Speaker 1: Welcome to Chopping it Up.
Speaker 2: I'm your host Mike Halon, the senior restaurant and food service analyst at Bloomberg Intelligence. Today we're joined by Ray Johnson, Founder, president and CEO of Rec's Restaurant Consulting Company. Thanks for doing us Ray.
Speaker 3: Thank you. Mikeel I'm so glad to be here.
Speaker 2: Good stuff, man, I'm glad I've got to meet you at the Prosper conference. Shout out to David Job and the team over there last August. You were one of the highlights of my trip.
Speaker 3: Well, thank you, I tell you David and Luke I'm going to shout him out also, just two great, great people in this industry and have a feign desire for this great industry of ours. Yeah. I love meeting you and the team and some of the people we got to meet there and Millie Island was awesome. Looking forward to next year.
Speaker 1: Yeah for sure. All right, let's let's jump in here.
Speaker 2: Man. Why don't you you know, you have a great career background. You worked at some fantastic brands over the years, So if you could tell the audience a little bit about your you know, career past.
Speaker 3: All right, Michael so Reda Didger's version of my great career in this great industry. I love this industry, Michael. I started out way back in the day at a franchisee of the McDonald's so QSR. And quickly I went to a fast casual steakhouse similar to a Bonanza U ponder Rosa, a concept called Wrestler Steakhouse that was owned by Marriott host Uh And right away I thought I was pretty good. I was pretty young, and I wanted to be with the very very best. And I heard about the concept that was just doing tremendous volume called TGI Fridays, and they were the king of the casual theme restaurant. And I would go in and just study them, and I go, if I'm that good, I want to go work for that brand. And I finally got a chance to go work for them, work for them twelve years, learned so much. My mentor was the founder, Dan Scoggins. He really taught me some very tough lessons that was very very good. And I left there in nineteen ninety six as director of operations. As I call it, the area of the Midwest capital of the world, vacation capital of the world. I should say Oklahoma, Arkansas, Missouri, and Oklahoma. So then I stepped out of the restaurant business Michael for the first time and only time, to get into the patrollingum C story business. And I had a great friend of mine, David Dornell, who was a president of Bank of America it was Nation's bank at the time, and we bought together at them, being our senior lenner me being an entrepreneur, we bought twenty five C stores in a gasoline and marketing distribution company called Saint Louis for Trollingman Marketing, and I was the CEO president CEO. And it was the greatest lesson I've ever learned about leading people because all I knew Michael before get into this business that the sign on the street and the price on the sign is what you paid for gasoline, right, and so, but it taught me a lesson that people who work for you have great skills and it really takes great leadership to engage them. Step back, be a servant leader, take to time to learn, get to know your people, and you don't give up power by being a leader. And it just helped me a lot. I would literally go in and ask many many questions as opposed to given directions, and so I did that for five years as CEO president, and I missed the restaurant business and I started my own concept called Village Cafes out of Saint Louis, and I literally created the concept. I was the CFO, CEO, the operations guy, and the whole nine yards, and I like to describe it as a poor man's version of Prener Bread. We were in office buildings and about two thousand square feet. It was an awesome, awesome brand created. And that was in two thousand to two thousand and eight, and then Crackerbrol came calling and I kept saying no to them, and eventually they wore me down and I sold my restaurant and went to work for Crackerbrow And my goal was just to work there for a couple of years back and get back into the entrepreneur world. And the problem was that kept getting promoted having success, and I became divisional vice president and I left there in May of twenty twenty two, and it was after fourteen and a half years. It was an awesome, awesome ride, and I started my consulting company, Recei's leadership restaurant consulting, and it's been an awesome, awesome entrepreneur ride. There's a lot of people in our industry that needed my help. While I was working for bands like Cracker Broil and was an officer of the company, and I would tell them, I go, I can't do that. It's a conflict of ventance. So I saw the need out there and it's been awesome to get out and help people run restaurants right now.
Speaker 1: That's great.
Speaker 2: At TGI Fridays. Did you have any overlap with Alan Stillman?
Speaker 3: Absolutely, he was. I didn't know Alan, but I knew of Allen. He was Dan's partner, right founder partner, Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: I think he started the brand with a he said, a five hundred dollars loan from his mom.
Speaker 3: Yeah. You know. The story, Michael, is that they started the brand in New York and it wanted it was a brand that was started. The tells of the story goes as they wanted to have a place for pilots and flight attendants to be able to go as they're laying over in these different cities, to go and just have a great time. It was an awesome some of the stories Dan till was just awesome. Yeah, a great brand.
Speaker 2: Yeah it's cool, and yeah, I bet you a lot of gen z Ers didn't didn't realize it started as a singles bar, you know.
Speaker 3: That's that's right, that's right, and when you go into I don't think they have him now, but I remember one of our templars was a three tier phone booth that people would say, what's a phone boot? But you would go in and you would have one level that you go up. On the next level you can use another phone on the next level. It was an awesome, awesome stuff. So yeah, I enjoyed it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's great. Alan's a legend.
Speaker 2: I got to I was lucky enough to meet him a few years back and I met I met his son Michael as well, who's running the family business.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: They own the Smith and Wilenski's in New York and a whole bunch of and a great new brand, well not really new anymore, but quality branded restaurant in Manhattan. So next time you're in Manhattan, check out Quality. Absolutely my favorites.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well I'll give a plug. It's the one when I sit back and look over my career, it's the one brand that taught me the most and the most disciplined brand that I have ever worked for even to this day.
Speaker 1: Cool, very cool, all right.
Speaker 2: So for the audience, the reason why I approached Ray is because he shared this amazingly inspirational story at prosper So, yeah, are you willing to share that story with us here for the pod?
Speaker 3: Absolutely, Michael. So. I shared this story because it's really meant for the leaders and people in general who maybe struggle, maybe sometime wants to give up. Maybe sometimes things are not happening for them as quickly as they would like for them to happen. Maybe they feel they should have gotten promoted and got in a position that they didn't get, and they might give up or get discouraged with the industry. But the reader's digest version of the story was, I was this guy with a TGI Friday, unbalanced in my home life, in my work life, I just want to grow, I want to be successful. And so I'm this young African American leader working in an area where my staff was probably about ninety nine percent sent not African Americans, and so I had to lead this great group of people every single day, every single day. And so I would go into work. I would give it my all. And over the years I got to a level that I was ready to be promoted. And my boss was telling me you're the next guy up. You're the next guy up, and so that just fed me more. I got more inspired. I put in the extra work. I went beyond the call of duty. I had this thing that says, excellence is doing more than most people think is required. That was my logo, that was my statement. So I would give the extra effort. And so I wanted to be this district manager, and so I wanted to be the obvious choice. So when it came time, based on my evaluations, based on my results, time to be the guy that's going to get promoted. Yet I had this leader who pulled me aside and he said, hey, listen, we're going to make a decision. And the decision is we're not going to promote you. And I was devastated, and I think I stared at him, Michael, for about ten seconds before I said a word. And he said, before you do this, I want to tell you something off the record, and I go, okay, I'm listening. And he said to me, you are a great leader, but I'm going to protect you, and I'm not going to give you this position that you've earn. I'm going to wait for something more suitable. And he said, because the position you would have to have, the position that I would promote you to, you'd be leading about seventy eight to eighty five percent Caucasian employees and leaders. And I don't think I'm set you up for success. If I would put you in that position, you would be in an area where no one in the area would look like you, and it would be tough. And I didn't know how to respond to that, Michael. I had never had it to hit me in the face like that. But after being sitting there for a couple of minutes, I asked, two, could I be excuse and I'm going to leave now. I'm going to go home. I got in my car. I was devastated. I drove all the way home. Michael, I don't know why I drove all the way home, but I drove all the way home, got in my driveway, turned around, never got out of my car, went back to the restaurant. I'm having a conversation with myself and my boss was at the restaurant, and I said, I need to talk to you, and I said, I appreciate you telling me the truth. At least you was honest with me. I said, but I don't agree with it. I absolutely. I need to make sure you know I don't agree with it. That's number one. Number two. I need to let you know that you have lit something inside of me fire and desire that the next time the position comes open of anything that I'm qualified for, it's going to be such an obvious choice promotion for you that you cannot choose me. And the third thing I said to him at the time, and I remember saying this to him, and I said, I am a leader that lead people, and I don't even look in the mirror and see color. I look and I treat people for who they are in the behaviors that they exist. I said, I just do not think of it that way, and you need to know that by me. So I'm not saying that to you to go back and have you to change your mind. I just need to make make sure you understand how I felt. So go. He didn't say a word. I go back. I have to have this conversation with my wife that all the unbalanced hours that I've been working all these years, I mean, in these months, I have to go back and say, Hey, the reason I wasn't there for a kids and this and that, and I told you that I was going to be the next guy up. It didn't happen, and I need to tell you that that's the bad news. The good news is I'm more inspired and energized to be the obvious choice next. Six months later, Michael I was promoted to a district manager and a year after that, I was promoted to director of operations for a TGI Fridays. And it was just a lesson of perseverance. It was a lesson of don't let people tell you who they are who you are. It's a lesson of it. It's about treating people with dignating respect and everybody for the values of who they are. And it helped me for the rest of my restaurant career.
Speaker 1: It's a testament to who you are. Man, I'm sorry you had to go through it, but.
Speaker 2: Man, it's so moving and I love how that you use that to even motivate yourself more.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 3: Fantastic, Yes, and Mike as a plug, I use I don't use that story, but I use that event to speak to the college students, especially with eighth SPCU students. I have programs where I help walk them through a runway from a freshman in college through how you can get into our great industry. For example, you might be a shift leader a freshman year in college. The second year, you might be a shift leader again. The third year you're going to get some more training and some mentorship leadership, and by the time you're ready to grad, way, you have a runway or a path that you can understand if you want to be in this industry. You have some experience how you continue to continue to grow in this industry. So it's been awesome for me.
Speaker 1: That's fantastic, all right.
Speaker 2: We I can talk to you all day about, you know, the history of the restaurant business.
Speaker 1: I love it, but I'd.
Speaker 2: Like to talk a little bit about what's going on now and kind of catch the point on some of the hot topics. You know, Yes, I guess how how should some of these restaurant chains solve for the solve their problems for the long term, right like consumers have options right now, It's not easy out there, Michael.
Speaker 3: I think you're absolutely right. I think the muscle that the restaurant industry had pre tempt. Pandemic was a good muscle to use. It was the muscle we all knew no one had experienced, thank god, the pandemic before right and and during the pandemic, there was a lot of things that happened that people nobody knew how to manage against it, you know, off premise, third party delivery, restaurants, dining rooms being closed. And then post pandemic, thinking that we could go back to that type of management or that type of the guest experience, it wasn't there anymore. We didn't have the employees there, and it didn't come back. People had transitioned out of the restaurant industry that had gone over to e commerce, the Amazon's in the Walmarts of the world. And so now you're paying someone twenty five dollars an hour, doesn't mean that you're going to get twenty five dollars to productivity. Twenty five dollars is just to get the person. And so once that that happened, is that the muscle that's needed now in the industry is the muscle of her attention of employees and to create these great experience for our employees to create great experience for the guests because the guests learned something doing the pandemic. From my point of view that I'm forced to make meals that are in ways that I could get pretty close to the restaurant industry, and I was forced to do that. So now when I come out and I don't have the hospitality value and I don't have it's a higher price, it's less selection, it's a service is not there. So now I get to pick and choose where my one hundred dollars are spent and I get to evaluate that that's the value that it's just spent one hundred dollars. Was it worth your experience? Was it worth off premise where I had to pay thirty percent more to get a hamburger, where it wasn't really transportable, It wasn't the quality I expected. And I think our guests are so smart that they started after spending, they start evaluating was that value for what I spent on my family of for worth going back again? Or I used to go there three times a month, it's not worth it anymore. Now that is one and a half time, or it's one time for a month. And I think the restaurant muscles now, is that how do you leverage the cycle of what's creating a great guess experience that is different from post pandemic, that's different than pre pandemic. And I think that that's been a challenge for restaurants.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and last time we spoke, you mentioned too how you felt that the marketing and operations for a lot of the restaurant chains are going in opposite directions versus pulling in the same direction.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I think that everyone is trying to figure it out, and I think marketing is running in a lane and they have trends and they have things they want to do, and it probably will drive traffic. The collaboration in the alignment has got to be can we sustain traffic? Are we driving these our great guests into the door? And can we sustain them? Can we give them a great experience? Is operations all bought in under direction? Marketing wants to go. So I could have a great marketing campaign, but if I can't execute it in the restaurant it takes too many steps in the restaurant to execute it, then I'm going to get bad service and I'm going to get bad guess. Experience, and it's also going to turn the employees because employees are not going to work in a stressful environment. I got options now, right, And so my biggest thing that I talk about to leaders now is that the collaboration from the beginning, the the agreement, the alignment from the beginning, and what's the why why, what's the strategy? Is operations all in on the direction that we're going. And the last part I'll say is that I think operations spends a lot of time taking directions of this is the way we're going for marketing. By the time it gets to operations, it's pretty much baked into the directions and strategy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure, operations are I mean, they're so key, and I feel like there's distill, like undervalued, right. But when I see a new company, name a new CEO and they bring in an operator, I get excited about that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, I tell people it's the motor of the car, Michael. I could live with my windows not working and my radio or not playing, but I could still drive a car. And I think operations is such a vital, if not the most urgent part, because I could have the greatest plan in the world but if I can't execute it in the four walls of the restaurant, it's not going to work. So I tell a lot of clients that really, we have to make sure that if we're going to put something into the building that it is going to be executable, not only in terms of driving sales, but can I really make it into a great experience in the restaurant. And so it might be that I have thirty items on my menu, but maybe only ten of them are selling. I might te mix at about seventy five to eighty percent. I might be selling the other five at a three percent clip. So, but I have to prepare as an operator to be able to sell that for the one or two guests that might come in and got And that's where I think marketing and operators have to get together in a line to say, Okay, this is great to have, is it really providing value? Am I losing? Execute? Is an ease of execution? And that's the conversation I think needs to be had more now today. It's more urgent today than it was in the past.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we saw on an example of this not working. I guess it was a couple of years ago with the Burger King Chick King fried chicken sandwich.
Speaker 1: It was a great sandwich.
Speaker 2: It was probably better than all the other Burger qsr Chains made. But you know, trying to make a sandwich that was very labor intensive in a restaurant that frankly you know was understaffed or very lightly staffed became completely untenable. And I think it was taken off the menu maybe six months after it debuted.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, And it's even more important now because productivity levels have gone down wages have gone up. So I don't get the same type of grill cook or the same type of prep cook for twenty five dollars an hour. But my expectations are this, so I can't have seven steps to produce a menu of plate presentation that is too complicated and volume wized to be able to execute it in the kitchen. So this is where I think from the beginning, when the strategy is being put together as a brand, I think everybody should come together collaborative and and talk about it and put the plan the strategy together from the beginning. And I think that that's the one piece that's different Michael, that in post pre pandemic you could get away with it today, it's tough to get away with it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you know impact of increased delivering and catering is really pressured operations.
Speaker 1: Correct.
Speaker 3: Yes, I also the velocity of third party off premise is coming at you in a way that that was probably your week. It's muscle because you know it's the demand has gone up. But you know the muscle that you had in the facilities that you built wasn't built for that type of volume. So now you're trying to execute that, and you're trying to execute the dining room, and you're trying to execute it maybe with less skill employees or the training hasn't been there, and it gets into a whirlwind and all of that comes in and takes away of eroding the guest experience. Now, I got a decision to make. I was in your brand, I had dinner. You charge me more twenty to twenty five percent more, and my experience was less. And as I'm driving home, I get to evaluate that, you know what, I can't create the experience at one hundred percent, but I could do it at my home at about seventy five percent and save myself a lot of money. So I'm choosing not to go back in on that third visit. And I think that's a big missed in an industry. And I think that that's where we need to focus an alignment. Ease of execution. What's really going to drive traffic? Can I sustain it? Is it? Ease of execution for my employees is creating churn in the restaurants?
Speaker 2: And I think you you know, and I know you've said to me that you think a big, a big onlock for that is really the retention of people.
Speaker 3: I think it's Michael. It is the number one thing that operators are struggling with. So the way I would ask a question when I go into restaurants, if I would ask two questions, I would get two answers. One I would say, hey, tell me what you're doing to grow sales and how you're growing your business, whether it's right or wrong, Michael, I would get some answers right. The second question is, hey, tell me what you're doing that I can touch and feel for your employees and to retain your employees. And I would get the stare. I would get the repeated of the question, repeat of the question, but it's it's it, or I would get the stock answers. But when you go and talk to employees and say do you feel you're a part of this restaurant, and they go, no, I work for this restaurant. And so I would make statements like why don't you put up a sign to say what can we do for our restaurant? The key words being we and are it's not my restaurant, it's our restaurant, and what can we do together to improve it? And I think that that's a retention miss that's in the brands now that we don't spend a lot of time and I think we spent a lot of time of getting employees, Michael, I don't think we spend a lot of time of keeping and growing employees making it the obvious place to work. If I'm going to work in a cure CURSR, feel I'm going to work in a fast casual. I want to be the obvious place to work. I want to create an environment that people say, I want to work in this business and I want to work for you. And I think those behaviors and those tactics and actions from leaders and operations are missed right now.
Speaker 2: I agree, you know, how much of a role can you know menu reduction play in this too.
Speaker 3: I think that without eroding your brand and who you are, if you are a brand, you have to carry the type of items you need to carry. I don't think you need to try to be everything to everybody. I don't think our guests are asking us to be that. I believe that ease of execution and menus and finding out what is selling and what you need to have to have your brand be sustainable and desirable is what you need to do. Now, there's some things you're going to carry that you're not going to sell one hundred percent of, but you need to have some of those. But I don't think that you need to carry everything you maybe cared before, because it's going to create a lot of extra work that right now, it's not ease of execution.
Speaker 1: All right, good stuff.
Speaker 2: Obviously, costs have been a huge topic of discussion for the last couple of years, so you know how our chief operating officers driving costs out of the system.
Speaker 3: In twenty twenty four, I think cost is going to be something that on an ongoing basis that operators and leadership have got to look at and the balance between that, if my costs are going up. I can't take it all in venue price. I just can't. At some point you're going to get to a price that you're not your brand anymore. So if you're a fast catal, you can't have an eighteen dollars plate that now is going to throw you into another category. So I think a lot of what needs what has happened falls back on the brand and marketing and operational leadership. And so what are the brands that creates the value that I could serve fast that it's not going to be a high priced menu item that I that doesn't affect my brand. And I think that that's the challenge. And then how do you store it? How do you keep it? How do you make it productive? How do you eliminate waste? And I think that all falls into the operational bucket and it falls into a mastery of operations. I believe if you believe, the kitchen is the motor of the car and the front is about hospitality. So therefore, everything I do in the kitchen, I'm going to make sure that motor is purring. And I think that every day that's got to be the focus from marketing and operation to us lead the branch service.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the long term view, right I mean, just shrinking your portion sizes and raising the prices is not the long term answer right now.
Speaker 3: I think that at some point I've gone to restaurants recently, Michael, where I walked away and I said, I just spent ninety bucks in this restaurant. And one it was okay, Two, I'm not really that full. Three the portion fives were than where they needed to be. Plate pleasentation wasn't good. Nobody cared about my service. It was the average service. It took a long time, And I think all of that plays into the bucket and you can tell when restaurants are doing that, Michael, to your point, you can tell when restaurants are spending more time weighing things out than they care about it took thirty minutes to get my food out, or it wasn't hot. And I just think that that is the the you know, where restaurants are not aligned at what's what's important to I.
Speaker 2: Guess, and we see it in the traffic numbers for the last couple of years now it's glaring.
Speaker 3: Yes, And I think that the challenge is and what I'm seeing today is the number one move. Brands are using to compensate for a cost either than the labor and in the supply bucket is pricing and you just it can't be your only tool. So in other words, how do you ask brands right now, how do you increase productivity? What's the training and development development now that's different from before? That could make my easier that I can become more productive. And I think sometimes brand have cut training to get costs back. I think sometimes training is not as many days, or it's not as relentless as it choose to be. I think a lot of brands have looked at portions and say, hey, we could get away by couldn't it ounce and a half and keep the price at the same or raise the price. And I think it's a bad, bad cycle to be involved in for our guests.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and as a consumer, I definitely agree. I have a big appetite ray, so you.
Speaker 2: Know, I definitely have left a few restaurants hungary recently. All right, So, so once once you know a clienteers, gets their operations nailed, gets the engine of the of the car really running in tip top shape, how should they approach growth?
Speaker 3: Well, I think that can I populate it. You know, do I really feel good about the enterprise? Do I really have it nail down? And so when I go out to populate it, is it simple? Is it align? And you know? Is there clarity about what we're trying to do? And I think it's got to be more than about the numbers or the number of units. Really it's about how can I make it easier for my franchise. Does the system work? Can can the process and system help me with some tweaking of I might need to check in Ray about this, but I don't need ready to come in and do it. And once it gets out there, is it broken? If everybody is failing at it, there's something wrong with it. And I think that we have to do inside out leadership before we go there. We have to slow down to go fast. We have to make sure that the foundation, as I call it, the enterprise, is really really solid, because Michael is not going to get better by being from going from one unit to thirteen units. In other words, the thirteen unit is not going to be better than the mothership. So I have to really, on a scale of one to ten, I have to have the mothership at eleven. So when I go out and I'm doing more units. I really have had systems and processes that populate its ease of execution. It's simple, there's clarity, and there's alignment.
Speaker 2: Cool And is there an in that calculus about opening that second third up to the thirteenth store? You know how much did they think about maybe talent dilution in the present stores?
Speaker 3: I think a couple of things. I think that that's got to be the premise of what you thinking about. So when I say populating, so I'm already populating in my first store for my second and third store, and I'm building inside that first store for my second and third, and I'm constantly populating the second and third for my fourth and fifth. Because the one thing I learned in opening stores in California, Michael, people don't leave Indianapolis to go to California open restaurants. And one of the learning one of the lessons I learned is that when you're opening brand new stores in California with brand new people who have never heard of the brand before, you're learned that population process quickly because you don't have the tenure talent to go in and open a store that that people might have twenty years of experience. It's all new. So the lessons is to get learnings from the first unit for the second and third, not only in people, but in processes and systems. And I think that this is where brands struggle a little bit. I think it's more sometimes about the number of units as a as opposed to process and systems and people. And that's got to be uh, you know, thought about when you do that.
Speaker 1: For sure.
Speaker 2: All right, so, uh, you know, since I do cover Cracker Barrel and you've had extensive experience at that, you know, great brand, you know, if you're willing to share your thoughts, I'd appreciate it right Like it's been a it was a couple of tough years. They brought in new senior management. You know where what do you think about where Cracker Barrel is right now?
Speaker 3: Wow? Let me say I love this brand. It's an iconic brand. It exceeded my expectations when I was working through the years at Cracker Barrow. The one thing I tell people about Crocker Brow. If you think about Cracker Brel and who they are, who's their true competitor in this space? There's not another concept. There's three day part that you can get breakfast all day long, that it's you know, comfort food and all of that. So with that being said, it's been a tough couple of years for them, and from the outside looking in and knowing the brand, I think it's going to be tough for them to get back to where they were. I believe that, and I'm choosing my words carefully. I believe that there's been a lot of people that have left the brand that created the brand and created what was special about the brand, and that's a lot to lose. And that's a lot to lose. And I also think that it's going to have to have the muscles to evolve from where it was three, four or five years ago to where it is today. And so it breaks my heart to see the struggle. I know the stock prices had struggled over the last couple of years, and you're speaking to someone who owns a lot of stock and still do so I hate it. I hate with what they're going through. I can't, honestly, Mike, I can't say I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. But I do wish them well. I have a lot of friends still there. I just know what they're going through and it's going to be a challenge for them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, hopefully they can succeed in bringing in a younger customer base. I know that's been something that they've been focused on and I guess that's also part of the reason why they, you know, got into the fast casual breakfast biscuit business with Maple Street Biscuit Company.
Speaker 3: Right. So yeah, yeah, I think that the frequency program that they just launch, I think it's very good, but that's not new, right, you know, everybody's doing frequency, so you're joined the party there. I also think that Maple Street is going to it's still new enough. A very good friend of mine is the founder of Maple Street that we talk a lot, and I think that that's going to be a challenge for them because he's no longer with the brand also, so I just think that it's overall as a brand, it's it's going to be tough. It's going to really take some tough muscles to move the brand in the direction that they want to go. And as far as the tenured based customer, we knew this several years ago that we were going to have to evolve in a a different customer, a younger based customer. And I think we I think they're trying to do that. It just hasn't attached. And the one might question did we start too late to try to did we Did we not be aggressive enough over the last several years to do that. So it's going to be a challenge.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and maybe they need to find, uh, maybe they can find, you know, the guy or girl that runs like the slim gym or the radio shack Twitter accounts, somebody that has absolutely helped some of these brands blow up on social media.
Speaker 1: Maybe maybe that's.
Speaker 2: Part of the answer in terms of attracting you know, gen Z through TikTok and Twitter and LinkedIn, I'm sorry, Instagram stuff like that.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's interesting Michael that I have a twenty three year old daughter that's aid you know, she's getting her masters, And I talked to her a lot, and she used to work at Cracker Broll and so even while she was working there, if I really want to know the truth that was going on in the restaurant, I would ask her and she didn't know. She was telling me things that I did not want to hear. So I had to pretend like, I really want to hear did you really get the truth? And what you just said is exactly right. It is so it's not her obvious choice place to go when she's thinking about going out to dinner. It's not her place obvious choice place to go when she's thinks about going in for breakfast. And when I asked her why some of the things that we talked about, those are actually they're validated that those are the reasons why. It's just not know my radar, dad. It's not a place that I feel welcomes me. It's not a place that I feel that I I want to be it. It doesn't it doesn't draw me in, and and I think that that's going to be a challenge for them to figure out. I I love the brand still, I still have stock in the brand. Wish them nothing but the best, but it's been disappointing and and and and and heartbreaking to see the struggles that they've gone through over the last couple of years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think, I think, uh yeah, I'm hopeful that the new management team can can turn things around because it is a great brand. I know a lot of people have very strong feelings towards the brandy, you know, so so yeah, you know, hopefully things things turn around there. You know, as a financial guy, I always like the fact that that they never closed the store and that uh and that their maintenance CAPPACX was so much lower than their everybody else because you know, it was part of the vibe, part of the being an old country store.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: So there's there's definitely some really you know, interesting attractive aspects to the story. So so yeah, I'll be I'll be waiting, I'll be watching closely, for sure, I'll be.
Speaker 1: I'll be there. I'm here watching pretty closely, paying close attention.
Speaker 3: So absolutely absolutely I wish to nothing but the best going for same.
Speaker 2: All right, thanks again, Ray, that was awesome man, Thank you. What's what's the best way for members of the audience to get in touch with you?
Speaker 3: Well, absolutely you are. I am available. I will give you my business number. I'm at six one eight three oh four three two two. I love this business. If I could help any brands, my email account is reces R E C E E s l LC at gmail. Please reach out to me and you could also reach out to me on LinkedIn. I appreciate you, Michael.
Speaker 2: I appreciate you too, and I also appreciate the audience for listening in. If you liked the episode, please leave us a review. Check back in a couple of weeks for a discussion with Charlie Morrison, CEO of Salad and Go