Speaker 1: I Am all in again.
Speaker 2: Oh it's just you.
Speaker 3: I Am All in Town meeting with Suzanne French and Tara suit An iHeartRadio podcast. Hey guys, welcome to another episode of I'm All in Town Meeting with myself, Tara and Suzanne.
Speaker 2: Hello.
Speaker 1: Hello, we are.
Speaker 3: Talking about season one, episode fifteen, Christopher Returns, which aired on March first.
Speaker 1: Two thousand and one. Wow.
Speaker 3: You know it's one of those episodes where you're like, yeah, that happens. You know.
Speaker 2: I felt so bad for Rory this entire episode. Yeah, it's like her dad is being an infant, her mom is being an infant, her grandparents want nothing to do with her. Like I just every every scene I felt bad for Rory. Emily was the bright light for me in this episode.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Are you just referring to the scene in the kitchen when she's bringing that scene?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I think it showed.
Speaker 3: Like who Emily is, Like she has a tough exterior, but I think she means well on the inside and she always has. And but it's kind of in this like watching the series from the beginning, it's the first time we see that, like, yeah, you know, she's like I hope you know, whatever was said, you know, it has nothing to do with you, and you know, Rory knows that. I think she's a smart girl, but it still doesn't it's not nice to hear that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just you know, the the way that Christopher's parents behaved towards Rory, like they put her on the spot, and then when she didn't like have a reply right away, then they're like, oh, yeah, you know, they just like totally wrote her off, which like, yeah, I don't.
Speaker 3: Know, like how do you treat anyone that way, let alone your granddaughter?
Speaker 1: You know, like it's and then also.
Speaker 3: It made me, Okay, I actually do have a bone to pick here. In the last episode, Christopher said that his parents moved back to Connecticut.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 3: In this episode, Emily calls to make plans and says they're in town.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which is it.
Speaker 2: Right, Like are they staying or not?
Speaker 3: Are they are they looking for a place to buy so there's visiting, Like it made it sound like, oh, this is gonna be the only time they're here and this is the only Friday night dinner that we have, so let's do it. But I was just like, I don't know, maybe I missed something in the middle I'm like, he said that they're coming, they're moving back, and then Emily was like, oh, well, they're in town, so we have this one night.
Speaker 2: That's again, right, And they never really clarify where they've been this whole time, because they do say that they haven't seen Rory since she was a baby. I mean it's been sixteen years, So where where were they this all time? Because when Christopher's dad passes away, they're living in Connecticut and obviously there before because that's where Christopher grew up. So I don't know, like where have they been They don't.
Speaker 3: I don't know, but they basically knew that Laura I got pregnant and that Rory was alive and didn't care anything else to learn about her or to hear from her.
Speaker 1: So it was just very kind of messed up.
Speaker 2: The whole the whole thing from Starkey Finish was messed up, even from the very opening where you can see Rory is like so excited that Christopher's back in town. She really I really liked the way that Alexis played it because she really was like a little girl kid, so happy that her dad was home, and she's like putting one hundred blankets on the couch, you know, thinking he's gonna something's different this time. You know, he's gonna stay. And she was so excited and then she wanted to show him around the town and everything, and then you know, everything with like the credit card gets declined.
Speaker 3: And yeah, I mean you kind of forget that now. Alexis is not sixteen or sixteen in this episode. But I think most of the series you think of Rory as older because she's mature, and this was the first time where you're like, oh, she's sixteen, and sixteen year olds, you know, they still want the love from their parents, right. And I also it was actually it's funny you say that because I noticed it more towards the end, the very last scene when Christopher is leaving and.
Speaker 1: They have that conversation in front of the house.
Speaker 3: I felt like she was very childlike in that scene, like, oh, my dad's leaving, but not in a bad way.
Speaker 1: It was just like it was an observation.
Speaker 3: But it's funny that you say the beginning because I noticed the end that is fight.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean you could see she really she was proud to show him off in town to meet people, and and you could see, she really wanted to have like a normal father daughter relationship.
Speaker 1: As normal as it could be for her, right right.
Speaker 2: And you know, Laura I at the beginning was like trying to put the brakes on that. She's like, you know, he's gonna do what he wants to do, you know. And and she even liked Laura I. Talking to Christopher, she was very skeptical about him. She's like, what are you doing here? What are you doing here? And you know, she called him out on his business, like how is your business really doing? You know, she was very skeptical about him, and I was so disappointed when she slept with him. I'm like, seriously, it was like kissing back in the classroom.
Speaker 3: And kissing at the end when they kiss on the lips at the end, I'm like stop it.
Speaker 2: And it's like, seriously, can you just control your hormones for thirty minutes? For I was so annoyed with her, And obviously, you know, obviously Christopher was like, you know, he wants to get in your pants and get married, but yeah, let's get married and then get to know each other. Give me a break. But you know, it just took me back to that episode with Max in the classroom. It's like, just be a grown up for just a little bit to you know, for your kid's sake.
Speaker 3: I I don't know it was the first episode because I think she's like, what thirty two in this, right, I'm thirty two. So for the first time watching this, I'm like, she is my age, and mind you, I do not have a child, but I would like to think I am more reasonable.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, And.
Speaker 3: It just made me think I'm like at this age, I could not think that way right, like like we're the same age, and I was like, I just can't picture it. And also like sleeping with Christopher on the balcony of your parents' house and your bed, I was, well, my first thought was how long was my like thirty minutes?
Speaker 1: Like did no one notice? They were both gone?
Speaker 3: Like come on, like you both, I mean the car ride home you can kind of tell. I think Rory was like something happened, but.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I mean, the house is so big, I don't know.
Speaker 2: This was the time that Rory was sitting in the kitchen by herself until Emily walked in.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and your mom is having sex with your dad while after all that, Hey, it's.
Speaker 2: Like, seriously, after all that that happened, and you know, your kid is feeling like crap because of everything that went on, and you're gonna go have sex on a balcony, Like, oh my god.
Speaker 3: I get that.
Speaker 2: Lorela is very emotionally immature because her her development pretty much stopped when she got pregnant, so she's really like a sixteen year old inside her head still, And I get that, but at the same time, it's like, really, just like control yourself and put your kid first for a little bit and think how she's feeling. Because this, this whole thing was a catastrophe for Rory, you know, being rejected by her other set of grandparents, and it just was I don't know. I was supposed to be dramatic, like we're supposed to react to it as viewers, but I I was so mad at Laura I and then I was mad at Christopher because he's a complete idiot, and I don't know, I was just mad at everybody except Emily, which is weird for me because usually Emily.
Speaker 1: Is my least for it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but yeah, it was just crazy drama.
Speaker 3: Crazy drama, and the Christopher saying let's get married. I was like, what, Like it was one of those things where I'm like, I understand we wanted to well, the writers wanted to make it be like he's just so out of it, unaware of anything, but I was like really, And.
Speaker 1: Then like even at the end when I don't know, that.
Speaker 3: Exchange outside when he was leaving the very last scene just kind of bugged me as a whole because well, Okay, one, I found it very weird of all the like dating talk in front of Rory if Laura I previous to Max had never told Rory who she was seeing. But then like Christopher's relationship is like all the talk, I don't know it. Like, I'm very fortunate that my parents are sold together and I never had to deal with that, But like, I guess my question is is that normal to have like talked to in front of a sixteen year old that your parents are dating other people, even if it's casual. I would say, if it's a serious relationship, that makes sense, but like dating for a couple of months just doesn't make sense to bring your daughter into the mix.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I agree with that. And the other thing too, that talking about that conversation, the conversation in the kitchen. They're having this whole conversation about getting married and you know, what did the sex mean to you? Blah blah blah. They're standing right outside Rory's bedrooms.
Speaker 3: Are.
Speaker 2: Yeah, do they really think she's not hearing all of this?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: That probably wasn't. You know, we're not supposed to like notice that detail.
Speaker 1: I guess. Yeah.
Speaker 3: On a completely random note, did you notice on the baseball field that it was raining and they were like covered by a tarp?
Speaker 2: Yes, and you could hear it, and you hear it.
Speaker 1: You could hear it.
Speaker 3: There was that you could hear it, And then there were scenes that were like definitely not raining, and then like some it was kind of like at the at the bleachers, like those cutaways, it was like you could hear the rain.
Speaker 1: And then the scene.
Speaker 3: On the balcony when they're like about to have sex. Did you notice there's like a cut in the bottom of the screen. I guess the camera lens. There's like a like a.
Speaker 1: Hair Oh no, I didn't know.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, it's like the scene where they're like, oh no, it's either.
Speaker 1: Right before sex or right after. One of the scenes on the balcony.
Speaker 3: And it's pretty quick, but it's the whole scene. There's like a hair or like a like a crack on the and it was I was like, at first, I thought it was a TV and I want to like clean it.
Speaker 1: I'm like, that's weird. But it moved, it moved with the camera.
Speaker 2: I didn't even notice that. I'm gonna have to go back that one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that one caught my eye.
Speaker 3: Oh sorry, but uh, the whole the whole episode, because I'm guessing, so this was a whole week they film.
Speaker 1: Usually an episode like that takes a week.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Los Angeles was rainy that week because if he noticed, even like the town scenes, like everywhere is wet, which usually they do, but you could tell it was like real wet, yeah, like from rain which helped.
Speaker 1: But it was like the first time I was like, oh, this fell is like cozy.
Speaker 2: And if you go back to the scene that there was a there was a cutaway where Dean and Christopher shook hands and the camera was far enough away because they were under the tart, but you the camera was far enough away that the rain is fault like you can see the actual rain falls are shaking.
Speaker 1: Hands but not on them, right.
Speaker 2: But yeah, but and then like the scenes with were the like Luke on the baseball diamond there it wasn't raining there, no, but then the bleacher scenes it was raining even though. Yeah, so it was like it started or stopped over the course.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I was also trying to think because.
Speaker 3: I grew up in like until I was like eight, like in Glendale Bourbank area, and I was like, what park is that? The whole time I was like what park is this? Like so residential, like what baseball field is this? But yeah, that was that was my I don't know.
Speaker 1: That episode, Like.
Speaker 3: It's one of those memorable ones, right, like specifically that scene when she's like I hate.
Speaker 1: Bush and you're like really.
Speaker 3: You know, like it's one of those Like the second the episode started, I was like, I know exactly what line is coming.
Speaker 1: But it was an entertaining episode, Like I didn't.
Speaker 2: It was, yeah, like it definitely, you know it was. It was good to watch and gave you some emotions and and stuff. So I enjoyed it. I did. One thing that caught my attention was when they were talking about it was towards the beginning there, the three of them were in the living room and Christopher made some comment. Rory says something about I have to go do homework, and Christopher says Friday.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So why weren't they at Friday night dinner if it was if the next day was Saturday, that it must have been Friday night. Why didn't No, no.
Speaker 1: No, no, it was she wanted to hold on.
Speaker 3: I understood it one second, unless I understood it incorrectly. Basically, she was saying like she wanted to get ahead.
Speaker 2: Right, But he said tomorrow is Saturday.
Speaker 1: Yeah, then you're right.
Speaker 3: I didn't catch that. I was just thinking that it was all I don't know, Gilmore girls. For me, all seems like one day anyway, So.
Speaker 2: I know, I know I didn't catch that.
Speaker 1: But that's a good catch.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh yeah, tomorrow he says, tomorrow's Saturday, you're right.
Speaker 1: And then the next day, so the next day, that means.
Speaker 3: They in the morning early, they go to Dean's baseball, right thing, and then they go into town.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: Emily calls Loralai.
Speaker 3: To say his parents are in town and we'll be there, and then they go to dinner.
Speaker 2: It's like a big gap because it's Saturday morning and they're in the diner, she's on the phone with Emily, and then the very next scene they're showing up for dinner.
Speaker 3: So so it had to be that, like he's been there the whole week.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they just didn't show us anything that happened.
Speaker 3: Well, because it makes sense because you're right, then tomorrow is Saturday because they went to Dean's baseball game on a Saturday morning, it wouldn't have been Friday, right, Yeah, okay, so they just skipped like five days.
Speaker 2: Yeah exactly, which is okay because there was so much drama at that dinner. We yeah, see everything that happened the week before because it was probably.
Speaker 1: Boring find you we're just being nitpicky now.
Speaker 2: And one thing, okay, this is a completely random microscopic detail, but there was a scene where it was right after they met Taylor on the street and they're standing outside of the market and there's a street sign behind them. This is I think it said like Cherry Street or Cherry Avenue something like that. We've never seen I don't remember ever seeing a street sign in Stars Hall. So that's now something that my brain is going to look for in every single episode.
Speaker 1: Because that's funny.
Speaker 3: The one thing that caught my eye is the scene where Luke is basically left alone and he's like I think he was like closing up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's another reason I'm met at Laura life.
Speaker 1: But yet well yes that too.
Speaker 3: But if you look and I maybe it was okay, Yeah, I just I just paused it.
Speaker 1: The reflection in the window. You can see the.
Speaker 3: Camera man moving like with Luke. It's at twenty nine fifty two, and the camera like pans and you can see the reflection of a cameraman like moving back, like holding a handheld camera. And it really took me out of the episode. I'm not gonna lie, Oh totally, Yeah, that's funny.
Speaker 2: You see the camera guy and then you see like the assistant guy next to ye me funny.
Speaker 1: You literally see like, yeah, it's like the guy next to them helping move the camera.
Speaker 2: That's so funny.
Speaker 1: It took me.
Speaker 3: I like actually rewound it like twice because I got I literally forgot what had happened in that scene because I was like so distracted by this man in the reflection, and then then I didn't see the guy again in the in the reflection.
Speaker 1: When Lorelei shows up in her I love Lucy, Lucy.
Speaker 3: And Epple pajamas, which, by the way, I googled those pajamas. If I can find them, I would tell them, Oh, but I don't think you would want someone's used pajamas on Poshmark.
Speaker 2: No, that's true.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and literally with like stains on it. Someone's selling it for like sixty bucks. I was like, yeah, no, I'm okay. But there are different versions of Lucy and Ethel pajamas, but those specific ones it was.
Speaker 1: It was like a brand I think called Nick and Nora too. Oh okay, it was funny.
Speaker 3: I like went down a rabbit hole of like, oh, I love Lucy pajamas.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna need to find some now.
Speaker 1: But that was my That was my one contribution. No, no clown pillow, right, I didn't see what No, I didn't see.
Speaker 2: The clown pillow. The only other thing I noticed was in the very final scene where they're in the diner and Lorlai has painted everything and Luke walks into the diner. The curtains were kind of like folded over the curtain rod like to pull them out of the way. But then when they cut to the shot from inside the diner, the curtains are like hanging down normally. Huh, So it's like they tucked them up so she could paint, but then didn't.
Speaker 3: I still I was still looking at the from the last episode, the door number that changed that one level. I went back and watched it, and I was like, whoa, how did like no one notice that in the moment?
Speaker 2: I know, why why would they even why would they even need to use two different doors.
Speaker 3: Like, yeah, that's a good question, Like, isn't it the same take unless.
Speaker 1: They like did a pick up on a completely different day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it could have been like maybe they switched it out for some other production or something, but they still had the same sign on it. But yeah, yeah, but yeah they I don't know how that got overlooked.
Speaker 1: But it's a mystery. Well overall, I mean it's an entertaining episode. Entertaining episode, it was.
Speaker 2: It was disappointing behavior from the adults, but yeah, definitely it was. It was good. It was. It was you know, there was some drama in there and it kind of moved, you know, moved the story along.
Speaker 1: So yeah, from it.
Speaker 3: Was definitely better after in my opinion, last week's episode.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, woke me back up right, and it pulled you back into the story. Like yeah, talked about before, like the DNNA read thing, it kind of didn't. It was just filler, Like it just exactly, it was just filler. So yeah, it got us back into the into the drama and the town and all that stuff.
Speaker 1: March first, I guess Sweeps is back.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all right, Well next episode is going to be Season one, episode sixteen, Starcross Lovers and other Strangers.
Speaker 1: We'll see you next week meeting adjourned.
Speaker 2: Hey everybody, and don't forget Follow us on Instagram at I Am all In podcast and email us at Gilmore at iHeartRadio dot com.