Speaker 1: Some of the content of Patriots Unfiltered may not be suitable for all audiences. Listener discretion is advised.
Speaker 2: The Worlds of Pigeon podcast.
Speaker 1: Live from Patriots Training Camp.
Speaker 3: This is Patriots Unfiltered, presented by Toyota dot Com.
Speaker 2: All right, we are live from Patriots training camp. This is Day one of Patriots training Camp. We are high above the practice field at Gillette Stadium and we are sponsored.
Speaker 4: By Toyota dot Com.
Speaker 2: Up your game by going to Toyota dot com to see the best selection of hybrid, all wheel drive and four wheel drive vehicles of any brand. Toyota is the official vehicle of the New England Patriots.
Speaker 4: Toyota.
Speaker 2: Let's go places, all right, it's Poppo perfect. Paulparillo, Fred Kersh, Mike do So, Evan Lazar will be here until after Session seven or period seven here at Page's training camp, at which time we have to turn off our cameras. But up until then you're gonna hear and see what we see. We can't wait. It is day one. The crowd's here, the weather is perfect, the field looks pristine.
Speaker 1: And everything's perfect.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we got dogs to adopts. It's a big day. Here at Jillis Stadium.
Speaker 5: Well, Fred, I start looking back at last year when we were sitting up here and Mike Rabel was here. We didn't know quite what to expect and how it was all going to go. I think everybody was excited to have Mike Rabel back.
Speaker 1: And you know, but.
Speaker 2: Are you losing your voice?
Speaker 5: I have a little bit of Lisbibe, of course, the night before the Success Show, I think so I was screaming a.
Speaker 1: Lot last night.
Speaker 6: He's normally the hype man at training camp, so he was practicing last night and he had ye pull himself out of the lineup, scratched.
Speaker 7: I'll power through.
Speaker 1: But you know, last year crazy go to the super Bowl.
Speaker 5: Now the question is can you establish establish yourself as one of those teams every year that's going to be a contender, whether you have some injuries you don't.
Speaker 1: You know, Drake made a huge part of that.
Speaker 2: Yep. And we've got some new additions this year, of course that make it a little different from last year. A J. Brown being one of the notables. But you know, you're brought in a bunch of new players, new draft picks, so every year is different, you know. And the question was asked of Mike Rabel just before we came on air, about how do you, you know, make it so that players know that you haven't won anything yet everything's different. And Rabel came back, and you know, he often comes back and disagrees a little bit, and he says, you know, we do that every week.
Speaker 4: It's not just season of season, it's week to week.
Speaker 2: You know, whatever happened last week, this is a new week, new opponent, new challenge, new opportunity. So for him, it's just the normal course that you know, we're gonna we're gonna start fresh this year.
Speaker 5: Seems like Super Bowl is still a little bit on Robert Splaine mine yesterday and we heard from him talking about wishing he picked off that pass in front of Chance n though.
Speaker 1: But they got to turn the page. But I think it's exciting.
Speaker 5: I mean, it's just hard to imagine how they live up to what they did last year. Expectations are higher, all the teams are going to be gunning for them a little bit more. But it all starts today and I think I'm most excited just to see Drake May your.
Speaker 1: Two in this system. Josh McDaniels, what do they got cooked?
Speaker 5: For him, as you know last year coming in second place in the MVP voting. I mean, I don't know, as you said have on the show this week, I don't know if he's gonna compete seventy two percent.
Speaker 3: Of his pass yeah, this year an NFL record for completion percentage.
Speaker 1: I don't know if Tammy team's apart down the field, I mean, depth of target, all those things.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I hey, don I enough about last year?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 3: I mean, let's get excited about this year. And if you aren't excited on day one and training camp, you're in the wrong profession. I mean, this is what it's all about. This is the start of a new season. And I think what's so cool to me over the time that I've covered the team is thinking about all the star power that this team now has that it didn't really have just a couple of years ago. Even last year in training camp, we didn't know that Drake May was going to be a runner up for MVP.
Speaker 2: We didn't know how.
Speaker 3: Good Milton Williams was going to be in a bigger role. We didn't know, you know, some of these different things. And now you come to Patriots training camp and it's Drake May, it's a J. Brown, It's Christian Gonzalez, it's Milton Williams. You know, these big name players that were all part of those you know, postseason accolades and things like that. Last buyer, Kevin Bayern, another All Pro player. Now it feels a little bit a little bit like it did, you know, in the Brady years when you came to camp and you had all these stars all over the place. So that's what I'm most excited about, is the star power and the day oneness of all of this. Is last year was last year.
Speaker 8: Right, We're moving on.
Speaker 6: But I I do understand what des is coming from, and I know why a lot of the questions are about that, because I think that was such a big part of the success.
Speaker 7: It's not about like you.
Speaker 6: Surprised everybody last year, but I'm talking about how they surprised everybody. And I think the big part of that was the way that they built the team, the culture from within, and just that locker room and how tight the locker room was.
Speaker 7: Can you duplicate that?
Speaker 6: Can you continue to you know, find ways to not motivate because obviously, you know, I think Rabel used kind of an offshoot a paraphrase of what Evan just said, If you're not motivated in this business, it's not gonna last very long. So obviously these guys come in motivated, but can they develop that same kind of team first mentality, that culture from within that I think was so important to the success last year.
Speaker 7: Can they do it again?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just think you He brought up Robert spuline yesterday, and I just love Robert Spulain's attitude because he's he's like us, right, like he's geeked up, but he's ready to go for training camp and he's just so excited. You could tell just him standing up there and just how excited he was to get things going and get things rolling. And maybe I think, you know, going back to what he said about the JSN path that he felt like he could have picked off in the Super Bowl, I think the motivation for them guys is everybody kind of thought we were an easy schedule last year, and we got breaks and we didn't have a ton of injuries, and Bo Knicks gets hurt and we played Jared sind him in the AFC Championship Game. So I think that this team that the guys that are holdover is still have a lot to prove that that wasn't a fluke last year.
Speaker 4: And it wasn't a fluke.
Speaker 2: And don't forget that when the schedule came out we were the easy team on other people's schedule. Sure we were thought to be the easy team on other people's schedules. Yeah, Like I always say, you can't judge a schedule until the season's over.
Speaker 5: Right, And the big thing you heard last year, remember one of the first things Mike Vrabel said was we got to find if we can take advantage.
Speaker 1: Of bad football. That was their starting line.
Speaker 5: And even now you're hearing that, still him talking about being able to get to that point take advantage of bad football. The other one is you're hearing the same theme of earn a role, you know, finally make the team and prepare to win the same talking points for training camp this year. So you know, I think's got a system in place, and you see him kind of going back to the well and hopefully it works again.
Speaker 7: And I do think I'm sorry, go ahead, Fred Well.
Speaker 2: Taking advantage of bad football you can only do if you're not playing bad football. And to me, the biggest difference between last season and the two seasons prior, was they to a degree stopped playing bad football, stop beating themselves. And in this league, if you can do that, you're going to end up on the winning side of a lot of games.
Speaker 6: And that's why I think when he went over just before our show started, when he spoke today and he started talking about the characteristics of the losses last year, you know, and he's breaking down very detailed things. You know, the Pittsburgh game, everybody remembers all the fumbles, you know, and he talks about the Buffalo game and it's like you compare the quarterbacks. He's putting that on the defense. He didn't do anything to disrupt Josh Allen. You know, we got to do some stuff. And he talks about something like the special teams. You know, Ray Davis had a big kick return in that game, you know, giving them some shorter fields and things like that. So they're very specific details. He remembers. It's the good, the bad, and the stuff that gets you beat. He knows the stuff that got them beat. And the four losses that they had last year, he remembers it very quick.
Speaker 3: There was only four of them, so it was pretty easy that was when he was going through that, that was what I was thinking about.
Speaker 8: I was like, well, that was all of them.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I asked them why they won every one of those fourteen games that right.
Speaker 5: Now, and that's what's you know, how's this team going to evolve this year too? And I mean I think they're going to have to evolve. They've got I mean, it starts Week one in Seattle. I mean, that's such a huge test.
Speaker 1: For Drake May.
Speaker 5: I mean, we know what the storylines are going to be, we know what the super Bowl look like. They've already started challenging Drake May this summer. You know, I love We talked about the stuff in mini camp that I love where he's going to the line with no play call, he's got to read the defense, figure out what to get them into. He's going to get great opportunities against the Colts defense. He's going to get great opportunities against the Eagles defense two days. So I think those are all things that, you know, hopefully helped Drake continue to ascend. And I mean he's the wild card. We talk about a harder schedule and maybe the will be more injuries this year.
Speaker 1: As Paul said, last year. If he plays great, you can off set just about it.
Speaker 2: Well. One of the things it's becoming a tradition here at the opening day of training camp is pet adoption, and right now down on the field, I believe mister and missus Kraft are down there with the dogs. If we can go to that, there's Robert kraft Ert and I think there's about twenty one dogs or so up for adoption that they brought to the field, just like they did last year. Last year was such a success that they did it again and all the dogs last year were adopted, and I would imagine that the same thing's going to happen this year.
Speaker 1: It's like sixty dogs this year. It's crazy.
Speaker 4: I want sixty.
Speaker 3: I want to show the person behind mister Kraft with doctor Dana. I think they're Andy Borgalis, who has like five dogs and his wife. He's going to get a fan I think adopted one last year without telling him and I'm just worried for him his wife.
Speaker 7: I'm worried for.
Speaker 8: Him that that's going to happen again.
Speaker 5: So ye, well, that dog we just saw too great event beans. There's some great pops down there. We shot a video with Dante Scarnecki this week to help promote the event.
Speaker 1: But some great pops, a lot of dogs gonna find rooms today.
Speaker 2: I wish I could take them all. I you know, I just it's it's so great. So if that's a Patriots Potriots uh program that they have going now, it's a it's a big thing. You can go on Patriots dot com and look it up and see all the stuff that they're doing. Uh. So they'll be doing things throughout the season.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 2: And you know you can get involved and just check out online when the next event is and and.
Speaker 7: Will's got a new friend.
Speaker 2: There you go, yeah, there you go.
Speaker 1: He's got that dog with them.
Speaker 2: He's got a little beagle who he will die for that dog.
Speaker 4: Eric Adler, our photographer.
Speaker 5: Now, it's a fun way to start. It was funny when we're when we were shooting the video docs. Just bring a smile to everybody's face, you know. And you have these most of the construction guys, you know, construction guys driving by, and you know, and they're like a stern face on and oh the little pops.
Speaker 1: You know, everybody loves it. So it's developing into a fun little tradition here.
Speaker 2: Yep, so that's going on down there. Players are you know, slowly getting down on the field. Practice officially starts at what ten fifteen, Yes, yeah, so we can't show period one, but once period two starts, our cameras will be on the field and you know, we'll yeah, so we'll kind of play by play what you're seeing and what we're seeing.
Speaker 5: So we don't gave Acus isn't here, Mike Rabill, you know, lay that out yesterday.
Speaker 1: Contract issue.
Speaker 5: We don't know exactly what he felt confident that they were going to figure it out though, so that, you know, made me feel pretty good. But I think what we're all looking for today Christian Gonzalez, is he participating?
Speaker 1: What's he doing?
Speaker 2: He's a correction.
Speaker 7: Practice starts at ten thirty, ten thirty.
Speaker 2: Sorry, Yeah. On the Acus situation, I think he's doing his best to only say positive things, yep, but I still sense that he's annoyed at the whole situation. Someone asked us if he's local, and he's and he said, no, you know, he's not in New England. So I still get that sense that obviously this isn't an ideal situation for your second round draft pick.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, you know, I would just say too, if Kaye Backus hasn't gotten here and gotten set up, I would prefer him to be somewhere else where he's training and staying in shape and has a system in place, rather than he can't come to the facility. So if he's around here trying to find a new place story, you know, Like, so I don't that's not that big of a deal to me, But I.
Speaker 1: Hear what you're saying.
Speaker 5: Fred, It's clearly it's a contract negotiation.
Speaker 1: I mean, Greg Bdard asked him straight up, like, what's the deal? These are slotted now right dead on.
Speaker 7: I think it's a huge deal.
Speaker 6: So I really concerned that the Burt Breer report might have some validity to it, that they're sort of looking at this as maybe kind of a red shirt year for him.
Speaker 1: But what does that look like? Does that mean he doesn't sign a contract?
Speaker 7: No, Like he's just not going to be a big part of the equation.
Speaker 6: Ye, I think eventually, Like you know, that was the last one of the last things Mike said yesterday was I'm positive on that. Now you could interpret that two different ways, Like his outlook is I'm you know, he's taken a positive outlook or I guarantee he's going to sign.
Speaker 7: I'm positive he's going to sign. That's how which is how I took.
Speaker 6: You know, but I do you know, UH leave some leeway there sometimes words different.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Well, I think it's a good conversation because we all know they need that position desperately.
Speaker 1: We're gonna watch Elijah ponder out here.
Speaker 5: He's going to get a ton of reps next to Draymond Jones, well, Harold Landry gets back from pup. But I just see such opportunity and if there's any chance that gave Acus can make it out here on the field for training camp.
Speaker 1: I think they'll find a way. I think they'll find a way.
Speaker 7: I just feel like if it was imminent, he'd be here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I do too.
Speaker 3: My concerns with the gave Acus are more like big picture, long term me too, than they are about him being here like today of training camp. You know, I'm worried, you know, they he said yesterday Rabel did that they're going to take him at his word right now that he's healthy. Haven't seen him, but we haven't seen him, so we don't know one hundred percent if he's healthy or not, and something tells me that. You know, usually it's like guaranteed money, your payment schedule, or something along the lines of that. When it comes to these negotiations like does this is this an injury that they're worried about for like his longevity as an NFL player?
Speaker 2: Well, I leaves accurately again, and I'm reading the tea leaves too and what I'm about to say. But I just think that there was an overall annoyance at you know, not full disclosure into health. And I think when it comes to the contract negotiations, my sense and I don't know this, but it's less about money than it is contingencies. You know. Okay, so now there's some stuff that we didn't know about you. Well, we're gonna look for something to write into this contract that's going to protect.
Speaker 3: Us because the money is slotted, but the total value is slotted, correct, you know, how much they guarantee you.
Speaker 7: That's what I think the contingencies come that.
Speaker 2: Fresh talking considering the situation, the player is in no position right now to ask for more than the usual amount of guarantees. If anything, he should be making concessions and saying yeah, sorry about that, you know.
Speaker 8: I well, if we think that that's what.
Speaker 2: Happened exactly, Yeah, if we think that's what happened, and I don't you think that there's a good chance that that is that probably sounds we're right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but you know the draft, he was drafted fifty fifth, the fifty fourth pick as signed, the fifty sixth pick as signed, right, and so like they know exactly what am I getting number twelve?
Speaker 8: Yeah, ty, So.
Speaker 3: If they say, like, this is what you know, his agent is probably saying fifty four and fifty six got this, so we want that. And the Patriots are clearly thinking, well, we're not at a position to guarantee you that because we don't know what your health is and we don't know what's going on with you right now. And I think that's what we're haggling over, is guaranteed money in the contract. I don't know how you would like write like an injury waiver into a contract.
Speaker 2: I don't either, But I just think that there's a little bit of I don't want to say mistrust at this point, but I think there's some ruffled feathers on the side of the Patriots.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I just don't know who they're mistrusting. Yeah, I don't have the information.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I said, I don't know if it's mistrust as much as it is just ruffle feathers and uh so, Yeah, I hope that they just get get this ironed out because I was really impressed with the kid when they you know, drafted him. His whole personality and his passion and everything. So let's get him out here.
Speaker 8: That's the press College tape.
Speaker 5: I mean, that's what's annoying for me is just you knew they needed this position, Evan I, Paul. We talked all spring about this edge class, how bad they needed an edge Which one are they going to take? Everybody loved Gay Bacchus. He looked like he fit the mold. The Patriots told you that much, you know, in the in the episode of Forced in Foxborough. And that's why it's it's really hard to swallow. You knew this player had an opportunity to come in and immediately be part of this rotation.
Speaker 1: And it's even more glaring now with Harold Landry on pup.
Speaker 5: So you know, just it goes back to the needs that we've been talking about for the last year and that's really the one spot where you feel like they're missing an impact player of the.
Speaker 1: Key positions on a football roster that you want to have stars at.
Speaker 2: So let's hope for the best there. The other story we'll be keeping our eye on is Christian Gonzalez, and we know that he's up for an extension. And I think that's a complicated situation because he is in the same situation as the other cornerback in the league, Witherspoon, exact same situation with the same agent.
Speaker 8: And the same agent as gay Acus too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I think this, I think this really gets complicated. Who goes first, Witherspoon or Gonzales. Who's actually better? Who's better in the eyes of their agent? You know, is the agent gonna favor one over the other, or is he gonna be looking for the same for both so that his clients don't get bent out of shape. Oh you got more for him than you got for me.
Speaker 4: So it's complicated for the agent.
Speaker 2: It's complicated for the players, I think, and I think it's complicated for both teams that are trying to sign these guys to extensions. You know what, I hope the agent isn't doing is telling these players that you know, all the teams are being cheap or whatever, you know, or you know, hold out, don't don't participate. I hope though, agent isn't giving them that advice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well we'll see.
Speaker 5: I mean, it's it'll be a test of the old new hold in that we've become very familiar with in recent years. Yesterday Vrabel said he expects he's going to be here, that he's going to participate. We'll see what those conversations were like earlier today and what goes on on here on the field.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would expect him to participate the same way he did in the spring. He'll do position drills, he'll do walkthroughs, team things. As soon as they get to actual live team eleven on eleven's he won't be out there, which is exactly what he did in the spring. So if you want to call that a hold in, then I guess you can. I don't think that that's the full hold in. The hold in is like I'm not doing anything, you know, I'm not even gonna be in uniform. This is like a mini hold in. But I don't think you know. We mentioned the agent Fred with Witherspoon I don't think it's nothing.
Speaker 8: That it's also gay Bachus's agent.
Speaker 3: So right now the Patriots are in a stalemate with Christian Gonzalez and gay Bacchus, and it's the same agent that's representing both guys, and that I just think is a very complicated situation, you know, I really do. And then the Witherspoon thing also adds in another complication. You know, the reporting is is that they're closer in Seattle with Witherspoon right now than the Patriots are with Gonzales. So maybe Gonzales wants Witherspoon to go first, you know, who knows. But I've said this before. Witherspoon signs for thirty two, Gonzales signs for thirty two point one. Like, it's not like it's gonna be like a world's different if.
Speaker 6: Gonzales doesn't want that, What if Gonzales wants substantially more than whatever Witherspoon signs.
Speaker 8: I mean, I don't know how you could.
Speaker 3: Like, they're they're they're I think they're basically equal players, So I know, but he might not.
Speaker 2: But what if he But would that put him at odds with his own agent? No, because his own agent doesn't want to favor one guy over the other because that's gonna upset Witherspoon.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but whatever Witherspoon signs for is not Gonzales's problem.
Speaker 2: It's not Gonzalez's problem, but it's his agent's problem.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so what so I represent.
Speaker 2: You and Deuce, and I signed Deuce for a couple million more than you, and you feel you're as good, if not better, aren't you a little upset?
Speaker 7: But what does that have to do with the agent? That's Gonzales that feels like that.
Speaker 2: No, but now but he's mad at his agent?
Speaker 7: Now why he didn't make him sign for less?
Speaker 2: I'm telling them the guy that made less, the guy that signed for less, could be upset with the agent.
Speaker 7: Well, he could be, but then he shouldn't sign the deal, is my point.
Speaker 4: So that's that. My point is, you know, like.
Speaker 6: With a Spoon, shouldn't sign for thirty two if he thinks he's worth a lot more than that.
Speaker 2: Well, listen, it all comes down to what the agent is telling his clients right now, you know what what he's setting expectators. Whether you're a realtor selling a house for a client or a sports agent, you set expectations for your client. You tell him this is what I think we're going to end up with. So I'm sure that he's telling both clients what he's asking for, and you know.
Speaker 6: And then it's up to the client to say, well, that's not acceptable to me. That's my point. I'm not angry at the agent for negotiating, but I'm not going to sign unless i think I'm getting what I'm working.
Speaker 2: But but now you see how complicated it is, because let's just say that's the case.
Speaker 6: The guy representing both guys complicated.
Speaker 2: But I'm not even saying that, Like, let's just say Gonzo is telling his agent, I want X amount more. Okay, that makes it complicated.
Speaker 6: For me, But it's not necessarily an X amount more than with a Spoon.
Speaker 7: It's if he gets just the thirty two, I.
Speaker 6: Think I'm a lot more. I'm worth a lot more than that. If Witherspoon gets thirty seven, he might not say, well, I'm worth a lot more than Witherspoon, like it's the number, Like it's I don't necessarily he's going to be whoever signed second is going to be the highest paid guy.
Speaker 7: You haven't mapped that out. I think exactly the way it will work.
Speaker 6: The question is how much does the second guy want more than the first guy signs for it. You don't know until you see what the number is. I've heard some different stories again back to Albert Breer, that they're not just looking to squeak over the whatever the Trent McDuffie or the Patrick's or ten threshold.
Speaker 7: They're looking to blow it out of the water.
Speaker 6: If that happens, then I don't think he necessarily needs significantly more than Witherspoon gets.
Speaker 7: If Witherspoon goes way above, I just don't know how.
Speaker 3: I don't know why the Patriots or the Seahawks would would do that. You know, McDuffie just signed for thirty one million a year. Is a draft class, right, but he's a twenty twenty two class. This is the twenty twenty three class. They're all just as good as each other. So, but it happens, But that's just inflation. Like the next guy is just gonna sign for a little bit more than the previous guy did. So if I'm the Patriots, I'm saying, well, Trent McDuffie just got thirty one from the Rams. Yes, like the order of business is that you're gonna get a little bit more than that because it's a little bit further along, but not by much. You just signed it a couple of weeks ago, so I agree with you. But I'm just saying but I'm just saying it from the team perspective. You know, Trent McDuffie got thirty one, you're getting thirty two. Like if you're talking about getting thirty.
Speaker 7: Eight, that's how happen. That's what I'm saying. That's what That's how.
Speaker 6: Express blew out the bottle of water, right, But like he jumped to fifty, it was like ten more.
Speaker 7: And but these things happen.
Speaker 2: There's another way to approach it, both the player or the team is Okay, you're gonna get thirty two, but you're gonna get more guaranteed. You know, you can do it that way too and make the player happy.
Speaker 7: So oh, but either way, I'm blowing it out of the water.
Speaker 6: If I'm getting way more guaranteed than someone else, that's fine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, but that's money.
Speaker 5: I mean, to your point, Paul, if Christian Gonzalez wants to blow it out of the water, then we might be looking at not having Christians.
Speaker 7: And that's why I don't think it's all. Everything you haven't said is right.
Speaker 6: I'm and we've talked about this for six weeks now on the show. Is that you know, we've been going back and forth. Witherspoon's probably going to sign first. Gonzo is probably going to get a little bit more than Witherspoon, and.
Speaker 7: That's the way it goes.
Speaker 6: But that's like to your point, Mike, when you get a stalemate and a guy demanding a trade or a hold up, like that's how they happen. A guy just says, you know what, I know. That makes all the sense in the world. I think I'm worth more than that. Gonzales has done nothing to indicate that. He keeps saying how much he likes it here, how much he wants to stay here. He's saying all those things, but they haven't signed him yet. So until he signs, I'm going to be concerned about it.
Speaker 2: Who do you think is better, Whetherspoon or Gonzales.
Speaker 3: I think they're totally different players, which I think makes it difficult. You know, Witherspoon to me, is much more of an on ball production type of player and not less of like a shadow corner that's just gonna take this guy out of the assignment. So you know, he plays a lot of the nickel, a lot on third down, he puts his the quarterback. He's just around the ball a whole lot more.
Speaker 1: This is the quarterback.
Speaker 7: I didn't know, Yeah you might.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So you know, Gonzalez is a true boundary corner.
Speaker 4: So who do you think is more talented cornerback?
Speaker 5: I mean, I I just think the way Gonzalez affects the defense. I mean, I think Devin Witherspoon could play in any defense. He's an outstanding player. But when you're looking for specific.
Speaker 3: Needs, I think that it's a flavoring. It depends on what your defensive scheme is and what you you know, prioritize in corners. If you play a lot of man and you want somebody that's going to go out there and lock his man down, and then it's Gonzales. If you play a defense more like Seattle and are built more that way, then you're gonna want a playmaker like Witherspoon. And that's exactly how it was coming out of the draft. That's exactly how it is now. Like Witherspoon is a guy that is an on the ball a lot, and it's kind of like a ball howking player.
Speaker 2: From the corner position. But you know, sounds like a safety to me.
Speaker 7: He can cover. No, I'm not saying he's not a safety. He can he can do all those things.
Speaker 6: Now, if you're asking just pure athleticism, Gonzales, I think is a fluid more fluid athlete.
Speaker 2: Like the ability to shut down somebody in the NFL. Isn't that higher value than being around the ball a lot?
Speaker 7: I mean it depends, But who was the more valuable the Super Bowl?
Speaker 2: Are playing like? I don't know.
Speaker 7: They both had great games in the Super Bowl? Who was the more valuable?
Speaker 2: What's valued more in the NFL? The shutdown corner or a versatile corner.
Speaker 6: See, but you're making it sound like the guy who's the versatile corner can't cover.
Speaker 4: I didn't say that.
Speaker 6: But he's a shutdown corner. He's just maybe not as good as shutdown corner as Gonzales, That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: So what's value as a corner? The true elite shutdown corner is the most valued.
Speaker 7: I just think I don't think it depends on your scheme.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it depends on who you know.
Speaker 2: If you can have that shut down corner, you change.
Speaker 7: Witherspoon is more valuable to Seattle than Gonzalez would be.
Speaker 6: Gonzales might be more valuable to the Patriots, like I think even at all.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you're not.
Speaker 3: Trying to get in like bogged down by the semantics of it. It just they're very to me, they're very, very different players, And it depends on what kind of defense you want to run. If you want to run eighty percent zone like Seattle does, then Witherspoon's your guy, you know, like if that's if that's the type of defense.
Speaker 2: I look at it a lot like the pure elite edge rusher versus you know, the more versatile defensive linemen. You know, both have value, you don't have value, But someone that gets the most money is the one that that's different.
Speaker 6: Because I agree with you, I think they both have value in the edge because.
Speaker 7: They're they're rarer.
Speaker 6: Yeah, right, I don't think that there's any I don't think there are a lot of Witherspoons. He's a rare commodity. The guys that play the way he does is not not every cornerback in the league can do that. There are not a lot of guys that can Coverla Gonzales. They're both rare commodities. But the guy you would describing on the defensive line, to me, it's kind of a dime a dozen. The edge rusher who impacts games like just he's a flat out elites pass rusher. There aren't a lot of those guys. Those are planet players. Yeah, Miles Garrett, there ain't a lot of those guys around.
Speaker 1: Right, They're both great players.
Speaker 5: I would just say for me, I think you got to play man defense and having that ability to have that player if that that's the way I would lean.
Speaker 1: And I totally not saying that's the right way.
Speaker 5: There are plenty of NFL coaches that would say I'd much rather have a guy like Witherspoon in my defense, especially with Mike McDonald and the smarts that he has with his game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I believe when when you have a player in any position that is just so great in a lade at that position, you change things up to accommodate having that player because he's so good.
Speaker 4: There's head coach with uh?
Speaker 7: Is that BB?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 7: You guys have to help me out here.
Speaker 3: That's BBE and I gotta tell you, and I thought about it, very very nice looking, lady babe German shepherd mix.
Speaker 2: You thought about what a little bit.
Speaker 7: O Jesus. Okay, all right, didn't take us long to start working.
Speaker 1: Okay, I cuete Poppy a little smelly, but yeah, was he smelling? Smelling?
Speaker 7: Smell like outdoors.
Speaker 2: Puppies an't supposed to smell bad. Yeah, it's like they haven't developed the smell yet.
Speaker 3: Oh, God forbid, the dog smelled like a dog.
Speaker 7: Rather you just had the dog at them.
Speaker 1: I don't need the dog smell to him.
Speaker 2: Okay. Yeah. Practice starts at ten thirty, so we're still waiting for that to get going.
Speaker 1: Nice new Guardian caps. I got to point that out. That's my thing, you know, just that they're not quite as bulky and stilly. I like them better. I can see. Dogs went to the went to the new one, though.
Speaker 2: A little bit more streamlined than in the past.
Speaker 5: Streamline, you know, hopefully still protecting everybody's heads from concussions.
Speaker 1: But small change here at camp.
Speaker 2: Okay, the field itself, the grass. I don't know if they learned it from taking care of the World Cup field, but it is pristine.
Speaker 7: It does look perfect.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it does. It really is. I know the NFLPA is pushing teams to go to grass. How do you guys feel about that?
Speaker 1: Well, we'll just you know whatever wherever we got to play on more ready to go.
Speaker 8: I liked I liked that answer, Like I'm sorry, like.
Speaker 3: Just just stop the whining, just go play football and the like, I get it. I think that there's probably evidence in science that says the grass is safer than than a lot of this turf is. But uh, I mean they're going to play in some different surfaces this year. They they actually did the Athletic did their rankings of like who has the worst surfaces on their schedule, and the Patriots were near the bottom of it. Now they do have to play at MetLife, so maybe that's part of that and you know, influence there. But you know, I kind of think that it's a little a lot to do about nothing.
Speaker 2: I too. I mean, listen, thirty years ago, astro turf was terrible.
Speaker 1: It was almost like cement.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was terrible. But nowadays it's it's, you know.
Speaker 7: There's the field is a lot better.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're like ten generations away from that. It's it's a lot better. So I don't know, I don't know if there's more injuries on turf than grass, but I can tell you you know, come December, you know, those grass fields in the Northeast aren't really that good to play on either, right.
Speaker 5: And Plus if you watched the World Cup, it looked like there were quite quite frequently a lot of injuries that happen.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, judging judging from judging from soccer.
Speaker 1: Boy injuries and looks gruesome.
Speaker 2: Absolutely Luckily, recovery time.
Speaker 1: Seems a little quicker and it's like they're.
Speaker 7: Playing in Bay Route.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's no doubt that the data would suggest that there's a little bit more injuries on turf than grass, but I think it does. You know, Credie were talking about the generations of turf. It depends on how much you invest in the turf, right, like you know. And I think there's other places where the Super Bowl in Arizona I ride a couple of years ago, or that was a grass field and there's you know, dead patches all over the place and guys were sliding around on the paint and stuff like that. And so I think there's pros and const to both, but clearly the players think the grass is better and they practice a lot of these teams practice on grass, but then they don't play on grass. And I think that's where the the argument is, is like, well, we prefer grass because we practice on it every single day, but then when we get into the stadium, it's turf because that's what's better for the stadium.
Speaker 2: That's a good point. Yeah, yeah, yeah, all right, So we kind of focused on a lot of the not controversies, but you know, the storylines, the storylines, what are the some of the uh, you know, real positive stuff that you think are storylines that to start camp.
Speaker 5: Well, I just I'd kick it off with what Evan said about the talent that they've added, and you know, I think they did a great job this offseason continuing to build around Drake May. They drafted another first round pickle on the offensive line. We'll see where he ends up and how they work him in camp. But with aj Brown Romeo Dobs coming in, you know, this is what we always talk about. You get a young quarterback on a rookie deal, this is the time to make those moves and go get them receivers that can help him.
Speaker 1: So, you know, we were all Enamorred with AJ Brown when we saw him.
Speaker 5: Here comes Drake, you know all about him this season, but you know Romeo Dobs too.
Speaker 1: How does he kind of fit in? What is his role? How does he compliment A J. Brown? That's you know what I'm most interested to see.
Speaker 5: And then go right down the line with with the guys that coming back. I know a lot of eyes are going to be on Kyle Williams this year. He's got some speed.
Speaker 1: I think that is one element we talked about ed that that they need in this receiver room. Is that explosive ability.
Speaker 5: We certainly saw it against Tampa Bay with that touchdown he had. So the receiver room and Drake's chemistry with them, how they do against this defense, especially Gonzales, you know he isn't doing like the team stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, here we go, Drake may number ten.
Speaker 7: Thank goodness, Drake is here coming up that he's.
Speaker 3: Going to make the team.
Speaker 2: So do you think he looks bigger than last year?
Speaker 1: Not really, I don't know.
Speaker 8: I think he's always been a pretty well built guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean he's you know.
Speaker 5: I still think he was a kid when he got here. And every year you're going to see him kind of fill out a little bit. He's on the NFL conditioning and strength.
Speaker 1: Program, so that helps. But yeah, look good year three.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I like what they've been saying about him playing a little bit faster and playing with a little bit more urgency.
Speaker 8: I think was the word that Pray will use.
Speaker 3: I had looked this up a couple of weeks ago, and yes, last year they were twenty eighth in the league in pace. Just like how quickly time wise they moved offensively, and I think that that's something that you can do to kind of keep defenses.
Speaker 8: A little bit more off balance.
Speaker 3: And not allowed them to just kind of sit there and look at what you're doing and see your grouping and your formation. So I think that that seems to be the year two thing in this system. But Josh McDaniels, the biggest emphasis seems to be with them going a little bit faster offensively and getting out of the huddle quicker and get in the play in faster, and I think that would help with some of the things that they saw.
Speaker 4: And a lot of that's on Drake.
Speaker 2: He need, you know, if your quarterback has all the answers, if he, you know, gets it, you can go faster.
Speaker 4: You know, that allows you to go faster.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean just hearing from the coaches during OTAs and just saying how last year he was really on you know, maybe not high school level Josh offense, but it's a first year not trying to throw the whole kitchen sink at him out of the gate.
Speaker 1: His development this year, though, and as he becomes a master of this system.
Speaker 5: I think that is what could offset any kind of challenges that they that they might face.
Speaker 1: We know he has all the physical.
Speaker 5: Talent in the world, just can his mind reach that level too, And then you're really I mean, you're gonna have to complete player if that happens.
Speaker 2: And you know, we talked in the past about the new training center that the Patriots opened, the new Balance Athletics Center within that and hopefully later on in August we'll be able to actually show it to you. They have this virtual room, which is this huge room with turf, big huge led boards where you can bring Drake out and you can simulate what he's seeing as a defense and he can react to it real time. And uh, you know, I'm sure all the teams have that now, or at least most of the teams have it, but that it's gonna be I'm sure he's gonna spend a lot of time in that room going over all the various defenses that he's going to see this year. And the beautiful thing about it is on the other side of the room are all the position meeting rooms. So you have all these doors leading into this, so you know, the linebackers will be meeting in their room. Then they open the door and they walk out onto this virtual field and put put into practice what they just learned in the classroom. So it's it's really cool. It's really well thought out. I can't I can't wait to, you know, show fans what that all looks like.
Speaker 1: No, it sounds really cool.
Speaker 8: I want to I want to get a turn.
Speaker 2: Can I get in there?
Speaker 4: You want to get a turn in the virtual room?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I've been asking for that for four years. And can I go in there and with Drake and like, you know, be like all right, all right against the Seattle. It's the same as Maddie, right, Like it's not actually getting hit, Like I just got to press the right button on the controller.
Speaker 1: That's what you think.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Well, maybe we can arrange that too.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so content as much as the attention's going to the stars too. And I thought, you know, Evan did a great job setting up that there's you know, real talent on the field.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: I think for me, maybe the interesting thing, most interesting thing in.
Speaker 5: This campus just the depth battles and where are you know, guys the third running back, you know, the third linebacker, who's going to be filling in for Gonzales.
Speaker 1: I mean, we saw Kendall Vildor this spring playing a lot outside and there's a J. Brown. He's got a pup with him.
Speaker 4: Nice, he's got the dog in them.
Speaker 1: But I think you go across.
Speaker 5: This roster, there's a lot of really interesting depth battles. You might know who the top line guys are, but there are opportunities for a lot of these young guys and maybe for a name that we're not really talking about to emerge here as we get going in camp.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think we're back into that world now where we're talking about the third safety and the third running back and who's going to be the backup in the interior of the offensive line, and you know, edge dresser depth not necessarily do they have enough frontline talent, but you know, do they have enough guys behind those guys to fill in? That brings me back to the gold, good old days where it's like I don't know if their fourth corner is gonna cut it, you know that sort of thing. And I think that they are pretty much besides maybe you know Eddrescher, which we keep harping on, I think they're pretty much there where the frontline talent is kind of taken care of and now we're just talking about do they have enough depth to get through seasons.
Speaker 5: It's kind of fun though, Like I like it, like the premie that's that's our wheel house looking out there, being like, oh god.
Speaker 1: There's just nobody's no, there's no star talent on this team. It's you know, you could be surprised by somebody.
Speaker 5: Maybe there's a guy like Michael you like is the most recent example.
Speaker 1: Maybe, but six round pick becomes a starter? Does that happen in another position?
Speaker 5: You know, does a linebacker emerge that you weren't expecting and maybe they're not just a depth guy. Maybe this is a player that emergenc that has you know, real starter potential.
Speaker 1: I know that's rare. UH been doing this long enough to know that you know, you're you're hoping for that to happen. But I think the situation.
Speaker 5: Is available across this roster that there's going to be some guys that can make this team that we're not, and you.
Speaker 2: Know, you can't, you know, not emphasize the fact that the coaching staff is in a situation now where they've got everybody most you know, everybody back from last year, a lot of continuity there, and that makes it possible for these young guys to emerge if they have a good coaching environment. You know, part of the challenge of any coaching staff is understanding who your players are and what their strengths and weaknesses are. And if you fully understand that, that allows you then to put them in positions to succeed and keep them out of positions where they're going to fail because that's just not what they do right Well, your.
Speaker 3: Boy, Yeah, it's I felt like that last year, Fred, where they got back to that where you know, Robert Splayan has to miss some time, Milton Williams has to miss some time, and those guys, their replacements weren't as good a players as those frontline guys were, but they still won games. It wasn't like, you know, they lost Milon Williams and then they all of a sudden went into the tank. And I you know, I think there's a lot of guys on this roster that are new you know, or newer you know, Corey Dirten, kJ Britt, you know, those players that are going to now be replacing Jack Gibbons and Kiris Toga. And you know, that's the big question with this team is can kJ Britt be as good, serviceable of a backup as Jack Gibbons was And if Robert Splainer Christian Ellis has to miss time, is he going to be able to fill in for those guys like Jack Gibbons did Last year they had a handful of those guys that really stepped up in those types of situations.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And I've always said there's no team sport in the world where coaching makes more of a difference in football. You know, if you have a good coaching staff, they know what they're doing, they're all on the same page. It makes it that much better for the players, you know, a learning environment and again putting them in positions to succeed because you understand what they can do.
Speaker 4: Good and what they can't do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and everybody's back. I mean verybel talked about that too yesterday.
Speaker 5: Huge opportunity for them. I mean, clearly the system worked to whatever extent.
Speaker 1: I mean it worked. You know, they got to the Super Bowl. We were too.
Speaker 5: You know, at the beginning, the expectations were like, can we just be the best of the bad teams?
Speaker 7: You know, and then they were.
Speaker 1: So now the bar raises.
Speaker 5: A little bit, but I think having that continuity on the coaching staff is just, you know, a huge bonus.
Speaker 1: And let's talk about DeAndre Hopkins too, who.
Speaker 2: Is going to be coaching a little Yeah, some of the media.
Speaker 5: Were a little bit confused yesterday, but you know, just I know, the guy was just in the league last year.
Speaker 1: But another veteran.
Speaker 5: Voice in that receiver room that has a ton of experience. Combined that with AJ Brown spent so much time talking about Stefan Diggs and the impact he made off the field.
Speaker 1: With his experience and his buyer.
Speaker 5: You know, I'm not saying that that that he's gonna confidence is going to come in here and be the emotional leader of this team, but I do think that that experience can only help that room.
Speaker 2: Big media hoard around the owner in doctor Craft Dooming talking about the dogs, but there might be some football questions sprinkled in there, and if there are, we'll get them to you later on. Obviously practice hasn't officially started yet, but it will in a few minutes.
Speaker 6: So yeah, the whole thing, like with the roster, and I would agree with you all the stuff that you guys mentioned. I think Mike hit on something very early in the show though, like it it's amazing when your quarterback hits how your roster looks so much better because I think if you were having the problems that they had, and I used to say this with Brady all the time, so I'm being very consistent. They had some years they were more talented than others. Fourteen is a glaring example. They had more they had more base level talents across the board than in most of those years.
Speaker 7: But it didn't matter.
Speaker 6: They they go to the Super Bowl all the time, they were going to the AFC Championship, what eleven years in a row, whatever, it was not all of those teams were as talented as the twenty fourteen. But when you got it in that position, when you got it solved, it lifts everything around it, and that that to me will be the key is right where Mike kicked off the show. Can Drake may get even better or establish himself that when.
Speaker 7: Last year is the norm, that's what it's going to be.
Speaker 6: Stats aside, that level of play, is that what he is and if you get that the next ten twelve years.
Speaker 7: You're going to be a contender.
Speaker 3: I mean, I'm looking at the receivers even last year and not any disrespect to those guys and made some great plays, but like Kaishan Boudi, you know Mac Collins, like.
Speaker 8: Are those guys that good? Or did Drake may look.
Speaker 7: The ball is.
Speaker 3: But you know they just were showing Rabel working with Jack Westover and Hunter Henry and I just think tight end is such a major uh position on this roster too. We talked so much about the edge and rightfully so, but behind Hunter Henry right now there is I think their combined catches of their career is one. I think if I'm not mistaken, and Jack it's Jack Westover catch on the flat. You know, it's not exactly a more dynamic play. So Eli Riarden is a guy that has a lot on his plate right now. Yeah, he's gonna have to be the backup tight end or they're gonna have to go out of house and bring somebody in at some point during training camp if he's not ready for it. So, uh, you lose Julian Hill in the spring, you at Austin Hooper walk. I think that's another spot that is just as glaring to me, along with the edge that that they could need some reinforcements there in a couple of weeks.
Speaker 5: I know, sorry, Fred, just I mean it's surprising because we thought they would sign somebody and the two people they signed were Mitch Vamba Camp, Franklin more.
Speaker 1: Camp body type. So we'll see. But those guys are going to get some opportunities.
Speaker 5: So you know, Jack Westover, he always just seems these last couple of years, just seems to make it through somehow finds.
Speaker 1: A role played fullback last year. He's another one to watch, all right.
Speaker 2: So in a few seconds, we're gonna have to turn off our field cameras. I think they have to. That's it right now, only for period one. So as soon as period one is over and period two starts, will turn those cameras back on. So why do we have to do that three minutes. It's because probably in period one they're actually walking through some of the plays that they're gonna do later on they go eleven and eleven, and they don't necessarily want that stuff streamed out live all over the world.
Speaker 1: Now, so now I can understand that usually works that way. It's a little preview of what we're going to be working on. Let's walk through it. We talked about it earlier this morning in the meeting. Walk through that. Okay, now let's get stretched out individual drills. We'll get back to it. We'll see some team stuff later.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I do like you can really tell that about a VRABEL practice that it all kind of builds over the course of the practice. First they do it in the classroom, then they come out and they do it in a walk through from the best Yeah, then they do it in a jog through, and then they actually do it at full speed. And you can tell how that like repetition is going to make sure that these guys understand the plays that they're supposed to be running at a high level.
Speaker 7: It's kind of cool to watch it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And every team does that same thing, except for back in the day the Atlanta Falcons. That that practice that we were at, that was one of the most disorganisms We had a joint practice with Atlanta Mike Smith. Mike Mike Smith was the coach walking around with this pits helmet and it was it was you know, it was one of we had great dvantage. We were like right on the field in between the two practice fields. But it was one of the most disorganized practice I've ever been to it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was gonna say not everybody does that, because I've seen some disorganized practices.
Speaker 7: Here where I'm like, wait, what are we doing?
Speaker 3: But you know here there's a clear sort of just like emphasis on on certain things or you know, organization to it that. Yeah, it's pretty easy to pick up on after you know, you watch it a couple of times.
Speaker 2: Every practice has a reason, you know, for being out there, and they build, like you said, they build up to the end where it all needs to come together.
Speaker 5: I mean you heard braves hit on it. I mean you're running in and off the field. I mean they want that game kind of tempo to it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you know, if you do it enough and practice, when by the time you get to the game, like okay, we've done that before. This is just how I remember that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we have a little bit of a nugget from Robert Kraft's media availability. Okay, he said that this is from Doug Kay and he said that the Patriots have offered Christian Gonzalez a contract that would make him the highest paid cornerback in the NFL and the highest paid player in team history.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 5: That feeds into what Paul said to me of the question with that, but is it high enough?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Does the agent agree with that characterization?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 2: You know, Yeah, there's a lot of details highest paid, what's the guarantee? Like, what's what's all that stuff like? So, but it's good to at least hear that the offer has been made and the numbers are up there.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's just like, again, it goes back to what Paul said, is is it enough?
Speaker 1: How much does he want? You know, it's it's weird how these things all work out, and.
Speaker 2: Is it you know, is it smart for him to not accept it until witherspo Yeah, you know, so it's a stare down.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, I'm just curious to see what do we how are we judging the highest paid player in Patriot history?
Speaker 3: I'm just relaying what the man said.
Speaker 6: All right, didn't Tom Brady make like fifty two million one year? Does that not count?
Speaker 2: I'm not sure.
Speaker 6: Well, I'm assuming I'm going to guess Christian Zalas is not going to get an annual value.
Speaker 8: I'm assuming it's total value of the contract.
Speaker 7: I would assume that too. Yeah, which gets back to Fred's point.
Speaker 3: Right, Well, I think Milton Williams right now currently has the highest because it's just going to be the next big ticket guy that I sign.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: The other thing that was out there is Mike Reeves reporting that the Patriots have made progress with gay Bacus on a contract, and he's being told that they are are making significant progress there and to get a deal done, so hopefully, you know, as long as I feel like with Acus, if he's here by pads, then I'm pretty then I think we're right.
Speaker 7: But like the health to me is like that.
Speaker 6: I thought Mike did a good job of explaining that, like, yeah, we hope he is. We don't know, would be crazy that he comes, he's here, he's signed, he's on pop Well he almost can he notot be right?
Speaker 3: Why he's on pup if he comes and fails the conditioning test, then he's going to go on Puppah.
Speaker 7: But my guess is he won't take it right away.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so they got to check him out. I mean there'll be some uncertainty even that initial news of oh this is great, he signed. I think there's still be some hurdles to get over.
Speaker 2: Where's thatch, where's Zach is from? Where does he live?
Speaker 3: I don't know. He played at Illinois.
Speaker 8: I don't know where he's from.
Speaker 2: Florida originally okay, because you know, Rabel said he's not New England. I just wonder where where in the world is gay Bad?
Speaker 7: Well, he keeps posting on Florida's hometown.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he keeps posting the videos of him working out on social media, like going through you know, pass rush drills and stuff like that. And he looked he looks healthy, but obviously those are curated to probably can look healthy.
Speaker 8: So you know who knows sating with one leg?
Speaker 2: Yeah, he puts out video of himself limping. It's like, you need to talk to yourself.
Speaker 1: It's got like the ice bags on his knees and it's not looking out Now.
Speaker 2: Christian Gonzalez, he.
Speaker 3: Was Christian Gonzalez was playing catch with some of the fans. Uh, walking around throwing throwing the ball around with some of the fans before practice.
Speaker 2: Okay, little pr Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: Working with Carlton Davis. We'll see what his schedules like this summer. I mean, no player.
Speaker 5: We uh thought I lost him for the season, and then he was just farmed last year.
Speaker 2: But you know, getting back to the talents of Christian Gonzales, we saw it right away. He's so fluid out there, you know, he's so graceful. Yeah, and that is a rare thing. That's a rare thing. Revis was like that obviously, Dion Sanders was like that. But to be able to mirror a wide receiver the way he does is a rare thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I think, you know, maybe he'll end up being a better player. But he reminds me in all ways of Steph Gilmore, like just size, athleticism, fluidity, personality, Like it just seems like he's a carbon copy of and Gilmore is a defensive Player of the Year, you know, and he's really really good player. So I just I remember his fluidity standing out at his combine. His combine workout is like you put that on, and like, if you're a cornerback prospect going into the draft and you want to see what should my ideal workout look like, just go watch Christian Gonzales go through the drills at the combine in Indianapolis.
Speaker 5: I mean, it's unbelievable us watching the draft and being like he kept falling and yeah, and then he's there for the taking.
Speaker 1: Get him. I still got him.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think Parcels used to call it swivel hips, those swivel hips to cornerback.
Speaker 1: Now he's outstanding.
Speaker 5: I mean, look, in a perfect world, was he was he a little bit more of a crazy tackle?
Speaker 1: I mean, you know, I think he's fine. I just I think.
Speaker 2: Bad rap that he's got. I've seen him come up in space and get down and it's not always the greatest form, but he does the job.
Speaker 4: He gets it done.
Speaker 3: That's I thought he tackled better as the season more on, and I know that there was some reporting about that that maybe they challenged him to tackle a little bit better.
Speaker 8: Around the Baltimore game.
Speaker 2: I think there's no doubt. I think if you listen to Rabel, I think being physical and being a little closer to the line was something that he was pushing him to do. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think they want to roll the coverage a little bit more than maybe they did in the old system, where he's playing the flat a lot more with the safety behind him. And if you're going to play that, you want him to be a better tackler because there because they're funneling the runs out to the wide edges, so you want to be able to have your corners tackle and come up and tackle. And I thought I saw more of that as as the season.
Speaker 2: War and listen two years ago before of Rabel, weren't they just terrible on the edge containing the run? It was just with you.
Speaker 5: But I think to the thing with him is like he's so athletic that like he has the ability to a job and get into a good position to make a tackle. Like he doesn't have to just come and blast the guy because he's you know, and he's not trying to like overwhelm with physicality.
Speaker 1: He's got the athleticism to form tackle and get into good position. So I don't know, he can't make every player perfect.
Speaker 5: There's a little bit more I like got him. And that's probably where you might look at Witherspoon all right, and a little bit more of that in him, more feisty. But it's fine. It's these kind of elite athletes are so hard to find and get in the building.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I remember talking to his coaches when they've drafted him back, you know, in twenty twenty three, and they said that he's such a good athlete that sometimes it looks like he's not trying because he's so it's just so effortless for him to move around the field. And you know, it's not that he's not trying, he's just that he's just that naturally gifted. I think sometimes that rat Fred comes from that where it's like he just makes it look so easy, right, you don't think that he's actually going full.
Speaker 2: Till Yeah, he's a finesse player and he's not.
Speaker 1: Yeah, are no so three corners?
Speaker 2: Speaking of natural gifts, we talked about the hope hopeful movement of the offensive line, the addition of Gilliam at full back, you know, a true full back, Trevion Henderson. I mean, what's the opportunity there for him, because if there was a knock on him, it was being maybe a little bit too patient in the backfield, not having the right vision, not hitting the hole, not being decisive enough. But now maybe with the holes being a little bit bigger and with it having you know, Gilliam in front of him, what kind of season could we see from Trevion Henderson?
Speaker 1: I mean, hopefully explosive.
Speaker 5: I think that's you know, the biggest thing to me were those big plays that he had. But you're right, Fred, I think you need a little more vision, You need a little more and passed protection for him to you know fully Earn Well, I didn't mention.
Speaker 3: That, but that's tracks that's the biggest thing to me. I want to see him take that next step as a receiver out of the backfield because I think his ability to stretch the field vertically out of the backfield could be really dynamic.
Speaker 8: And we see at practice.
Speaker 3: I keep going back to that joint practice against the Vikings last year where he took one up the sideline for like sixty yards.
Speaker 8: You see that speed.
Speaker 3: You get him matched up on a linebacker on a wheel route, and who's winning, you know, we we know. But in order to do that, the details, the pass protection, the route you know, routes, the route combinations and the options and all these different things that they throw at running backs.
Speaker 8: If you don't trust him.
Speaker 3: To be on the field in those situations from a mental standpoint, then you can't accentuate the speed in the passing game, you know, screen game, screen back. I think you can be.
Speaker 8: Really good at that as well.
Speaker 3: But you know, there's a lot of mental stuff that comes with all those different things, and that's what kept them off the field.
Speaker 2: I think. I think, you know, as Rayba would say, it's critical that he does earn that trust to be out there on passing situations, and I.
Speaker 8: Think it can be such a threat.
Speaker 3: You know, you can flex them out, you can put them, have him run wheels and seams.
Speaker 8: Out of the backfield.
Speaker 3: You can throw them the ball on screens and like he does any way that they can get him into the open field with that speed and no one's catching him.
Speaker 8: So if you get him in the open field on a.
Speaker 3: Screen, it's a touchdown, you know, And that's what you really hope to see.
Speaker 2: If they have another tight end to compliment Hunter, Henry, you.
Speaker 3: Know that was I mean, maybe, like Julian, you would have to say, this offense.
Speaker 2: Is absolutely loaded. I mean loaded.
Speaker 1: They got everything at their disposal and that's you know, exciting.
Speaker 5: Julian Hill would have given you that extra element you needed. That's one unfortunate part of it all. But you know, this is good shot here of trading on. But I point out Land Larrison and jam Miller, the two you know, other backs that have a real opportunity to get in there and play.
Speaker 8: I mean, we have Patriots breaking news.
Speaker 7: Christiana was signed.
Speaker 3: The Patriots have signed Gay Accus a year, eight point six million dollars contract.
Speaker 7: Awesome person. Jordan Schultz with it.
Speaker 3: First, I trust Jordan Schultz at this point and I really.
Speaker 1: Don't, but I'm gonna go with it, Trustywhere but to the star bus.
Speaker 3: So gay Accus is signed. Well, he's not out here today, but hopefully that means maybe they can get him back, you know, and get him on the field, you know, say in a week, and he can sort of catch up.
Speaker 1: That's a armstrings.
Speaker 4: So that's a great domino to fall.
Speaker 2: Because again we'll remind everyone, it's the same agent as Christian Gonzales, right, So the wheels are moving. Yeah, So the isis thought when it comes to acis with the agent.
Speaker 4: Hopefully the next thing to happen.
Speaker 1: Is Yeah, it's great. That's a great start.
Speaker 2: That's great. That's good news, really really good news to start off day one with camp. You got your second round draft pick at a position of need into the folds, so let's get his ass out here.
Speaker 7: I'm Sarah.
Speaker 1: We could use it all, but I do love you know.
Speaker 5: I think now it's like we just talked about five minutes ago before.
Speaker 1: Is he healthy? Is he ready to come in and do the conditioning test?
Speaker 7: Is he you know?
Speaker 5: And I always worry hamstrings come in. You haven't been around, you haven't been working out. Always worry about the hamstocks, tes guys, the.
Speaker 1: Soft tissue stuff, which we know Rages hates. But great to have him. They need him if he can be out.
Speaker 5: Here by you know, Thursday, Friday when they're going to start to get into paths time.
Speaker 3: And I would just love to hear his perspective too. And I don't know when exactly they'll make him available. That might be ways away, but when he is available, I'm there's two sides to every story, and we've only really heard Rabel's point of view right now of what exactly he went down.
Speaker 2: And listen, now that he's here, I don't care.
Speaker 1: Let's move back.
Speaker 8: I don't care about the contract. I care about his health.
Speaker 3: Like I I don't really care about the contract at all, but the health piece of it.
Speaker 2: But if he's out there, then you can assume that he passed every night.
Speaker 3: But is he Sony Michelle, all right, we'll.
Speaker 2: See is he not?
Speaker 1: Easily?
Speaker 2: We don't know that.
Speaker 4: I mean, that only comes a time.
Speaker 3: That's my question though.
Speaker 8: You know, like that, that's what I want to know.
Speaker 3: I want to know.
Speaker 8: You know, do I have to worry about that? You know, this guy's career is because for.
Speaker 6: The reason he didn't just sign like everybody else does. Wow, we don't know what it is.
Speaker 2: We don't know what it is. But if he's out there and he's contributing, and he's in pads and no limitations, I don't care.
Speaker 6: Just so would you not care if he's not a Patriot in two years? Because that's what we're talking about. That's the concern. But I'm just saying that's the concern. He might get two sacks in the first game, but if he's not a Patriot next.
Speaker 7: Year, like we're good? What good is that?
Speaker 6: That's kind of what Sony, Yes, that's what like Sony Michelle thing, that's what Evan's talking about.
Speaker 1: I think there's two things I didn't mean to.
Speaker 3: I didn't even I didn't mean to you went to wait, he went way dark there. But but but that, I don't know what else it could have been at this point, you know, like it's got to be something and going into the drigos, but it's maybe I mean going into the draft. There was a lot of people that were saying he was going to go early second round in the thirties, and he slid a little bit, you know, he went about twenty twenty five picks later. Then some people thought he was going to go. And then all this reporting comes out, especially from Mike Reese, who had a litany of things that teams were were red flagging with him.
Speaker 8: Hamstring, knee, shoulder, but like all.
Speaker 3: These different things, so everybody kind of had a different story, and we went we.
Speaker 6: Went dark with Sony Michelle. So I'm going to take the other side. I'm going to do but I'm going to do the Nakobe Dean, Rob Gronkouse, He's not an example of this.
Speaker 7: The Nakobe Dean had this. Nakobe Dean had this.
Speaker 6: I'm not going to argue with you about bron But Nakobe Dean had this kind of litany of injuries that teams needed special like protection, and and he has played and he's been productive.
Speaker 7: He's been a good player.
Speaker 6: You know, he's dealt with injuries just like everybody else in the NFL. But he's been active for the Eagles and he's been a big part of the defense. So it doesn't mean that it has to be like Sony Michelle, and you know, he has a decent first year and then he kind of you know, the knee on knee thing or Dominique Easley, He's never really able to get on the field.
Speaker 7: It doesn't have to be bad.
Speaker 1: That's the jump that I don't know that we necessarily have to make.
Speaker 5: Just because yes, he had some injury flags, he needed a clean up surgery. That doesn't necessarily mean that he has a chronic injury issue that is going to haunt them.
Speaker 6: I guess that's what the Patriots were trying to protect themselves about.
Speaker 5: But if he had to clean up without telling them, is it about the contract and is it about the communication or is it about the long term injury, because it could just be about the contract.
Speaker 7: He just signed today.
Speaker 1: No, no, but he was saying, is it about you just didn't tell us. We didn't know about this. We need to protection. We were pissed and we need a cleanup.
Speaker 6: Does that necessarily he's not unsigned because they're pissed, but he signed?
Speaker 1: Why he didn't.
Speaker 6: Sign today because they were pissed? Why it hurts them? Why can't try to protect them? They were trying to protect themselves.
Speaker 5: But why can't a guy just have a cleanup surgery and didn't tell anybody?
Speaker 1: And that's an issue? But why does that happen?
Speaker 5: Why would that affect his contract because he didn't tell them?
Speaker 7: So why does that affect his contract.
Speaker 1: Because he didn't tell them? And if that's an injury that they didn't know about, they want some protection on it. Why because they had to clean up without telling them?
Speaker 7: Okay, so what's the danger he didn't tell them? They're mad? Don't do that again. Yeah, but not sign right here? But that means you.
Speaker 5: Got a clean up surgery out telling us you have a chronic the issue that's going to.
Speaker 7: But now I'm in.
Speaker 3: But now you just said the word now, But that's the death the dog, that's the fear and I have to think that they didn't just do this dog and pony show for nothing nocause the reason the Patriots wanted.
Speaker 6: Some protection, and I don't think it's because. I think that because they're concerned. There's Those are two very different things in my.
Speaker 2: Opinion, Like it both could be true.
Speaker 6: And oh, there's no doubt that they were irritated, but that's not why he's not signed, is my point.
Speaker 7: I don't hit this on the head.
Speaker 3: I think we're going to learn a lot about this whole situation of whether or not he passes his physical and is on pupp or and if I to start his tenure here with the Patriots, if.
Speaker 6: I would just say he better pass his physical and be on the field right if he.
Speaker 3: Shows up like I don't know if he'll be tomorrow, but let's just say he shows up tomorrow and he's just number fifties, just out there and it's just like nothing ever happened.
Speaker 8: Then we can all pretty much, Mike.
Speaker 6: I'll say that that some of the what Mike is talking about, they're they're convinced that he's healthy. If he's you know, if it's like business as usual, I expect him to be out here quickly.
Speaker 7: I really do now what's quickly.
Speaker 2: And of the way.
Speaker 6: Quickly these four days like it's it's Saturday, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday. Before that's over, I expect to see.
Speaker 3: So like will he be in the first fully padded practice.
Speaker 8: He's going to be out there.
Speaker 6: I don't know if he'll be ready for a fully padded practice just in terms of what Mike is talking about, like conditioning soft tissue stuff, I don't know about that, but I think physically he'll be ready for the first practice.
Speaker 3: I'm more I always want to see if he ends up on a list that that's really you know, maybe they slow play it and they ease him into it just from being out there, but you just want him out there. You know, if he's on in a fire, if he's on pump, that tells me that there's still structurally something.
Speaker 7: I do expect to see him quickly.
Speaker 1: I do.
Speaker 2: With modern medicine the way it is, and you know we're in Boston, our team doctors hail from mass General Brigham. Is there a way to know if a guy is gonna have a chronic knee injury or any type of injury? Yeah?
Speaker 8: Absolutely, I mean cardinal left in his knee.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they they talked about it. I can't hate to keep going back to it, but they talked about it with Sony Michelle going into the draft that teams were aware that that he was going to have a shorter career. Malcolm Mitchell, teams were aware that he was going to have a shorter career. So that that definitely whatever technology they use, I'm not.
Speaker 2: But Patriots signed him anyway. They drafted him anyway, So what.
Speaker 3: Well, a shorter career doesn't mean he's not gonna play at all. You know, even if he's good for four or five years, you're still you know, getting value out of that. So, you know, I think it's where in terms of chronic knee injuries and things like that, I think it's a combination of are you going to have to manage this like, you know, day in and day out, and he's gonna have to manage practice reps and manage you know, things like that, and too obviously looking at it from a long term perspective of a second contract in those types things, you know, is he going to be able to play.
Speaker 2: For a while? Yeah.
Speaker 5: I just the thing, it's just like the disconnect for me, though, is we knew about Sony Michelle Dominic Easley towards a cl six times before he got her whatever it was, like, gay Back has played fifty games, like he wasn't like this chronic injured guy who couldn't really get on the field like he was out there, you know, so maybe he was banged up. I just I pushed back.
Speaker 1: It's the same thing on A J.
Speaker 5: Brown where you say the word chronic knee injury and everyone thinks that the guy is.
Speaker 6: Oh, I don't think Brown had a chronic knee injury. JJ Brown's been in the league eight years.
Speaker 1: Well, but isn't this even an issue for a while?
Speaker 7: That's now injury?
Speaker 6: Like he might be dealing with an injury that he has now that has effect that hasn't effected him throughout his career.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, he got this was last year.
Speaker 6: Yeah, okay, Well, the injury and there's a concern that it's a lingering injury, like the knee is not okay right now, but not not like coming out of whole miss.
Speaker 3: No, but when when he was in Tennessee towards the end of Tennessee and granted this is from Tennessee's side when they made that trade. But from that perspective, there was reporting at the time that they were had a long term well maybe, but then he went on to have fifteen hundred yards and was an Allpro with the Eagles, So you know, everything kind of this is different.
Speaker 7: They talk about it doesn't really okay.
Speaker 2: But a J.
Speaker 3: Brown we know can play in the league. We don't know if gay Bachus complained in the league yet. So I'm a little more willing to take a risk with AJ Brown that his knee is okay or not okay versus a guy that hasn't played a snap in the NFL yet.
Speaker 8: We don't know if gay back is is good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just I don't know. The word chronic To me, it comes up a lot.
Speaker 3: We can use a synonym of chronic for you to make you feel a little bit better.
Speaker 2: Well, an existing injury, long long term concerns.
Speaker 5: It's just it's just the fact this guy's not gonna be able to make it through his rookie year deal because his knee is gonna explain it like that.
Speaker 6: I have no idea even what the injury is. I know that Mike Rabel said he had a kneed procedure. That's all I know. Like, I don't know even what the problem red flag, if there is one even is on it might not even be about his knee.
Speaker 1: Right, Well, that's what Evan said, you know that. They were like, I have no idea.
Speaker 2: He plays hard, he signed, he'll be out here delivered soon.
Speaker 4: Let's go, let's go.
Speaker 7: What has happened to our show?
Speaker 2: Let's go?
Speaker 8: All right, I'm trying, Paul, I know, we just can't.
Speaker 7: Like, Yeah, it's unfortunate.
Speaker 2: What are you mad about? What's the matter put up into our show?
Speaker 7: What we I guess gott to look forward to this all year or two?
Speaker 4: What's that being positive?
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 2: Okay, so we're what are we doing out here? What does this look like? We're doing some doing some.
Speaker 3: Yeah, protection protection, Yes, you got the long snapper right there in the middle, that's Ashby. So we're just coming out of our stance and protecting the punter.
Speaker 1: Braden Swinson. I think Braden Swinson can make a make a push it all here. I mean he was drafted, make it.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 3: The big thing that I keep going back with Braiden Swinson, and I feel like I'm repeating myself because this is all we've talked to for the last couple of weeks. But a lot of the concerns coming out of the draft with him were maturity, like personality maturity and him, you know, accepting and growing into being a pro.
Speaker 8: The concerns were not ability.
Speaker 3: He was a top one hundred talent in his draft class that fell a couple of rounds because teams were a little bit worried about him buying into the program, and all last year it kind of felt like that was the focus, like, let's not focus quite as much on you actually playing this year on the football field, but let's focus on you getting into our program and getting your feet.
Speaker 2: Wet in the NFL.
Speaker 3: So hopefully that's behind him and he's sort of going to take that next step now physically on the field. But I remember, you know, most of the projections had him as a third round pick, top one hundred guy in that draft, and we had Dan Bruger on at one point and I was like, why did he follow a couple of rounds?
Speaker 8: And that was the beast himself.
Speaker 3: That was his answer was that it was a lot of you know stuff concerns, you know, showing up late to things like maturity, you know, that type of stuff, and hopefully that that's behind him and now he can just kind of play and be better for it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, of all those guys, I mean, there's there's bodies there at the edge position, there's just what do you feel great ab having Hutchinson from there?
Speaker 1: Is it Hutchins or hu Hutchins Hutchins.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Hutchins Q Hutchins when I you know, I talked to Bill O'Brien about him, and he was more thought that his path to the NFL would be special teams.
Speaker 8: He's a really good special teams player, and then maybe like a.
Speaker 3: Third down situational pass rusher if he does emerge on defense. But those two guys right there that we're showing right now, ninety one and forty three, Ponder and Braden Swinson, if you're looking for guys that can emerge and and really push for playing time. You know, Ponder I think has already done it. I think he's already here. But maybe Swinson can be a surprise of camp. You're kind of like a breakout of camp. So I'll be interested to see him, you know, when he gets his reps against Moses and Campbell and Lomu and in some of the frontline guys.
Speaker 2: Well even then though, you you really don't know until things are for real, you know, because sometimes guys, you know, get tipped off, they've seen the play before, they kind of cheat a little bit. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but he's got skill as a pass rusher. Yeah, that was his thing coming out. And it's not so much about like explosiveness. I would say it's more like, uh skilled, you know, he has a deep yeah toolbox of moves and he knows how to use his hands and he knows how to set guys up and things like that. So I didn't really see a ton of that last year. I didn't feel like in camp because I think that his head was kind of swimming in it a little bit. But maybe this year he can settle down.
Speaker 5: That was a question I was thinking about, maybe for Abel, but I'd be curious what you guys think of he So he talks about like yesterday brought up the tight end room and while their guys are going to get some opportunities, what does it look like taking advantage of opportunities.
Speaker 1: We know there's a sack or you know, like a splash pay in a team consistency. But what is yeah, like, what does that look like in individual drills?
Speaker 5: What does you know, taking advantage of opportunities look like outside of oh, well, Kyle Wis he didn't have any catches.
Speaker 2: Today, especially when you can't tackle, Like.
Speaker 1: What does that look like? To me?
Speaker 3: It's consistency, not just to you know. What I think of is like knowing where you're supposed to be, knowing the play and performing to their eyes like down in, play in and play out. Yeah, like because we you know, we can look at a practice and see a flash, like we can see Kyle Williams make a big catch or Swinson get into the backfield on a rep. But what's he doing on the other twenty reps that he got in practice?
Speaker 4: Right, Malcolm?
Speaker 2: Butler's a good example of that. I mean, you know, to the naked eye, to the layman, you like, Okay, he's out out there, but he's not really picking off passes. But they saw the competitiveness. They saw like a guy who was in on every play. Yeah, even if he didn't make it, he was right there. He was inches away from making the play. Okay, there's something to work with there. Let's let's give this guy more opportunity, let's see if he can take it to the next step. So, you know, guys like that, I think that's what it means to show opportunity.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's I mean, it's easy to see the guys who make the plays, but you know there are guys that good practices without making.
Speaker 3: I'm sure there's so many times where we think a guy had a good practice because he made a few a few flashes, and then they get into the meeting room after practice and have like twenty corrections.
Speaker 2: Supposed to be there.
Speaker 7: You just got lucky. Yeah, right right.
Speaker 5: That's another part of it too, with you know more talk about it last year with Rabel and his meetings, asking questions around the room and stuff, And that's.
Speaker 1: Probably another thing where you're getting called on and you consistently have the right answers, you know what to do, Yeah, earning.
Speaker 2: The trust of the veterans around you, knowing the names of the people in the dining room.
Speaker 3: He said something, was it in Forge that he said that nobody wants to play with somebody that doesn't know what he's doing, right, yeah, yeah, And I think he asked Kevin Byard, like, isn't that true? And Bard was like, yeah, Like, if I can't trust the guy to my left and the guy to my right is going to be in the right place, I can't play with it.
Speaker 2: I think Belichick might have said it or somebody on his staff. It's better if we're all on the wrong page than one guy being on the wrong page, you know, because at.
Speaker 7: Least then there's an excuse of like they didn't get the call.
Speaker 2: Or something right, because one guy can blow it up in football, don't get one to eleven. Yeah, there he is number ten on his shoulder.
Speaker 1: We got a new bright red shirt.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, he was wearing a really faded I think he's wearing Garoppolos number ten.
Speaker 7: We were talking about that during during the spring, like why.
Speaker 2: Is his shirt so faded?
Speaker 8: I think we made a big enough deal about it and finally got in the new one.
Speaker 6: Stacy got to the bottom of that, Mike. Mike and I were talking on with Stacey about that. It's like, what do you think the deal is with that?
Speaker 2: It's like, I don't know.
Speaker 1: And the ramps here are open. I just saw Tommy DeVito Jersey.
Speaker 4: This is a turnout here.
Speaker 2: We're overflowing into the ramps.
Speaker 3: With the with the foms.
Speaker 2: Good, good day. Here.
Speaker 1: We're in period six.
Speaker 2: So so is Tommy defeat the Vito right now? The number two?
Speaker 3: Yes? Yeah, Claire cut Yeah, I mean Martin basically.
Speaker 8: Got no reps.
Speaker 3: Claire cutlet, Claire cutlet exactly mother's cutlets. Yeah.
Speaker 2: He.
Speaker 3: I thought Morten was kind of an afterthought in the spring, Like we barely really even saw him take any eleven on eleven reps.
Speaker 1: It was.
Speaker 8: It was all may And and Devido.
Speaker 7: So that's only because he was so good in that rookie mini camp. He didn't need the reps.
Speaker 3: Exactly what I thought.
Speaker 7: I was like, man, I was just trying to fit in with the rest of the show.
Speaker 8: Paul wasn't even at that rookie minnie camp.
Speaker 7: Practice of full disclosure here, I was just preparing for the season.
Speaker 2: Good keep practicing in the rain with us here we are, God forbid we win some games this year. Paul's going to be miserable.
Speaker 7: Well, I just worry about if we happened to lose one, what might happen to this panel.
Speaker 3: Okay, that's not.
Speaker 7: Not you.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: First day of camp. Try to be a little bit more even killed first day camp.
Speaker 2: Well that's the thing, you know. Uh, last year first game Week one didn't look too.
Speaker 7: Good, you know, but who knows, kind of I felt like, here we go, it doesn't look like that this year. I don't know if I have anybody to the post game shows.
Speaker 3: Gino Smith's sixty the time, and then all of a sudden it was like, oh right, we're good now, all right good.
Speaker 2: So we talked a little bit, I know, in the past about is it a good thing or a bad thing or a nothing thing that you're playing Seattle in week one. I think it's a good thing, assuming that Seattle is not going to have this huge regression and they're going to be a good team again, you know, getting a being able to go out there against the super Bowl champs in week one just to kind of see where you are.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, yeah, it's fine.
Speaker 5: I mean, I think in a perfect world that would have liked to see them get a chance to develop their identity a little bit before they face a tough matchup like that. But it's easy to get excited for that's the last game you saw, and this is going to be the next game.
Speaker 6: It's a great opportunity, it's a great opportunity, and I kind of like that, but.
Speaker 7: I mean it could go either way.
Speaker 6: I mean, you could you go out to Seattle and I'm not even say you you win it, but like you played really well and it's clearly how much closer you were to Seattle this time.
Speaker 7: You win the game.
Speaker 6: Obviously, that's huge. It's a great opportunity. I think it's an uplifting thing.
Speaker 7: You get buried again, like yeah, Ben One, right right, Yeah.
Speaker 5: Well, I mean I think to some stet we got buried by him seven months six months ago, so you know, I think you can sweep on any We can't.
Speaker 7: Mic they lost all the defensive players, Kenneth Walker.
Speaker 3: I just want to see, and I know this is a me thing, but I felt like it kind of got swept under rug a little bit how much they got out coached.
Speaker 2: In that game.
Speaker 3: You keep bringing it up, though, because I feel like it just no one talks about it. We just all blame Will Campbell, Like you know, it's like.
Speaker 7: Jared Wilson too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's unbelievable. Like the rookie left tackle that got his butt beat gets blamed. But the coaches that have been in the league for twenty years they skate somehow. On Twitter, I saw one of my guys, one of my analytics guys, talking about the decision that they kicked the extra point after they scored their their only touchdown of the game instead of going for two. I like things like that, and I just I feel like this is a big opportunity for those guys, Josh McDaniels, Mike Rabel to put a much better game plan out there this time around and get the team prepared much better this time around, Like, you know, were where were some of the answers to some of the things that Seattle was doing. Where were some of the adjustments to some of the things that Seattle was doing? And they just it never came. It just kind of never happened. And I hope this time around they have a better plan because clearly the one they rolled out there in February was not not working. So on both sides of the ball, I would say, honestly, is there any chance that it's.
Speaker 2: Not a more competitive games?
Speaker 1: A chance of anything?
Speaker 7: Yeah, But like what would say I used to say, yeah, there's a chance, what would.
Speaker 4: You say the odds.
Speaker 2: That it's more more competitive, it's less competitive.
Speaker 5: Or as total chance I mean, I look, I I have certain like philosophies. I believe it's always going to be a little sloppy and weird the first month of the season. There's gonna be things you not expected that maybe strange turnovers. So you know, maybe the game unfolds weird for them. But you know, in some ways, I just think you have nothing to lose. You got smoked by this team in the Super Bowl. It's week one. Go out there, let it rip, come up with a good plan. You know, hopefully the Seattle is get a little bit enamored with raising their banner. But having been to two games in Seattle, and I haven't been to a lot of other NFL stadiums, but that place is going to be a madhouse. So it's just you know, and I look at it more regardless of the result, this.
Speaker 1: Team is going to start off and they really made their They were the road Warriors last year. I mean, they set a record for road wins. I mean, this team did such a great job on the road last year. What's it look like.
Speaker 5: I mean, if they went and laid an egg in Seattle, I'll be like, that's a very big departure from this team. Because they didn't lay a egg in any of road games, true road games.
Speaker 7: I know, the Super I wouldn't expect. I agree with Fred.
Speaker 6: I think it should be a very small percentage that it's not a competitive game.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I'd be really really surprised if it was non competitive. Again.
Speaker 3: A couple of years ago, after the Chiefs won their last Super Bowl, they played the Lions in the opener and it wasn't a Super Bowl rematch, but they played the Lions in the opener and the Lions beat them.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and that was sort of the Dan.
Speaker 3: Campbell Lions like coming out party was like, no, this Lions team is.
Speaker 1: This team's for real.
Speaker 3: And I feel like that's the opportunity that the Patriots have where everybody's still talking about the schedule last year and the breaks that they got last year and the road and all that kind of stuff. If you come out Week one and the opener and you ruined Seattle's party on their banner night, then the rest of the league is unnoticed. Like now all of a sudden, it's like, Okay, no, that wasn't a fluke last year.
Speaker 1: I mean, I would really like to have seen them have Julian Hill to go into this game.
Speaker 5: I mean, Seattle's a team. I mean, Emmory's on pup, so we'll see how healthy he is when you get to week one. But Seattle's a defense that wants to.
Speaker 1: Stay in nickels. So if you're able to go ahead with Gilliam now and if you have Julian Hill, you're not.
Speaker 5: But I do think the Patriots have a little bit more ability to go heavy and maybe challenge Seattle to stay in the nickel package that they want to and play the way they want to and dictate terms and do all the things that Mike McDonald's so good at. So you know, that could be a potential twist schematically. But again a J Brown, Romeo doffs, those guys are gonna have to step up in that game.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, and again it's just week one.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 2: Two years ago Week one was pretty festive in that locker room, Yeah, and things kind of last.
Speaker 7: Year week one was the opposite. That's right, You just never know what, you know.
Speaker 6: Week one games a lot of funny things happen. Yeah, and I do I have a believer in the that champ, that defending champ at home things.
Speaker 7: It's a weird it's a weird spot.
Speaker 1: You've been there.
Speaker 6: It's a strange spot I have, and I've seen it. I've seen it even affect the Tom Brady Patriots once.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: So I just think that it's a lot of times you're still kind of celebrating, you don't. You know, you spend the whole summer's name last year's in the past, and then you come out and you have this big ceremony, your bann are raising and all the emotion of that. How do you not think about last year the Seattle Seahawk.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I know.
Speaker 5: If I was in the reverse position and the Patriots were getting ready to welcome a team they beaten the Super Bowl pretty handily, I think I'd.
Speaker 1: Be concerned a little bit that this team's gonna come in here with something really to prove. You know, we better be ready to go.
Speaker 7: We can't get But you're concerned about all of those things.
Speaker 1: Always we're concerned about things.
Speaker 7: But you know, I mean that's you know, Bill.
Speaker 1: I remember they we saw some footage I forget from one thing. It was a Bill talking about, you.
Speaker 5: Know, the parties coming back and we're gonna have patches on our shirts and all that stuff. Don't get carried away with what happened last year. And you know that I think is a big hope. I also just say Sam Darnold, I thought he kind of was outstanding in that, you know, he made every throw he needed to make.
Speaker 7: There were a couple early on the Super Bowl.
Speaker 3: Yeah it was terrible, but just making the throws he needed to make.
Speaker 7: Like he didn't kill them.
Speaker 1: You know, he didn't make the stupid mistake he tried. You know, the Patriots couldnt come up, come up with some of those picks. I think it's a much different game, especially early on when they were you know, kind of picking on Marcus Jones.
Speaker 3: They have a new offensive coordinator, and I think that that's not nothing, especially in a Week one game. And maybe Quinn Kobiak was a good coach and you know, now he's a coach of the Raiders and he's there. They're changing o seas, They're going to keep the same system and everything, but it's a new play caller and that might be the right time to play Seattle in my mind.
Speaker 8: Yeah, because like they I do think they have some changes.
Speaker 3: You know, no more Kenneth Walker, No, their offensive coordinator changed. It might take that offense a couple of weeks to figure out what this version of it is going to look like. You know, Walker bouncing out the edge like Zach Sharbonay and Jaden Prince is. That's not that that might not be their game, you know, Like, I don't know if they're going to have that same juice that Kenneth Walker had to get the edge. So I think if you're going to get Seattle, i'd much rather get him in week one and get them when they're rolling.
Speaker 2: Well, I could just say, when the Patriots win the game, I promise I won't downplay the win.
Speaker 8: Just so I don't know.
Speaker 6: I don't about that, and I don't think anybody was concerned about that in any way, shape or form. I don't think you'll be down playing the preseason victory over the Colts and joint practices.
Speaker 1: Do you think they'll win that one?
Speaker 6: I think they'll probably have an edge. Well, according to this show, I think I don't have to see the practice.
Speaker 1: I'm pretty sure there's going to be an edge dot Com today, fred I. I.
Speaker 3: One of my favorite things about training camp is our friend Bradley and our great video team comes up to me after every practice and ask did we win? And sometimes it's Patriots versus Patriots and he.
Speaker 7: Asks me anyway.
Speaker 3: So my answer has always had a Drake may practice and Drake may practice, well, then we won.
Speaker 2: Well, listen, there are the extremes. And two years ago we saw it when the Eagles came for a joint practice. There was no doubt who won. That that's true, you know, So you can you can clearly win or lose a joint practice and we've seen both.
Speaker 1: Miil Williams saw one from up close and he remembered it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but that's gonna be a great, great few days if you're able to come off for those that's yeah.
Speaker 1: Those joint practices are as good as it gets.
Speaker 2: So we're gonna get ready to wrap up here here at training camp. Just a reminder if you're in the area, there's no better take. It's free, free parking. You're not gonna be able to get closer to a pro sports team than NFL training camp. So you go to Patriots dot you go to Patriots dot com and you'll see the schedule of all the open practices that the public can come to check it out.
Speaker 4: They'll be out in the field tomorrow.
Speaker 2: We'll be back in the studio on Tuesday with our regularly scheduled one o'clock Patriots Unfiltered. But on Thursday of next week is the first day of PADS, so we'll be live here again for the Thursday practice when they go back to pads.
Speaker 4: Gay Bacchus is a Patriot.
Speaker 2: That's kind of the news of the day.
Speaker 7: Absolutely the best news, bestinas of the day.
Speaker 2: All right, for Paul Evan, Deuce myself, thank you for watching.
Speaker 1: Hey this is Deuce. Thanks for tuning into the show.
Speaker 7: If you really want to.
Speaker 5: Help us, make sure you like us wherever you get your podcasts, like Apple Podcasts or Spotify.
Speaker 1: Also make sure you follow us on the New England Patriots YouTube channel to see this show and everything else that we do here at the Patriots.
Speaker 7: Thanks a lot,