Speaker 1: What's up, everybody.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to another episode of Bucko Territory, presented to you by the Foul Territory Network.
Speaker 1: I'm Nola Hyle's joining me as always are my co hosts.
Speaker 2: Josh Harrison and Platinum Key aka Mark. We're coming to you on Monday, July thirteenth. It is the All Star Break and your Buckos are headed into the break red hot off of a sweep over the first place Milwaukee Brewers.
Speaker 1: Paul Skens capped off.
Speaker 2: That sweep with his second straight win in as many starts. We're gonna talk about both of those things, and then we will round out the show as always on Mondays with Platinum Keys Key of the Week. Fellas. Like I said, these Buckos, they're.
Speaker 1: Doing it again.
Speaker 2: It feels like this is what they do around the All Star Break. I remember in twenty twenty four they went to Chicago. They swept the White Sox in a four game series to get to five hundred. They kept that momentum going in after the All Show break. There were buyers at the deadline we talked about on the last show. In twenty eighteen, they swept the Milwaukee Brewers in a five game series five wins in four days, and they went to Ohio, but I believe swept the Reds and the Guardians or the Indians at that time. That was part of that infamous eleven game win streak that led to some very big decisions being made that maybe didn't help them in the long run. And that's why Josh isn't smiling while I'm talking about But anyway, overall, we've seen this before and it seems like it's happening again.
Speaker 1: Guys. The Pirates are.
Speaker 2: Heating up at one of the most exciting times to heat up, right in the middle of the summer.
Speaker 1: Mark will start with you. You were at the game Sunday.
Speaker 2: What was the atmosphere like and how is Bucko Nation feeling about it?
Speaker 3: Oh, the vibes in P and C Park were unlike anything I'd really seen since maybe like Paul Skeen's debut, as far as the optimism in the stadium, the belief in this team. Where I mean, it's easy to believe in this team when they're up eleven runs or what have you on the second best team in baseball. Yeah, that's one good game. But they're finishing off a sweep like that and they're doing it in dominating fashion where this offense is just electric. I was just sitting there looking around at all the people in the crowd, like, this is so much fun to watch this team play baseball. And it's because they're good and it's not like they're just fun and like, oh, they have like a cone and they have a mask and that's all fun and like, yeah, they'll hit a couple of home runs. No, this is a legitimate offense. I think they have the second best ops in the league right now, which is ridiculous most runs when we're coming off a year where it was the complete opposite. I mean this, just to put it nicely, like this offense was completely lethargic last year just just sold it almost And the juxaposition from this year to last year is just it's hard not to be encouraged as a Pirates fan at this point in the season. Yeah, this season could have there's so many points where it could have gone better. They could be way more games up over five hundred than where they're at, but they're still over five hundred at the All Star break and looking like they should be buyers at the deadline. No, I saw you tweeted out a slight change of heart today. Where are your thoughts on the scene right now?
Speaker 1: Well, I wrote that column in June about how the.
Speaker 2: Pirates didn't deserve to be serious buyers until they showed, until this current group showed that it could be better than what it was, because they went for a whole month essentially where they were never higher or lower than a game above or below five hundred, And now they're getting past that. They were two games over five hundred earlier this week when Schemes got them a win Tuesday against the Braves, and now they're three games over five hundred for the first time since early June. So they kind of checked the box that I asked them to check. And so that's why my position changed on them, was because I said, you know, like, you need to prove that you're more than average like you've been when when you tread water for two thirds of your front half of the season, then maybe you're just a team that's treading water.
Speaker 1: But they prove that they're not.
Speaker 2: They prove that hey, like, yeah, we treaded water because we've been going through injuries and we have guys going through slumps. But the high the ceiling is higher than probably what I anticipated it. And I'll totally own that they're a team that deserves further investment. And they're not a team that needs a ton of further investment either, if you look at what they need. I mean, they went out and they made a trade, which ironically we didn't even talk about yet. Yeah, and we can kind of break down, I guess somewhere in this show.
Speaker 1: But they went out made a trade.
Speaker 2: They found some depth at shortstop, which we all agreed was the primary focus. They prioritized that over the bullpen. Right the starting pitching has looked a lot better. Aside from one guy, everyone else is throwing the ball better, Bubba Chandler's been better over the last week, Jared Jones coming off of a perfect six innings, Paul Skins, we're gonna talk about him in the show.
Speaker 1: Brax and Ashcot an All Star.
Speaker 2: So their rotation is trending upwards. Their bullpen is still a mess, but like it's maybe not as bad as it has been. And then the lineup man like Valdez and Mangum, the way they've stepped up, Tyler Callahan, the way he stepped up, it's pretty impressive to see the position player depth in this group, and you might not have it in all areas. You don't really have a true third basement. You have a guy who can hit well and he can play third base, but I wouldn't say he's a true third baseman. You don't have a lot of depth at shortstop, but the right side of the infield. All throughout the outfield, you have so many guys who can mash. They have like the problem of not knowing how you're gonna keep Valdez and Mangum in this lineup whenever Cruz and Horowitz return, And that's just something that would have been unfathomable for this organization to imagine. Even going into this year, I think we all thought the offense was gonna be better. I don't think anyone in Major League based, including the Pirates, thought it would be this good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm not thinking they're gonna be this good. Yeah, No one thought they were gonna be this good.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think everyone would have thought their ceiling would have been top third, maybe top five, but the best in baseball. That is unbelievable how good they've been. Josh, I know you have stuff to.
Speaker 4: Add, well, you mentioned Red Hot Bucks Man. They're scorching, especially given where they've been in injuries, things that you've talked about. You look at the body of work throughout the first half of season. Yes there's been a lot of this, but you mentioned they've gone through some injuries. They are missing a lot of key players, and honestly, you say, what happens without Is and Mangam, Win, Horowitz and O'Neill come back. That's honestly a good problem to have. I don't think either one of them being sent to Triple A. But it makes you bench stronger. But it also makes your matchup stronger because at this point the second half of the season, now you got guys coming back, you got guys coming off the All Star break. You're fresh, so you're able to say, okay, this matchup they make sense. But I think Valdaez and Mangham have both done enough that when these guys went down, we talked about guys, we're gonna have to step up next man up. You need guys you know that may not be the prototypical guy to step up. There's gonna be a lot of opportunity for a lot of people, and those guys have seized that opportunity and when Horowitz and O'Neil come back and makes your team that much stronger. And yes, it is kind of sucks a little bit because obviously they're playing time is going to be diminished. But as I said, that's a good problem to have because those guys are playing really well. And if you got those guys coming off the bench or you know, you know, starting a couple of games a week, that makes your team really dangerous. And you mentioned it, Noah's saying that they have to prove, you know, sweeping you know the Brewers this weekend, especially after taking the first one against the Bridge, losing the next two right and then going against you know, the Brewers. We knew what was at hand, and they did it. And as you said, putting the cherry on top today was how they won. You know, it was almost like, Okay, we're just gonna put you out of your misery and y'all can go ahead and get ready to go to All Star Break as well. But I think they've done everything that they needed to, as we mentioned this last week, going into the All Star break to you know, go in there one, get your guys healthy, that finish the All Star break and you're hoping to get guys coming back. So I think that's a good problem to have because that means you can invest a little bit more in other areas that you might have thought you needed to.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I'll just follow up by saying that I think having the good like this great problem to have with Mangum and Valdez. When Howards and Cruise return, it's just gonna make everyone better because they're gonna be able to play to the best, like the best matchups for them. They don't have to get overextended. If you don't want to play ONEO Cruise against lefties, that's fine. You can put Mangum in center field and throw Valdez out, and you know that you're gonna have a lefty masher out there with Valdez. So the flexibility, oh yeah, I mean, if you have your Don Alvarez in the lineup, you leave him in. And that is what the production level that as Relan Valdez has been bringing. I don't know if he's gonna continue to hit like your Don Alvarez. I don't think so. I think there will be a little bit of a but while he's doing this, I mean you can't take him out now, but we'll cross that bridge when.
Speaker 1: We get there.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I mean this is the this is the deepest position position player group they've had in ten years.
Speaker 3: They had one player. It's over one hundred WRC plus last year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, this is this is this is the position player group. It's not the same team because the team I'm going to compare it to had an equally talented, if not better, pitching staff.
Speaker 1: But this, this position player group is as deep as is the fifteen team.
Speaker 2: Like you have multiple guys where it's like, oh, guy gets hurt at third, It's all right.
Speaker 1: We'll plug him in over here, blah blah blah blah blah, and like.
Speaker 2: You just have you have an answer for everything in this lineup right now, especially after the trade, which we're just.
Speaker 1: Going to get into real quick here before we go to a break.
Speaker 2: On Friday evening, the Pirates acquired infielder Jacob Gonzalez and left handed reliever Brandon Isisert from the Chicago White Sox for the number thirty four overall pick, which was actually used on Jim Tomey's son.
Speaker 1: Which I thought was pretty coo.
Speaker 3: White Sox.
Speaker 1: Yeah, by the White Sox.
Speaker 2: They also traded Jayden Woods to the White Sox as well.
Speaker 1: Guys, just your your quick thoughts on this. I'll give mine real fast.
Speaker 2: Like I tweeted this, and like we said in the show, and I said it earlier in uh this segment, shortstop was the priority, that was the immediate need. And this this kid, Gonzalez, you know, he never even started at shortstop before, uh, you know, coming to Pittsburgh. All of his playing times at first base, it's because they have Montgomery, yep at shortstop in Chicago, and you're not going to play him on the Montgomery.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's a beast, But this is a guy I like that. He hits from the left side.
Speaker 2: This is a platoon fit with Triolo at short probably a platoon fit with Gonzalez.
Speaker 1: If Nick's bat ever cools down.
Speaker 2: Like I like that, I would have liked to train a lot more if it was a right handed reliever. You look under the hood is cert stuff is better than probably what his numbers indicate.
Speaker 1: But I don't think he's like a massive fixed to anything they have.
Speaker 3: What do you guys think, Yeah, I'll go ahead, draft.
Speaker 2: You go first.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'll be quick I was just gonna say, definitely address the depth or short stuff. I think that was number one, just because it's like you can't wait around too long. That's an important position. And as you mentioned left handed batter, I think he'll be nice to compliment with. As you said Gonzales Triolo, you also got Callahan that's in there too, so it's just another guy that you know. And you mentioned he played first or which is down, so that's a guy that has shown he can play first. So his versatility is as another guy that you mentioned that could be plugged in some other places and left handed reliever. Don't really know much about him, but I agree with you would have been looking for writing. But at the same time, you know relievers, Hey, you'll take what you can get. If he proves to be value performing against them outs, I'm sure they're not going to be upset about it.
Speaker 3: I was a little underwhelmed by the trade. I thought they left a little bit of meata on the bone. But going back and looking at what these like comp picks are, like the return for them, it doesn't seem like it's too far off. They just aren't really valued in baseball like you see like picks and other leagues get these, you know, like diamond hands around them where they get super valuable. Not the case with mob. Jacob Gonzalez can just play all over the infield. He's showed a lot of power in Triple A. Although the Chicago White Sox, their Triple A ballpark, I guess is pretty pretty hit or friendly, so those yeah, so those stats are slightly skewed, but I mean overall it was it's infield depth, which is what we wanted, and more bullpen depth. And you know, maybe Jacob Gonzalez, I don't know too much about him. Maybe he's just a guy that was blocked by Colsa Montgomery. We saw that with Spencer Horowitz. You know, he was blocked by Vladimir Guerrero Junior. Maybe we're you know, skimming off where other teams have surplus that we can get some extra added value from a guy who may not have the name recognition.
Speaker 2: You know, Gonzalez kind of gives me the rep like it seems like somebody in between a Callahan and a Spencer Horowitz, Like Callahan was a guy who probably, like I think that was a really good acquisition considering what they gave up for Callahan, and I was skeptical on that, but like, there are some overlying traits here and he's just a better defender. And then yeah, like the Horowitz element of it, it's like this was a talented minor leaguer who was blocked by an elite player at his primary position. So yeah, and then just on the value to wrap this up, they weren't gonna get crazy value for this because it was abundantly they were desperate.
Speaker 1: To trade this PI.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, they had no leverage and when you're going and that's that, I'm not folding the pirates for that.
Speaker 1: Like they had they they had.
Speaker 2: To make this move, and so they had to do like you got to go into it knowing you're probably not gonna walk away with dollar for dollar equivalent value here.
Speaker 1: You're gonna probably walk away with a little bit of an underwhelming return.
Speaker 2: And you know, I don't think it's an amazing return, but I don't know how much better they probably could have got because it, like you guys pointed out, it addresses a paragon.
Speaker 1: So we're gonna take a quick break. When we come back, we're gonna talk about that guy.
Speaker 2: Paul Schemes, who we never talked about on this show here on Go Territory.
Speaker 5: Many people have this problem. I want to eat healthy. I have the willpower, I don't have the time and the organization. I need help. What do you do?
Speaker 4: I mean you go to Factor. I got two boys that are looking for the gains and they always come in the house.
Speaker 2: Was I'm looking for food.
Speaker 6: Now they have actual healthy food that is great for and you know what, It's ready in the fridge for them to pop in and make.
Speaker 2: It right away.
Speaker 5: And they have meals built around your goals. It could be weight loss, overall, nutrition gains, more protein, fresh never frozen, over one hundred rotating weekly meals, including globally inspired flavors like Mediterranean and Asian. I get all kinds of different salads from Factor that I love, quick easy. They can be ready in two minutes. Head to Factor Meals dot com. Slash foul fifty off and use code ful FIFTYFF to get fifty percent off and free daily greens per box with new subscription only, while supplies last until nine twenty seven, twenty twenty six.
Speaker 2: All Right, guys, Last Week Written in the Pittsburgh Post Gazette Byeline Noah Hayles said, this is the biggest week of Paul Skein's major league career. He had two starts remaining. He needed to win both of those starts. That was what I said on this show. That's what I said in the newspaper. Put in an ink, as they say, I don't know if he's a subscriber to local journalism in Pittsburgh.
Speaker 1: I hope he is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he can afford it. And if not, you know, maybe his girlfriend I was might know someone. Yeah, yeah, but no, Paul Skins answered the bell and props to him. And I'm not sitting here obviously. I'm not sitting here and being like.
Speaker 1: Oh, he's stupped up to my challenge. That's not what Paul needed to be great this week.
Speaker 2: They had six games at home against two first place teams. They needed to win at least three of them. They won four.
Speaker 1: He won half. He was responsible for half those wins.
Speaker 2: Granted, they scored a combined six runs his two starts.
Speaker 1: So like if he.
Speaker 3: Didn't win a lot of lost time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, he received a ten run inning on Sunday and then one guy drove in ten runs by himself on Tuesday, So like again, but Paul Skeins. This is the best back to back starts he's made probably in a month.
Speaker 1: And he's not all the way back, I don't think.
Speaker 2: But this was such a necessary step forward because Paul Skins is gonna have to take the reins here and put this team on his back in the second half. And you feel a little better about his chances of doing that after the way you've seen him pitch this past week.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think the one thing he needs to really improve on is just continue to go deep and ye give this bullpen as much rest as possible when he is stepping on the mound every five days, because the more benefit or the more rests that he can provide this bullpen, and he is the starter who I think has that the biggest potential to go as deep in the games as possible. He's got to be that ace and step up and say I'm going to go six, but hopefully even seven. And we've seen him do that in the past, we just really haven't seen it as much this year. And so that's where I'm looking post All Star break. Skins is skinting the wins now. He put the losing street behind him, putting his team in position to win. Now, put your bullpen in a position to continue to provide wins after you're not starting, so the next day, in the next day, put your team in a position to succeed. And that's the impact I'm looking for him from after the UL Star break.
Speaker 4: What about you, Josh, Yeah, obviously, you know you look forward to the offense doing what they did every night, regardless who's on the mound. That'll help all the pitchers. But as you mentioned, his back to back starts probably his best back to back starts in a while. And as you mentioned though, it still left a lot out there that you know, you think you could improve on. But you also take a step back to say, two first place teams, you know, so it's not like these back to back wins were against And I don't want to call anybody a cupcake because it's a major league team. You know, it's a team full of major league players, so regardless who you're facing, but you in back to back first place teams, I think that's enough of a statement to say, you know, let's get ready to correct this thing, because you know, when you're facing teams like that, you gotta be on it. And as I said, it helped that the offense was on it as well. But that's just for some of the starts that you know, things didn't go his way defensively or you know, they might not have gone offensively. Sometimes you need a little help from the whole team to get not only yourself off the slide. But I'm sure everybody else knew. Man we've lost so many if his starts in a row. Everybody knows that, especially when you're dealing with a guy like Paul Schemes, those numbers aren't gonna go unknown because you know, most part people like that's an automatic win until it wasn't. So I think just the way he handled it not necessarily answer No, it's you know, challenge. But you know that's just part of him being a competitor. Know. I know he knew that he had two starts lined up before All Star break. He's like, you know what, give you know, give my guys a chance. And I think he did everything he was supposed to to get him headed right back, you know, headed towards the right direction of cleaning up the things that he needs to clean up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, you just look at it, Like I said before, Paul Skeins needs to be the best player on this team and the remainder of July, all throughout August, all throughout September, and if they get the privilege to play in October that time too.
Speaker 1: He needs to do it. And and the reality is his struggles him.
Speaker 2: Not pitching deep into games should give him the availability to have just the longest leash possible. If he's able to give you eight every night from here until the end of the year, there shouldn't be a worry about that because his pitch count and his total maybe nice pitch count, but his total of endings for sure is probably not as high as they anticipated it being.
Speaker 1: So I mean, maybe a giant woke up this weekend. And if they did, if this, if.
Speaker 2: If you're gonna see Skemes turn into twenty twenty five cy Young Skimes in the second half, paired with this offense, that's gonna be a problem for the National even with the bullpen being what it is. You're not gonna beat this team very often with him at his best with this run support.
Speaker 1: You're just not so. And yeah, it.
Speaker 2: Starts with him, and they have an opportunity with him starting Sunday. They don't play again until Friday. He can you can line up the rotation where he's gonna get the most starts for the second half of the y. So they are in a pretty good spot when it comes to uh, mister Skeens.
Speaker 1: So we're gonna take another quick break when we come back.
Speaker 2: We will round out today's show with Mark's Platinum Key of the Week here on Bucko Territory.
Speaker 3: Bucco Territory is brought to you by FanDuel Baseball Fans. The MLB season is in full swing and FanDuel is giving you a chance to call your shot with the aidingers. Joining the action is easy. Just make your free pick on who's hitting a home run in their game, and if you're right, you'll get a profit boost to use on your next bet for a chance at extra winnings. It's just another reason why fanjiel is the home of home runs. So, guys, it's the All Star break. The only home runs I'm thinking about are in the home run Derby. So who you guys think is gonna win the home run Derberty this year?
Speaker 1: I'll go first, Okay, go ahead, Josh, Nope, Nope, go ahead, Josh.
Speaker 4: It's in Philly, Citizens Bank Park, it's gonna be hard to go against Schwarber. And I don't know who's throwing to them, but if Klon the hitting coach throwing to him, I'm gonna go ahead and go Schwarbers for the for the home run derby champion Citizens Bank go ahead.
Speaker 2: No, yeah, you know, I was gonna say Murakami. I'm looking at the odds right now. Schwarber's the favorite. He's plus three forty. I know who Mark's gonna say. And if we would have said, if I would have said Murakami would have picked the top three odds guys. So I'm gonna instead, I'm gonna go with another Philly. I'm gonna go Bryce Harper plus eight hundred. He's won the event before, but it elite. See yeah, right, but yeah, his dad, his dad's pitch. I mean, I would assume his dad's gonna pitch to him again because his dad was pitching.
Speaker 1: To him when he won.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I'll go with another Philly. I'll go Bryce Harper plus eight hundred. I like the value there, even though I'm not allowed to gamble on baseball. If I were were to take Bryce Harper plus eight hundred, Mark, what do.
Speaker 3: You got Oh, I think we're gonna see the emergence of a new superstar here, Junior Cameron Narrow about to make his way onto the national stage. More people need to know about him. We're talking pre show and Noah said he's the most underrated player in MLB right now, and I completely concur So, Yeah, I'm gonna go Junior Camon Narrow. So are you ready to play your game? Head on over to fanguel dot com slash podcast to get started. That's fangul dot com slash podcast. To opt in for daily dingers and make your free pick on who's hitting a homer, playball and swing for the fences on FanDuel, an official partner of Major League Baseball.
Speaker 6: No purchase necessary, opt in required, bonus issued, does non withdrawable profit boost tokens. Restrictions apply, including any token expiration and max wager amount. See terms at sportsbook dot FanDuel dot com. Gambling problem caller text one eight hundred gambler.
Speaker 3: All right now for the best graphic in all of podcasting, the best transition My Key of the week. All right, this week's Key of the Week another former Key of the Week, but he's gonna get some more shine because he just continues to mash. Who else could it be? It's the magician s Marilyn Valdez. Just I mentioned it just earlier. He has this higher WRT plus right now, and Jordan Alvarez just the highest and MLB with one hundred at bats, just absolutely clutch hitting this whole series. I'm scrolling down to this OPTA stats here where he just continually tied the game, just brought up clutch hit after clutch hit, the go ahead grand slam. Just this kid's so much fun. And that's my favorite part as a fan is not only is he really really good and mashing the baseball, but he's so easy to root for, and it's just so awesome to see that the one guy on this team that is really taking a big step forward is the guy that the Pirates developed themselves, that came up through this international development program, that is showing power. That the Pirates actually developed a power bat. I don't really recall them doing a lot of that since maybe like a guy like Andrew McCutchen or something even yeah Josh Bell, yeah yeah, but just a guy that has come up through the system looks great as a twenty two year old, We're gonna have to find a way to get him in this lineup. Makes the decision with Marcelo Zuna really easy whenever they need to make that call. And yeah, I just I am so so happy that as Marilyn Valdez is on this team, mashing and just been a great, great addition to this roster this year. Well, where you got thoughts on as Marillian I know, Josh, you've talked about him a few times here. Well you see it, like, do you think this is something he can sustain? Where you see him like settling out.
Speaker 4: I don't want to say that it's something he can't sustain because obviously he's got over one hundred bats, so he's been swinging it really well. Obviously these numbers are something that people are going to keep an eye on because there are some numbers.
Speaker 2: It's like, man, but.
Speaker 4: He's not getting cheap hits. So for me, I'm like, he's making contact on pitch is in a little bit of what I've seen is he's starting to work a little bit more walks too. But I mean I see him coming in, I see him coming in doing his little one thing. Man, it's it's kind of infectious because you see the whole team kind of goes crazy when he does it, and I can imagine the whole you know, the whole dugout, the whole crowd, especially this past weekend. But you know, as you mentioned, is very rare, and I own stay very rare. But you know, there haven't been many times that the Pirates have had, you know, power batch to get excited about. You know, you both mentioned you know, Josh Bell, Andrew mccutchy, you know, my boy Page Robarez is another one. You know, just some names that you know, it's not that many is exciting to see, especially you know at the ballpark that isn't considered hit or friendly. It doesn't matter where he's at. He's making these ballparks look small, and you know, it's exciting to see because, as we've mentioned earlier in the show, he's just taking advantage of an opportunity that you know might have come a little sooner than people may have, you know, thought, But that's the game of baseball, is being ready when your opportunity comes. And uh, he's been exciting to watch and I hope he keeps it up. I'm rooting for him.
Speaker 5: To keep it up.
Speaker 4: It's gonna be hard to but he's probably not gonna pitch him as much. But you know that's part of the game. The adjustment are going to see it is he gonna chang Chase more. But you know, as far as what he's done for this early part has been very impressive.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just some quick thoughts.
Speaker 2: I mean, the names that we just mentioned, Cutch, JB, Pedro, I mean, all those guys debuted more than a decade ago.
Speaker 1: So it's been a long time.
Speaker 2: And also to note on those guys, all three of those guys, JB might have been a second round pick or a comp pick, but Pedro was like second over all.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and Cutch was top ten.
Speaker 3: So yeah, this guy wasn't he got one hundred and thirty thousand dollars signing bonuts. He wasn't even like top ten or fifteen in that international signing class.
Speaker 2: He was. He was a lottery ticket guy. There's hundreds of those guys in every word, and this is a huge win. He was someone I mean, at this time last year, I was interviewing him at the Futures Game and he had an Altuna curve had on and he wasn't even remarkably productive in Altuna last year.
Speaker 1: Hell, I mean, his numbers in Triple A aren't nearly as good as how good he's been in the major leagues.
Speaker 2: And like I've been, I feel like it could if you go back and look at my analysis on Valdez on this show, I could come back come off as a hater just because I've been skeptical in the sense where it's like this guy has never been a high rated prospect. This guy, I mean, yeah, he mashed in Greensborough, so's everybody else, and like he's been fine in these other levels.
Speaker 1: But like I kind of expected him to be like another.
Speaker 2: Tyler Callahan or just like you know, a platoon guy, a bench guy, someone who maybe he could start for each.
Speaker 1: He's like a guy where it's like you gotta have him in the lineup. But that's what he is right now.
Speaker 2: And to go up what Josh said here to round out my point, there's nothing that gives a spark to a major league baseball team more than a productive young player.
Speaker 1: When you bring that youthful energy. I mean, sure you can go and you can acquire a.
Speaker 2: Superstar, and there's there's definitely a pop to the energy there, because when you get somebody who's established, but when a young kid comes up and they asked, they needed him, they needed him to be God. Absolutely, He's coming into a lineup where four of your everyday players, you're starting short stuff, you're starting centerfielder, you're starting first baseman, who is your leadoff hitter, and you're starting catcher.
Speaker 1: All four of those guys go down, you need someone to step up.
Speaker 2: And Mangum you can expect Mangham to step up because he hit three hundred in the major leagues last year. Valdez many they needed this and then some And when you get a young guy.
Speaker 1: Who can bring that energy who no one expected.
Speaker 2: No Ryan O'Hearn and Brandon Lowe when they arrived and they were looking around the clubhouse and who's gonna help us get to talk to Valdez probably wasn't the first guy on their mind. And when a guy like that can step up and be as good as he's been, that brings life to a team in a very crucial point of the season. And so that is invaluable what he's been. He has been so huge, he's been their most valuable players of the month. A long shot because of how good he been and what he was supposed to be.
Speaker 4: I love it.
Speaker 2: Yes, you know it's also good is when you hit that subscribe button. Yeah, as Merlin Valdes, he's on a mission of three thousand career home runs.
Speaker 1: We're on a mission of three thousand subs.
Speaker 2: Three thousand career home runs has a bit ambitious, but three thousand subs isn't and we need your health to get there.
Speaker 1: Also, check out our bucket Bucco.
Speaker 2: Territory Team store where soon enough it will be as Merlin Valdes.
Speaker 1: On that jumbo tron graphic.
Speaker 2: Yes, pet your percussion and you can wear your Bucco Territory gear to the ballpart to support them.
Speaker 1: Guys, any final thoughts before we wrap it up.
Speaker 3: I just got one quick one shout out to all the fans at PNC Park this weekend. The place was absolutely rocking. Just so much fun to be there, and just I love that atmosphere that you can feel the confidence starting to grow. So keep showing up, keep getting loud, keep taking your shirts off in the tarp section, whatever you do to have fun. It was a great day at the ballpark. So if you haven't yet make sure you go out and cheer on these twenty twenty six Pirates at PNC Park because this scene is very different.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I just we'll say, from the past couple of weeks, I've been family traveling and stuff, but bits and pieces here and there. They finished strong. It's been exciting to watch these last couple of weeks from AFAR. Enjoyed us All Star break and get back to it and continue to bring that energy you know, to.
Speaker 5: P and C.
Speaker 3: And we'll be here throughout the whole All Star Break with our normal schedule as well, so three shows this week as well.
Speaker 1: Yes, my final thoughts are growing up in Pittsburgh.
Speaker 2: The barometer for the Pirates was always could they be interesting? By the time the Steelers reported the training camp, I'm now the league calmnist at the Post Gazette. I'm responsible for covering all three teams. I'm looking at my work calendar here. The Steelers first day camp is July twenty eighth. The Pirates will be the main talk of the town on July twenty eighth.
Speaker 1: They have checked that box.
Speaker 2: They are a legitimately interesting team that I'm very much looking forward to continue to cover as we get down the final stretch here and we'll.
Speaker 1: Have you all covered here.
Speaker 2: I'm Bucco Territory for Josh Harrison and Platinum Key no Ohio, signing off saying thanks for tuning in to another episode of this show, which was presented to you by the Foul Territory Network.
Speaker 1: Take care,