they were looking at it in a similar way that everyone is looking at it, and they're saying, Okay, now you gotta win out now, that's it.
Speaker 4: It's your only hope. And even that is a slim chance. You know what it starts with, call it starts with one. And I'm not I'm not being I'm not trying to be super overly optimistic. I'm just being realistic. Right now, I'm saying, you're.
Speaker 6: Like one of those motivational posters.
Speaker 1: No, it's just it's just it's the reality of everybody's playing for their job.
Speaker 4: Like, even though it sucks, somebody has to have a conversation with these guys right now and say, hey, coaches, if you guys ever want to coach again, y'all might want to figure it out. Ye players, you guys these I don't know if y'all notice, but you're kind most of y'all contracts are not guaranteed. I remember when coach Willingham came into to University of Washington and he told everybody, he's, y'all, don't do know that your scholarships are one year renewable contracts, right, and players like what and he started cutting guys, you're not guaranteed anything beyond this year. So if you put bad film out there, you're hurting yourself. Right if you're if you're if you're just hanging it up and just kind of just kind of trying to coast through. Two things are gonna happen. You're gonna put out bad film. It's not gonna help you try to get a contract somewhere else or even here next year. And you're gonna get injured because playing at anything less than one hundred percent in this league will get you hurt when the other guys playing at them exactly so saw some injuries pop up. I'm not saying that's how they came, but I'm just saying that you'll start seeing more of that if guys are start trying to just you know, call it in. So if you have a spark and it starts becoming fun again, that's when you'll see you guys start turning it back on. You're starting to see it on defense. You're starting to see it on defense. It's on the coaches now offensively, and they have to keep building defensively. Don't think that I'm letting those guys off off the hood. Sure they got to figure some things out still, they'll continue to get better, Jesus. But they'll get better as long as they continue to make plays and get more motivated, get more excited. Has some celebrations, all those all that step stuffs happening to guys want to play together offensively, you have there has to be hope. There has to be hope outside of the players. Outside of the players, there has to be hope. Get the ball on Turp's hands in space. Oh look what happened? Yeah that works right? What are you asking him to do what he does best? Maybe don't try it downfield, that's exactly. Let's not throw it to him fifteen twenty yards down.
Speaker 6: Maybe he's just not a good body in the air, yay.
Speaker 1: Maybe get it in in a position to be maybe block put him in a position to be. Society novel or you call duzvon up for this game. You sit down hundred lifting and run him in the winning attack and you run him in between the tackles. That's not creative.
Speaker 4: That's running your same offense with a different personnel and expecting different results. That's not being creative. Yes, be creative. I don't care if you gotta go watch Shanahan tape. I don't care if you gotta go watch old killing Moore tape when he used to empty out his bag in the first three games.
Speaker 1: Of the season. I don't care if you gotta go watch Ben Johnson.
Speaker 4: Please go watch all these cats or whatever you gotta do to spark some some into some innovation so that you can get these guys playing Prevens van for.
Speaker 1: When you get in the red zone. He's freaking six nineteen. Put him in the post. At least six nineteen.
Speaker 4: Put him in a post. You know what I'm saying, Like, that's not your normal guy that you throw the ball to. But guess what, he's huge. You go to him and you say, hey, hey, bro, you're taller, you're bigger, you're fasten all these cats.
Speaker 1: We're gonna go down there. You post up in the goal line. I'm throwing it up to you. Make a play.
Speaker 6: He's got hands. Yes he was catching that mean that was his best game.
Speaker 1: So far of his career.
Speaker 4: Maybe Jonathan Mingo Mingo Mingo was open what he was four times zero zero completion kitch and he.
Speaker 1: Was open Booty button neked Op running around.
Speaker 3: Was which goes to my point. Offense just ain't it so as much as the defense. You're right, as much as the defense it effected the last two games. Actually they're showing you something.
Speaker 2: They're showing you some times, but still inconsistent enough to give up thirty four points.
Speaker 1: Because the situation exhausted.
Speaker 3: Against the Eagles, they gave you a great first half or taking the ball away. Third quarter got away from them because time of possession flipped this time around, time of possession started, not even start to flip. Texans own time of possession the entirety of the game from the first drive when they went, you know, three and out. But yeah, defense, I believe defense is showing you life. I think the defense can and probably will get better over the next several games. Problem is the offense is not showing me any life. Regardless of who they put in there.
Speaker 1: You're winning.
Speaker 3: You trade a fourth round pick for Jonathan Mango, you get him in his debut game four targets. You tried to get it. He's open, you try to get it to him. The routes were there, the play call was there, the ball wasn't there. So again, I say, the offense is just too far gone to be able to repair themselves over the course of a seven game stretch in which they need to win at minimum six to have a conversational chance, but seven to have an actual chance.
Speaker 1: I hear you, so yeah, I agree.
Speaker 3: Defense, they might make things fun going forward, but they're gonna get gassed time and again because the offense just can't can't get it.
Speaker 4: The defense is only gonna have fun and make things interesting if the offense can start playing, and if the offense does not start making plays, the defense will shut it down.
Speaker 1: I'm talking about the players. Which one's more likely.
Speaker 2: We'll answer that question when we come back right after this, because more talking cowboys.
Speaker 8: Smooth Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the Cheat of Savannah. Todd believed the big cat repellent he bought online was reliable. And now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has at and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At.
Speaker 9: And T five G. Fast, reliable, secure five G.
Speaker 1: Requires CAMPAPBA plan and device five G may not be available in your area. Seeatt dot com slash five G FORU fifty deals.
Speaker 5: They say champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United Agon Turf offers a winning lineup of John Deere equipment built to tackle any challenge on and off the field. Legendary John Deere Tractors combines residential mowers, commercial mowers, compact construction equipment, hater utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sports turf equipment. United Agon Turf the official Agon Turf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit United Dagonturf dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 11: Hey, y'all, Matt Pittman of Meat Church here. With football season kicking off, I'm already gear enough to bring the smoker back to AT and T Stadium for some epic tailgates. But with that Texas heat. It's crucial to keep my beer handcramp and cold. That's where Yetti's insulated Colster can cooler comes in clutch this year. You can even get them with the iconic star engraved on the side. Licensed Yettie Cowboys gears now available at stadium pro shops, concessions and on Yettie dot com. Check it out today. YETI official cooler and drinkware of the Dallas Cowboys, and we're going to overtime Erica.
Speaker 1: How much have I spent on concessions?
Speaker 12: For questions about their money? Dallas Cowboys fans can turn to Erica, the virtual financial assistant in the Bank of America mobile banking app. Learn more at Bankofamerica dot com slash Erica by your side. Bank of America, Official Bank of the Dallas Cowboys. Erica responses may very digital tools featured required dowloading the mobile banking app and may only be available on select mobile devices. Erica is a mobile feature only available in the Englis language. Your chap may be recorded and monitored for quality assurance. Message data rates and additional terms may apply. Bank of America and a member FDIC.
Speaker 1: To Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 2: Back, You're on Talking Cowboys. This segment has brought to you by vis A Line, the official Smile of the Dallas Cowboys. We are smiling through the pain of a thirty four to ten loss to the Houston Texans three and seven.
Speaker 1: Now on the season Control the Controllables come. No, I like it, And you asked the question, it's not a funeral yet. We'll get there. Yeah, we'll get there. We'll wear black on the day. They're mathematically as long as.
Speaker 6: You're already created an effigy, as.
Speaker 1: Long as you're on a breathing machine, you're giving me a chance of life. Give me a preview of the effigy.
Speaker 7: You're thinking of a eulogy, and effigy is just like a fire like he's still statue.
Speaker 1: What is a statue?
Speaker 6: So it's it's an effigy.
Speaker 1: Those spirit fingers fers. Yeah, it's like a pire.
Speaker 7: It's a it's like a statue that you burn in the mamorialization of a person or.
Speaker 1: Something's going full of vikings right now. Yeah, it's pretty cool. Yeah, So so no preview, Yeah, no, flo you gotta wait.
Speaker 2: You just bought that thing, I know, right, Uh, But you asked the question prior to the break of I want to see which ones more likely. The more likely side of things that the offense is able to click or that the defense runs out of gas, which one is more likely.
Speaker 1: Between the two.
Speaker 4: Can't separate it, I honestly can't separate it because if the offense, if the offense does not start getting some positive consistent play, the defense will run.
Speaker 1: Well, they would just stop. It's not ever run out of gas.
Speaker 4: Is the players will not even like a putter. Yeah, no, no, no no, They'll just hit the break. The players would just be that What am I here for? I'm just being genuine, being real with the people.
Speaker 1: Right now.
Speaker 4: If the offense drivers, yeahak, by the way, whatever you need, Okay, whatever you need.
Speaker 1: What's to say they haven't hit them handbrake already?
Speaker 4: Because you saw a fight yesterday. You saw fight, You saw guys flying around, you saw cats fighting smoke. Yeah, well Kavante wanted it first before.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Marquise Bell was in the face mask of like multiple guys and the guys are guys for the one.
Speaker 2: See but the But that's the thing that I'm I'm I don't know if I'm convinced by the fact that you're willing to push and show of an imposing team.
Speaker 6: No, it's just frustration.
Speaker 1: Correct. I don't know if that to me says oh these guys are fighting, they're just shows that you're not checked out, is what he's saying.
Speaker 3: It's it's because if you're completely checked why do you care enough to even I understand, but I.
Speaker 2: Argue that you fighting in that moment is just you know what, I am checked out? This season is over.
Speaker 1: Anyways, You're not gonna punk me because I'm this guy and here we go.
Speaker 4: I see you taking it that way. But that's not what we saw, Okay. I I don't disagree that we've seen that in the past. Who fighting?
Speaker 2: The guys that are showing fight quote unquote are guys like Brock Kaffman, Marquise Bell exactly. But there it was Brockkaffman, Marquis Bell, Cavante Turpin who was another one.
Speaker 1: Who else got that penalty? It was a group Smith Smith.
Speaker 2: These are all guys that haven't been your cornerstone players. No, they're not not your cornerstone guys to help you win football games.
Speaker 1: Mark there could be one of your best tacklers.
Speaker 4: Last year, he was one of your most impactful players last year safe in this system.
Speaker 1: Yes, in this and this should have been a backup in last year too.
Speaker 4: And dan quiz system, he's a starter at line back out of impact, out of necessity and impactful one he made didn't He was impactful, but not by choice.
Speaker 1: It was buying who led the team in tackles? Yeah, due, it was You could.
Speaker 4: Have led the team in tackles last season if you would take away from guys what they show on film.
Speaker 1: He was playing out of position. It was not pretty.
Speaker 4: You can't take away his production just because he's he has a versatility to play out of position.
Speaker 1: Yes, which is rare. And he showed up for him and he's and.
Speaker 4: He hurt himself yesterday doing what flying around the hit and throwing exactly body.
Speaker 1: He should have been getting defensive snaps. Yeah. Absolutely, there's a lot of guys. There's a lot of guys should have been getting defensive snaps. Clark, Yeah, huh. De moont Clark led last season those Marquis lest year and Marquis was second with So Marquis, who's your backup safety one of those? Gay and de mont Clark.
Speaker 4: De mont Clark is sitting on the sideline yesterday, and Marquis Bell, your second highest tackler from last year, just happens to be just a special teams guy for you.
Speaker 1: Now, I love Marquis Bell, don't give me this is the scheme that has Donald playing backwards. Don't get me.
Speaker 2: Wrong, I love Marquis Bell. But if we're saying Marquis Bell is a cornerstone of.
Speaker 1: This defense, I didn't say that. I'm just saying that you. That was my point is, these are guys that are not cornerstones. Okay, So how many cornerstone guys do you have.
Speaker 2: You've got Micah, You've got Demarvion Overshown. I would call him a cornerstone a defense right now. On the offensive side, you've got CD Jake Ferguson. Any of your offensive linemen that are still healthy, I mean, you've.
Speaker 1: Still at this point.
Speaker 6: Is your cornerstone.
Speaker 1: Absolutely.
Speaker 2: Rico Dawdle was He's got to be your cornerstone, even though they don't give him the football and he had a rough game yesterday.
Speaker 1: None of the impact players.
Speaker 4: What I'm saying is, Okay, you can put whatever title you want. You have very capable players on this roster that are healthy you have guys who are capable of being impact players on this team that are being underutilized, Yes, substantially underutilized. And again because of that, regardless of what they've done in the past, regardless of what they're doing right now.
Speaker 1: They're capable.
Speaker 4: They are so capable, and you have to give them a reason to be confident and give them a reason to run around there and play.
Speaker 1: When you see guys like Juyyat.
Speaker 4: Making plays yesterday, first person that grabs them or Butler, it was Butler that made a play yesterday.
Speaker 1: First person that grabs us is who Al Harris and gases him up.
Speaker 4: And then as he's walking away from Al Hares, you can see him literally just feel with just encouragement.
Speaker 1: You can see him feel with encouragement.
Speaker 4: My coach is invested in me and he's gassing me up. Yeah, he's my hype man. So guess what now, O, Yeah, I could do that. I can make plays. There's no different than Hardball talking to we talk about quarterbacks. Harball does the same thing to Herbert all his quarterbacks. He makes them fee like they're the greatest people on earth. It's the coach's responsibility to reinstill encouragement and confidence of these players.
Speaker 1: Even though these guys are paid, they still have coaches. If they didn't need coaches, then the coaches wouldn't be there. You still got to instill confidence.
Speaker 4: So I'm putting it on these coaches laps to give these guys an encouragement that they need to go out there and make plays. And if they don't, if you keep taking guys and just rotating them in and just putting them through your system and being so bullheaded that you think your system is so strong that it's gonna work out, you're gonna get the same result. Guys can keep hitting their head on the wall, and guys are gonna start saying, you know what, I got seven checks left, and.
Speaker 1: Everything you just said is kind of how I see it playing out right now. I don't that's.
Speaker 3: Exactly how I think the bottom line is, because yeah, coaches, they need to really step in and keep these guys like as locked in as possible and over these last seven games and.
Speaker 1: He's called and he's so called leaders sit their butt on the side. We also talked about the depth chart.
Speaker 3: You're in dire straits, brother, Yeah, I mean like at a certain point the falloff from the talent level levels at this point is just not going to match up and line up against the best of the best in the league other pro For example, the Washington Commanders you have, they have some guys hurting, but for the most part, they're mostly whole. So that talent differential between what you're going up against in a Washington Commander's team and what you're able to feel this weekend as a Cowboys team that is just killed obliterated by injuries. Coaching needs to do exactly what Isaiah is saying. Yes, but it's also true that the ceiling has now fallen all the way down here as far as what they can coach up, because you're not coaching up Brandon Cooks, he's not on the field yet. You're not coaching up DeMarcus Lawrence. He's not back on the field yet. Dron Bland not back on the field yet. Might not be Zach Martin, might not be Tyler Smith this weekend, might not be, might not be My not be.
Speaker 1: So at a point, you just don't have the horses.
Speaker 3: So you can coach up these horses as best you can, and you need to because that's what you're getting paid. To do, agreed, But if we're talking Derby type stuff, if your horse has three bad hoofs and his horse is a prize winner and it's fully healthy, you're going to the race.
Speaker 4: The reason why I said, look at the next few games. Yeah, I get it, look at the next few games, because after that you help might be in the way. And if and if you're in, if you're winning, guess what, oh.
Speaker 1: You know what this. I feel a little bit better today, you know, feel a little bit better today, you know, and give me back out there. Let's go break get those bands. Anything less than seven wins and all you did was hurt the draft position.
Speaker 4: Currently players, listen, players aren't playing for that, this coaching staffe saying, I hear you, I hear you, But this those casts on that side of the building don't give a dog off.
Speaker 1: They don't care.
Speaker 2: We can't and I think we're if we're sitting here and saying that this team, even prior to the injuries, was like kind of to Patrick's point earlier, was playing, Well, we're fooling ourselves.
Speaker 1: We're talking about guys like Marquise Bell and brock hot and and Josh Scott.
Speaker 2: We're playing I mean, these are guys that are not overarching the quality of player you need to win a Super Bowl. And at the end of the day, when we went into this season, the one goal on the mind of this franchise was get back to an NFC championship and win a Super Bowl.
Speaker 1: And you that was the goal. If we were wrong in assessing that, that's fine. But we're fooling ourselves if we're saying, even.
Speaker 2: Without the injuries, this team was good enough to do that with what we've seen in the sample size we've seen in twenty ten.
Speaker 1: Right now, you don't have the horses. I put a lot on coaches. I do too.
Speaker 4: I mean to do because because there's a thing called development, player development, Like that's a real thing, and I'm sorry for fans out there, that thing that you just get the player that's just amazing all of a sudden just comes in, just magically, just shows up really to ball. There's a handful of those guys. There's a handful of those guys. A lot of most other guys need coaches to believe in them, invest in them and build them up. Most most players in his league, there's players in his league. They've been playing for fifteen plus years that this continue to have coaches pour into them and they're productive players.
Speaker 1: Well, you've got you've got an example of both.
Speaker 2: You've had Mike NCD who showed up day one and they were impact players. But then you turn around and you've got You've got guys like Jake Ferguson coached up and developed by Londa Wells. You've got Trayvon Diggs coached up and developed by Al Harris.
Speaker 1: You've got both guys.
Speaker 2: We've got to go. We're at the end of the show. Unfortunate, we run out of time every single time. We're having great conversation. When we come back tomorrow, we're turning the page quickly.
Speaker 1: It's not a funeral.
Speaker 2: We are going into the Washington Commanders preview tomorrow morning. Cowboys defense versus the Washington offense. How do they slow down? Jayden Daniels.
Speaker 1: Yes, cool.
Speaker 2: We've got Patrick Nosey Walker for Isaiah Stanback for Josh Rodriguez, Chris Beam in the back of Kyle Yomen saying so long from talking Cowboys will see tomorrow. This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.