Speaker 1: Hey, what's up, y'all? This is Questlove. Get ready to check out an episode of Historical Records executive produced by myself and the story pirates. It's an explosive fusion of hip hop and history, tailor made for music loving kids and families. You're that correctly something the entire family can listen to and enjoy together. In this episode, host Nemony creates a hip hop track about the civil rights activist Claudette Covid, who, as a teenager, refused to give up her seat on an Alabama city bus months before Rosa Park's famous protest. Get your kids, sit back and enjoy Historical Records, the show that proves that in order to make history, you have to make some noise.
Speaker 2: Hello, listeners, it's me Nemony. I'm here in my top secret underground bunker.
Speaker 3: As usual, I'm with my team of sound engineer Raccoons, Tina.
Speaker 2: Don't be rude.
Speaker 3: Hello, Now follow me everyone, and justin heads up. I want very quickly. Some say that the way I walk is nearly running, but we have no time to waste because today's historical figure is Clawet Colvin. Luckily, the conditions for historical research are perfect. It's a beautiful day inside my top secret underground bunker. It might even be a beautiful day outside my top secret underground bunker. To be honest, I wouldn't know.
Speaker 2: I haven't been outside in a Week's what, Tua?
Speaker 4: That's crazy?
Speaker 2: You want me to go outside right now?
Speaker 5: Why would I do that?
Speaker 2: Whoa Tina?
Speaker 4: When you're right? You're right, Going outside.
Speaker 3: Is critical for my mental health. We have a lot to do, but I should take a quick moment to look outside and feel the sun on my face. Okay, I'll just peek out this emergency exit.
Speaker 2: And why did I do that?
Speaker 5: It's Historical Records.
Speaker 2: You are now listening to Historical We're to make history. You got to have struggles to make history. You got to show poised.
Speaker 3: Cannot be quiet loud as the riot to make history, you gotta.
Speaker 6: Make some noise.
Speaker 3: Listeners, welcome back to Historical Records, where we conduct highly experimental experiments combining history and hip hop. Today's episode is about the trailblazing civil rights activist CLAUW Deck Covin.
Speaker 2: Also, I just tripped the alarm. The alarm has been tripped there maybe and intruder. No, no, no, there's no intrudery. It was me.
Speaker 6: I cannot thank your word.
Speaker 2: Worry, I'll come on disembodied robot BOYD.
Speaker 3: Three that might come in one minute, or the authority will be old.
Speaker 2: Oh no, I hate bureaucracy. Also one meant that's not a lot of wiggle room.
Speaker 4: And I don't even know where to turn off the securities and stuff. Tina, why don't we got it down? Wait?
Speaker 3: We have a security center I passed yesterday. That must be where we have to turn this thing off. If I'm remembering correctly, it's directly below us, about forty stories down. Come on, raccoons, we'll take the stairs. Ah, you're right, we won't get there fast enough. Brilliant idea, Tina. We'll jump down the garbage chute and it'll take us straight there. Raccoon, you go first, now to fold myself in half and fit into the garbage suit.
Speaker 2: I'm really oh my lord, oh soft.
Speaker 4: Oh that's nice, Tina? How nice is this?
Speaker 2: Am? I? Right? Okay, no time, we got to turn this thing off.
Speaker 7: You have.
Speaker 3: All right, Let's open up the breaker and see what where were you with? Oh no, that is a lot of plugs and wires.
Speaker 8: Recommendation, do not run the wrong wire.
Speaker 4: Not good, Tina, Any ideas I got you? Honey, Mama? What are you doing here?
Speaker 8: Well, sweetie, for one, I thought I helped you turn off the alarm.
Speaker 5: Trust me, you do not want to deal with all that paperwork.
Speaker 4: You're right about that.
Speaker 5: I just got to pull out the right plug.
Speaker 3: I did not see this coming, Mama. You sure you know which wants to pull.
Speaker 5: It's this one, I think.
Speaker 6: Shut down?
Speaker 4: You did it?
Speaker 5: Now, give me a second. I gotta boot it back up. We don't want any in just getting in here.
Speaker 3: Systems intuders don't stand a can.
Speaker 4: How in the world did you know how to do that?
Speaker 5: Honey?
Speaker 8: I set up the whole security system. You did, Yes, you hit a lot on your plate at the time.
Speaker 3: Okay, I want to hear way more about that, but right now I'm running a little behind, and I have to track down one of my historians. Of course, I'll see you later, okay, Mom, Bye, Honey.
Speaker 4: I'm proud of you.
Speaker 2: Listeners, keep up with me. We're walk running to the library, and while we're on the move, I need to level with you.
Speaker 3: The good news is that I have a truly sick be lined up for today. The slightly less good news is that I really do not know much about today's historical figure. I mean, I know Claudette Covin was a part of the civil rights movement, fighting for equal rights for black people in America, but.
Speaker 4: Obviously I need more than that.
Speaker 3: And here we are at the gigantic library.
Speaker 2: Gosh, I love it in here. So now we just need to find a lead so she can give us some historical help.
Speaker 3: That was a weird echo that sounded nothing like me anyway, like I was saying, because I don't have enough.
Speaker 2: Info right now. I guess you could say I'm stuck.
Speaker 4: I'm stuck.
Speaker 3: Okay, I can't be the only one hearing that bad echo that sounds nothing like my voice.
Speaker 4: Nimini, I'm not an echo. It's me Lee.
Speaker 7: I'm trapped under a giant book.
Speaker 4: WHOA look at the giant book. I'm coming one, two, three.
Speaker 2: You. Oh, that is much better, Lee. I know you like to bear your head in a book, but that was a bit much.
Speaker 7: It was actually really informative until the emotional weight of history and the actual weight of that huge book became too much. Anyway, are you ready to immerse yourself in history?
Speaker 2: As long as you know what I mean, trapping ourselves under that book.
Speaker 7: Absolutely well, then step into the history simulator.
Speaker 3: Lee, with respect, I wish the history simulator didn't look like a gooey alien pod.
Speaker 7: I'll consider that feedback for my next simulator.
Speaker 2: Okay, where are we hitting to see?
Speaker 7: A very brave young woman who refuses to give up her seat on the bus, Claudette Colvin.
Speaker 2: Wait wait, wait wait, I thought that was Rosa Parks.
Speaker 7: Rosa Parks refuse to give up her seat, But Claudette Colvin did it first.
Speaker 2: Well, it's a twist.
Speaker 4: I had no idea.
Speaker 2: You know what, before we.
Speaker 7: Go visit Claudette Colvin, let's bop around a bit, get the full context.
Speaker 2: I like it.
Speaker 7: Nineteen sixty four, Here we come.
Speaker 4: Whoo, Lee? Are we on a live TV set?
Speaker 2: You bet?
Speaker 4: We are?
Speaker 2: Oh cool? Look at those four dudes in suits.
Speaker 7: Those four dudes are the Beatles and this is their USA debut on the Ex Cullivan Show. There was so much exciting stuff at this time.
Speaker 3: Who you gotta warm me when we're taking off?
Speaker 2: Lee? Ah?
Speaker 4: So where are we now? What are all these buttons hoston?
Speaker 7: We are a gover, Lee, I'm on a spaceship not just any spaceship, the first one to ever land on the moon.
Speaker 9: Actually Houston over about a second, it seems a weird alien pond just appeared on our spaceship.
Speaker 7: Uh, whoopspeed, gotta go, Niminy. We're taking off to March twenty fifth, nineteen sixty five.
Speaker 5: Lee.
Speaker 4: This crowd we're in is huge.
Speaker 3: There must be twenty five thousand people and we appear to be marching toward that official looking building.
Speaker 7: Incredible, guest, Nimini, there are twenty five thousand people and that building is the Alabama State Capitol in Montgomery.
Speaker 8: Hm.
Speaker 2: Why do I feel like we're witnessing one of the biggest moments of activism in the civil rights movement?
Speaker 4: Because we are.
Speaker 7: You see, four days ago, about three thousand people had gathered in Selma, Alabama, fifty four miles away and began the march to the capitol.
Speaker 4: That's a law march.
Speaker 2: And you're saying most of this crowd joined the march along the way. Yeah.
Speaker 7: For four days people came out all along the march route, dressed in their Sunday best, to sit on their porches and wave at the marchers, cheering with support and admiration and At each town, more marchers of all ages join the group, waving American flags and making front page headlines in the newspapers.
Speaker 2: And once this huge crowd gets to the capitol, what do they do.
Speaker 7: They're going to deliver a petition signed by black voters demanding an end to discriminatory voting registration practices.
Speaker 3: Wait, so you mean to tell me that even though black people have the right to vote in nineteen sixty four, some people would still try to stop them from voting.
Speaker 7: Exactly, Many states would use racist strategies like intentionally confusing and misleading literacy tests to prevent black voters from successfully registering.
Speaker 4: That's horrible, it was.
Speaker 7: Which is why activists were organizing and fighting to draw attention to their cause.
Speaker 2: And luckily this march did just that.
Speaker 7: It did, but even that was a struggle. The first two times they attempted a march to Montgomery, they were met with violent resistance from Heckler's and state police. Awful images broadcast on black and white TVs shocked people in households across the country, and even motivated the President to provide US Army troops and the Alabama National Guard to protect the marchers On their third attempt.
Speaker 2: It sounds like it took so much organizing and fighting.
Speaker 4: Is that Martin.
Speaker 2: Luther King Junior giving a speech?
Speaker 4: Indeed it is, Oh.
Speaker 2: I know this parts, oh, and it gives me chills every time.
Speaker 4: This is where doctor King says, I come to.
Speaker 3: Say to you this afternoon, however difficult the moment, however frustrate, in the hour, It will not be long.
Speaker 2: Because truth crust to earth will rise again.
Speaker 4: How long? Not long?
Speaker 2: Because no lie I can live forever.
Speaker 4: How long?
Speaker 2: Not long? Because you shall reap what you sew? How long?
Speaker 4: Not long?
Speaker 3: Because the arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice.
Speaker 2: Flown Emony, You really know that speech?
Speaker 4: Absolutely, I have the whole thing memorized. But where does Claudette Covin come into this?
Speaker 3: And now did a southern city Liketgomery, Alabama become.
Speaker 2: The center for the civil rights movement? Phenomenal questions.
Speaker 7: Let's stay in Montgomery, but go back a little further and take a look.
Speaker 3: I know where we are, but I don't know when we are. And why are black and white people drinking from different water fountains over there?
Speaker 7: It's nineteen fifty five, ten years before the Voting Rights March. A time when people were separated by the color of their skin. This is called segregation, and according to a set of laws called Jim Crow Laws that have been around since the end of the Civil War, it's legal. That's about one hundred years of laws invented to make life harder for Black Americans. There are separate drinking fountains, elevators, hospitals, bathrooms and breakrooms, swimming pools, churches, lunch counters.
Speaker 4: The list goes on and on.
Speaker 3: And buses. Black Americans were forced to sit in the back of buses.
Speaker 7: And in Montgomery, forty thousand black residents ride the buses. That's seventy five percent of the total riders in the city. And yet they are legally forced to enter through the overcrowded back door of the bus, sit in the back seats, and give up their seats for any white passengers who want to sit down.
Speaker 3: But if we're in nineteen fifty five, didn't the federal government at least order schools to be integrated in nineteen fifty four everyone should be allowed to go to school together.
Speaker 7: Right, Absolutely, that's what the law said. But the reality in Montgomery and almost everywhere in the South is that some white people were still fighting to keep people apart, and the schools black children are forced to attend are almost always the least funded, with the poorest quality supplies, books, and classrooms.
Speaker 4: How are those kids supposed to learn?
Speaker 2: Luckily?
Speaker 7: There's an organization called the N DOUBLEACP, the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People. The branch here in Montgomery was the first in all of Alabama and was founded way back in nineteen thirteen.
Speaker 3: Cool I know about the NAACP. Their goal is to educate and organize folks in the community to fight back against segregation and other types of discrimination so that black people can get the respect and opportunities they deserve.
Speaker 7: Precisely and recognizing the needs of black children in Montgomery, the n DOUBLEACP started a youth group and guests who they put in charge of shaping young minds.
Speaker 2: Rosa Parks.
Speaker 7: That's right, And what's really wild is that the thing Rosa Parks is most famous for was actually done by a fifteen year old girl from her youth group, Claudet Covin.
Speaker 4: Ha haa bingo.
Speaker 2: Wow, it's all coming together.
Speaker 3: But Lee, why didn't Quadette Covin get to be as famous as Rosa Parks.
Speaker 7: Well, even though she was the first to do it, the movement knew that she was super young and had other things going on.
Speaker 4: Like being the kid.
Speaker 7: So the movement chose to set up Rosa Parks to be nationally recognized for protesting on a bus.
Speaker 2: I truly had no idea about all that behind the scenes stuff that made the civil rights movement possible.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Even though Rosa Parks famous protests seems spontaneous, everything was meticulously planned.
Speaker 4: Same with the.
Speaker 7: March to Montgomery. It took several tries and a ton of organization.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Lee. That was increas udibly helpful. I think I have enough information now for the song. Now will you take us back to my top secret bunker.
Speaker 2: Of course.
Speaker 3: We're back, yes, Oh and I'm late for a recording session, but luckily I brought my skateboard, helmet and he pads and am ready.
Speaker 4: To roll finally. Thank you.
Speaker 3: Okay, listeners, keep up, We are once again on the move, right down instead of stairs.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, still got it. And here we are.
Speaker 3: Oh look, the musicians are ready to go. Time to make another epic shining song for the ages. And this time Nemony's on the mic. Claudette, that's my name, Miss Alabama. Born and raised this Montgomery to be specific, hope you don't mind beat on the risk. Six zero nine zero five thirty nine the birth date of a future leader civil rights activistic catalysts to be Montgomery bus boycott again with.
Speaker 2: Me, Montgomery bus boycott. That is correct. A lot of people don't know about the juicy tid bit.
Speaker 3: Couldn't be the face of the movement because I wasn't.
Speaker 2: Ridging because of my complexion.
Speaker 3: I'm never in the press just thinking I was only fifteen, followed with my routine and a segregat of see. Years after that occur went. I couldn't find work, and I moved to New York and he got.
Speaker 2: In to nurse it.
Speaker 8: It began with me.
Speaker 2: Nine before Rosa.
Speaker 4: It was Claude Gorvin, and it began women. Did you know?
Speaker 6: Did you know I wouldn't give up my seat? Nine months before Rosa it was Claude Gorman.
Speaker 3: Let me start from the beginning. My dad left Mama's wallet was sim mean. See, I was born Claude Dede Austin. Then I went to live with my uncle and my aunt, and that's how I got the name. Calvin had a little sister e. I was the oh that lost her Napoli yog. God only knows my pain. I was so cyo logically strange looking to Washington High School. I started going there in ninety fifty two. I was in the city, a place I couldn't walk to, so ride in the bus is what I had to do. It was nineteen fifty five and they didn't give up my seed.
Speaker 4: They called the.
Speaker 2: Police and they arrested in me.
Speaker 3: But I had been learning about my ancestry and then the youth count up with ina a sea paint, so I said, I know my constritutional rights. There was an empty rubberside and me, so this isn't right. Jimmy Crosses, black skin said across from the white.
Speaker 2: We always got to be behind them.
Speaker 3: And this sudden I'm like, put me off the Plus, I didn't fight work bus. I didn't feel fear because I was young and tough. To put me in an adult fell with no phone call. But my friends went to find my mom.
Speaker 4: And it began with me.
Speaker 6: Nine before they was Clovin and it began with me.
Speaker 4: Did you know?
Speaker 2: Did you know I wouldn't give up my seat nine before.
Speaker 8: Vin.
Speaker 2: One year later, we had brought a versus Gail.
Speaker 3: I was one of five plaintifs talking about how the law had failed by the bust and we wasn't gonna take a fighter record. They made the decision in the Supreme Court. They made that decision that the bus deegregation.
Speaker 4: Was against the constitution and they ended it permanently. And to begin with me nine fours it was Covid and the beginning with me, did you know? Did you know I wouldn't give.
Speaker 6: Up the sea nine?
Speaker 2: That's my name? This Alabama borner, mind your mind zwer o'clock time again with me? Oh, I almost forgot.
Speaker 3: The city of Montgomery, Alabama declared Mark second Claudet Covid day.
Speaker 7: WHOA.
Speaker 4: That was incredible And while.
Speaker 3: The circumstances couldn't be more different, it's really got me thinking about my own life.
Speaker 2: Funny how history can inform the present. Holl listeners, Hey, Jena, do you know where my mom is?
Speaker 9: Look at Ah?
Speaker 2: Of course the personal history room. Where else would she be?
Speaker 10: Eh?
Speaker 3: Yes, Tina, I know we have an interview lined up in five minutes, but I've got to do something first.
Speaker 4: Now, do you mind if I borrow your scooter? Thanks?
Speaker 2: Tina? Right opposite of sticks.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, still good.
Speaker 2: And here we are, Hi mom, Hey, sweetheart, what you're doing in here?
Speaker 5: Just looking at old pictures? Look at this one?
Speaker 4: Oh it's me as a teenager.
Speaker 5: Honey, that's a picture of me.
Speaker 2: Wow, we really do look alike.
Speaker 5: Huh strong jeans baby.
Speaker 2: Anyway, MoMA, I wanted to ask more about you setting up the security system.
Speaker 4: I still can't believe you did that.
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 8: Get in a top secret bunker up and running, it's no small tasks, and I was thrilled to be able to pitch in. So I pulled some permits, got the security system running, Hiatina and the other raccoons, and taught them how to use all the sound equipment, just some behind the scene details.
Speaker 4: You low key paved the way for my dream.
Speaker 8: You're not the first person in this family to love history and hip hop, and I thought your idea to combine them was genius.
Speaker 2: I had no idea you did so much to make this happen.
Speaker 8: In my experience, whenever something big happens, it takes a lot of people to pull it off. I'm learning that yeah, and not everyone can be the face of a movement. Some people have to set up the security system.
Speaker 2: Thanks Mom, I love you and I really appreciate your support.
Speaker 5: I love you too.
Speaker 4: Oh look my old rollerblades. I'll use those to get to the interview.
Speaker 5: Don't forget your helmet here.
Speaker 4: Great call.
Speaker 2: Okay, listeners, it's time to go meet two totally extraordinary people. Down the hole and.
Speaker 3: Left and right and avoid the stairs this time by using the elevator. Not sure what I didn't take the elevator before, but you know you'll have an new learn. And speaking of learning, we have arrived at the room where I have video calls.
Speaker 2: Today we're meeting two incredible people. Hi, Roxanne and Stella. Can you kick things off by introducing yourselves.
Speaker 9: My name is Roxanne Gay. I'm a space cowboy and I'm kidding. My name is Roxanne Gay. I am a writer, a teacher, and an editor.
Speaker 10: My name is Della Carolina and I am six years old. My favorite thing in life is TV.
Speaker 4: Hi, not sane?
Speaker 2: Hi, Stella, Stella? What were you hoping to learn from Roxanne about Claudette Coulfin?
Speaker 10: Why do kids learn about Rosa Parks but not Claudet co That's a.
Speaker 9: Great question, Stella. You know, there are a couple reasons. One, when Claudette Colvin refused to give up to her seat to a white woman, she was a teenager and at the time, and quite frankly, even now, people don't always take kids seriously. So Rosa Parks when she refused to give up her seat, she was older, she was a professional, she had, you know, the right skin tone, she had the right kind of hair, and so leaders of the civil rights movement thought that Rosa Parks might be a better person to represent the entire movement. But you know that doesn't take away from what Claudette Colvin did.
Speaker 10: How much has changed with civil rights since Claudet Colvin was the key.
Speaker 9: When Claudette Colvin first refused to give up her seat on that bus in Alabama, things were really different, and we still deal with racism and other forms of bigotry now. But most of the laws that made it possible for Claudette Covin to be arrested no longer exist. We no longer live ideally in a segregated society. Everyone gets to live together and share our communities together. We are more able to point out injustice when we see it. And I'll tell you what, cell phone cameras have done an incredible amount of good because now we can provide evidence of the issues that we deal with, particularly with police and other sort of forms of public racism that we see on a day to day basis. So things are getting better, but we shouldn't get comfortable because we have so much left.
Speaker 10: To do, Like how much to do? You know?
Speaker 9: I think about that every single day. Every single day I wonder like, hmm, is this something we're going to solve in my lifetime? I will say that we have to continue to fight for civil rights until lawmakers can no longer decide which rights we're allowed to have. And so right now we have quite a ways left to go, but at least we know where are headed.
Speaker 2: Stella, do you have any questions for Roxanne about her work or career?
Speaker 10: How are you Roxane? Part of making change now?
Speaker 9: Well, one of the key things I try to do in my work is to talk about the issues that I find to be most pressing in ways that everyone will be able to connect to. And I always try to bring attention to the people who are taking the really big risks by protesting and sometimes even having to engage with law enforcement and doing some of the really challenging things that can come along with living the life of an activist.
Speaker 10: How can I be an activist?
Speaker 6: You know?
Speaker 9: One of the best ways that you can be an activist, especially at your age, is to pay attention to the news and ask questions about the world and the people that we elect as our leaders and the issues that we should all be caring about.
Speaker 2: Wow, does this mean that anyone can be an activist?
Speaker 9: Anyone can be an activist. All you have to do is care about yourself and other people and the world that we live in. If you do that, you are already well on your way to being an activist.
Speaker 10: I already do that, Yes see.
Speaker 4: I mean look at you.
Speaker 9: You're an activist already, and I think that's amazing. I think more people should be willing to be an activist because there are a lot of problems in this world and it's going to take all of us to solve them.
Speaker 2: This husband so great. Thank you both for being here.
Speaker 10: Thank you for answering oh my question.
Speaker 9: Well, thank you for asking the questions. It's been just the highlight of my day talking to you.
Speaker 3: Stella listeners, thanks for joining in today and for going on a journey with me to learn about the great Claudet Colvin and a giant. Thank you to today's guests Stella and ro sand Gek Remember parents and teachers. You can download a free activity related to today's episode by visiting story pirates dot com slash Historical Records. We'll be back next week to make another historical record. Until then, remember to make history, you gotta make some noise.
Speaker 4: Bye.
Speaker 11: Historical Records is produced in partnership with story Pirate Studios, Questlove's two on five Entertainment, John Glickman and iHeart Podcasts Executive produced by Emir Questlove Thompson, John Glickman, Lee Overtree and Benjamin Salka. Executive produced for iHeart Podcasts by Noel Brown. Producers for story Pirate Studios are Isabella Riccio, Sam Bear, Eric Gerson, Andrew Miller, Lee Overtree, Peter McNerney and niminy Ware. Producers for two one five are Sean G. Britney, Benjamin and Sarah Zolman. Hosted by niminy Ware. Our head writer is Duke Doyle. Our historians are Gabe Pacheco and Lee Polus. Music supervision for two one five by Stroe Elliott. Scoring and music supervision for Story Pired Studios by Eric Erson. Sound designed and mixing by Sam Bear at the Relic Room in New York City, Song mastering by Josh Hahn. Theme song by Dan Foster and Eric Gerson and produced by Eric Erson. Production coordination by Isabelle Riccio. Production management by Maggie Lee. The line producer for Story Pired Studios is Glennisprawl. Pr for Story Pired Studios is provided by Naomi Shaw. Episode artwork by Camilla Franklin. This episode was written by Duke Doyle. The song Claude at Colvin was written by Niminyware and produced by Stroe Elliott with additional production by Eric Gerson. Special guests Rock sand Gay and kid interviewer Stella. This episode features performances by Barbara Currn, Tessa Hirsch, Peter McNerney, Lee Overtree, and Lee Polus. Special thanks J T.
Speaker 2: Sue