Speaker 1: Morning Run with Amy and TJ and iHeartRadio Podcast.
Speaker 2: Hey there, folks, it is Sunday, May the fourth be with you, and welcome to this special Sunday edition of Morning Run. Robes something I think you more so than me, something about our Monday through Friday Morning Run. You've been getting a lot of feedback on so we thought we try something new here today. But it's our quote of the day. We put one at the end of the Morning Run every single day, and you have gotten some really positive feedback about it.
Speaker 3: I have.
Speaker 1: I have heard from so many of my friends and family members who listen to Morning Run, and a lot of times they look forward each and every day to the end of Morning Run, which is when we do our quote of the day. And so when we have ones that are personal or that somehow resonate with one of them, I always hear back from them. So it's always good to hear that. That is at least the feedback I'm getting. One of the favorite arts of Morning Run that we end on a positive note, We end on something to think about. We end on something that you can actually use to change perhaps the course of your day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and so it's something we keep files and files. This is something we've done for years. Literally have stacks and stacks of paper with quotes on them, and we use them every morning. And look, everybody, you know, just a little and some of them I have taken down over the years. It doesn't have to be from some famous person. Sometimes as a kid walking down the street and I just hear something funny, you're cute that I want to be reminded of that. Everybody can use I get them from everywhere. So what we thought we'd do is here on Sunday instead of doing something faith based. You know a lot of people are thinking about faith and spending time with family, but everybody's looking for it. A little inspiration on Sunday, right, a little recharge, I do think.
Speaker 1: So this is actually technically the first day of the week, right, Sunday is still the end of the weekend, but the start of a new week. And I do think that's a moment to reflect, a moment to think about and be. Basically, I feel like to be in intentional for the week and sometimes to get a little motivation to say, how do I want to start my week, how do I want to live my life this week?
Speaker 3: And how do I want to change and do better and be better.
Speaker 1: And I do think sometimes looking at quotes and getting inspired by other people's experiences and other people's thoughts and advice has a big impact on my day. So we thought we would kind of reflect on our weekly quotes of the day and go a little bit more in depth.
Speaker 2: Okay, so I'm laughing now, we're going to go through the five we had for the week. We were going to kind of recap, tell you how we landed on them and what they actually mean to us. But I'm laughing now. The five quotes for the past week for us came from an NFL Hall of Famer and all time rapping great, a pop superstar and author, and one of the greatest artists of all time. So this is a good group.
Speaker 1: They These are people who have not only earned their wisdom, but have clearly earned their respect over the centuries, even perhaps with people around the world.
Speaker 2: All Right, so we'll start this was the quote on Monday. We'll give it to you, and then we'll explain to you exactly how we came upon this one. In Robes, this was actually one that you plucked out specifically because of something that was happening in the news.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 1: Keep going no matter what, you keep moving. I know you've heard this before, but life is not a sprint. It's a marathon. We go through seasons, darkness and light, darkness and light, and we are strengthened by adversity.
Speaker 2: Now all of us could use that. You could read it over and over. There's some point in your day every single day if you look down, just read that, like, all right, I can get through the next fifteen minutes.
Speaker 3: At least I got this.
Speaker 2: But this was plugged out because what was big in the news all week happened to do with the NFL draft and the biggest name in the draft, and most talked about what Shadur Sanders. You probably know what he went through, but this quote wrote because of that story you hunting it down.
Speaker 1: Yes, this is from his father, Dion Sanders, and I actually thought that perhaps, you know, we could only hope or whish the Dion or Shadur or someone who knows them listens to Morning Run and Dion could actually take solace in his own words. You know, sometimes I don't know if you've ever seen something you've written in a journal or something you wrote in your diary, and you go back, you're like, wow, that was actually really wise of me.
Speaker 2: To inspire yourself.
Speaker 3: Yes, I could lean on my own words.
Speaker 1: So yes, my pipe dream was that maybe Dion could lean on his own words. But it actually was cool because it worked in the moment with what they were going through as a family, but what so many of us go through just even yes daily, I loved it. I did.
Speaker 2: And it's so simple. It's really so simple. But thank you for that, Deon. That was actually our quote on Monday. On Tuesday, you plucked this one out actually from an artist you're not that familiar with. You know the name, but you don't listen to a lot of the music. That's correct. I do play it a lot and you're like, who's this? I like this? But you plucked this out for a very specific reason as well.
Speaker 1: I did. So you were having a very tough twenty four hours and it was little stuff that was just building up. It's like, you know, you can have Honestly, I think sometimes you can have big stuff come at you and you you hunker down and you brace yourself and you keep going through. But when you're in that fight dealing with a bunch of big stuff, and then some little stuff happens on top. It's the straw that broke the camel's back. There's a reason why they say that. It's just it's that one last little thing that just is like enough, I can't take it that one more negative thing can happen to me, And then it does. And that's so no. You know, when you it can either happen to you or if it happens to someone you love, it affects everybody. And so I felt you're the weight of what you were dealing with. And I saw this line from Tupac and I just thought this is perfect, and we played the song.
Speaker 3: Here's the lyric though, even though you're fed up, you gotta keep your head up.
Speaker 2: It's simple Tyler song. You Ree said over and over and over in the song. If the style a song keep your head up. But it's an oldie, but a great one from Tupac is an all time of his.
Speaker 1: And I will say when you saw it, because sometimes you don't read the quote of the day until we get to it. And when you saw it, I saw your face light up and you smiled. It. Really that is kind of the one of the points we're trying to make with quote.
Speaker 3: Of the day, and even with this podcast, sometimes it.
Speaker 1: Just takes one thought, one thought that shifts your thinking, and all of a sudden, you can be in this negative pattern or this negative spiral and somebody or someone or a quote will remind you that it's going to be okay. And everyone gets there and goes there, but you can get back up and you can make it good again, and it's within your control.
Speaker 3: And I love this lyric.
Speaker 2: All right, well, we appreciate that that was on Tuesday from Tupac. Even though you fed up, you got to keep your head up. We move now to Wednesday. This one is another song lyric, but this one was inspired by frankly A hell of a week, a very special week, a very fun week, and a very inspirational week for us because of someone that's married near and dear toss that we got to spend some time with Rachel Platten.
Speaker 1: Yes, Rachel plattin so ten years ago maybe even yeah, it was around ten years ago.
Speaker 3: I got to meet Rachel.
Speaker 1: I had just finished my battle with breast cancer and I was lucky enough to have that battle coincide with a song she was writing about her mental health battle, but it ended up becoming an anthem for cancer patients and cancer survivors around the world.
Speaker 3: Fight Song. So she came on to Good Morning America and I.
Speaker 1: Met her there and she sang that song and tears were streaming to my face. And over the years we've found ourselves seated next to each other at different galas or different dinners. And this girl is just the real deal. She is somebody who expresses what she's been through and despite all of her success, if you actually go in and learn about her story, she spent thirteen years schlepping a piano down so waystairs and bringing band equipment into different dive bars along Bleaker Street and finally made her way and it was that song, Fight Song that got her to where she is today. And so yes, we were honored to be able to go see her give an amazing concert. It was an intimate dinner actually for mental health awareness, butse she talks very openly about her struggles with postpartum and mental health, and so this was the lyric that we use for our quote of the Day on Wednesday.
Speaker 2: I'm bigger than the bad thoughts, I'm brighter than the light they're trying to steal. I won't let the bad thoughts take the wheel, and it is this is the song. This is the breathe in, Breathe Out one. Right if you hear the song, she actually tries to, I guess, coach the listener through kind of a meditation, if you will, and ask you to breathe in, breathe out. And the name of the song is bad thoughts. But we got to spend some time. We saw her performed twice this week, actually a private dinner and then at a concert. So we just adore her and this was very appropriate this week.
Speaker 3: Didn't you think like you've had a panic attack? Right, I don't know. You don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't know what that Honestly, I don't think so because I'm told I would know it.
Speaker 3: Yes, but I have heard you.
Speaker 1: I mean, you've definitely dealt with severe anxiety, and I have heard you when you're in those stressful moments breathing. You'll breathe in and you'll breathe out, and I can hear you. And that is usually the advice for someone who's going through I'm not saying you've had one, but I have definitely had a few in my life and When I hear that song, it is almost like coaching somebody through a panic attack. But it's also just a gorgeous song. So I'm bigger than the bad thoughts. I'm brighter than the light they're trying to steal. I won't let the bad thoughts take the wheel.
Speaker 2: We will turn to Thursdays quote. Now, this is one I think came out of nowhere. This is one I didn't see ahead of time. So okay, No, the Friday one is the one that I was upset about because I just wasn't in the movie for it. Okay, so we'll stick with Thursday. So Thursday's quote, explain please.
Speaker 1: So Thursday was actually May first, which was technically Mental Health Awareness. It was the first day of Mental Health Awareness Month.
Speaker 3: And so we had just come I think.
Speaker 1: We got two and a half three hours of sleep, and so we had just come from the concert that was in honor of that day, and so I was thinking about what possibly could be.
Speaker 3: A quote in honor of that day.
Speaker 1: And this is all about basically remembering and reminding ourselves that we are actually in control of our thoughts, we're in control of our reactions.
Speaker 3: And so I just I liked.
Speaker 1: This reminder that we get to choose, and it's from a I was actually surprised where it was from Paradise Lost. I feel like that was like Subscribe in high school by John Milton.
Speaker 3: Did you ever have to read Paradise Loss?
Speaker 2: I don't remember it at all.
Speaker 3: I think maybe I did, but I don't really remember any of it.
Speaker 1: It felt like one of those like important novels that you're supposed to read when you're in high school.
Speaker 3: But I love this quote.
Speaker 2: The mind is its own place and in itself can make heaven of hell, hell of heaven. Ain't that the truth? That's about perspective. You could be sitting in the most wonderful place with the most wonderful people, doing the most wonderful of things, and something in your head is bothering, you are getting in your way, and you have everything going for you, and you just decide to sometimes just nitpick or find the negative and where you are, yes, it can mess with you. But the reverse of that, when it's all going a ish, when it's all, yeah, we're just trying to save our editor from having to make an edit. But when it's all going to just ish for you, or it seems like or should be right. Everything around you is telling you you're in a bad spot, and then you see people just smiling, laughing in their way through it. I think that's the mind.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And you do get to decide that.
Speaker 1: I think so often we give away our own power and a reminder that we do actually get to decide how we're going to feel and how we're going to react and how we're.
Speaker 3: Going to be.
Speaker 1: So I am in the middle of reading this book called You Are or We Are Not Our Thoughts, and I loved this because he made a comparison about you could be sitting in a coffee shop. It could be seventy five degrees and beautiful, and you're sipping your coffee, and you could be in the middle of dealing with like a threat from work, and your marriage is going and you're just your anxiety is up and you're just having the worst day ever. And the person next to you in the same coffee shop, drinking the same coffee, with the same weather and the same noise and the same ambiance could be having like the best day of their life. The point being is it's what's in your head. It's not the experience of where you are and what you're witnessing because you're comfortable, You're drinking a warm drink, the weather is beautiful, the birds are chirping. There's a but you could have two completely different experiences sitting side by side with one another based on what is in your head and who is in control of what is in your head.
Speaker 2: You are Since this is Sunday, we're supposed to be inspirational. I'm not gonna I'm not gonna fight you on this issue with if you think not, I don't know, but what you said makes perfect. Everybody knows what you just said is true. It's just it's a difficult to overcome sometime. But the mind can do that for you. Takes a little training, takes a little work, and ITSI takes a little rest to be able to be up.
Speaker 1: Like that all of the above, and it absolutely takes training, and we all still fall back into that dark place. But we'll give you the quote one last time just for just for you to actually think and consider it. The mind is its own place and in itself can make a heaven of hell a hell of heaven.
Speaker 2: And then we turn to the last one we had for the week. On Friday. I'm a little annoyed now, Rose, because I'm seeing in the note that the quote we used was a paraphrase of the actual quote, and I'm seeing the actual quote I like better than the one we use. So yeah, this is a great way to wrap up this inspirational podcast here is by taking issue with you.
Speaker 1: Yes, and so that you can leave this podcast annoyed instead of inspired.
Speaker 3: That's exactly what I was hoping would happen.
Speaker 1: Okay, So the quote on Friday was if you can if you can't find inspiration today, be an inspiration.
Speaker 3: And I actually chose this.
Speaker 1: Quote because I got I was getting I was laughing at myself. I was getting frustrated because I didn't feel inspired. I couldn't find something that I thought spoke to me. And then I saw this quote and I laughed out loud because I thought, wow, here I am searching for something, but I could actually just be something and.
Speaker 2: I liked it. That is in line with the other quotes I've heard before, and it makes sense. The hope, the one I used plenty of times before was stop waiting for somebody else to be the light in the room. You be the light. So that's simple. Just be the light. This is in line with that, and it makes sense you called me again, man. I guess I had a rough week of sleep. We partied for two nights, only got about two and a half hours of sleep because of Rachel Plattin. But I saw his own Friday and I just roll my eyes, like, give me a break. I did not want to hear this right now, but now I see where you got it, and now I like it better.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: So I actually didn't even do a deep dive when I put it out there on Friday.
Speaker 3: I just saw that it was unknown.
Speaker 1: And when I knew we were doing this podcast about doing a deeper dive into our quotes, I thought, let me just see if I can find the source or the origin of this quote. And sure enough, it's paraphrased from Pablo Picasso. So yes, sometimes things get lost in translation, and then sometimes things get changed and moved a little bit. And while I obviously liked the outcome of our quote of the day, here is what Pablo Picasso actually said when translated.
Speaker 2: More specifically, Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working. That one is familiar to me. Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working. I love that the idea that you can't just sit on your butt and expect it all to come to you. You got to be out there grinding in some way. So I love love that quote. I didn't know the two were connected or paraphrase in some way, So I guess we get in six quotes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well you know what I think the idea obviously, the idea is, yes, if you want to be inspired, you know, work hard and things will happen and you'll find inspiration and the creativity will come because you're busy and you're doing things. And yes, be the creative person, Be the person who inspires yourself. And I think all of these quotes have a similar theme.
Speaker 3: It's about recognizing in your own power.
Speaker 1: It's about recognizing your own worth, and it's about recognizing the impact that you can actually have, not just on other people, but on your self.
Speaker 3: We are our own worst enemy, are we not.
Speaker 1: We are personally the reasons why we suffer, and so I just think it's a good There are so many different ways to say it, and so many different ways to resonate with people, but ultimately, it is about recognizing your own power.
Speaker 2: And folks, please let us know what you think this is something we just wanted to try on a Sunday, a little Sunday inspiration, possibly just a recap of the quotes of the week that many of you have commented on, but we didn't. We don't get to delve into them a whole lot on the Monday through Friday run, so we thought we'd give these to you one more time, so let us know what you think about it. I hope you like it, but we give it a shot today. We think you know what.
Speaker 1: I think it's great and I would love to actually if this works out going forward. How fun would it be to create something on social media where we could solicit quotes from you all, like we would love to hear the things that motivate you. What do you say to yourself if you have a mantra or a quote you lean on during specific times. We're going to work on that because I think that would actually be fun to say the quote of the day comes from you know, Sarah in Boston, and that would be really cool to honestly even, yes, we can say where it's from, but I love knowing that it meant something to each of you personally. So maybe we will work on that, because that would be a fun way to bring some of you into our podcast and feel like you're inspiring us as much as hopefully we can maybe every now and then inspire you.
Speaker 2: All Right, folks, we appreciate you as always well listening. We'll see you on the run tomorrow Monday,