Speaker 1: Warning. Today's episode contains spoilers for the Mandalorian and Grogu. Be warned. Hello, my name is Jason Concepcion.
Speaker 2: Rosie Knight.
Speaker 1: I am welcome back to extur Vision of the podcast where we dive deep. It's your favorite shows, movies, comics of pop culture, Company from my Heart, where we're bringing you three episodes a week plus.
Speaker 3: News had Cool.
Speaker 2: In today's episode, we'll be doing a spoiler filled deep dive into The Mandalorian and Grogu, the first Star Wars movie since twenty nineteen, and then we will bring in some of our super producers for a roundtable discussion of the movie, and I'm sure it will get delightfully heated.
Speaker 1: All right, let's get into it. The Mandalorian and Grogu, the round table. Please, welcome to the program. Super producer Aaron, Super producer Joelle.
Speaker 4: How are you. I'm kind of excited to talk about this film, a film I had zero expectations for, left delighted with, and then came out with some very uh what I imagine will be polarizing opinions about the direction of Star Wars. I'm oh, I'm glad to hear what everybody.
Speaker 1: Thinks, let's first set the table.
Speaker 2: Yes, waitport commute.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah, I'm excited.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 5: I feel like there's a lot of times when I come in and I, uh, maybe have a little different opinion of a movie than everyone else, and I've been on the opposing side of things, and I came out of this movie and I was like, I enjoyed this and I'm worried no one else is going to and so x ray.
Speaker 2: Vision it's good. It's good and glassy of approval, guys on this one.
Speaker 1: Let me set the table. The picture is set to open memorially weekend. The projection look to be about eighty plus million, that's per deadline. And just to kind of set the stick, seventy four to ninety Slash Film says ninety to one hundred box office pro Polymarket sets the market at at thirty seven percent that it's below ninety two million. So that's where the betting lines are. And here are some important benchmarks. Solo is Star Wars story open to one hundred and three on a four day weekend. The rise of Skywalker and Solo is Star Wars story that was seen.
Speaker 2: As the lowest three big end of the Star Wars story spinoff ideas.
Speaker 3: It was bad.
Speaker 1: Rise of Skywalker won seventy seven point three, Rogue one one fifty five, and just some other stuff. Mission Impossible, Final Reckoning seventy nine million, seventy nine million, four Day and Leelo and Stitch of one hundred and eighty two Best Memorial Day ever. They get kind of the ceiling and the floor. Oh okay, Mana Lloyd and Grog Joelle your thoughts.
Speaker 4: Wow, what a fun ride. Remember when we found out there was gonna be like a holked out sexy hot Yes, we were gonna have at you guys, please. We found that there's gonna be a sex hut in the movie, and we were all very concerned. And then we found out that the sex hu was being played by Jeremale and White, and there were lots of questions. And I have to say, at the end of the day, Big Brother sex Hi, Wow, really nailed it. Really for the monster girlies, y'all, y'all.
Speaker 2: The hot fine, she loves Listen.
Speaker 4: I here's why I like her. Out of the Hut. I have multiple thoughts about this one. I does this not flesh out job of the Hut as a character? A little bit for you, and isn't that an amazing thing? I agree these additional Star Wars stories can do for us. Is like fill in Backhan and love that too. If there's anything Grogunes, it's that big brother energy. Okay, here's a little guy taken on full blown missions. Okay, the guy him in armor, he's a child soldier. For the love of God, it's not great out here. Here's a guy who's just like, nah, kid, you can sleep and snack and be a kid. That's amazing. I love that for Grogu.
Speaker 3: Sorry.
Speaker 4: I think the limitations of Rada make him a really interesting character because he's a big CGI character. He stays behind a lot and acts as like an anchor as a big D and D player. I like when there's like a sort of formulated strategy role for every fighter in your party and the fact that Rada is your anchor and just holding down the foregat. That really worked for me. At first time he's like, oh no, he's not able to do much. And when he's fighting in the pigaddamn, that was thrilling. I think Rada works as both a lure further into the story and for possible futures of like where the story could go. When we go get back into our animated bag, you'll be able to do a lot more with Rada, So I found him interesting overall. You know, I really enjoyed this movie. I thought it was fun. I'll get into it more a little later, but I think the be a step of this do I mean, you know, back in the day, you have your A film play, then you have your B film play. Your A film is what brought people in your B film maybe say around it's kind of horror. A lot of Star Wars is based on sort of these like be campier films, and I think that this movie plays into those tropes quite well, and I had a lot of fun watching.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So recently, for the first time ever, the truly original theatrical cart of Star Wars has been shown right at the BFI, and people said they were pretty blown away by just how minimal the effects are and how jang it looks in hindsight, because it was originally a low budget movie that was then you know, reevaluated because it was such a huge hit and it was just spoke to people. So I think in that way as well, like remembering that not like not every Star Wars piece is like a generation movie, is a generational, life changing masterpiece, as much as we might want it to be. Now, Wh're you know, ten movies deep, and I think we can say that they're a bit more inconsistent. I think the b movie of it all is what I enjoyed too, Aaron, what about you.
Speaker 5: I think that the movie starts off and I was thrilled to see that everything we'd seen clip wise it felt like it had come from those first fifteen minutes and it was like, Okay, it's very surprising, bigger movie than I was expecting. I think I had low expectations going in, and it definitely unlocked a lot beyond what I was expecting. I think there were some things that felt too foloniesque and that he's just he can't help but reference the past and be so tied to the past of Star Wars, and that was some of the stuff that I disliked the most. But for me, the big winner and the thing that I'll talk about later for sure, the score of this movie was incredible to like the Gang, this is I think his greatest score ever, Like I wow, yes, and like we can talk about it later more. But I think that adds like if we're rating this out of ten, that gives it an additional one to one and a half stars for me because of how amazing this.
Speaker 2: I do think it is like a vangelist doing Blade Runner level score, Like there are moments when they are in these futuristic cities and you hear the soundscapes that Ludwig creates and you are just like, wait, I'm watching like history, Like I'm watching a moment that people will remember.
Speaker 3: It is really cool.
Speaker 1: I completely agree with you with that. I need to process if I agree with his best score ever, but I will say it's eighties in the best way, yes, And you can feel these like homages to different like horror and sci fi and action movies within it, and at the same time it's like not derivative, you know.
Speaker 5: So he must have had a blast writing this. Just listening to every line he's writing, it really is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I knew.
Speaker 2: I just don't think you could. I think the Black Panther score is like so legendary. I just think it's like hard for me to compare it. But at the same time, I do think that at multiple times throughout this, me and Ian and even me and my younger nephew who was there. We looked at each other and we're like, oh my god, Ludwig. Like it was standing out in a way that John Williams stands out or Han Zima stands out. It did feel like you were listening to even if you don't like the movie. I don't think anyone's gonna say the score isn't incredible, you know.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, And like he took a lot of risks that I was worried about. When certain pieces started, I was like, Oh, is this is he really? And then I've settled into it and I was like, Wow, the way he's incorporating the theme into this, the way he's incorporating three notes from the.
Speaker 3: Theme into this.
Speaker 5: I mean, I think the score just that that has more than any other movie I've seen in the last few years. The score just blew me away on first watch.
Speaker 1: Can I can I push back slightly on I think the score is amazing. Yeah, I do think as a as a film score buff I do believe that there is like a sweet spot where if you notice the score, it's either too good or terrible. Okay, true, And I do think that I think that this this is one of those scores that like elevates the movie in the way that like, uh, you know Morricone's Untouchables, Like yeah, like that elevates that movie. John coppinha it almost makes me feel like the score is a little too good for the movie.
Speaker 2: But I agree with you.
Speaker 1: I think that I think that it's a mark.
Speaker 2: I think it's.
Speaker 1: Sixty verse forty percent. Yes, I was just saying exactly versus forty, Like the movie is not at the level of the score, but it's a good movie.
Speaker 2: It should be like fifty two. The score is incredible.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, this is nit picking.
Speaker 3: It's a good movie, but no, no, but.
Speaker 2: I think you actually touched on something really special here. You know what else I think is about the soundtrack that I'd be interested to know if you guys agree with I kind of feel like, you know, Ludwig has done so many incredible movies and they are some of the biggest movies in the world. So it's not like he's unknown, right, but he is known for kind of experimental stuff. He's known for working with Ryan Coogler. That's what he's best known for. This does feel like essentially a portfolio work for him, because you get these like incredible synthy eighties, like you could be working on a blade run a TV show, you could be doing afrofuturism, you could be doing dystopia. But then also, and this is something we haven't really touched on that I think is part of why I love the movie, and I think why a lot of us enjoyed it, which is the practical stuff. When he starts doing the Grogu's doing magic in the forest and you haven't seen a human for ten minutes, He's doing like John William's fucking level magical, classical composing that makes you feel like you are watching Dark Crystal, like you are watching Legend or Willow for the first time. So I think, like the absolute range that he shows here, it also does probably explain why for some people the movie feels a little bit of a lot of tones, because as you we're.
Speaker 5: Describing a lot of tones, I was gonna say, like, let's give the movie a little bit trouble that his score is able to do all those things, because the movie does hit a lot of different moments. You have for a movie where I feel like, frankly, I only cared about three characters to have so many different vibes throughout works. It well three if you count all the Bible fricks.
Speaker 2: As well well Vanza yeah.
Speaker 1: Obviously, obviously, Okay, let's let's sorry, go ahead, eron no no, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: So it just hits so many different things.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about our three favorite things from the movie. Any three favorite things, Rosie, Let's start with you. What are your three favorite things about this movie?
Speaker 2: The baby? Obviously, baby, the baby. You know what, there was a great tweet that everyone's been sharing, and it's the video of the baby on the red carpet and a guy sorry to this man that I don't remember his handle, but he says, he's like, I don't know what it is. Man, I should be sick of him, but he's still got it. And that's how I feel about the baby. Like, but they created something so enchanting, with so much personality, and it is showcased at all times in this This is not your you know, even though I was a kid when I saw this, so I thought it was pretty cool. But this is not like Yoda doing backflips with a lightsaber. Everyone's going to be like, why did you do that with the character. We worried it was gonna be a bit like suddenly the baby has to drive a car, he's going crazy, But it's very much an understanding of exactly what makes the character lovable. Like this movie has some crazy action sequences that my nephew sitting next to me said, the man Laurian might be the most badass mother. He didn't swear because he's a good boy in the world. But you know what his favorite scene was. His favorite scene was the scene where baby Yoda armors up and is like putting on their own Like even a twelve year old, even a kid who's going into puberty, who does love the shooting, who does love the nineties action vibes, the thing that moves them is this creature because it feels like you're seeing something that you couldn't see in real life. You know it, but it feels real, And I think that's the magic of cinema. So definitely that the Anzaliens. I think all the sequences where it's just puppetry, like, I think there is a five star movie here that could be seen as like a Dark Crystal level success. I also will recognize Dark Crystal is a huge financial flop at the time. We've never had a big puppeteering movie that's really made a lot of money like that that wasn't also heavily cgi like Jurassic Park, but like it is so magical and like there are those moments in the forest where the baby's sitting and he's meditating and the Anzalians are talking. There were like full throated, whole movie theater laughs, like but not like, oh it's a quippy Josh Whedon thing you're meant to laugh at. Just people literally like unable to contain their laughter because the performance with the puppets is so funny and so lifelike. That stuff, to me is what elevated this movie to where I think it's worth all of us having a round table talking about where we like it because everyone else, you know, other people don't like it. And a lot of times I'll be like, well, maybe it's just not for me, but I think that is truly magic in those scenes. So yeah, all the practical stuff. And also, you know what, Pedro Pascal, he's still great in this movie. He reminds you why you love him. Him and the baby have absolutely great chemistry. They keep the dad stuff just enough on the side where you want a bit more of it, like it's cute. They don't overplay it. And I do think even though rot of the Hut was not particularly for me, I think again, Pedro really his emotional side came out to look off the Rota, and I loved, like even I loved the moment where he said to the baby, go get Rotta, like, go save him. I love a found family, you know, so, so I think really it's I could Pedro be the one human I would allow in this movie if I did my version, which is just all puppets. But I actually don't think you need any humans. I think that Dave Filoni wants to make a puppet movie and we.
Speaker 4: Should let him.
Speaker 2: And then he won't put himself in it three times because he won't be a poonty, because he he'll make himself a puppet.
Speaker 4: They'll wear the hat too.
Speaker 1: Definitely, Joelle, your your top three favorite things?
Speaker 4: Yeah, piggybacking off of the baby, the babies. We got a hot baby who was super cute. Who if you watch Clothes Doors, you've seen Runda before when he was a little baby. You know, he made me get a Rodian baby, which is a Gredo's species. At one point in the show so cute. Please continue to make more alien babies and put them in movies for me to be like, oh my god, they're so cute. Really genuinely had a good time with all of the creature work. To expand out from there. I think my favorite was the swamp gator alien who I'm sorry I don't be able to find. Yeah, yeah, what species he is? But I thought like, he's just really fun. I love a bayou moment. It doesn't matter like sci fi actually in w Orleans. Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he just catfish guy.
Speaker 4: He kind of absolutely yeah. I thought he was divine, just just from a creature work, design aesthetic like, I thought he was an excellent character. Add on and three, I really liked when Mando was knocked out and we get suspended so much time with Grogu just navigating the world like we see our boys growing up. He could create a shelter. He doesn't have good depth yet. Okay, he's figuring it out. There were some knocks on the head, but he tried. I love that he like disobeyed orders to stay behind. He's like, absolutely not. We are a family unit. You could try to sacrifice yourself I'm not gonna let you. I just thought that whole sequence of him surviving protecting Mando as far as like, what is this movie doing for this portion of the franchise?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 4: Like, I was really nervous when they were like those are gonna be TV series and then we smashed it into a movie. I was like, Oh, this is gonna be a mess, or it'll feel too much like a TV show. They're just trying to project in a movie theater. But actually, for my money, and I know not everyone agrees, but I thought this was like a really great arc for these two characters. It was simple but clean, and what it really reinforces is like, not only are these guys like family and together, but like Grogu's growing up into a Mandalorian and it's like a little bit of thing to watch, I think, because there's still this anticipation of he's so connected to Yoda, and I feel like he became more Grogu and like just Grogo.
Speaker 1: He doesn't use the falsest much, so is he richly like growing up when we say growing up, So like one hundred two hundred.
Speaker 4: Time I thought he was gonna speak, I thought he'd a word in this movie.
Speaker 2: He had said that too. We thought he was gonna maybe and.
Speaker 4: It was giving Like Yoda in his most like meditating space, I was like, oh, will he'd be meditating in the swamp and like finally start to speak. I'm okay that he didn't. I do think one hundred and fifty issues when we'll start to see you, like, you know, if we're gonna be like doing human years like a ten or eleven year old Grogu who can like speak and have his own thoughts and all of this stuff. But uh, his growth here was delightful. I think he's coaching toddler stage and it's nice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yoda was like eight hundred nine hundred, that's what are yours?
Speaker 3: Again?
Speaker 4: So say the babies, I would say the creature work, and then I would say the just the entire sequence of grom Aaron.
Speaker 3: The score number one, number two. I loved the continuation and.
Speaker 5: Evolution of Mando and Grogu's storyline and their growth. I absolutely lost it at I'm gonna I'm like gonna lose it saying it again at the young or the old take care of the young, and then the young take care of the old. I thought that was the best like use of this is the way in a in a new element that we haven't seen in previous you know, iterations of that phrase. So that was you know, we got some fun stuff like Joel was mentioning with Grogu hidding his head like over and over again. Then we got like the incredibly sweet him like getting in under his arm to fall asleep kind of thing. So like, I loved that whole section and that segment, and I think that I felt like a lot of this move that. My third thing is that this movie wasn't too goofy and silly while still being what I would say is a kid's movie.
Speaker 3: Like we we didn't have three or four jokes about Grogu wanting to eat something.
Speaker 5: We got two and like or maybe it was three, but it didn't feel like there were too many of those jokes, like any.
Speaker 4: Fart jokes or anything like that. Yeah, that's a really good point. It does stay pretty grounded.
Speaker 2: Even Rota, he's not traditional like usually that could have been a comedic side character with thoughting and aha and he's so dumb, but instead they went for like emo side character, which I just am so intrigued by still to this day.
Speaker 3: Intrigued is interesting word. Yeah, so that would be my third one. Yeah, what about you, Jason, I'm gonna go with in no order.
Speaker 1: First, the decision to split up the spoiler spoiler spoilers player. The decision to split up Mando and Grogu arcs correct. I think it's I think it it showed that, first of all, these characters are not gonna be together forever this you know, Grogu's for another eight hundred plus years. And it shows that even in at baby level, you can have these characters do different things. They don't always have to be together. And I was a little like worried about that. And you know, there's been a lot of criticism about this movie, but it's like, Okay, this is it. It's a it's a three episode arc, like it's the what are we learning that's new? Not really that much. I think the one thing that's really subtly the most important is that, like, you don't have to have these characters together all the time. You can go have Grogu do adventures on their own without without Mando kind of looming. Next, I will say I did, I mean, I love the I thought the I thought the Enzellones were great, like this is so too, you know, very adjacent to grow. But like all of their stuff together was fun. All of them riding around together was fun.
Speaker 2: In the tiny ship that wouldn't fit, it's such a sight gag. It's funny.
Speaker 1: It's like the practicalness of it was the right amount of rough verse polished, you know, like there was like an almost fraggle rock.
Speaker 4: Yes, it was vibe in a good in a good way. Like it wasn't graverly smooth.
Speaker 2: It didn't.
Speaker 1: You don't it's not like you see the seams in the puppet. But you also feel like there's a tactile on this and a kind of homemadeeness to.
Speaker 4: It that was just.
Speaker 1: And I mean, I gotta say, I like.
Speaker 2: Roda was fun.
Speaker 3: I enjoyed Rada.
Speaker 1: I enjoyed, I enjoyed, I enjoyed buff Ratta. I thought, like, there's another character that like we're gonna you talk about like a future good guy in the universe or great guy or something. Rada against his like family legacy of like gangsters, or is he going to be like a new republic something. What is Rada's like future arc is really fascinating to me.
Speaker 4: He was very fun.
Speaker 1: I thought the action scenes were with him were so much more than I was expected.
Speaker 2: True, that's true, and.
Speaker 4: And that's primate.
Speaker 1: Those are the three reasons honestly why this movie worked for me.
Speaker 2: Okay, all of those things I do want to say, I look what I'm an emo kid. I love Emo, I love the concept. I love both of what you enjoy Ela saying. But there were moments and it where for me the writing was like so on the nose that I was like, Okay, it does feel a little bit like an SNL sketch, like they pushed it a little bit that way. But I think also for kids, like they like that character, like I'm not a us to putting like a cool cgi muscles.
Speaker 1: It's Filonian Favreau, you know what I mean? Like this is not like it's not fucking uh David mammontt and Scorsese out here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah it was.
Speaker 1: It was exactly what I expected. And and honestly, shouts to the performers. Brought so much pathos two to your point and performance emotion to dialogue that's like okay, you know, like it's not like you're ever like whoa, you know, like there was the one line, which was they nailed that, and they had to nail that the young take care of the old.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's your big like emotional you had, you had to nail that one. I do it was it was just one scene, so I don't I didn't want to use it as a whole thing, but I do want to do a big shout out now Jason did uh you know, accuse me maybe of a Max Max sing because I was like five. I was like, I rose away from the cinema screen and it was a trimax. But I do want to shout out. I know. There was a lot of critiques about how this would look just like the TV show, but there were a couple of moments, especially the opening sequence where the attap falls down the side of the cliff. Yeah, me and Isaiah and Ian like we felt like we got wobbly knees. It was like we felt that we were gonna tip forward like that. To me, there were a couple of those moments that really argued for what the scope of a Star Wars movie can be again in a way we haven't seen for a while. Ironically made me think of Solo in the opening train heist scene, so it's just like, I think that is actually a lot of what I've missed is like it's been incredible to see the quality of a Bryce Dallas Howard Mandalorian episode, but it is incredible to see a two story tall at ap fall in front of you and take like a bunch of other vehicles with it. There's scope there that that I think was made it worthwhile.
Speaker 4: Sorry, he's the magic of Jon Favreau. And we must now pause here to talk about this man as a director, because I really feel like as much as this is clearly Dave Filoni's baby and he's put a lot of stuff into it, I think what really sells this movie if you think back on John's filmography, you know, I think particularly Elf kind of stood out as a complex and this is like an Elf met iron Man, right, Like you're having incredible action sequences, but it's also so charming and warm, but then you're in.
Speaker 2: The physical comedy, very hilly. Yeah, also scary at times because there has to be steaks.
Speaker 4: It's almost really Stillbergian like, it's almost.
Speaker 2: That's definitely moments of amy at.
Speaker 4: Moments, and I just to me, I always feel like I'm missing those moments when I'm in a movie house nowadays, I love a good explosion. Don't get me wrong. I love heavy drama. I think we have all of that in spades. But the amber glow warmth of a good, whimsical, all ages movie, it's rare and difficult to find even, you know, if I think about like the action Mowana, you know, a fine movie, but not doesn't leave you with like the warm and tingly. It's like, after this, I was like, I must go another. Yeah, yes, speak for yourself there, but yeah, that's right. It's for many people.
Speaker 2: No beef, no beef, I know, I know what you mean, Like, this is the kind of movie that even and I was this person. I have almost a full size BB eight still in my house, so I have been targeted before, you know, but like I, I have not been that person for a while. Especially working in the industry, it's easy to get kind of disillusioned and cynical about these corporations. I definitely left thinking like I need a fucking babyyod in my house, Like I need that shit in my house. Yeah, and it will make me happy to see him and to think about how brave he is and how strong he is and how he's so sassy and he just does his best times. I do have to ask you guys the questions. Yes, did the end of the movie is that the New Republic committing like a genocide on the Hats because they do like destroy the entirety of Nallah conversation character. I just need to know, I say, to know, I seed to know.
Speaker 4: I just want I'm like, I'm like, is that because they are a crime syndicate and I would like a race.
Speaker 2: It's more like just that specific family.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's what they're just taking out of crime syndicate. And that's okay, let's take a break.
Speaker 1: And then we'll be back with more and to learn group obversations.
Speaker 3: Okay, we're back. So we love the movie like to Love.
Speaker 1: I would say I'm between like and love with a with a lean, heavy lean towards love.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, it's a fun time. It's a movie that this is a movie that if we were in the cable era when I was a kid, this movie would be on one of the cable channel TVT this is fifty times a week, and you would you would just watch it whenever you happen to see.
Speaker 2: If you are a parent, you will be watching this movie a lot on Disney Plus. I mean, I knew instantly when they entered the forest that that sequence of Grogu and the Azaliens, that like twenty five minute sequence that's gonna be like a new thought picking up I mean Captain America picking up thoughts hammer like a scene I just put on when I want to hype myself up for twenty minutes, like I will watch that when I want to feel whimsical or make that feeling of willow or or space or like imagination, feeling that like little feeling you get of like oh, anything's possible. Like that is cinema magic. Like I wish it could have been through the whole movie, but I feel lucky we get even a little of it, because a lot of movies just don't have that nowadays.
Speaker 1: So let's talk about I would like to talk about the Dave Filoni appearances.
Speaker 3: Of course you do.
Speaker 2: Come on, let's start off.
Speaker 1: What percentage too much do you think it was? I'm gonna say it was.
Speaker 2: I think it's two thirds.
Speaker 1: I think it was at fifty to sixty percent too much Dave Filoni in this movie on camera.
Speaker 4: I'm saying too how much I'm gonna go eighty percent too much. Here's the thing, here's why, here's why, and it's not it's not a hate thing. I was talking about it this Morning's Dave Saloni. And again with full third of respect, because what you've done for Star Wars. I mean, yes, I so because I say we tattooed I you are not a performer. You're not an actor.
Speaker 2: You're not.
Speaker 4: That's a real craft that takes a lot of effort to do, and you are just you're still in the early stages of your directing career, like live action directing. You're a great writer, you have deep IP knowledge. I think you are good for Star Wars, genuinely. I don't think that David is a performer. And I think when you have an assassin Joid, who's going to be playing, you know, not the most significant role, but pretty important role throughout the film, hire an actor to do the stuff. Let that that is a cool, freaking character who looks amazing, is having fun. You at the bar with your hat on is perly respect?
Speaker 3: No, No, it's not.
Speaker 4: Watch Karen, wherever you go, keep going. I just don't think.
Speaker 2: Taking these role specific cameos I think the issue is also Aaron like tell me if you agree, but like also like it's not the percentage feels higher because the they are very obvious cameos.
Speaker 5: Yes, there's also only like eight human faces in the entire movie. He's like three of them, which is just like kind of weird. I mean, the hat is so iconically him that it just stood out even I mean that was like I just shook my head when that he came back in the end.
Speaker 3: Yes, what are we doing?
Speaker 2: My big issue with that one too, It's like that was a close up. It feels it's whole based on the ie.
Speaker 1: It's like if Figy was in a Marvel movie with the blank baseball hat, you gotta give me at least an attempt to be visually a different.
Speaker 2: Okay, wait, Avon, you might you might be too young to get this reference, so don't worry if you are. But Jason and Joel, how upset do you think, Robert Rodriguez is that Dave Filoni became the more famous cowboy hat wera because honestly, it really hasn't taken over, like he's taking it over.
Speaker 1: Well, it's not even a cowboy hat. First of all, it's more like a safari hat like it's it's more like a like crocodile hunter crocodile kind of Yes, that's.
Speaker 4: What it speaks to.
Speaker 1: More to me and who I agree with Joelle. It's here's my line, and my line is I have several lines that I feel like mister David crossed. The first is and I said it a little bit in our you can only play one character in your movie individual, you can't play two? Yeah, too much, okay, because first of all, as you I'll mentioned, first of all, you are taking a role away from a working actor.
Speaker 2: Like a literally actor who could get paid two.
Speaker 1: Now you are taking two roles away from two working actors.
Speaker 4: And and the fact that.
Speaker 1: It's both a voice acting and a live action roles is kind of It's just kind of crazy. And and while it did not impact my enjoyment of the film, I did find myself like when he comes back at the end, I was like a little embarrassed for him.
Speaker 2: I rolled my eyes when he showed off as the pilot.
Speaker 4: It's a little soon now, it's too much.
Speaker 2: Just be excited to see Sigourney weave a fly an X wing without seeing your face signature on it that huge Aaron how much?
Speaker 1: What percentage?
Speaker 3: Too much?
Speaker 1: Dave Filoni in this movie?
Speaker 3: Was it for you? I mean I didn't need any of him he worked on the movie behind the scenes, than I didn't need.
Speaker 1: His vision, and I can see that I didn't either, But like I appreciate because of what he's done for this I and these characters, like, sure, you know you're gonna take a liberty, that's fine, but like, did I need him? No?
Speaker 4: I didn't need.
Speaker 5: I'm trying to formulate a thought and I don't know if I truly agree with this, but I think about like stan Lee. Whenever stan Lee was in a Marvel movie, he was a joke. He was there quickly, he was there for comedic relieve and we move on. He never Stanley was never trying to be cool in his cameos, and I feel like Dave is trying to be cool.
Speaker 1: Okay, now these characters talking about let's talk about it.
Speaker 2: Jason saying one of.
Speaker 1: Dave's characters is a six foot six like cool looking brownie hunter.
Speaker 3: With trying to be kung loud with the hat, trying to be kung loud.
Speaker 1: With the hat, and then the second Dame Filoni live action character is named what is a trapper trapper wolf and is and is wearing the cool guy hat and.
Speaker 2: Is a stone ass name. Man, come on, you can make like the cool that's illegal.
Speaker 4: I just think it's too much.
Speaker 1: It's just sorry, Okay, I agree with you, Erin. I think that there's an I think there's an attempt to be cool that makes this more cringe worthy than even it would be Joelle, sorry you no, no.
Speaker 4: No, You're speaking truth to power and we need to hear it. I listen. So after walking out of this movie, I was buzzing. I was having a good time with cha hating my friends. I was like, this feels strangely like a return to form for Star Wars. I mentioned to the top of this feels like we're getting back to the og kind of like original trilogy Star Wars.
Speaker 2: With realization, B movie, silly space.
Speaker 4: Accessible to everybody, like kills are like mostly against creatures, Like.
Speaker 2: Well, we're homework, Isaiah had no homework.
Speaker 4: You do not need to know anything going in. All of that is really great. And you know, coming off Mall, which I was not a fan of. But again, I think it's okay because I think Star Wars is for the kids. That's where I'm at, guys, and I think Dave Felony understands.
Speaker 2: That and act so they're gonna be more open to it.
Speaker 4: Did enjoy Mall it hit with them? I think this is going to hit with them. So usually take your kids this weekend if you guys have time and you know a theater that's accessible to you. It's just such a good time. And I think the Ryan Gossling vehicle coming up is going to solidify like what the direction is we're going with Star Wars. I'm hoping that's still all ages accessible, but a little more mature than.
Speaker 2: What we got kid here, So fingers crossed.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Like buying that balance is going to be really important. But I think Dave Filoni might be good for Star Wars, guys, And I mean that beyond you know, I know it's been a rough transition from the animated to the live action. There's a learning curve there. He did not come from live action. That's a really hard weap to make. But when we get down to like brass tacks of like what is Star Wars? What makes Star Wars good? Where does it hit? How do we keep it going long, Jefty wise, this is a guy who cares so deeply, not just about his own creations, but about like the deep lore of this series. You know, I think, like I was saying earlier, like Rada is not a new character. Rada comes from the Clone Wars. So like, I just think, if you're the kind of person who always like deep lore and connecting. In other words, a Star Wars fan, Day's gonna keep that going for you. And it makes me excited. I think he figured it out and with John Favreau at his side, sort of helped smooth over the like live action situation. My heart hopes they have it. I think they got it.
Speaker 2: I also do want to say I think that some of I think another reason to go check this movie out is I think some of the critiques that even we had about how the movie and the TV show look really similar. After watching the Lanterns trailer today, I realized that this actually might be a recurring issue where these studios are putting so much money into these TV shows that the TV shows are looking equivalent to what we would see in a cinema, but it's not the same experience, And then that makes people feel like the cinema experience is being cheaper, and that is why I'm starting to wonder, because actually there is stuff in here that looks great in the cinema, but it is arguably very similar to what we see on TV, right And I saw with the Lanterns trailer there was stuff in there where I was like that shit looks like the c doa Man like and it's but I can see it's also expensive, but it also looks just as good as Superman. So it's like, how do you work this? It's the thing of wanting to raise TV to the quality of film, but not necessarily understanding if that would change people's perception of what film is. This is an early take.
Speaker 3: I think that there is a thing.
Speaker 1: I think there is a thing we're seeing David Klein, who is the cinematographer of a bunch of Mandalorian episodes in a bunch of TV and is the cinematographer man Lauren Gurgu. You know, he's taking his marching orders from from uh Favreau. So I don't want to act like this is a dig against him. My feeling on Favreau movies is they're always too well lit, a great too smooth. They're just I can see everything, and I don't need to see everything, like every I can see all the way to the back of the of the scene, and I don't necessarily need that all the time.
Speaker 4: Definitely. I think about like the.
Speaker 1: Original Trilogy, like the deep shadows in so many of those scenes, the way the dark and the light were hard contrasted, and that's just not Favreau's thing. You think of Iron Man, you think of Elf, it's kind of like very very well lit, brightly lit scenes. That's so all of which is to say, I think that there is a kind of cross pollination between like TV lighting and traditional movie lighting, and there's this kind of cross pollination going on where to your point, I think TV looks way better than it ever did you know when we were growing up watching TV, And that has influenced because there's so many people now coming up through the TV pipeline movies and coming back and doing TV. I think it's influenced the way just video writ large looks, and I don't know if it's always for the better of fireways.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just no. I love that actually, because this is a very realistic truth about technology and television. Because also there is just unexpected responses and emotional reactions that humans have to different kinds of ways things look right. So do you remember like when they made everything HD and suddenly watching like Days of Our Lives and it looks like you're in the room with them and it's really surreal, and it's like it doesn't feel like you're watching TV anymore because it's too clear. Right, So when they were making HD, they could never have conceived that that would be a lot of people's reactions to it and it would change the experience. So I also think that that cross pollination. They couldn't really see how it would make people maybe reconsider certain films, not all films obviously, but I do think it's interesting because also that you know a lot of people it looks like a streaming movie. It looks like a movie that would go straight to streaming on Netflix. Did it well, Yeah, because it cost I don't think that. I think it does have a higher quality, but it cost one hundred and thirty million dollars. That's actually a lot of Netflix streaming movies too. So we're in a weird kind of cycle now with it.
Speaker 1: Let's end with this What the fuck happened? To the super Bowl trailer, Like, this movie looks.
Speaker 4: Good, there's great action scenes in it.
Speaker 1: How is it just that the CG render was like that late and they didn't have enough to hearing make a good I'm gonna tell you when was it ninety months before the movie? And I and that was the thing, like, if this is the lowest debuting Star Wars property over a four day weekend, it is partially because of the absolutely shit rollout of this film. Yeah it happened.
Speaker 2: I agree. I so I from what we've read and like from what we've had, they actually thought that was gonna be like a huge hit, Like they just thought it was gonna bang for people. I don't even think. I don't know why they didn't just release a thirty seconds one shot of that opening fight scene. People would have lost their minds by your tickets now or whatever, But like it just blows my mind, Aaron, what do you think, Like, how did they end up with that concept?
Speaker 5: I don't know, because I had one of my questions was before this movie where they worried about people not caring about Mando and Grogu anymore. Was that something that like they felt like, oh, we had this ground swell of approval rating for Grogu at the end of season one, like he was the most profitable piece of you know, merch for any Disney property.
Speaker 3: Like I don't know that for sure.
Speaker 5: I'm just like brainstorming that out, but yeah, yeah, Heed. I wonder if they were worried about his appeal at this point because season three didn't do particularly well, or because Bookabobaet didn't do particularly well, and it maybe feels like they spent the marketing time just to remind you, like, hey, these two are cute together. Don't forget about this. Like, look, there are these two people riding uh, you know.
Speaker 2: The but me and Ian were literally like, how did they not cut a good trailer from this movie? I could caught a banger trailer for you guys.
Speaker 4: You guys, let me tell you. Here's what happened. There was a marketing meeting and they were like, we're gonna partner with somebody for the Super Bowl. And they're like, oh my god, you guys, we got the clients. Ste horses. It's America's favorite. They're on this. They've been in the Super Bowl for decades. It's always Clydesville Horses. It's one of the commercials people look out for. And now Mandu gro we did it. That's amazing. That was full stop. Their first thought on that too. I think if we had seen Rada and again I loved this movie. Does not look good in some scenes. No faces in.
Speaker 1: General look weird and.
Speaker 4: Chara to one of these, don't think you. I honestly think they were like, we cannot show this extremely main character definitely that much, or there's going to be the discourse that we I mean, we just got a punisher one line killed in that fall is all anybody can talk about. When the CG is bad, there's going to be conversations. And for Disney, who's doing layofs around that time, it's not a great time to be like pushing out your bad cgs.
Speaker 5: Okay, but respectfully pushing back on that entirely. The commercial doesn't feature the horses. It features CGI tantons.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, they're.
Speaker 5: Worried about the CGI. They just highlighted the CGI with the characters that were not in the movie itself. They made them specifically for that Super Bowl.
Speaker 4: Correct. I say, the marketing people respecting the idea of Clydesdale's, but it's the star Wars makeover of it, like that was the max of their thought was the top of their thought was this is commercial and they did Star Wars. We mashed them together. We are successful because that's, in my opinion, how marketing people think. I think two. And the third thing is I really think Disney struggles from time to time with like how to build suspense around properties that are simple. This is not like a really complex story. But you don't want to give a way the bag up front.
Speaker 2: Of like what BINSS movie? It's like, how do you describe it without telling people, you know what the story?
Speaker 4: That's good.
Speaker 1: That's actually Joel, that's actually a really good point. They're not They're not a great other than like brute force and a burnishing of IP that people already love. They're not like a great in the way that like Warner Brothers is at like creating marketing campaigns. And and I have a Matthew some trailers in a way that like really pop and make people like.
Speaker 4: Bring back the nineties voiceover guy who would introduce your trailer to an audience, Disney, bring it back that exactly, and then and then just show me shots of Mandol suiting up grogu.
Speaker 3: That you got such a yea.
Speaker 2: To exist.
Speaker 4: I mean, I don't think you guys.
Speaker 1: Are for the fact that Trapper was.
Speaker 3: He's good. He's a continuing Caar.
Speaker 4: Definite Star Wars connuity. He's gonna be around.
Speaker 2: He's gonna be animated before he's gonna be there.
Speaker 4: Dave, if you want to do the Stanley thing, you gotta listen to Aaron and you gotta just do the little. He's gotta make it bigot big.
Speaker 2: It's gotta be referent.
Speaker 4: You can't be the same character every time. It's gotta be almost nonsense. Stanley's got every sketch, but there is not a through line. He is not a watcher, even though that was a theory for a while. He was just some dude in every movie and it was perfect.
Speaker 2: Just be and I guess what, I'm gonna reveal something for you. Really, it's because he had a contract that paid him like a million dollars a year to be what they called a Chaman emeritus, which was like a representative of Marvel in the wider world. So also it was also like contractual.
Speaker 4: Like so Stan's days is just like a radio host. She was just like man I love Marvel, do more of that, even like get out of the center of the movie, though, that is not gonna look well.
Speaker 2: For all the critiques of Stanley that we've talked about many times on this podcast, we always say he was a fantastic advocate for comics and an incredible editor. Dave Feloney be an advocate for Star Wars. Be out there wearing your little hat at D twenty three talking about Gray Jedi or whatever. But like, don't be don't be in, don't know, That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Enough, Well, the Mandalorian and grogu out. Now you have kids who love Star Wars, go take a take them to it.
Speaker 4: I love it. It's it's a fun movie.
Speaker 1: If you have kids who love Star Wars taking rid of this movie, it's gonna.
Speaker 2: Be the parents are going. Let us know in the chat if you enjoyed it.
Speaker 1: On the next episodes of X ray Vision, we're diving into our review of the first season of Amazon Spider waw W. That's a for this episode. Thanks for listening. X ray Vision is hosted by Jason Concepcion.
Speaker 3: And Rosie Knight and is a production of iHeart Podcast.
Speaker 2: Our executive producers are Joel Monique and Aaron core.
Speaker 1: Our supervising producer is Abu Zafar.
Speaker 2: Our producers are Common, Laurent Dean Jonathan and Fay Wag.
Speaker 1: A theme song is by Brian Vasquez, with alternate theme songs by Aaron Kaufman.
Speaker 2: Special thanks to Soul Rubin, Chris Lord, Kenny Goodman and Heidi Our discord moderator