Speaker 1: Everybody. It's Bill Courtney. Welcome. Hold it, did I say I'm with an army and normal folks? You're okay?
Speaker 2: I think they know we're good.
Speaker 1: Okay, this is Courtney.
Speaker 2: You just said it.
Speaker 1: Well I am now okay, this is Bill Courtney with an army normal folks. Welcome to Shop Talk number one twelve. Welcome into the shop, Alex. Thanks Bill, Welcome into my shop, Alex. Whatever, it's my shop. Okay. The army and normal folks thing was your idea and everything, but my shop.
Speaker 2: Red Free, Baby Free.
Speaker 1: That's Shop Talk number one twelve, the pyramid that explains almost everything. Do you know?
Speaker 2: Could you know what it's about?
Speaker 1: I was that's weird that you asked. I was just about saying, don't say I have not prepped this at all. I think I know what this is about. But the listeners that are going to be this is going to be build to us together right after.
Speaker 2: The job first, what happened one hundred and twelve years ago.
Speaker 1: Well, okay, we can do that. After the messages. We never do, but we can switch it up to my shop. Sure, okay, all right, We're going to have brief messages and then we're going to come back after that and talk about the one twelve. Then we're going to the pyramid. How's that? That's good? Okay? Right after these brief messages from our general.
Speaker 3: Sponsors, everybody, welcome back into my shop the shop talk number one twelve.
Speaker 2: Say my house with Lisa.
Speaker 1: Uh No, that's her house. I'm allowed to stay there. So shop Talk number one twelve, the pyramid that explains almost everything we need to know. Alex, what happened one hundred and twelve years ago?
Speaker 4: So there was nineteen fourteen, Yeah, the assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand really, which led to World War One.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's kind of a crazy thing.
Speaker 4: I have once heard from a relative that our distant relative way back was his driver.
Speaker 2: Really is that crazy?
Speaker 1: Lucky you're driver didn't get capped too. Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 4: World War one begins, the Panama Canal opens.
Speaker 1: Holy smokes. That that would have made sense because we gave it back to Panama after one hundred years, which was about twelve years.
Speaker 4: It revolutionized global shipping by eliminating the need for shifts to sail around Cape Horn at the southern tip of South America.
Speaker 1: Oh, the Panama Canal. I can't. I read something about it. It's I won't recall the numbers, but it's Its influence on the world's gross domestic product was greater than any single thing in the history of man.
Speaker 2: Have you been there?
Speaker 1: No? I have not.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it'd be cool to do one day. It would be the Christmas Truth. Have you heard the story before? I don't even know what it is.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: December nineteen fourteen, thousands of British and German soldiers spontaneously stopped fighting along parts of the Western Front. They exchange gifts and Carrol's and, according to many accounts, even played in formal soccer matches. It's one of history's most enduring reminders of shared humanity amid war.
Speaker 1: I love that story, but then it's so horrific to think. Then the next day they went back shooting at each other. How do you do that? I don't understand. It's weird out there. It is weird out there. Okay, that's it. Let's all all right. Chop Talk number one twelve, The pyramid that explains almost everything. Have you ever noticed that when someone's life starts falling apart, it's usually not because just one thing is wrong? Maybe they lose their job, maybe they can't pay the rent. Then that creates stress at home, health starts to suffer, they withdraw from friends. Pretty soon one problem is turned into five. Well, the opposite of that is also true. Sometimes one act of kindness doesn't just solve one problem, it's solving several. Provide a child a bed. Now they sleep better. Now, they pay better attention in school. Now their parents sleep better too, because someone's mentor. And they don't just gain advice, they gain confidence, hope, someone who believes in them. It turns out that our needs are connected. Back in nineteen forties, a psychologist named Abraham Maslow tried to explain this with a simple idea. He believed and by the way, yes I know all about this.
Speaker 2: I know you do. That's why I did it right.
Speaker 1: He believed the human beings have different kinds of needs, and they tend to build on one another. Before most of us can chase our dreams, we usually need a a safe place to sleep before we can become the best version of ourselves. We need people who love us and believe in us. Whether his model is perfect or not, I think he stumbled onto something really important. Human Flourishing doesn't happen all at once, it happens one need at a time. Maslow pictured these needs like a pyramid at the bottom, or physical needs, which are food, water, sleep, shelter. It's hard to think about your life's purpose if you hadn't eaten in two days. It's hard to focus in school if you've spent the night on the floor. It's hard to dream big when you're simply trying to make it to tomorrow. That's why organizations like Sleep in Heavenly Peace matter so much. They're not just building delivering beds to kids without them, They're creating the foundation that makes everything else possible for that kid to flourish. The next level of maslow hierarchy and needs pyramid is safety, a safetyhood, a stable job, reliable transportation, healthcare. Knowing your lights will still be on next month. When those things disappear, fear takes over, and fear has a way of shrinking our world. We stop taking risk, we stop trusting people, we stop thinking about tomorrow because today feels uncertain enough. That's why Habitat for Humanity doesn't just build houses, they create stability. Organizations that help people find jobs don't just increase incomes. They restore security. When people feel safe, they begin to look beyond survival. Then we arrive at what I think may be the most overlooked level of the entire pyramid. Belonging, family, friendships, neighbors, a church, a team, a community, Dare I say a club. We were never designed to do life alone. There's a reason loneliness has become one of the greatest challenges of our time. We can have thousands of followers online and still wonder whether anyone would notice if we disappeared. Most of us don't need another Dad gumb app We need a friend. One of the reasons I believe so deeply that our local service clubs aren't just about serving, they're about belonging. You stop being someone who volunteers once in a while. You become part of an army. You start recognizing faces, You start knowing names. You start celebrating birthdays, helping each other move, showing up when life gets hard. Service becomes the excuse. Friendship becomes the gift above, belong above, Belonging becomes esteem. That's a fancy psychological word for something pretty simple. People need to know they matter. People need to know they're capable that they have something to contribute. One of the greatest mistakes we can make is that so many people only need our help. Most people also need our belief. Think about the best coach or teacher you ever had or boss. They probably didn't just teach you something. They convinced you that you could do something you didn't think was possible. That's what esteem looks like. It's dignity, it's confidence, it's purpose. Beginning to wake up. Finally, Maslow talked about self actualization. And by the way, this one's huge. That's becoming the person you were created to become. That's someone who uses their gifts, growing your character, doing meaningful work, living with purpose. But here's the part that I find fascinating. Near the end of his life, Maslow realized he may have stopped too soon. He began writing about another level, something beyond even the tip of the pyramid, one he called self transcendence. This idea was simple. The happiest, most fulfilled people weren't just becoming the best version of themselves. They were helping someone else become the best version of themselves. Remember I'm a psychology major. I studied this and it you know, as I read this all the way through, I start thinking about I've evoked mas Low's hierarchy needs and interviews for right And as I read this and go back through it, and I haven't done it in years, transcendences where the world changes in my mind. So the happiest, most felled people weren't just becoming the best version themselves. They were helping someone else become the best version of themselves. When I think about the people we've interviewed on this podcast, I see that over and over and over again. None of them seem obsessed with themselves. They're obsessed with someone else's flourishing. And maybe that is the secret. Maybe the purpose of climbing the mountain or ascending the pyramid isn't simply to stand on top. Maybe it's to reach back down and help someone else get up there with you. I think that's what an army of normal folks really is. Some of us are helping meet physical needs, some create safety, some are offering friendship, some are building confidence, some are helping people discover a purpose. We're all standing on different parts of the mountain, reaching for the people below us. And here's the beautiful thing. You don't have to help everyone. You just have to help someone, and every action you take help someone take another step. So here's my challenge this week. Think about one person you know, simply one person, and ask yourself, where are they on the mountain and what do they need? Then ask this question, what's one thing I can do to help them toe the next step to ascend, just one more little bit up the mountain, up that pyramid. Because changing the country doesn't happen through one giant leap. It happens one step at a time, one relationship at a time, one need at a time, one normal folk you doing what they can, one person, one step at a time, and together. If we had millions of people doing that for one another, that's just not help. How we help people survive, it's how we help people flourish, and therefore society flourish as a result of a group of people flourishing. That's the power of an army of normal folks. Love it, Alex, I'm so glad you brought up Maslow hierarchy needs. Yes, I studied it over and over again. The first time I was ever introduced to the idea was in a class taught by doctor Ken McGraw in developmental psychology. Doctor McGraw was one of the country's foremost developmental psychologists and researchers. He actually wrote the textbook that was used across psychology departments across the United States that we used. So I was being taught by the professor who wrote the textbook on developmental psychology, and he spent a few days, which in college, if you spend more than two lectures on one thing, it's on maslow arc needs. And he really encouraged us not to just learn the science behind it, but to think about how to apply it in our own lives. And if we became psychologists one day, which I obviously did not enter practices, and I do believe it is. I really wish everybody would just google Maslow's hierarchy needs pyramid and look at the levels that Alex had us share today, and look at the levels and it makes just so much sense that you can't self actualize, You can't feel good about yourself if you don't have food, and you certainly need food and water before you need shelter. But without shelter, you're worried about every day. So how can you plan and think about the future of your life if you don't have shelter and the higher cave needs. It just goes up the pyramid until you reach the tip top. And if you do all of if you're able to satisfy all those needs, you're self actualized, a fulfilled human. And if an army in normal folks can help folks ascend that pyramid, I think there's some science behind the fact that we can help society improve.
Speaker 4: And make sure we're all the way up on the top of ourselves. There's a quote I love that you can and give what you don't have. Yeah, it's true the first doing it yourself too.
Speaker 1: It's good stuff. Alex.
Speaker 4: I have nothing to add. I just had a question. Where did you do your grad program? I don't you didn't finish, but like, did you take this from him?
Speaker 1: At Old Miss? Your grad program? So at Old Miss? This is back then it was a little different than it is now. You could take five hundred level classes if you got through your undergraduate time, and those five hundred level classes were basically the first level of master classes. And then when I came home to Memphis after graduating and had those, I enrolled at the University of Memphis and started on my masters then I'm at Leasta in the wheels came off. Yeah, yeah, that makes sense.
Speaker 2: That's how I just never knew where you actually did the grad school.
Speaker 1: It was. It was Memphis, but it was a short stint because I had the first levels from Ole Miss and then I started at Memphis. And then actually the school I was teaching at, I was the assistant football coach and was doing the school at night for the most part some weekends, and the head coach quit maybe ten days before our first game, and here I am, a twenty three year old college graduate's assistant football coach. Principal came to me and said, we have no time for a search here our head coach. And at that point I was like, I cannot do all I'm doing and be response for this whole football team. So I finished classes intending to go back after football season. But I met Lisa during football season and that.
Speaker 4: Was that, and you self actualized with coaching and Lisa.
Speaker 1: That's true, I completely did. So that's it all right, Everybody, y'all really google as those hierarchy needs and think about it and think about where you fit and what you need to do for yourself, But also think about one person in your life that you can help ascend that pyramid, ascend that mountain. It's good stuff. If you enjoyed this episode, please share it with friends on social subscribe to the podcast, rate it, review it. Join the Army at Normalfolks dot org. Join or start one of our local service clubs. Take the ten level challenge, buy our merch look up as those horric you need, do anything that you can to help us grow an army and normal folks. I'm Bill Courtney. That's shop Talk number one twelve until next week. Do what you can