Speaker 1: Also media.
Speaker 2: Hey everybody, Robert Evans here, and I wanted to let you know this is a compilation episode. So every episode of the week that just happened is here in one convenient and with somewhat less ads package for you to listen to in a long stretch if you want. If you've been listening to the episodes every day this week, there's going to be nothing new here for you, but you can make your own decisions.
Speaker 3: Welcome to it could happen here, a show that is sometimes about surveillance, digital privacy, in all the ways that little black rectangle you keep in your pocket could be used against you. I'm Garrison Davis. Today I am joined by Cooper Quentin, a security researcher and senior public interest technologist at the EFF or the Electronic Frontier Foundation.
Speaker 4: Cooper, Hello, Hey, Garris, I'm happy to be here again.
Speaker 5: Yes, always happy to have you on.
Speaker 3: And you will be especially useful today because we're going to be talking about geo fencing because last week the Supreme Court ruled that geofencing qualifies as a search under the Fourth Amendment. Now, before we get into what that means and why it's important, all.
Speaker 4: Very normal terms explicitly and understands.
Speaker 3: Before we do that, let's start to define some of our terms here, starting off with what is geo fencing.
Speaker 6: Yeah, So the geofence warrants, which are what this case is about, are warrants to a tech company, usually Google, that say, give us all of the identity account ideas that had phones in this set of geographic coordinates and this time period. So they send that to Google. Google sends back a list of all of the accounts they know. I'm usually anonymized at first, but that were in that you know, geographic square from you know, I'm a to time be This.
Speaker 4: Is actually not something that Google does anymore.
Speaker 6: They've recently taken steps to no longer technically be able to respond to these warrants, which is a rare w for Google.
Speaker 4: But that is a geofence warrant. That's what's at the heart of.
Speaker 3: That, Yeah, I mean, And the goal is essentially to identify what phones and by extension, which people were present around the time a crime was committed to narrow down a suspect from a very large pool of just random people in an area.
Speaker 4: Yes, exactly exactly.
Speaker 6: So there's a couple of ways you can think about this, right, if there was a protest and you want us to know their identities of all the protesters, you could get a geofence warrant for the area of that protest for the time of the protest. Or if there was a bank robbery which happens here, right, you get a geofence warrant for two locations you think the bank robber might have been in, and then you are able to narrow it down from the you know which identities show up in both places, right, and those that's your list of primary suspects.
Speaker 3: So the reason why we're talking about this today is because on Monday, June twenty ninth, in a six' to three, ruling The Supreme court found that police getting access to location data through a geofence does constitute a quote unquote search under The Fourth. Amendment and this this finding could have really big impacts on digital privacy. Rights the fact that geofencing is A Fourth amendment search means that the practice of geofencing is subject To Fourth amen restrictions and. Protections, now there's also been some, people i, think maybe exaggerating certain aspects of this, ruling because The court did not rule that geofence warrants are themselves, unreasonable just like in. General that's, Right that question is still is still going to be determined by The Fourth. Circuit but what the court did find here also should not be minimized or it also is pretty. Significant to quote from the majority, quote an individual has a reasonable expectation of privacy in records about his self, phones, location and police intrude on that constitutionally protected interest when they demand the, information even though for only a limited time and from a third party tech company. Unquote, well we'll get into some of what that's referencing in terms of like third party tech companies. Later as you, mentioned this case does revolve around a bank, robbery AND i want to get into some of the context of this because it also will help understand sort of the ongoing case regarding the specific geofense warrant that was. Used, so in twenty, nineteen someone made off with almost two hundred thousand dollars from a credit union and this suspect was seen on their phone prior to the. Robbery so police Asked google to hand over the location data for all cell phones or the devices in a one hundred and fifty meters radius around the bank within an hour of that. Robbery nineteen anonymous users were first. Identified police then narrow that down to nine users who they got more information from From. Google they tracked their location for a longer period of time before police then requested personally identifying information on three, users which they then used to arrest the. Suspect so the suspect eventually pleaded, guilty but it was like a conditional plate because they were still challenging the evidence that was obtained through the geofense, warrant citing A Fourth amendment violation arguing that the warrant authorizing the location data search was, invalid and this claim made its way through the district, court to the appeals court to The Supreme, Court and we'll get into that in a. Bit you already laid out some of the details of the specific like geofense warrant that was. Used it has this three step. Process first this big, pool then a smaller, pool and then personal identifying information on the smallest. Pool one thing that is really interesting to me is that the process for setting up this warrant was set up with the help Of. Google they like worked together to make this process back when this was still like an emerging investigative avenue like, five, six seven years.
Speaker 4: Ago, yeah that's.
Speaker 3: Right and, also as you've, Mentioned google's location history feature operates differently now the information that is being collected is stored on the user's. Phone, yeah they don't have the same type of access that they had back in twenty nineteen in which this case.
Speaker 4: Emerges that's.
Speaker 6: Right they are no longer able to respond to geofense, warrants which is. Great this does not mean they can't respond to other types of, warrants and this doesn't mean that other companies won't respond to offense.
Speaker 5: Warrants, YEAH i.
Speaker 3: Guess do you want to discuss a few of the different ways in which location data is?
Speaker 5: Collected, yeah.
Speaker 6: Certainly so there's there's a couple of. Ways, LET'S i guess sandbox this entirely just to cell phone location because we don't want to go off on attention about licensed plate readers or other no tracking. Mechanisms but one of the big ways that that people have been that's kind of been on people's minds lately is advertising location. Data so this is like the product, weblock which is owned by this, company Pen, link WHICH i recently bought a contract with and several other force law enforcement agency to buy contract. With The Citizen lab just put out a pretty great report about.
Speaker 4: Them but the way that they get their.
Speaker 6: Data is through a combination of advertising APIs from. Applications, basically so when an application on their phone wants to show AN, ad first it sends a request to what's called a real time bidding, database and it sends a request with a unique idea for your phone called a mobile AD id or, made and some information about you which can include your. Location and then, companies any random, Company you OR i could set up a company to sit up these real time bidding centers and just kind of gather all the data and never make any bids or that, data never spend any, money just gather all that data of pairing people's mobile advertising idies whilst they're location. Information and this is exactly what weblock. Does so what they do is they sell this information to. Police police can then you, know buy access to this. Information and this is another thing that gets confused with geofencing a, lot but it's a different type of. Geofencing they can sort of draw a circle around a specific area and weblock will show them all of the information they have about phones that have been in that area recently or during a specific time.
Speaker 4: Period and that's not a geofence.
Speaker 6: Warrant that is a geofence search of a, database which which is essentially the same Thing google is doing on the back. End but there's no warrant involved in this. Case but that's a very that's a very common method of.
Speaker 7: Tracking the other, way the other way that they get data is just through code that they be in certain ad libraries that will get them that data sort of the same way about without going through the real time bidding.
Speaker 4: Process but it's still data being given to.
Speaker 6: Them basically by ad libraries that they pay a bit of money for to the ad company or.
Speaker 3: Whatever in a little, bit we'll discuss some of the implications of The Supreme court's, findings specifically all like the third party. Doctrine but do you think that there's a possibility that the ruling in this case might be able to be used to put up challenges towards something like advertising location.
Speaker 5: Collection.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Again i'm not a.
Speaker 6: Lawyer legal strategy is quite outside my general domain of, expertise but it certainly seems to me like there should be an opening, here.
Speaker 4: The big loophole that law enforcement has been.
Speaker 6: Exploiting, wellefully we call it the data broker, loophole, Right, yeah has been a the problem for a. While there was a bill called The Fourth Amendment Is not For Sale. Act it passed The house and then died in The. Senate, unfortunately it was proposed By Senator Ron wyden in twenty twenty. One that wasn't attempt to close this. Loophole but given the wording of the of the opinion, here you, know specifically around people's location data being very very much private, data you, KNOW i think that there's a reasonable argument to bring a case to The Supreme court about the sale.
Speaker 4: Specifically of cellular location.
Speaker 5: Data, yeah because they did rule.
Speaker 6: That the third party doctrine which we can get into does not apply to cellular location. Data so THAT'S i, MEAN i think that's a pretty big point in favor of shutting down the loophole for location, data for it would not shut down the loophole for other.
Speaker 3: Data but, yeah it is frustrating how we have to kind of take this one step at a, time and that's that is a sort of frustration that actually The Supreme court.
Speaker 4: Voiced, yeah reformism is Rough.
Speaker 3: Man, this like case by case app by app, approach does not actually make very much. Sense before we get into, that let's go back to the bank robbers initial initial challenge based on The Fourth. Amendment so a district court did agree that the search violent of The Fourth, amendment but it did not actually block the data from being permitted as, evidence because the court found that the police officer's reliance on the data was not quote unquote objectively, unreasonable allowing the quote good faith exemption to the exclusionary rule. Unquote this is basically because the technology was still new and because there was few leads in this, case the district court found that the officer's use of this was not necessarily, unreasonable so they have this good faith, exemption which which could become a problem later or might, not we'll.
Speaker 5: See.
Speaker 3: Now this was appealed to The Fourth, circuit who went back and forth a, bit initially ruling to one that the geofense did not even qualify as a, search so a warrant wasn't needed in the first. Place, now one judge dissented from, this arguing that the warrant issued was quote so lacking in particularity and probable cause that it was invalid. Unquote, now this too could become important later. On the Full Fourth circuit penalryheard the case, again but were divided seven to, seven half ruling the warrant violated The Fourth, amendment but most justices still found that the exclusionary rules good faith exception applied in this, case and that then leads us back to the Supreame, court and the ruling Last monday only actually covers The Fourth amendment aspect of the. Case they're not ruling on the good faith. Exemption and the fourth question itself is split into two. Issues did the police conduct a search under The Fourth amendment by.
Speaker 5: Acquiring location data From?
Speaker 3: Google and, second did the multi step geofense warrant issued in this? Case did that warrant make this search? Unreasonable, now the court only answered this first question did it actually qualify as a, search and handed off the second part of the question to The Fourth Circuit court Of, appeals who will then also rule on the good faith exemption aspect of this. Case to quote the majority, quote we leave it to The court Of. Appeals the further question, whether given the warrant, issued the search here was, reasonable meaning that each of its steps was properly described with particularity and found to be supported by probable cause, unquote just as taking the rights out instructions for The Fourth, circuit most of which relate just to The Fourth amendment, itself saying that The Fourth amendment protect against qute, unquote the unreasonable search and seizures of, persons, houses, papers and affec, x and requires that warrants may only be issued upon probable cause and must particularly describe quote the place to be searched and the persons or things to be seized. Unquote and this particularly requirement's going to be a big part of this of this case going, forward because to issue a, warrant a judge must determine if there's quote unquote fair probability that the evidence of a crime would be, found and that the search is of an appropriate. Scope this is quoting from the majority again quote that it's carefully tailored to its justifications and will not take on the character of the wide ranging exploratory searches that the framers intended to prohibit. Unquote and this is the specific key issue with these geofense, warrants the fact that they cast this large dragnet over just everyone in a certain area at a certain.
Speaker 5: Time that's.
Speaker 6: Right you're basically, searching you, know potentially hundred is potentially thousands of, people right if you imagine a geofense warrant In downpenn meant at or, something right, like you're treating everyone as a suspect right off the. Bat and THAT'S i, mean that's the problem with any any sort of mass, surveillance any sort of dragging that. Surveillance but that's exactly what this. Is and SO i, mean this is this is a good ruling by The Supreme. Court, Right it's not, perfect but it's surprisingly good given This supreme.
Speaker 3: Courtance, now a lot of this ruling is based on a previous, ruling where it's built on a previous ruling from twenty, eighteen this case Called carpenter. V United, states which was also a very important ruling that have affected the way police can gain access to cell phone location history through cell site.
Speaker 6: Towers, yeah so So carvener ruled that police required them weren't to get cell site location, information specifically historic cell site location INFORMATION csli is the recording for THAT csli is basically the police go to a phone company and say tell us who was connected to these towers at this?
Speaker 4: Time, right tell us what towers this phone connected?
Speaker 6: To and the core rule that that was essentially equivalent to putting a ankle monitor was their specific. Language yeah one everybody in THE, us right that that was that find ring location. Data and so they ruled that you needed a warrant to get that location, data which was a really excellent. Ruling this case was brought to The court on the basis of That Carpenter versus The United states, ruling and this reaffirmed and. Expanded the big difference was that the information That bloonbardment had gotten from the phone companies in this case covered a larger amount of, people but The chattree case covered a much smaller area and a much smaller amount of. People but The court decided that this ruling still applied even in the smaller, case which is. Great it's you, know really it's it's narrowing it, down, right which is how The Supreme court.
Speaker 4: Works. Right you get a broad ruling that then.
Speaker 6: Sort of exceptions to that, rule and like you, know the limits of that end up being, tested which brings us back to what we were saying, Before, Right, so like the next. THING i think the next thing to test is does this that's the spring POINT i think this ruling applies to purchased. Data, yeah it seems like maybe they hinted that a little, bit but it's you, know it won't be clear until somebody actually brings that case to The Supreme.
Speaker 3: Court one of the most promising sentences in the ruling, is, quote a new technology should not transform what individuals had reasonably thought they could withhold from the. Government, yeah AND i mean that sort of reasoning, Then and there's there's actually a lot of it throughout the majorities of. Ruling but like there's there's a lot of sentences like that that could that could be really really useful going. Forward, Yeah and like you, know a carpenter was itself based on another surveillance case called The United states Versus, jones which covered another method of tracking physical location on, movements and this was through using A gps to monitor a, vehicle, Right and that was a five four, ruling so very. Close but in that, case the court found THAT gps tracking does qualify as The Fourth amendment search because quote, unquote individuals have a reasonable expectation of privacy in the whole of their physical, movements, Right and essentially because of how difficult it was to at the time secretly monitor and track the movements of a, vehicle including on and off public, roads so including on private. Roads, yep it was then reasonable to expect a certain level of privacy because of how difficult this. Was but upon the proliferation OF gps, trackers the ease in which this type of government surveillance could be, achieved you, know changed. Dramatically and that's the context in Which Justice keigan is writing this sentence that a new technology to not transform what individuals had reasonably thought they could withhold from the.
Speaker 6: Government, yeah that's, Right AND i MEAN i think that that's a that's a really important sense for a lot of.
Speaker 4: Things.
Speaker 6: Right that's an important sentence for the fight against liceless slate readers and And block and the you, know other companies in that. Industry that's an important sentence for cellular location.
Speaker 4: Information. Right like this is a great, ruling, right but it leaves open.
Speaker 6: The whole, issue LIKE i was, saying of you, know being able to buy surveillance, information, right and like that's what enables licensed plate, Readers that's what enables companies that surveil social. Media that's what enables tools like weblock that sell location information from ad, tech, Right and it does seem like they are they are hinting that maybe they you, know that they are ready to rule on. That to, me it's a very it's it's a very self apparent, argument right that that just because locally bought something doesn't mean they should get around the.
Speaker 4: Warrant the terrible part of this is, that you, know we will.
Speaker 6: Probably have to argue in technology in its own rights unless you, know we had a Functioning congress and.
Speaker 3: Well they were able to pass very Popular let's not get too. Ridiculous let's not, Right let's keep things grounded in reality.
Speaker 6: Here, yeah, Yeah i'm Gonna i'm gonna hope for more realistic goals like totally.
Speaker 3: Anarchy, NO i mean, absolutely it would be great to see some of this stuff just be. Enshrined but there is there's a lot to look forward to considering this, ruling AND i think to that, point before we, close let's talk about the third party doctrine, specifically what is the third party?
Speaker 6: Doctrine so the third party doctrine is a doctrine in THE us law that states that people don't have a reasonable expectation of privacy in information that they've given to a third, party such as a phone company or a bank or a tech.
Speaker 4: Company. Yeah, essentially this is how historically law.
Speaker 6: Enforcement has gotten information from bone companies or from, banks et.
Speaker 4: Cetera are tech companies without or. Warrant and the heart of this ruling is that.
Speaker 6: The justice has said that cellular location data being the equivalent total surveillance to that of an inkle.
Speaker 4: Monitor, yeah the third party doctrine does not apply to cellular location.
Speaker 3: Data, yeah, because like the third party doction was set up specifically in reference, to like the types of financial information that you will hand over to a, bank right to do business at the, bank or by dialing a phone number the phone company that knows what the phone number. Is, right like those from the specific instances that established third party, doctrine and a third production was not applied In carpenter. V, us and So kagan wrote that for the very same reasons it should not be applied to location history from tech, companies and even more, specifically because the types of information that location history From google had access to was even more intimate and fine tuned than what you could get from just picking a cell.
Speaker 6: Tower that's, right because the location information From google is based on not only YOUR, TPS i mean it is YOUR gps, location which is fairly, accurate but also the like triangulations of your location From Wi fi devices And bluetooth devices around. You whereas the location you get FROM, csli which was what was at issue In, carpenter is going to depend on how dense.
Speaker 4: Cell towers are in the area you're, in because it's just mathetical equation of like what your signal.
Speaker 6: Strength is to your nearest free cell, towers and you can kind of triangulate somebody to a broader area based on. That.
Speaker 3: Well AND i, mean and location history from From google at this point was you, know tracking people's movements like every two. Minutes, yeah and could operate on a longitude and latitudes like they could not only just figure out where you were on a, map but if you were in a, building what floor you were on that building like much a much a much more fine tuned to look.
Speaker 4: Right altitude as.
Speaker 8: Well.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah part of What carpenter found was that cell phone location information is quote unquote quantitatively different from telephone numbers and bank. Records, yes and so because of that, finding they applied that same logic to this. Case AND i want to read through kind of two paragraphs that is similar to the line about how you know people's expectation of privacy should not be changed because of technological. DEVELOPMENTS i think there's two lines here that that could become really important going forward in terms of how we understand like even just the notion of digital. Privacy, quote cell phone location information is not truly shared as one normally understands the, term because cell phones and the services they provide are such a pervasive and insistent part of daily, life indispensable to participation in modern, society that a person could hardly help but generate a trail of location data in no meaningful. Sense the court, thought does that mean the person voluntarily exposes to any third party a comprehensive dossier of his physical?
Speaker 8: Movements, yeah so.
Speaker 3: That's just as keke and kind of combining the analysis for this specific case with the analysis For. Carpenter and then she goes on to, write, quote the government's app by app feature by future method of Granting Fourth amendment protections misapprehends the very nature of modern cell phone. Use pretty much everything a person does on a smartphone requires some kind of opt. In the point of carrying cell phones is to use what's on, them As carpenter, said to use the apps and the services they. Provide that is what has become a pervasive and, insistent even indispensable part of daily. Life and so that is What carpenter insulated from the third party.
Speaker 5: Doctrine, yeah my.
Speaker 6: Short term memory is, Terrible So i've forgotten the exact, wording but the part where she's addressing how piecemeal it, is, right and how like She's, yeah this applies to all, Apps this applies to all uses of this location.
Speaker 4: Data never shall this be subject to the third party, doctrin.
Speaker 6: RIGHT i think that that is pretty damning or companies that are currently selling THE stata too law ENCORES i should be pretty damning.
Speaker 3: Anyway, yeah and like the idea that through simply using these, devices which are now necessary from our, life using these does not mean that we're voluntarily giving this data over to companies and by, extension the. Government they don't just have free access to it because we are using the things that are necessary for daily. Life if they want access to, it they have to go through the proper channels which are laid out in The Fourth. Amendment, yes you have to get a warrant at, Least, yes and so to close talk about kind of what this could mean going, forward, right because the question of whether the particular geofense weren't used in this bank robbery, case if that was reasonable or, unreasonable now goes to The Fourth, circuit who will determine if probable cause was established to support the scope of the, search and if the warrant satisfied the particularity. Requirements considering the fact that it cast a broad dragnet over a whole area rather than being you, know fine tuned to a specific suspect or even a group of. Suspects kagan wrote of the, warrant, quote how the officers would make their choices at the second and third, steps how they would pick the user's subject to more intense, Scrutiny the warrant said very, little. Unquote this is kind of part of like the instructions in which they are writing to The Fourth. Circuit, now the, suspect the bank robber suspect compared the geofense warrant to a quote unquote unconstitutional general warrant lacking and probable, cause with steps two and three of the warrant leaving quote too much authority to police officers and too little to the magistrate. Unquote so what that's saying is that in this like three step, warrant when the police are able to determine who in the broad pool of people caught in the drag net who to investigate, further that choice was just up to police. Officers that question was not laid out in front of a. JUDGE a judge did not authorize.
Speaker 4: That aspect of the.
Speaker 3: Search that was just up to the discretion of. Officers that is part of his argument that this was a constitutional. Violation, now of course that's not the government's, tick. Right the government claims that the information was quote unquote particularized information From google's, database based on probable cause to believe That google had the information that would help solve a. Crime they also argue that the discretion given to officers in the execution of steps two and three of the warrant fell within the bounds of. Reasonableness, so going, forward when The Fourth circuit rules on the reasonableness or unreasonableness of this, warrant they will also consider what The District court and The Fourth circuit themselves have previously ruled on they will reconsider the quote unquote good faith.
Speaker 6: Exemption, yeah the good face exception is a doctrine in THE us law that allows, generally evidence obtained without a warrant is an admissible in. Court the good faith exception allows for evidence which was obtained with a faulty warrant where the law enforcement agents had reasonable constable believe that it was a valid warrant and they they thought they were obtaining a lot of evidence would have in good faith with a valid, warrant that that evidence can still be admissible in court even if the warrant is found to be. Invalid so that's what they're that's what they'll be evaluating in this. Case and THEN i, mean that's what they've already decided, on and we'll have to decide on. Again, yeah even if this warrant is invalid or even if this data is, invalid because the second and third step didn't have a warrant associated with, them and this still be admissible in his case under good base.
Speaker 3: Exception and The Supreme court does have like instructions for how how they want the force circuits to reevaluate that, question knowing that they've already ruled on it, before but they are instructing them based, on you, know the legal opinion that is outlined in the, majority that they do have to reapproach this question with these new insights from The Supreme. Court there, is you, know evidence that rulings like this have impacted the way police operates, surveillance specifically by collecting information from like cell. Towers you are kind of the the expert in cell site, simulators and THERE'S i think reason to believe that The carpenter ruling also affected the way that cell site simulators were, used just by it not being the particular focus of that, ruling if you want to kind of as a very ending, note kind of discussed the rayhunter, project and you know how some previous rulings have like impacted the way that that type of surveillance has kind of fallen out of.
Speaker 5: Fashion, yeah for.
Speaker 6: Sure SO solfi simulator is also known as stingrays or. Mccatchers these are face cell towers that police set up to locate a specific person's cell phone OR i should say a specific cell phone which is often associated with a specific person with.
Speaker 4: A very, fine granular level of.
Speaker 6: Detail at the FF i and some of my colleagues have created a product called Rat hunter to get an idea of how often cell side simulators were.
Speaker 4: Being used in THE.
Speaker 6: Us, specifically what we were concerned about was that law enforcement could use a cell side simulator to spy on and identify the people present At First amendment protected, Activities so find out who is at a, protest find out who is going to an abortion, clinic find out who is showing up at a.
Speaker 4: Mosque, Right so that was the big concern we, had.
Speaker 6: Was that they were being used for that instead of or what police said they were using them, for which is man punts, basically or you, know identifying that somebody is in a specific location BEFORE spat team does a raid on that. House so for the last year or, so we've had hundreds of people all over the country bringing these devices around with them to protests and just you, know as they go about their daily lives to find out sort of what the lay of the land is and how often these are being.
Speaker 4: Used and the.
Speaker 6: Reasoning for this is that we were getting the impression that a lot of activists seem to have the impression that cell size emulators were being used at every, protest and that police were driving around with one of meds in every, car, Right and there was a lot OF i, think fear and uncertainty and doubt and sort of ope wisdom and misinformation going.
Speaker 4: Around so we wanted to be able to get some real facts on the ground to clear it.
Speaker 6: Up and so over the last, year what we've seen is we have seen evidence of cell size stimulators.
Speaker 4: Occasionally what we have not seen is a preponderance of. Them from what we're, seeing they're.
Speaker 6: Not being used constantly all the time, everywhere, Right they're being used much more rarely than most people.
Speaker 4: Think and we haven't seen really hardly any evidence of them being used at.
Speaker 6: Protests what we've seen is them being used kind of sometimes around major. Cities we've seen them being used outside THE us a, bit but inside THE, us we have not seen.
Speaker 4: Them being used for sort of the mass surveillance reason that we've.
Speaker 6: Feared that has been backed up by looking at the warrants for CeAl sizing leators that we've been able to get access, to been backed up by talking to people who are close with law enforcement and who you know who understand kind of how law enforcement is actually using.
Speaker 4: These what we're hearing and what we're, seeing the sort of evidence of is.
Speaker 6: That cell sizingulators are being used with warrants now Because lawns went by and large thinks that The carpenter ruling does apply to cell size simulators because that is cell site location.
Speaker 5: Information it's the same type of.
Speaker 6: Data it is the same exact type of, data, right and so it makes sense that a warrant should apply to that as. Well before when they figured a warrant didn't apply to, this right BECAUSE i don't, KNOW i don't know what the mental gymnastics were, there. RIGHT i think it's possible that these were used a lot. More but now it seems like most lawfirm agencies have from the conclusion that the federal government has come to a conclusion that this technology does require a warrant and that it's more useful or locating a specific person than identifying people in a specific. AREA i, think in addition to the, warrants it makes technical sense because if you want to find the people who are in a specific, area site stimulator is a, expensive, cumbersome complicated tool for doing. That when the alternatives are sending a geofence more.
Speaker 5: To, google Asking google just to tell, me, yeah.
Speaker 6: Asking google to tell you for apting the phone, company or a tower, dump getting a warrant for a tower, dump which is where you ask them to tell you everybody that was connected to.
Speaker 4: A specific, tower, yeah at a specific period of. Time that is something that is not addressed by any of These tower dumps are.
Speaker 6: Still a thing you can get with a, warrant, Right so that's that's an, Option and then of course all of the other methods of non cell phone based, surveillance, right face recognition is an.
Speaker 4: Option license pre readers are an.
Speaker 6: Option, Right, so there are so many easier ways to get the identities of everybody in a specific.
Speaker 4: Area it doesn't make sense to use the stimulators for. That and that's what we're.
Speaker 6: Seeing it seems like what we're being used for a vast majority of things is identifying that a specific person is in a specific house before a no knock rate is. Executed no knock rans are highly. PROBLEMATIC i am not a fan of the spat. Teams there's a lot of issues. There but if they're going to, happen LIKE i, guess, yeah, like let's let's make sure we're rating their right house so they can be sure of which dogs they're killing before.
Speaker 3: They, YEAH i, mean swatting has become a huge harassment tool for people just to deploy against someone that they don't like or an influencer that they find.
Speaker 5: Annoying and that is a real issue as.
Speaker 6: Well solifinny thing leaders are not the biggest issue, there, right the, yeah existence of swat teams and how liberally they're used is the much bigger.
Speaker 4: ISSUE i.
Speaker 3: Think so based on How carpenter seemingly affected the police's reticence to use cell site, SIMULATORS i, think like we've, discussed there's hope that this new ruling might also be able to be applied to some other surveillance methods that that will only really become clear over. Time there's there's one particular That i'm also interested, in is like keyword, warrants where police will just ask a tech company to like get information on all users who typed a specific thing into a search, bar, right, Right and so there's aspects of this recent ruling that could possibly apply to something like that as. Well but you, know Despite kagan's annoyance at the you, know apt by app way in Which Fourth amendment protections are. Granted organizations like legal rights organizations including like THE ff you, know might still have to kind of approach this from an f by app basis to get like confirmation that these things are subject to The Fourth. Amendment so it's something that we will see over time.
Speaker 6: Until and unless we can get comprehensive federal privacy, law which again is Not i'm Not i'm not holding out hope For congress to pass any privacy bills anytime anytime, soon.
Speaker 3: Not the immediate, future but we could hope one, day, Right and that is a real, thing same thing with like data. Centers this is something THAT i think people should try to build a mass movement.
Speaker 5: Around.
Speaker 4: Yeah, absolutely it is happening to some.
Speaker 6: Degrees at the state, level, Right california has a pretty good privacy. Law it's not, perfect but it's certainly better than the non existent federal. Ones montana became the first state to close the loophole allowing law enforcement to buy data from the third.
Speaker 4: Parties, Right so it's it's there.
Speaker 6: Is hope that at least at the state, level we can try to start closing these, loopholes you, know as a band aid until the federal government maybe steps up in four to eight to twenty.
Speaker 5: Years you, know we'll take.
Speaker 3: That you know it is it is very rare to have and it could happen here episode that ends with, uh there is some.
Speaker 6: Hope in, general it's very rare to have a conversation with me that ends with any of the true at all so.
Speaker 3: True, No i'm, Sure, Yeah i'm sure we can have you want to talk about pegasyst to bumbas alow to get at some.
Speaker 4: Point, ABSOLUTELY i have many ways to buy you.
Speaker 3: Out but where can people find your work online if they want to hear more about Ray hunter and all the research you do at e F. F.
Speaker 4: Yeah you can find me At Blue. Sky i'm at kuper q dot com On Blue sky Or.
Speaker 6: Mastodon if you're that flavor Of linux, nerd you can find me at trooper q At masto Dot packers dot town on, mastdon or you can find me at E ff dot org of, course WHERE i publish all of my writings and that we highly recommend checking out our surveillance self defense guides at S sd DOT ff dot. Org we have the pretty much the, longest the longest continuously updated technical self defense guides that have ever, existed.
Speaker 4: And they're they're really really excellent. RESOURCE i think they're my favorite resource that we put. Out so go check those out as.
Speaker 5: Well thank, you thank. You turn off your.
Speaker 1: Phone, hello go, on and welcome to it could happen. Here my name Is dan Al kurd And i'm a researcher and analyst Of arab And palstin in. Politics TODAY i want to talk about, football, soccer, whatever And i'll just start by, saying, OBVIOUSLY fifa is a, terrible terrible organization and while there are many heartwarming events in This World, cup The World cup gets, me gets a lot of. Us despite, everything there have also been egregious incidents against players and referees and fans from the Global. South take for, example what happened to The somali referee who wasn't allowed to come into THE us to do his. Job he was kept hours and hours in the airport before being unceremoniously returned To. Somalia, similarly the head of The Palestine Football association was denied a visa in to The United, states not allowed to come to The World cup ON us. Soil this is in spite of the fact THAT fifa invited association heads from around the world to, attend and he did attend the opening game In Mexico. City or one of the worst, incidents if you can call it, that the way that The iranian team has been. Treated they weren't allowed to stay in THE us despite the games they were playing in this, country were constantly made to fly back To mexico after every. Game clearly they were put at a severe disadvantage because they weren't allowed to rest and recuperate like the other. Teams and, Listen i'm not going to say it as a, conspiracy but having not won but three goals discounted by var eventually leading to their elimination from the, tournament just adds insult to. Injury but LIKE i, said of, course there are many heartwarming. Stories for me as A, palestinian it's been great to see how Much palestine keeps popping. Up despite the fact that the environment in The United states is much more hostile on this issue than the Last World, cup people are still talking About palestine and advocating For. Palestine thousands Of bosnian, supporters for, example Turned toronto into a sea of blue as they marched towards the stadium for The canada, match Chanting Free, palestine and they did that in a number of Places, Englewood. Seattle they also Chanted palestine within the stadiums in multiple. Games at That canada, game activists also on fold a Kick israel out OF fifa banner and it makes sense really when you understand the experience Of bosnians with genocide themselves not too long. Ago, Similarly moroccan fans Held palestinian flags or Wore morocco jerseys with the Word palestine on, it and this showed up ON. Tv at the very opening match In Mexico, city Pro palestine demonstrators gathered to form a giant Human palestinian, flag And South korean fans Brought palestinian flags to the, tournament honoring a promise they made during their qualifying when their fans had, chanted will Take palestine to The World cup with us In. Gaza palestinians are watching the games. Too spain is the favorite team these days because of the government's position on The Israel palestinian conflict and because of superstar Player Lamg, jamal who has been unapologetically Pro. Palestine, obviously the genocide that has unfolded and go and the war in killing that continues in The Middle east in both occupy territories and In lebanon are part of the reason why this issue seems to be ever. Present but it didn't start with the. Genocide the story Of palestine at The World cup is more layer than, that and the twenty twenty Two World cup In kutar was a good demonstration of Why palestine keeps popping up and What palestine represents to, fans especially air ones then and everyone. NOW i know it might seem strange to be talking about this now a few years after the, fact But i've been thinking about it a, lot especially given everything that has unfolded, since AND i think The World cup moment is one of those events that gets more, interesting not, less as time passes back then as it does. Now it's showing us something, important not just About, palestine but about the limits of what governments can actually control when it comes to what their own people. Believe so let's get into. It palestine did not qualify for the twenty twenty Two World, cup The palastinian national football team was nowhere Near doha in an official, capacity and yet arabs from across the region and across the world began referring To palestine then as the thirty third, team Because palestine was everywhere at the twenty twenty Two World. Cup there Were palestinian flags draped over shoulders and. Stadiums crowds erupted into the chance Of, maltani The palestinian. Anthem After arab teams, won One tunisian fan ran onto the pitch mid match for The palestinian, flag and When morocco pulled off their historic upset Against spain so it's the First african And arab team to ever reach the semi finals of A World, Cup moroccan players ran to the crowd and held up The palestinian.
Speaker 9: Flag this was.
Speaker 1: Significant morocco had just signed The Abraham accords With israel only two years prior to this, game and their players didn't seem to. Care israeli journalists who traveled To kata to cover the tournament reported being coldly, received, followed and in some cases physically shut out of interviews by crowds Of arab. Fans some of these reporters were caught on camera claiming to be from other countries Like france Or switzerland in order to get people to talk to, them some of them masked their logos from their. Stations israeli media at the time expressed something between confusion and. Outrage one reporter, remarked And i'm paraphrasing, here but he basically said that the hostility wasn't just coming from governments as they had, assumed it was coming from ordinary. People and this surprised, them but it shouldn't have. Now none of this was purely. Spontaneous that's the part of the STORY i find most interesting and the part that gets maybe the least. Attention months before The World cup, began A quatari activist group Called Qatara youth opposed a normalization qayo n started. Planning they were founded in twenty eleven and by twenty twenty, two led predominantly By quatteri, women they had been working for over a decade to push back Against klatar's slow drift towards normalizing ties With, israel which is something The quatari government had been, entertaining largely under pressure from The United states and from its goal of neighbors and in a country where over eighty percent of people a post normalization With. Israel this, Organization Quartari youth had a, base but they had to work carefully because have unsanctioned civil society. Organizations there's all sorts of restrictions on independent, activism extremely severe. Anflutha but they saw The World cup as a, window an opportunity to turn what already, existed which was, deep widespread popular solidarity With, palestine into something, visible coordinated and impossible to. Ignore so they got to. Work they Persuaded kato's national team captain to wear A kafia patterned armband before the opening, match and then there was this hashtag the captain's armband Is, palestinian which started trending On Arabic. Twitter they reached out To quatari, influencers from prominent journalists who amplified the campaign across social, media and they called on local businesses to display signs that they were compliant with the, boycott the investment sanctions. Movement they also ran a kind of counterintelligence operation Against israeli, media because they were the ones that began Identifying israeli journalists and their logos on social, media flagging them so That arab fans at the tournament knew who to. Avoid and this is how those videos Of israeli broadcasters being turned away kept appearing. Online they also organized fans to chant For palisin at the forty eighth minute of every. Match that's not. Random that's a reference to nineteen forty eight and to The nekba where close To William Past indians were expelled from their homes with the founding Of Israeli. State key members Of katarith said the goal was to Turn arab fans from sympathizers into, participants and they were honest about something else. Too this only worked because the ground was already. Ready as they put, it the campaign would not have succeeded had it not been for people's own proactive support of The palestini. Cause and that's worth sitting with for a. Moment the organizing, mattered the strategy, Mattered but the reason it's spread so quickly so far is that there was already a fire. There katariuth just lit the.
Speaker 6: Match.
Speaker 1: Now to understand why people were so, upset you have to understand the abraham of. Courts i've talked about it on this podcast. Before the normalization agreements broken by The trumpet ministation in twenty twenty Between israel and THE uae The United Air emirates In bahrain and Later sudan And. Morocco these deals were sold as historic, breakthroughs as a new era of, peace and in terms of official diplomatic, relations they were. Breakthroughs they were, historic but there was a. Problem nobody asked the, people and these accords didn't solve.
Speaker 4: Anything.
Speaker 1: Now air public opinion surveys have consistently shown that the vast majority Of arabs oppose normalization With israel absent a resolution to the question Of palestinian statehood and the ongoing, occupation and in the most recent polling before the, accords it was something like eighty eight percent Of arabs across thirteen countries that rejected normalization With, israel and nearly two thirds of those cited the occupation Of pasadian land as their. Reason only seven percent cited something like religious. Objections the fear had always been that if you normalize relations With israel without a resolution to The Israeli palasadian, Conflict israel would not have any reason to try and resolve the conflict or address the grievances Of, palestinians That israel perhaps would become more aggressive if the guardrails were. Off so what The Abrahamic cords actually. Did from the perspective of Ordinary, arabs was deep in the sense that their governments wouldn't listen to, them were willing to sell them, out sell out The palestinians for economic and security arrangements that disproportionately benefited ruling classes, anyway and THE us is really security. Architecture i've written about this, academically and WHAT i found is a kind of paradox at the heart of these so called peace. Deals peace initiatives that don't address the root causes of conflict don't actually create. Peace they create a different kind of, violence a structural, violence because they maintain the root causes of, conflict and they enable authoritarian practices by. Governments So israel shares a lot of tools, surveillance, technology propaganda, framework security, cooperation both material and discursive, tools and these have a way of turning up in the hands of governments for pressing their own. Citizens Now i'm not saying The United Arab emirates Or bahrain needed encouragement to repress their own, citizens but it's just another added, layer another way that the red lines, shift and new ways that these governments can attack their own citizens and their own. Activists for, example and about the activists involved in anti normalization. Activities after the accords became targets of surveillance, operations and people who spoke out about the deals faced travel. Bins In, bahrain civil society organizations were newly. Restricted the quote unquote peace came with the repressive apparatus baked, in which is exactly why when thousands Of arabs gathered and has public squares to watch The World. Cup the energy Around palestine wasn't some just like emotional, sentiment and it wasn't a. Relic it was. Fresh it was the anger of people who had just watched their governments make deals they never asked, for and deals that were used to oppress them and not solve the postaining. Issue there is a concept that academics and activists have used called sports. Normalization the idea is that, sports because they're presented as a political or maybe as, entertainment as a space above, politics they can be it used as a soft avenue for normalizing relationships that would be otherwise politically. Controversial israel has long pursued the. Strategy the logic, is If israel And arab athletes compete, together then this image of coexistence replaces the political reality of. Occupation you don't need any kind of solution or diplomatic. Agreement you just need enough footage of An israelian moroc and shaking hands on the pitch to make people feel like things are moving in a good. Direction got the youth were very explicit about targeting. This they hosted panels on sports. Normalization they released a statement pointing out That western political boycotts Of russia extended to sporting events after the invasion Of, ukraine and nobody then complained that sports were being mixed up with, politics and to, them the inconsistency was. Glaring that mixing sports with politics was apparently fine when it was about Sanctioning, russia admittedly very, appropriately but somehow inappropriate when it came To palestinian, rights and this double. Standard i've encountered it constantly in my, work the insistence that The pastadian cause is uniquely, problematic uniquely in need of being kept out of polite conversation or. Unreasonable this insistence falls apart the moment you compare it to any other conflict where The west has chosen a. Side, now The World cup made that visible in real time when The palasinian flag showed up in a stadium In. Doha it wasn't just a symbol of. Solidarity it was an. Argument it, said this issue is not. Resolved we have not moved. On it doesn't matter what The abraham records said or how many photo ops it's going to make any of this go.
Speaker 4: Away.
Speaker 1: NOW i want to dwell for a minute On, morocco full. Disclosure that's the TEAM i. SUPPORT i hope they go as far as. Possible But morocco is an interesting case AND i think it illuminates something about the limits of top down. Normalization LIKE i, said The moroccan government signed The Abraham, accords and the deal actually INCLUDED us recognition Of moroccan sovereignty Over Western, sahara Which morocco has long occupied itself a case of a people's right to self determination being traded away in this diplomatic agreement. Situation so it was a completely cynical arrangement all. Around and yet When morocco Beats spain and reached the semi, finals their players held up The palestinian. Flag When morocco Beat portugal and the streets of robot And casablanca, erupted The palstinian flag was there, too and fans In doha who had traveled from Across North africa and The Middle east were Wearing Palstenian kafia's chanting For. Palestine, now The moroccan government's deal With israel did not transfer to The moroccan. People and this is the key insight from The World, cup the one THAT i keep coming back to that governments can sign, papers but they can't really sign on behalf of public. Sentiment and these countries are not, democratic so any kind of push to do something like this seems like a betrayal to their own, citizens and they can't normalize what has not been normalized in the hearts and minds.
Speaker 4: Of their own.
Speaker 1: Citizens there is a kind of arrogance in The Abraham recurts. Framework the assumption is that if you get the right, signatures if you get the right photo op on The White house, lawn that the conflict can be ignored at that The palstinian cause can. Recede but The World cup was a direct refutation of that. Assumption Now i've been thinking about all of this in the context of everything that has happened since the side In, gaza the daily, images the death, tolls the wholesale destruction Of gazan, society and the ongoing question of what normalization means now and whether any of Those abraham courts frameworks can survive what the world has watched happen. NOW i do think it will. Survive these governments do not care about what happened In. Gaza but what it shows is that the fears around The abraham recurts were completely. Founded ignoring The israeli pacinating conflict would lead to an escalation in the. VIOLENCE i think The World's cup moment was a preview back in twenty twenty. Two it told us something about where Popular arab opinion actually, was not where governments claimed it, was and not Where western media assumed it, was but where it actually. Was and it showed us that organized strategic activism can channel that sentiment that something visible and politically costly for the forces of normalization. Now Kotar youth post A normalization was a small, group and they were operating under real restrictions in a country that doesn't allow independent civil, society and they still managed to turn a global sporting event into one of the most visible expressions Of pastenian solidarity in. Years and that matters not because a football, tournament a soccer, tournament is going to solve.
Speaker 4: Anything it.
Speaker 1: Doesn't palestinian families don't get their homes back because people flew a flag in a, Stadium but movements build over time and through moments of, visibility through the accumulation of, pressure and through the refusal to let the issue, disappear into a manufactured consensus that was never real to begin. With and today in twenty twenty, six this is not specific To air. Republics Even western publics have seen their governments ignore, genocide have seen their rights recede as their government's ally to protect genocide in a variety of. Ways Now i'll end with something a little more. Personal WHEN i watched Those World croup crowds back in twenty twenty, two WHEN i saw all these Different, Arabs moroccans And tunisians And, saudis people from countries that have varying in complicated relationships with this, issue all waiving The palestinian, FLAG i felt a kind of. Hope and it's not. Naive it's not the hope that this will be resolved soon or, easily but the hope that's Says palestinians are not, alone and the cause is not. Forgotten and the silence that has been imposed on this, question attempted silence top down for so, long is not the consent it pretends to. Be governments can sign a, chords but they can erase what people, know and they cannot sign away what people. Feel when they watch a team lose and a flag goes up in a stadium and thousands of people start. Chanting palestine keeps showing up uninvited at every table that tries to exclude, it AND i think it will keep doing. That thank you so much for listening To it Could Happen. Here I'm Dan, Algirt.
Speaker 5: Welcome To It Could Happen? Here a podcast about firing your boss and keeping them fired and then making their not be. Bosses that was an extremely long and slightly cumbersome intro from your host To Mio. Loong but with me today to talk about how to do such a thing Is Reisa, Freiheit tabby And daniel from THE iww who are part of a tour talking about just. That so all three of, you welcome to the. SHOW, iiky thank you for having. Us, Yeah i'm so excited me as, WELL i.
Speaker 10: Mean i'm excited for every TIME i do something like this Because i'm very much an attention Horror i've few as though as an, ACTRESS i kind of have to.
Speaker 5: BE i, mean, yeah that is kind of you, know you do you? ARE i, guess, like, yeah trying TO i don't, Know oh my, god how DO.
Speaker 4: I do a better? TRANSITION i don't?
Speaker 5: Know you have to ask my? Doctor, okay never, mind we're leaving. It the part about how to do a better. Transition we're leaving. It you'd have to ask my.
Speaker 4: DOCTOR i like.
Speaker 5: This this is great speaking of a union that has a unbelievable number of trans people in it these. Days. Yeah so we have on the show talked a little bit about the industrial workers of the. World we have had SOME iww unions on the. Show but, yeah today we're also going to be talking about sort of the history of the union and something cool that the union is. Doing SO i guess to start, off can you three give a kind of brief introduction to, like you, know like the one sentence like what is this? Thing and then what is this tour that you're?
Speaker 6: Doing?
Speaker 9: Yeah so this tour is The Decentralized tour there's not like a small number of like experts so to, speak we're touring in the country giving a speech or talking about. Things it's more like each INDIVIDUAL iww branch that is participating is planning and organizing its own. Event but we're coordinating on a national level and trying to promote this very broadly to the public because THE iww hasn't done a very like public, event especially a national one like this and quite some, time and so we feel like the moment is calling for something like.
Speaker 5: This, yeah and SO i guess we can now, ask, okay like what actually is THE, Iww and how do we explain to people that it is in fact called The Industrial workers of The, world not The International workers of The. World and also that it is not just a union of people who work in heavy.
Speaker 11: Industry, well we're The Industrial workers of The world because we organize. Industrially we want to organize all the workers in each industry and not by their.
Speaker 5: Trade, yeah.
Speaker 10: Exactly so an EXAMPLE i always, use you, know since I'VE i mean so much student, dad what happens when you're getting your masters and you're doctorate is say there's a school university instead of what traditional unions, do which, is you, know you have the teachers, union and then like the janitors, union and you know the thas union and all these separate union is like a cafeteria worker, union et. Cetera you just have one big. Union that's one of the things THE iww is. Code you just have one union across all these. Things so everyone from the teachers to the thas to the janitors to everyone in between is in the same, union in the same bargaining.
Speaker 5: Unit and we don't just stop at one.
Speaker 11: Industry the goal of THE iww is to organize all industries. Industrially capital is organized this, way and workers really ought to do the same.
Speaker 10: Exactly we have everyone from sex workers to, actresses to carpenters to especially back in the, day a lot of, miners you, know everyone you can think. Of as long as you don't have hiring or firing power and aren't a copper active duty, military you can join THE. Iww, Yeah and that's.
Speaker 5: Something THAT i THINK i think we've got to on this show a little, bit which is, that LIKE i, mean obviously it depends a lot on where you, are but like a lot of the organizing THE iww does is with service workers and service workers and shops that every other union looks at and, goes, well you're not worth organizing because we can't get enough. Money you'r members out of. It and that's SOMETHING i don't, KNOW i think is really valuable in this moment where, yeah like unbelievable numbers of people are doing service. Work that's like What that's what the economy is built. On if you're committed from the start to organizing all sectors and all workers and all, industries you don't end up in a place where you just right, off you, know like entire sectors of the economy that are a lot of times the people who most desperately need to.
Speaker 9: Organize, Yeah and that's like exactly why THE iww was born in the first, place was because the trade unions back in the nineteen hundreds were ignoring all of the unskilled, workers so to, speak like the miners and like the dock. Workers but THE iww all the way back nineteen oh five was, saying what is still saying today is that all workers need a. Union And i'm a, Bartender i'm a. Server i've been one since i was sixteen years, old my whole working, life And my experience as just a working class person has drawn me to THE. Iww it's, Philosophy, yeah because no other union really cares about, us but thew is. There and like you, said like that's what most workers in this or not, most but a large chunk of workers in this country are service. Workers it makes up like a third of the.
Speaker 11: Economy, yeah and, moreover the industrial workers of the world teach us the tools to make change in our.
Speaker 4: Workplace.
Speaker 11: Right other unions are something of a service, model, right they themselves become a service for their clients who are the. Workers but what THE iww teaches is that it's on, us, right we need to make the change in our. Workplace we have to analyze the, conditions really understand the imbalance of power that.
Speaker 4: The bosses have over us as wage, workers and change.
Speaker 11: Them and that means talking to our, colleagues, learning, analyzing and then taking, action direct action to make the.
Speaker 4: Changes that we.
Speaker 11: Want because only, us we're the ones who know what's best for our, workplace what's best for our, industry, right and we're in a position to make that change when we organize horizontally in that.
Speaker 4: Way.
Speaker 10: Yeah the thing THAT i really love about THE iww is that it's a very good teacher in many. Ways you, know so many, people you, know aren't fortunate to have the incredible amount of education THAT i have in you, know really being able to study the material conditions of, capitalism of really kind of getting at the center, of you, know how change is. Made AND i find that with THE iww in the way we, organize no classroom in the world can teach, you as well as your own, experience that the way to revolutions not electing some. Politician the way to the revolution isn't handing your power to some union. Bureaucrat the way to the, revolution to, socialism to, communism to industrial, democracy to the abolition of the wage system is direct. Action is doing it. Yourself is shop floor. Organizing and when workers realize that they have power over their own lives and destinies at, work they realize that they have power over all of. Society once we come together and decide upon, something there is no employer who can stop.
Speaker 8: Us you.
Speaker 5: Know Big Bill, haywood who's a very very FAMOUS oldww, member has this line where he, Goes i've never read, capital BUT i have its stars on my. Back many memes have been made of. That, yeah and it's it's something THAT i don't, know like SOMETHING i do appreciate kind of About like my experience with the union has been, that like it's a place where you, know the theoretical stuff that you're doing right is stuff that's drawn from just the immediacy of, Like, okay we have to get a bunch of people to show up to a meeting so that you, know we can do this. Union we have to like talk to people and we have to like get people organized to be able to do direct. Actions we have to be able to like get people to show up in this place and like do all of the sort of like you, know just the like the the nitty pretty technical work of like fighting a class. Struggle but it's this place where, like, yeah you actually get theory that's drawn from action and is sort of unified with it because you just you have to do it, right like you have to get anyone to do the thing, constantly and there's no one else who can do it for. You there's just you and your fellow. Workers and it's, yeah it's you and your fellow workers and you're fighting against the, boss and it it rocks and Then once you feel, it you're.
Speaker 11: Hooked, yeah, right once you really get to experience that that sort of, camaraderie that closeness you actually get with your co, workers when you know your comrades and, struggle you're working together towards. Something it's way bigger than any, department, right or institution or. Anything it's a matter of creating the world that we want for, ourselves the world that like we are entitled as workers as a creator of all this wealth and all of these great things that that humans are capable.
Speaker 4: Of, like that's that's what The wobblies are all, about in my humble, opinion.
Speaker 9: Just kind of just bringing up for, me like one of the most remarkable things about THE Iww, historically like in it's, heyday it had nearly half percent of all workers in this country within its, ranks and like The wobbley philosophy like spread like wildfire across the, country and it was just spread by regular rank file workers who were empowered.
Speaker 4: And believed in.
Speaker 9: Something, yeah and you, know it's it's sad to say, that like today a lot of workers don't even know what THE iww, is what it. Means it's like what it's done so like that is part of the reason why we're doing the firebus words to like actually become a phenomenon again and to have people recognize us and, like, no the wildly way of.
Speaker 10: Organizing you, know, YEAH i cannot tell you the amount of times you, Know I've i've been talking with you, know other union organizers and they, said, wait THE iww still.
Speaker 5: Exists, yeah that's the thing happens a, lot or even.
Speaker 10: Worse they don't know about it at. All and, again as a historian of our union and somewhat long time Member i've been a member since twenty, nineteen it really pisses me. Off pissed me off to the degree that last, year for one hundred and twentieth, ANNIVERSARY i produce and performed in a wabversary live. Stream we had people from four different countries and multiple different branches just call into the show shout out the caveat In New York city they hosted. Us and that kind of just really feeds into why we're doing Fire Your, boss BECAUSE i know all of us want THE iww to be like known and you, know not just as a union that THE us government, killed which by the, way they failed to, do but as a vibrant force that is an alternative do not only you, know wage, slavery but unions as a service and you, know not unions as you and your coworkers and your.
Speaker 5: Comrades, yeah and that's SOMETHING i think comes up a lot in, organizing which is like a lot of the history of what the union is not just sort of the history of LIKE i guess what you would call like The heyday in the nineteen hundreds and like you know through that's like the nineteen, twenties but like the modern history of the union has just been suppressed or. DISAPPEARED i think people now are kind of getting an understanding, that, like there was A starbucks union before the Current starbucks union that like aaw. ORGANIZED i think people tend to think of it as like it was like some shops In New, york and it's, like, no, no it. Wasn't it was all over the. Country there was a whole bunch of shit that they. Did there were enormous numbers of workers, involved and it's a thing that like it's both from from a historical perspective but also from the perspective of like just generationally we tend to lose like movement knowledge as as each generation comes down because a lot of the stuff just isn't passed.
Speaker 10: On no one knows The internationale, anymore, Lame no one knows The internationale.
Speaker 5: Anymore, yeah but it's not even just. That it's like there's stuff that like happened in our lifetime that like people you probably have met were involved with that like is just. Gone like the EXAMPLE i always talked about on this show And i'm gonna keep talking about until every single person in the left was about it was The Wahaka. Uprising we're like, yeah like also Like wobbli's like went through this and we're in. It but it's, like, yeah like people In mexico like took a Major North american city and held it longer than The Paris commune. Did and this was in two thousand and. Six LIKE i guess maybe there are some of you, now horrifyingly who weren't alive for. That but, like nice way to make me feel. OLD i. Know it's a Namer the history and possibility of, STRUGGLE i think like just gets lost in ways where people suddenly don't realize that like, yeah, no like in in your, lifetimes people formed giant assemblies and took control of like a Major North american city and held it for. Months like that's the thing that we all lived.
Speaker 11: Through it's a long, memory, RIGHT i, mean it's a powerful weapon that we have when we actually remember these. Things, yeah when we really learned from them and we realized that's, ourselves that is our, history that is a people's, history.
Speaker 5: Right we are learning somebody else's.
Speaker 11: History were living right in the world of the ruling, class, right and we just need to realize that we're in the position to change. It we're the ones who do, it who make the history and really create the world we want in the shell in all of, this like you, know buckering that's going on around the, world it's on.
Speaker 5: Us While i'm talking About mexico to talk about a very different part Of, MEXICO i do you want to mention like maybe MY i don't know if it's like. Heir like one of the pieces Of wobbley like history THAT i really like THAT i think never gets talked about is the fact, that in a similar way that like what happens, today there's there's a lot of connections between workers in like workers In, california workers In mexico and there's a bunch of people moving back and forth across the. Border there's workers moving, around and there was a whole bunch Of Mexican wobbleys of various, kinds and a whole bunch Of wobbley's like went over and fought in The Mexican revolution because it was it was the thing to.
Speaker 12: Do.
Speaker 10: Yeah the collaboration was to the point that multiple locals in various states In mexico and Also california And, arizona they were literally like, merged so it was literally like the same local across you, know national.
Speaker 5: Borders, yeah and If i'm remembering, correctly like THE iww like took a Few mexican cities like in the north because they were the people who were just doing the uprising.
Speaker 10: There, yeah put them and their allies in The parti De Liberal, mexicano which do not be confused by the, name was an anarchist. Group that is the whole history in and of itself.
Speaker 5: One of the all time funniest Things i've ever seen of just, yeah we named ourselves A Liberal party Of, mexico but were. Anarchists but just incredible stuff going on in the nineteen.
Speaker 10: Hundreds it was a very different.
Speaker 5: Time, yeah speaking of very different. Times, yeah do you want to talk more about sort of what is going to be involved in this tour AND i guess also like how people can get involved with, it learn and hopefully like start organizing and fighting in their.
Speaker 4: Workplaces.
Speaker 9: Yeah so the rough curriculum or agenda for the tour has like four or five primary like. Sections but LIKE i said at the beginning of this, conversation like it's a decentralized, Tour so each branch is going to do it a little bit, differently but roughly it's going to be first like, people we're going to try to like talk with people who, attend like see what people's current conception of a union. Is just like kind of talk about unions broadly and how people perceive, them and then transition into talking about the IWW's way to do unions and solidarity, unionism which doesn't necessarily rely on recognition from the state or, Capital like we recognize ourselves as the, union you, know we take direct. Action we're very, democratic very, caring you, know talking about, yeah the IWW's way to do unionism and, industrially like how do you do industrial, unions and then and moving into how unions can be a revolutionary force and how like we're facing all these things we're up, against like THESE fbi rates and multiple like cities and states across the. COUNTRY ice is like literally murdering people in the. Streets we've like got genocides going on all over the. Place and by taking back control of our labor and shutting shit, down we can be a revolutionary. Force AND i feel like a lot of people have kind of forgotten about the live movement and so to, speak because of how shitty like these trade unions can be sometimes and how, bureaucratic and so you, know we should remember that these are really powerful like things to be. Doing and then we'll wrap it up with just talking about like next steps and. Things hopefully get people out to organizer, trainings just get people connected to their local, branches make connections with people who are like thinking about the same things about building militant rank and file unions and.
Speaker 5: Stuff, yeah, yeah talk a little bit about the organizer, trainings BECAUSE i think that's a really really cool thing with THAT aw does that people don't really know about it. All.
Speaker 9: YEAH i really love the IWW's organizer. Training we have AN ot one on one organizer training one on one Called building The, committee and it's a two day training kind of like a big crash course into how to build a union from, scratch like within your, workplace how to start gathering, contacts how to start having like those initial conversations with worker your fellow, workers and how to develop your co workers into, organizers and how to build power in the workplace and shift that balance of power from the boss to the. Workers and it's very different than like other union organizer trainings because a lot of other trainings are basically like training you how to do card check, campaigns like how to talk to your, coworker get them to sign a card and then you never talk to them again kind of.
Speaker 5: Thing but we're not interested in.
Speaker 9: That we're interested in like building real relationships and like building bill power with our, coworkers and that's what the training is all.
Speaker 5: About, YEAH i think it's fun both untwo levels of. One I've i've been to one of these and it's very very. Good and the second THING i think is very funny is like the other unions that like suck less in THE, us like part of what has happened is they've adopted a bunch of the trading.
Speaker 13: From one of the amount of Times i've seen some union doing something and being like they learned it from, us it's very fucking obvious the learned it from.
Speaker 5: US i will listen to people being like they're giving a definition of the. Union i'm, like that's the i W w. One AND i know your leadership doesn't believe this because it's, like, not that's not how your union. Works but, yeah you, could you, could you, could you. Could you can get the original one from the source that doesn't have in the same way that like a bunch of the modern trade unions cut out a couple of versus of solidarity forever because they were too. Radical they.
Speaker 10: Mutilated are fucking. Bad that chaplain is rolling in his fucking.
Speaker 5: Grave that's A. Canaan they stole the song and then they were, like oh my, god hold on, this like might teach workers that they don't have anything in common with their, Bosses like we have to.
Speaker 4: Stop we.
Speaker 11: Can't there's seven verses, altogether count them seven except something.
Speaker 5: Yeah and most most unions sing like five oh if that? Yeah and you know in the same way that you can get the original uncut version Of Salary. Forever you too can get to the organizer training that these other people are getting bad versions Of.
Speaker 10: Yeah fun. Story so this is unrelated to THE, iww but also. RELATED a few weeks, AGO i was a part of the Anti Zionist jewish contingent at The Queer Liberation march In New York, city and of COURSE i got on the mega phone and led everyone in Singing solidarity.
Speaker 5: Forever hell, yeah hell, yeah it's a good. TIME i hear there's a New Little Red songbook in the.
Speaker 11: WORKS i don't know how far along The Committee committee, is but this has been a mammoth. PROJECT i could only imagine right producing a New Little red.
Speaker 5: Songbook by the, WAY i want to point this out to speak speaking of other people taking, stuff THE iww Had Little Red books before The maoist. Did LIKE i CAN'T i can't say for certain That Maxine don took that chip from, us but like that stuff is from way fucking Before maoism. Existed like this is not affiliated those well are.
Speaker 4: FUCKERS i, Mean.
Speaker 10: Mao was a was an anarchist before he became A. Marxist, yeah this is The chinese anarchist movement one hundred years ago was way stronger than The marxist. Movement like half the original communist parties in the. World we're founded by former. Anarchids, yeah and this this has gone poorly for. Them check's notes filtering back to the twenty.
Speaker 5: Twenties from the nineteen, twenties where where can people find where tours are? Happening and yeah and get more. Involved, yeah we have a. Website It's Industrial worker dot Card. Co there's two rs in. CARD i don't know if we can link that like in the description of the. Podcast oh yeah we.
Speaker 4: Can we'll make a.
Speaker 5: Description, okay.
Speaker 9: Cool so, yeah that website will have all of the tour. Locations right, now there's eight. Locations there might be one or two more being added in the near, future but as of right, now it's Like, Portland, Sacramento, Denver, Seattle, CHICA i Go Green, mountain which is brilliancent for Fine New York city and excellent C, michigan who are all having locations on this. Tour and that website will have all the tales like, when, where. Etc hell, Yeah i'm.
Speaker 10: EXCITED i also wanted to shout out. Specifically first, Off i'm the proud chairwoman of The Orientation committee OF, nyciww actually former branch secretary treasurer Of Northern New jersey before we merged With New. York but nyciww's having Our Fire Your Boss tour stop At woodbine In manhattan On august twenty, second starting at. Noon free lunch will be. Provided oh, yeah so here in THE nyc, area please stop by and get to meet the sexy trans woman with The transatlantic.
Speaker 5: ACCENT i Visited woodbine winning was still In, Ridgewood.
Speaker 11: Queens i'm very much looking forward to checking out their new location and so any of you all they still have That queen's.
Speaker 10: LOCATION i think they've just expanded Into, manhattan.
Speaker 5: Right it's been ages.
Speaker 11: Now but, anyway if you're In Northern New, england you could join us at The Public library In, Burlington vermont On, Sunday august. Sixteenth that Is Bennington Battle, day a state holiday unique to the state Of.
Speaker 5: Vermont do you have anything else that you want to televerye before we head.
Speaker 10: OUT i would say THAT i think what THE iww does very uniquely THAT i haven't really seen any other union. Do is, that in my, opinion at our best we we go contract. List shout out To Stardust Workers. United they're AN nyciww shop who are the singing waiters and other staff At Ellen's Stardust. Diner and of Course i'm a fan since I i'm an actress and singer, myself and of course fellow. Worker but they don't have a. Contract what they do is they use direct action in various tactics to exert their power and negotiate with the boss's issue by. Issue they don't use state power to enforce it at. All there's been no, election there's no contract. Signed all they did is get a bunch of their fellow workers to join THE iww and exist as a bargaining unit and exert power that. Way AND i think that's very powerful because we aren't relying upon the state to enforce our. Will we're doing it. Ourselves and that's such a powerful thing when so many people just are streaming why won't someone save? Us you, know everyone's, like why won't someone do? Something why won't someone do?
Speaker 5: Something wown't someone do? Something And i'm just, like you can do it.
Speaker 10: Yourselves you can make your own conditions better by you and your coworkers. Alone AND i think that's so special about THE iww is that that truly is a revolutionary break from the.
Speaker 9: State the thing THAT i would want to end this conversation with, IS i feel like the labor movement in The United states has been trying the same thing over and over again for, decades like ever since The National Libor Relations act was, Passed like we've been trying this contract, model like this like service model that we've been talking, about and it's kind of why the labor movement is as weak as it is, today and like the current administration is going after like these protections that we, had and it kind of just goes to show how we can't rely on these like pennies that the state throws, us like these, protections they're not really, Real, like so we need to build our own. Power we need to be reliant on. Ourselves and there's one quote THAT i have really. LOVED i don't know who said, it but it, says today's labor, movement which involves the absolute majority of the global, population along with its allies and marginalized groups and, minorities must mount an, offensive reviving strategies and energetic dedication to radical. Methods and that's what we're trying to do with the firebus story is like return to these and radical methods that worked so, well like, historically we need to try something.
Speaker 5: New so, yeah and something very very new and very very old at the same.
Speaker 10: Time there are some historians that put the estimates of members of THE iww it's kind of hard to track due to a lot of the members were migrant. Workers put it at possibly over a million in the nineteen. Tens and you, know in my, opinion it's a good. Start you, know let's get. THERE i, MEAN theflcio is like three four or five, million you, Know I'm i'm hoping The fire Your Boss tour is the is the start of, uh you, know great amazing things for our union because hell, knows millions of, people if not, billions could benefit from.
Speaker 11: Us, yeah every worker an. ORGANIZER i hope that's a step we're, taking. RIGHT i hope everyone that joins us on this tour is to feel more like an, organizer feel more like the, leader and really understand what's going on in their workplace and all around the, world because that's what we need as we go.
Speaker 5: Forward, yeah but that's a good note to end on and thank.
Speaker 4: You thank all of you for coming on the show and. Talking thank you so.
Speaker 10: Much, yeah thank you for having us happy.
Speaker 5: Too and hopefully we all get to see each other like on the front lines of the class war someday. Soon and WHEN i WHEN i say, YOU i mean everyone you the listeners, Too, polarity.
Speaker 10: Thank you lovely. Listen, also one cannot be an attention wre if no one is there to listen to.
Speaker 3: Her this is it could happen. Here I'm Garrison. DAVIS a specter is haunting The United. States last, Year democratic Socialist Zorn momdani beat establishment Politician Andrew cuomo in The New york mayoral election two, times both in The democratic primary and The november. General since, then The Democratic socialists Of america have only grown their power In New York, City state and The halls Of. Congress Claire valdez Brad lander And Diara lisa of Vi La chevalier won their congressional, primary unseating Two democrat incumbents and beating one incumbent backed. Progressive that same, night Seven New York CITY Dsa Cana dates won Their democratic primaries for The State assembly And State, senate paving the way to send seven New Democratic socialists to The New York State, legislature joining the eight socialists already in. Office in, total nine out of the ten insurgent candidates on THE NYC dsa slate won their races last, month beating sitting incumbents and establishment backed. Candidates When Hakim jeffries appeared ON tv at A dsa election night, party the crowd chanted your. Next the next morning in The Oval, Office President trump commented on THE dsa, Sweep President, trump.
Speaker 2: Great knight For Democratic socialist candidates last night and The New york. Primaries they swept and knocked out two.
Speaker 13: Incumbents you're From New.
Speaker 14: York why do you think it is that now the endorsement Of Zorn mamdani means.
Speaker 8: More than the endorsement of.
Speaker 4: Hakimja, well they're.
Speaker 15: Going radical left and going really you, know you talk about The democrat socialists you.
Speaker 16: Took really it's really a. Communist that's these. PEOPLE i watched that woman last. Night that's not a, SOCIALIST i know. Socialist that's like that woman is a. Communist just a.
Speaker 3: Week, prior A dsa endorsed candidate won The democratic primary in The washington D.
Speaker 5: C mayoral.
Speaker 3: Election and A dsa member won the primary for The ward One City council. Seat, then a week after The New York city, sweep Another Democratic, Socialist Melot, kiros won The democratic primary In colorado's First Congressional house, district unseating a thirty year. Incumbent this sequence of wins rattled both The democratic establishment as well As trump and THE. Gop Here's trump again in The oval office On june twenty.
Speaker 17: Ninth Zara bondani said in an interview this week that he was open to being the poster child for socialist.
Speaker 18: Case are you worried about more socialist candidates across THE?
Speaker 15: US i think a big threat to a nation, actually because it's not. Socialism it's like. Communism they use the word social democrat because it sounds so, nice but it's really communism you're talking. ABOUT i think it's the biggest threat to a nation.
Speaker 4: There, is maybe since our.
Speaker 3: Founding President trump spent much of The july fourth weekend commemorating the two hundred and fiftieth anniversary of the country attacking. Communism these are clips From Trump's america to fifty address On july, fourth and other speeches in press. Conferences from that same.
Speaker 15: Week communism is a loser and it always will. Be the communist system is the opposite of The american, system and the communist system has never. Worked our warriors did not fight communism on battlefields across the world only to have that menace rear its ugly head right back here In.
Speaker 19: America we're not gonna let it, happen because it's like a cancer that, spreads and you'd better stop at. First we will never let The United states become a communist.
Speaker 5: Country you can be loyal To Karl, marx or you can be loyal To.
Speaker 4: America communism's a.
Speaker 20: Disaster it's been proven to be for thousands of, years under different, names but the same. Thing there is now a resurgence of the communist menace in our, land including from newcomers to our country who embrace ideas totally opposed to our way of life and our great. Success communism is a mortal threat To american. Liberty it is the greatest threat to our country Including World war, One World war, Two Pearl, harbor or even nine to.
Speaker 3: Eleven as THE dsa has won seats across the, country the organization has attracted new members after the twenty twenty four presidential, ELECTION dsa had about fifty thousand members. Nationally this, MONTH dsa reached over one hundred and twenty thousand, members a record. High just The New York city chapter alone has over fifteen thousand. Members late last, YEAR dsa allocated funding to open twenty new offices across the. Country around The june, primary the zionist extremist Group Canary mission started specifically TARGETING nycdsa with writeups on all ten of the insurgent. Candidates Canary mission's ANTI nycdsa article from before the election was titled one Thousand zorans don't threaten me with a good. Time the article not only attacked THE nycdsa, candidates but also highlighted how the organizational structure OF nycdsa has established a template for success by running candidates as a whole block who can campaign together and then support each other once in. Office QUOTE nycdsa elected officials meet week to align votes and coordinate. Strategy the machine doesn't.
Speaker 5: Stop in all.
Speaker 3: Caps in a post on X The everything app after The june, Primary Canary mission, wrote Quote New York CITY dsa is not just, growing it is building the machinery to turn radical ideology into political. Power the numbers show the scale the LARGEST dsa chapter In, america roughly ninety thousand, volunteers hundreds of field, leads a candidate, pipeline and coordination that continues after election. Day this is how a movement stops looking like protest and starts looking like. Infrastructure New york is the testing. Ground the machine is already being. Built unquote and, yeah they're. Right basically everything in that little quote is one hundred percent. True and that is what's making both the liberal and conservative establishment. Nervous on the eve Of July Fourthox news ran a segment on The Kami.
Speaker 21: Revolution White House Press secretary Of Caroline lovitt joins, Us, now The Kammi.
Speaker 5: Revolution, caroline did you ever see this?
Speaker 22: Coming this is not your Granddaddy's Democrat. Party this is not the grand Uh Democrat party OF. Jfk this is a full blown communist revolution that is taking Over Capitol.
Speaker 21: Hill if these commies get, in they're going to be a powerful little. Caucus they're going to hear to blow things. Up they're not here to Negotiate pentagon. Funding they want Zero pentagon. Funding they're in here to destroy the. Country how would the president negotiate with people like.
Speaker 4: That i'm not sure you.
Speaker 22: Can AND i think that's why The president is being so bold and warning The american public against this communist takeover of The. Democrats and As Ronald reagan perfectly, stated freedom is never more than one generation away from. Extinction if these communists are given a chance at power here In, WASHINGTON, dc if they retake the majority In washington away from The, republicans we will be heading down a communist.
Speaker 3: Takeover this concern By Jesse waters Of Fox news was also the topic of A axios story from a few days after The New york, primary with quotes from quote unquote Centrist democrat lawmakers threatening that there's quote unquote going to be a war if the new members Of congress try to utilize their block to win policy, concessions with one lawmaker calling the incoming members quote bomb, throwers not problem. Solvers the idea is that if The democrats win a Small house majority in the next, election the growing coalition Of, democratic socialist and left wing populist lawmakers could leverage their needed votes to get concessions from party leadership and wield an outsized influence on the. Party in this, Story axios wrote that left Wing house reps quote moving on block would be able to kill party line votes to get their demands, met much like the far Right House Freedom caucus has done the past few. Years Progressive Repdila ramirez Of illinois is quoted in the piece saying that The Congressional Progressive caucus has a quote responsibility to be the strongest voter, block to take a stand not for the, establishment but for working people who send us to fight like hell for. Them threats of war from Centrist democrats and cries of communism From Fox news And President trump show a real fear of the growing MOMENTUM dsay is, having both as an organization and in the ballot, box and the fear that this kind of politics won't be contained to big cities in blue. States here Is Mam donnie being interviewed ON abc shortly after The june, primary.
Speaker 23: And you knocked off Two democratic incumbent members Of. Congress is is this like a unique moment In New york or is this the beginning of a national?
Speaker 24: MOVEMENT i think we are seeing a hunger that is not just felt By New yorkers but frankly By americans from coast to coast for a new kind of, politics one that puts working people at the heart of. It AND i think for far too, long what we as a party have been able to say To New yorkers who are struggling is simply to explain why they're, struggling not actually offer them a vision for how to make life. Better and these, Candidates Brad, Daria Liza, claire they ran campaigns that spoke to working people and that said life in the nation's most expensive city need not be this way any. Longer AND i can't wait to have them as partners IN dc and.
Speaker 3: Network we'll be right back With Mike johnson after this at. Break three days after THE dsa sweep In New, York Republican House Speaker Mike johnson gave the keynote address at The faith And Freedom. Conference he essentially did free propaganda for THE.
Speaker 14: Dsa THE, dsa The Democrat socialists Of america sounds so, innocuous doesn't.
Speaker 12: It, no it.
Speaker 14: DOESN'T i will say that this is their. Platform, listen this is actually quotes from their platform that they PUBLISHED i think about a day or two. Ago you can find this on the. Internet, okay here's just a sample of what they're. About they put this on. Paper they're saying the quiet things out. Loud abolish the Electoral college or place the two party system with a multi party. Democracy expand The house Of. Representatives implement proportional representation and rank choice voting in all. Elections abolish well establish public ownership of the largest corporations and essential industries to ensure democratic control.
Speaker 8: And accountability to the.
Speaker 14: People abolish ice and grant amnesty for.
Speaker 5: All this isn't the quiet part out.
Speaker 3: Loud this is Democratic socialists of one oh one empowering workers by increasing demo credit control of our own government and the unaccountable corporations that rule over our. Lives but here's more From Mike johnson.
Speaker 14: In sanctions On, Cuba, venezuela And. Iran Free palestine quote for a Free palestine With jerusalem as its. Capital end all military and economic aid To. Israel PROSECUTE us And israeli leaders responsible for the genocide In. Gaza abolish the carceral state. Quote redirect police and prison funding to public services as steps towards abolishing the carceral forces of the capitalist. State y'all it goes on and on and. On defund The department Of, war replace The president and The Supreme court with an executive and judiciary chosen and subordinate To, congress which they're.
Speaker 8: Hoping to take.
Speaker 14: Over and the last one is abolished The. Senate, now some of you may agree with. That don't just leave that one, There, okay it's, Fine i'm.
Speaker 3: Kidding the fact that the Sitting house speaker felt the need to address these proposals signifies a Serious overton windows shift and opening up of the conversation on ending in humane, sanctions reforming The Supreme, court defunding The, pentagon and abolishing the uniquely undemocratic institution of The. Senate will that last one happen anytime? Soon probably, Not But Mike johnson apparently believes this is a topic worthy of public. Debate this Past, Tuesday Mike johnson announced that The pentagon is requesting an additional three hundred and fifty billion.
Speaker 14: Dollars you've heard The president talk about how he wants to effectively double the funding for national. Events, look we live in dangerous time for finding communism on our own, chores and we're fighting evil terrorists and tyrants around the.
Speaker 3: World, meanwhile also this Past, TUESDAY dsa released the full version of their new national, platform which is What Mike johnson was quoting. From this platform is Titled Workers Deserve more And beyond What Mike johnson has already helpfully. Outlined it also contains paid family leaf for all, workers a thirty two hour, workweek a living minimum, wage canceling student, debt universal, healthcare building publicly owned social, housing honoring all treaties and tribal, sovereignty finishing, reconstruction ending mass incarceration and police, immunity a federal jobs, guarantee publicly owned energy and transit, infrastructure ending THE us four, machine a Free, palestine ending all aid To, israel prosecuting those responsible for the, GAZOGENOCIDE dc, statehood getting rid of, lobbyists dark, money and Citizens united and publicly financing all, elections while expanding and protecting voter rights and ending voter, suppression and of, course ABOLISHING. Ice you can read the full platform in more detail at program DOT dsausa dot.
Speaker 5: Org i'll link it.
Speaker 3: Below it's not very long and quite easy To it starts with a preamble to contextualize the goals of the organization and the purpose of an ambitious. Platform in our current, Moment i'll quote from.
Speaker 5: A section of that.
Speaker 3: Preamble, now, Quote if we lived in a classless society and governed, ourselves we could freely build a world without war or. Poverty we could build a world where no one suffers for their, race, gender or, religion and everyone is, free, equal and cared. For building this world is the guiding star of our. Movement when we labor for our common good instead of private, profit we can all have a secure and dignified life and use our time and talents how we. Wish to achieve this, future our class must. Organize The Democratic socialist Of america is building a party whose goal is a democratic society of the working. Class our enemies are not just individual, bosses but the entire global system of. Capital not just this or that, cop, judge or, president but the entire anti democratic structure of our. Society we are workers fighting to transform, society to win the battle for, democracy draft a new, constitution and create a Democratic Socialist. REPUBLIC dsa has written this program for ending capitalist oligarchy and creating a real. Democracy some of these demands may be one under our current, system but we know complete victory will require building.
Speaker 5: A new society from the ground.
Speaker 3: Up we push these demands to their furthest extent today so that we can fight for their fullest realization in a socialist. Future, meanwhile let's check in on the. Liberals on CNN's state of The, Union Pennsylvania Governor Josh shapiro was asked about the RECENT dsa electoral.
Speaker 17: Wins democratic voters In New york chose three candidates back By, zorammdani far left And Democratic socialist.
Speaker 5: Candidates what message do you take from that of about where your party.
Speaker 25: Is you, know those were races and individual districts in a whole other. STATE i think you're seeing very different looking congressional races and certainly Different democratic candidates here In.
Speaker 3: Pennsylvania that's an interesting point being made By Governor, shapiro who seems to be ignoring the fact that the first congressional primary win for A Democratic socialist this year was In pennsylvania's third district this Past, May Democratic Socialist Chris robb beat a candidate backed by the retiring, incumbent a candidate who compared calling the genocide In gaza a genocide to saying the n, Word but Jos shapiro is not the only one trying to argue that DSA's success is limited to places Like New. York londons have been saying the same thing ever Since mamdani won the primary over a year, ago but following The slate sweep last, month Some democratic lawmakers have tried to minimize the increasing trend of socialist candidates beating both moderate and sometimes even progressive.
Speaker 5: Politicians the reaction From democrats has been.
Speaker 23: Something you've had some Prominent democrats dismissive of what happened. HERE i, mean you Had Senator blumenthal say the effort to Nationalize New york is going to. Fail what happened In New york will be really irrelevant by the time of the elections In. November Jakeem jeffreys basically said the same, thing saying that this is not indicative of what needs to happen In.
Speaker 4: November what do you make of?
Speaker 24: That you, KNOW i think that when you Ask americans what they're feeling in this, moment amidst reports of an economated strengthening of stock market that's, booming you will hear an exhaustion and having to try and make ends meet every single, day every single, week every single, month and that it's getting harder and, harder and so a message of fighting for working. People we don't have to nationalize that. Message that is a national, message the national. Crisis and for far too, long all we've had to say is a party is opposition to the current.
Speaker 4: Administration what do we have to say beyond?
Speaker 24: That and what these candidates offer is a vision that extends beyond the, Midterms it extends beyond twenty twenty. Eight it speaks to what makes so many of us proud to Be. Democrats it speaks to a vision that goes back to a new deal understanding of what working people. Deserve And i'll tell you, that for too, long that kind of politics you can only find it in history, books and we need to bring it back to the present.
Speaker 3: Day ON, Cnn joshapiro addressed his disagreements with one particular candidate In New, York, chevalier, saying, quote her district voted for, her BUT i have profound differences from that particular, candidate and she's not someone who SEEMINGLY i would agree with on many, things or that we share similar. Values she ran on The democratic. TICKET i guess she is a. Socialist her voters in that district determined that she was the one they wanted representing.
Speaker 25: HER i think what is important are the people who are making a lot in no, wise who're engaged in these performative, politics have to now figure out how to deliver. Results it's one thing to speak in platitudes during a. Campaign it's a whole other thing to actually deliver for people who are genuinely, hurting who genuinely need to see cost of living go, down meaning their ability to make ends, meet you, know go, up fixing a broken healthcare, system raining in, excesses being able to give people the promise of liberty that we've talked. ABOUT i think we as a party need to find our way toward candidates who actually can deliver for people and make their lives.
Speaker 3: Better i'm curious Who shapiro thinks such candidates may, be because the twenty twenty four election showed that voters lost faith That National dems could deliver any of those, Things whereas in just six, Months Democratic Socialist Zora mamdani delivered free, childcare a two year rent, freeze a new plan to make buses, faster all well balance the budget and overcoming a twelve billion dollar deficit left By Eric.
Speaker 24: Adams we don't have to ask ourselves what life looks like if a socialist. WINS i won Last, november and over the course of these last six, months what we've delivered for working people are the very things we were told were. Impossible we've delivered free childcare for two year olds for the first time In New York city. History we've delivered tens of millions of dollars back to tenants who were taken advantage of by bad. Landlords we've delivered one hundred and sixty five thousand potholes being. Paved and we've done all of these things while also delivering the lowest recorded crime in our city's. History that's what it looks like to have democratic. Socialism and what you're seeing is That New yorkers experienced this for six months and made the decision that they wanted to see more of it on the national stage as.
Speaker 3: Well Governor shapiro has said The Democratic party is going through quote a battle over what we believe in, unquote AND i think that's. True but moderates can never seem to really express what they believe in opposition to Both trump and The Democratic. Socialists, Meanwhile momdani is on the news clearly articulating what he believes in and why the party should believe in it.
Speaker 24: TOO i think it has to stand for working, people AND i think it has to be willing to fight for working. People AND i think that there are some who are offended by the prospect of a party that knows who it fights for and goes every day to work for, that because what we've seen over many years is a willingness to not only explain away the status, quo but frankly even to look to benefit from the status. Quo and that's not what working people are looking for from our.
Speaker 23: Party can A Democratic socialists get elected?
Speaker 24: PRESIDENT i think A Democratic socialist can get elected anywhere across this country for any. Position WHAT i think we need to bring is a focus on working.
Speaker 23: People and that's the direction that the party should go. In and in terms of a selecting a candidate for twenty twenty, EIGHT i think.
Speaker 24: The direction that the party should go in is how best to fight for working. PEOPLE i think we need to have a platform and a vision that doesn't sound as if it was cooked up by, consultants but instead one that you would say in response to someone who's asking why CAN'T i afford my? Rent why CAN'T i afford my? Groceries why CAN'T i afford my? Childcare we need to make clear who we stand, for how we're going to stand for.
Speaker 4: Them and that we're actually willing to fight for them when the going gets.
Speaker 3: Tough as Red scare style rhetoric has surged on the, right we've begun to see more Establishment dems team up with conservative media And republican politicians in trying to take down THE dsa to protect their shared class. Interests this was already happening throughout The New york mayor oal race last, year eventually leading To trump Endorsing Andrew cuomo on the eve of the. Election but as THE dsa keeps building power and winning races across the, country so too will this bipartisan ruling class alliance continue to. Spread late last, Month democratic Advisor James carville went On Fox news to discuss the danger of democratic socialism and the possibility of a party. Schism Then fox has been airing clips Of carville's own podcast where he attacks THE dsa.
Speaker 26: Socialism surge is threating to shake up The Democratic. Party big wins From mondani backed candidates In New york this week just the latest for The Democratic socialists Of. America Veteran democratic Strategist James carville says it could be time to.
Speaker 21: SPLIT i actually do think it's time For democrats to talk THE s, word skiss.
Speaker 4: THEM i really. Do everybody's always, said, no, no we were. Coalition we're a big temp and as there's just some THAT i can't be in the same camp.
Speaker 3: With later in that, Segment fox brought on a quote Unquote democratic strategist who worked Under Andrew cuomo to rail against socialists trying to hijack the.
Speaker 27: Party, now, Listen i've been saying this for the last several months and trying to sound the alarm on.
Speaker 4: This these people are Not. Democrats they are.
Speaker 27: Socialists and what they've done is they have, strategically in the last ten, years Since burny did his run in twenty, sixteen come up with a strategy in order to take over The Democratic. Party they very, organize they've been working on the local. Level but make no, mistake these are Not. Democrats they fundamentally do not believe in the same things as far as public, safety as far as the seizure of private, property as far as celebrating terrorism and stoking Anti, semitism and so, yes big. Tent we've always been.
Speaker 5: A big tant no to hijack.
Speaker 27: Tent and the reality is they should start their own party and run, there but they know that won't be, successful so they're trying to take over hours and.
Speaker 5: It is a.
Speaker 3: Disaster as already, mentioned Moderate democrats in The house are threatening quote unquote, war and high Level Democratic party figures have been airing frustrations THAT dsa candidates are benefiting from running on The democratic ballot line while seeking to fundamentally change the nature of the party. Itself former chair of THE, Dnc Jamie harrison, wrote, QUOTE i say this with no ill will or. Animosity if you hate The Democratic, party then please don't run for our. Nomination don't use our, resources don't rely on our, volunteers don't use our, infrastructure don't Ask democrats to invest their, time money and energy into your. Campaign focus on building the party you actually. Support political parties aren't, perfect but they're built by millions of people who, knockdoors make, calls organize, meetings and fight for the values they believe. In if you don't believe in the, party then don't ask its members to carry you across the finish line. Unquote something That Jamie harrison seems to not quite, comprehend which makes sense considering is the former chair of THE dnc Under Joe, Biden Kamala, harris is that party nominees are supposed to be chosen by the, voters not party, elites and These Democratic socialist candidates are winning primaries despite strong option position from the State democratic, parties entrenched political machines in city, government and national establishment. Forces THE dsa has to outorganize The democratic establishment and overcome the power of corporate money just to get on The democratic ballot line In. November of, course IF dsa candidates ran third, party then people Like Jamie harrison would just claim that they're spoiler candidates helping THE gop. Win there's no satisfying these. People they just have to be. Beaten vice chair of The Manhattan Democratic, Party Mariama james smeared ALL dsa members as having a quote unquote white supremacist mindset after she lost the primary For State Assembly district sixty five In chinatown and The Lower East side TO dsa Candidate iyappa Syrit. Pak in this same election, cycle THE adl And Congressman Josh gotttheimer Attacked mamdani for referring to dark money super packs like apak as quote unquote monsters in reference to The grams sheet quote the old world is dying and the new world struggles to be.
Speaker 5: Born now is the time of.
Speaker 3: Monsters THE adl And Congressman gotttheimer claimed that both dark money and the word monster invoked Anti semitic. Tropes, meanwhile senior advisor To Adriano, espayot chair of The Congressional Spanic, caucus who is up Against, chevalier weaponized Anti haitian animus Towards, chevalier who Is Afro, latina and on A spanish language, podcast spiat's senior advisor said That mamdani wanted to change the demographics of The Washington heights neighborhood In Upper manhattan by making it quote no longer be a bastion of The dominican, community but instead a bastion of The Haitian muslim. Community allied to him. Unquote Congressman Josh gottheimer responded to the DSA's victory in The democratic primary by continuing to attack the Now democratic nominees and released a centrist manifesto rebuking. Communism do you, say Asked Mayor Mum donnie about the manifesto and The democratic politicians Like gotttheimer who claimed that socialists can't be.
Speaker 23: Democrats Josh, gottheimer A democratic member Of, congress, says many of us believe as DO.
Speaker 4: I if you're a, socialist you are not A.
Speaker 23: Democrat and in, fact they put out a manifesto.
Speaker 4: Today have you seen this?
Speaker 5: Thing sounds pretty socialist to.
Speaker 4: Me it's not a communist.
Speaker 23: Manifesto it's a moderate manifesto saying we are capitalists and not. Socialists we believe in a, growing fair and competitive, economy, entrepreneurship.
Speaker 4: OWNERSHIP i mean this is a direct.
Speaker 23: Response they've made it clear.
Speaker 5: To what you did here On.
Speaker 24: Tuesday, WELL i, mean you, know that's, Great but what's a party if not its. Voters And i'm proud to sit in front of you as the mayor of our, city having received more than a million votes a little over a little less than a year. Ago and when we're talking about these incredible congressional can the dates they won their races and they won their races with the vision of what politics should be and one that actually speaks to working people and for a lot of people who ask themselves what does democratic socialism? Mean and you can tell them the. Answer at a theoretical, level it's the choice to extend democracy from the ballot box the rest of their. Lives but in terms of what it, means over these last seven, months we've seen a city with democratic socialist principles at the heart of.
Speaker 3: It within our, administration we will return to discuss how communists And Miss rachel are teaming up to Destroy america after this ad. Break Last, Saturday Fox news write a story about the DSA's new national, Platform Workers Deserve. More let's take a.
Speaker 28: Listen Fox news has obtained documents from The Democratic socialists Of america revealing the group's updated, platform which is even more radical than. Before now they plan to release this next.
Speaker 5: Week listen to.
Speaker 28: This The United States senate eliminated gone The president and The Supreme court replaced The department Of, war defunded all immigrants given. Amnesty that is the.
Speaker 3: Plan the rest of The fox report tried to PAINT dsa as being driven by, Anarchists, marxists and crazy communists who want to destroy the. Country the report highlighted a few of the niche caucuses WITHIN dsa that focus on anti, imperialism promote anti, electoralism.
Speaker 28: And explicitly push.
Speaker 3: Communism later on in this, segment Former White House Deputy chief Of staff And trump's current top electoral Advisor James blair joined the program to discuss the communist.
Speaker 5: Menace, james this is.
Speaker 28: What you're up against in the, midterms and we keep hearing it's A New york, problem except here we. Go there ARE dsa candidates In, Missouri, Michigan, Wisconsin, Florida New. Hampshire so what is your plan to defeat these?
Speaker 5: Radicals, WELL i think.
Speaker 29: We just have to bring their issues to The american, people and The american people are going to reject. Them let's talk about the views that they're actually espousing and what they want to bring to the.
Speaker 25: Country you said it as they say in their.
Speaker 29: Documents or all amnesty for all illegal, immigrants no deportations at, all not even the.
Speaker 3: Criminals let me, think when was the last time an unpopular incumbent party failed to address eCOM issues affecting working class voters and just tried to hold onto power by fear mongering about the opposition's. Platform oh, yeah twenty twenty, four when The democrats tried and failed spectacularly to campaign on Stopping project twenty twenty. Five but now the tables are turned so by all, means Mister, blair don't try to offer an actual alternative platform that improves workers'. Lives just tell them all about the DSA's platform, instead especially When ice is historically unpopular and hint seen to not murder someone every, Week believe it or. Not This Fox news segment actually ended by talking about the threat posed by evil far left communist and children's educational YouTuber Miss.
Speaker 28: Rachel let's remind our viewers Who Miss rachel. Is if your kids do not watch her like, mine do not This Miss. Rachel are you guys afraid to take On Miss?
Speaker 29: RACHEL i would love to take On Miss. Rachel it'll be the end of her, show which would be a service To. America my kids AND i have four under the age of. Six they also don't watch. Her she's radically far. Left her show is really about indoctrinating, children and, honestly if that's the fight we have to, Have i'm happy to have it no.
Speaker 5: Problem we will beat her like a.
Speaker 3: Drum, yeah that sure sounds like a message that will resonate with. Voters data For progress ran a survey last month asking for two thousand likely voters what actors are most harmful to our society and the. Economy At number one was, billionaires number two corporate, landlords three, sports, gambling four artificial, intelligence and five. Cryptocurrency The Republican party was found to be the seventh most harmful and The Democratic party was the. Ninth, so despite popular opposition to things THAT dsa candidates are specifically trying to, Address trump seems to believe that just screaming communism will stymy the growth of democratic socialism and scare voters away from voting in their class.
Speaker 15: Interest liberal became so, tarnished but now it's. Communists you, know they say social. Democrats no social democrat is a, communist all, right you, see and then say there's No so if you look at the people that are, running it's crazy what they're. Doing but we will we'll never let that happen to this. Country can't happen to the Count. Canada there's no appetite for.
Speaker 3: It if there's no appetite for. It how Come Bernie sanders And Zorn mamdani are the two most popular sitting politicians in the. Country how come one in Ten mamdnni voters voted For trump in twenty twenty. Four that's over one hundred thousand voters who Backed trump and then a year later voted For. Mamdanni candidates Like zoron are not just appealing to a sizable portion of people who Voted, trump but are also pulling in new voters who, might for the first time in their, lives actually have something to vote. For In New York, city around two hundred and sixty thousand people registered to vote in twenty twenty, five more than double that of the last mayoral election in twenty twenty. One almost two thirds of those new voters were under the age of. THIRTY A cato pull from Late june found that among millennials, fifth twenty percent were favorable towards, capitalism but forty percent were favorable to socialism and twenty nine percent were favorable towards. Communism these percentages total over one hundred because this was a multiple choice, selection but the numbers among gen z are even more. Striking according to This cato, poll fifty three percent of GEN z respondents were favorable towards, socialism forty five percent to, capitalism and thirty eight percent to. Communism The New York times ran an article this Past tuesday about how support FOR nycdsa candidates in the last election was not divided by, race but rather by, age with older voters tending to support establishment candidates while younger voters backed insurgent. CHALLENGERS A yugov poll From june twenty ninth showed that the favorability of socialism was at fifty eight percent Among democrats and just eleven percent. Unfavorable among, independents socialism was thirty four percent unfavorable to thirty percent, favorable and Among republicans seventy one percent unfavorable to eleven percent. Favorable An echelon poll from Early july asked democrats should THE dsa have a larger or smaller influence on The Democratic party than they currently. Do forty six percent Of democrats said THE dsa should have a larger, influence twenty one percent said, smaller and thirty three percent were. Unsure following the DSA's congressional victories last, month there have been multiple think pieces in The atlantic about how THE dsa has gotten too radical and abandoned its social democratic, roots and how quote Unquote democrats became great by fighting the left in the postwar, period when liberals fought off a communist incursion into The Democratic party led By Henry, wallace former vice president TO. Fdr an opinion piece in The Washington post penned by the president and executive vice president of the centrist think Tank Third way argued that quote DSA's radicalism makes it not a faction to be, appeased but a movement to be. Opposed they insist that democratic socialist ideas are quote unquote electoral, poison and claim that quote far left governance has also been a, failure while ignoring the biggest most recent example of far left Governance New York. City on first, glance this piece in The Washington post presents a contradictory problem THAT dsa will Hand republicans perfect attack ad fodder that will Tank democrats electoral, chances especially in swing. States but on the other, hand they believe the biggest threat posed BY dsa is that their candidates are continuing to win elections and may thus transform the makeup of The Democratic, party or as the author's, right the DSA's commitment is to quote hallowing out The Democratic party from within by primarying Sitting democrats and replacing them with quote unquote ideological. Zealots to this, point the authors directly compare dsay's wave of success to The Republican Tea party movement from around twenty ten that reshaped THE gop and set the stage For trump to come rolling in and slingshot The republicans into. Power they wrote that for years The Tea party quote looked like self. Sabotage then a charismatic outsider, arrived harnessed the energy The Tea party, fomented and took over The Republican. Party democrats who assume a takeover can't happen have learned nothing from the death of The party Of. Reagan THE dsay is building a left wing ideological movement waiting for its standard bearer. Unquote so THE dsa is both electoral poison but also risks being so popular and so successful that democratic socialism could take over The Democratic. Party despite all the concern, trolling the author's real fear isn't that DSA's radical rhetoric will Sabotage democrats' ability to win, elections but that the DSA's recent victories could very well lead to A Democratic party with workers at the, forefront and such a party would threaten the class interests of think take gules like those At Third. Way one of the biggest results of DSA's electoral, strategy beyond winning, seats is Reorienting american politics back to a class based understanding of, politics whether that's framed in red scare terms like capitalism versus, communism more slopulist rhetoric like regular people versus the quote Unquote epstein in, class or simply the working class against the bipartisan. Elites the DSA's momentum and this new red scare point to a return of class struggle, politics and this is the result Of Democratic, socialists especially The New york chapter OF, dsa who have been slowly building power the past, decade experimenting winning local races and increasing their organizational. Capacity after the twenty twenty four, election The Democratic party was in a uniquely compromised. State then State assembly members Or mumdani and THE dsa seized on this opportunity to redefine what democratic politics are show that they can win and demonstrate that they can succeed at governing and advancing the interests of the working class in the biggest city in the. Country while reacting To Maya Mumdani's Independence day, Speech Steve bannon cautioned against dismissing the threat posed By. Mamdani this is quite.
Speaker 30: Serious if you dismiss this guy and dismiss the people around, him and dismiss the money in back of, him you are missing something that's more powerful Than.
Speaker 4: Obama and it's not just this, guy it's the team around.
Speaker 3: Him of, Course Steve bannon cannot understand that something Like momdani isn't the result of big, money but rather regular, people individual, donors and one hundred thousand volunteers who actually believe in fighting for a positive political. Project the next major test of that project will be In, wisconsin Where Democratic socialist candidate To Francesca hang is running for. Governor if she wins her upcoming primary Come, november this election will be the biggest test case to see If Democratic socialists can organize and win statewide in a swing.
Speaker 5: State see you on the other, side it could happen.
Speaker 3: Here executive disorder our weekly newscast covering what's happening in The White, house the crumbling, world and what it means for. You I'm Garrison davis today'm joined By Mia. Wong this, episode we are covering the week Of july eighth To july. FIFTEENTH a totally different war In iran has. Started god And ice has killed two people this. Week James stout will have a segment on that later this, episode but let's start with a few small. Things mitch McConnell has entered into a pact with the Demon, methastopheles who extend his life in exchange for the death of. Another in other, news four Term Senator Lindsey graham has died following what his office calls a quote unquote brief and sudden.
Speaker 5: ILLNESS i want TO i want to take two seconds to speak ill of the. Man SO i found this out From sophie messaging us in the group, chat AND i fully read the title of the article and clicked on, it AND i fully read the Words Lindsay, graham and my brain, went, well obviously It's misch. McConnell someone made a typo or something in the. Headline it wasn't even LIKE i thought it was a. Typo it's, like, fully my brain refused to process that it. Was Lindsay gram, Said ach.
Speaker 3: McConnell what a bait and switch, though like an incredible an incredible week And senate.
Speaker 5: Politics, yeah oh my, god completely. Wild the second THING i want to say ill of him was there's a very Funny axios thing where he's talking about how he's not gonna go to the hospital and he can't die because he has to do like terriffs and then also specifically he has to Do Israel Saudi arabia. Normalization he has to, establish, Yeah Israel's Israel saudi relationship and this is this IS i, think how how he should go out being, remembered which is trying trying to brow for an alliance between like the world's worst monarchy and like one of the world's worst EBox sees two of the most evil countries in the, world like two of the top, five which is really. Impressive right now we're up there. Too.
Speaker 3: Yeah On saturday, NIGHT ems responded to a call for quote unquote cardiac arrest At Graham's Capitol hill, home according to police scanner, audio and On Sunday graham's office announced the preliminary cause of death was a rupture of his iorda due to a hardening of his. Arteries that same, Day mitch McConnell posted a photo Holding today's a. Newspaper On, Monday trump went On newsmax to say That graham's death actually wasn't related to his artery, problems and instead he died of heart. Complications, QUOTE a certain part of his body literally blew. Up let's play the.
Speaker 5: Clip you have any suspicions or. Worry do you think we know the whole story about his? Death, WELL i think we.
Speaker 16: Do we've had great doctors and they talked, about you, know a certain part of his body literally blew.
Speaker 5: Up and that's a CONDITION i believe his father.
Speaker 12: Had also his father also had the part of body blows up. Condition, GOD i part of me hopes that there is a hell and That Lindsay graham is looking up like in hell and seeing that this is What Donald, trump the man who he just, like turned his entire career into.
Speaker 3: Backing the saying about him and to his, Day trump addressed some whirling conspiracy theories Around graham's, death whether or not he was poisoned by The russians or other nefarious acts may have taken, place And trump just, said, QUOTE i know there's all sorts of conspiracy theories going, around AND i think THE fbi is wasting their time if they are doing.
Speaker 12: That.
Speaker 3: Unquote that's in reference to a post made By Cash fattel Following graham's, death which was mostly like an ordinary like memorial, statement but curiously it ended with this sentence, quote THE fbi is assisting local, authorities and it's made every necessary resource available. UNQUOTE i think this Is patel just being a kind of like a. Moron, YEAH i was TALKING i was talking With Molly conger about this earlier this, week and she said That patel often makes kind of posts like this following like big national news just because he like is still caught in like the content creator mindset of just you have to like comment on everything and like relate it back to yourself in some. Way now that THE fbi did like go through Like graham's home and like that's that's pretty. Ordinary but BUT i think a post like this, is, YEAH i don't think indicating a larger conspiracy or foul play at, work and is kind of just a an oversight made By patel not really thinking about the consequences of his.
Speaker 5: Actions, yeah and like part of the consequences is that like a huge portion of the right is convinced that he was killed by some nebulous. Force there's like five thousand different unhinged theories as to who killed him or. Whatever but, like, no he's just. Old, no his body just literally blew.
Speaker 3: Up, now Following Lindsey graham's, death his, Sister Darlene Graham, nordon was appointed By South Carolina Governor henry McMaster to serve the remainder Of graham's, term which ends In. JANUARY i didn't know you could just do. That you can just call if oh, yeah WELL i know, YOU i know the governor, appoints but just calling up the dead senator's sister to.
Speaker 5: Be, like, hey do you want to fill? In there was some election where Like Alan ashcroft lost an election to a dead, guy AND i think they put his spouse in office or something, Afterwards so, LIKE i guess there is president for this extremely baffling. Shit it's pretty.
Speaker 3: Remarkable Lindsay graham had actually just won The republican nomination for his fifth, term but Now South carolina will hold a special election next month to select a new, Nominee Nancy masistner hat into the. Ring we'll see if anything comes to. That so week was off to uh kind of an okay, START i. Guess in other, news in a three hundred and eight to one hundred and seventeen, vote The house passed legislation to make daylight savings time permanent. Nationwide the bill is supported By, trump and if passed by The, senate it would end the twice a year clock. Changes pack it, up. Folks Hunter biden sat down With Nick fuentes On Andrew Callahan's channel five podcast this. Week Oh, god legitimate nightmare blunt. Rotation, Yeah i've never been on the Pro Hunter biden, Train, no because he is obviously he's In, sartain no way related to mine or that of you, know regular. People but hopefully this will will stop the Whole Hunter Biden's stan community.
Speaker 5: Online. YEAH i also just want to mention BECAUSE i think people don't know who this guy is or remember. It but, yeah there have been a curie as those sexual assault allegations Against Andrew. Callahan and also, yeah part of the nightmare or blunt.
Speaker 3: Rotation Andrew callahan is one hundred percent part of nightmare blunt. Rotation oh, yeah, YEAH i JUST i just want to make it clear that he. Is, yes this is absolutely his. Crowd in some better, news The trump administration is abandoning a proposed rule change to Block medicare And medicaid funding to hospitals that provide gender affirming care to trans. Youth over thirty thousand comments were submitted following the proposal Last. December medical groups like The American Medical association and The Children's Hospital association pushed back on the. Proposal the vast majority of those thirty thousand comments were against this proposed rule.
Speaker 5: Change this is, Good this is a good.
Speaker 3: Thing this was a big threat that prompted hospitals to comply in, advance and they should not have done, that and that is. Bad and we still don't know if those hospitals will reinstate. Care yeah, yeah and they should still be pressured. Yep and obviously the administration is still going after trans youth care, specifically they're still trying to go after patient records and are targeting specific hospitals with criminal. Subpoenas not all those subpoenas have been. Successful but this is good news about this proposed rule.
Speaker 4: Change.
Speaker 3: Yeah On, Friday Fergie, chambers self styled quote unquote anti, imperialist communist and multimillion dollar air to The cox family, fortune was detained In, Ibeza spain under requests from THE Us Justice, department who is attempting to Extradite chambers back to The states and is being charged with international money laundering with intent to provide material support to foreign terrorist organizations Likely. Hamas the past few, Years chambers has donated millions to Pro palestinian causes and has been globe trotting the past few. Months this is a political. Prosecution whether or not you Like chambers or disagree with parts of his, politics this is probably a bad thing and a bad sign for Pro palestinian politics across The United. States oh, Yeah spain has like forty days to decide if they're going to comply with the extradition, request And chambers has a bail hearing On thursday to see if he will remain in the. Tension speaking of international far left, terrorism On, Thursday july, Sixteenth Marco rubia will be holding an international meeting at The State department focused on the threat Of antifa and the quote resurgence of transnational far left. Terrorism according to The Washington, Post ford senior ministers from more than sixty countries were, invited though many will be unlikely to attend due to the meetings vague aims and short. Notice One european diplomat told The Washington post they were confused as to why they were. Invited, quote we don't have. Antifa another said, quote our law enforcement authorities have not focused on left wing terrorism because that is not considered a high priority threat in our.
Speaker 5: Country. Unquote The Washington.
Speaker 3: Post also reported that SOME us officials will not be attending this meeting out of growing fear that the increased targeting of far left activists may backfire on conservatives Once trump is out of.
Speaker 5: Office in fear.
Speaker 3: Motheruners so we are recording this before the summit is going to take. Place if something comes of, it we may report on it later.
Speaker 30: On.
Speaker 3: Yeah in More Mark Rubio, News secretary Of State Mark rubio announced On monday that The United states is launching a campaign to dismantle The International Criminal, court Which rubio says Threatens american.
Speaker 5: Sovereignty we're not even in. It we're not even in THE.
Speaker 10: Icc what are we doing here?
Speaker 3: Now THE icc has has attracted the eyr of. Conservatives yeah, yeah ever since its. Inception. Yeah but this Week rubio announced the launch of a whole of government effort that will use quote all the tools at our government's disposal to take on the. Court reuters reported debt options being considered include quote travel, bands visa, restrictions increased sanctions against THE icc and affiliated, organizations and diplomatic pressure on other nations to withdraw from The international Crem.
Speaker 4: Court.
Speaker 5: Quote rubio penned an opinion piece in The Wall Street, journal which is behind a, paywall incredible explaining quote why we're dismantling The International Criminal, Court And i'll quote from from the piece. Here.
Speaker 3: Quote last, year major activist groups urged high ranking international officials quote to take immediate and meaningful action against The trump administration's deportation of violent criminals To El. Salvador months, later a FORMER icc chief prosecutor Declared President trump's strikes against narco terrorists amounted to a quote unquote crime against humanity and should be treated as such under international, law a line that was echoed By United nations leaders and major leftist non governmental, organizations democratic party, officials and. Politicians In, march The washington Based democracy for The Arab World now urged The iranian regime to request AN icc investigation of quote unquote apparent war crimes committed By american personnel unquote war.
Speaker 5: Crimes enjoyer hates the people who every once in a blue moon sort of do something about war.
Speaker 4: Crimes.
Speaker 3: Guys huh, Yeah, SO i mean this shows that there is at least some level of fear in The trump administration or The State department that strikes on boats off the coast Of, venezuela disappearing immigrants into An El salvadoran, prison and strikes on civilian infrastructure and civilians In iran could result in at least some sort of pressure being applied on THE us from THE. Icc rubio wants to get ahead of that in some. WAY i don't think this.
Speaker 5: Will be very.
Speaker 3: Successful THE us doesn't really hold much diplomatic power right. Now it's this kind of, posturing this posturing that we've seen From republican administrations, before especially in the twenty. Tens BUT i think this is interesting and worth. Noting, lastly one more small news. Item Jake tapper is a, sniveling diesel coward and. Fraud On Sunday, Check taffer Interviewed President, trump and let's take a look at his hard hitting.
Speaker 5: Questions iron has declared the strait of horror moves.
Speaker 31: Closed is that, true mister, President.
Speaker 5: It's open as far as we're.
Speaker 4: Concerned don't talk about.
Speaker 5: It talk about the reason.
Speaker 12: That you asked me to.
Speaker 10: Speak.
Speaker 5: Okay we appreciate your, time.
Speaker 3: Sir, Okay oh, boy incredible journalism on display AT. Cnn tapper finished this quote unquote interview by talking out The president just a little bit.
Speaker 31: More, WELL i know you don't want to talk about any other issues out of respect For Lindsey, graham but we would love to have you back sometime BECAUSE i do have a lot of other questions for, you.
Speaker 5: Sir we'll do.
Speaker 15: That we'll do.
Speaker 4: That thank you for calling.
Speaker 6: In a normal, path and we'll do.
Speaker 31: That, Well i'm on a normal path right, here, Sir AND i appreciate your time and thank you for calling.
Speaker 6: In, okay thanks so.
Speaker 5: Much i'm a good little, boy mister. President please please please like. Me i've been. GOOD i won't challenge you on. ANYTHING i swear the most stolerashing part Of this is like all of this like, sniveling like boot, licking didn't even get him an in person. Interview this is a phone, call like come, On.
Speaker 3: I'm no fan of the, man but recently he has been appealing To trump a lot, more and to, me it kind of seems like he's trying out For David ellison in case the PARAMOUNT wb deal goes through and that results In Barry weiss or someone of that ilk being put in charge OF. Cnn SO i think that in, Part tapper is trying to demonstrate to those people that he will play, ball Whereas Cooper. Anderson cooper has has said if that, happens he will not work for someone Like Barry, weiss as he has left Sixty, minutes which has been put Under Barry weiss's, control though he remains AT. Cnn that's all for our first. Segment we will come back with a special report From James stout on two ice killings and the New Ish war With.
Speaker 5: Iran, okay we are. Back here's our segment From James.
Speaker 18: Stout, hi, everyone it's Me. JAMES i am calling in from Front range In. Colorado apologies if by sound. TIRED i have slept approximately three hours in the last twenty Four BUT i am joining you today to talk about two things which you can probably guess if you follow the needs at. ALL i want to start out With iran and then we're going to talk about. It hostd bepinion in THE usa And iran have resumed in a new and of course totally different war that in no way requires congressional. Authorization THE usa carried out four consecutive nights of strikes on the day of, recording which Is. Wednesday they carried those out in Side, iran While iran once again attempted to close the straight Up hormuz ring on ships in The. Strait in, addition The iranians have Struk, kata which has been a mediator in talks between them and The United states as well as other countries in the region and what it.
Speaker 8: Perceives to BE us allies and.
Speaker 18: Assets at the time of recording On wednesday, night we have gone from sporadic strike to the full on beating of the drums of war. Again The United states has returned to its previous blockade Of. Iran according to S Senkam's Central command is the military command that covers that.
Speaker 8: Region Ten kom.
Speaker 18: Also used one way surface drones to Strike iranian port. Facilities this is the first documented use of these course heir drones in this. Capacity if you're thinking about how to picture this in your, mind think about a remote control boat much bigger than your average toy, boat but much smaller than a warship size with jet ski, maybe and these are laiden with, explosives piloted to a target and then they detonate Rent that's why they're called one. Way prefer the term suicide. Drone it's not the drone that's, dying it's. PEOPLE i don't like to trying to muddy the waters with. That Saint com and The United states are still insisting that The strait Of Horn moves is open and they've claimed that they've shot Down iranian, drones but in the past, Week iran has Hit saudi flagged tankers in A singaporean, ship hitting at least four vessels in the. Strait since last, Week iran has also claimed to have sunk A Saint kitts And nevis flagged vessel On, tuesday and they have once again returned with full ferocity to their campaign of attacks Against Southern. Kurdistan AND i just heard from friends in Southern kurdistwan today have got dozens of messages of pictures of drones going, overhead drones being shot, down drodes being, intercepted, fires. Etc The United, states for its, part has also been un firing on. Ships today it hit the motor Tanker belma with a hellfire. Missile they claim that they warned the vessel and it was heading in the direction of Carg. Island it didn't, comply so they disabled, it preferring the missile to the. Smokestack and for his, Part donald from The president of The United, states has returned to making threats of war.
Speaker 8: Crimes here's a.
Speaker 15: Clip and then next week it gets really bad for them because next week comes the.
Speaker 4: Power. Plants next week comes the. Bridges we're going to knock out all their power, plants.
Speaker 18: All, Right and now we're going to move on to another really heartbreaking. Story ice has killed Three americans this, week And i'm going to start and go most in depth with the story of a twenty six year old man named One Sebastian Duran.
Speaker 8: Guero he was killed by ice On.
Speaker 18: Monday Durang guero was A colombian citizen he was in his car when agents seem to have tried to stop. HIM a video released by The Portland Press herald and shot on the, scene shows To anguero's car slowly, circling with agents standing on either side of the vehicle and not in its. Path it appears that LATER i, say agents rammed the vehicle with THE suv and then. Shot do Rang guerrero for the, video WHICH i, KNOW i say this a, lot but, like you don't have to watch this to. Care it's not a mark of how much you care or you don't, care how much you traumatize. Yourself you don't have to watch this to care with your whole. Heart but video shows him pulling his body from the, vehicle throwing it on the, floor and handcuffing. Him there was not in the video WHAT i perceived to be evidence of any immediate attempt to render. Aid one witness has said she heard the agencyl, weapon according To Banga Daily. News The Daily news reported that. Quote the witness said that one officer had walked away after the shooting and started to, cry but returned to the man and started ADMINISTERING cpr when the other officers said he has a. Pulse another witness related WHAT i was. SAYING i tried to, stop and then THE.
Speaker 32: Suv hit him, again and you tried him.
Speaker 4: And and then that's when he.
Speaker 32: Stopped ice agent got, out tried to open the door and had a difficult, time but eventually opened it and pulled the guy. Out his face was, bloody his head was, bloody AND i clearly heard the victims SAY i tried to. Stop clearly heard him say. That THE ice agent that shot him walked right in front of, me and of COURSE i HAD i was emotional AND i just let him have, it and he looked at me and he said he tried to run me over or something to that.
Speaker 4: EFFECT i don't remember his exact.
Speaker 32: Words there was Another ice agent with him that was trying to comfort, him and they walked.
Speaker 8: Away it appears During luerreo's family witnesses, shooting which is.
Speaker 18: Heartbreaking recording an The Portland Press herald said a woman and a young girl were holding hands and crying at the. Scene she couldn't have been older than, three said the. Witness Portland Press harold spoke to. This this person who spoke to him has a two year old, son And i'm going to quite hear from The Press. Herald she was still in her blue, pajamas just minutes after a man was shot and, killed reportedly by federal immigration officials who missedne that's the name of their, source saw who she believed was the victim's.
Speaker 8: Daughter she. Said the older of the two women yelled to law. Enforcement you took her. Dad you took her.
Speaker 18: Dad danguerro's, father talking To Antic Scaracole columbia said, elplear, no.
Speaker 8: He had so many dreams To. JAY'S i don't know why they did.
Speaker 18: This the Main Namigrants Rights commission And Presente Migrant Ampacacy organization issued a statement confirming That Dora aguero was authorized to work in The United states and have been issued a Social security. NUMBER i want to be clear about, this AND i want to be clear about Why i'm being clear about. THIS i guess one status or like thereof does not. Matter the agents did not know Dour anguerolo's, status it. Seems Main Senator Angus, king who is an independent, senator told the associate depressed of Du anguerda was not the target of an enforcement, operation which was a revision to a statement he in.
Speaker 8: The country he'd made earlier that.
Speaker 18: Day one status or lack of status should not determine if they can survive driving their car, around should not determine if a little girl grows up with or without a. Father but if we're going to make claims about that, status AS i have seen many people do on their Monetized twitter, accounts then we should try and make them. Correct so let's be clear about. This he was authorized to work in The United states and he has issued A Social security. Number according to The Main Immigants Rights commission And, pretende that does not mean he was a resident of The United.
Speaker 8: States.
Speaker 18: Necessarily it does not mean he was a. Citizen this can happen during the asylum. Process we've spoken about the work permit. Clock we've spoken about how problematic the work permit clock. Is we've spoken about how hard it is for people to get work Perm there are other processes too which you can get a work permit in the. Process BUT i want to be clear about this because it's important that we tell the truth and all of the truth. Right BUT i also want to be clear that anybody making the claim that he was a resident is going about this wrong because his legal status is not what you're. Protecting being a human being is what you're. Protecting no three year old girl should see her father shot in the, street much less by people who your tax is paid to shoot. Him and SO i want to be clear about, that AND i GUESS i Hope i've been clear about Why i'm being clear about. That king also confirmed the agents were not wearing body cameras at the time with the. Shooting with this and the killing In, houston Which i'll get to it a little, BIT cnn is reporting THAT ice is largely stopping vehicle stops for. Now The, atlantic reporting on this added. Quote the officer involved in fatal shooting In maine was hired BY isis year from The department Of Veterans Affairs. Police according to a senior, official the officer has worked in federal law enforcement since twenty. Seventeen the official, SAID dhs issued the following. Statement it's using this sort of like bullshit equivocal language THAT i would straight up fail someone in one hundred level writing course.
Speaker 8: For But i'll read it out so you can hear what they.
Speaker 18: Said On july, thirteen to twenty twenty, six at approximately seven Am eastern, TIME ice was conducting a targeted surveillance on the last known address of an illegal alien with a final order of. REMOVAL a legal alien departed the residents in a. Vehicle ice law enforcement attempted to conduct a vehicle. Stop the vehicle attempted to flee the scene and fearing for public, safety and officer discharged his. Weapon the driver of the vehicle struck and emergency services were immediately. Contacted he passed away from his. Injuries the bit off a police DEPARTMENT fbi responded to the. SCENE dhsig has been notified and like all discharge of, firearms this will be. Investigated it's a developing situation and we will update the public when more information is. AVAILABLE a couple of THINGS i want to. Know they didn't say that the officer feared for his. Life they did say he feared for public. SAFETY i think we should be wary of reading too much into these. Statements they're always so, vague wishy, washy in, equivocal and it's just the. Cops speakers become almost its own, language especially in the statements of cops make after that kill. SOMEONE i do want to note that The office of The Inspector general right DHS oig that's referred to there is one of very FEW dhs assets that is not getting a huge budget. Bump and as the agency, grows THE oig will very much struggle to keep, up especially IF ice continues Killing americans at this. Rate, indeed The White house last month and it's proposed budget proposed cutting THE oig. Budget so wouldn't hold you wreath for a thorough investigation if you want to learn more about THE DHS oig and how he came to have, it and then the long history that THE dhs has of preventing meaningful investigations into shootings BY dhs. OFFICERS i did an episode With Gen budd probably three years, ago AND i would suggest going back and listening to. That you can Buy gen's book. TWO i think she covers it. There the day after, this another young man was killed BY. Ice man was twenty eight years. Old he was killed AFTER ice agents attempted to detain, Him he fled and he was struck by a. Vehicle this, WEEK ice also Killed Lorenzo, salgado a father of three who have been in The United states for thirty five. Years one of his, sons in a press, conference said that he was aware That this was his dad when he saw a video On, facebook which is, heartbreaking claiming in this, shooting as they have falsely in almost every, shooting that he tried to weaponize his. Vehicle the agent shot him In. Texas this, WEEK cbs reported from The Harris County attorney that he is filing for visas for witnesses in the case unless it be deported before they can give evidence in the. CASE i don't want to go into a great deal more depth about. THIS i Guess i've seen a lot of speculation in all of these AND i might do a whole episode on it. SOON i just want to take some time at the, MOMENT i, guess for us all to to process more. GRIEF i did a book talk yesterday In oakland and we just read their names out loud and had a little moment With Edith.
Speaker 8: Moranti it was Edis. Idea it was.
Speaker 18: WONDERFULLY i had a little moment to think about them at the start of the book talk, there and that was a nice thing to. Do BUT i GUESS i just want to, say, like we are the people who get to decide if we want to keep living like, this and we don't have, to and it's helped to all of us to decide if this is the way we want to live and the way we want things to. Be, YEAH i hope you can all take some time to process this and deal with it however you.
Speaker 5: Can, okay we are.
Speaker 3: Back ahead of an upcoming union, Election The department Of justice has opened a grand jury investigation INTO Uaw President Sean. Faine Sean fayne is currently facing a challenge FROM Uaw Vice President Rich, boyer who years ago told the court appointed independent monitor That feinn quote acted improperly to obtain financial benefits for his fiancee. Unquote fain said in a, statement, Quote let's be clear about what's going on. Here Rich boyer has fed the monitor false allegations about me and is now trying to weaponize these bogus allegations to steal the UPCOMING uaw. Election he knows he can't win a fair fight because he has no real platform to run on. Unquote the court appointed monitor FOR, Uaw Neil, borowsky has clashed With faine the past few. Years ever Since faine pushed for THE oaw to pass a resolution calling for a ceasefire In, gaza which they then did way back in twenty twenty. Three at the, time THE ow was the largest union to do, so and In december of twenty twenty, Three fain gave a speech IN dc along Side Congress Rowman Corey busch And Rashida talib calling for a ceasefire and for aid to Enter. Gaza brovsky Called faine to express dissatisfaction with this, resolution And faine claims That brovsky called him an anti. Semite brovsky also forwarded a letter to the union from THE adl claiming THAT auaw local was antisemitic for supporting the. Ceasefire Detroit news reported That brovsky quote acknowledged the matter was outside The monitor's, jurisdiction but said he was forwarding it quote given the serious concerns raised here unquote to quote an article in The American prospect Quote at THE Uaw Executive Board's february twenty twenty four, meeting members asked Why brovsky was involving himself in the union's, politics While borrovsky protested he was not really seeking a policy change from. Them infuriated by Both broski's charges and his, Denials fain, said quote for anyone to ever fucking say Anti, semitic, Brother i'll fight your ass in front of this building in a heartbeat. Unquote within weeks of that, Meeting brosky initiated an investigation Of faine's interactions with SEVERAL uaw leaders. Unquote In Sean fayne's recent statement regarding the DOJ's, investigation he, claimed, Quote Neil barowski has a political grudge against me because THE uaw took an anti war stance about what was happening In. Gaza Under Sean, fayn THE uaw has moved in a much more militant direction and has BACKED dsa candidates running on working class platforms and states going against some other union coalitions who were backing progressive or establishment, dems like In New york With Claire, valdez where THE uaw Backed claire and a coalition of OTHER us unions Backed Antonio. Renoso faine has been a very effective union president who has won a lot of big contract, victories and in his statement addressing the, investigation he, wrote, Quote we've accomplished more in the past three years and three months than in the previous. Decades this is what happens when you go against Corporate. America and their, allies And i'm not going to be intimidated or harassed out of serving our. Membership our election is in six. Weeks neilbrowski will not run our union no matter how hard he, tries and no company sell out Like boyer is going to dictate our elections.
Speaker 5: UNQUOTE i think it's worth going over here sort of the general dynamics of union, elections which is that for basically every major union largely would elections come down. To this is how THE uaw was run for. Decades there is usually something that's called like The Administrative caucus or the Admin, caucus which tends to be the long term sort of ruling. CLIQUE i guess of the union that it usually has held power. Continuously they're kind, of as it felt power for. Decades The teamsters were like, This THE uaw was like this Until Sean fain One Sean fayne is From there's usually something called a reform. Faction, yeah, yeah who are a further left, faction and then there's also usually like A trotskyite one that gets seven. Votes but, yeah and you, know the sort of important, thing As garret was talking, about was that this is the first time that A Reform caucus had put like straight up one of their guys in charge of a major. Union you can look at The teamsters, too but Like teamsters for A Democratic union always kind of had a tenuous relationship ish with their new president and he kind of sucks in a way That Sean fayne like, doesn't, yeah largely does.
Speaker 30: Not.
Speaker 5: Yeah he has been the most militant of the major union leaders in THE, us you, know like there was the strike a few years ago that we covered on the. SHOW i, mean and this is another example of THE oja. Weaponization.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah the job administration is going after someone who is not only securing big wins for the, union but is also involving himself in these other, elections these other social causes Like. Palestine, yeah and also has been a really outspoken voice in favor of, immigration yeah and against, yeah opression Of mike. Workers so this is absolutely in part Targeting thane because of his, yeah opposition to a lot of the things such up administration is, doing and that opposition and support of THE uw has been helping working class candidates get into office to then oppose these things In. CONGRESS i don't know how to Segue, OKAY i got. THIS i got, This, garrison don't. Worry i'm a professional.
Speaker 5: Speaking speaking of bowel movements In. Michigan oh, god let's talk explosive. Diarrhea oh. Yeah THE uiw is also. Supporting al, said you're, right you're. Right that is a good segue and speaking Of, michigan oh. God, Okay so there has been a large outbreak centered In michigan of a parasite called silaspora that appears to be spreading through something like fresh salad, greens although THE cdc is still not. Sure, yes and we'll get to we'll we'll get to more on why they're not. Sure my four year old diet continues to reign. Supreum. God SO i think it's worth noting, that you, know this is something that a lot of writers have pointed. Out there's always like small outbreaks of silospora during the. Summer so you'll see documents of you, know like cases in other states that are not in the sort of group we're going to talk about in a, Second and that's fairly. Normal that's just that's just sort of the you, know that's just sort of the disease. Cycle, However, comma there's been over two thousand cases In, michigan and that is not normal at. All, now this specific, outbreak for what we know so far from THE cdc see it seems like there is an outbreak In, Michigan, Ohio West, virginia And. Kentucky and these ones seem to actually be connected to each, other unlike the sort of disparate cases elsewhereround the, country which are just seemed to kind of right now look like a little bit higher than the normal background noise of what you would expect in a very large. Country if you're like In, michigan it's maybe worth not buying like bag, salads and if you're gonna buy, lettuce buy like a head of lettuce and like throw away the outside of. It if you're not In, michigan, like don't really worry about. This you're probably gonna be. Okay but the REASON i want to talk about this outbreak is that specifically it's been, exacerbated at least in part BY rfk juniors firing of ten thousand health and human services. Workers, now as a result of these, cuts the Food Borne Diseases Active Surveillance network went from tracking six pathogens to only tracking two and lo and. Behold, okay so this timing genuinely a. Coincidence but they cut the surveillance tracking On july, first and one of the passages they were, tracking why. Cyclospora so this is going, great and obviously this outbreak would have happened. Anyways it's not responsible to draw a direct causal link from these cuts to, oh there's this outbreak, Now but what it has done is slow the response to, it because what was one of the world's best surveillance systems has been absolutely gutted because they fired ten thousand people or, well, okay it's a combination of fired and forced out and people taking, like you, know people taking some of the packages that they've been. Offered, yeah, yeah those deferred RESIGNATION doge. Offers, yeah this is a very explosive example of. This but what's happening here is one manifestation of the slow crumbling of general state.
Speaker 4: Capacity.
Speaker 5: Right there are a lot of regulatory agencies and a lot of scientific agencies whose you, know budgets and staffs have been cut, massively and the systems that they run are well designed enough and the people who actually do them care about them enough that they tend not to collapse. Immediately, Right that's not the sort of model of state collapse that we're sort of dealing with, Here. Right it's not that everything just suddenly stopped. Working what happens is, slowly over, time things that we used to have we simply don't have, anymore you. Know along these sort of, Lines one of the other like slow acting symptoms of this sort of carving out of The american scientific state and its regulatory capacity is that weather praditions have gotten less. Accurate and the reason they've gotten less accurate is because there is a large number of weather balloons that used to be deployed every single day to collect weather information that you can't get any other, way that have been shut down because they just don't have the staff to run. Them and so this is a thing we're going to be seeing and more of over the next honestly probably the rest of our. Lives is that the pieces of the state that we're torn apart By doge and we're torn apart BY Rfk junior going, through there's just going to be things that we don't think about that suddenly get. Worse, Right and it's also worth, noting, right, like you, know something THAT i think you, can to some extent point to for this specific outbreak is that there's been damage done to food testing that dates back to like the First trump, administration, Right and when we're talking about something like food safety, standards, right or we're talking about workplace safety, standards it's important to understand that there are two kinds of regulations in this. World there are regulations that are written in the ink of, lobbyists and there are regulations that are written the blood of. Workers and the ones that are being cut right now are the ones that are written in. Blood and so you, know right now we have a story that sucks but is at least kind of silly in a bunch of explosive. Diarrhea but as the state capacity continues to, degrade it's going to get more and more. Grim, yeah as you, know basic scientific and regulatory functions that we all have just come to rely on to not eat poison every, day crumble will start the fall.
Speaker 3: Apart your point about there being two different types of, REGULATIONS i think is really important because people often just think of regulation as it's like just this singular kind of mechanism that the state can, deploy and, no, yeah it.
Speaker 5: Is it is.
Speaker 4: Not it's.
Speaker 3: There is regulations that will protect workers that are achieved by, workers and there's regulations that only serve corporate interests or make things more difficult or cumbersome for workers to go about their daily lives and enjoy the public services and like the public goods and the infrastructure that that we. Have and this is sort of like hacking away at state capacities you're talking, about which is like very obviously on display In trump's second administration through stuff like Dew it's, right this is kind of the main project of conservatism since like the seventies and.
Speaker 5: Eighties, yeah, WELL i think WHAT i would also say about that, though that there IS i think there is an important distinction between what's happening here and what's what you, know if you look at Like, reagan for, Example, yeah which is like a lot of what those states were doing was you, know an attempt to transition from the state sort of having a welfare capacity to a state just being a purely military. Entity, Right but those people also weren't doing this kind of stuff in the sense that they weren't just like shutting down the weather balloons because you, know like even Like GEORGE. W bush isn't just like shutting down every weather balloon he can, find because there used to be an understanding that there's supposed to be stay capacity in place or expanded that would help the ruling class stay in.
Speaker 4: Power.
Speaker 5: Right this is why you see like the expansion of the police through this, period this massive increase in police and military, budgets and also why you would see in a lot of cases you would see expansions of scientific. Budgets and why you, wouldn't for, example just start doing. This The reagan administration did a lot of replacing regulations written in blood with regulations written in, ink but they didn't just gut basic scientific capacity that was useful to capital in the way that's happening. Here look like another part of, this right is like it was it was strategically important to someone Like bush and someone Like reagan that THE us would maintain like a large scale scientific. Advantage, Right so if you want to do, that you don't go through and just start annihilating the grant process by which All american science is. Done, Right, sure stuff that like those people didn't do because they had a better understanding of how The american empire, works and these people are doing it because they have bought the propaganda line about what their ideology is supposed to be instead of actually executing their, ideology like you, know having the sort of scientific state capacity to like fuel the corporations that their power relies. On, yeah the contradictions of the project are more clearly manifest and something like, this whereas you, know the sort of like privatization and like the removal of like social services Under reagan still allowed you, know government funds and involvement towards things that would help like infuse the economy in some, ways you, know trickle down, way something that really did not help a lot of a lot of workers in the. Moment, well they help the economy meeting corporation make more money every, year, yes versus the sort of expansion of this privatization towards things, like, yeah we should not have the government be funding weather balloons that can be privatized instead all these things that the private sector cannot do as well as a central government body cannot do without the backing with central government body inside of. Funding is another example of. This you, know sometimes THE rfk forces or whatever will like realize that what they're doing is actually going to hurt their core driving, factor which is which is serving, capital and they will like backtrack on some, things but it follows the sort Of Silicon valley.
Speaker 3: Mindset it's like move fast and break. Things then you'll learn that maybe you broke something you shouldn't have. Broken but the consequence of that is that in the meantime you have thousands people shitting.
Speaker 5: Themselves, yeah or worse or or. Worse, yeah an, amazing amazing country that we've designed. Here it's it's going great and no bad things are going to happen and are happening now before we.
Speaker 3: Go there's there's two pieces of news that have dropped since. Recording oh, Boy pete Haig seth is recommending quote unquote testosterone replacement, Therapy Oh, god for soldiers aged thirty and older in a video titled The high Tea department Of, War So prepare For. It onslaught of really bad like liberal jokes about how The department Of war is doing gender affirming therapy Now Jesus christ and about thirty minutes, ago one one hundred and Three democrats voted to eliminate aid To. Israel ninety six voted against, this ten voted Present this is a pretty big change from what a vote like this would have been a few years. Ago this is still like a performative vote, ultimately like there's no way that this is going to. Pass, yeah but those ninety Three democrats who voted against, this that is a primary. List that is a list of targets to go.
Speaker 5: After. ANYWAY i think that's the news that we reported. Today, yeah put a transcurl on your. Couch we reported the. News we reported the.
Speaker 2: News, Hey we'll be Back monday with more episodes every week from now until the heat death of The.
Speaker 17: Universe It Could Happen here is a production of Cool Zone. Media for more podcasts from Cool Zone, media visit our Website coolzonemedia dot, com or check us out on The iHeart radio, App Apple, podcasts or wherever.
Speaker 9: You listen to.
Speaker 17: Podcasts you can now find sources For It Could happen, here listed directly in episode.
Speaker 1: Descriptions thanks for.
Speaker 17: Listening