Speaker 1: It's podcast. Welcome to Meat Eater Trivia, the only game show where conservation always wins. I'm your host, Spencer Newhart, and today we're joined by Brodie Yannis, Chester Randall, Seth Chili, and Taylor Taylan. This is your first time on trivia. Tell folks what you do here at meat Eater.
Speaker 2: All right, Yes, my name is Taylan. This is my first day at meat Eater.
Speaker 1: Literally first day. You've been here what like two hours?
Speaker 3: Maybe?
Speaker 2: Okay, maybe I have no idea what I'm getting into. Anyway, I'm an intern here. I'm working in sales administration with Colin uh and I go to Montana State.
Speaker 1: Welcome. Did you know that we have like podcasts here?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 4: Is that something I did?
Speaker 1: Okay, you're not You're not aware of this show?
Speaker 2: I am Okay, I didn't know I was walking into a podcast.
Speaker 5: Okay, Well, well the thank you.
Speaker 1: This is a ten round quiz show with questions for meat eaters four verticals which are hunting, fishing, conservation, and cooking, and there is a prize. Meat Eater will donate five hundred dollars to the conservation organization of the winners choosing and for the stat of the week. This week, we're looking at players success rate in each category. On average, players get hunting questions correct forty one percent of the time, fishing questions correct thirty eight percent of the time, conservation questions correct forty three percent of the time, and cooking questions correct forty five percent of the time. So by those stats, the fishing category is hardest and cooking category is easiest. Thoughts, does that seem right to you, Yanni?
Speaker 6: I'm just surprised that when you listed them just now that you didn't like put them in order, that's what the hardest. That confused me. But yeah, I would have thought that we would have done best in the hunting category.
Speaker 1: Best in the hunty you do third best in the hunting category, and like we've talked about before, chat GPT does the worst in the hunting category, so you have a leg up there, but everything else chat GPT would whoop you.
Speaker 7: Do you know if we have the most like hunting questions, like, what's the question or the topic you ask most often?
Speaker 1: I think conservation. A lot of things that go to the fringe of the meat eater universe just get lumped under conservation. So if I had to guess it would be like forty percent of the questions or conservation, which would be a little over represented there. And here's our new segment, FAQs. If you have a question for our crew related to Mediater trivia, you can send it to trivia at the medeater dot com with the subject line FAQ. We are doing two of them this week.
Speaker 6: The first I'd like to add though that don't feel like ten other people have to also send in the question that you have because last time on this show, Spencer picked when we're only one person had asked this question, so it wasn't really a frequently asked ut question.
Speaker 1: The first question, the first question is from Tyler LV. He says, I feel your choice of subject line is uninspired. At the very least, it should be I FAQ for infrequently asked questions. You know what, Tyler, You're exactly right. That's better. So going forward we're going to call this I FAQ's if you have a question for the crew about trivia, the rite trivia at the Mediator dot com with the subject line I FAQ. Does that satisfy you? Yannie love it?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 1: Here's our other question from Jason White. Do you use the Shelby index to influence the questions asked. If a Shelby index is too high or low, do you make changes? Short answers yes. Long answer is that the Shelby index is when I ask my questions to my wife, who is not a subject matter expert on hunting, fishing, conservation, or cooking, and I see how she does. I realized early on in the show that she gets about half as many right as our winner. Do I change questions based on if it's too high or too low? Yes, If she only gets one right, I will swap in a question that I think is easier that she would get right. Or it would change the phrasing of a question. If there was a question about a state and I'm looking for the answer to be like Maine, maybe the question originally it was just like what state, YadA, YadA, I would then change it to like what New England state to give our players a better chance. So yes, I do change the questions based on if the Shelby index is too high or too low. I shoot for a Shelby index that's between three and five. I think that makes for a good game of trivia. Now we have some housekeeping. It get to you. In a previous game of trivia, we had a question about bangers and mash, which I declared to be a Saint Patti's Day staple. But we had about a dozen listeners right in saying they were Irish and that this dish wasn't part of their cultural heritage at all. Still, I found parts of the internet that disagree, calling bangers in mash, a widely popular pub dish in Ireland, the perfect Irish comfort food in a Saint Patrick's Day tradition. But I'll admit that those who rode in weren't totally wrong, and that it's more appropriate to describe bangers and mash as a British dish instead of an Irish one. So that's a change I'll make when this question appears in our next board game. Now, the Shelby indexpert today's round is a five, so I'm putting us on perfect game alert, and with that we're onto the game of trivia. Play the drop, Phil, Look, I.
Speaker 4: Need to know what I stay under?
Speaker 1: Win everything?
Speaker 4: How's that? Just tend to win everything?
Speaker 2: Demon suckers?
Speaker 4: It's so nice to get an uninterrupted intro.
Speaker 1: You like that?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: What was so funny over here, Jannie. We had a few giggles.
Speaker 6: I just fired up. I was in my head. I was wondering if Tailor never even heard that intro? Never or so you've never listened to this show.
Speaker 8: Usually we don't get to hear it if Cal's in the room.
Speaker 1: Question one. The topic is public lands, and as always, the first question will be multiple choice. This first great question comes to us via Samantha McCann. Which of these is not a real land designation within the National Park Service? Is it National fossil Bed, National lake Shore, National Historic Trail, or National Military Park? Which of these is not a real land designation within the National Park Service? That means three of them are real, one of them is not. Is it National fossil bed, National lake Shore, National Historic Trail, or National Military Park. Johnny looking around the room, surveying his competitors, Yanni, what did you observe there?
Speaker 6: Nothing other than Randall had already had had an answer.
Speaker 1: But confident Randall, I feel pretty good.
Speaker 4: I feel pretty good.
Speaker 1: Now. You know you can mess with Yanni. You can. You could do some extra writing on your board, just tap away at that's right, Uh huh, you can make it.
Speaker 4: Maybe I'm racing. Now, maybe I'm not.
Speaker 1: Your four choices are national fossil bed, national lake shore, National Historic trail, national military park.
Speaker 4: I'm messing with myself.
Speaker 1: Brodi, do you have an answer.
Speaker 6: It's an honest group.
Speaker 8: I've got an answer, but I want to write yet.
Speaker 6: That's true?
Speaker 1: All right, but everybody ready, go ahead and reveal your answers. We have seth saying lake shore. Chest You're saying military park, Chili saying military park, Randall saying fossil bed, Tailing saying historic trail, Yannis saying military park. Brody saying fossil bed. The correct answer is national fossil bed. Randall, got it right. An example of a national lakeshore is the Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore in Michigan. An example of a National Historic Trail is the Oregon National Historic Trail that passes through six states. An example of a national military park is Gettysburg National Military Park in Pennsylvania. The Park Service does not. The Park Service does protect some fossil beds, like the Hagermann Fossil Beds in Idaho and Florescent fossil Beds in Colorado, but those are national monuments. Question two the topic is hunting. This deer hunting arcade game, which uses green and orange guns for controllers, was inspired by Nintendo's Duck Hunt. This deer hunting are arcade game, which uses green and orange guns for controllers, was inspired by Nintendo's Duck Hunt. We seem to have a confident room besides Yanni and Chester. Seth.
Speaker 6: Do you know Jayalen you know this? I think so y got an idea.
Speaker 2: We had an arcade game in my apartment building with green and orange guns. Okay, if I can remember the name right, have you played?
Speaker 1: Have you played this game? You think?
Speaker 7: Yes?
Speaker 6: I have.
Speaker 2: I played the game I'm thinking of, but I don't know if I'm remembering the name quite right.
Speaker 1: Seth, you played this game?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah?
Speaker 1: Are you good at it?
Speaker 3: You think?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 3: I'm all right.
Speaker 1: Faction guns not going to give you any hints, Brody, I will tell.
Speaker 6: You that's not a him that they are green and orange. But speaking of funny ball thing like that, yesterday I was trying to find the games on streaming TV. I'm still to the point with all that technology where I'm like, I don't know, I just check them all and hopefully I'll pop up somewhere, but there was a movie just on and playing, some random, random movie that just comes on the smart TV. There's some kind of a horror flick and I.
Speaker 4: Think it was called the Triangle.
Speaker 6: Maybe that rings a bell. They were on a big boat.
Speaker 9: Of some sort, this Triangle of sadness. It's not a it's not a horror film.
Speaker 6: I'm just clarifying for it. It's not a horror film. As a dude with a mat with a bag over his head chasing a young woman, a romantic lead woman around with a shotgun, shooting other women. I just caught it when he'd already shot a couple and then he's chasing this one and she puts up a good.
Speaker 8: Did it take place in the Bermuda Triangle?
Speaker 6: But I only caught a little bit of it. I just want to tell you about this specific part is where I noticed that he's reloading his believe is over under and he shoots and then you hear.
Speaker 3: You gotta put that sound in. It's movie magic.
Speaker 10: It's like the elk bugle during wintertime home.
Speaker 1: Does everybody have an answer for the deer hunting arcade game with green and orange gun controllers? Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Seth saying big buck Hunter, Chester Buck Hunter, Chili saying big buck Hunter, Randall saying big buck Hunter, Taylor saying big game hunting, Giannis saying big game Hunter. Brody saying big buck Hunter.
Speaker 7: Dude, I erased big I just hate this game.
Speaker 1: He's got to answer big correct answer is big buck Hunter? One word away?
Speaker 4: Do you hate the arcade game or the or trivia?
Speaker 7: I don't like the arcade game.
Speaker 1: Big buck Hunter came out in two thousand. The goal of the game is to shoot and moving bucks without hitting a dough every fall. Is the World Championship Big Buck Hunter Tournament, where the one hundred and twenty eight best players from around the globe pete for a trophy and twenty thousand dollars.
Speaker 8: Really does a good job of teaching kids ethical hunting that game.
Speaker 1: And you can tell no real hunters play it because they always hold the World Championship Tournament like the first week in November or the last week of October. Brody, I'm surprised you were so quick to answer. How did you know that? One?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 8: I mean in college I used to throw the money into that thing. Really two thousand. I guess it was in college then, but I feel like it was around back then.
Speaker 3: Anyway, they ought to make a big dough hunter.
Speaker 5: I'm sure that's good.
Speaker 1: You can target you get out a corner of that market set question.
Speaker 4: Get disqualified for shooting bucks.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there you go.
Speaker 1: Question three, Hey, College Shoulder Season. Question three. The topic is forging. This is our listener question of the week, which was won by Stan Wishman for sending this great question. Stan is going to get a board game signed by the crew. If you want a chance to win the Listener Question of the Week, then send your question to Trivia at the meat eater dot com. This nine letter tree has leaves that are used to make gumbo, bark that's used to make syrup, and roots that are used to make root beer. Your answer should have nine letters. This nine letter tree has leaves that are used to make gumbo, bark that's used to make syrup, and roots that are used to make root beer.
Speaker 5: Do those letters need to be like.
Speaker 1: In the correct order as in like, No, you don't have to spell it correctly.
Speaker 4: If that's you just like or take away misspell it with eight letters.
Speaker 1: Well, there's a correct answer. The nine letters is a hint. You could spell it however you'd like. Yanni was one of the quickest to come up with an answer. You know this one, Yanni? You know a tree? Nine letters? Yes, Brody, do you know this one? Brody and Yanni and I.
Speaker 6: Would have had a different answer had there not been the.
Speaker 1: Randall.
Speaker 4: You know this one, I believe. So my first, my first, the first thing that came to mind immediately had twelve letters, and then I realized I was thinking of an entirely different use for plants. So I think I'm on the right track.
Speaker 1: Now, this nine letter tree has leaves that are used to make gumbo, bark that's used to make syrup, and roots that are used to make beer. Brodie's using his fingers and toes over here the.
Speaker 4: Gumbo thing, Yeah, the gumbo things.
Speaker 1: Our room appears to be stumped, except for Randal, Yanni.
Speaker 3: And bark used to make syrup.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 6: I'll learned something fascinating about fire adapted oaks the other day. Did you know that there are leaves. The way they're shaped and the way they curl up on the ground they're dry, is actually to promote fire burning through I did not know that isn't that interesting?
Speaker 1: It is interesting. Are you folks without an answer going to come up with an answer? You think negative?
Speaker 3: Seth? I'm gonna hate myself when I hear the answer.
Speaker 1: Okay, is everybody ready? Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Seth, chester and chili without an answer? Random Sassafrans tailor saying sassafras, Yeah, sayings Brody saying Sassafrans.
Speaker 3: They got it.
Speaker 1: The correct answer is what do you get?
Speaker 10: I wrote down sasafras, felt it wrong. It wasn't.
Speaker 3: Is the issue I think I was. Yeah, it didn't come out.
Speaker 8: To initially wrote ECUs.
Speaker 4: And so then the nine letter thing really helped me.
Speaker 1: Sassafras is a native tree that's found in almost every state east of the Mississippi River. Native Americans found that it had mini bodness medicinal uses such as treating skin diseases and stomach ailments. Today, it's dried leaves are used in gumbo and other soups. Its roots are used to make root beer and tea, and its bark is used to make syrup infused honey and kombucha.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I think it's it's leaves when they're ground up and putting gumbo.
Speaker 3: It's called.
Speaker 8: Exactly some actual flavored text that's tasty.
Speaker 1: Question four, the topic is fishing. This type of top water bass lure, which resembles a spinner bait, creates a bubble trail when retrieved. We have confident Brodie Seth uncapped his marker with some confidence. I'm guessing he's going to get this one. This type of topwater bass lure, which resembles a spinner baitm creates a bubble trail when retrieved.
Speaker 8: Really satisfying lure to fish.
Speaker 1: There's a hint.
Speaker 6: I've caught a few bucket mouths on it. Seth.
Speaker 1: Do you have any of these in your tackle box?
Speaker 7: Uh?
Speaker 3: Yeah, well I have currently I have like one maybe two.
Speaker 1: Have you ever used one in Montana?
Speaker 3: No? I think the ones I have are still in the packaging.
Speaker 1: Pike, there's a hint for chester Chester. Do you know this one?
Speaker 7: I mean, I think so, but I have just.
Speaker 3: Large mouthfishing in Montana's minimal. But Brodie said they work for pike.
Speaker 1: This type of top water bass lure, which resembles a spinner bait, creates a bubble trail when retrieved.
Speaker 6: Speaking of Pike. I was talking to a fellow that was going to fish the uh Stagecoach Reservoir Ice Fishing tournament this past weekend, and he said, now there's a mandatory kill on.
Speaker 8: All of the at war against those things.
Speaker 6: Yea, but now it's not only Pike. Now there's I guess there's Walleye Water up in there, and then uh small Mouth probably yeah, in Small Mountain.
Speaker 3: Someone's doing the Lord's work down there.
Speaker 6: I'm like, the global war.
Speaker 1: Does everybody have an answer? Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Seth saying buzz bait, Chester saying buzz bait, Chili saying swiveloore, Randalls saying buzz bait, tailing without an answer, Yanni and Brody saying buzz bait. They got it. The correct answer is buzz bait. Buzz Baits first hit the market in nineteen seventy six. Rick Klon brought early fame to the lure when he modified a spinner bait and ran it just under the surface of the water to win the nineteen seventy six and nineteen seventy seven Bass Master Classics. Buzz Baits use a combination of sound, vibration, and flash to get a bass's attention. Question five, the topic is conservation. Name five of the nine states that have more cattle than people? There are nine of them. You need to name five. Name five of the nine states that have more cattle than people? Randall, how'll we doing over there?
Speaker 4: I think I'm doing I think I'm doing all right.
Speaker 1: You think you could get nine of them if you had to?
Speaker 4: No, I mean I could take a swing at it, but I think that would be tough.
Speaker 1: Name five of the nine states that have more cattle than people. Brody seems as though he's torn between a few. Five of the nine states. Mmmm. Seth with the quickest one to come up with an answer, Seth, how do you feel about your five states?
Speaker 3: You know I got three of them.
Speaker 1: I know that was it harder to come up with five? Like, did you feel like you had too many or not enough?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 3: I feel like you had too many, too many?
Speaker 4: Okay, I'm really second guessing myself.
Speaker 1: Five of the nine states that have more cattle than people.
Speaker 3: Was throwing me off.
Speaker 10: There's a couple states I thought would have more, but they also have like pretty big cities.
Speaker 1: Okay. I was expecting some pushback from Brody, And how was this conservation?
Speaker 8: Oh, I I've kind of given up.
Speaker 4: Okay, Well, I guess there's there's some states I can think. I don't know. This might be too much of a clue.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I don't say it.
Speaker 3: Okay, it is.
Speaker 1: I would guess I know what you're gonna say as well. Again, we're looking five of the nine states? Chester, how do you feel about Chili answers? You agree?
Speaker 7: Why you should put five down that seven?
Speaker 1: If you get one of them, you're gonna get it wrong.
Speaker 8: If you go at the five, you're most sure.
Speaker 6: Make sure that letter in the bottom left one is real clear.
Speaker 1: Also, we've had an issue in the past with people doing abbreviations that they then got wrong. So so you should maybe write out the entire state. I think we had cal who thought he was answering Missouri but did Mississippi instead. That's tough, maybe right out the whole name. What's the tough part, Brody.
Speaker 8: I mean tough ship for him wrong doesn't know the abbreviations?
Speaker 1: Is everybody ready?
Speaker 4: Nine states?
Speaker 10: Five?
Speaker 4: That's more than nine?
Speaker 1: Oh, seth? Going back, everyone has five answer.
Speaker 6: There's gonna be a couple of surprisers.
Speaker 3: I bet Oh, I think, oh, you know what.
Speaker 1: I You're right, Brody, this is your last chance to change. Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have set saying Montana, Wyoming, Kansas, Nebraska, North Dakota, Chester saying Wyoming, South Dakota, North Dakota, Montana, Nebraska, Chile saying South Dakota, North Dakota, Montana, Wyoming, Utah, Randalls sang Montana, Wyoming, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Taylan saying Montana, Wyoming, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota, Yanni saying Montana, Wyoming, North Dakota, Nebraska, South Dakota, Brody saying North Dakota, Wyoming, Montana, Kansas, South Dakota. The nine states are Idaho, Iowa, Kansas, Montana, Nebraska, North Dakota, Oklahoma, South Dakota, and Wyoming. I think everybody but Chili had that one right rooms.
Speaker 3: Vermont.
Speaker 10: I know.
Speaker 1: According to the USDA, South Dakota has the most lopsided ratio of cattle two people in the country. They say there are three point five million head of cattle compared to nine hundred thousand people, meaning there are four cattle per person in the state. On the other end of the spectrum is New Jersey, who has about fifty thousand cattle compared to nine million people, meaning there are one hundred and eighty people per cow in the state.
Speaker 6: Where did Florida fall?
Speaker 1: I don't know. I only saw the top of the list in the very bottom, but it must have been somewhere in between. You got to think about all the cities they have there. Feetlando, Jacksonville, Iowa.
Speaker 4: Was initially on my list, and then I was like, how do you count? I don't have the exhaustive knowledge of the cattle industry, but a lot of cattle are moving in and out right, So I don't know.
Speaker 1: Phil. We are halfway through the game of trivia. Give us a scoreboard.
Speaker 6: Do you want to entertain your discussion?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 4: Nobody thought that was a good Well.
Speaker 7: I don't have an answer for you, Randall, But I was up there, Randall, I took I took note.
Speaker 3: Good thought, but no one cares.
Speaker 6: Everybody is on the board.
Speaker 3: Who got chili? With one point?
Speaker 9: Taylor and Chester have two points apiece, Seth and Giannis have three and tied up in first place. They both have a perfect game. Are Brody and Randall.
Speaker 3: What's new?
Speaker 6: They have five phil Yes.
Speaker 4: Thinking more about feed lots.
Speaker 11: I question six.
Speaker 1: The topic is woodsmanship. This is considered the sister publication of Field and Stream.
Speaker 5: Come on, Spencer, this.
Speaker 1: Is considered the sister publication of Field and Stream. We have a very confident room. This may be a one hundred percenter. I feel like maybe your confidence. Brodie is going to give Yanni a hint. Who seemed unsure of his answer.
Speaker 3: Whatever, he just made me think I got all kinds of.
Speaker 8: Problems with this question.
Speaker 1: Okay, would you like to talk about him?
Speaker 5: An hour later later?
Speaker 1: Okay, Seth, you didn't like Chester's answer?
Speaker 10: Well, Chester's answer just made me think real hard, Okay, because I thought I thought I knew it, and then Chester wrote down an answer and I just have him to look over there, cheating.
Speaker 4: The passive voice in this is just killing the Spencer. I thought maybe this would be like, according to so and so, just this is considered very.
Speaker 1: Do you think it's too matter of fact?
Speaker 4: Well, I just you know.
Speaker 3: This is fast food?
Speaker 10: Exactly?
Speaker 6: Does sister magazine mean like they have the same parents.
Speaker 1: Never said magazine.
Speaker 8: It would mean like sister Hunter, Stephen Ranella, someone that's closely associated with you?
Speaker 1: Does everybody have an answer?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 1: We had said, tell Chester that his answer made him rethink his answer, which made Chester change his answer, and then Seth said, now you're making me think even harder.
Speaker 8: So is this our first case of like documented cheating?
Speaker 2: Though?
Speaker 10: Well, I chat, I wrote down an answer previously looking at chats, and I'm not changing it.
Speaker 7: You notice I haven't really said anything.
Speaker 1: Is everybody ready? Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Seth saying outdoor life, Chest You're saying guns and Ammo Chili saying outdoor life, Randall saying outdoor life, Taylor without an answer, Yanni, and Brody saying outdoor life. The correct answer is outdoor life now if you'll go to Field and Streams website. Brody, I was looking at one of their editors bios and it said so and so used to work for our sister publication, Outdoor No.
Speaker 5: I don't have a like.
Speaker 3: I agree it like.
Speaker 8: I don't know problem with the sister publication. Okay, I just think it's way too easy.
Speaker 1: Way too easy. We had two people in here, and are it wrong?
Speaker 3: Though?
Speaker 5: Did they actually even publish these things anymore?
Speaker 1: Outdoor Life publish their first magazine in eighteen ninety eight. Some of its most famous contributors include Teddy Roosevelt, Amelia Earhart, and Babe Ruth. In twenty eighteen, the magazine announced they'd go from doing nine issues a year to four, and in twenty twenty one they announced they'd cease printing the magazine and would go fully digital. So there you go, Brody.
Speaker 7: My first one I wrote down was for fishing game.
Speaker 1: Sorry, Chester, that's wrong.
Speaker 4: What would have been the third answer on your list?
Speaker 7: Probably Outdoor Life Sports Reveal Question seven.
Speaker 1: The topic is public lands. This next great question comes to us via Joe skag leone. The Great Blank Desert is a region that's mostly made up of Nevada and Utah where water doesn't drain into any ocean. Seems as though Brody and Randall will keep the perfect game going. The Great Blank.
Speaker 4: Desert is an easy question.
Speaker 1: Is a region that's mostly made up of Nevada and Utah where water doesn't drain into any ocean. Brody and Randall are the only ones to come up with an answer thus far. Yoanni, how you're feeling about your thought process over there? You have you narrowed it? Down to anything.
Speaker 6: No, No, I'm just waiting for that word pop into my head.
Speaker 4: Okay, Now do my eyes deceive me?
Speaker 1: Or are the number of spaces? It's always five spaces a single time. It doesn't matter if it's ten letter word, a three letter word, or.
Speaker 4: Oh I'm glad I learned that on this question. Otherwise grow before, I just haven't been paying attention to what other people are saying.
Speaker 1: Always going to be five of space is dedicated to the blank.
Speaker 4: I would have thought I was really onto something if this has popped up on a on a different question.
Speaker 1: The Great Blank Desert is a region that's mostly made up of Nevada and Utah where water doesn't drain into any ocean. Chester, Do you have an answer?
Speaker 7: I do?
Speaker 1: How do you feel about your answer?
Speaker 7: Not good?
Speaker 1: Okay, Brody and Randall, I'm not are our only folks.
Speaker 8: I'm like, I'm going with what popped into my head. There's something else that is confusing me.
Speaker 4: If I get this wrong, I'll probably argue it.
Speaker 6: Okay, good to know.
Speaker 5: I might argue with him.
Speaker 1: Okay, does everybody get it wrong?
Speaker 4: You're getting it wrong?
Speaker 1: Does everybody have an answer? Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Seth saying my eb Chester is saying Salt Lake Chile without an answer, Randall saying basin, Taalin saying basin, Jiannis saying basin, Brody saying basin. The correct answer is basin. The room did pretty well. Where's burning?
Speaker 7: Man?
Speaker 11: Is that?
Speaker 1: What is the Great Black Rock? Something like that?
Speaker 4: I don't know. California, Nevada.
Speaker 1: The Great Basin Desert is the coldest of North America's four major deserts. Besides Nevada and Utah. It extends into portions of Oregon, Idaho, and California. All of the precipitation that falls there either drains into saline lakes is absorbed into the soil where disappears via evaporation. It's estimated that eighty percent of the region is public land.
Speaker 8: The Red Desert, Great Divide Basin Did you were You're worried that.
Speaker 1: Might confuse No?
Speaker 4: I wasn't.
Speaker 1: Because does the Red Desert go into Nevada.
Speaker 8: No, I'm saying it's a different place. But the Great Divide base and is where the Continental divide, and water doesn't go anywhere in there.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, maybe if I had two blanks and I left you the opportunity to.
Speaker 5: I just wondering.
Speaker 1: I was not worried about that. Brody question Question eight. The topic is fishing. What Nordic country is the headquarters of Rapaula? Confident? Randall again, and Brody and Seth, Chester and Chile. What Nordic country is the headquarters of Rapaula?
Speaker 6: I should know this too? Why should you know this my ancestors?
Speaker 1: And yeah, you hear it all sorts of different ways.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it's technically.
Speaker 1: What Nordic country is the headquarters of Rappela?
Speaker 5: Chili?
Speaker 1: You know this one?
Speaker 7: Umm?
Speaker 1: No, you know some Nordic country?
Speaker 3: I do? I have Norwegian?
Speaker 1: What Nordic country is?
Speaker 8: Boys make good lures, Rappela.
Speaker 3: Jiggery, just.
Speaker 4: Second guessing myself.
Speaker 1: It's everybody ready, go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Seth saying Sweeten, Oh, Chester saying Canada, Chile saying Sweden, Randall saying Finland, Tayland saying Switzerland, Yanni saying Sweden, Brody saying Finland. The correct answer is Finland. The perfect game continues. Rappaela was founded by a man in Finland who worked as a lumberjack in the winter and fisherman. In the summer, his wife was in charge of the bait, which she gathered from a nearby forest. On a typical day, she'd walk twenty miles just hauling minnows, which became unsustainable as their family grew. That's when her husband created his first lure, which was made of cork and covered in candy bar wrappers. For more on these For more on this story, read Kooby Brown's article on the medeater dot com called the lure that changed fishing.
Speaker 8: My favorite knife for fulan little personally and yeah, the Finlander from rappol Oh. Wow, it's a little one that's a power like ten Bucks does it?
Speaker 6: Sometimes you can get the combo right where oh it has a little the plastic sheep has a little side compartment where that little knife.
Speaker 7: Is super soft steals. It can just sharpen it.
Speaker 8: So we Yeah, it's like, I don't know, ten Bucks something like that.
Speaker 3: That's great knife, Phil.
Speaker 1: We have two questions left. Who is left in the game.
Speaker 9: Uh, it's down to Brody and Randall. They've got a perfect game with eight points. Chester, Chilliannis, Seth and Taylor cannot make up the distance.
Speaker 7: Spencer, I've got a proposal for you. Huh, you think like we can kind of team up on these guys.
Speaker 1: Ever, I don't think.
Speaker 7: So, why not?
Speaker 1: But what I will do for you, Chester is someday we're going to do a game in here where it's only people who have never won, so we're gonna have.
Speaker 2: You.
Speaker 1: Will still invite you. You won the Billings Live Show. It was a four question game of trivia that was specific to Montana. Chester took the victory there.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it doesn't count Chester.
Speaker 1: When we do that game, Chester, we'll give you a CV.
Speaker 4: I want to play with chat GPT.
Speaker 1: You want to play against it?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think that's the inverse.
Speaker 1: I think okay, I think we should just have a chat GPT round Question nine. The topic is hunting. This man owns a Colorado outfitting business, hosts easton bow Hunting TV and was the first person to complete the North American Super Slam with a recurve. Brody knows the answer. Randall is slow to come up with anything. This could separate them. No, no, no, I wants This man owns a Colorado outfitting business, hosts Easton bow Hunting TV and was the first person to complete the North American Super Slam with a recurve. Yanni, you got this one right? I believe so, Brody, you have this one right?
Speaker 4: Pretty sure?
Speaker 1: Brody thinks he'll be nine for nine. I'm feeling confident kay Chester is gonna get this one right. Randall, what do you got?
Speaker 6: I know this answer?
Speaker 4: Okay, I'm just I'm at a total loss.
Speaker 3: I see his face. I could draw he looks worried. I can draw a picture like.
Speaker 4: All the photos of these showing these animals that have been killed.
Speaker 1: Okay, tell us his name though, Randall, that's what you need to do. We could we take a pause on this. Man owns a Colorado outfitting business, hosts Easton bow Hunting TV, and was the first person to complete the North American Super Slam with a recurve. Brody, do think Randall actually knows this one?
Speaker 8: Oh yeah, he's just not going to think of it.
Speaker 5: Do you see how read my face is? This is horrible?
Speaker 6: Oh god, so close?
Speaker 5: Oh god, his.
Speaker 1: Speaking cadence is sped up.
Speaker 3: Brody's just over here. Chet, you're still blank.
Speaker 4: You're waiting on me.
Speaker 3: I can see his face.
Speaker 1: Oh you can see the hunter's face.
Speaker 6: You're saying, yeah, yeah, Taylor, do you feel like Colin didn't have any He wasn't prepared today for you to show up. And then he said, oh, you should go join the podcast studio.
Speaker 2: Well he came in and he was like, oh, I want to go play some trivia and I was like, I mean, yeah, sure. First day whatever, I thought it was just going to be a room of people, you know, not a podcast. And then we walk in and I was like, oh.
Speaker 5: Wow, Colin used to play with us. How come he has been playing lately.
Speaker 1: He's on an invite coming up. Colin will be back in the.
Speaker 3: Because he moved to Townsend doesn't.
Speaker 6: Colin doesn't tell Randall crazy. Come on, buddy, I'm at I'm jacket.
Speaker 7: I think time is up.
Speaker 5: We don't need to give you your heart medicine.
Speaker 1: Randall zipped his coat and he wiped away some sweat from his forehead.
Speaker 9: You gotta pull in some of that that Yannis energy. And because you wait four and a half minutes and then.
Speaker 1: Question nine to be in here when you read the answer, we're running out of time.
Speaker 3: Randall.
Speaker 6: Oh, I like to know that he's fallible. You know, I actually rana or this hunter Randall. Actually, I don't know if I woke up thinking about it. But at some point last twenty four hours and I knew I was coming to this show and Randall was going to be playing. I was thinking what an advantage his dissertation was. I mean, imagine he literally thousands of articles from like five decades not about this guy.
Speaker 10: Oh even just like the even like the work he's been doing with the meat eater history.
Speaker 1: This is enough, Randall. We're almost out of time.
Speaker 5: He is almost We've been out of time for five minutes.
Speaker 6: You'll play the buzzer sound.
Speaker 1: Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have seth without an answer, Chester saying fred Eichler, Chili saying fred Behar, Randall without an answer, tailing without an answer. Yanni sang Eichler. Brody sang fred Eichler. He got it. The correct answer is fred Eichler, Randall. Is that the answer you were searching for? It is Eichler. Some of the best hunting commercials of all time. When Easton declared him the most interesting bow hunter in the world, play the clips Phil.
Speaker 12: The State of Colorado had a season dedicated just for him, elk gather to watch him rut. He coined the phrase tastes like chicken. He is the most interesting bow hunter in the world.
Speaker 10: I don't bow hunt every day, but when I do, I choose Easternaros.
Speaker 6: Shoot Straight my friends.
Speaker 5: Really best hunting commercial.
Speaker 1: No, he had like a series like bottle que Walked.
Speaker 12: He's the life of hunting camps. He's never even visited. When Jimmy falls in the woods, he can hear it. He is the most interesting bow hunter.
Speaker 3: That one right there. Yeah, I don't bow hunt every day.
Speaker 1: Commercials make you feel better.
Speaker 3: You know, shoots straight friends.
Speaker 4: I'm indifferent to the commercial CA I mean it's it's fun. I hadn't seen that one, so adds a bit of levity to the moment. But uh I, twenty twenty four is over.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 8: You know what I like by that dude. He seems to have fun, seems to enjoy himself.
Speaker 6: Jesse was your counter.
Speaker 7: I'm pretty sure I just met him at I think it was the ATA show, which is the Archery Trade Association show, when I was building recurved bows, and he just kind of had some interest in the bows we built.
Speaker 1: We're onto question ten. We have Randall with one wrong answer, Brody with the perfect game. We would need Brody to get this wrong, Randall to get this right, to go to overtime. The topic is cooking. This last great question comes to his via my wife, Shelby Huber. According to Taste of Home, asking for medium rare blank is how you order steak that's between medium rare and medium. Brody slow to come up with an answer. According to Taste of Home, asking for medium rare blank is how you order a steak that's between medium rare and medium Taylor, did you come up with an answer? Do you think you know this one?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 1: Okay, Taylor has it right. Seth is joining her with an answer. Brody and Randall have yet to write anything down.
Speaker 2: Well, I worked in restaurants up until this point. Oh, namely Riverside Country Club and uh, downtown Bozeman. That's the steakhouses around the state, so.
Speaker 1: Don't give any hints. But had you heard someone order a steak like this before?
Speaker 2: Yes? Okay, this is about the one thing that'll get a plate thrown at.
Speaker 9: You, and okay, don't do this.
Speaker 1: According to Taste of Home, asking for medium rare blank is how you order a steak that's between medium rare and medium Randal, how do you feel about your answer.
Speaker 3: I feel.
Speaker 4: I feel fine. Okay, again, we feel fine.
Speaker 1: We need Brody to get this wrong and Randall to get this right to go to overtime, or Brody could just get it wrong and have the second perfect Game of twenty twenty four.
Speaker 5: I didn't even know this was a thing that exists.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I never even heard of phil.
Speaker 1: Had you heard of this?
Speaker 3: Never? Okay, I've waited tables for.
Speaker 4: A while too. I would have assumed it was just sort of like a medium rare e like a noise and a hand.
Speaker 3: The answer medium rare and a little more.
Speaker 1: Yeah, seth Oh you ever heard of this?
Speaker 2: Or no?
Speaker 3: I made something up?
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, Randall changing his answer according to Taste of Home. Asking for medium rare blank is how you order a steak that's between medium rare and medium?
Speaker 4: Can I?
Speaker 3: Can? I? I have a question?
Speaker 13: Do you think in the future there could be the hash marks for like the film for the fill in the blank questions? There can be enough spaces why not?
Speaker 1: I don't want to give you that hint. When I want to give you that hint, I'll tell you, like this nine letter true. If I feel like the question is too hard, that's a little bit extra that I'll give you.
Speaker 5: I think I think this question.
Speaker 1: Is too hard. We could use a little Okay, Brody wants this perfect game. Taylin may be the only person who gets this.
Speaker 9: One at Spencer when it's too easy.
Speaker 10: One thing about that SaaS press questions, like the most common thing that you saspress.
Speaker 1: Four is like, t you talked about that event factoid.
Speaker 3: I know, but if you would have put it in the question didn't make sense.
Speaker 1: We had four or seven people get it right, which I feel good about that.
Speaker 4: Rutier seth geez.
Speaker 1: Is everybody ready, go ahead and reveal your answers. We have saying medium, rare, well Chester, you're saying well done, Chili saying well done. Randall sang medium, Taylan sang plus, Yanni sang medium, Brody saying well, Taylan got it the correct answer. She was the only one.
Speaker 6: To get it.
Speaker 4: That was my first guess, just being a smartass.
Speaker 6: Ye, And then what happened.
Speaker 4: I just thought, I don't know, would you realize I imagine someone sitting in a restaurant saying the word plus, uh huh, and it just sounded like so unsophisticated.
Speaker 1: Medium rare tamp is considered one thirty to one thirty five, while medium is one forty one forty five. So medium rare plus is aiming for one thirty five to one forty. But according to an article in the Restaurant Manifesto, most kitchens will be annoyed if you order a steak to that level of specificity. They say it's a designation that should be only used in select steakhouses and not your local diner or Texas roadhouse. Taylor tell us about what would happen when someone would order a medium rare plus.
Speaker 2: Well, in my experience, it's been a stern conversation of tell them we don't.
Speaker 1: With the customer, we don't do that.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, go back into the kitchen. Oh say so, and so they want mediumware plus And then you kind of stand there like and wait for them to respond like absolutely.
Speaker 3: Not, okay, absolutely not.
Speaker 1: So do you do you tell the customer that they don't get medium ware plus or you just give it to him. You're like, here, it is mediumware plus.
Speaker 4: We did it just for you.
Speaker 2: Kind of glaze over it unless they raise raise an eyebrow.
Speaker 1: There you go, well done, Brody nine correct answers couldn't come up with medium rare plus. What happens next is Brody gets to choose where the five hundred dollars from Meat Eater goes. Brody, what's it gonna be? Uh?
Speaker 8: Coloradam's for responsible wildlife management?
Speaker 1: What are the guys going on over there right now?
Speaker 8: They've got a battle going on over the people that are trying to attack various forms of hunting, so they need all the help they.
Speaker 1: Can get five hundred dollars going their way. Well done, Brody. Randall should have stuck with your joke answer of medium rare plaus and we'd be doing overtimer.
Speaker 4: But you know, had I gotten that last question right, then I would have been mad about question nine and because it would have cost me my perfect game. But now the fred Eichler question didn't cost me my perfect game. I wouldn't have gotten it anyway, So I feel great. Brodie didn't get a perfect game. I'm back on an even keel. Let's play another round.
Speaker 1: Good for you, Randall, join us next time for more Meat Eater Trivia, The only game show where conservation always wins.
Speaker 6: H