Speaker 1: Now, The Shotguns Starting Golf is full of mathematics. There's a lot of a lot of setup work that we have to do in order to make a tournament work. So I'm going to demonstrate to you just exactly how we do a shotgun start here And.
Speaker 2: Alright, alright, alright, did no man?
Speaker 3: Darn your.
Speaker 4: Greetings and welcome to a Friday edition of The Shotguns Start. It is April third, Andy, how are we doing, bred Dan?
Speaker 2: I'm doing fantastic. I gotta say I I feel like I missed the mark. I've remedied this situation. You know, important people in my life. I put calendar reminders for birthdays.
Speaker 5: But I don't always do this.
Speaker 2: There's like four people in my life that I have been set up for that like I wouldn't otherwise. Remember, Okay, the beautiful boy the silver Slovak turns fifty.
Speaker 4: You don't have a calendar reminder for that, dude.
Speaker 5: I've now said it.
Speaker 4: Oh, I'm.
Speaker 5: The beautiful boy.
Speaker 4: You got Wes silver Slovak TV. I did you know? I did help, but I couldn't help. But notice we're joined by Kevin van Volkomberg. Jump in there, Kevin. We're privileged to have you here. We're gonna be doing a jumbo flashback, Brendon.
Speaker 6: I'm playing the role of foreign invader here in this podcast.
Speaker 3: All the Americans are gonna have to crumple in my wake.
Speaker 4: We're gonna do a big flashback on a sort of lesser known Lesser talked about Masters nineteen eighty six on its fortieth anniversary. But you're breaking up the BFB the Sabo picture, Andy was reminding me the other day. You're talking to Bernhard Lanner, I believe is how he pronounced the G in there on your Friday podcast, and Sabatini's in the background. I'm just like wondering this very serious German fella, Like who am I talking to? And why is Sabo?
Speaker 6: Like?
Speaker 4: What is he a bring Sabatini fan? Like, of course he probably hasn't been up on the whole thing. That was all I could think about in some of the clips, is what was Bernhard thinking as you were asking him questions and Sabbo was looking over his shoulder. I mean, I don't mean.
Speaker 7: To butt in here, but this is this is he's got to be scouting this competition. He's out there now. I think that I think Bernie is very aware.
Speaker 4: That today Rory has come to this Chips Tour, He's already signed up for the PGA, uh Senior PGA as it were very exciting development here uh less exciting real quick, before we get this flashback, Tiger officially out of the Ryder Cup. Captaincy has told the PGA he's not like I think, you know, September twenty twenty seven is a long way away, right, So, like, I guess that is newsworthy. Did we expect to play the Masters next week?
Speaker 8: No?
Speaker 4: Do we expect you know, the short term stuff? No, but it's newsworthy in a way. I guess there was a deadline. So that opens the gates for who knows. Justin Leonard was on Golf Channel Stadium's case only because he was prompted to Stu sink Gott to bring Larry Nelson maybe back talking about four invaders, you know, intruders lead the troops into Ireland. Who knows there's a lot of caps. So Tiger officially declining twenty twenty seven. Kind of a sad deal. Tiger and Phil I don't know if they would have been good captains. They quite frankly could have been disastrous captains. I don't know their deference that they would be good as a little misplaced. We don't know, like Paul McGinley wasn't one of the greatest all time good captain. But it's just sad. We're gonna get like a pretty big era of Ryder Cup, a swath of Ryder Cups with no Tiger of Philip captaincy maybe one day, you know, maybe twenty nine. Who knows when that'll happen. So he's out for that. The police videos are out, I like, I I'm not gonna click. I don't need to watch it. He's had so many of these sad moments. I'm not saying that makes me a Pollyanna, or I don't think it exists, or I think like we're being mean, or it shouldn't be out there. Totally fine, I personally is like one of those, Like you know, I'm not gonna watch a bad injury video. I'm not gonna watch some like young television reporter absolutely bomb some stand up report from a baseball field. I just don't. I'm not gonna get anything out of it. So see some of the pictures. Doesn't look good? Does it look pretty? Probably another round of embarrassing videos and photos for Tiger, but that is out there. I don't know if there's any grand takeaway. He's going away to treatment. It sounds like out of the country for privacy current concerns. That's the Tiger update. And thank god, you know he's not gonna play next week, you know, with each drip of video police report, it just would have been a total circus, not that it was within the realm.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think this is uh, this is the best thing for for himself, obviously, and I'm very happy that he's he's he's doing this for himself and and going on a lighter note, you know, and I don't want to breeze past this.
Speaker 5: I don't know if you guys have it more that you want to unpack.
Speaker 2: Here on a lighter note, did you guys see the news that Memorial Parks adding a pod that next time so that so that women who hate this tradition can jump into the pond. Following the win at the former Dinah Shore that they've co opted the uh this celebration despite changing the name, moving locales.
Speaker 5: Now they're building a pond to uphold this tradition.
Speaker 4: A the golf course.
Speaker 6: Let's say you're an old guy and you play regular like Dnesday morning game a memorial park. You don't carry the ball that far anymore, but this is your course. This is like you love this, and now you got to deal with a fucking pond an eighteen that your ball is gonna go into every other time. And it's just like you're absolutely enraged over the fact that this pond, this ridiculous thing just to have one tournament year where they're going to jump in the pond for thirty seconds, you have to have a pond in front of your damn course.
Speaker 4: It's it's farcical. Let's just like be honest with ourselves and like it's a joke. If that is your signal, your signature identifying characteristic of your major, that you jump in the water, a that like diminishes the golf in and of itself, like or you just shouldn't have moved. You shouldn't have moved from where the pond was already in a pool. It was a pool. Let's let's be real here. They could just put an above ground pool sixty yards back into the right behind the behind the green. But this appears to be well, the rendering is grotesque. It is grotesque, looks terrible, It is terrible. It's a fundamental altering of the hole. Are they bringing in Tom Doak, the recent architect? Is he have to do like in theory? Couldn't they get Joe Schmoe excavator from down the street in Houston? Like this isn't presuming Tom Doak designed the hole. He wanted to design it, not in a way that you know. I bet these pond jumping traditions and hijinks that's why he built the hole, not not for that, get whoever to do it.
Speaker 5: I was talking to Tom.
Speaker 2: He he he's excited that he gets to rework the eighteenth Green because it wasn't his favorite green out there.
Speaker 4: Okay, it's excited about the new water feature. I don't want to put him on the record. Maybe we won't say who could say he's excited about the green.
Speaker 6: We'll leave it at what great ponds have you been inspired by.
Speaker 3: In the past.
Speaker 2: I was pushing him Devlin's billibon.
Speaker 4: That's what I mean. That's essentially what they're trying to do here. Let's just create something for them to jump in.
Speaker 6: Don't dis count this social media cloud that you get every year for that one clip of a lady jumping into the water.
Speaker 3: That's basically it.
Speaker 4: That's it. I mean, just leave it where it was then in Mission Hills. You know, God, what a farce, what a complete farce. And it's im MUNI nonetheless, that's it. I also had Jonathan k follow up from his corn Ferry to our start. We know someone who played with him and made him aware of the podcast. I won't go into too many details, just apparently he did the start for insurance reasons. So there you go. He got a KFC start at fifty five for insurance reasons. That's what we want on this competitive league sounds I just told you he was angry but a nice guy, which I guess can be co exist. All right, that's our follow up. Let's get to a special to jump.
Speaker 2: In before we get Before we get there, you know, what I've realized this week is that there's one person. You know, Saturday's a big, big night of college basketball, and I think there's a person on this podcast that actually wants Illinois to win more than I do.
Speaker 4: Who's that PJJ? Because of his anti early stuff, PJ.
Speaker 5: I'm trying to get PJ some Illinois gear.
Speaker 7: I am more of the game. I am desperate. I am I need. I need the Balkans to do one job. Just do your job. Finish, finish the story. It's just I like that you're giving me an opportunity to just put positive energy out there. It's gonna be a great eat week next week. We need to start it off on the right foot. Try to stay positive the Balkans. Please, I'm begging you.
Speaker 2: I might be getting to August a little later if if the if the Balkans pull it off Falcons, I might be changing my flight to Indianapolis instead of Atlanta as well.
Speaker 4: I Pj's not a bit with PJ. I brought it up, not in a podcast setting, in an internal call that like I would just been talking to someone from and he like was the most wound up i've seen him, Like, Oh, he was shouting and angry. The boy does not like Yukon needs them to be stopped.
Speaker 5: Someone must stop them. Hopefully it could be the.
Speaker 4: Line I it's foreign intruders. The foreigners is what learned here. They'd be referred to the Balkans and the nineteen eighty six Masters broadcast good luck for you.
Speaker 5: Should I get my wine out for this segment.
Speaker 4: No, no whine.
Speaker 5: That's frustrating.
Speaker 4: I was just popping him. I mean, he puts this fish bowl to his face in the middle of recording. I feel like.
Speaker 2: I've recorded with Joseph before. We're like out of nowhere. The wine comes out, but Joseph he's the one drinking it. Yeah, like I I remember, I think you were gone and I was. I was recording with him and just out of nowhere, Like it was like twenty minutes into the pod, He's just drinking a glass of wine and I'm thinking in my head, where did this come from?
Speaker 4: Okay, so Saturday, you're not going confirm Final four, but Monday, perhaps per chance, then we'll just you don't have to confirm lock yourself into anything.
Speaker 2: I yeah, I just I've I just can't. I can't get out out of out of my house on Saturday. On Friday, the issues, I'm turning a long trip into a very long trip. If I leave Friday, yeah, yeah, well, good luck to you on Saturday night and then come with May on Monday.
Speaker 4: You know, you know, godspeed, good life.
Speaker 2: I feel like, yeah, I mean, we got to win a national championship.
Speaker 5: Best college basketball program without one.
Speaker 4: That's fair. That's fair. You've been to a boatload of final fours if you count up sort of the pre war era or wherever.
Speaker 5: Not a lot lately.
Speaker 4: Yeah, all right, well, good luck to you on Saturday. It'll be fun. We can't wait to get to Augusta. Hopefully, maybe you get there Monday, maybe you come Tuesday. We'll see. Good luck to you on Satday. We'll certainly talked between now and then, no matter where you are, Indianapolis, Augusta, wherever, we'll be talking before Monday night. I know that we're ready to get down to Augusta. This year, we're going to Augusta. They're good friends from Mercedes Mercedes Benz. They offer a wide range of SUVs from compact to full size, with up to three rows of seating, all with flowing lines and precise edges to balance elegance with aerodynamics. God, that's something you want to balance, you know, you got to keep elegance and aerodynamics in balance in concert. And they do it best that Mercedes Benz. You can customize your driving experience, whether it's through the fast array of interior or exterior options, or the hundreds of in vehicle settings that can be personalized to best fit your needs. The innovative mbux Ai learning capabilities can recognize your habits some driving preferences to create your unique driver profile. Experience the power, precision and versatility of Mercedes Benz SUVs at MBUSA dot com. Slash the Dashmasters that's nb USA dot com Slash the dash Masters to learn more. Very happy to get down to Augusta this year and be with our friends at Mercedes Benz. So with Flashback Big, it's not your everyday flashback. It's a jumbo somewhere between spotlight flashback. We're going to nineteen eighty six, the fortieth anniversary this year of the Greatest Masters, one of the greatest Masters, certainly of a piece with what we watched last year. Maybe not in similar storylines, but in terms of up and down roller coaster, all time, all time Masters, eighty six would be at the very top. Twenty five, you know, coming in there now and joining the battle with time will marinate and see where it slots.
Speaker 2: I have a hard time, you know, I want to watching this one and twenty five incredible Masters, and it's kind of more of a solo character, but to kind of set the table here. I just wanted to, you know, talk about a little bit about like some of the characters involved with this one and their master's records.
Speaker 8: Like.
Speaker 2: I don't know if we'll ever and part of this might be like competitive, I don't know if we'll ever see a roster of people with a chance to win on Sunday that have had such success at Augusta National as this one eighty six. Everybody knows who won. Jack Nicholas six wins, fifteen top fives and Augusta in his career fifteen. I mean, like the six wins is crazy. Fifteen top fives.
Speaker 4: I I was looking up most runner ups because Kite it was a factor. Norman was a factor but never won it. But Jack like blows him away with the runner ups, like he's way down, like you know, but also as the six they have zeroint of top.
Speaker 2: Also in the mix, Tom Watson, Jack's like foremost rival in the decade before h So you got these two kind of grizzled little vets. Two wins, nine top fives. You've got seven O. Seve looked like he was gonna win for for a while. We'll get into it. Two wins, seven top fives. You got Greg Norman obviously eight top fives, eight top five finishes for Greg Norman, tom Kite nine top five finishes, like kind of like the best player at the Masters that nobody ever references as the best player of the Masters that never won.
Speaker 4: And at one point in the broadcast they say his record is second to none at Augusta and they're like, well, besides, it's the guys who've won. Like, literally, he would love it for that green jacket. His consistency almost demands it before he has finished, is what they said of tom Kite. Second to none.
Speaker 6: I think it would take issue that of I was Tom Weiskoff too, who was like really freaking good at the Masters, like had a couple solo second finishes, took.
Speaker 4: Five runner ups, four or five runners on the broadcast.
Speaker 2: Bernie Longer two wins, three top fives. Also in the mix, you know, just a crazy, crazy cast of characters. And there are some other characters of it, but just those names and those records. I don't think we'll ever see anything like it again.
Speaker 4: So Jack is, in current form standards, the worst player in the mix there and not much expected of him. There was ironically enough the first ever Sony Ranking world ranking came out this week going into this tournament. Now, of course there have been refinements, but this is what they had that week and what they came up with. Number one was Hard Lotter, who's in the second the last group, second to last group, I believe Sevy who looks to be the favorite for most of the back night. Sandy Lyle, who's playing with Jack in the fourth to last group. I believe it is Tom Watson, who you mentioned, is in the mix. So that's the top four in the world, all within the last three to four groups. Top four, you skip Omira, who's fifth. Not Norman is sixth.
Speaker 5: Have a good, good week.
Speaker 2: The only time it flashed was was for like a split second his pairing what they shot.
Speaker 4: Norman is sixth. Knakajima seventh in the world rankings. Both are heavily involved in contention this Sunday. Hal Sutton don't see him on this broadcast, Corey Paven you see him for better or worse on this broadcast. That's ninth. Calvin Pete tenth in the world. He comes in on the broadcast at a top ten fIF So that's the top ten right there. I think there were only two names that I didn't mention among you know, last four or five groups in appearing on the broadcast. Everybody is in the mix. And then you add in the greatest champion of them all with the greatest charge, one of the great back nine charges. So yeah, a great Masters record, a great top of the world rankings record. We're gonna go pretty by new tier in detail, but what I'll set up a few things. Watch this on YouTube. It's three hours long on YouTube. You can jump around as you see fit. It's the seventh most viewed video on the master's YouTube account, which is very Tiger heavy. It's Tiger twenty nineteen ninety seven oh one, a Bryson hole in one rombine skip it to an ace like some twenty nineteen stuff, and then nineteen eighty six, So that those are the views. It's it's up there, non Tiger, it's it's basically the most watched.
Speaker 6: Without looking it up, could you guys guess how much the winner takes home for winning this Masters.
Speaker 4: I know it because I looked it up.
Speaker 5: One hundred and eighty thousand dollars lower.
Speaker 6: One hundred and forty four thousand dollars which is the equivalent of finishing nineteenth in Vlero.
Speaker 4: This week, the total purse was eight hundred and five thousand total purse, which is you know what you know Lucas Glover makes for wiping his ass nowadays. It's crazy. It's amazing. Eight hundred five thousand dollars amazing. Inflation is is wonderful thing.
Speaker 3: Sorry, Lucas Clover, real quick, Brennan.
Speaker 6: Yeah, these golfers are forty six years old this year. Sergio Garcia, Graham McDowell, Bran Snedecker, Adam Scott is forty five. So with turning forty six this year and Lucas Glover, so one of those guys could give us storytale story fairytale ending this year and win the Masters.
Speaker 3: Just be Jack Reducts all over again.
Speaker 4: Rosie's forty five, I would say he's very legit. You gotta be turning forty six this year, probably not before now, in April whatever, but forty five feels like he feels like the one who could do it. Just incredible. You've laid out the characters and somehow they're all in the mix, good the bad to the end. The very last putt I did not realize, Greg Norman, honestly, I was three years old when this happened. Andy, I don't know if you were born. If you were, you were like a week old. Maybe I wasn't. I wasn't born yet. I wasn't about to be born, Okay, so we I Obviously, for a certain generation, it's honestly been reduced to yes, sir, and the putter rais like that is. I'm sure twenty five for a generation will be Rory falling to his knees and into like, you know, the Rose putt that missed the edge in the playoff. We won't think about. We barely see it anymore now a year later. But but for eighty six, it's been reduced to yes, sir, and the birdie at seventeen, which you know was a great birdie, but I'm not sure the best one. Maybe not the highlight of Jack's back nine, so much action. I thought, what and this was a throwaway line from Ken van Turia's Norman was scuffling about eighteen. They're like these broadcasters who are pretty stoic and deadpan, are trying to balance that, right, the master's tone and what is happening? And he throws it away. He goes, it's it's just everything seems to happen here. Is what Venturi said about how the stuff you couldn't write up in like if you were trying to pretend and script the most traumatic and ridiculous and amazing and breathtaking Majors just seems to happen. And he was he was talking about Seve's horrible shot into fifteen and Jack's charge. He goes, it's just just everything seems to happen here. And I thought that summed it up so well. It was in the middle of a monologue and he was he didn't know how to put it, and I thought that perfectly encapsulated this eighty six Masters, which we'll get into. He said, he's been coming here since fifty four. You can't remember a golf tournament like this. Ever, some are all said the same thing. Pat Summer on the eighteenth tower said the same thing. I've been here for nineteen years. So let's get to Jack and we'll do some big themes here at the top. By eighty six, he said, I was not the player I was fifteen years earlier. I've always thought the Masters was a young man's tournament because the speed of the greens, the firmness of the course, the demands it puts on your nerves. There's so many fine little shots you have to play there. Your game isn't right going in Augusta. It's sure as heck isn't the place to find it. He says similarly in Butler Cabinets getting his jacket, He's like, look Porthard and the speed you keep these greens. This is a young man's tournament. Now, I feel like that's sort of that's not the narrative here in twenty twenty. In the twenty twenties, right, it's more there's like you have to have experience. You know, Freddy Couples is gonna shoot his sixty seven, and then you know Phil can still contend or Rose can, Like I don't know if that's still the narrative, but it was for Jack. This was his twenty eighth Masters would have been Tiger's twenty seven this year he's obviously not playing, So twenty eight twenty three years between wins from sixty three to eighty six the longest ever probably gonna hold up. I would just guess twenty three years between Majors or Masters is probably gonna hold up. The final nine holes remain the record for the lowest nine final nine of the tournament. You know, to seventy second hole. It's tied with Gary Player in seventy eight for thirty and Inward thirty on Sunday with a bogie on twelve. Pretty good, pretty good stretch. I also found it interesting there's only two guys where progressive scores have gotten better to win from Thursday through Sunday. He went seventy four, seventy one, sixty nine, sixty five, just all throughout. Marcomira is the only other one. Ironically enough, Jack also holds the record for progressive scores better going or worse, I should say worse. So he's done progressive scores worse, gone wire to wire, getting worse every day, and also done progressive scores better every day to win it with only our omera. It had been two years since his last tour win, and he's forty six, as you as you noted, previous winner of that of the oldest age all This previous winner was forty two Gary Player. Anything Jack, high level you want to get into here. We had heard so much about this that story is pretty well told. You've read in the papers that you know, he's not really a golfer anymore. He couldn't do it. That was pretty much the narrative coming in.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: One thing that I always just think about is like he leudes us to this. The very end of the thing was like, you know, my interests are kind of more in business now, and I'm I'm going to show you his business like stuff was kind of a mess.
Speaker 3: Like he he.
Speaker 6: Had made some bad investments, Like he was always kind of a little bit jealous of Arnie's like golden touch with business stuff and tried to keep like investing in various things. And that kind of has continued, like all throughout the next forty years of him making some not great investments or questionable business decisions. And it just so like there was a lot of weight to that of like, oh Jack, like you know, it needs to play well again, because like his he's kind of blown through some of his money and he's not quite figuring this shit out the way that Arnie always did.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he he in the in Butler Cabiny lids to like, I like doing this off the course stuff. You know, golf hasn't been my own focus. I like it but it seems like it was a distraction because of bad business and take you know, the business is going poorly. It was sort of the read between the lines, there go ahead.
Speaker 5: I think something I took away and.
Speaker 2: You know, big picture, I'm sure we'll talk about the telecast, but like the you know, you don't see every shot, but like one of the things I took away is like this is like the greatest back nine ever at Augusta. But from a sense, like you know, this is the thing that makes Augusta so cool. It's like he didn't do anything extraordinary and away, like he kind of just he took what, you know, the shot on sixteen to me was like the shot that was the best shot, but in terms of like he kind of just took what the golf course gave him.
Speaker 5: He made some.
Speaker 4: Putts, made some putts, rolled them in, but.
Speaker 2: Like the this is that that's the beauty of Augusta is like this score is out there. It's really hard to tactically avoid the mistakes at Augusta. But if you watched this round, you're kind of like I kind of was like, you know, I watched this years ago, but I had forgotten really like what propelled this round, and I kept watching being like wait, like when's he gonna make it move?
Speaker 5: When's he gonna make this move?
Speaker 2: And then it's just like, oh, like he's there because like you know, he doesn't appear on the first page of the leader board forever. But it kind of like cemented home to me the idea of like you don't have to be perfect out there, like it is just sitting out there for you if you can, just if your putter gets hot, or if you hit some really great shots. And what's more that you know, the big thing the more, the thing that kind of prohibits you is yourself destructing, and we saw a lot of that too.
Speaker 4: I think, like you talk about that, like he rolled into big putts. I think there was no like the best birdie watching this, I think was Norman at seventeen, which also got a yes, sir, I mean it. He did the andy ball, hit it onto the seventh green and like awful tug and somehow punched it through up onto the front of the green and made a birdie got his own big yes sir. I think that's the best birdie of this entire watch, or at least the last hour and a half. It felt like it the most miraculous birdie.
Speaker 2: I wrote this down, like the shot you know, this is the thing is like it gets you said this at the top, winds get reduced to like one moment, like the eighty six Masters that reduced to the punt on seventeen. Really, sometimes they back up to the shot into seventeen, and if you don't win, it just gets lost to history. Sure, Norman seventeenth whole insanity. Shot he hit into the green was so good. It's like one of the best shots I've ever seen in my life.
Speaker 3: Well you'll see it.
Speaker 6: You'll see a little write up that Joseph and I did. We're coming out next week for best Shots and Master's History.
Speaker 3: But totally agree.
Speaker 6: I will say, you know, we said, like the shot in sixteen, shot in seventeen. Let's just be clear, though we don't have any footage of the shot into nine, the shot into ten, or the shot into eleven. Like the fact that he made a birdie on eleven is kind of bonker and we don't know, it doesn't exist. Like he's in the tournament at this point, like he's doing well enough to where they're paying attention to him. But Cebia still at this point is kind of figuring out how to cover a tournament with five six different people in here.
Speaker 3: If this were broadcast today like this, I.
Speaker 6: Think people would lose their mind because of all that we don't get to see that we just sort of take for granted. I mean some of the literally like you know big Like I'll just say this now, like there is no footage of Tom Kite and Sebby by Steros.
Speaker 4: On top chipping in on top.
Speaker 3: Of each other on eight. It just doesn't exist.
Speaker 2: They're like, we just heard word the top Titan semi five snus both eagles eight's like Sebby.
Speaker 6: Takes the lead in the Masters with a chip in and we don't have footage of it that ibout it has changed.
Speaker 4: My favorite thing is that twenty twenty two to fifteen of this video, Sebby appears on a leaderboard saying he's five under at twenty four forty four that's two minutes. It says he's leading it eight under. He went from five to eight in two minutes on the YouTube video. And I think McCord, I think it's McCord that had that eighth is am I Ron there it sounds like him, he said with the best. Not a lots happened here. Sevy hold the wedge from twenty five yards and Kite hold one from one hundred yards. Not much going on here, that's all. And nobody saw it. First time we see Jack is at the ninth Green, just putting without commentary. Musburg goes, let's go to ninth Green. Jack rolls in a putt, and no one says anything, and then they just go to like Ben Wright talking about someone hitting at Norman hitting on seven. Nobody says that that's the first time you ever see Jack is just that putting it, rolling in a putt at nine. First actual t shot is twelve. His first approach shot is thirteen, which, by the way, is the first time you ever see thirteen. For the whole day, it's Jack hitting out thirteen. Ben Torre's like, all right, let's go to thirteen. This is the first time you've seen this. Today. It's like the greatest par five in the world. It's incredible, different, different world. This is not a critique of what they were doing forty years ago. It's years ago.
Speaker 5: While we're here.
Speaker 2: I have to say there are some things that would drive the modern golf viewer insane. But there are also some facets to this telecast that I loved, and I'm like, how did I knew it? Like they're like, you watched this thing, and you in a way, like my general takeaway is like, has have golf telecasts gotten worse?
Speaker 4: I think that you being overly romantic about this broadcast and I understand what was better and what appealed to you as being better than current, But it was probably great for its time. People lose their mind if this is what they dropped in or left today.
Speaker 2: I think, like the general things, there was more more a little bit more storytelling than the modern telecast.
Speaker 5: There was more time given to actions, which.
Speaker 2: You know, I don't know if we want to get to like my favorite moment of the telecast of the whole thing. But one of the things that I loved was the intro, the table setting of each hole, the back line where they go to the guy. You know, they run through everybody on their hole because at that time they had a different person for every single hole on.
Speaker 4: The back line. The details there, Bob Murphy, Yeah you want the names or not? Yeah, Bob Murphy, it's great.
Speaker 2: This is what they used to do so, but they go through, and they go through, this is where the whole location is. Yeah, this is how the holes played this week, you know, scoring average like and this is what to expect today.
Speaker 5: And it introduces each of these voices if you go through the voices.
Speaker 2: But it was such a wonderful way to to interject the course into and give viewers like a hey, this is what's coming up.
Speaker 5: And they did it in like three minutes time.
Speaker 4: Yeah. They opened Bob Murphy on ten, Steve Melnick, you know, the r en Amateur on ten, eleven and twelve, Ken Ventury as we mentioned on thirteen, four hundred and sixty five yard thirteenth Pole in nineteen eighty six, Gary McCord fourteen, Ben Wright fifteen, who became sort of the star of the show. Nance sixteen, Vern seventeen. They just go one. This is Nance's first ever Masters.
Speaker 3: At sixteen six years old. So I think that may be right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think that's right. Yeah, Vern seventeen, as we know, Pat summerl and eighteen with Ventury kind of coming back and providing more of the golf commentary. It's kind of cool. They go from one to the next and they talk about their whole. They do not do that. It's much more consolidated with fewer voices now.
Speaker 6: Kind of it's fun, Like I kept thinking about that, like that, would the Masters be better without like Nance and Trevor, like being the overarching or Nens and Faldo, like if eg hole had its own individual voice. I don't know, Like I like Dance obviously like Trevor, but it is kind of fun that they had, Like the character of.
Speaker 3: The whole comes through without each announcer.
Speaker 2: I loved Ben Wright though he's the a couple so much.
Speaker 3: Ben Wright exchanges that I'd like to read in my best Ben, Well, we'll.
Speaker 4: Get that, so Musburger and Weiscoffer in the cabin. But you're right, there is no like predominant voice. They set up a few things, they come in out of break, but they're not like the they're not the conductor in the way there that it is now and it's just sort of like, all right, the action's all on fifteen for this forty five minutes. It's just basically Ben Wright's broadcast, you know, with with occasionally sprinkle an a and go back to Venturi at thirteen, and you'll like occasionally go back to the cabin for Musburger and that's it the opening. I guess we can go linear here what we talked about Jack, I just want to mention, like Norman, there's a real this was what I forgot, Okay, I was young. There's like a Rory twenty five element to his round. I'm not saying it's synonymous to like, oh my god, this is the greatest stretch of golf I've ever seen before, birdies in a row with fourteen fifteen, sixteen seventeen. There is like, this guy is this This guy is brutal, like he's thrown it away, like just the roller coaster of tension. There was a little bit of that that we saw last year. I I when he made the double at ten, I was like, oh, he's off the broadcast right Like when he made I was like, that's it. And I know he literally has a putt for the playoff down to the wire, makeuple putt. It's crazy. The roller coaster. There was a Rory element. Would you agree with that, Andy, or you know, obviously different outcomes and stuff.
Speaker 2: This kind of goes to a bigger, bigger thing for me, a bigger theme of the telecast there's absolutely like the Seesaw. I just love the variability of the sport of golf in this era. I think I watching this, I saw some of like the greatest shots that I've seen on holes in a while, Like you know this, I think this like ties to like it made me kind of hate like that everybody's figured out this like modern strategy of aiming away from flags because like on eleven, you can't tell me that tom Kite did not just take full like right at the stick and it was like I want when it landed, I was like, oh my god, Like.
Speaker 5: That's one of the best shots I've ever seen on eleven.
Speaker 6: The two shots that tom Kite hits, like into eleven and into eighteen are as good as any shot that you will see like in the Masters any year.
Speaker 3: I mean, they are just ballsy at the pin shots.
Speaker 2: And the shot on eleven, I was like, God, I haven't seen a ball just flagged to that back left pin in so long.
Speaker 5: It feels like just so long.
Speaker 2: Everybody just dumps it right and it's like, oh my god, this guy just flagged it. But then the variability aspect of this and I think a lot of it, Like I don't want to be, you know, bagging out equipment, but I think so much of this is equipment. Some of the worst shots I've ever seen, like ever seen. I had a list many, like seventy shot into fifteen which ruined his chance to win, was horrendous. Corey Pavin into sixteen was just awful and.
Speaker 5: The guy could have won.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Norman in eighteen.
Speaker 5: Norman into eighteen.
Speaker 2: There, but like there's like a reason for that, is like Corey Paven or I mean not Corey Pavin. Tom Kite on ten was hitting a four iron.
Speaker 4: I think I wrote that it was a four iron.
Speaker 5: Four iron into ten.
Speaker 2: Yeah, these guys are hitting six irons into six, Like it's just like a completely different Like they're talking about sixteen being a mid iron.
Speaker 5: I think got twelve they said it was a mid iron.
Speaker 4: Yeah I had that, Yeah, And it's just a.
Speaker 5: Completely different sport.
Speaker 2: But there was so much more variability. The shots in the moments still great, like so many great shots, Like I couldn't believe how many great shots that were into fifteen, like over and over and over.
Speaker 5: Again in this telecast.
Speaker 2: But then you also get these like god awful shots which made the product like just the golf way more interesting. And I feel like anybody who's anti rollback, anti the sport for the professionals being challenging, should watch this telecast and be like, wait, I could watch Greg Norman just snaff hooked two shots in a row on the tenth hole, like into the trees, and he could be leading the tournament. Like it kind of goes to the Norman thing, like that Norman round had some of the most miraculous shots I've ever seen, like the seventeenth and some of the worst shots I've ever seen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's I think too.
Speaker 6: You you just see like what an incredible like athlete Greig Norman was. To see the sounds of the ball coming off of his driver is awesome. It's so cool to see him just like take those big high hands and just absolutely you know, every shot sounds so pure because they had to freaking hit it pure then or it was gonna be a like an ugly little you know, smother hook.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he's a unit too. That was like I'm just like, well, I was like, physically imposing.
Speaker 4: The sound is something I made know of that earlier. I think it was Nick Price or Nicky Price who's playing in the final group with he had a three wood on seven and it made just this like erotic sound. It was like incredible, and you just get a lot more of that throughout the broadcast. All right, yeah, we just had to call out Norman. I just did not remember the details of just how roller if it's not Nicholas, and it's not Nicholas six jackets at forty six. Very few things were not going to make Norman story a story one the way it ended, the way the Sunday went, like absolutely in a modern era he would have been the biggest story coming out of that. It's just you had the greatest master champion when he was presumed over the hill. Like in a lot of ways, Norman was sort of The Sunday and that eighteenth Pole are sort of I don't know, carpeted, blanketed over thanks to Jack, thanks to the being reduced to yes, sir, and Jack's charge because this was a pretty incomprehensible round from Norman. All right, let's go ahead, keV, you're gonna jump in there.
Speaker 6: I'll just say it's like like Greg Norman's entire career in miniature, like you start with.
Speaker 3: The lead, you throw it away.
Speaker 6: You have the most unbelievable run you could ever imagine, like four birdies in a row, and then you hit a great drive on eighteen and then you completely hit it so far into the crowd that I've never seen a ball like up there in the sense, and you have a putt still to die and you miss it like that's Greg Norman. It's just like the the agony and ecstasy of all of it real quick.
Speaker 2: We'd be remiss to not point out Norman had a threewood off the tee.
Speaker 4: Did he did?
Speaker 5: Did you write down what club he was hitting in?
Speaker 2: The longest player in the sport at this time, maybe not the longest, but one of the longest players in the sport at this time. On the eighteenth hole, Augusta hit a perfect t shot with what he wanted to do the three wood. Obviously that laid him back a little bit, but he is hitting a four iron into the green, and obviously when you're hitting a four iron, shit can go wrong.
Speaker 5: Rory had like one hundred yards in last year.
Speaker 6: It just it's fun to watch the flight. You can't see it all that great of like the drives whatever, but it's like, you know, a low like cut that the that was like part of how the ball was launched back in the day, right, Like you didn't just freaking sky it into the air and let it carry three fifteen twenty, like you had to hit it two fifty and then get thirty yards of roll out of it.
Speaker 3: And that was just like kind of a it's fun to see that when you look back at it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, a four iron it is. We'll get to it. It's not the biggest house on the Van Develt block, but it certainly has a home on the Van Develt block and belongs there.
Speaker 2: I don't know if it I took more offense to this putt than I took to the four iron bought.
Speaker 4: That's you know, six inches on the high side. Yeah, not great.
Speaker 5: But you can't like takeaway was he doing a four iron?
Speaker 4: Yeah, you can't hit it on the ted t. You can't like all you got just bum one up to the front of the green.
Speaker 2: It wasn't that far the camera and like where the camera was looking in the in the patron gallery was was the issue.
Speaker 5: It made it look way worse than it was.
Speaker 2: Any Any pro could hit a four if I dropped the pro two hundred yards going up that hill, which would be a foe iron.
Speaker 5: There'd be a bucket of balls over there on the right.
Speaker 6: Okay, now granted it hits the people, so it would have rolled another twenty five yards right of that.
Speaker 4: What ends up fifteen minutes. They were hot and deep where he hit. It took fifteen minutes to move. All these people of an advanced age are kind of shuffle in their feet. It takes forever to clear out the space.
Speaker 2: On the I'm just say it's in the realm of possibilities if you're hitting a four iron into the green.
Speaker 4: Sure, I understand that said.
Speaker 6: I don't know if you guys did any of your homework and getting some of the assets here, but I think we have some some visual aids here to help us tell some of the story.
Speaker 4: Okay, I took screenshots and didn't sound the on the pj's what I did. Well, then just operation Kevin.
Speaker 6: You can still send a people. I just want to start out page. Hopefully you can load some of my first ones.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 6: I would really would like to bring back the era of where adult men could wear glasses and still be sort of cool.
Speaker 3: I would just like to take you through this. This is Tom Kite.
Speaker 5: Earlier wearing glasses, right.
Speaker 6: I know this is well, this is why we need to make sure that glasses are cool again. My father wore a pair of glasses that are just like Verne lundquists in this. We can go to the next frame. Here we have Ken Green here. These are these are all from this era of this tournament. Next we have Bob Murphy here, just an incredible transition lenses.
Speaker 3: And then Vern here is great, and then uh.
Speaker 6: Tommy Nakajima here is to finish the clothes these are. It's an incredible era for just like you know, if you didn't have contact. I mean, a running theme throughout this entire thing is that Jack can't see You're gonna have such terrible vision that he can't know where the ball is. And obviously Jack was probably too vain to wear glasses like this, but I want to just, you know, give a shout out to Tom Kite. Didn't want any part of that. He wanted to be able to see the ball where it was. I whatevery. I don't know if you fell about it this way, but when I tried to golf in glasses, it completely makes me like crazy. I just see the frame out of the corner of my eye, and I cannot make contact with ball and he's which to me is tough.
Speaker 5: The one time I've been forced to play.
Speaker 2: So I got I had an eye infection in my mid twenties and I got diagnosed with it basically like two days before a golf tournament that I was playing in, and it was my first round in glasses, and since like I was a kid, and it was funny. I actually remember I played with. I was playing with Roger Steele. This was pre This was pre both of our our forays into golf.
Speaker 3: Pre influencers. That's the influence origin story.
Speaker 2: There were a couple of things going on with me that day as I was trying to figure out where I struggled with the golf was was like thirty to fifty yards. I had no depth perception with the glass glasses. But anyways, you know, you know anybody that seen rogerhood golf ball in the third hole, I was like, what the fuck? I just how did this drive of this guy's one hundred yards past me? But anyways, I ended up shooting going out in forty four. I was struggled. I struggled with the glasses. I came home in thirty two, which which qualified me luckily, thankfully, But the h the glasses were real problem.
Speaker 4: Well, it was in.
Speaker 5: I think if you played it with them all the time, you get used to it.
Speaker 4: Though for sure Tom Kite never went away from it as far as I know, right, I mean, did you play Champs Tour with with glasses?
Speaker 3: Maybe?
Speaker 5: Well about the top tight a set?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 2: I had a question for you, guys, what do you think Tom Kite and Sevy talked about all day?
Speaker 4: It's a little different dynamic. Well, I there's a lot of that going on out there. Watson was with is with Nakajima. Do I have that right? I mean, that's an odd pairing. Kite and Sevvy seemed like from two different cloths, for sure.
Speaker 2: They seem like the two most polar opposite, polar opposite personalities in this tournament.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, glasses were big. Visors were big. Everybody's wearing a visor.
Speaker 3: A lot of hats, have a lot of hats.
Speaker 6: Did you notice that Langer takes the visor off and on at various points in the day like some like a true actually using the visor for some purposes as opposed to like an activation. Sometimes he's wearing the visor, sometimes he's not.
Speaker 4: That's pretty good.
Speaker 2: I mean with the Tommy Fleetwood Blackstone hat, I think it's just time to cancel uh hat sponsorships on tour.
Speaker 4: Just get rid of it. Yeah, be so much better.
Speaker 2: Well, roll up an email say this should be part of this is how you grow the audience.
Speaker 6: So I have one image that kind of ties together a lot of these things we're talking about page if you can bring next on up. This is of Jay Haas and this is kind of emblematic of the kind of shoulder turns that they took back then and the way that swings were. Like he is completely up on his uh you know, weight into the inside of his right foot, but toe is like all that's touching the ground and the visor here, and the the kind of aqua I guess what would be the description of those pants, like kind of teal pants.
Speaker 3: Yeah, blue, tealish blue.
Speaker 6: But this is like, you know, Jay Hawston's up finishing fifth or something.
Speaker 3: This is how guys swung the club back in the day.
Speaker 6: You can see it a lot with Nicholas, just like the big leg drive, none of that sort of stable kind of beautiful. You know what we think of like Rory Adams Scott justin Rose's motion and I.
Speaker 3: Just honestly it looks awesome.
Speaker 6: The aesthetic of like watching guys have to kind of really like get their weight back and then wail into the ball is is freaking cool to see.
Speaker 2: I mean with this, it was also it seemed like a toasty day in Augusta and the fabrics, the fabrics, yes.
Speaker 5: Up for a toasty day. I had a question for p J. P J, did you watch this?
Speaker 7: I watched parts of it, but once we just decided that you three were going ahead, I did not commit all three hours.
Speaker 2: I had a question for you, as you know, was it was Jay Hass a problem?
Speaker 7: I mean, Jay Haas might have been a problem when when we when we discussed potential twenty tens problems, there were people that submitted Bill has As a problem. But I said he was too good to be a problem. As a former number one player in the world, Jay Haas, I'd give you though.
Speaker 4: I mean Jay was everybody career of Bill. I mean, he'll never.
Speaker 3: Finished like Bill was ever contending in the Masters.
Speaker 5: I'm just saying.
Speaker 4: It was a listed player.
Speaker 7: Jay has FedEx cups.
Speaker 4: The film wasn't yeah, oh god, that's good.
Speaker 5: But I wrote that down just for PJ. I wanted to ask Jaws a problem.
Speaker 6: One point go ahead. I was just say, at one point Jay like this, we were talking about miss shots whatever. At one point, Jay like hits it into sixteen like it's an unbelievable shot in sixteen to four feet, and we never get to see him miss the putt like he likes a shot to essentially like try the lead at the time, and it just later we come back and yeah.
Speaker 3: And Nance's like, you know, wow, we're wait.
Speaker 6: I was Ben Crenshaw made his putt Portunately, Jay Haas missed his.
Speaker 2: You know what I think they didn't have the capability of was to tape a shot and show it later later, yeah, because did you notice it was I think it was Norman was playing and they had to like hammer cut to Jack putting out on eighteen and he barely got there. He was like taking the like as soon as he got there, he's seeing the pudding out to win the Masters.
Speaker 6: Well, it's always like they're talking the announcers, they're talking to each other about the end the camera at the same time because you.
Speaker 3: Hear a lot where Vert's like quickly now to fourteen.
Speaker 4: Like, oh yeah, it's there's some some sort of rudimentary like broadcasts. It's rough. It was forty years ago. It's incredible, incredible stuff. Let's start uh linearly a little bit. The broadcast opens, Musburger leads us in. It's Musburger and Weisskopf Show for the first like ten to fifteen minutes. In the cabin, I thought wes Coff was great. I thought he was pretty crop well. That was where I had. It's like helicopter going down Jakie helicopter footage going down Magolia Lane. I'm getting Vertico. I need drama, mean, and there's just like bouncing down. It was probably like mind blowing at the time that they had this aerial footage. But uh he refers to it as the Augusta National Home of the Masters. It's Golf's greatest stage, as it was called. I mean, this is eighty six, I don't know, masters pretty firmly entrenched. But he said a tradition unlike any other. So we have that tagline already getting used, and said the Green Jacket the most prestigious prize in all of golf, which I don't know. Was that the case in eighty six already I guess, so I guess. I mean, I'm not saying it was like you know, yesterday, but the US Open was prominent. It was already by CBS standards, most prestigious prize and all of golf. Everything is just much more minimalist. There are like twelve umbrella tables. You know they do the overhead footage. Now there's probably you know, thirty plus or something like that. So we lead into that. Weiscoff was good in the cab and he's like, you know, they've got I like how they go through the history of winners. They've got Jimmy de Merritt looking like a news newsy, like in a newsboy cap. They've got you know, Arnold and everybody white T shirt. It's just like a great montage of all the all the former winners. Then you have Weiscoff talking about this is an incredible course. No rough here, but you need strategy off the tee. So it's unlike all the other majors because you're used to just rough apparently, you know, this is the mid eighties of the US Open. You're used to rough at the PGA. This is unlike the other majors. No, rough the great thing. You know, early on we get Nick Price's left of six talks about the great thing about Augusta as you can do three things from off of every green just about as he's gonna bump and run and he's gonna put it, he's gonna go up in the air. So Wiscoff I thought was pretty good throughout the broadcast. And of course has that great history with Jack being from Ohio, Ohio state kid, and you know snake bitten a little bit by Jack certainly over the years in the shadow. So anything else from early on, Kevin we talked about the missed eagles. You know, we don't see Jack until the ninth we do. The earliest Hollday show is the fifth I believe they show highlights from earlier holes, but we pick up the leaders on the fifth green. And Gary player for reasons that aren't entirely clear, is in the cabin with some early commentary before he abruptly has to catch his playing. Is just on camera, like roughly taking his mic off his lapel, like.
Speaker 3: I actually have a picture of this.
Speaker 6: Gary looks like he's on a late night talk show here, like he's like talking to Johnny Carson at this point, Well, you know, Johnny, this is where they ask him, you know, Gary, what do you how do you feel about all these foreigners playing?
Speaker 1: Gary?
Speaker 3: Do you like seeing all these foreigners playing so well? And he says, you know, Bobby Jones always said is a worldly game. I you know, I'm a foreigner myself.
Speaker 6: It was a this theme will kind of run throughout the show of like foreigners slash invaders. Yeah, if you know, somehow it's an upfront to the masters that these foreigners are winning. You know, Stevey's already won twice at this point, the idea that like this is true of like, if you read like the classic Golf Digest story that Dan Jenkins wrote, this is the first year that Dan Jenkins was not writing for Sports Illustrated. You had gone to Golf Digest. Rick Riley is now writing for Sports Illustrated, and the lead to Jenkins's story is Jack. No one's killed more foreigners than Jack Nicholas except maybe Dwight D.
Speaker 3: Eisenhower.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, one of the.
Speaker 6: Great like holy shit Jenkins lines of all time. So that air was out there at this time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, foreigners than Donald Trump, Like what if we wrote that the start of a newsletter like in twenty six.
Speaker 6: I'll just write there for the newsletter this year and see if anyone notices that it's a tribute, or see if we get canceled.
Speaker 4: So the first time foreigner comes up and this was just the lexicon was priced on the fifth green, and Player goes, I don't believe in the word. We're all just golferst is what he said. I don't believe in the word. And then someone again, I think Weiskoff or Musburger, asked him about the foreigners, and he says it just makes his blood boil as much Player when they referred that, like makes my blood boil, and Musburgers later like it's kind of us against the world when he starts talking about jacketing the mix because you have you know, Lanner and Price and Norman and Nakajima. It's just this foreigner is the worst.
Speaker 6: And this is I have a graphic of this speech if you go to my next photo here, like this is the graphic that they throw up on the screen for and more like as if like it's an alert for Americans, like you know, how how we need to fix the Masters here. In some ways, that is part of what plays into the like love that people have of this eighty six Masters is that it was like Nicholas was defending our turf as Americans against this foreign invasion, and it just percolates throughout all the coverage of it.
Speaker 2: For audio listeners, the graphics has foreign born players have won four of the last eight titles.
Speaker 6: And this is a Norman putting at this moment as if he might be the next one.
Speaker 3: You know what, low key, I love this old Master's logo that you don't see anymore. It's like a great scripting.
Speaker 6: I would absolutely buy a T shirt that had that as the logo on on the front.
Speaker 4: Oh.
Speaker 2: Sure, they'll be working on the cook of that up for twenty twenty seven for you.
Speaker 5: Maybe it's in there in twenty twenty six.
Speaker 2: One thing that impressed me Sam Sneed swing at seventy five when they go they.
Speaker 5: Show the champ God he moved it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, honorary starter.
Speaker 6: Yeah this is Brennan knows this because I've joked about them with a bunch of times. But later Sneed just drills a fan in the face during the ceremonial t shot in later years and it's the last year that Sneed is ever allowed to do this shot. He broke somebody's glasses and the chairman, I forget it is the time I have to look this up. This is like a New York Times story, I think, and like drills a guy in the face and the chairman goes, oh my.
Speaker 4: The quote.
Speaker 2: Also, and I think it was Gary Player, said sev He described Savvy as the golfer everyone feared.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yes, yeah, great quote there.
Speaker 6: He said he's got he's got strength in the finesse of a locksmith.
Speaker 4: A locksmith, locksmith, And then they asked him what does that mean, Tom, what does what locksmith mean? And weis Coffe I don't think was the one who said it at first, like oh, well, he's got good hands, good touch. He was known as like the power players, like the raw power is what they kept saying. And when Gary Player is leaving and ripping the microphone off his lapel, they ask him, like, who's gonna win, and he's like, if it's the best player, who will win, it's definitely by Asteros, because he is for sure the best player in the world. And that's what just the sort of the rough nature of like you know how everything's so polished now going to the cabin and there's Gary Player like ripping his microphone off and having to be bothered to still talk and then like whole lean it up, like it's an influencer. Mike, like what you go? I want to me keep talking. It's just all on camera. It's kind of incredible, but he exits the stage.
Speaker 2: I think this would be uh like it would lead Sports Center, this story going into Sunday the Masters, and it's just a footnote. The one guy in like the final four groups that's a complete no name, Donnie Hammond.
Speaker 5: He's in contention. He pukes all over himself on Sunday. Let's be fair.
Speaker 2: He just just first they show him he's hitting a miserable shot.
Speaker 5: Donnie Hammond, he's in contention.
Speaker 2: I think he was in the second or third to last, third to last group of the Masters, and as a kid, he was the gallery guard at the Masters growing up.
Speaker 5: It was his first Masters they ever played in.
Speaker 2: Like this is like the one of the most incredible stories and it's just like a footnote of the broadcast and I'd never heard of it.
Speaker 3: This would be like a seven to eight minute.
Speaker 6: Like Jeff Darlington, Tom Ranald the essay that the Masters put on where this everybody would be sharing it on social Oh my god, a gallery guard is playing in the Masters.
Speaker 3: Not only playing is the contending.
Speaker 5: Group on Sundays.
Speaker 4: He was in the second to last group with the defending champ, Bernhard Loner with the second defending champ, number one player in the world, in the second to last group. It was his first Masters. He was a gallery guard as a kid. I think he still holds the record for low round for a rookie. In the third round she got sixty seven on Saturday. It was easy on Saturday relatively, and then Sunday easy ish with no win. I thought it was a little soft. Not to be. It seems soft with the way the balls were landing on twelve thirteen, not a lot of around fifteen, honest to god, with about an hour of fifty. It felt like we saw the Rory shot of fifteen like five times over from different guys, just dropping balls within makeable distance. Notating there, but it just is. It's a little softish, no wind, and so Saturday we'll talk about Nick Price in a minute.
Speaker 6: But uh yeah, I think people remember, I've had to know that Ben Crenshaw hit a three wood and it stopped on the green from two forty. Like, can you imagine trying to stop at three wood on the current fifteen green at Augusta.
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 6: I think you would probably have to hit it so low into the face, like a ten feet from the water, that it's somehow kicked up and got just completely lucky. I don't think there's any scenario which you could take a hundred balls and not stop a threewood on the green.
Speaker 4: It's amazing how much the ball was stopping.
Speaker 2: On I found it was interesting though, like shots into nine, the ball just reacted a lot differently, like sometimes they bounce forward.
Speaker 5: Yeah. I think it's.
Speaker 2: Because of just like the angle that some shot, like the uphill shots in particular, to be like really released.
Speaker 5: And it's just because these guys were just not hitting just wedges.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's it's it's just crazy the way to watch something and be like wow, like well, I'm just used to I know how the ball's going to react when these guys hit it, and when the modern players hit it, when it hit the green. Yeah, with these guys, it seemed like it was kind of like guesswork how the ball was going to react when it hit the green.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so go ahead.
Speaker 6: Just my memory of the Masters as a young person is just balls like sucking back. Like all the time, guys would hit it long of greens. You know, they're they're hitting it ten yards past the green knowing there's no rough back there and it's just gonna zip back. Like Greg Norman was like an incredible, like high spin player, and with those lot of balls, it just made it like kind of cool and interesting because like you never knew what the ball was going to do until it was stopped.
Speaker 3: It was going to react in cool ways.
Speaker 2: I think there you know, and this was said early in the telecast. It got my attention. It made me research further.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 2: We talked about the variability how these guys hit, I mean just amazing shots but also awful shots. Nick Price's tournament, he's he's kind of like a supporting character and this never really a lead in it. Never never once where you like Nick Price is gonna win. Obviously you got to number one in the world in his career, but he made he birdied ten of the last fifteen holes on Saturday ten of the last fifteen holes.
Speaker 4: I was like, what flipped out on eighteen too?
Speaker 6: He opens with a seventy nine and in the same tournament shoots a sixty three that still holds up as the course record.
Speaker 5: And this was the year after Curtis Strange opened with.
Speaker 2: An eighty eight and was leading on the sixty fourth whole tea.
Speaker 5: The tenth te he was leading by what was it three or four?
Speaker 4: He walked across from nine grain to ten. Yeah, like up three.
Speaker 2: So this idea of variability was so much greater in the sport at this time. You can shoot seventy nine or eighty in the Masters and not your urnam's out.
Speaker 5: Over two years in a row, you.
Speaker 2: Have a guy playing in the final group that shot seventy nine or eighty on Thursday. To me is like it kind of just exemplifies like where what happened to the sport?
Speaker 4: Ten birdies lips out on eleven, lips out for eleven on eighteen sixty three is still the course record, and the Masters with Norman's opening round in ninety six still the course right. The only two now like a bunch of sixty threes. It was price in eighty six. Norman in ninety six, incredible stuff he puts out on eighteen. I thought this was great for Price Summer all who's just got the low slow cadence and he's in the tire Nick Price, who shot sixty three yesterday, but this is today, and he like puts out he's just in the way of Norman. He's like, that's but this is today, and it's just like get out away.
Speaker 6: I think this might have been like a CBS way of talking, because Nance does it later too. I think I figured out Nance's cadence, particularly in this era. Is there are no commas in Nance's sentence. It's a lot of short sentences with the pauses in between and I'll I'll do one later, like as he sets up the shot in sixteen.
Speaker 3: But it's kind of a really cool way of talking.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's it's pretty it's a pretty good tone in cadence. Let's start going like kind of in order. You know, the first leader board we see there's no no mention of Jack, Like, there's no mention of Jack. There's two pages, there's nothing. It's all the stars we've talked about. There's occasional Donnie Hammond and there's a Jay Haas, but there's just no mention. Norman starts with sole possessional lead, gets it back with a birdie at six. He's saving pars out of his butt at you know, one and two and four incredible, like kind of a sign of things to come, with a complete airmail job. On four, you know, he's scrambling but has sole possession of lead.
Speaker 3: At six.
Speaker 4: There's just not a lot of Jack involved at all. There was really the only time he comes up is ironically, they go to Watson, Tom Watson and they interview him before the round. He comes up. He's like, you need the experience and I don't know if this was a shot at Norman shot at Price some of the young foreign intruders or whatever they want to call him. He said, you need the experience, Sevy Lotter, myself and Jack. He throws out Jack, who like was not considered a serious professional golfer at the time, but Watson threw him out and Jack people like that, you need the experience when you're under the gun coming down at the end of the Masters, And that's really like the first you hear about Nicholas is Watson threw him out there the broadcasters aren't talking about him. They are talking, Oh, there's Jackie's four back, but it's not mentioned Jet.
Speaker 2: There's forty five minutes into the three hours. Uh, they still had yet to show a Nicholas full swing. Scrict, I've only seen putts, and the first full swing we got is on the twelfth hole.
Speaker 6: I have thirty eight minutes in the broadcast is when he makes the birdie on ten, where they're finally like, well, we won't count him out yet.
Speaker 3: It's on this back nine. The bear is stalking.
Speaker 4: That was Bob Murphy. He goes in the bear, the bear's stalking. He says, come on, jack smile. He tells him to smile. Bob is in like a fifty footer on ten, and he goes, we won't come him out of this back nine. And that's yeah, forty minutes in. So we'll start there, or we're far from starting, but we'll start in the kind of go through the back nine. Andy, what were we gonna say, jump in you want to see?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I was just gonna keep going.
Speaker 2: Obviously he buggies twelve, but we don't get to see the thirteenth tea shot and and like I looked to where he was, and it's like, how did how.
Speaker 5: Did he get there? I want to see that t shot because he's like.
Speaker 2: Literally two yards from the creek on a dead flat line, Like I don't I don't think you can get there anymore. I don't think it's possible for a modern player to get to that position because you have to look at so much and now there are trees that overhang if you get that far left.
Speaker 4: One of the best things is he obviously rolls in the putt on nine to ten, and we see it eleven and we see those putts and he's walking to the twelfth tee. Like when he makes that ten, that's like a fifty foot that's the loudest word you hear in the broadcast to that point. You hear it down on fifteen when they're showing Crenshaw and somebody else they forget down on maybe has on fifteen so loud. But again, these are just like hard cuts to putts all of a sudden going in. Then they get to him. We finally makes one to eleven and he's walking off up that famous walk to the twelfth tee and Melneck I think is on the call. He goes it's Jack Nicholas, the Man of the Hour, and they haven't shown him at all. He's the man of the hour, Man the Hour. They've showed two three putts, the man of the Hour. It's been eleven years since he's done that fifth Green Jacket. Is that they haven't showed him. They don't. They said, that's it. They shows Bogie at twelve and then all of a sudden, he's hitting in thirteenth Fairway. It's a man of the hour and they haven't shown him. He made the turn four back. He made the turn. So it wasn't like it's as as things often are with the gusta. It moves, it happens real fast. It's moves slow. It's moving slow and then fast all of a sudden, right, and and that's where it felt like, all of a sudden, he was the Man of the Hour on the eleventh tee or the twelfth t and we've barely seen it and now it's like this all it's the greatest show ever within from you know, essentially twelve to seventeen, Hija.
Speaker 9: Can I interject some some literal breaking news into this podcast? Oh gosh, yeah, sure, Phil Michelson will not play the Masters what due to UH will be out for an extended period of time as my my family continues to navigate a personal.
Speaker 4: Health Matter's too bad? All right, well, I can't.
Speaker 3: Brendan can't write Phil this.
Speaker 4: I was going to say, DP, you're all find a way. Maybe we could still find a way. It's all right where we're.
Speaker 2: The bastards the first Masters without Phil and Tiger and.
Speaker 3: God thirty years.
Speaker 4: I was just say so Phil didn't play in twenty two because of that the ship Neck book it just came out. Did Tiger miss that? I think Tiger might have missed that because of the rash. Yeah, I think that's yeah, maybe right, that's wrong, Okay, anyway, could be wrong?
Speaker 5: All right?
Speaker 3: Can I read?
Speaker 6: I forgot when we were talking to invaders. I wanted to read this whole sequence. Uh that Ben Wright is the first person, Ben Right, who's English or maybe Scottish, I don't know, apologies if he's Scottish or whatever. But he says when that graphic was up there, he says, there you see how these invaders have been truded in the last eight years.
Speaker 3: And Wiskoff says, Ben, are you an invader? Says, yeah, you could say that, yeah, we like you, we like you.
Speaker 8: Ben Wescott's way of basically like kind of not giving a ship but kind of also like giving really insightful things is well, who knows, I mean, elf, I knew how he thought I would have won this tournament.
Speaker 3: Like this is a great delivery.
Speaker 4: That's pretty good. Where should we go tonight? All right, we've talked about he's playing with Lyle who's the Open champ? Go ahead.
Speaker 5: I think we're.
Speaker 2: Generally in the in the sphere of this happening, and to me, this is the standout moment outside of the wind and it it hits the theme you're talking about where this telecast like you just don't see anything.
Speaker 5: All of a sudden, out.
Speaker 2: Of nowhere, Corey Pavin comes into our lives and he's described as red hot Corey Pavin. Red hot Corey Paven is on the sixteenth t. He's six under. He can win, so he's three back.
Speaker 4: He eagles fifteen. They showed the putt where eagle. I think they showed that right, the eagle in fifteen eagle.
Speaker 2: Still this he disappears and while he's on the tee they're talking about, oh, he's really struggled with sixteen this week.
Speaker 5: He's made a double in two bogies.
Speaker 2: He's four over on sixteen through three days.
Speaker 4: That's hard to do. I mean, come on, I.
Speaker 5: Mean it's one hundred and sixty yard part three.
Speaker 4: I will note while we're on this, Norman still holds the record. He's six under for the week on par threes, which is still the record, which is that's pretty stout for the part threes August, Yeah, which is six under, still the record. But but Corey Pavin was not based on sixteen alone.
Speaker 2: Go ahead, So so peven you know, you think about it, he's if he just plays it.
Speaker 5: Even you know, this sounded unreasonable. This is one of the easier holes on the golf.
Speaker 10: So even he's at ten under and he gets on this t on the tee and he is maybe the worst, one of the worst shots I've seen on sixteen, like lands in the middle of the lake is and what amazed me.
Speaker 2: So I think he made another double there if I had to guess. So he goes to six over on sixteen for the week. Yeah, and this is a top ten player in the world, and he sits down and the camera just state I loved the shot of like the hole the shot, but then also the camera on the guy's face for part three pretty great. Yeah, the picture they hang with him, they sit down on this, betch.
Speaker 6: The picture of picture is kind of incredible, Like, I don't know that we've actually advanced technology enough to where the picture of picture wouldn't be an incredible like thing to bring back and.
Speaker 5: Look at this.
Speaker 2: He's got his head down on a bench, there's a ball washer.
Speaker 5: And his hands are buried and they just hang on this all the way through forty seconds.
Speaker 2: But you know what, like, what do you think about it? If you're the what does he unight in the world at the time?
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you just.
Speaker 5: Know that you're about to play this this whole six.
Speaker 4: For the week.
Speaker 5: I think this would be your reaction.
Speaker 4: I mean, Andy, the shot lands in the middle of the pond, I mean we're not talking. It hits the bank, it comes back.
Speaker 3: Just get at it long.
Speaker 7: If you look very closely here on the YouTube, you can see the ripples from where the ball lands. It's in the middle of nowhere.
Speaker 5: I mean it came up twenty yards short.
Speaker 6: What I love about the camera work here is that, yes, it's forty seconds but like they hang on him even as they're going to commercial break and they pull up the full leaderboard.
Speaker 3: I wish I had a screenshot of this, and they.
Speaker 6: Keep the picture in picture them above the little leaderboard, so you can see him suffer for just a little bit longer until the commercial.
Speaker 4: Fifty three seconds he and Mark the Cumber make eagles on fifteen, and then all of a sudden they're in the broadcast.
Speaker 2: This is the issue with the with the the constant show more shots, show more shots, show more shots, show more shots, Like I want less pre shot and more post shot because.
Speaker 3: I get this on a live broadcast. Andy, So what you're saying.
Speaker 2: This is like the the thing yeah that like you miss like this is competition. This is tournament golf in a nutshell. This is this guy who knows that he's played this whole like a twenty five handicap this week, and that's why he's not gonna win the Masters.
Speaker 4: He's I think it was one shot out of the lead at the after the eagle, right he and McCumber. Good stuff, good stuff.
Speaker 3: Another can we tell one more element?
Speaker 6: You brought it up here, Brendan the because I have a pick of this the interviewing players before the round to talk about the round to come is kind of a cool thing. Like you mentioned the Watson one they did it, and Greg Norman one here I have a picture of Like what a handsome motherfucker he was back like this, absolutely like vibing and just like in such a good mood, like, hey, you know like some masters that you know, this this tournament hadn't really made him suffer that much yet. You know, he'd finished fourth once previously but wasn't really in contention, but this is the first time it will really hurt. And I just I kind of love getting the early insight before they go tee off, Like how how much would you have liked to see Like I think maybe did Bryson do one of these? You know, Rory obviously did not interdeing interview before the round or whatever. But it's like you get a little bit of like an insight into how the golfers are thinking and feeling before they go out and can't talk for five hours.
Speaker 2: And then yeah, I don't think that is people will agree to do this stuff anymore.
Speaker 5: A funny anecdote.
Speaker 2: I'm going to redact names just to you know, not to get in anybody in trouble here. But I you know, I was talking with a European tour player that played, you know, in this era, and he was telling me. He told me a story about I think it was is so Norman was dating a very very attractive person at the time, and he had played poorly and this woman was coming to meet him at this euro Tour event and Norman kind of had thrown like a little temper tantrum and left the tournament early before this woman that he was seeing arrived and she got there and and she was like where is he? And there everyone's like, oh, he left, you know. And she had traveled to this event and apparently she had turned turned in saw Sev and said, oh, he'll do and went off with Seve.
Speaker 4: Incredible, pretty good, good stuff that is not in the broadcast of the broadcast.
Speaker 2: That's just an anecdotal that jogged my memory when he said, it's an handsome mfor the uh that interview he talks about Norman before.
Speaker 4: He's like, I'm longer than everybody. Like, if I can hit a three or four iron to fifteen, I'm gonna push on the gas and try to do it. Instead of hitting a one or a two iron.
Speaker 3: And one or two.
Speaker 6: I wrote that quote down to Brendon, like, all these guys are carrying two irons at this point because that is like the equivalent of a five wood or a you know, a hybrid or whatever.
Speaker 3: Which is that's where the volatility comes in. You have to hit a two iron sometimes.
Speaker 2: The shot of when Crenshaw hit that that three wood, the angle of the camera was so good because it showed how.
Speaker 5: Freaking dip deep the three wood was. Then just hitting like how deep the face was.
Speaker 2: It's like, oh my god, that's timir fuel.
Speaker 6: You know what I'm thinking to any during that is like he doesn't have a track man to tell him that he knows that three would goes two hundred and thirty nine yards whatever.
Speaker 3: He just has to play that on feel like he has to trust.
Speaker 6: I've hitting the shot before I know it's gonna go, and it's well, yeah, this is how you swing a golf club.
Speaker 4: Let's do it.
Speaker 2: This is not meant to be a humble brag on multiple pieces here, but like when I played Augusta in the media thing, I played with persimmon and basically seventies blades and on fifteen. I pumped, I pummel the drive and I got into the spot and I.
Speaker 5: Stood over a foe iron, a four iron butter knife. So this would have been what Norman was looking at, not what other guys were.
Speaker 2: And I was playing a solid core golf ball, so that's you know where, and I'm I'm standing over this ball and looking at that green with a fore iron, and I was like, oh my god, like I have to hit this so freaking good, like so good, Like it's a scary green to hit a wedge in two like, but hitting a three wood or a one iron or two like, no, I don't want anything to do. Like I kind of get how chip back laid up in a way, it is like a It's it's a proposition where you're like, okay, like if I don't hit this dead flush, it's going.
Speaker 5: To be a very bad result.
Speaker 2: And I feel like that is like I don't know, it's something you watch this and it's like, uh, this is It's just not the same.
Speaker 5: It's not even close to the same game anymore.
Speaker 4: Rory obviously hit a seven iron, not the diminute. It's not diminishing his shot visa the eighty six shots. But that heat a seven iron last year.
Speaker 5: And they the t forty yards back.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, it's crazy that just some of the irons these guys are hitting. Of course, you know.
Speaker 2: I heard yesterday that you know, certain companies don't believe that that distance is an issue.
Speaker 4: Speaking of equipment, Speaking of equipment, the twelve pole. Melnick's on the call is the first time where we get a chuckle. He's chuckling about the comical oversized blade putter that Jack and I got a screenshot at, Like it's comically large, this giant jumbo head of a blade putter. And we say, truth be no, and this is Melanick. Nicholas's vision is not as good as it used to be. Jackie's helping him read the greens. He's got that oversized blade putter as Jackie reads the greens for him, and why Scotff will talk about it later. At sixteen, he's like, you know, jack can't see anymore. He doesn't even probably know the ball, you know, almost went in the hole and is sitting three feet from the hole. At sixteen. He all he says is, you know, be right, He says to Jackie, it is in the air. But he like Weiscov's like he can't see you can't see the green anymore. But I love the jumbo putter glimpse we get a yeah, well pretty.
Speaker 6: Good McGregor's ZT response. They sold three hundred three to four hundred thousand of these in the year after this masters. I always remember Rick Ratt described it as like the attachment to a vacuum cleaner.
Speaker 3: That was the size of it was.
Speaker 2: The amazing thing is like if a guy we see this over the history and it's probably becoming less and less prevalent. Remember when Zach Johnson won with a Seymour putter, how.
Speaker 5: That went like nuts too.
Speaker 2: It's like the eye alignment thing, like where the shaft covers the red dot, and like you know, Seyboar putters became this huge thing, you know, because of it. It's it's it's amazing how like somebody using something in a major could just completely change the trajectory of an otherwise piece of equipment that people would have been like, who would use that?
Speaker 6: VJ saying when he won the putter, the weird cutter, Yeah, it never compromsed.
Speaker 5: Blackened great one.
Speaker 6: Designed by like a concert pianist who had no experience whatsoever in designing clubs, and it like the website melted down afterwards.
Speaker 3: It was like, it's like off set. So that's like the chavy you see me on the thing.
Speaker 6: The chef comes down and then the head of it is like behind the ball, so it like forces you to keep your hands forward, w whatever.
Speaker 3: It just it's wild.
Speaker 5: Was it was it David Thoms who used the yes putter.
Speaker 4: It was Tom's, but Days had a moment the yes putter. They had a putt. They had a moment for sure.
Speaker 2: It was a major moment to David Tom's The seven wood was like a big you know thing from the Toms.
Speaker 4: Win yep, okay. So he's the man of the hour, always seen her three putts. He Bogie's twelve. We talked about his chip, like you can't ship the dog his short game. He doesn't hit a good ship there and and misses the putt, save par saving putt. That's the only shot he'll drop.
Speaker 6: My favorite Nicholas humble brag is that he some people talk like that after his career was over, We're like, no, you won't really renound for your short game, and he was like, what you know, I didn't miss a lot of greens. So you know, if I had I miss a lot of greens, I would have practiced my short game more.
Speaker 3: I would have been better at it.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, ah, that's a good one. So he's he becomes the focus, I'd say at twelve. All right, of course they don't shows t shot at thirteen, shows approach shot at thirteen it sticks up like a great approach shot. I didn't write down the club. Was it like a six iron four iron somewhere in there? They weren't like having to hit lumber. Some of those guys were not. Like Watson hit one of the biggest drives of the day at thirteen, hitting like a mid iron in he hits a great shot, but it sticks compared to Sevey Lands different trajectory, runs right up to the hole that great like back right pin, and Sevey makes an eagle. But where's where's Jack has to grind for a two putt thirty? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Do you want to talk about Sevi's thing now?
Speaker 6: Because I eagle at thirteen, so I have a visual aid of this too awesome shot by Seve takes the slope, trickles down towards the pin and he does the big No No of essentially like at this point he's gonna make this eagle putt and have a three shot lead in the Masters, and he shakes hands with his brother as they're walking up thirteenth Fairway and then takes his hat off and waves it to the crowd. It's an incredible like celebration of like just like I got this shit, like we are we are cooking. And of course it goes very wrong later in a few minutes, but I just love the image of him shaking hands with them. I think it's Vicente is his brother as they kind of look at each other. He's said to be putting his arm around him and walking up the fairway.
Speaker 5: I just watching the whole thing.
Speaker 2: One of my takeaways I didn't write this down, was just like how much more expressive the players were with their caddies, and like, how much more like he after Norman made Birdie on seventeen. You just see him like do this like big axail and he's just like, you know, he's like walking to the next tee like pumped up. Like it's like you just don't you know, like these players learn to just be robots.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I mean Jack's considered dry. He's like cackling walking off the sixteenth green as I think he realized it's the good fortune and how incredible this is that's happening. He's like cackling as he walks off sixteen. So real quick, yeah.
Speaker 2: On this so Seve bird eagles thirteen. So at this point Seve is nine under through thirteen and Jack is on fifteen t at five under.
Speaker 4: It's four back with four to play for him.
Speaker 2: Yes, also a quick note in here that I would be reversed.
Speaker 5: Payne Stewart makes an appearance around here.
Speaker 3: He did. Yeah, it was incredible.
Speaker 2: And they're like he's already missed two punts inside of two feet.
Speaker 5: Yes, hey, drive.
Speaker 3: By on Paine Stewart.
Speaker 5: And then like one are the three shots they show a Payte Stuart. He misses like a three footer that was on seventeen.
Speaker 4: I think it was. I think it was just like, honestly three feet, not more than three feet. It was ben right because we took we go to the toorally elegant pain Steward, but we were told he is already missed two butts inside of two feet. That's it, that's all the pain Stewart appears, and then he misses the three a.
Speaker 3: Measure for Do you guys know where pain Stewart finished in this tournament?
Speaker 6: No, he finished eighth, top ten and this is the one ten second thing we see of him was just yacking the butt.
Speaker 5: I mean he seemed to be in a really bad mood.
Speaker 4: Yes, I mean right said he could have been measured for a jacket had those gone in the two footers. And then he misses another one at seventeen. This sartorial, sartorially elegant pain Stewart. So Seve makes eagle right now, they say it's Seve's masters to lose. When he's four up on Jack, two up on kite and cruising as we go. Jack's on the do we need anything to add about Jack? Thirteen? He makes the birdie the bear. The bear references are just NonStop prowl the old bear. There's life in the old bear. The bear is hunting again.
Speaker 2: Ben right, Ben Wright slight line after I think the whole thing here.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so far, so well, I'll set it up when when after he makes the eagle, Brandon can describe's masters will lose.
Speaker 4: I'll just say Norman is off the stage Norman, who ends up being like the final putt, the final.
Speaker 6: Ten on kind of an underrated thing, complete terrible drive, clatters around in the trees, hits it a terrible approach into ten with a with a fore iron uh and it has chips over the green into the bunker and then makes a mess of it makes double like literally that was kind of Norman's masters in some ways, although he obviously goes it gets them fire later.
Speaker 5: I mean the tenth hole that was a disaster.
Speaker 4: Yeah, tugs it left in the trees, gets lucky, It bounces in the fairway, then tugs it left like the one place you cannot I mean, there's a lot of bad places to miss on ten, but going hard left off the green and doubles it. So you know, Norman's the main character, and then it's Sevy's the main car and then Jack like he's just sort of the old lion and they're, you know whatever. He's making some birdies and needs some disaster. He's four down with four to play. Norman's off the stage. Nicholas is on fifteen. He has two hundred yards to the pin. They say he's never needed an eagle more. Is this part of your narration, Kevin, I don't want to cut it, he said, he's never need to.
Speaker 3: Do it afterwards. You do it this part, I'll do the aftermath.
Speaker 4: There have been three eagles in the last four players, Peven, Gary Cooch and Mark McCumber. He flies into the pin and it lands pretty soft. Uh, And they say, he's got a chance. He's got a chance. Is this part of your He's got a chance, He's got a very good chance. The old Bear.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I should have wrote down the whole thing, but I have the post thing. So he rolls the putt in and this is a little bit of a controversy here, as you're hearing in a second. So Ben Wright, he's got this lovely English voice. He says, yes, sir, the battle has joined. My goodness, there's life.
Speaker 3: In the Old Bear yet, magnificent stuff.
Speaker 6: And that information will percolate back to Semi Barstetus.
Speaker 4: That's exactly what it was. And he goes to the fifteenth t where I will have to wait. That was what he said. So he did not invent.
Speaker 6: Yes, sir, yes see like this is right. Who was kind of actually bitter about this for years that and Vern actually felt a little bit guilty about it. That he said he subconsciously heard it somewhere and that he used it, but it became kind of his iconic call instead of ben Wright's saying the first thing, yes sir.
Speaker 4: Wow. So we had a yes sir for the eagle on fifteen for Jack, Yes sir for the putt from Vern on seventeen, and yes sir for Vern when Norman makes his on seventeen. Those are the three for sure. Weisskough when he's on fifteen before he makes the eagles, like he's making good swings, he's just a little too far behind. That's what he says about Jack. This is a must make. At fifteen he makes it. It was like a whole like will it situation with Danny Willett, like he kind of he was just, oh, that's nice. He's making birdies. And that's just how the masters works, right. It's slow and then it's fast really quick. I'll say, I'll leave this to you, Kevin. But when Jack makes his eagle could have been later when somebody else made their eagle. He said, eagles are becoming as common. Did you write this as his house was at your household Sparrow? The eagles are becoming as common as your household sparrow. I didn't understand that. Does everybody have a sparrow? Like, I don't understand what that means? It a bird cage? Is it outside?
Speaker 3: That was like a.
Speaker 6: Harry Potter situation where everyone's awarded an owl and you just have one around.
Speaker 4: The eagles are becoming as common as your household. All right, So that's fifteen. He birdied eagles fifteen. All of a sudden, he's four back, the two back at the time, but Sevy's still too clear kite ahead of them. All these guys are ahead of them, not all the kite kiten by stereos are ahead of them paving at the time, He's tied with for a second. All right, what do we have next? Sevy booms at three hundred yards of fifteen, and it's considered huge, like a huge.
Speaker 2: Just prime primo position, like effectively cannot screw this up, Like you know, he got into where all of a sudden he doesn't have that one iron in. He got to where Norman like effectively thought his huge advantage was Yeah another thing, just random thing. No spectators behind sixteen t Did you notice that?
Speaker 5: Uh yeah, matrons.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's almost it's like completely Uh. You can see the camera up there, Yeah, and.
Speaker 2: You can see a grand stand which I think was actually behind maybe fourteen t.
Speaker 4: There. You know, there are obviously giant crowds by galleries, I should say by the end at eighteen. One thing I noticed was it didn't seem too dense compared you know, they obviously let a lot more people in that like ten. When Norman's on ten, there's nobody there. You can just walk up and watch the final group with a Master. I can't do that now there's I don't think there's a grand stand. I was trying to find this right of fifteen green, like there is now left of seventeen Green. It looks like there's just a big like sort of viewing hill and not the grand stand that there is on seventeen. So certainly I don't want to say there's no It was dense by the end of the end, but it just seems fewer numbers spread out farther across the course.
Speaker 6: I will say, like one of the things that anyone who's ever been to this Masters, and they talk about it later in the broadcast, is that like the roars were so loud.
Speaker 3: It was like being in a basketball game.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 6: People have said, like there's never ever been louder than it was than when Nicholas was making this back nine thirty run.
Speaker 4: You called it deafening. So seventy's three hundred yards in the faraway at fifteen. We'll get to jacket sixteen here in a minute, a one position. We've talked about some of the bad shots. Paving into the middle of the pond at sixteen, I think is off the hook. When Sevey steps up to his approach shot at fifteen, just an immediate, immediate smother hook into like nowhere close middle of the pond. Uh, it's just an awful one of the great one of the great bad shots. I should say. If by by a Master's champion and would be three time champion, they say, oh, he's pulled it. He pull looked that that's destined for the water. There's some cheering. I don't want to say it's like Mullinari putting in the water at twelve. Like there was like people in the background fifteen who put their hands up and there is cheering. There's a lot of CBS covering, like trying to provide cover for the crowd saying the ever courteous. Oh, they're so courteous, the ever courteous. They say that three times about a two minute span. There is some cheering when he pull hooks it that's destined for the waters. And what does he say? The foreign invasion is reeling under the bears attack?
Speaker 3: Then right, more an invasion is reeling under the bears attack.
Speaker 4: No good an awful drop kick or just an awful pull hook into the water. What impressed me about Sevy at fifteen was he decides where to drop it, like an under two minutes. Like he's at one moment, he's with two rules officials on the edge of the water. They're like, he could drop it at the edge of the water, he could walk back to put more spin on it, he could go to the drop zone. The dude makes his decision, ball down, hits the shot all in under two minutes. And I'm talking including the pacing it back all the way.
Speaker 6: It was kind of basically yes in modern day, Yeah.
Speaker 4: I timed it up. It was one minute forty seconds from the rules official approaching it at the water and then just like looking down, going back, walking it off, hitting the shot kind of incredible.
Speaker 3: So all of this is unfolding like so quickly. Right.
Speaker 6: This is right about the point when Norman is playing thirteen and he hits it long up above thirteen, and Venturi says, yeah, lookout, oh as the ball slides down the hill, I think he can feel the green coat slipping away.
Speaker 3: It's just like boom, boom boom.
Speaker 6: We're just bouncing back and forth between all these various traumas.
Speaker 4: That back left miss and he was talking. He kept tugging it left right. He did it at seventeen, did it twice at ten? Now does it at thirteen? Approach? I did make a birdie from back there, but yeah, it's usually dead back left thirteen.
Speaker 6: Raise your hand if you haven't played against Yeah.
Speaker 4: So Jack gets to sixteen and nance it's Nancy's moment. He's a kid first Masters. He goes if anyone has ever owned this hole? It could be Jack Nicholas, who goes through his history there Berdie's when he's won his it won his Masters.
Speaker 3: Okay, I do it because I have.
Speaker 6: This is one of my favorite things in broadcast history. Please this is I'm gonna do my best dance here. Jack Nicholas knowing he must continue the charge. He has to figure that Belsaros will make at least birdie back at fifteen. If anyone as of her owned this hole, it would be Jack Nicholas. When he first won his green jacket back in nineteen sixty three, he did it with a birdie here at sixteen. And of course, who can forget nineteen seventy five, the forty foot putt. Tom Wiscoff, what's going through Jack's mind? He hasn't experienced this kind of streak in a long time. Weiscoff says, if I knew, I thought I would if I knew how he thought, I would have won this tournament, and they laughed together. No, seriously, he just gonna fire this right at the pin. He's gonna think, Jack, this is the time, right now, make this swing that you are capable of making. Stay down, accelerate through the ball, make a good off swing.
Speaker 3: Your destiny is right here.
Speaker 6: And what I love about it is west Cooff talks like this right up to the moment where Jack is about to hit the ball. I mean, we get like your destiny is right here, and it's two seconds before Jack takes a club back. After that, and then Nance just goes it's right at it, oh.
Speaker 3: My, And it's just like I love that sequence.
Speaker 6: That's one of my favorite subsequences in broadcast history because it just it builds to the moment it gives you the history, and then it lets it sort of speak for itself.
Speaker 4: He almost spins it back into the hole for an ace. It's that famous line which we're not privy to on the broadcast where you know, allegedly Jackie's caddy his son says be good and jack says it is and you can't see.
Speaker 3: Do you think that that actually happened?
Speaker 4: I mean, I don't want to you said it, but I've thought it, like is this.
Speaker 6: Really study so many times in the years to see if you can hear Field Nicholas's lips like moving he bends down to get the tee, So in theory he could have said it there, but you can't really like.
Speaker 3: There's no evidence of it that Nicholas says that.
Speaker 6: Obviously we don't have Jackie. I mean, I don't think they would like make that up, so obviously it happened. But it's just like the conspiracy person in me is like, wait a minute, like why can't I see like Nicholas saying this to Jackie, like, oh, it is, like.
Speaker 4: What one thing that's a common theme throughout this broadcast is how audible the crowd is on the broadcast, because I assume these guys I don't know actually are they in towers, like and their MIC's are picking. There's so much stuff you can hear from the crowd, Like sometimes it's just like you're hearing conversations that are just going on next to the eighteenth green. Well, when that ball is coming into sixteen, there's some guy who's like, oh, oh Jesus, like shouts it and it's almost like as loud as nance as the ball, Like it just adds to the drama of this. He's gonna make an ace.
Speaker 6: Maybe this is where you got that wisecoff line of oh, you'd mentioned the legitate earlier, and.
Speaker 3: A lot of people don't realize jack doesn't see that.
Speaker 6: Well, it probably has no idea how close up ball is.
Speaker 4: So then Nakajima, who's with Sevy on fifteen, like cannot play for like minutes because sixteen you obviously it's raining by the gallery and everybody's going nuts the whole walk up and he has to keep backing off the ball, and they said it's like Days of Old, because Watson then has a chance of his own eagle at some point in fifteen to get the seven under right after that. So right, it's like Days of Old, And so Watson versus Nicholas, they're both going for eagles. I honestly like I was many mini digression on Tom Watson. The guy won eight majors, but nothing after nineteen eighty three, and this is nineteen eighty six. He had to think Jack's ten years older. Yeah, Like Jack won a major later than Watson did, like eight majors, just so many majors, and they all came in like I think it was like seventy five to eighty three somewhere I looked it up earlier, but like it almost in an eight year, ten year span, and he had to think, like I was going to outlast Jack or at least get a major after Jack. He never did.
Speaker 2: I think something that's amazing about this major is the idea of like the old, the old greatest of all time, like go run into gauntlet and taking on all the very best of this era and taking it to him one last time. Like I just think that that is like the overarching It's it's a little bit of shades of Tiger in twenty nineteen with Brooks in the mix, like where it's like, oh, oh, boys, you don't want this smoke, like and coming down and just it's just let me show you something and like him doing it. And that's like right at this moment in the telecast is kind of where I was like thinking about that.
Speaker 5: It's like, how cool is this tournament?
Speaker 4: Thelphers who have dominated the seventies and eighties have all congregated at the top of this leader board, all the golfers who dominated.
Speaker 6: This Why though, I guess maybe I'm gonna feel dumb when someone reveals answers why isn't Faldo playing? He just looked it up. He didn't play in the first two Majors of this year. He was like he played in the previous three Masters, but then he missed two Masters. Is this when Faldo had sort of lost his swing? Later this year he finishes in the Open, fifth in the Open Championship, and he wins the Masters in eighty seven Old Championship.
Speaker 4: In my guess would be when this was This might be when he was tearing down this swing would be a guess. I don't know, maybe going make it in the middle of a swing change, just a guess, all right. So so Jack gets through sixteen, he's eagled fifteen, he's eagles thirty, sixteen, seventeen. They don't see the drive. They don't they don't know where it went. He like Verne is like, oh, we don't see it. Where wherever it is? It ends up being any.
Speaker 5: Drive on seven.
Speaker 2: If they just showed the camera shot of like just the fairway, there's nothing you can see.
Speaker 4: Yep, yeap. So he hits it. It's a four hundred yard hole at the time, seventeen four hundred yards up the hill. He said, Jack is prowling after his twentieth major win. We should note like that is the ubiquitous concert reference. He's going for twenty majors, which is now eighteen. They can't find his te ball quote. We're still searching. It's not good wherever it is. Well, it was like, okay, you had a shot. An interesting thing was it wasn't a gallery. They never take the ropes down, did you guys notice that throughout like they never nowadays they just would you know, obviously you take the ropes down, you take the stakes down. They're just like, yeah, you know if it hits the rope, so well, I'll figure it out. After he's like hitting over this gallery, crosswalk side and the ropes. This happens over and over again with Norman and others. But he has a shot and he a clear angle. He comes up and over the top to the back back right pin and he's yeah, h to the back of the green birdie makeable putt and he makes.
Speaker 3: A hell of a shot from to be on that top shelf. Like to not go along there.
Speaker 5: Nothing compared to Norman's though, yeah.
Speaker 4: True, it's not.
Speaker 2: It's interesting, nothing compared to Yes, like, I'm not trying to diminished check shot, but like what you see fifteen minutes later, you're like, oh my god, that.
Speaker 6: When we remember earlier this year we did the greatest shots in a losing effort, and I did not put Norman's shot on there because I honestly was kind of ignorant of it. I was like, oh, Norman blew it on eighteen, Like what And someone was like, yo, you need to go check out Norman's shot on seventeen, and it's like we'll get there in a second, but it's so good that it made our next list that's coming out soon for like greatest shots.
Speaker 4: Of all time.
Speaker 2: Can I just point out something that like is a big theme of this the telecast and also our com terry.
Speaker 5: To this point, nobody.
Speaker 4: And all is talking about Tom Kite, who's just there, you gets runner up.
Speaker 2: He like literally he has a putt to get into the playoff, Like what's the closest to getting in the playoff, and he's just literally like there the whole.
Speaker 3: Time kind of along.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, And it was just like, you know, it's like just like perfect.
Speaker 5: For Tom Kite.
Speaker 2: I feel like I have, like this guy, really great player of the era, but like not really memorable in terms of like when people rattle off names of the nineties and eighties, they don't they don't go to Kite, even though he's this great, great player, And like even on this telecast, it's just like in Tom Kite is just one back.
Speaker 6: These are Tom Kite's consecutive Masters finishes tenth fifth. There's some ties in here, but tenth fifth, third, eighteenth, fifth, sixth, fifth, fifth, and then this ends up finishing second sixth. He misses the cut and the finishes second, and then later he has kind of a lull, but he finishes fourth and second.
Speaker 3: H It's like, incredible, incredible.
Speaker 4: Run, Tom, incredible run. And honestly, had the should have could have been in the could have been in the playoff more more than Norman played better golf than Norman on Sunday. So Norman was erratic, But I forgot to say, the bears come out of hibernation is when we get that famous Nance line, when he's walked off, he's gone eagle birdie at sixteen, pulls it on seventeen, gets up to the back ledge, and this is where we get the famous, the most famous, Yes, sir put I think like it is so aided by the visual, like the Potter rays, like he knows it's going in the jar while it's still going end over end tumbling, and I think like it's the iconic moment from this masters. I guess he went to he went away, or he went ahead for good here and I guess that's the point of it. But watching the totality of the three hours, you're like, oh, that was awesome, major, massive moment, But it's like of a piece of like the hundred other things that are going on, you know, so anything you need to add, I'm not trying to give this short shrift, But Jack seventeenth pole.
Speaker 6: I just love There's a couple of little subtle things, like I love how he tugs his pant leg up a little bit before he reaches down to get the ball, which is just kind of like an old guy thing, like your pants don't fit quite right and so you want to split it gets a favocat also the fear of like splitting your pants if you don't like just sort of adjust them a little bit. And I love that aster he picks up the ben he's walking off, he does, he looks at the sky kind of like he's sort of like kind doesn't believe this. There's a I have a visual at the very end of this, but they show it later where he's just like wow, like he kind of like was almost like is this shit really happening? Like this this really real life? At this moment was kind.
Speaker 4: Of cool, incredible.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 4: Sevy makes his makes his bogie at fifteen and they say he's not in a tie Jack, and we get the foreign invasions reeling under the bear's attack. Right ben, right line. We don't really Sevy. That's it. That's it for Sevy. Essentially, we don't really see much more of Sev.
Speaker 5: I mean seventeen. We need the putt he hit seventeen. I mean he still had a chance I could take.
Speaker 3: I always thought he was dead hitting the water on fifteen.
Speaker 4: No, no, actually.
Speaker 2: Tied from the putt on seventeen needs to be talked about. He has like a eighteen feet for Bertie.
Speaker 5: To tie the lead.
Speaker 2: He's behind the hole fifteen feet passed and he's three putts and that is over. But he could have either made that putt or if he just two putts there from very short distance, he could birdie eighteen and get into a playoff. It was like I the fifteenth shot was one thing. My note was Seve just melted on season mentally melted, melted down there.
Speaker 6: He said on in his biography years later that the shot on fifteen like haunted him forever, like that. He just couldn't get over that. He smother hooked it into the pond there with with like all he's got to do is like put that anywhere on the green two putt.
Speaker 3: He's going to win the Masters.
Speaker 4: The putt on seventeen. You just don't see, like, okay, we can talk about equipment, right, Equipment issues make the misses worse. The put on something you just don't see from guys in contention at a major who've won that major multiple times. We're talking like he makes contact, he waves at the ball knowing it's going like twenty feet past what like is.
Speaker 2: The general gesticulations of players were it was so incredible, like they they were expressive, one more, one more, one more preposterous Sevvy moment.
Speaker 4: So he's ball in sixteen, lands on the top of the bunker. He does a hockey putt. He does like he's got to, like all the way to the pucker, does a hockey putt. He makes a ball, But.
Speaker 3: I do like it.
Speaker 6: At some point, I think it's on eighteen VENTUREI says, they keep on ballisteros. This is before they anyone had knew to pronounced the double l's Ballisterario's will win more than to what will win more masters. I guarantee you that it's like, Nope, that didn't happen there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, guarantee you that, he said. I guarante like he is the undisputed best player in the world. I guarantee you that I had that right. Uh had to back off his pot as Jack is going up eighteen. He almost so. Jack gets in the middle on eighteen. It's the middle of the green on eighteen, doesn't get up to the There's not the usual pin that we've become so accustomed to right there, like middle left there in the in the swale, and it's his top back right pin would have been perfect in the normal pin we're used to. It has like a fifty footter that he almost he puts it in the heart and people are like losing their mind, like, oh my god, Like I thought that was going in. It's like like you know, reach, reach, and it was it nearly went in. He's just a tap in part.
Speaker 6: Can you imagine if he had made that putt and essentially had just like shot twenty nine to win the Masters, like and there was no doubt nobody was gonna even like have it.
Speaker 3: But to catch.
Speaker 4: Him as he was walking up, Venturi says, in all my years and in the golf, in all my years in the golf, I think that was the most emotional and largest ovation I've ever heard, is Jack is walking up to the green and he almost makes it. He goes, that was right in the middle. Pat, what a play, what a champion, what a round? What a player? Ah beautiful, he says, ah beautiful when he hugs Jackie as his kid obviously as they're walking off. So that's there's still a lot of golf to be played. So anything from Jack and eighteen we got that cup go ahead.
Speaker 2: Well, the other the putt, the putt was incredible in the heart.
Speaker 4: Yeah, a couple of rolls.
Speaker 2: Lay like an eighty footer completely dead where you just have the tap in. Meanwhile, though the shark, the shark is circling.
Speaker 4: The shark is circling. So he looked horrible. Look just yanking the ball saving part. Then he goes to birdie fourteen, fifteen, sixteen, seventeen. That's it, that's all he did. Seventeen we've talked about where.
Speaker 3: We didn't really describe what it was though. Yeah, I want to hear your description of.
Speaker 2: What well, I mean sixteen he hits that shot and it and it just kind of corrals in and I feel like when Jack was putting out if I if I recall Norman's around fifteen, and Ben Wright says, here we have it a shark and a bear.
Speaker 4: Yeah, a lot of animal terms flying this line.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 2: But then at sixteen he hits like just like the the just such an epic shot, you know where it plays the slope perfectly corrals it in and it's just like, oh my god, it you know what like you guys, I can't remember who said it was.
Speaker 5: Kind of a Rory esque.
Speaker 2: Yes it was, because he would hit that shot and they followed it with the snap pook off seventeen t were like, what where did that come from?
Speaker 4: The best player in the world. It's like they look like nobody could beat you. And then you're like, yeah, it was incredible. Sixteen was it was not that I know we're talking about these near aces, but I mean kite airmailed it. Peven hit in the middle of the pond. It wasn't like just everybody throwing it to the same spot in like a wedge and sucking it back past the hole. There was variability there even on these last five five to six groups. So on seventeen, like, it's unbelievable. Eisenhower's tree is there, Like you wonder if it's like caught in the Eisenhower tree. You just know you could see the ball snapping off the tee and that's it. There's questions on whether you should get relief from a sprinkler head that is for the seventh green. It's on like the fringe of the seventh green. And this is what Andy, I think you ended up over here when you played around. Not to throw your round here again, but like you just.
Speaker 2: Don't see this much few more trees then, yes, that was the sightlines through. I just seem good point out that these are two of the greatest shots in Masters history that nobody would be able to hit now because they've planted a gazillion trees over there to prohibit like.
Speaker 5: The recovery shots.
Speaker 2: There's also like crazy the other thing you know, just watching this, there's no p pine straw on the golf court.
Speaker 4: No, yeah, nope, there's nothing, no pine straw sightlines just from like through around fifteen and fourteen, there's no it's just kind of open. So this still is kind of a it's a low runner onto the front of the green and he makes essentially about the same length putt as Jack. Like the shot to get from essentially seventh green to call it like twelve feet was a miracle uses the ground, runs it up there and then makes the putt and gets the yes sir, and is smiling and runs like is kind of like skipping to the eighteenth.
Speaker 6: Career playing the hits using guests are yet again for Norman Era, this is like when a one hit wonder has a radio hit. You hear it like ten minutes after you heard it on the radio again.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Also, while this is going on, top Kite is basically hit a great pot that ran that if he hit a fraction harder goes in and gets into the playoffs. But once again, nobody talks about how top Kite probably should have wont this.
Speaker 3: And Kevin, yeah best like hits a six iron Venturi.
Speaker 6: We didn't really talk a lot about Venturi, who's kind of a dick, like in a lot of ways, like in a very honest way, but like we'll cook people like if they don't. And he you know, everybody's rooting for Jack at this point. It's like they kind of want Jack to win. Like, you know, Kite hits his great six iron into the green and just how you think it was. It hits the top of the hill and releases right at the pin and and Ventura's like, oh, kind of a lucky there.
Speaker 3: It was like, no, dude, like that's a really good shot.
Speaker 4: It was the best approach shot on eighteen of the day of this of this broadcast.
Speaker 6: That's and then what does the adventure you say on the putt? You cannot be short here. You do not be short as he hits it, just as I said short, didn't hold the line low left, short, can't be short there. I guarantee Norman will not be short here on his putt.
Speaker 4: I mean I get it. I get his point, Like he didn't give it enough. It got to the it got to it. Yeah, yeah, yeah, it just missed them the low side. But that yeah, and he loses by a shot. Tom Kite incredible. He will win undoubtedly with how consistency, how consistent he is. His jacket is coming, is what they said. Uh so Norman Birdie's seventeen I will just say I forgot to mention at seventeen when when Jack made his and we got the yes, sir. They asked, whiskopfu has his history with him? Like Jack, Tom, you must be a jumble of emotion right now, he goes. I jumped up. I jumped up I like, I can't believe this is happening. Weiss Coffin is in the younger than Jack. He's in the broadcast booth, and you got Jack. He must be a jumble of emotion. So so Norman follows shortly makes his own birdy at seventeen eighteen, as we talked about, makes draws the three wood perfect down the middle, has the four iron.
Speaker 3: I got a sure that's right here.
Speaker 6: We can beach can put up of Norman standing in the middle of the fairly here.
Speaker 4: The whole thing, you know, part for a playoff. Mh.
Speaker 3: Probably what we're thinking, like one ninety here or something, but you know, two hundred.
Speaker 5: Seventy seven.
Speaker 3: Trying to hit a draw up pill.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you know you're probably playing that. It's probably one ninety five shot he's trying to and he's in in four iron one.
Speaker 4: Thing eighteen is much more open on the tea box, less claustrophobic like the ropes. I don't know if the rope line in the box is just big.
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 4: The other thing is the box is thirty yards up. It's not very back. I understand it's on the top of that hillie.
Speaker 5: Of the tea box.
Speaker 2: Like the cluster of trees is a lot closer to the tea box.
Speaker 4: It's so it just feels so just kind of roomy up there. Uh So he gets it up there.
Speaker 3: I have a next shot here where he hits the crowd.
Speaker 4: Well as he's as he's over the ball, Ventory goes, if there's any doubt about the greatness of the man, Oh, this is about Jack, about the great man. He's proven it today. But they're talking about how Ventory is like surely a playoff or a win, like probably not. A bogie is coming. Everybody's congregating around the tenth Green. So they have video of the masses running down for the Norman Nicholas playoff, Like everybody's encircling the tenth Green, and and they're like they're all they're all heading there. This is gonna be a playoff, you know, at worst, or a win for Norman. You know he's gonna get his win. So all right, so go ahead, Kevin, I don't interrupt you.
Speaker 3: No, it just you know, Norman we talked a little about the beginning.
Speaker 6: I always remember this in Sports Illustrated that Rick Raley referred to it as his four iron fo r e uh and because he hits it, not hitting fifteen rows deep into the crowd here. It's like at the top, like at the kind of the top of the picture here if you're watching on YouTube, is where the ball lands. It's just such an incredible like miss for like the championship was on the line, but he hits a decent enough chip to where he ends up with this putt in the next frame here to to ship.
Speaker 4: Was incredible chiprun down there.
Speaker 5: Good. Okay, it's like that is so good.
Speaker 6: Yeah, obviously there's one more frame here with the putt like standing over it. He does not hit the greatest putt here. Uh you know, misses by a good foot on the left winner. It's like, you know, maybe eight inches on the left. But just like I don't know, I can't help but feel a little bit for Norman as I go back through the last month, through some of these old masters of just how close he was to winning like four green jackets and gets blanked over again.
Speaker 5: Again.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you can't that approach shot just go for the playoff. It's unbelievable how wide that approach shot was. I know he had the four iron after you just watched what he did on seventeen Venturi is like sort of incredulous. He goes, he's watched this for the last two hours. He goes, you're not supposed to do these things in golf, what you're watching, You're not supposed to do this. And then we get the other side of the coin of like the very bad with the approach after the recovery for Birdie on seventeen, where he's just miles into the gallery and does the one thing. I honestly, the fact that he had that putt for Parr was a miracle. I thought the chip was incredible that he really I thought he was dead. And in jail Fire, there's an incredible visual of Norman they've got to clear out, like ten rows. He's so far back and there's all this, you know, because it's Augusta, they probably don't want to say this, but like detritis, there's water bottles and you know, like rappers, and he's standing there and it's taking while for these people of an advanced age to screw up. He starts kicking these bottles like he looks fucked, like resign. He has his hands on his hips, like looks like he's in jail. Seems to appear to have the attitude body language of someone who's done. Gets to the point where like it's unbelievable how he's just looking around so mad, like I'm done, I'm toast, and kicks a couple like extra leftover items of garbage after like these the rows of people have been moved back, and.
Speaker 6: You know, after birdying four in row, you know, he was thinking, I'm going to burdie this last hole and I'm gonna win the freaking masters.
Speaker 4: I just I'd never I don't recall that this hun on a single putt at the very end with Norman. I just you see the Jack and this was essentially the same anything as Rory last year on eighteen, like that tension and death in the air, life or death, and you just it's been reduced to Jack and all his charge, which is of course sorryer, but I just don't remember it coming down to the wire. And of course he's in the Jones cabin. I think it's Jones. Maybe it was it, which is you know, left to ten there, and so I have to race him over to the Butler cabin, which of.
Speaker 3: Course I have a good visual hair of him walking.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I thought it was very funny this security guard sticking his hand out to.
Speaker 3: Shake his hand as Nicholas does shake his hand, and.
Speaker 4: Random people just like walk in, yeah, shake his hand. Whoever that man is who's on it appears in the video, but just walks in from the security to shake this guy's hand with the greatest major ever like hopefully has this is some keepsake, it's just Joe's mo maybe it's a friend to Nicholas.
Speaker 5: Kevin. You you illuminated this.
Speaker 2: I think this is one of the greatest early memes if only social media existed when this was created. I saw I was happy that you gathered this because this was the one asset I wanted to be in here. That floating head, jack floating over twelve, Like what an unflattering picture.
Speaker 5: At the head? He just what's the master? What's the six s green jacket?
Speaker 2: And it's like, let's put together the worst looking photo we can.
Speaker 6: If you're listening listening on the pod, it's it's a shot of twelve for some reason, and Jack on after you made the putt on seventeen.
Speaker 3: Looking at the sky, which I was alluding to.
Speaker 6: But it's like like his disembodied head is like sort of floating over the bridge.
Speaker 2: It's nineteen eighty six photoshop capabilities here.
Speaker 6: It's kind of like transparent too, so like where Jack's collar is, you can still see through the green and like part of his like shirt and skin on the green.
Speaker 3: It's it's a it's a trip.
Speaker 4: When Norman misses the putt badly, Venturi goes, that is hard to believe. What a finish, What a finish, My god, what a game?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 4: And so they rush Jack. They get him to Butler cabin. You could hear him. Musburger's doing the voiceover with he's in the cabin with hord Harden, who's the chairman of Augusta National at the time.
Speaker 3: Trying to get some asking questions and then.
Speaker 4: Well that's he didn't to ask. But then you can hear Jack kind of rustling in, because the audio of this whole day is like you can hear everything in the room and around the hole. It's like this Mike's picking up, there's Jack like coming back, where's my Jack like rustling in to get to get a seat, as Musburger does the voiceover, Uh, so they go they go to Musburger. Never in the history of golf is a more popular champion Ben crowned Hordhart and the chairman talks about we have two men who have prevailed. Who's the other, Sam Randolph? I mean got he prevailed? He did?
Speaker 2: Do you know how many more Masters Sam Randolph played in what another handwer This was his best eighteen as am was pretty good. Was a bona fide pro thirty six, thirty six the year before, Oh wow, okay, th eighteen was his best Master's finish, the USC Hall of Finish runner up the year before in the US AM then won the US AM to get it. And so he played played the Masters twice two years in a row as an abb which is pretty rare.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they go to jack. It's been an unusual year for me. I really don't have uh, I mean Hoarhart and asking Sam Rodolph is the biggest sort of total curveball for the moment like this all time? What a Master's the greatest masters I've ever seen? That, Venturi says. And they've got to talk to Sam Randolph. He's like, you know, I'm gonna go pro. And it was a great day. I think the question was, uh, you know, how was your day out there? I hope you enjoyed yourself. To Randolph did low Am that everyone just wants to hear from Jack. Pretty good. I hope you had a nice day. Jack says, it's been unusual year for me. I really just played awful and started playing well about a week ago. I felt like I could play. I didn't expect to be in position to win. I felt this morning all of a sudden though. If I shot sixty six, I thought I'd tie it. If I shot sixty five, I'd win it. And that's sort of the masters, right, Like I like, it can happen really fast on a Sunday. Of course, you can't shoot back nine thirties every time, but he's been there. He's like, I haven't had my game. But I wake up on Sunday and he's like, and you know, maybe sixty six I can tie it. In sixty five, maybe maybe maybe I'd win. And that's kind of what happened. He said, I haven't had this much fun in six years. He gets emotional talking about Jackiet Jackie when they ask him about his spot. I'm fifteen, you know I talked to Jackie, and then just to mention of Jackie gets some going and very emotional and how he hasn't had that much fun in six years, talked about the crowd being deafening and having to wipe tears from his eyes, and like, you got golf to play, You got golf to play. When he was walking from like greens and teas as the crowds were firing him up.
Speaker 6: Kuse Andy, I didn't know Jackie was such a good player, talking about how he won the North South Amateur.
Speaker 5: Right, great players, great parents.
Speaker 4: Right, we got a lot of that, a lot of that throughout, which was a special moment, you like the fathers and sons deal was. It was evident throughout. And yeah, He's like, you know, I'd heard all about how like I can't win anymore, and I said, I'm gonna prove him wrong, you know. I wanted to show they were wrong. And uh yeah, an all time and all time Masters for sure? What else am I leaving leaving off the table here?
Speaker 3: Anything? Just my one last kind of journalism tidbit? Here is it?
Speaker 6: Dave Kindred, famous sports writer, was washing posts and stuff. Didn't attend this Masters. It was like the first one in twenty some years or something. He didn't go to because he was attending the wedding of his son, and so all these people were like, oh man, bet you you suck that you miss out whatever. And Nicholas heard about this and wrote Kindred a letter and it was like, I just want you to know, like how much I admire the decision that you made, Like family is like way more important than anything that I could have ever done. And if you ever want to know like the inside scoop on what happened in nineteen six, just.
Speaker 3: Give me a call. I'll be happy to give you the tail. That's kind of cool thing.
Speaker 4: Andy, you got to run? You got any sign off, Kevin, and I can wrap it? You got anything else?
Speaker 5: All time? All time?
Speaker 2: Masters was super fun to do it, and I think, like, yeah, I didn't like what gets lost to time is just the gauntlet that he goes through of players to beat. I don't think we'll ever see a leaderboard like that. Yeah, yeah, it was you know, it'd be you know, effectively like right now is would be you know, you have like I don't know, Justin Rose wins and it's Rob Rory Scheffler.
Speaker 4: It's almost like Tiger, but like healthy tiger. Yeah.
Speaker 5: But like Francesco Mullinari was problemly.
Speaker 4: Oh totally. Oh, I'm not comparing it to nineteen. I'm saying, like Tiger two years ago, I don't know, healthy Tiger two years ago. Having to take on those guys incredible. Yeah, just like crazy. All right, well we'll button it up.
Speaker 9: R of R.
Speaker 4: Good good tiing you keV. This was fun. This is enjoyable. Weather notes you got. I just I found Jack to be you know, we tend to think of him at pretty dry, but you know this was one you hear about from your dad and you hear about like I wasn't around. I didn't remember, like to Andy's point, just the amount of people who were coming at him, the amount of people like Bias. Terris was the favorite, Norman was a favorite at the start, Nikki Price was the favorite at the start of the day. You know, Lennard's this great defending champ at number one in the world, and Jack's like, you know, people are saying, I was at a USGA dinner like the week before, and they're asked him like essentially, when you're gonna stop playing? So you know, I'm not playing well and I'm not going to go out playing poorly. I'm not going to go out playing like embarrassing myself. I'm playing poorly. This is not how I'm gonna finish. And then like a week later he's shooting thirty on the back, nine sixty five on Sunday. I don't think it can really be over romanticized, quite frankly, or overhyped.
Speaker 6: Every sportswriter who's ever lived has covered golf has written some version of like in the Day Jack Nicholas, like puts you in a time machine and made you forget that we could you know, you could be forever young.
Speaker 3: It's funny. I don't have a memory of this.
Speaker 6: I was born late in seventy seven, and so you know, I'm nine years old at this point.
Speaker 3: I don't have like really any interest in golf whatever.
Speaker 6: But I got permission to tell this story. My father golf fan. My father kind of grew up kind of more blue collar. He was, you know, his father was was a history professor, but he also like worked as like a newspaper delivery guy.
Speaker 3: And like so my dad, like he in college, he worked in a cannery and stuff.
Speaker 6: He was like a he became a lawyer later in life, but he was he was kind of an aspiring reacher my mom. Her father was a doctor, and he they were kind of a bit more you knowuppercross at least for Montana's sake or whatever. And my grandfather is very proper person, you know, he like knew Shakespeare, and he was like he loved to play cribbage, and he was a more serious person. It's nineteen eighty six. Masters comes along and they're having I don't know if it's Easter dinner, because I don't think has happened on Easter, but it's like around then, it's like a holiday. And my parents are in Gray Falls, Montana, and dinner is being served like while the Masters is going on. And my grandparents, who liked golf, certainly didn't think that you would, like, you know, skip out on dinner to watch a golf tournament and certainly didn't grasp that like what Jack Nicholas winning the Masters would meant. And so my father is like being called to dinner repeatedly while the back nine run is going on, and he's sort of like putting off my my prim and proper grandparents and keeps kind of like making excuses to like go back into the living room and turn the TV on and stuff, and I think my mother was like from my dad's telling of it, was.
Speaker 3: Kind of mortified about the whole thing.
Speaker 6: And I just love the image of my dad being like, yeah, but like Jack Nicholas is winning the Masters, like sir, can we just like pause the asparagus and lamb that's being served here and I can go finish up this Masters pretty good.
Speaker 4: If there is any doubt about the greatness of this man inventory he said, yeah, there's everybody just there was the right Thompson essay that like got me into my first like when I was gonna cover my first Masters, and got me all fired up. I think it was probably about ten years ago now where you know about like his dad and came here, son, you're gona Jacks going about to win the Masters, and this would be the greatest day or story of your life. And that got me all fired up to go the mouth even though I was through I was two and a half. I was two almost three years. All the time, my dad was like a big golfer and then got into golf caddying, and Nicholas was from Ohio. Weiscoff was from Cleveland like they were. You would hear stories of him like watching this and and but that's all I had. Like the first Masters I remember watching my parents were like kind of the woozy and Ali and in the nineties early nineties, and this one you just are relying for me and relying on my dad. So watching it back was like just trying to think in modern media terms, how this would be covered. It would like it we just self combust between like the Norman issue, Sevy issue, the SEV fifteen as the best player in the world at the time.
Speaker 6: I mean this, dude, I think I told this in the when I joined Frida Egg. Like Rick Riley's game story about the Age six Masters is kind of a like part of my sports writing origin story.
Speaker 3: I didn't read it until ten years after it ran.
Speaker 6: But I was so like, kind of in awe of the way that the you could write a game story that good that would make you feel like you were reliving this event. I mean, it wasn't until the what was probably what six years ago or something that the Masters put these things up on the broadcast I think on YouTube where.
Speaker 4: You can watch the YEP.
Speaker 6: So I didn't watch the full accounting of this until, you know, twenty eighteen, twenty nineteen and my recollection or my memories of this are almost all entirely from reading print stories, like of reading that Jenkins story that I alluded to earlier, but he killed more foreigners than Eisenhower. Like it's just like that kind of shows you like how different it was, but how the power of print and the reason why I became a writer is because those written things are what kind of influenced me to get into this.
Speaker 4: Yeah, an incredible rewatch worth the time. It's three hours, which can take a while, you know, jump around, get in there. But there's so many, you know, nuggets, so many amusements. The broadcast is just hilarious in and of itself. I'm sure was you know, it's just it's forty years ago, so there's all sorts of different different vernacular, different technology, and then the greatest, you know, arguably the greatest major championship of all time. Anything else, any other amusements, nuggets you want to throw out there, total strays to unload the notebook. We don't need to end up from Stappy Jack quote, but we certainly can. Just to add to Andy's point, one of their great values of watching this are just the worst shots are the worst shots you've ever seen, and there's like a list of ten of them that you can pick from Snave on fifteen, peven Norman like four or five times, Lonner like it's just you miss you miss bad. So that's another like just interesting part of the watch. So yeah, I didn't like that the broadcast just one note on the broadcast went out with the mistake, but with Brent saying there he is hugging jack and Jackie hugging on the fifteenth green he has won the Masters again, and then it goes to faith to Black. It's of course on the eighteenth after they're walking off. It's just there's a lot of that stuff that people modern Twitter would go nuts about.
Speaker 6: So yeah, I mean I didn't have any other things really, and I mean I did a ranking of greatest hair.
Speaker 3: Because like I had number one.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Greg Norman like different best hair. I mean, so back then, you know a lot of golfers. Now you see him, they take off their hat and they're balding or whatever. It's probably because they've been wearing hats for twenty years whatever. But the locks were like incredible back then, So like I had longer at number five, but what an incredible like coy. Nick Price's hair is like a perfectly helmet. Tom Kite wears advisors. You can't really see it, but he had great hair. Corey Pavin's hair is incredible, and then Greg Norman's really is like it's the King. I don't know if you can put Jack in hair. Look, Jack has great hair too. It's just like how blonde and you know, kind of perfect hair to Norman and Nicholas have. It's kind of crazy that like that that level of blonde doesn't really exist for some reason, we've bred it out of the modern game everything.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I just love the lack of hats. That's such a neat thing.
Speaker 6: My guy, Calvin Pete finishes eleventh in this Masters is high. It's his best Master's performance ever. You know, Calvin had some real frustrations and issues with the Masters. You know, years prior he'd basically kind of detonated him after playing poorly here. He'd basically said, you know, how would you feel like if you came to a place where you didn't feel like you were welcome. I feel like I'm you know, I feel like a slave. I feel like I'm a second class citizen, and people just were like, whoa, like you nobody talks about the masters like this, and he kind of walked it back and was like, yeah, just in.
Speaker 3: The years later it was a bad mood or whatever.
Speaker 6: It's just like the crowd is cheering for him as he walks up eighteen and stuff, and then he takes his hat off and kind.
Speaker 3: Of waves it to the crowd.
Speaker 6: I mean, considering Augusta's history, pretty cool moment in eighty six. You know, we're still ten years away from Tiger, eleven years away from Tiger winning, and like the scene of all the workers in Augusta coming out to the veranda and clapping for him and stuff, but like kind of cool moments in racial history of like, I don't know that Augusta consider him say that we're they're proud of their history, but at least they've evolved over time, and I think now are thought of as like a pretty I think it was a pretty like of the Major's a pretty inclusive, pretty progressive place.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yep, I think that's fair point. That's fair point. He was there just that just one shot, essentially Pete finishing up on eighteen the top ten that the ventury quote I want to add when Norman's over, the body says, you're looking at a man who wins it outright or goes down the tent pole in a playoff. Neither of those would happen. So he added, My gracious, what a day had had? Just everything, And I'll close with what he said, It just everything seems to happen here, And that was the eighty six broadcast. Has never been a greater example of how it all just seems to happen, and felt like we got a similar thing last year in twenty five. All right, Kevin, this beefy flashback Friday Friday, thanks to Mercedes. I mean, pay my notes are like I just want to keep going through them. I got fifteen pages of notes. But this is fun.
Speaker 5: We got that work.
Speaker 3: Good job. I'm appreciate you. It work.
Speaker 4: We got to go to the Masters. We're going next week. Excited to get down there. Can't wait. We'll be providing coverage all week on site. Subscribe to the newsletter pods. Obviously you'll be humming. I can't wait.
Speaker 6: Got some good content coming too, if you if you're listening to this, there's a there's a big story that we're putting out today.
Speaker 3: In case we want to hold it back.
Speaker 6: I won't reveal what it is, but a big profile of a contender of the Masters, I think, so yeah, excited about that. I hope you'll, hopefully you'll go right from this pod to reading five thousand words about something that I wrote.
Speaker 4: So you should, you should be. I know people read less and less, but this is worth your time. It's a fabulous, fabulous piece of writing that you put put in the effort for UH to get you in the mood for next week for the Masters. Can't wait to get down there. We will talk to you guys on Sunday night, Monday morning, probably Sunday night, we'll have the we'll record Sunday, have the pod up Monday, Andy, who knows, maybe in Indianapolis or something, but we'll be. We'll be in augusta next time I'm talking to you, So I can't wait to get to it. Thank you guys for listening to this big flashback Friday edition on Shotguns. Start talk to you next week.