Speaker 1: Broadcasting live from the Abraham Lincoln Radio Studio the George Washington Broadcast Center, Jack Armstrong and Joe Ketty arm Strong and Jatkati and no he Armstrong and Yetty.
Speaker 2: A dog in Ireland, apparently annoyed by the weight, jumped in the driver's seat and just kept laying on the horn with some moral support, it seems, from another furry friend in the back. No word tonight on whether the owners came running.
Speaker 3: So the dog just kept hitting orn. Hey, come on, I got things to do.
Speaker 4: It was Irish dogs and legendarily impatient Jack is drivers, Yes.
Speaker 5: That was a cute little white dog putting his entire his entire body into it.
Speaker 4: And the soft headed newsguy Tony Dakoppel, who I like, claimed it's because the dog was impatient with traffic.
Speaker 1: Oh, Tony, he wanted to get to the bar.
Speaker 4: Lawless Irish dogs, which brings us to an absolutely great, insightful piece that I'm not sure has made me happy or said by Chris Arnade about America's public disorder. He says, America's public disorder is a choice. America's hands off approach to mental illness and addiction is failing everyone and as he points out in the piece, he's a writer who's traveled and lived all over the world, including fairly recently. And he starts this article. He's on the one of the subway lines to O'Hare Airport in Chicagoland. A couple of guys smoking joints, sitting in a nest of filthy bags. There was a woman whose eyes were dilated in blank. There is also a man barking into the void, shirtless, washing himself with a flower tortilla. Ah the old tortilla path which would disintegrate littering the subway floor before he took out another.
Speaker 1: And began the same process. Huh, good for the skin.
Speaker 3: I wonder how fresh you smell after you have bathed with a tortilla.
Speaker 4: Tortilla smell good anyway, Chris writes, it didn't shock me or anyone else around me. He talks about the Chicago Metro Lion is just infested with that sort of thing. Double the assault rate over any other major system in the country.
Speaker 1: Brandon Johnson's Chicago no coincidence.
Speaker 3: Of course, you got to keep an eye on that kind of person out of the corner of your eye, just to make sure they don't, for instance, slit your throat from behind, like we all saw on a video not long.
Speaker 4: Ago, right exactly, because those people have been turned loose over and over again by progressive DA's. But that's a kind of a different topic. Well, I guess it's not anyway. But he points out that he's witnessed similar scenes, maybe not as bad or frequent as Chicago, in Duluth, Indianapolis, El Paso, New York, Jacksonville, LA, Phoenix downtown Starbucks, no bathrooms, all closed, blah blah blah, that's my heat.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah.
Speaker 4: He contrasts it with Seoul, South Korea, where he currently is, where the train from the airport is spotless. So's the ten mile River Park where I walk each day, which, given that large parts of it are shadowy spaces beneath roadways, is especially impressive. In the US, it would be made of makeshift homes, of tents, cardboard and tarps, reeking of the smell of urine and feces. The free to use JIM equipment along its length probably couldn't exist for fear of it being vandalized, et cetera. And he writes, after spending ten years traveling around the US. I've spent five years traveling the world, flying to different cities, walking around them for days at a time, a city in China, Alice Springs, Australia, Bangkok, Buenos Aires, Brussels. It's taught me a great deal about the US. Chief among these lessons is how much public disorder.
Speaker 1: We have come to accept.
Speaker 4: We are the world's richest country, yet our buses parking lots in city streets. I would add, parks are filthy, chaotic and threatening, anti social behavior common in almost every community, regardless of size. A society simply should not be this way. It doesn't have to be this way.
Speaker 3: Regardless of size, and regardless of how wealthy the neighborhood is.
Speaker 4: In some cases, right right, yeah, in Japan's there. Much of europe cities are walkable because they are dense, people live close together. But also public transportation tends to be fantastic. And this is not his main point, but I thought it was interesting and having just spent a week and a half in London and just loving it. In spite of Britain's growing insanity and Islamisation, it's still a wonderful city. But he points out that these cities are defined by something called mixed use zoning, where you might have an apartment on the third floor, an office on the second, and a bar on the first. And American tourists often admire the vibrancy of these cities, which can't happen here because there's a fine line between vibrant streets and squalid ones, and that line is public trust. And he talked people moving out of cities why we can't have nice things in our cities. He mentions a couple of examples that are nearly hilarious, like La Sembrita, the laughably expensive La bus stop that was supposed to provide shade and security lighting but ended up just being a single pole. It exists if you build a nice it exists. Because if you build a nice bus stop in the US, it immediately gets broken or turned into a shelter for the destitute. So the response, over time is to stop building them. I've seen this in almost every American city I've visited. Then he goes into the all the restrooms, the decent public restrooms, which are available all over the world.
Speaker 3: It's been my complaint for a long time. First hit me when my kids got of the age where they Dad, I need to go to the bathroom. It was about the same time as the we really let this explode. There are big parts of California where there just are no public bathrooms.
Speaker 1: There just aren't any for miles and miles and miles. The businesses.
Speaker 3: Don't have them if they're required by law, they claim they're out of order. They put signs on them so they don't have to deal with the junkies going in there and washing themselves. And so there just aren't any public bathrooms.
Speaker 1: Why would you allow society to break down like that?
Speaker 4: It's insane, right right, And we'll get to his kind of philosophical answer to that question. It's a big one, But I love this aspect of the piece he wrote. Here's a tweet from a woman by the name of Danielle. My husband was on a crowded train yesterday when a homeless woman got on, pulled down her pants, and peed all over the train in front of everyone. He hasn't stopped talking about it for the past twenty four plus hours. It was the single most traumatizing thing this happened to him in New York City.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then.
Speaker 4: Here's the interesting part this post brought out a lot of absurd arguments. People defended the subway year and Eater by noting that stations have no public restrooms.
Speaker 1: This misses the point entirely.
Speaker 4: We don't have public bathrooms because the same people who piss on trains would trash them within days. He writes, someone peeing on the subway is not of sound mind. It's a sign of distress that should cause an intervention that results in them being institutionalized for a period of time until they regain sanity and stability. For someone actively psychotic, this means civil commitment to a psychiatric hospital for violent individuals refusing treatment, secure prison facilities with mandatory programs for a severe addiction of medical detox, and residential treatment without the ability to walk away. These people should not be allowed to do whatever they want because they cannot control themselves enough to have that freedom.
Speaker 3: Somebody should have said, hey, you're not supposed to pee on the train.
Speaker 4: Right, right, And then he gets into some of the other Bizarrow arguments that institutionalizing those people is cruel, as if it is empathetic to allow someone to suffer on the streets, tortured by their inner demons, covered in filth, high as a kite. This argument is so backward and immoral that I cannot believe that the activists and politicians to make it have spent any time around these people. They need help, and if they don't accept it, then they must be forced to get help.
Speaker 1: Then go ahead.
Speaker 3: Henry and I were eating at a restaurant yesterday and there was a guy and Henry said, there's a drug addict across the street. And there's a guy over on the corner who had been there for quite some time, spinning around, itching himself, you know, you know, the look, yelling at the top of his lungs. And I thought, why can't we get enough momentum between the We need to help these people. It's a tragedy for them. I'm not that person. I wish I was, but I'm not.
Speaker 1: I'm the law in order. I paid for this effing sidewalk.
Speaker 3: I should be able to walk down the sidewalk without having to worry about that guy. So I would think, between the law and order crowd like me and the it's a tragedy that blah blah blah blah that's happened to him, that we could come up with a get them off the street plan get him into a facility.
Speaker 4: Now, yeah, you're right, and I think it may happen at some point. And clearly this is going to stretch into the next segment because there's so much good stuff here. For instance, and Jack, this will remind you of some of the progressive view run into at city council meetings, or all of us that run into. Others responded the post, Oh my god, please don't do that. Others responded to the post about the subway urinator by claiming, well, that experience is simply the price of living in a big city, and Chris Arnaide writes, that's not true. The rest of the world doesn't tolerate the amount of antisocial behavior we do in the US. If someonere to piss on someone were to piss on the subway, almost anywhere else in the world, they would be removed from society for a period of time.
Speaker 1: Well, that's funny, I always say.
Speaker 3: Between that, you know, and everything being locked up at the drug store you have to get a key to get your toothbrush. We're only, you know, a few years away from nobody remembering that it didn't used to be that way, right, So they will just think, well, it's just the price you pay to you know, live in a society. Everything has to be locked up. It's just the way things are.
Speaker 4: A couple of more great points in his ultimate point coming up afterward from our friends at simply Safe Home Security and incredibly well timed message. Yeah, simply Safe is not just a camera that sends you an alert on your phone. Hey there's somebody breaking and you probably ought to do something about it. Simply Safe is a comprehensive ecosystem of sensors, cameras for inside and out, and twenty four to seven professional monitoring in the event of a fire, a break in, or a flood.
Speaker 1: Simply Safe's agents are ready to take action for you.
Speaker 3: And it's easy to customize the system for your home. You can do it online. They've got an app to guide you to set it all up, no drilling required. I set mine up myself with the sensors and the cameras and all that different sort of stuff. And there's no contract because simply Safe believes you're gonna like this system and keep using it.
Speaker 4: Twenty four to seven monitoring for a fract monitoring for a fraction of what the traditional brands charge really is as good as it sounds.
Speaker 1: Right now, you good.
Speaker 4: Folks, you can get fifty percent off your new simply safe system at simply safe dot com slash armstrong. That's simply safe dot com slash armstrong. Remember there's no safe like simply safe. So he's Chris Harnad is writing about how we tolerate much more antisocial behavior than virtually any other civilized civilization on Earth. We let people who aren't mentally competent continue to engage in self destructive and abundant behavior without removing them, which consequently ruins it for everyone else except those wealthy enough to build their own private islands of comfort. And then he writes, gratifyingly, I've been very careful up to now not to use the word homeless, because it's become an overly broad category that covers families and motels with Section eight vouchers, people sleeping on friends couches until they get back on their feet, mothers with children in long term shelters, and then those who live in tents, under bridges.
Speaker 1: Or sleep in soiled sleeping bags.
Speaker 4: The bums and junkies that we are always referring to on the show. Here the term homeless is used by those who would siphon taxpayer funds to hand out to their cronies because they know that term the publicity stunt is the bums and junkies. You think the money's going to help get rid of that blight, but they use the term that includes the poor families trying to get back on their feet. Right, That's how the scam works. That's why I always get agitated when people refer to the bums and junkies as the homeless, because it's a specific strategy they use to rip off tax payers.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't even like the term homeless. It's unhoused. Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 4: And then he points out the vast majority don't cause any problems with all at all. It's the stubbornly intransigent minority who have options but turn them down for a variety of reasons. Metal demons, drugs, something simply out of preference. All right, what's going on? And how do we fix it that? After a short.
Speaker 1: Build more jails. That's how you fix it. That's part of it. Uh.
Speaker 3: We'd be interested in your comment on this text line four KFTC.
Speaker 1: Good stuff on the way. Can you have a mirror of a burger on your restaurant? Is that a sign or art? I lost?
Speaker 3: These questions cost one town eight hundred thousand dollars fighting the restaurant that put a burger mural on their restaurant. I'm going to be in that town later today, and stay tuned. Pacific Legal Foundation is fighting the fight.
Speaker 1: We'll tell that story later, Beautiful.
Speaker 4: I do enjoy a good burger, So if you are just tuning in via the airwaves, I strongly suggest to you grab the Armstrong and Getty on demand podcast and listen to the previous segment in which you're digging deep into a piece by a fellow bind the name of Chris Arnade about how bums and junkies and filth and crime on the streets is practically uniquely American. Nobody else puts up with it, and we didn't used to, And just a couple of quick notes before we get to his real conclusion, and he talks about, well, gosh, let's just jump to it. Beneath all the discussion is the additional question of why we in the US have so many mentally unstable people, Why are so many addicted to drugs, Why so many people have grown comfortable with shocking behavior. He says, I walked twelve miles through Soul yesterday and I saw zero destitute people, certainly no homeless. I did see the same group of drunk men I always see playing cards near the river because Koreans drink an immense amount. But as far as daytime drunks go, their behavior was exemplary. When they had to urinate, they walked the two hundred yards to the public bathroom, which they left as clean as when they came. When they wanted to throw away their empty bottles, they collected them and walked them to the trash can, even putting the appropriate ones into the recycling bin. Almost no Korean, even the drunks, would ever think of peeing on the metro, even if they thought they could get away with it. And yes, they're legal consequences. But then he gets to the key. But culture does most of the work. Shoreans are raised to be good citizens and not break rules with public shame as enforcement, so laws nearly rarely need enforcement. And then he gets into fairly briefly, the US has a different model that emphasizes individuality over the communal, with our culture focused not on being a good, good citizen first, but on finding our true self and exploring that and hopefully making a lot of money along the way. Koreans are citizens, we are entrepreneurs. It's one of our greatest strengths. But I would summarize the rest of his argument, but it's gone way too far.
Speaker 3: We've always been that way, though, and we weren't cheering on the.
Speaker 1: Buses exactly exactly right.
Speaker 4: And you know, we've actually been talking about this for a couple of decades now.
Speaker 1: And and I think gen xers, which we barely are, not a boomer, not a boomer x er. I'm the lastic Oh.
Speaker 4: My god, okay, like a boomer, that's right, Okay, So but anyway, I think we are uniquely positioned in a way because we grew up in a distinctly post World War two. Your duty to the country, your family, and your community trumped any individual desire you might have. That was born of the necessity of the conflicts of the twentieth century and the and the Cold War and the rest of it.
Speaker 1: You can do your own thing within limits.
Speaker 4: You will not betray the trust of your family or your town, et cetera. And then we saw that morph into a much more affluent, not threatened. Reality of everything's great, so you can do whatever you want. Duty sounds you know, suffocating, And it has something to do with why so few people are having children and families now.
Speaker 1: But which is the chicken? Which is the egg? I couldn't tell you.
Speaker 4: Uh, let me, let me finish it, Jet and then Jack, if you have anything you want to throw in. Obviously have had it that some people need strict social guidelines. We have a far larger number of people prone to antisocial tendencies and mental illness. Some people need strict social guidelines. We don't have them. If our elevated levels of addiction and mental illness are consequences of our culture of individuality, as I believe they are, the we have a moral responsibility to take sufferers off the street and care for them. The just thing to do for all of our society is to enforce norms in public spaces. We can have nice things, we just have to decide we deserve them. We must enforce norms in public spaces. It's good for everyone.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's nice that you look at it. That guard looks at it from the compassion side of it. Again, I look at it from law and order side of it. You can end up in the same spot.
Speaker 1: Though.
Speaker 3: That guy over there who's nuts out of his mind, he needs to be institutionalized. I want to do it because it makes my life better. Right that other guys right, because he's kind and compassionate. Fine, whatever, as long as the guy gets off the street and in some sort of institution.
Speaker 4: The one perverse view that's not supportable is the one that wins the day in blue states, and that it is compassionate to let somebody mentally ill die on the streets or kill themselves with drugs on the streets, or back.
Speaker 3: To my side of it, it's okay to let taxpayers who are following the rules have to live with this s Yeah, those arguments are lunacy and they should never have won.
Speaker 1: The day we got our roll impack. I'm not hopeful, get hopeful, armstrong and getty.
Speaker 6: And there's a lot of bad faith negotiation and a lot of bad faith, you know, propaganda going on. I think this comes from a legitimate misunderstanding. I think the Iranians thought that the ceasefire included Lebanon, and it just didn't. We never made that promise, we never indicated that was going to be the case. What we said is that the ceasefire would be focused on Iran and the ceasefire would be focused on America's allies, both Israel and the golf Air of States.
Speaker 3: So JD says it was just an honest misunderstanding. They thought the ceasefire included Israel not firing.
Speaker 1: On uh Hesbalah. I don't know what to believe.
Speaker 3: And part of the mess might be, as we kept talking about yesterday, there are different groups speaking out of Iran, and there were some groups. There might be one group that made that agreement said yeah, that's fine, and then another group that said, no, that ain't fine, And we're the ones that are going to put out of press release and add this to that, looking at the flip side of what JD was saying, what we have to say to Iran is that, oh, no, your proxies that have been sowing terror and death and Sharia law all over the region and killing all of our soldiers and the rest of it.
Speaker 4: No, no, no, no, We're going to squash the hell out of them. It's got nothing to do with this ceasefire. The IRGC and the Mullahs or whoever's in charge are almost certainly going to say.
Speaker 1: Oh, I can't agree to that.
Speaker 4: I'm not going to agree to that because I don't think you have the balls to wipe us out.
Speaker 1: Pardon me.
Speaker 3: We're into day two of the ceasefire. Using my finger quotes, here's Ian panel of ABC News on where things are day two.
Speaker 7: The sea fire is already looking shaky, the Ranian regime claiming that the temporary agreement to whole hostilities has already been violated, in particular by escalating Israeli attacks against Iranian bat Militia Hesbala in Lebanon. By President Vance insisting Lebanon was never parts of the ceasefire agreement, but Iran and Mediate's Pakistan have both said a seafire in Lebanon is part of the agreement.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Pakistan, who's the supposed mediator, honest broker between the two sides, said that was part of the agreement. That was part of the agreement.
Speaker 1: We saw it.
Speaker 3: Part of the agreement was Israel stops fire and at Hesbal. I don't know if they're honest or not. As Mark Alprin pointed out in his newsletter this morning, these are the people that had been laden from US the Pakistans.
Speaker 4: So I just wish I sounded more like Ian Panell I mean, how compelling would it be.
Speaker 1: Domino said the peace would be here in half an hour. It's been forty two minutes. Just everything with that intensity. They lied in their advertisement the dog must be walked.
Speaker 3: So the thing was the Strait of hor Moves was supposed to open, and not a single ship, not a single oil tanker went through in twenty four hours, and only four ships. And it was the fewest number of ships going through since the war started. So it didn't become more open, it became more.
Speaker 4: Closed after the ceasefire, and the IRGC is thinking, you know, our navy's wiped out in our air force and all, but we've got a brand new, super profitable business and we're still in charge of raping our country.
Speaker 1: So okay, cool.
Speaker 3: The New York Times released an excerpt from a new book that's coming out yesterday, written by Jonathan Swan, who we've generally liked over the years and Maggie Haberman, who have generally hated over the.
Speaker 1: Years of The New York Times. Utterly, yes, mag but.
Speaker 3: The excerpt somebody leaked. I mean this was when and Trump is a source for this book. He's on the record in the book throughout the book, and he might be a source for some of the secret stuff. Is a lot of the speculation because he's a wily guy. But the story that leaked out is that Babingt and Yahoo came I think early February to the White House and gave a big presentation on here are your options with Iran and what you should do. The director of the CIA said, that's farcical, I think was a term he used, that we could do that or would do that. Marco Rubio is quoted in the pieces saying, so it's bulls the plan that they had to, you know, take over the straight bomb, grab the uranium, all these different things that we've been talking about doing since this whole thing started, but then it happened.
Speaker 1: So this piece.
Speaker 3: Sort of, I guess, is trying to push readers the direction of we Dan to Israel's tune.
Speaker 4: More. Israel persuaded Trump that the time was right and the opportunity was there.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's possibly charitable, possible. He just decided, you know, that's a good idea.
Speaker 4: Well, he's been making noise about iron can't have a nuke like way before he was in polog his seventies.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that's and despising that regimes is appropriate.
Speaker 3: That's a misrepresentation by certain crowds out there too, that Trump has misled his base. He ran as the anti war president, and look what he's doing.
Speaker 1: He ran on no.
Speaker 3: Forever wars that don't accomplish anything, but he was all about bombing iss back to the Stone Age, and in Iraq, we should have taken the oil and all kinds of very aggressive things that he talked about over the years.
Speaker 1: And did, which was a great thing. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, announced that's practically all there is is the Straight going to open or not.
Speaker 3: Without because currently this is co according to open source intelligence. Currently the way they're running it is this. Iran is demanding that oil tankers passing through the Straight make toll payments in the form of cryptocurrency, which would include Bitcoin or Trump's family's USD one.
Speaker 1: Crypto currency, Oh boy.
Speaker 3: Vessels have been told to email Iranian authorities prior to passage through the area with details regarding their cargo. Then Iran will calculate how much they're gonna charge you. Somewhere around a dollar a barrel, of oil, which could add up to a couple million dollars per boat that they let through, that they would pay in cryptocurrency using Trump's crypto, which would make the Trump family money. That's a bit of an uncomfortable situation.
Speaker 1: I will never utter another word about Hunter.
Speaker 3: Biden since Trump yesterday told ABC News that, yeah, we might partner with Iran on charging a toll.
Speaker 1: That might not be about what. Oh boy, Katie.
Speaker 5: That whole situation you just said sounds like one of those token phone scams that were all warning people about all the time. Just wire us some crypto and we'll get your loved one out of prison or whatever, right.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, send us two million dollars in cryptocurrency and we'll let the boat through.
Speaker 4: What both And if you haven't done the math, that would be billions and billions of dollars in revenue every year for the I ERGYC.
Speaker 3: Right, And then you you're by definition giving them the ability to close it back down in time they want for them to say, you know what, we've just decided. Remember the whole dollar a barrel, it's two dollars a barrow, and it's closed until y'all agree, right, right, Why wouldn't you discussed if we back down. It's been demonstrated that the world is not willing to.
Speaker 4: Open it back up, force it open, and the precedent that would that would be horrific. China, you know, Russia, malign powers all over the world, would start restricting shipping and extorting shipping companies and boats in a way that hasn't happened since World War Two thanks to the US policing the oceans, which has been an incredible aid to the rising standards of living of humans all over the globe and the declines in infant mortality and mortality in general. And blah blah blah. Read Enlightenment now by Stephen Pinker if you get a chance.
Speaker 3: Part of this, part of this might just be that Trump thinks this is where we're headed, so let's get there.
Speaker 1: The world is going to split.
Speaker 3: Into two spheres of influence, the China sphere and the US sphere. It's where we're going anyway. It's just a matter of time. They're gonna take Taiwan. We're not going to stop them. Then they're gonna charge tolls or not allow boats or whatever over there.
Speaker 4: We might as well start here. That might just be his calculation. It's not out of the Yeah, huh, I don't think.
Speaker 1: We'd like it's going to be different. Get used to it. I don't want to. I don't want to either.
Speaker 4: Would you like to hear about the big NATO practicing for drone war exercises?
Speaker 1: It's pretty heavy. Well, yeah, it's war jack war.
Speaker 3: I've got our free speech around burger murals. Oh story that our friends at the Pacific Legal Foundation have taken up standing up for the burger. You might end up going to the Supreme Court, which would be very exciting.
Speaker 4: Hamburger is called a hamburger, which is a reference to hamburg Germany, because I think the mighty Hamburger could be ready to take over as the symbol of Americana for the apple pie.
Speaker 1: Ah.
Speaker 3: I had a hamburger last night, pretty good, one jealous, put ketch upon it, some tomatoes, cheese?
Speaker 1: Did you the whole thing? Oh? Cheese? You say?
Speaker 3: I was watching the show Katie's Gonna Hate This. I was watching a show what was it? Who's the cook that yells at everybody on the TV shows? Boby No, Gordon Ramsey and my son who loves cooking videos, was watching Gordon Ramsey prepare a burger to grill, and got it looked like.
Speaker 1: A lot of work.
Speaker 3: Here's what I do for my burgers. Because somebody's telling me the other day what they do for their burgers to get him ready to grill, And I explained, allboy, I buy the pre made patties, I cut open the plastic and then I put the burger on the grill.
Speaker 1: When it's cooked, I take it off and eat it.
Speaker 3: That's what I do to my burgers.
Speaker 1: Got to season the meat. Got why I like the taste of hamburger.
Speaker 4: You don't get to say no, you're not allowed to have an opinion on that. That and golf. Sorry, it's just not allowed. I just I like the flavor of the burger.
Speaker 3: And it just seems like so much work to get all out of this stuff in here, rubbing oil on it and letting it sit.
Speaker 4: And putting this and that and beach your plane burger, cave man, go ahead.
Speaker 5: He probably gets a lot of seasoning from the spatue like.
Speaker 3: He leaves on the ground starting in diet.
Speaker 1: But that's true. I do have ground seasoning from.
Speaker 3: The specula that I just lay on, particularly.
Speaker 1: Because my girl of pollen, a little dust, my girls way down there by my feet.
Speaker 3: Interesting free speech case we got coming up, among other things, stay here.
Speaker 4: In order to control the exploding population, Washington, DC is putting rats on birth control.
Speaker 1: Perfect for anyone.
Speaker 4: Thinking I wish all these rats also.
Speaker 1: Had mood swings. Wow. Wow, did not see that bunchline coming. So we were just talking about Hamburgers.
Speaker 3: If you're a fan of Hamberger's, Like if you look at a book or list of top Hamburgers in America, quite possibly you'll come across the Cozy Inn in the middle of the country in Salina, Kansas. It's a burger joint that it's been there for a hundred years. It's known by many burger fans, and uh, I remember USA Today featuring it a couple of years back and everything like that. If you're ever traveling across the middle of nowhere, stop and get a Cozy Burger. I've had them. I'm headed to that town tonight. That's where my parents live, It's where Joe and I started our radio careers. But the interesting thing in this story is this really old burger joint decided to paint a mural on the front of their building of hamburgers that look kind of.
Speaker 1: Like flying saucers. It looks cool. I'm looking at the picture right now.
Speaker 3: It just looks cool. It looks old timey and cool. Anyway, it ran up against the cities no murals that are advertisements rule that they have and the city told them you can't put that up to me. Here's the interesting part of the story. And now the Pacific Legal Foundation is has picked up the case.
Speaker 1: We like them.
Speaker 3: At PLF standing up for what's good and right all the time, standing up for the burger guy. What's interesting to me because this happens lots around the country. The little town of Salina, Kansas, taxpayer money being used. The city has spent eight hundred thousand dollars of taxpayer money in this little town trying to force this guy to paint over the burgers he painted on his building. Oh boy, paid one hundred thousand dollars.
Speaker 1: Oh boy.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of things you could do in a small town with that much money, including give it back to the people that belonged to since it's taxpayer money. But cities do this all the time, where they wage these battles over things with your money. Happens a lot, or they screw up sometimes and then they have to pay out a settlement and it's your money also. It's gonna be interesting to see how it goes down. A federal district court has already sided with the Burger Joint in the city's mural versus signed distinction, calling it arbitrary and discriminatory. Solana, Kansas has appealed it to the Tenth Circuit anyway, and some legal experts think this will go to the Supreme Court. I can't imagine why it would have to.
Speaker 4: But why I see there are like seven national organizations led by, of course, the Great Pacific Legal Foundation, joining the amicus brief on the Cozyan's side.
Speaker 3: Wow, it's interesting. Most of the people I know in that town are on the side of the city for some reason.
Speaker 1: The argument is not insane.
Speaker 4: We don't want ugly signage everywhere on every building in the city.
Speaker 1: And if we restrict.
Speaker 4: It, if we let cozy In do it, we gotta let everybody.
Speaker 3: Do it right, right, that's the argument. Sure, I wish. That's why. You know, getting a lawyers involved and getting in the letter of the law is always so difficult, because if you could just go with a does it look good or not?
Speaker 1: This looks good.
Speaker 3: I can picture things that would look bad. I wouldn't want those sub put me in charge or someone in charge the does it look good or bad commission.
Speaker 1: It's got to be cheaper than eight hundred thousand dollars.
Speaker 4: So the Goldwater Institute is part of this, as well as the Alliance Defending Freedom. Yeah, and let me hit you with a quote from their brief. Even though there are numerous murals in downtown Salina, and even though Salina holds an annual festival to celebrate the paintings and add new murals all over town, Salina contends the Coseyans' sign is uniquely harmful.
Speaker 1: That makes no sense.
Speaker 3: That's why it became a big deal. It's kind of an interesting thing. This particular town decided to paint these giant murals on all kinds of different things. Grain elevators, if you know how big those are. There, like skyscrapers, these big, beautiful.
Speaker 1: Murals that have been painted on them.
Speaker 3: And there's there's that all over the place, on buildings, great elevators, everything like that that I've never seen anywhere else. They felt like this was getting in the way of that. Now we're gonna have all those our beautiful mural project ruined by every business planning and calling it a mural. But it's just an ad for their business on their walls. That's what cooked it all off.
Speaker 4: Good quote here from the Goldwater Institute in Manhattan. Institute brief quote. The city's arbitrary choice to allow murals, indeed celebrate and highlight them if they say some things but not others, based on nothing more than the fact that the latter includes some reference to trade, is unconstitutional. Salina may regulate visual expression only by applying neutral, time, place, and manner restrictions, not by picking and choosing between what it considers worthy and unworthy forms of expression.
Speaker 3: I'll take a picture of some of the murals when I'm there tomorrow and show you because it's a pretty cool thing. But so, here's an interesting thing about the cozyin burger place, Katie. Nobody goes in. It's only got like six stools. Anyway, nobody goes in. You have the burgers handed to you out a window because they're so smelly. You will smell like them all day long and annoy your co workers if you.
Speaker 1: Goes correct, Yes, I remember it.
Speaker 3: It makes you stink, so like onions, nobody goes in. They have them handed through the window, and then you like put them in your trunk and take them to work.
Speaker 4: And eat them. In fact, the mural that has a delicious cozy burger which is like a super high quality white castle burger from any For anybody who's ever had that sort of thing, it says, don't fear the smell the funds inside.
Speaker 1: Interesting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I guess don't make sense. It's the only food I've ever eaten where they suggest you have it handed to you through a window, otherwise you'll stink all day.
Speaker 5: Oh my, my buddy worked it in and out and he permanently smelled like it really.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, all the time I've known people in lines of work like that. You can't wash it off.
Speaker 3: No, I smelled like cow dung all the time, could working in the feed lots, and you couldn't wash it off. I mean there's no showering that it has.
Speaker 1: To wear off. Luckily, chicks really dig that. It was earthy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so the in and out smell is it onions?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's kind of an overall greasy burger. They have that distinct smell. I don't know what it is. They should sell it as a cologne. We got more on the way.
Speaker 3: If you missed a segment, get the podcast Armstrong and Getty on demand Armstrong and Getty