Speaker 1: Toss Popcorn is a production of iHeartRadio. Hi, I'm Sienna Jacob and I'm Leanna Holsten, and welcome to Toss Popcorn, the podcast where two idiots watched every film on the AFI's one hundred Greatest American Movies of All Time, the very slightly less racist tenth Anniversary edition, and are now watching films that we choose that are now directed by women.
Speaker 2: This podcast is a safe fishing barge for people who don't know anything about movies. Today we are watching Coda.
Speaker 1: We're gonna Sell our own.
Speaker 2: Flesh, a film with lots of Oscar buzz around it. A couple of years ago, it was the thing warning there will be spoilers about this sweet film. All al right, okay, okay, oh Sienna, let's just blast through these predictions because I gotta get to hay girl.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, okay, okay.
Speaker 2: God, just here. Had you seen this before? No? I hadn't. Okay me neither, ok okay yours. First, we are so problematic. We don't see any of the groundbreaking films I know when they actually come out. We try to do mine first.
Speaker 1: Then we'll try and we'll see and then we're screwed.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, fuck up? Okay, okay, great, Ready we are the problem. Yes, Hi, Sienna's Leanna. I'm about to watch Coda. I've heard great things. I you know, I'm just not really in the mood to watch movie right now.
Speaker 1: But when am I ever?
Speaker 2: What else is new? I predict? I you know, apparently it's beautiful, So okay, it'll be that. Love you bye woo.
Speaker 1: Okay, Leanna my prediction.
Speaker 2: Yes, Hi, Leanna, this is Sienna.
Speaker 1: I'm about to watch duh. My mom really likes this movie and I've been waiting to watch it for forever, but I've never seen it. I know it's about the child of a deaf parent of a child of deaf adult?
Speaker 2: Is that actually what code means? Something like that?
Speaker 1: But I predict it will make me cry or at least cheer up. I guess I never say that.
Speaker 2: Oh yep, okay, he love be goodbye?
Speaker 1: Oh I think that's what that means.
Speaker 2: I knew it was a music symbol, and I was like, why is this the title of the fils A music an idiot? Oh? We are idiots? Okay, between the two of us, we oh okay, I almost understood not.
Speaker 1: To be rude, but that makes so much sense. Somebody found out about both those terms, and they're like, I gottam this movie. And also they're gonna be fishermen maybe because of well I've already seen your first note.
Speaker 2: But anyway, my perfect first note. Thank you, Leonna hay Girl. Hey girl, Well I guess i'll start.
Speaker 1: You got chastised at the post office.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, I got chastised twice at the post office this I had to ship things internationally twice this week. One my brother's Christmas present to him because it finally arrived that those keeping tabs on the journey from Latvia to now California, although they shipped it through Los Angeles, so it's currently in Los Angeles.
Speaker 1: The Latvia gift.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it might not get to him because it's in Los Angeles. And I went and I brought my little envelope and the items, and I went to the counter and I said, Hi, I need to ship this to California please, because I don't understand how the mail works, so I didn't know what I was supposed to put into what where. No, they were like, oh my god, you need to get away from the counter and write the address on this envelope and put everything in there and come back once all of that is done.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's why I'm asking.
Speaker 2: Well, all right, I also feel like maybe I could just write it down here and a way to really send me away, just so that you can sell some stamps to the next person. And it's not gonna take me that long, okay. And then today I had to ship some items for work and they had batteries in them, and I almost nearly got arrested. I mean, the reaction was such. I tried to use the self Kiosk, the self checkout area and was quickly chastised because apparently that's only for items being shipped within the UK. And I was like, and where was the sign for that? Please? And then I tried to put all of them in one envelope and they said, oh my god, you can't do that because they might all rub together and explode in the post together. Well, now, why.
Speaker 1: Are we the other had explode?
Speaker 2: They would repine. Sorry about that phrase there, I'm hearing it back now.
Speaker 1: Well they might there horny batteries, That's what they said to me.
Speaker 2: And I said okay, And then I'd written the return address on the envelope, and they were like, you can't write two addresses on one envelope because the scanner scans the first address it sees. And I at that point literally said out loud, well this is going terribly. That's what they want. And he said, yeah, it's not going great, and I said, well what am I?
Speaker 1: Okay? They have the mail? How could they ever have British comedy of things? There went, well, I feel like people need to be like, oh bother, oh bother, and I was very O bother. I was oh bother.
Speaker 2: But everything got mailed and I think it's all good. Well, the King's face is on a lot of pieces of mail now that I've sent this week, gosh, because I had to send today's stuff in multiple envelopes to avoid the battery is rubbing together and exploding.
Speaker 1: Enough with the King, Enough with the King.
Speaker 2: America seventeen seventy six. Enough with the King. We're over him. And that's been a big thing in my week. Dying Siena, Hey girl, you are not in Los Angeles County currently.
Speaker 1: I left Los Angeles because of the fires, the many fires, and I'm here in Orange County at my partner's parents place. Thank you so much for housing us. All of a sudden, my house is safe. It is not burned up. There's lots of highway around. So as long as nothing goes God's danly wrong, it should be fine. But the problem with today's day and age and climate change is that things are happening differently than they ever have before. So you just can't count on anything. But yeah, flames. My house going up in flames, not a bit. The biggest thing that we're worried about, all good, Okay, okay, I think that's been really bad is air quality. That's why everybody had to because there's literally so much smoke. There was so much ash in the air. And it's not just forest fires. They keep talking about the forest fires, which is true, but it's not just forest fire smoke. It's property fires. So there's so much toxic stuff in the air. Oh wow, Yeah, I'm on the east side by the eaten fire. So here's what happened the other night. Also, if you're wondering, oh the stuff is happening in Los Angeles, I wonder if it's affecting the people. I know it almost certainly is, because it's happening on either side of Los Angeles. Almost everybody I know has evacuated for the last few days because the air quality is like horrible, horrible unless you can stay inside and you have a really good air, pure fire. If you have somewhere else to go, it's just safer to be gone. So Tuesday night, some actually Tuesday in the morning, my partner Kelsey, texted me a picture of this fire because he works really far on the west side, so he could see the Palisades from where he was, and he sent me this picture and I actually hearted it because I thought he was sending me a picture of the view, but in fact there was smoke that I didn't notice in the picture. And he said, you love the fire and I said, oh, I was wrong. Oh, And that was the first glimpse we saw of the fire. Is He's like, at this he was actually another museum for some work thing, and he was they could see it had a perfect view of just smoke coming up from the palisades, and he's like, it looks like there's a really bad fire there. So it keeps going on throughout the day and we get news updates that the Palisades are burning. We're like, that's really bad, and then it gets really, really really windy. The Santa Ana winds are hitting or some kind of winds. Tuesday night, it's so so so windy. It was so windy I was afraid and it was going to fall in my car. So I went outside to go move my car. So much stuff got in my eyes and the wind was so glowing so hard that I saw that I wasn't under a tree, and I just gave up. So I turned around. Kelsey is really near to that fire on the west or he looks near to me like the only thing between him and the fires is a bunch of trees, and he lives on one, in like a secluded area where there's just one street. So I text him and I'm like, please, please please come over, Please come over before a tree falls and you can't get out and something horrible happens. Please go now because it's so windy. And he took his damn sweet time stuff to get over, and I was so stressed. And he finally he drives over, but all the power's going out. My power never went out, but the power went out all across the city. He finally drives over. By the time it gets to me, a fire on my side of town has sprung up. Oh my god, so now that Eaton fire is going on. We thought we were gonna have sort of like a power out night, or if the power was on, we just all just like hunker down and watch a movie together. So we put on the movie Babe.
Speaker 2: What the fuck?
Speaker 1: One of my roommates is like, I don't know, I just really want to watch Babe right now, So Babe. And then we put the news on next to Babe because we've been watching it all night to just make sure that the fire isn't coming to my side of town.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it looked like it was okay.
Speaker 1: By the time we're going to bed, it was going east instead of towards us. We go fantastic.
Speaker 2: We go to bed.
Speaker 1: The morning, we all wake up at like seven forty five coughing itching so much ashes in the air that has gotten into our house despite the shut windows.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: We're all like, we gotta get out of here. So the first thing in the morning, all my friends from the area come over. There were like fifteen people in the house and we all just figured out where we were leaving too, because we had to evacuate. Going outside, you could not spend more than a minute out there because there's so much ash and soot and my car was covered in ash and we're like miles from everything, but you can tell it's toxic. It's like plastic, it's paint, it's not just yeah, but it was just super super super windy, and embers were flying across the city and everything caught on fire. Wow, and the fire is just getting fed. And the other thing that I'm learning so much about is, you know, people are like, oh, they're not containing it. They're not containing it. Fire is fire. It's just gonna burn. There's nothing you can do. What are you gonna do? Wet the sides and then hope it stopped, Like you have to wait until it kind of just simmers.
Speaker 2: Now, So dumb, I did think that's what you did. There's too much fire that you wetted the side.
Speaker 1: There's not enough people. There's too much fire once it's starting to settle down, and there aren't winds just straight up feeding it. I think there's more they can do, but mm hmmm, it's just it feeds itself. We we are, but we are but men on this earth. We have The climate change is so problematic and it's so important for us to work to stop it because we ca this is what happens nature that much.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what is that? Colossal? Wow? Yeah? So gez Yeah, so I.
Speaker 1: Guess it won't make my improv show tonight.
Speaker 2: Hm anywow geez. Okay, Well, I'm so glad you're safe. Well well Leanna speaking of coastal towns. Yeah, film, let's get into it. Gosh, this feels like such a hairpin turned into a podcast. Leona.
Speaker 1: Your first note, which I have read because I actually.
Speaker 2: Oh no, we need a synopsis please of the film.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, crap.
Speaker 2: I did my worries. Honestly, no worries. If not, you've been dealing with a lot.
Speaker 1: That's where I drop a line that it can record.
Speaker 2: But I'm not doing this synonymsense, okay, Coda.
Speaker 1: Ruby is the only hearing member of a death fishing family. The two things happening in this movie are that the fishermen of the area in Maine are trying to get better pa Massachusetts. Oh crap, wait, yeah, hmm, I ask you a number of questions.
Speaker 2: College in Boston, and it's thirty minutes away.
Speaker 1: I saw fishermen and I just assumed I like, bring up Maine through this a number of times and ask you about your experience. Did two things happening in this movie That the fishermen of Massachusetts are trying to get better pay and they eventually start their own company because they just keep getting price couched and it's really frustrating to watch. And also Ruby loves to sing. She's been a translator for her close knit family her whole life, and she is now trying to find her own way as a senior in high school about to graduate. By the end of the film, she's embraced her love of singing, and she gets into Berkeley School of Music after singing a beautiful but inappropriately long audition song the end.
Speaker 2: Don't get me started on that audition. I was like, there's no way throughout it, I kept saying, in what world? In what world?
Speaker 1: This movie was sweet and uh, but I'm kind of like rude about it a number of times.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, thank god, girl, I oh, thank god.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry. I don't mean this as like all the all the deaf parts. Ate loved it, loved loved uh. I just felt like there were a lot of favors being traded in this film. Like the people. Some of the people cast. I was like, now, how did you end up here?
Speaker 2: Just a few of them interesting?
Speaker 1: And then all the Oscar Noms. I'm like, all the Oscar Nams, the parents incredible, the main girl dad, the job she was in it. This main actress clearly did not British. First of all British. She clearly There were a number of tis where I was like, sorry, is she from a deaf family or background. She's not. She just learned it from the movie which comes through.
Speaker 2: Oh interesting.
Speaker 1: I was surprised. I was surprised they did that.
Speaker 2: My thing, I found the plot so annoying. I had no incredibly annoying. And what I learned about myself is I do not care for a film whose plot arches toward the big audition. No singing, I'm not interested in that a singing being movie.
Speaker 1: In a singing movie, somebody has to try to sing and then they have to sing and we have to watch them sing. No, that's like, it's definitely a risky film. That's why I was, yeah that it just felt like a very, very very Hollywood movie. Like I truly feel like somebody said coda, but what about coda? And also like your first note, what about cod?
Speaker 2: And that was just me typing in the title of the film to search it and I put in the D and I said cod And then it turned out to be so very about fish. Yeah, it really it.
Speaker 1: It feels like they said, let's make an oscar film. Okay, I know.
Speaker 2: The code are the things we need in modern day.
Speaker 1: I have some amazing deaf actors who I've wanted to work with and have wanted to tell their story. I'm gonna make some. There are some parts about the screenplay that I enjoyed, like the speeches and stuff. I enjoyed them. Yeah, so it's like, let's get them there. Then what else can we do? What else can we do? Their daughter loves to sing? Yeah, and not only will she love to sing. Let's make it a classic audition movie.
Speaker 2: People love it. People eat that up.
Speaker 1: And then I don't, And then listen, I got a cousin with a fisherman boat in Massachusetts. You can shoot there for real cheap. Not to completely hate. There are many things I enjoyed, but I was like, this is coda.
Speaker 2: I know, I know, same, Okay, great, are you eating fish? That seems like it might have been stomped on by an angsty teen. That's fishing. We'll be back in a few minutes.
Speaker 1: There's a lot that I enjoyed. And also I think, really truly we have the main graph about this movie, which is it It was a singing film, and.
Speaker 2: That is insane.
Speaker 1: I just I don't care for auditions and sings Happy Birthday.
Speaker 2: When that was the audition song, I was like, that is a famously hard song to sing. That song doesn't fit in anyone's range because it was written in the eighteenth century for people whose bodies were smaller.
Speaker 1: That's so funny.
Speaker 2: Your first note, your first note is a fisherman with a voice of gold, just like Jesus. Was he a fisherman?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Oh, a construction worker.
Speaker 1: He was what was her piper?
Speaker 2: He wasn't a fisherman. Jesus was a designer. He wasn't a fisherman.
Speaker 1: I'm wrong.
Speaker 2: What's his thing with fish? He just had a lot of them. He gaged you fish.
Speaker 1: Fishermen were super in in the Bible, so he's represented by the fish.
Speaker 2: It was like the job, like product manager. Yeah exactly. Now people do startups now.
Speaker 1: Back then they were fishermen, so like a lot of his friends were fishermen, so you know I got that wrong.
Speaker 2: Okay, Oh, this is really interesting, Ciana. You wrote every high schooler in this is thirty and we love that, and I thought they all were teens.
Speaker 1: Really, Oh they looked so old to me. Mainly, Okay, I'm sorry, this is just me being a hater. My One of my main things about this movie were I couldn't believe her friend. Her friend the slut, the slut who, by the way.
Speaker 2: The underage slut.
Speaker 1: They were like, Okay, we need to cast a slut, and somebody was like, oh, my friend has really been working on her acting, Like I think she could do this role. That's what it felt like. She didn't feel like a bonified slot. She felt like me playing a slot. It felt like me coming on and being like, we can't call him little fingers anymore because he has a.
Speaker 2: Big penis.
Speaker 1: Penis. It's just, yeah, I'm sorry. I thought her friend was not the best actress, and for that reason, Canny Valley, I do not think I could do better.
Speaker 2: It's like that.
Speaker 1: That's why I felt like this shouldn't be.
Speaker 2: And that's okay, And you are not the only other actor out there, And that's why we are able to critique this because there are many people to choose from.
Speaker 1: Like yeah, exactly exactly. It doesn't need to be me, it could be anyone.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I found that interesting with the casting of the lead where yeah, it's like she didn't grow up speaking asl she's British. This is the one time I've ever been like, we should have cast an America. And I hate teens. I hate teens doing acting. They do that breathy bullshit with their lines where they say no dad.
Speaker 1: I looked up fair all the three main high schoolers British, Canadian, Irish trying to do American.
Speaker 2: You'll never understand.
Speaker 1: Wow, wow, happy burning sadly. And you said how many shoes are in the ocean, and probably a lot? Gosh, I had never thought about that before. They caught so many shoes that happens in like fishing games, like as a joke.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like you pick up a boot, a little an old leather boot, and you say, hah hah, there's probably a ton. But this was a Nike sneaker.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh my gosh, Leanna, you said the only thing more annoying than a drama kid acquire kid did you.
Speaker 2: Acquire No, I was watching this was interesting. I had a personality.
Speaker 1: Oh oh, oh oh, I thought you were gonna say I was interesting. I didn't acquire, but I did do blah blah. I thought I'm gonna explain.
Speaker 2: Had stuff to say that made others laugh and experience joy.
Speaker 1: I love when he hands When mister V hands that one girl like a Morocca thing or whatever that was that and she does it so poorly he has to take it away. That completely real. At my school, I'm really sorry.
Speaker 2: I'm just over the archetype of teacher with kind of a god complex who's mean to you and yells at everybody and treats children in a way that's insane.
Speaker 1: So I watched this with my current partner ex acapella person. Wow, Kelsey's an ex acapella person, and he was horrified watching this. He was like, no, no, we can't go back. I can't go back. No, No, he horrified because it felt so real. I think he just found it so cringe. People taking singing so seriously.
Speaker 2: That is true.
Speaker 1: And we were talking about how this is the person at school, Like it's funny in the movie, but this this teacher at school would be so fired. Oh my god, like court martials, sassy, cruel, treats kids like adults in a way that is kind of hard on them. You know, you're wasting my time. They would be so fired.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: Did love him though kind of felt like he was in a different movie, But I loved him.
Speaker 2: He absolutely was. He was in a different movie in a different tax bracket as well. What was that house? Oh my gosh, his coastal mansion. There was a moment, but he lives in on a choir teachers salary with the child's at a public school in Massachusetts.
Speaker 1: What class of eighty nine? Berkeley College? I'm sorry when they brought up Berkeley, I called it before it even the words even appeared on the screen.
Speaker 2: Oh did you really?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Amazing.
Speaker 1: It was like I think, have you thought about college? And I'm like, they're gonna say Berkeley School of Music? Bir Oh my god, because okay, Sleigh, this movie is like Glee. It's like, well, what does a girl who likes to sing on a boat want to do? She needs to did they did they mention Glee?
Speaker 2: Yeah? He was like, I'll find out which of you are tenors? Which of you are altos and which of you just watched too much Glee? This movie was like ugh, ughly, we are tired, you said, Am I in a bad mood?
Speaker 1: Or do I hate this movie? I feel like this is gonna switch. The second half was a completely different film, much like Knows for All I think different, but it was switched on this phy. I think I enjoyed this. I enjoyed her family when they stopped. Like the mom to me felt like an archetype also for a lot of the movie, and then she started feeling more like a three dimensional character. And in the last third of the film, I thought the dad was really good. There just was much more emotional connection at the end. And I struggled so much with this idea that they rely solely on this one person to interpret for them. Yeah, and don't care at all about what she wants to do with her life. Yeah, yeah, Yeah, it was interesting. It was so interesting. The second half I really liked a lot. I really felt the frustration and the pain of like, oh, you need to be there for your family who needs you, and they've become reliant on her, and yeah.
Speaker 2: But.
Speaker 1: It's true, it's interesting they wouldn't think about that but it did feel like she had sort of self centered and scared parents. You know, they just didn't know how to love her in that way, you know, but they kind of learned together as a family. This is kind of random right now, But what was sort of a significant moment for me, because definitely there were though the singing part was it was necessarily stupid. We are too we are to sort of drama kid esquely, this is just it's stupid and we know that. But a lot of the stuff about disability was interesting and uh maybe me think a lot workers' rights really frustrating, really interesting. There were some moments of tension, like when she had to she wanted to go to the to sing and the news was here. It was just so heartbreaking and so frustrating and stressed me out so much. When she was looking at her phone.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, I was in fight or flight during that scene, so I was dressed us.
Speaker 1: I think the parents were so good I would have watched them. I wish it had been a whole movie of them, to be honest. But the part when she was singing and they were trying their best to pay attention, it was an interesting thing for me where I was like, oh yeah, even beyond not obviously being able to hear their daughter singing, there's no reason why they would have sort of any sense of like a hearing one hearing moment being I mean obviously they know that, but like for them, their actual experience of her singing isn't like a particularly poignant moment the wait, it is for everybody else, because it's just like another hearing Like it's such a hearing moment to hear somebody say I was.
Speaker 2: I was being so problematic during that scene because my superiority complex came in with a vengeance where I was like yet another reason why drama kids are more interesting than choir kids, Because if you're deaf and you go to a drama club performance, at least we're fucking doing something with our bodies. We're wearing fun costumes. There's a lot visually that's interesting to look at. These just stood in line for an hour and a half.
Speaker 1: Yeah, bump, bump.
Speaker 2: I'm really sorry. I'm sorry. I find choir so annoying. I don't know why I have such a beef with choir, but I do make the ugliest noise you can.
Speaker 1: Ah, ah, what did you think of the parent actors.
Speaker 2: I thought that they both did a great job. I was frustrated with the mom character. Yeah, I thought for a lot of the film it was an annoying trope of the mom is the bad guy, the dad is the understanding one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that does always happen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they got away from the end.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but yeah.
Speaker 2: For the first I found her very unsympathetic for the first like two thirds of the movie. Is when she like when her daughter tells her she's doing choir and her mom's like, why are you doing that? Oh? I enjoy it and I'm making friends. Yeah, it was so odd.
Speaker 1: That's a good point. I don't think.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I guess I guess where it felt strange. People can change over the course of a film. Great this one, it felt like the whole time they were telling us like, oh, but her daughter like loves her parents, Like, that's not the issue. The conflict here isn't that she has bad parents. That's not what we're doing. And I was like, but you're writing this mom as if she's like doing a bad job parents.
Speaker 1: An interesting point. Yeah, that's an interesting point.
Speaker 2: It's which again, once they had that scene, Yeah, once they had that scene where her mom and she and her mom talk about like the day she was born and it's just the two of them in her room. I was like, great, and then from there, from then out, I loved the mom. He looked so much like a weathered fisherman. I googled him. I was like fisherman, question Mark, and they're like, no, he's been an actor for decades since the eighties. And I was like, oh my god, what.
Speaker 1: Look at your mom. She's hot.
Speaker 2: Oh. I didn't like that. They were quite crass about sex, and I'm so comfortable parents don't have sex. I don't know why we're putting forth this narrative that they do. Oh, Ciena, you wrote I've never done anything without my family before me doing my taxes wrong. Sorry, I would say, just you, yeah, it is me generally. How did you feel like, did you connect with the the through line of like a very tight knit family totally?
Speaker 1: Yeah, the Titan family, and especially in high school when she said to her like, beyond just her being a translator, I keep saying that, beyond just her being an interpreter and uh, you know, being the one hearing person in her family, when he was like, you know you got to be able to be places on time, You got to be able to you know, you're letting me down. When mister B was saying all that, and she eventually was just like, I've never done anything without my family. Hmmm, I felt completely that way in high school.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that put that actually was a really good way of putting what's so weird about growing up and what's so scary about it, you know, is it's like, hmm, I'm from a close family and we do everything together. I loved from they all went to audition together. You didn't like that.
Speaker 2: I liked that they drove there together. I thought that was sweet. Then when they have a lot of qualms with the audition scene, I.
Speaker 1: Love that they didn't care. I love how much didn't And I think some of that was that I liked the family care.
Speaker 2: I liked.
Speaker 1: The audition scene. You mean I I did not understand.
Speaker 2: What that one like the piece of fiction where they let the child who showed up thirty minutes after her audition slot still audition bring in her own teacher to do the score for her. That would start the song over and have her family in the auditorium for the audition no, no Hano Debez.
Speaker 1: But his character was completely from another movie. I'm sorry when you give in, Oh play the music, I'll play for her.
Speaker 2: I guess what what I didn't like about it was the Fisher people like the fish side of the movie felt so grounded in reality and so like dealing with harsh every day yep, things that people in this town were going through. The whole felt like complete fantasy fiction. I completely agree, And I was like, I don't know how to I reconcile these two. I was in one movie.
Speaker 1: That's the thing. That's a really good way of putting when I was like, this is was the Oscar movie of the of twenty twenty one? Because it was it was two different movies.
Speaker 2: That is what it felt like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was very interesting. It was strange, but it wasn't really in like a super campy or purposeful way. It didn't feel like that, you know. It wasn't like the lighting changed and she suddenly in this fantasy world.
Speaker 2: Yeah it was strange.
Speaker 1: It was strange. Yeah. I loved that her family didn't g.
Speaker 2: G and f.
Speaker 1: Sorry everybody, if you'll excuse me, I need to go sing my auditions And it's going to take a little over three minutes. That's how long they are, right, We'll be right.
Speaker 2: I'm believable.
Speaker 1: Leani, you said, sometimes you hear a special voice and it reminds you to keep making music. Hah, fuck all the other choir kids. I guess he says that at the choir concert.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, all the choir is done performing and they leave the stage, and then he's doing the intro for the duet and he says that, And I'm like, imagine being one of the other obviously annoying but still a human choir kids. Still, and you hear the choir teachers say that, and you're like, what the hell? They already got the solo. We already knew that they were the right You had to go and also say that, uh huh. So when I sing, you don't feel like making music?
Speaker 1: Okay, I never want to make music again. Leanna, you said, you said, the next hetero couple I have to watch snog I'm gonna kms. Oh yeah, yeah, that's the other thing is like this, So the mean teacher loves her, pairs her with the guy she has a crush on. They fall in love, they kiss, they sing a song together.
Speaker 2: I would obviously I have a lot of personal bitterness tied to this kind of a plot line, but it was so annoying.
Speaker 1: I would call this movie the opposite of No Speratu and everybody for our take on nos Feratu, you can visit our patreon for a bonus monthly video episode both on the same day and just thinking about like this one is such a predictable sort of Hollywood and.
Speaker 2: Then it is a black ohmen, at least no one in this movie died while inside another dead person. That's that thing is That is why.
Speaker 1: We're watching movies by women, because I haven't explains about the choir kid thing. But nobody died boning each other and I love that.
Speaker 2: Okay, we've done a lot of criticizing of the pieces of the piece that we did not enjoy that disturbed our piece. But Siena, let's let's award the movies and badges and trages, badges.
Speaker 1: For badges for barges, badges for barges and tradges.
Speaker 2: For taking a large profit of the workers earnings. Yes, gosh, that was so frustrated taking a large portion. Oh, I have a badge for nature. I appreciated their appreciation for nature and how she found the lake the Lakes Massachusetts, the Lake a New England lake can be a rejuvenating spot. That was so beautiful. Oh, I got.
Speaker 1: I had a badge for the parents again. I loved these actors so much. I already knew Marley Matlin, but I had not seen this guy before. I thought they were fantastic. And also I loved that they were just spicy parents, even though you know, they had flaws. They loved each other. They were crass, but you know they they were Actually they were characters, and they were strong characters. I thought they were awesome.
Speaker 2: I'm going to require so much psychoanalysis about why I don't like it when parents bang. Really I love to look into My other badge is a badge for when they fade out the sound during the duet at the choir concert, so you see how the concert feels from the family's perspective. That was great. I was actually hoping they were going to do something like that at some point, because there's do you know the show Strictly Come Dancing m It's the UK's equivalent of Dancing with the Stars, And there was one season a few years ago where one of the contestants was deaf, and for the most part, for almost every dance they played music for it, and she could hear it. I think she either had a cochlear implant or she could feel like the rhythm of the base of the music. But for one of the numbers they faded out the music so that for like a full minute of the dance. Whoa, they're dancing in silence. And it was really so beautiful. Wow, I have boosebumps now. No, it was complete silence.
Speaker 1: Wow, that is so cool.
Speaker 2: It was really lovely. So I liked that moment a lot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, me too. It's always powerful to in some way when movies can show you somebody else's experience in some way, it's like, I think that's a powerful use of the medium that we yeah, so much trouble with. That's exactly right, Yeah, badge for ASL. I just love ASL. It is so compelling language. It's just animated and visual and so much depth, and I really I really enjoyed a lot of the speeches they had.
Speaker 2: That's the end of my badges. Oh sorry too, Okay, I feel so problematic, not like, but then I think it would be problematic to like it just for the sake of liking it because it represents an underrepresented community.
Speaker 1: I think you're right that there were two movies happening.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and one of them.
Speaker 1: Is the worst thing to kid could ever watch. Yeah, that's true. Badge for And I'm sorry. I know my mom really likes it, but I think it's because you haven't experienced the trauma of really annoying singer kids. Mom. Badge for these parents can't stop banging.
Speaker 2: I love that.
Speaker 1: I think that's awesome. No badge for love this Dad. I also love Marley Mattlin. I think the first scene that's just like her and her daughter, even though she was being like a bad mom. I was just so struck by how compelling that scene was compared to everything else i'd seen.
Speaker 2: Oh can I give one more badge? A badge for the scene after the concert where her dad asks her to sing the song for him on the truck. Yeah, and he like feels it through her. That was really sweet. That was really great.
Speaker 1: That was really really sweet. Oh yeah, just okay. I'd say if I was going to give a critique of this movie in just a few words, it would be that this was like six Oscar Worthy scenes after seventy minutes of Glee, and so those final oscar Worthy scenes were really good and compelling. It just felt like, oh, okay, here's all the Oscar stuff, because before that it was just like a girl singing with a boy. Yeah, but I think those scenes were really good, and like when it was just her alone talking to her parents, those scenes are super compelling. I just loved the speeches that her parents gave, and I thought it was sweet when she started signing during her singing. I'm just really critical of the fact that they didn't get somebody who's been doing it since birth, but because I'm like, I think that would have made it even more powerful. But that again is me being a nitpicker or an idealistic and idealistic viewer. But I thought that was really pretty and Okay, yeah, I started crying. Okay, all right, they got me, Okay, all right, they got right badge for I love that they started the successful business yeah, a movie where they they succeed in they left the price gougey Yeah, and they started the business go off. And finally I did actually love when mister V messes up the piano so she has to start again because she's doing so bad that he's.
Speaker 2: Like, oops, my bad.
Speaker 1: Mm hmmm. Anyway, love that trages. I literally went when he did that, I literally said out loud, genius.
Speaker 2: My first trage is for dead fish. Yeah, there were a dead fish in this.
Speaker 1: A lot of them, and they were smashing them around with their feet, and I was.
Speaker 2: Like, is there a teen stomping on my fish? When I eat a fish? Has it been stomped on by a teen? A Massachusetts teen who doesn't want to be doing this?
Speaker 1: It's possible. Trage for my very first tradge that I wrote down, probably very early on, is the singing part is cringe for sure.
Speaker 2: A trage for class ending in the middle of a lecture that never ever happens in real life and in every film the teacher is like and then in nineteen thirty nine Germany decided to and the bell rings and the like, well, I guess that's it for TA. I'm like, no, you finished the lecture. You spend like ten minutes talking about the homework. Yeah, around papers?
Speaker 1: Kind of awkward?
Speaker 2: Yeah, what what? I hate that in films?
Speaker 1: Trasge for again. I wrote this in probably the first twenty minutes. I wrote, not quite as a complex as I expected.
Speaker 2: Hmm, interesting, interesting, interesting that you want deaf people to have complex lives.
Speaker 1: No, it's because it's an Oscar Worthy movie. It's the movie because so much Oscar buzz I could not believe it was about a singing teen. But again, as the movie went on, I think that that critique would then be turned into there are two stories going on, because they didn't bring up the workers' rights part very deeply until the second half, which was a very true. That was a compelling, very compelling film.
Speaker 2: Uh. Trage for not being allowed to sit down when the choir teacher comes in is like, nope, stand up everyone. Oh my gosh. I became exhausted at the memory of having to stand up out of my chair during the singing sessions. The singing is horrible for the school musical horrible. Let me sit down, Trag'm not a born singer. I want to sit.
Speaker 1: I was born to sit, not to sing. Trage for that scene where everybody knows more than you about something and you realize it when you get to the room, terrifying. That was all of college for the audition. I didn't know about this m college when I got to an arts program and everybody was talking about artists and I was like, Okay, no, I'm taking this class because I've never heard of one. I don't know anything.
Speaker 2: I know like Vincent van Goh, and that should be allowed. It's so annoying when people already know things. It's terrible trage for outside clothes on the bed. When she and her friend are over at her house, they're both lying on her bed with not even the duvet, the comforter up on the sheets, in their outside clothes.
Speaker 1: And they were probably fishing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh fishy bed.
Speaker 1: Trag for. Again, that doesn't bother me that much, but I get it trag for. Is there some scenes with her speech where it really did not feel like she grew up doing asl And I was like, oh, that's such a missed opportunity in my opinion, But.
Speaker 2: Uh, trage for. I really don't get high school bullying as depicted in movies. Okay, I don't know if I don't remember high school fish girl, but.
Speaker 1: What slop flop fish girl? What oh smells like fish fish girl?
Speaker 2: I just don't your parents are deaf, eh, I don't think that is happening.
Speaker 1: She seemed to be the in the world getting bullied.
Speaker 2: Also, yeah, odd, odd, Yeah, I have another odd depiction of high school.
Speaker 1: Like oh yeah, mean girls are gonna be like, oh, you're a fishy fish girl, like we hate you. I guess, yeah, I really don't get it. My final trage is my first trag, which was, Okay, this is this movie is a little cringe. And every time I wrote that thing down, it was when they were having a singing scene. So I think, yep, yep, I think we get it.
Speaker 2: Yep. A trage for this. This will be my last trage. A trage for why doesn't anyone ever explain what's going on or try to reschedule when they can't make something. Yeah, the scene where the news showed up and she couldn't go to music practice because she then had to interpret for her parents for the news. I was like, this would have been on their calendar. She could easily just text her music tutor and say, hey, I'm really sorry, this is what's going on. Could we maybe move these sessions to a later time, given that I'm always late to them, could we maybe move these to a half hour later because I'm consistently arriving at five twenty, So if we started at five point thirty, we could avoid this problem. And instead she's like, I have a lot going on, Like just say, the news showed up and it was a really huge thing.
Speaker 1: Just explain what family going on? Family thing.
Speaker 2: I don't like that. It's like how you feel about when people don't answer questions in movies they just walk away. That's how I feel when people when there's some sort of like misunderstanding, yes, unavoidable misunderstanding. Hate that.
Speaker 1: Well, Yahn show onto our next segment, which is, of course, how to pretend you've seen this film. This is for Yes, you are standing by the water, just trying to look at the nice the nice looking at the lake of a Massachusetts lake, and Miles Miles, Miles on.
Speaker 2: A boat full of shoes, the tallest, palest, skinniest boy in school.
Speaker 1: He says, I was just coming to dump all these shoes in the water because I'm done with them. You say, don't do that. So many about things happening in the class, so many about things to our environment, He says, Hey, you know.
Speaker 2: Sitting on that rock singing Happy Birthday to yourself really reminded me of a film.
Speaker 1: Of a film I saw I liked all the crassness.
Speaker 2: Shout at you crassley about it at a time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you've never even heard of it. It was Oscar buzz, but most girls haven't seen it. And uh. In order to in.
Speaker 2: Order smiles out of the conversation and rescue the lake from shoetom, here are.
Speaker 1: A few things you can say to pretend you've seen the film Coda.
Speaker 2: Miles, I've seen the film Coda, or as I like to call it, cod.
Speaker 1: Cod uh a cod cod ah. I'm sorry, this is what I hate Hollywood. Yes, Miles, I have seen Coda. Two fun facts are the onset interpreters. We're all Coda's that children of deff adults, which makes sense. I think that's really common for interpreters. And then also the other fact is that Amelia Jones spent nine months learning American sign language, having singing lessons, and learning how to operate a fishing trawler.
Speaker 2: Okay, wow, so they just got like a pretty British girl.
Speaker 1: Why not get someone who went any other parts the four things that are part of this fishing sign language, singing and being American. She didn't know any of them. Why is it that we do things this way?
Speaker 2: Interesting. She did a good job acting wise, but that is interesting.
Speaker 1: I get why she's just good. I didn't think she was bad. I just just is this how we really go about it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Miles, I've seen Coda, and I'm going to tell you now what the teacher told her Ruby in the film during a moment of being frustrated. I have a whole life that has nothing to do with you, and I need to get back to it, Miles, so please paddle away. Wow.
Speaker 1: This sucks, Yes, it sucks, but then it's good and also makes it clear maybe why this was such an impactful film at the time.
Speaker 2: And I'm being.
Speaker 1: Nippicky, but uh, yes, Miles, I have seen Coda. When it became clear to the financiers that Sean Hayter intended to cast real deaf actors for all the deaf characters, the financiers threatened to withdraw their funding. What I guess, because they thought it wasn't gonna have enough pull like they wanted more.
Speaker 2: That's so wild. That is wow.
Speaker 1: So sorry Sean for being so rude, because I know that you did you you cared.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah.
Speaker 1: But then Marley Mattlin then said that she would pull out if that turned out to be the case and they reverse their decision, So way to go, Marley.
Speaker 2: She has so much power work.
Speaker 1: But like, what the hell? That is insane?
Speaker 2: That is insane.
Speaker 1: That would be horrible. Imagine if it was like, I don't know, Ben Affleck playing.
Speaker 2: The dad, Oh god, and it would have been Ben Affleck as well.
Speaker 1: That would have been so so's Boston way less impactful and offensive. That a they didn't cast anybody in b They thought that any that any actor could be just as good as somebody who actually speaks asl.
Speaker 2: Hmmm, true, Miles, stop it. I've seen coda and you're being as dumb right now as when the dad says, in response to the mom saying our baby is moving away, the dad says she was never a baby, which, when you think about it for one second at all, is biologically false.
Speaker 1: She never was a baby due.
Speaker 2: To the fact that at one point she was in fact literally a baby. Now put the shoe down and get out of the lake. I love that. I think I was never a baby. That would have been inappropriate.
Speaker 1: It is really funny imagining you as a baby.
Speaker 2: That is hilarious, Like what was I doing pissing myself. I don't think so. I think I was just kind of keeping it all together and being reserved.
Speaker 1: Yes, Myles, I have seen the film Coda. Troy Kotzer, the dad in this, was the first deaf male actor to win an OSCAR for this movie. I think he won Best Supporting Actor, which he totally deserved. And then Marley Mattlin, who was the mom in this movie, was the first deaf female actress to win an OSCAR for Children of a Lesser God, which is I think what?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, in the nineties, Sleigh Sleigh, Sianna, should we jump off the cliff into our next segment?
Speaker 1: Let's do it.
Speaker 2: This is, of course, is yes, should you watch this or or boat, in which we tell you if we think you should watch the movie or if you should do something else with your time?
Speaker 1: Leanna, what do you think?
Speaker 2: I think, Yes, you can watch Coda. I think it's important to see stories totally about people with disabilities. A because like giving them an additional view is important industry wise, not that they get enough royalties because it's on a streaming platform, but B because it's just interesting, like it moddens the horizons totally. It was also an interesting way to watch a movie, like, I watched it differently than I would have watched a movie without as many subtitles, because I literally had to watch. Yeah, that's so often I often am not I'm often looking away or distracted, and so it's certainly a worthwhile watch. But you if you are a former performer from high school, you will absolutely a lot of moments that you totally take for yourself. What would you say, Sienna.
Speaker 1: I feel exactly the same. I think it's actually totally worth a watch, even though we were critical. It's uh, I've also been lucky to see probably it like if you've never seen any content with any deaf actors, or seen a lot of deaf content on TV or anything. I mean, I think it's totally worth watching that getting into it. Yeah, there's a lot that I really liked about the movie. I think it's totally worth a watch. And as long as you're bracing yourself. The only reason we were so weird a out is because we were completely blindsided by the fact that it was a Glee movie. So just know that there'll be some cringey whatever stuff. And if you weren't a drama kid, I don't think it'll bother you as much.
Speaker 2: I don't think it survived. I think you'll be fine. Yeah.
Speaker 1: But besides that, it's very sweet and I really love the actors in it, and it makes me want to watch Marley Mattlin and more stuff. It makes me want to watch Troy Kotzer and more so. Anyway, and uh, you know it's a movie about uh about workers' rights as well, and they win the side school. So yeah, Leona, what would you rate this movie? It's an interesting one.
Speaker 2: Give Coda four stomped fish out of five. For just the plot line itself, I would give it like a two and a half.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think this is a good way of putting it.
Speaker 2: What the plot was so weird for like, for what it did as a movie and for Hollywood. Yeah, I think it did so true todle forward in an important, like societal way. That's so true. And I think a lot of the performances were very good, and the ending was actually really good. It was just like the first part that was so annoyally weird, and that audition scene was a complete work of fiction. It life And she would never get into the Berkeley School of me totally, not with that behavior. Totally Sienna, how about you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would give Coda. I'm going to give this film three point five full ponytails out of five, which, by the way, she oh yeah wow, her hair was amazing. But uh yeah, I completely agree the ways that it was awesome. It was really awesome. All the main actors were great. Even though I had some gripes about wishing that, you know, she was actually a Coda, she was very good for this role. And the brother and the the parents were just so awesome. There was so much that I enjoyed about. It was very sweet and as long as you know it's.
Speaker 2: Cringe, nor is the worst thing. I'm free exactly being cringe is not the worst thing ever.
Speaker 1: And super sweet. Yeah, and now I've seen Coda.
Speaker 2: That was our review of it. Thank you everyone. We are Tossed Popcorn as always. You can find us on Instagram at toss Popcorn. If you want to hear us talk about the Opposite of Coda aka nos Feratu, you can subscribe to our Patreon to see a video episode about that film, and please join us next week when we will be watching Is it Time, It is Time, It's Time, It's the World's.
Speaker 1: About and it's time for us to watch promising young woman. Whoo yeah, whooooooooo woo.
Speaker 2: Thank you, We love you. Bye.
Speaker 1: You can find us on Instagram as at Sienna Jaco and at Leanna Holsten. Please check the description for the spelling of our dumb names. We put out episodes every Tuesday, so make sure to subscribe so that you don't miss an episode. See you next week on Tossed Popcorn. For more podcasts from my Heart Radio, check the iHeartRadio app Leani. You said, why does she have a Cthulhu stuffed animal? Did she see this?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: I did not.
Speaker 2: I guess cause she's the corner of room is like a Cthulhu ass squid. And then at the end of the movie, when she's moving to college thirty minutes away, uh huh, he brings out Cuthulhu and hands her to her is distracting. It's distracting to put Kuthulhu in the corner of a film.