Speaker 1: Morning Run with Amy and TJ and iHeartRadio Podcast.
Speaker 2: Hello everyone, this is your.
Speaker 3: Morning Run for Thursday, July third. I'm Amy Robot.
Speaker 1: And I'm TJ. Holmes. We call it Thursday June. What was it July third? Yes, I guess forever. This is going to be known as the day after the Diddy verdict. Yes, came down. What a day we saw yesterday, and it has been declared a victory for Diddy in court yesterday, but he's still waking up behind bars today. He found out that he was not guilty on the three most serious charges he was facing, with the judge deny his bail until sentencing for his two lesser convictions. Will give you the very latest.
Speaker 3: Also on the Run this morning, it's the Houses turned now to work through tonight to try and get President Trump's Big Beautiful Bill passed by tomorrow's imposed deadline. And U Penn changed its transgender athlete policy, apologized, and woila. They are now one hundred and seventy five million dollars richer.
Speaker 1: Also this morning, seven people are missing and feared dead after a fireworks warehouse explosion in California. Also check your Oscar Mayer Turkey bacon in that fridge. Today, there is a massive recall to tell you about following a suspected lysteria contamination.
Speaker 3: And nine thousand Microsoft employees are being fired in the latest round of some major layoffs for that company. Plus we have an update on the beloved performer Red Panda, who's been wowing fans for decades at basketball halftime show as well. We're gonna tell you how she's doing and why and how she fell.
Speaker 2: Off her unicycle in the first place.
Speaker 1: Oh so, this morning, a major league pitcher just became the newest and one of the fastest ever to reach an elite club in baseball. And Chuck E Cheese for adults. Yes, the iconic brand is now banking on the fact that grown ups just want to have fun too. I'm all over this one.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, you and I both are. This is right up our Alex.
Speaker 1: How could you not? Lee just loved Chucky. It was a magical place as a kid.
Speaker 3: Oh and that to have the arcades, they're gonna we'll get into it, but they have all of these retro arcade games that you and I love. They say, if you loved a joystick in your day, you're gonna love Chuck's arcade.
Speaker 1: Do we still get the tickets?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: Do I think so? Yeah, they're trying to keep it retro all.
Speaker 1: The tickets where you need twenty thousand and you still only get a stick of gum that stuff. I love that. Man.
Speaker 3: When those tickets start coming out from this machine is the best feeling.
Speaker 1: In the world.
Speaker 2: It's like you hit the jackpot.
Speaker 1: Oh I kin. So we'll get into that store, but we are going to start in Lower Manhattan where it was all a buzz yesterday. Yes, the final day of the Ditty trial, and what a day it was. A mixed verdict brought a mix of emotions, especially for Sean Combs himself, whose lawyers declared the trial a victory of all victories for Diddy. He was found guilty of two of the five counts against him.
Speaker 3: Those two counts, transportation to engage in prostitution, were the lesser charges against him and carry a ten your maximum sentence. Prosecutors initially said they were gonna seek the maximum twenty years, but later told the judge the guidelines for sentencing put the number closer to four or five years. The defense team, meanwhile said it would ask for a sentence as low as twenty one months. Keep in mind, did he has already served nine months, so if that were the case, he'd only have another year.
Speaker 1: That is incredible. He went from facing life in prison to possibly being out in very short time now after avoiding convictions on the racketeering and sex trafficking charges. Did he hope he'd be getting out of jail? Actually yesterday on bail ropes the way this went yesterday, what the verdicts came down in the morning, they had a hearing at one where they submitted letters about bail, and then we had to wait until five o'clock to hear the judge's decision on bail. So in that four hour window, did he a lot of people, a lot of experts were out there saying he's probably gonna go home today, and they thought he might, so he certainly thought he was going to and his defense team, are you yes, it should be granted at this point offered up a million dollars bond, But that late hearing, the judge rules Ditty has not proven not to be a threat and not to be a flight risk, and should remain in jail until his sentencing hearing, which right now is scheduled for do I.
Speaker 3: Have it right, early October year, the Cotober third third, it was the date, but the defenses asking for that to be expedited, and that certainly may happen. The judge and the attorneys are actually scheduled to meet next week to hammer oute a possible plan to move up that sentencing date. Outside the courthouse yesterday, Diddy's lead attorneys spoke and called this a great victory for not just Diddy, but for the jury system, and even gave a nod to the citizens, those twelve men and women who serve on jurys.
Speaker 1: All right, continuing on the run here on this Thursday morning, and last night it was the House of Representatives turn to burn that midnight oil. They've been up all night and as of this recording, I am still watching debate happen on the floor of the House. They have been literally up all night in the House chamber debate and deal making.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 3: Specifically, at three point thirty am this morning, they took a key procedural vote that now allows Republicans to bring President Trump's major domestic agenda aka the Big Beautiful Bill, to the floor for a final vote.
Speaker 2: Now as of this recording.
Speaker 3: That vote was expected at some point this morning and certainly today because Republicans are still trying to meet President Trump's arbitrary deadline of July fourth. They're also trying to get the heck out of there for the holiday.
Speaker 1: And there was an issue getting some back. They had already been out of town, and there were some weather issues, some flight cancelation delays, so there was a struggle just to get everybody there. But the Republican margins are so thin that you need everybody back because they can only afford to lose three Republican votes for this thing to steal pass. But they are on track. Always dramatic on Capitol Hill, we shall see continue the run here now with the University of Pennsylvania school has been rewarded for doing what Trump told them to do. Their reward one hundred and seventy five million dollars.
Speaker 3: Yes, one day day after reaching that agreement with the Trump administration over its handling of transgender athletes, penn got a deposit into its account from the federal government to the tune of one hundred and seventy five million dollars in federal dollars to the school. That money to the university had been frozen in March by the administration.
Speaker 1: Why was it frozen because the school allowed Leah Thomas to compete. Thomas last competed four Penn in twenty twenty two and was the first openly transgender athlete to win a Division I title. Partner Education launched an investigation of Penn found the school had violated athletes' rights, and now the school is saying it agrees and will wipe out Thomas's records and titles, as well as apologize to the female athletes they say were quote disadvantaged all right.
Speaker 3: Next up on the run, Authorities say seven people are unaccounted for and feared dead following an explosion at a California fireworks warehouse this week.
Speaker 1: Now firefighters responded to the scene just as the warehouse exploded in a huge fireball, set numerous adjacent buildings on fire, spread to some nearly eighty acres. Wednesday, investigators were still trying to use drones to monitor hotspots in the area. Some folks who lived nearby had to be evacuated still haven't been able to return home, and by in the area, we're talking about a full mile evacuation zone.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was a serious and scary explosion and likely deadly. The fireworks company called Devastating Pyrotechnics, owns the warehouse. They said they're grateful for the quick emergency response from law enforcement, but that their focus is with their employees.
Speaker 2: Here's what they had to say.
Speaker 3: Our hearts and thoughts are with those we lost their families and everyone impacted in our community. Right now, the cause of this explosion is currently under investigation, but it was devastating and the aftermath is still something the community.
Speaker 2: Is dealing with.
Speaker 1: Yeah, to your point, and I stopped you on several I said, you cannot be serious if that's the name of the company, it just so happens to be.
Speaker 2: Called Devastating Pyrotechnics. I know that was ironic and awful.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I actually triple checked it because I wanted to make sure that actually was the name of the fireworks company.
Speaker 1: All right, we continue on the road, on the road, on the run. We do run a long road.
Speaker 2: Yes, sometimes it's bumpy.
Speaker 1: Well, this one, this is a We were doing a lot of food recalls, it seems like for a stretch of months to the point that we kind of backed off and had to discern which ones rose to a certain level this one does. This is a major, major recall involving more than three hundred and sixty thousand pounds of oscar Meyer turkey bacon that may be contaminated with Listeria bacteria.
Speaker 3: So far, no illnesses have been confirmed, but USDA officials are warning the company found potential listeria contamination in their laboratory testing. So this turkey bacon in question was produced from late April to mid June, and it's very likely in your refrigerator. It includes product ship to the US stores nationwide, So if you have oscar Meyer turkey bacon in the twelve ounce, thirty eight ounce, or forty eight ounce packages, you absolutely need to throw them out or you can return them to the store you purchased them.
Speaker 1: All right, complete list of the effect that products is on the CDC's website website. You have to remember the listeria can call serious illness even death in older adults, young children, pregnant women and their infants.
Speaker 3: And actually the CDC and the USDA, who are involved in this recall said they wanted to make this clear because of.
Speaker 2: What happened last year with poreshead. You mentioned the other recalls.
Speaker 3: This listeria outbreaks are serious and they spread quickly, and ten people died and that, so they're trying to avoid that by getting the word out about this tricky bacon. Next up on the run, another round of major layoffs for Microsoft. The company announced it is eliminating nine thousand jobs worldwide, the largest.
Speaker 1: Cut in staff since twenty twenty three, when it fired ten thousand workers. Earlier this year, Microsoft cut six thousand jobs, and around one thousand jobs were cut back in January as well. That six thousand cuts that was in May, thing had one thousand in January. Getting all these numbers right, So it's been quite a bit lately. The restructuring is hitting the Xbox gaming division of Microsoft the hardest, where two thousand workers were fired and entire studios have been shut down.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there were some long anticipated games that folks now say are never going to hit the Xbox, so a lot of folks are disappointed by this move. Microsoft says it's focusing now less on gaming more on artificial intelligence and what they call operational efficiency. A year ago, Microsoft employed two hundred and twenty eight thousand full time workers more than half of them are here in the US, but certainly their numbers are declining.
Speaker 1: All right, folks, stay with us here on this Thursday morning run when we come back. We got an update about that beloved NBA halftime performer who fell off her unicycle. Well turns out she did break a bone and it turns out her unicycle was broken as well.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 1: Explain Also, we saw something happen in Major League Baseball that only twenty other people have ever done in Major League Baseball. And ah, stay worse for this one, folks, chuck e cheese, not just for the kids anymore. We continue now on this Thursday morning ran I want to keep sending love to Red Panda, the beloved and longtime NBA halftime performer who took a tumble this week. We got an update on what happened and she confirmed that yes, she did break her wrist in that fall.
Speaker 3: It happened Tuesday night at the beginning of her performance at halftime of the WNBA game in Minneapolis between the Indiana Fever and the Minnesota Lynx. Red Panda, whose real name is Rongnu, rides a seven foot unicycle while balancing bulls on her arms and feet and then kicks the bowl up and balances them on her head.
Speaker 2: She fell off the.
Speaker 3: Unicycle at the start of her show and immediately grabbed her wrist. According to her rep, the wrist was severely broken and Red Panda spent eleven hours.
Speaker 2: At the hospital after the inn incident.
Speaker 3: She's going to need months to recover, but promises to be back and ready for next NBA season. But get this, her rep said that fall was actually caused because of a problem with the unicycle itself.
Speaker 2: It was somehow damaged in transit, and.
Speaker 3: They say in a statement that the fall was due to the left paddle, specifically of her unicycle being damaged. Also, by the way, this is the second time she's broken the exact same risk. She's been doing this since nineteen ninety three, and we certainly wish her a speedy recovery.
Speaker 1: Ropes, Yeah, that makes sense. The first thing I said, I said, she didn't even get to the bulls. It's like as soon as she got on the unicycle she came down. Something looked wrong, Like why did she just lose her balance? They're saying, now something was wrong with that unicycle. That makes sense to me now, But yes, we're all wishing her well. We'll turn from the NBA now to Major League Baseball, and we have a new member to an elite club in the MLB. LA Dodgers left hander Clayton Kershaw last night gave his home crowd a treat and they witnessed history as he became only the twentieth pitcher to record three thousand strikeouts. Happened in the sixth inning against the Chicago White Sox. And you know this guy is gonna go down in history. Vinnie Kapra. You don't know his name, but he's the guy who who was struck out. He was the number three thousand, So he'll go down to History's.
Speaker 2: Lucky Vinnie not so much.
Speaker 3: The game stopped, a standing ovation went on and on, and the Dodgers played a tribute video to Kershaw.
Speaker 2: They were ready.
Speaker 3: A future Hall of Famer who has played his entire career with the Dodgers. He's won the Cy Young Award, an MVP Award, a World Series, and is a ten time All Star.
Speaker 2: He's the twentieth to do it, yes, but he did it faster than most.
Speaker 3: He's the fourth fastest to reach three thousand strikeouts and only took him two thousand, seven hundred and eighty one and a half innings.
Speaker 2: Yes, but who was counting?
Speaker 1: Major League Baseball is serious about their yes records and their stats, so congrats to him. We're gonna get through this last one quickly because the Zarowack and I are literally being rained on as we are recording this right now. We're doing it outside. Didn't know if you all could tell with a little noise in the background, but we got to and for some better weather, and here we are getting rained on.
Speaker 2: Well it feels so good. I love the rain right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you say that until your Apple computer shuts it down because it's got rained on. Well, yes, final leg here. Sure we all love Chuck E Cheese as a kid, but how would you like to go to Chuck E Cheese one that's specifically designed for you now and adults? The famous kids entertainment chain is banking on the hope that grown ups like us like to have fun too by opening ten Chucks Arcade locations across eight states.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there are retro favorite games there like Miss pac Man, Mortal Kombat, Donkey Kong, and Sandy Pete.
Speaker 1: Ah.
Speaker 3: Doesn't that just take you right back along with some newer games like Jurassic Park. The new rollout features full menus, original artwork. Some locations are selling clothing and toys and candy alongside all the games.
Speaker 2: But this is cool, they say. No two locations are exactly alike.
Speaker 1: Each one's specific, all right, The company said, Chuck's Arcade is a natural evolution, an opportunity to extend our Arcade legacy into new formats that engage both lifelong fans in general and new generation through a curated mix of retro classics and cutting edge experiences. I applaud this.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: One of our favorite places to go in New York up the street called Recreation Bar. We love it because it has retro game it's so.
Speaker 3: Fun, and they have barcades around too, which is just a fun you know.
Speaker 2: It just takes you right back. But I looked up the closest.
Speaker 3: One to us is in Connecticut, so if you're up for a drive, we could check it out.
Speaker 1: I'm glad to do it, all right.
Speaker 3: So as you go about your day on this Thursday, we have your quote of the day for you today. This one comes to us from an American author named John C. Maxwell, And here is what he had to say, when was.
Speaker 1: The last time you did something for the first time? That is a wonderful thing to ponder today as you're just hey, take a moment, because it says a lot about you. It says about what you're willing to do, where your life is and what risk you're willing to take. Are you living in a monotonous way? Are you sat satisfied with the norm which is okay for some people, but that is just every day we should do something that we've never done before.
Speaker 3: I love this because it's just it's thought provoking and it challenges you to maybe think outside of your normal comfort zone and do something adventurous, do something fun, do something you didn't think you could do. I love this idea. So this quote of the day is a question for you to ponder as well. We'll give it to you one last time, when was the last time you did something for the first time? And with that, thank you for running with us on this Thursday. All the rain just stopped, but we.
Speaker 1: Can say that already we have done something today that we've never done before. We recorded an episode of Morning Run literally sitting in the rain.
Speaker 3: See check mark for us today. But we'll try to do a few more things we haven't done before. We hope you do too.
Speaker 2: I'm Amy Roeboch.
Speaker 1: And I'm TJ. Holmes. Folks, we'll see y'll soon