Speaker 1: Morning Run with Amy and TJ and iHeartRadio podcast. Good morning everyone, It's Monday, May fifth. Welcome to your Morning Run. I'm Amy Robots and I'm TJ.
Speaker 2: Holmes and on this Monday Morning Run, the details will just take your breath away. Police say they stopped a hate field plot to attack Lady Gaga's massive weekend concert in Rio.
Speaker 1: And another disturbing incident Reagan National Airport involving a Blackhawk helicopter. Plus Star Wars fans and Catholics unite against President Trump for depicting himself as a Jedi and as the Pope.
Speaker 2: Also on the run this morning, just a heads up, get your new IDs or you won't be getting on your next plane. You need to hear this. Also, no one is entirely sure what he's talking about. Just one reaction to Trump's latest trade war announcement, a one hundred percent tariff on movies okay.
Speaker 1: And also on the run this morning, the trial of Sean Diddycom's It's underway this morning in Manhattan. Plus Elon Musk gets his own city in Texas, and the President wants to reopen the most famous prison in the country though it's been closed for sixty years and you have to swim to it.
Speaker 2: And happy Cinco de Mayo. But whatever you do, folks, when you are toasting, possibly with that margarita tonight, don't toast to Mexican Independence Day. We'll explain. It's a common misconception and a common mistake. But some people will really get onto you if you make the mistake. But we'll get into this and explain. Single demayo.
Speaker 1: All right, looking forward to that, but we have to begin our run in Rio, where a major tragedy was averted over the weekend at a Lady Gaga concert. Three people have been arrested in Brazil for planning an attack at Gaga's free concert on Copacabana Beach in Rio de jan Era.
Speaker 2: Police there say two people, one a man, and they identify the other as a teenager. They were planning to use improvised explosives Molotov cocktails, they say, during the concert, and we're going to target members of the La LGBTQ plus community. Authorities also arrested a third person, who they say had been planning a satanic ritual by killing a child or baby during the concert. That suspect is facing terrorism charges.
Speaker 1: The group reportedly posed as fans of Lady Gaga online, but were actually trying to incite acts of violence from other fans at the concert. Thankfully, the concert went on without incident, and incredibly, more than two million people attended.
Speaker 2: It was quite a sight to see. So when you hear these details about what someone was planning to do with this crowd where there is it's not just a matter of limited security. You got that many people, you just can't secure it all as much as you'd like to. Spokespords of her Gaga said that neither Gaga or her team knew anything about the threat or a police operation until the day after the concert, and that concert was a history maker, the largest show of Goga's career, and she posted afterwards it was the biggest crowd for any woman in history.
Speaker 1: And thankfully it went out, went off without incident, all right. Next up on our run, The White House had some fun on social media this weekend with a couple of AI generated photos of President Trump. One image was kind of funny, the other one was kind of sacrilegious. So we'll start without it.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, plenty of folks, prominent Catholics included, weren't amused and didn't appreciate the image of the President dressed as the Pope. You could see him. He's in a cassock with a cross around his neck, and he's wearing that papal headdress. But President Trump posted the image after recently joking that he liked to be pope. You remember, he got asked by a reporter who he thought should be the choice for the next pope. His response was, I'd like to be pope. That would be my number one choice. Haha, we say, but here we are.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so ah haha. Indeed, there was immediate blowback, as you can imagine, but this statement from the New York State Catholic Conference sums it up pretty well. There is nothing clever or funny about this image. Mister President. We just buried our beloved Pope Francis, and the cardinals are about to enter a solemn conclave to elect a new successor of Saint Peter. Do not mock us.
Speaker 2: Is that fair? Yes, I mean it's hard to argue with I think all he was just joking, y'all. Take it easy.
Speaker 1: That's hard to Timing is everything. It probably never would be a good time to put that image out, But especially not now as we head into this very solemn week.
Speaker 2: I think, well, I can't wait to see what he does for Mlkday.
Speaker 1: Oh my goodness. Yeah, timing and tone thinks that he doesn't do so well. The other image he posted was lighter in nature, but still people took issue with a particular details.
Speaker 2: Okay, this one is funny. This image was in celebration of Star Wars Day, which is, of course, May the Fourth get it, May the Fourth be with you. It's a fun day. People have a good time with it. But this image shows an incredibly muscular President Trump is bulging, arms are out in this kind of tank top thing he had. There are eagles behind him as an American flag behind him, and along with the image, he wrote this happy May the Fourth to all, including the radical left lunatics who are fighting so hard to bring sith lords, murderers, drug lords, dangerous and well known MS thirteen gang members back into our galaxy. You're not the rebellion, You're the empire quote.
Speaker 1: Okay, So in the image, Trump is holding a lightsaber. Here's the problem. The lightsaber is red, and as everybody knows, or at least should know, red lightsabers are used by the dark side. Think Darth Vader. You wouldn't use it to fight evil because red means you are the evil. I remember the lightsabers that my brother and I played with were green greed. That's the good guys, right.
Speaker 2: As simple as that. So it's it's funny that no one noticed or they do it on purpose, but people immediately pointed that out, and you know where the jokes went from there. We will continue here on this morning Day Morning Ryn with President Trump again says he has identified and now taking steps to stop the latest threat to US national security movies, in particular movies not made in the United States. Yes, and his latest tarif announcement, President Trump says he will put a one hundred percent tariff on all movies not produced in the United States.
Speaker 1: We can hear you all now saying this to yourself, because we all just said it to ourselves. Huh. We're going to quote the president. Now, here's exactly what he said. He said yesterday. The movie industry in America is dying a very fast death. Other countries are offering all sorts of incentives to draw our filmmakers and studios away from the United States. Hollywood and many other areas within the USA are being devastated. This is a concerted effort by other nations and therefore a national security threat. It is in addition to everything else, messaging and propaganda. Therefore, I am authorizing the Department of Commerce and the United States Trade Representative to immediately begin the process of instituting a one hundred percent tariff on any and all movies coming into our country that are produced in foreign lands. We want movies made in America again.
Speaker 2: Now, you we were quick to kind of dismiss on what is he talking about, but in this statement says he has authorized movement is being made on this particular issue. So we are now going to quote the New York Times, which wrote about this movie tariff by saying this, as is often the case with mister Trump's declarations on social media, it was not entirely clear what he was talking about. You can't do it any better than that. And I want to give this reporter credit. Don't know who he is, Brooks Barnes, but that line kind of sums it all up. You can't put it any better than that, because what is he talking about? What are you gonna do? Which movies are gonna tax the streaming ones are the ones at the theater that they have to be foreign language films. What if it was worked on partly overseas and part in the US. What if some of the money is coming from overseas but the movie was actually shot in the U. We just don't know how this could possibly work.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean a lot of movies are on location because the story insists that it is so that it just doesn't make any sense.
Speaker 2: And Hollywood has been heard. Look, we know what New Orleans, Atlanta, Vancouver, other places offer incentives that have been drawing people out of Hollywood, even places in the US. But it's been happening overseas as well.
Speaker 1: You didn't get a better deal maybe inside with tax breaks instead of punishing it for actually maybe having important storytelling that has to be done overseas. All right, we'll see what happens with that. But next up on our run, let's continue with President Trump. He now says he wants the most violent criminals in the US to be housed at the most famous prison in the US. The problem is it's been closed for sixty years. Yeah, we're talking about Alcatraz.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that one. Alcatraz overnight, the President called for it to be reopened, rebuilt. Seriously, he said this last night on social media. And before you immediately dismiss this as just a middle of the night social media amusing by President Trump, he actually says once again he has taken steps already robes to make this happen.
Speaker 1: Yes, quoting him right here today, I am directing the Bureau of Prisons, together with the Department of Justice, FBI, and Homeland Security, to reopen a substantially enlarged and rebuilt Alcatraz to house America's most ruthless and violent offenders. We will no longer be held hostage to criminals, hugs and judges that are afraid to do their job, and allow us to remove criminals who came into our country illegally. The reopening of Alcatraz will serve as a symbol of law, order and justice. The big question is is he for real?
Speaker 2: Well, this would be a challenge because Alcatraz has been closed since nineteen sixty three. You're gonna need much more than a fresh coat of paint and some new screen doors to get this thing up and running again. The price tag would be astronomical. Obviously, this would take years and years and years, and Alcatraz is currently a museum. A lot of people know this. It's a must see part of any vacation to the Bay Area. You can just stand there and look at it. But still you can take a boat over, go through, take the door. But it is a museum. It almost seems impossible that this place could be opening it.
Speaker 1: We shall see all right, next up on the run. This is the public service announcements of sorts and one I need to heed you. We only have two days left to get your real ID. That is the new form of identification. It has a star on the top if you need to know and see whether or not you have one. Yes, there should be a star. If your ID does not have a star like mine, You're going to have to bring your passport to the airport to fly domestically starting Wednesday, So every traveler over the age of eighteen must now have a real ID to travel through all US airport security checkpoints.
Speaker 2: So if you don't have a passport or an enhanced driver's license that some states issue, what do you do? Well? You can first expect significant delays, You can expect additional screening. You could expect not being allowed through security. According to the TSA website, you will not be allowed to enter the security checkpoint if you choose to not provide acceptable identification, you decline to cooperate with the identity verification process, or your identity cannot be confirmed.
Speaker 1: So TSA is recommending if you don't have a real ID or you don't have a passport, you should give yourself an extra hour to go through security and bring your birth certificate or your Social Security card if you can find either one. I don't know that I can right now. So, yeah, what is this going to do to the already long, frustrating security lines at the airport? Probably it's going to be a huge pain. So if you don't have one, so try to go make an appointment at your local DMV and get that real Id'd that.
Speaker 2: Go for you yesterday?
Speaker 1: Terribly?
Speaker 2: Yes, Robes checked, I have my real ID. By the way, Robes had to check. I was trying to get an appointment. This is true. You were trying to get an appointment and they were booked here in New York through.
Speaker 1: The end of August summer the end of August.
Speaker 2: Could not get one, folks, So you might be in a little trouble here. If you figured out people are on the website, they're trying to see if there are any cancelations. Possibly as well. Homeland Security website has a real ID map. You can click on your state to get information on what to do to get a real ID.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I think government officials are saying, y'all knew about this. You have plenty of time. This has been in the works since two thousand and five. I mean, I mean, okay, the Congress passed it back in two thousand and five following a nine to eleven commission recommendation, but they've delayed in forcing it several times over the last twenty years. So maybe some of us were hoping they were going to kick the can further. Not so much. Time is up, he is.
Speaker 2: Finally, we will continue here on this Monday morning run with a story that's hard to believe that this is happening. Another Blackhawk helicopter issue at Reagan National Airport. Yes, this one caused a major disruption. Two different airplanes had to abort their landings because of an Army helicopter. We're learning this happened last week.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the US Transportation Secretary said it's unacceptable that a Delta Airlines flight and a Republic Airways fight had to perform go around maneuvers and reposition for another approach to land, all because of this helicopter. The FAA said, the army helicopter took I'm quoting here a scenic route around the Pentagon versus proceeding directly from the west to the airport as they were supposed to do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, FAA and National Transportation Safety Board are investigating. This incident took place around two thirty Thursday afternoon. Restrictions had been put in place since that January twenty ninth deadly mid air collision between a Black Hall helicopter and the American Airlines plane that killed all sixty seven people on board both those aircraft.
Speaker 1: But after this latest incident, the Transportation Secretary has now restricted all non essential helicopter operations around Reagan National, writing this on X safety must always come first. We just lost sixty seven souls. No more helicopter rides for VIPs or unnecessary training in a congested DCA airspace full of civilians.
Speaker 2: All right, We'll stay with us air folks on this Monday morning run. When we come back elon Musk is getting his own city in Texas. We'll explain. Also, a ninety four year old decides to retire ninety four, so why are y'all surprised that he's retiring. Also, it is Cinco de Mayo. It is not Mexican Independent Day will tell you the proper way to toasts. All right, let's continue this Monday morning run now, and our next leg takes us to Texas, where Elon Musk has now gotten his own city kind of sort of. The area in Texas where Musk operates his company SpaceX has now officially become a city, and its new name is Muskville. I'm kidding. They did not name it Muskville. It is actually called Star Base. Good ring too it yeah, starbar Galactic Star based Texas. That ain't bad. Actually, they had to vote on this in the city and it it passed pretty overwhelmingly. The residents of the area had to vote on it. The residents, he had two hundred and eighty three of them. And who do you think they were? They were all SpaceX employees of course, who are in the area, So this is not much of choker.
Speaker 1: It resoundedly passed. Yes, Musk wrote on X After the vote, Star Based Texas is now a real city exclamation point. He's been working on this since twenty twenty one. The city is only one point six square miles, but it's going to have a mayor and two commissioners. And this is another shaker. A SpaceX vice president Bobby Peden be the first mayor of Star Based Texas.
Speaker 2: You know what, you can always say you were the first ione. You know, ten twenty years from now this becomes some booming metropolis of sorts, if you will.
Speaker 1: We will look back on this and go, well, have you been there?
Speaker 2: I have to Starbase.
Speaker 1: Ain't no way it's going to be a booming metropolis. This is in the middle of nowhere.
Speaker 2: So was Las Vegas.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, we shall see.
Speaker 2: All right, we continue on the run here now with Warren Buffett boll He sure can't keep a secret. The Oracle of Omaha shocked just about everybody this weekend announcing that he would retire as CEO of Berkshire Hathaway at the end of this year.
Speaker 1: It was such a shocking announcement that even his hand picked successor, who was sitting right next to him at the time of the announcement almost fell out of his chair, like he literally had no idea. This was at a conference over the weekend in front of a live audience of thousands of investors.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was on stage. Buffett was during a Q and A period along with the vice chairman we mentioned, and he unexpectedly told the crowd he will be stepping down at the end of the year. He's ninety four years but he has always said he had no plans to retire. Really, folks thought he would die in his role.
Speaker 1: Now, he said only his two kids knew about his decision to retire ahead of time. And yes. Known as the Oracle of Omaha, Buffett is a legend, widely considered perhaps the greatest investor in the world. He's been at the Helm of Berkshire Berkshire Hathaway. He turned it into a company worth one point six trillion dollars.
Speaker 2: Now he has a personal wealth of about one hundred and fifty billion dollars. It seemed like every year I've been alive, he's been on the Richest Person in the World list. But he has pledged to give all this money away. In a cool part during that announcement, he said he's going to retire. Of course, the crowd was shot. But then they gave him a wonderful ovation, and he said this, your enthusiasm could be interpreted two ways. That's funny. That is really funny. I give him credit there, but he is obviously legendary, you know.
Speaker 1: I say, you always have to be really smart to be really funny, and he's both. It looks like all right. Next up on the run, the trial of Sean Diddy Combs is finally here. Jury selection actually begins today in Lower Manhattan. We're bracing ourselves because we can pretty much see the courthouse outside of our apartment. He's facing five federal counts of sex, trafficking and racketeering, all related to those so called freak offs in which he allegedly drugged, coerced, and abused partygoers.
Speaker 2: At Combs has pleaded not guilty to all charges has maintained his innocence throughout. He did confirm last Thursday at a pre trial hearing, the final pre trial hearing, that prosecutors had offered him a plea deal they could have reduced his jail time. He turned it down. He is, yes, facing the possibility of life in prison.
Speaker 1: All right for the final leg of our run. Do not get scolded today by mistakingly saying today we're celebrating Mexican Independence Day. Somebody is just waiting to jump in and correct you on that one.
Speaker 2: I've seen this go down before, yes I have. Well, so, yes, this is a common misconception. It's okay if you make the mistake. A lot of people do. But still single Demayo is a celebration of Mexican Independence Day. That is a false statement. Mexican Independence is actually on September sixteenth. Think of that, that's their fourth of July. So September sixteenth, eighteen ten is when Mexico declared liberation from Spain.
Speaker 1: All right, it was fifty years later then that Cinco de Mayo was born. On May fifth, eighteen sixty two, Mexican forces defeated Napoleon's French troops at the Battle of Puebla. The French at the time saw an opportunity in Mexico to expand its influence and they invaded.
Speaker 2: So, yeah, this was a year's long conflict against the French. But on May fifth, eighteen sixty two, a raggtab bunch of ill equipped and outnumbered Mexican fighters defeated the French at this Battle of Puebla. That battle didn't end the conflict. In fact, it went on for several more years, but the French finally left the country some five years later. But the Battle of Puebla became the symbol of Mexican resistance, hence May fifth single Demyel, which was a very big day of Mexican pride.
Speaker 1: And a very big day of people going out to celebrate something they don't understand. But it's a reason to get a margarita. You know what I just learned through in this interesting I didn't know all of this information. You should never order a glass of rose from Provence. Apparently that would be like almost religious. Now that we know the origins of sincred a mile, you gotta stick to the margarita.
Speaker 2: Wow. Yeah, I didn't even want to know.
Speaker 1: That's my two favorite drinks. So today it'll be a margarita.
Speaker 2: All right, folks, all right, before we let you go on this Monday to start your week, something we'd like for you to consider it is our quote of the day.
Speaker 1: You can't walk with God and run with the devil.
Speaker 2: Take it at that. There are so many folks who can relate to that. Who are what during the day, don't you have plenty of folks who are are so self righteous, and so many people who are telling you how you're morally wrong, and so many people who cling to this thing of religion and God and think they're on the right side, but then they're in the streets they're running around doing this and that. And this came from my pastor. But it's a very simple way to see it and put it. And we all know people like this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you can't have it both ways. Acrits.
Speaker 2: Essentially is what this That's what I meant to break down. That's all I was saying.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so this is from the files of t j R. A Ka, this is from your pastor.
Speaker 2: Yes, you can't walk with the God and run with the devil. Love that all right, folks, And with that, we always appreciate you running with us. I hope you getting off to a good start on this Monday morning. We certainly will be running with you again tomorrow.
Speaker 1: I'm teaching and I'm Amy Robock. Have a great Monday, everyone,