Speaker 1: First of all, you don't know me.
Speaker 2: We all about that high school drama. Girl Drama, Girl, all about them.
Speaker 3: High school queens. We'll take you for a ride, and our comic girl sharing for the right teams. Drama Queens, Girl of Girl Fashion, but your tough girl, you could sit with us.
Speaker 4: Girl Drama, Queens Drama, Queise Drama, Queens Drama, Drama, Queens Drama Queens.
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 2: Hey, hey, Tree Hill fans, welcome back to the show. You have me and Robert Buckley today and a very special guest. How you doing, rob.
Speaker 5: I'm doing well. It's good to see you.
Speaker 2: You too.
Speaker 5: You have you look kind of like you just stepped off the set of Grease. Right now you're out describe it to the people, because I'm a guy and I wouldn't be able to describe it.
Speaker 6: Well.
Speaker 2: I've got a light pink satin headband and a light pink and orange satin shirt. This is uh. This is one of the wonderful things about knowing how to get ready really fast is you find you have glamorous things in your closet. And about ten minutes ago, I was laying in my bed with greasy hair and overnight T shirt because I've been working from my bed all morning. I just got up a flight yesterdam exhausted.
Speaker 1: I just put on the same black T shirt every day, the same black T shirt. That's it. I will say, though, that you guys were pretty cruel having me on right after the Golden Bachelorette premiere. It did a lot of crying last night.
Speaker 2: Oh no, well, actually, our audience doesn't even know who you are yet. We have to tell ladies and gentlemen, the voice that you're hearing is Michael Grubbs aka Wakey Wakey aka Grubs, the bartender in One Tree Hill. Akay, got your ghost.
Speaker 1: Hi, it's me, It's me. It's so cool to be here.
Speaker 5: Thanks for having me, of course, buddy, thanks for being here. Listen, y'all gott to hop on the YouTube to check out a Joy's cool retrofit and be just the monster glow up that Grubs has had. I mean, he was a handsome guy before, but you got to see what he has going on now. He looks like a man who figured it out right.
Speaker 1: I would say, Robert Buckley, someone who is literally I mean, so many memes made of just your gorgeousness, and for you to say that to me, just based on how you know it's it's it's big, it's big words.
Speaker 2: So I am, why does your skin still look exactly the same like baby skin? What's going on?
Speaker 1: I'll tell you, honestly what it is. It's a setting on Zoom that you can put on called make me not look like crap, and it's it's it's an add on. I got it's pretty expensive, but uh no, I don't. I don't. I think honestly. My beard turns so white and I'm I'm allergic to die, so I can't dye my beard. It will it burns my face off. So I'm just I'm a natural guy, and I kind of I don't know. Maybe that's it. It's it's because of the wild whiteness of my beard next to my face, and it makes me look better skinned.
Speaker 2: Do you still have the softest beard in the world.
Speaker 1: No, the softest beer in the world now belongs to my dog bus He's yeah, sitting here say he's way softer than I am. But that is very sweet of you to say. Now I'm blushing.
Speaker 5: Go ahead, Rob, I was gonna say, Grubbs is using the filter that's called doesn't have kids.
Speaker 1: It is it is hound dogs instead of kids. It's the best way to stay young.
Speaker 5: Oh, sleep, it'll keep you youthful.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've been doing it lately. It's great.
Speaker 5: Thank you for being here today, buddy. I've been excited for you to be on. I kind of started on this podcast basically I left the show and then kind of never revisited it. So when I joined the podcast, I was sort of kind of watching the show as like a first time viewer, and so all of it. I remember some stuff, you know, but there's have been a lot of surprises, and you were such a fantastic surprise this season. And i've because the truth is like, we didn't interact very much, so I didn't really know your story, and it has been so much fun to watch you do your thing. And then when this episode happened, you know, and you play your first song, it was like, oh, this is we got we gotta bring him in for this man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I have so many questions for you, but actually, would you do us the honors of reading the synopsis?
Speaker 1: Here we go synopsis by Grubbs. Episode seven hundred and twelve, or seven one two as the kids call it. Season seven, episode twelve, Some Roads Lead Nowhere. The air date was December seventh, two thousand and nine. As Nathan and Haley prepare for the Famili's move to Barcelona, Brooks struggles to accept Julian's reaction to Alex's crisis. Quinn helps Clay hatch a plan to win back Nathan as a client. Meanwhile, Millie's downward spiral puts her and Mouth at a crossroads, and Dan Scott's pronouncement shocks Rachel and his audience.
Speaker 5: Y nice, no notes?
Speaker 2: All right, so new kid in high school? How did it feel well coming onto the show for the first time? Wintree Hill? How did the job come about? How did it feel coming onto the set that was already kind of a well oiled machine at that point? Like? What was your vibe?
Speaker 1: I mean, my story is crazy. I might as well be like an astronaut that got dropped on the moon. I had no idea what I was walking into. I had never been on a film set, or a television set or anything. My origin story with the show involves me playing at an open mic in New York and Brooklyn and being spotted by Shane Fuel, one of the writers on the show. Yeah, and Shana, who has to this day like a good I sang at her wedding. But I when I I went to this open mic just to hang out and I saw Shana, and to be totally honest with everyone, I really wanted to flirt with her. I wanted, and I didn't know her, and I was scared of her. So I asked my friend that ran the open mic to set me up to sing next so she would like hear me sing and then I'd be confident enough to talk to her. So anyway, I've seen these songs. I went over and I was like, you know, kind of sauntered up, and she like, she was like, I'm gonna stop you right there. I'm wearing a giant engagement ring and I know that you don't see that because you're like a guy from Brooklyn, but this is this is it. I'm flattered that, you know whatever, but I want to talk to you about your songs and this show. And so the next week she brought the boss out to see the same open mic. I sang the same songs, and they started using the songs on the show. That led to basically me somehow having a relationship with a cast and I was a bartender at this plays Schiller's liquor bar that was like kind of like a cool spot in Brooklyn. And so anytime the cast came to New York for like you know, what's upfronts or stuff like that. I don't know, anytime they were in New York, a crew would always come to the bar and hang out.
Speaker 2: No way, no, wait, hold on a second.
Speaker 5: Yeah you actually you were grubs in real life before you were grubs on One Tree Hill.
Speaker 1: I can't believe you guys don't know the story. This story is, yeah, this is this is this is the coolest thing of the whole thing. I mean, this is like the craziest of luck ever. So they would come to the and it got to the point though, like the first time everybody like there was like maybe six or seven folks came and sat at the bar. And Schiller's was like an intense environment to be in, like it was a wild place. It was very cool. It was loud. Everyone came and sat down. I threw menus in front of everyone and everyone was like, uh, I don't know, and I was super busy, and I was just like, you know what, guys, I know what. You all want to drink, I'm just gonna make your drinks.
Speaker 2: Stop it right now.
Speaker 1: This is real, Swear to god, it's a completely true story. And we talked, yeah totally, and so I just made drinks for everyone because it was like a great bar. It was like it was like a cocktail bar before cocktail bars like that really existed kind of in New York. So I made everyone just like really delicious, fancy cocktails and everyone was like, this is awesome, and like it was I think to the point where like James, I like cracked open a beer and gave him like a you know, everyone, I nailed it. It was awesome. So anyway, that became beyond the show grubs, the bartender that could guess everyone's strengths. But yeah, so fast forward to I made my first record and nobody knew who we were and it was clear we were never going to be successful.
Speaker 2: Wait wait wait, why why was it clear you wouldever going to be successful? Then you can't just skip.
Speaker 1: Over that nobody cared, nobody cared about our music whatsoever. It was wild. I mean, it's just I feel like this is probably the experience that so many musicians have too, because music is such a fickle thing, and I was the exact same guy that I am now is the exact same guy that played the music on the show. And I would go to bars and I would play my music and everyone would just talk over it and nobody cared. I remember, like before the first sync placement happened, I was already in my thirties, and I called my mom and I was like, you know what like and my parents were musicians too, and they were super proud of me that I was trying to be a musician in New York. And I called my mom and I was like, hey, you know, I just can't make this work. And I don't. I don't really want to do it anymore because I can't. Nobody cares, and it's it's so hard to care about something so much and I have nobody care. And then so I told her I was gonna quit and get another job. I hadn't variable with the other job was going to be yet. And then the first sync happened, which was on season six, and it was Worstweater was the song and they played it like front to back, and the next day that song was like number thirteen on the iTunes charts at the time, and I called my mom and I was like, suck. That's the power of this show for music. I mean, it would it was wild. It made my career. Wow.
Speaker 2: Wow, like you were ready to give up, you were done?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was out. I was done. And it's fine. I mean, at some point, I know we have to talk about some roads leading to nowhere.
Speaker 5: But the we'll get there.
Speaker 1: Yeah. But yeah, So anyway, fast forward, that placement happens. That's awesome. People start to know who my band is. The cast is coming to the bar to hang out. I'm guessing everybody's drinks. And then I finished my first record. I invite the boss of the show to come out to New York. I play him the record and he was like, I'm gonna write you a role on the show. He's like, because these songs are too good for people not to know them, which is like very flattering, and I did not believe it for a second. He was like, I'm gonna write you a role. You're gonna play yourself. Your character is gonna be grubs. You're gonna be a bartender that knows what everybody wants to drink. And then we're gonna set you up as like this hero character and everyone's gonna we're gonna make you really lovable, and then halfway through the season, we're gonna reveal that you're a musician. And I was like, sure, buddy, sounds great. I'll like awesome and I'm.
Speaker 2: Like, oh, wait by the phone.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, I'll be here waiting, And literally month later, I was i'd like played some shows on tour, and I was on my way back from like the saddest, most empty show in the world in the back of this van and my phone rang and it was a show and they were like, hey, we're doing this weekend and I was like, oh, I gotta work. I gotta you know, I'm at the bar and they were like, do you think you could cover it? And I was like maybe, and they're like, yeah, we really want you to come down and tape your first episode and I was like what. So then I went to the bar and told him that I had to start taking the show. Everyone was super scited. My manager at the bar, who was like kind of a jerk to be fair, like, I don't want to. I think it's really unfair to frame people that aren't here to protect themselves. But he was a tough manager, I guess is a good way to stay. Had always wanted to be an actor, and he got super nervous when I told him, and he was almost like, oh, like that's so cool, Like do you think they're you know, would love to hear more about that or whatever for me exactly. And I was like, dude, I don't.
Speaker 5: Does this bar have a manager? Yeah? We already do.
Speaker 1: They already do.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So anyway, fast forward then like we uh, I went down started taking the show, and I ended up quitting that job and becoming a musician for a long time. It's really awesome. So that's my My origin story is wild. It's wild, like I got struck by lightning.
Speaker 5: That's crazy.
Speaker 2: You're Marilyn Monroe getting discovered at the soda shop like that story, Harrison Ford in the constructions shop at at Warnerboro, Like that's amazing.
Speaker 5: But it's even cooler because I think the neatest part about your character. I was seeing this the other day was this. I genuinely had a moment of going, what a really clever idea the writers came up with with him. His thing is that he can guess people's drinks, So it's like you didn't just get discovered. They've kind of discovered the entire character in what you were doing. Yeah, you know what I mean, that's crazy.
Speaker 2: It so cool?
Speaker 1: Is it true? So I just heard this too, Like I was one of my friends. Did you guys watch the show Girls? You remember Girls?
Speaker 2: Only a few episodes?
Speaker 1: Okay, so Girls Elena Dunmaman show that was massive. Evidently there was a character on that show that was a singer songwriter in New York that got cast on One Tree Hill and was on One Tree Hill playing himself. And one of my friends came to his last week and told me that, and I was like, I've never heard about that, and I would have heard about that. And then my partner was like, that's a thing. Like that's a thing. And not only that, it's cousin from the Bear. The dude who plays cousin on The Bear played me on Girls. And I just found this out. Anyway, everyone at home, if you if you can get to the bottom of this, I'm I'm obsessed.
Speaker 2: We need to see this episode. I need rest of my life. How do we find it?
Speaker 1: Yeah, he was like a long character in the whole thing is that he was like on one Tree Hill, So he was like cool musician guy, and I'm like.
Speaker 5: Oh my god, those be like me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was dramatized on a show I dramatized myself. Yeah, but it's fun to this day. Anytime I'm at a party and someone asks anything about drinks, I'm like, I got you. And I was like, it's cool. I've played a Barts and Run TV and I can I can take it from there, so it's pretty cool.
Speaker 5: That's wild.
Speaker 7: Man.
Speaker 5: What did you think watching this episode? Did you have any big takeaways?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I mean I first off, like I am totally in your camp bluckily, Like I I really never watched the show, like because I came from like this weird little group of Brooklyn hipsters that was like I didn't even own a TV when the show came out, you know what I mean, Like literally didn't own a TV. And it just like I knew that One Trial was the thing, but like I didn't know anything about it, and and like literally to the point of when I went down there the first time, we all went out for drinks and I knew James. I'd never met Stephen Kaletti, and James was like, hey, we're going to meet you the place me and Steven are coming down. I was like, okay, cool. Didn't know who Stephen was, but just pretended that I did because I was so scared of everything at the time. So I was like, of course Stephen Klady's going to be there, having no idea met him, hung out with him all night long, and then halfway through the night, had a little aside with him and I was like, so, how do you know all these people? Like what brings you to a woman? He was like, I'm actually like a pretty big character on the show. And I was like, cool, That's always been my little secret with him that I yeah.
Speaker 2: So I'm kind of a big deal.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And when the show aired, we would have like viewing parties in Brooklyn with a bunch of my friends and we would all just be drinking the whole time. And then anytime I was on TV, everyone would yell he's on, he's on, He's on, and everyone would like come over and have a little moment, and then the scene would end and everyone be like yay, and then we'd like go back to party mode. So I never really like took the show's in and I had this I thought I knew what this show was, and in watching this, what I've realized is that I had no idea what this show was. Like I don't know if it's like a hindsight twenty twenty thing, but I think like all the assumption that I had about this show were wrong. And I kind of want to go like engage with all the fans and be like, I didn't really know what you guys were watching, Like that's wild, like that show and it's funny because I thought it was gonna be like like when you like bust open, Like you know, I think it's exactly like busting open to Brittany Spears record. Like you're like, in your mind, you're like like this is kind of like a guilty pleasure, and then you open it and you're like, holy shit, this is pretty good. Actually, like this is actually like and it's fun. Like thinking about the show, it's like there's so there are a lot of things that the show got wrong right, but there's so many things they got right. Like the way it was showcasing music was wild. The way it was showcasing these things was awesome, Like and you know, I I see in this story, like the you know, there were so many times that they were trying to say positive things like you know what I mean, all the mills and storyline they're trying to say, like hey, like don't kill yourself, Like that's stupid, you know what I mean, It's a bad idea to go kill yourself, you know. Like the way that they were like, we're dramatizing this, but we're also trying to undramatize it at the same time. I saw the effort they were trying to do the right thing in that instance.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there were a lot of times they really tried to deal with real issues, and it wasn't always right. You know. Sometimes I think they've used a lot of things that were real issues just as a dramatic device instead of actually dealing with them properly. But there were a lot of times too when they really made an effort and put time and care into the characters and those storylines. And I think this was a good episode for you to have watched in that case, knowing that you haven't really seen it much before, spent time with it, because it moved pretty fast and it felt like all the characters were really moving forward. There was a lot happening, and every scene felt like a coda for the whole movie. I mean, the whole show felt like the end of an episode.
Speaker 5: Yeah yeah, I found myself going this had to have been on mid season finale, right, Yes. It was my feeling like this episode tried to do the most in my opinion, you know, rather than like, let's hit a couple singles, a couple doubles, a couple of triples, maybe a home run or two, it was every single at bat, We're swinging for the fences, and I think it succeeded in a couple of them, and it really swung and missed on a few as well. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it did feel like it was like my takeaway from this that my grand takeaway is like this episode was everybody's hero shot. Like everybody had their hero moment in this episode where it was like, oh my god. Like even like the first shot of you by the pool Buckley is just like this, it's just it's it feels like the end of a Tom Cruise movie, you know what I mean, Like the sun setting in the background, you're like perfectly tan, and you're sitting there and you just like take your phone and flip it into the pool. You're like I have nothing for outside conversation. I'm fine alone. Like, it was just this hero shot of you, and that continued throughout the show. Everyone had their little like hero moment.
Speaker 2: You know that's great. Yeah. I liked the opening too, and I liked seeing let me, let's talk about Clay.
Speaker 5: Like.
Speaker 2: I really enjoyed watching Clay get to this point where he's happy. I mean, you've been so tortured since we met you. This was really cool.
Speaker 5: Yeah. I had fun with the Clay and Quinn stuff. I enjoyed all of that because, like last episode, it was odd because she was just making so much effort that wasn't being reciprocated by Clay, and I found myself going, okay, but this doesn't feel balanced. But I liked it because they kind of got on the same page on this one. One of the things I did remember was the dance tryout, which all of the gold Stars for Chantel because there is no there is no vanity in comedy, and she did not hold back, no one ounce. She went fall on and it works. It's hilarious and iconic because she committed like that. But I just I respect the hell out of the choice to like, I'm going to make myself look as silly as possible. Yes, that was also great.
Speaker 1: Were you guys there when they've Oh of course you were there, Buckley, But I don't like I was not. So I went to set that day for numerous reasons, which we'll get into, but I'm pretty sure I rode with Chantale to set, like for some reason, I was in their van or something. And I remember her being just terrified of having to like put on that outfit and go out there and do that stuff. Like this show really has a way of taking women and making them put on outfits they don't they're not comfortable, like forcing that. I remember it happened in India in the craziest way. Oh yeah, and so she I remember her feeling very stressed about that, but then the way that she did the dance everything, because it wasn't just like a close set. There was a whole crowd of cheerleaders standing there watching. The bleachers were full, like I remember there being a ton of people there and and just her being so stressed, and she was I mean, she pulled it off. She was so funny and great. I think we had extra drinks that night.
Speaker 2: I believe it now. She did. She committed wholeheartedly and that's why it worked. And the build up to that of her when you were parked with the car on the phone call and she's trying to feed the cow behind you, and there was all the.
Speaker 1: Incredible, incredible.
Speaker 5: I did have a moment again. There was some real head scratchers in this one for me, and one of them came early, pretty early on, when I don't know if it's early on, but Clay, whose house is literally on the beach, gets fully dressed for a day of work. I'm talking dress, shoes, sport coat, slacks, and walks straight from his house where he has swimming trunks and other outfit choices, and he walked straight into the ocean, leaving his coat on the beach. I'm just thinking, why put those clothes on, Bud. Your house is right, You didn't have to commute here from the office.
Speaker 6: It was a.
Speaker 2: Spontaneous thought, that's it. He wasn't planning on it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, his own rules.
Speaker 5: But there's stuff. The clack Quinn stuff I thought was nice. I like the way it ended, you know, that was very sweet.
Speaker 2: I was actually confused about that, and maybe I missed something. But when she says no, and then has this big kind of dramatic pause and then says, I'll come out to you.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: You're like, I'll come in, and she says, no, I'll come out, as though she's been holding back and now she's somehow coming towards you.
Speaker 5: I didn't understand, yeah, because in a previous episode we talked about what we were afraid of and she said it's the ocean, and Clay goes why she says, because of the immensity. That's why earlier in the car I make a comment about I was thinking about the ocean and the immensity.
Speaker 2: And all that I missed it, thank you.
Speaker 5: The part that confused me about that was I don't think Clay knew she was coming. So it's like, again, bro, why are you fully dressed in the ocean? Again? What is happening in your house is literally right there and you are shoes, saws, the whole nine.
Speaker 1: Don't think too hard about it, Robert, you know what I mean. It's yeah, you guys look great. I remember also, wasn't it like freezing cold that day? Yes? I remember that being a discussion. That was like when you guys were going into the water to tape you were like, it's it's like the waters like thirty degrees or something like that was.
Speaker 5: Like bar Dick, it was chilly the day Paul drowned me as well. It was cold there a lot. But yeah, speaking of having to sort of not like do any investigating or look too closely at it, I have issues with uh okay. So Alex obviously tries to unlive herself in the bathtub. She goes to the hospital when apparently Milly finds out. I'm assuming she got a call somehow. I was very curious as to why. Rather than go to the hospital, she chooses to go to the hotel room, which apparently the door is still wide open, and sit in the blood and cry. And then as I'm sitting there, going what the hell, mouth walks in, who is very rational at this point, unlike Milly, and I'm thinking, good, pick your girl up, get her out of the blood, and you know, go have a talk. No, no, he sits down in the bigger puddle of blood next to her. In what world would you not be either going to check on your friend cleaning up the blood, but instead you're like, I'm gonna I'm gonna take these dnim pants and pop them down in that blood.
Speaker 1: What I feel like, You're like, whoa, whoa, whoa, get out of the blood, Milly, Milly, come on instead, you're like, yeah, we're doing this.
Speaker 2: This is the wrong place to be.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, I totally agree. I thought it was really strange as well. Did she get a phone call? I missed the phone call? She got one.
Speaker 5: The reason why, here's the only way that makes sense to me, is because if she didn't get a phone call, that means she showed up to Alex's room. The door was open, no one was in there, there was blood everywhere, and she decided to cry and sit in the act of crime scene.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which is worth us?
Speaker 5: Which is worse? So I just told myself, Okay, she had to get a phone call. The other confusing thing is so Julian's in the hospital with her, and I think, obviously, and he saves her life whatever I'm thinking. Okay, he checked his phone and got her voicemail at the end of last episode. Okay, I guess that makes sense. He kicked down her door. He asked the hotel phone room, a room key. Whatever. No, they make a point of saying I was coming by, he says, I was coming by your apartment to tell you we got financing. And then so I'm thinking to myself, Dude, if you just casually popped by her hotel room and not and no one answered, in.
Speaker 2: What world you went in?
Speaker 5: Would you a do you have a room key? If so, bro, your boundaries are horrible And if you don't, why would you think like, I should probably get the hotel to let me in. You know what I mean?
Speaker 2: No, it's full of holes. There's so many problems. This was one of my biggest issues working on the show that I felt like I was constantly trying to help solve these problems. I thought I was helping, and I was really just exhausting everyone because nobody wanted to think about that hard but it is. It drives me crazy because when you watch it, you're like, this doesn't make sense, and it could like it's not that hard to make a few adjustments to make something make sense. And then you're not asking the audience to suspend reality further than they've already decided to by sitting down and turning on a television. Do you know what I mean?
Speaker 5: Yes? I also felt like on the heels of last week's episode when we were talking about directing, and you asked me if I ever wanted to direct, and I said, yeah, but it's intimidating. Not gonna lie. Halfway through this episode, I found myself going, I think I could do this. If this is it, I can do it.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, absolutely, absolutely. Another questionable choice in this episode. You, I mean, Michael, you sit down, Michael. What do you prefer people to call you Grubs or Mike? Where do you go by?
Speaker 1: I go with all of it. I do Mike or I do Michael. And honestly, either way, I'm gonna judge you. If you call me Mike, I'll be like, okay, have you call me Michael. I'll be like, all right, that's a little you know what I mean. There's no right choice.
Speaker 2: No, but you sit down at the piano. You sit down at the piano, and I'm like, oh god, this is great. They're going to do the big reveal, and all of a sudden, this great shot that's set up for you to surprise us goes into an overhead crane shot and there's like six different setups of you playing the piano that is so distracting. It looks like it's not actually you play, saying because they keep cutting away from your face and your hands. I was I was frustrated watching that. It really was like as an audience member, it was one of those moments I thought, you can trust me. I'm here with the story, Like you really don't have to do all this stuff. Just leave the camera there and I would like to enjoy this moment. Please stop doing things.
Speaker 1: It felt like it was like almost like to for the time. So two things. One, in their defense, the opening to that song is not to a click, so it is not actually it's like you know, typically I guess for people at home, the arm familiarly. Typically when you record music, there's a click track on so you can recreate the performance over and over. So that was just a live single take of me doing that. So it's really hard to match that. So maybe they were trying to match it with my fingers and I was doing a poor job. In their defense. One two, I think they go into this this is what a show does when music is played mindset, where it's like we're bouncing around, we've got moving things, we've got whatever he's got to shake. I remember like playing it and being like can you move more? And I was like not in play the piano successfully, and it's like the cuts of it, it's just like I'm shaking my head when I'm like not doing anything and I'm like doing And I remember, like when I hit the first note, they were like, make it dramatic, you know what I mean. And I'm like, okay, but like when you actually play a piano, you don't just like smack it, you know what I mean. But I like did the first like thing. I hit it and I felt like I like, I was like, did I just break my finger? My finger? And I was like, uh, just keep going power through. I was fine, but I hit it so hard I almost hurt myself. Yeah, But I mean they're like, wait, you.
Speaker 5: Could just if you could just like kiss your hand before you slap the keys and blow on it like it's on fire.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly perfect.
Speaker 5: But joy, You're right. There were again, there was so there were some shots where I felt the same way where it was like, oh my gosh, just trust the audience. There was a moment in Clay's kitchen where she goes where Quinn says, hey, I talk to your old assistant. I don't even know why. But then she goes you know. The piece of news I got was so and So's mom is sick. And it pans to like like a cowboy shot, meaning like down to like a little like between my knees and my waist of Clay and it zooms into my face for an aha moment. Oh god, And I couldn't. I couldn't.
Speaker 2: It's commercial directing tied.
Speaker 5: Yeah, like, oh, Clay just had a thought. It was like did you did you need to what? It just it took me out of the moment, like what are we? What are we doing?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I really really loved the stuff with Dan.
Speaker 5: Oh my gosh, that was so good.
Speaker 2: Such a winning storyline for me in this episode.
Speaker 5: He's a master of stillness.
Speaker 2: I have that too. Paul is where is it? I did? Paul is so good at stillness. I wrote it down. He is. He was just so dropped in and centered and didn't have to do anything, did everything with his eyes. Oh so underrated. I love him.
Speaker 1: He always scared me so much.
Speaker 2: In real life or on the show.
Speaker 1: In real life and scared me so much. There were certain actors on the show I was scared. I think it was just because they were so good, Like, you know what I mean they were so like I feel like, yeah, he was definitely one of those Antoine also skills, like I felt, I was like, he's so he just lives this character so much. I remember having a scene with him and being terrified to do.
Speaker 2: It because have you ever done any acting before?
Speaker 1: I mean, so I got a degree in musical theater in college. Yeah, and I was gonna I was on like the Broadway route for a long time. I actually like did touring musical theater for a minute. Yeah. I was like, oh, that was my thing. So I was going to be the singing actor. And I hated it though. I was very It just was doing the same thing every single night. But you guys know, acting on a stage and acting on a set are such completely different skill sets. And I yeah, I didn't know. I didn't know what a mark was like the first time. Like the mark is a little expert you have to stand on. And they were like, you should stand on that. And I was like, I'll work on it, and they were like, no, you really should. You should stand right on that. I was like, oh, okay, cool, And yeah, I mean there's a there's a real technicality to screen acting that I think i'd never ever gotten. Luckily, you guys were such saints with me about explaining what everything was, and you were all so patient with me and wonderful me. I remember, it's so India, my you know, who played Miranda on the show, my love interest, like her her now husband would actually like fly in and they would give me like acting lessons and we would do like scene work and stuff.
Speaker 3: Did.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we tried so hard to make me not a bad actor for this show.
Speaker 2: Great. That's what was so fascinating that. I mean now knowing that you had musical theater training that is informative, but you were so natural, you were so comfortable. It seemed like you were completely unaware of the camera, unaware of yourself, and you were just there in the moment with the other people in the scene. That's actually it seems to be very hard to do for a lot of people. You were great.
Speaker 5: I wish i'd know they literally wrote you into the show. I think trying to act would have really been a mistake. The best thing you could do is to not act and just be like, what would I do in this situation? Yeah, I mean, because they just took you and put you on the show. They didn't even take the time to change your name, like this is Gavin. It was like, no, he's grubs. He picked strings in your life, that's him.
Speaker 1: When I got to set the first time, I remember, I went into the hair and makeup trailer and they were like, you're not allowed to They were like we were We've been told we're not allowed to touch you when I first walked in, Like we're not allowed to cut your hair, we're not allowed to do anything. We have to wait or whatever until like the boss came and like signed off on everything, and like it was funny because the reason I had long hair on the show is because I was so poor that I hadn't I just was like haircuts. I can't really afford haircuts at this point in life, so I had not gotten my haircut in like eight months or something, so my hair had just grown out and I had like long hair on the show. And then I got there and they were like, we love what you've done with your hair, and I was like, actually, like the cruel, the cruel you know, society and the world exactly. Yeah, it's so wild, Like I mean talk about like feeling like I was on me Like I remember like my power got cut off at my apartment at one point before I like went to shoot because I was just so poor and like and you know, it's just that's but you know, then I got that uh that uh one Tree Hill.
Speaker 2: Did you think you were going to stay longer than an episode? Like once? Once the episode was over, were you like, Wow, that was cool, but there's no way I'm going to keep doing this, Like yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Mean I I never knew exactly what was going on, and I was always so terrified of everything and everyone to ask you know what I mean, Like, yeah, I remember one time I betany you'll you'll you'll love Like I remember seeing that you got a cucumber sandwich one time from Crafty and I was like, yeah, that looks dope. That sandwich looks awesome, Like it's like cucumber is a little like something. I don't know what it was, but I was like and I went over to Crafty and I was like, hey, can I'm one of those and they're like, we we really only do that for her, and I was like, OK. Things, and I like there were like a few things that happened like that that just kind of like smacked me into place, and I was like, okay, cool, I'm definitely like basically a glorified extra.
Speaker 2: That makes me so mad. I wish you had just been like, they won't make me your sandwich? Can I have? When I've been like, yeah, here eat this, I'll go get a different one.
Speaker 5: I know that you would too, in the audacity that it's not like a like a faux grass sound word, like it's not like you know, like sliders, it's cucumbers.
Speaker 2: It's not hidden in the back of the fridge.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, that's unbelievable.
Speaker 1: Yeah it's wild. But yeah, I don't know. Yeah, there were so many wa things like that, but just yeah, I don't know. I can't remember what your initial question was, but the answer is, yes, well.
Speaker 2: We were talking about pup Paul scared you. But then oh yeah, but let's talk about Dan and Rachel because I think that I feel like it's finally happened. I hope. I don't eat my words, but I think Dan actually might really be turning a corner this time.
Speaker 5: I I agree again, I don't know anything, I like, I genuinely don't member I remember there. I remember two things that happen in the rest of the series with him, and neither of them, well one of them is admirable and the other one I don't remember why it happens, but I'm with you, so I don't know either. But to give away all of his money and just walk away from his show, that's that's walking the walk. That's not just talking.
Speaker 2: I mean, look it to play Devil's Advocate. It is the only way that he could win with Rachel, win over Rachel. So you know, if you want to look at it that way, where he's kind of like, I'll always make more money. I've got my mind. I can think of new ways to make money and new schemes. I'm not going to let her win. I'm going to give everything away. He could be doing that.
Speaker 1: I mean, he also goes over to Jackson though at the end, and it's like I've done bad things like saying to your little child, you know what I mean, like your little grandchaw being like I'm a bad dude, you know, Like that's that's.
Speaker 2: Pretty committed for Forgiveness is like the through line for him though so far, and it seems like it's sincere.
Speaker 5: I think the biggest show of the sincerity is the fact and of the guilt is the fact that he chose to take a commuter bus rather than buy a plane ticket, because that is going to be a long drive as opposed to a short flight.
Speaker 2: Do we even know where he's going?
Speaker 5: No, I don't know why. I kept feeling like he was going to go like Guatemala, That's.
Speaker 2: What I thought too, But I thought he was going to South America.
Speaker 5: Interesting.
Speaker 2: Why did I think that?
Speaker 5: I don't know. That's so strange. I hope we get more of Rachel because the one thing that I loved that story in this episode, but the one thing I wanted more of was her to have some recourse or some I just want to see more of her. She was so dynamic this season.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I wonder if she sticks around like now, she's stuck in Tree Hill. She doesn't have anything. She's going to have to figure something else out now, So maybe they kept her around. I don't remember. There Oh so many things I don't remember.
Speaker 5: I thought all of the stuff with uh Haley and Nathan and Jamie was was lovely.
Speaker 2: The tomato was so much fun, so.
Speaker 5: Fun him doing the Mada door stuff, the Coca del Toro.
Speaker 2: We had to have a story. I have a story about this so so Jackson's mom was always on set with him and the shot with him with the bar of soap in his mouth. They had they had crafted this glycerine flavored you know it was. It was a bar of soap that could you actually could put in your mouth. It probably tasted like strawberry or something. It was totally edible. And they showed it to him and he and they were like, this is the bar of soap. It's edible. Don't worry about it. There's no soap in here, no nothing. And and our boss asked Jackson's mom if it was okay if we saw switched it out for a real bar of soap to get a real reaction out of him. Sure, And she thought, she was like, oh, sure, that'll be funny. And poor Jackson is I don't know how old he was at the time. I think it was eight or nine, But that age is kind of fragile with like it could go either way. You don't know if they're just gonna like be like, oh if somebody played a joke on me, or if they they take it personally. Like my daughter at that age was still having a like figuring out humor and so would take things personally that weren't meant to be personal because you're just your brain is starting to compute the world and how people joke. Anyway, Sorry, long story boring. I get this bar of soap and it's my responsibility to shove it into the kid's mouth, and I'm like, here, eat this, and we shove it in his mouth and he does. You know, he has to sit there for a moment with it in his mouth and they're getting the straight shot of him. I'm holding it and then when he takes it out and it ended up in the show where he goes, let's see what I say is nasty, it's yucky. He's like, eh, eh, that reaction with the real bar so and we all start laughing and he's like what what. We're like, we switched it out. It's a real bar so, you know, and it was supposed to be really fun, and he just did not compute the idea of a practical joke and just burst into tears, ran off the set, you know, went into his mom's arms, and she felt horrible because you know, she took the gamble. She was like, oh, let's see I felt I felt so bad. I could not believe I made that kid cry.
Speaker 1: How does it.
Speaker 5: Feel joy knowing that sometime in the future that sweet boy is going to be a man in therapy talking about this very experience of you deceiving him.
Speaker 2: It does not feel good, Robert, it doesn't feel good.
Speaker 1: I remember during the tomato fight. I remember that was like really stressful for me because I'm not an athlete I think is the word that they say, athletic person. And they would be like, hey, we need you to throw this and hit Jamie like right in the head with this tomato, and it would and I would throw the tomato and it would hit like two feet to the right, and I would be like, you, guys, should really get someone that's like an athlete to do this because I'm not. This isn't remember when I played the piano and Normone was like, wow, how do you do that? That's how I feel when people throw that. And there were some like there was like one particularly humiliating moment where it was like the an it's like the last shot we're getting. I don't know if you remember this. We're all standing there and he has this, you know, he's got his gear on. He's there it's like his hero shot where he's going to take it right in the chest and then die. And they're like, you just need to throw this right in that little kid's chest. And I'm like maybe four feet away, like I'm like as close as I can get with being out of cap out of shot, and I'm like, yeah, I got this, and they're like action and I throw it and hit him in the knee. Cap are like no, the reset reset like action and I throw it. I hit him in like the you know, shoulder or something, and they're like, nope, we got to redo it.
Speaker 2: And you're off camera.
Speaker 1: At this point, I'm off camera.
Speaker 2: Why didn't they just have James do it exactly?
Speaker 1: And they made We did it so many times and I'm having a mental breakdown. I feel like Jackson with the bar of soap in my mouth and I'm like, I'm not an athlete. And then finally our boss was like, I'll actually, I'll just throw it. It's fine, and I was like, Okay, we could have done this from shot one. There's no reason for me to be here. Then he hit him and like the first time, but yeah, there was always moments like that. There's a great line in that scene when you walk in joy you say to Grubs and James, or you know, to Grubs and Nathan, you say, what kind of grown men stand around throwing tomatoes at a seven year old? And there's a beat and he goes, you want to throw one, don't you? And you say, yes, I do.
Speaker 2: It's fun. That's really fun.
Speaker 1: After the after seeing everyone's sitting there covered in tomatoes as well, and there's I don't know if you know I'm behind it's actually the second time they do a behind shot gag, Like there's the one where Buckley you're talking on your phone and then behind you Chantelle's feeding the cow. Like that was when this was the second one like that where you guys are all sitting there covered in tomatoes, kind of like living in the joy of that fight. And I walk behind you guys, and I'm drinking a bloody Mary and I picked a piece of tomato off of my shirt, put it in the bloody Mary, and then continue to drink it.
Speaker 2: And what I did not notice that I must have been looking.
Speaker 1: Down a little easter egg for you guys.
Speaker 2: Was that your idea was that where you directed to do that, or was it like, let's just let me. Let me I got an idea, let me jump in.
Speaker 1: I'm I'm pretty sure I was directed to do that. I can't imagine that. I I can't imagine I would be so bold as to say I got a funny joke that it'd be like cool. The other old I should tell you, guys, the other outstanding moment of athleticism that happened on this show so for me, was at the scene where Chancel does the dance in the gymnasium. I don't know if you remember this, Buckley. This was a scarring moment for me in life in general. So I went to set that day because my friends, the Frasers were there and my manager, and they basically worked them all into the shot. So if you see right when Chantelle is getting ready to go to the dance, this woman's stay inside her You young girl turns in, She's like, you're up or whatever. That is friend of a friend of the show, Shelby Fraser, who would come hang out and her mom, Debbie Fraser, is one of the judges and the other judge is my old manager, west Arhuva. So when they showed the managers there, so I went to hang out with them on set. There's a time where there's a break. Mind you bleachers full of people, all these people me on the show, full of athletes. I'm basically like a lifelong music nerd, never able to do any kind of sports stuff. Terrified on the show because all of the actors on the show are basically like the alpha versions of the guys that used to pick on me, you know what I mean, Like the guys that would shove me into a locker. The actors on this show are the guys that would shove them into a locker, you know what I mean. These are like the biggest best dudes, you know what I mean. And they're all being nice to me and I don't know why. And so we are all ut set and we're all hanging out and everyone's like, start shooting basketballs. And it's like it's a basketball show, you know what I mean. So everyone's shooting basketballs. Some basketball bounces to me. I'm wearing no it's literally terrified, but I'm like I can do this. I'm wearing this very hipster coat that's like very tight fitting, and I go to shoot the basketball and my coat won't allow my arms to finish the motion. And so I go to shoot the ball, arms freeze like halfway through. The ball flies like two feet into the air and then falls down, and everybody stopped what they were doing the entire like. It was like they were like quiet on set, quiet on set. Michael did something stupid quite on set and everyone and I was like, it's my coat. It's my coat's too tight. I can't shoot because of my coat. It's pretty awesome. So anyway, that's my my athleticism story from the show.
Speaker 2: Thank you for Oh I wish I'd been there that day in the gym that would have been It looks like a fun day.
Speaker 5: It was. It was a fun day. Uh, you know, watching Chantel be silly the line I have the the the line out on that scene sucks to be next.
Speaker 1: It was just an ad lib.
Speaker 2: Yes, I was wondering actually because that's just that just seems like you.
Speaker 5: Yeah, because I remember just watching her thinking like dude, I I, I and Clay need to cheer her on so hard, and so I was just going for it. I think on the last take yet that's my scream sucks to be next or whatever. Yeah, and then it made it.
Speaker 2: In Yeah, and then Clay saves the day comes in again. They're having this super formal signing in the living room at Haley getting stressed up for I guess you know, and and here comes Clay and Quinn. But I have to tell you I got emotional. I really it was. It was beautifully done. The revelation of all the things that he had done, and the way that he had put all the pieces together and saved the day and kept them. And then he's they're going to stay in Charlotte. Oh my gosh. It was so exciting.
Speaker 5: I love that he pieced the puzzles together. This was another one of those moments where I found myself going or doing We're doing too much guys. Like, first of all, it's a why would the agents be in your home at night time to sign a deal? Again? Do these guys work around the corner? Why are they always in your house?
Speaker 2: At least they weren't standing this time, right.
Speaker 5: But what killed me was it's like again formal meeting in your house for some reason that even your child is in attendance for. Yeah, and then as like it's a good deal, Nathan. You hear the slow clap from off camera and Clay walks in, and I just found myself going, this is already such a great moment. You don't need to build in a cheesy device like this, Like it just felt so stage to me. Like, first of all, the front door's in the shot, So the only thing that makes sense to me is maybe we pulled up and I said, that's the agent's car, and Quinn said, let's go in the side door. Don't know why, but otherwise you would have seen us walk in.
Speaker 2: But also if you knew he was there to sign it, you would have tried to get there and like stop it, get in there and not yes, let him sign. So the fact that you're slowly sauntering in, yes, that's so dumb. They made you do that.
Speaker 1: Also, you're fairly estranged at this point, right, you just into his house unannounced, Like that's another boundary issue that we have from the show.
Speaker 5: Like there's so many Oh buddy, this is I was saying last week, if if there had been a therapist character on the show, it would have been such a Lorraine Brocco. It would have been incredible, But it would have been so much more effective if like y'all were just sitting around having dinner and just Clay, and Clay walked in, you know, absolutely, and so there wasn't any performative aspect to it.
Speaker 2: Why do the agents have to be there for that scene? Because what he's getting one over on the agents? Like ha ha, who cares about them? We don't even know them, we don't follow their storyline, Like who gives The only people I care about in this scene are you and Quinn and Nathan and Haley, Like that's what's going on.
Speaker 5: And the to me, this was another choice where I went like what are you doing? When they actually have a moment, Whereas I'm like, I have the great deal. I saved the day and the agent's other agents abviously realize we've lost this one. As they're walking out, they do a special shot of the agent over my shoulder and I turn around and he turns around back to me and nods at me, like good one kid. It was like I just professed my love to this character. I just saved my friend's career, and this is the moment we want, we want to.
Speaker 2: Spend time here. Yeah. I think our boss just really had a pensiance for revenge, like he really enjoyed it in all different forms, And so I think that was It just seeped in in random places like that.
Speaker 5: He wrote and directed this episode, and this episode it was funny. There's a there's a quote in it that I had to stop the show and just say to Jenny out loud. I was like, you're not gonna just said no. This was Julian when he says, I'm mad at you. You know what happens when you die, Alex, You're dead, That's what happens. I said that. I go, Jenny, this was This was an unroonic line in the show. And she says it sounds like it was written by someone who was really feeling themselves. And I went, that's wildly appropriate.
Speaker 1: Actually, honey, nothing as far as like strong lines go, nothing beats the Millie. Ever. Whenever I see that mirror, all I want to do is cut up a line of coke on it that way.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, no, no, she said what I want to do. I just want to cut a line and snort it. Oh, she had to say those words out loud.
Speaker 5: And mind you grubbs, because just a little backstory, she's been she's been a model for two weeks. This is the most expedited tale of drug addiction that you've ever seen, and so the fact this has been ever since it started, this has been the thing I have just railed on every single episode of this podcast because I just can't. Lisa is so good and this story is so garbage the way it's done. And this episode when she says this presumably thirty year old person who's been doing coke for two weeks can't look at a mirror at that loan to snore a line off it, Yeah, and then she sneaks out of rehab like she can't hack it. It was just she's so good and I just watch it, going, oh, you deserve so much better, Lisa Goldstein.
Speaker 2: I think, honestly, that's probably why nobody fought back the scene where they walk you were talking about where they walk in and they're sitting in the blood. I think Lisa and Lee were both exhausted from the absurdity of this storyline and having to just deal with it on a regular basis. That that just seemed to me like two actors that walked in the room and the director told them what to do, and they were like, really can't we you know what, never mind, just tell us where to be. We'll just do it. Let's get it over with.
Speaker 1: I have a quick side step and then I have a question. Really quickly. Side step is one to go back to the house for one seconds. I don't want to leave this, I was saying this. I was just so happy that you got there alive, luckily, because I was sure when a French cinema has taught me anything. When a young couple that is falling in love drives around in a car like that, so many scenes in the car, that car is going off the road. There's no way we're making it that house in one piece. And when you made it there, I was like, that is brave to go against cinematic trope at that level. That and the other thing when you're at the house when she I love the moment when he says this is a good deal. It's going to be seven million dollars. I see, Joy. You go there all right like that. Then you come in here like how about fifteen million dollars and Joy's like all right, Like so you make this whole face like okay, we'll take the fifteen Like it was just like yeah, such the little in your face like I'm rich Like it was. It was awesome. I loved your b.
Speaker 2: To be talking about it in front of the kid.
Speaker 1: Too, Like, but so this, so this takes me back. Now I'll return to our previous discussion. I'm sorry I had to take us away for it, but that I had to do. I had to say those things. When did you got what was your biggest moment where you got a script and there was a line in it and you were like no way, Like did you get Like was there a moment where you had like a line that you were like, I don't know how I pulled this.
Speaker 2: I just always changed them.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I was scared to do that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it pissed people off for sure, but I was like, this is stupid. I'm not going to say I probably skipped over some lines that maybe could have worked well because I was a little cocky about it. But yeah, a lot of times I just was like, yeah.
Speaker 5: No, I don't remember any specific lines, but I had some story stuff where I just kind of went, what, yeah, what are we doing?
Speaker 1: Really? I just remember like getting the scripts and just thinking like they're they're just telling me what I'm going to do. Like that's a there's a wild level of trust with like you and your in the character and they and luckily I feel like I was. This has been kind of like discussed around with me and some of other folks. I feel like when I was cast on the show, I was the character version of the Boss, like he basically wrote me to He was writing himself into the show in his mind. He made me this like lovable guy that everyone comes to for advice or whatever, and it set me up and they were always really nice to me. But I can't tell you how many times I thought like they could easily have made me someone who like can't even go to the store to get groceries without someone being like, you're bad. You know, Like if I think about like like Jeffrey from Jeffrey from like Game of Thrones, and it's like, man, that's gonna be tough walking around that all the time. Anyway, Sorry, a bit of a bit of a side step.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean there's there's so many different ways that things could go, which is why when storylines like this Millie and Alex thing kind of gets through and slips through the cracks, you're just like hat or Robert, what you're talking about, where you're reading storylines going, why are we you know, the one that's coming up with the look alike and all that. That's one of those ones You're just like, what are what are we doing? Why are we running out of ideas? There's so many of them.
Speaker 5: The fact that we actually did the soap opera thing of hiring back the same actress Amanda Schule to play a different random girl who just looks like my wife and becomes fatally obsessed with me. The fact that that isn't the craziest storyline that Clay has tells you something.
Speaker 2: It sure does mid Shure does.
Speaker 5: We were like the classier or more bougie version of do you remember that show Passions?
Speaker 2: Of course I remember Passion like Witches.
Speaker 5: And like it was queer.
Speaker 2: People loved it, they did.
Speaker 5: I thought that Janna and Austin did well, did very well. They did as well as you could have with that material. Yeah, but I just thought, and there was a couple like when Dan's giving a great speech, the fact they added in the gunshot sound when he's talking about Keith dying.
Speaker 2: Paul committed to that so hard because he was like, I want you to kneel down and like say goodbye to your brother down in the ground. It's like me, man, all right, okay, I'll make it work.
Speaker 5: I mean, and they made such a meal of it. And then when uh or yeah, when Julian holds Alex's hand, the fact that at that very moment, Brooke walks up and that's what she sees, and it.
Speaker 2: Was just, yeah, it's heavy handed, very it's too much. I really this the sort of pat answer of Julie Brooke helping Julian realize that he's trying to save his mom by saving all these girls. I think it's a very real issue that people struggle with. I think it's actually one of the most common things in relationships that we are constantly trying to work out childhood things on the people that we're with. So we're trying to save our mom or make a have a good relationship with our dad or whatever, and then we pick people that are going to make that difficult so that we can resolve the issue. And then you know, Freud tells us, hey, now you've fixed it. I mean, it's it's pretty textbook. However, the answer that he gives her, I can't remember the very last quote that he says there, but but her not having a response, it was something about like if I can Oh, he says something about if I can help her, maybe I can help her before her light goes out, before it's too late or something.
Speaker 5: Before her fire goes out. And even if it doesn't, at least I try.
Speaker 2: Thank you, and Brooke doesn't respond, and I keep thinking, why are you not saying I'm the one you're dating, worry about my fire, put my fire out? I mean, help me keep my fire going or whatever, like this is not This is not healthy. So the fact that she recognized it but then wasn't willing to call him on it, I thought was really strange. But maybe that's coming up. Maybe they're just setting it up for the next episode.
Speaker 5: So for an episode where every scene was trying to just do the most, it was odd that the last scene, this random dude walks into close over bros. My first thought was boring entrance. I thought, Holy, does she get assaulted again?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 5: And then okay, because his vibe is weird Yeah, And then it's not and he's just like, I'm the new designer that said Victoria hired and she's like oh, And it cuts to black, so I'm thinking it's fizzile there wasn't even a vibeer were trying to introduce a new potential suitor, because if so, that was the That was the worst first encounter. Like for an episode where every single scene was a ten, they randomly chose a thirty second scene that was a four.
Speaker 2: It's just so dumb. It was so dumb. Why would they not get into a fender bender when he's pulling up outside and start screaming at each other and then she's like, who the hell are you? Anyway while I'm your new designer? Okay, interesting, I don't know if she's closing up the store and he's stumbling in and I mean it's an dark and he's like, I'm trying to find the light. Victoria told me to come in. Who the hell are you? I'm your new design like something. He just walks in the door. Anything.
Speaker 5: Have him being charming, have him maybe I think Brooke is anything like it's not a time, but he brought coffee, Like.
Speaker 2: Walk in eating a bowl of spaghetti and I would be interested.
Speaker 5: Anything would have been good.
Speaker 1: He just looks at the camera and he's like, I'm handsome.
Speaker 5: That was the Seriously, my note is just jawline in an accent. Yeah, no disrespect to those actors. Handsome, but I just thought it was sort of like they thought he was just so good looking that they were like, we don't need to put anything on this handsome hot dog. It's a perfect plain. It's like, no, give him some dialogue something.
Speaker 1: Bitch is his name? It's super sweet guy, super sweet Mitch. Yeah, Aussie stud.
Speaker 5: This show really has done, at least since I've started watching, has done a really good job of sticking the landing with introlling new characters, except so far, on this one, it felt like an actual afterthought. It felt like this should be the first scene of the next episode, but they were like forty seconds short, and they took like the forty seconds off the top of that scene and just put to the end of this episode.
Speaker 2: That's funny.
Speaker 5: We're so good.
Speaker 2: I wonder if they did. Wait, Mike, are you still in touch with him? With Mitch? You guys still friends?
Speaker 1: No, I think we became Facebook friends on that time, and then his name comes up because we're Facebook friends. We haven't really had interaction or whatever.
Speaker 2: So, but you stayed in touch with a lot of people on the show. I mean you, you and Kate Vogel are in a band now, Your Future Ghost, which I want to hear all about. Can you tell us about that? And also I want to hear about everyone's doing great your show that you're scoring with James Lafferty or James's show.
Speaker 1: Thank you for asking about these things. They are so important to me.
Speaker 5: That's all the time we have folks. Thanks for joining us. I'm talking about it. Yes.
Speaker 1: So, Kate and I started writing together during the pandemic and we were writing over Zoom a lot, and suddenly it was like, hey, this is really cool. And Kate and I were always buds, but we never had like deep deep budded down like you know, like band style, and suddenly we found we're riding together and we're like, this is really good stuff. And it suddenly it was like, hey, let's release the song together. And then it began like, hey, why don't we do a couple of songs? And then we're like, this doesn't really feel like my music, doesn't feel like your music. This feels like our music. And then it grew and grew and grew, and now we are a band called Your Future Ghost, and it's the coolest music anyone who's ever made in the world and yeah, we actually just had it crazy. We filmed a music video in the desert, and I mean, hindsight kind of scary at the time. Like Kate literally ended up in the emergency room. She got she got what they called water intoxication. She drank too much water, right, she drank too much water and ended up in the hospital with an IV and I couldn't talk. It was wild. She's fine now and we just from the rest of that. Yeah, there, it's true.
Speaker 5: Typically only happens in people doing like ultra marathons and marathons, they overhydrate and that's Kate. She rocks so hard.
Speaker 1: She rocks so hard.
Speaker 5: That's so hard, she rocks.
Speaker 1: She uh yeah, but she's good. And we just don't finished filming that. And so we have another We have another single coming out soon. So if fans at home, you can go to our Instagram your Future Ghosts and you can find out more about that. There's going to be a link there to get news about our upcoming single, like a pre save please do it. So James and Steven, James Laferna and Stephen Clettie made this wonnerful show called Everyone's Doing Great I did the score for the first season and then came one for the second season to do the score again, and it just keeps getting better and betterssed so so much fun. It's the best thing in the world.
Speaker 2: It's such a good score. By the way, Mike, I mean, it really gives the show so much character. I feel like, in the same way that the town was the character in One Tree Hill, it was its own character. Your music has created that environment for everyone's doing great. It's it's it's just grounding, sophisticated, interesting, complex, but it makes the goofy comedy really work. And the sarcasm. I mean, it's great, it's great.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much. I mean, it's my dream to, like my if I got to pick a career, I would score Stilman TV and movies and stuff. It's my favorite thing I do. And yeah, and these guys have been awesome.
Speaker 5: I also want to say before we hop off the episode that Miss Lauren and Skills were so sweet and I wish we had a lot more of them.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that whole thing where she was where she says, you didn't even ask me, and he's like, oh my gosh, I'm so sorry. You have come and she says no, but it's nice to be asked. Oh yeah, it's so sweet.
Speaker 2: I love her.
Speaker 5: I miss She's so good. She's so good and the two of them together are great. Always want more of them.
Speaker 2: Ashley wants to know the question is for whenever you get grubs on the podcast, A Ashley, it's your lucky day. Okay, me, Sof and Rob are sitting down at your bar, what is our drink of choice?
Speaker 1: Oh? Man, First off, I'm gonna I'm gonna have to double the security at the bar because I got three super bids sitting down at my bar. Whoa crowd control? Crowd control is gonna be of essence for you three guys. I feel like, for for So, For Soph, I'm thinking something like, I feel like she's always very on trend and very aware of like what's going on. She's very like like amazing, uh at, She's always just like the coolest And I feel like, right now, I see a lot of espressal Mark teenies, Yeah, she's with the times. I see a lot of Espresso Martinez around. I think i'd make her something espresso based that would be like an up cocktail. It would be sophisticated. It would style, Yeah, a little vodka a little bit like like and but it chilled up drink that she could have that would then I think, Joy, I think for you, we're looking at and I don't know because I've seen you backstage have different drinks, So this is this is just a single drink moment. I don't know if this is like for your forever cocktail, but I would love to make you something very sophisticated with gin and a coup that would be like almost gone in like four SIPs kind of thing. Maybe top it with a little shampers, you know what I mean, like.
Speaker 2: A little Bee's knees or like an aviation or something.
Speaker 1: Oh totally exactly. That's what I'm talking. A little French seventy five energy, you know what I mean, like something that's like, uh, that sizzles, but also that goes with your outfit.
Speaker 2: Wow, you nailed it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and Buckley, I'm thinking for you, I wanted to be a little more on the healthy side, you know what I mean. I'm seeing I'm seeing something that's going to be like like soda based, you know, like there's gonna be a lot of like really good bubbles in there. We're gonna get some some herb, some herbal kind of things going on in there, and then uh, maybe something really just really fresh. I wanted to just feel fresh and healthy. I want in a tall glass that's got lots of ice in it, and I wanted just to feel like, like, you know, like this is this is Buckley, Like it's a sexy it's a sexy tallboy drink.
Speaker 5: Dude. That's actually because I'm a soda water guy. So if you throw some soda water, you muddle up a little herb or food in their power. Do you actually have a gift grubs?
Speaker 2: This is cool. You got to use this. I feel like this is like Joey on Friends when he finds his hand twin and he goes to Vegas and he's like, we got to do something with this. I don't know what you're gonna do with this, but this is a real skill.
Speaker 1: I mean that's just say I'm good at parties, guys, I'm good at parties.
Speaker 5: If you're not doing this when you do shows, you are wasting. What you should do is offer an experience where people can pay to meet you after the show, and you guess their drink wow, and then maybe you have a bar there to make it for him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they also make it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I'll just write down what they should order at the next bar that they go to. Like it, like be like, this is what need to drink, this is what you need to have.
Speaker 5: Great. So we do a thing every episode where we pick an honorable mention from each episode. My honorable mention is it's Chantel dancing. Oh, yes, that's just that was team player to the core right there. Yes, she had to do a lot of that on this show actually, but this was the first one.
Speaker 2: I'll give it to Chantell Trying to feed the cow behind you. That just was my favorite.
Speaker 5: It was so hysterical, which, by the way, that was scripted that she goes to feed the cow and the cow chases her, and the cow was not chasing her at all. So what you see is she's just she's just making it work as best she can. The cow stays perfectly still, and she still runs away even though the cow has done nothing. That's her just really committing to the bit. So good grubs. How about you?
Speaker 1: I love the you flipping the phone into the pool at the top Bucks. Oh, I love that I think also though, I really I always appreciate anytime that India is on screen. India played Miranda, my love interest on the show India the Before, and she is such a rock star. And the moment where she comes in and suddenly I can't actually guess her drink.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, oh that's so good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then it's like I can guess everyone's drink but hers, because it's like, what's going on with these two?
Speaker 2: And you show up with all the bottles in your arms, Yeah, tell me what do you want?
Speaker 1: And she just takes one, pours herself a shadow with you, and then like hands it back, right.
Speaker 5: You see, that is a that's a perfect example of how you introduce chemistry. Yes, like that was so effective. I thought the same thing. I'm like, oh, she's his kryptonite and he's flustered for the first time ever. There's something here Like that was a great use of showing there's something to start, whereas like the scene at the end with Brook and the guy, there's literally nothing except going.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, all right, Like he's not a bad guy, right, he's to do anything bad? Right? Yeah?
Speaker 5: Yeah, truly?
Speaker 2: Okay, Yeah, I love it. Well, it's been a wheel, folks. Yeah, I hope we find out that Dan did go to Guatemala or too gosh, Chile or something really cool.
Speaker 1: GRIBs, go ahead and read it most likely to skydive out of a hot air balloon.
Speaker 2: That feels like it would be very stupid, because don't you have to be up much higher to skydive and get the velocity that you need for safe landing.
Speaker 5: I think it's around thirteen thousand feet?
Speaker 2: Is it the same? Do they go up the same height?
Speaker 1: That's a guy fact, Rob, The fact you dropped thirteen thousand feet just like that, that's a guy fact. That's like knowing what the population of Australia is just out of your Yeah.
Speaker 5: Listen, I've done it once. And when they open up a giant door on the plane and they say we're thirteen thousand feet, we're gonna fall out. Now you remember that moment?
Speaker 1: Yes, you do? Oh my god?
Speaker 5: I would I mean Alex because she's just an absolute wild card. I think if Julian said I'd like you to go skydiving, she would say.
Speaker 2: Absolutely yes, out of time.
Speaker 5: I don't even need a parachute, Julian, you tell me to do it, I'll do it.
Speaker 2: I'll jump. I would go. I would go skydiving out of a hot air balloon only for one reason, if the hot air balloon was going down and I needed a way out.
Speaker 5: And you were just that prepared.
Speaker 2: Well, do you know? I actually was dating somebody at one point who was like, tried to wakem up really early and was like, I got a surprise. I'm going to take you in a hot air balloon. And I was like, oh my gosh, there's a there's a parachute in it, right? He was like, no, no, I'm like, oh, I'm not going in a hundred ballion with had a parachute. There's just there's no way. I'm a single mother. I can't die.
Speaker 5: I love the idea. The picture of you still on the pillow, Oh my god, that's so sweet. Is there a parachute? No, okay, I'm not going and you just roll back over. He's like, oh, oh.
Speaker 2: I'll cancel that. Then they're outside, but no problem.
Speaker 1: Can you get your hope you can get your money back, right, honey? All right? Yeah? I could see mouth jumping out and it would be to save like a kitten or something, because he's such a sweet guy. He'd be like, I'm I see something in danger down there. I'm gonna go see He's such a good guy, that's what I see.
Speaker 5: But seriously, Grubbs, thank you for joining us today because, A it's so good just to see your face, buddy, it's been so long, and it's really just so lovely to catch up with you. You look great. I'm glad you're doing great. This was awesome.
Speaker 1: Thank you right back at you guys. You guys are such I mean, like literally total rockstars, and it's so great to get to chat with you guys for an hour. It makes me feel just so full of joy and so grateful to be here and be part of this amazing thing you guys have felt so Thank you so much for having me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we can't wait to keep tabs on what you're doing too. I'm gonna go, everybody, go check out your future ghost and go watch. Everyone is doing great and you're gonna be able to keep up with Michael Grubbs. Next episode, Season seven, episode thirteen. Weeks go by like days. I wonder what will happen next. Bye, everybody, Bye, Hey, thanks for listening. Don't forget to leave us a review.
Speaker 3: You can also follow us on Instagram at Drama Queen's Oth.
Speaker 2: Or email us at Drama Queens at iHeartRadio dot com. See you next time we all about that high school drama. Girl Drama Girl, all about them.
Speaker 3: High school queens. We'll take you for a ride at our comic Girl sharing for the right Drama Queens Draise my Girl.
Speaker 2: Up girl fashion with your tough girl
Speaker 4: You could sit with us Girl Drama Queens, Drama Queise, Drama Queens Drama Drama Queens Drama Queens