Speaker 1: The rivalries, the marching bands, the upsets. Saturday's just got way more fun. College football is back. Think you know the game. Put your college football knowledge to the test with Draft Kings Sportsbook and turn your picks into big payouts. From live betting during the game to ribery week odds, boosts, and so much more. Draft Kings sports Books have everything you need to stay in on the action from kickoff to final whistle, whether you're betting your go to team or making moves mid game as momentum shifts. Saturdays are yours to own with Draft Kings Sportsbook. Here's something special for you first timers. New customers. Bet five dollars and get two hundred dollars in bonus bets instantly. Download the Draft King Sportsbook app. Use Coach Shannon That's Coached Shannon for new customers to get two hundred dollars in bonus bets instantly when you bet just five bucks in partnership with Draft King Sports Book.
Speaker 2: The crown is yours.
Speaker 1: Hello, ladies and gentlemen, and thank you for joining us for another episode of Nightcap.
Speaker 2: Y'all know who I am?
Speaker 1: I am your favorite Uncle Shannon Shark, my partner and co hosts. He's Liberty City's own Matting's ratings Adjuster, Bingals, Ring of Fame Honoree. He's a pro Bowl, He's an all pro. He's Chad o Jo Senko Johnson. Please make sure you hit that subscribe button. Please make sure you hit that like button, and guys do it's a favorite. Go subscribe to the Nightcap podcast feed wherever you get your podcast cast from. We'd like to thank each and every one of you for your support and your continued support, because thanks to you, Nightcap has ascended the heights we could have only imagined, and especially in such a short time. So thank you again for your support and your continued support. My Kanyak Laportier just head over to Laportier kanyak dot com to grab your bottle. Please make sure you go follow my media company page on all of his platforms.
Speaker 2: That's Shayshe Media and my.
Speaker 1: Clothing company eighty four with eighty four being spelled out. That link is pinned in the chat. We've got Grammy nominated rapper Lacree joining us a little bit later. But first, Oh Joe. The headlines the Buccaneers informed rookie Shiloh Sanders today that he's being waved. His agent Yoursenhouse Robert Bailey, a former teammate of mine with the Ravens added, we're hoping he'd get claimed waivers. O Joe, Yeah, where do you think Shiloh will land?
Speaker 3: You know what, I'm not sure where we're laying. There's some teams out there that can use some depth, especially at the safety position. I'm not sure what the Bengals look like in the in the in the in the secondary. I think Steelers can can add. The Saints can add to to their to their secondary as well. Uh, he's gonna get claim where he gets claimed, I'm not sure what that would be yet. Listen. For one, he has Austin representation in Robert Bailey and j rosen House. Obviously they represented me while I was playing my tenure. So he will get picked up. Where he gets picked up, I'm not sure, but he has the right person in his corner to make sure he gets another opportunity to the game that he loves.
Speaker 1: Sometimes your last name can be a blessing and a curse. It's not normal that free agents have breaking news that they're being released. He's an undrafted free agent and because his name is Sanders. The blessing and the curse. People say, well, young, he only got an opportunity because his last name is Sanders.
Speaker 2: I haven't. I mean, maybe you.
Speaker 1: Can recall the last time an undrafted free agent it was breaking news that he was getting released, getting made, whatever the case may be, Go ahead, o't.
Speaker 3: You anytime it's a rookie, especially an undrafted rookie. The only time they make the news, uncles, when they get in trouble, right, is there an arrest of some sort anything coming out of college where they've gotten in trouble. But that's pretty much it. Because of the last name is why it's breaking news. And it just it's like you said, uncle, it's a gift and the curse.
Speaker 1: Yep, And I just you know, hey, you sit back and you reflected, and you're like, Okay, it didn't work out here. Maybe somebody gives me an opportunity, it works out somewhere else. You don't know. This is the first time that Shallow has been told he's not good enough. I mean, he's been a phenomenal player. Obviously, he got his first start with the University of South Carolina. He got a D one scholarship his father gets the job at Jackson State, he goes and joins his father and his brother at Jackson, and then when his dad gets the head coaching job at CU, he follows. You know, the two sons follow their dad there. This is the very first time, and it's really hard because think about it, ought Joe. I think he's twenty four, twenty five, and for the first time in twenty four to twenty five years, somebody.
Speaker 2: Has told you you're not good enough.
Speaker 1: Now, it's one thing, if you know, you get cut from your high school team, you get cut from your junior varsity team, or something like that. He's twenty five. But think about it. Think about this, ladies and gentlemen. I mean, for the first time of your life, you're in your mid twenties before somebody ever tells, someone ever utters to you you're not good enough. Forget forget it be a sport, maybe it's a job, maybe it's something, but to be told you're not good enough because your whole life you've dreamed about being an NFL player, or your whole like your dream job, whatever the case that may be, You've dreamed about holding this dream job. And then all of a sudden they're like, you're not good enough. Per Yahoo Sports, we're told that Buccaneers enjoyed having Shiloh in the building, viewing the son of Dion Sanders as a good kid who at all times of respectful to everyone. Shiloh could, in theory signed with the Bucks practice squad after clearing waivers. The bigger question is whether he's good enough to compete and play at an NFL level. That's always the case, that's what you way, oh cho, because if you bring somebody back on the practice squad, you're saying, with a year under our belt, with a year under his belt and our system developing, we think he can develop into a player that could play for us get offense, defense, and maybe he's just a backup. Maybe hey, they pay backups just in case people do know they do pay backups in the NFL.
Speaker 2: And you know, he can be a special a special teams.
Speaker 1: Player, punt punt return, kickoff, kickoff return, maybe he could be whatever the case may be. Now that's what the Bucks organization, that's what they have to weigh. Todd Bowles and that staff. I forget the general manager. I just reading something the other day about the general manager because he was talking about, what's the linebacker they let go? H he was LSU. They ended up letting him go and he would go to Philly. Now he's found a home. I think it's at the Texans, maybe the Raiders, whatever the case may be. But I just saw his I just saw his name. That's what you have to That's that's what you're up against. You got sixteen spots, so that's a lot of people that you can bring in all those sixteen players.
Speaker 3: Oh yo.
Speaker 1: Basically, we're saying that we believe with another year in our systems offense or defense, we think down the line, he just need a little bit more time to develop. We think this kid might turn into a pretty good player for us. Absolutely, let's let's let's take another look at him. Let's let's let's let's get a let's get a bird's eye view. Let's stay with m let's stay with him for a year, and let's see what kind of player he turns into.
Speaker 2: So hopefully that's something.
Speaker 1: If he doesn't get claim dof waivers, hopefully he gets an opportunity, either it's the bugs or someone gives him an opportunity, because maybe he just needs another year to develop. Into an NFL player. Maybe that's the case. Maybe it isn't everybody. Everybody that particular dream, everybody doesn't get to realize it.
Speaker 2: Oo because but you know what, my.
Speaker 1: Brother had a very interesting take on a dream. He said, you know what a dream is, O choe, a dream that comes true. He says, it's a gift to yourself. M A dream is a gift to yourself. You I had very similar dreams. I need to play in the NFL. There are no other options. I didn't have a plan, but I got my degree. But my plan ABC all the way through Z was go play in the NFL. And my determining factor was to get my family out of the situation. Now, my brother gave us a head start, but I wasn't. That wasn't good enough for me.
Speaker 2: He did it.
Speaker 1: I never thought there was nothing that my brother ever did that I didn't think I could do, not one thing. He's like, I like, he went to college. But I know I could go to college even though I wasn't a student that he was. He applied himself. I never applied myself. I was, you know, hey, I got this god given ability. I'll be extremely talented. That'll get me by it's an amazing I think it's amazing when I see kids that come from lineage like a time, like a a Clay Matthews senior, like a Bruce Matthews son Peyton Manning. When your your father has something and you still have a burning desire to get it for yourself, that's very impressive to me coming from our situations.
Speaker 2: Oh, Joe, it's easy to be motivated. Oh yeah, yeah, being.
Speaker 1: Hungry, being hot, being cold, it's easy being rained on.
Speaker 2: It's easy to develop motivation.
Speaker 1: But what happens when you have none of those extenuating circumstances.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you gotta want it. You got to want it. You gotta be self motivated too. And you got to understand when you when you have fathers that played in the NFL that were very, very good, not just you know you're regularly the average players. Then also as a child having to live up to that hype, the comparison of your father, you're not being as good as your father just yet may be, but sometime the pressures of having to live up to in the shadow of a father that was extremely good, that is craft can also it can be demoralizing at times. Yes, I'm focus and locked in. I mean a great example of one one of the players who was able to do it too. Taroll Owen's son, you know, I'm sure he's had to deal with all the all the outside noise. But having a father like too, that's going to make sure you're prepared for all the nonsens that comes with. Don't worry about trying to be me, just be you. Just be thats Tariq Owens that you can be. Hell this past weekend, what do you do? Scored the pops? You know, put you.
Speaker 2: Through the abo.
Speaker 3: That has to be one of the greatest feelings in the world. To have a son to open a mat or a daughter, whatever respective craft it is that they do or choose to be in that there has to be a dope, dope feeling.
Speaker 2: Of course. I think the thing is ojo.
Speaker 1: The biggest thing is is are you living in your parents' shadow or are you embracing it?
Speaker 3: That's a good one. That's a good one. I would never force my child to do anything they don't want to do. I would never force my child to do anything. Listen. I would love I would love it. You know. If you want to play football, so be it, but it's nothing that would ever force you to do.
Speaker 1: You know why force you to do it? You know why because playing football was your dream. You don't know if that's their dream. See a lot of time when people force their kid to do something, they're living vicariously through the child. Now, I'm not saying in all situations, because I think everybody wants their child to be successful that his or her chosen path. But a lot of times we see the behavior and people kids thinking about now, oh, my son going to the NFL, my son is gonna be a major League baseball player, my son gonna be a basketball player. Let the kid. Let a kid be a kid. You're not supposed to look at your child as a paycheck. You're not supposed to look at your child as the way out.
Speaker 3: That's a good one. That's a good one. Or you're not supposed to live vicariously through your child because you weren't able to achieve the dreams that you.
Speaker 1: You couldn't do it, So now you're gonna put that ay. Hopefully the child embraces and wants to be that whatever he or she chooses, and then you nudge them along in that direction, don't ah just.
Speaker 2: What you want to do.
Speaker 1: And my son very early on is that Dad, that ain't this ain't me, This ain't what I want.
Speaker 3: I got a question, Yeah, a question for you now that we're talking about that. It's a great topic to talk about when you think about fathers like Joe Jackson, fathers like Tiger Woods, Yes, Serena, Vena and Venus. Dad beyond the father Yes, fathers that actually understood early on, this is what you guys need to do to be able to read success.
Speaker 1: You talk about prodigies though you talked about that, you talked about you talk about them, but.
Speaker 3: You got to understand as fathers, you never know that these prodigies are going to be what they turned out to be. You think he says, Dad understood that she would be one of the greatest of all time. I mean she known acquire you young Joe Jackson. You have talent, you have you have sons that are talented. You have to put them through the through the work to actually get to that clinical that you envisioned. So is that not almost like the same thing. They seeing something that they weren't able to accomplish, and they feel that their child, the kids should be able to be able to live about their dream.
Speaker 1: But if you go back and think about it, go back and listen to the parent. The kid was excited to get up the next day to go do it again. They never had to force the child to go do it. They never like, come on, Tiger, you got to get up. Tiger was four or five years old. He already had his bag, He was ready to go. Beyonce. They never had to drag Beyonce into rehearsals or say you need to practice.
Speaker 2: She was rare to go.
Speaker 1: Mike, he's with the Jackson five. We got a group, nice little group. Hey, and I'm sure, but and you know, a lot of times, you know, it's hard. Tiger had a very strained relationship with his father because the things that transpired in the household with his mom. We know Mike had a very troubled relationship with his father. He ended up finding his dad as soon as he left the group. I think in seventy nine fired his dad. All of them to end up finding their dad as the manager. So we understand, because but as a child, you don't understand that, O Joe, you don't you don't understand that he your parent, mom or dadd is trying to push you in a direction because they see something in you that you don't see yourself. But but the child has to want it because if he be he or she begrudgingly do it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, listen, when they get old enough, when they get the old enough to make their own decisions. All the birthings you put in and he don't go to waste because the child is gonna turn now, you know what?
Speaker 2: The same with that? That is what I want. We've seen we've seen them. Man.
Speaker 1: I just man, I ain't even want to play no more football. I ain't even want to play no more basketball. And that's and here's the thing. I saw somebody and he says, he said two things, motivation and discipline. When you're not motivated, are you disciplined enough to go do what you need to do?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Motivation, yeah, oh Joe, we are motivated, boy boy boy.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: And the motivation is not there because you're not going to be motivated every single day, every single time. But will you be disciplined understanding and realizing what it takes to get to where you ultimately want to go?
Speaker 3: Two more examples, ball and what he did with the ball. Yes, A and aman Ros Saint Brown's father as well, A magic, great creed magic.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but he said, he say, hey, the boys a they wanted to be at the gym. Yes, it's easy when someone is motivated and they're disciplined, that's the easy that's the easiest person. Because you look at the greats. Michael Jordan is extremely talented, but look at the motivation, look at the discipline that he had. Look at Lebron, look at a Kobe.
Speaker 2: You look at the greats of the greats. Yes, not only are.
Speaker 1: They're extremely talented, they're extremely driven individuals.
Speaker 2: I'm talking about obsessed. Yeah. Yeah, Serena was obsessed.
Speaker 1: That's when you get when twenty thirty forty years from now, when we talk about some of the best, the best female tennis player, that's why she's always going to be mentioned because she was obsessed with it. Yes, she's ultimately talented to be able to for her to be able to move around the court like she could with that with that powerful forehand. Yeah, Federer, he's like he's on clouds, like he's he's ballet.
Speaker 2: He's beriching to cop with a bat with a racket.
Speaker 1: But we wish the best We wish the best for all these guys, but some of these Sally is going to come to an end. Some of these guys are not going to get what do we call it practice squad opportunities. Some of these guys, it's over. It's the end of the road, Ocho. But we got a new angle from the play yesterday in which your door threw a punch and was ended up being ejected. Shiloh said, you do Shiloh. Bill Zach Davidson grabbed the face mask of Shiloh after the whistle. So are we gonna show that we can't overstay NFL? Yeah, but what happened was after the play he ends up grabbing uh Shiloh's face mask and it looks like, you know, hey, you know how yo, I'm trying to get his hands off, and so hey, he won't let it go, So I take I take his wife.
Speaker 3: Ye, your buddy, you can't, you can't.
Speaker 2: And if you and the wide open yeah.
Speaker 3: And not even about being in the Who's joint practice, I understand a little scuffle in game preseason no matter where in the trenches, you know, you you in you in the middle of you can't. You just can't.
Speaker 2: Do it.
Speaker 3: You gotta suck that one up. You gotta suck that one up, and pick a time to get him before the whistle blows. Pick a time to get him before the whistle blows. Within the scheme of what y'all got going on, you can't do it. There's really this, there's really no discourse, there's no dialogue that needs to go on about it. You can't do that.
Speaker 2: You're right, you're right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Hey, when you're right, you ain't wrong, and you and in this situation, you're absolutely right.
Speaker 2: And I know, I know the.
Speaker 1: Our instinct is to get him back, get it, not to get but to get him back right now.
Speaker 2: Oh Joe, it ain't good.
Speaker 1: It ain't good. It ain't good enough to get him back at a later day time. I got to get you back right now because you got me, so you got me.
Speaker 2: I gotta get you.
Speaker 3: You got four quarters? You got four quarters? Mm hm you know, I mean, hey, listen, it's football, man. You know, you know how it is out there, you know how it is. Oh, I know, I had to deal with people trying to kill me for four quarters, for decades straight, every week, hey, and I.
Speaker 1: Got I done, got people, man, Man, such and such a man, such and such dirty?
Speaker 2: What happened?
Speaker 3: Man?
Speaker 2: I was, Oh, y'all, you know, Joe.
Speaker 3: Hey, you used to cut people?
Speaker 2: We did? I?
Speaker 3: Yeah, see, I ain't do that. I ain't do that. I ain't do that. Ain't I don't. I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't like.
Speaker 3: I don't like for such. I don't like going below the knees. I'm just me, as small as I was, as frill as I was. I never wanted to cut people for the simple fact. I don't want to be responsible for you losing your career or.
Speaker 1: You think did you think about my career when you did that cheap issue you did? Were you thinking about my family when you did that? Were you thinking about my grandma? Were you thinking about my brother and sister, my kids when you did what you did?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: Now you want me to think? Now you want me to have a heart right? Mm hmm, I'm sorry I don't. But I would have teammates. Man, it's such a such dirty, I said, Oh man, such number such and such. I'm like, what do you do man? That joke after the whips? Oh he got okay, let's get it.
Speaker 2: Let's get it.
Speaker 3: I owe him with some good days boy, oh oh.
Speaker 2: Oh oh, you got to get God.
Speaker 1: You're not finna get us if they were not gonna do anything about it, oh Joe. Four of the five offensive linemen that were blocking for Shador Sanders yesterday were waved by the Browns today. d'Artagnan, Tenseley, Bucky Williams, Javian Cohen Sebastian good Air, Guitarians or Gutierres one of them. I went to high school with a young lady named Christy Gretarios, so Gouda areas. Some people said Gutierres, and some people she went by guitarians because she was Nicaraguin. So Kevin Stefanski clapped back this morning said he was he's not trying to sabotage Shador. Another piece of info came out overnight. If Stefanski was wasn't trying to sabotage, why was undrafted rookie Greg Larvinian not in with Shadur?
Speaker 2: What was it? Kanye Gauge? Hey, damn hey?
Speaker 1: With all these names, Gage has been with Shador throughout the camps, practicing even first pre season game. He also trains with him outside of practice. Why yesterday was he not in with him?
Speaker 3: Look we beating the dead horse off.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Tyler Huntley was released.
Speaker 1: Tyler Huntley was released yesterday, Ojoe, which begs the question what you are not saying? Okay, you know you're going to weigh Tyler Huntley. So what good did that two minute drive do for him? Was it going to help him? Don't you think Shaduor would have benefited more from a two minute drive than Tyler Huntley. I'm just asking if the guy, if one guy is gonna be on your roster, it seems like they're gonna keep four quarterbacks, o Joe.
Speaker 2: Doesn't it seem.
Speaker 1: It would have been more beneficial for Shaduur to get the two minute drill because that situation that he might find himself in during the regular season if something were to have went to the quarterbacks in front of him, as opposed to Snoop Huntley.
Speaker 2: Yes or no?
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely absolutely. But one thing we don't know is how that that that that coach is staff is thinking. We don't know what's going to their mind. We don't know what coach stefanskis thinking. I'm not sure what they were trying to look at. Uh, maybe get one last look a Huntly before whatever the decision you wanted to make. But again they I don't. I don't know what what else to say at this point, I don't, honestly, I mean, it's it is what it is. Obviously, you want quarterback play and opportunity to be given to each and every person. They saw fit, they saw fit. The way it is, they're keeping four quarterbacks, and that's where it is now. I mean, that's that's where it is now. I know one thing. I've watched a lot of football for a long time. Mm hmm, watch a lot of quarterback play for a long time. I played, I played with some good ones, you know. So I mean they made it, they made the decision. Yep, this is the way they wanted to go. So I wish I wish the Cleveland Browns nothing below in their quarterback situation because once once the season starts for real on Week one and then bullets flying all over the place for real, yeah, be a different ball game. It's going to be a different ball game.
Speaker 2: It is.
Speaker 1: I Look, I'm just a firm believer. If you go back and study Joe Flacco since he's been away from the Ravens, expectations, you see when he came in for DeShawn there was no expectations. But what happened when he went somewhere in there with expectations.
Speaker 2: How did he do?
Speaker 3: Different ball game? Yeah, the pressures of having to play that position are a lot different. Preseason is one thing. You know, that's all shits and giggles, no disrespect, it's all vanilla. I don't think I don't think people understand how difficult that position is to play. When you're being schemed right, when they know what's coming and they're trying to confuse you, when they're trying to throw you off your pivot. It's just different ball game. You got a lot of moving out there in front of you. You got to make calls, you got to make line adjustments, you got to make you got the second second level back is being able to pimp. Man. It's a different ballgame, you know now, the Browns haven't been able to get that quarterback situation right in a very very long time. With that why I think, I mean all of us, not just you and I, but the chat as well and the other people that are watching you know everything unfold. I mean, this is it's been a very long time since the Browns have been in discussion like this and then the mainstream media in a very very long time. And maybe they got it right this time. Maybe they didn't. But if they didn't get it right, the search for quarterback number one will still go on after thirty five tries of.
Speaker 1: Trying for sure, for sure and and and that's the thing that once you win, there's an expectation to win. So you know, Joe Flacco coming out off the bench, there are no expectations because most times people have the backup. You're not expecting your backup to be able to carry you. That's why he a backup, or he'd be somewhere else starting he wins two or three games. Now the level of expectations we have is risen. Yeah, and then we see the precipitous drop.
Speaker 3: I know what we're doing, all this Browns talking and all that. The Browns are very very, very very good. And this is coming from a Bengal fan like I'm no fool. The equity identity for this team is their defense. But the award Newsome, Miles Garrett and the rest of the boys, that's their identity. That is who's going to win game for them? Now, what you need the quarterback to do who would be Flacco? Is we need you to play good football, ask what we do of you, and don't turn the ball over.
Speaker 1: This is what Kurt Warner said, the guy that won a super Bowl. He's two time league MVP, he was a super Bowl MVP. He said, I was really looking forward to the competition between Dylan Gabriel and Shadorg Sanders in the last preseason game. I know it plays out like this sometimes, but what a bummer? Didn't have the same ops, which is the opportunities to make plays. Dj played well again, but had some good opportunities to make plays, and says didn't have those same ops, so it was hard to make too much of an assessment.
Speaker 2: Wait, what is.
Speaker 3: I mean? Listen?
Speaker 1: I mean ojoe, if you are receiver. If you a receiver, ojo And I'm a receiver. Now when I'm in the game, we call it pass plays. You in the game, they call it run plays. How they gonna fairly judge you when you don't get the same opportunity that I got? So how do you judge? How do you judge your door? When you didn't give him a look? He missed some throws, he had some protection sometimes he's gonna have to do a better job of getting rid of the football. That's that's always been my biggest gripe with him is that he holds onto the ball too long, and he's trying to make every single play and you cannot. There's not ever been a quarterback that can make every single play. Sometimes it's okay to throw the ball away. Sometimes it's okay. Instead of completing sixty seventy percent of your passes and and and and and and seventy with six seven sacks don't do me no good. I'd rather you complete sixty percent of your passes, fifty eight percent of your passes and have three sacks as opposed to completing seventy percent and having six or seven sacks. So he's gonna have to do a better job of untraining himself. Throw that ball away, and it's okay. You don't have the foot speed to outrun people around the edges. There are not very many defensive ends, if any, that you can beat to the edge, So step up in the pocket. They're not there a one two, check it down or throw it away. Go ahead, o't sho you want to say something.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, you're right you're right. I mean, one of the things that he does have is he has good awareness. He has good pocket presence about based on what's around him at times. No of the time you feel the pocket collapsing around you, instead of floating back, just step up in it, step up in it. And it was hard for him to actually step up because once those ends were coming around the guard, the two guards, everyone was getting pushed in his face. It was hard to be and find.
Speaker 1: A lanky And they blitzen, they blitzed, they brought, they brought pressure. Yeah, so the offensive line suddenly doesn't know how to hold up once your door Sanders starts playing. But Dylan Gabra has all ready to dance in the pocket. Something isn't adding up, jess what. I remember being a young offensive line and fighting for a job. My old line coach came up to me and said, hey, Swartz, you need to block worse when Smith is playing quarterback, so he looks bad. Totally normal conspiracy that that happens all the time. No, I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't look to telling you to pay play bad. Why am I gonna play?
Speaker 1: I'm trying to make the team. Me making it first of all, oh yo. If I'm an offensive lineman, the quarterback playing good isn't tied to me because if I get beat, No, we're not a package deal. I'm playing good for myself because they're evaluating me. When they cut that film on, they ain't really looking at the quarterback drop. They're looking at me. How did I say it? Did I get beat inside? Was I supposed to? Was I not supposed to get beat inside? Did we pay? Did I molly like I'm supposed to? Did I combo block? Did I pop like I was supposed to? That's what they're judging me on. So for me, I ain't how O yo caught the ball or did the t I didn't run the right route or did the back dude he's supposed to do. I'm worried about my responsibility. That's what I'm concerned about. Shannon's responsibility. And then because everybody's getting evaluated, we're not getting evaluated as a package deal man the quarterback play good? Oh so everybody, no, no, no, no, no no. Now, everybody getting evaluated on their own individual plate. So I know Jeff was trying to be funny. Look, I just think the guys that were in there at the offensive line, but they weren't very good.
Speaker 2: And so now you got the perfect storm on Jo.
Speaker 1: You got four or five offensive line, but that aren't very good, and you got a quarterback to hold onto the ball. Now you got the perfect storm. Now you got a Category five and you got an earthquake going on at.
Speaker 2: The same time.
Speaker 1: Now, a disaster is about the unfold, and that's what we saw yesterday.
Speaker 3: Yeah, hey man, you do what you can with the cars that you're dealt on. That's the way life. And with the cars you're dead. Whatever hand you got, you got to play it the best you can. Some hands, some hands are great, some hands not so great. That's just life in general.
Speaker 1: Dallas Cowboys head coach Brian Schottenheimer o JO says, he with me with Michael Parsons after Michaeh was seeing laying on the medical table behind the Dallas Cowboys bench during Friday night's final preseason game against the Falcons. Without talking to Michael, I need to figure out what he was doing and why why he was going.
Speaker 2: Anyway, I don't know what actually roal here.
Speaker 1: So until I talk to him, I'm obviously I'm not going to talk about it.
Speaker 2: To the media.
Speaker 1: What exactly, because okay, this is what Michael said. Oh Joe, he tweeted, I actually appreciate this. The way the media shapes perception and narratives is wild. If he didn't have if he didn't have anything to say, everyone would just have run with it. I never disrespect the guys out there fighting for their lives. I'm just an interesting clarity and fairness. Michael Parson was not laying on the training table all night. In fact, it was only a relatively short peered portion of the evening.
Speaker 2: Well you could have had him in uniform. You're paying me the money.
Speaker 3: That's true, that's true. He two things can be true, Yes, but I know one thing. Jerry gonna drag this thing all the way out. Boy. They place September fourth, if I'm not mistaken, is that yeah?
Speaker 2: Thursday? Yes, so a week from Thursday.
Speaker 3: Hold on, that's next week Thursday?
Speaker 2: No, yes, a week from Thursday.
Speaker 3: I'm excited. I'm excited. I'm exactly Listen, if my if Mike is not out there, I don't think they stand in the chaand defensively, no, they still got If I'm not mistaken, they still got twenty six over there in Philly, right, Yes, I mean Philly. They still got they still got Agent.
Speaker 1: They still got that offensive line too. So I don't know what type of pressure you think you're gonna get without Michael, with Lane and my ladder, now.
Speaker 2: Dixon, Dixon might be out right.
Speaker 3: So I mean one thing that even with even with Dixon. Now, huh, come on, now we're talk about the rain of Super Bowl champs.
Speaker 2: I ain't no I understand what they're again.
Speaker 3: Man, come on now, If anything, it's gonna be a game because the Dallas Cowboys offense and they're new at this, are gonna be exciting. I'm ready to see. I'm ready to see George.
Speaker 1: If they can hold up, huh, if they can hold up against the Eagle.
Speaker 3: For listen, let me tell you something. Let me tell you something. They gonna hold up. It's week one. You ain't gonna have no choice. You ain't gona have no choice. Boy number four, finna get that ball depth while you hear me, he's finna throw that thing in the thirteen. He's finna throw that thing in the eighty eight. But the boy's gonna get busy. And I'm not I'm not even a Cowboys fan. I'm a fan of certain individuals and players. You know, I want to see Dak do well. I want who I really can by. You want to know who I really can't by doing well. I want to see George Pickens play. I want to see George Pickens lock in for sixteen, seventeen, eighteen goddamn weeks. That's what I want to see. Shit, yeah, we talk about Hey, chat chat, who's your favorite team? Huh chack? Can y'all hear me? Hello? Chat? Who's your team? Who you looking for? The who you looking for? The watching week one? No, they can hear me. Ship goddamn goddamn cowboys. Jerry don't want to pay Michael. I know I got something to look forward to. I got for the look and the joy. I look for the George Pickens. George Pickens.
Speaker 2: But Michael needs to understand.
Speaker 3: Oh yo, yeah, what happened to talk to me?
Speaker 1: It'll be the same situation. If you're under contract, you're holding in, not holding out. You're holding in because you're there. Yeah, and you'd be standing on the sideline and you're laying down. Michael, what do you what you think people are gonna say?
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, Well, then you already you already, you already.
Speaker 1: First of all, all the eyes are on you. First of all, you're on the Cowboys. That's first and foremost. Second of all, you're on you're on the training table. Yeah, and I understand even if you just laid down for a quick second, they're gonna make it. They're gonna make it something. So you I want you to under staying. This is going to be a story until you get signed, until you until you're in uniform. So even even if you don't they don't give you a contract, everything you do is being monitor They're like, well, Michael don't care.
Speaker 2: Michael doesn't care.
Speaker 3: Whoa whoa whoa whoa That that that that is one thing we're not gonna let fly. We're not going to blame Michael. I'm not talking about you. I'm just saying in general, just that narrative about Michael not caring because he's laying out, Well, hello, goddamn own it.
Speaker 2: Don't care, on it, don't care, only doesn't played it.
Speaker 3: Huh.
Speaker 2: So let me ask you a question. Let's just say that was a T. J.
Speaker 1: Watt and he was holding out and he's laying down on the training table behind the bench.
Speaker 2: You don't think they will say anything about that.
Speaker 1: Let's just say, for the sake of argument, that's Jamar Chase and the Bengals offense are up and he's laying down behind the training table. You don't think they're gonna say anything about that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I understand what you're saying.
Speaker 2: That's all. That's all I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Michael needs to understand he's a superstar player and and you laying down.
Speaker 3: Look, I got you, I got you.
Speaker 2: It's just what's the word we'd like to use? The optics?
Speaker 3: The optics?
Speaker 2: Optics? Yeah? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Should I be laying down to if I own to talked about me the way he talked about him?
Speaker 1: So I'm like, hey, either the question is is he gonna miss uh?
Speaker 3: One?
Speaker 2: What is it? One point two million dollars a paycheck? That's the question.
Speaker 1: Is he is he willing to risk one point two million dollars pay check?
Speaker 2: Now? He needs to get huh?
Speaker 3: He's there, he's there if he.
Speaker 2: Doesn't play, well, you think they're gonna pay him if you don't play?
Speaker 3: My back hurt. I'm in. I'm here, I'm here. You said I'm on the contract, right, Okay, I'm in the contract. You know what, I have an injury. I have injury, but I'm here. Did you say didn't you say you don't want to pay me because it's a chance y'all missed some games last year?
Speaker 2: What how about what?
Speaker 3: I'm still here?
Speaker 1: But what the question is, does he want to go take it to agreement because the Cowboys gonna say we done got MRIs and we got everything and the doctor said everything everything checks out. So now you're gonna tie it up.
Speaker 3: It's a dirty game. Hey, it's a dirty game. The fact that the fact that it's even gotten to this point but one of the players that are not just one of the better player tever, one of the top three of this position. The fact that it's even gotten to this point. If it was any other team, Michael would have had his money. I think he would have been in training camp. He would have played in a preseason game or two. But Jerry has other ways of doing things when it comes to business. He knows obstructed to make sure that the noise in the chirping continue to stay around that franchise in general. But let you know, I'm gonna pay you when to get ready. You're not You're not. You're not you're not deboying, you're not bullying nothing. I don't care who you are. Yeah, Jerry said that when he sat down with Stephen A.
Speaker 2: Smith.
Speaker 3: I've been right. I've been been there for a long time.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: It's not heard hooping and hollering from players that were disgruntled about contracting their money for a long time. That ain't fnna move me. I'm not moving for that. I pay you when I get ready.
Speaker 1: You're not gonna bully Jerry. I've been watching the Netflix special.
Speaker 2: Oh why was it?
Speaker 3: It was good.
Speaker 1: It offers a lot of insight. It's what people look. Jerry wanted more credit. Jimmy was getting too much of it. Jerry wanted some of it, and Jimmy like, nah. And it came to a head that the man fired a coach that won two championships because he wanted credit and he wasn't getting.
Speaker 2: Enough of it.
Speaker 1: What he wanted Jimmy to say, Well, the way Jimmy explained it is like and Jerry said, I mean, Jerry out of his own mouth. You run the football. I'm gonna run the business side of it. But the business side is not nearly as enticing as the football side, because don't nobody care about the market who's selling all this and all the stuff that's up there. They care about that football team. And Jimmy put it together and it started. You know, Jerry wanted credit for the herschel Walker trade. People said with Jimmy, Jerry, Jimmy says, I can show you in my contract. Well, I was in the draft and I was in trying inside the trades. Jerry says, no, that didn't happen. Blah blah blah. It was just but if you watching it, you could see it building, even not knowing the backs. Now obviously we know this twenty just thirty years ago, o Joe, knowing what we know now, But even if you didn't know anything, if you just watch it, you're like, oh, yeah, that's thinking to come to a head.
Speaker 2: It's gonna come to a head. Absolutely. And the final when you know, Jerry walked through.
Speaker 1: They had just won the Super Bowl and the coach was drinking and Jerry walked through and held his glass up and all the other coaches held that class up.
Speaker 2: Jimmy did this.
Speaker 3: Hm hmm, Wait they showed that, No.
Speaker 2: They told the story.
Speaker 1: Oh man, Then Jerry seething because see Jerry wanted to be a part of it. And see that's the thing. See, that's why we tell people everybody rings are not the same. And everybody in an organization might get the ring, but unless you one of them, got one of the one of them guys, right, the fifty three them coaches, it's them, it had eh right, right, And so Jerry wanted to be a part of that. But Jimmy like, gro you not you not putting in one hundred hours a week. You getting to go home every night and sleep next to your wife. A lot of these guys, don't you watched your kids grow up. A lot of these got kids they gonna miss, they gonna blink, and the kids done graduated, and you wasn't there for a lot of their special occasion. So Jimmy, Jerry wanted to be a part of it. Jimmy resented the fact that just because you own the team, you want to be a part of it. You can be a part of this, but you can see it, you can see it coming. You can see it coming. You can see it coming. Both of them are very very prideful men. There's no question Jerry he the order of businessman. He could say there ain't a whole lot he can't sell. Not a whole lot he can't sell, and he can swear a lot of people to get on his side. But the way jim the way Jimmy had that team clicking on all cylinders, they might have won.
Speaker 2: Three to four in a row.
Speaker 3: Yeah damn.
Speaker 1: But yeah, Michael, I don't think Michael truly understands who he is, what the Cowboys are.
Speaker 2: And everything Texas.
Speaker 3: Hey, Michael just want to play football. Mike can't worried about that. Mike ain't worried about that motherfucker star on that helmet. Michael came in there. Okay, I got drafted, I'm here and played for the Cowboys. I understand and I understand what it comes with to to an extent, but I don't care nothing about that. As you can see, I want to play football. I've done something that not very many people are coming to this league and done after college. I would like to be compensated for what I'm not, not what I've already done, but what I'm going to continue to do in the Forestier refuture. Yeah, you have an owner who came out and said some of the most Outlantis. Things to say about a player that is actively under contract, I mean that that I'm still I'm still baffled.
Speaker 1: Three more years, I'm a I'm appalled. Jerry, say you want to dance with me? Or do you want or do you want to swim in shark infested waters for the next three years?
Speaker 2: You gotta dance with me?
Speaker 3: Ay at one point, if I'm not mistaken, being a Cowboy player in general was covenant. Being a coach the Dallas Cowboys was covenant.
Speaker 2: When they won, not no more. That's when they were treated like rock stars.
Speaker 1: That's when they was like Hollywood and they was all on the covers and and Troy and Michael and Time and all.
Speaker 2: Those they were winning. They were winning.
Speaker 1: There's still a big there's still a big brand, but all those guys are not getting on no cover, no magazine like it like it used to be. And this was before the internet. But they're gonna have to make a decision. Look, they got a week from Thursday. They play. Let's see what Jayken. Jerry says, We've got a deal. Jerry says, we got a deal.
Speaker 3: Jered thet they got his deal.
Speaker 2: That's what Jerry said.
Speaker 3: They don't have the deal that Michael Parsons and David Will the ghetto have agreed to Jersey.
Speaker 1: It doesn't matter, Jerry say, Hey, the three people involved here and you know who to lead. There's me, there's Michael, there's me, and the least important is the agent.
Speaker 3: Hey, you got to be careful, man, You got to be careful as a player. Got to be careful as a player. Thinking that is your friend, because this is what they do. They show, they show your true colors. Now they pull it, they pull us off right now. While you're valuable. You are value to me, which is why I'm treating you like this. Now while you think your value, I don't really want to pay you your worth. But a maturkey and try to shake your hands so I can undermine the agent who knows the tricks and who knows the tricks I'm trying to pull off. Ain't no fool now.
Speaker 1: Language that I just I just need Michael just needs to understand. Hey, bro, you don't want to stand and I know getting ay standing on that sideline. Now you see why all them coaches walk messed up. That's standing in three hours, man, that thing. Have your back tight. Hey, just go grab your ay, just go grab your seat on the bench. And you're sitting there and watching it on the jumbo tron. They probably have something to say about that. But hey, yeah, hey I'm here. I might here supporting my teammates.
Speaker 3: I got a question. Yes, Dallas Cowboys flipped up the Eagles week one Thursday night when you got winning.
Speaker 1: I think it's gonna be the most watched Thursday night football game in NFL history.
Speaker 2: Uh, I'm gonna take the Eagles.
Speaker 3: Okay, you sure you sure you be sure about that?
Speaker 2: Yep, yep. I want the Eagles.
Speaker 1: I want the Eagles to win forty five to seven. God damn, because I want my goel to get his money. You remember, back in ninety three when they started the season oh and two, the only way every got his money money.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, okay, okay, okay.
Speaker 1: I want Michael to get his money. I want I want Jalen Hurst to throw for three hundred. I want Say Kwan to run for a buck fifty. I want those two wide receivers to go over one hundred, damn. And I want the time of possession to be something like sixty minutes in game, something like thirty eight thirty nine minutes to twenty twenty one, because I want my goe to get his money. Oh, he's doing a model citizen. He's done everything, he's done everything the right way. Right now you want to hold up the man money.
Speaker 3: Oh man, that's that's that's I.
Speaker 1: Oh, we have a deal and my and he keeps saying, in my mind, we have a deal, a deal that a contract is a meeting between the minds. Michael doesn't believe you guys have a deal. That's why they have paper. So let me ask you a question, could they could they do this? And so in Jerry's mind, this ain't worth nothing in a NMFL binding. That's why they have contra. That's why they had to go to writing it down on paper. Because a contract, in its general form was a meeting of the mind.
Speaker 2: Two people had agreed and the word your word was your bond.
Speaker 1: And then what happened all of a sudden that ain't what I said, That ain't what I meant, and say, you know what, write it down. So in Jerry's mind and Michael and Michael mine, they don't have a contract, right, So it has to be a meeting of the mind before the contract to be binding.
Speaker 3: So oh, Jerry boy, Jerry tried to pull a fast on blank.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, for sure, it's move talker.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, oh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh Joe.
Speaker 1: It took twenty two years, but Jerry Jones had finally admitted he let his ego play a role in the end of the Dallas Cowboy glory days. Jones and former coach Jimmy Johnson ended their relationship after consecutive Super Bowl wins in nineteen ninety ninety three. Neither man had accept the responsibility for the demise of the relationship, but Jerry said, I lost my tolerance for a lot of things. I probably should have had a little bit more tolerance for Jimmy Johnson. Seriously, those are some big words coming from a man that once said five hundred coaches could have won those super bowls with this team. Since Swifzer, Jerry has hired five coaches who have delivered just two playoff wins.
Speaker 2: See the difference is you see what he.
Speaker 1: Said, Yeah, five coach, five hundred coaches could have won the super Bowl with that team. How many of those five hundred coaches could have built that team?
Speaker 2: Because that's what Jerry did.
Speaker 1: See You could have a lot of people that can live in the house old Joe, But how many people can build a house that they eat or she lives in. See that's what Jerry forgot. See that's what That's what Jerry forgot. Five hundred coaches could coach this team, yes, but how many of them can build the team. I'm sure there are a lot of coaches could have coached the Eagles. How many of them could do with Howard Roseman deal did and build it. See, you find very few coaches that that can coach and build. Jimmy built that from scratch. He built it from scratch.
Speaker 2: Now, Jerry started work. But the thing was, he wouldn't let Jimmy.
Speaker 1: He wouldn't let Jimmy go on on no meetings, no advertising, no marketing meetings. He wouldn't let Jimmy do that because that's not what Jimmy was. That's not what he happened. But said started rolling good all that credit everybody about Jimmy. Jimmy's built one of the best teams. Jimmy, Jimmy, he didn't hear enough.
Speaker 2: Jerry.
Speaker 1: He looks back, he looked, he looked at it. He could have they could have easily had a team fifteen year run, just like the Patriots had a twenty They could have got at least half that because you got to realize Emmit, Troy, and Mike was in their prime. I think Mike was the oldest at twenty eight.
Speaker 3: Dam Will they ever get back to that type of prominence again in domination? Yeah?
Speaker 1: No, league is two balance now, right, and they don't. They don't get consistent of enough play at the quarterback position.
Speaker 2: M hm.
Speaker 1: And nobody's gonna trade you or Charles. You're not gonna be able to get a time and nobody's gonna trade you or Charles Haley level defensive player.
Speaker 2: And it's prime.
Speaker 3: Well here you got you got one not too far off now based on what we have to work with in today's NFL. You got one. You don't want to pay right.
Speaker 1: Now, Yeah, but think about it.
Speaker 3: Got a difference maker.
Speaker 1: Troy Hall of Famer, Emmitt Hall of Famer, Michael Hall of Famer, Larry Allen Hall of Famer, Charles Haley Hall of Famer, Deon Sanders Hall of Famer. That's six. Darren Woodson is on the CUSP, So that's six guys. So how many Hall of Famers you think they got on that team right now. And the offensive line was dominant.
Speaker 3: And boy were big bright.
Speaker 1: Big easy step Gogan, the two of Nay Newton. Larry came later, but they were dominant.
Speaker 3: And I went to the Pro Bowl with Larry one year. Man, that joke was strong. Remember they had them competitions. Competition, Yeah, the racing and the man Larry Allen must have benched five man twenty million time, like, man, what the hell?
Speaker 1: But I saw this episode and Jerry is telling the story after he fired Jimmy. He comes home and he gets in the bed and he lays next to his wife, Jean, and so she said, you just couldn't help yourself, say you just can't let good be good. You just cut and cut it. And as he's saying it, he starts, he almost starts to way up because a lot of times, ohto when things are good, you think they're gonna be like that forever. And he realizes now just how hard it is, because see, when things come at me to think about it. He bought the team in eighty nine, and then by ninety three he has back to back Super Bowls ninety one ninety two, So it's fourth year of buying the team. He's in the super Bowl Bowl the fifth year. They got two super Bowls in five years? What you think happening? They think that's gonna be easy. Look at the team we got. A quarterback is in his mid twenties, running back like twenty five, Michael Irban like twenty eight.
Speaker 2: Huh, ego, you see what happens now.
Speaker 1: He said he had something on his desk that if you don't care who gets the credit, you can conquer the world. He said he had that on his desk for twenty years. But see the way he had it placed on his desk. It was facing out. He never read it. Everybody else that would come in that would read that, but he should have had one that was facing him.
Speaker 2: Also.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh that's crazy.
Speaker 1: They were special, you had We played them. I mean we played them. We played him in ninety two, the first year they won. We took him right down to the why they end up scoring they beat us? Uh, but I mean I think they scored late in the ball game. I think they scored like two minutes to go to beat us. And then we played them again in ninety five, a year they won. They were they were good, They were they were really really really really really good, and they were young, and they were athletic, and they were physical. They were a physical team. Jimmy, do you hear Jimmy. Early on they say, hey, let the mind control the body, don't let the body control the mind.
Speaker 2: I like that.
Speaker 1: Hey, Jimmy, Hey, Jimmy said, I'm pushing them further that you could think you can go. Jimmy said, hey, dude, had asthma. He said, hey, have asthma on that field. Don't you have asthma on this damn field? Have asthma over there. Damn, Jimmy, the band can't help.
Speaker 2: We ain't having an asthma attacks man.
Speaker 1: Man, Jimmy didn't play. Jimmy did not play. But uh, I think I think Jerry looking at that and seeing it could and the realization like, damn, we really had it. We really had a chance to be the Patriots before the Patriots.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you don't think you don't.
Speaker 1: Think that, mister Crabb got tired of hearing coach Belichick, Coach Belichick, Coach Belichick, Tom Brady, Tom Brady, Tom Brady.
Speaker 2: Man, let me come on, let me keep on collecting these rings.
Speaker 3: I'm the ring collector and all they cared about.
Speaker 2: That's it. That's it.
Speaker 3: You know, two different two different type, two different types of personalities too, two different approaches to the game and how I'm going to conduct myself and not only owning a team, but allowing those below me to do their job.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think the thing is. But mister Crabb understood. I think he learned from Jerry's mistakes. I ain't going to mess this up, right, I'm not going to mess this up.