Speaker 1: So Sabrina, I never addressed stuff like this, but it made me laugh, so I had to. I am a person who does not do social media. I don't follow like I'm not on social media. I don't like social media. I find it to be a bit of a sess pool. But occasionally I'll go on my Finsta and I looked at the comments for what I said about Double Teamed.
Speaker 2: Oh I knew it.
Speaker 1: It's so funny. So here's the thing I wanted to say, because people forget this. This is one of the reasons I love doing this podcast with you is because you have some nostalgia attached to some of these I have none, literally nothing. I cannot watch these as a teen. I do not get the feels. I just watch them as movies. So I was thinking about Double Teamed as a movie, which, again absolutely stand by what I said. Not a good movie. I will double double Teamed down on that, thank you very much. Not a good movie. But I get where people are coming from because I think of movies that I loved as a kid, like Rad BMX Bandits Breakin'. These are actually films, right that are hugely important to me because they're awesome.
Speaker 2: To me yes.
Speaker 1: But the thing people need to remember without having any nostalgia is we are trying to find the gems in the d coms, because you also have movies that have nostalgia attached but that are great, Like I go back to Karate Kid. Yeah, great movie, ton of nostalgia.
Speaker 2: And stand the test of time. Yeah, things that really actually are still super I mean not saying that Double Teams, not because I think it's actually really amazing what's happening in the WNBA right now. So sure messaging is there, but yeah, some of the things just especially again, what you have to remember is not everyone that's watching or looking at our Instagram is actually going back and rewatching every single one of the movies like we are, right, So we're also kind of comparing the gems to the the missing the marks, the exactly the ones that almost hit it, or the ones that you know what I mean, and we're watching them even side by side other sports related movies, you know, girl girl brand movies, you know, things like that. It's like we're kind of it's it's different for us because we're really diving into every single one versus I'm sure the fans are kind of nitpicking which ones they feel like watch, like re listening to because they were their favorites.
Speaker 1: Exactly. That's what I'm saying. And it's also they have to remember I'm almost a fifty year old man who has never seen these movies. Yes, so I am just watching them as movies. That being said, to all the people who who were upset about what I said about Double Team, I will say this, that movie sucked.
Speaker 2: You know what I'll say too, though, Have them have their kids watch it and see what their kids think, because, let me tell you, one of my very good friends, very good friends, goes. I'm so excited I'm introducing Zoe to the Cheetah Girls todight right. And I didn't get the message until later, and I would have said, do not do the first movie.
Speaker 1: But you have to start at the first one.
Speaker 2: I know, I know. But the nostalgia that happens instantly gets zapped by a little kid who goes and this is exactly what little Zozo and I love my Zozo. Zozo said about my first movie was, oh mom, it looks so old, like how long ago was this? Because it's like grainy and it wasn't.
Speaker 1: It's the old time project. No, no, no, no, no no.
Speaker 2: It's the same thing, like when you're not all the generation and you see these things totally different. I mean, this is like a little kid. I was like, ouch, yeah, I know that true.
Speaker 1: No. So everybody out there who's following us on this journey, I get it. I get that these movies hugely matter to you. And it's like, why are you ripping apart Double Team? Because I'm just watching as a movie. The same way anybody who did not grow up watching Red or break In or BMX Banits, they'd watch it and they go, this movie sucks, and I'd be like, are you kidding? This is the best movie ever. But at the end of the day, they do kind of suck, but I still like them. You can still like a movie that's not Yes, I have no nostalgia attached, is all I'm saying.
Speaker 2: If we weren't breaking it down, what the hell would this podcast exactly?
Speaker 1: It would just be us going like, Wow, Double Teamed, awesome movie.
Speaker 2: Great and their blonde yeah play basketball.
Speaker 1: Year old actors playing twelve year olds and with lines like how do you tell them apart? When they were clearly different people? Not great to do it, but I knew.
Speaker 2: I knew. That's why I funniest thing I see that we started the podcast. I'm like, this one's gonna We're gonna get it. We are gonna get those knives thrown.
Speaker 1: From now on. By the way, I'm going to refer to that to get to people bashing us for us breaking it down a movie as getting brinked, because that was the first time it happened to me when I did not realize what I was waiting into by going, you know, this isn't a great movie, and all it came.
Speaker 2: I know it as safe thing. As you were saying every word of it. I was like, oh man, you're gonna get it. All the breakers are gonna come for Will the brink the brinkheads.
Speaker 1: I am fine with that. By the way, I stand by everything I said. Love what you gotta love, but understand that not everyone's gonna and my job, literally, my job is to break down these movies with my humble opinion, which is all that I have, and in my humble opinion, which is absolute, one hundred percent correct, Double Team was not a good movie. Welcome back to Magical Rewind the show that makes you want to grab your friends your pgs and your popcorn and go back to a time when all the houses are smart. The Wave, Tsunamis and the Doubles teamed I'm Wilfordell.
Speaker 2: And I'm Sabrina Bryan.
Speaker 1: This week on Magical Rewind, We're leaving the Big d City behind and we're traveling in New Mexico via Utah to learn some Navajo traditions, or at least Disney's version of it. It's two thousand and five's American Western Buffalo Dreams. Now. This movie debuted on the channel on March eleven, two thousand and five, celebrating its twentieth anniversary. Right now, and as I alluded to, the movie is supposed to be taking place in New Mexico, but is actually filmed in the dcom capital of the USA, Utah, with several scenes shot on Antelope Island. Now here's the interesting thing. IMDb actually says that this movie, based on its awareness and search history, is one of the three least remembered d coms of all time. Not sure exactly why that would be the case, but at the time of its release, it did receive criticism for its portrayal of the Navajo people and their culture, which many from within found to be offensive and worse than offensive, in my opinion, horribly inaccurate. Some examples of mistakes they made, and the first one is a big one. The film shows Navajo's interacting with buffalo. It's like the title of the movie and basically the entire plot, but those animals are not part of their culture or mythology, as Navajos are considered nomadic people, not plains people, So big whoops. There. There were also issues with the portrayal of Navajo ceremonies, language and the use of quote unquote Indian names for non Navajo characters, and all of this could have been helped by probably having more Native American cast and crew on the set, you think, But that's really only something that luckily has been adapted by Hollywood over the past few years. So this one might not be as historically accurate as anyone wanted to be, and for many reasons, it is difficult to research in twenty twenty five. So yeah, we're going to do our best with this one. Our producers still do the deep dive and do an amazing job, and we got a lot on it, but this was a hard one to do. Some research for and so maybe that makes this next part very predictable. But Sarena, did you know about Buffalo Dreams before we were watching it on our lovely podcast?
Speaker 2: I didn't. I was just excited. I was like, oh, this is gonna be such a good movie with these two actors that I know for sure are in it. Oh my gosh, so excited. That's where it started and ended for me.
Speaker 1: I am in the same starting an ending point as you hadn't heard of it, knew the cast was good, and that was about it. Yeah, all right, let's start our journey together with the synopsis. A city boy moves to New Mexico and struggles to fit in with the local Native American community, But when he befriends a young Navajo local and his grandfather, he learns a valuable lesson about respect, tradition, and belonging and as always, well not as always, but this time thankfully. You can watch Buffalo Dreams on Disney Plus. It's available to stream right now. So don't fumble this one like you fumbled Scarlett Gruenberg back in the fourth grade. That was embarrassing. Sabrino, what were your early thoughts, your thoughts together? What did you think of Buffalo Dreams?
Speaker 2: Well, I instantly collocked utah, but was excited that we were getting to a different part of you.
Speaker 1: Don Yes, we're not in.
Speaker 2: Yes, And I will tell you something that is really funny, and I even text message Keeley about it. One of the first voices we hear is over the radio, and I'm like, atrians in this movie? What I hear it? I mean, I can't. There's no way to mistake her voice for me. So I instantly am like looking up you know, I don't look up anything. I watch it just as is, and then I look at the stuff that we're given to and also do some other like little questions that I have. And I was like, oh my gosh. I text used to Kelly, and Keelly's like I didn't know that either, Like you guys live together, she goes sometimes she lived in LA when I was still in school, so maybe that's what it was.
Speaker 1: Okay, she had the cool radio voice too, she did.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's I mean, she grew up loving radio in New York City, so she'd exactly. I mean, I bet you anything if you asked her. She probably definitely tried out her own radio voice over and over again in her room, like that's how she is. I love it, and it worked amazingly in this movie, and it did. That was my earliest thought, and I was just like, that's what I was doing for the first ten minutes. It's texting Keeley, looking it up, doing all that while I'm still trying to, you know, like focus in on the movie.
Speaker 1: But did you like the movie I was starting.
Speaker 2: I mean from the beginning, I was excited. I love getting into this culture, and you know, I'm very like I love learning as much as I can about it. But you know, there were things where I'm like, I don't know if that's super correct, and being a big Yellowstone person. They are they look like they do so much research. And again, oh.
Speaker 1: Yellowstone the show, I thought you meant the actual life.
Speaker 2: No Yellowstone the Show, and it's like you can tell the difference. And for me, I thought it was a little shocking, because I feel like Disney does a really good job of looking into things and really making sure that they're yeah, you would see one point. But yeah, there was a couple things like right from the beginning where I was like, ooh, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Hm, yeah, well, yeah, for me, Disney is, first of all, are very good at bringing cultures that maybe kids won't be exposed to too kids around the world. That's something they've always been great at. But apparently in this one they just didn't do that great a job with the actual research. So you want them to bring the actual culture as opposed to just the Disney version of the culture.
Speaker 2: And the Buffalo struck out at me really quickly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I mean it's the point of the whole movie, and that turns out I have nothing to do with the Navajo tribe at all.
Speaker 2: I was expecting buffalo, but I wasn't expecting the nava Ho trick.
Speaker 1: You.
Speaker 2: I just really was like, whoa, oh, okay, yeah buffalo.
Speaker 1: So this, to me is also the definition of just this movie was was okay. I mean it was. This was not an outstanding movie. This was not a terrible movie. This was just this is okay. There's certain members of the cast that stood out to me that I just thought were great. But yes, it's yeah, this is this is an okay movie. Like I finished it and I was like, okay, watch the movie. It wasn't like, oh my god, this is There's a couple of times I was yelling at the screen, and I heard my wife in the other room going like, what are you doing. I'm like, I'm yelling at the screen. And we'll get into that. We have a new name popping in as director for this week's film. It's David Jackson. David is a very seasoned veteran in the business. His first job was on the iconic show Miami Vice.
Speaker 3: Ugh.
Speaker 1: I dressed like Don Johnson until I was twelve in nineteen eighty six. I did it was the white on white or blue on blue with just a T shirt unerneath and then rolling up the sleeves of the jacket. I looked bad, as the kids would say. Fire. He directed other shows like twenty one Jump Street, Great Show, Swamp Thing, Great Show, Nash Bridges, One Tree Hill, and TV movies like The Jesse Venturer Story, which is just about a gruff guy, and his only other dcom Return to Halloween Town. He is still working on TV movies like The Last Christmas Home, The Cheerleader Murders, and Cup of Love. This movie stars Riley McClendon as Josh. Riley began his career on shows like Will and Grace, Touched by an Angel, and Er, but was also seen in movies like Disney's The Kid, Pearl Harbor and another dcom Eddie's Million Dollar Cookoff The Instant he popped on screen. I knew him from a really well known Law and Order SVU episode where he plays twins twin boy and girls. And he was great and producer Lisa is just writing, Yes, and he a twin girl and a twin boy, and they were supposed to be twin boys. And they screwed up his circumcision as a child, so they cut off the remaining part and tried to raise him as a girl. It was a crazy story. It's a great SVU I forget what I think it might even be called twins, but that's sorry off on an SVU tangent. He was last on TV a few years back from NCIS Los Angeles Two Days of Our Lives. Simon Baker is Thomas Blackhorse. Simon born in Vancouver, Canada, has been seeing in movies like Smoke Signals, Shanghai, Noon, Now and Forever, and I Robot. He also recently hosted a show called Native Planet, where he travels around the globe to discover the unique relationship Native Americans have with the environment by visiting native communities fighting to preserve their surroundings and way of life. Sounds like a cool show. And he just jumped off the screen to me, this dude is a star. He really did. He just was awesome. And then we got my friend George Newbern. He is doctor Nick Townsend, Josh's dad. George is best known for some classics adventures in babysitting, Father of the Bride, Scandal, and one not so classic dcom Dad Napped, our favorite no notice. Nobody came after me for Bash and Dad Nac. I mean, come on. He's been in just about everything and as a prolific voice actor as well, most notably as my Man Superman in much of the modern DC animated projects. He and I have worked together many times. He is as nice as you would expect him to be. Jane Sibbett is Blaine Towns in Josh's Mom. She is most recognizable from Friends, where she played Carol on fifteen episodes of arguably the most popular sitcom ever.
Speaker 2: She's only in fifty I know.
Speaker 1: Can you believe that? I would always say it? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Possible?
Speaker 1: Cheers is in that conversation, Mashes in that conversation, and I would also say Seinfeld is in the conversation. I'm sorry, I had to get the other ones in there. She also starred in a great show we've talked about before, Herman's Head, and appeared on Cheers, Quantum Leap, and The Nanny Love That List. Some great veteran actors as the parents in this one, and they both killed it too. Which, then, speaking of veteran actors, brings us to Graham Green as John Blackhorse, a well known Native American character actor. Graham was in movies like The Green Mile, Wind River, Dances with Wolves, North, Maverick, and Molly's Game. This guy always works. He's still working to this day. He is phenomenal and we have I'm gonna say friend of the show because fellow member of the Cheetah Girls, can you can you go ahead and tell me who this is? Please? Adrian Ballone, that's right as DJ Domino. What a great name. I gotta put that on our list. DJ Domino is just one of the cooler names we've had. Adrian was a former member of the Girl R and B Group three LW as we all know, then was cast as Chanelle in The Cheetah Girls franchise. She also appeared on That So Raven, the movie Coach Carter, and most recently The Masked Singer, which apparently is not what I thought it was. I thought it was just one person in a mask singing all the songs, but I guess they switched them up. This movie is eight four it people eighty nine minutes. Oh one extra shot of Buffalo's walking, and we could have hit the target. But hey, it's only one away and it's on the right side of the pendulum, so we'll give it a big thumbs up anyway. Marjorie schwartz Nielsen wrote the movie. She wrote the nineteen ninety one film The Butcher's Wife starring Demi Moore and Jeff Daniels. Then Buffalo Dreams, and that was it, So not a ton of the resume there, adding to the mystique that is Buffalo Dreams. Okay, why don't we jump off this cliff into the river. It's time to Buffalo dream. The movie starts on the open road. Teenage Josh Townsend is sleeping on a long drive, passing stampeding Buffalo, finally awoken by a passing horn. He's with his mom and dad, Doctor Nick and Blaine and checks his flip phone. I love them. They're moving somewhere that's even beyond cell service. They do get a local radio station, however, and as Sabrina was saying, there's breaking news, it's her friend on the radio. There are seven newborn calves on the Deneta Buffalo Preserves. I'm also apologizing to everybody for the undoubted butchering of the Navajo words that I'm going to be saying. I truly apologize. I just don't know how they're pronounced right, and I don't have the movie in front of me right now. Josh can't believe this is where he lives.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: It's New Mexico. It's Utah, It's Utah. The family finally makes a stop at a Native American trading post and are greeted by a local, John Blackhorse, whose granddaughter signs there goes the neighborhood. Inside the posts, they have a lot of different jerky, including rabbit jerky, which actually sounds really good. The clerk, Abuela Rose, welcomes the family to town and forces them to buy fry bread and beef jerkey. She also offers the batteries, but they draw the line no, thanks, we don't need them. They're back on the road. They arrive at their big, beautiful home and Sabrina where you jealous like I was, because the land and the mountains and that house and it was just stunning.
Speaker 2: It looks greatning I love to one of the first shots of his mom and dad just sitting there enjoying the sunset.
Speaker 1: Yep, absolutely, because when you've got that sunset, you don't need Instagram. You can just sit.
Speaker 2: There and enjoy the quiet, enjoy just yeah, the fresh air. Oh man.
Speaker 1: Yeah, believe it or not, the world is much better than Instagram. So don't take the pictures. People go actually look at the scenery. Josh then rushes in to see a surprise. It's a beat up old bike in helmet. They buy this beautiful home somewhere. They can't get the kid a new bike, but anyway, he knows it's quote unquote weak, but he's also cool about it. He's like, hey, it's wheels. His last bike was stolen, and Nick thought since they relocated because of his new science job, it was a good present. Oh, doctor, Nick, just get the kid a real bike. Josh is quick to take the bike out for a spin. Pretending to be in a big televised race, announcing his every move. In the distance, he sees some workers and he speeds up. As he gets closer, he comes to screeching halt, realizing they're moving a giant plate of glass, something only happens in the movies. He avoids the collision, but after a second, the plate just shatters into a million pieces? Did you jump when this happened?
Speaker 2: I thought he was gonna go straight through it. I did not, and that it's gonna like hold it, and he did, And then I was like, how would that just shatter.
Speaker 1: Out of I think they were trying to show that the guy dropped it maybe, but it was. It was shot in a close up, so it was strange. But I was like, oh, he's gonna go through a plate glass window. Josh's killed. Rolled credits.
Speaker 2: That was a quick movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but that did not happen. So Josh rides off, saying, hey, that wasn't my vault. Later that night, Josh's parents are sitting on the new porch watching just an amazing sunset. Again very jealous. It just looked phenomenal. Then a thunderstorm began, oh, which I oh man it's my favorite thing in the world. Love a thunder and lightning storm and it's my favorite thing in the world. But then the power goes out. None of their flashlights work. They need batteries. Ah the trading post. Now we're in a new house. It's the local man that we saw at a trading post, John black Horse. He and his wife a Buela Rose, are just waking up giving blessings in Navajo to the land around them. Meanwhile, Josh is looking through a telescope outside is a new room and sees a blonde kid dancing in the field. He bikes out to learn more, but is stopped by a car. He bike's just right in front of this truck as the truck's driving by the street.
Speaker 2: She died, this kid.
Speaker 1: I'm just gonna ride ride my crap bike right in front of this speeding truck. And it turns out that the car is driven by a Navajo boy, Thomas black Horse and his little sister Scout, who was the person we saw using sign language at the trading post with a grandpa. Thomas alerts Josh there's no riding on the trails, no dirt heads aka BMX bikers allowed. I love that dirt head. Everybody's got an accent, like everybody's got a nickname. As things get tense, the dancing blond boy Moon scurries over and calms the situation by introducing everybody. Thomas doesn't seem interested in getting no Josh, but then he joined Moon in singing lean on Me, luring a lost buffalo into the truck. The team of Thomas, Moon, and Scout drive off with their new catch, leaving Josh in the dust. And I loved them all sitting there and softly singing to get that cute little buffalo. I'm sorry. I was like, that's awesome. It was weird at first, and I was like, I kind of love this.
Speaker 2: I cannot believe you can't handle a musical, but you can handle well.
Speaker 1: You don't want to know why, because it was really singing.
Speaker 2: They're singing to buffalo.
Speaker 1: But it's.
Speaker 2: Okay to you.
Speaker 1: If they all have perfect harmony singing a song where it was like, let's sing about the buffalo come and they're all in a dance, then I would have hated it.
Speaker 2: And you just know, I'm like, oh no, please no, and I just I'm like, damn it, this is gonna happen over and over again in this movie. I can tell this is gonna be a freakod situation. Went out to all these people.
Speaker 1: Seems I loved it anyway.
Speaker 2: Later I braced myself.
Speaker 1: You you just named it, I said, the paget on me, Sabrina when you need the Buffalo.
Speaker 2: Absolutely not well.
Speaker 1: I loved it. Later, Josh and his dad are driving to the lab. It appears Josh got a summer job at his dad's work, and I was trying to remember, is this the first d com we've seen with no school?
Speaker 2: No, no where?
Speaker 1: Did where? What other decom have we seen where there's no school?
Speaker 2: Camp Rock is over the Okay, that's the summer here writes school but they are learning music.
Speaker 1: Right, it is still it's a school kind of environment, but it's not really school. That's a good call. Zombies, there's a school, Cheetah girls, there's a school.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Oh the Orphanage one, we're being told.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, the Orphanage was one where the guy the remember the kid had what's the inventions? He was flying?
Speaker 1: Yes? Yes, yes, with Andrew Barbara and Juliel. Yes, yes, okay, that one. You're right, no school in that one where you thought you thought there was actually ways to launch newspapers in the eighties and we just lost the technology. Yes, I remember that. Okay, we'll figure out what that is. But anyway said the same one, Yeah, I remember.
Speaker 2: It starts the inventor kid made that yep, awesome thing that I just can't believe it.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you're right. There have been a couple the local radio stations back on, and we see DJ Domino played by again fellow cheated Girl, and she's interviewing a veterinarian. A caller is mad that a buffalo charged your truck, but Josh stops listening when he sees Thomas Blackhorse leaving the Trading Boast and being bullied by some white kids on bikes with a bunch of real dirt heads. Josh eventually arrives at his dad's new work, the new Mexico Astrophysics Research Center. A co worker, Virgil, gives Josh's ID badge and shows him around. Josh feels like a real dork, especially when he gets to his office, which is a tiny little copying room, and that's going to be his job all summer, is just making endless copies. Yikes. Back at the trading post, Blaine is now voluntarily buying batteries. The clerk says the power always comes back on and offers her a handful of dried corn products. Blaine notices a flyer asking for volunteers to protect the buffalo. Then the little girl from the truck Scout black Horse appears. She works there since the clerk, A Buela Rose, is her grandma. A Buaila Rose admits they could use Josh's help with the buffalo, and he'd like that way more than working at the lab. Who wouldn't outside all day with animals? Hell, yes, I will take that. Speaking of Josh, he's starting to get so bored in the copy room, he starts xerox in his face. Sabrina, have you ever xerox any part of you before?
Speaker 2: Okay, I mean I just say any part of you? I mean gesh.
Speaker 1: Well, sometimes people hop up and they do their butt. I'm just saying, have you ever xeroxed any part of you before?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I honestly in my Sabrina sees my parents because they worked out the house. They are real estate agents, so they had all their equipment and I put my face your hands, I prop my feet up. I'd put my cat up there with her paws. I mean, okay, that was something my dad would and my dad reacted exactly this way. You are wasting so much ink. Please stop, Sabrina, Like I would try to hide them, and it's just always like, Sabrina, stop.
Speaker 1: You see the say I like it. That's why I asked you said several body parts there. There you go. I didn't have to say face. We now find ourselves back in the radio station. Domino has new guests, Kyle and his dumb friends, the dirt Heads, who are harassing Thomas. By the way, weakest gang in the history of the Decons I know. And I seriously just the week they're like, he's their gangs and the bad guys.
Speaker 2: Like about the three of them were just this is.
Speaker 1: Not Johnny and the Cobra Kai by any stretch from Karate Kid. Yeah, just lame, yes, just lame. Anyway, The dirt Heads that were harassing Thomas at the trading Post are these guys, and they're looking for people to join them BMX Bike in Friday at the Red Rocks they're doing on their mountain biking stuff. So we're now back in the fields Thomas and his grandpa, John Blackhorse, are walking to a sweat lodge and talking about the young man's future plans. They find an herb that can heal, but Thomas reminds his grandpa it still can't get Scout's voice back. John Blackhorse tells his grandson that hurting the buffalo is his job and it's very helpful for the community and a great start in life. Back at the Townsends, Blaine is taking pictures for her upcoming cookbook while Josh talks about how much he hates his new job, and Doctor Nick reveals that his son accidentally included his copied face in a report, and he's certainly not thrilled about it. Better than well the parts of Sabrina. Blaine mentions the Navajo clerk at the trading post needing some buffalo help, but Josh says he met Thomas and that guy was a real jerk. But his mom says if he helps with the herd, he can ride his bike there, and so it's a deal, and they're setting up that he obviously just loves to be on his bike. He rides all the way to the Buffalo Preserve and is coldly greeted by Thomas Scout moon. Moon offers him some gloves, while Thomas only offers him some attitude. After some false start hazing, he jumps into the truck and is now part of the crew. They accept him right away. It was kind of nice. And again this entire time, Simon Baker, to me, was just stealing every scene he was in. He's a very good actor. Yes, he quickly learns about wiring fences to block in the buffaloes because he learns that the buffaloes can be aggressive if they get into town. Have you ever seen a buffalo up close and personal?
Speaker 2: One of the things I'm going to talk about with Sabrina Seas. My friend got married to a guy who family was a bison ranchers, So she got married on a buffalo farm and I experienced lots of buffalo different kinds of meats that I mean, and I came back like a giant swollen sausage because it had so much salt.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that sounds amazing.
Speaker 2: But everything they were talking about, like so many of the scenes with the buffer, well, I was nervous because of how much they were like, you cannot, like, you cannot go out there and they are very aggressive, you have.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, I'm glad the way you told that story though, because I thought you were gonna say the way you started it. My friend married a buffalo, and that would have been a much different this whole family.
Speaker 2: I mean, she lived in a house. I went to visit her in Arizona, the house that they had together, and her entire dining room was filled with buffalo heads all over the wall of a whole dining room room, like like a.
Speaker 1: Whole wall dining room.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it was like, you know, part of it is they do hunt them, so then they use they try to you know, use all of them and whatever. But oh, it was very strange to me. I was like, who, I never thought about a buffalo in any sense.
Speaker 1: Before, and that, yeah, can I have a whole buffalo headroom? Very okay? Well, Josh stops to take a pee break and then he comes face to face with a handful of huge buffalo, which we've just learned shouldn't happen. He slowly passes them, trying to sing, lean on me Sabrina's face to calm them, and of course, if that's not enough, as soon as he's clear, he stumbles right into Kyle and his douche biker friends, laughing at his singing. Josh tells them they aren't supposed to be riding on the Buffalo Trail, but Kyle gives very little shit. He wants to get some big air over at the moon Rocks or moon Rocks, which I guess are a thing which have some quote really sick descents unquote as tough as Josh was acting, the idea of moon rocks for big air and some really sick descents apparently does excite him, and right as he's daydreaming about the bike trail, his hurting crew appears, creating a bit of a standoff between the douches and the cool people. The bikers glide off, no care for the trail rules again because they're ass faces.
Speaker 2: I love how quickly though Josh has gotten on the side of you know, his crew, He really already is are not supposed to be Well, yes, he's thinking, oh wow, that does sound fun, but he is. He's standing up to these guys who have already kind of like muscled back at him. Yeah, and he's like, you're not supposed to be here, this isn't your land, and yeah for them, I gave him props.
Speaker 1: I like that, but he also still wants to be a dirt which is what I'm calling them.
Speaker 2: Because he obviously really loves biking and that's obviously happened her.
Speaker 1: Home terrible, I know. Later on, after hard day's work, the herd crew are ready to leave as a thunderstorm approaches. Oh so many thunderstorms. I just I like, I want to go to Oklahoma during like thunderstorms.
Speaker 2: Do we think they were like real when they were filming them?
Speaker 1: Or two? But Utah? Are they? Are they really? Utah? I have no idea what have to do?
Speaker 2: It didn't look bad at all.
Speaker 1: No, some of the buffalo shots didn't. You could tell we're super imposed the storms look storms looks great? I agree, so yes. With the thunderstorm approaching, Josh still decides to ride his bike home, even though Moon strongly suggests joining in the car, And boy does he regret that decision because on his way home it starts to pour, only to finally get home to a hot bath and basically fall asleep in it, which I'd like everyone know is a major death trap. Now at this point, I wasn't yelling at the screen, but I'll get into why I'm yelling at the screen. Later the next day, the Herd squad is back at it. Moon is talking about how this land was given to the Navajo by the Sacred Four Mountains, but is reminded he's actually Danish, which I love that bart where he's just like Thomas black Horse was just like, dude, you're Danish. The guys get to clearing the trees, and just when Josh gets super tired, he's revitalized by seeing all the buffalo that he's preserving and he's starting to get the vibe. Later, Josh is at Charlie Horse, which is the local BMX shop, checking out their inventory. While he's drooling about a cool new bike, he's interrupted by Kyle. He just bought that bike and invites Josh to come out and ride with him, And that's when we see Scout and her grandma in the store listening in. Kyle takes his bike and tells him that they'll be at Red Rocks on Friday, and we can tell it sounds really cool to Josh. Nearby, Grandma says it's time for one of our famous potlucks, and also, what the hell were they doing in the bike shop? Why are they there? Don't they hate bike shops. They're like, it was weird to have them there in the bike shop, like they should have been there maybe outside walking bikes. It's like, why are they in the bike shop? They don't like the bike shop?
Speaker 2: Well, they also this a Bula Rose is like, she's like when I was talking about my mom being just like a ninja, Like she just always kind of pops up the whole time she's there. She's like, Hey, what do you do it? No, I'm just making sure I know.
Speaker 1: What you're up to. She does. She knows everything.
Speaker 2: As she knows everything. I guess that's what you have to do to be the all knowing.
Speaker 1: You know, you're when you become the grandmother. Eventually you're gonna be in ninja Ninja mom, then ninja grandma. You know that's gonna happen. I gets So we now are cutting to this famous potluck she was talked about, and it is packed with Navajo locals. Josh and his parents arrived with some dried blue corn cheese ball pick me ups, which A say that five times fast. B I'd like to try them. Moon introduces himself to doctor Nick, to which Nick responds, that's a stellar name. Got it. That's a cool dad joke. Do you have a favorite dad joke?
Speaker 2: It's a great dad joke.
Speaker 1: Do you have a good dad joke?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I can't think of them off the top of my head, though, No either.
Speaker 1: There's some good dad jokes out there.
Speaker 2: One of my and I know you don't go on Instagram, but one of my favorite one is these three men that are out hunting and they whisper them like you, and they all start crapping up. They're trying to keep quiet because they're hunting.
Speaker 1: It's okay.
Speaker 2: I could listen to dad jokes all day.
Speaker 3: I was the only dad I do have to give you one?
Speaker 1: Please? What do you got?
Speaker 3: Where do Leprekns live? Where Leprokondos.
Speaker 1: Have a great day?
Speaker 2: That's a good one.
Speaker 1: That's so good. I love that.
Speaker 2: Okay, I got what I got one? Hey Will, I'm scared for this calendar? Why because their days are numbered?
Speaker 1: Okay, that's a good one.
Speaker 2: I need to have.
Speaker 1: I need to have some of my hip pockets. Repeating her own punchline, Ah, I love those. That night, we are still at the party. Josh, Moon, Scout and Thomas are looking at the stars. Thomas explains that his grandma wants him to eat, sleep, and breathe Navajo, but it's just not for him. Josh can relate to that. That's how his dad is with science, and I liked the kind of them bonding over their dads, but two sides of the same coin. I thought it was very cool nearby John black Horse and doctor nick Or chatting. This is exactly what I was talking about, also finding common ground. They're both trying to save the universe and their surroundings, just in different ways, and both get their stories from the sky. Inside the house, Josh walks in on Scout listening to music and looking longingly at a picture in a frame, and it's definitely becoming another dcom go to for letting us know that someone is dead or gone. Thomas lets Josh know that Scout can hear perfectly, she just doesn't talk, and she hasn't always been that way. Josh thanks him for the day and leaves with his parents. One thing I really liked about this character was he was very polite, and while cleaning up, John Blackhorse suggests that Thomas take out Josh to show him a good time. So the next day, Thomas takes his new friend and the rest of the Buffalo gang to a secret waterfall and riverspot called Shining Steps, and oh god, I just wanted to be able to go there. He makes Josh wear secrecy about it, though he can't tell anybody. They each take turns jumping in from a tall cliff while a really annoying flute plays in the background. A lot of the music was very Asian. Karate kid was what this music was. I thought it was off put.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 1: It didn't fit to me.
Speaker 2: No, And it's one of those things where you feel like they're trying to push push stuff in.
Speaker 1: Like spirituality, yes, yes, instead of letting it flow. Even though Josh is scared, he eventually does jump in the water with a very badly imposed shot where they it looked like it was a reasonable ten foot jump, but when they super imposed it made him look like he jumped off this giant fifty foot cliff. Yeah, it was strange.
Speaker 2: I don't think it looked good.
Speaker 1: No, that didn't didn't look good at all. Moon explains this river is where Navajo men would learn how to hunt and become a man. Thomas then asks why he's so interested in the Navajo culture, and Moon says it's because they had to survive hardships to be where they are today, and he believes in everything they preach. He especially someday wants to have a vision on the other end of the spectrum, though Thomas doesn't believe in any of it. He thinks they make it up as they go. But even with this in mind, he hates Kyle for being so anti Navajo, which makes sense. Kyle's back at home, Josh finds his dad is playing acoustic guitar, so note to self, never invite him to a party. He tells his parents about his day and gets shut down when he mentions getting a new bike. Now it's Friday, the day of the Red Rocks bike ride, and Josh is waiting at the bus stop with his bike, and then a boil A Rose and John Blackhorse pull up to offer him a ride. He accepts, and they drop him off with Kyle and his goon's already biking. And then I love this so much. Josh makes sure this isn't a restricted area or sacred land. They assure him it's not, but still worn and to be careful and safe, and I don't know why, but I thought it was such an endearing moment and of him just double checking, like, am I okay to ride here? Is it sacred? Is it? And it was just little moments like that I really liked in this film.
Speaker 2: Yes, and I love that in a kid like you hope your kids like that. I don't. To me, that made me not that irritated with him wanting to It wasn't you know, wanting him to be with the quote unquote cool kids right because they knew it was like, you know what, he just really likes to bike so that someone else wants to ride. No, you know, these are the people he can ride with. But he's still really already embracing this culture and their their boundaries and what they you know, what they believe. Really, I was like, oh, ye, good dude, Josh, You're cute.
Speaker 1: Josh is a good dude. The boys all line up ready for a big race, and Kyle warns Josh his bike might not be made for this type of train, but Josh sees no issues. He's ready, and then go the bike speed off, bouncing off rocks, pushing through the off road. Kyle was right, this is tough. It looks very dangerous. We see Kyle then Josh complete some pretty cool jumps as promised. Everything is going great until Josh runs right into a giant concrete slab for some reason and goes flying over his handlebars. It is quite a spill for his body double. Instead of popping in the check on him, Kyle just yells aw, that's gotta hurt and passes him. After the race, one of the goons it invites Josh to go swimming, but Kyle says there're too many locals at the public pool. Oh. I knew where this is going right away. You can tell that Josh wants to fit in more, especially when he hears another kid making fun of his bike, so he quickly blurts out that he knows somewhere they can all go swimming. Oh oh Josh, And just like that. The day after, he leads them to Thomas's secret Navajo spot the way to keep a secret for twenty four hours bro not even a place he promised he would never share. Kyle as they're driving their crashes into a small tree, knocking it down before running to the sacred lake and throwing a soda can into it. Josh's really messed up. Eventually, the boys jump in and when Josh shows some trepidation, another goon pushes him over the cliff, fully clothed. This is after they had like Thomas black Horse. They're in the water with Scout and he's like, you don't have to jump if you don't want it. It's just they're showing the good guys the bad guys. Clearly, Josh is obviously furious. This could have seriously injured him, but no one cares. We're back in town now and a buffalo is standing in the middle of the street blocking traffic. And that same woman, buffalo Buffalo Karen. We're gonna call her from now on, so Buffalo Karen is calling it. The woman from the radio show earlier is stress sitting in her car. Thomas arrives and wrangles the animal away by once again singing, lean on Me, I love it. The kid is very good at his job. Back at the waterfall, Kyle is spray painting his name on the rocks and Josh can't believe it.
Speaker 2: This isn't his.
Speaker 1: Landon's made fun of him for caring about the Navajo and go right back to tagging. Josh wants to leave asap, but the posse isn't done cause damage. And I was livid when I was watching this time.
Speaker 2: Is this when you were screaming at no, this isn't it? I was pissed. I can't stand when I see this out and about, especially on any kind of older building, you know, stuff like there's some places where it was either alloud or whatever, and they're beautiful pieces of art, you know, but when it's just something that you just get a can of hate and just spray on.
Speaker 1: And I remember I had so. I was in hiking a hiking club in high school and our teacher, mister la Chance was the cool uh English teacher. We loved him, and he would he was very aware of wherever we were. And I remember one time we're walking up we're hiking up Mount Washington and somebody's walking by and talking loudly and he just turns his head and goes, dude, you're infringing on my right to enjoy the mountain. And I remember his voice in my head as I watch it is like, dude, you're infringing on other people's rights you enjoy the shining steps. So yet me The next morning, Josh says he's sick and missus work, but you can tell he just feels guilty and is avoiding everything. Out back on the reservation, the Buffalo Gang decide that once they're finished with the day's work, they're going to go swimming at Shining Steps, and you know what's coming next. As soon as they arrive, they see all the vandalism in the trash. Thomas and Scout immediately know it was Josh and all those goons, but Moon, of course, being Moon, isn't so sure. We're now back at Josh's house. He's working on his damage bike when his parents walk downstairs with Thomas and John black Horse. They know he brought his friends to Shining Steps, and he quickly breaks down. He says he was there, but he didn't tag or litter. He says he tried to stop them, which is kind of a lie. He really just softly warned them. He for sure could have done a lot more, but he didn't. And Josh just keeps repeating that he tried to stop them, which again isn't the issue. He's completely ignoring the main problem, which is that he brought them there in the first place. Doctor Nick assures the guests that this will be taken care of and apologizes. John black Horse says that nature now needs to be balanced by the boys living in ho show, which seems very serious to Thomas. We learn what a hot show is when Josh and Thomas packed their bags very early in the morning. They're going into the willness alone to discover their true nature. The time spent alone will help them find themselves. They need to embrace the dreams they have and accept the animals who approach them. Have you ever done anything like this a spiritual kind of journey or quest?
Speaker 2: No? And I just needed I was like, hold on, okay, Josh Thomas could if you told me he was above the age of eighteen, I'd believe you. He seems like an older character, probably just because he seems in general as an actual person, not an actor, like an old soul. Josh is like a little kid. Okay, we're sending him where now with no one, and then he's not even gonna be sleeping near Thomas, who looks like he knows his way around. We're just gonna let him go where now. No, Nope, nope, but no.
Speaker 1: They're supposed to be learned. He even says, you need each other so they're supposed to be together the whole time. And is he a little kid or has he just been like a little kid.
Speaker 2: I don't care. He's I don't care what it is. He's too young to be doing this on his own.
Speaker 1: I was like, fair enough.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, this made my heart just go. This is a bad idea.
Speaker 1: I'd love to do this. So I am not outdoorsy. I was when I was a kid. I used to camp and ride bikes and do all that kind of stuff, but I've lost it as an adult. I wouldn't mind some kind of reconnection with nature. I think that would be interesting.
Speaker 2: Take me for my birthday once to a camping trip, and okay, he had all these really cool things, like the shower that you hang from the tree and you put the big thing of water out on a rock for four hours and it yat it up and did you like it? Like day one? I was like, okay, cool. Then like we were there for three nights and I'm like, no, I can't have any more eggs and trout, like get me on, gim home. This is it. Then, by the way, this was not a good birthday.
Speaker 1: When did you break up with him? How long after that did you break up of them?
Speaker 2: Probably a few months after. Honestly, it was like, uh man.
Speaker 1: No, okay, I'm sorry, note your self, Sabrina's birthday, no eggs and trout.
Speaker 2: I'm like a couple in cocktails. Girl, I'm not like.
Speaker 1: But I yeah, that's why I would like to reconnect it. I know Sue's the same way anyway on that. Yeah, I know, yeah. I oh, don't get me wrong. I will be connecting by myself. Even before sunrise, John black Horse gets them ready for their journey and warns them about possible thunderstorms. He looks through their bags, confiscating most of it, including Josh's dim sum. The boys complain they need their stuff. He advises them to look after one another and drives off. The boys start their walk and Josh wonders if a hot show is a vision quest. Thomas says, no, Navajos don't do vision quests. It's worth noting now that the synopsis on Disney Plus is two teenagers are sent on a vision quest by a Navajo elder, so that was apparently not They're doing Oh the Boy. The boys stop at a river, but Thomas says it is a bad campsite because they're animal tracks. He also actively tries to ditch Josh, and for good reason. He's still mad at Josh for leading Kyle to the sacred area, which he should be. This part is also infuriating because Josh asked, what was he supposed to do? He couldn't stop the goons again, ignoring the fact that he brought them there in the first place. That's the problem, Josh, not that he couldn't stop them, brought him there when you shouldn't have after holding that secret for nine.
Speaker 2: Hours, secret place that no one knows about, and now they're going to tell everyone that place is destroyed.
Speaker 1: That's the reason they are now aimlessly walking in the desert. Thomas mentions this glaring omission and takes off in a different direction. They'll meet back up in the morning. Now separated, Kyle gets scared off by a snake, finds a pretty feather and eats some wild berries. Where I'm going? Who just grabs random berries and eats them? You look, you didn't die right away, you idiot.
Speaker 2: Io God that they showed that it was a bad idea with.
Speaker 1: His comedy, So yeah, now he's thrown up.
Speaker 2: Just to crash rarity from anywhere. Oh, by the way, I have done it. It's a terrible Oh have.
Speaker 1: You what are you thinking? Oh my god. I was out.
Speaker 2: Literally riding my bike with my friend and we were sitting there doing just like hanging out, doing stuff that you do out in the like climbing trees and whatever. Told you about like my whole little pond that it was not a pond, and there was berries, and we're like, oh, I'm hungry, let's try these. And we tried them and we both got so sick that whole night. So just eat.
Speaker 1: Random n berries. Nearby, Thomas is skipping rocks and starts a fire. Now night has fully fallen and the boys are trying to sleep, but they're constantly woken by animal noises, which forces them both to grasp their pocket knives in fear. And then as Thomas closes his eyes, it happens he hears his grandfather and sees a series of stars come together into the shape of a staff. He reaches up to the sky and pulls a real staff from a constellation, totally trippy. Once it's in his hands, we enter a CP of flashback. Thomas is now in traditional Navajo war garb and joined by his sister. Another Navajo man is approaching and yelling he needs to help. Thomas needs to herd the buffalo and bring health back to their people. Thomas yells out to the stranger, sorry, not my problem. The man swears it is his problem, though this land is part of him. Then they all turn to dust. Thomas and Scout's ashes ride a gust of wind to another field, now placed right next to buffalo. Thomas nos Scout will be of no help, so he tells the buffalo he will never be forgotten. They will help each other, and with a turn of the staff, the scene returns back to color, revealing hundreds of buffalo in the distance. It was very cool. We also see that Thomas is actually fast asleep back at his cantslite, and so is Josh. But Josh is dreaming about McDonald's, which is what I dream about most times, even though the dream changes, and now he's on top of a mountain, just chilling when a hawk lands next to him and says thanks when he feeds him a little bit of the burger. This freaks Josh out. He needs to go home, but he quickly realizes there's nowhere to go unless he can fly, and the bird encourages him to do just that. We all have flight inside of us. And I just wanted to eat some of those berries and be on these drugs because they looked phenomenal. I want to have flying dreams where animals are talking to me and all that kind of stuff. I'll eat random berries that this is where it ends up without the vomiting. Yes, the hawk tells Josh to pick between a raven, a blue jay, a crow, or an eagle as his spirit bird. Josh tiptoes to the edge of the mountain and jumps. He free falls, but eventually starts flying. Have you ever had a flying dream?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: Aren't they the best? They're amazing. He is coasting above the beautiful New Mexico scenery Utah, eventually landing at a waterfall. Back in real life, a thunderstorm has begun, waking both boys up. Josh and Thomas yell for each other, meeting back up for the emergency, they have to get to a cave they spotted on the initial walk. Now shielded from the rain and sitting with a fire, Thomas share some beef jerky, which if did I get this wrong? Josh is like, what is this, Like he'd never seen beef jerky before. It was a strange kind of line where he's like, it's beef turkey dump, it's a slim gym. You've never been to seven eleven, Like what the hell? But it was misinterpreted what he was saying. He didn't understand It seems like I didn't understand.
Speaker 2: It was like, what is this? What's beef jerky? But however, if I had been in that trading post prior and she was selling the turkey, like if Jordan, I asked Jordan what kind of jerky he has? Because he loves when we go up to Big Beer, they places with all like Alixander, and I don't want any part of any of that. I will do chicken, and I will do beef, and there that.
Speaker 1: Is all rabbit.
Speaker 2: I do. Just make sure if it's in like a weirder looking bag, what kind is it?
Speaker 1: What did you what did you jerky? Jordan? What is this exactly? Explain?
Speaker 2: I think he's tried turtle. He's definitely tried salmon.
Speaker 1: Alligator's good, turtle's good.
Speaker 2: I think in Alaska we had something was that saying maybe there was a a lot of really like like different kind of fishy ones.
Speaker 1: I eat anything once. Oh yeah.
Speaker 2: Anyway, after the trading post, I think it's fair to kind of be like, what is it?
Speaker 1: I know, but I think, yeah, it was like what the hell is going on?
Speaker 3: Anyway?
Speaker 1: Their shield it from the rain. Thomas Sherison beef jerky, and Josh shares his dream. He decided he was an eagle, while Thomas says he dreamt he was a hunter and it all felt very real. Thomas said he's tired of being in Navaja. He wants to live in Brooklyn or Graceland, but can't leave Scout or his grandparents. His parents left for Seattle and died in a car crash. This is where we find out that they died in a car crash, and that's when young Scouts stopped talking. The next morning, Josh's back home taking a shower. This is where I started screaming at the TV. How many times did we need to see this young kid in either a shower or a bathtub?
Speaker 2: It was one of my first seas. This is the first time we have I feel.
Speaker 1: Like seen they keep cutting to this kid in shower. I was by the fourth one. I was like, why do we need to keep seeing the get in a shower? It was off.
Speaker 2: Putting, Yes, it was. It absolutely was, especially like what I mean, he is kind of too old to be taking baths? Right, No, I know, but that age range, I know, I get it. It's that age range or not there. It was weird.
Speaker 1: It was weird. There must have been four or five times they showed this kid in either a shower about brain?
Speaker 2: Did ask where else could he be like us?
Speaker 1: Anywhere else? How about you don't need it? What do you need to see? You learned nothing?
Speaker 2: The only time that it was supportive that made a lot of sense was we haven't gotten there. But when he trains.
Speaker 1: Yes, okay, so show him one time. Can we have a one time to get in a bathtub scene? Please?
Speaker 2: I mean, my god, it was chanel weird.
Speaker 1: It was off putting. It really really right? Yes, okay. So Josh back on his bike when he runs into Kyle and his goons. They're trying to find the secret waterfall again and ask Josh for directions. Apparently they don't know how to get there. Josh demands they go clean up the mess they made, but the jerks just want to swim. Josh says he can't give them the location, and so Kyle challenges him to a bike grace and oh, we're getting Disney here. If Kyle wins, they get to ride wherever they want and the tribe has to back off. If Josh wins, Kyle and his goons get lost forever. This seems like a bet Josh shouldn't be making in the name of the Navajo people. It was like, why are you doing this? They decide the race will take place next Saturday, but one of the goons then has my favorite moment of the entire movie where he says they have to push it back off by a week because he's getting his braces off. Just strange. So they agree two saturdays from now at the Devil's Taint. They are going on the trail. It's actually the Devil's Revenge, but I have to call it the Devil's Taint from this morning on, just so you know. It's the Devil's Revenge trail. So anyway, why is he called that? Because that's it. It's the best names there always Devil's Curve, Devil's dead Man's curve, Devil's this, this is the Devil's Taint. Josh pays a surprise morning visit to John black Horse and a Buela Rose, waking them up. Josh asks for Navajo herbs or medicine to get into better shape for the race. John gives him a green liquid in a jar and tells him not to eat anything today. We see Josh back home, working out and blending the concoction for consumption. He eventually is forced to admit to his Buffalo crew that he challenged Kyle to a race, and like me, Thomas don't understand why he's speaking for all the Navajo locals. Even Moon thinks this is a bad idea, and Moon is clearly a weirdo. But Josh swears he'll win. He wants to finally do something bigger than himself, but Thomas wants to take over the race, especially after they see the Devil's Taint. It is a terrifying, nasty trail and it is too much for Josh's bike, but Josh says he must do this to make up for his mistakes. He'll fix his bike and win, and Scout actually agrees. She hands him a turquoise necklace for good fortune. It is on we get a montage here Love a good montage of Josh practicing and exercising, eventually bejing again in the Green John Black Horse juice. I don't need to ever see this kid in a bathtub. While practicing, he runs into Kyle and his goons and they exchange words. Kyle has a last laugh, though he clogs Josh's spokes and sends him flying. Even worse, it damaged his bike and he has to walk home. Now Before this, did you notice this? They do another montage of Josh training and he falls off his bike, tries to pap a wheelie and hits a rock and falls off his bike. That looked real. It didn't look like a stunt. It wasn't. His stunt man actor was clearly trying to do something like Papa Little Wheelly and takes a spill like the end they kept it in the movie. It is clearly he has a wipeout and I was like, ooh, that was real. Wouch But yeah, this one, though, was obviously done by a stunt double. But even worse, it damages his bike. He has to walk home and the thunderstorm is a bruin his mind. I want to live in this place with all these thunderstorms. His mom is worried and calls Thomas. They have no idea where Josh. She then calls DJ Domino, who cuts into a broadcast with a breaking emergency. Everyone should be looking for Josh. He is officially missing. Doctor Nick and Blaine and the Black Horses hit the road looking for their son in the storm, eventually finding him shivering at the train tracks. He is distraught that he can't race Kyle without a bike. Now, Thomas and John return Kyle home and his parents are obviously very thankful. John offers an extract to help his spirit, but Nick is quick to say that a real doctor is on the way. The doctor comes in and essentially says the same thing that John black Horse says, which I really like. Now both families are together in the kitchen as Josh sleeps. John reveals to Josh's parents that he was training for a competition. They're shocked they knew nothing about this. John sages Josh's room, hoping to heal him, and Nick has to leave the house for a drive because he is sneezing the entire time. While coasting, he sees some road signs that say looking for something, so he pulls over to learn more. It is a cabin store called Things Forgotten. I think that's what it was called. I can't remember. It was filled. I'm kidding, didn't you. Sometimes it's so easy it's not even worth it. Like the calendar it's Day's member. No.
Speaker 2: I really liked the name of it. And it's always I gets like little things from things remembered. Okay, oh, thanks for God, and that's actually really good for this. I loved it.
Speaker 1: It is filled with knick knacks, with patty wax and with jewelry and inside is Now do you think this was Scout? Do you think this was a grown up version of Scout in some kind of weird that they did?
Speaker 2: No? I just was like, how do these people are? How are they all mind readers?
Speaker 1: It's I didn't know if it was. There's a chance they were going for that's supposed to be grown up talking Scout. I don't know, but I think I'm not sure. If it is, it's brilliant. If it's not, they cast someone who could play her older, but I don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and she actually looked familiar to me, that actress.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it couldn't be too sir. Yeah, but she says he's not law he says, yes, I am, and he's looking for something for his son. She suggests a bike, and he can't believe she knew to say that. He's taken aback as a scientist. He just doesn't understand the Navajo people. She tells him there's a bike in the back and she can let him have it for cheap. And then Josh finally wakes up. He sees a shiny, new red bike in his room and calls it tight. His mom and dad are so excited to see him awake. Nick says the bike is for the race. Josh says he isn't sure, but his dad assures him he is now on the way to the big race. Doctor Nick is giving all sorts of scientific advice to his son. There is a big crowd already waiting for the competition as Josh and Kyle shake hands before they start. Now at the starting line, Moon gets them ready, Get set and go. DJ Domino's keeping everyone updated on the radio as we watch along. They're both going at it full speed, neck and neck, with Josh's parents watching through a telescope. Okay, now follow me here nearby the woman in the truck again Buffalo Karen the one who seems to be hounded by buffalo throughout the entire movie. She's driving in the field. Her car backfires, spooking the herd into a stampede. Meanwhile, the race has come to the top of the mountain. Josh in the lead, but he notices the buffalo are off the reservation, thanks that dumb truck lady again, stupid buffalo. Karen. Kyle is gaining ground, so Josh finally starts to descent. They're virtually tied as they approach the Devil's Tape. Josh takes a massive jump over the cliff and lands it, but Kyle takes the easy slow way around, because sometimes you'd like to take the slow root with the Devil's taint. But the buffalo are also still running at full speed and Thomas senses it. Josh is now ridden completely off the trail. He entered the spectator area, alerting his crew that the buffalo are on their way to town. He ditches the race completely, letting everyone in the emergency. Even Kyle's goos decide to help, leaving their idiot friend behind to race himself. Now the crew and a dozen other kids are racing back home. Thomas sets a plan to corral the buffalo, and everyone follows his lead. But once Thomas gets close, he takes a big fall, uncontrollably rolling on the ground, landing face to face with a buffalo. Scout catches up to help. With her brother now hurt and helpless, the buffalo could attack every moment she knows that stares at the animal, takes a deep breath, oh, and starts to sing Lean on Me, Yes Love It Sabrina's favorite. Eventually joined by her brother, she is talking again. They successfully calmed the buffalo, sending him away, while at the same time the rest of the bikers have halted the progress of the stampede. The city is saved. DJ Domino announces the victory, leading us to another potluck celebration. Josh is trying new prickly pear food and cactus, accepting his new Navajo ways. John Blackhorse gives a speech, gifting his son Thomas an arrowhead necklace that belonged to his dad. He also calls up Josh and ceremoniously gives him the name Rides with the Wind. The partygoers applaud all their new friends are together, and they make a pack to protect the land as one, They give each other high fives and we freeze. That is our movie. Why don't we do some real reviews? I think I have the five star this week, and it is by somebody named Johnny macbarlowe, and the five star review reads as thus, Hi, I'm the husband of Elvia Nava, who played Scott's who played scouts stunt double in the movie. I was there and saw a riding so close to the buffalo who were hurted by a helicopter. It is something I will never forget. The crew deserves huge credit for ensuring my wife's safety and that of the other stunt doubles. My wife is a real tough Latina. I hope you like her work. Thanks five stars. What do you got this week, Sabrina?
Speaker 2: I've got a one star from our buddy unamid unnamed putting in a review not willing to take the cap. Take some credit, view, take some credit, guys. Anyway, this one goes saw the first twenty minutes of it pretty stupid in my opinion, of course.
Speaker 1: Wo wow, Ounama's harsh this week. One star. And now we come to our feature presentation of our program Sabrina's favorite it the Jensen Chronicles. I'm gonna start calling this producer Jensen Chronicles, and this feature is called BMX or bm next. When we started the podcast, who would have guessed that BMX bikes were such a common theme in d COM's It sure does come up a lot. So to make sure we're ready for any bikes the future holds, we're gonna be given four options, and we have to guess which is an actual name for a BMX bike and which you're fake. The other options are completely and totally made up. If we can guess three out of five, we win. Number one? So which again, real bike company? Fake bike company? Is it a Borrow Major, B Trick Minor Cee Horrow Master or D Spike Senior Sabrina? What do you got? C?
Speaker 2: Harrow Master?
Speaker 1: I am also agreeing with you because I know Harrow is a bike company because I watch BMX Bandits and Rat all the time. I'm so see Horror Master.
Speaker 3: It is C horror Master. Your movie tradition has paid off.
Speaker 1: Finally, number two is it a Skyway, Street Beat, B Spoke Set, sun More, See Cloud Lane Century or D just Air And I'm gonna say I have no idea. I'll pick first this time, since you pick first. Last time, uh, B spoke set sun More.
Speaker 2: I'm going with that one too.
Speaker 1: Okay, B Spoke sets on More, stick together and lose. It's a okay, Skyway street beat lose. That's right, don't ever ever stick together? Number three? Is it a speed Pro three, B speed Pro two, C speed Pro one or D Hutch Trick Star Sabrina?
Speaker 2: What do you got going with D hut Star?
Speaker 1: It is gonna be D because Hutch is another bike company.
Speaker 3: You will knew so much about being.
Speaker 2: I have a pretty cool one to take him to the coop.
Speaker 1: I did not yet. Here's the other thing. By the way, my brother had a Hutch when we were growing up. It was like his prize possession. Number four Is it a General Osborne Pro, B Sergeant Osborne Pro C, Captain Osborne Pro or D Officer Osborne Pro. And once again, I have no idea, so I'm gonna pick just because it's kind of a cool name. B Sergeant Osborne Pro. Sabrina, what you got?
Speaker 2: I was gonna go with B, but now I can't. I'll go with D Officer.
Speaker 1: Okay, you're gonna please it's a wet generals like nah that doesn't seem cool enough general. Now this is where Jensen gets mean, because I know Mongoose is also a bike company. So is it a Mongoose Jumper Pro, B Mongoose Decade, CE, Mongoose Grinder, or D Mongoose Tinder. So it I was like, oh, Mongoose Grinder are you I'm gonna go with a Mongoose Jumper Pro.
Speaker 3: I'm so good at fake names. It's b.
Speaker 2: Ma's decade that seems weird, the pro and the grinder, Like.
Speaker 1: Really, I thought grinder and tinder you would have realized we're too fake things. No.
Speaker 2: I thought he found grinder and was like, oh, that's funny, man.
Speaker 1: I see the way.
Speaker 3: That's what I thought you'd think.
Speaker 1: Good lost Again, that's two in a row. We have lost. Can we do something seas at least we know we'll win.
Speaker 2: There kinda So one of the first things and I put it down going they're, you know, definitely going to talk about this, but we'll just put it down anyway. Did you realize that she could she could hear before they like made it obvious?
Speaker 1: No, you didn't. No, I thought she was deaf.
Speaker 2: Oh, because in when he's in the bike shop, and they're talking and her in a.
Speaker 1: Boil, and that's where I figured it out. Okay, I thought you met when we first meet her.
Speaker 2: Oh no, no, no no, but this this was quite This was a couple of few scenes before the like well it was it was before the potluck, it was right before the potluck or whatever. And I was like, she can't see his mouth to you know, I know, deaf people are just incredible at like some of them pretty lived and it's just amazing how much, you know, they can really do with that. And I'm like, no, you can tell the angle, she cannot see his mouth, what is going on here? So I was like that that hit me first, and then obviously that next scene when we see her on the bed and everything it all comes together, and that just really took my, like my heart, because I have heard about a few people that do really kind of goes to clues through traumatic things, and I've talked to the parents of children like that, how hard it is for the parents because of a school and all that. So that was just like a moment that I was like, you know.
Speaker 1: This, there's a character in Scrooge the Little Boy and Scrooged. It doesn't talk because it keeps dealt with the trauma.
Speaker 2: Yes, anything so crazy, And that just really took my heart as a mom, Like that was like me and I like really just loved this little character of her, and I loved her way of finding a way to communicate, and I thought the way they used it throughout the movie was really great. You know, she wasn't necessarily always doing sign language. She is kind of also signing the what seemed like the Navajo like ways of speaking, which I thought was creative and I thought they got really great. One of the first things though, before that, was this kid, it's not like his bike. So we got to talk about this bike.
Speaker 1: The crap bike or the good bike, the crap bike, because it's a crap bike.
Speaker 2: It wasn't even like it was a kind of rusty old somewhat of a mountain bike or a sport bike at all. It was like keeeek bike around a beach cruiser. Yes, this is a beach cruiser that you see in Newport, Okay. Yes, an old one. Yes, an old one. But this was not that bike. There is no way in hell that bike could have been on the terrain.
Speaker 1: It was no right, Well, they keep showing him changing the tires, so they keep showing him putting on new tires. So they're showing that he's putting on mountain bike tires. It's clearly not a mountain bike.
Speaker 2: So would that work on a thing?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean again, you're you're just if you put on those kind of tires, then yes, but it's still your It's just a crap bike. They bought this multimillion dollar house and that they give the kid like, hey, we found this in the junkyard kind of bike. It was weird.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just it just was a little bit of a stretch to me. I don't think they needed to go far as getting this poor kid a beach cruiser.
Speaker 1: That was just to get a bike ad to me.
Speaker 2: Another thing that really struck out to me. Obviously we talked about the amount of baths that this kid took in a Disney movie. That was weird for me. But when the kids were going to the waterfall and those cans they had, I for sure was like, we're doing drink. This is a drinking thing in front of a Disney thing. We've only seen it once, but it looked like full blown like beer be You did not look like a soda of any sort. And I know you can't do Coca Cola, you can't do the main brands. I understand that, but I wish there. It just really like was like off putting to me. Especially when they throw them in the river and all that kind of stuff. Was just like, whoa drinking in a Disney comm You know, I'm not into that. I'm not into doing the drinking with the Disney bombs. Not not cool. Keep it for somewhere else. They had, like obviously the black horses and then the Charlie Horse was the place where they were. There was the bike shop, thank you, but there were no horses anywhere in this community. They had a lot of horses kind, but there were no horses. Yeah, and then the last thing, little tidbit. Monroe watched most of this with me. She actually really liked this movie. Okay, she usually kind of she'll start, she'll come back, and she kind of moves around. Her favorite part was when Scout gave her him the necklace and she goes, Mommie, why is she giving him a necklace? Is that Mowanna's necklace? And I was like, yeah, that's probably Mowanna's necklaces like very cool.
Speaker 1: Sweet. Yeah, I liked it.
Speaker 2: I liked this movie. She liked it enough to watch with me, which again she does not. She hasn't been able to. The DCM is still a little bit above her head at this point.
Speaker 1: No, I get it. That's it.
Speaker 2: There's a fun watch to watch with my little one.
Speaker 1: That's great. Well, thank you, Sabrina, and uh well, now we gotta rate it now, we gotta we gotta figure out what we like about this. So our options for this week again, Now, let's do one out of ten and then we'll do we'll do ten. We'll make ten the best.
Speaker 2: I kind of liked one at forty, but I know I'm gonna give.
Speaker 1: This a twenty nine. Yes, So our options today are one out of ten, Jerkys one out of ten, dirt Heads, moon Rocks for Big Air and really Sick Descents one out of ten, DJ Dominoes, one out of ten, Potlucks, Talking Hawks, dried blue Corn, cheeseball pick me ups one at a ten, John Black Horse, Green Juices one out of ten, Josh's dim Sums, or I'm going to add one out of ten unnecessary children bathing. Which would you like to pick.
Speaker 2: I thought you were gonna add because it was so good one out of ten Buffalo Karens.
Speaker 1: Buffalo Karens is a good one too. You picked.
Speaker 2: Buffalo Karens Buffalo Carriens, you got it. Character drove me crazy.
Speaker 1: There was no point for There was no point in her character.
Speaker 2: Honestly, I think the DJ character with Adrian was was. I obviously loved watching her do it, but at the same time, it was kind of like it did. It wasn't absolutely necessary. They could have made her character a beefier or knocked out with Buffalo Karen fear or knock it out.
Speaker 1: Why don't we go first? You go first?
Speaker 2: You're going to go first because I gave our last movie a six point five, which I hope I'm right, but I'm pretty sure it did. Okay, This one, to me was kind of the same in the sense of I could take it or leave it. But I did think some of the stuff that was done overall was a little bit better for me. So I'm going to do seven. Buffalo Karens.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm I'm kind of right there with you. This is this was not a bad movie. Was this a great movie? No? Was this a terrible movie. Absolutely not, it was. I think it was very pretty. Obviously you're looking at some of this gorgeous land and mountains and everything. Again, I thought Simon Baker was I was just watching this kid, and I just said, it's this. Oh, people are now Oh. One of our producers asking was it better than Double Teamed? Yes? It was. Yes, it was better than as a movie. This was better than Double Teamed. It was You've got twenty eight year olds playing twelve year old and then lines like how do you tell them apart they're different people? Uh? Yes, so I I yes, I would say this is probably right. I'm gonna I'm also gonna give it seven u uh Buffalo Karents because I also I like, I think one of Disney's jobs, frankly, is bringing cultures that other kids might not be exposed to to them to their house. And that's I think one of the things Disney's wonderful. Now this there's a lot of people that will argue is a swing and a miss in this movie sense, because they didn't do justice to the novelo culture. So that's not a good thing.
Speaker 2: But is it fair for them to bring it into their world at least to be interested and then maybe they do their own.
Speaker 1: They do the research exactly. That's what I'm saying. So I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I don't I didn't take this movie though for Disney trying to do like an educational experience. I think they were trying to just kind of tap into, like you said, bringing a new sense of culture into the world. This is before Twilight, Okay, this is before a lot of the like what was you know, big movies and really did it big for this generation? Right, So it's just a kind of tap into it for kids and then if they're loving it, then they're going, oh, I want to look into it more. So Yeah, no, I don't blame Disney. You know, do should they have maybe done a little bit more research?
Speaker 1: Oh yes, of course, yes, absolutely.
Speaker 2: But I don't think it was an educational yeah moment for them that they were trying to do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was, it was, I agree, and I liked.
Speaker 2: I liked that.
Speaker 1: I liked I think that's an important aspect of d coms. Is is something that kids maybe wouldn't be exposed to. So I liked that. And we also got a chance to talk to Simon Baker about his role in this movie. I was so excited because, like I said, this guy just jumps off the screen. We had an awesome conversation. Take listen to a clip.
Speaker 4: When we were up there that was pro vo falls, and then when we were doing the actual jump. You know, I'm going to break it down and ruin it for everyone, but.
Speaker 1: That's okay, it's movie magic. We know it's movie magic.
Speaker 4: But we went to this big Olympic pool and we you know, jumped off of this big diving board and so.
Speaker 2: That killed it a little bit, thank killed me a little bit.
Speaker 1: Oh, it was such a fun talk. So make sure you go and check that out. I promise you it is worth it. So our next movie, though, will be the two thousand and three fantasy comedy You Wish. And I'm saying it like that because yes, it has an exclamation point. That's always a good sign. It is viewable now on Disney Plus, so watch it in good health and get ahead start on us, and remember everybody to subscribe to our Magical Rewind feed because you don't want to miss that one. Just search Magical Rewind wherever you get your podcasts and check out all of the interviews we do over there, and for more info about us and Sabrina and all the cool stuff, you can follow us at Magical rewind Pod on the Instagram machine. Right now, bye everybody.
Speaker 2: M