Speaker 1: This is Gavin Newsom.
Speaker 2: Do you introduce yourself for the first time on this new platform, tell them why you're on and kind of what you're doing on here.
Speaker 3: I'm on because you're on, and others are on, and people are having two way conversations, and you know, I think this notion of this one way conversations broadcasts, it doesn't work anymore.
Speaker 1: So it's a great opportunity to be.
Speaker 3: Able to meet people where they are and to have more substantive and long form conversations.
Speaker 1: So I'm really grateful. It's a great opportunity first time. Thank you. Yeah, super excited to have you.
Speaker 2: I think a lot of folks have seen you over the past couple of weeks, especially on Midas touch on Fred Wellman. You're doing new media more than really other leaders in a Democratic party. Do you feel like this is the future for Democrats? You know, other Democrats shoud follow your lead here.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I don't even think it's a future.
Speaker 3: I think it's where we are now, you know, And I think if we don't recognize that, we're not going to reconcile where where our standing is as it relates to the asymmetry of our communication challenges as a party.
Speaker 1: And look, you know, I don't know how you know.
Speaker 3: I think it was Tucker Carlson even today, who basically you know, was attacking Fox Or yesterday with Steve Bannon. And you know it's when when Tucker Carlson is saying it's in essence of propaganda network, I think that's just everything you need to know.
Speaker 1: But it's effective, just like Pravdo was effective.
Speaker 3: And it is a communication arm of the Trump administration and their surrounds sound and their ability to shape shift conversations to put us on the defense is next level. And so I think it's foundational. It's fundamental to quote unquote our path back that we start to get more aggressive in mediums like this, uh and build our own capacity, our own opacity not just to push back against that, but to truly expand that network of communication and engagement.
Speaker 2: Well, I got to ask you this morning. You kind of went into the lines done writing a Fox News op ed titled Trump is trying to destroy a democracy, Do not let him? What was that OpEd about for those who didn't read And why did you choose Fox News?
Speaker 3: Well, because you've got to meet people where they are, and it's you've got to hit people that are you know that we haven't quote unquote already persuaded. And I think one of the things that I think people have criticized me, and I totally, I deeply appreciate. I'm very I'm probably more self critical than anybody listening or watching. I'm not even making that up, like actually, And so I use the word humility and grace all the time. And I'm constantly trying to iterate and try new things. And it's in that process of discovery. And so for years I've been screaming and yelling saying we got to get out of our own bubble. And I was screaming and yelling about it, but I wasn't doing it. So it's one thing to preach, it's another to practice. So I started, you know, I said, called Sean Hannity. I said, hey, you've been attacking me every single damn night. Invited him to Ronald Reagan's old mansion, the Governor's mansion in California, and we sat down for an unscripted hour and twenty minutes. I said, the only rule is no editing. Let's have this conversation and and put it up. And he did to his credit and ended up not only being on Fox and a few of those kind of interviews, did a debate with Ron DeSantis, and you know, just started to reach sort of breach that bubble, like just surt pierce it a little bit and get in.
Speaker 1: So you know, I'm trying to there's there's there's a huge.
Speaker 3: Percent, a lot a lot of folks, a lot of Democrats, a lot of independence, a lot of persuadables watching Fox every night and in reading Fox. And so that's why I did that up ed there. And look, I think it's self evident. We all know what's happening to our democracy. We all know what's happening to the you know, the endairy values of our founding fathers. I said all the time, the best of the Roman Republican, Greek democracy, co equal, co equal branches of government, popular sovereignty, this notion of system of checks and balances. And you know, we've seen just the total corruption of Speaker Johnson, who's completely capitulated and rolled over. There's no checks of ballots is left in Congress. They're a lapdog of the Trump administration. That means there's one left, and that's the courts. And we're about to go into court quite literally in a few minutes the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals. Two out of three other judges on our panelic Trumpet judges on a lawsuit. But the point is we're counting on the courts, and we're counting on people that showed up in record numbers over the weekend, unprecedented protests, which is amazing to hold up this democracy.
Speaker 2: Well, I want to ask you both about the protest but also about this court hearing. Can can you tell folks what this court hearing is about. It's about I'm assuming the ICE agents being able to work with marines to kind of go into homes, into communities and conduct these raids. But can you give some more laboration as to what folks need to know about this hearing and kind of what your expectation is given the fact that there are two Trump judges on this circuit panel today.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So, I mean, so this is about federalism, This is about tenth Amendment, this is about the rule of law, this is about our constitution. It's about you know this idea that you know the Founding fathers, you know, their response to a monarchy and king was was this this you know thing we frankly times take for granted. And and so that's what ultimately is being tested here. And that's the theory that Donald Trump can unilaterally decide to militarize the streets of America. Happens to be in La now, will be in your city next. He did a national order, which, by the way, is the point about this being your sitting next. It's not unique to California. That allows him to if there's a protest, to unilaterally under this section twelve four oh six under the you know, I don't want to get into more details, but under rubric that's well established as it relates to Title ten, under his authority the federalized of the federalization of the National Guard to decide to militarize by commandeering the National Guard, which he's done in California, four thousand National guardsmen and women have been taken out of my command and, by the way, taken off the beat of doing forest management, vegetation management. Three quarters of what we referred to as our rattlesnake teams that we're preparing for wildfire season now been pulled off. Counter drug task forces to deal with fentanyl. They've been pulled off the counter drug task forces, including on border issues where they've been deployed for almost six years. They've been pulled off, including now the streets where a lot of these are police officers, members of law enforcement and their day jobs and now have been commandeered by the President of the United States for ice enforcement. And so that's fundamentally a question at hand. We won case thirty six page injunctive belief that we got from Justice Bryer last week, and they immediately ran it to the appellate court, and today at noon will determine our fate. And if you know, we're successful, and I believe we should be and will be, that will be a big day in the rule of law.
Speaker 2: I guess we'll see what happens next. I will say I think that this is an issue that has broken through really like none other, immigration enforcement, specifically because it's impacting every community. Republican, Democrat, independent, doesn't really matter. And I think we saw that over the weekend with No King's Day protests about five million folks conservatively nationwide, hundreds of thousands in Los Angeles, San Diego. What's your reaction to the protests on the ground.
Speaker 1: People stepped up, They stepped in, and they're the antidote. I've said it. I said it in a speech the other night.
Speaker 3: I mean, you're the antidote to that fear of anxiety, the cynicism you may be feeling. All that's stacking of stress. And you know that's stacking of stress. It's real, not just the stress the last five months and all things Trump. But look, I mean everything you guys have everybody's been through, right, the pandemic and social unrest, you know, George Floyd, you know, you know, the macroeconomic challenges, supply chain disruptions, and obviously now just this this, you know, this next level disruption and authoritarian tendencies that we're all trying to push back against against Trump administration. But people, what was so amazing about this weekend is it showed people I haven't given up. And that's extraordinary, and I think, you know, it's you know, there's an old adage, you know in business, we talk about success leaves clues, the power of emulation, And I think the more people show up, the more people feel like they're not alone, and the more likely others will start to show up, and there's a contagion and a positive sense here.
Speaker 1: And that was on display over the weekend.
Speaker 3: And that's honestly, like, that's that's if I have any hope left, that's it, because I'm not you know, you know, look at looking at what's happened to Congress, look at what's happening in our institutions, look at what's happening to law firms that are capitulating and selling out. Look what's happening to ethics and these attacks and assaults on our courts. Was left is we the people and the power of people organizing and expressing themselves. I mean, that's why I quoted Justice brandeis in a democracy the most important office, sorry Donald Trump? And ain't the presidency the most important office's office of citizen active non inert citizenship. And that's what we're seeing.
Speaker 2: And I think it's important to note that the overhalling majority of those protests were peaceful. Across the country, they were peaceful. People were I mean, the San Diego PD tweeted out saying thank you for being peaceful, thank you for exercising your ferston on the right.
Speaker 3: And my nieces and my nephew's out there, my sister was out there, and they had, you know, crayon and they were doing their own signs.
Speaker 1: I mean, it was next level peaceful.
Speaker 3: And what a point of contrast to the weaponization of the extreme exceptions that you see on some of these propaganda networks that said otherwise. So no, and that's by the way, it's critical one of them.
Speaker 1: Forgive me. It's an aside.
Speaker 3: One of the most extraordinary things that I that I've been able to do as governor was getting to know this guy James Lawson, and some folks may know, as some people may not passed away recently, and James Lawson was the one that introduced doctor King to Gandhi and non violent protests, and he was living in Los Angeles during the George Floyd that I had a chance someone introduced me. He said, boy, you really need to meet rev and Lawson. You talk about moral authority. Man like he just in this presence and I never met him, and I'm like, you just just your thunderstruck. And I remember being in a around table meeting with leaders of the of BLM and others that were out there protesting, and he started read them the Riot Act.
Speaker 1: He said, this is not the way we did it, and.
Speaker 3: I'm sort of sitting back on and he starts lecturing them, said, you've got to have a plan, you got to have a strategy, and you cannot be violent, and you cannot condone violence. And he talked about the power again, moral authority and movements and how movements, you know, becomes sustainable, and I'm just reminded of that. It's so important that we are reminded of our better angels. And we cannot condone the violence. We cannot allow for that. It hurts the movement, it sets us back. And it's exactly what Trump wants. You're just handing it to him. That's what he's looking for, so we can further command and control, so we can further militarize the streets of the United States. It's exactly what he wants. Let's not give it to.
Speaker 2: Him now, Governor, final question, and before you go, I want everyone to go and subscribe to the top left cornerhand subscribes to the governor substack. What's your message to folks who are worried or afraid or scared want answers, but they feel like they don't really have them right now?
Speaker 1: What's your message to them?
Speaker 3: You just keep doing what you're doing. The fact that you're even listening to this means back to you know, you haven't given up the fact that you're still in the game. You still care, you still care about your kids. Don't care about your family, your community, this nation, the world we're trying to build your you know, look, this is this is the moment. I mean, we're in it. We are in it, and it goes in two directions. We can roll over, you know, we could let him succeed. We can watch you know, this two hundred and fifty year experiment that completely collapse on itself. But we also have incredible power in resilience to push back. And so I just I pray. I mean, this is not a politician saying this. Man, I got four kids and you know, and I know we're out of time, but I'm not making this up. I was with a twelve year old. I got a twelve year old daughter. I was with a twelve year old the other day down in Oxnard, California. And I can't unsee this, I can't unexperience this. Both of his parents were snatched from him twenty plus years going in the same fields in Oxnard. He was born here it's a sixth grader tears rolling down, I mean streaming down. He couldn't even look at me in the face because every time he tried to talk, he just started a break down. That's Donald Trump's America. He took his mom and dad. We just found his mom. They just found his mom in a detention facility. He was left with nobody, has no brothers and sisters. There was no one to take care of him that night. That's and Donald Trump is trying to tear this country apart. He's going after blue cities, he's going after blue states. He's not the president of the United States. He's asserting himself exclusively as a president of red states. And we cannot allow that to happen. But we can't turn into him. As my long winning point, don't turn in to him. We're better than that. Everyone wants to be loved, Everyone needs to be loved. We all want to be protected, we all want to be connected, and we all want to be respected. And so I just I pray that people recognize that we're all better off. We're all better off. We're all in this together. Divorce is not a damn option. I'll keep going on. I'm just saying, man, don't give don't give up, and yes, divorce is not an option. And so I'm just counting on people. And you know again, I say that just selfishly as a dad, and so thank I just appreciate anybody that tuned in and thank you for tuning up in terms of being accountable to this moment, society becomes how we behave, We are our behaviors, bottom line. Not things are not happening to us. They are happening with us, and so we have the ability to manifest the better future. It's decisions, not conditions. So I think everybody, let's make the wise choices and let's not give into this cynicism and let's keep at it.
Speaker 2: You heard it here for his governor. Thank you so much for coming on. Go subscribe to the Governor's stack. This was amazing. Hope to hope to have you again soon.
Speaker 1: I appreciate it. Thanks for having me on, all right,