Speaker 1: Hey, guys, welcome to another episode of Eating While Broke. We are not in La today. We are over here at eighty five South Studios with the special guests of the day. Van Lengthen is in the building. You guys may know him as podcaster, Academy Award winning executive producer. You know, but I like to acknowledge you as the man that stood up to Kanye West in the TMZ office commissioner of the Commissioner. And we're gonna leave the commission of the BBI off. But Van, before we get into where you're at today, I want you to take me back to where you were when you were broke. What dish you're gonna have.
Speaker 2: Cook for us to eat today, so you can start with that.
Speaker 3: So I get out of college around I would say two thousand and three. Two thousand and three. I get out of college, and there's this like transitional period in my life because I was always interested in people's stories, and everybody's story seems so linear. Every story seems linear when you're at the end of it. Everybody has a moment that something happened for them. Everybody has a moment that they realize something. But when you're in the middle of it. You don't know you'll know when it's gonna happen for you, you don't know how it's going to happen for you. Certain people have more certainty than other people do, but all you can do is work and try. And I get to this point, and it's this weird, odd point where I'm like, nothing that I thought was going to happen and or no way that I wanted to go is the way that I wanted to go.
Speaker 1: So you're graduated, we're taking back to when you graduated, right, And.
Speaker 3: So I'm working at best Buy And this is the same time that The College Dropout has come out. Around that same time, Conye's first album, and what he's talking about great album. He's talking about disillusioned high school graduates who now have to realize that they're not going to conquer the world, that what they're going to do is enter into the American workforce and they're going to be a part of something, and everything that they did it's not just not as meaningful as they thought it was going to be. In a way, it's spiritually debilitating. And the song is the whole album is about breaking free of that. Really it's about saying, hey, like I dropped out, but I dropped out. I took a path that is, let's admire but in a way drowned upon in order to be more alive. Like I'm not killing myself, and so I'm to the point to where I'm like having an exisential crisis. I'm like, yo, I'm killing myself. It's not it's not working. And so many things happen within this two year period. My parents divorced. My mom leaves the house, and that was very transformative for me, because, like when a woman leaves a home right away, everything gets less.
Speaker 1: What you were you were talking about after college though? Were you living at home with your parents?
Speaker 3: Sure?
Speaker 1: Oh you were during college?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I went to Southern University in bat Ruge. Had gone away to school and then I came back and I went to Southern University because I wanted to be around all of my friends. So I was still living in home. The school was about ten minutes away from where we lived.
Speaker 1: Okay, so how old were you when your parents were.
Speaker 3: Like two or twenty three?
Speaker 1: And so you actually got to see it.
Speaker 3: I got to see it, right, I got to see it. There's two people divorcing and not mommy and daddy divorcing. And I also got to see.
Speaker 1: Just what do you mean they're not mommy and daddy divorcing.
Speaker 3: It wasn't mommy and daddy divorcing when you're ten and your parents break up, you're thirteen, fourteen, mommy and daddy are divorcing. In my life, Crystal and Terry got a divorce because I had enough of a frame of mind or a frame of reference, should I say, for these people to know who they kind of really were at that point. So I knew the anger that my father had, I knew the paranoia that my mother had. I knew that these were two people that were on diverging spiritual growth the journey, should I say, and that they were no longer compatible, and like what that means, Like when you're a kid, it's like, oh, you guys are gonna get split up. Okay, who am I going to live with? It's not the concern for me. The concern for me is do these people still get to live the version of their life that they want to live now that they're no longer together? And so when I saw that, you know, my mom, I was actually happy for them that they had made the decision. I was happy for them that my mother, I thought, Okay, this is a new life for her. She had felt beaten down by a lot of things emotionally, she had felt unsupported by a lot of things emotionally, and obviously, with my father doing some of the things that he was doing, he must have been unhappy too. So maybe this is a new life for them. I'm young enough to think at that point that severing that type of relationship in some way could be a positive for those two people as much as they loved each other, and loved each other until my father passed away. But immediately she left the house and it was two niggas living in the house that didn't know how to do shit, Like the house just became It's like, it's just like, I.
Speaker 1: Remember, were you young, the youngest two or something? Who are you the youngest in your family? Because you said it was just the two, Yeah I was.
Speaker 3: I was the youngest in the family. I was the only one still around. My sister had gone. My dad had other kids, but they were gone. But like, so it's just me and him.
Speaker 1: Your dad had other kids, Yeah, what do you mean he had other kids?
Speaker 3: A nigga. You know what I mean A lot? Yeah, yeah, that's what I'm saying. So it was, it was that's another reason why you're happy for her to go and have a chance at a life that is for her.
Speaker 1: Yeah right, And so you.
Speaker 3: Know, me and him are there and it's like she she's your mom, but she's also like a genius in creating. She's a genius in keeping things running. She you get taught this lesson of misogyny, and the lesson is that somebody leaves the house and they gonna make a whole bunch of money. And my mother worked too and made a lot of money. But somebody leaves the house and gona makes a lot of money, and then they come back into a castle and everything that they touch inside the house turns to go. But you don't realize that there's somebody who's keeping your life beautiful. There's someone who's who's attention to detail, somebody whose ability to multitask, somebody who who looks out for things. Somebody who when something's broke they go, Okay, you gotta fix that. Somebody who when something doesn't work, they okay, we gotta get it working. And the moment that she left. It was the house crumbled and fell apart, like the turn on the stove, pop, pop the ille pop. And I look at him and he looks at me, and I'm like, right, she gets that fixed. That motherfucker popped till we got out of the house. Him never fixed it, right. The washing machine broke, never got fixed, you know what I mean. It's just just like little stuff like that. Like my mother used to come out. This was a big, beautiful home on about sixty acres that we had had. She would come out and she would spray paint like like power washed the outside of the house. A where everything like just me and him were just too focused on the individual things that we were doing to care about all of that. The place was just less beautiful because the woman of the house had gone wow. And so during that whole time, I'm also broke. I'm also broke. I'm I'm I'm working at best Buy. I'm like, I'm treading water. I don't know what I want to do. And then Hurricane Katrina comes. And so when Hurricane Katrina comes, this is like a weird two year period of my life, Like everything changes, like society crumbles, everybody strapped for cash because you've taken on so much more. You got relatives living with you that come down from down in the city. Everything's different and now everyone's trying to stretch that dollar. You're eating different, you're feeling different, and it just doesn't feel like there's any abundance. It didn't feel like that in my life. And so that's when that was the most. That was the point, honestly, from two thousand and three to two thousand and five, that was the point where I figured out myself. I moved to LA in two thousand and six. By the time I got to LA, I could fucking handle anything. I could handle anything. I had buried homeboys, I had put relaty in the ground. There was nothing the world had showed me like some really ill shit. And so when I got out there and was dealing with LA, it was a piece of cake.
Speaker 1: So you also navigated, So what this are you gonna have us eat today? Real cheese, grilled cheese. It's the staple and the most simplastic and delicious meal. Did you have to add any tomato, soup or anything? Or you just didn't the legendary.
Speaker 3: Fuck all that butter bread cheese shout out to my uncle David resting piece. Shout out to my uncle Mark, rest in peace. These guys taught me the beauty the grilled cheese. And you know where they learned it at?
Speaker 1: Where?
Speaker 3: So you think, Nah, where you think they learned the grilled cheese at these two uncles? What do you think?
Speaker 1: Someone screamoda jail, jail.
Speaker 3: I could tell what y'a you've been. I can tell what kind of life you'd have been living. They they they learned the grilled cheese in jail. They were grilled cheese mechanics.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 3: They came back in here and they was like, I don't know it was jail because they because because what because yeah? Because because we know right there was grilled cheese mechanics.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, let's see, let's judge your grilled cheese.
Speaker 3: I haven't made it in a long time because the nigga is not broke no more.
Speaker 1: You know what I've been doing this show for. This will be our this is our third season. We're taping right now. And some of the dishes are so good on this show that I go home and I'll make it broken, not broke, make it They're good.
Speaker 3: Butter is a very it's very sensual. Look at butter. Wash this wash thiss, just wash this. Oh daddy, you hear that. Look at the butter go Oh my god, butter is like delectable.
Speaker 1: Right, Oh yeah, I used butter on my cooking.
Speaker 3: Really, what's that? What's that? What's that? Blood pressure? Like?
Speaker 1: I don't know, but I'm really healthy. We're really healthy.
Speaker 3: Like what you get a church, Well, I don't know.
Speaker 1: If you could do a good grilled cheese. I'm watching the way you're making this girl.
Speaker 3: It's not gonna be good.
Speaker 1: I'm concerned. I'm concerned because I feel like you are gonna butcher this grilled cheese.
Speaker 3: It's it's not gonna be good. I can already tell you it's not gonna be good. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: I mean, yeah, because these jail birds, they definitely jail the right way. How much cheese is gonna put on this grilled cheese?
Speaker 3: A lot?
Speaker 1: This is how you did it, broke. Yeah, man, you put three pieces of cheese on your broke grilled cheese.
Speaker 3: I don't know if you know this, but like I'm a big ass nigga.
Speaker 1: Yeah nah, bro, you're being judged and right now this grilled cheese is looking like it's not cool. We're gonna see.
Speaker 3: We'll see well, I mean, we'll see what happens. Cash. Your question, is this show to judge people to get inspired?
Speaker 1: You know what? The first the first season and a half, I was very nice with people's feelings, and then I had someone make tunic castro.
Speaker 3: Motherfucker.
Speaker 1: It was terrible. Well, we tape in LA. Usually like eighty five did this whole thing for us. Shout outs to eighty five. They did the whole cook top and whole build this whole kitchen. I'm in love with it. Now I'm gonna have to come to Atlanta more. But yeah, I like it. It's cool. I haven't seen much out here yet.
Speaker 3: Where do you travel to? Where do you go?
Speaker 1: What do you mean? Where do I go?
Speaker 3: And where do you be at?
Speaker 1: I'll be I'll be at LA, New.
Speaker 3: York, LA New York is Okay New York, Okay, La, New York.
Speaker 1: I'm from there. You know. Let's focus on y'all story for sure. Okay. So you graduate, you moved to LA and you graduate with what degree?
Speaker 3: I have a political science and English degree?
Speaker 1: Okay? And your goal in life before you left.
Speaker 3: College was to be an attorney.
Speaker 1: Okay, and then you got to La to.
Speaker 3: Be uh in the movie game?
Speaker 1: Okay? What happened in between those times to make you change your career?
Speaker 3: I spoke to a lot of attorneys.
Speaker 1: You found out they don't like their jobs.
Speaker 3: What I found out. So, my brother Jabriel is one of the most brilliant people I've ever known. Super brilliant, like ridiculously smart, right smart in a way that's almost inaccessible. And he went to Morehouse here in Atlanta, and then he went to Stanford, one of the greatest law schools in the world. And he didn't have a specific love for the law, if you ask me, but he is just an incredibly successful person. And it didn't seem like to me like that was going to be a fulfilling life. What I like to do is commiserate, talk, create. Obviously I like to go back and forth on all of that stuff, But more than anything, I want to create things that made people think and discuss. And I don't think that that was going to be something that was possible as an attorney.
Speaker 1: Okay. Now a little backstory, So did all your siblings graduate college? No, okay, or any any of them, similar to yours shows, similar to your path.
Speaker 3: My sister's a poet. Okay, she's one of the greatest poets in the.
Speaker 1: World, really, I think. So she made money on it.
Speaker 3: She made no money on it, but she is ridiculously talented. And I'm inspired by her every single day because she creates no matter what the circumstance is, and that, to me, is more impressive than somebody who gets flown all over the world to create. She creates because she must create, and not because it's incredibly lucrative for her to create. So it's in her. It's in her, and that makes me feel good.
Speaker 1: So you get to LA, what's the next step.
Speaker 3: I work for a place called Capricorn Programs for a while.
Speaker 1: What do you do there?
Speaker 3: I produce a show called Cybernet. It's a video game show. So when I first get out to LA, I am playing video games for a living and then reporting on those video games on this show, Cybernet, and writing for the show. Okay, and then then something happens. What happens that company goes belly up financial crisis. So when that company goes belly up, guess what I get to do?
Speaker 1: Live on unemployment? Hell yeah, I love unemployment.
Speaker 3: Yep. And I become one of the world's foremost pick up basketball players. Every gym in La you see me, twenty four hour fitness, you see me.
Speaker 1: Oh you didn't try to hustle on top of the unemployment.
Speaker 3: I definitely did. But the most thing that I did was just play ball and vibe and right. I wrote so much. I wrote so much, so much stuff.
Speaker 1: But how long were you on unemployment? A year?
Speaker 3: Two?
Speaker 1: You can be on unemployment two years.
Speaker 3: You have to remember that at this time it was the financial crisis, so they were extending benefits to meet people's the years. It's two eighty and then it's like going into twenty ten basics, and let me tell you what happens. There's a true story. So I'm on unemployment, I'm doing my thing. I'm walking into the gym LA Fitness, Hollywood. Everybody there knows me. I'm walking into the gym. I'm walking into the gym. And as I'm walking into the gym, a lady outside the gym says, hey, you want to take place in the c you want to take part in the survey. Like yeah, sure, no problem. She's like, take part in the survey, and we like what you say, will give you five hundred dollars.
Speaker 1: Oh shit.
Speaker 3: And I was like, hell yeah, okay, so I do the whole thing. I do my whole little stick. I'm on a little small camera that she has, and she goes, we like you, we want you to come out to this place, do even more stuff right and take place in this gigantic, bigger survey. Well, it's not a big deal. We're gonna have you try out these products. And when you try these products, we're just gonna ask you what you think about them. I'm like, cool, the problem, all right? So I decide to go to this thing. We cheese it up right now.
Speaker 1: It actually looks really good. Impressed.
Speaker 3: And so I go to this thing into Van Eys, you know where van So I go in there and I'm into the little deal or whatever, and a guy goes, Okay, this is what you're gonna do. I want you to go in here, take a shower and use this shampoo. They're doing product testing. Take a shower, use this shampoo. Right when you get out of there, brush your tea, use this toothbrush in this toothpaste. Cool. It's like, don't do this don't do that stuff. We took those products off the list. And then when you come in here, we want you to shave with this razor. And I'm like, well, I'm not shaving my beer. He goes, yeah, well you can just shave at the top and on the and right here. Just tell us what you think about it. I'm like, cool, no problem. So after that, cool, I do all this stuff. I get into this little room and inside of this room is two other guys in the room and they got towels on and I'm looking around. I'm like, yo, what's going on here? What is this? I try to weigh myself on the scale. Scale doesn't work. I'm looking in the room. The room looks like a gym, except I know that we're not in a gym. Like, what's going on? So I start using the uh, the the razor, doing like this. And when I start using the razor, somebody jumps out with a camera and they say, hey, are you ready for the Gilet Fusion pro Glide Challenge. It's a commercial. Oh my gosh, And I'm like, oh shit. And so I'm using the thing. I'm doing the whole thing. I'm going back and forth to God I'm having fun. After the thing is over, I walk in there and everybody's clapping.
Speaker 1: Like, hey, why how are you doing?
Speaker 3: You did a great job. You're in a commercial boom and boom, So don't make five hundred dollars. I make three thousand dollars.
Speaker 1: Yet the freaking out so high because.
Speaker 3: It's a uh, we're done, baby special.
Speaker 1: That's a really good looking grilled cheese. Look at that. The cheese is bubbling, guys.
Speaker 3: It's bubbling over and it's a little buttered in.
Speaker 1: I just learned a trick and making grilled cheese. What is it to stack a lot of cheese in the middle.
Speaker 3: I mean, cheese is actually a pretty staple ingredient to the.
Speaker 1: Grilled cheese, I know, but I usually just put like one or two. Yours is like, first of all, you did it really impressed me.
Speaker 3: I tell you, I tell you, I tell you why though that's why you're healthy, though you said you were healthy before.
Speaker 1: Look at the like the even colored color. I don't know if it's you did it really impressive grilled cheese?
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, just low and slow. Okay. So look, so I'm there and they're like, okay, so it's Saturday. So the five hundred bucks that you were promised, you get that it's Saturday, so you get double the session fee on that, plus like whatever you get like a holding fee and all of that stuff. So I ended up making like three thousand dollars for this commercial. Let me tell you what kind of American I am. I come home and I'm doing my unemployment and it asked if you made any money? Yep, Why I put the money on there?
Speaker 1: Why?
Speaker 3: I don't know. I've seen niggas get the death penalty for less, So so I put so, I put the money on there. I put the money on there, and this is what happens. They then readjust my unemployment quarterly.
Speaker 1: Like me, Yeah, I would have told you not to do that.
Speaker 3: So quarterly. So it goes from being I go from getting five hundred dollars a week in unemployment to seventy five dollars a week in unemployment. So I go, Okay, this is the deal. It's not. Obviously they don't think a nigga can live off this. So I'm just gonna go up to the unemployment office. I'm gonna talk to these people. That's why I'm a deal. I'm gona go up to the uneployment for somena talk to these people. I'm straighten this whole thing out. So I go up there to the unemployment office in Pasadena. I'll never forget. The lady was like, baby, ain't nothing we can do. It's in the computer. I was like, uh, I can't live on this blah blah blah in the computer. So I needed a job. I had to have a job. But you know what, the funny thing was, the ge let that commercial ended up like making me that commercial ran Oh shit, I didn't know anything. I didn't know anything about being a commercial actor. So I would get a holding check every now and again. And then I started making money off the commercial. But that's later. I didn't notice. I came home, and when I came home, I was like, I have to find a job. I pulled up entertainment careers dot net. The first job was TMS tour Guide. You were a tour guide, yep, it was being a tour guy. TMS was starting a tour and the tour was like you go around to different places and you show people different things that happened like on TMZ, Like we would show you where Josh Hartnett got diarrhea. We would show you where Michael Richards fucked up at the laugh Factory. It's actually a pretty good tour. I'm actually I was one of the first GUIDs on the tour. I was the first guid on the tour. So actually a little bit of pride in the fact that we were able to jump that off and make it a thing, because it's still going right now. So I get in there and I do that. I apply.
Speaker 1: That's a brilliant concept now that I think about it.
Speaker 3: The revolutionize the whole game. So I apply, and they're doing the tours like American Idol. They have all of these tour guys in there, and then every week they cut a guy. So I'm in there and like they have me coming in there and whatever. I get the whole thing. I start with the TMZ tour. This goes through to about everything I'm talking about. I start with the TMS tour. I think April of twenty ten, maybe it might have been twenty eleven, whatever it is. I started with the TMZ Tour. Then by July, I started in March. By July, I'm on TV every day.
Speaker 1: Within a couple of months, Harvey.
Speaker 3: Came in took the tour. I was up there doing my thing, and I told a joke and he liked the joke so much that he brought me in and put me into the into the newsroom, into the newsroom.
Speaker 1: Yep, okay. So then you get this newsroom opportunity, your pay goes up, benefits. What are we looking at?
Speaker 3: So this is the way it was working. I was making money because I was getting tips on the tour. So I was probably making fifteen hundred dollars a week straight cash off the tips on the tour. I was killing these motherfucking white people. I was killing them. I was. I was fucking killing them. And then you would you would come in and you would have like people from there was tourists like they were from our earlier they were from Canada. There was a thing that we do on the tour to where if you see a celebrity on the tour, you stop the bus, you get off, you shoot the celebrity. And when you're driving around in La at certain times, if you know where to go, it's impossible not to see famous people. Like if you were coming to LA and you and you were hanging out with me, and I was like, hey, you want to sit around and watch celebrities all day? There are three or four places I could tell you where it's going to happen, and so we would see them, and I'm a good spotter. I would spot celebrities and we would see them and the people would go creit. We all kinds of people. Fucking Lady God got Leonardo DiCaprio, David Beckham and just the other niggas that be around, just niggas that be around us. You would just say, you know the people I'm talking about in La, they just they'd be around. You see them all the time, Like, hey, weren't you in Yeah, like you see them. The funniest thing was b T Wars weekend, right because there would be all kinds of celebrities that I would recognize that the bus wouldn't know who they were, and so the bus wouldn't believe me that these people were famous. I'm like, yo, I don't know if you know this mother fort two number ones. I ain't never heard of him before. I don't know he signed to Luducris and them. He's that's like, actually I don't want to say the guy's name, but like that's actually that guy is a huge singer. Like you guys should probably care about him. Wait, don't know, fuck them, keep going No, but I mean so anyway, so you know, I'm making good money because I'm making my tips off the tour. I'm doing three different jobs for TMC. I'm also on the camera with my on the street with my camera. I'm on the street with my camera. I'm doing the tour.
Speaker 1: Oh, you're doing the tour and the newsroom and all this on the tour.
Speaker 3: And the newsroom. They gave me as mean jobs as they could.
Speaker 1: And did you join as they were like a startup or were they startup level?
Speaker 3: So they were. This was two thousand and so they started in like two thousand and five. I got there five years later.
Speaker 1: That's considered still startup.
Speaker 3: Probably, so they were. They were the newsroom cast was established, so I had to break in. I give I always give Harvey credit for this. He uh the same joke, because it's very hard to break into that room because when you're in the room and you're everybody's fighting for airtime, the camera's always on Harvey. But as far as you you got to say something, you got to do something to stand out. So you get you start to maximize the moments that you have, and if you're on that means somebody else isn't. So once it's ten motherfucker's in there, they're not looking for the eleventh motherfucker to come in. But Harvey knew that I had that joke that I could tell on the I want to hear the joke. It kind of doesn't work without us being on the tour, but so we so we passed by the Hustler store on the tour, and so it would stop on the Hustler tour and this was a different time to tell this joke. Okay, So so we would stop and I would have the bus stop right by the Hustle store, and you know, Larry Flynn is right Larry Flint started Hustler, and I'd be like, this guy's hustle store. Larry Flint started Hustler. And I don't know if you guys know this, but Larry Flint is one of the most important men in the history of civil rights. And they're like, what are you talking about? And I was like, well, you guys might not know this, but Larry Flynn is in a wheelchair. He was shot One of the reasons why Larry Flint was shot was because there were people that were upset that he was doing interracial photo spreads in Hustler. It's very true, and the bust will go, oh, I didn't know that, and I will go like, yeah, so Larry Flint, it's very important to a right leader because he took a bullet so that I could fuck white women. That's a really good that's good, right. And so I remember Harvey, Oh my god, and so I go and so they don't want to laugh, they don't want to laugh funny. But I'm in the room and I say that everybody, and it's so far out of left field, and they've never heard the sound of my voice before. I remember shout out to Nina Parker, who worked at TMZ with me, who's still a dear friend of mine to this day. Beautiful black woman. Nina was looking at me like, I know, they didn't just bring one of these niggas into the newsroom where these goddamn Tiger Woods is. But that joke put me over in the newsroom, and so and he knew that it would. And so after that boom, they all left. Another thing I tell the kids I don't want to be hyper verbose about the whole TMZ situation. But another thing I tell the kids is your ability to succeed at a place is not just about your talent, It's about your ability to recognize opportunity.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So the very first year I was there, I realized that everybody goes home for Christmas, so everybody takes off for Christmas. So if you watched the show, it's always a buzzy newsroom. Everybody is around, everybody's doing all of this, but it's bare bones in there, like any point after Thanksgiving to the New Year, because everybody's rotating in and off vacation, but they're still doing the show. They still have to do a show. They don't go dark for two weeks like everybody else is a daily show. I did not go home. I stuck around, And when I stuck around, I got all of the time to talk and be on camera that I wanted to. So in that month, I endeared myself to the audience.
Speaker 1: Nice.
Speaker 3: Right after that, he comes in, he goes, we're gonna give you a raise, We're gonna do all of this next time contract with up and I just my stature at TMZ just went up to the point to where I think maybe a year two years after that, I was a producer.
Speaker 1: So let's take let's let's fast forward to the the iconic moments the Kanye West him. I love Kanye, I love old Kanye.
Speaker 3: Now you like him? Now I can tell yeah.
Speaker 1: You know what, it's so funny. So my favorite rapper is jay Z, and my little brother's favorite rapper is Kanye. But now Eagle acknowledges that jay Z's the ultimate goat. So you know, we have a great, great relationship. But Kanye, let me try this girl, cheese.
Speaker 3: Go for it. Bless you as straight from Angola State Panitentiary right there.
Speaker 1: Let's see. But Kanye, old Kanye was simply amazing to me. I loved how outspoken he was. I don't know what happened in the Kardashian era, like what kind of drugs they put him on or what went wrong because he was always pro from the bush statement like he was always that guy. So take us to that day, what's going on like from beginning to end?
Speaker 3: So Harvey had gone to that that butter gonna burn. So Harvey had gone to you know, the week before then, Kanye had an album going out, and this is after the Trump stuff and he had, you know, gone off at his at his show and all of that stuff. Harvey had gone out to Calabasas and he was so giddy called me up to his office and he goes, look what it is. It's me hanging out with Kanye West. So I'm like whatever, you were like whatever? Yeah, I'm like at this point, I don't give a fuck about that. I hate that type of shit though, I'll tell you what I hate. Don't talk to me about who you was hanging out with ever. Okay, Like, if you go to a party, when you come back and talk to me about the party, talk to me about how the vibes were, where the drinks good, was the music good?
Speaker 1: So if jay Z was in the room, you want to hear about the drinks.
Speaker 3: I don't give off. I don't give off fuck. If jay Z came to your party, I couldn't give a fuck. What do that? So it's a good party, that's the only thing you be here for a whole So it's a good party because he was there. Shout out to him like it's a good party because he was there. I don't give welcome thank you. I don't care at all. Like, hey man, the drinks was good man, DJ was crazy. He played that old school juve andle all of that ship. Now I'm gonna come to the party. If you start to my party, If Jay show up to your party, it's a I guess it's a big deal for your party. I'm not saying that. I'm saying that it doesn't make me want to attend your party because there are famous people.
Speaker 1: There, of course, but I'm saying that. Okay. So Harvey comes to you, He's like, yo, I was kicking it with this is this is.
Speaker 3: All I heard is Kanye, Kanye, Kanye. And so he shows me the thing and him and Kanye have some kind of report that they're working on or whatever. I don't know it's going. And so a week after that he like, I'm in the newsroom. And by the way, at this point, I've been very outspoken on Kanye because this is Kanye posing with Donald Trump, this is post all of that stuff. So it comes up to me after the morning meeting. He goes, hey, I was like what there he goes, we didn't want to tell you. But about ten minutes Kanye was about to show up here. I was like inside of TMZ and he was like yeah. He was like all right, just let you know all the mics are going to be down because the way it works is for TMZ Live, which is the live show. Showa comes in the middle of day. You have a red button at your desk and a thing at your desk. Anytime you have that red button, you can talk. So after Harvey and Charles do their thing, you hit that red button, you can talk. So when I want to jump in and say something funny, I jump in and say something fun. When I want to jump in when it's time for them to come to me, like Van Van Van Talk, you can talk. But they had all the mics down because they just wanted this to be Harvey, Charles and Kanye West. Okay cool. So I go sit at mine shout out to Charlemagne because uh. I go sit down at my desk and I start watching the interview that Charlemagne did with Kanye that dropped that very same day when he was walking around Calabasa. So I started watching that. I'm at the desk. Kanye West comes in, very polite guy. I says hello to everyone and everything like that. They go over to the teams he live to start doing teams he live. As soon as the cameras come on, he turns into a fucking demon, right like when I say you and I'm like it just I come alive in the nighttime type shit. You know what I'm saying. Yeah, he's talking now. I mean, I'm not saying that he.
Speaker 1: Was being demon like the stuff he was saying.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean the demon I'm not demonizing. Kanye West was like that was streaming consciousness the whole thing. I'm like, oh shit, I'm still not paying an attention. I'm not paying any attention. I'm looking at the interview. I'm not a part of this conversation.
Speaker 1: So you're looking at the interview but watching kind of looking.
Speaker 3: Up or Kanya not really, but remember I've been told specifically that I'm not part of this conversation. So it's on them. Kanye says a slavery four hundred. Oh. By the way, Kennice Owens is with him. Oh, she came to the office with him.
Speaker 1: I don't know how you're not looking, not watching the interview and still looking at the shar interview.
Speaker 3: I'm looking at the Charlemagne interview. They're walking around Calabasas, like, you know, they they Kanye got his hair, you know, they're having all of these deep as sauces. I'm looking at but I can. I can hear him though, because he starts to scream. He doesn't just want to talk to Harvey and Charles, he wants to talk to all of us, right, so I can, I can hear him. It was like, God, damn this nigga, damn nigga on one and so like, I'm still looking at it, and he says, slavery four hundred years, four hundred years. That seems like a choice to me, And everybody's like, oh, look when he said that, couldn't see her. I don't know she. I think she was in the other room, because there's a side room. A couple of weeks before that, and maybe like a month before that, Candace had gone viral for shutting down some some students that had come to a turning point us a meeting where she had said you're a victim and I don't like you, and fuck civil rights, whatever and and whatever she said to them, and Kanye was like, this is the type of thinking that I like. And then he put it Kanye put Candisons on like she like she she bah the way this is. If any want to make a judgment, call about Candace Owns. Go to wherever you go to for wherever you want to go to whatever. But he put her on basically, so she was with him for a little while. I think he got a lot of his his his early political when he was first in that new sort of right sphere of thought. I think a lot of he got a lot of that stuff from her. I think he probably still does it this day from a lot of those types of people. Anyhow, So he's talking. He says that I didn't say anything when he said that. There's a there's a misconception that he said that. And I was like, nah, I didn't like. I didn't like like. I didn't say yeah. People think it was like a big deal. I didn't say nothing, right, I didn't say anything at all? His business, he asked, He asked very simply. He said that everyone gasps. One other person had said once, one other thing about something that he had said. But most of the people in the room this sidebar real quick. You guys have no idea. I guess you actually probably do. Because Atlanta has per capital more famous people than anywhere else. You can't go to the fucking mall without goddamn nigga. Wasn't you in atl But like, but just fame just paralyzes people, particularly in LA like fame just like just like, oh my god, it doesn't matter what he would have said up there, He's saying stuff and people are like, Jesus Christ is the most famous person that's ever And ifside this officer for it, but I'm.
Speaker 1: Surprised because at TMG they crossed past it a lot.
Speaker 3: No nobody like that, Like it's like, especially to be in the office doing that. It's one thing to have to see people out on the street and get a but you know there's a specific TMZ celebrity that we talk to all the time. You know, nobody like that.
Speaker 1: So take us back to that moment before you Superman.
Speaker 3: So he says that, and he turns around and he goes, he says the whole thing, and he goes, does it feel like I'm speaking freely? He says that. He turns around, he goes, does it feel like I'm speaking freely? Okay, Now let me tell you a split seconds is how my mind works, Like for me. I just have like my insecurity is that I just can't be the nigga you can fuck over. I don't have to be the number one guy, but like, I'll fight you until you realize you can't funk over me. I'll play you in basketball to our realize I can't be the easy guy to get over on. So if you ask me something like that and I didn't say anything, there's toxicity in me that says, I gotta answer this question, like I can't have allowed him that somebody might think that. It's like everybody was, like you filled up with the answers, is not. I didn't want to feel like a weakling. Yes, I didn't want to miss my opportunity to tell him how I feel like he was acting, because then it feels like I'm the one that he could just kind of get off on. So he says that, and I gonna know, y'all, I don't feel like you're thinking anything, like, actually you don't know you I remember, I'm said, I'm not gonna go back the whole thing. But you look crazy right now, like everything that you're doing, not just now but every other time, like you look crazy. You're not thinking, and particularly this, it's not even about that. It's about what the regression or how can I put this? Not regression, it's what a guy like that represents because we empower him. So imagine like spinning your youth, like arming somebody with this great, big cultural gun. Everything that Kanye did, we were I was down in Louisiana where he said George Bush doesn't care about black people. He was my god. Like all the things that he would say when he would speak out, like you defend them, you advocate for him, you do it. You stand by and you just the little cultural gun that he has, a little megaphone, it just gets bigger and bigger. The gun just gets bigger and bigger and bigger, and then one day you're staring down the barrel of it. Now the things that he's saying that you've empowered him to say are being turned right back at you. And so like it's like, hey, don't shoot me, Like why why are you shooting at me? Like you know what I'm saying. It's like I'm the same dude like you you Kanye West. I love you. Yeah, Like if I'm not about to diss him, never would I say to you know, you're a genius. Everything that you've done is you deserve all the stuff that you've gotten. We love you, but let me tell you how you're making us feel. That's it. That's it. I'm not trying to go toe to toad with like a cultural deity, you know what I'm saying. I'm not trying to act like he hasn't inspired me in the ways that he's inspired me, or act like he hasn't done the things he's done, Like we don't do that where I'm from. We give you your props or else we would be haters. But I just have to let him know, like what you're doing right now is particularly pernicious to us because we're in a very specific place in this country. And when you go back and you watch it, you listen, Now, look, my thing is this any one person like that. There's no person that's like going to be able to be a nigga whisperer and change what somebody thinks. Like there's a day to day experience that people have that has to do with their surroundings, who they are, their input and output that's going to affect how they look at the world. And you're not asking anybody to be to change that. But what I do think is important as black people who is for us to be cognizant of how what we do affects other people. For example, I worked at TMZ for nine years. I'm not in a moral position to chastise anyone, like literally, like not in a figurative way. I'm not in a moral position to chastise anyone. I understand compromises that people have to make in order to get to where they want to get. I understand that sometimes people might walk into situations and not really know what it is that they're getting into. And then on the other side, you know better than you do better, right, So it's not about that. It's about just alerting someone when you feel like they're doing harm and then that's that. And then after that, after I've said my piece, you can choose either you can continue to harm me or you can be different.
Speaker 1: So how did that milestone with Kanye change the trajectory of your life? Because it definitely had a huge impact.
Speaker 3: So it was really the beginning of my career. And the reason why it was was because number One, I was never going to be able to leave TMZ with the reputation that they have there, and this is not shots at TMZ or anything like that. Once you leave a place that has such a distinct perch and culture, it's very difficult for people to believe certain things about you. And I think going over.
Speaker 1: What do you mean, like what kind of culture? Like are you familiar with I am familiar with them. I'm just saying, describe it. Ah, I'm saying from the journalists perspective, you're saying.
Speaker 3: Like, Okay, That's what I'm saying. So, look, there's a reason why like a TMS exists. And honestly, the reason why TMS exists is the need for people to feel good about themselves.
Speaker 1: The reader or the watcher to feel.
Speaker 3: So the celebrity in America is overloved, way overloved, over important, over everything. It just doesn't matter that much that somebody is famous or rich. It just really doesn't matter that much. Honestly, it's probably a net negative. However, it's so it's so precious to people that there's a need to feel that that person has done or is doing something.
Speaker 1: Wrong, like to more humanize them.
Speaker 3: Right, So, like the question becomes this, say, take Kim Kardashian, right, everybody saw her fuck right, everybody saw her. Fuck, it's just sex tape out. Everybody saw it, right, everybody watched the sex tape that comes out. And people get to make the decision about whether or not they would have that happen for them, whether or not they would go through that in order to be Kim Kardashian, And it makes them feel good to say no. So it makes them feel good to say, you know what, I wouldn't want that life. It's too crazy. It makes them good to feel to say. It makes him feel good to say, I wouldn't compromise myself in that way. It makes him feel good to say, I would never do this, I would never be around these people. I would never do that. I would never do this. It makes him feel good to say, Hollywood's too weird, I wouldn't do that. Right, And TMZ feels that bloodlust that people have, and it lets them disconnect from the idea that these people are better than them. It lets them disconnect because every time somebody gets a dui and it goes up to the thing. Every time somebody gets a divorce, everybody in here knows people have been divorced. Yeah, there's no magic or sinister story to a divorce. Sometimes it don't work out. It just doesn't work out. But you want to believe certain people will never be happy because their lifestyles are antithetical to happiness in a relationship. So you want to you want to believe, like like you like you, you you, you want to believe that, right, you want to believe that teams gives you that. In order to do that, TMZ has to treat those people like they're not people. They have to treat them as if their concepts celebrity is not a person.
Speaker 1: That's why I guess comes off a little bit invasive and ruthless.
Speaker 3: Right, Well, no, because they're.
Speaker 1: They're not treating they're they're treating them kind of like, well.
Speaker 3: You have to write like even even the TMS tour was a celebrity safari, Like what's on a safari?
Speaker 1: Yeah, animals animals, right and.
Speaker 3: So and so like when when you like the tours celebrity as animals, right and so you do that, right and what you what you say is okay, Well, in order to be a celebrity, the game is pr at its base, right, So this is what you sign up for kind of right, because like there are certain things that you don't sign up for I'll never talk. I'll never I'll never forget this. There was the sister of a celebrity that had that had had something taught done to them. I'll never forget. I'm not gonna talk about who I had the conversation with. I'm like, Yo, we shouldn't do that. And they did the story and this dude went on fucking and let us fucking happen, and I was like, yo, we had to take it down and apologize and do all that stuff. Like yo, like there's a limit to this. And that's not me making a moral judgment on the team team. I'm just telling you the way things go. So like when you know all of that, when you have an idea of what drives that, like obviously they're moral. Uh, there're things that you have to not care about to work there. But most of the people there are good people. They're just desensitized to whatever was going on there because that's where they work, like like that, like that's what they do. I'm there. It's the same thing. Things are coming in at a certain point you go goddamn, you know, and it's there will be little small things. This is a football player that had this video come out of some altercation it was in and it said savage beating by this, and I was just looking at the hellline. I'm like, that's I don't think we should go savage beating there, Like I think savage is like a that's like an interesting way or there's just little small things. The mayor of DC died, Marion Barry crack maryor Marion Barry dies like he died, and like, by the way, the people in DC are going to freak the funk out because I don't know if you guys know, but Marion Barry was with Martin Luther King Junior. Like where I'm from, like I deal with a group of people, a community, people that are always categorized by the worst moment that they have. And I don't feel comfortable with categorizing a man that means so much to his city by the worst, most scandalous thing you ever had. You can't talk about his life without talking about that, but maybe in the headline you don't do that. So so so, so all of those things start to start to happen, and so for me, what the place represents, it's not even so much a bunch of uh not even so much a bunch of moral people that are running around trying to get the dirn on celebrities. It represents our relationship to celebrity and our relationship to ourselves, because there's no fucking reason whatsoever why we should spend so much time talking about what happens in the lives of famous people.
Speaker 1: For more eating while broke from iHeartRadio and the Black Effect, visit of the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.