Speaker 1: Looking for a mortgage bank to help you make your next major mortgage move, whether it's a refi or home purchase, regardless of whether it's your first one or one of many, consider our friends at Stockton Mortgage, but don't just take our word for it. Stockton Mortgage has over seventy thousand five star reviews and counting, just like this review from.
Speaker 2: Joshua, who says this about his experience with Stockton. They were super professional, always answer my questions I had, and streamlined the process. I could not ask for better people to help me and my family get our first house. I feel blessed to be able to go through them. Be like Joshua or the sixty nine, nine hundred and ninety nine others just like him, and get started with Stockton Mortgage today by going to Stockton dot com and get started. I've even used Stockton Mortgage myself on my own home loan. For your home loan needs, Stockton dot com and click get started. Stockton Mortgage NMLS eight two five nine Equal Housing Lender NMLS, Consumer Access dot Org.
Speaker 3: Welcome back to ASR.
Speaker 4: Drew Franklin in for Matt Jones with Billy Rutledge and Corey Price here going over Kentucky's eight national championships. Got to confess something. I had had a few too many donuts during that break. You know I'm trying an April diet. I didn't know Corey brought a dozen I had. I had several while you stepped out.
Speaker 5: Billy, Well, that's that's because they're good. They're North Line, They've used to sponsor the pre show. They are great friends of ours. You are one hour down, nine to go. You've got a great job.
Speaker 3: Thanks.
Speaker 4: I have sugar all over my face. I'm gonna tell you about Stockton Mortgage Real quick. Feeling way down behind high interest debt now I'm feeling way down by donuts. But Stockton Mortgage can help you use the equity in your home to pay it down and breathe easier. You can turn your equity into an opportunity. Stockton can help own owners. Homeowners use their homes value to consolidate debt or fun big goals. Learn more at stocktont dot com. What is Ryan Lemon usually say on this read?
Speaker 5: Billy?
Speaker 6: Is it a all right? Let's piece it together?
Speaker 5: Yeah, let's get all the checkpoints. It's a good time to buy it is Market's hot right now, markets hot crow, You'll talk to a human being as well.
Speaker 4: Stockton makes the process simple. One easy loan, one fresh start. Go to Stockton dot Com n MLS eight two five nine. Stockton Mortgage is always a good sponsor here, equal housing lender, Equal housing lender. Thank you, Corey, you don't even have notes in front of you. Thank you for the help.
Speaker 7: There.
Speaker 6: One assist for Corey there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm still worried we're gonna be behind on our assignment. So let's just jump right back into our championship game. Knock a few more out. I wanted to give more time to forty eight. You were great forty eight first one. We'll always remember you, but we got to keep moving. How about just the next year, nineteen forty nine, Corey, they did it again. Didn't take a longer second one. They were thirty two and two that the year season long twenty one game with Wayne Streak number one in the final poll in the AP Alex Grozer was six in the country and scoring the year twenty point five point a game. That team had six future draft picks. Four went on to play in the pros. There were top five in the country and scoring offense, scoring margin, and free throw percentage. They had three All Americans, Ralph Beard, Alex Groz and Wawai Jones for back to back years. They brought like four of the four of the Fab Five back. That was hard to say, especially with donuts still in my mouth gros of Beard, Walwa Jones and Cliff Barker. I guy, Cliff Barker, Yeah, heero. I got a fun Cliff Barker note in my forty nine recap here. In the regular season finale, they beat seven Vandy seventy to thirty seven at Vanderbilt, including a last second sixty five footer by my guy, Cliff Barker. I just got to know, why are we taking sixty five footers while we're about forty points.
Speaker 5: I'm not against it, run it up on Vandy, but Cliff is out there firing.
Speaker 8: It's like no mercy, It's doing bombs both on the Cliff bark Alex Groze was Helm's National Player of the Year and found the four most Estadian player. They are Pepper thirteen to Ozero and the SEC one. The season and the Commas tournament and they defeated oaklumb A and m which is now Oklhoma State forty six thirty six in the national title of game, and of course Alex Grozer was a leading scorer with twenty that points.
Speaker 4: Croze was a Bucket song of the Year, cruising down the River by a blue baron and his orchestra. According to Corey Price, this is the year the first polaroid camera was sold. All the King's Men won the Academy Award for Best Picture. What a great year. In nineteen forty nine, Kentucky out won the SEC Tournament, winning four games by a combined one hundred and twenty three points.
Speaker 3: Billy, I feel like that's that's pretty big.
Speaker 6: That's pretty good.
Speaker 5: I feel like a polaroid photo from that championship run would go for a lot of money.
Speaker 6: I do like that.
Speaker 5: Groza Wah Wah and Ralph Bield all just decided to run it back. I mean, they know, oh abat five to two back to back titles. They just say, let's do it again, and they do it again. So very cool to hear.
Speaker 4: Since it's kind of the same era, let's just keep it roll with nineteen fifty one. I mean, we were hot from forty eight to fifty one. Very very hot.
Speaker 8: Three thousand, four years fifty one, San Beckers forty nine, thirty two and two. They had a twenty one game win streak before their loss and the SEC Tournament championship against Vanderbilt Number one in the final AP poll, there were top five in the country and scoring, offense and scoring margin.
Speaker 3: Leading scorer was Bill Spivey.
Speaker 8: He was one of the first good seven four years in college basketball, two All Americans Frank Ramsey and Bill bill Spivey, five future NBA players and draft picks. Not surprisingly, Bill Bill Spivey was the Helms National Player of the Year and final the fourmost Icelian player. They were a perfect fourteen to zero in the SEC, but like I said, lost in the tournament finals to Vandy and in the finals of the tournament they did if he did Kansas State sixty eight fifty eight and Bill Spivey twenty two points, twenty one rebounds, monster.
Speaker 3: Games out the Big seventh. What a big game.
Speaker 4: I want to add I like this team because in the opening round of the NCAA Tournament they played a school known as the University of Louisville and they handed them that. In Louisville, you go on home first time they had.
Speaker 3: Played Little Dulls got newsed that up by now right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Bill Spivey and the boys in fifty one started all this butt kicking Kentucky started for the next seventy years. Also, nineteen fifty one was Memorial Coliseum's first year. When they won it in forty nine, that's kind of credited with sparking the excitement to start construction on that So, uh, fifty one debuted Memorial Coliseum and won the title.
Speaker 6: I don't think he played a lot, but C. M. Newton, Yeah, Matt Roster.
Speaker 8: Wasn't Jebby Hall on the fifty one team. He didn't play very much but just three game appearances. But you know what, he had a jersey.
Speaker 4: And while we're just shouting out random people on the roster, Madisonville's own Frank Ramsey, a famer, a legend. He does nothing but win championships, won like a million with the Boston Celtics won in fifty one with Kentucky winning, it's what Frank Ramsey did before we move on to the next one just a few years later. Let's knock out some calls. I don't want to make people waiting anymore. Who's up next?
Speaker 3: Rick? Daniel is up next, Daniel, Thanks for calling in. What you got for us?
Speaker 4: Talk to us, Daniel, Daniel, I can hear it, Park twice if there, Daniel, Daniel my brother. All right, We're alright, all right to Indiana Luke, Indiana, Luke, are you there?
Speaker 7: I'm here, boys, Yeah, yeah, for sure. I wanted just to say that you guys are doing a bang up job here holding down the flour. You know, the entire crew decided to take vacation on you at the same time. Uh Bban loves you. We got your back, We're behind you this week, and you're gonna crush it.
Speaker 9: You question.
Speaker 7: Yeah, for sure, guys.
Speaker 9: I feel like we.
Speaker 7: Really lacked a like an athletic wing type player this year. Is Cam Williams fit that mold for us? Or do you think we need to maybe target somebody else in that like six six to six eight range that can be quick off the dribble, create their own shot and whatnot.
Speaker 4: I appreciate the call, and I appreciate the con words. Before I get to Cam Williams. Billy people have been very nice all leading up to this. People are saying they're excited. Send me personal messages, a lot of support. I didn't get to answer all of them. It means a lot to me that our listeners don't hate me and they're excited for this week. So starting with him and everyone else that's reached out, I appreciate it.
Speaker 5: But you're a hard worker, Drew, and thank you, and we take notice of that. And glad that you're going to be able to talk interrupted over the next couple of days. And even when you hosted the post game show and KSR last year, I think you did a great job. So you know, this has been a long time coming, so don't don't think that you're not ready for this melting.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and you know, those guys might have a job when they get back. They're the ones that all scheduled vacation. I'll add during the championship, Mario, I mean, what if we were in the.
Speaker 5: Championship, Yeah, it shows the mentality that the title game was tonight. I would be in San Antonio by myself, with the radio equipment that doesn't work, in a big empty airbnb, by myself calling.
Speaker 4: You back here, and like we'd have a pre and post game. I wish that had been the case. To his point, about the athletic wing. I think people are sleeping on Cam Williams, a little bit good three and D guy. You know, he kind of committed in the middle of NCAA tournament, kind of got glossed over a little bit, and his name hadn't been mentioned a lot when looking forward to next year with all the pieces they already have. But I think that was a good addition. It's a guy with some NBA potential. Didn't put up huge scoring numbers at Tulane, but a lot of people rave about his athleticism and potential. Is a big three and D and that's exactly what they need.
Speaker 5: And I think that's something that many in Big Blue Nation was yearning for from the previous roster, was more athleticism, right, and that can get it done with Cam Williams at the three. I still expect them to get somebody else, like a shooter out there, but got to.
Speaker 4: Get a shooter, yeah, I mean, lo, we can talk about how we like low not necessarily a great shooter.
Speaker 3: Hopefully his numbers go up a little bit. Oh way, we know what he is. The way Pope runs that offense, he does need to add.
Speaker 5: Some shooting, yeah, and have depth, right, I mean Kobe Brea was going to be the sixth man before he was thrust it into the starting role. So things can change throughout the year. So you've got to get a lot more guys on this roster as of now.
Speaker 3: Let's get one more call in Rick. Okay, Jerry's up next, talk to us, Jerry.
Speaker 9: What's up, Drew? How you doing?
Speaker 3: I'm excellent, Thanks for asking, all.
Speaker 6: Right, he just wanted to know how you're doing, Drew. Oh there he is, go ahead.
Speaker 9: Carry yes, those we out Brose. He's been in Spain the past couple of weeks, but he gets back today, so watch out comment here the next couple of days. And then I was hoping you to ask him. I just saw pold check not thedin tans and we're given in a little so uh. I was just let say about that, but I'll get ed boys can What was.
Speaker 3: That last name?
Speaker 4: It was muffled there, Quinn Tance? Okay, thank you appreciate the call.
Speaker 3: Is that Jayden Quaintance? Maybe Quaintance? I'm not sure his first question, what was the first question? I got thrown off?
Speaker 4: I could barely hear that the first part I had an answer and it's already slipped my mind what you said.
Speaker 6: Well, we were talking about athletic bigs.
Speaker 3: Right, yes, Oh, Robert Morris, our boy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this Spanish guy, yeah yeah, coming back from Spain today. I'm gonna trust you. I haven't seen that reported, but the caller said that he's coming back from Spain.
Speaker 6: I'm trusting the caller.
Speaker 4: Well, then he's coming back from Spain. I mean, he wouldn't lie to us. Now, that's when we mentioned that at the beginning of the show. He is definitely one to watch. That's been reported since the beginning that he and Pope have a good connection. Sound like he just wanted to get on campus and you know, been in Spain. Man, it's got to go home, see the family for a little bit. So if today's Today is getting back, I would expect some news on that soon. Our boy, Alvero Folguerz is what we're saying, hoping we're pronounced it right. But he was a fourteen points per game guy at Robert Morris can rebound best part, shot forty percent from three, forty one percent from three.
Speaker 5: I think, Billy, Yeah, yeah, I'm excited if that's somebody that Kentucky can add that he can be a real contributor at the four.
Speaker 6: Did you see the photo that was posted on the Bond That.
Speaker 5: Bridge, so to speak Facebook page of Mark Pope taking a picture with a fan in San Antonio.
Speaker 6: It looked like he had just been given bad news over the phone.
Speaker 4: I mean yeah, the caption said Mark Pope just lost the recruit and still took a picture. I think that was the Taylor bull bowing from Florida State.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 10: Uh, you know.
Speaker 4: Pope's mister nice guy. I've never seen him not smile. I caught him in a moment there.
Speaker 5: I was shocked to see that photo, just because he did not look happy at all.
Speaker 6: And it was not because of the photo.
Speaker 5: It could not have been the way that guy takes photos for three hours after a game, so must something must have just happened. So it was incredible timing in that photo over the weekend.
Speaker 4: Yeah, those kids decades from now will have their picture with Mark Pope just looking so mad at the world, so mad in that while on his phone he had just gotten bad news. I guess let's take another break, then we'll get back to our championship game. Got a little championship trivia just talking more championships, more calls, more fun. Here on a Monday, it's Drew, Billy and Price and we'll be right back. Welcome back to Gadary Sports Radio. Drew Franklin with Billy Rutlich and Corey Price. We're celebrating Kentucky's eight national championships before two other teams played for this year's championship. We wish we could be there, but instead we're just thinking about the fond memories.
Speaker 3: Billy, we are.
Speaker 6: We had some great final four games.
Speaker 5: Now we cap it off with the national championship game tonight. Florida winning could cap off the best season ever for a conference, right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean they look so good. I don't like to admit when one of our SEC brethren are doing better than us, but it's been that way for a few years. Florida can whin it's third title tonight, but we're gonna focus on the Tom Kentucky one way back in What are we on nineteen fifty eight?
Speaker 3: I think we've done three?
Speaker 4: Yep, we were a Fidland five. We've done the Fab five in their returning year. Why were they Fidland in nineteen fifty eight?
Speaker 8: Corey preseason rep mentioned how their schedule was so difficult that they needed vi yolinists to play the schedule and they had only fiddle so they were interesting.
Speaker 5: Fidland fives. I have their T shirt, says film and five never really knew what that meant.
Speaker 8: Yeah, this team was. They had their struggles during the year. Their record overall was twenty three and six. They only had their biggest win streak the entire year was only eight games in December January. Heading into the last five games, they were only eighteen and six, but they won their last five. They won the ones that mattered. They were twelve and two in the SEC, won of the conference, number nine in the final eight a p pole they had won All American Vernon Hadden, who unfortunately passed away recently.
Speaker 3: Just lost him a few weeks ago.
Speaker 8: Yep, they had four guys selected in the draft. Three went on to play in the pros. They were top five in the country in free free throw percentage and they defeated Seattle eighty four seventy two in the national title game and Vernon Hadden went off. He scored thirty thirty points. That game was in Louisville, Right freem Hault's right, that would have been pretty cool. I wasn't a love for that, but I bet that was quite a party winning a national champions which.
Speaker 3: Is down the road in negative twenty seven. So yeah, it wasn't wasn't yet the late Vernon hadn't.
Speaker 4: Also, that season hit a half court shot to force overtime against Temple in the UK then one one of the biggest shots in UK history.
Speaker 8: And then he had another shot against Temple in the Final four.
Speaker 4: So we had a lot of beef with Temple back in the day. Some of the teams we've already mentioned played Temple. I think the forty nine team or forty eight team might have lost the Temple in the regular season then avenged it later. Temple was a little thorn in Kentucky's side, but not that year in nineteen fifty eight, No, sir. I have a Vernon Hatton quote about playing for UP. He says, it takes you six to eight years to get over playing for eight off Rup, but once you get over.
Speaker 3: It, you get to like him. So I guess that's a nice thing to say.
Speaker 5: A little like Patino, you're probably hating it in the moment. You're doing some wind sprints maybe, and then you realize much later on the lessons that he taught.
Speaker 3: They probably listened to Tequila by the Champs. That's right.
Speaker 4: When I love that you've added the song of the year. I appreciate the show prep on that. Elvis at least Jelhouse rock in that season. Also a little popular song, a little fun music trivia. Let's just keep it moving. Let's go to nineteen seventy eight. This is one I know actually a lot about. I have gone out of my way to learn more about the seventy eight team so before.
Speaker 6: I was born.
Speaker 3: But you know, I want to be knowledgeable. I read Goose's book. They call me Goose.
Speaker 4: I highly recommend that I took it on vacation last summer, read it completely through There at the Beach in the Pool. A lot of good insight there from him. There's lots of documentari has been done about it. Kyle Macy has a great YouTube channel where interviews players. To watch those. But tell me about nineteen seventy eight. That was a fun one.
Speaker 3: It was.
Speaker 8: They were thirty and two. They started the season hot. They started off fourteen and oh they were sixteen and two and the sec were runners, chist and champions number one in the final ap pole. Of course, the Goose was golden. He was the leading scorer on that team eighteen point one point eighteen point one points per game. They were top five in the country in field goal percentage. They had three all Americans, the Goose of course Kyle may see Rick Roby. They had ten guys drafted. Unfortunately only four actually played in the pros. But to have ten draft pickses insane. Goose was best day in UK history at the time. It was actually yeah, Goose was Helm's National Player of the Year and found four moost that same player. And of course we beat the Blue Devils ninety four eighty eight in the national title game and Goose went off. He scored the last sixteen points for UK in the first half, where he told of forty one which I believe is the third most ever in a national title game.
Speaker 4: I know this off the top of my head from reading the book. It was three point shy of Bill Walton's rewards forty four ye and the book is very thorough in how it came to be. Duke was really bad at defense and they did not make adjustments in Joby Hall who also snapped the twenty year streak of not having a title, kind of got that monkey off his back of following eight off Rup got the ring here, but he said, just keep feeding Goose because for some stupid reason, Duke stayed in his own and Jack just carved him up all around the perimeter. Twenty seven show just getting Jaminski had nothing for Goose. My grandparents they had the Sports Illustrated cover the Goose's Golden framed in their living room. So as a young kid, even though when I was a toddler, I didn't know what that meant. But I've been looking at a picture of Jack Gibbons for as long as I can remember. From that game. We should have called Jack, had him on the show.
Speaker 6: I know what are we doing?
Speaker 3: He could tell this a lot better than I could.
Speaker 5: That Sports Illustrated cover is the first thing that comes to mind for me. I mean iconic, the original lefty Goose scoring forty one in that championship game in the last sixteen that.
Speaker 3: Is against this just makes it so much better.
Speaker 11: Show.
Speaker 3: Kiss.
Speaker 4: You know, they probably listened to Night Fever by the Begi's Core. That's probably what they did. That's probably wore a bell ems too listen to it. There we go, look at all this history lesson We're having to fly through it. For some reason, I planned for an eight hour show. This this goes by so fast, Billy.
Speaker 5: Well, you know when you're when you're having fun, it can time can fly. I also think about Joe b winning that seventy eight championship, you know, originally a player, and then to do it as a coach with all the pressures from Rupp. I mean, I remember hearing that Rupp had a call in show after he retired, and he would bash Joby Hall on the show. I mean, on the call in show, he's bashing the coach. So it's just it's incredible that he was able to get it done and got that monkey office back he did.
Speaker 4: We got a little time left here, Corey. Didn't you bring some trivia? You want to fire off a few? I don't want to put you on the spot. Maybe you didn't have trivia. It looks like I Corey brought fifty pieces of paper in here. I've never seen so much paper for show prep.
Speaker 7: Mat.
Speaker 3: Why don't you throw me in, Billy a championship question before.
Speaker 8: We go to a break here, Matt I always said the too most important things for the first impression and last impression.
Speaker 4: So you're making a good first prep might have had too many donuts, but you're doing great.
Speaker 3: That's true.
Speaker 8: UKs one, they're eight national titles in eight different states. Can you name those eight different states?
Speaker 4: We've already covered a couple of them. We just said they won in Louisville, So there's Kentucky. Yep, that's a great question. They won in Seattle. It's Washington, Seattle. We just said they wanted at Lewis Missouri.
Speaker 6: Missouri.
Speaker 3: Kind of helps. We just went over these, uh, New.
Speaker 5: Orleans, Louisiana, New Orleans, metal Lands, that's New Jersey. Ninety eight was San Antonio versus Utah, right Texas? You know Minneapolis Minnesota?
Speaker 3: Is that one?
Speaker 6: Yep?
Speaker 3: How many have I done? I think you're cooking over here. You've done and you done something.
Speaker 6: You just sweep the whole category.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what year the first one? I went out of order? Oh, forty eight?
Speaker 4: Forty eight they won in Uh.
Speaker 3: Just said it, what was the big city, huge city?
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 4: They one in the Garden, New York. I was metal Lands and the Garden New Jersey's across the river.
Speaker 6: Very well, do we.
Speaker 3: Just run through that? Very good? Right? Thank you?
Speaker 6: Not even we it was?
Speaker 3: You? Give us another one. You can put Billy on the.
Speaker 6: Spot, lord, oh Billy.
Speaker 8: Who was the only UK freshman to score at least twenty points a national title win?
Speaker 5: Well, we know it wasn't Anthony Davis, he had to stop shooting the ball, just block.
Speaker 6: But a freshman with twenty points?
Speaker 4: Was it one on the twenty twelve ten? Because Deron scored all the points and he's a sophomore.
Speaker 3: A sophomore?
Speaker 5: Yeah, want me to butt in with the guests because the guy the nineties I think it's is it ninety six?
Speaker 3: I'm not positive this person was a freshman.
Speaker 6: We know it wasn't Mills because he wasn't scoring that much any title game?
Speaker 3: Is that a shot at Cameron Mills? Couch Man?
Speaker 8: Hey was Ron Mercer a freshman and Ron Mercer he came off the bench to score to score twenty Look at this?
Speaker 3: Sure it is in fuego. Look at this. I stayed at a holiday and Express last night. Give me one more.
Speaker 8: Uh So UK has played against sixty nine different players and their national title wins. Nice, who is the only one this is currently in the Nate Smith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame.
Speaker 6: M only one guy.
Speaker 4: That's backwards Kansas, they didn't have any Hall of famers. No, Syracuse, No, oh wait, we just said it, Elgin Baylor. Yeah, the help that you gave us this history lesson before I asked.
Speaker 6: For try question. Thank goodness, we did the history lesson.
Speaker 3: That's why I'm here. Would you have gotten that one?
Speaker 11: Billy?
Speaker 3: I've been I've been showing off here, I've been flexed.
Speaker 5: I think Baylor may have came to me after a while because Kansas didn't have anybody neither did what Syracuse?
Speaker 3: Also, how old are you?
Speaker 5: I am turning thirty next month? So a lot of these were pre billion, they're pre drew. But I at least remember ninety six and ninety eight. I don't remember ninety six or ninety eight at all. Tough tough game if you only remember one national championship. When we come back, Corey has a gift, Well, he a gift for me in this bag that keeps moving. He also has a gift from God. He can he can name every championship team. They're gonna put him on the spot since forty eight, since forty eight. Don't you dare ask him about nineteen forty seven. Please comparison, Please don't.
Speaker 4: But I'm gonna make you just run through all of them as fast as you can, and then I'm gonna open this package. But it is Drew here with Billy and Corey. We're having a great time. We're trying to give you the history of Kentucky's championships. It's been Aft Notes version and we're just having to run through them as the show goes on and on. But we appreciate the calls we've gotten so far. We've got a few more on the line, and then we'll get to ninety six, ninety eight, and twenty twelve, and then hopefully.
Speaker 3: We'll have a ninth win on down the road. But we'll be right back after this break.
Speaker 4: As we're talking championships on Championship Monday, I'm not Matt Jones, Drew Franklin. Matt Jones is in Amsterdam. I'm in Lexington with Billy r. Sports and Corey Price coming over Championships. I've definitely overprogrammed because we have six callers and three more championships to go, and a gift in front of me that I finally need open Corey price, I'm going for it.
Speaker 3: What'd you get me? It's a hat? What? What does that? What does the hat say? Though?
Speaker 5: It says written Tuckery Kentucky. You got me a custom rin Tucky.
Speaker 3: If you noticed the drew plus a graphic the hats ring Tucky.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Mario made a graphic before he left for vacation, one of four people that took vacation this week. If I had mentioned that, and it says we're Rentucky on my hat, I think that was an AI issue. So Corey got me a custom rent Tucky hat.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna be rocket. This is a good one. Oh wow, t shirt. It's Lisa.
Speaker 4: It's the Lisa T shirt from Mario's other AI graphic. Man, you're just turning me into a robot taking my job on KSR. I can't photo shop anymore because they've made it too damn easy. Now they write blog posts for you. I don't do that. People shouldn't do that, but they're coming from my job. So now you got me dressed like an AI character.
Speaker 10: Thank you.
Speaker 3: That's very funny.
Speaker 5: Nice reference to Mario's graphic lesson. That's a quick turnaround too. Yeah, I'm impressed the ren Tucky hat and have to get a picture.
Speaker 3: Of all that.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Please, before I get some of these calls, I'm gonna put you on the spot. I mentioned, you know the championship team from every years since forty eight. Don't you dare ask about nineteen? Please stop thinking about forty six. See in your house, we don't know that one. We haven't looked it up yet. Big year for Oklahoma. I was gonna just have you run through it and show off your work, But for time constraints and because I think it'll be more difficult, can we just throw you a random year? Is it one of those things we need to start it? Baseline, Billy, why don't you.
Speaker 3: Throw Corey a year?
Speaker 6: The champion of nineteen sixty three was who Corey Laloya?
Speaker 3: Chicago?
Speaker 5: Oyola Chicago wins an overtime sixty to fifty eight over Cincinnati.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna let our callers get on in this game. Let's run through some of these calls. But with each caller, I want you to throw Cory a year. So Rick, who's up first?
Speaker 3: Derek is up first? Derek, start with a year for Corey and then get to what you want to tell.
Speaker 10: Us, Oh, what a year do you want me?
Speaker 9: Uh? I don't know.
Speaker 10: Let's say seventy eight.
Speaker 3: Th we have that one that would be uh, Kentucky nailed it?
Speaker 6: Wow?
Speaker 3: What else is on your mind? Derek?
Speaker 10: No, I was easy?
Speaker 11: Yeah, you know Drew. Uh.
Speaker 10: You know this kid from Pittsburgh, maybe he's maybe he's exactly what we need. But help deprogram me.
Speaker 11: You know, I'm used to.
Speaker 10: The John Walls, the Brandon Knights, the de Aaron Foxes, Tyler Ewless who was a dog despite its size, Shay Gildess, Alexander kids like now Darren Fox kids like that who could absolutely just take over a game. And now I'm supposed to get excited about a kid to shot twenty six thirty seven percent overall on a as you said, Drew and absolutely got awful Pittsburgh team and he's the savior of UK basketball. I mean, help deprogram me? Or am I just totally wrong that those guys weren't any good? We need a third team all ACC you know down you know, in a down thirteam all SEC or ACC player in a down year in that conference.
Speaker 4: All right, I appreciate the call. I'm with you. I think a lot of Kentucky fans feel this way. We knew when Mark Pope got hired that we need to hit the little of the men in black minded racer and start fresh. It's it's not as fun to get a commitment from a guy that was out of you know, Pittsburgh, that wasn't any good and they're saying, well, he's top five of the portal point guardsman he asked, but he wasn't the number one target. It is different times. It's not getting the five star McDonald's All Americans that we did for many years. But how many times did we win with the five star right McDonald's All Americans. I mean, at the end of the day, we're trying to win banners and as fun as those guys were, and I'm not trying to to, you know, throw shade at the Caliperry era, because I loved it. It was a lot of fun. This is this is what college basketball is now. I mean, Cooper Flagg was special. Cooper Flagg will also be watching on the couch tonight. Walter Clayton came from my ownA. I think he wasn't even like top thirty or forty when he was in the transfer portal. So I know this time of year it's not sexy to look at your roster and you've got a bunch of guys that were other schools you're bringing together. But with Mark Pope, this is how it's gonna be. You're gonna trust his coaching. You know, not to throw more shade at the last era, but in game coaching and player development, Mark Pope has the edge there and we just have to trust that he knows what he's looking for, he knows the fit, and he'll bring it all together just like he did last year. That roster we had last May was not very impressive on paper. We love that they all year they talked about their appreciation of Kentucky. We said it many times. These guys love being here. I think that was a fan favorite for a lot of teams. That's completely different than what it was for Cal for many years, and they still made the Sweet sixteen had a good run. We want better than Sweet sixteen's and we want better than the three hundred and forty fifth guy at the portal, but it just kind of is what it is at this point. We just have to trust in Pope's coaching and finding the right pieces and that'll all come together when they finally play a game next fall. But it is uncomfortable. Some fans I think are overreacting too much. But to be April and you're just seeing this kind of hodgepodge of players that we didn't know much about, as opposed to you.
Speaker 3: Get Dj Wagner. We knew about DJ Wagner since seventh grade.
Speaker 10: You know.
Speaker 4: You get some of these recruits. They've been talked about nashally for years before they even get here. We're learning these guys on the fly, and it doesn't feel the same. Well it's not the same, and it feels different. But we are, like the callers said, having to reprogram how we look at this because this is just how it's gonna be.
Speaker 6: Yeah, change is intimidating. I get it. But you mentioned DJ Wagner.
Speaker 5: He was a highly recruited guy that didn't really work out at Kentucky, So there is not a consensus way of doing things.
Speaker 6: I think Savior is a bit much for the pit point guard.
Speaker 5: But somebody that can I don't know. I don't know if we need to expect savior, Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 10: You know.
Speaker 5: Even Lamont Butler, while he had his moments at San Diego State. I don't think he was looked on as somebody that's going to be a consensus draft pick in the NBA. So I mean he was able to find a role and do great things for Kentucky, and I think the same could happen with this new guy.
Speaker 4: And even bigger than the portal editions retaining players. We never did that the last fifteen years. That's how teams are winning now. A lot of veteran teams were in the Final four, made big runs. As we're looking at portal players and you're worried about this, worried about that. Imagine you just signed otega Oway out of the portal. He'd be very happy, assuming he comes back. And if they don't keep oh Way back, which I haven't heard anything about that, but if I were to be gone, that's a different conversation. We'll be very upset then. But you're bringing back a guy that was second team All SEC. When Pope brought him in as the sixth man from Oklahoma, we didn't expect him to start, and they turned him into all this. He a SEC the freshman. We expect big jumps from Noah Chandler. I think we expect a big jump, Garrison. We hope there's a big jump. It's just so completely different than it was. But it can still be very good and can still work out. So you think the callers right to a degree. We need to be reprogrammed happy. We knew this when Pope got hired. We need to reprogram because it's just gonna be so different in these off seasons. This is the first full one we've had under Pope. That's more of the reprogramming. You're not crazy for being disappointed and how it looks right now, But I don't think it's nearly as bad as some fans, at least on Twitter, think it is, because a lot of this still has to play out. Portals open two more weeks, and no one has a clue how these guys will actually pan out when they get together and play together. We cannot just keep watching a YouTube video and reading a portal ranking and throwing a guy away or lifting a guy up. You really don't know until they get in the system and get together.
Speaker 5: It does feel like the sky is falling every time Kentucky doesn't get one of these top guys. And probably the case that a guy that will be on Kentucky's roster hasn't even entered.
Speaker 4: And we want more like I wanted Yaxl. I mean Yaxll is one of the players that would have really gotten a lot of excitement. Michigan gets him. That stinks. Now, we just got to hope he goes to the NBA so that one looks good. I mean, Pope still needs to get some some bigger fish. But you also just got to trust him when he sees the guy and brings him in, you know he trusts it. And some of these people they contact when says we zoom, we have no idea what they talked about. Pope could have gotten on a zoom. The kids could have said I want twenty shots and two million dollars, and Pope could have said in session, and then it just said the kid goes somewhere else and online the reaction is where we lost him too. We have no idea what's going on behind the scenes with their conference.
Speaker 5: It's a great point because you could go on the zoom and they offer a absurd amount of money or they want an absurd amount of money that's just not going to line up with the values that you want on your roster. So it's just there's a lot of things we don't know, but we're trying to guess.
Speaker 6: But that's what we have to do on Sports Talk Rady.
Speaker 4: And we're Kentucky fans. We're crazy. That's what we overreact. I'm including myself and you two. I mean some of it over the top right now, but overall, this is why we're Kentucky care way too much. Corey nineteen seventy two.
Speaker 3: Nineteen seventy two would be the UCLA Bruins. It's good.
Speaker 4: How about U nineteen sixty one, nine sixty one would be the Cincinnati Bearcats.
Speaker 3: Nineteen sixty two, that would be the Cincinnati Bearcats.
Speaker 6: They went back on pack they did. What about nineteen eighty three Corey.
Speaker 3: Eighty three would be the NC State wolf Pack.
Speaker 6: That's right, Jim Valvano, all right.
Speaker 3: One more nineteen fifty four before would be Lasal. Guy, even know it's Lassal. Yeah.
Speaker 5: What about nineteen thirty ninety first year Corey? And outside of the range that you gave us, actually, do you know this one? This would be Oregon?
Speaker 6: That's correct.
Speaker 4: Man's cooking. Let's knock off another on our history lesson. It's a favorite, my favorite of the bunch.
Speaker 8: Most people would argue one of the greatest teams ever in college basketball history.
Speaker 3: I am most people.
Speaker 6: Yep.
Speaker 8: Thirty four and two record. They had a twenty seven game winning streak before they lost in the SEC Tournament finals to Missippi State. Fellow final fourteen. They were perfect sixteen and zero in the SEC during the season, number two in the final AP poll.
Speaker 3: We know the coach that was number one? What was his name? Col I heard him?
Speaker 8: Leading scorer on that team was Tony delk Uk was number our top two in the country and scoring offense, scoring margin, assists per game, and steals per game.
Speaker 3: Wow, yep, Corey, you're like me. We're the same age. We're gonna hit forty.
Speaker 4: This summer ninety six was the best year in the history of the world, right, I mean not just this title. Ninety six was just the best year ever. We got the Nintendo sixty four. Wait, I just noticed in my notes we forgot one thing before we celebrate ninety six, Mark Pope big bucket in the Medlands game.
Speaker 8: Of course, but that was just the right age. We were ten eleven, these were like superheroes, So that was the right age and plus, I mean they were dominant, so they were fun to watch. The dingdom jerseys were something cool. As a ten year old, e love year old, it was just a great time.
Speaker 4: I had every piece of denim that they would sell, T shirts, jerseys, had the shoes. My room was completely decorated after they won, and like things with the Metals Lands logo had like the metal trash can signs on the wall, the blanket. I still own like twenty pieces of clothing that have the metal Lands logo on it. Billy, you were like one year old, but ninety six was the year. It doesn't get better than ninety six.
Speaker 5: At least for me, and the nostalgia was strong this year, right with Pope coming back and the bus and holding up the trophy. Mark Pope averaged twenty minutes a game on that roster, averaged seven point six points per game, so a contributor, a guy that was was an effort and a captain.
Speaker 4: Late in the game, they were showing his family on TV and the crowd I went and watched it on YouTube. Recently, Pope Pitt knocked out some free throws and his parents were getting some some TV love on the broadcast and when they went home. They probably listened to Because You Loved Me by Selina. I bet they were the bus rolling into rupp Arena. Let's knock out one more call before we go to this brick. I got Joe up next.
Speaker 3: Joe, give us a year for Corey and then whatever you have on your mind.
Speaker 11: Corey, nineteen fifty two, what city held the SEC Tournament?
Speaker 3: Oh, that's a completely different game.
Speaker 8: I would guess Louisville and the Just County Armory, but I'm not sure you're exactly correct.
Speaker 11: We're always proud Corey and Drew when the Cast come to Louisville, and from nineteen forty two to nineteen fifty two, the SEC Tournament was held at Historic Venue in Louisville. So I'm being a proud Littlevillion. I was always happy to tell my Wildcaff friends and don't know that fact that Louisville held the great SEC terms for nineteen forty two nineteen fifty two, and of those ten years of Cast won three championships NCAA championships. That's pretty much it. Y'all will have a great day.
Speaker 3: Thanks appreciate the call. Always good to hear from you. Kansas one in nineteen fifty two as well. By the way, here they beat some team that not named Kansas. Put him on the spot. I didn't say I had knew boat team.
Speaker 6: That's okay, you're great, Journey.
Speaker 3: He's not that much of a genius.
Speaker 6: Just mostly he got the SEC tournament he too.
Speaker 3: That's a good guess.
Speaker 4: Before we go to our break, let me tell you about VOA Mid States. It's part of Volunteers of America. That's VOA for short. Our VOA Mid States branch, which serves Kentucky, Tennessee, West Virginia, and Clark and Floyd Counties in southern Indiana, is our region's largest non profit provider of human services. Volunteers with America Mid States provides quality, family focused services for women seeking addiction recovery at their Freedom House program and offers services for men seeking addiction recovery at their Liberty Place program. Since nineteen ninety three, our treatment therapy and sobriety support programs have helped thousands of women and families across Kentucky recover and rebuild at better than national average rates. If you were someone you love or fighting substance abuse, they're here to help. VOA Mid states. Whoever you are and wherever they serve, they're here to help. Go to voamid dot org to learn more. We'll take a quick break, two more titles. We'll try to get a few more phone calls, and that'll be it for Monday here on KSR, as we start a week with the whole crew, says Drew, Billy and Corey. We'll be right back, welcome back. In final segment of Monday's KSR over programmed, Billy, we gotta go fast. I have like an hour's worth of topics callers in a few minutes. Corey, let's just get right to it. What's our next title? Just give us a few fun facts. Most of us remember these these last.
Speaker 3: Two ninety eight.
Speaker 8: They were thirty five and four end of the season on the thirteen game win streak, a number five in the final EP pole, third of the country in field goal percentage defense. Scott Paget was the only All American. Jeff Sheppard his son was all right? Was he found the four most the same player, six future NBA players, And of course they defeated Utah seventy eight sixty nine in the national title game.
Speaker 3: Eat at Utah.
Speaker 4: Really, I remember that one, and most of us remember that one for beating Duke in the elyit eight to get there, fun game and Billy, just so you can eat it, Cameron Mills, if you're listening, eight points in the championship game, would you like to would you like to tell congratulations? See buddy care.
Speaker 6: That was a big year for Cameron.
Speaker 3: Eight points in twelve minutes.
Speaker 5: Billy saw him hit that shot in the bath Every time I went to the bathroom at the iHeart Building in Lexington, I saw him hit that shot versus Duke.
Speaker 6: So very well aware of Cameron.
Speaker 4: I don't need to know about your thoughts of Cameron Mills in the bathroom, but that was a fun one. In ninety eight, I'll do twenty twelve. I was there in New Orleans, Kentucky beat Kansas, and really all you need to know is that Deron Lamb had twenty two points seven to twelve shooting from the field. Anthony Davis was in the Star. He took the fifth most shots. John Caliperry will tell you that Deron Lamb, my guy, led us to a title. Y'all remember that one? Well, right, where'd you all watch it? I was in New Orleans about as high up in the super Dome as you can get. In fact, on our live blog, I said Deron Lamb for three and someone wrote, Drew, that's Kyle Wiltger, and I'm like, well, ah, I see your aunts down there.
Speaker 3: But I was happy to be in the building. Do you look alike? I was at beat Ubs and Wolvere. Actually, is you burn anything down? I did not bring down Billy Whirred.
Speaker 5: You watch twenty twelve at the house, so nothing eventful there. But I was in the state of Kentucky at that point, so starting to figure out how much college basketball means.
Speaker 4: Awesome state beat those stupid little Cardinals when they're infra red jersey, We'll sell jerseys of all time.
Speaker 8: And the finals, Davis had sixteen rebounds, six blocks, five assists, three steals.
Speaker 3: Statue stuffer.
Speaker 4: Yeah, what did Cooper Flag and Zion Williamson do in their national championship games?
Speaker 5: Exactly zero points? I think put some respect on Anthony Davis. ESPN and Anthony Davis won a gold medal before his NBA career tired. The's damn rankings not putting him first. Corey won More, who won in twenty thirteen.
Speaker 8: Ooh uh, well, if you go by the record book, nobody wanted twenty thirteen.
Speaker 3: That's our Whiskey Thief tweet of the day.
Speaker 4: It's supposed to be a call of the day, but uh, Tyler toon on Twitter X whatever it's called these days, he asked that one. So, uh, that's our Whiskey Thief call slash text of the day. Shout out to Whiskey Thief. Love Whiskey Thief. Go check them out in New lou their new location. Let's knock out some calls quickly. Rick, who's up first?
Speaker 3: Brian is up first, Brian, Thanks for calling it.
Speaker 6: Brian.
Speaker 12: Hey, guys, Yeah, I was actually the guy that took a bit with Pope here in San Antonio.
Speaker 3: Oh, give us the scull. This is a great call, whiskey the call today for you two carry on.
Speaker 12: Yeah, Me and me and my son we were hanging out there in the Convince of Center lobby when he came through and was on the phone. And he was on the phone, so we didn't want to really bother him. We kind of got in his field of view and he saw we were, you know, wearing a UK gear, and he just put his finger grap and said wait just a second, and then he went over and kind of was on the phone for about probably about fifteen minutes, and I could tell he was kind of frustrated, you know, on the call. And then he got off the phone, walked over to us, said you guys want to pick, and we're like, oh yeah. So he as he's taking the pit here, we're getting ready to take the pick. You know, he picks the phone up, makes a call and he says, our boy is out, and then you know, someone said who and he goes, you know, t BB is out, and you know, he was on the phone and I said, I know it's I said, I know it's a busy time for you, coach, but we really appreciate, you know, these few seconds. Then he heads on up the escalator to where the NABC coaches are and so really gracious with his time. I hate that, you know, we got those pick under those circumstances. But that picks kind of.
Speaker 11: Went viral a little bit.
Speaker 12: Someone screenshoted it from the on that bridge, and my son he got some message this morning from Instagram. They're like, no way, I guess a bam. My site had reposted and said you know, we're four and oh against UK this year, so yeah, it's uh.
Speaker 11: Us was it?
Speaker 3: I mean a lot of people have a picture of Pope smiling.
Speaker 12: In the arena, being in arena when Duke choked. Was that's great man? I mean their fans were the shell shot. I mean that's made the entire trip just you know, getting to experience that. So uh, I just wanted to get that in there too, So thank you.
Speaker 4: We appreciate the call. Pretty cool to hear from the person with the famous viral photo.
Speaker 5: And I think you're right. What you're about to get into not a lot of photos of Hope not smiling out there.
Speaker 4: With a story. You know, years from now, lots of people have a smiling photo. You have one to tell.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you'll be able to say that he didn't get this player and still take a photo with us.
Speaker 4: So all right, he Rick's counting me down. My apologies to the people still on hold. I obviously am not great at managing time on this show, but we'll get a lot of calls in tomorrow.
Speaker 3: Thank you for listening today. Thank you to Corey Price for.
Speaker 5: Helping us about those teams we had to rush through those.
Speaker 4: I'll get better at this Tomorrow. Tomorrow I'm at the bar. I'll be there Tuesday, Wednesday, and most likely Thursday. I'll keep you updated on Twitter at Drew Franklin KSR. I have my dear friends Jack Pilgrim and Steven Peake coming in to talk more about basketball. They went to all the road games, pretty much every game. We were in Indie together, Millwalkie together. So tune in tomorrow we'll do more basketball talk, but for now we're shutting down for a twenty two hour break. Thank you for listening. This is Drew, Billy and Corey Price. Have a good Master's Monday.