Speaker 1: We got a brand new second date podcast for you today. Thank you so much for being here on the podcasting Duffery.
Speaker 2: In the morning.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and they say it couldn't be done. Men thought it was impossible. But yet twenty years one of our listeners finally got out of the friend zone. Wow, crazy, What do you do after?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Well you like and stuff?
Speaker 2: Yeah you end up here.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a bumpy ride.
Speaker 3: It's a bumby ride.
Speaker 1: You know that there's no roadmap for this one. Oh so that is happening in your second date here in just a second.
Speaker 2: But what do you see, Alexis that you like people? Yeah, Shay said all Caps Brook Jeff Jose.
Speaker 4: Alexis, my sister sent me a second ate update about a year ago. I have binged one and fifty seven episodes in under twelve months. Just a random dude from Metro Detroit hoping. Alexis reads my comment much love from the mitten.
Speaker 3: You got your what's next? Mitten? What's your next goal? You've heard everything you had?
Speaker 5: Alexis read a comment, Well, I mean we need to per I don't know a phone them or something.
Speaker 3: I think he gets it.
Speaker 2: He gets a spot on the show.
Speaker 4: We gotta start setting up plaques.
Speaker 3: I love that it'd be so rad Brook and Jeffrey.
Speaker 2: But if only we had a marketing budget, Yeah, or any budget. All right, Hey, thank you so much for being here. Your brand new Second Date Update starts right now.
Speaker 6: Second Date Update. What are the percentages of how people meet when they come to us? It's Brook and Jeffrey in the morning.
Speaker 2: There, I'd say like eighty.
Speaker 6: Yeah, dating apps, I think a couple of years ago that was up to like ninety. But lately people have been starting to grow tired of that. They're finding new ways to connect, and you hear about more people meeting at run clubs and yoga classes. One couple even met at the dentist's office in the lobby when they were both high on nitrous waiting for the rides to take them home.
Speaker 2: Maybe just your personal story.
Speaker 6: Yeah, sexy and worth mentioning. But we don't get a lot of folks on this segment who already knew each other for years before they ever went out on a date.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because you know they'd be comfortable enough to like check in and see.
Speaker 3: What was going on.
Speaker 6: That's what you think. But we're doing it today with our listener Jillian. So, Jillian, welcome to the show.
Speaker 7: Hi, thank you for taking a call.
Speaker 2: I'm like, so, like, you got ghosted by someone who is your friend.
Speaker 6: Like, how that makes it worse? How how long were they were your friend for?
Speaker 7: So, Thomas and I have known each other for almost twenty years.
Speaker 2: Wait wait, how how do you guys know each other?
Speaker 7: So we grew up in the same neighborhood. We were on fourteen together, and our families were super close and did be hung out together all the time, you know, the barbecues and all that.
Speaker 2: Oh man, that's like really interwoven.
Speaker 6: Yeah, was he your first kiss ever as a kid growing up?
Speaker 7: No, he did ask me out, like multiple times, like over the years he'd ask you out, and I said no, not because I don't like him, but just because I thought it might be awkward for our families, you know, like you he dated, it didn't work out. I didn't want to get weird.
Speaker 3: Families get that close.
Speaker 5: I had somebody who I thought was my cousin my whole life, and like literally like five ten years ago, my parents were like, that's not your cousin, a good family friend.
Speaker 3: I'm like, wait, Lisa Marie is not my cousin. I just love grow up and then they feel like blood.
Speaker 2: They really on that one.
Speaker 6: Okay. So he was trying for it and you kept shooting him down for years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So what changed?
Speaker 7: Well? I saw him a couple of weeks ago and picnic my family was hosting. It has been a while since I've seen him, and I'm just gonna lie.
Speaker 2: He looked really good, Thomas.
Speaker 6: Okay, and that changed your mind?
Speaker 7: Yeah, was like, forget weird, let's just go for this.
Speaker 3: Yah got hot.
Speaker 6: Okay, it's not shallow. You've known each other for a long time.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean I feel like it was safe. In these days, you find someone that's so safe with.
Speaker 6: Oh totally okay.
Speaker 1: So wait, how did you guys turn it into a romantic date though?
Speaker 7: Well? I hit him up. I hit him up, and I was just like, hey, you want to meet up hang out? And he kind of freaked up a little, you know, he was like, when are you free? Let me cook your dinner.
Speaker 8: He's like, whole life, get it.
Speaker 7: All with you.
Speaker 3: That'd be weird.
Speaker 6: It's because you rejected him for so long, No wonder he was like totally caught back by it.
Speaker 1: Well, I thought he'd be confused that maybe they were just going to hang out as friends. But his response definitely doesn't sound like that.
Speaker 3: You said the word date, obviously, you like made it clear.
Speaker 7: I think it was more like in my energy and my tone, and that kind of made it like, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: Let's hang out.
Speaker 6: The eighteen hard emojis at the end of the text message and the kissing emoji.
Speaker 2: That wasn't the emoji she was using.
Speaker 6: Okay, so that's cool. He wanted to cook for you. How did that go?
Speaker 7: Oh, it's great. We had a fabulous meal. You know. I did the whole like hanging out in the kitchen watching him cook. It was like a coconut curry cast role.
Speaker 1: Wh Is there any awkwardness because sometimes when you turn these friendships into something romantic like there can be I don't know, just funny moments, you know.
Speaker 7: To be honest, I was amazed at how comfortable it felt. The conversation was really good. We did end up like a little makeout fresh in herp me.
Speaker 3: So he picked up.
Speaker 5: It sounds weird to say, but it may be hard to get out of the friend zone, like when you've been friends for so long.
Speaker 1: Maybe his mind is just still blown and he hasn't like come to realize that this wasn't a dream.
Speaker 3: Yeah, did that really happen?
Speaker 6: What happened after the kiss?
Speaker 7: Well, I did go home.
Speaker 8: I was a good girl, okay.
Speaker 7: But I got a couple of nice texts from him afterwards, you know, thanking me for coming over. But then I've texted him a few more times with just sort of like some invitations, what are you doing, want to grab a drink, et cetera. And he's been sending back the word busy.
Speaker 3: Oh, just the word.
Speaker 7: Yes. Like the total attitude and energy and all of it has just changed. And I have no idea what's going on with him?
Speaker 2: Do you think he's trying to play hard to get now? I think it's really bad at him?
Speaker 3: Yeap in the script?
Speaker 6: So does him just texting the word busy to you over and over? Is that worse than just getting straight up ghosted?
Speaker 7: I don't think he ghosts, because like our family is just raking like that would be really weird.
Speaker 6: But just saying one word busy it implies that he's mad at you or something's wrong. Though, so funny busy, We're actually kind of busy right now. So we should probably move on to the second part of this call, where we reach out to Thomas for you and try to figure out what's going on.
Speaker 5: Well, he's honestly not super busy.
Speaker 6: It's really important. We'll find out where we do your second date update right after this second date update if you're just joining us. Quick recap of Jillian's date with Thomas, a guy she's known for twenty years as a family friend and Thomas has actually asked her out several times before. She always would say no to him until he showed up to a family picnic looking like a total snack, and she gave Tommy boy the old green light after that when.
Speaker 3: I just sit down next to the potato salad.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, it doesn't get any hotter. So eventually went over to his place. He cooked a meal for her so sweet. It sounds like a lot of their family gatherings are kind of based around food, so that sounds normal. But since then, he's only been replying to her text with one word busy.
Speaker 3: Ah h really.
Speaker 6: Cold, and Jillian doesn't understand why. So we're trying to help figure that out. Jillian, I'm curious, just going back to the date night you said he cooked like a coconut curry thing for you. When you bit into it, did you make a weird face or something that could have been taken the wrong way by him, where maybe he got offended.
Speaker 7: No, No, there's no way. Like his coconut curry was amazing. I was like gushing if anything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they had a makeout session after words.
Speaker 6: Well, I've made up with people angrily before when I've been doing mad at them. Sometimes we settle differences. Though.
Speaker 3: If you're a.
Speaker 5: Manager and Jeff asked for the manager, do not come yeah the way you.
Speaker 6: Think you're about to get a piece of my mind and my tongue.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna say that their first kiss was like crazy because it's like.
Speaker 2: Twenty years in the baking.
Speaker 6: That's wild.
Speaker 5: You even said it all felt natural, the kids felt natural, the chemistry, right, I mean.
Speaker 2: There is potential in this if we can get weird keep going.
Speaker 6: Yeah, So let's just dial his number. Hopefully he's not too busy to pick up, and we'll see if we can get some answers.
Speaker 1: Out of him.
Speaker 6: But I'm dying you right now. Hello, Hey is this Thomas?
Speaker 8: Yeah? Who's this?
Speaker 6: Hey man? We're a radio show We're called Brook and Jeffrey in the morning.
Speaker 3: Hello, good morning.
Speaker 8: Okay, we're just going to brag.
Speaker 2: We're yeah, we are very excited to talk to you.
Speaker 3: I am.
Speaker 6: Anyway, We've actually we've heard a lot about you from someone who asks us to reach out to you named Jillian.
Speaker 8: Oh.
Speaker 6: Okay, yeah, okay. We know you know her for a long time, and this is a segment we do call the second Date Update, because we're trying to figure out why after you two hung out the other night and had dinner together. I mean, she feels like there should be another hangout session and you're not responding. Yeah, I don't.
Speaker 8: I don't really know if I'm comfortable talking about this. I'm sorry, I gotta she had the date went so well?
Speaker 3: Did it not go well in your eyes?
Speaker 2: I mean, it's such a cute story you two.
Speaker 3: Yeahs been like in the making.
Speaker 1: Right twenty years you finally get out of the friend zone, which impresses every man.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, I had. I was looking forward to it and it went really well.
Speaker 7: But well, there's just a violation of trust.
Speaker 8: Unfortunately.
Speaker 1: Oh oh, I don't think she's aware.
Speaker 2: Of that at all.
Speaker 8: Yeah, she probably isn't.
Speaker 6: Well, if you are such good family friends going back twenty years. I feel like you should be comfortable enough to reach out and talk to her if there was an issue, a violation of some sort.
Speaker 8: I mean, I'm not sure like how malicious it was, but it's just it's complicated. Unfortunately, and because of her, my grandmother won't talk to me.
Speaker 6: Right now, Wait, what what.
Speaker 2: What does your grandma have to do with Jillian?
Speaker 8: Yeah, well, I didn't realize at the time, but she came over and I wanted to treat her right, right, So I busted out grandma's secret recipe.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 8: It's like this amazing dish that we always make for special occasions of coconut curry castle role right. And I guess while I was in the kitchen, cooking and doing my thing, at some point, I must have had my back turned and the family recipe book is just sitting there open. It's not supposed to be shared with anybody or anything like that. Apparently, at some point she must have taken in a photo of the recipe and forwarded it to her grandmother.
Speaker 3: Oh no, she's not a recipe.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I don't. I don't know if she meant to steal it. Like maliciously or for whatever reason.
Speaker 3: But the picture of it.
Speaker 8: It's now a thing where her grandmother is holding it over my grandmother's head. Now my grandmother's mad at me. She's like, why would you share that? You know, she's hissed.
Speaker 6: Some petty grandma right going.
Speaker 2: Dude, this feels not that petty to me though.
Speaker 1: You get a signature dish that you bring to every event and everybody wants to know what it is, and you can't tell them because then they're going to bring it, and then you have to ask like, oh are you bringing it?
Speaker 2: I'm going to bring it. It's a whole thing.
Speaker 5: Some restaurants have literally started based on someone's secret family recipe, Like can't you see yeah, a secret recipe?
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 8: I just I feel like, at the very least you should have like said something or asked me before, but like now because of the way it went down and I didn't realize. And then like, you know, these these grandma's they can they if they got claws.
Speaker 4: You did you tell her it was a secret recipe before the photo, like.
Speaker 8: She knew Oh yeah, oh yeah, she knows it's my grandma's secret recipe. Okay, Now my grandmother's like you let some temptress come in and you.
Speaker 7: Okay, sat Hello, Hello, Hello, I'm here, Thomas, okay.
Speaker 6: Hell shoot all right, yeah Thomas, that's Jilly and she's been waiting on the other line wanting to talk to you.
Speaker 8: Are you kidding me?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's that's how this segment works. It's kind of sneaky, just like grandma.
Speaker 7: No. No, so listen. I did not I think it was going to be that big of a deal. I had no idea that my grandma was going to share it with your grandma like that and like literally taunt her. I did not know that she was going to do that.
Speaker 8: Well, you've met our grandmothers. They they are like, oh, they got like old school beef with each other.
Speaker 7: Oh, but I'm thinking it was going to be more like like a funny thing, Like I didn't realize there was going to be like that elevated emotionally.
Speaker 8: Yeah, that's hilarious. Now she won't even like answer my phone calls.
Speaker 4: Oh that's bad.
Speaker 6: Well you don't really want to answer any grandma phone calls. To be honest, I.
Speaker 2: Think you should check the will because somebody may be written out.
Speaker 7: I mean, maybe I could talk to her. Maybe I can talk to her.
Speaker 8: Trust me, she does not want to talk to you.
Speaker 6: I appreciate that, but.
Speaker 1: But I think there's only one way out of this, and that's Julian. You have to go get your grandmother's secret recipe and give it to Thomas's grandmother.
Speaker 2: It's like tit for tat.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 7: Yeah, wait, wait, guys, I don't know. Maybe that's a little too far.
Speaker 6: Oh that's too far. But what you did was innocent.
Speaker 8: I think that might actually work. I think I know what recipe my grandmother would want.
Speaker 3: Really tell us.
Speaker 7: Don't say it, please, Thomas, Please don't say it.
Speaker 8: Grandpa Joe's bourbon pecan pie.
Speaker 6: I want pecan pie would be a solution to balance things out and restore peace to the neighborhood, into the grandma versus.
Speaker 2: If you have to sneak it, I think it's worth it. Remember how hot Thomas got?
Speaker 8: Oh yeah, oh.
Speaker 6: You didn't hear that, Thomas.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: By the way, never mind, I mean, are we really doing this right now? Are we just swapping old family recipes to resolve a dating dispute? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, somehow I find it sexy, the whole thing.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but I don't want Jillian's grandma to now be mad at us for encouraging this, and now we're caught up in this neighborhood feud.
Speaker 3: Oh, we'll just give her one of Alexi's recipes.
Speaker 6: Butter, no milk.
Speaker 3: Water maybe?
Speaker 6: Okay? Well, I mean, I can't believe we're doing this, But Jillian, is it possible that you'd be able to give one leash, one family recipe in order to make things good with Thomas Camp That's.
Speaker 2: Right, the peacm pie.
Speaker 8: It's possible, she di Wow, Just quick correction. It's not just the pecan pie recipe. It's a bourbon pecan pire. Yeah, all right, that's the one we want, all right.
Speaker 6: Jillian says she's willing to betray her own grandmother and give it up to you.
Speaker 7: Well, I'm gonna have to ask her, and I'm gonna take some work, but I'm willing to give it a try.
Speaker 6: Well, there you go. Will you say yes to a second date? Because if you do, we would pay for it.
Speaker 8: I mean, how how can I say no?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Of course? All right, after that pecan pie cry, there you go.
Speaker 2: I'm hungry and turned on.
Speaker 3: That's normal.
Speaker 7: Thanks, I'm looking forward to it cute.
Speaker 2: You guys are going to be cute.
Speaker 8: Yeah, of course. And if you come over again, I got the rec of your book out. Just promise me you'll you'll ask me to close it or no? No wandering eyes right.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you temptress. Jeffrey in the morning missed opportunity, not for Thomas, not for Thomas, and not for Jillian, for us. How did we not get a pie order in At the very end we discussed pies for like the last three minutes, not one of us asked for it to be delivered to the dude.
Speaker 1: What I want is an awkward Tuesday phone call with those two petty grandmas.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's where the real drama is.
Speaker 3: I want to I want to be part of a bake off.
Speaker 8: Dude.
Speaker 1: I feel like her grandma set her up, put it in her mind to go out with him just so she could get that rest.
Speaker 3: I kind of thought that too. She was like, let's just go on one date.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but then she would have been asking us dirty work for me.
Speaker 6: Drama still, but we love it. Whatever drama is happening in your life and your personal life or in your dating life, you can always email the show and we can call that person who's not calling you back. You can find all of our second dates wherever you get your podcasts at Brook and Jeffrey benjam If you want, it's Brooke and Jeffrey in the morning.