Speaker 1: Hi, I'm Molly John Fast and this is Fast Politics, where we discussed the top political headlines with some of today's best minds, and Donald Trump says there could be a little economic disruption. We have such a great show for you today. We have the Lincoln Projects own Rick Wilson talking about the infighting in Trump's White House.
Speaker 2: Plus we'll have a bonus from our YouTube channel where Molly interviews American Federation with Teachers President Randy Weingarten about Trump's attacks on teachers.
Speaker 1: Then we'll talk to Amanda Zarowski about the consequences, the life threatening consequences of Texas's strict abortion bans, even in the case of an inevitable miscarriage.
Speaker 2: But first the news, So Malli, Trump will not resume Ukraine military aid after just signing an order to send many billions more of military aid to Israel. So this whole Trump's a peaceful president compared to the Democrats. It's a little silly, I think again.
Speaker 1: The point here is that he did not use Congress. Congress is supposed to do this, right. Donald Trump is not supposed to decide where the money goes. He's not a king, right, Kings decide where the money goes. He and his top aids are claiming credit for a massive weapon deal with the Biden administration's approval in its final days. They're saying that that was them. In announcing the latest deal that skirted congressional review, the Secretary of State Marco Rubio claimed that the US administration had approved nearly twelve billion in new weapons to Israel just six weeks into Trump's second term. Now look again with all of this, what you see is Donald Trump not using the channels he's supposed to, right, not legislating, picking the winners and the losers, right, deciding that weapons will go to Israel and weapons won't go to Ukraine. This is not how any of this is supposed to work. Congress is supposed to allocate funds, Congress is suppose to decide where weapons go. Congress should have the power of the purse, not Donald Trump. What Donald Trump has done, and this was part of Project twenty twenty five, We talked about this a lot. What he did was he decided that, you know, the brain trust, and some of these people are quite smart, which is how we got here in the Heritage Foundation universe, decided that they would use this congressional impoundment, and they would dole out the dollars, not as how Congress tells them to do it, but how they wanted to do it. And this was something Nixon did and there was legislation passed after Nixon to prevent this from happening again. And Donald Trump would really like to bring this to the Supreme Court because he can do math and he thinks that he has a six to three Supreme Court, which on a lot of things he has. And the question I think we're going to see more of is does he have a six to three Supreme Court, which he very much might, or does he have more of a five to four Supreme Court. Justice Roberts and Justice Barrett. Are they maybe knocking a rubber stamp everything Donald Trump does, because we know Gorsicic and keg stand Kavanaugh will sign out on anything. Alito and Thomas they're basically Fox News hosts at this point. So the question really is will the sort of two sane conservatives and that, by the way, it's all relative, will they say that Donald Trump cannot be a king? And the answer is none of.
Speaker 3: Us know, nope.
Speaker 2: Speaking of his king like aggressions of silence, saying everyone he disagrees with CBS is pushing back against him in a lawsuit.
Speaker 1: We should all be thrilled that there are some iota of bravery. One of the worse things to happen to American democracy since Jim Crow is the billionaires who immediately when Trump came into office again just rolled over and decided they were going to do whatever he said. Were some media outlets that did that too. But the good news, and this is actually really important because every time someone stands up to Trump, Trump gets weaker, and every time someone rolls over to Trump, Trump gets stronger. And so here we have Paramount CBS's para company filing two motions on Thursday. By the way, part of these lawsuits is just to scare people, to silence them, to get them afraid, to make them think that somehow they are going to be able to control the media, control the narrative. So this is very good. They're going to push back. They're probably going to win, because this is how the first amenent works, unless they repeal the New York Times VI Sullivant, which we're not going to talk about right now.
Speaker 2: No, but I will tell you what we will talk about two weeks ago, we had Governor Walls on our debut on YouTube and started a conversation about some of the things that he did not think We're done well on the presidential campaign he was part of. And he's continued that conversation as some interesting things to say.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so Walls, I really like Walls, and we have been a bit friendly and I've talked to him and I think that he is in the most genteel way he possibly can, trying to push back against some of the things that made Harris and again Harris one hundred days. None of this is on Harris, and a lot of this is the legacy of Biden world and made Biden lose and made Biden's pulling so bad. Part of it was the consulting class around Biden and later Harris is terrified of doing anything because they are incentivized to just do nothing, which is why they lose. So Walls said something hardly controversial, We shouldn't have played this thing so safe, one hundred percent true. Anyone in the world would say this. In fact, they were scared of their own shadow. They didn't push back against any of the lies. And so while Donald Trump was running these ads that said crazy stuff that wasn't true. Voters were you know, they didn't. There was no pushback, so they just went along with it. They believed it. But I think the worst part of this story is that in a statement, a Harris advisor granted anonymity to speak candidly. Okay, this person is given anonymity, okay, so they are not identified to speak candidly in their candid speaking, they say, And by the way, no one should get fucking anonymity for something that stupid. It's like a press release. In the shortest presidential campaign and modern history, Vice President Harrison Governor Walls put forward a vision of the future that prioritized the health, safety, and prosperity of the American people. She is proud to have chosen Governor Walls as her running mate and earned the vote of seventy five million Americans. This is why Democrats lose. Why would you need anonymity for this? Sign your fucking name. Okay, I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: I think I could tell you why they need anonimity for it, because this is exactly the type of shit that made them and not have a good message.
Speaker 3: Yeah, weak, bullshit.
Speaker 1: Week, bullshit baby week, bullshit. You don't need anonymity for a press release. You're welcome, Somali.
Speaker 2: If I was the editor of a news organization, one of the first things I would just do is, as I would listen to Trump to a State of the Union speech, I would just assign a fact check to each of his things, because you're just gonna win the day. Would you dig a little deeper on the bullshit examples they use of all the things that are rotting America that mister Trump complains about. And I'm going to shock you, but where there's smoke, there's fire.
Speaker 1: Speak for yourself. Baby. This is like when I saw that poor kid with cancer and they were like, this is DJ Daniel. DJ Daniels, a thirteen year old from Texas with diagnosed with brain cancer. By the way, and this is like my thing with Elon right. They're cut letting children's cancer research. This is what they're doing. So here we go. Trump honored a cancer survivor. You'll be shocked to hear the boys doctors now face his budget cuts. Okay, the medical school faculty that helped treat him facing potentially devastating federal funding cuts. Of course they are, because that is like peque Donald Trump, right, they honor the kid, They're like, we want to honor you DJ and also make it impossible for kids here. So this is Baylor College of Medicine, famous Texas University. They are cutting Texas Children's Hospital. That the hematology center is going to face budget cuts. By the way, you'll be shocked to hear that. They are also cutting EPA right, the Environmental defense right. So they are cutting the government agencies that keep cancer causing chemicals out of the water. They're cutting that too. So here's what's going to happen. More childhood cancer, you know, more kids getting cancer, less kids getting treatment for cancer, and all to pay for a tax cut for Elon Musk. Rick Wilson is the founder of the Lincoln Project and the host of the Enemy's List, Welcome Back, Too Fast Politics.
Speaker 3: Rick Wilson, Lollie junk Fast. How are you this fine day?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 1: Just live in the dream. So I want to talk about the recession.
Speaker 3: That we're now.
Speaker 1: I mean, you know, it was a tumultuous week.
Speaker 3: For the Could you speak more precise please, It's the Biden session. It was all his fault. He secretly still controls every aspect of government and Joe Biden launched an insane trade war. I mean, and no one would have thought to do that except the demonic mastermind of the deep state, Joe Biden.
Speaker 1: I mean, We're down such a fucking rabbit hole. I don't even know. Like, I feel like the one bright spot is Marco fighting with Elon fighting Wisdy Bannon. Like everything is bad except that that is kind of fun.
Speaker 3: You know, stupid people do stupid things to other stupid people.
Speaker 1: I don't think Steve Bannon is stupid.
Speaker 3: Oh no, no, no, no. What I'm saying is right now. Trump has a symbol a cabinet of people who are not, as they say, being sent by the best. Yes, and most of these people. Look, I will say this having known Marco, Marco is not stupid now, but he has put himself in a situation where he is governed by a stupid man.
Speaker 1: And it's unwinnable.
Speaker 3: Right. There is no circumstance where Marco wakes up in the morning and says, Okay, I have control over my department. If Elon wakes up with a heart on one day goes I'm going to cut out all you know, all diplomatic efforts in Africa or whatever, he says. You know, yeah, the stupidity level is is rocking. I want you to have only air trafficking is only from my tea, their genesus.
Speaker 1: So basically what we have here is big reporting from the New York Times on Thursday. By the way, like I understand that a lot of people are mad at the New York Times for any number of reasons, and I get it, and I'm not saying that you can't be mad at them, but this reporting is unrecking believable, and we wouldn't have it if it weren't for people like Maggie and Swann who know how to do this.
Speaker 3: Look, the idea that every story in The New York Times has to conform to the fantasy of the resistance is wrong, And the fact is that vital reporting is going to come out.
Speaker 1: And we need this right in part.
Speaker 3: Because people like Jonathan and Maggie and others from the Times and elsewhere go and do the ass kissing and the sucking up and the horrible shit you have to do to function in that world. And while I don't love all of it.
Speaker 1: It's keeping democracy going. Knowing what's happening in the government.
Speaker 3: Now. We might not know that as much with Jeff Bezos's Weekly, you know, Tiger Beat for Donald Trump stuff.
Speaker 1: But the Washington Post still does really good at reporting and pro publica.
Speaker 3: Oh look, listen, listen. I will say this, and I say there's literally a couple hours ago to somebody. Look, the Post still has a lot of good reporters. Is in a bad spot right now.
Speaker 1: But they're doing good reporting. I mean, it's just the editorial page is going to be I mean, this is like the problem with the Wall Street Journal too, right. The reporting in the Wall Street Journal is second to none. The editorial page has brainworms, and that's what we're going to have at the Washington Post.
Speaker 3: Probably, yes, brainworms, is it?
Speaker 1: The thing that's interesting about the Wall Street Journal editorial page is when they don't rubber stand trump Ism, you're kind of shocked, right, So when they're like, maybe we shouldn't go to war with Canada, I think this is a very kind of scary moment. I mean, in my mind, like one party is completely untethered to reality and is just going along with whatever Donald Trump wants. And you know, he is an Autocrat, and what he wants is no checks and balances for him, and you know he's being aided by the richest man of the world. It's not a great moment.
Speaker 3: No, it's not a great moment. There are tensions in that moment. There are uglinesses in that moment. And do I wish we had more people who could fight it. Yeah, of course, but right now we really don't, and so we have to fight with the army we've got, not the one we want at the.
Speaker 1: Moment, right I mean, the good news is if we're gonna like go for good news, which I happen to have. You know, I always think about, like what are my biases, And one of my biases is that I like good news. One of the pieces of good news that we have is that this crew does not get along super well with each other.
Speaker 3: Imagine how that could have been.
Speaker 1: And we saw this in trump one point. Oh you know, part of trump Ism is making the people around you fight. The good news is that that is an unsustainable model.
Speaker 3: Look the degree to which Trump's people have always eaten one another. It occurs not only because he picks terrible people, but because that's what he wants. He enjoys watching them carry other part right, he loves Fight Club, he loves he loves Marco and Elon Scrapping and Sean Duffy and Elon Scrapping. Elon's problems at the moment are going to grow more pronounced over time, in part because he has been the pet for the last few months. But you can only be the pet with Trump for so long. And as rich as Elon is, Trump is beginning to sense that Elon is costing him money and political capital, and that political capital has got to be restored somehow. And Trump, as we know in the past, will sell down anybody up to and including family members.
Speaker 1: Yes, we've seen.
Speaker 3: And if you think Elon is going to get a free pass, when when? When When Jared Devaka did, Don Jingior didn't. I just I think that's a misapprehension. Now. Look, is Elon tremendously powerful inside the Trump organization and government run absolutely does does anything last forever with Trump? No, and often he often he finds people who are doing a good job and knocks them down a notch just to show them that he can.
Speaker 1: Yeah. No, I think that's right, and I think we're going to probably see a fair amount of that as we go through this and look, if you look at I always say, like, the most useful indicator of Trump two point oh is Trump one point oh. Right, so Trump one point oh. We saw a lot of things like Steve Bannon was in the Trump White House, remember.
Speaker 3: That, and then he became sloppy Steve or whatever it was. And there will be a day where Trump decides one of these guys has to go. It will be a day where where that person suddenly and Elon may be the hardest of these to do, but suddenly it's like, oh, they weren't really important. I barely knew so and so he was a coffee boy. He I guess he did a couple things in the campaign. The verb I believe is to Papadopolis.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's right, we all remember him from season one. One of the things that's so bizarre about the sad Man is that Trump has has this rule that he won't put people in the jobs they had last time, because I guess it's boring for the studio audience, But there are a ton of really competent people dying to go into that White House anyway.
Speaker 3: Well, and even some of the people that they thought were going to be normies to wit Scott Bessant have turned out to not be normies. And you know, I think best and I think that statement last week, like inexpensive goods are not part of the American dream, Well, they need to be part of the American dream. But you want to go and tell that to a middle class mom who's in Target shopping for groceries for a kid, or some are closed for a kid.
Speaker 1: What's why they elected him, right? I mean, it may not be the American dream, but it was as much as the man had a mandate, it was that to make egg prices.
Speaker 3: Cheaper exactly, and none of that stuff has transpired, and people are legitimately even in mango world. Look, it's not that they're sick of Trump. I don't think they can get sick of Trump. I think that's genetically wired into them now. But they are tired of the chaos. They don't like the noise and the uncertainty, and they don't like the sense. And I think it's a correct sense that Trump and Elon are doing things that are hurting veterans, that are hurting people out in the States, that are leading to people losing their jobs, and for all of the government is this large and complicated thing. There's a part of this that comes down to a simple fact that a certain percentage of people in government are going to be maga voters. And the idea that nobody gets hurt in.
Speaker 1: This is absurd, right, No, And the idea and I mean I don't want to like harken back to things that actually happened, but this Congress, right, we're like careening towards the government shutdown that no one seems interested in, but still is imminent, right unless they figure it out. What's happening in this government shutdown world is that they we signed a resolution that said that they're going to cut eight hundred and eighty billion dollars. The whole idea of dog is that somehow they're going to find eight hundred billion dollars of fraud somewhere and not have to cut any programs. But the reality is there's no world in which that's true.
Speaker 3: There is a fantasy in which there's eight hundred billion dollars of fraud wasted abuse hidden away in government, and those eight hundred billion dollars of fraud wasted abuse are somehow just waiting there for the taking, And it's just a lie, it's just a fantasy world.
Speaker 1: But they know this, right. I mean, like there is no way that Mike Johnson doesn't understand that there's not eight hundred billion dollars in fraud, waste and abuse. So I mean this is just a setup to be able to cut medicaid.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, look all of it, All of this is about cutting medicaid. Every bit of this is about cutting cutting Medicaid. And look, there is a really ugly underpinning to a lot of the stuff with Elon and all these weirdos of we're going to take out the useless eaters and we're going to restore government so we can pay for our tax cut, which will be a wonderland of infinite pleasures. And the problem is every day that passes with DOGE, we're learning more and more that they're not finding tens of billions of dollars of fraud. They're finding a handful of programs here and there, a.
Speaker 1: Lot of which have been cut under Bush that.
Speaker 3: Were already cut or canceled as long as ten or twelve years ago. And programs then as much as you can get like a breathless little news hit on Fox or something that mostly these things are pretty popular, or they do things that are not what the Trump world claims that they do. I mean the transgenic mice thing, you know, where I don't want to blabor it because it was so stupid. But a lot of the things that they can get, like a little microscopic Fox News outrage hit, just aren't meaningful. They just aren't real.
Speaker 1: Premise of doge is that you're going to to find this fraud, waste and abuse, right, and that in itself is not unpopular. But the problem is there isn't fraud, waste and abuse at the scale in order to make it cutting it a game changer. Now that said, if you define fraud, waste and abuse as social programs you don't like, well that's a different story, right.
Speaker 3: And look what is it they don't like. You know, we've talked about it before. It's the Willly Sutton rule. You got to go where the money is. And if they really want to have this massive set of cuts in government that lead them to the ability to fund even a fraction of this ten trillion dollar tax cut, okay, they are going to have to cut Medicare, Medicaid or social security or disability. Those are the ones where there is real money, where there is real capital to be had. But I have a feeling we may have already lost the ability on the Trump side of the equation to actually drive this giant tax cut through like they did in twenty seventeen. Oh. Interesting, people are increasingly nervous. People aren't increasingly unhappy. They are increasingly feeling like elected electeds. Yes, they're worried that they're going to go home to their district and have to say, yeah, by the way, sorry about the fact that I cut the National Park Service and there's dysentery breaking out because we've killed HHS, and there's a measles epidemic. And by the way, we're now in a recession because Trump didn't think what would happen when Elon fired five hundred thousand government employees in the Washington, DC metro area. Sorry about all that. By the way, can I just let you know I'm getting Elon, Bezos and Zuckerberg a massive tax cut because they really need it. Our struggling mom and pop billionaires really.
Speaker 1: Need But here's the question. Right, certainly we've seen some evidence this, Right, we saw this Republican last week from the NRCC saying that maybe you shouldn't hold in person town halls. And we've seen people protesting TESLA dealerships, but we haven't actually seen any set which I mean, and we're seeing protests, but we haven't actually seen trump World sort of pivot at all. Right, Like it doesn't seem like Trump understands that none of this is popular.
Speaker 3: Welly, I don't think he can. I think he is mentally incapable of changing course now. And I think he is mentally incapable of even recognizing that he is on a path that can't be sustained. Everybody knows this mentally or intellectually. But Donald Trump is not engaged in actual negotiations on anything, not on budget stuff, not on the tax cut, not on DOGE, not with Ukraine and Russia. It's all just whatever is in front of his head that moment. It's all whatever whatever is going on in Trump's brain at that second is what happens. There's nothing else there that is based on some sort of sensibility or some sort of logic or reasoning. It's just he's just making mouth noises.
Speaker 1: We talked about this in one point zero, so then game this out for me. What happens here.
Speaker 3: Well, look, I think he's already driven us into a recession or a incipient recession. I think the Mark's going to punish the last few days brutally. I think the markets they're sick of the talk about tariffs. They're sick of all the chaos. They don't love the fact that Europe, which is a stable, big, nice market for most people, is now in the shitter. They don't love the fact that we have had a huge breakdown of America's global status in the world. They don't like the fact that all this stuff in Europe is actually destabilizing the Asian markets, which are important for both supply chain and exports out. All of it is leading to the point where this long sought correction is about to pop us. And when it does, I think Trump is going to have a hard time again. I was joking about the Biden recession in the beginning of this thing, But he's going to have a hard time blaming Joe Biden and the Democrats for this, given that the last few weeks have been enough.
Speaker 4: Thing.
Speaker 3: But I am God, I am superpowered. No one can oppose me.
Speaker 1: But so do you think he backs off on tariff's.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, He's already backed off on tariff. He's already given up on tariffs. He may make mouth noises about tariffs, he may say things about tariffs, but the reality of tariffs is that every time he gets close to the ledge with those tariffs, what happens the market's going and dump off eight, nine, ten percent of their value. And that is something I don't think he can mentally or politically afford, and certainly the country can't afford.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: Rick Wilson Pally, John fass A pleasure as always.
Speaker 1: Amanda Zarowski is a reproductive rights activist known for her role in ensuing the State of Texas in Zorowski versus State of Texas. Welcome to Fast Politics, Amanda.
Speaker 4: Thank you, Thank you so much for having me.
Speaker 1: I wanted to have you because I have I watched you throughout the campaign talk about your incredibly just traumatic. I think traumatic is the only word. Experience that was made ten times worse by the abortion bands. Can you, in the way that you feel the most comfortable, just sort of get us up to speed for the people who don't know your story in a way that doesn't just continually traumatize you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I appreciate you using the word trauma. That's exactly what it was, and it was completely preventable and avoidable. I mean, at the heart of this, what the experience should have been is just the loss of my pregnancy that my husband and I desperately wanted. At eighteen weeks I was miscarrying. That in and of itself is heartbreaking enough. This was a baby we wanted so badly. But her heart was still beating. So in Texas, ending the pregnancy, even though I was miscarrying and was going to certainly lose the baby, she wouldn't be able to survive. My doctor couldn't end the pregnancy because it would have been considered an abortion, which is illegal in Texas. So I had to wait until either her heart stopped beating or I met the medical exception in Texas, which is life of the mother, And so we had to wait until my life was considered at risk, which is what happened three days later when I went into septic shock. Fortunately I survived, but I spent about a week in the hospital and my reproductive organs are permanently compromised as a result. And again all of this was avoidable.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, it's funny because you know, I listened to your story and I have three children who are all very old now. But you know, when you're of child bearing age, you go through it right like I mean, I had. You know, I had these pregnancies that involved all sorts of tests that could have meant this, and you know a lot of stuff like that, and you know, everyone you know has these just stories about it, and I did IVF. But what I'm struck by is like, it's actually quite scary to be pregnant. And I found it quite scary. I nearly bled out with my twins. And so to me, the idea that had you been in a normal state, they would have said, you're having a miscarriage, let's get this done. Treat you with the DNC, Like, this is not a Bible pregnancy, you're eighteen weeks. There's no world in which eighteen weeks means that there's going to be a baby. So but instead, because of the religious beliefs, so that the legislators in Texas, you were sent home to get sicker.
Speaker 4: Yep, that's exactly right. And you know they say that they're pro life, but I always ask, what about this is pro life?
Speaker 1: What about my life?
Speaker 4: They want to take care of the baby when it's in the womb, but they don't want to do anything once it's born. And that's just where I really struggle is this is not pro life, but that's the language that they use to get people fired up in and really activated. And it's so frustrating because when you look at the facts about this is pro life.
Speaker 1: First of all, I want you to explain to us, like I understand how traumatic this was. Explain to me why you decided to come out, because I imagine that none of this was fun.
Speaker 4: No, I don't enjoy reliving it. I don't enjoy retelling it. You know, It's gotten easier to talk about just with time and the processing that I've done, But every time I talk about it, I'm back there in the hospital. I'm back there with the loss, I'm back there with the fear. But I think it's so important to tell these types of stories because when we talk about our trauma and when we talk about what's really going on, that's when people can really start to relate and understand what these bands mean. And So I was actually still in the hospital. I was recovered, but I was still in the hospital when my husband, Josh, and I decided, you know, this is something we need to warn people about. And it was really out of terror for what was going to happen to my fellow Texans and Americans across the country, and we wanted to warn them of what was going on. And we know the power of storytelling, and so we just thought, you know what, we've got to do this and we didn't look back.
Speaker 1: Are you surprised that Rowe was not a more motivating factor, because you do have women in this country now who are treated basically like second class citizens when it comes to Madison.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I think what that tells me is that we still have a lot more work to do in educating the American population on what these bands mean and how they impact everyone and not just women. Right, my husband was affected, my terents were affected, my siblings, my friends. I mean, these restrictions and bands impact every single American. This is a human rights issue, and so what that tells me is that we have more work to do in helping people see that and connect those dots.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean that's my feeling too. But Texas has had the ban a year more than the rest of the country, right, because they did unconstitutional SBAID. So there's more results coming out of Texas and they're pretty horrific.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's terrifying. And you know, we're seeing cases that are even worse than mine. I mean, people are dying, and not just in Texas, across the country. And these are just the stories we know about, right, There's so many more just like it that we don't know about because people still don't want to talk about this. Understandably, we should not be in a position where we have to talk about this on a public stage in order for people to care. But you know, that's where we're at. And I think what's happening in Texas and some of the other states where there are similar bands is indicative of what could and what might what likely will happen across the country.
Speaker 1: There's more, right, So, for example, in Texas right now, this abortion ban is a rejection of science, right, It's a rejection of like the larger ethos here is that life begins a conception, right, that's the play here. The Republicans want to say that anything after conception is abortion, and we've seen that in all this legislation. So it's a kind of rejection of science. Now in another part of Texas. We have and I'm sure you know about this, a measles outbreak, and now these measles are also in New Mexico because measles are very contagious. So do you see your in Texas? You live in Texas, do you see this rejection of science playing out in other parts of Texas? And also can you sort of spread the needle here?
Speaker 4: Oh, I don't know if I can thread the needle. I don't know if anyone can throw the needle, but you know, I do see the rejection of science. And for me, it's very personal to fertility right and to reproductive care, which you probably understand. You shared that you went through IVF. That's something that I will have to rely on in order to have kids in the future. And we saw that ruling in Alabama of embryonic personhood, right, Yeah, this is telling us that embryos are now people. And if you just break that down and think about it at the most basic level, it's insane. Like it's absolutely insane. And so I just struggle to understand the folks that are getting on board with some of these arguments, because to your point, it is a blatant rejection of science, and I think it must be people baring their heads in the sand because it's so obviously wrong.
Speaker 1: Right when you went out and did the campaign, how was it and were you glad you did it? And did you and sort of I just wonder if you could talk about that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm very glad I did it. I have no regrets at all. I wanted to leave everything on the table to do everything I could to prevent Donald Trump from being re elected. Unfortunately, we didn't see that go the way we wanted. But it also taught me a lot about people's concerns across the country. And this is a real fear for a lot of people. Even in states where they have abortion enshrined in their state constitutions right or in states where it's still accessible, people are still very scared, but they're very, very motivated, and I think since the election, we have seen a lot of folks sort of give up hope. I've heard a lot of people say, you know, I'm just not going to read the news for four years. And my message, as somebody who's been at this for a decent amount of time now, is we can't. That's exactly what they want. They want us to feel hopeless, They want us to feel defeated. We think things are bad now, they can get worse, and they will get worse if we stop paying attention. And so I saw so much activation across the country during the election cycle, and so much mobilization, and we just have to keep doing that, and we have to continue to fight back and resist and stay vigilant, because otherwise things are just going to get worse.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And it definitely seems like that's true when you sort of talk about the anxiety. I mean, how do you feel about being pregnant in Texas? Like, do you have friends who are pregnant in Texas? How is it is there any feeling that there's sort of any safe places in Texas to be pregnant.
Speaker 4: You know what's interesting is most of my friends who want children have left Texas. And it's exactly for that reason. They don't want to be pregnant in a state with these restrictions. They don't want to raise their families in states with these restrictions. And I won't be able to carry again because of the trauma that my body went through. I'll have to use a surrogate. And when my doctor told me that I honestly was a little bit relieved, because to be pregnant again would be absolutely terrifying. I don't know that I could could stay in Texas and be pregnant.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that seems right, and Texas is a humongous state. So they're just moving to blue states yep, exactly.
Speaker 4: Or they're getting their reproductive organs removed because they're so scared to become pregnant. That's how bad it is. As people are changing the trajectory of their family planning because of politicians, and that's just not the way that it should be.
Speaker 1: We all saw these horrifying videos and people not understanding that Roe wasn't caused by Biden. Do you think there's still misinformation like that or do you think people are getting the message that Republican politicians are doing this.
Speaker 4: It's unfortunate to say this, but I think what it's going to take is for people to be affected personally. And I don't just mean that with reproductive care. It's also you know, the price increases that we're seeing as a result of the tariffs. It's people's kids or their kids' best friends getting sick with measles because they're unvaccinated because they were fed misinformation, right, And unfortunately, I don't want the pain and suffering that's going to happen across the country to happen. But I think it's inevitable. And I think when you experience these things firsthand, there's no denying the impacts, right, And I think that's what we're going to see. I would like to prevent that as much as possible by sharing the stories that we already have rather than creating new ones. But with what I see happening in Washington, I think it's inevitable that people are going to experience these pains on a very personal level.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think so too. It's just so so dark. Thank you, thank you, thank you, Amanda.
Speaker 4: Of course, thank you so much for having me. I really enjoyed it.
Speaker 2: And now we have a clip from our YouTube channel where Molly interviews Randy Winegarden, the President of the American Federation of Teachers.
Speaker 1: Hi, and welcome to Fast Politics Today. I'm lucky enough to be joined by Randy Winegarden, the President of the American Federation of Teachers, to discuss why fascists attack teachers and how we can push back against Trump's aggressions. Welcome back, Randy.
Speaker 5: It's always great to see and to talk to you, Molly. It kind of is one of the highlights of my week or month.
Speaker 1: Wow, the feeling is so mut all and here we are in this post constitutional America. So tell me what you guys are doing to protect teachers and to try and protect what little of the guardrails we have left.
Speaker 5: Let me start with the most immediate, which is this week we are actually having a national Day of Action locally and at this point hundreds of different places, and it is very focused on what the public and the community really wants, which is they want our kids to have a decent education. They want our schools to prepare our kids for success. They want the strivers and the strugglers amongst us to have opportunity. That's part of what I think, you know, regardless of whether somebody was a Trump voter or Harris voter, they want to better life for themselves and for their families. So March for our kids, and we are protecting our kids on March fourth, and we are focused on making sure that that federal education dollar that goes for kids with disabilities, that goes for kids who are poor that goes for kids who you know, are the first in their families to go to college. That goes for kids for career tech edge, that goes for kids who are English language learners. All of these funding streams are specific to kids all throughout the country. We're fighting to protect our kids and protect that funding and not let Donald Trump or Elon Musk blomb it off for tax cuts for billionaires or for block grants for vouchers. That's number one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there is this war on the federal Department of Education too going on.
Speaker 5: So we have to do a lot more, or regardless of whether you're a Democrat or Republican and independent, we all have to do it a lot more to help make sure that families in America have what they need for a quality of life, for entry into the middle class, whichever way you want to say it, for the American dream, and it kind of comes down to the economic opportunity and the education opportunity. And so what our members are doing is we're tying in all these actions that Musk or Trump or the others are doing to create chaos and confusion and using that for tax cuts for the rich. We're basically saying let's get back to first principles, which is we need the funding for opportunity for kids and or the medicaid funding. Don't take Medicaid away, don't make things worse. So what we're trying to do is say we got to make things better. You are elected to make things better, not to make things worse. And we're going to fight against making things worse, and then we're going to fight for making things better. So we're not doing the you know, they do five thousand eos every day and each one of them. We're much more about the music of the fight for a quality of life, the fight for the middle class, and the fight against the cruelty, the chaos, the confusion and hurting people.
Speaker 1: Right, so you're less anti Trump and more pro working people.
Speaker 5: Correct and ultimately creating the contrast because think about eggs. They were supposed to do something about the price of eggs. We have a digital billboard in Times Square right now. The price of eggs, commodity price of eggs on January twentieth was six dollars and fifty five cents. Commodity price of eggs right now, yesterday eight dollars and five cents. We're not talking about the grocery store price. And you know, somebody now is saying, oh, yeah, there's bird flu. Well it wasn't always bird flu. But also think about bird flu? What is HHS? What is Robert Kennedy? What are they all doing about bird flu? Nothing that I can see.
Speaker 1: As we look at this kind of the trajectory right now. I was talking to someone else earlier at this on this podcast who was talking about how so many of the billionaires just bowed down to Trump and we're like, fine, let's do it. I don't care. We want to get our spaceships into space. But one of the things that were our tax cuts, right, or our tax cuts or whatever. But one of the things that I think is interesting is that's not what we're seeing from normal people.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 1: You explain to us how normal people are feeling right now?
Speaker 5: Sure, and look, you know one of the things union members. Yeah, so I've been talking to our members about because they're really frustrated and they're really scared, and they're thinking about, oh my god, how do we fight back. We just we want a better life for our people. We don't we want a better life for our families. We don't want the our life to be worse. We don't want to lose our democracy and we don't want this you know, wrecking ball because people are so are so tired of the status quo. This wrecking ball makes things worse. So what normal people or I would say non wealthy people are thinking about is how do we decrease costs, how do we increase wages? How do we protect and expand healthcare? And how do we protect and expand retirement security? And how do we make sure our streets are safe, our schools are safe, and you know we're we're taking care of our kids. So normal people are thinking writ large about how they have opportunity and how they see a better life and what does any of this chaos do to them. That's what normal people are thinking about. And for example, one of the things we've did in the last couple of days is we questioned why the asset managers.
Speaker 1: Yes, the next question I was going to ask.
Speaker 2: To hear the rest of the interview, head over to YouTube and search from Fast Politics with Molly Jung Fast.
Speaker 3: No Fu, Rick Wilson, Mulli Jung Fast.
Speaker 1: I'm going to play you the moment of fuckery because it's so incredible, and I want to get your hottest take. This is one of Trump's most amazing advisors. And I don't mean amazing in a good way. Kevin has it? Are you ready go?
Speaker 4: Or is the fairness issues less?
Speaker 3: Let's just be fair whatever you do, the US will did you.
Speaker 6: That's what he's asking for an April and that's not a radical idea at all.
Speaker 1: But let me ask.
Speaker 6: I am confused now, but what you're saying about this being a drug war and on his trade war solutely.
Speaker 1: Let's just take Canada.
Speaker 6: I mean you said Canada shipping fentanyl into the United States.
Speaker 1: I mean I don't think that's happening.
Speaker 6: I mean one percent of fentanyl is being smuggled at Frost, the Morner one percent. I mean, Canada is not a major source that all of fentanyl in the United States.
Speaker 3: Part so Molly, the idea that fentanyl is being secretly covered up by Canada. You know what they're doing. They're using the hollow Earth to travel to the Denver Airport dimensional Portal, Yes, to bring in the fentanyl that was manufactured on the on the lunar hologram. This is like Reptilian overlord conspiracy.
Speaker 1: Horseshit speak for yourself, man.
Speaker 3: I know they want to make this into the maple peril up there snow Mexico is poisoning au chrodran. But it's it's so pathetic and at some point, like the fentanyl driver as a major element of trump Ism, has to collide with some reality. Fentanyl is a very very very very bad product, is a very deadly thing. We don't want it. But we're apparently going to do nothing on the demand side about fentanyl. That's that's just where we're just we just imagine in this country that are incredibly successful previous wars on drugs are going to be just successful with fente.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean, listen, I don't want to cast aspersions here, but that guy's either very dumb or very dishonest, because there could be right, but they're they're not hiding fentanyl and the maple syrup. That's not how any of this is going.
Speaker 3: It's not how any of this works. And the idea that the fentanyl problem is going to be addressed by Donald Trump imposing tariffs on Canada is a bank Shots rarely work in life or politics, and this is like a triple bank shot. So but it's just one more conspiracy to feed the crazies I think.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 3: You are welcome as always, my friend. I'll talk to you later.
Speaker 1: That's it for this episode of Fast Politics. Tune in every Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday to hear the best minds and politics make sense of all this Chao. If you enjoy this podcast, please send it to a friend and keep the conversation going. Thanks for listening.