Speaker 1: I miss a green, for example, I'm already upset. When I find my ball in the bunker, I'm really upset. And when I find my ball.
Speaker 2: In a fried egg Friday egg, the dreaded Frida Egg Friday Frida Egg Egg, Frida Egg Bride Egg.
Speaker 1: Lie, I'm about ready to run off of the hump course.
Speaker 3: Welcome back to another edition of the Friday Golf Podcast. I'm your host, Andy Johnson, and uh I am joined today by Joseph Lamania. Joseph, you're you're actually kind of the host of this podcast today.
Speaker 2: No, this is all you. I just got to interview Dodo, which I hope people like.
Speaker 3: So yeah, this is a uh this is Joseph took the reins on the interview front interview Dodo Molinari. Molinari obviously a long time European tour player but now kind of one of the people on the forefront of golf analytics. Joseph, you are on the forefront of golf analytics too, So this is going to get deep in the weeds on golf analytics and many other topics. But big thanks to Dodo for coming on and chatting with you. Let's do in out and we'll do recommendations at the end of this podcast. Joseph, what are you in on?
Speaker 2: My in and my out are kind of related, but what I'm in on is Braden Thornberry and seeing him get it done in the corn Ferry Tour finals yesterday. He's had a rocky year, and he's also just had generally a pretty up and down start to his professional career after an unbelievable amateur career. He was a Haskins winner, won the NC Douaa, was a walker cupper on the same team as Morikawa and Scheffler and Will's al Taurus. He struggled to find his footing and came into yesterday with a very outside chance of getting his PGA Tour card, and he got it done. It was cool to see him get choked up and talk about basically, things haven't gone his way the last couple of years, and it's nice to finally have something go his way. Seems like a cool down to earth dude who now has his PGA Tour status locked up for next year. Was extremely satisfying watching him win.
Speaker 3: This is a guy that if you had changed the way that the golf, the PGA Tour used PGA Tour. You like, he's a couple of years may a year or two before the start of PGA Tour. You but if you went back and redid that, he would have had like a PGA Tour card. He was sensational his senior year. He was the best player in college golf and it wasn't even close. So this is a guy that it just shows how hard it can be to make the tour. It can be a matter of you have a bad week at the wrong time, you fall under rut, you play your best golf at inopportune times, like we saw that with Hideki Matsiama. This is what I always think about this, Like when you rattle off what four of six wins in twenty sixteen, I believe the winter it was like, oh, like, this guy is the best player in the world, but he's playing at his best golf of his career at the wrong time. You know, it's like, just there's no nothing consequential brain Thornberry. I mean, he's played everywhere. I think he was playing on like the All Pro Tour at one point. This is not something you usually see of a Haskins Award winner of a the best player in college golf, especially in this era. I think long term these types of things can be a blessing in disguise. It could give them a little bit more juice, a little more I guess motivation, because you can. I'm sure he had some moments where he felt the bottom where he's watching guys that he used to compete, probably beat a lot, have huge success on television on the PGA Tour. Congress to Brain Thornberry, great, great moment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he's twenty seven, Andy, so it's not like he can get polished, and this could be the next five years could be a really good period of golfer. Brain Thornberry so excited for him. What are you in on?
Speaker 3: I'm in on golf courses mattering. I think we talk about this a decent amount on this podcast. But I found it to be just like a fascinating juxtaposition between the end of the Dunhill and the end of the Sanderson. I want to be clear, both of them were really good finishes, but one had just an extra dimension then the other. The weather was gnarly in Scotland. The weather was gnarley and players were playing down one of the most historic back nines in all of golf. They were battling and it was very much of a kind of just hang on for dear life situation because the wind and everything that went into it. We saw Bob McIntyre just go off about the seventeenth hole at St. Andrews, a player that was in the mix, saying it should be blown up redone. There's this preposterous that I had to hit a four iron into the green. This is what we want, this is what we want from pro golf. We want the golf course to be holding up. And I think, like you know, the Old course was a great example the day before in pretty benign conditions. Players were just going nuts and beating it up and then the wind comes out and the rain comes and it's as much as they can handle. But like them hitting a foe iron. This is this is a quarterback in the NFL going against a great defense. The golf course matters. It adds an additional layer. The finish to the Sanderson was great, but it was more of here are a couple players that don't usually win trying to get it done. There was no added element of the golf course is presenting a really tough test and standing in the way of them getting it done. And I think that's the thing that you had with Terrell Hatton cole Starts going back and forth down the stretch. It was, you know, Hatton opened up a lead, but then you know, you turned and went back into the wind. On the back nine, it was really hard and cole Starts was hitting great golf shots and then it comes down to eighteen. Hatton gets up and down for the birdie. Cole Starts doesn't. He wins. It was just a It was a sensational finish to the Dunhill, and the golf course amplified it. So this is not necessarily a shot at Country Colby Jackson, which is maybe one of the most bland golf courses I've ever seen on TV, but not a shit there. They shouldn't be hosting PGA Tour events at courses like this, and I understand there might not be a better host in Jackson, Mississippi, But if you're going to take in a couple billion dollars from house side investors, this is something to look at.
Speaker 1: There.
Speaker 3: There is a another added layer of interest when these players play at really great golf courses. So when you have three billion dollars in the bank or whatever they're going to have if this PIF deal comes in. I think something they should really genuinely kick the can down the curb on is how do we play?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 3: Or you know, I think this isn't a something that'd be worthwhile to look at create worthwhile venues, And if they're going to do that, I don't think the TPC network can be involved. So that I loved, loved the finish of the Dunhill links.
Speaker 2: The only as well said, the only thing I'll add is Country Club of Jackson's a pretty good example of a golf course that has narrow fairways and doesn't test accuracy at all. Kind of to your point, right, like Bo Hostler and Kevin, you are some players with firepower who do not hit the ball particularly straight, and this is one of those that I think if you're into numbers and stuff, it comes up frequently, right like you can kind of hit it anywhere out there. So good one for people to look at that. We kind of talked about this in the pod of ODO a little bit, But that's a good template of a golf course that maybe looks on paper like a test accuracy, but doesn't at all, and kind of goes to your point that that's just not a great PGA Tour test.
Speaker 3: Andy, Yeah, I mean all this stuff matters. It goes down to to like the corn Ferry Tour, where courses are not really indicative of skill. It's it's mostly just driver wedge fest there. It's not you know, they don't play a lot of golf courses where you got to hit a high towering seven iron and this used to be a four iron, by the way, but a high towering cuts seven iron into a tuckpin. Like, it's mostly just bash the driver up there and hit your sixty degree And all this stuff matters and how it relates to competition at the highest level and when everything gets ratcheted up. So what are you out on?
Speaker 2: I'm coming after a shotgun start some of you guys. Are you guys enjoy? So I apologize in a Champion I'm coming after the Champions Tour.
Speaker 3: God, you're doing it well. Pj's in producer mode. He can't even come on and defend it.
Speaker 2: The Champions Tour has gotta go watching corn Fairy Tour guys who are trying to make their living, and you have the International Series on the Asian Tour Challenge Tour, like these young golfers are having trouble making a living and watching rock O mediate cash a three hundred and fifteen thousand dollars check from Furick and Friends yesterday. It just cannot be an efficient use of the PGA Tours resources. Not even to mention, I think the golf world has a little bit of a star building issue that some of these young guys come out on tour and people don't know who they are. There's probably an opportunity to divert some of those Champions Tour resources into building the corn Ferry Tour and building college golf, Like college golf isn't even really on people's radar, and I think that's something that could be an engaging avenue for the golf world to go down, is to put some money into that and maybe not into this. I don't know. It basically feels like televising adult rec league softball at this point. For me, I can't believe that the purses are as big as they are for a Champions Tour events. That whole operation needs to go away.
Speaker 3: I I agree with uh with what you're saying. Sorry, PJ. I've got I've been watching more champions to a golf lately just because of our stupid bit on the shotgun start. But I would I would totally agree with the idea of the star building. I think this is something that the PGA Tour really really has to think about. The sport's getting young and athletic, uh in, younger and younger every year. One of the tough things about that is, like the awareness of young golfers is extraordinarily low. So if that's the case, if if you're having trouble with with awareness of like who is Kevin You, for example, a great young player who was a great player at Arizona State and has basically breezed up to the highest level of go He took his PGA Tour you an exemption on the Corn Faery Tour, turned it into a PGA Tour card and one year and then has won on the PGA Tour in his first year on the PGA Tour. Ninety nine percent of golf fans have no clue who Kevin You is, and that would be he would have been a absolute superstar in college golf. He was a superstar in college golf. The problem is two thousand people in the world might care about college golf. So that is the real issue, and the tour has to address that. The Champions Tour is effectively a roughly sixty five million dollar subsidy. They just subsidize the tour. If you took sixty five million dollars and put it into the corn Faery, you'd have every single event would be televised and broadcast alive. You'd have enough money to pour down into televising maybe a handful of elite amateur events and more college events, which to your point, are you're building your stars. You are just building the awareness up so that when Kevin You wins at age, what is he twenty five?
Speaker 2: Who is twenty six?
Speaker 3: Who is not? Who is Kevin You? It is? You know what, We've watched this kid, uh from when he was one of the best players in college golf to when he was one of the best players in cornery on the corn Ferry Tour. We have The other aspect of this is we have a a trove of assets, like footage of them playing at all these stages, and we can show you how good of a player like this is. It is not just a you know, we're putting this on. It is gathering the requisite assets and having your people, you know, be ingrained. Like they have this huge organization, but you know, outside of Sean Martin and maybe a handful of others, nobody pays attention to what's going on in college golf because it's not their job. This would make it part of their job and they would just get better at covering the young players in the sport. There'd be more context, There'll just be more understanding.
Speaker 2: And the whole point of competitive sports, right is you want to be watching the best or people who are on track to be the best. Like I can't think of another league that people watch where everyone is clearly past their primes and is not going to be competing again. So it just feels like an obvious waste of money that the PGA Tour should be looking into. All right, what are you out on, Andy.
Speaker 3: I'm out on the I guess the treatment this is similar to the treatment of the Corn Fairy Tour. The Corn Fairy Tour Championship is that was played this week. Can is one of the best days in golf, the best weekends in golf. I think when pro golf really thrives when it's at its best besides the mat besides the majors, if you take out the major championships, the most compelling aspect of pro golf is relegation and promotion, and it goes to vying for Ryder Cup spots. I would consider that kind of relegation and pro in promotion. That's more of a promotion like, hey, you've been put on this pedestal down to relegation promotion from the PGA Tour, corn Ferry Tour, and you could even go down to the America's Tour. We don't ever, we're not gonna, We're not anywhere close to seeing that. But that's another fascinating aspect. So the Corn Ferry Tour, thirty cards are handed out.
Speaker 1: It is.
Speaker 3: I would say probably a top for you know, listen, like passerbys aren't watching golf outside of the top five or six events outside of like the Ryder Cup, the Majors, maybe maybe the Players President's Cup. So once you get to like event, I don't know, thirteen twelve thirteen, this is probably in like the top fifteen golf events on the men's golf events on the calendar. This is a top fifteen event. Please please find a better find a better slot for it. You just cannot run it up. You know, at noon on a Sunday against the NFL, you cannot the television broadcast calendar like this is finishing. The most compelling event comes at the end of the afternoon of the first slate of football games, the most football games. Give this a chance. I thought the venue was really great. French Lick, the Pete Die Course is a really interesting golf course. It's a big boy golf course. It's a it's a golf course that you would type of shots you would see high level tour events, high level tour course. It just needs to you know, this course, this this tournament should be covered. It should have its own week. It shouldn't go opposite Sanderson. It should have its own week and really be put up front for the PGA Tour because it is one of their best events. So I just like, I think that the tour really needs to like look at their assets, look at what events they have, and construct a calendar based off of like, Hey, I know this isn't a PGA Tour event, but this is one of the best things we have going and if we prioritize it it's another potential, you know, one hundred million dollar plus franchise if we if we can do this right. And this goes back to like kind of what you talked about, but like this would make the corn Faery the more compelling. The final event is the more compelling every other Corn Faery Tour event is.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think one of the sneaky best golf days of the year, Andy is US Open Final qualifying, which has a similar vibe where it's the golfers are getting a life changing result that day, right and battling down to the wire. That usually wraps up on on Monday night. I think there's probably an opportunity for the corn Faery Tour to maybe explore not finishing their events on Sundays. I'd be I would think that if the corn Ferry Tours wrapped up like on a Monday evening, there'd be a lot more interest or a Tuesday evening. So I think that could be something to explore. But I agree with you it should be highlighted way more than it is. It's a pretty special closing stretch to just nobody was watching it.
Speaker 3: I really like the course, But that being said, I think like this we talked about this a lot. I think the PGA Tours actually exploring the potential of getting some West Coast playoff events like we've talked about for years. But the the idea of being able to get this on the West Coast and maybe finishing on you do Saturday through Tuesday in primetime. You know, you know that nobody's there's no football on Tuesday night this time of year, and you go, you know, it's like that would be great. You get the primetime slot on a Tuesday. I mean, I know that the I know golfers didn't really like TPC Stonebree. I was thinking that would be a solution, but I know a lot of the lot of the Corn Ferry Tour players didn't love it. But find find a good venue and have it there. I mean, I know chamber Spay is like actively looking for things to host.
Speaker 2: That'd be so sick. Cornfair Tour finals at Chambers Day would be sweet.
Speaker 3: I mean, they're talking to Live. I think they would love to have the corn Ferry Tour finals if they're talking to Live. All right, let's get to Dodo Molinari first. Let's talk about true golf.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 3: You may not have heard of True Golf before. They have a product called launch Box by True Golf, and this is an all new portable launch monitor and golf simulator from True Golf. It's super easy to use. It seamlessly connects to your PC or iOS device makes it easy to play golf courses and improve your game year round. Launch Box Buy True Golf offers a simple setup, instance, shot registration, accurate measured data, easy and easy Wi Fi connection, and is optimized for indoor use and could be used on range mats out doors, so you can turn your swings at the range into detailed feedback, giving you meaningful insight into your game, helping you optimize practice and focus on improvement. I need to do some of this this winter. You can also work on your golf course strategy with LaunchBox. The setup lets you explore some of the best courses in the world that have been meticulously recreated with E six connect. Each virtual recreationist map scanned and digitized to be accurate within millimeters of its real world counterpart. Launch Box by True Golf is engineered for accuracy and designed for ease. Learn more at True golf dot com. That's tru goolf dot com slash egg. All right, let's get to Dodo Molnarm.
Speaker 2: Okay, we are joined by Eduardo Molinari, a man of many tight, active member of the DP World Tour, currently playing a full schedule, chief data strategist and vice captain for Ryder Cup Team Europe. And you founded a stats business. Now I believe you are partnered with our Coast Golf, which we'll try to get to a little bit of all of that. Thanks for joining amidst a busy DP World Tour schedule. How you doing, Eduardo, Yeah, I'm doing great.
Speaker 1: Thank you for having me. It's always fun to speak about these things and I'm looking forward to this.
Speaker 2: So the golden source of golf information. I was reading on Wikipedia that you are considered one of the most emotional players on the European Tour and one of the most attractive players on the on the DP World Tour. I have to ask, are you editing your own Wikipedia page?
Speaker 1: I am not. There's a lot of lies in Wikipedia, fake news.
Speaker 2: So I want to get into some of the data and some of the Ryder Cup stuff a little bit towards the end, But first I wanted to start with your background. How did you get started playing golf, and you grew up in Turin, Italy. What did the youth golf landscape look like there and what was your introduction to the game.
Speaker 1: Well, basically, my parents used to play golf. They were members at the local golf club, one of the best in town, which was more like a which is more like a counter club. So when Francesco and I were about seven eight years old, we started to go to the golf course with them. We would play some golf with other kids. We spend some time in swimming pool, we would play some soccer, just you know, basically spend the weekend outdoor rather than in front of a PlayStation. And that's how we started. I mean mom and dad were both at the time like single digit handicaps, so we just you know went with them. And but for them, like it was always school came first and then if you could play good golf grade but if not, you know, it had to be successful in school.
Speaker 2: When did you know that professional golf was a realistic outcome for you versus I'm sure you're always focusing on your studies, but when did that attention turn to professional golf?
Speaker 1: Quite late, I would say probably my second or third year in university. I went to college in Torino and I studied engineering, and when I started, I had no intention at all of turning pro. I was a good amateur, but there was nothing, nothing extremely good. The thing is I was only playing a couple of times a week at the time, and then when I started college, I started to play three or four times a week, and then I started to get better pretty quickly. So towards the end of my it was between the middle and the end of my college career, I said, well, I want to finish this first and then I want to give it a try at golf. But it wasn't something that you know, I wasn't like one of those is that when they're like sixteen or seventeen every I think, so, this is going to be unbelievable. So then my very last year in college, I was playing good golf. I qualified for the Open Championship and then I made the cut as an anders and then straight after that it was a US Amater qualifier. At the time, there was no World Amateur rankings or anything, so I just flew across, won the qualifier, back on for a couple of weeks, back to Marion, to play the USUM and then won the USUM, which obviously opened the one thousand doors and a lot of opportunities, and it was the best thing that could happen to my golfing career. So then I had to wait another nine month because obviously you don't want to turn down the opportunity to play in the Masters, in the US Open, in the Open Championship again, and then I turned for the following year after the Open Championship.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think you might be being humble here with with your response and downplaying your career. We're going to talk a lot about data and analytics, but I didn't want to overlook the success of your amateur and professional career. Had the two thousand and five US Amateur at Marion noted you were the first golfer from Continental Europe to win that event, and like you mentioned, that got you into the two thousand and six Masters, where you were paired in the first two rounds with Tiger Woods and Robert Allenby. And I believe your brother Francesco, who you'd mentioned, obviously a great professional golfer and major championship winner, was on the bag for you that week. Pretty incredible set of circumstances for your first Masters. Wanted to ask what you remember about that week.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was an incredible week. The thing is when you win the US I didn't know this until I won the US Samatur, but when you win the US Amatur, you play the following year the Masters with the defending champion, and Tiger happened to win in two thousand and five. So basically I was waiting for this tea time with Tiger the Masters for like six seven months, and I just remember obviously, you know, I remember taking a lot of notes from the week. A friend of mine st you should write them down, and I think it was a great idea because I still had this like small diary with some thoughts and things that happened that, you know, almost twenty years down the line, you're starting to forget. The feeling was very weird, to be honest, I remember not even being nervous on the first tee. It was like something between a dream a movie set. It was just very very weird. Like a lot of people around the tee obviously on the first all playing with Tiger, and he introduces himself like every other golfer high you know, Tiger was nice to meet you. And you know, it was weird. Francesco was cadding and I remember, you know, anytime Tiger went into a greenside banker, he was the first one to be right next to him, trying to clean his ball and trying to It was just, you know, an experience for both of us which made me realize a that obvious even if I won USUM, I was still far far away from you know, being able to compete in a major championship. But also you just you know, you just see other people play, You see those kinds of courses that you know, as an amateur you don't even dream about playing in the Masters, and it was it was an unbelievable experience.
Speaker 2: You know, people talk a lot about the pressure of making your master's debut. Obviously the fashion in which you made your debut was heightened playing with Tiger Woods. Do you think it's possible for a golfer to play well in a circumstance like that or are you so out of your own body that it's not even a realistic expectation for you to put on a good performance that week.
Speaker 1: I think it is possible, but I think that's going well above and beyond your expectations again as an amateur, especially if you think about twenty years ago. You know, the biggest tournament I played was the Tidian Open, which is like a you know, middle tier event on the on the DP war Tour. So all of a sudden, you're playing agasta on greens. The you know, probably the quickest green that I've seen was ten and a half at the time, and all of a sudden, it's like twelve and a half to thirteen. So, I mean, everything is so difficult to I tried to play quite a few practice rounds in the in the weeks before, in the days before, but the problem with the Gasa is that the course tend to change a lot from even from Wednesday to Thursday. I remember on Wednesday playing with Sergio Alazabal and maybe Caderrera at the time, and I felt, oh, you know, the golf course is not too difficult. The greens are still receptive enough. And then you show up on the parting on Thursday morning and all of a sudden, the greens became brown and it's like, well, you know, twelve hours ago it was fine, and now it's just completely out of control. So it was you know, it's always an experience, and it's something that you know, some people might tell you tomorrow is going to be firmer, faster, but until you see how much of a difference they can make in twenty four hours, it's really difficult to believe. And I think that's part of the reason why anyone playing the first Masters has a massive disadvantage, because it's difficult to imagine how the golf is going to play until you actually see it with your own eyes.
Speaker 2: Generally speaking, Eduardo, and we'll get into some data related concepts and strategy here in a bit, But when a golf course changes that much, how much do you think that should change the way that a golfer attacks that golf course, right, whether it's being aggressive on approach, shots, off the tea strategy, or in your opinion, like, yes, the golf course is playing quite differently, but you're still adhering a lot of those same principles.
Speaker 1: I would say, you apply the same principles, but everything is just more extreme. So obviously, a short sighted miss that you know on the Wednesday of the Tuesday wasn't too bad all of a sudden on Thursday is basically a full shot gone so I would say in Jenna, and you have to play a little bit more conservative. When it becomes so firm and fast, you get exposed, like bad shots get exposed a lot more. You just have to be in full control of your of your game. And I think it's you know, it's a great way to separate the you know, the best players in the field to someone that is playing other golf. I would say it's much more difficult to separate players on a soft golf course or a slow golf course, for sure.
Speaker 2: All right, let's shift gears a little bit towards some of those data related concepts, something that you've established a strong reputation for, not just with your own statistics business, but your involvement in the Ryder Cup, which we'll get to at the end. You have a technical background with a PhD in engineering. Can you give us some background on how you became interested in golf data and when that passion turned into a formal business.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So, as I said, I was engineering in college, so I was always into numbers, starts, and you know, all those things. Towards the end of my engineering career, I thought that it would be a good idea to start tracking starts about my own game. So I started developing a very simple Excel spreadsheet at the time where I could record fairways gaining his number of parts. It was extremely simple in the beginning, and then like everything I do, I try to make it a little bit better, you know, each week, each month, and it became quite quite a big thing in you know, after a few years. Then I met Mark Brady at the beginning of twenty eleven, and that's when he starts gaining patting came out on the PG tour for the first time. So I just read the article, I you know, looked for the for the you know, the guy behind it. I sent him an email. We met a few weeks later in Florida and since then we've been good friends. We spend a lot of time together. We tried to shot, you know, as much as we can. So fast forward twenty nineteen. So I started collecting my own data in two thousand and three. So then about sixteen seventeen years later, there were a few guys in Europe that we're looking for some sort of system to collect their starts. There was one company at the time working in Europe, which you might know. And then the thing with me is everything I had done until then was written in Excel. It was all in Italian. It was very clumsy to enter the data, so it was difficult for anyone else to use it. And then COVID happened. So during COVID, I basically had three four months at home, no tournaments, nothing to do where you know, in the beginning, I said, well, I'm going to beat this ago and I'm going to start building something that more players can use, and you know, we can do reports and we can make it easier to analyze and to read and to use. And then during COVID, I remember speaking to Phil Kenyon and Phil obviously is a great patting coach and he has a bunch of top players, and I said to Phil, I said, look, i'm building this a If you have any ideas, any feedback that you would like to add, I'm very happy to because I'm, you know, literally building it from scratch. And then, b if you think about any of your players that might be interested, then I like to talk to them. And a few days later he put me in touch with Met Fitzpatrick. And when I showed what I was doing to Matt, he was immediately blown away. And he said, well, he wasn't even finished at the time, but he said, you know this is going to be so good, and I trust you so much that I don't care how much this caused, how much you charged me, I'm just going to I just want to use it perfect. So then he was my first client when players started after COVID, and I thought, you know, once I get to do ten players in a couple of years, that's it, you know, that's I won't be managing more than ten players, and as simple as that. And then Matt started to play really well. He had a few interviews where he talked about me, and then within I want to say, eight or nine weeks, I was up at ten players and there were more and more coming in. So then I had to hire one person, then a second person to help me with some day to day stuff so I could still Basically what I'm doing now is I have three people helping with the basic stuff, and I like to spend my time still, you know, thinking about new ideas or new stuff you can do with the data. So I split my time between still developing some things and helping players with the analytics. And as you said, it's become quite a big business because he started as a hobby. Then I said it was my retirement plan, and now it's pretty much my major job.
Speaker 2: So this is a huge and broad question that might be difficult to answer. But if you had to distill the insights from looking at that data into one or two key insights from this period of data advancement and the evolution of course management, what would you say that those insights might be. And based on your answer, I might have a couple follow up questions there, but not to lead the witness here right, like disaster avoidance and aiming away from hazards. Like how would you describe those key insights that players have internalized to shoot better scores?
Speaker 1: There's a lot, I would say the most common one, especially for tour players, is being way too conservative of the team, Like a lot of guys like to lay up with a three or two ile on some holes, and it just when you actually look at the numbers and you show them the numbers, it just doesn't make any sense. And I think as probably that that's the most common mistake. The other common one that I found in many many cases is the opposite one is being overly aggressive with approach shots like taking on some pins that doesn't make any sense to take on. I would say for the elite players, that's the two most common ones. And then there's a very strange one, which is it's not really a mistake, but it's like, as a player, you have no idea about your missus, about what you're good at, what you're not so good at. You might have a rough idea, but once you know, if I start asking you, are you better on left to right pass or right to left paths, I can bet pretty much all the money I have that most players don't really have a clue. And sometimes I was the same myself before collecting all this data. I was just, you know, sometimes I was looking at it and I remember one time going to for a patting lesson to fil Kenyon and he says to me, what's your you know, what's your common mistake in patting? And I said, well, Phil, I'm missing everything to the right, Like any bad path is always to the right, and whether it's a left to right or right to left, it's always to the right. And it was like very early days in my you know stats thing, so I didn't really have good starts about my putting so I started to back trace, and I had a look at the last six months prior to that lesson if I was missing more to the left or more to the right, and on any break from any distance, it doesn't matter the type of grass, the speed of degreen is anything. I was missing two times more often to the left than to the right, and I was convinced as a player that it was the opposite, probably because I missed a couple of short pass to the right or a path that you know to make the cut or to win a tournament to the right, and then in your mind you just create these stories that it's very difficult to eradicate from a player's mind. But when you actually look at the data, it's like, hang on a minute, I missed two pass to the right, but you know in the three rounds prior to that, I miss eight pass to the left, So I'm actually missing more left and right. And I think that's something that again without collecting data, it might be on your putting, it might be a long game, it might be whatever. There might be a player that is convinced that is three would is fantastic. And then you look at the numbers and the dispersion is actually worse than the driver. It's just very difficult as a player to have, you know, a neutral eye and an opinion on your game.
Speaker 2: I want to get into a hot button topic here, especially for our audience which is very architecturally interested. And do you have a guess. Do you have a guess where I'm going with this angle? It's data related. There we go, there we go? Angles? Right, So before we even I will just open the floor to you when you hear the discussion around angles. I think there's kind of two different topics here. One is too ang matter at all? And one is are they worth pursuing? Right? Can you just offer your perspective maybe on both of those. Yeah, I think that's pretty related topics.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think the two are very linked. I would say on ninety nine percent of courses and golf holes, angles don't matter at all, simply because there's various ways to look at it. But if you look at scoring average on certain holes of shot link you've got millions of shots, and then look at the scoring average from the middle of the fair way, the right side, the left side, into right pins, left pins, middle pins, basically doesn't change. There's no because I think the thing is what you gain a little bit being on the right angle of the whole, on the right side of the hole, as most people think, or when you when you see on TV look you hear about angles a lot. I feel like what you gain being on the good side of the of the hole, you lose it because all of a sudden the hazard becomes more on the side. And again, as golf professional, is much easier to go over water than to go on a hole with water on the side of the green. So obviously we're talking small, small margins. But what you gain on one side, you lose it on the other. So it's at the end of the day, angles don't matter one bit now. The only I would say, the only time where they do matter a bit is that if you're in the rafugh sometimes you're in the left raff and you have a slightly better way into the green or angle, if you want to say, then the right side. But again, it doesn't make any sense to chase an angle because you think, oh, I'm going to have an easier second shot, because at the end of the day, being on the fairway, even if if it's on the wrong side of the fairway. It's always better than being on the you know, in the raf on on the right side of the hole. Now there's a few Yeah.
Speaker 2: Go ahead. I was just gonna say I had looked at I don't know, it might have been fifty to one hundred thousand shots and basically found that if you have a lot of green to work with with a long iron from the fair way, it was worth about a tenth of a shot of an advantage versus if you didn't have a lot of green to work with, which is one way of thinking about the angle question there, right, And so if you think about the typical penalty associated but the rough, it's much higher than a tenth of a shot generally, So the more you try to gain that tenth of a shot of an advantage, you bring in more risk of finding the rough. Therefore it's not worth it. Is that a reasonable way to summarize some of those findings.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely, I think, as you said, the penalty for being in the rough on pretty much every golf holl in the war is higher than the penalty or the advantage you gain by having a slightly better angle. And again, as you said, like slightly better angles only matter in a small percentage of golfl like it needs to be a long haul, you need to have green to work with, It needs to be probably a firm green as well, it needs to be a very wide farewell. Like the only course I can think of where the angle matter a little bit is the Old Course of Sanders. But there you have like ninety yards white fairway in some cases. So obviously from being fifty yards right of center or forty yards left of center, the second shot changes dramatically up to the point where from the left side you might have to go over a banker to a firm green to a short pin, so it's unstoppable, while from the right side the bunker is not even in play. But again, how many courses there are in the world like the Old course, Probably you know less than five. So I think at the end of the day, you know, as we said, in most most cases, they don't really they don't really matter.
Speaker 2: So I think that is a very unsatisfying answer for a lot of people who have a passion for golf course architecture, and so part of what you're hitting on is it is part of the function of the golf course as they play right and if every golf course looked like Saint Andrews, and we would probably talk about angles a little bit differently. My question to you would be, if you were tasked with building a golf course to test the modern professional golfer that maximized strategy, it also was a demanding test. It maximized shot value. What would that golf course look like. What are some of those architectural features that you found to be a strong test for professionals that are engaging mentally? Right, It's not just this rip it down the center of the fairway with the stock fade.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would say, first of all, give you options of the tea, So make you think a lot of the tea. I think a lot of courses we play these days just you stand on the tee, you diver it down the middle, you go there, you find where it is, and you keep going. And I think to test the golfers of the tea, you have to have increasing penalties as you move further away from the fairway. So if I missed the fairwey by five yards, I should be penalized a little bit. If I miss the ferry by thirty yards, I should be penalized a lot more and if I miss it by sixty yards. I'm not saying it should be automatic, ob but it should be like something similar. And I think of, you know, of all the courses on the PGA Tour Agasta National, I think it's it's a great golf as of the Tea because it's kind of designed in that way. Like if you you know, if you hit a good t show, if you're a good driver the golf but Agasta National and you have a great chance to win. If you don't drive the golf ward, well, you don't stand the chance. It's as simple as that. I think what I don't like about Augusta I think sometimes the second shots are built in a way where there's too much of a fine line between a great shot and a and a poor result, Like if you think about especially whole SAYHULD thirteen, I think that's a bit extreme sometimes where you're hitting like a long iron of a side slope into a green and then you know, the difference between pitching it on the green or two yards short is like between a three and a six. I think that sometimes it's fifteen as well. I think sometimes that's a little bit too much. But I think of the Tea Agasta nationally is as good as a test of a modern golfer as they can. Like, I hate when you see a golf course where everyone is just bombing driver and there's not much consequence whether you're on the fairway, whether you're in the rough. Yes, you lose a little bit if you're in the rough, but not so much. And I think the way Augusta is built is you know, you need to be in position of the tea in order to have a chance to hit the second shot close. And the more you move away from the middle of the fairway, the more trouble you're going to encounter. And I think that's okay.
Speaker 2: Two things there, Yeah, two things there. One, A lot of people would say that at Augusta you can spray the ball off of the tea. It's wide fair ways, you don't need to be accurate. Eduardo, what is your response to that? And I agree with you. You're you're already nod in your head.
Speaker 1: No, No, I mean yeah, I played a gasta a few times and the very first feeling I got the first time I played was wow, this is this is difficult of the t Everyone was saying, oh, you can spray it everywhere. It's not. There are some T shirts that are quite generous, I give you that, but most of them, I mean, the first T shirt is very difficult. Is as difficult as a T shirts as they come in opening T shirts in major championship. I think because again it's like the difference between a good T shirt and a bad T shirt is it could be a lot. If you hit a good T shirt on the first it's you're looking at, it's almost a birdihole like it. It becomes it plays under part. As soon as you miss that fairway, you'll do you'll do very well to make it four. And if you miss it by twenty yards each side, then do very well to make a five. And I think that's, you know, that's the typical characteristic of a good golf old. I think so. I don't think it's you know, some of the lending areas, yes, are wide, but also the penalties around those landing areas are quite heavy, and so if you spread around the gasta, maybe again I think that people are a bit I think biased by When Tiger first came out, the golf course was much shorter, it was a lot wider, and the distance he was hitting the ball, you could hit it pretty much anywhere, like on eighteen he was flying it over the bankers and then yes, you have, you know, one hundred and fifty years to play with there, but now you can't do it anymore now. The landing area on the eighteenth it's probably twenty five years wide, the actual landing area because the right half of the fairway you can't see the green. So I think it's you know, it's a difficult course of the team, or at least I would say it's difficult, but it's a course that separates a lot of the good drivers from the poor ones.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I'd love to get your reaction to this. Rory McElroy has had mixed results at Augusta National. Obviously a player who hits the ball extremely long off the tee. I think sometimes he's described as more accurate off the t than he should be. At least that's what I have seen. And so I think there's a story to tell here that Rory early in his career Augusta National fit his game better. Like you are mentioning with how the course used to play for professional golfers versus now with this speed revolution in golfer's hitting it a lot farther. Rory himself included that his dispersion pattern doesn't fit on Augusta National as well as it would have at the beginning of his career. Is what is your reaction to that theory?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I kind of agree with it. I think the issue with Roory Augusta, I think it's nearly being solved now. To be honest, I think in the last in the last few years, excluding say the last couple of years, I would always seeing him play way to aggress him into the greens like it would often Shore sight himself way like if you if you look at Tiger around Agasta, I mean he can make the cut one leg and with the you know, no back, and it doesn't matter simply because he just plays in a way where he always lives. If he misses a shot, he always leaves himself a chance to get up and down, which is the same thing that Scott did so well this year when he was windy. I think it was the Saturday that was very windy. I can't remember exact there was one round where he was very windy and it was difficult for everyone, but Scotty was missing greens, and he would always miss it on a side where he would have an up and down, and I think in previous years I would obviously, you know, I was hoping for Rory to win, and I'm still and I think it will, but I think he was just missing two often in places where you know there's no there's no tomorrow, there's no you're starting to make. You can't make a power, you're starting to make a bogie. So I think one issue is that, And I think the other issue with Rory Agasta, as you kind of mentioned before, is that he hits it very, very long. But I think compared to other players, even when he's playing well, he might still hit a bad shot that obviously gets punished at Agasta. Like if I see, you know, the players of those caliber like John and Scotti and Brooks and DJ, when they're on and they're playing really well, I don't see many bad shots, while you know, with Rory as good as he is, and you know, he's every bit as good as any one of these players, sometimes even within't easy in contention, he still hits one shot that is like, you know, forty years off line and a Gasta you pay a big price for it. So I think it's a combination of things. I think I really like the way. I think it was not this year, but last year that he started really to talk in his you know, pre Masters press conference about trying to be more patient and how he not to you know, play himself out of the tournament on day one, which happened before, you know, trying to accept that sometimes he just needs to work for the middle of the green and tupat and keep going. And I think that's ther mindset and the attitude to win a Master's and I'm pretty confident that he's going to win one soon.
Speaker 2: Sticking on the Rory subject just for a minute, and a high profile scenario that he had earlier this year, there's sort of a debate that often happens when somebody fails, so to speak, in his position, which was a missed put on the seventy second hole at the US Open at Pinehurst. Right, he has a four foot downhill slider, Eduardo, you played in this tournament, so you're pretty familiar with those greens. When something like that happens, maybe you know where I'm going with this. Often people will start to say, like, well, he should have left himself below the hole. Now, what is your reaction immediately when when you hear that.
Speaker 1: No below the whole? Well, obviously it would have been easier, yes, But then if he tries to leave himself below the hole on the chip shot, he might be ten foot away and all of a sudden, you know, the make percentage from ten foot even from six feet or seven feet versus a four footer down hill across the slope, the fore footer is much easier, So you should always try to, you know, be as close to the hole as possible. I think the again with the Oral Pioneers. I think the big mistake was on sixteen the three but the bogie on sixteen from basically the middle of the fairway with a short iron in hand. That second part was again a three four footer, but it was much easier than the one on eighteen. That's probably what cost him the US Open, I would say. And the other thing as well is that, you know, you can talk as much as you want about that last round, but you cannot say that or Patti Pole on that last round because up until the fifteenth hole he made basically every part he could make in that round. He was very unlucky on the part five on the the fifth hole where he had a good second shot and ended up making a sixth. I mean there was probably a foot away from being an easy four. And again it's I think people underestimate how difficult it is to win golf tournaments, especially majors, especially those big events. I mean, he hasn't won in ten years now, but there's only four years. There's a lot of you know, good players that are trying to win them. It's it's extremely difficult. Then sometimes you need to know, you need to be lucky at one point. And obviously he's always been on the on the bad side recently. But you know, I saw him last week at Wentworth and I said, two, you know, it was before if finished second again. It just you know, I finished second at the Irish Open and I said to him, I said, eventually, if you keep playing like this, eventually the wheel is going to turn and you're gonna be on the good side and you're gonna start winning, you know, five, six and seven times in a year, like like Scotty does. And he just laugh and he said, yeah, I know. I just you know, have to be patient and it's gonna happen.
Speaker 2: So I know what's going on in some people's heads when they hear your explanation right there, and then what they will say, Dodo, is you're basing your analysis off of the average four footer, and that the four footer that Rory hit from above the hole on the seventy second green at Pinehurst, excuse me, is way harder than the average four footer. And actually you'd rather have a seven footer uphill to win than to have that four foot slider. What is your advice your reaction to that, but also your advice to junior golfers or anybody that's trying to play at a highlight. Are you always trying to chip it as close to the hole as possible or would you can see that, hey, in extreme situations when you play glassy, extremely undulating greens somewhere like Augusta, somewhere like Pinehurst. You know what, there actually might be some situations where I'd rather have a six foot uphill put than a three and a half foot downhill slider. What's your perspective there.
Speaker 1: Well, there are situations where you you would obviously you would like to have or it's easier to have. I wouldn't say six footer versus a three footer like it could be like a I'll give you like a five footer at Agasta on what's the slowest green there, say, on fifteen across the slope, and you know, down towards the water, that five footer is probably more difficult than the six footer straight up hill. Maybe, But again we're talking extreme situations where the average golfer would never encounter, like on your golf course, as fast as the greens may be, as sloppy as they may be, I think from short range at least, it doesn't. It's just the closest you are, the better it is. Now, if you know from further away, obviously a ten footer downhill on a super quick green it's going to be probably more difficult than a twelve footer straight uphill or a thirteen footer even. But then the thing is if you're starting to if you're trying too much to leave yourself the uphill pass, then all of a sudden you'll be putting all day from further away, and then you're gonna it's not an effective strategy in the end. It's almost like you have to accept that sometimes you're gonna have a four footer, you know, across the slope downhill, and you just have to hope that it's not on the last all of us open to make the playoffs.
Speaker 2: Two more questions for you before we get to a little bit of a Ryder Cup section, which I'm sure people are eager to hear your thoughts on the Ryder Cup. So you work not only with men's professional golf, but with women as well, and I believe Nelly Korda is a player who you ever working relationship with. Obviously, she's had a phenomenal season, a breakout year. I would be interested as you look at women's golf data compared to the men's golf data. Do most of these same concepts apply. My intuition would be that they do right, that they're too conservative off of the tea's as well. But some people might argue, well, the women's game is different and they hit it more accurately off the tea, so they should hit driver less often. What's your overall impression for analyzing both of those sets of data.
Speaker 1: I would say very very similar. Obviously, the women, like someone like Nelly, is incredibly accurate off the tea with driver, and obviously she hits it longer than her competitors, but she is straighter than anything I've ever seen. Like I remember the first you know, after the first few events, you know, I got all the data and I created the report, and I had to check the report a couple of times because I thought, there's no way she's hitting these many fairways. There's something wrong. But it's just it's a driving machine. She's very, very good. Also with a prose play. You know, she was a bit like I remember last year talking to his Caddy as well, and she was a bit like Scotty, Like you could see the potential in Scotty and you know, the pattern was letting him down. And Nellie was kind of similar, like as soon as she has and others were good patting week, it's almost impossible for her to finish outside top three. So she's an unbelievable golfer. But going back to your question, I think pretty much the same concept applies. Like even with them, you can see them sometimes they're two conservative of the tea. Same as demands they should hit driver way more often. And sometimes you know, even someone like Nelly that she has the approach shots incredibly good. She sometimes can be a little, you know, to a girl see into the greens. I think as golf professional, as you almost overestimate your ability with approach play with you know, being able to you know, there's a flag on the left side with water left, or just going to aim two years eight of it with a seven iron. Sometimes you know, it's almost impily. I put it this way, it's almost impossible to be too conservative into the grease with your approach shots, like you would have to be seriously aiming away from the pin way more than you think, and it's just very easy to become too aggressive. And if you're too aggressive, you usually pay a big price for it, especially in the beginnings.
Speaker 2: So I read in a twenty ten John Garrity golf dot Com article that you were accustomed to hitting a draw off of the tea and then put in a significant amount of work to change over to hitting a fade with the driver. And I think something we've seen in the modern era is a lot of players having more success with a fade. My question to you is is that actually just a realization of the best way to play golf or is that also technology driven that the modern driver you're the right person to ask, because when you started playing golf and playing professionally in the early to mid two thousands, the driver technology has changed a lot to now. So is that was that inevitable that everyone's going to end up hitting a fade or is that a byproduct of driver technology advancement?
Speaker 1: I would say I would say it's a byproduct of how the drivers are built these days. Obviously, the cog is very close to the face to reduce spin, maximize spin, maximize speed. And I think for some reason it's so difficult to hit the draw with you know, the modern clubs, especially with the driver. I remember, again going back to Rory when when he first came out, everything was like, it's linging twenty five yard raw even off the tea, and then in time like even now, when you see him hitting a driver on a good day or when he's playing well, it's a pretty neutral shape. And he was someone that he again he would, you know, sling it twenty twenty five yards right to left, and his swing hasn't really changed much. Maybe a little bit, but not that much. And when you look at you know, all the top drivers of the ball, I would say at least eighty percent he did left to right, and they don't even try to hit it right to left Like the most consistent of them, they all he did left to right. And I think again it's something to do with how the driver is built, and also I think swing wise, it's probably a fade is a little bit more reliable than at all.
Speaker 2: Last part on this we've had We've heard from a number of professional golfers, especially who have played over the similar period of time that you have, whether it's Adam Scott, Billy Horseell Rory, that the driver has gone from being one of the hardest clubs to hit to one of the easiest clubs in the bag to hit. And I think we've been pretty adamant on this podcast that we'd love to see the driver head shrunk or become less forgiving so that off center hits find some more of those penalties. Similar to how you're describing with the kind of architecture that you like to see. What is your react? Would you be in support of regulation change that shrunk the size of the driver head.
Speaker 1: I think that will be way more effective than what they're trying to do with the golf ball. I think again, as you said, it would bring a lot more penalties of the team play. It would bring more skill to you know, driving the golf ball straight and long. I think, you know, if I were to, you know, to make the rules, I would definitely go down that path. I think it's something that amateur golfers won't probably enjoy because for them it's easy with you know, these days, with the big club heads and just swing it and it doesn't really matter where you hit it, it goes somewhere straight. But I think for professional golf, I think that would be the way to go again. It will bring a lot more skill back into the game for sure.
Speaker 2: I think we need to see it desperately. I think it's a very under the radar issue that would significantly increase the entertainment value of the sport.
Speaker 1: And it would solve as well a lot of issues. To be honest, it would solve the courses being too long or like too short for the modern player, because you won't be able to swing it at one hundred and thirty miles per hour and keep it on the planet. You would have to swing it a bit more like you know, a few years ago.
Speaker 2: I'm with you, all right, let's get into the Ryder Cup section. This is the section of the pod that I believe Eduardo is going to dodge some of the questions as he is the an integral part of the brains of Team Europe. What was the first Ryder Cup that you were involved from an analytics side.
Speaker 1: Eduardo was the one in Italy. He was the one in Italy. I never did anything before then, just when even before Luke. So when Hendrik Stenson, he was captain, he knew I was working with some of the players and we met a couple of times. He asked me. It was kind of a job interview. He asked me what I was doing, what I could provide to the team, and I guess he liked what I could do for them, and then he hired me and he named me vice captain. And then when Luke became captain, he called me the very next day. And I've known Luke for like twenty five years, probably because we played amateur golf together, and the same thing. He asked me, you know what I could do, and obviously he Luke was vice captain before in Whistling Straits and in Paris as well, so he knew what was going on there and he said, yeah, I would like to, you know, get your help and keep working with you. So you know, yeah, I did the last one in Rome and of when when Luke was named captain again, I remember the very the day before he was named captain, he sent me a very nice text saying, you know tomorrow i'd be announced as captain. But you know I need I need you to be at my side from day one pretty much. So please you know, I would like you to to be vice captain again and said, yeah, of course, fantastic.
Speaker 2: That's awesome. So you will be a part of the team at beth Page for Team Europe. I have a couple of questions here and again feel free to disclose as much or as little as you'd like. Obviously we're going for as much as possible, but we'll see what we can get. You know, one view, when you're making optimal pairings, it would be, hey, we're going to put together the best analytically the best data driven pairings, and we're going to tell you who to play with, and you're gonna be fine with that, and you're gonna go out and play well, right like, that's probably in your head the ideal scenario, but like, let's say, for example, there are two golfers who really want to play well together, think they have extremely strong chemistry, but you might evaluate that they're a quarter of a shot, for example, disadvantage compared to the optimal pairing. I mean, is there does that chemistry matter to where it could actually when you factor it in outweigh that quarter of a shot? Like, how do you think about quantifying the chemistry and who people sort of on a subjective basis, want to play with.
Speaker 1: I think we find the chemistry that works a bit better with the data. Like I mean, I think the great thing with Luke was that we well, he was able to make decisions, and we made decisions altogether as vice captains with him taking into accounts all different bits and pieces. Obviously we knew, you know, which players wanted to play with who, We knew what the data was suggesting. But then there's a you know, there's a lot more things that go into it that it's not only the data, it's not only the players. Then you have to look at what balls they use, what you know, do they play well together? Do they you know, are they friends? Are the wives getting along well? I mean, there's a lot of stuff that goes on in there. It's not only obviously, the data is a big part of it, and I felt like Luke was going very much with the data. Then you know, there were some pairings that we had in mind that for one reason or the other, we couldn't we couldn't bring out. But again it's I think you need to find the right balance between the data, what the data says, what the players tell you. Sometimes you might have a player or a pairing that looks unbelievable, but then they're not playing well, so all of a sudden you can't really use them together. It's a combination of things. I think that the big thing for us with the data was that we had a good plan, stuck to the plan because obviously we got off to a great start, but it was avoiding some big mistakes or some you know, yeah, basically avoiding some big mistakes that were done before that might have you know, been repeated in Rome. We just stayed away from, you know, a couple of pairings that you know, sometimes the players want to play together, but you just explained to them, look, this is it's not gonna work. So if it's not gonna work, you're not gonna look good. We're not going to look good. It's gonna hinder the whole team. So you need to find again, it's it's a fine balance, and I think Luke's one of Luke's best skills that we was just to find. You know, everything he did was you know, from the communication to the players to you know, these little things. He was absolutely unbelievable out of ten.
Speaker 2: So if somebody said, hey, team chemistry and partner chemistry is a massive factor, would you be more inclined to roll your eyes at that a little bit? Or no, that, hey, there is some real credence to the chemistry that those two players had.
Speaker 1: No. Definitely, definitely. If you like to play with a certain player and you're friends with him and you feel like he brings out the best of you, great, But then again, I want to also see that the data doesn't say that or you're you know, out of one handle and twenty possible pairings, or so that you're not the one hundred and fifteenth possible pairing. So you know, within certain limits, Yes, you try and accommodate the players, you speak to them. But I think what we did is we tried we started to look at the pairings very very early. We started look, started to talk with the players extremely early. So when we got to Rome, everyone knew exactly what was going to happen, and there was no you know, no last minute guessing or no improvisation. I mean it took us every day. It took us literally five minutes to hand in the pairings simply because we knew exactly what we were doing and it was pretty simple and straightforward. There was a lot of preparation. I mean, the weeks before we're very easy. I think I couldn't make a cup for like a month before. It was like, you know, trying to do this, try to solve the pay it's time to speak with the players, trying to speak with Luke. You know, we were going to dinner with Luke pretty much every night. It was a lot of hard work before and then once you once you get to the weekend of the Ryder Cup, hopefully most of your work is done and you just you know, see the players play and play. Well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I want to drill down just into that a little bit, on the subject of sticking to the game plan versus taking in some of the information that you're seeing. So something I think both sides tend to do is play everybody on the first day. Maybe not a requirement, but tends to happen. How much information do you think is contained in what you see from a player in one of those first opening sessions versus your priors, and hey, even if this golfer that we evaluated is probably our weakest link, Like if he goes out and crushes it, are you saying to yourself, you know what, maybe he needs to get a little bit of more run the next two days? Are you sticking to that evaluation that you had coming in again.
Speaker 1: I think it's a it's a bit of a balance between the two. But I think golf is a sport where when you have a good week, anyone can beat anybody. So I tend to say that if someone is playing really well and it's confident in that environment, then you probably have to keep playing with him and find him a spot in the you know, in the lineup every day. One of the reasons I think why everyone wants to play everyone the first day and we'd usually do it, the American usually do it, is because the Ryder Cup itself is a very different environment to your day to day tournament. And you want to see how the player reacting that if you know, someone might not be playing very well coming in, but then you know, if you think about someone like Poulter or Sergio, they loved that environment and it didn't really matter how they played before. As soon as they got you know, somewhat of a decent start on day one, then they were incredible for the whole week. Other players might be opposite. You might have a player who is playing great coming in and then it just doesn't feel comfortable in that environment where everyone shouts and every you know, basically every golf every golf shot feels like it's the Sunday of a Major down the last hole, so you get players are reacting a bit differently, and if there's no history in it, you want to see how they play. And I think that's the biggest reason why you try and play everyone on day one and you know, and then you go from there a little bit.
Speaker 2: Multiple different directions you can go with this question, but does team Does experience in past team events matter? Right? Because I think you often hear, hey, well this player has a good record or solid strokes gained, right, that would be a better way to look at it. In a Ryder Cup environment or in a President's Cup environment. But like let's say you have player A who has a little bit of experience there is maybe the same age, but confers are twenty seven. One is never played in that environment, so it's an unknown one has played before. How do you think about how that could break the tire or work in one's favorite versus the other, Because then if you don't take the guy who's never played before, two years later you might have the same situation again where you might be holding against him that he hasn't had any team success.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, that's a good question. Again, it's it's a fine line with these things. You have sometimes go a little bit with your gut instinct. But also, you know, I'm not a big believer in you know, someone that has a great Raither Cappa record or a great President's Caupa record or whatever, because of that, he's going to play well in the next one. Because again, mesh play golf is a fickle sport. Mesh play is a bit of a I'm not saying a lottery, but it's like it's even it's different to seventy two hole stock play. It's very difficult I mean, the data semple is so small, and you might have a great record because you know, you play against someone that you know was just having a bad day and all of a sudden you get a point. But you might have been the second worldst player on your team and you still you get a point. So I'm not a big believer in you know, your your previous record. I'm more a believer on how you've been playing recently and how you've been playing on that single week, to be honest without mentioning it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's one question I had for you. That's one question I have for you. We talk about this cocktail of all the optimal pairings and who do they get along with. Do you think that a player's current form at this point is an underrated part of the puzzle from the way that people talk about it, just straight up how they're playing.
Speaker 1: Yes and no. Yes, it's undrelated for sure, because people think, oh, you know, player A has an unbelievable President's Cup record, and you know this pairing has been you know, almost unbeatable, so we should play them no matter what. And it doesn't really work that way. I think.
Speaker 2: Jordan speaks and Justin Thomas, you don't have to react to that.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, not necessarily. Justin Thomas. I mean he he didn't play in the first morning in Rome, and so you know, we still won four matches. So maybe if he had played, we wouldn't we wouldn't have one for I don't know, so yeah, I think again it's it's a very fine balance between all these things, and you know, sometimes again you have to be lucky, because I mean, everything looked it looked like we were geniuses in Rome because we decided to start with four songs, because we set up the golf force in a certain way. But then again, maybe Victor doesn't chip in at the first and then we lose that foursome, we lose another one. It's too old after the first the first morning, and it's a completely different Rider Cup. So you know, sometimes again it's it's fine lines. It's you try and shift the odds as much as you can in your favor, but there's only so much you can do. And at the end of the day, you know, a player having a good day or a bad day can turn the tables pretty easily.
Speaker 2: This is a complete hypothetical and definitely not happening in twenty twenty five, Eduardo, if a player was the captain and playing well enough to be on the team, do you think it is possible to succeed in both roles at the same time, that you could be both a captain making the decisions and a successful member playing on the ryder cut not that that's the scenario this upcoming.
Speaker 1: I think so. I think it would be a fantastic It would be a fantastic way to go about the week.
Speaker 2: Are you saying that from the perspective of somebody who wants team you're up to win or do you mean that sincerely.
Speaker 1: A bit of both. I think it would be something unheard of, and you know, it'd be a first and that never happened before, I think in an Eider Cup. So I would be very keen to see Keigan, you know, playing and being a captain. I think he could. Honestly, I think he could do. He could do a good job. It's just it's probably more difficult, yes, but you know, I mean, you know, deep down I'm hoping he makes the team and you know, see what happens.
Speaker 2: All I want to ask you two more questions. One is abstract. If you were tasked with building a Ryder Cup venue for the twenty forty one Ryder Cup. Yeah, none of probably none of the active players or very few of them would also be who we know of now would be playing fifteen twenty years right now? What would that golf course look like? Do you think there are reasons to believe that people who grow up in Europe might be more accurate, so you'd set it up that way? I mean, how do you think about a problem like that?
Speaker 1: No, I would, honestly, I will set it up in a way that he is as neutral as possible and you cannot really change it too much. Like I would love to see on a course where home advantage is not well, I think home advantage is big enough because of the crowds, and I think they should take away the course set up from the home team, to be honest, it's something that it can make quite a big difference, as it proved in the last few Rither Cups. And again I think you know, it's difficult enough to play in front of an away crowd that you don't also need the golfers to be set up in favor of the of the home team. I think they've taken away quite a few things already. Like in previous years, like if I'm talking ten or fifteen years ago, the home team could decide which teas they could set the pins. Sometimes they were the only one to know the pins that they were going to be used. So there was obviously too much of an advantage. So now they've taken away the t boxes, you cannot choose which one to use, whether you want to move up a tea or not. You can't do it. You cannot side on the pins. We are given the five pins at the beginning of the week that they're going to use in the you know, in all the sessions, but you're not even told this is the Sunday pin, this is the Friday morning pin. You just know the five pins. That's it. And I think that's a very good way to do it. And I would try and do pretty much the same on the golf So I would build the golf course where you know, ideally there's only one tea, so that's it. You can't can't move it, and I would make it, you know, a good match play courses in a lot of holes where there's like either reachable power fours with water or you know, reachable part five. You know with some penalty involved. I think I think Marcos Simono, I think it was a great venue because of the back nine, the front line was so and so, and we knew that we had a lot of data from the Italian opening previous years, and there were not a lot of birdies and bogies made on the first eight holes, seven holes, and then from the eight all onwards. If you look at it, it was either extremely difficult holes or birdie holes, but you could easily make a bogie on the same hole. There were holes where you could decide to go for it or to lay up like there was a lot of things happening from the eighth all onwards, and I think that's a very good trait to have in a radical course.
Speaker 2: Well there that would be one that somebody involved in informing Team Europe on the course setup, advocating to make it more of a neutral setup. I think that's something that will catch people's attention. Is I think a lot of people think that that's gone too far in that direction, that maybe the home crowd is enough of an advantage in and of its own right.
Speaker 1: So the only thing I would add is that compared to again ten or fifteen years ago, the players now are much more similar, Like there's no there's basically no difference in diving distance. There's hardly any difference in diving accuracy. You just try and find very small ages and very small areas where to make gains, So it doesn't make as much of a difference as many years ago. But also you have a lot more tools now than twenty years ago. Like twenty years ago you just knew how many failures we're hitting, how many games are we hitting, how many paths are we taking. Now we have you know a lot more information about your own players, the opposition players, so you make more informed decision for sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't want to keep you too long. I guess what I was kind of getting at with it. Do you think Europeans will be more accurate twenty years from now? Is the way the European courses are configured that the golfers are growing up on and maybe the air it being a little windier that you'd expect them to play a different style of game, do you you're saying, I don't think that's probably going to be true. Like you have the Hoyguards, long hitters coming in Ludvig, like we're probably going to see pretty similar skill sets that your opinion.
Speaker 1: I would say, I think it's going to get more and more closer together. And the thing is, most great European players, when they grow up, they immediately go to college when they're eighty in the US and they learn to play the game that is played in the US, which, yeah, I take it, it's very different to what we play here. Like when I grew up, I played ninety percent of my goal from links courses. Well, basically, you have to hit it low, hit it straight, doesn't matter how far you hit it, and you have to cheapen pat Well, and that's like the typical English player. My age is still you know, it's not long, hits it low and chips and Partwell. I think now the good English players that are coming on tour, because they've been in college in the US and because they you know, they understand that it's a different game as a pearl, they all bombed, they all hit it high. It's completely different to how it was twenty years ago.
Speaker 2: Well, Eduardo, I'm sure we could talk about a lot of these topics all day. I'll get you out of here with this and your unbiased opinion. What is the final result to the point value of the twenty twenty five Ryder Cup.
Speaker 1: Oh, I'm not going to tell you. I'll tell you this. I'll tell you this before the twenty twenty three Ryder Cup. I remember Luke asked me, what's your prediction? And I said to him, I think I might still have it in my pocket money. I said to him, I'm going to write it in a small piece of paper. I'm going to keep it in my pocket money, and I'm going to show it to you on the Sunday night when we finish and I'm missed by half a point. No, you know, I have a prediction for twenty five, but I'm not gonna tell you. I can write it down if you want, or I can send you. I can send you a text and then you keep the text and then September twenty five you can reveal the text.
Speaker 2: Sounds great. I'm going to hold you to that. Let's do it.
Speaker 1: Bye, I'll send you a text as weuch perfect.
Speaker 2: Well, Thank you, Eduardo, it's delightful chatting with you. Appreciate you coming on the Friday Golf Podcast and love to do it again.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Joe, thank you for having me and yeah, anytime we can do this again.
Speaker 3: All right, Joseph, great job with that Dodo Mulmari interview. That was fascinating stuff. Let's get to recommendations.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna recommend the music of Stgel Simpson, who I've kind of gotten into recently, and he's got to for me. I didn't get to go to his performance at acl Austin City Limits, but I heard not only was that amazing, but this tour that he's been on, I'm seeing a lot of clips from it on social media. Looks absolutely incredible and jealous of anybody who goes. And that's a great car road trip soundtrack his new album. I would recommend it for a setting like that. So I'm gonna recommend Sturgil Simpson. Andy I'm doing a music wreck too, Okay.
Speaker 3: So I had known of this band just through their collaborations with Leon Bridges. It's called Krungbin, It's kai Are. Let me just spell it for everybody.
Speaker 2: I believe there are Houston, Texas band.
Speaker 3: Yeah, khr U A N G B I N. If you're like really into guitar, in like like people that play the guitar, there's very limited vocals and like you know that from like Texas Sun, the the kind of like hit with Leon Bridges. It's a lot different than their other music, which is just like it's like super guitar having music heavy. I didn't I hadn't listened to a ton of them, but then I saw them play show and I was like, WHOA really into their music? Super talented and excited to see them again and start to really dive in. But if you're like into just like guitar limited vocals, this is a band to check out.
Speaker 2: All Right.
Speaker 3: That does it for this episode of the Friday Golf Podcast. Big thanks to our producer PJ Clark. Thanks PJ for putting this together. If you haven't yet, check out Club TF. We have a just a ton of stuff going up there. We've been adding some more member events, a lot more member events, small gathering. I think we'll do a lot of those next year. We are not going to be we don't really publicize these publicly. They have very few spots, so you know, it doesn't make sense to publicly put them out there on like an event calendar. But we are going to have a lot more of those next year. If you're a member you just get emailed hey, we're we have this setup. So we did some last week in northern Michigan. We'll have a couple in the southeast around our Old Barnwall event. But we will continue to add more and more of these as we go, so check those out and check out Club TF if you're not already a member. Big thanks to everybody for supporting us. The you joined CLUBTFE at the Frida egg dot com slash membership, it's one hundred and twenty dollars for the year, ten dollars a month and it really helps support us and helps us grow. So we will be back on Thursday. I think Garrett and I are going to do an architecture mail bag and then we also have an interview with Jason meersman a one of the one of the biggest characters I've met in the Superintendent world. So that'll be fun and thanks for listening.
Speaker 2: N