Speaker 1: Hello and welcome to another episode of Snake's Territory, part of the Foul Territory Network. Be sure to like this video, subscribe to our channel, maybe leave us a five star review wherever you get your podcasts. I am Jesse Friedman alongside Jack Summers and Jack There's no sugarcoating things here on Snake's Territory. The MLB trade deadline has come and gone. The Diamondbacks did make a move. They acquired outfielder Lars Nootbar in a deal with the Saint Louis Cardinals. However, they did not acquire any pitching, and the vibes around this baseball team have been very negative here in the past hour or two.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was a very somber in the clubhouse. You could feel the disappointment talking to some of the players, and clearly in talking to Mike just now, the fresh tration was palpable. I mean, he's as frustrated as everyone else right now.
Speaker 1: The Diamondbacks, as I said, they did get Lars snoop Bar for a package of three players. Will dive into that a little bit later in the show. But unfortunately, as you just alluded to, really the biggest storyline of the deadline for the Diamondbacks is what they were unable to do, and of course there was a desire to go out and get pitching. Mike Hasen was very clear about this that pitching and and a left handed bat, those were one in one A on the Diamondbacks priority list entering the deadline. D Backs unable to get pitching. And here is a quote from Mike Hazen who just addressed the media. I know that you were out there for this the question how close were you on a pitcher? And Mike was very quick to react. He said, a lot, very close. Multiple We had some things just not go our way. It didn't happen for us. We took some runs at a lot of the pitchers, We made a lot of player available, it just didn't happen for us. We offered a lot so all the way to the top of our farm system, et cetera. I had to draw the line on the major league team. On some level, there were some of those ass Taking guys off the major league team comes with a bigger risk taking guys out of the bullpen, taking younger players off the team that we need. But from a prospect standpoint, I felt like we were very aggressive, and Jack, you sent me the video of Hazen saying these words, and I think the video spoke even more to his feelings on this, even beyond what is clearly a frustrating, very frustrating quote that we just read. He clearly was not happy about this. He really wanted to be able to do more. And ultimately the Diamondbacks swung and missed on pitching, as some of their rivals in the wild card race were able to have quite a bit of success.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and what it boiled down to clearly was that the Diamondbacks did not have the prospects to match up up with other teams. You know, for example, Cash Mayfield, the number two prospect in the Padres organization, was clearly more desirable for the Detroit Tigers than anybody that Mike Cason was willing to offer. He had already dealt Daniel Egan. I'm going to assume that David Hageman was on the table when he says all the way to the top of his farm system. Well, you know, David Hageman was the consensus top rated pitching prospect. And so if David Hageman isn't going to be enough to get it done, to get you amies, then you got beat. As simple as that, he got beat. And that's that's really what the frustration comes from. Now, Why isn't their farm system strong enough? Why don't they have enough strong pitching prospects to bring home some of these rentals or you know, guys with a year ConTroll or two. That's another whole topic. We've talked about it before, but that's also under my Cason's ledger.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I think that maybe more than anything, the results or lack thereof at the trade deadline is an indictment on this Diamondbacks farm system. The fact that the top end of this Diamondbacks farm system just is not as high end as a lot of other teams. It, as you said, appears that Cash Mayfield was more a more intriguing prospect than what the Diamondbacks could offer.
Speaker 2: There.
Speaker 1: It appears that, you know, the Mets were able to get a pretty nice package for Clay Holmes, and you know that package included a top sixty five prospect in baseball from the Chicago Cubs in Jefferson Rojas, and the Diamondbacks, at least according to MLB Pipeline, their highest ranked prospect is Demetrio Croissantis at number eighty five. They do not have a starting pitcher in the top one hundred, so I think it's clear Jack that like the prices were high. I mean, like the Cubs going out there and being willing to give up that much in exchange for you know, two months of Clay Holmes. I know they got Tyrone Taylor and that deal as well, but that's I mean, that's a lot. Like giving up a top sixty five prospect is a lot. And you know, I think the Padres trading Cash Mayfield, who they just took in the first round, I believe within the last year or two. I mean, that's also a lot. Like the asking prices were clearly high there. It is a bit of a backbreaker to give up that much for two months of a starting pitcher. And yet it was clear from Mike Haysen's reaction that like he was still willing to make himself uncomfortable to make this happen. Here's another quote that we have from Hazen. He was asked, is this one of your more frustrating deadlines? And he said, yeah, I think it's frustrating in the sense of watching the way the team played, and wanting to do your part to add in wherever you can. We've got a really good player and we have a really good team. So I know that it's still a little raw for me right now, just the last week, the work that was put in, and that's what I'm going to reflect on, and I hope that we go out there and continue to play the brand of baseball that we've been playing the last few weeks. This was not a situation where the Diamondbacks are are sitting and feeling okay that they have starting pitching coming back and they're feeling good banking on that. This is a situation where Mike Kaysen is like, no, Like I really wanted to do more and I wasn't able to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he pushed his chips into the middle and he lost a hand. It's that simple. I know. Look, I know a lot of people are very upset and frustrated. The only thing I want to clarify is this isn't a situation where Mike was sitting back on his heels and wasn't willing to do what it took to bring in some players to add He was short of trading Ryan Walshmith for a rental, which you know you can. Some people might feel that he should have done that, but I think it's fairly reasonable to say, wait a minute, maybe that's a step too far to trade Ryan Walschmidt or remove or Kevin Ginkel or somebody like that from your bullpen, or a good young pitcher like a Brandon Garcia. I mean, you know, who knows who other teams are asking for. He didn't specify, but if you're talking about taking guys off the major league roster, probably talking about a young reliever, maybe even somebody with control like a Garcia, or a young outfielder like a Waltschmidt. And he wasn't willing to go that far. But when he came to the prospects, he did whatever he could do and it just wasn't enough. He fell short because his farm system falls short. So look, I don't want to sugarcoat anything here. I just want to clarify this wasn't for lack of effort. They tried, they did their best. Their best just wasn't good enough.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, if the price was truly a Ryan Waltschmidt in order to acquire one of these rental starting pitchers. It's like, well, yeah, I probably wouldn't have done that either. So it is a little bit hard to judge from the outside when we don't actually know what names were being discussed there. I guess we can at least talk about the move that Diamondbacks did make at this point, and that's acquire Lars Newtbar in a deal with the Saint Louis Cardinals. Newtbar it does not have fantastic numbers this season. He is slashing two thirty four, three thirty three, three point fifty four. That's a six eighty nine ops, three homer sixteen. RBI missed the first couple of months of the season. He had off season surgery on both of his heels to correct a deformity of some sort in both of his heels. Kind of an odd procedure there. He was really good in the month of June. He was like the best version of Lars Newbar in the month of June. The underlying numbers confirm that. But he was not great in the month of July. He had an OPS in the low five hundreds. And you know, he is under control for twenty twenty seven as well. I think there are some things to like here about Lars Newbar, But I don't think any Diamondbacks fan is all that excited about this Lars Newbar.
Speaker 2: Are the last three seasons against right handed pitchers, where we presume he'll get most of his playing time. His OPS is seven forty three, seven thirty four, and seven thirty seven. So that's his OPS against right hand pitching the last three years and three hundred, four hundred and one hundred and fifty played appearances, so about you know, seven eight hundred and fifty played appearances. It's about a seven thirty five to seven forty OPS, which is nothing to write home about. I mean, you know, he's not a righty killer or anything like that. He's a competent major league player. He's roughly around the league average major league player, platoon player. There's a higher floor here maybe than what they've been getting from some of the players, you know, including Max Kepler. Not that there isn't more upside in Kepler's bet, but I think Jesse you pointed out to me he's got like a seventy seven WORC plus or OPS plus, you know, and a lot of the players that they've run through there but haven't really done all that well, but at this point in time, I mean, you know, I'd rather see Ryan walshmid play every day, including against right handers, and see if he can develop into a full time player, then relegate him to a short side platoon role in favor of Lars Newbar. So color me unimpressed. Jesse. You're going to tell me a little bit more about some of the underlying metrics and why we might be hopeful that Lars Newbar can be better than he's shown the last couple of seasons.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I'm not going to come out and say like, oh, this is you know, every Diamondbacks fan should be totally jazzed about this, because, frankly, the numbers are what they are, and Lars Newbar had over five hundred played appearances a season ago, and he also had an OPS in the high six hundreds. That said, I do think that Lars Newbar is a better player than what those numbers indicate. You look at the underlying stuff. He has a four to twenty three expected slugging percentage. The barrel rate is nine point two percent, which is above average and tells you that there's still some power in there. His hard hit rate, his average exit villo. Both of those numbers are are excellent this season, and he's he's a Diamondbacks type of hitter. I mean, this is a guy who runs a really really good chase rate, a really really good whiff rate. He doesn't he doesn't swing much in general. He does not chase out of the zone. He doesn't he doesn't swing in the zone maybe as much as you would like either. His overall swing percentage this year is thirty six percent, which I believe is in the first percentile. It's a very, very you could even say, passive approach at the plate. But he doesn't strike out much. He draws his walks. He has the kind of approach that we know the Diamondbacks value, and I think there is more power there than what the numbers indicate. Saint Louis is a brutal ballpark for any left handed hitter. We were looking at the ballpark factors earlier in Saint Louis has a seventy three park factor for home runs for left handed hitters, and granted it's only seventy nine for Chase Field. Chase Field is not great either in that regard, but Chase Field is a great ballpark. For hitting doubles and triples for left handed hitters, whereas Bush Stadium is not. So I do think he gets a boost moving over to Chase Field. You know, the underlying numbers suggest this is an above average hitter despite what we've seen. But at the same time, if you're not, if you're not feeling so excited about this, I get it. I'm not here to say that Lars new Bar is a world beater and the Dbacs got everything that they wanted here.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, I mean the other thing too is the cost. I mean, Daniel Egan pretty good pitching prospect, right, and he was having a pretty nice season. It was on a good run. I should say his season full season numbers aren't fantastic, but he's been on a fairly good run last couple of months, you know, And Daniel Egan was a favorite of ours. I mean, you know, I know you got to talk to him, you know once on our show. I think you did an interview with him, right, And also you know we've just followed him pretty closely. So he's a tough loss. And for a team that isn't pitching rich, you know, you do kind of throw hope that you throw enough stuff up against the wall and some of it sticks, And there was some potential stickiness with Daniel Egan and now that's gone too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Daniel Eagan is a tough loss. There's no getting around the fact that when I first saw his name as part of this trade package, I was like, WHOA that that feels like a lot for you know, one year plus of a decent but not amazing left handed hitting outfielder in Lars Newbar. The Diamondbacks also give up left handed pitchers Sandro Santana in this deal as well. He's a pretty interesting prospect too. I know he's already reliever in Double A man he is. He has had an awesome season. It's seventy strikeouts and forty six and a third innings split between Hy A Hillsborough and Double A Amarillo. He has a two point one four ERA. I think it's a sub one er since being moved up to Amarillo. So if you're a Cardinals fan, you're probably pretty ecstatic about this package that you got from the Diamondbacks. And that doesn't necessarily mean that these guys are going to pan out like I do think Daniel Eagan. There's still some questions there about whether he can stick as a starter. It seems like it's more of a two pitch mix right now, and there's there's definitely some reliever risk in his profile. But you look at MLB pipeline, that's the Diamondbacks second ranked pitching prospect, behind only David Hageman. And he also had to give up Sandro Santana, a pretty intriguing young reliever, plus a player to be named later in order to get this done.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, look, you know the other thing too, is and I've just got to go there because I'd like to beat a dead horse. I mean, the Guardians gave up virtually nothing for Nathaniel Low, and it's hard for me to imagine that the Dbacks couldn't have done as well or better and not hurt their farm system and gotten two months of Nathaniel Low would be a better fit. You plug him. I mean, they don't need Lars Newbar in the outfield. They really don't, especially if Lawler comes back and actually manages to play thirty forty games. So you know, I mean, you could have had a perfectly fine designated hitter from the left side that's going to give you above league average production. For you know, almost nothing. I mean, the Guardians gave up like a nineteen year old down an a ball, you know, pitcher, So why not just go get Nathaniel Low and a two month rental, not block anybody, and not have to give up so much and egan in Santana. It just doesn't make sense to me, you know, Like, look, I I hope that Laris Newbar comes in and hits well and makes us backtrack on our words, but it just really feels like there was a better way to go here, where they could have traded a much lower level prospect, gone and got Nathaniel Low, maybe up their efforts at who they would offer, or multiple pictures they could offer to get back in the kind of starting pitcher. But look, I wasn't part of those discussions, so that kind of second guessing isn't really valid, and I want to acknowledge that. I just don't understand why they couldn't take a different approach here, go get Low. I don't know what they saw that they had to bring in Laura's Newbar, but hopefully he's better than I'm expecting him to be.
Speaker 1: I will say, while I don't disagree with you on that, I think Nathaniel Low, for what felt like a really minimal price tag makes more sense. I will just say that Lars Newbar is more of a Diamondbacks type player. Like, even though I agree with you, I'm not really surprised that the Diamondbacks went this route. Newt Bar is a decent defender. He is a great reputation as a good clubhouse guy. He doesn't chase out of the zone, and really the big difference between him and Low is is defense. The fact that Nathaniel Low at this point, I don't know if you really want him playing much first base. His defensive metrics at first base are pretty rough. And I know he get DH. I know you're thinking you with DH, and I think that too, But if you get Nathaniel Low, you're going to have to play him at first base sometimes. And we know, we know how much the Diamondbacks care about defense, and I wonder if that was the that was the difference there.
Speaker 2: No, you get Nathaniel Low, you plug him in at your DH. At the most, you give him half a dozen games at first base, and you yank him out of there in the seventh inning for El Tomorrow Vargus, I mean Seriously, the guy wouldn't even get one hundred innings at first base. You plug him in as your left handed DH, period, end of freaking story. I mean, he's in here as a two month rental. You do what you're told. He's not going to come in and you know, pout in the corner of the locker room because he can't go. They can't send him out to the first base. You don't need to send him out the first base at all. He's your left handed DH. He replaces Adrian del Castillo.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I mean I don't, sorry, no, I I just think that realistically he would get some time at first base, Like there's no way it's going to be zero innings. And I but I agree with you.
Speaker 2: I agree that isn't going to hurt you. Yeah, half a dozen games the first base and you yank him in the late innings for Vargas, it's not going to hurt you.
Speaker 1: Low If you look at if you look at fangrafts, I think you know Nathaniel Lowe's projection for the rest of the season is actually to be a slightly worse hitter than Lars Newtbar. I think it's like a one oh six WRC plus projection for Low newt Bar is like one oh nine something like that, So I don't know. Maybe the dbacs are are looking at that and they actually think Newt Bar is going to be a better hitter the rest of the way. But yeah, I'm not disagreeing. I think given the price tag for Nathaniel Low, it absolutely made more sense to go do that and not give up much than to trade three legitimate players or at least two legitimate prospects in order to in order to get Lars Newbar. And I guess the other elements of this is the Diamondbacks are getting another year of control here. But as you've said in the past, that extra year of control is we don't know if there's actually going to be baseball in twenty twenty seven, so it's possible. I don't think this is going to happen, but it's possible that Lars Newbar actually is just a two month rental for this team.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, we'll see how that plays out. I do want to kind of circle back on what you just said, though, because it does seem like the inflation for rental players was real. I mean, the concern about rental players being overpriced tells me that other teams were having you know, teams were just having a difficult time pricing in some of the controllable player numbers, and so the price for rentals did go up. Of course, a lot of that also has to do with the fact that they just weren't enough sellers. You know, two or three more teams fall into a hardcore sellers, then there's you know, another dozen rental players out there. Maybe that helps ease the logjam a little bit. So that's probably even the bigger factor. But I can't help but wonder, as I've talked about before, just how concerned teams really are behind curtains about whether or not twenty twenty seven is going to even happen, or if they're going to lose a third or half of the season. And I'll just reiterate on that players are already pushing from their side to have the time before free agency shortened, and they're never going to vote to agree to any agreement that pushes out their free agency. Another year's not going to happen. So anyone that's going to supposed to be a free agent at the end of twenty seven is going to be a free agent at the end of twenty seven, whether they play a full schedule, a half schedule, or no schedule.
Speaker 1: Yeah, one hundred percent. If there's if we don't have baseball in twenty twenty seven, large new bar walks. I don't think you're getting it back for twenty twenty eight. We have more more to say about what is an underwhelming trade deadline day for this Arizona Diamondbacks team. We'll also talk about what happened around the league, what unfortunately some of the Dimonbacks contenders in the wildcard race were able to accomplish. So don't go anywhere. We'll be back right after this. Here on Snake's territory.
Speaker 3: It's the summertime, aj and this is a time to feel free wild make some phone calls that you're overdue for, and also get some deals that you should be getting that you deserve.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it couldn't be any easier though. It's just one price for unlimited talk TECHATA. It's really simple. It is one price for all the data and all the phone calls you could want per month. It's simple, that's right.
Speaker 3: All of Mintmobiles plans are fifteen bucks a month with the summer sale, even unlimited. To get your new wireless plan for just fifteen bucks a month, go to mintmobile dot com slash territory. That's mintmobile dot com slash territory to cut your wireless bill to fifteen dollars a month.
Speaker 2: That's it.
Speaker 3: There's no catch up front payment of forty five dollars for three months, ninety dollars for six months, or one hundred eighty dollars for twelve months. Plan required fifteen bucks per month. Equivalent taxes and fees extra initial plan term only greater than fifty gigabytes may slow when network is busy. Includes up to twenty gigabyte hotspot capable device required, Availability, speed and coverage varies see mintmobile dot com.
Speaker 1: We are back here on Snake's territory. Really appreciate all of you being with us here in the chat. Even though you don't love what happened today, we would still really appreciate it if you would drop alike on this video subscribe to our channel if you haven't already. We're here three days a week doing shows about this Arizona Diamondbacks team, and if you're joining us on an audio only platform, it also really helps us out. If you would leave us a five star review. So thank you all for being here on a bummer of a day for this Diamondbacks team, for doing all those things. We really appreciate it. I want to hit this super chat from our good friend Wes here on YouTube. He says, love hearing your takes. Definitely some stuff I hadn't thought about that I'll have to consider in my trade deadline article later, Wes. We really appreciate the shout out.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Wes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're doing our best here to make sense of a day that just didn't make very much sense for the Diamondbacks. I will say, Jack, breaking news, Oh breaking news, What do we got?
Speaker 2: I have to tell everyone that you were right about something?
Speaker 1: Oh okay, hey, we love that. You mean, just with regard to the Diamondbacks getting Lars new Bar in the first place. You and I kind of talked about that earlier in the day.
Speaker 2: Well, now I wanted to talk about the CBT just real quick, and you know, just double checking something Nick pccora had written, and I spoke to him about it today just to reconfirm. So if everyone remembers a couple of shows ago, Jesse and I had a bit of a debate about just how big an impact the luxury tax could or should be for the Diamondbacks. But the reality is this, the revenue sharing is not impacted. In other words, their ability to receive revenue sharing is not impacted unless they exceed the CBT the luxury tax number two years in a row. So in other words, even if they went over a little bit this year on the luxury tax, that would not have impacted their revenue sharing. So that's the first point. Second point, of course, is Jesse was of course correct that the amount of the penalty is twenty percent of the overage, So if that have gone over by five or ten million dollars, they only actually have to pay a penalty of one to two million. So I don't know why the team made such a big deal about the CBT and not being willing to go over it. I don't really quite understand that because based on those two factors, it seems like it shouldn't have been that big of an impact.
Speaker 1: I do wonder if maybe some of that could I guess the impending CBA negotiations could have had an impact there, like the Diamondbacks becoming a team that kind of joined the dark side. And became a you know, was actually in the CBT range. If that might have I don't know. I just wondering if maybe the negotiations that are about to happen could have been a factor there, because yeah, it doesn't really make sense that the Diamondbacks were sort of hard capping themselves at the first CBT threshold. We do have a comment in here from our good friend James Attwood who Saidthaniel Lowe Jock Peterson both feel like much better fits at the same time. I don't think nude Bar is a terrible acquisition, just an expensive one that feels like shuffling the deck chairs. And James had also commented earlier about Jack Peterson and maybe what the asking price was there when all was said and done, Jack, we didn't really expect this, but the Rangers were effectively sellers at this trade deadline. They didn't do a whole lot, but they seemed to be open to trading anyone and it felt like the money was the big issue with Jack Peterson. I think he was making somewhere around twenty million dollars this season, so he alone would have put the Diamondbacks up right around the CBT. I don't think anyone would have been upset if the Dbacks had found a way to get Jack Peterson here today obviously.
Speaker 2: I mean that would have been a nice impact bat. And I don't know if the person that was chatting with on Twitter about this where I kind of emphatically said the Rangers are not trading Jock Peterson. The day before they went and got swept the Astros, I think, and you know, lost their hold on first place. They went into that series in first place, and they came out of it well behind. And you know, I just never thought that the Rangers would suddenly turn around and sell So another incidents where I was wrong. I know, folks take you notes.
Speaker 1: Oh man, uh yeah, I guess we can jump into what unfortunately happened around the league. Jack. That's another big part of this. I know you asked by Kazan about that during his presser and he acknowledged, like, yeah, it doesn't it doesn't help that we're going against these other teams, and they did have at least some of them had really productive days today. The headliners probably the San Diego Padres, who went out and got not only Robbie Ray but also Casey Meis Miz of course, and name the Diamondbacks were linked to up until the final hours of the trade deadline. And what's even worse here, Jack, is the Dbacks might have to face or both of these guys here in the next few days with this four game series against the Padres.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, we're getting Michael King tonight. And then as we talked about it on the last show, they had a very strange setup in there in their projected starters about on fangrafts, about Marquez maybe being listed twice. But you know, I could easily see one or both of them slotting in on this series. I think Walker Bueler was supposed to pitch the fourth game of the series, so we'll see if they can get them in here and have them pitch in time to pitch games two in games three of the series. Very well could be. I mean, we may all of a sudden be looking at Michael King and you know, Mcasey Meies, Robbie Ray, and Walker Buehler for this series.
Speaker 1: Casey Meyese was scratched from his latest start, so he hasn't pitched in a while. I think it's been since July twenty fifth. For him, feels like he's probably going to get a start in the series. Robbie Ray started on June thirtieth, so he would be on sufficient rest as of Wednesday, so I think he's probably a candidate to start either on Wednesday or Thursday. So decent chance that Diamondbacks have to see both of those guys. Robbie Ray was another name we talked about.
Speaker 2: Jack.
Speaker 1: We kind of ruled him out because of the salary situation there. He would have put the d Backs again right up against the CBT. But in terms of prospect packages, it felt like the Padres didn't give up too much there. It was their number four prospect and their number nine prospect. Padres at this point do not have a well regarded farm system. It's sort of like Ethan Sallas at the top and then everybody else. So I guess it's not surprising Robbie Ray was cheaper from a prospect standpoint, given that he is still making a decent amount of money the rest of the season. But yeah, I mean, maybe if the d Backs were willing to go into the CBT just a little bit, you could have had Robbie Ray and you know, maybe even not had to give up someone like daniel Leagan to make it happen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, scratching my head. I don't really know why they couldn't do more here. You know, maybe they could have done it with volume. If you don't have the top prospect that you know the other team wants, couldn't you give them two or three and you know, to not have to absorb so much money. I don't know. At the end of the day, they didn't get it done. It's very frustrating to see them. Not only them, but I mean, you know, you look at what the Phillies did. You look at what the Cubs did. I mean, you know, teams all around them that they need to be improved tremendously. I mean, you know, Cubs picked up a couple of excellent starters. How are you going to get past them?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, to run down some of the other, I know, wild card contenders, I'll start with the Cubs. Clay Holmes, as we mentioned earlier, he goes to the Cubs. Tyrone Taylor was in that. In that deal with the Mets as well. They also got Braxton Garrett from the Marlins, who be interesting to see how they use him. He's only made a couple of starts in the majors this season, but has a decent track record in the big leagues and has put up good numbers in the minors. They got a reliever, Ryan Zephyrchan from the Angels who has really good underlying numbers. And then of course they got Kevin Gosman as well from the Toronto Blue Jays. So I mean, that's two really good starting pitchers, a good reliever, another depth starter, an outfielder, and Tyrone Taylor who's been pretty hot lately. It felt like a slam dunk from the Cub's perspective. The Phillies you mentioned they got Luisa Rise. They also landed relievers Caleb Killian and Brooks Raley, couple of pretty decent relief pickups there. Phillies didn't get a starting pitcher, so I imagine that the vibes around Philadelphia are not great right now either. I think that is viewed as a disappointment for them. But they still got two relievers in Luisa Rise, which is a decent hall. We mentioned what the Padres got already, I guess the other teams in the NL to round it out, the Brewers had a decent deadline. They get Antonio Senzatela from the Rockies, who's had a really good season out of the bullpen. They also got Dustin May and Jojo Romero in a deal with the Saint Louis Cardinals the Atlanta Braves. Not a great deadline for the Atlanta Braves. They got Tyler Malley for their rotation lane, Thomas Bailey Falter another depth arm there, and then Brent Suiter as a left handed reliever. So it's not slam dunks across the board, Jack, but I think it's pretty clear that every single team that the d Backs are competing with acquired more talent at the trade deadline than the Diamondbacks did.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, I mean, that's that's it. And so of course, you know, by default they just have to turn around and hope and pray that they're returning injured players are not only able to actually slot in in a sensible way. Obviously, it's not hard to get innings for pitchers. You know, how they're going to figure out the outfield once Lawler and Guriel comes back. I don't know how they're going to do that. We'll just have to wait and see. But you know, Mike, we did get some health updates. I mean Michael Soroka, he's probably going to go Tori's every time we talk here from Tori, it's a little bit different innings and pitch count that they're looking for for Michael Soroka. What he said on Burns and Gamble last Friday was five and sixty five. Today he said four and sixty five, So I mean four maybe five updowns if he's efficient tomorrow for In Reno, for Michael Soroka, and then I think he's coming back. I think he's going to be back on the tenth against the Rockies. With regards to Justin Martinez, his program this week is going to be Tuesday rehab and then rehab outing, and then Friday rehab outing. So Tuesday and Friday he's going to pitch in two games this week and then they're going to revisit it. I tried to pin him down, like how many games does he need to pitch before he comes back, and does he need to do a back to back before he comes back. Tory was not able to give me that information. I'm kind of hearing through the back channel grape vines that it may be a little bit slower to see Justin Martinez come back than we were thinking, you know, the way things were rolling, we thought, well, he's ready to go out on rehab. That's probably three, four or five games. He should be back by middle of August at the latest. I'm not sure about it right now. I just can't tell you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Justin Martinez definitely a big boost theoretically, but it's kind of all theoretical, Jack, I mean, that's sort of where we land with this baseball team. Is like, yeah, on paper, if you add Corbyn Burns, Ryan Nelson, Michael Soroka, Jordan Lawler, Justin Martinez to this roster down the stretch, like that is a big boost. I'm not going to say the chance is zero that the Diamondbacks can have as quiet a trade deadline as they did and still make the playoffs. Like I don't think to day is like, oh, this team has no shot because these other teams made some upgrades and the d Bacs didn't like the d Backs are. They're still in position to make the postseason as of right now. They do have some pieces coming back. They probably have a little bit more to be gained in theory from injured returning injured players than at least most of these other teams. But it at the same time, it's hard to really believe in it because Corbyn Burns had the setback and aj Puck had the setback, and Lord ofs Guriel returned earlier than expected but just was not good and I don't know what his future holds. At this point. The Diamondbacks have gotten next to zero value this season from those quote unquote returning injured players, and so for fans that are feeling skeptical, it's very understandable, and it's it's hard to it's hard to argue with given what we've seen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, look there, if you're looking for glass half full, the d Bacs sold everybody last year's trade deadline, and Ink got better and they went into the final weekend in San Diego. Yes, they needed to sweep and some things to go their way, you know, but had they been able to go in San Diego and sweep to Padres, they might have been in the playoffs last year. So we don't know what's going to happen. We don't know who's going to get hurt, we don't know who is going to underperform amongst all these you know, trade deadline talents that the other team's acquired. The baseball surprises us. And if we've learned anything, you can't predict baseball, okay, but we can present we can assess the current, and the current is other teams added talent that Dbacks did not. Now. One of the other conversations I had with Tori today, you know, was regarding Catel Marte, Like, okay, we all saw at the beginning of the season he was struggling with just some bad luck and all the X stats that he should have been better. But you know, now his ex stats have tanked right along with the results, you know, and the best that Tory could offer there was he's trying to do too much, which is what we're seeing, you know, swinging out of his shoes whenever he does swing, instead of just going with a pitch and taking some bass hits and you know, maybe waiting for a little bit more of a cookie pitch to take his biggest, heaviest swing. But if the Dbacks need a boost, they needed to come from Corbyn, Carrol and can tell Marte or Aldo Podomo, right, those are their three best hitters. They need Michael Soroka to be able to come back and you know, another week and actually be really good again. You know, if they can do that, then all of a sudden, you know, Brandon Fought has another good outing tonight, and you have him and Soroka and a daughter Rodriguez. At least you've got three guys that are somewhat dependable. Meryl's up and down. We don't know what we're going to get now from him start to start, but that's kind of where we're at. Corbyn Burns, by the way, you know, when we spoke to him, he's basically about to start throwing bullpens and then how far how many bullpens he needs to throw before he can throw a lot? He said, well, I'm going to be in there negotiating and fighting. I'm not counting on him. I just am not. I don't think that he's got enough time to actually get built up to where he could be a five or six inning storter before the end of the year. I don't see it.
Speaker 1: That's a tough development because Ryan Nelson seems like he's in that camp as well, and so you know, you're maybe best hoping for those guys to be swingmen types where maybe you could get two or three innings from them on occasion, they could have value in that kind of role. But yeah, if you're looking at if you're looking for Corbyn Burns to start game one of the wild Card series or something like that, that seems like a pretty uphill battle. At this point, we have more to get to in this show. We'll maybe touch on some of the comments we see flowing through the chat. We'll also maybe try to give a little positivity on a very disappointing day and Diamondbacks land I said, o'h go anywhere. We'll be back right after this here on Snakestared.
Speaker 3: Today's episode is sponsored by the ASPC Pet Health Insurance Program.
Speaker 2: Kratz.
Speaker 3: We love our pups, we do, and I can't put Bella in a bubble, So you know what I'll do.
Speaker 2: I'll do the next best thing for her, That's right.
Speaker 3: The ASPCA Pet Health Insurance Program offers customizable accident and illness plans that can fit your budget, your lifestyle, and even your pets particular quirks. ASPCA Pet Health Insurance has been around for almost thirty years and has covered over one million pets. And when it's time to submit a claim, it's easy. Just use their app and receive reimbursement for eligible VET bills directly into your bank account, so you can get back to focusing on what really matters, and that's your PET. To explore coverage, visit ASPCA Pet Insurance dot Com slash faul. That's ASPCA Pet Insurance dot Com slash faul again one more time, ASPCA Pet Insurance dot Com slash foul. This is a paid advertisement. Insurance is underwritten by either Independence American Insurance Company or United States Fire Insurance Company and produced by PTZ Insurance Agency Limited. The ASPCA is not an insurer and is not engaged in the business of insurance.
Speaker 1: Back here on Snake's territory, we've got another super chat here from just Toast zero two says even my pals and power World were disappointed.
Speaker 2: Lol.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a lot of disappointment going around today unfortunately, So sorry to hear that. Hey, if I was, if I was to try to spin this positively, Jack, One thing I will say about Lars Newbar is the guy has an outfield arm. He ranks in the eighty ninth percentile in arm strength, and it feels like it's been an eternity since the Diamondbacks have had anyone in a corner outfield spot who could actually gun someone down at home plate with any kind of consistency.
Speaker 2: Well, I'll look forward to seeing that. That's something we don't usually see. But he's still better hit the cutoff man, because otherwise Dave McKay will be all over his butt.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's fair. There will be a there will be a time to showcase that arm. Hopefully he picks his spots as a Dave McKay SE's fit elsewhere, Jack, I guess, I guess. I think it's important to note that even though Lars Newtbar's numbers for the season are not overwhelming at all, I think he is a clear upgrade for this team. Like, I don't really buy into the story of like Newtbar is just going to come in here and steal at bats. Right now, the Diamondbacks have enough room in their lineup that they can add a hitter without stealing at bats from a guy that is valuable, Like at this point, I mean, I know Max Kepler is theoretically on this roster as well, but at this point you're probably sliding Neotbar into left field because he's probably viewed as the better defender, and then Kepler just moves into the DH spot against right handed pitching instead of someone like Adrian delka Stio. And maybe you're not super happy with the numbers that Nutbar's posted this season, understandably so. But what really matters at the end of the day is the delta between the player you acquired and what production you were get without him. And I think you could argue that delta is fairly as at least meaningful given the lack of depth in this lineup currently.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would say that if he takes over as the strong side platoon in left field and plays two thirds of the games as a starter in left field, then the dbacs really need to see a lot out of him to justify continuing with Ryan Welschmidt as a short side platooner. They're already doing that with Max Kepler, right And you know it's there's the opportunity cost. The opportunity to develop Ryan Walshmidt as a full time two way player is being lost by chasing this wildcard spot and relegating him to part time play. Now you know, I've gotten absolutely fillayed on social media before for pointing this out, but I'm going to say it again. When you're over thirty percent strikeout rate and you're over a four hundred babbit, the batting average isn't sustainable. It just isn't. Just the fact that it hasn't come down yet. You know that those strikeout numbers for Ryan waltst need to come down, right, because eventually he's got an insane line drive rate. Nobody hits for that higher line drive rate long term. You'll never find it over a full season or let alone two or three seasons. I mean it's you know, he could be a good line drive hitter, but you're not going to have the kind of line drive rate that he has now. So you know he needs more time to develop, and he's not in the minor leagues so he needs to play more. So what they're losing is the opportunity to develop Ryan Walshman at the major leagues by giving those plate appearances to Laws Newbar and Max Kepler. So it better be worth it, right, I mean, like those guys got to hit, they got to perform, and they got to help drive this team to a playoff spot. Or what are you gaining by doing that to Ryan Waltschmitth's development.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's true. I mean I think the bigger question mark there is Max Kepler. I mean Max Kepler as a seventy seven WRC plus this season and is coming off back to back subpar years offensively. I think he would maybe be the first guy to be moved out of that role, and maybe Ryan Walschman could still get some of those opportunities back. At the same time, I just have to be honest about Ryan walschmant and say I think a platoon role for a team that is trying to contend is probably what suits him best. Like, there is absolute value in giving a player full time, full time reps, but the Diamondbacks are not really in position to be experimenting in that way, not with a guy who is a thirty two percent k rate and a five percent walk rate. And as you said, the babbup is like through the roof. His production against right handed pitching doesn't seem like something you want to bet on right now. And I think it's totally reasonable for the Dbacs to say, hey, we want Walschmidt to play against lefties. I'm sure he'll still get an occasional rep against righty's, especially if someone like Max Kepler struggles, but this team is in a playoff spot right now, right, I mean, I don't know if this is time to be thinking so much about like trying to do trying to give these young players a lot of leeway and their development. Like on paper, even though Lars Newbar hasn't been great this season, he is a clearly, clearly better option against right handed pitching, at least on paper right right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well that's why I said it better be worth it, right. I'm not saying it won't be. You know, I read off his ops is against right hand pitching to start the show, and they're around seven thirty seven forty the last three years, which is better than what Walshchmid is offering at the moment. So he'll have, you know, he'll need to do at least that, But you'd really like to see a bit more. I mean, you know, you hope he gets hot then, yeah, you know, you just hope that, Okay, change the scenery, excitement and being back, and I mean, you know, Cardinals were in a race up until a week ago, so I mean it's not like he was, you know, sitting there on a last place team just twiddling his thumbs. You know, he was. They were playing an exciting baseball and they were looking forward to competing until they all of a sudden hit a rust stretch and reality set in for them. So I don't know, I mean, we'll see where it lands, but you know, it needs to be worth it. I mean, like he needs to give you like an eight hundred OPS against right handed pitching to really make it worth it, you know, because look, the playoff odds are still a coin flip, right They're like forty eight percent of fangrafts and forty eight percent of Baseball Perspectives. They're fifty four percent at Baseball Reference, and they're and even fifty percent at Deserve to Win. They're a coin flip. They're fifty percent playoff odds as of this moment.
Speaker 1: Max Kepler at this point has a six thirty OPS against righty's and an eight eighty nine OPS against lefties. The samples there are still very small, so I don't I mean, I don't think Kepler is like worse against against mands. Yeah, against lefties it's nine PA. So we're not reading too much into that. But I mean the bigger point, the bigger point there is that he has a six thirty seven OPS against righty's, which does not really vote all that well for the future. And it's why I think someone like Lars Newbar is of totally solid upgrade. Newtbar, even with him underperforming his expected stats by a pretty wide margin, he still has a seven thirty seven OPS against right handed pitching this season, a three point fifty four on base percentage. I mean, given how much this team has struggled against righty's this year, Jack Lars Nubar might be the Diamondbacks like second best hitter against right handed pitching immediately. I mean, Corbyn Carroll's numbers against righty's I don't think are that good at this point. Katel's numbers certainly are not that good. Most numbers I don't think are that good. Like say what you will about Lars Nubar being underwhelming, I get it. He also might be the second best hitter on the Diamondbacks against right handed pitching.
Speaker 2: Ding, Ding, Ding, we have a winner. We found a positive angle.
Speaker 1: Good job, we found a positive angle, and maybe that feels like a good place to wrap this up. We've tried to kind of hit this from every angle here, but we really appreciate all of you being here hanging out with us. We figured we'd maybe have a little bit more to talk about on this Diamondbacks trade deadline day. So just the one move acquiring outfielder Lars Newtbar. As we said before, even though this was underwhelming for the Diamondbacks, I would encourage people to keep perspective and know that, like, this team is still in position to make the postseason. It's not like their playoff odds just dropped thirty percent or something two months of any rental players a wild card. Who knows, maybe if the d Backs had gone out and gotten a casey my is, you know, maybe things don't go well for him the rest of the year. You just never know what these small sample sizes. But I'm also not making excuses here, Jack, I know people are gonna yell at me if I go too far down that road. So underwhelming day for the Diamondbacks, no matter how you look at.
Speaker 2: It, Well, we're gonna find out a lot about them this week, right, I mean four against Padres, three against the Dodgers, Right, And you know, we talked to Kevin Ginkle about it a little bit, and obviously everyone knows what's at stake against this team, And you know, Kevin even acknowledged like, hey, you know, the Dodgers are be coming in, you know, snorting through their noses because they really got caught flat footed just before the All Star break, and so they're going to be looking for payback. And I don't expect them to play as sloppy as they did then. So this is really going to tell us a lot about how this team's going to be able to respond under these circumstances. Anyway, we got some baseball to play tonight. Should be a fun game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the Diamondbacks play a baseball game just over an hour here as we are live streaming at about five thirty pm on Monday evening. Thank you again to all of you for being here with us. We really appreciate it. If you haven't already, you can find us on Twitter. I am at Jesse and Friedman. Jack is at Shoe Wizard fifty nine. Our show is at Snake's Territory. You can find Jack's written work over at Arizona Diamondbacks on SI And this is your first time hopping on and joining us here at Snake's Territory. Once again, we're here three days a week talking about this Dbacks team. We'd love to have you back. And on that note, yeah, be sure to check us out on Twitter. We'll we'll keep you all updated there on our show schedule for the rest of the week. And Jack, you have any final thoughts here as we as we say goodbye now.
Speaker 2: I gotta go grab a quick bite to eat and I gotta go write an article for Alex Degostino and Diamondbacks on SI, So talk to you all later.
Speaker 1: Thank you again to all of you for being here with us. We really appreciate it, and we'll be back with another edition of Snake's Territory very very soon.
Speaker 2: It's the pap of people