Speaker 1: Hey, folks, it's Lyle. Before we get into the episode, I wanted to talk to you guys about a new thing I'm doing where you can help support my lizard endeavors by becoming a Premium member of this podcast over at Therapy Gecko dot supercast dot com. Premium members, or gek Legends, as I call them, we'll be able to get every new and existing episode of Therapy Gecko completely ad free. They'll also get a bonus podcast episode once a month, a bonus live show episode once a month from all of the live shows I've been doing around the world, a member's only live stream once a month. Plus you'll also support my ability to continue, hopefully doing this podcast for a long time, doing it around the world, and also supporting my ability to occasionally go eat a slice of pizza. Go to Therapy Gecko dot supercast dot com or find the link in the episode description to become a gek Legend. Today. All right, let's get into the episode.
Speaker 2: Call from Amy.
Speaker 1: Hello, Hello, Hi, Amy, what's going down? Amy? Am I on the speakerphone right now?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: You are sorry, I'm outside.
Speaker 1: Can you take me off the speakerphone place?
Speaker 2: Let me try I gotta find some headphones to do that.
Speaker 1: I mean, you, guys, what do you mean? Just you just take me off speakerphone and you put it you the way that people used to do phones is just put it up to their ear.
Speaker 2: Well, I know, but I'm on a laptop right now.
Speaker 1: You're right, you're calling me on a laptop.
Speaker 2: Yeah, my phone was dying.
Speaker 1: Why are you going to? Where are you right now? Are you at a house?
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're in Mississippi near the beach.
Speaker 1: Okay, can you go inside?
Speaker 2: I'm inside?
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: What's up Amy? How you doing? What's going on with you? How's life?
Speaker 2: It's pretty wild. I'm actually here with my best friend. We were calling because we actually got dumped two weeks apart from each other, and that was just a real bonding experience.
Speaker 1: Okay, So is this is this like girls weekend? Like we're both we're both freshly single, going to go out to the beach and party type vibes. I can't I can only hear one of you guys.
Speaker 2: Oh that was Brent. So yeah, we're just trying to have a good, good girls.
Speaker 1: Week Okay, how we're both of the breakups like bad? Were they hard breakups? Or were they?
Speaker 2: Yeah? It was brutal.
Speaker 1: What made them brutal?
Speaker 4: One of them packed his stuff the night before and just did not want to tell me that he did not want to live there anymore and just left wall.
Speaker 1: He packed his stuff the night before. He did he ever tell you that he didn't want to live there.
Speaker 2: He told me in the morning.
Speaker 1: That's kind of smart, to be completely honest.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it's so rude.
Speaker 1: Well when that doesn't that make sense when you want to pack up. Look, here's the thing is, if you're moving out, like, wouldn't you want to pack up all your stuff first and then tell them that you're moving out before you know? Because we've all seen the like in the movies where somebody will like, you know, like there's a guy like standing on the street and then like a girl like throwing all this stuff out the window. You know what I'm talking about.
Speaker 2: See, that was basically my situation.
Speaker 1: Who am I talking to? I can only hear one of you guys.
Speaker 2: Well, this is Amy Now, Yeah, I kind of did the whole throwing stuff off the porch thing.
Speaker 1: Wait, so you threw his stuff off the porch?
Speaker 2: It was a girl stuff. Uh, we hadn't been living together. We had broken up and then got back together, and then I just had some possessions still, and I got dumped over text while I was in a COVID quarantine. So I just kind of freaked out and threw everything in the yard.
Speaker 1: So it sounds like the guy who packed his stuff up beforehand kind of had the right idea.
Speaker 2: I you know, I can't really disagree with you that it was a good method.
Speaker 1: Okay, So so I'm gonna I'm gonna live. I'm just gonna talk. Can you Can you put me on a phone, by the way, can I or know you're on your laptop?
Speaker 5: Fuck it?
Speaker 1: Who cares?
Speaker 6: All?
Speaker 1: Right, So your breakup was over text and you had COVID, and so you threw all of this stuff out. So why did you throw all of his stuff all out of the window.
Speaker 2: It wasn't the window, it was the porch. But I just was like, we've already broken up once before. I don't need to like be sentimental. I just need to like get this stuff out of my face, because if I'm gonna be trapped in my house alone, I can't be trapped in my house alone with a bunch of stuff that reminds me of a bad time.
Speaker 1: Did you just like leave it out on the porch?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 1: What kind of stuff was it?
Speaker 2: Like clothes and dishes from each other's house? And like, oh jeez, I.
Speaker 8: Don't really know.
Speaker 2: We like had cats, so there was like some cats supplies.
Speaker 1: Did you how the cat food out?
Speaker 2: Not cat food? There's like a cat carrier And I kind of feel bad because it was like covered in pea, but it was covered in her cat's peace, So like, I don't know, I only felt bad because I was supposed to clean it and then I just kind of threw all her stuff on top of a cat feed carrier. Not intentional though.
Speaker 1: So how long were you guys to go together before that?
Speaker 2: Like two years?
Speaker 7: All right?
Speaker 1: How did they react to use throwing this is is your girlfriend your ex girlfriend?
Speaker 2: Ex girlfriend? But at that point we had gotten back together kind of after a few months, and we never like really said if we were like girlfriends again or not.
Speaker 1: How did how did she react to you throwing her stuff out of the on the porch.
Speaker 2: I don't think she knew because a lot of friends and just like helped me take stuff to her. I think she might have picked up some of this stuff. I think I might have put it in trash bags once it was outside. I can't remember. I was really sick. Like that whole week was just a total blurk.
Speaker 1: So so both of these ended badly.
Speaker 7: Yeah, all right?
Speaker 1: How old are you guys? Uh?
Speaker 2: Twenty three and twenty one?
Speaker 1: Okay? What what is your plan for the week? Are you like going bar hopping? Are you so? Okay? Let me ask you a question about this weekend? Is this weekend or it's fucking Monday? But whatever? Is every I don't every every every day is day? All right? So this trip not this weekend? This trip? Is this a like is this a going out to get laid trip? Or is this like a going to forget?
Speaker 2: I didn't say it, but she said it on the way up here. She goes, I think our only goal should be eating crawfish and getting laid, And I was like, I can't like argue with you on that point.
Speaker 1: Nice crawfish and pussy the only things on the menu.
Speaker 2: You know, I could I could get down with that. I feel like I here about seafood?
Speaker 1: So are you? What are you do?
Speaker 4: You?
Speaker 1: Guys?
Speaker 7: Like?
Speaker 1: Where is this again? You're in Florida?
Speaker 2: Almost like we're in Mississippi, like just kind of in the Delta area.
Speaker 1: What is that where you guys? Do you guys live in Mississippi?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: Okay, why hold on? Why did you pick Mississippi.
Speaker 2: To go vac family? My family lives down here.
Speaker 1: Okay are you living?
Speaker 6: Are you?
Speaker 1: Wait? Is your dog sitting for your family? So your family's not there?
Speaker 2: No, they're not there.
Speaker 1: Okay. I feel like yeah, because I feel like Mississippi is not the greatest going out to get laid vacation place, but.
Speaker 2: Not New Orleans.
Speaker 1: Oh you guys, are you guys going to gonna gonna go to New Orleans as part of the trip?
Speaker 4: Yees?
Speaker 2: Just today?
Speaker 1: Just today? What what are you gonna do in New Orleans?
Speaker 2: We like spooky stuff, so we'll probably check that out and eat vignets and uh, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Probably get drunk that watch out for STDs. There's probably some gnarly stuff flowing around there.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you both said I hadn't use it.
Speaker 2: Get tested.
Speaker 1: Okay, so what did you so you you two broke up at the same time. That was nice. Did you did you emotionally support each other?
Speaker 2: Yes, like a lot.
Speaker 1: It was.
Speaker 2: It was messy, but it was cute for us to have each other at least.
Speaker 1: I mean, well, oka, way, so I'm talking to you, let me talk. Give the laptop to what Brianna is her name? When let me give the laptop to Brent. How was your breakup? I only heard about it through and I mean you guys, I have no idea which of you was talking, but.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we have very similar voices. It was interesting. We had a puppy and everything together and he had just woke up one day and he was like, I can't do this anymore and just walked out, and I was okay bye. That was like literally the first thing he said in the morning.
Speaker 1: It was like, okay, damn. So did you have no idea that he was even remotely feeling like that?
Speaker 4: Not really, I mean I had a little bit of an idea, but I didn't think it was that bad.
Speaker 2: Let me just say, as a best friend, I knew it was going to happen into it really.
Speaker 5: Okay.
Speaker 1: So so so first of all, okay, tell me your what you said. You had a little idea, What where where did that little idea come from? What did he do to give you that little idea?
Speaker 4: We had gotten into a fight some months before and he was trying to light to me about something and I had called him out on it, and then he was trying to light to me about it again, and then I like I was like fuck you dude, like stop it. And then like after that, I had a feeling. I was like, Oh, I messed up, And yeah.
Speaker 1: But what was he lying to you about? Oh, did you want to share?
Speaker 4: I didn't even remember what it was.
Speaker 2: It was just something stupid, okay.
Speaker 1: And then uh, Amy, you had a you you you knew it was going on. You had far more than an inkling of an idea.
Speaker 5: What gave you the.
Speaker 1: What gave you the strong confidence that that this was impending?
Speaker 2: I don't know. We just both talked about each other's relationships, like really openly, and there was just the way that she talked about one fight that they had that like I just kind of like, this is hurting you on a different.
Speaker 5: Level.
Speaker 2: It was just obviously striking a chord with her that I hadn't really seen before, and we get like very emo together, so like, I don't know, I could just tell something was different this time.
Speaker 1: Hm hmm. Do you feel like that has this has this girl's weekend to Missouri been therapeutic so far.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it has been.
Speaker 1: Yes, what the fun? What is there? Where? Where in Missouri is like southern?
Speaker 5: I don't.
Speaker 1: Oh Mississippi?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Are they? They're the same place, aren't they.
Speaker 2: I mean there's a lot of nothing in both.
Speaker 1: So there's a seven eleven. Look, all I'm saying is in Missouri right now, there are two girls named Jamie and Flynn. Yeah, and they're broke up with their boyfriends who also have similar names, and they're doing the exact same thing. That's how similar Missouri and Mississippi are. The Missouri people, they're gonna go on a crazy bender in Columbus, Ohio.
Speaker 2: Damn.
Speaker 4: Columbus. Why.
Speaker 1: I don't know why for any of anything that I say?
Speaker 6: Ever?
Speaker 1: What? What's? What? Huh? Do you are you? Are you looking for love or just just blind passion? And you guys keep saying things in Unison. Both of you guys are not looking for love, You're just looking for passion this weekend?
Speaker 7: Sure, Okay?
Speaker 1: What are you open to love? Or have you closed yourself off to it?
Speaker 2: It's only been like three months and that's like after three years of loving Somebody's like, I don't know I'm probably not ready for that, but it's cool if it happens, I guess. Yeah, same here for the most part.
Speaker 1: Well, you know what I think. I think you guys don't need to look for love because I think you have it right here. You seem to have a deep love for each other. Yeah, that's beautiful. I think I think it's good that you're leaning into that. This is like, you know, because that's the thing, or I can just tell here's the thing. The fact that you guys are on a girl's trip to Mississippi. It's Mississippi, right, it's not Missouri. Yeah, it's okay. The fact that you guys are on a girl's trip to Mississippi and then you're still out here with the you know, going out to get laid, going out, the party mindset, whatever it is all. You know what it means. It means that all you guys need to have a party, to go crazy, to live your best life easy each other, And it doesn't even matter that you're in Mississippi.
Speaker 2: So real, I'm gonna cry it. Yeah, I think it kind of does matter.
Speaker 1: No, it matters a little bit. But well, is there anything else you guys want to say to the people of the computer before we go. Any final thoughts on any of this.
Speaker 2: Thank you all, practice safe, suck, go, get tested, don't cheat. Uh, give your pets some love for me. That's all.
Speaker 1: Take care, get blessed.
Speaker 2: Bless you too.
Speaker 1: I don't know somebody, I'm gonna get a d M from somebody in Mississippi being like, no, we have a bar. It's called Shuckers and it's corn themed and I got laid there last week. And you know what, I'm sure whoever dms me that is telling the truth. And I gotta go.
Speaker 6: All from Forest.
Speaker 1: Hello, Hello, Hi, who is this?
Speaker 6: This is Forest?
Speaker 1: How you doing Forrest?
Speaker 6: I'm all right?
Speaker 7: How are you.
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 5: Man?
Speaker 1: What's going on with you? Uh?
Speaker 6: Not much? I just finished a six hour shift and I'm waiting for my partner to come over.
Speaker 1: Well, a six hour shift doing what.
Speaker 6: I make momoothies. I work at Dumba Juice.
Speaker 1: I've never been a big Jamba juice sky.
Speaker 6: It's honestly, I don't blame you. It's a lot of sugar and a lot of sweet. But if you get our plant based stuff, I love all that. It's just like all natural and like really yummy. I like it.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, well you see, you have a twisted I actually I like the sugary bad stuff and the natural like carrot stuff. I don't like. Oh I should, I should, I should eat more blended carrots and whatnot.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's honestly I need to as well, but I really don't like the way blended carrots smell. It just smells like a farm start up.
Speaker 1: Mm hmmm hmm. Okay, so you just finished the six hour shift and your partner is coming home. Well, I'll let me ask you that, is there any particular reason why you called in? It's okay if not.
Speaker 6: Sorta not super particular, but like I guess sorta, I guess, all.
Speaker 1: Right, what's the sort of what's the sort.
Speaker 6: Of I just got out of like an almost three year serious relationship about three months ago, and I have started I'm a new relationship now that I've been in for like two weeks and it's been going really well. It's really nice and I don't feel like pressure or anything in any aspect. But like, just because of how society views like relationships and stuff, my brain is like, did I move on too fast? Am I doing the right thing? But like I don't feel anxious at all. I only feel anxious because I think I'm supposed to hah. So I don't know, it's kind of a silly I'm just trying to like go with the flow and hope and just like let god life take me where it wants to.
Speaker 5: Flah.
Speaker 1: Man, well, I don't know.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 1: The brain's a weird thing. It did. It'll it'll tell you if something's wrong and make you wonder whether or not it actually is.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's it's really confusing, and like, I'm at a point. I mean, I'm only like nineteen, but I'm at a point in my life now where I just let things happen and I just like hope I can deal with it, and if I can't, then I help I get my people to help me.
Speaker 1: That sounds good. That doesn't sound like a bad way to go about doing things. You feel like you moved on too fast.
Speaker 6: I feel like that. I think that I was already over the relationship much earlier than when it ended. But everyone around me is like, are you sure you're moving on like the right speed? And I'm like, I know myself, I know me, but everyone's making me doubt myself. So I'm like, do I know me.
Speaker 1: Wait a minute, well, I mean, I mean I don't know, man like this, this is uh what you've been with this person for two weeks?
Speaker 6: Yeah, well almost three. We just started like seeing each other.
Speaker 1: It's pretty casual, okay, and you let me look you're feeling good about it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he's super nice. I enjoy him a lot.
Speaker 1: Okay. I mean from what you've told me, doesn't sound like uh that crazy of a crazy of a problem.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean, I don't know. I I'm just not scared of getting my heartbroken like most people are, so I feel like I can deal.
Speaker 1: With fascinating, fascinating. Tell me more about that. Why are you not scared of getting your heartbroken like most people? Lie?
Speaker 6: My guess is that I just I guess I'd was kind of like cringe, but I've experienced it a lot, so it's just something I'm pretty used to. And like being like disappointed from people is that Like this sounds so sad, but like genuinely, I'm so used to people disappointing me, so when people do now, I just don't get surprised anymore. And I'm like, all right, whatever.
Speaker 3: M.
Speaker 6: So it doesn't really bother me. And like I feel, I feel like inhuman almost sometimes.
Speaker 1: Like you know, you know, you should talk to a real therapist about this. I'm very curious what they would say. That's a fascinating thing. Well, that's a fascinating thing that you bring up, that you that you are used to disappointment, so and yeah, yeah, yeah, that you're that you're used to disappointment. So when it happens, you're not even disappointed anymore, and you're one. And and the debate about whether or not that's a sad thing or if it's a good thing because it's helped you not to I don't know, be so invested in in external things. Yeah, I'm thinking about it. I'm really into like I've been try trying to. I'm trying to get more into like stoic philosophy stuff, and I feel like that's a h a tenant of that, like trying not to put your weight so heavily in anything external that that gives it the power to, you know, emotionally harm you. I don't know if I don't know if that's sad or not. That's a good question.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I honestly like I've been I grew up Buddhist, so I've been like trying to really like follow the mentality of just having attachments is eternal suffering. And yeah, yeah, I've probably been taking that too literally and doing that with everything ever, but I genuinely it's this sounds a little crazy, but it's so relieving when shitty things happen and I don't feel like the world is ending around me, and I'm like, I can do this, I can handle this, like whatever.
Speaker 1: You know. Yeah, I mean, look, you say it sounds sad, and I don't really there might be something more complex going on there that I don't understand, but that does sound like a good thing. It sounds I mean, it sounds very monk like.
Speaker 6: I mean, I tried how I was raised. It's I just like, I don't know. It took me a long long time to just be chill with everything.
Speaker 1: But anyways, are you are you tell me more about being raised Buddhists, like both your parents we were Buddhists.
Speaker 6: Yeah, well, my dad practiced it more. My mom was just kind of like there, but like he was mostly him. We had like lots of I think the biggest thing we had around our house was just tons and tons and tons of Buddhist statues is hairy psychotics. But my dad taught me meditation and how to like let go of things and that like holding on to materialisms and stuff like that is never going to get you anywhere in life. And if you really want to be happy, only hold on to the things you truly deeply put in your heart to heart?
Speaker 1: Is that kind of Is that a philosopher that your dad gave you?
Speaker 6: He passed it down to me, And for a long time when didn't agree with it, I always was like, yeah, I'm gonna surround myself by things like for you, Dad, But I realized that it's true. It's like not like having things you truly only care about bring such peace and relaxation, at least for me. You know, someone else might live the opposite and be happy as hell, but.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: You know, it's funny. I've read I've like, by ready any overall footnotes. Anytime on this podcast, I say that I've read into something and means I skimmed a Wikipedia article once. Okay, well that's that's what that means. As I've briefly read into some Buddhism stuff and it just I know that's the central tenant. I usually I don't do like deep dives. I usually just I get the central tenants and I think on it, you know, so that I mean that's central tenant, that the attachment is suffering. I mean it's an interesting idea, right, because it's kind of true. You know when I think about like things that make me suffer, things that I guess make anybody suffer are like attachments, attachments to people, attachments to jobs, attachments to things, attachments to you know, places, and I mean, fuck even attachment to your own life.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 6: It's just I mean, like exactly the root of all evil in my opinion and a lot of others is attachments are the evil, and and money and stuff like that too. It's just like, I money is really what it comes to. I can go onto this. I'm not gonna chat your ear off, but it's yeah, I've been like trying to just not hold onto things, whether that be people that make me feel shitty or objects that I just keep up space or shit like that, or a job that makes me unhappy, like I let go of so much in the past like four months. It's I feel like I've started not just a new chapter, but a new book of my life, and I'm only nineteen, so I can't wait to like make more books. I guess with my life.
Speaker 1: I like that. I like that. Yeah, you know, I'll say this before we go. I know you have a lot of people in your life telling you that you know, maybe that you're you're going about this the wrong way. But I mean, look, especially because you're only fucking nineteen, I feel like you can you know this, this this way of life that you have going for you right now that you're into of letting go really easily and being sort of transient through everything, give it, give it a shot, and you know, figure out on your own whether or not it's beneficial for you.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's a far time to run that experiment.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's like the best part about being alive and this young is that I have so much time to do things like That's what's me really going is knowing how much I haven't even tasted of life yet. There's so much.
Speaker 1: What is your name again?
Speaker 6: Forest?
Speaker 1: Forest?
Speaker 7: Uh?
Speaker 1: Well, Forest, have a good rest of your life. I'm gonna you've inspired me after this. After I'm done recording this, I'm gonna I'm gonna skim a little bit more on the Wikipedia page for Buddhism.
Speaker 6: Well, I'm glad that I've got you interested. It's a great way to live.
Speaker 1: Is there anything else you gonna say to the people the computer before we go?
Speaker 6: Respect all life, no matter what. That's all I want to say. Take care, man, Thanks until your day. Goodbye all from Alan?
Speaker 7: Pick up my guy.
Speaker 1: I just did.
Speaker 7: Hello. Hello, it's me.
Speaker 1: What's up?
Speaker 7: How are you? Man?
Speaker 1: I'm doing good man? How are you?
Speaker 7: I'm chilling, bro and chimming real. I always want to say congrats you like you came so far, Bro, Like I've been seeing me since twenty twenty man, for real, So like.
Speaker 1: Thanks Man, I'm it's so funny. Every day I'm like how much longer am I?
Speaker 5: Well?
Speaker 1: Am I allowed to do this? And you know, look every day every day that that God or Jesus or Moses lets me live in a universe where I'm a gecko on the computer talking to strangers. It's a good day. It's a good day.
Speaker 5: What are you up to?
Speaker 1: What's is there a thing that you called in to want to talk about?
Speaker 5: Alan?
Speaker 2: Bro?
Speaker 7: I what's not my real name? I had to use something fake just because, like you know, I didn't want to, like, well, you never know whoever can be watching this ship.
Speaker 1: But like I don't get why people. I don't understand why people do people do this all the time. They say they say they say my name is Alan, but that's a fake name. The whole point of the fake name is that it's I'm supposed to think it's real. Why do people keep saying that their fake names are fake? That in validates the point of the fake names?
Speaker 7: Funny, right, I don't know, just human error. I don't know, dude. I just I just do it just to protect my identity. Man. But anyway, yo, so thank you for like taking up Yo. So, like I have like this like this love connection romantic situation type of thing, and I wanted to like break it down to you, even though like I kind of figured it out. I just kind of just wanted to talk to you about it because like I just kind of been like obsessed with this woman that like kind of inspired me in like in a musical in a music like art way, you know. So, like I'm a DJ and I'm producer, and I like I've been doing that since I was sixteen. I'm thirty now, and and like I've recently just like started going back into the underground club scene and whatnot. And I've been seeing like the evolution of just like just me in general, just going out into different like environments and just exploring like different like just you know, like underground teams or whatever whatever. But anyway, I met her? Why didn't meet her? Why did I actually seen her? The first time? Djaying, I was so enamored by the way like she would spin or whatnot. And yeah, man, like ever since then, I've just been like changing on my style, bro, And I like, I have like a huge crush on her and brow like real and we bumped in a couple of times. But I would like I'd be so shy, Like I'm just like a shy dude when it comes to like someone like I have like this crush on and like you could tell, like some females are, like you can they can tell when like you're they can like like kind of like feel when you're like, oh, this dude has something from here, something here, he's acting weird whatever. But but yeah, it's been.
Speaker 6: Like a year.
Speaker 1: I gotta, I just gotta as we stand now at this point in the conversation, I am confused as to whether or not you know this woman or if she is somebody you saw on TV.
Speaker 7: No, I know her. I know her.
Speaker 1: We met, We met, okay, and did you ask her out on a date?
Speaker 7: Nah? Man, That's the thing. I don't know if it's ego or envy, and it's just a bunch of emotions that I feel. And it's just like I had to process this ship like I'm like, no, why am I ignoring her? Like idated like other girls, but like you're the ones that just like it's not It's just like one of those things where.
Speaker 1: Like, okay, what's your alan? Okay, we gotta slow down for a second. I gotta wrap my head around. Your brain is firing on all cylinders right now, and I need we need to slow down. I'm gonna wrap my head around this. So you have a you here's the here's the here's here's the great thing about being You're thirty. You said you're thirty. Yeah, Here's the great thing about being thirty compared to being twelve is that when you're twelve and you have a crush on a girl, there you really there's fucking nothing you can do about it. Really, I mean you can go up and you can ask her on a date. But you're not you're twelve. You can't take a girl out on a date. That's not anything. What you people normally do is they ask their friends to ask them if they like you, and then you kind of strategize and you're nervous and you have to kind of take all these peripheral actions around it. But you don't have to do that. You're thirty. You're an adult. That's the great thing about being an adult is if you like somebody and take your adult confidence and you go up to them, you tell them that you like them, and then you ask them if they would like to to you know whether or not maybe maybe they like you, or or you ask them if they would like to go out for them to see if they like you too, and and and it goes from being this horrifically. It gets complicated later when you It gets complicated once you're in a relationship, but the actual courting process is far less complicated than it was when you were twelve. You have that advantage, Alan, So tell me what in that courtship process, what are the the issues there? Plainly and simple, because here's because if you answer this with something that's like a thousand sentences long. It's just a tile of what's there. Please give me a straight answer to this.
Speaker 7: To this question the reason, Okay, I'll go slow. I'm kind of excited talking to you, bro.
Speaker 1: No, I'm excited to talk to you too. I'm just I just want to know. I just want to know what the issue is here.
Speaker 7: The thing is is that, well, I don't want to force it, I guess because you know now that she's like really a prominent DJ in the scene, Like, I don't know, like I just kind of feel like I just don't want to do follow her to every single event like she's eating.
Speaker 1: I don't want to Alan Alan, Alan, Alan Alan. Nobody said anything about following her to every event that she's at. What are you talking about?
Speaker 7: I don't know. I just don't want to be a weirdo, you know. And I think it's just just like somebody like this guy always like and he's just not saying anything to me, even though I'm giving him like like eyes and stuff. You know, I don't know, Mat, i'd be over calpulicating it.
Speaker 1: You know, You're well, I don't You're one hundred percent of over complicating this, I can just like an already tell are you does this? How many conversations have you had with this girl ship?
Speaker 7: Like probably like too too?
Speaker 1: Okay, do you word? Do you guys have some kind of thing where you're recurring least do you have her on the Instagram or the phone number or anything like that?
Speaker 7: The IG waves? Yeah, I do, but I don't have a number.
Speaker 1: Though, Okay, if you talked on the on the i G.
Speaker 7: I tried, man, but she doesn't follow me back, and so like I tried sending a message to her, but you know, at some point, it's just like I couldn't even make comments like on her IG stories. I don't know, man, like I just that's why you could?
Speaker 1: You could? What do you mean you couldn't make comments on her i G stories?
Speaker 7: Yeah? Like you know how some people just like you can make a comment and then like somehow some some random like some people just like kind of like turn off the comments of certain people can't like comment on their stories.
Speaker 1: Did she turn off your specific specifically your ability to comment on her stories?
Speaker 8: I don't maybe okay, has she wait.
Speaker 7: A minute, hold on weird, it's weird.
Speaker 1: Okay, when you talk to this person. When you talk to this person, how did the conversation go?
Speaker 7: I mean, it's pretty flow. It's just like, hey, how are you how you doing? He's like, Oh, I'm good, I'm good, I'm fine, this and that and like kind of just like just tries to not even like we'll not even try, but I guess doesn't try to like complete like it's just a small talk. But then like we bumped into certain places and it's like, excuse me to these eyes where it's just like okay, like you're giving me these eyes and like you're kind of showing me interest. But then again, like are you even shy like me? Like are we having the same type of like dilemma where none of us, like none of us are going to try to like innately try to like ask each other out, you know what I mean. So that type of vibe that I was getting, So it's just kind of like kind of like I kind of just came up to the conclusion because I was talking to them. I was like, yo, just let it go, and just like you're DJ too, right, And I was like yeah, like so yeah, you're going to be out in the scene and you're just going to be collaborating with the certain promoters. So probably oddly enough along that way, you're probably gonna beat up with her again and then you're gonna probably like have like a conversation but like off of like DJINGG or whatnot. So so, yeah, I had I had realized a couple of things about my situation. I realized that I can't put nobody on a pedestal, man, And I think that's my biggest thing. I can't. I think I was putting her on a pedestal, and I'm just like and and I'm just like, man, that's that's a no brain, I can't do that.
Speaker 8: You know what.
Speaker 1: You know, as I'm listening to you talk, I'm realizing I'm actually I'm actually rethinking everything I've said to you. Because I told you that the courting process I've made, I've made a whole bang about how it was easy. It's not. It's no part of any of this is easy, now that I'm now that i'm hearing you talk about it. No, it's difficult. It's all difficult because you know you're trying to First look, here's the thing. I don't know what the whole deal is with this Instagram thing. If you think you haven't blocked by her on Instagram, that is a clear sign, which is fine. You know, you'll live, you can move on with your life.
Speaker 7: Of course, it's better like that. I think. I think I just have to just let it go, dude, Like this whole life.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's truck. Can I tell you? I don't know you that well, but I know the one thing that I know about you is that this is driving you insane.
Speaker 7: Yeah, man, yeah, for like a year, dude, And I just like I'm like, man, why the fuck am I like even overthinking like this ship. Why don't I just approach it and then just end it and then be like fine, I fucking did it. And I don't have no fucking, like fucking crazy daydreams about this woman that like should have, could have would a scenarios that kill every man inside their mind, and it's just like it just disturbs you, you know what I mean? You know, I keep that under control. Like, don't get me wrong, I'm not crazy anything like that. But just like when you when you sincerely like kind of like feel a connection from somebody and it's like really like really like you feel it. It's just like that's like a point where it's like, damn, I don't want to be vulnerable, though, what if something crazy, Like what if I come off like like an idiot dude? No bro, like I'm spiritual like you, I feel like just some sort of spiritual also. But it's just like these people. Sometimes we have these connections with people and it's just like you can't really explain it. But then like either you go and jump and like jump in the water.
Speaker 1: Alan, Alan, Alan, look, Amata, I think you're a good guy. I really do. I think you're I think you're a sweet soul. I think one day you will find a woman who loves you as much as you love her. I think everything's gonna be okay with you. But I need to I need to tell you something.
Speaker 7: Alan, that's good.
Speaker 1: You've you've you've told me that you have spoken to this woman two times. Yeah, just okay. You've spoken this woman two times, and for an entire year, you have been using only the limited amount of information in your surface level conversations that you have had with this girl and assumptions that you have made from looking at her eyes to build up this this grandiose portrait of who she is that is based off of virtually no actual data or experience, and that's where you're working off of and falling in love with, and like we have both agreed upon, it is driving you insane. Yeah, okay, so look, you're your DJ, right, just just give me short answers. You're a DJ, right, okay. You you have a passion, you have there's a whole community of DJs. You go to parties, you meet tons of people. You have in your you're young, you have in your hands such a beautiful life to freely explore without the chains of this perceived image of a person that's weighing you down and driving you crazy. Release yourself from these chains and go live your fucking life, dude.
Speaker 7: Right, can you do that for him?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 7: Definitely, bro, definitely Okay, Okay, this is so good. This is so awesome, man. Like I definitely was not going to say, like money, no therapist. I was like, yo, let me, let me get you out, dude, because like I seen Ross like COVID and you had like JPEG Mafia and ship bros. I'm like, yo, You're like I did, I didn't have JPG MA.
Speaker 1: I'ld be cool if you.
Speaker 7: Want, Danny, I think you're right you Danny Danny Brown.
Speaker 1: No, you're probably thinking of Denzel Curry.
Speaker 7: That's so funny. Yeah dude, but yeah, man, like I appreciate you for picking because like, you know, it's it's you're right. It's like this perceived notion, like with no data, and it's just.
Speaker 1: Like, by the way, let me tell you, look, you're not you're not. Look people are Look, people are gonna try to meme on you, all right, They're gonna be like, you know, don't It's okay, it's what you're What you are doing is a natural human impulse. I've done it myself plenty of times, and it has driven me in my life crazy plenty of times. I remember when I used to be addicted to Tinder, Like, uh, you know, I would like send, like exchange two messages with some girl and like look at her pictures and just imagine you know, you you you project so many ideas of who she is and how you guys will get along, and it's it's based off of fucking nothing. But it could make you feel obsessed, okay, and you just you need to realize what's going on and you need to squash it and and open your brain up to the beautiful abundance of other things going on in your life that you've been shoving to the side in favor of this projected image you have of a person.
Speaker 5: Is this all?
Speaker 1: Is this speaking to you right now?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 7: Man? You are okay?
Speaker 1: Good? Good? Okay? Can you do that? Alan?
Speaker 7: Definitely? Definitely?
Speaker 1: Bro? What do you do? What kind of music do you make?
Speaker 7: Man? That's that's a good quest. I mean right now, I've been doing like club music. I do hip hop, I do R and B. You know.
Speaker 1: You're gonna be You're gonna hang out in the club, You're gonna meet people, you're gonna have you have a nice you have a nice life. Man, go live it, Okay, don't spend it in your brain fantasizing. Live in what's actually going on. You'll be happier.
Speaker 7: So yeah, it's like the best advice I've gotten.
Speaker 1: Is there anything else you want to say to the people of the computer before we go?
Speaker 7: Ah? Man, damn what else to say? Ah? Shit? Really live in the real life. I know this ship, like I probably somebody else probably goes through the same ship. I know y'all do. But like life is beautiful, you just got to fuck up here and there. But hey, that's why we take risks, right. It's better to just go out there and take a risk and not to right. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Oh yes, ah, you take care. I'll talk to you.
Speaker 7: Soon, you too, bro, Take care. Man.
Speaker 1: Look, you're we've all you know, don't. I feel like a lot of people have done stuff like that where they uh uh fantasize about a person to a point where you you've conflated your fantasy with reality and again it can drive you crazy. So wake the fuck up, live your life. Hello, folks, it's Lyle. So this next call is actually a street interview that I did in real life in the middle of the famous Shibuya crossing in Tokyo, Japan. Most of the people we interviewed there actually only spoke Japanese, so I had a translator with me the whole time. But the woman in this clip was visiting from Australia and told us some really fascinating stuff going on with her and her family and her life that I will let you guys hear for yourself. I love doing these videos where I travel around to foreign countries and interview people on the streets. I've done it in Mexico City, Guatemala, and now Japan. And if you like this interview, you like this format, and you want to watch the whole thing, I have linked it in the episode description. All right, let's go to Japan. Hi, Grace, Hi, how are you? I'm good?
Speaker 8: How are you?
Speaker 1: This is Kiko Hi.
Speaker 9: Nice to meet you and yours, Lyle Lion, Lyle Lyle.
Speaker 1: Yes, what are you doing here in Japan? Dude?
Speaker 9: I'm just traveling?
Speaker 5: Okay?
Speaker 1: Where is Where are you traveling from Australia? Oh?
Speaker 3: Yes, it's my second day in Tokyo and it's my first time being here.
Speaker 1: Oh really?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: What made you want to come all the way over to Tokyo.
Speaker 9: I've always wanted to come.
Speaker 3: It just happened that my brother he's also coming to Tokyo, but from Hong Kong.
Speaker 9: So I'm like, no, I'll meet you in Tokyo.
Speaker 1: Oh great, great, great?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: What what's life like back in Australia?
Speaker 3: Not very exciting, to be honest with you. Yeah, what are you doing? What are you guys doing here?
Speaker 5: You know I'm not one hundred percent sure myself.
Speaker 9: Oh what are here? Am I being filmed?
Speaker 1: You are being filmed? Is that Okay, yeah, that's fine. We're just doing little interviews with people who I happen to be walking by androsing.
Speaker 3: Okay, So do you guys have a YouTube channel or something?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's gonna be on YouTube maybe maybe.
Speaker 5: Maybe I don't know, maybe it'll just I'll just watch it myself.
Speaker 9: Okay, how how long have you guys been sitting here today?
Speaker 1: How long have we been sitting here today? You think? Let's see, let me check we've been We've been sitting here for oh, we've actually been sitting here for thirty eight minutes.
Speaker 9: Okay, that's not too long.
Speaker 1: We've been sitting here for thirty eight minutes and we've gotten very few people to come sit and talk.
Speaker 3: And I'm like number two or three something like that, something like that.
Speaker 9: That's actually not too bad.
Speaker 5: Not too bad, right? Your life?
Speaker 1: Like, tell me about Australia. What do you do?
Speaker 3: I'm an accountant, you're an accountant. Yes, it's not very exciting, but.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but yet you see you have an exciting energy about you. Really?
Speaker 9: Can you feel it?
Speaker 1: I can feel it? Can you feel the exciting energy?
Speaker 8: Really?
Speaker 1: What were you able to get time off from accounting to come here?
Speaker 9: I'm actually.
Speaker 3: Thinking about switching industry, maybe going to banking or something, but I don't know yet. Let's see if I can find a job, find a new job.
Speaker 9: But yeah, I actually had a pretty shitty year. That's why.
Speaker 1: Why did you have a shitty year, Grace?
Speaker 3: It's pretty sad because my dad passed away. Yeah, but you know, that's part of life. And yeah, it's kind of changed my perspective of things because he passed away really quickly, and it just happened very suddenly. And it was back in March, so back then, so they're all in Hong Kong. And back then, Hong Kong banned people coming in from Australia. So in order for me to go home, I had to go to New Zealand for two weeks to wash out two weeks, and once I reached Hong Kong, I still had to do.
Speaker 9: Two weeks quarantine.
Speaker 3: Took me like four weeks to see my family.
Speaker 1: Took you four weeks to your family.
Speaker 9: Yeah, yeah, it was really bad.
Speaker 3: And the saddest thing was my dad passed away on the day that I left for Hong Kong, so I didn't make it like the when I stepped on my trip like pretty much twelve hours later he's gone.
Speaker 9: So it was pretty traumatic.
Speaker 3: I would say, yeah, yeah, and and and then there are all these family issues that because of its passing that they were coming up. So I was like dealing with a lot of shitty, complex things. So I had a really shitty year. And that's part of the reason why. I mean, I'm in Japan now because I'm like, stop it. I'm just gonna book this trip and make myself happy. I'm just going to spend the money and you know.
Speaker 9: Do this.
Speaker 1: I love that. Yeah, I love that. So is that part of because you were talking about how this this all kind of even though it was shitty, gave you a different perspective that you're like applying to how you're now living your life.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think so, Like, tell.
Speaker 1: Me more about that new perspective.
Speaker 9: I think it makes me realize I can do so much more.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because I've dealt with all these situations and I'm like, oh, oh my god, you can actually do this. You can deal with all these difficult people and difficult situations, and why don't you go out then try something different.
Speaker 9: Because I've been in my industry for like ten years and.
Speaker 3: I don't see myself. I'll just tell you a little bit more about my job. So I'm insolvency accountant, So we do bankruptcy people dealing with bankrupt people or company going to liquidations.
Speaker 9: Like it's all.
Speaker 3: I quite like the things I do because every case is different. But I also don't see myself in doing this for very long. I don't see myself becoming a liquid data so I'm like, maybe I should do something else.
Speaker 9: But anyway, it's just a lot of things happened this year.
Speaker 3: So yeah, it comes to the point that this year has it's coming to an end, and yeah, I think I'm up for a new start for next year.
Speaker 1: So you said that it's kind of helped you learn that there are many things that you thought you couldn't do the actually can do. Tell me about some of those things.
Speaker 9: Oh, it's probably gm. I just you know, family stuff.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, yeah, yeah, So I know you said that there was some drama, and it's okay if this is something you don't want to talk about. But do you feel like this might have brought your family like closer together in any sense, because I feel like that tends to happen when something like this happens is you know, it's sad, but everyone kind of, you know, gathers.
Speaker 3: And I think that's a really good point, Like we're already very close, but definitely these events brought us closer and we learn more about each other.
Speaker 9: Like yeah, and can I ask you guys some questions?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 9: Yes, So, so how long have you been doing this?
Speaker 1: I've been doing this for like two and a half years.
Speaker 3: Oh, okay, out making context for two.
Speaker 1: And a half years already, Yeah something like that. Yeah, yeah, wow, this is.
Speaker 5: My first time doing it in Japan.
Speaker 1: I met Kiko on the phone actually, because I do a show where I talk to people on the phone, and she's come here to help me translate. But we haven't yet found many like actually, you know people who only speak Japanese.
Speaker 2: No need for me to translate.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, all right, So how long are you planning to be out here today?
Speaker 1: As long as it takes, as long as it takes I suppose.
Speaker 9: As long as the sun is out.
Speaker 1: So okay, you said that you've learned. You said that you learned more about your family. If it's not too much information, can I hear some of the things that you've learned? Like, did you learn anything new about your your mother or or your your siblings.
Speaker 3: I guess it's more about letting them learning me learning things about me.
Speaker 1: Interesting, what do you think I learned about you?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 9: Oh, this is too deep? I mean tm I yeah, but you.
Speaker 1: Don't have it's just.
Speaker 9: Oh, yeah, this is TMI.
Speaker 3: But my dad actually had another like he had a he had a he had a partner, like outside of the marriage. So we never two two families were we don't acknowledge each other at all. But then because this happened, so they came into contact with us.
Speaker 1: Interesting, So did you not know them before?
Speaker 3: We knew, like we knew about ten years ago, but we never really My.
Speaker 9: Dad still wasn't sure.
Speaker 3: If I knew about so I was like pretending that I don't know, like trying to preserve the relationship, so we don't we never talk about it. But yeah, it's very The situation was really dedicate because there was a child involved.
Speaker 9: So my half brother is like just like ten or twelve years old.
Speaker 3: So yeah, it was a very delicate situation, like when you have to break the news to the other side and all those things. And at first we didn't really want to come into contact with them. So I basically contacted his school, told them about a situation and said, the dad has passed away because because our father.
Speaker 1: You contacted your half brother's school to let them know. Yeah, oh my god. And did you had you even ever met your half brother after that? Yes, So when you when you called the school, he didn't even know who you were.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I knew his name.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So what happened was my dad was like they he lives with Obviously he looks after my half brother.
Speaker 9: So they lived together, separating like separate.
Speaker 3: Homes, and my dad was quite sick and basically one day he.
Speaker 9: Just left home. They knew that they were going to the hospital, but he never returned, and.
Speaker 3: It just it was like over the course of maybe three weeks, they were still in contact that my father was still in contact with the other side, but then eventually he got so weak and couldn't respond to any messages.
Speaker 9: So they left hanging there. I didn't know what was going on.
Speaker 3: They tried to contact the hospital, but the hospital wouldn't talk to them because the mother isn't his lawful wife, so there's no like she can't get these information from the hospital. And one day they received this message from their school social worker that someone has told us that your dad has passed away, so they reach out to us and yeah, the whole drama begay.
Speaker 1: Have you maintained a relationship with the partner's.
Speaker 9: Family, the boy, Yes, we still talk.
Speaker 3: I actually stayed in Hong Kong for like two months, so I really made myself available for them.
Speaker 1: So it's very it's very sweet of you to make yourself available for them, even though you had never known that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's that's the thing that my family learned about me. She's like, they're like, why can you be so nice to them? I don't know, because there's just a child.
Speaker 9: Involved, and I just feel bad. I think, I don't know. I just I just did it?
Speaker 7: Do you?
Speaker 1: I mean, do you feel like a connection to your father through them in a sense because they were close to him?
Speaker 9: Not really interesting?
Speaker 1: Not really.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't see him. I don't see my dad in him at all. He doesn't look anything like my dad. Oh yeah, yeah, he doesn't look anything like my dad. We even did a DNA test to confirm a sneaky one sneaky. So this is the kind of dramas that I was talking about.
Speaker 9: And how it can be a little bit t M. I.
Speaker 5: Well, so I'm interested by a couple of things.
Speaker 1: So your family, So, as you said, you've made yourself available to this child who's clearly going through a really hard time. And you didn't have to do that. You don't know the gin, but you did it anyway. And it's interesting that your family is saying to you, like, why would you do that? And you're also kind of a little bit being like why would I do that? But but you're doing it, like something about like compelling you to want to be there for him and have that relationship.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think I just felt bad for him because he was He's so young. It's just such a young age to lose his father. It's just I just feel bad for him.
Speaker 1: Do you think that? Is this all a recent thing?
Speaker 5: Sorry?
Speaker 1: Is this all a very kind of recent thing?
Speaker 6: And this year? This year?
Speaker 5: Yeah, have you maintained a relationship with anyone else?
Speaker 1: And in kind of that side of his.
Speaker 5: Not so much.
Speaker 3: Okay, Initially we were talking and she seemed okay, we were like on good terms, I would say, but things turned downhill pretty soon and now we're like not really talking. But if I need to inform her of things. I'll still message her. Yeah, tell me.
Speaker 1: Uh So this this trip to Tokyo, is it like a Is it like a decompression for you?
Speaker 9: Definitely?
Speaker 1: I mean it sounds like you've been through a whole hell of a lot.
Speaker 9: Yeah, definitely. I I don't.
Speaker 3: I don't have like solid plans about where I have to go, So I just go by feeling like I don't.
Speaker 9: I don't wake up.
Speaker 3: Super early in the morning and oh I have to go to this place and slip this place.
Speaker 9: No, I don't do that, So I'm just take it easy, go with the floor, sit down and talk to you people.
Speaker 1: Are you? Are you? Did you just come here by yourself?
Speaker 2: So?
Speaker 3: Yes, I'm on my own now. But tomorrow I'll be meeting my brother.
Speaker 1: Oh great, great, great great. How has it been traveling by yourself?
Speaker 8: Oh?
Speaker 9: I love it. I love it.
Speaker 3: I don't need to look after anybody else is feeling all that decided to go somewhere that I don't want to go right right.
Speaker 1: It's it's a symbolic thing because it's it seems like you've been looking after so many other people and like, you know, kind of in the in the weeds, of all this stuff with all these other people, and then you just have this time completely. Yeah, yes, very well deserved, grace. Thanks for sharing all of this stuff with us.
Speaker 9: Thank you for having.
Speaker 1: Of course good Is there anything else you want to say to the people of the computer before we go?
Speaker 9: Not really, thank you for listening, because.
Speaker 1: Have a fantastic rest of your.
Speaker 5: Time and talk.
Speaker 9: Thank you. Do you have like like do you do instagram?
Speaker 1: Instagram?
Speaker 5: Yeah? Well that was that was pretty interesting.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Oh she was so nice. She had such a great energy.
Speaker 1: It's so it's so interesting because it's like every time I do this, it's like you can sit for forty minutes and nobody comes to talk to you, and and even if someone does, maybe they seem a little shy, and then all of a sudden someone comes in, you know, kind.
Speaker 5: Of with everything.
Speaker 9: I'm glad you did.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, how are you feeling, Kiko good?
Speaker 5: I are you okay? Tired of you?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 9: No, I'm good, I'm good. I wish that person would come talk to us.
Speaker 1: Oh me too. Maybe he will goes on the line making your phone calls every night. Ever goes.
Speaker 5: You're teaching your cloud your life.
Speaker 3: It's not really an expert,