Speaker 1: Really now, really, really.
Speaker 2: Now, really Hello, and welcome to Really Know Really with Jason Alexander and Peter Tilden, who remind you it wouldn't kill you to subscribe to our show, but something that can kill you is the subject of today's episode, especially if you live in the beautiful Sunshine state. Florida is now infested with an estimated three hundred thousand plus pythons, some twenty feet long and weighing up to two fifty pounds. Currently, the only way to control these non native snakes is by sending hunters deep into alligator infested swamps to find, capture, and kill these apex predators. Really no, really. You'll also hear about Jason's startling close encounter with a snake, plus the touching story of the man with an emotional support alligator. Here's Jason and Peter.
Speaker 3: You know, they have a python problem, a Burmese python problem in the Florida Everglades. People tend to get them as pets and then they get a little unwieldy and they release them and they become predatory animals, and they upset the balance of the ecology of the everglades. So people go out and they capture these things. That's the thing to do is capture it. So I don't know, you know, but you might not know. Pythons can get to be big. So imagine something seventeen feet seventeen feet long, weighing about one hundred and ten pounds. What do you think is the bear requirement to send somebody out to capture that thing? I have had a figure crocodile Dundee, the crocodile hunter, maybe a four hundred pound guy with a gun and a scope. Now a little woman five foot four, one hundred and twenty pounds went out and captured a seventeen foot three inch python herself, no weapons.
Speaker 4: She took basically a baggie and a lot of kutzpah.
Speaker 3: Amy Sewey was a real estate person in Indianapolis and went to Florida and got involved with this python hunting thing and God hook, She's going to tell you her story.
Speaker 5: Can you see what that moment we should I'm not showing another person the house.
Speaker 4: I've had I've had.
Speaker 5: I'm in the middle of a couples when I'm done, and I'm going to go what aggravat I'm going to with the insects of the side of my head. Anytime I've peed in the Everglades, I've seen two sorts of eyes looking up right at me.
Speaker 4: Yeah, why would you go there? We got a fight? Yeah.
Speaker 3: So she has captured and killed more than four hundred pythons. She posts guided towards where ticket buying guests go out there with her. She makes all kinds of beautiful uh python leather products like watchbands and whatnot. And as I say, she has, I don't think there's a woman with a with a bigger record than this three inch python, one hundred and ten pounds, Ladies and gentlemen, a woman I'm already afraid of. Welcome Amy ce Hi, Amy.
Speaker 1: Well, hello, thanks for having me a pleasure.
Speaker 5: It's amazing, amazing looking at you, because I mean, if I don't know, if I could listen have been to the Everglades. There's so many things other than the python which can cause you can recap the python is. So just tell your story for a minute and get us up to speed. What did happen with the real estate job where you went, no moss, I'm going to go catch pythons.
Speaker 6: Actually, nothing happened. I wasn't even looking for a new career. I loved for real estate. I was good at it, and that was that was my track. But the thing is, I love snakes. I've got this passion for snakes and I always have since I was a little girl. My dad put me in the creek and taught me how to catch all kinds of critters. And I just had this crazy fascination with snakes and it it just never ended.
Speaker 4: And what is it?
Speaker 5: What is it? Because I'm he' screeped out by them? I am so creepy.
Speaker 3: I don't want to get Freudian, but I've heard you say, I don't know what it is.
Speaker 4: I've just always loved snakes. Tell a little bit, try and look in a mirror. I figure out what the hell you problem is? Snakes? What is it? It's serious?
Speaker 6: If I could answer, I was like, why wasn't it puppies or kittens or dolphins or something normal, you know? Or why didn't I play with barbies? Why am I playing with snakes? This is so stupid, But that's that's what it is, and it's it's actually my dad had this tremendous, you know, love for nature and taught me all kinds of things about it.
Speaker 1: And then the snakes. I think it's because we didn't see.
Speaker 6: Them as often as everything else, and it was you know, they were you know, you didn't want them to bite you, obviously, and it was almost kind of like a challenge.
Speaker 1: It was a huge challenge.
Speaker 6: And so whenever we would catch one, it would be, you know, it would be amazing. And so I just from there this crazy passion.
Speaker 3: Let me ask you, turtles didn't cut it for you?
Speaker 6: You know proms prad ads, Yeah, kind of boy snake.
Speaker 5: I see these videos, especially when I was looking to do research this, and they're lunatics who have these perrariums with the snakes in it. And the guy's walking in and say, oh, all submit me, and he's laughing and going, world, what's satisfaction? Is there a relationship that you get with a snake? Can you understand the snake? Can you understand the behavior?
Speaker 4: Carstle Tongue is now with a dog.
Speaker 5: With a dog, you hope you get a relationship and you can expect you expectations or whatever.
Speaker 4: With a cat, even though they're.
Speaker 5: Sneaky and I wouldn't have one again, but and they suck the life out of it, you can get what they're about. Even when you see people with big cats, they can anticipate maybe with a snake. What enjoyment do you get about having a snake in your room when you go to sleep at night? Do you go to kiss the snake at night?
Speaker 4: Is it? I mean, is it a Is there a relationship or.
Speaker 3: That's presuming, but you do you find an affectionate relationship between snakes or a bonding relationship between yourself and snakes.
Speaker 1: No, there's no bonding with a snake.
Speaker 6: They actually don't have the part of their brain that's, you know, the emotional piece of it. So they know me, the snakes that I've owned in the past because I used to be a breeder. They know me because I feed them basically. But when I go out there in the swamp, I mean obviously they're all out to try to you know, they.
Speaker 1: Don't let me.
Speaker 6: Let me back up, people are not on the menu, okay, So these pythons are not actually coming after us to eat us. So it actually makes my job a little bit harder because they're very very hard to find. If they were trying to eat me, at least I know where they are, so then I could.
Speaker 4: I could beat baits. So you leave real estate and gone to the everglet.
Speaker 1: Sure. Well, I learned about the python problem down here. I had no idea it.
Speaker 6: Was a thing, and when I found out about it, I thought, WHOA, what is this? I really need to go down and see what this is all about. You can catch pythons in Florida. That's kind of cool. And so I went on vacation. I went on a hunt. I caught a python, and I was hooked. I was like, this is it, this is what I'm this is what I'm supposed to be doing.
Speaker 4: It was that amazing, was that big a rushian adrenaline rush for you to do it?
Speaker 6: Well?
Speaker 1: It wasn't even that.
Speaker 6: It was that this is I can take this passion and I can use it and make a difference in the world. I can actually help Florida with this colossal problem because I'm not afraid of them. I know a lot about them, and I constantly want to learn. So I'm an asset to the team in Florida.
Speaker 3: Okay, I've seen the video, but for people that haven't, can you describe briefly how do you podcast a seventeen foot python?
Speaker 4: What do you do well?
Speaker 6: Typically with a normal snake, but that's not quite that big. You just you grab it behind the head, right, you get all the way up behind the jaws, because if you get down even just a little bit, they'll turn around and they'll nail you. So you have to catch them behind the head. So with a seventeen footer though, you know, I was by myself, and I cannot out muscle a seventeen footer. Most people can't, and so I knew early on that I was probably going to come across a big snake and I needed to be prepared for how I was going to do this. And so in the vet and pet store business, you know, we would put a dark cloth over the animal's eyes or their face to calm them down.
Speaker 1: So I thought maybe this would work for a python.
Speaker 6: So I practiced with like a couple thirteen and fourteen footers, and I would put the bag, it was six by six inch drawstring bag over these pythons heads and they just stopped.
Speaker 1: It just stopped them cold.
Speaker 6: So I so the night that I caught that seventeen footer, it was so funny because I was by myself, It's midnight, and I'm driving my truck slowly down the road and I see this thing periscoping and that's when they kind of they're up about two or.
Speaker 1: Three feet in the dust.
Speaker 5: I wanted to ask about nobody believes that. I read that part the periscoping. So that's like a cobra. It's sitting. It's actually sitting up looking at you.
Speaker 6: Yes it is, but it's the telltale sign is that is that white against all of the green and brown, right, so.
Speaker 1: They stand out.
Speaker 6: And so I see that, and I pulled the truck over and I grab my GoPro and I grab my little bag and I get out. And I don't know how big this snake is. I mean, I just know that it's a python. And so in the meantime, it had gone down. So when I finally I finally see some pattern through the grass and I follow it up and I see the biggest head of a snake I've ever seen. And I'm standing there and I'm looking at this bag and I'm looking at this I'm like, oh my god, what's wrong with me? But I just you know, you can't hesitate. So I just jumped on it and I nailed it down. And now keep in mind, I can't see that the rest of the snake. I have no idea how big the snake is. I just know that it's pretty big and it's It wasn't a wrestling match.
Speaker 1: It was more a battle of strength. It was trying to shim me back into the swamp.
Speaker 6: So I'm, you know, actually squatting it up with my you know, legs, trying to keep it from going back in the swamp. And then I ended up getting that bag over its head and as soon as I did, it just stopped. I mean, and you can see the video, it's kind of a struggle, but the snake stopped. So I was just sitting there on top of a snake at midnight in a ditch on the side of the highway, and I'm like, hah, now I have to pull this thing out of here.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And that's when another truck of people, you knew, who I guess were fellow hunters.
Speaker 6: Yeah, some other hunters drove by. So I yelled out and they backed up and they said, what are you doing. I'm like, I'm sitting on a python. They're like why, Like you'll see and they came down and oh my gosh, and they both said, this is the biggest python we've ever seen, so it was pretty cool.
Speaker 3: We will post the video of Amy's capture of this on our website. You can also see at her website as well, and we'll give you that information at the end. But exactly as you say, I'm watching the video and I'm seeing what you're seeing through your GoPro. You're right on top of this thing. I can't see it until you actually put your hands around that. I couldn't see what you were seeing. It just looked like weeds and straw muck.
Speaker 5: And if it's disguised, then you're going for it and you can't find it right away, can then turn on you and bite you as a defense.
Speaker 6: Mechage, Absolutely, you can mass They got razor sharp teeth, right, they have a.
Speaker 1: Mouthful of razor sharp teeth teeth.
Speaker 6: I've been bitten. I don't even know how many times, so many times.
Speaker 1: Do have a.
Speaker 4: Visible bite scar anywhere that you can show?
Speaker 6: No, No, Okay, it would be so cool if I did, But they don't scar for some reason.
Speaker 4: It's really weird to see how they can scar. Take me on a hunt.
Speaker 3: You'll see how badly oh that's going to leave a mark has never been truer.
Speaker 5: So the other thing I got to wonder about the everglades, and the everglades, you're jumping in there. There's stuff in there. There's there's gators, there's all kinds. So how do you know what you're stepping into if it's night and you can't see.
Speaker 1: Well, you don't.
Speaker 6: When I first moved there, I thought I was going to have to have like a fifty cow and you know for the bears and the gators and pythons and the panthers and you know, all the venomous snakes that are there and all kinds of things. But at the end of the day, they don't want anything to do with you. I mean they really really don't.
Speaker 4: Gators would not attack.
Speaker 3: Have you stepped within a foot of a gator, they're not going to go ooh, here's something they wouldn't.
Speaker 6: Usually usually they don't let you get that close to them. Now, the only thing that I would be worried about is a bowl alligator that during mating season.
Speaker 1: It's being territorial, I would think.
Speaker 5: And a lot of there's a lot of videos, by the way, Love Florida Love on golf courses when a giant python is fighting an alligator on like the eighth t and these guys are standing there and by the way, pissed that.
Speaker 3: We got to we're trying to fight, can we all that we're trying to play through?
Speaker 5: So the amazing thing about these pythons and why they've eradicated the mammal population there is they eat every I mean, they're eating the panthers, they're eating the gators, they're eating all of the mammals. So they don't have right now any other predator. And they're saying there's no chance at eradicating mall because there could be one hundred and fifty thousand, there could be three hundred thousand. They're not sure how many there are.
Speaker 6: Correct, that is correct, That is correct. But yees, so there are no predators. They are it, We are it. I mean we've got invasive hogs, and hogs will eat pythons. Pythons will eat hogs, but nobody eats enough of each other to make a difference.
Speaker 1: Same with alligators.
Speaker 6: Neither one are very high on each other's you know, priority list of food.
Speaker 5: And they're going north now too. They're up in like West palm Are here, they're gambling in Boca they're going to Delis and Boca. I mean they're they're they're everywhere, right, They're really getting to spread out.
Speaker 4: I mean, there's okay, I'm just a cart blonte statement. You have more than I do.
Speaker 3: I honestly, I don't think I could do what you do. I really do what you think people have. Many people have such a repulsion to snakes. It seems to be a huge phobia for many many people. Do you have any thoughts on them?
Speaker 4: So?
Speaker 1: I think it.
Speaker 6: You know, they're also portrayed. You always see these giant teeth. You know, they're going into these fangs of the of the vipers and the rattlesnakes, and I think that, you know, people don't want to get bitten by that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but it's weird.
Speaker 3: People get bitten by dogs too, but generally that's not as big a phobi there's I think it's to me, there's something about they are very they feel very alien, as many reptiles amphibians do. They're not they're not cuddly, they don't have the warm eyes.
Speaker 4: You don't exactly they don't see snakes playing a piano.
Speaker 3: Don't even understand how are they moving exactly?
Speaker 5: What are they do, they're so alien to us that that's a yeah.
Speaker 4: So here's the question I was going to ask you.
Speaker 3: Are you just generally a little less fearful than most people or is there stuff that you go, Yeah, I know it's irrational, but this scares me.
Speaker 6: You know, I will say this, jumping in that swamp, it's a challenge.
Speaker 1: It's fine.
Speaker 4: Are you friendly?
Speaker 5: I know there's Dusty the wild Man Crumb and there's just the swamp apes. There's a bunch of people doing what you do. And are they There's a certain amount that are sanctioned by the state that go out to try and eradicate. And then there's the big round up, the ten is it the ten ten day round round up? Is that what it is? Where you come down there and you get paid how much?
Speaker 4: Four? Oh, it's big money, big money, Pete.
Speaker 3: I heard it's like fifty bucks for the snake in general, and then for the first four feet there's nothing, and then after four feet it's like ten bucks a foot.
Speaker 4: You can really you can eat at Arby's at the end of a boost to stuff that we don't understand. I'm just saying, for what they're doing, it's not a lot of money.
Speaker 5: You're in the Everglades, you just finished bowling, You're on your way home. You see a snake across the road.
Speaker 4: You pick it up. You're dropping a drop box and a license. You need a license to do this, don't you.
Speaker 6: No, the public can can hunt the snakes. However, they cannot transport them live, so they have to be killed on site.
Speaker 3: Oh, when I heard about Peter, let me tell you about the killing thing I read something about the killing isn't it's a two step method to do it. You know, to do it nicely, to do it nicely. So the first thing, the first step is swim. Your first step is fleeing, and then step one A is your first step is fleeing, and then step one A is Your method should result in the animal losing consciousness immediately. You read you destroy the animal's brain by piffing, which which prevents it from regaining consciousness. So conscious the consciousness part. The thing I saw is like a it's like a. It's it's did you see it's this little thing You go boom and it like sends a pellet bang him right in the head in this in the sweet spot, and they're unconscious now that's where I would walk away, going it's not chasing me now. And then I think the next part is you take I saw like this is gonna be gross, like a screwdriver goes in and you kind of like.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and then if you're, if you're, if you amy.
Speaker 3: We spent the next seventeen hours skinning an eighteen foot python, and you dry it and she makes very beautiful Do.
Speaker 4: You know what?
Speaker 5: I have one eighteen foot python? You can get one driving glove.
Speaker 3: No, I saw it. I think I saw belts. Yes, I saw watch bands or bracelets of something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've got watch bands apple.
Speaker 4: Oh that is actually gorgeous.
Speaker 1: Thank you, thank you.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so I skin them on my the LNI of my snowbird condo.
Speaker 1: Never did I think that i'd be doing.
Speaker 5: That from from from selling real estate. Now there's your significant other, who I'm guessing still with you. I don't want to probe, but is he is?
Speaker 2: He?
Speaker 5: Is he as into this stuff as you are? Because I could see me coming out my bathrobe and going and she's got another ag, another thing hanging from the thing in the condo.
Speaker 1: Yes, no, no, no he wasn't.
Speaker 6: So I just have to tell you this though, so he's a hunter and a fisherman, you know, very outdoorsy. Really appreciated my passion for snakes and everything.
Speaker 1: He would go hunting with me.
Speaker 6: He would he would drive the truck and I would be able to spot right. And then one day we come across a fourteen and a half foot python. I'm like, Babe, I think I'm gonna need your help for this. And so you have to remember this is kind of in the beginning. I don't have all of my you know, techniques down. And the one thing that I'm going to preface this with is that when a python bites you, or bites a its prey, it bites and then it wraps its coils the first third it's body, right, So we call that throwing the elbow. So so I jump on this thing and so it just starts coiling around me and I'm fighting it, and and Dave's like, what.
Speaker 4: Do I do?
Speaker 1: What do I do? I'm like, like, get the elbow, Get the elbow. He's like, what I say, get the elbow. He's like, it's a heathen snake.
Speaker 4: Where's the elbow? You know?
Speaker 1: So I was like, oh, but we actually it was a fight.
Speaker 6: She kicked our butts all over the place, and at the end of it, the snake is like done. I'm laying on top of the snake. Dave's late, you know, leaned against a tree, and he's like, uh, yeah, this is kind of cool.
Speaker 1: I think.
Speaker 4: So it took you you get into it level. So he's into it now. Yep.
Speaker 6: So he he uh, is my partner, he's my driver and my captain.
Speaker 1: So he goes out with me my captain.
Speaker 3: Deal the old joke about the two guys that go out. One guy gets bit by the poisonous steak and they says it gets bit in a private area, and the other guy runs and the doctor says, no problem, he's just got to suck out the poison. And the guy comes back and says, what did the doctor say? Doctor said, you're going to die? That's that would I would be your boyfriend in the truck with you with the fourteen foot.
Speaker 4: Python going sorry, honey, you're gonna die. She wins.
Speaker 5: Have you ever come across somebody who tried to take out a python and it managed?
Speaker 4: I think I read somewhere.
Speaker 5: A college kid that you had to unravel it had it had gone around him and if it had kept going.
Speaker 4: Good.
Speaker 1: Yes, Jake is awesome. He's a very very good hunter.
Speaker 6: And he was with some of his buddies that weren't hunters, and they came across the record nineteen foot python and it was, I mean, it was a pretty big snake. So I pull up as as this, I see him kind of pull the tail a little bit.
Speaker 1: The python goes to strike and he jumps on it.
Speaker 6: So this is when I'm walking out getting out of my truck and he's on the ground and it's kind of wrapping them up. And there's these three kids just standing in there, and so I was like, hey, do you guys need some help?
Speaker 1: And he's like, Amy, I know you have tape. I know you have tape tape of mouth. So I was like yep.
Speaker 6: So I told the two the kids, I'm like, hey, pull the tail, you know, and so they did, and then I pulled the coil off of his shoulder so he could actually sit up right, and then you know, we got the mouth tape.
Speaker 1: But that that was a big snake. That was That was pretty cool.
Speaker 3: I know the the the arena for hunting these animals is probably male dominated, but do you ever get attitudes from these guys or are you one of the guys?
Speaker 4: If you're doing this, you're one of the guys.
Speaker 6: You know, I don't ever get any attitude. It's everybody's in this for a different reason. And even though you know, yes, it tends to seem like it would be more of a masculine thing, it's everybody's on the same team. Yeah, you know, we're all we're all well supportive, even though it gets kind of competitive within within it, and you know there's always some drama. They're always going to have that, But for the most part, you know, everybody, we get along.
Speaker 1: We are a team. We're trying to get this done and you know, however we can do it.
Speaker 5: We're how many people right now are working catching pythons and how many are the.
Speaker 1: Catching The state has one hundred contractors.
Speaker 6: And I'm not part of that program anymore because I went I started doing the guiding because you know, as Jason had mentioned.
Speaker 4: You need to make a living, get rip right, right, right? Yeah, So, how many snakes?
Speaker 5: How many snakes of the hundreds of thousands that a half do you guys eradicate a year?
Speaker 6: Do you think, well, since the beginning of these programs in twenty seventeen.
Speaker 1: Twenty thousand is how many.
Speaker 4: We've caught, and so I prevented the birth of we have.
Speaker 6: But that's nothing compared to the potentially five hundred thousand that are out there. I mean, we are the most effective tool right now, the hunters, and it's an average of one Python every twelve hours is what we're doing. And so that's that's not that's not great, but it's the most effective thing we have, even though there's a ton of research going on right now to try to figure out a better way.
Speaker 1: You know, we can't give up in the meantime. We can't just say oh, Python's you win.
Speaker 6: You know, we have to try because somebody at some point will come up with some way to be more effective.
Speaker 3: Is there anything if somebody was hearing this story and they wanted to be of service, either with a donation or in some way, Is there is there any way that people that are concerned about this can contribute to the effort.
Speaker 6: We've got the National parks, you know, donations for the National Parks are you know that a lot of that does go into the Python program. You know, you can actually if you like the Jewelry and the bracelets. You can, you know, buy some of those because a piece that you know, it not only funds me, helps fund me to be able to stay out there and do this, but it also you know, I give I've donated. Uh let's see, I'm at over four hundred thousand now since I've started this. I donate hunts to charities in southwest Florida. So I've raised I think, man, I think it's like four hundred and thirty thousand so far.
Speaker 5: And nothing wound so hard like seeing Amy take out senior citizens from from the southern Florida after those hunts. Amy, thank you so much for coming on, and thank you for success, for helping for your great work.
Speaker 3: Congrats on your on your practically record break Amy.
Speaker 4: Time be safe.
Speaker 1: Thanks for having means.
Speaker 5: So I've learned a couple of things here. Number one, I'm not going to marry her.
Speaker 4: I'm not going to be a hard fiance.
Speaker 5: I'm not going to the other place. I'm not going to Florida probably not Florida either. But but the interesting thing, because it's so out of control and all the government agencies say you can't eradicate them, you just can't. Because there's so many what they're thinking of doing and what they're trying to do. They're all you're doing with tracking, Well, they'll put the food out like a possum with a GPS thing so that the snake can eat it and maybe they can track the snake. But also they're thinking what they did genetically to modify mosquitoes where they just the only offspring they have is mail.
Speaker 4: So that even if they give eggs that it's that.
Speaker 5: And they're trying to use drones, although as she said, the fascinating thing is that an eighteen foot long snake you don't see it. And the only hope is that with invasive species, other species are now going, let's eat the egg and they're starting there's adapt there's adaptation. Well what happens, there's adaptation because the species that are prayer are called naive species because they've never experienced it before. Said they don't know, but hopefully over time there's adaptability and the cougar goes, well, screw that, I'm eating the eggs so that they can possibly get ahead of this, but I don't know.
Speaker 3: I can tell you is she she blew right by, you know, because she doesn't have it.
Speaker 4: The whole fear of snake thing.
Speaker 3: I remember Dan and I years ago, my wife and I were in a place called America's Stonehenge. And if I can find these photographs, I think we can. I know where they are, I'll post I'll put them on our website, okay, because my wife mounted them like this. So America's Stonehenge was a was a natural Uh. Some tribes a home, you know, tribal home, and they built their homes. They would dig down into the so they built like these little huts and things under the under the top of the air. I think that would be a little steps down. So you so big things. You go down and you stand in the entrance of one of the little homes and you take a photograph. So dana'sna's on the surface and I'm down and there's ground levels right right.
Speaker 4: So casually ha ha.
Speaker 3: Now at the time, if you saw the beginning of Seinfeld, I used to have this big thick strip of hair down the middle. I had the bald patch in the back and the hair line was receding, but I had this yes strip of hair going across the middle. So in the first photograph, i'm my head is up and I'm cocky and I'm leaning this thing between photograph one and two, and she literally went click click, That's how she went. I noticed after click number one, there's a snake at my elbow where I'm leaning, and I panicked so badly. I pull my arm away, head down and I begin to run out as she goes click.
Speaker 4: But I've now exposed hair as lock on my head.
Speaker 3: It looks like the hair leapt off of my head because I saw a snake at my elbow.
Speaker 4: That's how bad. So you know what else I want to post.
Speaker 5: In prepping for this, we talked about animals and weird animals and people who collect weird animals, and especially emotional supporter because we always see at the at the like the Farmer's market or Sunday the guy with the cockatail on the shoulder for the exotic pets screaming for attention. Yes, but there's a guy, his name is Joseph Hanney, who is an emotional support alligator that he takes the schools. He carries it like a baby he sleep, but he sleeps with it and it looks so adorable. And I would never think that an alligator could have that kind of relationship with somebody. If you seen the video, have you seen this? Google heem David Gogo, I just have that. It's stunning. Right, the thing is has a relationship with I hope it works out. It's working out. He's had it for a long time. And I promise you, before that animal and he apart from.
Speaker 3: This world something, it's going to be sitting next to me on an airplane. Because I get the people who bring their emotional support animals. Okay, please, I don't understand that world. We should do an episode about emotional support animals and people that need them and why it happens.
Speaker 4: I don't mean to denigrate anybody, but.
Speaker 3: For God's sake, yes you do, Yes you do. I have seen pop gully pigs. I have seen somebody brought a peacock. A peacock on an airplane. I didn't sit next to that one.
Speaker 4: But so are we? Where are we? What do we doing? What kind of person has the whole world of animals to pick from? And I don't want a puppy.
Speaker 3: I want I need a pincock, an emotional support alligator.
Speaker 4: Check this out?
Speaker 3: How usually these are for people who have anxiety and it comes them.
Speaker 4: How anxious. Do you have to be to go? You know what I need? Alligator?
Speaker 5: Google? Hon, is this not the most passive sweet alligator? I mean it's stunning, right, it's really shocking what this relates.
Speaker 4: Seem to have a symbiotic relationship. Have you seen it, Jason, No, you've got to watch it. Put it on the website.
Speaker 3: Okay, learn where did we miss?
Speaker 4: Yes, David, Yeah, the periscopic.
Speaker 5: That's that's quite a.
Speaker 7: Animals that are not supposed to be in Florida are are quite quite numerous.
Speaker 4: It just really starts with with the Burmese python.
Speaker 7: There are five hundred non native fish and wildlife have been reported in Florida, and there are fifty eight of those species who are established, which means they're they're they're not they're mating, they're doing just fine. You're not going to get rid of them now. Fifty eight Oh maybe that's not too bad. Well, fifty eight is twice as many as the next most diverse non native reptile and amfibity in community, which would be Hawaii at thirty two.
Speaker 4: So everything loves living in Florida.
Speaker 3: So apparently, and we should say David and Farba, it's because they don't have to state taxes.
Speaker 5: Can I add to that though, because this is a big point, is a true point. If you're listeners can go, well, you're talking about snakes, but that doesn't impact me, et cetera. It does because with the climate change, with it's getting warmer and warmer, species are moving because their environment is no longer their native environment because it's changed so much as far as right, so they're all a lot of species are moving to other places. So you're talking about invasive species. The planet is changing in a big way as far as invasive species. So we're gonna have some problems and things we got to figure out. When we had the rodent guy, the rat expert, I mean, he said, the way to eradicate the rats is to change ours. The only way to do is to change our behavior. But if they've got half a million pythons down there and they're moving north, yeah, and we've got areas in cold areas that are flooding.
Speaker 4: Yeah, animals are going to be moving on those areas.
Speaker 3: To learn, Peter is all you have to do is get a black baggy, jump on the head and put it on and put the baggie over the head, and these things are little puppies.
Speaker 4: I'm going to try that with my cousin behind the years. Do they have ears? I don't know.
Speaker 5: Christmas, I'm trying to have my cousin because nothing calms him down.
Speaker 4: I'm going to try that. I don't know. You know what, I'm done. I'm done.
Speaker 3: We've talked about snakes and I'm squeamish and I'm done.
Speaker 5: But we talked about invasive speech. That important inder you neighborhood something did blame me when you're there, You're an invasive And by the way, I love the GOOGLEHN talks about that.
Speaker 4: You know how many things came here they shouldn't be here.
Speaker 3: You moved there in Florida, for God's sake, examined.
Speaker 4: You also snowbirds every winterday. David. Just know, if we have to get rid of you, a little cluck to the head, you'll be on God just and then I just.
Speaker 5: On that if you got if you got the thing's hair already, yeah, shouldn't you just do it off instead of let's lull them to sleep and then we cannot.
Speaker 4: No, that's not it's humane.
Speaker 5: If you're killing them when you're stunning them, why not you cunning them.
Speaker 4: You know, that doesn't kill them. That stuns them. So I feel if I'm a snake, I'm going get it over with already. What's with this with the Well, here's the problem.
Speaker 3: Even if like you know this, if you behead the snake and you go, okay, we're.
Speaker 4: Done, it's still doing its thing.
Speaker 3: The body can still coil, the head can still bite.
Speaker 5: But if you do the no No Country for old men saying and dude, boom, it stuns them.
Speaker 4: They're they're essentially brain dead, but they're not dead.
Speaker 3: They could still around and go I don't know what I'm doing it.
Speaker 4: Oh my god. All right, let's go on a hunt for one episode.
Speaker 3: I'm going to the airport. I'll see I'm got my plane ticket. I'll see the evil game later. Go ahead, Nunsen know us snake.
Speaker 4: Us away really now, really.
Speaker 2: Really really, As another episode of Really No Really comes to a close, I know you may have heard the legends of the Lost City in the Florida Everglades and are wondering what the deal is. Well, I'll tell you all about it as soon as we thank our guest Amy Suey on X. She is at Amy Suey on Instagram and YouTube. She is at the Python Huntress and if you want to see Amy capture her biggest Python single handed, you can watch her on her website, Python Huntress dot com. Find all pertinent links in our show notes, our little show hangs out on Instagram, TikTok, YouTube, and threads at really No Really podcast And of course you can share your thoughts and feedback with us online at reallynoreally dot com. If you have a really some amazing factor story that boggles your mind, share it with us and if we use it, we will send you a little gift. Nothing life changing, obviously, but it's the thought that counts. Check out our full episodes on YouTube, hit that subscribe button and take that bell. So here updated when we release new videos and episodes, which we do each Tuesday. So listen and follow us on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts or wherever you get your podcasts. And now, was there really a lost city hidden in the Everglades? Well, as far as researchers know, there sure is or was. It's believed the city was originally a seminole village. During the Civil War. Is rumored that almost forty Confederate soldiers may have hit out there with a considerable fortune in stolen gold, only to be killed by Seminole warriors. Why the city might have been abandoned is unknown, but according to the Florida Sun Sentinel and other sources, famed mobster al Capone built a three acre compound there to house an illegal saloon from which he produced moonshine during Prohibition.
Speaker 4: Today, vegetation has reclaimed this.
Speaker 2: Area of the Everglades, and no one is precisely sure where the Lost City is, as no roads have survived leading to it. The Seminoles still consider it holy ground. This may partly be because the Lost City is considered the home of the legendary Skunk Ape, a sort of relative of Bigfoot. The skunk Ape has been spotted, photographed, and even encountered, but never actually proven to exist, Much like my residual payments for this program, no really doing It Really is a production of iHeartRadio and Blase Entertainment.