Speaker 1: You're listening to the Miami Dolphins Podcast Network.
Speaker 2: This is Drive Time with Travis Wingfield.
Speaker 3: Practice throw to a looking whips about.
Speaker 4: A wide Dolphin touchdown time, Rick cal uncolievable.
Speaker 5: It's just Bluevin for a second time.
Speaker 1: Don knew where he was going right away.
Speaker 3: I want to hit that man.
Speaker 2: I'm going to help you. Someone will keep on your man.
Speaker 3: Away Wattle, Wattle to a shotgun, back to throw looking at them.
Speaker 5: Up myers touchdown, It's waddle, It's six touchdown pat Ka.
Speaker 4: Drive Time with Travis Wingfield begins.
Speaker 2: Now let me check your pulse if you're not.
Speaker 3: What is up? Dolphins?
Speaker 5: And welcome to the Draft Time podcast, part of the Miami Dolphins Podcast Network, covering your team, your Miami Dolphins. How's it going to everybody? I am your host, Travis Wingfield, And on today's show, practice at the Stadium is a rap first time back there since we downed the Jets to make the playoffs, and the last time will be there before Friday's game against the Falcons. We are recapping the day's work, including commentary from head coach Mike McDaniel, Christian Wilkins, Rob Jones, Noah Igbinoghany and so much more from the Baptist Health Studios inside the Baptist Health Training Complex. This is the drive Miamis. Kenny Walker gets us into the podcast today, and I don't remember getting this much back and forth in a training camp about how practices should be viewed and evaluated. But I'm really enjoying it because we are getting a PhD level explanation opposed to the alternative chirping in the stands, and that's why I wanted to start this podcast with it. So I'm sure that anyone listening to this probably didn't miss the updates at practice on Twitter from myself and the million other people covering this stuff. So the defense really got after it today, and the offense had some spurts, but the defense consistently bounced back and put its best foot forward, a bunch of bunch of pressure on the quarterbacks, had some good plays against the running game, a few picks in the back end as well. Here is Coach McDaniel and how they view the battle of offense and defense and the idea that one side wins a practice versus the other.
Speaker 4: See here's the thing in the journey of like, especially when you're trying to be a good team.
Speaker 2: You know they're.
Speaker 4: Offense has its days, defense has a days. What you want is a team that takes advantage of any inch that the other side gives you. So we've had that those ebbs and flows on both sides of the ball. Today it seemed without watching the tape, that was clearly advantage defense. But that's not really how we look at like, Okay, they won, No, it's what and why and how we can progress.
Speaker 2: I felt, you know, that was one of the cool things.
Speaker 4: Is pretty locked in with two during the day, and I could feel that he could feel that guys were.
Speaker 2: A little a little.
Speaker 4: Too geeked up and thinking and and sometimes you can get over competitive and then you jump off sides. Then then you start pressing and stop stop thinking about your technique and start thinking. You end up focusing on trying to make a play, and then the inverse happens. So that was I know, he could feel it. Uh, there there were some guys that weren't their normal selves. That happens in practice every day, and you know, I think the the journey is is just beginning for the for the team, and.
Speaker 2: That's the way both sides of the ball, have to look at it.
Speaker 4: They'll there'll be plays too that the defense will learn from. But overall it's a very productive day when people put themselves out there and are able to learn from it. And sometimes those are hard lessons.
Speaker 5: And after practice we did see two of giving a spirited speech to the offense after a day that you know, I'm not trying to sit here and tell you guys that the offense can be crappy.
Speaker 3: On a day and it's like totally okay.
Speaker 5: You want to acknowledge the fact that you want to be better as long as you bounce back from it. Who cares? It's all, it's all good. This this stuff does not going to the standings. It does not go into the stat book in the box score, like coach mentioned there, So who cares until you should care? And it wasn't a good day, and so it's incumbent upon a leader like your quarterback, like to a tongue of I looa to make sure the offense knows that it's not okay. And Rob Jones was asked about that after practice. A two parter here from Rob Jones, one on the speech at then of practice and then how he has seen too a gross leader because Rob Jones has been here for three years now, three of the four years for two a tongue of I looa who would know better than him?
Speaker 6: Oh, you know, it's like you know him's been a leader like he is every day. He just told us, you know, we just got keyworking on the lit things. You know, keep being competitive, no matter you know when the first we hit, just keep grinding and keep going. That was basically all.
Speaker 3: And on the growth from QB one.
Speaker 6: Oh, you know, like you know, last year is a great leader and this year is just you know, you can just see the confidence keep growing, keep growing. He's just you know, he's just taking control of the whole office, as the whole team and just making sure you know, gods respect him as we've been respecting him, and you know we're just following as he can go.
Speaker 5: So there were two interceptions of Tua during the eleven on eleven portion of practice, his first two so far in team periods all camp long, and both excellent plays from the cornerbacks and not great throws either. First, Noah Eggbinoghany and coach will tell you about this here in just a moment, and I can tell you as well, since I saw a play out and UH Coach's explanation allows us to get into the nitty griddy of it. I thought the exact same thing that he talked about, just textbook text back, textbook zone coverage from Noah Eggbinogany. He's working against Tyreek. He contacts him in the five yard press window, peels back with his butt to the sideline, which is always the tele for zone coverage. Zone verse man man's to be facing the man zone is gonna have button the sideline eyes, and the quarterback gets the eyes back to the quarterback. Tyreek and Tua might have been on different pages on this throw because the ball goes up the sideline and Tyreek shuts it down, maybe expecting the ball to come short. But Igbinogany because he's playing the quarterback, which you know, to me, that's a better feel for him opposed to just trying to get to a spot and locate the ball late because that has not been his game. But he sees it and gets more depth and follows the football up the sideline and he lays out, not lays out, but lunges all the way out outstretched plucks it for the pick, great catch, great play, Just textbook zone coverage from him from snap to finish, except maybe the return, which no one's gonna tell us about here in this minute. But first, here's no what Igbinoghany on the interceptions.
Speaker 7: It was good man. I was just running down the sideline and saw the ball and the air went up and got it. And I need to work on my return skills, so I think I went the opposite way, and so I'll work in the next time. Yeah, I did went to the opposite way, though again I got to work on the I think there was on the on my sideline when I got the pick. I think there was some room, but I was just happy with that. So I was just running whatever whoever space was open.
Speaker 5: So why do we go ahead and hear from coach McDaniel, who broke the play down better than I can. Here's McDaniel on Egnogany's I n T in practice.
Speaker 2: Again.
Speaker 4: That's why, Okay, don't underestimate the journey that is going from system to system in a defense, and specifically, you know, you guys all know we played a ton of man coverage and now we played a ton of really everything. So that process and being able to identify eligibles, and you know, this defense does require a good understanding of what everyone's doing to be great, and he's he's continued to progress and make more plays he had. He had you know, one of my favorite cloud reps that he's had all camp and really since he been here, he got his hands up on a turnover.
Speaker 2: You know, these these are things that you like to see and then you like to watch what players do with it.
Speaker 4: How do that how does that confidence materialize moving forward? Is he is he thirsty enough to say I want more? Or do you get comfortable? You know, these are That's why I like the preseason. I like the players journey and I like to watch them develop, trying trying to do or really fulfill their dreams.
Speaker 5: The other I n t that I thought was a pretty similar rep from Eli Apple that what Noah egmon Aghni did, he really made a habit out of this back in Cincinnati, and I think it's a big reason why lou and Aroumo refused to replace Eli with their high draft picks in the secondary last year, because of his veteran acumen and playing to the rules of his position, particularly in zone coverages, which you know, in this defense, you're gonna get a little bit of everything, like we heard coach talk about, but some man zone, some hybrid coverages. I like the idea of if Ex is playing man one sided and Eli Apple can be playing zone on the other side. But on this play, Tua has just taken the offense down the field, bang bang, bang, like eight completions in a row to get down into the red zone, and he gets durham Smyth on this route to the front pylon. That reminded me of the interception that Tua threw going after drham Smyth at the exact same pilon at hard Rock Stadium against the Atlanta Falcons back in twenty twenty one, where Smith kind of rounded the route off at the back end and didn't really run.
Speaker 3: You know, it wasn't really like a comeback. It wasn't really a curl, It wasn't really an out.
Speaker 5: It was kind of a banana drifting route that didn't really put him in a threatening position. And I think because of that it allowed Eli to get under the route. But also what allowed Eli to get under the route was really good recognition to come off that you know, curl flat area in the short part of the field and sync back into the kind of honey hole portion of a zone coverage concept where you have the safety up top, the corner below, and that kind of ten to eighteen yard range. You have a window you have to hit there, and Tua shot at for that. But Apple got depth and found the football and picked it off right at the end of practice to put an end to it. And so really good play from those two guys that might be counted on this year, you know, to play some decent snaps given the Jaalen Ramsey injury. Apple also had a really good rep. And it's funny hearing the commentary, you know, around the press box. I heard it was a bad ball, but no, it was a great rep where he pins chosen to the sideline. If your receiver is running your route on the hash marks along the sideline, quarterback has no chance. There's no where to throw the football too, so he put him up against the sideline and the ball goes over the top of that because you're trained to throw the ball over. So the dbacon or the receiver can kind of stack the dB on the inside and use the outside part of the field to make the play. But really good job there on that rep. He's getting better every day at practice so far and taking to the system here. And the offense had their big plays too, including what everyone came out to see, a fifty eight yard touchdown pass from two to Tyreek. And I wanted to touch on Tyreek and Jalen's route running because you know, they both had a handful of catches. Like they do every single day. It's just rinse and repeat with the explosive plays, the chunky yards, the space they create in the offense. And by the way, I had my best notes today because the stadium feed was on the TV above us in the press box on like a ten second delay. And let me tell you guys this right now, if I had that every day at practice, you would get the best notebook possible. I do bring you what I think is a pretty good notebook in terms of my breakdowns of practice. But having that quick replay, I can watch the run say, oh, I know it's going off the right side. Let me go ahead and peek at Austin Jackson here, Rob Hunt like whatever it might be. And that was just really really cool for you know, football junkie like me to have just so much easier to evaluate. But it gave me this opportunity on Tyreek's deep shot because I wouldn't have seen this otherwise. But you see him attack the off coverage and really threaten as though he's going to basically cross the post safety's face, which you've seen him do plenty of times in this offense. Him and Waddle run all kinds of those crossing routes. But he presses the toes of Kedrin Smith, who's lineup in the post in this particular play, and you see him kind of do a head nod and a step that widens his gait that would institute you know his next step is going to be a crossover to go across the field. And the minute he does this, Kedron Smith reacts and starts to flip his hips to run to that pylon to the other side of the field, And the minute Tyreek sees that reaction, he changes directions, puts the foot in the ground and breaks it off back the other way and runs to the other corner. And like Tua couldn't miss this throw because he was wide the f open. And by the way, quit talking about underthrows man, Like the guy's a freaking track star. So he's not going to throw the ball seventy five yards in the air. It's never going to happen. Quick complaining about sixty yard touchdowns, please, stupid flawless route to a put it in the bucket touchdown. Fun play to watch. I do want to give Kedron Smith a lot of props because he stay with the play and actually poked it out at the goal line, which, by the way, Tyreek finished the play into the end zone.
Speaker 3: Please.
Speaker 5: I know in a regular season game, I'm sure the peace sign goes up and all that, but great hustle from Kedron Smith. That's something you want to see there. He also ran down a deep ball attempt that I think this time Tyreek did go across the face of the post safety and Kedrin Smith was getting death on the other side, and I think he reacted quick enough to get himself in position to help Miles Dorn on a pass breakup down the field, because I think that if he didn't get the depth on that play, we're talking about two bombs from two to Tyreek. So Kedrin Smith, I'm not going to fault you for getting beat by Tyreek Hill one time in practice.
Speaker 3: It's going to happen.
Speaker 5: The rest of stuff, I do take notice of that. Then Waddle, who you guys know how I feel about his game, his approach, his professionalism, talking to him in the cafeteria, one of my favorite human beings on planet Earth. There was a catch he made on about a twenty twenty five yard throw from Tua that was just aces because X does a good job to sink into his part of the coverage to get under Waddle on this play, and Wattle's coming across the field and Tua throws it. And this is why I love Tua and the receivers here. The trust he has and these guys to go win even when they haven't won. The route yet is is premiums. It's supreme chef's kiss. I don't know what the hell for me to say, but he angles this route back down towards the quarterback to cut off X in a way we've seen X du to receivers year after year.
Speaker 3: Down here.
Speaker 5: He cuts them off, gets in front of it and makes a tough catch.
Speaker 3: Going to the ground. These guys are so freaking good.
Speaker 5: The speed is what everyone sees with those two, but it's the attention to detailing their craft is the number one thing that makes them great players. Before we go back to Tua here, there was a brief lightning delay, and fittingly enough, right during Zach Thomas's speech to me, that was the football God's way of saying, hey, go watch Zach. Practice is going to come back on here in a few minutes. Here's coach on the opportunity to get reps with a game delay. As we know, that happens very often down here in the South Florida webs.
Speaker 4: Apparently you guys would know more than I would, but that happens from time to time here.
Speaker 2: Okay, last year was an exception to the I believe so.
Speaker 4: And we even have a coaching staff that's it's happened to a suit where you have to you have to go inside and then restart. So the biggest fear that I had, you know, I didn't want the the defense was starting to feel some momentum, and I didn't want them to all of a sudden have a lull.
Speaker 2: You know, That's what I was looking for.
Speaker 4: And then I wanted the offense to to kind of get their stuff together and and and try to sustain some stuff. It happened a little bit and then self inflicted wounds. So these are all things that the lightning is no exception. You're you're just happy to get stuff.
Speaker 2: Out of the way because you don't want.
Speaker 4: These lessons to be learned when the score is final and the.
Speaker 2: Box score is real.
Speaker 5: Not crazy about how the audio sounds, but I digress. Let's go ahead and take our first break right there and come back on the other side. Get back to the quarterbacks and the rest of the offense. We'll talk about defense as well. They certainly earned that right. All that ahead on the Draft Time Podcast, your host Travis Wingfield, brought to you by Auto Nation, picking it back up here segment number two on this special Saturday edition of the Draft Time Podcast, and back to the quarterbacks, because Tua really showed the accuracy during the field goal upright passing drill in between the lightning delay when they came back out in the field and all the quarterbacks were trying to hit the upright from the corner of the end zone, so just the skinny pole from about I would say it was that twenty five yards out and he went three for three, and the other quarterbacks White and Thompson hit it once. Blackman failed to hit a single time. But on the third throw, they tried to purposefully hit the intersection of the crossbar and upright the little circle on the end of that crossbar post and Tua dotted up and runs off and it's pretty excited about it. You guys probably saw it on social on Twitter. If you have not, go check it out. But the dude has keyhole accuracy.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 5: I thought Mike White had some good throws again to brack some barrios. He did have a touchdown to Chose it, but it was actually a pass breakup by who else but Noah Iguanoghany just got unlucky, ball got tipped into the air, Chosen pulls it down and runs for forty extra extra yards for a fifty yard touchdown. I thought, Skyler, you know, I get on him for the ball placement and the timing issue, which it's still there. But had one of his best timing throws I've seen of him in practice, game or otherwise on a shot down the middle to River Craycraft, who really ran some sharp routes to they go Koogs by the way River Solidarity in the Pac twelve Man, it's dying, but Koog's spirit never dies. I don't know, oh Man, there just wasn't a lot there for the offense. I thought Savon Ackman had some really nice runs in this practice. Raheem always does, but he had a really nice gallop where he kind of got to that second level and had this wicked lateral cut, which I don't think he could do last year coming off the knee and trying to trust that knee. But he looks just faster and quicker this season. Chris Brooks continues to get some touches and get some good yardage. Today, I thought that was the case again, No Devon Achang coach did tell us he's just day to day though, so that's good to hear. And then I mentioned Barrios, cray Craft and Chosen at the receiver position. I thought the three of them showed you a little bit of what makes them intriguing players. Burrios that short area of quickness, cray Craft being where he's always supposed to be, and then Chosen the long speed. Each of those guys offer something different. Just been a fun battle to watch so far. At tight end. I am really buying into Elijah Higgins. I think that he's got a lot of chance to be something here. I think he's gotten better every day in the running game. Even had a rep where he stood up a manual Ogba coming back across the formation and that split flow action that everyone runs in the zone running scheme. And this was a few plays after I tweeted about Ogba getting the best of rookie Julian Hill and how every damn time somebody lines up a tight end on Ogba, it goes very very poorly for them, but not when Elijah Higgins is in the game. Apparently he had a good rep against Ogba. Also caught a pass for I would say it was about thirty yards where he again jumps, catches twirles, comes down, lands and takes off with acceleration and it was basically one on one with you know, the corner that was going to be bringing him down was going to have to take a side angle his legs and I just think that Elijah would have ran through that tackle. So I think it was good for about thirty thirty five yards there. I like Tyler Croft's work in the run game today. I haven't talked about him much in the podcast, but there was a rap where he came across the formation on a kickout block and sprunk Savon for a good run. That's going to be his route to the roster. Phillips tough draw for any offensive lineman, for Austin Jackson off that side of the line, and he got him a couple of times. There was a sack immediately in practice on Austin Jackson. I thought, come on, Austin, let's go pick it up man, and he did. There was a rep where he really showed me something today. He got into his pass set with a really good fluid kickslide to get depth and put himself in good shape to kind of assess from there. And I'm assuming that JP kind of reacted to that because his reaction was to knife inside and grab that inside post when Aliston flashed it. But I love this rep from an offensive lineman, flash something for the pass rusher to say, I can exploit that as long as you can get back there and shut it down.
Speaker 3: And he did that.
Speaker 5: He transferred his weight back inside, which to me, has been an issue in his career so far, didn't get himself to and then dropped the anchor, which has also been an issue, especially with active feet to get to that spot and then drop the anchor on the quick inside move from Phillips. I don't think I've seen him do it better than on that one rep. So progress, I think I thought Cedric a boy. He had some good work in the running game. He sprung a big run at one point from where heem moster. I'm impressed by Rob Jones's work. And Isaiah Winn had some good reps today too, in particular one blitz pick up where the linebacker came and he saw it and put that thing down right away. Let's go ahead and get to the stars of the defense here, because they were the stars of the day. We talked about the two dbs, and before we go up to the front line with Christian Wilkins and Jalen Twyeman, let's hear from head coach Mike McDaniel on the value of coach fanju and I love this answer about how different they are and how Fangio brings so much to the table. Here's McDaniel on the Dolphins new DC.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's then huge, you know, you don't.
Speaker 4: You kind of find out in trial by fire certain things that could be advantageous.
Speaker 2: You know, you can project as much as you want, but you.
Speaker 4: Don't know how things are going to exactly play out until you're in it. And I think having the opportunity to get some some very you know, well seasoned we'll call them, and experienced, and you know guys that would really have a true passion for coaching, because it's the.
Speaker 2: One thing I did identify.
Speaker 4: I knew we had a large amount of young talent that had never been there before. So those those types of things were monumental for me and just knowing my own strengths and weaknesses, how to balance myself out so that.
Speaker 2: You know, the.
Speaker 4: Each Dolphins player can get what I think they truly deserve.
Speaker 5: Who's also asked this in regard to the depth beyond Christian Wilkins, Zach Seeler, and Rayquan Davis on the interior, and we also got some from sound from coach about that group, but also more about the journey of training camp and kind of how letting things play out and not being so decisive early on, which you heard Vic Fangio talk about in his latest media availability about how we're trying to find certain aspects and we know certain things in certain spots, but the journey of this month of practice is about finding the rest of those spots in the team. Here's coach on the idea of that interior reserve part of the roster, but also the journey of training camp.
Speaker 2: It's funny how some guys progress.
Speaker 4: That's why I have such a hard time and you guys get so frustrated with like, all right, where's this guy at? It's because I've seen too many things play out with different timings.
Speaker 2: So you have an opportunity and maybe.
Speaker 4: A certain thing clicks, and all of a sudden you find a niche in your game that Okay, I'm a three technique for instance, and wow, when I shoot the gap and get skinny, guys really struggle And it can just be one play and then what happens after that play. Is that a part of your game or is that a flash in the pan. All these things are super interesting and you can't figure them truly out until you have competitive situations that you try to create.
Speaker 2: Practice is the first step. A scrimmage is the next step.
Speaker 4: You get to go against other other players, and then you're in a preseason game.
Speaker 2: You know, these are human beings that.
Speaker 4: Are affected by minor things, and they're they're putting their best foot forward, and you really have to wait to judge the full complexity of the situation until they've had all the opportunities. Otherwise you're pretty vulnerable to being completely flat out wrong.
Speaker 2: And I try my best to not do that best the game.
Speaker 5: And the one guy who seems to show up as consistently as anybody else's Christian Wilkins. We heard from him after practice. We'll go to him here in just one second, but first let's hear what coach McDaniel has to say about Christian Wilkins.
Speaker 2: Christian is.
Speaker 4: You know, he since I've been here, he's been one way and I truly believe he you know, in that way, he embodies what I expect for our team, each individual to be on a day to day basis for you to have success. So how do you categorize that's that's an important part of the team that you know. I promise you this, if Christian Wilkins came out to practice and was like, we'd have problems.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 4: So as teammates, you end up depending on each other for certain things that you know you can that you can count on, and energy, strain, relentlessness, these are a whole things that if you're trying to be a good.
Speaker 2: Team, you want to embody.
Speaker 5: So as promise, we'll go ahead and hear from Christian Wilkins now, who talked about and I love the way Sophid Dean asked these questions about do you know who you're yelling at? Do you know why you're yelling at people when you make plays and come off the pile yelling like you do. And here's Christian talking about why he does that and kind of where it comes from.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's just I don't know. I'm I'm like, I don't know. I'm a sick, twisted individual. I just I don't know. I just again, that's just passion, that's just love, because there's nothing like making a big play because they're so hard to come by. And I don't know, I just let this game a lot. And when you think about just all the work you put in, that's what you know, that's a great reward.
Speaker 5: Wilkins also discussed his routine and the pressure he puts on himself to be the fire star of the defense and the team. I want to go ahead and play that, and also him discussing his routine because it's so monotonous and so regimented.
Speaker 3: It's big part of why he is who he is.
Speaker 1: I put a lot of pressure on myself and you know when it comes to this game, and I kind of like that, like it that way because I just feel like, you know, if if who is it gonna be if it's not me and uh and my teammates are counting on that, and that's what this organization is counting on. So I try to just bring the bring the energy every day, set the tone and kind of just be that spark and be that light for the guys in this in this building.
Speaker 3: And regarding his routine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've kind of always been like that, but it's a constant it's the constant work. It's constant grind just to kind of improve that routine and improve your process and looking for little things that always gives you an edge in that advantage. But it helps me to stay locked in and focused. I know what time I'm waking up, I know what time I'm meeting breakfast, I know what time I'm getting the facility. I know the time I'm doing everything at the facility. It's like clockwork, you know what I mean, And you know, just trying to stay within that not straight too far. It allows me to just be locked in and stay focused and have a good routine and just you know, ultimately hopefully at least the more success.
Speaker 5: Well, I know who I'm projecting for the Orange Jersey on Tuesday, Jalen Twyman, who was just as good as Christian Wilkins was, who has been great all camp, hustle, run game, pass rush, just such a stud. But his answer here about the inquisitive youngsters and the way that they can pester you with questions can help you, not just in your leadership role, but how the mentor of the relationship can take from that because it forces them to be on top of their game. I thought this is a really great answer from Christian Wilkins talking about Jalen Twyman, who was on One today.
Speaker 1: Baby t Man, it's been it's been good to see you know, the things he's been doing. He he's like, you're annoying, little baby brother. Just ask every single question about football NonStop, like every single thing. Like he just NonStop for the questions. And I love that because he challenges me. Now you got me thinking like he'll hit me with something sometime. I'm like dang how you know, And now I got to find an answer for him. But I just love, you know, the strides he's made, and just you like to see that in a young guy, you know, who's struggled a little bit early in his career. They're trying to find his way and navigate, you know, because you know I was, I was watching the similar situation, so you know where I was struggling early, trying to farm away, trying to navigate, and that's all he's trying to do. And you know, all the young guys on Aaron Bronson just really just try to motivate them and you know, keep them on the right path.
Speaker 5: So Twyman gets my nod for Orange Jersey on Tuesday, multiple sacks, plays against the run, had exceptional effort and energy, celebrates a lot. Had a very nice camp so far for Jalen Twyeman. Zach Steeler got his wins. What's New bat had some balls at Land of Scrimmage, had some pass rush, had those plays where he throws his man into the ball carrier, and I thought ray Kwan Davis slipped blocks effectively all day. And Randy Charlton had himself a sack as well. I just continue to love the work, and I talk about us all the time of Bradley Chubb and Jilen Phillips off the edge, their ability to hold the edge and keep that outside arm free but also shed back inside when the cutbacks. You know, but when the back cuts back. I should say, you just see it every single day. The outside run defense this year to me and camp looks a lot better than it was a year.
Speaker 3: Go let's go ahead and.
Speaker 5: Take break number two right there and come back on the other side and finish this thing up with some more notes. We'll hear more from Coach McDaniel next Drive Time podcast, your host Travis Wingfield, brought to you by Autoonation.
Speaker 3: Just a little bit more to go here.
Speaker 5: I want to talk about the linebackers and finish up and the secondary before we get to some Coach McDaniel audio here. I continue to be so impressed by Andrew Van Ginkol and kind of taking on multiple roles in this defense. His feel for space was always something that I praised in terms of how he covered the curl flat as an outside linebacker and an edge defender. You know, go whack the tight end on the split flow action. Get depth, find the curl flat route and go plaster that running back, whoever it might be. And you see the way that he uses that same recognition, recognition and awareness of space for how he gets down into the B gap to B gap as a run defender because he gets right up to the formation, gets right behind a defender and the blockers cannot catch and climb and get to him and absorb him in the blocking game because of that position. And then he reads the back and is able to go left or right to the gap that he has to pick based upon how he reads the backs action and often gets in the correct gap to make a place. So I think Van Ginkel has a chance to really play some ball this year for US. I see similar skills from Aubrey Miller, the rookie who made a couple of plays inside and outside, you know, both in a mic and sam position today, So he's got some run game prowess as well. We talked about Noah and Eli in the back end. I thought cam Smith looked good once again, and coach mcdalel talked about his exit from Friday's practice that had everyone worried, including me.
Speaker 4: I was aware of the slip on the concrete that that didn't have a factor in his Uh you know, he's just going through uh what what rookie?
Speaker 2: A lot of rookies go through.
Speaker 4: Really, when you think about it, it's it's very unique to the to their experience, especially if your first second third round draft pick, you spend an entire offseason training to run sprints and test times, none of that is playing football, and then you go someplace where everyone else has been training. Accordingly, you're trying to learn all this stuff. You have a different lifestyle change and all things that come with that. So it's very typical for guys to be working through stuff as they are, you know, really modifying their body and mind to what the NFL life.
Speaker 5: Is also mentioned, Kedrin Smith just impressed by his effort all day long. Elijah Campbell had to pick because he ran to the football and scooped up a deflection. He's been so good this camp Fun got to talk to Fun, got to get to know and just watch his kind of development. I suppose as a safety and a defensive back in this defense, he and Bryce Thompson both find ways to be around the football often. Thompson had a sack and a pass breakup in coverage on Jalen Waddle on back to back plays that'll pop out on the tape. And then finally, Javon Holland was excellent in this practice. He's been good all camplong. He had a one on one play where he tipped it up to himself over Eric Sober, just kind of Dennis Rodman to him in a way, got up top and tipped it up and then pulled it down for the pick. Also had some coverage to force a few incompletions during the team period. He's been super sharp. So fun day, fun week of practice here. I'm gonna take a few days off, although the podcast is back tomorrow with a special episode of the show recapping Zach Thomas's induction into Canton. We did it, guys, It's been a long time coming, Zach Thomas. Welcome to campon Man. Cool to watch that. Then we'll be off on Monday and back at it for joint practices Tuesday night and Wednesday night at five o'clock for the podcast, Let's play one more SoundBite here heading into those joint practices. Here is coach on the value of teaming up against somebody else for practice and when the player should take this opportunity.
Speaker 2: It's something that is very very beneficial. It's very finite. You have generally two opportunities. Last year.
Speaker 4: And against Billy when we had one, but you generally have two opportunities, and you know, guys are sick of going against each other, and what you don't want to do is show up without an edge. And then you know, both sides of the ball have their wins invariably. You know, the Dolphins defense versus the Atlanta's offense, and the Dolphins offense versus Atlanta's defense. One side's gonna.
Speaker 2: Feel the first day that they won the day, and generally.
Speaker 4: The second day things even out because you watch the tape and you're like, no, not again, Okay, you want some you.
Speaker 2: Know, one of those things. So I think all those lessons I'll try to pass along.
Speaker 4: But the main part is that we're there to work together to orchestrate a high octane football practice.
Speaker 2: And you it's a great chance too for a lot of guys to compete against.
Speaker 4: People that have different skill sets, sizes, and statures as well as you know, some young guys. You get to play in front of another organization.
Speaker 2: So you know, we have ninety.
Speaker 4: We have fifty three plus sixteen. There's math there that you know, and you don't know who it's going to be, you don't know what, but those opportunities are premiere really for a guy's career.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 5: In my career.
Speaker 4: I'll share with them that there's been several times that we've ended up signing players that we've gone against joint practices.
Speaker 2: Those type of things are invaluable.
Speaker 5: I think my favorite part of the day was seeing Coach come off the field at the end of practice with his daughter in his hands, and just seeing the way he interacts with her man like as someone that is absolutely in love with his daughter and his little baby girl. Seeing Coach in that same light very very cool to see. And yeah, he's a good family man.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 5: Really enjoy this guy. All right, let's go ahead and get the heck out of here. We'll be back again tomorrow for the Zach Thomas podcast. Seth and Juice gonna drop by and talk about their time up and Canton See and Zach go in the Hall of Fame, loss of plays, entire speech er on the podcast for you guys. Then come back on Tuesday for joint practices in the meantime, you all please be sure to subscribe to the podcast, leave us a rating, and leave us a review. You can follow me on Twitter at Winkle NFL. Follow the team at Miami Dolphins. That's also on Instagram. Check out the fish Tank Podcast with Seth and Juice. Check out the YouTube channel for media availabilities, drive time content, fish Tank Content, Dolphins Day, and so much more, and last but not least, Miami Dolphins dot Com. Until next time, Finn's Up, Caroline, Cameron, Daddy, He's coming home.