Speaker 1: Comedy Up Broadway in Lexington. Welcome's Dustin Nickerson April seventeenth through the nineteenth. Then catch the hilarious siblings Leah and Andrew Rudick April twenty fourth through the twenty sixth. And from Dublin, Ireland, It's David Nihil Me second and third Comedy Off Broadway opened in downtown Lexington in nineteen eighty seven, and they're still bringing the best in stand up comedy to the area thirty eight years later. Call E five nine two seven one joke, or visit Comedy Off Broadway dot com co off Brodway.
Speaker 2: This is Kentucky Sports Radio presented by Stockton Mortgage. Now here's Matt Jones.
Speaker 3: All right, good morning, ladies, gentlemen, boys and girls, Grandpa's and grandma's, aunts and uncles. Welcome to another wonderful edition of Kentucky Sports Radio. It is Friday, April eighteenth. It is good Friday, Easter Sunday coming up in a couple of days, and we were happy to join us here. We got some folks are here at KOs Barn Grill. Couple here from Taylor Mill going to the Tyler Childers concert tomorrow night. My buddy over here. Gary Johnson's going to Keenland today, what folks are you walked in from Cleveland?
Speaker 4: Also going to Tyler Chills.
Speaker 3: Also going to Tyler Chillers today. So big weekend and Lexendon this weekend. And we're happy you've joined joined us to be a part of it. As always. Text Port Trio sponsored by the TJ. Smith Law Office called TJ and what happened? Shannon.
Speaker 2: He'll make them pay.
Speaker 3: He'll make them pay. The car's puppy shop. Phone one will be open eight five nine two A two two eight seven. We'll have our whiskey thief call today. Of course Gen Mitchell was our call today yesterday Singer Gen Mitchell and the Avision Glass text machines my cell phone for a couple more days. Is Matt is still off in Amsterdam? I believe he comes back to the United States today, comes back to Kentucky tomorrow, have dinner with these parents on Sunday, and then boom right back in the saddle on Monday to do the show.
Speaker 4: One more, one more show without him than back to normal next week. Mentioning Gen Mitchell, I think we need to apologize to podcast listeners Shannon that that didn't make it in there, right. I know people need get to hear his music.
Speaker 3: I know it.
Speaker 2: I hate that, but it was I think it was probably the best part of the show yesterday, and the podcast listeners didn't even get to hear it.
Speaker 3: Rules are rules, right. The fact he was playing his own song off a cassette tape over the phone and then played it for like ten minutes made the whole whole bit work.
Speaker 4: I had a lot of people message me they were excited for that part of the show then they couldn't hear it. So it's the reason you got tune in live.
Speaker 3: Well one I understand Shannon was gmbilly. Gm Billy pulled the plug and said, you can't put the on.
Speaker 2: The Gmbilly was in Loboll yesterday. He walked into the studio right as I was chopping up the podcast. He had his khakis on and his button up shirt and he looked down his nose at me and goes, we can't put that in the podcast. It's not worth it. I said, okay, whatever you say, sir Billy, So uh yeah, blame Billy.
Speaker 4: Well almost texted you all, I'll pay the fun You know they're not gonna find us for Gen Mitchell playing it over a cassette.
Speaker 3: Both Gene Mitchell's have got more publicity this week than ever before. Jim Mitchell, Animal City.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're the winners of the week, the Jim Mitchells.
Speaker 3: No doubt about it. So Uh, I went to my engineering speaking engagement after the show. Yes, can't wait.
Speaker 4: You're about to hijack the show and make sure we led with this. So I'm glad you're gonna you're gonna open up about it.
Speaker 3: And uh, they booed me off the stage. They were throwing protractors and right angles and all their little engineering gadgets at me, muffins off their lunch play muffins.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so no, it went. It went better than it then I even thought it would. I mean it was I killed it yesterday, Drew. And the jokes. You guys told me not to use the jokes. I made a last minute decision. I used them and they actually laughed. It worked. All the jokes.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 3: The John Calipery room full of timeouts worked. John cali Perry taken early eggs, it worked. And the software engineer joke. They all three worked.
Speaker 4: Like it was a roast. Of John CALIPERI there. You know I have engineering sources, and I tweeted this yesterday. Someone sent me a picture from the front row. I didn't know you were gonna throw on a blazer. I mean I saw you just with your button up. I mean, you really dressed up for those looking sharp. But they said Ryan did a great job. He was one hundred percent Ryan, So I'm proud of you. I didn't get to make it out there. I didn't want to. I didn't want to like laugh in the back and snicker. Why it's very serious. I'm not an engineer. I didn't want to be there to interrupt. So I trust my source here saying it was a great I.
Speaker 3: Wondered how you got the picture since you had, I know people, you had somebody with a little sneaky in town. But but yeah, of course I started with the line that I'm totally gonna start with. I just got through talking to Drew Franklin, sitting by Drew Franklin and shann the dude. Now I'm here in a room and full of full of smart people. They laughed at that. They laughed at that, and so I move then I could go with the jokes I knew I had them.
Speaker 4: You can use me as a punchline anytime? Did you full thirty minutes or twenty? Oh?
Speaker 3: I think they wrapped me up about I started like five minutes late, so about twenty five minutes. Yeah, twenty five minutes.
Speaker 4: I'm impressed.
Speaker 2: I am too, Like, maybe you should start speaking at everybody's engagements.
Speaker 3: No, I'm good at that. But I got my free T shirt on. This is a middle school math competition they sponsored. Okay, so they gave me a free T shirt, so of course I'm gonna wear a free T shirt.
Speaker 4: I like, you have a T shirt on over a T shirt. You're doing double T today.
Speaker 3: Well, this one was out in the car and I couldn't walk outside naked.
Speaker 4: So I yeah, you taking your shirt off that? So well, you're looking good. I'm very proud of Thank you appreciate it. I was very nervous. That wasn't just part of the bit yesterday. I was really wondering how you're gonna do thirty minutes your job.
Speaker 3: Sometimes a crowd is you know, they're not into it. There we had a question and answer session. Got a question from a Louisville fan. We had to put him in his place a little bit.
Speaker 4: What do you ask Give me an example of some questions you.
Speaker 3: Got, well, a couple, probably more football questions in basketball questions.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 3: But the question he asked was something like, uh, you know, do you see uh Kentucky falling into mediocrity in the SEC with all the good SEC teams that are now kind of exploded. And then somebody yelled he's a Louisville fan.
Speaker 4: Get him?
Speaker 3: Okay, gotcha.
Speaker 4: Well, I'm glad you did well, and I'm most impressed by how you're dressed.
Speaker 3: I'm glad hour back to flip flops.
Speaker 4: You really are a vacation out today. It is Friday.
Speaker 3: So I got to tell one other thing we did yesterday.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 3: You know, I have a buddy, Punk works on the UK Media Relations department. He's in charge of the UK Media Relations department.
Speaker 4: Like Uncle Lot. He's a fellow Titans fan.
Speaker 3: He took us on a tour of the brand new UK studios that are at Repperina. You know, all the renovations at Ropperina. They moved the entire video production department studios down at Reperina. So he took Gary and I out for the tour. I'm telling you it is better than any TV station in this state. I'm talking better than any TV station in Lexington, any TV station in Louisville. Their facilities are amazing and so that that's where they'll do the not just the basketball games, but the football games, the baseball games, the softball games, all from these new studios down at Reperina. It blew me away looking at it.
Speaker 4: I knew they were putting one in. I haven't been able to see it. We're not even allowed to do any video in Reperina, So congratulations to them. Is it like UK Athletics or is it also students in like the journalism school. Is it both?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's both, Okay, yeah, the the I guess it's a weekly Well maybe it's a daily broadcast. UK does the student broadcast new broadcast down there in the studio. But then the control room for all the sporting events. Sorry, they have two control rooms cause they have two games at the same time. If like baseball's playing, softball's playing, they've got two different control rooms, top notch equipment. It's it's unbelievable. And the studio is right at the corner of what is that main street and as you're going up to Rapperina and they've got the wind. It's up against the glass windows. So you know, if you want to, people that are walking down the sidewalk going to games, you can look in and see the the broadcast going on at that time.
Speaker 4: It's amazing you and your friend Gary here, who you worked with, were you all just nerding out as farmer news guys?
Speaker 3: Especially Gary. Gary's into that stuff. You know, he shoots for NASCAR and he's into all the lighting and all the everything the cameras.
Speaker 4: Has technology changed a little bit since you were in a well, you.
Speaker 3: Know, we used to have tape to tape editing. Now they edit electronically at their desk on their computer. It's it's totally different than when I am so outdated when it comes to that stuff. But they've got all the new bells and whistles and everything. So if you're walking by down there the up arena, you'll see it the big glass windows. Sometimes they do pull the curtains down if the sun shining, so it blows me away. So I think you guys doing your rapid reaction now, you should do it down there in those studio.
Speaker 4: I'm sure they they'll happily let us inside to use all of their equipment to do video. No, I think they prefer that we stand in the rain or in the snow in December. But that that does sound cool. I like punk a lot. I'm glad they have the resources to keep it going because they do put out great videos, amazing. Sure the students love it too.
Speaker 3: So he said, you know, every school in the SEC now has this own their own studio, their own control room because the SEC network now basically they'll just take their broadcast, like if if Kentucky's playing. I think he said it was Vanderbilt this year. It was all student run broadcast that day.
Speaker 4: Weren't they didn't they have something at the baseball stadium or did I dream that?
Speaker 3: Welln't.
Speaker 4: They're running it out of there and they move it.
Speaker 3: They still got like a control room out there at the baseball stadium.
Speaker 4: I remember when that was put in. That was state of the art. However, long ago, that was.
Speaker 3: Your loans, better than any TV station in this town right now, but it is, it is totally blew me away. So after that was over, then we went and to toured Memorial Colseum. Kind of was walking around Memorial Colseum Historic Historic Memorial Colseum. And I didn't know this, but they took all the wooden bleachers and the one in it's got the VIP area. If you if the next time you go look, it looks like there's wood up the side. Those are the old bleachers and you can three the numbers on the bleachers that they kind of incorporated it into the redesign.
Speaker 4: I've been in there several times, not in the VIP area, but I I didn't catch that. I didn't them in there to look out for. That's the preserved you know, part of the historic historic place is so awesome it is. I didn't get the tour you did behind the scenes, but just going to events there, it is incredible.
Speaker 3: The war monuments are being erected down in front of a memorial coliseum. All the names they used to have once you go in, all the names used to be listed there on the one in the hallway. They're putting them outside and like in some monuments. So it's really cool. So we kept walking around. We next next thing I know, we look around, we're in the Joe Craft Center and we hear a bouncing ball. So we kind of go in. We're looking to, you know, peeking in. Who do you think is in there shooting baskets?
Speaker 4: I'm gonna say, Colin Chandler. Yes, Hey, what again?
Speaker 3: Did you know that?
Speaker 4: I just I'm sure he's been in the lab since the season ended, so it doesn't surprise me at all he's in there.
Speaker 3: Well, it coming off the hills where he just made the announcement. He's coming back. I guess he's got the juices flowing. Yeah, so he was in there shooting some baskets last night.
Speaker 4: That was a complete guest. I'm glad I got it right. But more importantly, I'm glad he's in there working hard. I'm sure a lot of them have been in there recently.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that was a big announcement. I think we all expected it. Uh, there was never really much word that he was gonna leave. Seems to like it here. You know, he committed to pope with BYU big Pope guy. But I'm glad he finally put it out there so you can officially stamp him in there. Jack Pilgrim put a little scoop on the board that Colin never even considered leaving and wasn't even gonna put out an announcement, and some teammates were like, hey, man, you're gonna let people know. He's like, let people know what. I'm just hear him on the team. Do I have to do something? They're like, well, it wouldn't hurt. So he just threw that up. So, I mean, he's been all in since the season ended.
Speaker 3: So when he's in he shooting baskets, who do you think is rebounding for him?
Speaker 6: Uh?
Speaker 4: Someone on the team, I assume, right? Or is this a mother?
Speaker 3: If you can guess this one too.
Speaker 4: Okay, I'm gonna say, uh, Joe Craft himself.
Speaker 3: No, it wasn't Joe Kraft, his fiance.
Speaker 2: I was gonna almost said that.
Speaker 3: I should have let Shannon get his fiance was in their rebounding balls for him while he's shooting it on the day that he makes his big comeback announcement. It was just a kind of a cool scene.
Speaker 4: Heck, yeah, what a what a story of love and basketball. And when he uh put out the jip or whatever he did yesterday, he kind of hit me with him getting married in just a month or two. How many married basketball players have ever been on the team. I googled it and I really couldn't find any I think maybe Michael porter Uh, I think, but I mean I couldn't find anything else before that, even going way back. I'm sure there were some way back in the day, but there's not much out there about it. So we'll have a married basketball player on the roster.
Speaker 3: It focused it happens in football. I think, even like Land and Young, I think maybe being married his last year. I know Dante, my buddy, Dante was married his senior year.
Speaker 4: Billy Gillespie was married to basketball when he was coaching. That was a big part of why we got excited about him.
Speaker 3: But that'd be a good question for Corey Price, who's the last married UK basketball player?
Speaker 4: Well, it was if it wasn't eleven at night last night when I was thinking of this and just sitting around thinking about Colin Chandler getting married, you know, an eleven at night. I almost texted Corey, but I'm like, I won't bug him and put this homework on his plate. But it's awesome. He's coming back. Like I said, we expected it, but I think he's gonna have a huge jump and he's not afraid of what they're adding or the competition. He's got the attitude to bring it well.
Speaker 3: The fiance kind of tipped off their plans when she put posted something on social media like right for the season that she was moving to Lexington writings on the wall the wife's coming to Lexington. You're not leaving Lexington?
Speaker 4: No, And I think he'll have a big role. I know they're still recruiting for the backcourt, but as I said, he's he's welcoming all challengers. He'll fight for minutes and he's not shying away from it. We see a lot of guys that don't want to be a part of a crowded room. Colin Chandlers saying bring it on.
Speaker 3: So that was the big news stories. I think yesterday Colin Chandler announcing he's coming back. Uh, the UK studio now is the best in the SEC. And I got booted off the stage at the engineering luncheon. I think that was.
Speaker 4: Adn't good booed. When can we get kind of the UK upgrade to our equipment? Remember yesterday we got people in here just trying to unplug our equipment as we're on the air. Do you think the new UK studio do you think while they're speaking and doing a show, someone comes up and taps them on the shoulders, like, hey, can I cut the internet real quick?
Speaker 3: I think the UK people would look at this and laugh hysterically at what we're doing our show with It is the number one show in Kentucky, there's no doubt about it.
Speaker 4: Well, maybe one day we'll get to Shannon's.
Speaker 3: Sitting in like a new high tech studio in Louisville.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 2: I mean, I mean, you guys act like you can't get in the studio, like you just did a show in the studio earlier this week. You guys choose to do it at KOs.
Speaker 3: But that's true, that's true.
Speaker 4: That's fair. But even when I'm in there, I don't know. I don't know anything that's going on. You don't know. There's too many buttons. Maybe we just need to learn the equipment that we already have. Complaining about it.
Speaker 3: There's a pink mic that only females are supposed to talk in.
Speaker 4: Think Yeah, I mean you could barely get in the parking garage on Wednesdays, So that shows where we are.
Speaker 3: All right, Well, take our break, come back, go to the phone lines eight five nine two eight h two two eight seven, Ryan Drew and Shannon and we're gonna let Drew. He wanted to do an alien segment last week during Drew Palooza, didn't get around to it. We're doing an alien segment today. There's aliens in the news, So Drew, Today's today, we're doing your alien segment. Yeah.
Speaker 4: When you when you assigned it to me, Shannon and I we're both like, well, we don't really have anything to say, you know, like I can just be like, yeah, aliens, they're up there, they're coming. But there has been an update, yeah, last week, So do you know it? Because I would like to read you the update and get your reaction.
Speaker 3: All I want you to do it, and then if I've got a different alien story, we'll just make it a whole segment.
Speaker 4: Okay, we'll work out here.
Speaker 3: Shannon's got alien news.
Speaker 2: Shout out to aliens, shout out to alien good.
Speaker 3: All right, we'll take our break. Come back. This is Codecky Sports Radio. All right, welcome back. It is Friday. It is good Friday. Here Tekey Sports Radio. Ryan Drew and Shannon Uh. We just talked to a guy here from Pikeville Dome. He calls himself the only Asian, him and his brother, the only Asian Hillbilly's in Pikeville. He's here in Lexington, got a couple of things going on. But guess where he just came from, Shannon. Where's that Stockton Mortgage?
Speaker 4: Ah?
Speaker 2: Well, can he get at stocked in mortgage?
Speaker 3: Well, you can get your home loan and stocked in mortgage. He went out to Lexton Green. The hoffice is here. Talk to my guy, Brian May. He was nice to work with, wasn't he. You're getting ready to buy your first home, you're gonna use Stockton Mortgage. They're easy to work with as domes about to find out and if you want to get it to your closing table without any hassles, contact Stockton Mortgage. They're all across the state. They're in outside of Kentucky. You don't have to be live in Kentucky to use Stockton Mortgage. Just go to their website Stockton dot com, click the button get started. You can apply online. It's an easy process. Dom can do it. I can do it. Anybody can do it. Pike Bowel Hillbillies can do it. I shouldn't say that, no Asian Pike Buel Hillbillies he's you and your brother, So we appreciate it using talk to Mortgagin and appreciate you coming in today.
Speaker 4: Nome ALA's got a good radio voice, so he could have hopped on and so it does have a good voice, a real good radio voice. Jealous.
Speaker 3: Uh, you got to tell that story you just told about your wife Abby.
Speaker 4: Oh, well, you were talking about how we might get goofy in the second hour, and one of you said, like, someone only listens to the second hour because that's usually goofy. Well, at home, in my own home, my wife will be like or like last week, for example, on Monday or Tuesday, I think one of my first days hosting the Yeah, so we're we're at home having dinner. I'm like, how do to do talk way too much about sports? She's like, I want to hear the goofy stuff. Way too much sports on today's show. So, uh, I think there's a lot of people who like when we get a little bit off off topic.
Speaker 3: Well, Shanny, I was yesterday at the convention in the Engineer committee when them came up to me said, I only listened to the second hour cause that's usually when you guys go off the rails.
Speaker 2: It's when we do our Newsy type stuff and things that have nothing to do with sports. But you know, on a show like this, it's Friday, we can do it for two hours if we want to. You can do whatever you want to do.
Speaker 3: That's right, Easter weekend, England Today tomorrow.
Speaker 4: Sports just getting the way when we just knock out some sports. Did you see the portal news?
Speaker 3: What's the portal?
Speaker 4: Was a busy day for the portal. You know, we it's only got about a week left. And I know everybody panics when Kentucky whiffs, as the internet like to say. But yesterday, in a matter of ten minutes, baby Paisia Stuyakovich Andre Stuyakovich went into the portal, and then PJ. Haggerty from Memphis, who was third leading scorer in the entire country, went in right after him. So those were two huge fish to jump in yesterday right about the same time. Any school that has already overpaid and ran out of money, I think they're gonna be regretting as the portal winds down here.
Speaker 3: And that could play into Pope's favor. Heck, do you think I got some money? Kind of they've been chasing a couple of shooters and then go after one of these two guys.
Speaker 4: I want baby Paisia real bad. I want him the first time around. Heck, we've recruited him two different tess cal Perry recruited him and then he went to Stanford at the same time Pope was recruiting him to BYU Pope and figure, and then he transferred to cal last year. And once Pope was at Kentucky last year, he tried to get him before he went to Cal. So maybe third times of charm. But I want him bad. He's good. Former McDonald's All American average eighteen points. I loved his dad with the kings. He doesn't have, doesn't shoot it quite the same percentage as Paysia, but just the idea of having Paysia sitting courtside and rferena. I hope Kentucky reaches out and can pull it off this time.
Speaker 3: Will you be surprised if another person is added to the roster and it is a European player a foreign player? No, uh either.
Speaker 4: There was a name floating around yesterday. His name's Dame. We could have Dame time someone put out a graphic. It wasn't him. It was just like a I don't know, some kind of foreign account. I don't know who runs it. I don't know if it's a news outlet or what. But it said he's considering Kentucky College. And that's not exactly what we go by here. But whatever, if he wants to come to Kentucky College, he can come whatever, he can come and call it whatever he wants.
Speaker 3: Maybe it was Kentucky Wesleyan College.
Speaker 4: They just followed, Oh, I don't know, this guy's a potential lottery picked. Uh so, so I think he was talking about UK, but we haven't heard it. Called Kentucky College very much.
Speaker 3: Eight five nine two oh two two eight seven. We got some lines open. We'll get to you today on the Clark's Pumping Shop phone number. Who's our first collar, Shannon, Nico? Nico, go ahead, Nico.
Speaker 6: Hey from Carolina. H silent, but there was a long time listeners, first time caller. Awesome, you think what mass do you think cal could have done what he did this year with Kentucky's recruits that we have this year?
Speaker 3: Okay, well we'll ask your question, but hang on, Nico, are you calling from class? I'm sorry, are you in class right now?
Speaker 6: Yes?
Speaker 3: What class are you in right now?
Speaker 4: Yeah, we're gonna keep a secret.
Speaker 3: I was curious. I can you can hear the teacher in the backguard. He could tell you he was in a classroom seting.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we won't tell anyone, Nico.
Speaker 6: I know.
Speaker 3: I wasn't gonna tell on him. I just wanted to find out where he was and who's class he was in.
Speaker 4: He hung up on it, couldn't give too much information to take I suspect people.
Speaker 3: I Niko is probably not his real name now, doubting everything he had just said. So so, his question was what do you think Cal would have done with Pope's players that he had this year on the UK team?
Speaker 2: Not much?
Speaker 4: Well, I agree with Shannon Brandon Garrison would have played the four, with Amaro at the five, and then Andrew Carr at the three, and then o Way would have been at the two. He would have crowded the paint as much as possible instead of spacing it out. It would not have been a good group for Cal. Cal had the team he needed, even though they got off to a slow start in the sec He needs those athletic driver guys. He he had the pieces he needed, even though it didn't work out that great for him. I do not think he would have done well with what Pope ed. I suspect Kobe Brand would have missed one three and wouldn't have played again for two weeks.
Speaker 3: I say that that he would be the Jamal Baker guy, you missed one shot, Johnny gjuws angry, pull you out of the game. He wouldn't have played Travis Perry, he wouldn't have played Trent Noah, probably wouldn't have played.
Speaker 4: He didn't even call Trent Noah out of high school.
Speaker 3: True, probably wouldn't have played much, so at least wouldn't probably played Ansley. He'd gone with those six guys. But he would have pulled Kobe as soon as he missed.
Speaker 4: A shot, and it would have been big as possible.
Speaker 3: He'd had Kobe sitting in a corner, standing in a corner like Kellen Grady was talking about, and if he missed a shot, you got pulled out.
Speaker 4: Since the caller brought it up. Cal put out a video yesterday about his roster. I don't know if there's ever been a time Cal Perry has brought back as many players retained him from the past year. Of the ends this year, he's got he's stacked up, But I don't know what Carter Knox will do. I don't think he was included, but you know DJ's back. Billy Richmond will be a big role. He got a couple portal additions. Those would be new pieces. Got a couple five star freshmen. But I know people were wondering if kl was ever gonna do anything because it's been quiet in the portal season. He did put out something about their roster and his excitement.
Speaker 3: Shannon, what do you think What do you think cal would have done with this roster?
Speaker 2: Like I said, not much. I mean that would be a completely different style that he would have to play with those guys. And I don't think Cali Perry is that greater and adapting. I mean he's used to guys that were super athletic. Like I don't think that it would have gone well at all with that roster last year with Caliperrey coaching, Like you said, he would have gotten that rotation down to six guys and the rest of the guy wouldn't even played.
Speaker 4: He has two of the best freshman guards coming in. There's a chance he read and robs them. With Djin because they have another crowded back court, the ball dominic guys who can't really shoot. I'm wondering if if he's gonna have another read Rob scenario down there. But I didn't know that that's your John Caliperry update.
Speaker 3: Well, DJ Wragner becomes a rare third year scholarship player under col. There haven't been many a.
Speaker 4: Five star McDonald's All American third year. I can't think of any that he had to do that well.
Speaker 3: Was Alex Alex Poythrius or will.
Speaker 4: Alex had an injury give him a little bit.
Speaker 3: Of Willie stayed for three years. Now. He wasn't alloy American.
Speaker 4: McDonald's All American.
Speaker 3: Derek Willis dominique. But they weren't McDonald's All Americans. So yeah, all right, well take our break, come back with the phone lines eight five nine two O two two eight seven.
Speaker 2: Goodbye TJ Smith, personal injury attorney called TJ. He'll make them pay now. More of Kentucky Sports Radio presented by Stockton Mortgage. Here's Matt Jones.
Speaker 3: All right, welcome back Kentucky Sports Radio. Ryan Drew and Shannon Apparently Rick Roby was married. Okay, we played for Kentucky, and I knew this when he forgot. He's from Madisonville, Kentucky. Not Frank Ramsey. Gary Gamble was on RUPs fronts from Arlington and he was pregnant. He was married. His wife was Joe.
Speaker 4: He was pregnant.
Speaker 3: He was married.
Speaker 4: He's still playing.
Speaker 3: His wife, Joanne was pregnant with a guy ended up playing with me at Kentucky Wesleyan Baseball. Chris Gamble, how about that?
Speaker 4: Well, I'm familiar with Gary Gamble. I didn't consider him of married players. I'm glad you had the answers. That's why I brought the question up. I knew someone would have the knowledge.
Speaker 3: I should have known that. Oscar, Well, we claim Oscar I was chet Lemon. He was Oscar Gamble. His dad was married. Okay, here's a good question on the avision glass text machine. What would Pope have done with Col's players? Oh?
Speaker 4: Boy, Well, they weren't great shooters, so Pope's out take thirty three is a game. You would have had to call in Omaha on that one and go to a different look. That's why, like I said, it was just they both had the rosters in me. That's why they built him that way. I Pope probably would have made it work with drivers, but you know he he loves loves the three ball and to kick it out. And I mean, I know DJ shot it well and rup, but other than that, he was not a good shooter up for Arkansas last season.
Speaker 3: And I don't think big Z or Adu could have done the five spot that he wanted like Lamari ended up doing well.
Speaker 4: Big Z probably would have gotten more minutes.
Speaker 3: He would have got more minutes. He would have been the guy that would have flourished, I think in Pope's system.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but Cal does the athlete you and Pope's more of give me some shooters.
Speaker 3: He was also on the aby Glass Tex machine. Otega Oway would have probably come off the bench for Cal if Cal had this roster, because Cal would have promised starting spots to Robinson, Butler, car Garrison and Williams. So you'd have Brea and Otaga coming off the bench. That maybe that may be true. I don't know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't know. Hard to not play all the way after we saw what he became. But you know, maybe that was more of Pope development in his system. We'll never know. Yeah, I know the excitement wouldn't have been near what it was if if cal we're still here.
Speaker 3: Our friend Pat says dan Issel was married during when he played all these answers, so I think it was definitely more prevalent back in the day. Doesn't happen these days, not in basketball anyway.
Speaker 4: No, it would be unique for Colin. He's part of the like half the team got engaged last season, but the other guys were seniors and move on car And was there another one? Maybe not another one, but yeah, it would be those two guys got to gather to be or yeah, like at the same day.
Speaker 3: If I'm not mistake, like it was all right, let's go the phone lines eight five, nine, two O two two eighty seven. Who we got Shannon Cayden. Cayden, go ahead, Kayden.
Speaker 7: Hey, I got a question about natea Mint. I know he was supposed to commit before the Mondona's All American Game and he moved his commitment. So what do you guys think about him? And where do you think he's gonna go.
Speaker 3: Appreciate Cayden. You know there was a report yesterday that like Tennessee may be the leader now on with for Nate Amient that Rick Barnes is pulling a magic trick and somehow getting in to go to Tennessee. What are you hearing?
Speaker 4: What an interesting recruitment. I mean he had that fans steak where people were donating money. Louisville thought they had him. Yeah, and Kentucky was in the mix for a while. Kentucky's moved on from that, moved on a long time ago. Arkansas was in a good position for a little bit. It's it's I can't remember recruitment that has changed the leaders so much and just been dragging on and on. I think my guy's really really looking for a good paycheck because that seems to me what's driving his recruitment, especially doing the fans steak thing. But there were crystal ball picks yesterday for Tennessee. Maybe Rick Barnes gets him. I don't know. Why is someone of his caliber, five star we want to go to Rick Barnes. That's not something he's really done much with.
Speaker 3: But I thought Rick Barnes was going to retire, you know, that was a story during March Madness that maybe this was gonna be his last run. But apparently he's still hanging in there.
Speaker 4: Barnes was spotted at the Middlesborough Cracker Barrel earlier this week recruiting Elijah Freeman. So he's still out there grinding.
Speaker 3: I was gonna bring that up, but hey, I'm of him in the Middlesborough Cracker Barrel.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean I would have liked to have had him because I think Pope needs a good five star if he had committed weeks ago. But it's kind of been a circus recruitment.
Speaker 3: Well, I think there was a moment where Kentucky thought they were in pretty good shape with him.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they had one of the biggest offers is reported.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but maybe he's getting more from other people.
Speaker 4: I mean, Louisville talks so much trash like they were gonna get him, and now heck, I don't even know if he's considering any of those schools anymore. I saw Duke has been mentioned Tennessee. Heck might be Kansas spot tomorrow. Who knows he's he's Uh. It feels like a lot of schools has led at different points in his recruitment.
Speaker 3: Well, and we've talked about you know, schools are now casting a wide net and they make their offer and then now players are like negotiating against each other, against these other schools, trying a lot of them not necessarily recruiting wanting to go to a school. They're just going for the who's gonna pay in the most money free agency is what.
Speaker 4: It all comes down to. So they get this settled with the house settlement.
Speaker 3: Who's next, Shannon, Let's go to Jimmy. Jimmy, go ahead, Jimmy.
Speaker 5: Hey, guys, Jimmy here. I got a couple of things. First, one is for Drew. I think he can help me with this one. So I'm trying to teach little Jimmy all about Kentucky basketball, obviously, and I'm looking for Lazy Tuesday. It's been wiped from the internet.
Speaker 4: Oh man, was that Daniel Salzman If I'm not mistaken the song? Yeah, yeah, yeah, oh yeah. That was a one of the original viral videos and Big Blue Nation. That's a shame it's been white from the internet. You've given me a homework assignment. I have to dig that up. That was a big part of early days KSR. We shared that one. Yeah, all of Big Jimmy.
Speaker 5: Is just dying to see it.
Speaker 4: Tom Leech Leach, is that right? And then Okay, I'll go looking for.
Speaker 5: It, okay. And then second update on the Caine's goose. So the original goose was removed and yesterday little Jimmy saw a goose back again. So I got one question for Ryan. So if a goosey's chicken, is that cannibalism or just foul?
Speaker 3: I see what you did there. I appreciate that. Thanks for the phone call. I don't know what I think he's talking about. What goose is he talking about?
Speaker 2: Don't you remember when we were in Milwaukee we had that story about the guy that beat up a goose in the parking lot with a pillow. Yes, well that's what he's talking about. The goose is back.
Speaker 3: The goose is back. Okay, another goose. I got it. It was a good joke.
Speaker 4: It was Did you get the.
Speaker 3: Joke because it was foul?
Speaker 4: There you go?
Speaker 3: Is he chicken or is it foul? There you thinking the call?
Speaker 4: Fine Lazy Tuesday, though it's shame that's been wiped off the internet.
Speaker 3: Who's next Shannon's stuff? Steph? Go ahead, Steph.
Speaker 8: Hey guys, sorry, I've been I've been trying to catch up listening to the show and Drew, you did an awesome job.
Speaker 4: Thank you, Steph. I appreciate you listening and saying.
Speaker 8: That, Yeah, I got my cast off. It's gonna take another six weeks to heal full of heel, and I got to go back and see the doctor in five weeks.
Speaker 3: Well, you got to get back on the on the court again. The team needs you.
Speaker 8: Yeah, well we're done with basketball, but softball is coming up.
Speaker 3: Okay, Yeah, get back on the diamond and all night. Well, well, good luck, Steph. We hope to see you again here in kas Bar again this summer.
Speaker 4: Yep, go catch all right by ste tighten up, Steph.
Speaker 3: Oh she a Titan fan.
Speaker 4: Also, she goes through the misery with me.
Speaker 3: Eight two eight seven. Did you happen to see the story about Michael Jordan's Ferrari.
Speaker 4: I kind of caught the headline, but I don't know the details. Can you tell me about it?
Speaker 3: I remember this was a big deal in the nineties. Jordan had this unbelievably fancy ferrari like it was. It was a big news story that they made this ferrari, especially for him. It was like Chicago Bulls Red and he drove it to the games for like a two or three maybe maybe more than that he drive this Ferrari to the Chicago to go to the games. Well, he ended up selling it. His license plate I think said like I am MJ or something, and the guy who bought it, he had life plate, said I'm not MJ. But he could only be driving around Boston, I mean Chicago, and people thought it was Michael Jordan driving this around. Well, he ended up selling it in an auction and then it disappeared like nobody could find it, like for like twenty five years, and nobody knew who happens Ferrari? And I guess it just surfaced like this week it came out of the hiding. The dude that owned it had died, I guess, until the family finally released it and they're going to auction it again. But this it's been like one of the big stories like where's Jimmy Hoffa, where's Michael Jordan's Ferrari?
Speaker 4: Has this been chilling in someone's garage for several years? Yeah, well I'll probably go for for a high amountain auctions. Yes, yes, with the story around, with the story around it, Yeah, I'm more impressed by the guy that God had got an I'm.
Speaker 3: License not MJ.
Speaker 4: So I thought that maybe Michael about he's got plenty of money, can he buy it back.
Speaker 3: I believe Michael's got enough money he could probably buy it back if he wants to buy it back. But how maybe it was a big story there for a while. Wow, like whatever happened to this car? Well, when he got the car, it was a big it was a big deal back then.
Speaker 4: Do you have any cars you wonder about where they are in the former. You've had a lot of former vehicles, that's very true.
Speaker 3: I had a gold nineteen eighty Ford Mustang Wow with no air conditioning, and I had the lamb covered seats.
Speaker 4: Oh my goodness, I can picture you.
Speaker 3: I had the Pioneer stereo, Shannon eight track, cassette eight track and cassette stereo, Pioneer speakers.
Speaker 4: Oh.
Speaker 3: I put a sun roof in it.
Speaker 4: That was a bad hair blowing in the wind.
Speaker 2: Yeah, def Leppard coming out of those speaks.
Speaker 3: Oh my goodness, it was awesome. Where do you think it is right now, Junkyard? Somewhere in Otwell, Indiana. All right, we'll take our break, come back, go back to the phone lines eighty five nine two eight oh two two eight seven, got a couple of lines open here on the Clarks Pumping Shop phone line, and we'll got your avs and glass text matchines rolling today, So give us a call. We're right back. This is Kentucky's Ports Radio. Oh yeah, all this takes me back in my gold Mustang when knows down because there's no air conditioning. Got a little deaf leopard jamming on the Pioneer stereo system. Can't you feel it?
Speaker 4: You're proud of that Pioneer sound system.
Speaker 3: Well, I was top notch back there. Yeah, in the mid eighties, my buddy Rick says, Michael Jordan actually got a ticket on I seventy five in that Ferrari. I don't know what he was doing down here, but I don't doubt it.
Speaker 4: Something like that might have been speeding a little bit.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Have you ever had any run ins with any expensive vehicle?
Speaker 3: You're funny. You're really funny.
Speaker 4: Any stories you want to tell us.
Speaker 3: I've not hit a Ferrari, I have not.
Speaker 4: Have you hit like a Masorati, a Cadillac?
Speaker 3: I may I may have hit a Maserati, Yeah, on Lee's Town Road and the I rear ended it and the guy got out of the car and looked at me in the eye and said, you know, this is one hundred and thirty thousand dollars car. Right, If I.
Speaker 4: Were anywhere near a luxury car like that, I would be driving as slow as possible. You could fit ten cars between mine and them in front of me.
Speaker 2: Of all the cars to hit too, I hit the one there's one hundred and thirty grand. You couldn't have hit the one that's already banged up.
Speaker 3: What's it doing on Lee'stown Road?
Speaker 4: Well, probably just driving around like the cars were supposed to do. What are you doing hitting it on Lestown Road?
Speaker 3: I didn't know.
Speaker 4: Are you blaming the Maserati?
Speaker 3: I remember after I hit. I didn't know as a Maserati, obviously. When I hit it and I look up and as you see the name on the back of the trunk Maserati, I'm like, oh, this is not gonna be good. The bumper had replaced the bumper my insurance agent is, well, we happy to tell you was thirty thousand dollars, just the bumper that I had.
Speaker 4: So you didn't see like this very expensive car in front of you.
Speaker 3: No, not at all.
Speaker 4: What are you looking at?
Speaker 7: Well?
Speaker 4: Look out and put your phone down.
Speaker 3: Ryan, Well, there was like road constructions when they were redoing lee'stown road and there was this guy walking right along the side of the road. I took my eyes off to look at him, and bam, hit the masarati in front of me.
Speaker 4: Wow. I can't even imagine that that happening.
Speaker 3: That's great memory for me. I appreciate that. Apparently, Kansas transfer riland Griffin has announced he's going to visit Kentucky this week.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that just popped as the show started. As we all know, Kansas, the season did not go well when they had a really good roster. But he's a great shooter, forty percent shooter from three uh shoots well off the pick and roll. He'd he'd be a good addition if that's uh what they what they end up with.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So whether they get the Baby Stogic or Riylan Griffin either, So Dakovich, you get one of those two guys, you gotta feel pretty good about that hole that you're trying to feel to be a shooter.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I said it. He shot it really well. I mean that's a lights out, knockdown shooter. His career average is great, So that's kind of a piece they're looking for.
Speaker 3: Man, things just did not go well Kansas this year.
Speaker 4: No, he started most of the season for them. I mean before the year where were they ranked?
Speaker 3: Were number one?
Speaker 4: They're number one?
Speaker 3: Right, number one?
Speaker 4: Had a great roster looking uh changing from Griffin the one hundred Dickins, the thing was a blessing in discots. He just seems to take down wherever he goes. I know we wanted him when he was wanting bad. Yeah, the night the night Cow got chicken tenders of Jeff Ruby's on his visit and we were disappointing he went to Kansas, But that that turned out to be a good thing.
Speaker 3: Somebody found my gold Mustang. Look at that. Oh my goodness, that is that not a chick magnet or what the ladies in Well, Indiana were lining up to get in that car?
Speaker 4: Oh my goodness, I can't imagine what that thing smells like.
Speaker 3: I'll tweet it out, Shannon, you won't believe, Okay, Yeah, I gotta see it.
Speaker 4: We got to get you to that back, even for a day.
Speaker 3: Tom My car, Tom You're next, Tom go ahead.
Speaker 9: Hey, guys, thanks for taking my call and getting me through to the weekend.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 9: The other day, Ryan, Billy and Shannon were talking about your prowless on the baseball field and throwing out some stats and Billy said they're almost like Tony Gwinnish numbers. So, uh later that day, which I thought was a pretty big statement. So you got Billy some some some props for that. But uh, yesterday interviewed with John Smoltz popped up and I know Shannon and Drew our Braves fan, and he said that one of the greatest feats in Major League Baseball ever was that Smoltz, Maddock's Glad and Pedro Martinez faced Tony Gwynn like three hundred and thirty times and only struck him out three times.
Speaker 3: Yeah, amazing. See, yeah, Glavin.
Speaker 9: Struck him out twice. They said that Pedro and Maddox never struck him out, and Smoltzy said he did once. So that's pretty awesome.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I appreciate the bunkle. I've seen those stats of Tony gwyn As the mates like he'll strike out in the entire season like fifteen times, and the dude struck out fifteen times in his first eighteen at bats this year. Something like that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I saw that pop up just a few weeks ago. And I mean that's going against some legend pitchers.
Speaker 3: They're right, some of the best they ever play during that era. And he was just he was just with one of those one of those guys. He just get the bat on the ball. He was not gonna let you strike him out.
Speaker 4: So do you feel like you had some Tony Gwynn and you looking at those numbers?
Speaker 3: Absolutely not, No, not at all. That didn't close. Apparently Michael Jordan was in town for the Kentucky Bluegrass Games. He was the Grand Marshal. Okay, so you think he drove that Ferrari from Chicago down to like we Grand Marshall and then just drove it back.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I found the Tony gwyn tweet you brought up. He had fifteen strikeouts in five hundred and seventy seven plate appearances, and this year Raphael Devers struck out fifteen times in twenty three play That's unbelievable.
Speaker 3: Twenty three plate appearances, he struck out twenty struck out fifteen times. Win goes a whole season and the only struck out.
Speaker 4: For almost six hundred plate appearances and struck out fifteen times.
Speaker 3: Shannon the dude could have struck him out and he's Bellerman.
Speaker 2: Day's oh please yeah, been so that would been like the slowest pitch you'd ever seen. Maybe that would have thrown him off a little bit.
Speaker 3: This is on the Avies and Glass text machine. Also, my mom hit a Maserati. See I'm not the only dufust in town. I guess it hits Masaratis. Let's get another phone call before we get out of here. Shannon, who we got, Stub Stub, go ahead, Stubb.
Speaker 10: Hey, guys, had a quick question for you. You guys are all from different counties. I'll give Ryan Fayette because he's not from Kentucky. You're going to eat at one place in your county between ten and twenty five bucks bullet Hopkins and I got Ryan Fayette.
Speaker 3: That be That's a great question. Appreciate that, Drew. You go first, Hopkins County.
Speaker 4: People ask me a lot these days where to eat Madisonville by I've been removed twenty years now, and there's a lot of new places I haven't tried, so I'm bad at this game. I'll say, Farrells, it's the it's a little dinner with burgers. That's that's what I miss a lot. You can definitely there for ten between ten and fifteen dollars or Taco Johns. I love Taco Johns. Also shout out to Taco Johns. But I'm out of touch with the Madisonville restaurant scene. When I was there, it's mostly Mexican restaurants. Maybe go to elber Sero. I'm sure it's still there, but I'll say Farrell's. It's my final answer.
Speaker 3: Shadow about you. For Bullet County.
Speaker 2: We have so many just like chains, like every fast food place you can imagine, so I'm going to eliminate all of them. I'm not gonna say like Ellan Nopaul or anything like that. But we have a really cool Italian restaurant, like right in the middle of Mount Washington called I think it's like a more meal Italian and I went there for the first time a couple of weeks ago, really really good. So I'm gonna I guess, I guess I'll say that one because I can't think of any others. The rest of them are just chains.
Speaker 3: Well, if you're giving me Fat County, the one restaurant I would definitely recommend above all others is a place called Chaos Bar and Grill there is really really good, and especially if you're going to the Tyler Childer's concert. My folks from Taylor Mill and Cleveland are going to the Tayler Childer's concert. Come here first. We're having a Tyler Childers like pre concert party here. It's gonna be playing the music on the on them here on the boot.
Speaker 4: Box, and we'll probably be the one in charge of the music.
Speaker 3: I bet you are the one in charge of the music.
Speaker 4: And the forecast has gotten a little better early in the week, a little touch and go. You know, I'm gonna knock on everything here, but it's opening up for us.
Speaker 3: I think so. I think so. You can park here in our parking lot, but you got to eat at one of our local establishments here, our friends Alapinos or Sumo or Tilted Killed or one of us right here. If you want to park in the parking lot, don't park o in that area in the Dairy Queen parking lot. They don't like that very much. You don't do it over there. Don't do it. But we'll have plenty of plenty of partying going on here at Chaos Bar and Grill.
Speaker 4: I've got a bunch of family in for Eastern We're gonna come eat dinner here and then most of them are going home. Then me and Abby and her brother are going over to the concerts. So we're gonna have a big group in here.
Speaker 3: And maybe Tyler will even come in.
Speaker 4: Probably not, I'm sure he's a little busy, but he's welcome to come on in and if he wants to. But it's gonna be a good time. I'm really looking forward to it. I didn't get to go to Stapleton a couple of years ago, so this will be my first kroger Field concert. I'm really looking forward to seeing how how it looks in there.
Speaker 3: And apparently you know there's it's it's Akroger Field, so there's seats everywhere, but there are some decent seats available, I think still if you're running trying to go, so it's out there. Winona, I think is the opening act?
Speaker 4: You got a favorite wine owner song. I've been playing Tyler for two weeks, getting getting getting ready for it. They're all stuck in my head.
Speaker 3: Well, well maybe it's Shannon will play some of that with he can get away from playing Gene Mitchell for us in the next hour and for.
Speaker 4: Our caller, we found lazy Tuesday. So stick around. Tay found it, Corey Price found it.
Speaker 3: Corey Price, all right, we'll take our break, come back our number two, and we come back. You're gonna take a sports radio