Speaker 1: When something is shouting at me to feel a certain way, my automatic reaction will always be bullshit.
Speaker 2: Hello again, and welcome back to Midnight Chat, a podcast of informal interviews with musicians we love, posted weekly at midnight to suit these very unplanned conversations. This week's episode is hosted by me Stuart Stubbs, the editor of Loud and Quiet magazine, and tonight's guest on the podcast is Oliver sim who I'm sure you know already is a member of the British trio The XX, alongside his very good and very long standing friends Jamie Smith aka Jamie XX and Rommy madley Croft. He's known Ronny since he was three years old. They went to nursery together. Oliver's on the podcast, though, not to talk about a new XX record, but about his debut solo album. It's called Hideous Bastard Incredible Name, and it is out this Friday, which is what that's the ninth of September. I spoke to Oliver as you're here pretty much exactly two weeks ago. We do get into a bit of XX Chat, though, reminisce a bit about the old days, particularly about a show that I once put on with a couple of friends. Shout out to Ian and Sasha, but we mainly there's a lot to talk about with Hideous Bastard. It comes with a film which will be available on the streaming service Movie Perhaps Now. It's kind of a horror film. We talk a bit about horror films that's inspired this record as well, a very personal record for Oliver. We talk about a track called Hideous, which is the first track on the album. It features Jimmy Somemerville and it's a song in which Oliver openly talks about how he's been living with HIV since he was seventeen years old. So we get into that as well. I'm not gonna say anymore than that because I've got one thing that I've just quick like to plug. We don't do many parties at Loud and Quiet anymore, but we are hosting a special party with Village Underground. They're celebrating fifteen years of their venue here in London, and we've got a show on the nineteenth of September. There's a link in the show notes to this episode that will get you ten percent off tickets. Tickets are only thirteen pounds anyway. We've got theon cross Playing, Donnad Thompson and Lunch Money Life, all incredible artists doing different things with jazz and rock and experimental music. All the information is in that link in the show notes. Hopefully I'll see some of you there right then, here is Oliver sim talking mainly about his new album Hideous Bastard. I employ you to check it out. It's an amazing record and it comes out this Friday on the ninth of September. This episode of Midnight Chats is supported by London South Bank Center, who have so much coming up in that autumn season it's hard to know where to start, but here are two events that look particularly special. Lorraine James will be performing live at the Queen Elizabeth Hall on October the second with the London Contemporary Orchestra for My Money. Lorraine is one of our best electronic musicians and if you haven't seen her live yet, she is incredible even when she's on her own, So this is going to be a very special show where she will be performing an homage to the New York composer Julius Eastman with the LCO or perhaps an evening with Nick Cave is more up your Street as part of London Literature Festival. Here be in conversation at the south Bank Center on October the twenty seventh with Sean O'Hagan, as the pair discussed their new book Faith, Hope and Carnage. Tickets for both of those events can be found at Southbankcentre dot co dot uk, but I've also linked to both of them in the show notes of this episode. As I say, there's plenty more going on at the south Bank this autumn, including Christine and the Queens, Janeweaver and a late nighter with the excellent Snapped Ankles. Visit Southbank Center dot co dot uk and thank you once again to them for supporting this episode of Midnight Chats.
Speaker 1: So today marks it is two weeks until the album comes out, and it's come about really quickly. From like feeling like it was ages away, it's now pretty much here and I feel so conflicted because I'm like, I want, I want it out. I want it out right now. Also I don't want it out. It's like releasing records just comes like there is like a faint air of sadness. I like, right now that it's my option to play it to people right and I have ownership, and like, realistically, I can't change anything. It's like the vinyls are printed, it's done, ready to go. Yeah, but in the back of my head, I still kind of could change things.
Speaker 2: Have you stopped listening to it for that reason? Because I would stop listening to it at this point myself.
Speaker 1: It takes years to get to that point though. Like the our first album with the XX had its tenth Anniverse three a few years back, we had like a playback and listening to it then was one of the first time ten years later that I was like, I wasn't critiquing it. I wasn't like, oh I've changed that. I wouldn't do that, and I was able to like switch off and actually listen to it. What do you think of their record now? It's nice to listen to it. It's I think we sound like babies. I think because we were babies, we really were, And it's it's it's fun to listen to it because I'm like, oh, I wouldn't make that choice today. Oh, I like, I don't understand that choice or where that went there in a nice way, it's it's it is a time in our lives that it's just like cemented and encapsulated, which is really nice.
Speaker 2: So two weeks till the new record, do you think the anxiety is just going to ramp up until release day?
Speaker 1: I'm keeping busy. I'm keeping really busy. I'm like, it's it's different because normally, like I do have Ronny and Jamie tellin on, but this is my record. I see what there were so many feelings of just like naivety, Like I've been doing this for quite a long time, but like there is a naivety and just like an unknown that's really nice to feel.
Speaker 2: Again, do you mean just in the sense of like not having Jamie and Rommy to there with doing it yourself on your own like that that whole thing kind of it just it reminds me of that first record because it's like I we didn't know, we didn't know how that it was going to be received, where it was going to take us, and like I've definitely my enthusiasm for the XX has only grown, but it changes record from record of like, well, you know, you have this other piece of work behind you to like support you, and I don't have that. This is this is my first record on my own and it's scary, but it's exciting. It's it's I feel like I'm like reconnecting with like teenage feelings, which is always nice to feel. Yeah, that's quite nice, isn't I kind of I speak about this. I tend to speak about this a lot on the podcast as I go through my midlife crisis. I tend to talk a lot with artists about kind of missing that teenage kind of horrible but nice feeling of that those teenage anxieties that you had, like you kind of start to miss them when there's enough distance between them happening and where you are now.
Speaker 1: The drama.
Speaker 3: The drama is like, yeah, I'm thinking about like I've always had like a wild imagination, but like the drama, especially around romance of like I could take the smallest like morsel of like potential of romance that could feed my imagination for like.
Speaker 1: A year, all just like months. Yeah, I missed that drama.
Speaker 2: Have the other two given you any sort of tips because they've obviously released solo albums and solo work.
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Have they kind of been coaching you through this period or have they just said, Oliver, you're on your own, We've been there.
Speaker 1: No, they're there, and then that Jamie's just Jamie's too like cool for school sometimes and he's just but he's also invested, like he I made this record with it, so he's like very invested. But I don't know, Like Rommy's finishing her record at the moment, and we've been kind of like coaching each other through it and like the whole though she didn't work on this record, she's like been by my side the whole time and like playing each other what we've been doing, which has been great. And like Rommie, I've known since I was three years old. We've done like nursery, primary school, secondary school, sixth form. We've had a career together there and I love her, I support her, I celebrate her. But there is a part of me that is just like pure sibling. When she does well, there is nothing more like a greater source of energy of just like so when we've been like meeting actually playing me a song, I'm like, damn, that's good.
Speaker 2: Damn I've got to like I've got I've got to go one better.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: One thing I love about the XX and you three is how tight you still are, like you know, because you have been doing this as you say, for a while now. Just had the tenth anniversary of the of the debut, and but you know, Jamie produced this album with you. You work, you contribute to each other's solo material and have done since you started doing bits and pieces each and I think that's quite rare. You know, maybe it just maybe it does come down to the fact that you and Rommy, you know, I've known each other since you were three, and that's like a bond that is unbreakable in certain ways. But is there like a secret, like I kind of see you as like that This is how bands should This is the ideal situation. You know, your your you make records when you want to, you don't rush them, you but you you know, in those periods it's obviously very intense and touring and all of that sort of stuff, and that sort of thing is normally what breaks bands up, even if they've got really close friends. In some siblings can't you know, be in bands with each other and it kind of ruins their relationships. But you three seem to have this relationship that is constantly getting stronger, if you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: I wish I don't know what the secret is that we've definitely had moment. I get why tour is the one that breaks is the part that breaks people, because it's it's the it's the being around each other when it's not necessarily our choice, like it's it's we're just constantly with each other, and it takes away that, you know, I've decided to hang out with you. We are just together twenty four to seven. But it's I don't know, it's just never really those scales between like being friends and colleagues have never like tilted the wrong way. I wish, I wish I had tips and secrets, but it is it is actually fairly easy for the most part. Like I still love them and I still see them out of toys, just to be friends, no music involved.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I remember when Crystallized first came out and I interviewed you were a four piece, then it was one. I like to say it was your first interview. I've been dining out on this ever since two thousand and nine, but it was so exciting to watch your band kind of grow and and kind of just then almost not overnight, but I remember it just suddenly stepping up a notch because we put on a show. I co hosted a show that you guys played with Little Boots DJ. It was in a basement, I'm sure I remember this, but it was in like a weird part of town here in London. It was in like ELL's Court under there's a cafe over there and Troubadour, the.
Speaker 1: Troubadoor Theoretical Girl. Yes we're playing, Yes I do. I do remember very well that that show was the first time we played Crystallized. We just we just wrote it like that week that's trying it out.
Speaker 2: It was the first time I'd seen I saw you. It was then and the first time I heard the first time, very first time I saw he was me and Sasha and I and who were putting on the night we came watching the sound check, and I remember the three of us clapped at the end of the sound check, which I have since learned one does not do. But we were like just like mesmerized by and we were particularly mesmerized by like Jamie at his MPC going and we are like wow, and and I remember that. I'm really distinctly remember that night, and I remember that, and it was at a time when when you know, it was kind of bubbling up for you, and like you were playing a lot of shows around town, I think, and then maybe I saw you like a couple of times since then, but I remember then all of a sudden, I saw you at Prima Era Sound playing on like the Amphitheater ray Band stage, which felt like maybe the distance between those two shows is a much longer than I then. I know that I am recalling, but it was suddenly like, oh wow, like this is this is a They're absolutely huge one. The Mercury and all that sort of stuff. I mean, so much has happened since then and now, and like I could sit here and bombard you with a million questions about all that stuff. But we should talk about the album because I've heard the album. I've listened to it a lot. It's I think it's brilliant. I've also watched the film. I saw the film yesterday, so I've got some things to ask you about that. But let's talk. Let's start. I guess with Hideous, the track that essentially announced the album, extremely personal track for you. It's I suppose what I wanted to ask you about that was like, it's probably frightening enough for you to be in this successful group and be doing your first solo album and be doing that is kind of a you know, a big thing in and of itself. But for you to come out with the track you did that openly talks about your HIV status in the way that it does. I mean that takes it to a whole new kind of level. My two questions on it, really one is how did you feel the day that was coming out? Can you take me back to how you you knew that was going to be sent out by the label and that was going to be a story from like music, press and stuff. How did you How did you feel?
Speaker 1: I fell? So I was in can I was at Camp Film Festival, and I was like busy doing a day of press and I remember it was went out at three and I was doing an interview from I think like two thirty to three thirty, which was perfect, great, which was perfect and minute. I wasn't like gleed to my phone or anything. But it it was uncomfortable. It was uncomfortable. And like I've had like moments of this has been as a general thing, like been very liberating, but it hasn't been you know, I've had very few. No, I don't think I've had any moments that I just like flipping a switch of Oh, I suddenly feel so much lighter, I feel liberated, I feel free air and everything like that has been slow burn. And you know I've I've made I've made an album about fear and shame and not to to liberate myself. You know it sounds quite heavy on paper, but you know I've written about these things not to beat myself up, but to air them out. And when I when I first wrote Hideous, it was such a fuck it moment of I was at a point in my life life where I would say most of the key people in my life knew about my status, but some people didn't know. A lot of people knew in a way of I told them one time and then I'd put like a subliminal, like invisible force field around it of like that's done. We've talked about that. Now we don't talk about it again. And me putting it in a song was quite a drastic thing considering where I was in my life, because it's much easier for me to be honest in songwriting than it is in a conversation, because there is no I don't have to be in the room when somebody listens to this, I don't have to look at them in the eye. There's no back and forth like Songwriting's just a conversation with myself. And when I decided to put my HIV status in the song, you know it's it's at the end of the song, because that's the moment where you know I'd pretty much written a song. I was like, should I do this? Should I do this? Okay, fine, yeah, put checking it at the end. Rad gonesty, Mike, scept me free if it makes me Idio been living with the Javy since seven c Namma idiom and I played the song to Jamie and the second person I played it to was my mom. And my mom my mom knows me, she knows me, and she was like, this is drastic, This is drastic, and how about some baby steps first? How about you start having conversations And that's just not what I wanted to do. And that's not what I wanted to do.
Speaker 2: Were you like, well, Mom, put it in a song, which I don't want to have the conversation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let me have the drama. I don't know, but I did start having these conversations with my nearest and dearest and they were super uncomfortable to begin with, but I started to have Like each one I had, it became a little less heavy, and I started working my way out of my like inner circle. I started meeting new people, collaborators and sharing the music with them, and then I started making a film where I was playing Hideous in front of loads of people I didn't know, and like my way of dealing with my status or just like things I felt ashamed of in general, is just like control. I know exact actually who I've told them, what I've told and it was just like a really stressful way to be And each one of these conversations was a bit of letting go of control. And then before I knew, I was speaking to journalists, and by the time I released Hideous, it didn't feel like a Catholic guarded secret. Sure I didn't have control over it anymore. It was kind of out in the world.
Speaker 2: Helps the reaction to it being.
Speaker 1: It has been good, and it's been really good. I have I've kind of avoided doing a deep dive, especially into my messages on social media, not because I'm scared of seeing anything negative, but more I think this is like a really beautiful thing and I love it. But you know, when you share something personal, it kind of opens the door for somebody to share something personal back, and I it makes me scared because I am not necessarily equipped to deal. Like I'm a musician, I'm not a trained healthcare professional and I don't want to pretend to be one. But I love it, like meeting I've played a few shows and meeting people outside of the shows and has been amazing. But it does it does make me. It can be overwhelming.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Jimmy Summervill is on the track. Yeah, how does that come about? Is it true that you send him a message? Just an un solicited message, like how do you get how do you get to know Jimmy Summerville?
Speaker 1: So I you know, I talk about like being like a new artist and things. Thankfully for the XX, like a few doors are open and I was able to get hold of like people's email addresses and phone numbers. But I think like one thing that's been on my agenda with this record was like I want to make some friends. Yeah, I want to make some friends, Like I love Ronny and I love Jamie, but being in a band with my two best mates has given me the perfect excuse, like excuse of I don't need to talk to anybody?
Speaker 2: Yes, are you when you get when you're at a party together? Do you just stick with them? Historically?
Speaker 1: Would you?
Speaker 2: Would you be like, I don't need to go over to that side of the room because we're here and that's the same. That's that's me at a wedding.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, that that's that's me. I'm I am My friends make fun of me. Of Like, if I get an invite to go somewhere, my first question would be who's going to be then, of like making sure it's people I know, because I don't want to be overwhelmed by new people. But I was like, I need to make some friends. Like Ronny and Jamie are fantastic, but they can't be my only two people. And I want to sit not only just like musical friends, but like queer musicians, especially like older that I keep saying, I will not use that word more experienced musicians. And Jimmy was kind of like top of my list?
Speaker 2: Were you a fat just a fan of his?
Speaker 1: I was a fan of his. You know, he's just a voice that's just always been around. And I think for most people that they know that voice, and I don't remember the first time I heard it, but then like growing up and really getting to know and appreciate everything he's done and everything he represents, not not not just around HIV and AIDS, but for queer people and even more just like people that just feel a bit removed and feel a bit other I see. I've always seen him as like a beacon, and my like reaching out to him was nothing more than like a fanboy of high mister Somerville. My name's Oliver, I'm in a band, huge fan. I didn't, and he messaged back, and did.
Speaker 2: You say to him in that first message, I'd like to work with you or you? Just just seeing if he was going to respond?
Speaker 1: I didn't. I didn't. I I had it in the back of my head. Yeah I hadn't.
Speaker 2: You didn't say I'm in a band, but I need some new friends.
Speaker 1: I think that would have been too desperate, too desperate be my mate?
Speaker 2: Will you be my friend?
Speaker 1: Will you be my project? Line?
Speaker 2: Will you be my friend?
Speaker 1: Maybe that's a good approach, Maybe I should take that going forward, But no, I didn't. I didn't mention working together, and I just wanted to get to know him.
Speaker 2: And he was open to it.
Speaker 1: That's amazing, it's really open to it.
Speaker 2: I mean, because that could have gone another way, you know.
Speaker 1: But that's the thing I've realized is, like I've reached out to quite a few people. For the most part, people are up for hearing that you're a fan of theirs and and are out for chatting, and you know, that anxious voice might be like, don't do it and stay at home, don't speak to anyone, but but people people, Most of the people I reached out to one did. But yeah, Jimmy. Jimmy became like a real pen pal through lockdown for quite a few months before I was able to like drive down to the seaside where he lives and visit him and then start talking about working together.
Speaker 2: And You're like, can you be on my track? Did I read a quote from you about Jimmy saying that he taught you to not take yourself too seriously?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: What do you mean by that?
Speaker 1: He is He's quite a silly man, And that's maybe not the best way of putting it. But it's a common thread that I've noticed from my like getting reaching out and Pempau relationships like Jimmy Elton ANNONI John Grant. I think the common thread is just like a certain type of sense of humor, which is.
Speaker 2: I can imagine Jimmy. I don't know him at all, I've never met him, but I can imagine him and Elton John getting on quite well. Are they similar a similar? They're the characters.
Speaker 1: They they similar in terms of like that sense of humor and that also like they're both like massive fans of stuff, which I think is really cool.
Speaker 2: And you definitely get that from Elton, don't you Like he is he.
Speaker 1: Is the most interested in like new music and what is happening then the rest of my mates. I say that, especially like even the ones in their twenties. And that's what I want to be. Yeah, when I'm in my seventies, I want that enthusiasm for like seeking out new music and supporting it.
Speaker 2: So I watched Hideous the film yesterday. I got sent a link to it. Well, it opened at Canned, isn't it. So that's that's when you were. That was when the track came out. You you were there for the for the premiere.
Speaker 1: I guess I was there.
Speaker 2: How how was caned?
Speaker 1: First of all, can is a place I never thought I would be at professionally, so it was wild, but it's it's a weird place.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've see I've heard this. I've heard that because I've got I suppose, like a lot of people that haven't been like myself, we've got this idea of can which is like old Hollywood arriving on a speedboat, scarfs and big sunglasses and being very glamorous, essentially like a Monte Carlo vibe. Yeah, but it's not that.
Speaker 1: It's that it's kind of side by side with socks and sandals. Okay, so like at two am, it's like the wasted people are like socks and sandals and then people in like full chu or right. But it's not it's not just I suppose just the glamour. Everyone is interested in films. It's like you're meeting people at like parties at two am and they're like, oh, well, I'm waking up at in like four hours time to go into a screening at eight am, which I wasn't expecting. I thought it was all going to be for sad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that sounds like it's more kind of engaged than the music industry, and in a sense of my experience in the music industry, like because you know, I guess an equivalent, like you go to Glastonbury and most people spend a lot of time almost bragging about how little music you know what I mean, Like people go to Glass to me and they just walk and say, oh, no, no, I've not seen anything on the Pyramid stage today, or oh I've hardly seen anything I've been over here, or I've been talking discern So oras this sounds like the opposite that, like we're here because we love film and we want to go and that's why we're here, and we'll do the party. Sure we're going to get wrecked, but I do have to get up because I have to go to that thing because I want to go to that thing.
Speaker 1: Definitely was a dedication that I wasn't expecting. I think the thing, I mean, I don't know why that, Like I think it's because of the glamour, the grammar. You know, Custombury doesn't have that excuse. But it was wild and like to play the film there, you know when I talked when I talk about like things the lead up to Hideous that the day before we released it, we had premiered the film. I didn't know a single person other than my people in that screening, and that was kind of like her like the final it is out there.
Speaker 2: So hey, So when you're at the screen because I'm quite fast, because I'd love to be in the film world in a way. Yeah, the when you're at the screening, is it one of those situations where you introduce the film? Does the director introduce it? Is there a round of applause at the end. There's a lot of questions here on there. Do you have to sit? Do you sit like in a prominent position where other people can see you? What's the deal?
Speaker 1: So it is, so we did introduce the film, me, the director and some of the cast, and mister Jimmy x X him up on stage reluctantly, really reluctantly. I'd drag him because he's in the film. And then you sit down and I was I think were like five rows from the front. And and the talking I find hard because I just I find it, this is the hard thing about even things like this of like over talking. I find it such a bony killer. Sometimes when I hear artists talking about their craft or talking about their process, it's just so unattractive and I don't want to be that person. But we introduced step and we got a standing innovation for quite a few minutes, which was incredible, but like attacked the core like britishness of me. Do you know that feeling at your birthday party of just like but it was more extreme and it's like do you for yourself? Do you clap for the the people that were part of it, or do you just do one of those bounds? But and then we kind of like scooted out and went to a party.
Speaker 2: Did you were you okay with watching yourself up there? Like what like seeing yourself on the screen because you know, you're you're the star of it, You're you're in it.
Speaker 1: It is so I spent half the film in prosthetics, under like three inches of prosthetics, and that was so much fun to do. Like that's fulfilling all of my like childhood dreams of like like I grew up watching like Buffy the Vampire Slayer and I've always been a big does look.
Speaker 2: Buff the make Yeah, the prosthetics, I can see.
Speaker 1: That they were my Like that was like my reference point.
Speaker 2: Sure, okay, yeah that makes sense because I was watching yesday thinking what does this remind me? Of of and that is what it reminds me.
Speaker 1: Of the best, And like going to like the prosthetics studio, and like being covered in I don't know what you'd call it, having the molds taken. I loved every minute of that and being able to wear that allowed me to do so many things I wouldn't normally allow myself to do. And playing like big parts, like killing lots of people like I do in this film. Fantastic, so much fun, the big the big brushstrokes of like villainous fun things great, the more earnest moments. Not wearing prosthetics so so much harder. But you're really good in it, Thank you.
Speaker 2: And that that beginning section before before I don't already want to spoil it. I don't want to say too much to ruin it for people because it's going to be shown on movie.
Speaker 1: Isn't it.
Speaker 2: But the bit before the the mask bit when you're in an interview chair, the black and white part, it's so subtle, like and you when when you can't hear hear what you're talking, you can as subtitles in there. I am giving too much way here, but just your mannerisms and there certain looks where I really felt for you. And at that point, because that's the beginning of the film, I didn't know what was going to have and it takes a massive left turn, but at that point I was like, wow, like it's it's brilliant, Like that part of the acting I just thought was so good. And there's one moment where you do a glance a very Norman Baits look, which is amazing, Like had you acted before? Like is this was this all like just let's just try and act and see what happens?
Speaker 1: Or I did? I did?
Speaker 2: Do you do a bit drama?
Speaker 1: No? No, I was not that kid. Okay, I was not that kid, but I did like lessons and the lead up to it. But it's it's this is just like something I've really wanted to bring some like showmanship to this. Yeah, Like I feel like I've made something that is confessional and I have been honest, but I don't want to present it in a like overly earnest package like I have. I've always had a relationship with like fantasy. Ye, that is what excites me, and I think fantasy can be just as meaningful as anything that like has documentary film, And that's why I love horror. Horror taught me so much about the world and it's and it's fun. I did like if I was to pair this album though, I think there's like fans. I brought fantasy into the music. But if I was to pair it with a visual that was like raw and real, that would have been so boring. It would have been so boring. And I know the way that I digest things. When something is shouting at me, to feel a certain way like this is real, this is me at my baresss and straight back, my automatic reaction will always be bullshit, No it's not, why are you screaming at me? I can work this out for myself. So I wanted. I wanted to push myself to like have some showmanship to make this fantastical. I don't think that would dilute and dilute this for a listener or a viewer, And if anything, I think there's more capacity to do it.
Speaker 2: What horror films are your favorites? You grew up watching horror, like that's an old time passion for you. Yeah, what, what's what your all time classic horror films?
Speaker 1: It's hard to pick.
Speaker 2: Do you like the do you like the the gory stuff or the kind of more psychological I.
Speaker 1: Enjoy some of the gore I enjoy. The thing that draws me to horror is like I'm on paper, it doesn't make sense that I do, because I'm quite I've always been quite fearful. I was quite scared kid, but horror doesn't scare me necessarily. The thing that drew me to horror was just like characters, right, and the scream queens that the women like buffer the vampires later that it's not really horror, or Sigourney Weaver and I talk about this in the film, or Jamie Lee Curtis. They were like the I'm in that. When I was a kid, I was like, that's what I want to be because they were they were feminine and they were beautiful, but they were also like angry and they were the final girls. I loved them, and I loved the monsters. I loved the villains. I loved Patrick Bateman, I love Norman Bates, Buffalo Bill because again, they were so much more exciting and relatable to me. It's like, now there's like a trend and cinema of making films about the origin stories behind the villains, because it's fascinating, and it's like they're not doing that for the action heroes or the Disney princes, because the question of like, how did you get so brave and charming and kind boring? Who the fuck cares? It's just like, I want to know where you got what fucked you are? I want to know how you ended up so twisted. And those characters were the ones that were being cast away for being hideous in some way. And I think those characters that I mentioned all to me had like a repressed quinness to them, especially Baits, especially Baits.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I remember the first time I saw Psycho because I studied film at a level and then at university and I watched it at a level and it's still quite it's like Psycho and I would so I would have been sixteen when I first watched it, and I kind of just thought, well, this isn't going to bother me in any way. It's like an old black and white film. It's clearly less set, you know, like you know, like growing up in the nineties. I was like, Wow, this is all very fake, and I was pretty petrified, especially.
Speaker 1: Of what context did you watch it in? Was it like a sleepover is it.
Speaker 2: Just watched it home on my own, so I think that was it. I was like, suddenly I felt very alone a bit where spoiler alert where he runs out of you know that shot from the hallway on the top of the stairs he runs out with the with when you're just with a wig on the back of it and you stabs the guy and you're.
Speaker 1: Like horrifying, really really scary.
Speaker 2: I think it's amazing. It's something so kind of I mean, that's what obviously what I hitched cocks of a classic, but something that classic can still have an impact like now, Like I think if I watched it now as a fifteen or sixteen year old, I'd probably still be just as creeped out by the whole thing.
Speaker 1: That's that is. I talk about horror not scaring me, but that's one of the films that scares me. And also it's it's again spoiler alert, but it's just so open ended of you know, ending with that kind of monologue of you know, I wouldn't.
Speaker 2: And then he does the look and that's the look.
Speaker 1: There is something about that that you know, look of. I just learned these words recently Louche and Rakish of just like presenting yourself beautifully, but if you look closer, the devil is behind the person's eyes. There is something so attractive, There's something if I would just like describe my type. That's so Do you.
Speaker 2: Think you're gonna as it made you want to make more films or act in more films?
Speaker 1: I would love two still have a like relationship with film in terms of like whatever that might be of Do you want some music, I'd love to be a part of that. Do you need to like a villain, a cameo, a monster, I'd love to be a part of That's it just excites me so much, And I've tried to lean into as much like film in how I've like even just like put out this record in terms of just like the merchandising of like the rollout of film is so much more fun than music. But yeah, I would love to I've definitely made a lot of friends through this, but.
Speaker 2: That was top of your list of things to do and get more friends, get more For previous episodes of Midnight Chat, simply search your podcast app and don't forget to follow or subscribe in order to receive new episodes. Has that published every week at Midnight. For more information on the music magazine that makes this series, visit Loud and Quiet dot com.
Speaker 1: Anyway, good night.
Speaker 4: Looking for some fun. Let scratchers lead the way. Countless waste to scratch, Come join the play instead of keys? What can you find? Think of something fun? Leave the coins behind, grab your guitar, hold the pig tight scratches your shrum, left the rhythm ag night with your drumsticks with a solo so great, or play the scratches on the turntable, scratch and rotate. So get creative and find you playful. Waste to scratch scratchers from the California Lottery. A little play can make your day. Please play responsibly. Must be eighteen years or older to purchase play or claim.
Speaker 5: Do you ever feel like money is just flying out of your account and you have no idea where it's going. Well, I know it's all of those subscriptions. I use rocket Money to help me find out what subscriptions I'm actually spending money on, and I have them canceled, the ones I didn't want anymore. Rocket Money is a personal finance app that finds and cancels your unwanted subscriptions. Monitors you're spending and helps lower your bills. Rocket money has over five million users and has helped save its members an average of seven hundred and twenty dollars a year with over five hundred million dollars in cancel subscriptions. Stop wasting money on things you don't use. Cancel your unwanted subscriptions by going to rocket money dot com slash pod twenty four. That's rocket money dot com slash pod twenty four. Rocket money dot com slash pod twenty four.
Speaker 2: Have you ever googled your own name? Prepare for a shock because your personal info, including addresses and phone numbers, is all out there. It's all harvested by data brokers and sold legally. Aura is a personal digital security service that scans the Internet for your sensitive information and provides a full suite of privacy enhancing tools. For a limited time, Aura is offering listeners a fourteen day free trial at Aura dot com slash safety. That's Aura dot com slash safety to learn more and activate the fourteen day trial period