Speaker 1: Drive Time with Travis Wingfield begins.
Speaker 2: Now, let me check your pulse.
Speaker 1: If you're not for heard of, you better double check that pulse. What is up? Dolphins? And welcome to the Draft Time Podcast, part of the Miami Dolphins podcast network covering your team, your Miami Dolphins. How's it going everybody? I am your host, Travis Wingfield, And on today's show, it has been entirely too long since we heard the theme music, and by that I mean two weeks. Go ahead and cute up play the song. Waks twin win win win win. Yeah, whin win win win. That's right, the Dolphins are back in the winner circle thanks to a thirty to nothing shutout over the Jets. That's a sweep. That's seven of eight. That's eleven of the last thirteen. That's three in a row. It's nine in a row in that building across the street at hard Rock Stadium. In fact, the last home loss to the Jets was in London in twenty fifteen. We'll go over the game script. We'll break down the key moments. We'll do five big picture takeaways. We'll do the play. Before the play, we'll hear from quarterback to a Tongua Ba Lowe. We'll hear from head coach Mike McDaniel from the Baptist Health Studios inside the Baptist Health Training Complex. This is the Drive Time podcast. That's another Miami Dolphins. We always start these shows looking at the stats, and the stats were good for the Miami Dolphins in this one. Thirty to nothing is the final score, and it was comprehensive in every sense of the words. Sixteen first downs to eleven. That doesn't sound comprehensive, but I'll tell you why here in just one second. Miami was six for fifteen on third down, but at one point when Tua was still in the game, they were six for eleven and one for one on fourth, so very efficient in that regard. In fact, with Tua under center against the Jets this season, Miami was seventeen for twenty seven on third downs. That's that's gonna win a lot of football games if you can do that. The Jets were five for thirteen, but a lot of those third down conversions were very late in the game. Miami two for two on fourth, the Jets zero for two, two hundred and ninety total yards to one of the three, so not a crazy discrepancy at the end of the day, but it was five and a half to one again when the first team exited the game. At the end of the third quarter. There two hundred and thirteen passing yards to eighty passing yards, seventy seven rushing yards to twenty three. The Jets ran the ball twelve times for twenty three yards in the game. Miami had two more plays fifty seven to fifty five. Kind of nice to get out of a game where you don't have a lot of you know, you've had games where you had eighty snaps in the past, under sixty for both sides of the football, So in and out pretty quickly. There four turnovers for the Jets, none for your Miami Dolphins, six sacks with the Dolphins, three for the Jets against our offense, and the Dolphins had nine penalties for sixty five yards the Jets seven for fifty five. Miami held the ball for over thirty six minutes in this game, So great stuff there all around for the Dolphins. We'll sprinkle in some stats as we go along here because Miami's numbers very, very good in this one. Before we get to the game script, I want to go ahead and play some audio here from Tua Tongueabailoa, who talked a little bit about how the week was coming off that difficult loss, short week, bad taste in your mouth, and we felt it right. Fans were in a panic. I was not my normal self all week long. But that team, the guys that matter, the ones that put the jersey on, they never wavered.
Speaker 2: Throughout the week one.
Speaker 3: No one changed what they did within their normal routines. No one did more than what they'd normally do. Everyone knew that what we had put out Monday night was embarrassing and it felt weird as we came into the building, and one thing we wanted to do was not feel that feeling again. So in a way, guys were happy that it was a short week that we got to play again and you know, sort of exercise you know a lot of the things that we didn't do right and take the right step forward in winning and really winning the way we did today.
Speaker 1: And the game began with the Dolphins on offense, which has been a rarity, not just this year the last two years, as they actually lost a coin toss and began on offense, and the game began the way you would think it would or would hope it would. No Tyreek Hill, by the way, which if you haven't covered the game at all, Dolphins have down several key parts in this game. No Tyreek Hill. You know about the injuries on the offensive line, Robert Hunt, Isaiah Win both out of the game, win on ir No Connor Williams. So your entire interior three are out. Your top receiver is out. On defense, Xavi and Howard having a great year, he was out. Javon Holland, your top safety, just Deshaun Elliott, your other starting safety, Both those guys are out. No Jerome Baker, no Jalen Phillips. You're down several critical parts of like your top twenty players, like half of them are out right. But Miami came out and threw some haymakers, threw some punches and put themselves in position to win this game early on, despite the fact that the opening drive didn't go that way. Because Watad gets a couple of catches for twenty one yards, He's making guys miss. He looks good, he looks quick, and the ball's coming out fast. They get a couple of runs off the perimeter. But then you get a holding call that wipes out a twenty yard gain two waddle down the middle of the field, and he exits with an injury and goes into the blue medical tent, luckily popped back out a couple of plays later as back in the game after the Dolphins got the football back because they punt the ball, and then the Jets take the ball back over and the dominance was apparent very early on. So the Jets get the ball backed up in their own zone and first down successful running play, and then Bradley Chubb, who had a well of a game, beats a block and gets a tackle for loss to create a third and six. And then Christian Wilkins comes flying down the pike for a big sack fumble on Zach Wilson, which, by the way, Chubb was the one that knocked the ball out there too, so he gets a couple of four fumbles in this one, but Christian Wilkins first on the scene. They split the sack. Zach Seeler comes up one yard shy of his third career touchdown two in as many weeks on the recovery and just dominant, dominant, dominant from the Dolphins front. In fact, most of Zach Wilson's early passes in this game were him retreating and then throwing the ball at the legs of his running back or tight end who's basically already in pass protection because they couldn't block the edges or the interior the entire game. I mean, this Dolphins front in this pass rush has been ferocious. We'll come back to that here in just one second. They get a big takeaway early on to put the Dolphins right back in scoring range. And I know you guys out there love this. The first two results I didn't love, which is so funny because McDaniel always touches on this right. I like to play call if it works, and you're an idiot if it doesn't work. But Dolphins take over first and goal stuffed, second and goal stuffed, and that one lost yardage. So now it's third and goal from the three yard line. And here's what I love about it, because this spot is the tendency breaker. And we'll come back to this in the in the takeaways, because it's a big takeaway for me that the Dolphins created this touchdown situation because the Jets were expecting pass and you could feel that they were in man coverage. All the dbs and the guys that had responsibility in terms of eligibles in the passing game, they had eyes on the eligibles. And so when Miami motions a receiver from the week's side of the formation back across the formation, it opens up the outside lane and all it took was a tearan armstead seal off the edge and it's a walk in a cruise in touchdown, which, by the way, is a record for Raheem moster. It can grad to Raheem. He scored two touchdowns in this game, so twenty total eighteen rushing. Those are both Miami Dolphins records. Put a pin in that we're going to come back on the takeaways and talk about that so quickly seven to nothing in a spot you kind of felt like, let's get it early start. Let's dampen this quarterback who hasn't had back to back good games in his career, just came off the best game of his career. Let's take that confidence and zap it right away. And what better way than three guys putting a big hit on him and shripsacking him and turn the ball over and scoring seven points right off the bat. That is how you start, That's how you respond to a tough week. You love, love, love, love to see it. They just get the football back and it's more of the same. David Long down the middle for a big pressure right in the face of Zach Wilson. Bradley Chubb gets a big stop that creates a third and six and then they convert. They convert after that their first first down of the game. But it wasn't much more after that because you get great coverage from Van Ginkle, which, by the way, our play before the play goes to Andrew van Ginkle on second and four where he has Tyler Conklin, who if you listen to the preview podcast, we talked about how the Jets want to throw these covered seam balls and covered perimeter balls with tight ends on the linebackers. They feel that's a mismatch for them with either Tyler Conklin or Jeremy Ruckert. They try it, but you're not going to do it on Andrew Van Ginkle because he runs step for step with Conklin, puts his punch between the hands and separates them, creates an incompletion. The very next play, Eli Apple, who's getting significantly more playing time, and he's been inactive for a few games this year. By getting more playing time because you don't have Xavier and Howard, he steps up and has great coverage on a man coverage responsibility on a crossing route. Do you guys know how difficult of an assignment that is to run all the way across the field and stay in stride with an NFL receiver and the speed day feature and the accuracy of NFL quarterbacks, It's a tough ask. He gets his hand in there, punches it out, and all of a sudden, the Jets have a fourth and four and they fake the punt. Good thing that Christian Wilkins has all the discipline in the world. He's all over it, beats his block gets in there and meets Duke Riley and shuts it down. So immediately Miami back in scoring range, and they put together one of the strangest drives you'll ever see because of some penalties and some kind of methodical approach. It's a nine play, twenty seven yard drive that goes through the uprights to make the game ten nothing and more. Excellent scheming and game planning because they put themselves in a third and short after a Claypool screen gain six and then a flip to eight chan for two. So third and three and they get or third and two rather they get eight chan motion out of the backfield into the flat, and you wind up with the linebacker chasing him. And it's easy pitch and catch, exploit that man coverage, decipher pre snap, exploit it after the snap to a very decisive just was playing on time and in rhythm and moving guys with a manipulation. Cannot wait to come back and watch this tape. He comes back and Durham smythe for another first down on this drive, and then Miami kind of bogged down with a couple of penalties. So the first drive and now the third drive both had penalties kind of pushed them back off their track and off of their you know, their schedule. They were staying on early in the game. And they have to kick a field goal here, but it goes through the uprights ten nothing, and the way the defense is playing, I mean, that was all they were gonna need in this one, because the Jets on the very next series they go three and out once again, where David Long and Christian Wilkins I thought in addition to Bradley Chubb, were not just two of the best players on the field today, two of the best performances with Chubb, So I should say three three of the best performances I've seen from Dolphins defenders all year long. David Long was so fast and so quick and so deconstructing blocks in a almost perfect kind of way. He was dominant Christian Wilkins, whether it was front side flow, backside, break back from the running back, he was all over the place. Pass rush, he shuts this first play down, you get Bradley Chubb who oversets Makai Beckton then wins right inside for an easy sack on Zach Wilson. They draw it on third and twenty four, ball right back to Miami, but the Dolphins go three and out and kick the football back to the Jets. And this is actually kind of funny because there was a sack on third and three which the Jets went cover zero and Miami was empty. So once the first or second read's not there for that, the pressure's going to arrive because they had zero pressure. Is zero coverage and simulated pressure up at the lion of scrimmage. And I told seth this in the press box. I said, that's actually a good sack because Tua didn't force that. We stayed, you know, on the plus side of the field and the way this game is going to go, manage the game the way you expect your defense to play as well. And then we get down to the postgame radio for it, and OJ's talking about these good sacks that Tua took. And then we get to the press, the postgame press conference, and McDaniel says, that's one of the best sacks that Tuoa could take right there because of the fact that he's not forcing the ball into pressure and you know, throwing the ball into this tight coverage. And I want to go ahead and play the audio because we were all in lockstep and thinking that Tua, because of the university he's faced this season and the decisions he's made and kind of that rollodex of plays in the back of his mind, one of the smartest quarterbacks we've ever been around, right, A guy that can tell you what the route combination, the pressure in the front, and the protection on his Alabama Devonte Smith game winning touchdown passing the National Championship. He can recall all that for you now, what is it eight years after the fact. So this is a quarterback that can process that stuff very quickly. So he's able to take his lessons earlier in the year and apply him to critical situations in a key December football game against a division opponent. Let's go ahead and play some audio here from McDaniel, who touched on Tua's performance. He was asked about not just the outside noise that Tua had heard this week, because if you're on social media, you hear it. But we know that TWOA is not on social media. But McDaniel was asked about the outside noise and the questioning of his performances, and he eventually gets to this thought about to his growth as a player. Let's go ahead and show this audio here with coach talking about the sacks being ultimately probably a good thing.
Speaker 2: It's not like we talk about that, but noise is loud.
Speaker 4: You embrace adversity for the opportunity that it is.
Speaker 2: But it did far from surprise me. I could tell all week.
Speaker 4: You know there are certain things that him, in particular him and Jalen Waddell were doing together that I knew they were going to be able to do. Some explosive stuff, and he really did a great job playing within the play. There's a couple of times that there was a shot down the field. I think on the two sacks, if he would have had a a tick longer, he probably would have thrown the ball, but it would have been he would have been pressing to do it. And you know, so I was really tired of about his sacks, to be honest. And you know, I think I think you're what we're watching as a team is a bunch of young players really coming into their own and he's one of the primary ones to is because he's he's not he's learning from everything. It doesn't mean everything goes well. Again, I think that's fake and that that that would make me nervous if at this point in the season we hadn't gone through adversity, just because I know what is coming.
Speaker 2: So oh, I think that it was a.
Speaker 4: Great example of him worried about the right stuff, which is his responsibility each and every play, and he was. He definitely commanded the game entirely.
Speaker 1: So it's not it's not points, but it's not a turnover. Right, So the Jets get the football back again deep in their own zone, and once again the Dolphins just continue to collapse the pocket with Bradley Chubb inside outside, going on stunts, rushing one on one. It just didn't matter. They could not block the guy. And then Zach Steeler finishes the drive off with a sack of his own where he just walked the left guard all the way into the quarterback and then once it was time to make the play, toss him aside and go get the quarterback. Like this front did whatever they wanted to do all game long, and it was a blast to watch. And then Miami pays it off just one play later because Quinn Williams was doing the Wattle sack dance or the Wattle touchdown dance on his sack. Should have done that, my friend, because one play later Miami dials up a shot. It's two on a sixty yard dime, and this thing was let go as Waddle makes this double move break, which, by the way, let's just's pull this back a little bit, because I've talked about this to people that I talked to in my group chat, I've talked about it on the postgame pregame radio, I've talked about it hearing the podcast. Anybody that wants to hear about it. I can show you tape and this goes back to Wattle's rookie ga when I thought that he had some yards left on the field, just because of the circumstances, and it's not anybody's fault. Sometimes the pressure look forces the ball out hot, and because Waddle runs one of his best routes of the game, on that look, you don't get a chance to see him catch a sixty yard touchdown pass because the ball had to come out to durham Smyth hot on a check from Tua. Not this time, Not this time. The deallop a shot play to Waddle, who makes an excellent double move and Tua uncorks this thing before he makes that double move and the ball just lands right and stride. Speaking of the DeVante Smith touchdown pass in the National Championship game, I mean, you couldn't handled this thing to Wattle any better right down the field, big strike, sixty yards and a touchdown. Let's go ahead and hear from McDaniel on that play.
Speaker 4: There's not many people that could cover the route that Jalen Wattle ran because it's not many people that are capable of.
Speaker 2: Going vertical.
Speaker 4: He did a left right move and then still found an exit angle, which is a very hard thing to do. So we really like the player, the matchup, and you know, just kind of the way those two were connecting all week was that was pretty easy to call.
Speaker 1: And then at seventeen to nothing right there, right before the halftime break, and the Jets get the football back and once again it's pretty quickly back to the sideline because they did convert on illegal contact play. But then you get an Elijah Campbell pass breakup, showing range from his deep half responsibility at safety. All the guys played great. Brand Jones got two picks in the game, by the way, taking his career hot career total to three picks this season. Great to see him bounce to come out and get a chance to start the game and really play well. And then third and twelve you got David Long chasing Zach Wilson backwards towards his own goal. Polls like every play was like run backwards and try to make something happen. And because he left the pocket, he raises an illegal contact call they had made. Picked up the flag, put it back in your pocket, punt the ball back after Emmanuel Ogbass sack on the previous play, So the Dolphins get the football right back and now you have a chance to go basically not win the game, but put it really out of reach right. Four scorers at halftime for an offense that's struggling is a lot to overcome, and you get three conversions with Tua on third down third and three, a slant, a dart to Waddle for an additional first down, and fifteen yards because of a late hit on Wattle. You get a third and six dot to Burios on the perimeter, who makes a great lunging catch up over his head. Also had a great day return of the football today on kicks Braxon Burios did. Then third and seven on the plus three two, Tua hits what I think was maybe his best throw of the day besides the deep shot where he's got pressure right in his face, kind of has to adjust the feet and you see him. You'll see some quarterbacks bring the plant leg up when they throw like a arm like dropped the arm angle to three quarters or sign on angle in terms of their release point, and Tua shifts the feet with pressure in his face to help him protect himself from the big hit after the throw and the throw is right between two Jets defenders on waddle on the money, big run after the catch, huge play. You get a thirteen yard round from Moster and then you get a first in goal and Durham Smyth seals the edge for ahem Moster for his second touchdown of the game, and real quick. I gave a game ball to Durham Smyth in the postgame radio show because four catches for thirty two is cool, but that dude destroyed the Jets edge in the running game all game long. He's had a great season. He's had a great career here with the Miami Dolphins, especially these last two years under Mike McDaniel. I thought today was one of his best games. I cannot wait to watch his tape because I think he was fantastic. So first half twenty four to nothing, not too bad, right, Dolphins taken it to the Jets. Let's go ahead and take a break right here, come back and finish up the second half. Do the five big picture takeaways. We have a bunch more audio from McDaniel, Tua, and Raheem Moster all that. Next Draft Time Podcast, your host Travis Wingfield brought to you by Auto Nation second half kicking off here on the Sunday night Monday morning recap edition of the Drive Time podcast, and man, it just kind of flew by. The game was less than three hours. Trevor Simeon checks into the game and he gets sacked on his first third and ten, So nothing happening there that was on the other side of the break. I should say, they get the football to start the second half, and you get a couple of catches to move the chains for Garrett Wilson his first catches of the game. But then Jalen Ramsey, who will talk about more in a second, makes just a crazy athletic play on third and seventeen where Garrett Wilson ran a really good out route and Ramsey and I was explaining this to OJ after the game. We watched the we watched the highlight of this play, and Ramsey like he's moving towards the play, like towards the football while he's like in the middle of that pivot like opening the gate type of steps, So he's functioning two different operations at once. Does that make sense? If you've ever played any type of instrument or music, try to play a guitar and sing it at the same time. Like those two tunes. If they're not the same, it feels like a much advanced version of rubbing your belly and patting your head. Remember that old game as a kid. Ramsey's ability to move is like that. It's rare, it's freaky. I don't understand. I can't explain it, obviously, I'm struggling here on the podcast. So the Dolphins get that pass breakup, get right off the field. They go kick a field goal to make it twenty seven nothing. We get a pick, a Brandon Jones pick right short of the end zone helps preserve the shutout at this point, kick another field goal to make it thirty to nothing, and then we get a fumble. A Bradley Chubb explosive play off the edge to have his sixth force fumble of the years leads the National Football League to get the football right back to Miami once again. In plus territory. Chubb had himself a day three sacks on the game for Bradley Chubb. I want to go ahead and play some audio here from Mike McDaniel on one of his star pass rushers who went off with seven total tackles, three sacks in the game, and two forced fumbles. Here's McDaniel on Bradley Chubb.
Speaker 4: You know, so often you are trying to take yourself to another level, and you're inspired to take your game to another level, and you kind of have to realize that it's the work that you do day and day out and nothing has to change on game day. You have to be yourself. Yourself is absolutely good enough. You don't have to try and go above and beyond. You just have to be diligent and play with your teammates.
Speaker 2: So he's.
Speaker 4: You know, he's one of my favorite players on the team simply because of how important it is for him to do right by his teammates. And as you can see him, being him is plenty good enough.
Speaker 2: He was really really hard to block today.
Speaker 1: Dolphins get it back, punt it back, but then we get another Brandon Jones interception. Dolphins punt it back just to take the ball again, and it is the end of the game, right there. Truth be told for you guys. I didn't see the last couple of drive. Was making my way down to the fort to to the postgame radio show, A much better walk than last week when I'm walking through the concourse thinking, all right, we're ten and three, just beat the Titans, and I go back down there and watch the game play out into loss. So not very much fun there, But today, a totally different story. The team was so much fun to watch that game. The postgame radio show out in front of the Dan Marino statue there at the South Plaza, in front of the team store, just people with their brooms sweeping them up, Jets fans in dismay. What a blast that was. Man, there is nothing better than being there after a Dolphins victory. And I want to go ahead and jump right in to the five takeaways because the game script pretty much over, you know, early fourth quarter, right, so run through that. Let's go ahead and talk about five big picture takeaways number one. And I talked about it all week. I tweeted about it before the game. Get out of your feelings, step up, and for lack of a better term, be a man or be a woman, doesn't matter. Just be tough, right number one. This team is made of the right stuff, and they prove that with how they performed this game. Because there was never a question, never in doubt, how this game would turn out. And Miami just kept on coming and kept on bringing the good stuff. Short week, devastating loss. You heard all week about same old Dolphins, December collapse. The nineteen eighty four Dolphins will clearly have an impact on the twenty twenty three Dolphins. I despise that thinking. By the way, I don't care what happened even last year. It's not the same stuff at all. Down nine starters to injury, and you come out and you put twenty four in the first half on the Jets, You beat him thirty to nothing. You cumulatively beat him sixty four to thirteen, your biggest rival. Come on, how can you not love that? That's the best result possible. And the first half disparity was one hundred and ninety seven yards to four. They had four yards in the first half. They were negative yards at one point. Miami allowed just one rushing first down in the entire game, like utterly, utterly dominant. So pregame, I said, you know, there's a lot of guys who aren't playing in this one, right, But there's a lot of guys who are playing in this game, like Tua Tongua bai Loa, who completed his first eleven passes of the game and posted a one to nineteen point four passer rating, which, by the way, remember when we did this on the Jets game the first time around about all these elite quarterbacks that and Robert saw A said this himself that we have quote unquote embarrassed. Do you know what Tua was today? Not just eleven for eleven, He was twenty one for twenty four with two hundred and twenty four yards, a touchdown and no picks, no turnovers, one hundred and nineteen point four passer rating. Like Mahomes, Herbert, Hertz, Allen, all these top line quarterbacks have all posted passer ratings under seventy against that Jets team to a one to twenty one to twenty against a Jets defense that shout out C. J. Stroud and the Houston Texans last week. So Tua did that. Guys that also played in the game like a Jelian Wadle who had one hundred and eighteen yards in the first half and one hundred and forty two total. In fact, he's now thirty six yard shy of becoming the first Miami Dolphin ever to have three consecutive one thousand yard seasons to begin his career. What a stud. Jalen Waddle is. Also had guys like Bradley Chubb, like Christian Wilkins, like Zach Seeler who can bind for four first half sacks in Miami had six total in the game. Dominant, dominant, dominant in every phase. You're still the two seed in the AFC. Now, hopefully we get a little bit healthier. I think the game came out okay. Austin Jackson had to exit the game and he looked like he was walking around. Possibly could have gone back in. Maybe if the game was closer, you had to Ron Armshead exit as well. But I think those guys came out of the game clean. Hopefully we see X back, Javon back, Rob huntback, Tyreek hillback to drop those four guys into a team like this, Come on, this team's made of the right stuff. They came ready to play, and they're gonna carry that the rest of the way and give you the best version of themselves heading into this run of kind of playoff games before the playoffs. Before we move on to the second takeaway, I want to hear from coach McDaniel on this team resolve what he saw all week long, and I couldn't have loved this more because what I say on the podcast all week long, I said it all year long, like watching some of the other teams around the league that are hovering around five hundred and it's a struggle to put together anything offensively. You just watched those games and watch the Dolphins games and you can see, oh yeah, that's what the two thousand and nine Dolphins looked like. That in the twenty twenty three Dolphins. That's different type of competitiveness and you'll can different type of quality of team. You're looking at here, right, So use your eyeballs and see what the game tells you. And one of McDaniel had him believing that this team could bounce back and show the resolve they did to his eyeballs.
Speaker 4: I'm just having my eyes open for the entirety of the season. It's one thing that I mentioned to the team last night. What what's given me confidence is how they've responded to adversity throughout the season. We've had four losses, and it was just a point of emphasis from the year previous where our losses came in streaks. We've had four losses. The previous three were one game, losing streaks. So there's a there's a lot of character in in the locker room. There's a lot of character just in the organization. They've been really going after it, the players, coaches and support staff every day, treating it like it's the most important day. So football is not a game of avoiding adversity, or it's not a game of uh, you go through a season and you don't have things happen to you.
Speaker 2: It's actually quite the opposite.
Speaker 4: You need to have things happen to you to grow and be able to handle, you know, some of the moments that come in December. So there there's there's a litany of individuals in that locker room and beyond that gave me absolute confidence that they would come and compete today.
Speaker 1: So you know how earlier in the podcast, we talked about McDaniel praising Tua for not forcing the ball and taking sacks and situations where the sack is the best option. Let's go ahead and throw the audio here to Tua because he touched on the same thing. And I just love how lockstep and together these guys are with their thinking. That's the recipe for success. Man, you're head coaching your quarterback being this lock in lockstep.
Speaker 3: The protection did did really well, I would say on Monday, with the things that had happened, you know, with guys going down and then others having to step up, it was a good rep for me that throughout this entire the entirety of the season, you know, things like that hadn't happened, and we needed just a little bit more time. So as we went throughout practice this week, we we knew what what we were up with. And really it's it's just that it's trusting the guy next to you is trusting that you know, hey, one guy might have lost on this play, but don't think that they're gonna lose on the you know, the next next time we call that play, just just trust that they'll they'll make that block. And that's really the mentality that not just not just me that I came in with, but everyone came in with.
Speaker 1: Takeaway number two is brief because I touched on it already, but to it without Tyreek narratives, right, they're fun. They change every single week in the landscape that is media and coverage and fans, and ultimately we shouldn't complain about that. And someone in my position, because that stuff fuels the most popular sports league in the country. It fuels all the benefits we get from this league because of how profitable and how you know, fruitful football is and the engagement we get is what makes it that way. So shouldn't complain about it. But those narratives exist, and they change weekly because that's what drives talk shows. Six games between game, six days between games. I should say I get it, but they're silly because you generate a narrative off of one game, you wind up looking foolish because a process should include multiple data points and when just one game is never enough for that. But TUA can't compete without Tyreek, Right, the Dolphins offense is broken without Tyreek Hill. Consecutive completions to begin the game, never put the ball in harm's way, not even once. Three incomplete passes in the game, an absolute dot sixty yard touchdown pass to Waddell, who again showed you he can't get open deep converts three third downs in a two minute drive and sort of a kill opportunity. Right, if you go up twenty four to nothing and a half like that's tough to come back from. An offense of struggling, hit those critical third downs, super sharp with the football. Let's go ahead and hear from two A real quick on playing this game without Tyreek Hill. And I love what he said here to Tyreek pregame. This is conference man. Confidence is brewing within this team.
Speaker 3: He was talking to Kyle, he was talking to Chris Greer. I went up to him and I told him, like, dude, if you can't go, we got you, brother. Like it's a team sport, like it's gonna take all it's gonna take all of us. And he said, I appreciate it, but you know, don't don't count me out yet. And you know, he made the decision, and you know it's tough because he's a competitor and he wants to be out there with the guys. But you know, I mean, with with not having him and to be able to put thirty thirty points and have a shutout by our defense, you know, I should.
Speaker 2: Tell you a lot about the.
Speaker 3: Team, really, the guys on all three aspects in three phases of the game.
Speaker 1: The Kyle that he mentioned there is Kyle Johnson, Dolphins head athletic trainer. All right, let's go ahead and take our last break. Right there. Come back on the other side and talk a little bit more about this game. Takeaways three through five. That's next Draft Time podcast, your host Travis Wingfield, brought to you by Auto Nation. Takeaways one and two in the books, Let's go ahead and do three through five. Number three is a game plan bounce back.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: I've praised the job of the Titans last week and Mike Vrabel and Shane Bowen and that entire staff, because I thought their defensive game plan was excellent and I thought Miami had a tough time adjusting to what they did to take away some of their top options by spamming the middle of the football field. And today Miami came back and just kind of used all that and took it to their advantage. Now, I think you have on tape stuff that shows you your opportunities and your abilities to stretch every blade of grass because the perimeter run game was cranking in this one. They found room off the edges and it wasn't like, you know, the big explosive plays. Thought some of the best players got called back on penalties actually, but they stressed the edge of the Jets running game to create opportunities by you know, stretching out the second level the defense, which creates more zone and the curl flat and the hook throws the quick passing game like you're down several guys on the offensive line right your left guard, center, and right guard are not your typical starters at those positions, and you're gonna have to do that for the rest of the year, at at least two of those spots. But the quick game to get the ball out of the quarterback's hand to kind of negate the reps those guys have against those elite pass rushers and minimize them. I should say the shot played on the quick change to wild down the field the pressure packages from Vic Fangio. I cannot wait to go look at the film and the numbers on the tape behind this one, because Fangio was in his back all game long. And how about Jalen Ramsey Man, my goodness, so he said after the game that he found out he was gonna shadow Garrett Wilson because exaving Howard's not playing typically those guys play one side of the field, and even kicked in to go cover Garrett Wilson inside when he was playing from the slot. First half, no targets for Garrett Wilson. He caught three for twenty four in the game. Jalen Ramsey is that dude. Man, He is that dude. Let's go ahead and hear from Tua on the game plan of the coaching staff.
Speaker 3: With Mike, he he was just trying to get a feel off of how the defense wanted to play with ten being out, if they were going to pressure more, if they weren't, what the back.
Speaker 2: End was going to look like. And so I think in.
Speaker 3: That regards, he was just trying to trying to get the get the ball out as quickly as possible, because it also does help our.
Speaker 2: Guys up front.
Speaker 3: You know, it throws off the timing of the d lineman with where the spot is for the quarterback, and so yeah, I think that that was something that Mike had done really well in the game plan for today.
Speaker 1: Takeaway number four is that ferocious front man. They got after it all game long, all kinds of records and jaw dropping stats produced by this Dolphins defense. Let's go ahead and pull up mister Brett KUIs and timeline because he had all the good stats for US twenty three rushing yards allowed are the lowest since twenty ten for Miami and the seventh fewest allowed in a game for the Miami Dolphins defense of all time. Not too bad, right. The Dolphins also allowed one hundred and three total yards in the shoutout victory. That is the second lowest output allowed by a Dolphins defense in their entire history. It's also tied for the fourth fewest yards by a Jets game in their history. The Dolphins allowed just four rushing yards in the or fourth holl yards I should say, in the entire first half. It was the fewest yards allowed in an NFL game since twenty fifteen Broncos and Raiders. They held and they get a twelve yards in that game. Just utterly, utterly dominant man all game long. They brought this dominant stuff on defense and offense. Five sacks in the first half was the second time since two thousand Miami had five sacks in the first half of a game. The other one was the Dan Campbell game up in Tennessee in twenty fifteen. Just dominant by this Dolphins pass rush, I mean Bradley Chubb three sacks, Zack Seeler picks up a full sack. We had a half sack for Christian Wilkins and Andrew Van Ginkle and Luke Riley and Emmanuel Ogba. I mean, my goodness, man, just dominant and like I said, you're down Jalen Phillips, You're down Jevon Holland, you're down to Shaun Elliott. The communication in the back end was just fine, no issues, no explosives in the entire game. I think there's one twenty one yard catch and run on a short throat to Xavier Gibson in the fourth quarter of the game. You're down at Xavier and Howard, You're down Jerome Baker like key parts and you dominate like this. That's impressive stuff. And takeaway number five. We saved the best for last because a certain someone is a new record holder in the Miami Dolphins organization. Before we get to Raheem Mostert on his records hitting day for the Miami Dolphins twenty total touchdowns, eighteen rushing touchdowns. Let's go ahead and hear a lengthy McDaniel answer on his running back who you know means a lot to him.
Speaker 4: Well, it's the same thing that got him in the position to be on this team. You know, it's there's a lot of people on the team that have been told they couldn't and there's certain types of people that really thrive in those types of scenarios. Raheem was told he shouldn't have a NFL career from his first draft day.
Speaker 2: You know, you go undrafted.
Speaker 4: That's that's that's something that people don't really pay attention to, but that's a heartbreak. Then you had your cut from a multitude of teams that he's one of the you know, strongest willed in people that I've ever been around. And oh, by the way, he's a unique athlete, one that you know, I think second to Tyreek in sixteen he he he uh has he's the only other player to ever go twenty three miles an hour and he did it when he was like twenty eight or nine. So that's a different type of athlete with a different type of mindset. And just very happy for him. And the first thing he said to me after the game was, yeah, I know I got a game ball.
Speaker 2: Sorry, there's a nap.
Speaker 4: I got a game You know, you got a game ball for you know, setting a franchise record for touchdowns. And he immediately came to me and said, you know, every single player on the offense should get one because he he understands that for him to exhibit some of his h unique traits each and every play, people really have to grind for that to happen. I think a lot of our guys totally understand that at this point in the season, which is why you see inspired football. That's really fun to watch.
Speaker 1: All right, Dan, go ahead, raheem, mister record holder.
Speaker 2: It feels amazing. You know.
Speaker 5: It's something that I didn't necessarily think I would ever do, especially with a guy like like Ricky Williams and the Russian touchdowns that and I didn't. I thought the world of them, you know, because me being from Florida, Uh, you watch certain players and and he was definitely a player that call at an early age. And so to be able to break his record and then mark Clayton's record as well, it speaks a lot.
Speaker 1: All Right, I have one last little treat for you guys. It's this bye Bye Bye bye with it, Bye Bye Street, one of my favorite calls in Dolphins history. To snap an eight game losing streak against the New York Jets. How cool? How fitting is it? The mister Florida boy himself for heem moster breaks breaks, Ricky Williams all time Dolphins rushing touchdown record against those Jets. That's the podcast. Thirty to Nothing Dolphins Improved the ten and four. It's our first ten and four start since two thousand. Let's go Finns. Let's go beat the Cowboys on Christmas. Eble do the film review tomorrow on the podcast. In the meantime, go vote for all the guys on Pro Bowl. Go check it out with the hashtag on Twitter as well. You can do all that stuff to get these guys all your votes possible and send a whole bunch of Miami Dolphins to Orlando for this year's Pro Bowl. Subscribe rate review the podcast, follow me on social at linklin NFL, and the team at Miami Dolphins. Check out my guys Seth and Juice in the Fish Tank podcast and Marino this week. You don't want to miss that. Also the YouTube channel for media Availabilities, Dolphins Today and so much more, and last but not least, Miami Dolphins dot com Until next time. Finn's Up, Carolina and Cameron. Daddy is coming home.