Speaker 1: Really now, really.
Speaker 2: Really now really Hello, and welcome to Really No Really Jase Now, Elexander and Peter Tilden remind you that if you listen to and enjoy our show, it is proper etiquette to subscribe. Now, let's talk a little bit about etiquette, because in our post COVID world, societal rules have changed.
Speaker 3: And a host of brand new rules have emerged.
Speaker 2: But the vast majority of us are unaware of these rules and unsure about how to consider and implement them. But not the good folks at New York Magazine, who have codified and clarified the guidelines on how we should all be living into one hundred and ninety four modern etiquette rules for.
Speaker 3: Life after COVID Really No Really, Today, we.
Speaker 2: Chat with New York Magazine editor Corey Seeka, who previously made waves as co editor at Gawker and was the former editor.
Speaker 3: At the styles desk of The New York Times.
Speaker 2: You'll learn whether it's okay to email, text, or dam at any hour, whether it's now acceptable to discipline your friend's children, and if there's ever a time when it's acceptable to be a Karen assuming your name is not actually Karen, in which case it's usually fine.
Speaker 3: Here's Jason and Peter.
Speaker 4: So we're talking today.
Speaker 5: We're going to talk about rules, rules in the new world, because honestly, it feels like like society is changing rapidly. Yes, and the sort of etiquette, the dues and don'ts that I grew up with when Anne Landers was the go to and the guru and you they're not necessarily holding try some of them do.
Speaker 4: Some of them are time test.
Speaker 6: There's also a new technology that's knew everything so so. And by the way, I know, one of the new rules that we're going to be talking about in a minute is you can use COVID as an excuse for anything. Because I think one of the writers, either the person we're talking to or somebody who did the research, said, you know what, we got to turn into a positive. We got to use it somehow us for a positive. And I admit there have been quite a few times where I said I think I may have COVID, and I just I don't want You've used it? Yes, come on, Jay, look at me in the eye.
Speaker 5: But no, what I'll tell you how I've used it because it's been a net positive for me when I particularly when I fly.
Speaker 4: I continue to use the face mask, which.
Speaker 5: Is brilliant because it helps cut down on the recognizability. And it's just it's a little less can I can?
Speaker 4: How much does that work? The recognizability is that about fifty to fifty? If I talk, forget it, I guess my voice has become But most of the time people don't see it.
Speaker 5: But if I have, if I have any kind of facial hair and a hat and my sunglasses and the mask, it's pretty good.
Speaker 4: Bye, way pretty good. So let's do the new rules. You want to get, So this is you got a guy of the new rules.
Speaker 6: Corey Seeka is a writer, a blogger, an editor a New York magazine, was the editor of the New York Times Star Section. Also, he wrote a book called Very Recent History, an extremely fact account of for a year in a very large city, which seems to be a very interesting book. And he was involved in all of these new rules, the new rules for the way we should.
Speaker 4: Live and now. And it's lovely to meet you, lovely welcome to thanks for having me.
Speaker 6: Absolutely so the new the new rules. Let's get into a bunch of you. You bring up the ones that you like the best and then we can talk about pushback. We can talk about all kinds of stuff once we hear the ones that resonate with you the most.
Speaker 7: Sure, I mean, and this all happened here because I don't know what your experiences were like.
Speaker 1: But you know, people got a little fuzzy, like a lot of us.
Speaker 7: I mean, I know you two gentlemen don't always work in an office, but like a lot of stuff point of offices and like you know, Bill Bluster, sort of the basic ways of like how we all like intertwine and get along.
Speaker 5: Sure, so what are the some and that is the and that generated the new rules? But before you jump into what some of these new rules are? How how how do I ask this? How do you have the stones to be the operator of these rules?
Speaker 4: Who decided you no? Serious?
Speaker 5: How did you come to go? I think I could I could be a good arbiter for lack of a better word of what is right?
Speaker 4: What is wrong? Or the or the even the progenitor of such rules.
Speaker 1: That's a that's a very fair question with many excellent words in it.
Speaker 7: Yeah, so we we did. We had a team at New York, like we did this as a group together. It was sort of a group homework project, and we also like pulled the entire staff.
Speaker 1: We pulled our friends.
Speaker 7: Like we spent a lot of time making lists and then making fun of each other.
Speaker 1: And then and then we wouldn't kick the tires.
Speaker 7: So people would tell us ideas for a rule, and then we'd like go try it out, and they sometimes worked, and they sometimes did, so like we do, we get a little rotesting.
Speaker 1: You know, it was pretty. It was pretty. It was pretty. You know, at the end of the day, we were some of it was just for fun though.
Speaker 5: Sure sure, all right, So with that in mind, now that I know we're talking to a bona fide expert, not just some guy.
Speaker 6: Do you put these these are some pushback, we'll talk about.
Speaker 4: The push break.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah later, Okay, I'm sure something we have here.
Speaker 4: So we have favorites, But what are some of your favorites?
Speaker 5: What are the ones that have proven to be either really fun or really accurate?
Speaker 1: So I mean, and also.
Speaker 7: Some of this and I'll give you one here, but like and it'll play differently in LA, then it'll play in New York, then they'll play in Chicago. So like they always don't forget that etiquette is sort of local too. So one of my favorites is if you've met someone and they're like trying to place you, just be like, Hi, we've met I'm Corey, you know what I mean, Like you just come out and sort of reintroduce yourself as somebody. People will get offended, but like we've forgotten that. Like, you know, we think everyone knows each other's names. You see someone's face on social media, you know, it's like you gotta you gotta give them a little, a little hand, just give him a little help.
Speaker 1: And so little ones like that make me really happy.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's My wife has a thing called, uh, I think I'm saying it right, plazo pagnostia, where she has face blindness.
Speaker 4: She really does not chronic the way I've met some people do.
Speaker 5: But if she hasn't spent a fair amount of time with you, and she hasn't seen you in the day two, three, four, she will not recognize your face immediately. And so it's of great help if somebody says, Hi, I'm so and so. We met at so and so's party, and she's, oh, god, thank you so much.
Speaker 1: So Yeah that makes you feel good.
Speaker 6: Right, Wait a minute, So now, I can go up to people who I don't give a didn't learn the name, didn't bother and go, Hi, I have p plagnocy.
Speaker 4: Yeah say that? All right? What else you got, Corey? What are the rules that we should know? You know?
Speaker 1: A similar vein? Like we're going with basics here.
Speaker 7: Like the thing we finally realized was, whenever you tell someone they look like someone else, you're just being Can I say.
Speaker 1: You're just being an ass?
Speaker 7: Like it's just like even if it's like even if it's like I'm saying like, oh you look like Tom Cruise, you're gonna be like the.
Speaker 4: You know what I mean? Like, you can't win.
Speaker 1: There's no no one. No one feels good here. Just don't ever see one.
Speaker 5: All right, let me let me see if I can turn it into a year. So I understand not going up to somebody and going, hey, you know who.
Speaker 4: You look like?
Speaker 5: But is it okay if I go if somebody says, hey, look for my friend, Uh, they're gonna be at the diner.
Speaker 4: I may be they're a little late. Is it okay to go? Who does he look like?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, that's a good one. That's fun.
Speaker 7: That's fine because then you get to play a little game with them, and that's sort of like cute and on your own.
Speaker 6: Keep that right, you're right here, Well, hold on, I got something on my throw Sean Hayes A little bit.
Speaker 4: Really, yeah, a little bit, A little bit. Yeah.
Speaker 1: See, it doesn't feel good.
Speaker 4: I just want to now.
Speaker 1: I just feel like I'll feel like I'm the failed actor. And he had the.
Speaker 5: Sorry, I just had to test it, right, okay, yes, all right, look at him.
Speaker 1: I just really.
Speaker 4: Changed his behavior. I'm so sorry. I just had to test It was a joke. It was.
Speaker 1: As long as it's fun, as long as we're laughing out.
Speaker 4: But she now, yeah there, yeah, I get that all the time. So what can I tell you? It feel makes you, makes you feel I get that.
Speaker 5: I get people all the time going, does anyone ever to you look like the actor on sein film?
Speaker 4: I get that? He said a lot. I go every day. That's all what I say.
Speaker 1: You gotta have a good stock line for these things. You gotta try them.
Speaker 4: Out, you know what.
Speaker 6: Just all of a sudden turned said, We're gonna rule our way out of this guary for years.
Speaker 7: Here's an important one, all right, So you know, every once in a while, you end up doing karaoke.
Speaker 1: You guys probably do this like once a week karaoke.
Speaker 4: Sure, yes, you're out there every three times. In fact, let's meat this up. I gotta be home for carry four.
Speaker 1: Like it's like lunchtime in l A.
Speaker 7: The You should a lot of songs contain words that you, particularly if you are a white person.
Speaker 4: Should not repeat.
Speaker 5: Sure, I don't tend to put those in my karaoke playlist, but listen.
Speaker 7: It happens like so you know the world is crazy, but like that's just there's a word you you you substitute a nice word like friends.
Speaker 4: Sure, yep, you know that's part of that.
Speaker 6: By the way, I remember, for your listeners, if you're white, you must call him fifty cents.
Speaker 5: Right, you don't call him yeah.
Speaker 4: All right.
Speaker 5: It's just when you guys came up with that one about you know, substitute words if you're white. Did was that because someone in the group knew of someone who got that wrong and.
Speaker 1: In some cases got it got it right.
Speaker 7: Like I actually had seen a white friend like really reasonably and like nicely maneuver through a karaoke session that could have been incredibly fraught and could have.
Speaker 1: Got is like the wrongest night of all time.
Speaker 4: Wow, she did great.
Speaker 1: She totally was like and I thought, you know what, I am glad I saw this.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah, this was the only one.
Speaker 5: There were many in the lists that jumped out at me as both yes indeed, and some that I have questions about, But this was the one that really I went, I have a question because I don't even know what it quite means. There's one that is simply says, always wink. What does that mean?
Speaker 1: So like don't you find like, listen, we're we're men of a certain age, Like don't you find.
Speaker 7: Like certain like uh like mannerisms just like charming.
Speaker 1: It's just like we've decided that this was like winking is a communal charming?
Speaker 7: Uh, like bringing people together kind of like think we should bring back. It's a little a little dated, you know what I mean? And like people should feel like they're on a joke.
Speaker 1: With you at all times.
Speaker 5: So are you using it for the I get it? I'm kidding, I got it, you got one. You got it?
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: And it's a little campy, it's like a little big belt.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but why do I feel that they can get you to hr immediately at work.
Speaker 1: I mean, you're not supposed to wink and smackle on the end.
Speaker 5: No, I understand that it's sort of like nice, you know, like good meeting.
Speaker 6: I'm going right to write to the principal's office at that point. The other one that got me that was, and I know there's some pushback, is if you're going to a dinner party, don't tell them you allergic to this.
Speaker 4: You're glued free. And yes, right, I have that one. I don't foist your algy.
Speaker 6: Which is, by the way, if I'm the host of the party I'm going to I'm going to ask, right.
Speaker 4: But I have people all the time.
Speaker 6: We had somebody was well known, well known, the wife is well known, and said to my wife, we said, we're going to have some Mexican food, and they went, I don't eat Mexican food. So we had Mexican food and Italian food, and then she proceeded the Italian food and the Mexican Mexican food.
Speaker 5: I have a friend who only within the last couple of years became vegan.
Speaker 4: We used to have them over for.
Speaker 5: Barbecues vegan, and now I go, I don't want to have to take care of you. I don't want to have to open a whole of the section just for you. It's like having a kosher home. This is the meat section, this is the dairy sect.
Speaker 4: Rabbi, that's over there. So Cory, what do you say, what's the definitive on that?
Speaker 7: I mean, listen, this is again, this is going to read a little differently in LA because in LA you're going to get the whole laundry list.
Speaker 1: Oh it's night shades.
Speaker 7: Yeah, right, exactly so, and that's fine, Like that's just the culture of Los Angeles. That's you know, you guys did this yourself, So it's you know what, honestly, you should take care of yourself, like you honestly, Like there's things I don't eat.
Speaker 1: There's things I don't drink. I don't eat, and I don't drink them, and I leave everyone in the hell.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, yeah, you know what, It's exactly right.
Speaker 6: And by the way, you can eat later on the way home, getting in an outburger or something not that you're not going there to eat, going there to sociale.
Speaker 7: Right, all right, Although you know the new thing now that everyone's on the drugs, on the ozempics and the whatnot, is that people are like sort of forgetting. I saw to a friend today. She said, I was at a dinner party last night on a Sunday night, and people, she put the chicken in it like ten pm because she just didn't care. She wasn't hungry anymore, and like starting, Oh my.
Speaker 5: God, I've never thought of that. Oh this could this could be the end of.
Speaker 4: Or dinner party. No food. Yeah, oh yeah.
Speaker 6: It's okay to email, text or direct message anyone at any hour.
Speaker 1: All right, people are mad over this. Still, here's my deal.
Speaker 7: And people who are mad at us are like, my mother is dying and I need to be able to get texts from anyone at any time, Like you know what, You're right, I'm sorry, But the rest of us are in charge of our phones.
Speaker 1: Like I get my friends text me at two in the morning.
Speaker 7: I have my phone notifications turned off because I'm in bed, like that is part of being an adult now.
Speaker 1: And if you can't handle it, like get rid of your phone.
Speaker 4: Oh right, I like it. I like it. Not only do you have rules, you have consequences. I like it.
Speaker 1: Thank you. It's a global world.
Speaker 4: Going into the er now. I thought you should know. You don't want me to a guilt text.
Speaker 7: You know, it's always either not important or it's just really horny.
Speaker 6: Exactly, all right? How about this one. You can discipline your friends your friends kids, but not the strangers discipline. Have you ever disciplined your friends kids trying.
Speaker 7: To discipline their parents on because mostly what I'm seeing with problem kids is just terrible parenting. I'm mad at my best friend right now. Can you tell I'm mad? I'm really worked up about this kid? Ah smack these parents. The kids find the kids a kiddies blameless.
Speaker 4: So do the do the parents? But I discipplinting.
Speaker 6: Could you discipline a friend's kids, a friend's kid, a friend's kid, Well, I.
Speaker 4: I think of discipline in a very different way.
Speaker 5: I'm not I'm not gonna you know, I'm not going to spank, I'm not gonna yell at them. I have absolutely said to a friend's kid who did something I went. I have absolutely said to a friend's kid who did something I went, you know that hurts my feelings.
Speaker 7: That's really good, that's a amazing. You know what I wish you would discipline my whole family.
Speaker 4: Oh you did that?
Speaker 6: This is how well, that's it's it's the you. This is this is how you make me feel.
Speaker 5: There's no it's not you know, I'm not gonna First of all, I don't believe in corporate punishment, but I mean I wouldn't.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I wouldn't threaten a child. I wouldn't, you know, but I think you can. I think you.
Speaker 5: I think by the way I would say that to to a strangers child, I would go, hey, listen, you get to say what what you feel. But I just want you to know what you've said. That's very, very nice. You've heard my feeling. I think we're up, Laurie.
Speaker 6: Whatever kind of award though, podcast got for a nice moment because it's our only one, and.
Speaker 5: You had one that I that I I don't. I think I'm I'm still guilty of it and I and I don't want to be.
Speaker 4: It's something I've really worked on.
Speaker 5: But this is a really good one where you wrote listening is not the time to silently rehearse what you want to say next, and I think so many of us are to really be a full listener is not a skill we are taught, and it's not one that's easily acquired. What was the reaction to that one ory. I mean, is it something that if you guys, you know, put it down. Is it something that came up a lot in your group, or is it something that someone was working.
Speaker 1: On or Yeah, it was a little personal this one.
Speaker 4: It was.
Speaker 7: And this was sort of a sleeper like this one didn't get a lot of attention, but actually when we did talk about it with people, it was like it it always led to these kind of intense, like serious moments like this, which I really appreciate, Like this one. I mean, I'm not I hope he doesn't listen, but I'm going to say this one came up with my spouse and part of it was like we were sometimes having conversations and I was like I can see him looking up and thinking about what he wants to put in next.
Speaker 1: I'm still saying.
Speaker 7: My words, and I was like, you know, and I would be like, hey, I need you to come back and like, you know, make the eye contact. So this came out of this experience, but a lot of people, a lot of really good talks with people about this one.
Speaker 5: Yeah, because because a lot of people can be you know, I wonder, I really do want to It just gets philosophical with me.
Speaker 4: I wonder.
Speaker 5: If that that tendency to be activated by something we hear and you start preparing your response before you hear fully is part of I wonder how much of being triggered by something is because you've you've heard the thing that is triggering, but you haven't heard the context, you haven't heard the intent, you haven't heard you know that it's I just and and I'll be the first to say, I'm not, I'm not incredibly great.
Speaker 7: It's hard on us and I talk a lot of this up to all of our attention spans mine included, which is not great. But also like we're I think for us in the media, we're in a funny business and we're a serious magazine and we're a fun magazine also, but like we're not we're trying to bridge a distance, at the distance between saying like I want you to read this thing and here's why it's important, and I want it to be a little bit salty and a little bit sassy at the same time.
Speaker 1: But I also don't. But I also don't.
Speaker 4: I don't.
Speaker 7: We're not here in the business of like waving the gross flag and like getting too little gin duck to be mad for no reason. Even with this you know, rules package, like we were a little bit it's like it's packaged, it's pitched a little bit aggressively, but it's not We tried not to clickbait it because it's like we're you're gonna have a good time reading this, Like we've tried to make it intriguing and fun and substantial, but without being too heavy handed and without also just being too too tardy.
Speaker 5: Right, given that have you had have you had pushback that was surprising for you?
Speaker 7: And tipping stuff really pushed pretty hard. People are upset about tipping in a way that I think we have to examine a little bit further. I think people feel I think it's touching on something about people feeling taken.
Speaker 1: Advantage of Yeah, and tipping.
Speaker 7: It's not about like is the world fair, our workplace is fair. It's sort of like I'm.
Speaker 1: Giving all I can or are people taking advantage of me?
Speaker 7: And it's like pushing and tipping. A tipping conversation spirals into these kind of dark places.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we did a whole episode on it here with someone who is part of what they teach at university is is tipping etiquette and what the new norms are and how they're changing, and it is about, you know, we got into a whole thing about I remember going into something like a Starbucks. I don't think it was a Starbucks, but I didn't order a coffee. I picked up a water bottle and something else that was on the shelf, and I went to pay for it with my card. And when they turned to tip the screen around and had you know, TI ten percent and fifteen percent, and I went, well, what's my application?
Speaker 4: You know, it's just and it has got.
Speaker 6: They turned the screen around, so the entire line is now your audience to see either being Chap or I can't believe he's a celebrity. He didn't do on the guy. Yet all of a sudden, everyone has to know what I tipped. And speaking of tipping, I think one of yours was. Splitting the bill is just the easiest way to do it. It's the right way to do it.
Speaker 4: I don't drink.
Speaker 6: When I go out with people who have a couple of drinks man, and we split the bill, I do it evenly, but I resent them for the rest of their natural life.
Speaker 7: No, no, you don't you drink. My friend's big birthday. Part of the day, there were just three of us. They both drink. I don't drink.
Speaker 1: They know that, and I was like, you, guys, we have to split this bill evenly.
Speaker 4: I can't.
Speaker 1: I can't.
Speaker 7: First of all, you're going to make me do bath while I'm having a beautiful evening with my friends.
Speaker 6: Come on, so you don't care that they have a bottle of champagne, a thing, a wine, a thing, and you had a tomato soup.
Speaker 1: They had one hundred dollars bottle of wine, and I had a seltzer.
Speaker 5: I will give you an example of something. It's interesting, and I'll even credit it. The first time I ever heard of it. It was Jerry Seinfeld, where if you know that your intention is to cover the meal, to pay for the meal, Jerry did a thing that I heard about that I went, oh my god, that's brilliant. Is he got to the restaurant early, gave him the card and said, don't even bring us a check, just add a percentage for the tip and and it's and I'm pre signing it and and that's it, so that you know the meal ended. He said, well, this was great, and you know, I'll see you guys next time, and they're like, well, we have to get the bill, and he went nowhere done, and nobody could go, oh.
Speaker 4: No, well you shouldn't. It was a curb episode. They did a curb episode.
Speaker 5: But I actually thought that was and I've done that on a number of occasions, but I thought that was a.
Speaker 4: Great Not enough with me anyway.
Speaker 6: I love Never wake up your significant other for any reason to tell.
Speaker 1: You know this rule right, It's amazing, and yet people do this.
Speaker 4: They feel it's important to wake up their spouse to tell them side. I can imagine.
Speaker 5: I can imagine I've had kidney stones in my time. I have woken my wife up to go, I'm having a kidney stone, and if she was on our game, she'd go, so what do you want me to exactly?
Speaker 6: I'm not going in to get it out? What the hell is that about? But you want to share, guys.
Speaker 4: Well, you know, I guess I am wrong.
Speaker 5: If I've misdiagnosed and you'll find me down on the bathroom floor.
Speaker 4: You shouldn't.
Speaker 1: You shouldn't die without informing your spouse.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you want them to know your exceptions to every rule. If you're in pain, you want your spouse to share that annoyance with you. By the way, yeah, you may callously cancel almost any plans up until two pm.
Speaker 1: So this was a big thing that changed we think from COVID on, you.
Speaker 7: Know what I mean, Like back in the day, there's more and more notice Now it's like it's afternoon, it's lunch, you're not going to dinner. Just tell them it's over. I think people let each other off the hook a lot more with plans now than they ever get before.
Speaker 6: It's okay, yeah, good for what you said prior to this is how many times have you used the I think I have COVID thing when you knew you didn't have COVID?
Speaker 4: How many times show we one hand, two hands.
Speaker 1: A couple definitely a few times.
Speaker 5: I've never done that I think I have COVID. I've said I'm feeling a little under the weather. But you know, COVID is very specific.
Speaker 4: But you know what it does.
Speaker 6: It completely makes them forget about the cancelation and you're a good person for thinking about their health and welfare.
Speaker 4: Oh, this is a good one. This is a good one. I do this to Peter.
Speaker 5: Someone starts telling you a story you've heard you have two reconds to stop them.
Speaker 7: No, listen, you two have known each other too long, and he tells so many stories.
Speaker 1: Yeah, gotta happen like once a week.
Speaker 4: Yeah, oh easily.
Speaker 5: I let one slide today when Peter had to tell you that he'd been written in radio talk right for thirtys In the episode, there's some reference to him being in talk right here for thirty years.
Speaker 4: He doesn't know me. It's kind of a different thing, right.
Speaker 1: He's famous to me from the stage.
Speaker 5: That's right out ouch in New York, in fact.
Speaker 1: But you can cut them off. You can be like, that's right, you told me that just the other week. I loved that story.
Speaker 6: No, Jason has to remind me, and if he doesn't do it, he's got to figure out new ways to do it.
Speaker 4: Punishing I heard it before. It's got to be.
Speaker 5: Half like how I disciplined friend's children.
Speaker 6: And people that I know have psychological You should also mention we disciplined children.
Speaker 4: It's a little pinch under the arm.
Speaker 1: You should also get a couple's therapists on the show to work with you two.
Speaker 5: Oh my gosh, what is the English one? Wrankled anybody? I just love the way it was said to I think I'm calling it correctly. If you if you saw someone shoplifting, No you didn't, really don't.
Speaker 4: You don't.
Speaker 5: You don't say it's not if you see something saying something that's not good, if.
Speaker 7: Your if your mom owns the store, maybe maybe it's different. But we think generally in turnstile jumping and like and you know, finger grabbing, you know, taking a little stuff off the shelves.
Speaker 1: It's happening. You don't know why it's happening. You don't know where it's going. Mind your business.
Speaker 4: Hold on, how about an armed robbery?
Speaker 7: Armed robbery, you should seize the weapon from the robbery.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Corey, even you too, you have it in you. Yeah.
Speaker 6: Before you go, can I ask you one question about style and fashion? Since you were the style editor for a long time, what is your what's the late breaking fashion for for men women coming up into twenty twenty four?
Speaker 7: Uh?
Speaker 1: Mostly near nudity.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry you're near nudity.
Speaker 7: Like I would say, like what you're seeing in fashion, and I think you're going to see this as it is. It keeps up this summer and in LA in particular, you're going to see more tops and bottoms of ueles, butts, more under boob more over, like you're just going to see people basically neck it.
Speaker 4: Why because it feels great and.
Speaker 1: It's hot out, because global warming? Because nothing matters.
Speaker 4: I don't know, well seriously does it?
Speaker 5: Is it also indicative of a different attitude about I mean, some of it is just.
Speaker 4: Decorum vanity.
Speaker 5: Uh, you know, I was brought up you just don't wear certain things like I would never wear flip flops on an airplane.
Speaker 4: I mean, you know, it's just that kind of thing that sad. Yeah, I know, I know. And And is that.
Speaker 5: Is that because generations coming up are going, no, the hell with that stuff? If you be be who you are, dress how you dress, if you want to show your body, show your mother. Are we coming up to a time where it will be no big deal for anybody male, female, or whatever gender they identify with to be topless on the street and we all just go fine.
Speaker 1: I honestly think we're getting kind of close.
Speaker 7: I mean, we live in New York City where where toplessness of all genders is legal on the street, which is not something that will take advantage of.
Speaker 1: Every day, right, But it's like more and more like I think.
Speaker 7: We're seeing things that resemble toplessness in people, and it's I don't know where it's going.
Speaker 1: It's sort of fascinating. I don't know what it means. Does it means freedom, doesn't mean outrageousness. Is it attention seeking?
Speaker 7: Is it a social media consequence or is it just the next great thing because people always have to try something new.
Speaker 6: I don't And body positivity, I guess people feel more comfortable in the bodies and less judge. So that could be. That could be you see Kanye West. There's not much clothing on Kanye West girlfriend at any given time. You would see at a swim cluck, not on the street, but it's out there and it's so what.
Speaker 5: But I always, you know, part of me, I always wondered if we if we did have more public nudity, if we'd finally get over all this body stuff. You know, the biggest clickbait in the world is uh so and so side boob.
Speaker 4: You know, you know, well that's something.
Speaker 7: It's like, I do think that something, and I think like actually Brianna and her under our line and like stuff like that has done good work with this is like what you're saying this as good as that, like people's people's bodies don't always look ideal, Like I don't know, I mean mine is amazing, but like you know, but like this is not that not even looks great for every angle. And I think that we're gonna I think young people are doing a good job of saying like, like this is my unideal body.
Speaker 1: It is the body I will be living it until.
Speaker 7: I die, and like we're gonna have to get this, so enjoy some of this cellu light in some of this man's lab and like let's move along.
Speaker 6: Well, Corey, I want to thank you and your perfect body for company. I'll continue to such with the magazine. Coreye, thank you very much for coming.
Speaker 4: And you know, this.
Speaker 5: Seems like and we did have fun with Corey and and I'm so thrilled that we did, because a lot of the stuff that he that he and his team are coming up with.
Speaker 4: Are just and silly.
Speaker 5: But there's also that we we got onto a couple of them that are like, yeah.
Speaker 6: Dude, we did an entire episode about public behavior, and it's degenerating. People have throwing stuff on stage with performers. Why would why would you feel the need that it's okay, do we need somebody to come down from a mountain. Go, don't to do that for people that are singing?
Speaker 4: What's that about? What does that behavior about? So better? If you're worse?
Speaker 6: It's I think it's I understand that, mister google him. That was kind of interesting, fascinating about rules. One of the rules is we end with you.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I've been breaking most of them, but now I know that i'll be breaking them. My question was, I hate putting you on the spot there, but well, first of all, I do have a correction. It's Kanye West's.
Speaker 4: I forgot you know what.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I forgot that she got married due censorio or whatever her name is. I believe I forgot because I forgot that the wedding gown was like a white uh nipple nipple plan?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I forgot. Oh nice. Nice.
Speaker 8: But my question was for either one of you, if you want to you want to take it, what was the rudest thing that you've ever done or witness.
Speaker 4: In your life?
Speaker 8: The rudest thing, the rudest thing that like, oh my god, I can't believe either I did that or someone else did that to me or around me.
Speaker 4: I just thought of what it was for me? Do you know yours? Wow, I'm trying to think you know. So I was.
Speaker 6: I went out with a couple of people from my birthday to a restaurant and we were in it was it was the COVID post COVID, but it was still like in a big tent for the tables that's up and we were in the corner, way in the corner. And apparently and my whole family saw this, but I wasn't privy to it. Another family sat down with a teenage boy and the teenage girl and the husband. The father lost it was started railing at the daughter took her phone, ripped it out of her hand and threw it across the restaurant and it whizz. I didn't see any whizz by my head ricocheted off the wall, and people were running out to ask guard table from the restaurant, and I didn't know what was going on because it was so dramatic and so over the top, and so it was unsettling for my family watching somebody treat their daughter that. When then they sat down and continued to eat, but whiz, the phone passed my head like a fastball, ricocheting off the wall and having that kind of outburst at a restaurant was pretty bad.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think Listen, I'm sure I would not be proud of it. I don't know, but I'm not thinking of something I've done. I'm sure I've been perceived to be rude or maybe I've been routed at some point.
Speaker 4: But the.
Speaker 5: Thing I remember, and I won't name names, but my family was at a restaurant with other people at our table, and granted we didn't have the best service I've ever seen, but it was also very clear that the person waiting on us was a bit overwhelmed. It was it was pre theater. Things had to move, and we we were fair of the watch table. We had ten people at our table, and some of the people in the other party were openly disparaging and condescending and insulting, and I just I cannot. That just makes me crazy when you know it's just it's just not the enough set. It makes me crazy. But when I see stuff like who are you? Who are you sitting in judgment of I'm not in judgment. I released judgment. That's why I forget. You will leave something else student insulting. Sorry, David, thank you producer, Laurie, thank you? It is a Laurie Amir Elizabeth? Who am I forgetting? Who our children or son Noah are announcer? Who else is on our team? That we should it's we're on.
Speaker 4: A team a budget, we're out a budget, We're done? Should I sing another song that we can't? Pat By the way and.
Speaker 5: The guy hammering and dwelling next door, let's think, Howie Mandelan isn't higher studio here?
Speaker 6: And I want to know if the bookcases for maybe they were making a bookcase or some gift for us.
Speaker 5: I think they're trying to replace the metal corrugated door that separates us from the sounds of the rest of the studio, not knowing that metal is a fantastic ractor.
Speaker 6: What's the movie where the zombies are running eight hundred miles an hour and killing people, oh, twenty eight hours later. I feel like when they put the door down, it's like, twenty eight hours later they're keeping out some evil.
Speaker 5: Thank you new rule no hammering outside of good night, everybody.
Speaker 2: Really, that's another episode of really, no really comes to a close. I know you're wondering what pandemic based innovations and technologies are here to stay forever. That answer in a moment, but first let's thank our guest, Corey Seka. You can read more of the new rules in New York Magazine under the articles titled do you know how to Behave?
Speaker 3: Are you Sure?
Speaker 2: And you can follow Corey on Instagram where he is at Corey seeka and on x where he is simply.
Speaker 3: At Corey No.
Speaker 2: Find all pertinent links in our show notes, our little show hangs out on in TikTok YouTube, and threads at really No Really podcast, And of course you can share your thoughts and feedback with us.
Speaker 3: Online at reallynoreli dot com.
Speaker 2: If you have a really some amazing factor story that boggles your mind, share it with us and if we use it, we will send you a little gift. Nothing life changing, obviously, but it's the thought that counts. Check out our full episodes on YouTube, hit that subscribe button and take that bells here updated when we release new videos and episodes, which we do each Tuesday, So listen and follow us on the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcasts or wherever you get your podcasts. And now, what are some of those pandemic based innovations and technologies that.
Speaker 3: Are never going away. Number one.
Speaker 2: As struggling restaurants looks for ways to keep revenue flowing, they ask cities and states to allow them to provide cocktails to go with takeout orders.
Speaker 3: So if our thirty five states.
Speaker 2: Have adopted ordinances allowing the continued sale of cocktails to go.
Speaker 3: Number two.
Speaker 2: Before COVID medicare only allowed for telehealth visits in rural areas during the pandemic, though the practice grew so patients could get medical help without leaving home and potentially.
Speaker 3: Spreading the virus.
Speaker 2: The practice is now immensely popular with patients and physicians alike, and the use is common and low cost.
Speaker 3: Number three.
Speaker 2: mRNA technology allows a vaccine to target virus cells without having to inject the virus itself. The technology broke through with the COVID nineteen vaccine and is fast becoming the newest and most promising technology for other diseases and treatments. Number four Those incredibly cute and annoying robot deliveries. No longer do we send three bags of chips in a two ton car burning gallons of gas. We simply placed them in a lunch box with wheels and send it economically to its lucky recipient, So please resist the urge to kick them, because they're here to stay. Number five Zooming became a god send during the pandemic. Separated families and friends could actually visit, seeing each other and responding in real time. For hospital patients who could not have visitors, zoom often was the only way to bring comfort or say goodbyes. Now it is a mainstay of business and social interaction.
Speaker 3: And it's not going anywhere. A Number six streetereries.
Speaker 2: When real indoor dining became impossible, restaurants opened their doors, claimed some sidewalk space or a few parking spots, and set up there covered heated, weather proof all.
Speaker 3: Fresco dining areas.
Speaker 2: It expanded seating capacity, and amazingly, people seem to actually like being out in the world while enjoying a meal. Fancy that it all goes to show that when humankind faces great challenges, great ideas are born. It would be really great if we didn't have to do the great challenges first, but you know, we're working on it.
Speaker 4: Really really is.
Speaker 3: The production of iHeartRadio and Blaise Entertainment