Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: The Bloomberg invest Summit currently underway in New York City. Earlier Bloomberg Shanali Bask sat down with Areas Management co founder, CEO and president Michael Aarraghetti. Here is some of their conversation.
Speaker 3: How exciting is for you the private equity versus private credit opportunity these days?
Speaker 1: I don't It's fine.
Speaker 4: I view it all as one spectrum, and I think this is why maybe private credit is.
Speaker 1: Growing and getting the attention that it is.
Speaker 4: Any asset that we invest in, whether it's a company or a piece of real estate, has an unlevered free cash flow associated with it. And as the markets evolve and we innovate, it's really just a question of where do you want to attach to that asset. And in most markets, at the very early stage, sports being one, as Josh Jason, we're just talking.
Speaker 1: About capital structures.
Speaker 4: Capital structures are pretty simplistic, right banks equity or banks high net worth individuals. And as the markets grow and evolve, we all get quite creative and innovative of trying to figure out where where we want to attach. And so, you know, private credit growth in private credit is in fact an extension of people's positive experience in private equity. We're able to go deeper into some of these assets at higher rates of return with more creative structures. But we have capped upside in a lot of these right, So in some of our opportunity to credit mandates, we're actually creating debt like instruments that have equity upside. But private equity is critically important for the investor community because it is the only place where you can go get two to three times your money. So private credit durable, high current yield, performs through most market cycles, but at the end of the day, your return is going to be pretty range bound if.
Speaker 3: Not camp Now, it was interesting a day ago we had a boatload of debate on this stage about private credity, credit risks, opportunities, cracks in the market.
Speaker 1: So let's hear it from you. Where do you believe cracks are, if there are any. We're not seeing a lot of cracks.
Speaker 4: You know, I've been in the private credit market for almost thirty years, and there's a constant and consistent narrative that there's risk being taken in private credit that somehow is going to you know, topple the economy or create systemic issues. Back to my earlier comment, people need to appreciate most private credit instruments that we're all talking about or backed by some form of institutional equity ownership, and most private credit instruments are levered fifty to sixty percent of enterprise value. So if people are really anxious about losses industry wide and private credit, you're blowing through trillions of dollars of value in the institutional private equity real estate and infrastructure market. So people need to zoom out and kind of understand again where these these loans sit, who they're supporting, and the types of types of investments.
Speaker 1: That's one. Two.
Speaker 4: You know, we have close to four thousand middle market investments at areas and the credit performance has been incredibly strong. You know, default rates are low, interest coverage is healthy. Ebitdas growing in the you know, low double digit range. So yeah, we feel pretty good about it. I think it's all a little overblown, to be honest.
Speaker 3: So another part of the market that I did not get to ask some of our guests about yesterday that you do very much operate and is real estate. How much stress is there still in that market right now.
Speaker 4: Well, there's more stress there than there is in the corporate market. I think for maybe obvious reasons. One, the asset class runs more leveraged, so it's a little bit more rate sensitive to the maturity wall issue in real estate is probably more acute than in corporate, the reason being there are just fewer levers to pull to effectively restructure or rehabilitate a piece of real estate. So when you think about maturity wall or even modestly underperforming corporate investments, you have levers to pull both on the balance sheet and the income statement to try.
Speaker 1: To grow through it. You own a building, it's least or it's not least.
Speaker 4: The rent you know, covers your debt service or a doesn't, and that's basically it. So the math of the asset class clearly sets up just for more cute stress. That said, when you when you put office in certain markets off to the side, we are still seeing pockets of strength in multifamily and industrial, which is where we're largely invested. So I think that story will still play out, but I don't think it's going to be a big systemic story. I think it's going to be one that kind of grinds its way out over time.
Speaker 3: Whether it's the corporate market that might look to refinance or really restructure to kind of stave off the higher interest rate environment, or if it's real estate where you're seeing private market values really start to.
Speaker 1: Bottom.
Speaker 3: In some people's perspective, how much money do you put to work? How big of an opportunity.
Speaker 4: As a private market investor, You can't. You can't try to perfectly time markets. That's the good news and the bad news. You have to be directionally accurate. We get the luxury of not having to pay attention to all of the headline, you know, and volatility.
Speaker 1: That that can induce.
Speaker 4: But the best time to invest, both corporate and real assets is when you're when you think you're coming out of a cycle. So in real estate in particular, this is a great time to be forming capital, planting seeds because you want to get out ahead of it. And that's our experience, you know, in multiple cycles. So you know, it's a pretty good deployment environment. Like I said, we are seeing the pipelines pick up, which is encouraging.
Speaker 3: You know, it's interesting in addition to just deploying for your funds, we've reported here at Bloomberg that you're also considering one of the largest private asset manager deals of all time, or at least you've seen in recent years in the.
Speaker 1: Real estate world.
Speaker 3: What can you say about your M and A ambitions of your own, Well.
Speaker 4: Not to speak about rumors specifically. We've been quite acquisitive, as you know. So if you look at our growth, twenty percent of our growth over time has come from some.
Speaker 1: Kind of M and A.
Speaker 4: I have a very strong view that these markets will continue to consolidate.
Speaker 1: And the reason that they're going to consolidate is from.
Speaker 4: The manager's perspective, there's huge benefit to scale. The larger we get, the more people we can have, The more people we have, the more deals we can do, the more deals we do, the more information we get. The better information we get, the better our investment performance, and then we get more aum and so there's this virtuous circle and cycle that scale creates in private markets.
Speaker 1: And people are beginning to see that.
Speaker 4: Investors are putting more of their dollars with fewer managers because they see that opportunity for out performance and they also see a huge efficiency. So most large institutional investors you talk to will tell you that they're shrinking their investor roster from call it one hundred to maybe twenty managers to try to drive efficiency and deeper partnership. And the markets are global and globalizing, so a lot of the things that we learned, let's say over our twenty five years here, we can now apply into developing markets like Europe or Asia that are earlier on in their maturity curve. So we will continue to be at the forefront on the consolidation. We want to be a consolidate tour, not a consolidate tea. I think we have a really good track record of buying companies financially accreative, strategically accreative, and obviously driving culture, which.
Speaker 1: I think is important.
Speaker 4: But we're not alone, so I would expect to see a lot of a lot of activity
Speaker 2: Aeries Management co founder, CEO and President Michael Araghetti speaking with Bloomberg Shanali bask from the Bloomberg invest Summit in New York City.