Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys Let's go.
Speaker 3: Are you ready for a break?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 3: Are you ready for a break?
Speaker 5: Absolutely?
Speaker 3: Ready for a break?
Speaker 6: Yeah, And so much for that.
Speaker 1: It's time for The Break on Dallas Cowboys dot Com.
Speaker 3: Were with mbar.
Speaker 7: Garcia Bryan brought us, Nick Harris and Derek Eagleton.
Speaker 8: It is Tuesday, October twenty second, twenty twenty four, Seasons twenty, episode number fifty two. Welcome to the latest edition of The Break, Live from the SWBC Mortgage Studios at the Star, Presented by LG LGUs, the world's number one O lead TV brand for eleven years in County See why ATLG dot com for slash O lead EVO. Welcome to the show, guys. We got our crew here. Tommy yarsh is joining us today. Ambers out today. She'll be back tomorrow. But today we got a lot of fun lined up for you guys. We'll talk a little bit about Jerry Jones and what he had to say this morning on the Fan. That was some interesting comments that came out of that, obviously coming off of last week's interview that he did with those guys over there at the fan.
Speaker 3: We'll also have some time with Brian.
Speaker 8: We'll go inside the mind of Brian brought us and as you saw when I mentioned we'd have some fun today, he shook his head yes. So my guess is he has some questions that are going to challenge us and.
Speaker 3: Maybe you can get us in trouble.
Speaker 8: We don't know. We'll see how that goes. And then obviously, well I have some questions for you guys. Maybe in the final second, we'll see how we get there. We'll also take some calls if you guys want to call us eight eight eight five five two two ninety seven. It's a good day to give us a call, so we'd love to hear from you. In the third segment, let's start first with Jerry Jones this morning, he was on one on five dot three the Fan and there were lots of things that were said. I think the most important one that jumped out to me and I think if you look around at least X and see what people are talking about, it's really around the Derek Henry comments basically said I don't know if if he'd have had if he'd be having a career year in our situation, Derrick Henry didn't fit managing, didn't fit managing because of because of managing the cap. Essentially, he was saying, first of all, he doesn't think that Derek ken would necessarily be doing the same things here because of their situation.
Speaker 3: And I'll ask you guys what you think of that.
Speaker 8: But also he's saying that they didn't make the move because they were managing the cap. And I want to get into that a little bit deeper in just a second, but first, what are your thoughts on those comments?
Speaker 9: Yeah, it was. It's very similar to what he said in the in the past about Derrick Henry and why he was not brought in it. It's cap cap cap related. I think it was the first time though, that he had kind of led on to the fact that it might be Derek Henry might not be having the success that he's having in Baltimore this year if he were behind this line in Dallas. And it was a tweet that Jesse Holly had put out last night and he had asked, would Derrick Henry be having this type of success if he was running behind the Cowboys offensive line? And in my perspective, I'm thinking and I'm looking at it, absolutely not, he would not be having the production that he has that he's been having in Baltimore. But it's still probably a top ten rushing offense that you would have with Derrick Henry because there's not a better running back in the league that makes something out of nothing. And it was a further interesting that Jerry made this comment because Baltimore is also starting a rookie offensive lineman. Granted they're not starting two of them, but they're starting one of them. And you know, it's not been a perfect situation up front for them at times this year, and Derrick Henry has at times had to make something out of nothing. That was a play last night. It was a crack toss to the right and no one did their job. He bounced back left and it was a fifteen yard game. So I'm looking at it and I'm like, no, this guy would be just fine in the off.
Speaker 3: Can't those them out real quick?
Speaker 8: Because i mean, Nick and I were having this conversation before, and I've heard others take that took that from what Jerry said. I actually took a different approach because when he said it, he also mentioned the number of carries that they've given the backs, and my thought was he was alluding more to the fact that they haven't really used their run backs as much as at Box doors. Yeah, so they haven't been able to use as much, and that's why he was saying that he doesn't think he was having the same production. Not necessarily offensive line. You guys agree with that or do you think it was really more about the offensive line.
Speaker 9: I do agree with that, but I think there are multiple third and one, second and four situations this year that they thrown the ball when they didn't need to if they had a reliable running back. They're handed off to Derek ki.
Speaker 8: Well that fumble that could have been disastrous in the Pittsburgh game, right, you probably give that Derek Henry.
Speaker 3: He probably boils his way into the end zone, right.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 11: I wish that they would just come out and say that they didn't think Derrick Henry was good enough. That's where I wish that I think this was at. I don't think this has anything They talk about the money and all that stuff like that, maybe the Pro Department didn't evaluate Derrek Henry Henry in a way that he was still good enough to play. I think that's something we're not really focusing on right now. And if that's the case, well then it looks wrong with that evaluation. But to me, this seems like, you know, when you start to talk about he doesn't you know, it doesn't the number of carries, the offense and all those things. I just wonder if there was in the Pro department if when they sat down and said they evaluated their backs, that they didn't think that Derek Henry could still play, you know, I mean, if that's you know, to me, I would accept it. The cap thing could I feel it can always be proven false. You know, you could always kick the can and always put money down the road and all that and and kind of talk about that way. But I've sat in the Pro department chair before, you know, and you've made evaluations on players and you're thinking, like, don't think this guy can help us? You know, if that's the case, just say it. Then then you know then you're wrong that way about it. It's more it's more of a like, well, they just misevaluate teams, misevaluate guys all the time. I'd be really interested to see if that's the case.
Speaker 3: Here.
Speaker 8: Let me ask you this, do you think cause it's my belief and I was one of the people that was ringing the bell for this. Yeah, after the Zeke deal, I said on this air multiple times, I think in today's NFL it is a it is a bad decision on the whole for teams to invest money in aging running backs. Sure, do you think that maybe this was a philosophical because by the.
Speaker 11: Way, and by the way, I would appreciate Yeah.
Speaker 8: Yeah, But what I'm saying is, do you think that it's not just the Cowboys. I think around the league this year, what you're seeing right now is a resurgent of these second contract running backs, especially nobody predicted, like you go down the list and I wrote this down, like you got Henry Barkley, Jacob's Dobbins, Pollard, all these guys are guys, Aaron Jones mixing, Like you got all these guys that everybody was like, I don't know if I'm with them, this guy second contract, and all of a sudden, these guys are lighting up.
Speaker 11: The philosophy got a lot of teams in trouble.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I wonder if that was it.
Speaker 11: Yeah, Dallas Cowboys are not the only team to misevaluate players. There there. There are other teams around the league that are sitting in the same thing. You know. There you look at the guys that are running the football right now. There wasn't a time and I and when I first started one O five the fan and when I was with you, you know, on with my show, on with the g bag nation, fighting for balance for Dak. Don't want Dak throwing the ball forty five times a game. Don't want got to run the ball?
Speaker 10: Got it?
Speaker 11: And then the argument was from the analytics people, any run is a wasted play. Any run is a wasted play. Why you're running it on first down? Why you're running on second down? Now, my show argues with me about philosophy that I was. I admit it. I'm a old school player. I believe. I believe the running game punishes people. We've seen it three losses here. It affected your owner today when you listen to him talk talking about how those losses and things like that. To me, I believe in the running game. I've always believed in the running game. But the analytics people wouldn't let you believe in the running game anymore. And now what's happened is teams have gotten smaller defenses have gotten smaller. We're playing eleven person now, Oh my gosh, we're dealing with all these wide receivers and all that. Now what we're doing. Everybody's smaller. Now, what do you do? These backs? Every one of you mentioned what's their common thread. They're all tough, They're all physical runners, and that's a problem for defenses that are small. So this is just coming back around, and you know, and your philosophy is like, we don't want to pay a back, we don't know, don't pay one and see what happens to you. You know, But if you have a physical running back in this day and age, you could hurt people with that because you look at how teams are built defensively. Everybody's small. College football has made us all with these we do the draft show, Well, how big is he Nick Hey's two hundred and thirty eight pounds, that's rushers, one of the best in the nation. Two thirty eight huh okay, yeah, how big is that runner that was running last night for Yeah?
Speaker 9: Well, no, I remember that conversation about him. Henry Okahry is the linebacker. I thought you were talking about a rookie that is proving himself.
Speaker 11: Yet what I'm saying you all of a sudden, you know, Nick is telling me the virtues of this edge rusher from Alabama that's two hundred and thirty eight pounds. What am I gonna do when I see him out there? Let's see you play this run there? Son, Yeah, you.
Speaker 3: Know, get off this tackle and there.
Speaker 11: Yeah, this is where it all went bad for a lot of teams. These backs. I watched Joe Mixon play, and I'm going God, Joe Mixon looks the same as he did in Cincinnati. Cincinnati just gave up on him. It's philosophy. Everybody's now different. And now know what's happened. Teams with smaller defenses are getting punished because of it in the running game, because of these bigger backs and the and and I think Dallas. I think Dallas got caught in a philosophy thing. If you tell me you got caught on philosophy, I believe because I always feel like there's a way you could sign players. I always feel like there is a way.
Speaker 9: Two year, sixteen million dollars.
Speaker 11: Always feel like a kid, you could kick the can, you could do what you have to do. I'm sure the guys upstairs are listener right now, and they're mf and be for doing that, for saying that, But there's always a way. These guys are smart, they know what they're doing. But the thing about it is you're in a situation right now where philosophy might have got you in trouble with a guy that right now, and a lot of these backs, as you mentioned, are taking over in this league again because they're physical and they're hard to tackle.
Speaker 12: To piggyback off of the philosophy point, I think one of the more interesting things Jerry said today was has anybody thought about if you're not if you're going to invest a huge amount of money in a running back, you better plan on running the ball. Yeah, Dallas just isn't running the ball. Derek Henry alone has more carries than the entire Dallas Cowboys offense this year. Right, he has one hundred and thirty four. Dallas has one hundred and thirty three. Rico Dada leads the team with fifty nine. So it goes back to if Dereck Henry has fifty nine carries in this offense, are you seeing the same numbers that you're seeing with him in Baltimore. I would argue, yeah, because it's Dereck Henry and not Rico Dowbell. I would take nothing again, Freako doobtle. But I think you give Dereck Henry those fifty nine carries if he's on this roster and he's doubtle as the complimentary piece. But I don't know. I just feel like, you know, a guy like that on the roster, even if he has fifty nine carries, he's gonna make it count of like Nick said, make something out of nothing, even with two rookie offensive linemen.
Speaker 9: Could would should have, Yeah, Nick, might.
Speaker 11: It might not be Henry, It might be any one of those guys you mentioned.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right right, And that's what they were all of it.
Speaker 8: There were so many of those guys Scalable and and teams with some team took him, and he took them for probably less money than they would have taken it their at their original place. But the fact is they're all proving the fact that maybe you do have to rethink the philosophy of not paying second contracts to running backs because they're proven right now they can play.
Speaker 11: Look at the teams that are benefiting from these running backs. Look at their quarterbacks. I guarantee you every team that has one of these back or these running backs and is committed to trying to run the football, let me tell you what. You'll get real committed to football if you got Derrick Henry and he's slamming it in there for five point five yards of carry, You'll be really committed. If you're passing off like you wanted to twenty sixteen Cowboys with Ezekiel Elate. You know, okay, rookie back, rookie quarterback. I get it. Running the football helps the You know, Dak was playing well. You know, I think he would have played well even with Zeke maybe not being a sixteen hundred yard back. But what happened there. Every time Scott Linehan called a play, it was second and four second and five second and four second and three first down. You know That's what I'm saying. You get you get a back that could that could hammer that thing in there and get you four or five yards every single time you hand it to him. That makes your play caller better, That makes your quarterback better, you know. And that's what they don't have right now. They don't have that ability to help their quarterback be better in down a distant situation.
Speaker 8: Do you think that it's it's a matter of they don't have the guy, or do you think it's a matter of.
Speaker 11: They're they're behind.
Speaker 3: And I even think for the games that they're behind.
Speaker 8: I think one of the reasons why they're struggling so much with trying to protect the quarterback is the fact that teams aren't respecting the run game because they don't give them a reason to. They open the game and they from start a game, they're throwing the ball, throwing the ball, throwing the ball where they haven't really committed to we're going to establish a run and by the way, that means sometimes we may not get what we want out of it, but we're going to be committed to it.
Speaker 11: You're struggling up front. Your right tackle is not playing, your right guard is not playing. You got a rookie center that doesn't you know, he's learning how to play second level ball. You get an all pro left guard, he's having to play left tackle because the left tackles learning curve is too steep. You've got a lot, You've got a lot of moving parts going on, and you got tight ends right now that really aren't great point of attack blockers. They went out and spent a lot of money on span Ford and to try and go get a physical blocking tight end, but they don't get there's never a new situation where they can come out and run the football, where they could just run the ball. Pittsburgh was the best example of they have a little bit. The game was closed, they were able to kind of the way he call plays the third and six toss to dabble around the end. Brilliant call. I mean, if it works, you're like whoa. And if it doesn't work, you're like what, yeah, you know, But at least it's that it's the threat of popping a run and getting a first down like that in a in a key moment he gets twelve yards on the play. Yeah, it's a great call.
Speaker 8: Real quick before we end the segment, give me an update on what he had to see about Deron Bland and Michael Parsons this week and what they are their possibility of playing.
Speaker 9: Yeah, tell me you got it.
Speaker 12: Yeah, Deron Bland and Michael Parsons, Jerry said, would be likely game time decisions. So he said he talked to the trainers earlier this morning and said, we're kind I kind of have to see how they go through practice the next couple of days. Players are off today, so but likely game time decisions for both of.
Speaker 11: Those guys in San Francis. I would I would, I would hope for Bland and I think that your linebacker edge is going to be limited all week that he will probably be practicing with that practice and excuse me, he'll be working with Britt Brown. That one seems that one seems a little more dicey than what the situation with Bland. We've also thought Bland was going to be available. Yeah, he hasn't been able, so but if there's going to be a chance, I think Bland's got a better chance than what Parsons has.
Speaker 3: I would agree with that. What are you hearing about, Kaylen Carson?
Speaker 11: You know what I haven't asked about because.
Speaker 3: It's almost like that when.
Speaker 8: When he first went out, I was thinking a game or two and it's kind of just gone longer, and it just it makes me think, like, what did we.
Speaker 3: Not ask because it seems like that that's going a.
Speaker 8: Lot longer than maybe I thought it would have. Obviously, I'm not a doctor and I wasn't looking at him.
Speaker 13: Uh.
Speaker 8: But but I'm more interested now to see when he's going to be back, because I really think these are reps that that could really help the development. I mean as a young guy being able to be out there that once Bland's back, that's gonna it's gonna kind of go away a little bit.
Speaker 9: Another thing, if you signed Derek Henry, you would have had a healthy Kaalen Carson the last three.
Speaker 3: Weeks, right, because he wouldn't.
Speaker 8: Yeah, absolutely all right, let's take our first break when we come back. We're to go inside the mind of Brian Brods. We'll do that when we come back Dascot Radio.
Speaker 14: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the cheetah Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable. And now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has AT and T five G. It is fast, reliable and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew at and T five G. Fast, reliable, secure five.
Speaker 6: G requires COMPATBA plan and device five G may not be available in your area. See add dot com slash five G for you forty deals.
Speaker 13: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black and right now Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order. Plus because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy lipball. Make a play for the playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code ode Cowboys VIP.
Speaker 15: Don't put off getting your oil change Dallas. Take five oil Change, a proud partner of the Cowboys is faster than you think. They're so fast you don't even have to get out.
Speaker 3: Of your car.
Speaker 15: You can take advantage of Take fives. Stay in your car ten minute oil change at any of their locations across the Dallas area, and remember at Take five you stay in your car because they're faster than you think. That means you won't even have time to show off your best touchdown celebration. Take five, the official oil change of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 9: From the field to the festivities.
Speaker 16: Lu Casey embodies the essence of luxury and tradition. Handcrafted with meticulous precision, each pair offers unmatched comfort and style. Stay in tall while you're tailgating or cheering in the stands with the Dallas Cowboys Collection by Lucasey. Shop the collection today at the Lucasey store at the Starn Frisco, or online at lucasey dot com. Lucasey the official boot of the Dallas Cowboys and Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders.
Speaker 17: Hey y'all, Matt Pittman of Meat Church here. With football season kicking off, I'm already gear enough to bring the smoker back to AT and T Stadium for some epic tailgates. But with that Texas heat, it's crucial to keep my beer handcramping cold. That's where Yeti's insulated colster can cooler comes in clutch this year. You can even get them with the iconic star engraved on the side. Licensed Yetie Cowboys gear is now available at stadium pro shops concessions and on Yetie dot Com. Check it out today. YETI official cooler and drinkware of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 9: Back to the break, LGO led Evo is the best TV in the game, but don't take our word for it. Digital trend said the LGOLEDG four has the best picture quality they've ever seen. See for yourself at LG dot com slash O.
Speaker 3: Ledevo Welcome Back.
Speaker 8: It is the second segment of the Break life in s WBC Mortgage Studios at the Star. The segment's brought to you by blockchain dot Com. All right, Brian, let's go inside your head.
Speaker 3: What you got?
Speaker 10: All right?
Speaker 11: How about this, Tommy. We'll start with you on the one.
Speaker 9: Bang right, initiate the rookie right.
Speaker 11: Off the gump. We'll see if you're going too good at this now I'm just kidding, you're probably really good at this. What's something you hoped would change for this squad but doesn't appear to be happening.
Speaker 9: M hoped would change?
Speaker 11: I mean something you hoped would change for the squad but just hasn't appeared. It hasn't happened.
Speaker 12: I would have hoped that DAK and CD at this point in the season would have found some kind of rhythm together, and it just seems like, you know, we're six games in and there's been no sign of improvement. In that fact that there's been no sign of a click or a connection. There's still you know, miscommunicating on routes. I think the most glaring one was where I think it was CD was supposed to run out to the side.
Speaker 3: On the vertical right.
Speaker 11: Yeah, it looked like to me there was a safety in the middle of the field. I don't think Dak wanted to throw him the ball there. Yeah, and CD didn't see it. I don't think he saw it the right way.
Speaker 12: Okay, but yeah, I mean that if if Dallas is going to throw the ball as much as they want to do, and those two can't get on the same page, it's not gonna go well, I don't think so that would be my answer, boss Man.
Speaker 3: Mine would have to be Rico Daubdle.
Speaker 8: I really thought if the Cowboys would use him that I thought they are running game would be a lot better than it's been. And my personal belief, I still believe they have. They just haven't been willing to commit to it. And I think if they do. I think they'd get more out of it because there has been one game when they've done it and it actually did work. It wasn't a world beater, it wasn't something that was going to be up there with the best running backs in the league, but it was more than serviceable to keep this offense moving. And I think that's what that's what I want to see more of. But to this point, it just hasn't happened.
Speaker 9: As a young evaluator, I've learned my lesson Brian. I put a lot of faith into this rush defense coming into the year because they added so much depth at the linebacking corps. I was looking at it on paper, top five line linebacking corps in the league. You can look at what the experience of youth, the athleticism, but it doesn't matter if you don't have anything upfront. And so I expected this rush defense to be better than it's been and just not showing any improved.
Speaker 3: Jump in our house.
Speaker 8: Real quick on that note, coming into this year is for everybody to table. Did you think the rush defense problems were more about the linebackers or the defensive tackles.
Speaker 9: I thought it was more about the linebackers. Last year, I thought it was about only one healthy linebackers.
Speaker 11: Yeah, year, I thought it was the edges. I didn't feel like that they were very.
Speaker 9: Long as had an awesome season last year.
Speaker 11: When you look when you looked at team on the right edge, to me, that's where I worried because over there at the time, it was like Armstrong Fowler. I was worried about. Sam Williams is who I was really worried about. And I thought, if you added the linebackers and maybe the safety play in your corner, I thought it would be better. But it really hasn't been. And it's what's unfortunately lea excuse me, uh our edge from Western Michigan got hurt marneel and yeah, Neiling got hurt, and so now you lost that. He looked like to me, he was kind of going the right direction playing over there. But man, I I see what you're saying about the linebackers. That to me was that was very very That's questionable the way they played that thing last year.
Speaker 3: I mean, yeah, I.
Speaker 12: Would agree with think that the linebackers was probably the thing that I was looking at the most. And then you bring in a guy like Kendricks and you kind of see now why he's so important to have there. I mean, you asked last week, you know, what's the one guy on the defense you want back, and I said Kendricks, because he's going to be your tackling machine and get guys to the ground. So just something they didn't have last year.
Speaker 8: You know, I think those are all positions of that we worried about. But I still think it started up front. And I think frankly, the best one technique they had on the team last year was no longer here in Hankins, and I don't think he played particularly well in some games. Some games he didn't play well, And so that's where I think the defensive for me, the defensive tackle was still going to be the issue, and my only hope was that Mazzi would consistently be seeing That was my hope.
Speaker 11: This is where this is where the answer and you could talk about the position, but this is where it really is about Mazzi, you know, because you're saying something you were hopeful that was going to be better and it just isn't better right now.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 11: It's just I mean, he had won that flash game where you're watching him play and it's like, man, Okay, maybe he could carry this over.
Speaker 3: Got ut.
Speaker 11: Yeah, you get excited about it and it really just isn't It's it's a lot of the not as bad as it was last year, but it's just not where it needs to be. Yeah, but you're right about the defensive tackles that group, Derek Well beating a banged up forty nine ers squad do anything for you? Is that just what the Cowboys do?
Speaker 3: Hell?
Speaker 8: Yes, Hey, I don't style point wins, And as you say all the time, Brian, nobody feels sorry for you. This team has been dealing with injuries all season, and injuries to some of their best players. So no, I don't feel sorry for them going up to San Francisco after what the Cowboys have been, how the Cowboys have performed in that stadium over the last several times they've been there. I don't care who's playing, I don't care who's out. If Dallas goes up there and gets a win, it matters. It's a good win.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I agree, especially Sunday night game.
Speaker 11: You really didn't want to read you want to, but I do.
Speaker 9: Agree that this is ahead.
Speaker 11: What's the argument if you if you don't think it's what's the argument that saying that, Like, I don't think it's a good win.
Speaker 9: Well, the banged up I think it's pretty I think it's just pretty straight line.
Speaker 11: So you're saying, you're saying San Francisco banged up. If you beat them banged up, it's not.
Speaker 9: I'm not saying that. I was just thinking about it.
Speaker 11: But but if you argue that point because you were thinking about it, I was thinking about it. Okay, if you're thinking about it, tell me what tell me the argument you would have clarification.
Speaker 9: This is not my point, but I will. I would argue with me.
Speaker 11: That's what I said. I want you to. I want you to tell me why his point's wrong. Because you thought about it.
Speaker 3: I thought he did.
Speaker 9: I thought about it. I would say by.
Speaker 11: I clip this for him later and then just tweeted out that he's a hater.
Speaker 9: It was a tweet. There was a tweet lest that where we were talking about it in the break and I was I showed Tobby last night. He's like the healthiest skill player for the forty nine ers was shot in the chest two months ago. I'd be like, this is a banged up squad and he's a rookie. On the same token, you have Jordan Mason, who's the second year guy undrafted. I mean, it's just kind of been a group effort and brock Perty has been putting some compromising situations. And you look at the teams that they have lost to up to this point as well, and the games that they have played. It's not the forty nine ers you saw in Week five last year. I think we can all agree to that. Yeah, but I think on the same token. Now, this is my point. This, this is my point to clarify. You're still going Sunday night, Week seven playing the forty nine Ers, the team that has been your boogeyman over the course of the last three to four years. At the very least, it doesn't matter if it's Tommy Yars playing quarterback for these guys, it could be. It's a confidence booster. It's a confidence booster because you beat the forty nine ers, you can move into the next stretch of your schedule with that one in your back pocket.
Speaker 8: Okay, So here's the deal for anybody out there that's going to compare injury reports. Yeah, oh no, you can talk about yeah, yeah, but you've lost Dallas has lost both the defensive ends, by the way, one of them is one of the best defensive ends in the entire National Football League. You've lost one of your starting cornerbacks, you've lost your middle linebacker, you've lost your start your starting wide receiver. Yes, they're banged up. Dallas is justice banged up. I don't think there's a team out there that Dallas that has less injuries to major players on their team than Dallas. And so again, I don't feel sorry for anybody Dallas is dealing with the same thing.
Speaker 3: A win is a win is a win.
Speaker 9: If anything, it's kind of matched up because this defense is really banged up and San Francisco's offense is really banged up. So you're gonna kind of see that depth tested for both sides.
Speaker 12: Tell me what about it, well, man, I mean everybody took my points basically.
Speaker 11: Now we're just like talking. Yeah, that's why I asked the first question.
Speaker 3: This is rank you he gets rookie treatment.
Speaker 12: I think Derek said it best. It's like, well, yeah, San Francisco is banged up, but so is Dallas. Not to be Tom Herman here, but wins are hard to come by, especially in the Nflan sorry, Tom, but wins are hard to come by in the NFL. You never apologize for getting a win. It doesn't matter if I'm the quarterback for the forty nine ers. If the Cowboys win that game, you don't apologize for it. Your four and three and they need that win. It's not a must win game, I don't think. I think there are very few must win games this early in the season.
Speaker 9: But I take that back, but this is a game.
Speaker 12: That that's going to stir up so much dat and momentum into what I think is going to be a really tough one on the road against Atlanta next week.
Speaker 11: Sure, I'm Derek. As soon as you said, I don't care. I appreciate you all those years of listening to me sitting next to you on a playing bitch about that we got to win this game, man, we gotta win this game.
Speaker 3: Nobody cares.
Speaker 11: I don't nobody cares. Nobody cares. It's gonna be like you know, it's gonna say, well it was a beat up. I don't care, don't care.
Speaker 9: Did you have done for that?
Speaker 11: Beam?
Speaker 10: All right?
Speaker 11: How about this one for you?
Speaker 3: Nick Uh?
Speaker 11: This one I wanted to know. How excited are you? Okay, I'm sorry, I'm sure this one I wanted to do for you. Best guess that you will, best guess that you will see something scheme wise after the buy for the offense, so like like.
Speaker 9: A scheme change necessarily my best guess towards it.
Speaker 11: Yeah, best guess.
Speaker 9: I like this. Oh man, this is I mean, I think the easy the easy answer would be just I think the easy answer would be motion, just because there's been so much talk about it and that's what happened post by last year.
Speaker 17: Uh.
Speaker 9: I think there's going to be a little bit more creativity in the run game. And here's why. I have a couple of couple of points that could lead to a little bit of confidence in that area.
Speaker 11: Owner didn't Psyche had too much confidence in the scheme earlier.
Speaker 9: Yeah, the confidence is that's a different scale.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, I uh.
Speaker 9: Yesterday Mike McCarthy's press conference, well let's go back to last week. He said there were problems with how they were practicing. I asked him yesterday, followed up, Okay, have you gotten with your staff about how you guys are going to correct practicing situations? He said, we want to do more group settings. And for example, the example he put out is we need our offensive line. He said, for example, we need our offensive line to work as a unit in run block, and we need it. We're gonna take that to the practice field in the situation where we're not doing one on ones anymore. We're doing two on two s, three on threes. And so I'm thinking about it, and I'm looking at it. I'm like, Okay, if they want to be better in run blocking, then they are trying to be a more cohesive unit, which leads me to believe that there might be more a little bit more tweaks to the run blocking schematics in the sense that they can they want to get guys into the second level. Maybe help Cooper BB get into the second level with Zach Martin or with Tyler Smith. Have those guys kind of lead Gooper b B into that area until he can kind of do it on his own, you know, like walk until you can run. And I think on the on the end as well, Yes, Tyler Goeyton or I'm sorry, Yes, the tight ends have not been great at the point of attack, but they could still help Tyler Guidon a lot more than they have been, so maybe using that to to help with the run blocking schematics as well. I think you're going to see this team try to run the ball a little bit more effectively in San Francisco this week.
Speaker 12: About you, Tommy, I was kind of going to say something along the lines of getting tight ends on the on the side for guitting to help him out, and I think, you know, you look at hoping that these running backs can pass protect a little bit better. Sure, but since that was most of Nick's answer, I think they loaded the box up a little bit more defensively. I think they've just been getting a run over every single game they've played, especially in the San Francisco game. I mean, Jordan Mason's had a great year so far to start, and they've established the run really well. You know, it doesn't matter who's hurt for them on the outside. Kyle Shanahan's gonna run the ball, sure, and it doesn't matter who runs the ball for him. It could be me for all we know at this point, since Nick's basically coined me a forty nine er, they're going to run the ball really well. So I think, especially coming out into this game and you look at Atlanta too, with a guy like Bjeon Robinson. This is a team that I think needs to load the box a little bit more and you can see some benefices that for San Francisco with so many of their receivers out potentially for this game, Derek.
Speaker 8: You know, I think I think the natural answer is as Nick mentioned, was you'll see more motion, because I think that's what we saw last year. But I actually think one of the things I actually think I would do if I were the head coach is I would actually challenge those two guys on the right hand side of the offensive line, Zat Martin Terrence Steele, and I would say, hey, I know we've been struggling a little bit here. Certainly we've been struggling when it comes to pass protection. I'm gonna load this thing up, and I'm gonna let you guys power block, and I'm gonna let you guys go get after somebody.
Speaker 3: Can you do it?
Speaker 8: And I would actually power my running game behind the right hand side of this line with a challenge to those two guys and really try to get my running game established. I think that's something that is necessary for this team and the only way I think they're going to help get themselves out of the rut they're in offensively, particularly in the red zone, is to establish a running game. I would do it on the right hand side of the ball.
Speaker 10: I like that.
Speaker 11: I'll tell you what the thing different than the scheme. I think that he is going to I like what you guys are saying about the motion stuff. I think he's going to try and put get his guys more on the move. Maybe it's not and maybe it's not more all the way across. Maybe it's motion out, maybe it's short motion. Maybe it's out coming in and then running, getting into a bunch formations, scattering. He's got to create separation for his guys. Tree Eetman questions your route running, how that's been.
Speaker 3: By the way, Jerry agreed with that.
Speaker 11: This morning Jerry talked about Jerry did talk about that. He gave Troy a lot of credit. But the one thing that Jerry said was the separation aspect of it. And this is where I think that Mike McCarthy needs to try and help. You know, if you have guys that are struggling with routes, put them in motion and then allow them to play on the run. One of the great things about Ceedee Lamb at Oklahoma was his ability to play run after catch. So find ways to get him and others if they're having trouble getting off the line of scrimmage, and Jerry was talking about fighting through press coverage, fighting through those things. Don't make them fight, make them, let them, let them have a running start, don't make them play stationary football around here. You've got to find a way to get more of your guys playing on the movie. Doesn't have to be just full out motion all the time, but at least give them a chance to get a running start on these defensive backs and then maybe work that way.
Speaker 9: I'll tell you after that Lions game and the physicality of the secondary through on the Cowboys receiving core, they need Canadian rules to if I ever play with Lions, they need to be running forward now play.
Speaker 11: Yeah, exactly, that's it.
Speaker 3: Thank you very much, Derek ry good questions. All right, we're gonna take our final break. We'll come back.
Speaker 8: I got some questions for you guys. We'll talk a little bit about what we expect to see here going into the second trimester, as Mike McCarthy calls it, of the season. We back Dallas Cowboys dot com radio.
Speaker 7: If you can't be at the stadium, there's no better way to watch your Cowboys than on an lg O lad Evo TV. That's because everything you see is more lifelike, every play, every hit. I mean, you might just will be on the sidelines, that's how clear it is. It's all thanks to LG's legendary technology, perfect black over eight point three million self lit pixels.
Speaker 9: No one comes close.
Speaker 7: Lg O led Evo is the best in the game for a reason. See for yourself at LG dot com slash oh led Evil.
Speaker 1: They say champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United Agon Turf offers a winning lineup of John Deere equipment built to tackle any challenge on.
Speaker 3: And off the field.
Speaker 1: Legendary John Deere Tractors combines residential mowers, commercial mowers, compact construction equipment, GAT utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sports turf equipment. United Agon Turf the official agonturf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit United Agonturf dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 2: If you shout how about them Cowboys, you have that undeniable passion that's the heart of Cowboys Nation. And if you like to drink Doctor Pepper, you love the unique blend of its twenty three flavors. Together, you're one of a kind fandom paired with the one of a kind taste of a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper is the game day lineup that can't be beat better yet. Gather your Cowboys and Doctor Pepper fan friends to watch the next game and crack open a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper for everyone.
Speaker 9: The winds will be even taste here. It's a pepper thing, and we're going to overtie Erica.
Speaker 3: How much have I spent on concessions?
Speaker 5: For questions about their money, Dallas Cowboys fans can turn to Erica, the virtual financial assistant in the Bank of America mobile banking app. Learn more at Bankofamerica dot com slash Erica by your Side. Bank of America Official Bank of the Dallas Cowboys. Erica responses may very digital tools featured required downloading the mobile banking app and may only be available on select mobile devices. Erica is a mobile feature only available in the Englis language. Your chap may be recorded and monitored for quality Assurance message, DAT rates and additional terms may apply. Bank of America and a member FDIC.
Speaker 14: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the cheetah Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable. And now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has AT and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G Fast, reliable, secure five D.
Speaker 6: Requires compatible plan and device five G may not be available in your area. See add dot com slash five G for you for dds.
Speaker 3: Back to the Break.
Speaker 9: At n T Connecting changes everything.
Speaker 8: Welcome back, final segment of the Break live from the s WVC Mortgage studios at the Star.
Speaker 3: Let's get some some questions. I have a quest.
Speaker 8: If you guys who also have a phone line call, We'll get some calls. If you guys want to call some numbers eight eight eight eight five five two two nine seven. Let's take a call real quick from Randy out and San Antonio.
Speaker 3: Randy, what up, Hello?
Speaker 10: How's it going good? Are you hey? I got a question? I'm good. I got a question for Brian going going forward? Coming up. I feel that this team you've been talking about the running back situation and the D tackles, and I think going into next year, they're going to need two running backs and two D tackles. And I feel the players are available in the draft, and my question is about getting more draft capital here at the trade deadline. And I feel that with the injury to Hutchinson in Detroit that Michael Parsons should have some trade value and I was wondering how much could they get for Michael Parsons to get the extra picks that they need.
Speaker 11: Yeah, the problem is when you trade for a player like that, Thanks for the call. When you trade for a player like that, then you have to think about what they're willing to give up. But they're also they have to pay. There's going to be a huge he's going to command thirty five forty million dollars. So what you have to do is sometimes teams aren't willing to give you a whole lot because they're in a situation where they're like Okay, we're giving you a pick, but we've also got to pay the line share of this salary and.
Speaker 3: Pay their guy and he's going to still be there.
Speaker 11: With he exactly. That's the that's the problem. And so you know that, you know every team, you know, you look at, teams have been been very fortunate when they've moved players that they've been able to The teams that are the buyers, I think have gotten off pretty good with you know, with the way that they've they've given up, you know, given up assets to get I don't think there's you know, we've seen in the past, you know, oh for two ones and this, that and the other. I think teams are willing to if you really really want to make this deal, you're probably not looking at two ones here, you know, you're probably looking at a one and something else along the way.
Speaker 8: Uh does that change based on the time of the year, Like as you get closer to draft do you get to does it tend to be a higher premium on the picks you get versus end season.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I think that's I think that has a lot to do with it. But like I say, teams just aren't willing Like if you're if you're willing to move on from Micah Parsons, then you know you're the seller here, you know, and teams are like knowing that you're going to be the seller.
Speaker 17: Uh.
Speaker 11: You know, if you ask for something that's ridiculous, nobody's going to buy. You've committed to selling, but you know you're you're now looking for the buyer, and the buyers are trying to get the best deal possible. And a lot of like I say, a lot of buyers for these players. Look, you know, look for these like some of these guys that have been moved, these star players that have been moved. It's been for some pretty reasonable stuff with the except I mean there's a quarterback or two that's been moving. I mean, what the what the Browns gave up, you know for the Shaun Watson and stuff like that is pretty But that's a quarterback position. I would say you're gonna shoot for two ones. I would say you're probably gonna get one in a one and something else if you were to go that route.
Speaker 9: You said something about Michael earlier on the show. I'd like to ask you about You said he's one of the best defensive ends in the league. Do you think he's one of the best pass rushers in the league or one of the best defensive ends in the league. I feel like there's a clear line there, and if.
Speaker 3: You feel like I'll put it to you like this, I'll put you like this.
Speaker 8: Most of the guys that have put in that conversation's best pass rushers. That's what you call the best defensive ends. And I don't know that they're necessarily the best because it's quite frankly, I think if you really say best defensive ends, DeMarcus Lawren should be a part of that conversation more. I just think all of us media, fans, everybody, the premium for an edge person an edge player is can you get after the quarterback?
Speaker 3: I think that's first and foremost so, so from.
Speaker 8: That standpoint, I would say holistically, knowing that pass rush is what he does best, I would say he's one of the best defensive ends, the best edges in the NFL. And you would say he's not the greatest in run support, Yeah, you know, I think they're ones that are better. I think, but I also don't think he's a liability in run support.
Speaker 3: I really don't.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 11: I just like to say it's it's a it's kind of slippery slope that you that you walk because you think, because you have one of the best at a posit that you're going to get maximum value, and it just doesn't always work out that way because teams, teams are like, listen, we're going to have to pay him thirty five million dollars a year, you know, But how many teams are willing to do that? That's what you have to look at right there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all right, let's get a call from Terry out in Detroit.
Speaker 11: Terry, what up?
Speaker 4: Hey, guys, a long time listen our first time caller.
Speaker 15: Uh.
Speaker 4: I just want to say I think part of the offensive line problem is you got guys playing out of position. I mean, Smith is a left tackle, he should be playing left tackle. Sixty is a right tackle, he should be playing right tackle. Okay, BB centate center, put him where he belongs. Get yourself a true center that understands the position, and I think you can move forward steal. I will probably put him up on the trade block, get some draft picks if you can with him. And my big thing at I didn't hear the last caller, but I would probably trade Parsons too. I'll put him up on the draft because you can't. His numbers don't justify the paychecks. You know, his last game he had five tackles. Okay, all his sacks seem to come in the first quarter. There's no fourth quarter sacks other than the one against the Rams. I can remember that one. Uh. But I think persons is a waste of money. If you if you give him the money, he's just it's a waste. Okay. Then you're gonna sit there and say that, You're gonna sit there and say, oh, we can't you know, pay this guy because we don't have the money because this cap strapped.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 4: But I think the offensive line this year there is I think you got guys just playing out of their out of position is the key key thing there.
Speaker 3: All right, thanks for Carl guessing.
Speaker 11: I think BB is going to be a fine center.
Speaker 9: I think too.
Speaker 11: I mean, and I and I do appreciate the gentleman's thoughts though, because he's not wrong in some ways. I mean, if you think about, you know, the thing with man, you could go either way with Tyler Smith personally.
Speaker 3: He'll be great. I think it either one either.
Speaker 11: One, either guard or tackle. I mean, I I like what he did there.
Speaker 3: I do think bbe.
Speaker 11: The one problem I just had with BB is the is the twist game stuff everything else. I think he's really he's really done it, really a solid job for you. The pressures and things like that. I mean, he just gets a little too aggressive with trying to help and he needs to be a little bit more aware. But I think that comes with experience. Like I say, the thing with Geiton that is a that is massive. The learning curve is massive over there with him and the techniques and stuff. That's that's what's going to be an issue. But we're so accustomed to plug and play. We're so accustomed to whoever they draft in the first round plug and play and they're in the Pro Bowl their first year. You know, That's where we're at right now. With that, I think it's a good call. That really was.
Speaker 8: I want to throw this out real quick for for all those that have the opinion that Michael Parsons doesn't really provide for you what the money would say he would command. Just go watch the film when Mike is playing and see the amount of attention and resources that offense is dedicate to trying to stop him because I think that matters, and I would say that's to me, it's a bit of a failure on the level level of pass rush that they get from other players along that line that so much attention is paid to Micah and other guys aren't being able to get home and being able to affect the quarterback as they should. I don't think it's necessarily all Micah. I think it's more about the fact that teams are trying to take him out. They're doing whatever they can to to make him, take him out of that out of a pass rush game, and as a result, it's leaving opportunities for other guys. They're just not taking advantage of it.
Speaker 11: Running the football really hurts Micah because it takes away his ability to be a pass rusher.
Speaker 3: Slows him down, Yeah, slows him down.
Speaker 11: Well, it just the fact that they're running the ball with success and they're not throwing it. They're able to get they able to get first downs without throwing the football.
Speaker 3: They don't earn the right rushing past that.
Speaker 11: You saw what a really good pass rush did in Week one. It hasn't been that way since. It just hasn't because they've not gotten anybody into that mode. It's a pressure on Pittsburgh a little bit because the game was in the balance. But they this team, like I said, is I think it's built to be a pass rushing team. It's built to be a third down team when it comes to their pass rush. You know, we'll see about the coverage aspect of it.
Speaker 9: I've heard that point about Micah not showing up in the fourth quarter a couple of times. Just to quickly debunk that. Twelve sacks in the fourth quarter of games in his career out of forty and a half coming into the season, that's thirty percent of his sack So.
Speaker 3: It's come in the fourth quarter, right right, So I don't know, not really equitable. He's struggling more in the fourth quarter.
Speaker 8: Yeah, all right, as a rot, I appreciate you guys join us, Tommy, thank you for joining us today.
Speaker 3: Tom We'll be back tomorrow, tomorrow, all right, Yeah, gotcha.
Speaker 8: Yeah, he can show how does the rookie show up and not bring food, especially the show where we love food.
Speaker 3: We're gonna be back tomorrow.
Speaker 8: We'll talk about the forty nine Ers Cowboys will match up, how they will match up, Starting with the forty nine Ers offense versus Dallas defense. Tiled in for Nick Harris, Tommy Yarsh, Brian brought us on Derek Eaglton. This has been the Break live on Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.