Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news, and Android auto with the Bloomberg Business App. Listen on demand wherever you get your podcasts, or watch us live on YouTube.
Speaker 2: Flex Deal Paul Sweeney live here in our Bloomberg Director Brokers Studio streaming live on YouTube as well. To check us out there. Hey, let's have some fun, kids, Let's talk tax policy. Gary Wilson, director of Policy analysis at the Tax Foundation. He's zooming in from Fadeville, Arkansas. All right, here's one of my lasting images from the early days of the lockdown in COVID is the people down in the Ozarks on the lakes, partying their brains out, Like none.
Speaker 3: Of this social distancing stuff.
Speaker 2: You can't tell those people not to have a good time in the summer done in the Ozarks. They're out there to have a good time. And that's where our next guest is, Hey, Garrett, talk to us about what's happening down in DC. I mean, it seems like this saw tax thing, which is really important to metro New York. I'm not so sure about Faydeville, Arkansas, but it's really important for us here.
Speaker 3: That seems to be a real sticking point isn't that's right.
Speaker 4: The leadership in the House is trying to get together the final votes and what is a very narrow margin in that chamber amongst Republicans. And the big sticking point right now is the fate of the state local tax deduction. Currently, it's capped at ten thousand dollars. You can write off your state local tax payments against your federal taxes spent that way since twenty eighteen and expires at the end of the year with the rest of the twenty seventeen tax law. But there's been a lot of intense negotiation about where to put that cap, going anywhere from making the current cap, making it permanent, extending it, or making it more generous upwards of we're now hearing a forty thousand dollars cap, maybe putting in income limits. The big sticking point is they haven't come to a compromise design that everyone can agree on that fits with the revenue needs for the rest of the package and the salt folks can live with to deliver to their constituents back at home.
Speaker 5: What do you think realistically winds up getting done? Since everyone loves to also hate cell caps, so at.
Speaker 4: This point it seems like it's just a matter of give and take on the exact numbers here. It seems like there will be definitely an increase in the cap, but a continuation of a cap, be it thirty thousand or forty thousand or something north of there. It does look like leadership wants to have some sort of additional income limit that.
Speaker 3: Would be new.
Speaker 4: So if you are very high earning, say north of five hundred thousand dollars, there may be additional limits that are new there that could also limit the benefit of this expansion. The other thing that's sort of fun under the radar is there is some partial new limits for those folks who are working around the caps using their businesses through pass through firms. That's been a common tactic, and this bill would partially remove that for certain types of business income. So that's another thing for folks to watch out for if they're planning what this might do for their tax bill in the coming years.
Speaker 2: Hey, Garrett, when prisident Trump's on the campaign trailer, who's talking about eliminating or lowering limiting the taxes on tips, for example, overtime, that kind of stuff that works well on a campaign trail.
Speaker 3: Is that something that can get done in this package.
Speaker 4: So there are several sort of I would say trial balloons here that are temporary over the next four years that would deliver on a deduction for tipped income, for overtime income. There's a special four thousand dollars deduction for seniors in here, and even a deduction for a car loan interest for those payments for folks who are itemizing and non itemizing alike, so you don't have to itemize to get it. The big headline there is those are fairly open ended deductions for most taxpayers who are not very high earners, but they do expire at the end of the in the next four years, and so that will line up with potentially another debate about whether or not those are extended. Only to think about that is, well, have to see if they're popular, right, if people find them helpful. There's of course also the revenue costs. They add up to a few hundred billion over ten so they would need to figure out how to extend those moving forward. What that means is there may be another tax fight the end of Trump's term heading out of twenty twenty nine.
Speaker 3: If it goes forward, that.
Speaker 5: As an energy person, I'm obviously really interested in what happens with the tax cuts in the Inflation Reduction Act. What do you think and then the credit phase outs? Basically, do you think that those stick where they are right now or does it get more severe for some of the alternative energy players.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: For the IRA credits, it's really been a balancing act, both at the committee level and amongst leadership, right to try to balance the concerns of members who are more sympathetic to those credits, amongst Republicans who may have a lot of projects in their districts worried about the disruption if they're phased out too aggressively, and other folks who are worried about the fiscal cost of these credits and want to see them phased out in a more aggressive timetable. And so right now we're seeing in the current package a phase out over the next five years through the early twenty thirties for projects that have not been underway at that point, but there's been a negotiation right now to move that up as soon as twenty twenty seven. I think that will be the question is to what extent do folks who are more on the sympathetic side. Are they okay with that right? Will that be too disruptive for projects that are currently being penciled out within their districts? And of course, the other thing looming over the IRA credits. I think that's we're saying is even if it does pass the House, the Senate may have very different ambitions on this. That's sure of the general package, but specifically with the IRA credits, we may see something very different, much less aggressive in there, but that comes with its own trade off in terms of the revenue cost. It will bring in five hundred billion over ten years according to the Joint Committee, and in additional revenue to offset other parts of the tax cuts, so they don't have a lot of wiggle room there. But we'll see if the Senate has different ideas.
Speaker 2: Hey, Garrett, i spent my whole career on Wall Street, so I'm all about making money minimizing taxes. But even I have to admit the favorable tax treatment that carried interest receives is just extraordinary. Can you give us how that came about? And is there any pressure to change that? Because it's kind of tough to see some of these private equity guys, you know, with effective tax rates in the single digits are the low teens, when everybody else is paying forty to fifty percent.
Speaker 4: Yeah, carried interest has come up time and time again in all these major tax battles. Of course, we had a small change on carried interest treatment in twenty seventeen, basically lengthening the amount of time it was required to hold a position to qualify for that carried interest, which is subject to the lower qualified capital Gains and dividends rate upwards of twenty or twenty three point eight percent. And there have been efforts to try to tax that income as ordinary income. Right with that, of course, I think two things. One, it isn't a major revenue raiser either way. So if you were to tax at ordinary rates, it only raises maybe about twenty billion over ten, which is a lot of money, but in the big picture, is not a lot when you're talking about trillions. So the major sort of policy debate is on, as you're hinting at, right, the fairness question of what is the appropriate tax treatment of that type of income.
Speaker 3: On the one hand, if it's just.
Speaker 4: Basically like wages, right, like labor income, that would be an argument in favor of taxing and ordinary rates. Folks who are more defensive of the current treatment would say it's more like capital gains income. It's more like investment income, and we don't want to penalize that kind of investment in the US.
Speaker 3: But the big.
Speaker 4: Trend, as you mentioned earlier, is it's been an uphill battle to make that treatment stick.
Speaker 3: We did see the.
Speaker 4: President express some interest in that change earlier, but that's been dropped out of the package, along with other things like raising the top rate on higher earners.
Speaker 3: These are also issues.
Speaker 4: That could come back back up again in the Senate potentially if they're looking at how to make the revenue numbers work.
Speaker 6: YEP, sounds super easy, not at all complicated.
Speaker 5: Garrett, Thanks a lot, Garrett Watson, Director of Policy Analysts Analysis at the Tax Foundation. We appreciate that in the latest news that it looks like a speaker at Mike Johnson and Security an agreement on a forty thousand dollars assault cap increase. We of course keep you updated on all the latest.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Bloomberg Intelligence Podcast. Catch us live weekdays at ten am Eastern on Applecarclay and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business app Listen on demand wherever you get your podcasts, or watch us live on YouTube.
Speaker 5: Alex Steeler, paulus, when you've done, Tucker.
Speaker 6: This is from BRIC Intelligence Radio.
Speaker 5: Karen Manna is investment director and portfolio manager at feted Hermes, and she joins us, now take us out of the blind spot conversation. So when I'm looking at the thirty year yield five percent, what is the correct term premium premia for the bomb market right now?
Speaker 7: Good morning Alex, Good morning Paul, Thanks for having me on again.
Speaker 3: Isn't that really the.
Speaker 7: Question of this era, the return of term premium and what should what level should we lend out to the US government, particularly in tens and thirties. I think the answer is far higher and steeper than we had grown accustomed to in the decade after the Great Financial Crisis. So setting that level is what the market is attuned to this week as we swing to the ring of teriff, sorry not tariff policy, but move on to extension of current tax policy, and how do we get there and get agreement on that? So same some resistance to directly answer your question around this five ish mark, but do the headlines steer us north of there, it's possible.
Speaker 2: So I mean, is it fair to look at a two year at four percent, at thirty year at five percent? Nice round numbers. One hundred basis points of premium there give us just some historic context.
Speaker 8: Is that a lot?
Speaker 2: Not a lot?
Speaker 7: It's getting steeper, Paul. I typically would look at FED funds to ten in my research in evaluating that, and you would usually see that on average over the period very long period of closer to one hundred and fifty basis points. We've been teetering around that level and pulling back, but one hundred and fifty basis points is about there bed funds to the ten year, so a little bit of room to go perhaps usually that metric, But that's something that we've been talking an awful lot about here at our shop. We do invest, and we have a separate allocation or positioning around that yield curve, and we have re entered a steepener and have been slowly wading into that trade in a diversified way, looking at twos and tens and fives and thirties to try to capture that movement in momentum in the market. Interestingly enough, that steepening had faded around late January and into February, but it seems to be back here with a renewed spirit and perhaps some energy around it. So what we ultimately could see happen is as the economy slows and if the data cooperates again, it's that tension between the hard data published on jobs reports and inflation and all of those sentiment surveys and indicators. They're moving in different directions. One is staying pretty firm or reasonable, while the other shows continued angst. But what we could see ultimately happen the two year goes down, but the ten and the thirty year don't cooperate and they continue to either hold near current levels or actually push up slately higher.
Speaker 5: What should the relationship be between your yield thesis and the equity market?
Speaker 7: Well, that gets tricky too, and not to always talk my fixed income book, but it's who I am, But I think you do start to struggle with financing growth equities as the tenure eclipses four seventy five approaches five, and if there's any sort of attitude or feel that the tenure could stay elevated above that five percent mark, I think you could see equities roll over for that financing cost reason, and then folks take a different look at fixed income more apportion to the income because when you're yield exceeds your duration, you do have some protection from volatile around interest rates. So it's bringing that conversation and fixed income back to the income component, but also recognizing that the tenure is largely the broad strokes base or funding costs for many elements of not just private finance or the public markets that we watch, but also public markets aka ammunis.
Speaker 2: Credit munimunis. Let's talk about the muni market because we do love the meuni market. See no, it's not Friday, we'll talk munis. How do you what's the exposure you want to have in the municipal bond market.
Speaker 7: Well, of course that's up to the individual, their financial advisor, their portfolio needs. But if your need that tax advantage to investing, I would be using it to the full extent that's reasonable within your portfolio construct. Communis here are priced attractively. The credit quality is attractive, its sound, nothing is without its risk, and there are definitely corners of the muni market that are more attractive than others. Active managers have feeled back those exposures. They're always assessing credit risk, They're always looking at valuation within the construct of risk and exposure and managing those and trimming and adding as appropriate. But we're very bullish on the media market right now, particularly you had to trade off because of headline risk surrounding perhaps you know, feeding the budget by eliminating the tax exemption that has faded somewhat but created I think a real buying opportunity.
Speaker 5: All right, Karen, thanks lot, We really appreciate it. Karen mana investment director and portfolio manager at Federated Hermes.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Bloomberg Intelligence podcast. Catch us live weekdays at ten am Eastern on Apple Coarclay, and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business app. Listen on demand wherever you get your podcasts, or watch us live on YouTube.
Speaker 5: So I can't believe what just happened. I know, I'm sitting in the radio studio and in walks and Mike mcgloone, think Miami Mike. Anyway, Miami Mike mcgloone.
Speaker 3: So we to see a.
Speaker 2: Season as he kind of follows like when the snowbirds go home, he feels the need to kind of come back a little bit.
Speaker 3: I think it's just a little bit of that genetics show.
Speaker 6: I see. Are they told him to comfort it?
Speaker 8: Yes? Yeah?
Speaker 5: Or that a junior or Michael McGlone is Boomergan Intelligence Senior commodity strategist. It's so great to see you in person. Bitcoin hitting a round the record. Is Bitcoin moving like gold as like a protection against what we're seeing in the bond market.
Speaker 6: Is that we're seeing right now.
Speaker 9: I think that's part of it. It's this year, it's unique. It's actually following gold because we know gold made a new high a few months ago and bitcoin's catching up today. And all the crypto people say, oh, Bitcoin's going to outperform. But I think the key risk for bitcoin is I like to put him in the same category because they basically are just the ones much more speculative and excessive like bitcoin, and the other one's a store value. But it's set ratio the ounces of gold per one bitcoin about thirty three right now. That's the same as twenty twenty. So this rock is outperforming this hot performing crypto asset, which is I am a bit concerned about.
Speaker 8: The key thing is so I like to point out big.
Speaker 9: Coin will do fine, and it'll do fine versus gold as long as the stock market's going up. And we proved in Q one that if the stock market's going down, bitcoins one of the first things people sell.
Speaker 2: So all right, let's go to gold here, because I'm going to just front run Alex a little bit here. I mean, I don't like what I'm hearing out of Israel, out of a Ran. Potentially there's be some more stuff going on over there.
Speaker 3: Will not higher.
Speaker 9: Yes, Well, here's the problem with oil. Last year's low is sixty five. It's looking up at that level. It's a bear market, yep. And just the latest data from even you know, we have access to supply increasing inventories. The driving season is just getting started. This weekend, you had gasoline demands somewhat declining. The whole picture for crude oil is bad. It needs some kind of supply shock to really get it to go.
Speaker 2: Higher, and a supply shock of the dudes in you know, the basins and the fracking rock.
Speaker 9: Every all over the place. The US has put not a lot of oil exactly. Finally, Paul, you're heading towards the low price cure. We're hearing stories now the declining potential production from the Permian is, which is way you know in alk space. The key thing is it's taking low prices. That's what it ticularly takes, and those the big spike in prices. We got to the peak in two twenty twenty two just brought on that access supply.
Speaker 8: Now we're getting to that scale.
Speaker 9: But typically you have to get below the US cost of production, which is between fifteen and fifty five dollars a barrow to really shut that off in curtail, and that's what we've done for the last twenty years.
Speaker 8: It's around forty dollars of barrow. So I stick with that call.
Speaker 9: And the key thing for crudeil right now is it's the macro increasing demand and excess supply out of the US and decreasing demand from China, and it's the US stock market has to stay point. If we just roll over a little bit, that takes crude oil down the forty bis.
Speaker 5: Which brings me to the question that John Tucker smartly asked with WTI at sixty two. But then the energy stocks getting hammered, and I realized it's just.
Speaker 6: Propose because a lot of that says Phillip sixty six.
Speaker 5: I'm wondering why that discrepancy and if it's if it's just lack of confidence in sixty two.
Speaker 8: Oil, Yeah, I think that's what it is.
Speaker 9: Well, the good news is we're starting to refill the spr strategic Patolarum music.
Speaker 6: So there's some kind of support.
Speaker 8: Yes, in the market that's happen.
Speaker 3: Buy and who do they buy from?
Speaker 9: But that's also a good better question for people digging in the market closer than I do.
Speaker 6: Do youmever whoever they want? I mean, it depends on what they need.
Speaker 3: To fill the US government.
Speaker 2: I call up Exon and say I want to buy some of your oil that's sitting there in the.
Speaker 5: I mean, it just also depends what oil you want. So if you want like heavier oil, which is what a lot of the refiners here use, you can't really call up anyone from the US, You're going to have to call overseas operations. That could still be a chep runner Exxon, but it needs that the oil needs.
Speaker 9: But when you talk about producers, a key thing I look at is the future's curve, and it's very flat. Means that these producers have been selling out on the future's curve. For years it's called normal backwardation, and right now it's flat across the curve around sixty, which is pretty rare. I think they're they're hoping for some kind of reasons, some kind of spike so they can sell forward and add to their production. And right now, just every time we get these little bounces, you see the furve, the curve come back a little bit, you see more selling out in the curve.
Speaker 2: So it's May twenty first you're in Miami. Do you notice people going back north? You can get the reservation. Maybe you couldn't get in the restaurant before.
Speaker 9: Yeah, well it's as soon as the tulips start popping up in New York, they're out of there.
Speaker 8: In Easter weekend, it's a big weekend.
Speaker 2: Is that the one?
Speaker 9: Whit did?
Speaker 8: They come down?
Speaker 9: Typically by November Christmas typically they're coming down.
Speaker 8: Yeah, definitely by December.
Speaker 3: And then it's just madhouse.
Speaker 8: It's madhouse. But I don't really.
Speaker 9: My wife and I never have a problem getting reservations because we go early.
Speaker 8: You know, I usually early there.
Speaker 7: It is.
Speaker 3: I usually in bed by eight or nine because everybody else in Florida go to bed.
Speaker 9: Well, guess when they're down there, they stay late, you know, usually it's a later crowd.
Speaker 2: All right, So the Miami still awesome, right, but it's a power of the tacks.
Speaker 8: You can't stop it. Zero tax, zero tex.
Speaker 3: Is it still considered? Are they still trying to attract.
Speaker 2: Bitcoin and crypto because we've been talking about that as much as we used to crypto in general.
Speaker 9: There is definitely something that that's the key thing we have to open Today bigcoins made a record high. The thing that I've really noticed is that money goes to places where I don't live, right, more than you know, a common commoner.
Speaker 8: Yep. Yeah, But it's just the thing. It's it's a flow from all wealth is coming there. And the key thing here's a quick like I like to end with.
Speaker 9: They say Miami's the money laundering capital of South America?
Speaker 8: Well, what is New York for the whole world?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 5: It hurts Mike Hurts mil in Studio Bloomberg Intelligence of Commodity Strategy Senior Commodity Strategies.
Speaker 1: This is the Bloomberg Intelligence podcast, available on Apple, Spotify, and anywhere else you get your podcasts. Listen live each weekday ten am to noon Eastern on bloomberg dot com, the Iheartrate dio app tune In, and the Bloomberg Business app. You can also watch us live every weekday on YouTube and always on the Bloomberg terminal