Speaker 1: I had a g stranging sounds of a jump rope.
Speaker 2: Let me tell you it was actually breathtaking because when I put it on, it actually took my breath.
Speaker 1: But look I had fun doing it. Man. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: All my life, grinding all my life, sacrifics, hustle, p Price, Want a slice?
Speaker 2: Got the Brodeys Swatt?
Speaker 3: All my life, IOP be grinding all my life, All my life, grinding all my.
Speaker 4: Life, sacrifights, hustle, bat Price, one slice, doctor brother of Geist Swatch.
Speaker 3: All my life, IOP be grinding all my life.
Speaker 5: Hello, Welcome to another additional Club Shahe. I am your host, Shannon Sharp. I'm also the propriet of Club Shashe and the guy that's stopping by today for conversation on the drink is one of my favorites.
Speaker 1: He's a multi dimensional comedian.
Speaker 5: Actor, author, and his bio says he's a Crispy Krean connoisseur. He's the rock stunting double in the businesses for over thirty five years. He's the mayor of Comedy, the legend, the homie from Atlanta. Now, but if you really know, you know you got Cascade Roll, You got College Point, you got East Point, you got Doug and then you got the Swaps. But this man is from none of those. He's from the blook, my homemade, the big homemade.
Speaker 2: What's up.
Speaker 1: How you doing, man, Bet? I'm good.
Speaker 2: How you being?
Speaker 1: I'm gonna be. I feel so sexy today. You feel sexy?
Speaker 2: Oh my god?
Speaker 1: This is so sexy to me?
Speaker 4: What is it?
Speaker 1: La?
Speaker 2: I mean leaving the A coming too, la. That's what makes it cause it feel sexy. Man, you don't like like when I used to strip. Let me tell you something. When I was stripped. The reason I stopped. The church members came down so hard they came on your home. But they was at this show.
Speaker 1: Got whoa, whoa whoa.
Speaker 2: I was getting in too him, Get into him, you get it to it. I had a g straight and signs of a jump rope. Let me tell you it was actually breathtaking because when I put it on, actually took my breath.
Speaker 1: But look I had fun doing it.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying. Man, Man, look here you.
Speaker 5: Like I said, I used to come see you all the time, all the time uptown comedy. You don't have a problem make in fun of yourself when it comes to weight.
Speaker 2: Wow, Man, I just I just can't, man, because and then when I do make fun of myself and I do see a big dude out there, I'm gonna make fun of both of us.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: He don't realize it's really about him, right, but yeah, it's really on him. Right, I'm a big dude. You know, we ain't gonna believe I work out, believe it or not. Man, I don't you know, I don't know what's happening, but I ain't. Nothing happening. But I do work, I gotta train, I do everything. But we have fun. But you just got to be comfortable within yourself and believe in yourself. Because most big people won't even go anywhere because they big.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying. They won't go to church because they'll sit there and look at it on the internet.
Speaker 2: But get out and do something. Don't care about you, get up and walk. I do everything. I got to the age.
Speaker 1: I got grandkids, you know, and I just, man, I just be everywhere with them.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 5: But at one point in time, you were heavier, you lost the weight, and then you you rebound it and got.
Speaker 2: It back some somehow it came back. I don't know way it came from. So so why did you who the wait to start with just just doing See? Can I do it? See if you do? And I'm gonna do it again, I'm gonna do it again. I'm doing it now, man, I am for real. I just got to cut out, you know, the snickers and and the hershes with almonds.
Speaker 1: But other than that.
Speaker 2: But I'm not a.
Speaker 1: Junk eater that much. I love vegetables.
Speaker 2: I tried vegan. It didn't work, man, it's so much sugar and vegan. You be eating that vegan food. Either they eat chicken that it tastes like chicken.
Speaker 1: No, it don't.
Speaker 2: It do not taste like chicken. It tastes like some fruit with some sugar on it, you know what I'm saying. And you done Friday and try to make it look like chicken. So you just got to do the right thing, you know, eat the vegetables. You gotta eat your salads, and then you gotta be careful with salad dressings because most salad dressings is full of sugar. You gotta use the low calorie. I had to learn all that, you know, because the only thing black people is French dressing. That's all.
Speaker 1: We had our French.
Speaker 2: We didn't know that about no blue cheese, that French dress, and it got more sugar. It's like ketchup. They got more sugar in anything. So you have to learn these things as you go along on how the most important thing going to the doctor, and then the doctor will educate you.
Speaker 1: Look, we need to cut this act right because I go. I don't like to go, but I go.
Speaker 2: I do. I don't like to go, but I go.
Speaker 1: So you go to the doctor and the doctor says, Bruce, you're love to have your side.
Speaker 2: We need you to lose fifty We need you to lose one hundred pounds over say the next year and a half.
Speaker 3: I do it.
Speaker 2: I do it.
Speaker 1: And I got a female done. And she don't play no games. She don't play no game.
Speaker 2: But it seems like she want to check me every time I go in for this prostact thing. You know, look, man, god, I got a problem with that finger. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: And you know, and we don't the way she do it.
Speaker 2: We ain't.
Speaker 1: She ain't asked me how to eat or nothing. She just you don't go in it. And it's y'all.
Speaker 2: Oh, yeah, yeah, that feel good. Twist her hand ground. I said, wait a minute, if if you put both hands on my shoulder, it's gonna be a problem in it.
Speaker 1: You understand, let me say that it's gonna be a problem in this room.
Speaker 2: I said, But but she said, I feel good, and she told me what it was because I asked questions and she said, I be feeling for lung pol ups and she says smooth, and I like when it's smooth. I said, okay, long, I said, cause I thought it was something you back to Holland, Oh yeah, this feel good. I say, this don't feel good to me. Now. It's this pressure. And they put so much jail right, Oh my god. I get to the counter. Man, Look I'm loosening. I can't even stand straight. Come, my butt's so loose. They think I'm up there to counter hunching the people sitting in, you know, waiting to see what you do. I'm not hunting. I'm trying to move that jail from back. And I thought I hadn't got it all out, you know. Then I get in the car and I just slide down to seat. Man, so much jail, but it's important to go, you know, I didn't like to go on and I tell every man, Now you know, I'm sixty years old, right, you know what I'm saying. And you got to going it's changing your body. How long did it take you to get comfortable with being this? Have you always? I didn't even realize it, you know, like I was so active and I'm still so active now. I didn't realize I got big into one. My daughter said, Daddy, she seen the picture, say who's that leaning on the back of your car?
Speaker 1: And the picture I was leaning.
Speaker 2: I said, that's me. And I didn't realize how that big? You know, you know what I'm saying, and she it kind of brought something to my attention, and that's what made me just start watching on everything that I do. Man. You know, but I'm good. You You're healthy. You feel good? Yeah? Healthy feel Were you a big kid? No, not at all. Used to call me little Bruce, Little Bruce Man. I used to mess with everybody. See when I was a kid.
Speaker 1: See, kids don't know how to have fun.
Speaker 2: Of mine. I had fun, right, you know, I was ten years old, eleven years old, A little bitty dude. Dudes be on the corner trying to see you know, anywhere you go somebody who I used to run between them and slap off for them. You know what I'm saying. She got because I want them to run at me, right, you know what I'm saying. And they beat me up, but I didn't care. They didn't beat me up to hurt me. They just beat me up. But I didn't care because they knew it. They said, oh, he come, Bruce, we know something that right. And as a kid I was just looking at when I graduated high school, I was gorgeous, dropped the head, gorgeos dropped head. Yes, sir, Yeah, you knew you're gonna be a movie. Oh my god.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: I didn't know what I was gonna do. I knew I had to help my mother.
Speaker 1: And I was my mother.
Speaker 2: I was the only child she ever had, and we just I'm not gonna tell you it was homeless. We wasn't homeless. I'm not gonna tell this. Everybody tell the story I was when.
Speaker 1: We went home.
Speaker 2: We just lived in the hood, didn't have nothing, and we just had to make do. So only thing when I got out of high school, I had to make sure we was okay. You know what I'm saying, and I knew my mother was going through something. She didn't tell me. But when she sit up in that apartment and just sit down all day, all day, she was going through something, you know. But I understood that and I just helped my mother and then God just made away.
Speaker 1: When you were growing up, what did you want to be? Did you play sport?
Speaker 2: I mean every day I did everything, play sports. I joned everything I did. I joned everybody everything, and were on the football field. I'm joning somebody the basketball field. I'm joning somebody.
Speaker 1: I got beat up. I had a girl beat me down.
Speaker 2: I didn't I did a girl beat you because I told her she had a ponytail about that and look look and they had a rubber band around. So I walked behind and say, how did they do that? She didn't do what I said, make that little oxtail right now, girl, I'm gonna kick your tail. And man, I said, you ain't gonna do that. Man, that girl beat me now. I was laughing, but I didn't care. And then she made me her boy She said, you're gonna beat my boyfriend. So I had to be her boyfriend and carry her books every day. After she don't beat you that she don't beat me now, I mean she put them hands only too, right, But I didn't care. Right.
Speaker 1: So you played sports, were you?
Speaker 2: So?
Speaker 5: You said you joned everybody? So you always were funny always? Is that how you made friends?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I was always fun I had an uncle man. Okay, my uncle was a He was a baker. He taught me how to cook years ago. He was about five two five one by this wife like humplety dump. He said, teach something gonna stick with you for the rest of your life. He was the funniest man of a man in my life. He was so funny. And he make wedding cakes for people. And people come over and say, we want to get married and everything. They pick out a wedding cake and then he look at him, say, why the hell y'all want to get married? Right? You look like he trying to talk about it. But he was joking. But at the same time he was serious. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: And he said, well, I'm gonna make this cake for you.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: He was the baddest dude. He used to go by the name of the Sweet bread Man, and he was a bad dude. Man and he was just the funniest dude I ever know. And that's who I kind of mimic after my uncle because he raised me. My dad left when I was five, and my uncle said, you ain't got to worry about your dad. You got our uncle, right, And I never thought about my dad, you know what I'm saying. Did you ever reconnect with you? When I was forty? I found him when I was forty. Was he in He was in a he was in there, he was I knew he was extra military. He was in the Air Force and he was a medic. And then but I found he was an NC geologist, he was a doctor, and we we connect and he was on the defense. You know when I met him, he was on the defense. I met him down the Gladys Chicken and Wall and you remember that. And he looked like he was just ready for me whatever I want to throw at him.
Speaker 1: He was ready. I said, man, how you doing good to see her? Just did he know who you were?
Speaker 2: He knew exactly who I was, And I said, I just want to see I said, I got three kids, you got three grand kids. So I came at him in a way. Yeah, he thought the situation man, yeah, and then I can see him just getting relieve. He just he said, Man, I'm so proud of y'all. Don't know what to right, man, I said, I just wanted to see you. Man, I just wanted to see didn't want nothing, you know what I'm saying. And he was cool and I stayed in touch with him till he paid. He passed away about maybe see my mother's been paying dead thirteen hundred and dead about seventeen years.
Speaker 1: And I connected with him and we was cool.
Speaker 5: The NFL season is going strong and Draft Kings Sports Book is hooking new customers up with an offer that's even stronger. Bet five bucks on any game this week to score two hundred dollars instantly in bonus Best, and Draft Kings isn't stopping there. All customers can take advantage of a sweetener offer every game day this October. Get in on game day greatness. Download the Draft Kings Sports Book app now and use Cold Shannon. New customers can score two hundred dollars instantly in bonus best when you bet five on the NFL. That's Cold Shannon only on Draft Kings Sportsbook, an official sports betting partner of the NFL.
Speaker 2: The Crown is yours.
Speaker 5: High school? You Jon, and you play sports. When did you realize that comedy was gonna be your ticket out?
Speaker 2: Let me tell you this.
Speaker 1: I got a job.
Speaker 2: He used to always be in restaurant and I was a young manager man. I was eighteen years old. We're not surprised by that. Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. I was a bad dude. And I can cook like you.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I could throw down what yes, son? Not only can I eat, I can cook it. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: What I was eighteen, I hired this guy. Okay, I'll never forget this. That's why I'd be telling people. When you believe in God, God will put people in place for you.
Speaker 1: I hired this guy.
Speaker 2: And older guy he said he used to work for the company years ago. It was a barbecue restaurant. So I'm in the kitchen clown and I'm in there with the dishwaser on clown. I'm gonna manager the youngest man. He kept staring at me. You have to look at me all the time. And I said, what's wrong? He said, you need to go on stage like that. I like go say, he said, I'm telling you so he said im gonna bring you something tomorrow. He brought me an album and it was him. He was a commedie what and he was a community with another guy. He went by Reverend Mule, and the other guy went by Doctor Arrowhead, and it was called Reverend Mule and Doctor Arrowhead and the name of the animals called so you want to know baseball? And you standing there with a tree in his hand like a baseball bat right, and Aaronhead was in the catcher's position, and he said, I'm telling you he was ex Navy. He said, don't waste your life. He said you can get away from me, and he said you need to go on stage. And that's when I knew it was time for me to make me. And he wrote my first set for me. Really, he wrote my first set. And his name was Revermue, but his real name was Willie Dismute. And I'm talking about to extremely frond it. He said, don't stay around his restaurant. He's gonna say. He said, you're gonna be owning off a planes. I can see it already, and and my life is here. So you were you nervous? Of course I'm nervous now. Really, Oh, I'm never gonna go on now. But once I hit that stage something happened. Oh my god.
Speaker 1: Some I'm just clicking my mind.
Speaker 2: I just enjoy performing in front of people and make and people that some people, a lot of people you're not going to please, especially when you change your style a little bit. You change the style when people get mad. Lady got mad at me and fort out of there a couple of weeks ago, and I but I did. We reached out and I apologize. I said, I'm sorry, but it is what it is, right, you know, So I'm sorry. But she was fine.
Speaker 1: She just I think she just wanted me to give us some.
Speaker 5: So where was the first one? What was it like when you got up there for the very first time? You say you're nervous?
Speaker 2: Did you like? Man?
Speaker 1: I sure hope they don't, do I hope they like? Oh yeah, oh yeah, you go through that.
Speaker 2: Man. When I first started going on stage, I was going to a comedy club in Atlantic call the Comedy act Theater. It was on p Street and eighth that condos are now, and it was they had this host that he never ever liked me. You know, he looked at me when he first saw me.
Speaker 1: He just didn't like.
Speaker 2: He never would put me up. We had to come in and you signed the list one through ten. You do five minutes each and then the feature come up, then the headliner right, and they'll be like, hey, we'll be here all week. So I signed number four. You skip over me every every week. This went on for like six months. He skipped over me. I went to him and say, hey, man, I come here every week and signing this, why don't you put me up? Now? I'm working a job. I'm working at Freedom a potato chip driving the truck down there. Then s bowl to drive the truck down there. I got the truck parked out of the front of the cover club because from a car broke right and Doun carry said, I don't know who's driving that potato chip truck and death they gonna find your ass, you know, oh DC.
Speaker 1: And this dude never would put me up.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 1: I went to him like a man.
Speaker 2: I said, you never put me up? What's wrong? Man? Yeah? Man, what's up? And everybody come in. He just brushed me off. He said, look, am, I gonna have to go to the man on you because I'm coming to you as a man. So what he did. He waited till they put the ten comedians up. Then the featured in the headliner to feature. The headliner did about five minutes each. Then everybody got ready to go. He say, hey, we got this fat dude coming up here.
Speaker 1: Come on, broke god.
Speaker 2: I said, wait a minute. Say he got a hundred buns in his pocket, all killing me. When I came in and stated, he killing me right, And so I go, I say, I walked to said, I said, everybody, don't leave it only it's like four hundred people there. They came back and said that. And he used to go by this name of the Chocolate Hippie, and and uh, I say, man, because nobody would never jone him back. I always joned it back. But I challenged. I came, I said, man, you know you go by the chocolate Hippie. I said, I'm looking at you. I'm from this bluff right here on bank here, you like a chocolate sister to me, like whoa? Because nobody had never challenged him. And I got on and so I went on stage, and this dude came up and said, Hey, look at this fat dude here in the front row. And I said, man, is that shirt silk use you ironed it too much. That was a joke, and theverybody like, oh, this dude is funny. So then I went into the truck drive. I do a truck driver. I can't read. I used to do church jokes about preachers. You know thist's first, Like I told you the comedian that wrote for me here, he wrote a joke about a pigeon, a midget up under the pool, pigure reading for the preacher, right, and the preacher couldn't read, so the midget would read for him. And I did that joke and I ripped it from there on, and man, it was, it was. It was really good. And then he come. When I get I'll say he gonna come back. He had, Man, I'm gonna tell you, man, you're really funny.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 2: I said, look, man, let's cut something up. I said, let's cut some up. I said, you don't like me, and I don't like you. I said, the only thing I want you to disrespect me when I come and signed it, just put me up right. It's just that I ain't got to be your friend, but I just want to go up. But I could have easily walked away. Shatnon I could have eased one and say, you know what, forget this. I ain't gonna be no comedian. But I had that tone of vision. Man, I said, I'm gonna do this right. And I knew it was for me when I went on stage that first time, I knew that's why I should have been in my whole entire life. So when you, how were you when you? Oh my gosh was I? I think I was married to my first wife.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: She was putting me through. She said you never make it. Huh, she said you're She doubted you. Yeah, she said you number. I said, again, I see you on TV. I said, if you ever see me waving, I'm waving at you, right. But you can't let people dictate your life. You can't. You ain't got to accept what people tell you, right, you know what I'm saying, I'm right. So I went up and uh, but when I was going up, she came down to see me. One time. People laughing at you. They laughing at you because you fed. I said, no, they're not. They laughing at my jokes. You know what I'm saying. But it didn't work out with us, and it's good. We got three kids. They're very grown now, very grown kids. I love them, and I had to move on.
Speaker 1: What was it like when you got that very first laugh you're on stage? Is that is that the drug? Is that the high that you changed from that moment on?
Speaker 2: Sir?
Speaker 1: That was the hot man?
Speaker 2: I mean? And I thought about it all night, you know, when you get that first laugh, And I got home like, oh my god, oh my god, it was so good. So when I started doing I started taping myself. Brought a little tape recorded radio check, didn't have no money, and just start listening to it. I'm driving the Freedo lay truck and I'm critiquing myself and I'm listening to what people laugh at in the hardest. So I know how to go with the truck and take my voice upright right right, and.
Speaker 1: I look at and listen to it. And so I used to let this lady at a convenience to listen to. Her name was Carol.
Speaker 2: She's up north. She said you're funny, and she was a white lady and she said you're very funny. And she said, I like the joke about such ship, but do this. Do that. She was helping me, and every time I go down on stage every week. Everybody said, man, what you got a joke machine at home? I said, no, man, I'm just reviewing everything I do to try to make it better, right and better, you know, And it's worked out, man, And things just started happening. Things just started happening, man, and it's been really good for me.
Speaker 5: So cadence is to set off the cadence in which you get ready to deliver. You raise your voice, melt, and then you fail, kill them and see people got down on stage. You deliver in your character, and it's just how you deliver a joke.
Speaker 2: I can tell a joke right here, and I can say, like, man, you need your ass kick people are having I said, but if you get you need your ass get.
Speaker 1: So if I put that emphasis on it, people, oh my god.
Speaker 2: You know. So you just got to know when to use it and how to use it. In order to learn that, you got to be on stage. You got to be on stage to listen to the crowd. Because most people, most COMMUNI is go by how many women in that, and women incause they want to do their best. You know, having sex with a girl, joke.
Speaker 1: Something like that.
Speaker 2: It don't matter if it's funny, it's funny, right, People gonna laugh no matter how you look. You could be the otherest do in the world. If you funny, people are gonna laugh. So, growing up in the neighborhood, you're like, Okay, I want to do something. I want to help my mom. Did you know what you wanted to do to help your mom? You just knew you wanted to do something. Yeah. I knew I had to do something man to help her. And one thing, I just did the very best I could. And I wanted to quit my job. Work at their freedom lady. You know, you know you sell a bag and eat three bags and everybody man. Because black people are so stuck on a good job, right, yeah, Oh my god, you got a good job while you want to leave it. And I quit that good job.
Speaker 1: Good job.
Speaker 2: My aunt took it to the Lord and prays Lord Jesus, he get ready to quit that good job, I said in the morning. In the but my mother says something to me that made so much sense. She said, if you quit your job, you can always get another job. Right.
Speaker 1: I didn't think go like that. She said, You're not no dummy.
Speaker 2: And when I quit, I tell you when I quit, man, and I took a thirty day leaving Asser. I had to use a strategy right because I just couldn't quit. I say, I'm telling I got to approved of my thirty day leaving Abser. And I was transferring my truck to my supervisor and he said, Man, let me ask you coming back. I said, I want you look at me real good. I said, next time you see me, I'll be on TV. I said, no, I'm not coming back right. And I had twenty dollars in my pocket and I had thirty dollars in the credit union. I told my budd, I said, come get me, stop me by the bank machine. I'm gonna get you twenty dollars out. And you just dropped me off. He said, okay, we go by the bank machine. I get the twenty dollars out. I gave him the twine. A beeper went off back then to young kid. My beeple went off. Dude called me and said, Man, where you working at this week? So I'm working for you. I ain't never looked back. Wow, I ain't never looked back. It's been great for me, man, and I have helped so many comedians.
Speaker 5: When you writing, Bruce, when you're writing a set, how do you go about sitting down and like, Okay, whether you got thirty minutes forty five minutes. Normally you headline a lot, so you're probably gonna do somewhere between thirty and forty five minutes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, how do you go about sitting down writing that set? Actually, I don't do it. I just restyle it. I go on stage and do it.
Speaker 2: See. All the person I know can really sit down and write is done. DC Curry one of the best writers I've ever met and been friends with for the last thirty five forty years. He can sit down and write it, man. But me, I go on stage and I just work it out. Really, yeah, I just go work it out. I think of something in my head, but then I go on stage and just work it out.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: Like like I was telling my sister in law another day, how I had to use the bathroom right, you know, I had took a laxitive and then I went and got me a smoothie with Alma milk in it, and Alma milk make you go player, you know what I'm saying. And I'm getting close to the house and I couldn't. Hey, I couldn't hold it. I'm I'm breathing like I'm pregnant. I'm trying to keep it together. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: When I get to the house, she got dom clue.
Speaker 2: You know, we hear it.
Speaker 1: Good glue, glue.
Speaker 2: They were laughing and then you got that. Look that's all you got, you person, good good glue. I'm holding on to the walls and everything. Then that's all it coming. So like that, I can, I can milk it. I can make a joke because it's fun. It's real life, right, So is that?
Speaker 4: What is that?
Speaker 5: What comedians do? They take real life situations and make them funny. But the thing is, but Bruce, I'm listening at you and you say, well, I don't write anything down. I just like you memorize things that have happened to you, maybe that day, maybe that week, maybe that month, and you go up and you just like, okay.
Speaker 2: Here I go do it. Man.
Speaker 1: It's either gonna work or it's not. But you can make it work.
Speaker 2: Now. What I do? I kind of I forget stuff sometimes so I record it on my phone. Racist dude in Rath grocery store. And when I say that, and I hear it, I know where to go with it, you know, because you know in the South, you know you're from the South.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm talking.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of racism, and racism is stupid, you know. I remember I went to buy a bus one time. Look at the bus. My white guys, well, you know, I don't have the key to the bus. I said, what your calls helm you this is your lot. He did not want to show it to it, you know what I'm saying. But right then I knew, you know, we need to go on the exit and go some one. I'm not gonna argue with this dude because he's stupid. You know what I'm saying. Racism is nothing that's in you. It's something that's taught to you. You and it's nothing like when I was in restaurant years ago, just real quick, I had a manager named Jared Fowler. He had had like the old Ridge balls, Jeorde ash members on the jacket, cowboy boots. You know that he had a little son, him and my son was the same age. And he was a white guy. And his son and my son got along so well, right, and they didn't see color. They saw two friends. So his son get home one night and say, Daddy, can ask you something. He said, Antoine, Antoine is my son. He says, that my cousin. Because he didn't know, right, but he knew they got along. He said, No, that's not your cousin, that your soul brother.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: And because we need to Twitt quit teaching our kids this racism, because when they grow up, they learn the truth, right, you know what I'm saying. That's why you can get a white ben and a black baby right now. Put them in the room there, play all day, thank they cousins until the ret they coming up. Get that baby out of here. Don't you bring them in here?
Speaker 1: No more than I mean that, Like where y'all taking my cousin?
Speaker 2: So people are people, you just got people got to understand it's bad and good in every race of people.
Speaker 5: So where are you on them? Because a lot there have been a lot about jokes stealing. Oh my god, I see it all the time.
Speaker 2: If I if somebody steal someone's joke and I see them, I know who they got it from. That's that's how long I've been in the business. That's how I Sometimes I have to remind comedians of their jokes. They ain't did it a long time, like Arnie's Jay Funny jump Around. I said, you don't do that joke by saying he said, man, I forgot about that joke like that. I said, start back doing it. It's funny, right, you know.
Speaker 1: What I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Because he used to do a joke about somebody smelling real bad, right you know, and like, damn, what the fuck you didn't watch your hand, you know what I'm saying. And then he saw and uh, he went and did it. He did all racist people. He did like a red nag, then he did a Spanish dude. Then he did an African dude, and he said, it's it you, but it's just me, you know, because right he didn't know what you wanted him to stay and he brought that back. And it's funny because a lot of comedians they get they get tired of the joke, but everybody hadn't sold the joke, right, you know what I mean, So they just need to keep doing it.
Speaker 5: And what about now, though, Bruce, you used to tell a joke and you could tell that joke down there for a year, yes, because there was no social media, and they only saw you when you came to that town. So now with social media, you basically gotta puitch flip that joke weekly because everybody is take they take your said when you come there, and the internet is gonna pick up everything.
Speaker 1: So you know that joke last week, get a new joke, and it's crazy.
Speaker 2: It could be that one person Ye just say I heard that before and it's not the same joke, It's just something that was similar to it, right, and they be like, yeah, he did say that before. They just jump on the ran way, right. But the thing with social medias with these new comedians, what I want to encourage them to do. I know you funny on the internet and everything, but have more than you see on social media. Have more than that five minutes, right, because when people come out and see you, they want to see thirty five forty minutes, and a lot of comedians they can do thirty five to forty minutes, But are you funny that whole entire time? Right?
Speaker 1: You see what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: So a lot of them have got on them, like like Country Wayne, he started out and he's doing very well, right, and this show is very good, and I'm proud of it.
Speaker 1: But a lot of them just got that ten minutes right. And that's that when you come out and seeing you like, is it on social media?
Speaker 2: Way a minute?
Speaker 4: What?
Speaker 1: But we spend money for.
Speaker 2: This, right, you know, so we just got to keep creating. You know, your dude is watching new I knew. I know, comedian, he'll read the paper before you do the show. Here, read the paper and just do everything. He just reading paper every time. That's how great he was, you know. And I worked with some of the greats, with the Ray Moore, you know, and a lot of young people don't know abody that you know, Bernie Mackett, Bernie oh my god. Ronaldo Ray, who was my mentor on BT Comedy, help me do a lot.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: I do a joke. Ronaldo said, look when you go ahead there, he said, turn your body to the right a little bit. He said, look that way and tell the joke. And I swear it worked every time, every time. That's how great he was. And so it's good to experience his experience. Ronaldo Ray and John Willerspoon grabbed me up under their wing and he took me because they saw something in me. And that's what I do I you know, I get comedians and keep him encouraged. Because we people got to understand, especially to parents. You all have got to saying certain things to your kids because you you're questioning their dreams. You know, you qustion that spirit. Like said, it's gonna be a doctor, but it's gonna be a lawyer. I knew I wasn't gonna be no doctor. Damn well, I'm gonna be no lawyer.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: My huncle said he gonna be a damn food right. My uncle was my partner, but he knew.
Speaker 1: But I knew that.
Speaker 2: But quit telling these kids what they can't do.
Speaker 5: That's what they want you to be. You know, somebody tell you you can be that that's what That's not what I want to be. That's what you want me to be. Right, When did your big break come? I don't even think I got it yet.
Speaker 2: Man, Like they say you have fifteen minutes of fame, I still think I got two momnutes I got too. I said, I have so much fun just making people and selling shots out. It's just the best thing ever happened in the world to me. I can remember when I was working for Fredo lay and I looked at the magazine. I saw Bernie Mack, and Bernie Mack was he had on a pink suit with black and and with sharp I said, oh my god, I want to be just like that, dude, you know, I want to be like Bernie. He was selling shows and I had saw him in person and he was he was doing very well. And you know, they didn't say at the time he was getting like ten grand or show him like ten grand, brother, give you ten grand to stand on stage and damn Joe, right, and I'm like, this is unbelievable, but it's here, right, it's here.
Speaker 5: You uh, the audition of Death Comedy Jam showtime at Apollo. So what was the auditions like on that? Because you know, if you knock it out the park here.
Speaker 2: Oh you know, Depth Jam, you was smooth sailing you you you rip it on Depth Jam. You're you in the air man, right, And I was so scared, Oh my god, I was scared.
Speaker 1: Why we so nervous because you had already done you. Let me tell you why, Shannon.
Speaker 2: You know, like we Southern boys, alright, but when you get up north to New York, first thing like this country mother, but they say that you know this country, and I like, I say, lookait man, I ain't got I'm country, but let me do my thing. I know what I'll never forget when I did the Apollo and Steve Harvor was hosting, right, and I walked out and Steve so i'mna let y'all know. Now, y'all better put your seatbelts on with this guy right here, because I'm letting you know, he gonna let you have it. And I was known for like messing with the crowd. And I came out there and all this he said, Now all this country, mother, I want that I killed him. I mean after I rubbed that log, when I rubbed that log, when I came up yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. Steve came up out he uh huh uh huney y'all wasn't ready for him, right, But they gave me the respect I had to earn it, right. But they automatically gave people from up north love well if you say Birmingham and Lanta, Florida, Tennessey, Oh, this country money and they got to understand it's not like that in the South. We still living in Red Clay Mudge. You come down, We're not doing the people living in mansions in the South. But you know what, Bruce, you wanted a few comedians. You chop it up with, you chop it up with with the audience.
Speaker 1: You get on them. I have to man here with you.
Speaker 2: That's to leave him now expecting because the one one lady got mad at me. I was in Greenville, South Carolina, forget this, and she kept talking out loud. And the way this.
Speaker 1: Stage was I was on the stage.
Speaker 2: Stage was an oval shape, right, and it was seats all the way around the stage, and then it was the tables and stuff. But she kept talking out loud, so.
Speaker 1: You can hear a while you stay.
Speaker 2: And so I ignored. I'm doing my jokes and I said, can, I say, can you hold it down? I said, I'll be up shortly. I said, how did you learn how to whisper in the helicopter? She like my husband talking to me like that, and she said something she said, I called her a bitch, and I didn't because I don't do that to women, right, I never and I never used the N word.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying. And uh, I say, I call you bitch.
Speaker 2: I said, If I did, I'm sorry, I said, but let me be the first to shake your hand to call you bitch, and I made it.
Speaker 1: I flipped it on her, but she kept talking. I kind of gave my cruel seat.
Speaker 2: I said, get out of here because she just kept talking and I had to just get out of that. But like I apologized to I said, I'm gonna give your money back and everything, but this time I want you do don't ever come to a show again if you're gonna do all that loud talking in front of because it's disrespectful, right, you know.
Speaker 1: But it's good man.
Speaker 2: I have fun. But so where are you now?
Speaker 5: Are you afraid after what transpired a couple of years ago at the Obscuits? Are you afraid about people running up on stage if you work to say something, take you something that's channing.
Speaker 2: Come on now, I'm gonna do you like you didn't come on, come on now, channing, come on, come on, come on that. It wouldn't have happened to him, brother Will Smith would have never ran up on trick Daddy like that.
Speaker 1: If trick Daddy was saying the same thing, said the same, he didn't. He hesitated.
Speaker 2: So you you don't run up on no food trick Daddy on the chair. He could have ran up on me or you like that now.
Speaker 1: And Chris Rock is my boy.
Speaker 2: I love him with Chris book thirty, Yeah, I know nine many about thirty when you put your clothes on, you know what I'm saying. But he took it and he kept it professional, right, But I bet something in his mind was like you lost your in mind, right, you know what I'm saying. And Will, when Will slapped it, he went across. He didn't go like it was from the shoulders all the way to the floor.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And he wouldn't have did that to me because it had been a fighting that I'm gonna tell you how to put him in a to put him in a sleephole. And if I got that second win, he'd went out. You can't do a man like They could have handled that in a better way, I believe it. And actually I thought Will was coming up to joke with him the way it looked. It looked like he was gonna come up with joke with him, because and then because Chris said, here come.
Speaker 1: Richard like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, he thought he was joking, right, and we'll po copt him, right, you know what I'm saying. And he apologized later. But and I never met Will, don't get me wrong. And only thing I've heard about Will was great things. I've heard great things about it. But when I saw that, whooo, even the white people are like, oh no, we don't do that at the Oska. You know what I'm saying. And you lost a lot of money behind it. Of course he lost a lot of right behind it. But I had to come back that suit player, you know, if I had took seat on.
Speaker 5: So you don't worry about it. So you don't worry about it anymore, because, like I said, you do chop it up with the crowd. You would get on what people wearing, what their hair looked like, what the shoes looked like. So you don't worry about that. No, not at all, not at all bad. See there's comic view. Yeah you know I was the host coming year.
Speaker 1: But see what is that way you say? That's what really put.
Speaker 2: Bruce Bruce into the statis comic grew broke the ice for me. And then the thing was, I was I supposed to got it years before. See I say this all the time. Everything is done in divine order. I was supposed to did it like seven years before. I didn't get it. I was upset about it, but I say, you know what, I'm gonna keep it moving. The year that I got it was the best year. It was the best ratings. I made more money than anybody on that show. They gave me money for my clothes to be made, which they have never did right, And it was the best year. And then Ronaldo Ray was was like the best coach I ever had in my life too, to guide me and do a lot of things.
Speaker 1: And it broke the ice.
Speaker 2: And I know for after I did that, for the next ten years, I was doing nothing but sellouts from Comic View. And then the next year they came back with the Colliente and I was the party guard in New Orleans and with Colliente and it wasn't going so well, and they called me back to do it again. And I did that, and I say, where's Renaldo Ray And they say, you want him? I said yes, And the next day he was getting out the car he said, I appreciate you bringing me back. And it did well, and then I did BT coming to the stage when I hosted that when the new comedian was being introduced and I host that show. They did well, so bt was. I got to give them thumbs up even for my career, even if they never do nothing with me ever. Again, I give them my aid because they put me on the mapp.
Speaker 5: Do you think something like that would would rate again? Could they do something like a deaf comedy jam with comic view? Absolutely absolutely, and I think it'll work too.
Speaker 1: I think of the word. But the comedians gonna have to bring their a game, right.
Speaker 2: They can't. They can't do all this crazy. See, comedians do a lot of things now that you have to see. Back in the day when we was coming up, we listened, right. We used to listen to che We listened to Bill Colls. We listened to Red Fox Kids and I'm in the hood. Kids thought I was crazy because I used to listen to Milton Borough because I Milton was quick, he was witty, and he'll sit there like he'll just laugh and laugh and on the road store. Then when it's time for him the roads, right, he will bring the noise. Is it?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 2: You look at a lot of comedians now, a lot of they're are skit based. Yeah, yeah, you the old comedian. You guys don't really do skits now, you just you just you just bring it.
Speaker 1: From from the top.
Speaker 2: We're gonna make it funny, man, just like I do a joke about when they give away food at them all on two pic. Yeah, right, and I keep walking past the lady. You know I did it, walk past about twelve times. She said him.
Speaker 1: You been here as the lady.
Speaker 2: Shut up? The food is free, right, you know, you giving the food the wave doesn't matter who gets it right. But people couldn't relate to that because they know every time you and them all they got the little bourbon chicken up right. And I just walked by and then came to making a different face like I'm somebody else, making a different face like somebody else. They said, you've been here, don't worry about it. It's fool's free. So that's kind of stuff. I like you mentioned Steve when you went to the Apollo and he was the host.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and Steve, I've talked have a lot of comedians on and everybody speak of this man in glowing terms of how he's helped them. Quake talked about how he said, look Quake on the Comedy Club. He had Steve Harvey and blah blah blah, and the ticket sales wasn't what they're supposed to be, he said. Steve told him to give everybody their money back. Just what we're gonna do in the morning. So they read on the radio show the next morning, brought everybody donuts and coffee, and they promoted the show.
Speaker 1: Uh said.
Speaker 5: The entertainer told us, Hey, Steve got me on TV. Says, I want this guy right here. He's a buddy of mine. Did Steve partake any wisdom?
Speaker 2: What is what Steve? Sir? Yes, sir, let me tell you. And Steve was straight up. I mean it wasn't. It was straight no chase, and I never forget. I went to the pollo and Steve said, this is an I want you to do. He said, when people come out and see you give him something back. And he said, I want you to start dressing and suits. He said, you're a big dude. He said, you look good in suits. And I had on Sean John sweatshirt. Yeah, he said, man, that stuff right. The good When you're traveling, he said, you getting on the plane, you go into those seats. You can be comfortable, he said, But on stage, he said, no, that's why I started wearing suits. And he took me up in his dress room. He showed me the suits he had, he gave us he had on the floor. I said, well, I guess I can, and I I was. I was like, I ain't gonna wear no suits on stage, you know what I'm saying. And he said, just do it now. I kept listening to him, listen to him, and I did it, and it just changed my whole life. And he and he always gave you a wisdom on how you should do, how you should dress, how you should handle yourself in public. And Steve always kept good dudes around him, you know what I'm saying. Like he got a body guy named Boomer has been with him for years and years and year, and Boom like, hey man, just listen to what he got to say and everything you go, I'm gonna do it. And when I did it, it just changed my whole life. Right, So I got to get big up to Steve man. You know, I call him on Steve and he knows what he's talking about. And it's proven facts now, because Steve can really do more than that on family few but he can't do that much because some stay his face will tell you everything you don't want to say, you know what I'm saying, because people say.
Speaker 1: Some stupid stuff on the YouTube.
Speaker 2: He was like, what did he just say?
Speaker 1: But family few and have not been the same since Steve started hosting that. When you got your your first big money, what did you splurriage on?
Speaker 2: You know, like call Shannon right, you know what I'm saying. And I love Buick's, Okay, I collect old you. I got collection of Buick. I got a bunch of cars, okay. And I got Grandnational Yeah yeah I had, I got it. But I got a sixty three River color Store. I got a sixty nine River, I got a seventy River. I got a six seventy wild Cat convertible. I got a six eight skylout Come brother, I got a six eight sky out hard top. I gotta do in a quarter six do something you can't drive? You crack it up, you out of your appeltaty deduce in the quarter the seat so being like you're sitting on the sofa. Yeah that too old. The don't know about that. Lets you two twenty five? Oh they gotta do to the call. Yeahducing, My granddaddy said, douce in one call. You know what I'm saying, but I got these calls are fully restored, right, and I keep him and people don't even know I have them. But it's for my pledge, right, you know what I'm saying. And is that something that you always wanted?
Speaker 1: Always wanted?
Speaker 2: My grandad used toll me to look at brother, you get your cut, get your building, Yeah, get your an old player. My granddad was black, like the ace of Spade would raw your blue eyes, you know what I'm saying. And we didn't know he was a player until he died, because it's by twenty chilling shoulder. My grandmother sitting there with that purse, you know, not they had that purse, right, yeah, yeah, that's clothing closed in the middle.
Speaker 1: You all remember that. Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah yeah. But he you know, he was a player. He about six five, good looking Joe's but he was. He was my man.
Speaker 2: Though.
Speaker 5: How competitive is the community of the comedy business?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 2: Are there any backstabbing going on? Not that I know of, because I don't participate, Right, I come in and I do a job. And are you friends with any of them?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, friends with all of them. I'm friends with everybody. Everybody used to always try to say, me and Lavell Crawford had beef. We never had beef, right, never had beef. And uh, one time he got mad about something and he commented on social media. So I ended up seeing him in Vegas and I was doing the Shack All Star and they say, lavel I said ten to come here, and he wonked and said, what's up?
Speaker 3: Man?
Speaker 2: I said, look, pull out your phone. He pulled that phone and I said, put my number in your phone, and he put his number in. I said, now, if you ever have a problem, just calm, I said, because people blow stuff out of proportion. And I say, none of this is true. I said, so just calm. And ever since then we've been tight as a drawn, tight as a druw.
Speaker 1: And he finny, Yeah, hey, level problem with my side now?
Speaker 2: Hey man?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I know. He's still a bigger than you.
Speaker 2: He's my mother. He still he funny though all the year. He's still he'd be very funny. Let me ask you a question. If I say, Bruce, I need you to give me your mott rush more Comedians. Okay, I'm gonna let you go because it's it's I think it's a little bit difficult because you know you got the old era, So I'm gonna let you do the old era, and I'm gonna let you lose this gin. So if you if I give you my rushmore the old school, who.
Speaker 1: You put be?
Speaker 2: Richard Prior, Red Fox, Red Bill Copy, Milton Borough, Miltonburg. That's all you get. You get mom's name. You don't get vote. That's my first You get here, okay? With school?
Speaker 1: You and you was good at school?
Speaker 2: Math not that good?
Speaker 1: Okay, I mean I didn't change class. I just stayed in the room, did y'all?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 1: This generations? Who makes me laugh?
Speaker 2: Tony Roberts okay, DC Young Flyer okay, Mike Himps okay. And one more he's not old, but he's not new, but he's old school. It's DL Huberty. Yeah. I love DL Man.
Speaker 5: Yeah yeah, yeah, I mean, but you get, I mean, these guys are the comedians now man, they just but when you you're the first guy that came out here. Because normally when I have comedians, and I've had quite a few, I think I have about six or seven RESI had about six or seven on They.
Speaker 1: Always talk about Chappelle.
Speaker 5: How is Chappelle being able to do and go to the heights. He walked away from his show. He said, I just needed a break because I found out they were laughing at me, not with me. And he came back and he's bigger, double quadruple.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what he was when he left for Deave Chappelle is very clever and he's not a dummy, very smart. Now the walking away, you can walk away when you got fifty me in the back right okay, yeah, if you ain't got no money, he ain't walking away right back. You walked to the microphone and say, you know, why did the chicken.
Speaker 1: Cross the road? So I love Dave, were good friends. Dave have came and saw many different shows I've seen Dave. Dave is brilliant. Yeah, and he's brilliant at what he do. The way he could tell a story.
Speaker 5: His monologue Saturday Night Live might have been the greatest monologue I had ever seen on that show.
Speaker 2: And they was trying to barcot him like he was. He did some I think he did a joke on the on the was it was it the gay crew of yeah? Yeah?
Speaker 1: It was like, yeah, we don't want him on that show. And then he went on that and just ripped it.
Speaker 2: He did.
Speaker 1: He lets nothing bother him.
Speaker 5: Yeah, if he do, he never let us because they can't take anything that's important from it, not at all. Because he walked away, like you said, he walked away from fifty million. And if he does the show, he's gonna sell out in five minutes anyway. So everything that you could possibly take, you could take, Hollywood, he don't want it.
Speaker 2: That's right, he had it.
Speaker 1: He need walked away from him. He walked away from fifty million, but he also had fifty million in the.
Speaker 2: Bank, so he eased to come back. If you got fifty million, you could be like, you know what, fuck this?
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: And he was just winning, regroup and got itself together, right. But it's just like Lebron James. I met Lebron when he was seventeen in high school. But if something is bothering Lebron, you don't know it. He never shows it. He does it. I'm sure at home, Yeah, I'm sure at home his wife see him break down and why why why? But in the public, Lebron don't even he don't even phase it. And I'm a Lebron j Ain't fan, die hard me too, die Hard Meal. They gonna talk about him and the fog. He played the whole forty eight minutes and hit forty points. He can't do it by himself, right, he he just didn't show up. I think he needs trimmed little bit. If he trimmed thatever just a little bit, just a little bit, that he could separate it his eyes open. I hope we don't get very back then I won't see this.
Speaker 5: I look at the com and it started way back. You look at Cosby, Uh did TV? You look at Red Fox? You saw Prior. You see all the top comedians do television set the attainer d deal hugely, Steve Harvey, a lot of the guys.
Speaker 2: What is it?
Speaker 1: Do you think your weight held you back?
Speaker 2: I think so. That's a very good court. I think so because people think you can't do it, but you have to. We have to prove ourself right, to prove us. Just like it's like black people.
Speaker 1: We have to be overqualified to do a job.
Speaker 2: Do you get the marginal job right? And I think it have And I think people are scared and well, I hope you don't fall out on stage, But what about the skinning? People fall out on stage right. You know what I'm saying. But I'm gonna create mom and making mom right because that's all you. I mean, you've been You've been the wash with with Snoop Dogg and Doctor Dre And when I did that movie, let me tell you, I was so scared. I don't know, that was my first movie. Didn't know what to do. But I wanted to be more agile in that movie, right he want Snoop was like him, do you know I want to roll on the ground like I was a super cop? You know what I'm saying. But they kind of just now, we don't want to do that. But Snoop and Drake was like, let him right, man, let it be him. But I was very nervous when I did that movie. And if I ever get a chance to do it again, I'm gonna wrap it. I'm gonna rip it.
Speaker 5: You look at I'm talking about commercial star that's become I'm talking about like a Kevin Hart.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean ka hardest he the man, and I can remember he was getting ready to quit. It was getting to a point where he said, man, nothing is happening for me. I say a lot of time, it don't happen on your time. I say, just hanging at it's going to happen for you and probably within the next year. He just plopped. He just blew up.
Speaker 5: But he deserved it. Kevin is a good guy. He a hard worker. He's a great guy. Yeah, Chris Rock the special, What did you think about it?
Speaker 2: I like it, man, I didn't like they cut out the part will They showed it the very first time, but then afterwards they cut the part I will. She let him tell the story, right, it happened.
Speaker 1: It happened the whole world. It's kind of like, kind of like they banded any books. They don't want to tell the history. It happened. It happened. That's right.
Speaker 2: It happened.
Speaker 1: Because you cut it out, don't mean it didn't happen. I had a friend in Europe come and sadn't did he just slap him?
Speaker 2: Right? Understand because they saw first the time he said, did it just us? Yeah, it just happened. Show it, let him talk about it. And and and I think Wheeler come around. I think it's gonna come around here and and and apologize. When when you got a woman that don't that don't really.
Speaker 1: Like you, you got all old time about You're not the first man that said this.
Speaker 2: I'm on them.
Speaker 1: I don't think she does. I think the damn why they're gonna be married all these years? At some point in time, you get.
Speaker 2: I think she liked the lifestyle. Now, who's she gonna mad with that much money? Oprah opraak gonna happen? You gonna see what I'm saying, I mean? And then she's she's she's mean? Is she Well? I don't know anything, so I'm just I don't know to think about it. I could just see it in her face for her to sit there, See a real woman would have say, hey, don't don't get up. Don't you miss this money?
Speaker 1: No, don't don't get.
Speaker 2: Up and do that? Talk to him after the show? Right, She wanted him to go up there and do that, you know what I'm saying. And he did it, and then he yells at keep my wife name. You should have been talking to your wife when she be messed with a young boy.
Speaker 1: Did I bring that up.
Speaker 2: Over? Canon?
Speaker 1: Word he might send for you.
Speaker 2: He can't slap me, though, I'm telling you, I'll put him in the figure fole first time. I will reflat him. I hit him in the eyes, you know, re flap when you do that. I'm going to the figure pole. I'm going to the fig.
Speaker 1: Do you would you write jokes for another comedian? Yes, sir, I'm actually good at that. What if you get somebody that joke that you're like, damn, I should have kept that for my say, no, I just I would do that.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you remember a comedian by name of Small Fry, you remember her well? She she's she used to be on the road, he is going. I used to write for her. She's young, and she was she used to look so innocent, like a little girl. And I wrote a joke for and it was about she said she was at church and the preacher told her he's gonna pray for it. And she said, he said, put your hands up, and he said, God got something in store for you. And she said, you know, he didn't tell me what store was in, you know, because she right, she didn't realize that he was talking about in a spiritual mar She said, he didn't tell me what store was in. And that used to write little because she looked so innocent, right, she didn't need to do no hardcore jokes. She needed to do a little simple jokes and they weren't good for in the church right when she did the church because I like the church people is the easy people may laugh, Yeah, the easiest people in the world. You know, you could just say, you know, Lord did scream? You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: Well, you know I do a lot of church stuff too. Yeah, you travel with a lot. I mean, you've been on the road with Lenelle. You've been on the road with some more, and I love some more. There givings. I don't know if Cheryl Underwood travel tours like she wants, not as much, but she you know, she's doing the TV show doing very well. But share is a monster on the stage. Yeah, she's a monster. So I like some more some more, But so what what is it about her? What is about her comedy that seems to be Most people say, well, it comes to female comics right now, she's worse.
Speaker 1: At well, the thing was some more. She doesn't.
Speaker 2: Most female comedians bash men. They bashing talk about them sexually. She she don't really go there. She do totally different stuff and some more stays in her lane. You ever notice you don't hear anything about some more doing crazy stuff, and she stays in her lane and she stayed focused. And I've been to oh yeah, I've been on tours since January. We just ended in May. And let me tell you, man, she's top notch. She's top notch, man. And I've been on small for years and years. And her husband keeps everything in place. She's she's really focused, and she's really good at what she do.
Speaker 1: What's your favorite city? Detur, Oh my god, A bunch of them, but Houston, Texas.
Speaker 2: Let me tell you something, man, they come out Houston, come out in Detroit, Detroit. I don't care rain, sleet, or snow. Detroit is coming out, right. They And one thing about Detroit. If you're good, you're good. If you're not, they're gonna let you know, right, They're gonna let you know.
Speaker 1: But they come out. I mean it could be a blizzard, it will sell out, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So what's some of the wildest stories you can tell us about being on the road.
Speaker 2: I tell you I was in Flint, Michigan one time, and I'm on stage. As a matter of fact, it was Valentine's weekend. It's cold, so cold, I see the statue with a cold on. Now that's cold. Yeah. When you see a statue of a cold on, Yeah, and it's trembling. But I was on stage. I had to do like forty five minutes to an hour, and shows packed and I had did like forty five minutes.
Speaker 1: I'm here ready to wrap it up. And this dude's was drunking front.
Speaker 2: Fat dude, Man, you ain't funny, I said, Man, actually I'm very funny, I said, because everybody's you see men, it's very funny. And this dude jumps on stage. So I'm looking at the security off the stage. Security this way, I'm looking and they laugh. They laughed on. I said, now I'm gonna have to handle this myself. So we jumped on stairs. Look now you done jumped on stage. I say, the security ain't gonna do nothing. I'm gonna have to handle you myself. I said, now I can handle you, no problem.
Speaker 1: Or what did you gonna do?
Speaker 2: By the time security came. So this dude that did to show. The promoter kept stressing that I do this after party, and that's something I don't like to do. I don't do after party, go to the hotel, pray do goes to this after party. I said, I'm gonna stay about thirty minutes. And so I was telling these securities about how this dude jumped on staying. Now, these boys played for Alabama Michigan and they about six six sixteen. You know what I'm saying, hands bigger. He want to do something to let you know right now, he come in here, We're gonna let him have it. You know what I'm saying. I said, Well, I said, I ain't trying to get nobody to beat up. And I said, but he jumped on stage like he wanted to find me. And he said, I'm telling you, if you come in here, we got him. Man, were just stitting there talking. I'm sitting there, looks down on the door. Here come the dude coming in with his three friends. I told the I say, man, that's the dude that was on show that jumped on stage on me. So he said, he said one word, I'm gonna knock and smooth out. And it was now on the ground and everything, and the dude walked in and spotted me. He's, oh, here this motherfucker like here, that's crucial. Bust him dead in the faith I'm talking about before, I can't even say, they just put him aside on like they DRUGGI my side. He was laying that, I like this on the ground. I walked that side. I just got the car left, so you know, I don't see him some crazy stuff. Man.
Speaker 5: We see the health scare with Jamie, and I don't know how well you on Jamie Fox and got a health scare right now dealing with some things, hopefully with Jamie with your speedy recovery.
Speaker 2: Yes, back on your feet soon.
Speaker 3: What do you do?
Speaker 1: Are you a trade?
Speaker 2: I mean it's we don't know what really happened, but do you I mean you're on the road nine months, You're doing you know, three, four or five shows a week.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that's something I enjoy. It keeps me a lie. And I have to give Jamie.
Speaker 2: I had to commend him for not letting everybody know what's wrong with him, because it's not good to let everybody know what's wrong with me because people are talking against you, and talk is real. Whatever come out your mouth is real, right, So yeah, I'm glad they're keeping it closed when no one can know what. Just let him keep guessing, you know what I'm saying. Just let him keep guessing, but big up to jam I used to hang with him back in the day when he's come to the cogniaciated and Atlanta used to take.
Speaker 1: Him to the hood malls.
Speaker 2: He want to go to Green bron You know what I'm saying, You want to go to Wesley And I used to take him.
Speaker 1: But oh yeah, but he's big up to it.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 1: He's a great guy. And I'm a fan of Jamie Foxx. I really am talent. He turned into Ray Chard's Yes, I mean when he did well, he did like Ray would do.
Speaker 2: I think, you know what you tell the baseball team, I buy my.
Speaker 1: Whole new uniforms.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: He turned into Ray And then when he came with Jangle, Oh my goodness. Yeah, I mean Jangle was the best movie. And Sammy and Jackson, I loved you. He should have won. He should have won. He ain't gonna Sama said, they didn't come here for no man, dingo, they come for that gal let me say it. Yeah, he said, thank you, Steven, You're welcome, Gavin and he sipped on that. Remember that. Yeah, he said it was a snaky would have been me. Sammy and Jackson was excellent. He was excellent.
Speaker 1: What about food on too? I mean you what what do you when you go to the promoter, what do you tell the promoter, Bruce, this.
Speaker 3: Is my writer.
Speaker 2: Bake fish, bakefish, baco, grilled fish, wild rice, uh, green vegetable, mixed veestivals, and corn, and we do all water. I do no solder drunk sold in twenty years, right, you know? And I do have Hennessy there for my guys because I don't drink. No, there ain't be known no more. You just need to right there, right here. Yeah, that's it all right, don't you need that right there? Okay? But if I give him that they're drinking, I know they would just fold the dragging the kid and Hennis like one, dude, it tastes like grape juice. I'm like, wait minute, this hen is don't taste like great? This nice and smooth. Ain'tngry to burn going down?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think. Yeah. I stopped drinking years ago. Yeah, my well, my baby boy was born, I stopped drinking. He's thirty nine now and my baby girl is thirty seven old son forty two. You you you got it at the early as I was laying it down. Yeah, oh boy, when I put the hump in my back. When I got through, the hump was in up back. I had to go do it again to get my hump back. Right, I'm talking about right? So what what have you ever had a promoter? You said, Okay, you're gonna do this set. You know you're going thirty minutes, forty five minutes, and then the pro the promoter try to stiff you. Oh your mama, god, you you hitting close to home. Let me tell you something. Did a show in Atlanta, Georgia, civy telling you know what city you've been there in the promoter he kind of worked me a little, allright, So he wanted me to do this radio that I have no problem because I know how to do it. So the show sold out the city sitting on seat, but like forty five hundred right sold out. So when it's time to subtle, he brings the paperwork guy and says, your people made a mistake on the payout. I say, impossible. I said, I'd have never been at this show tonight if they made a mistake, mam said. He looked me, damn my eyes. He said, personally, I do not think you're worth the money To ask him. I said really. I said, it's really funny because your shows are sold out. I said, I've been doing the show was on a Saturday. I said, I've been doing radio all day Thursday for you and all day Friday to sell your shows. He tried to give me less than what I what do you agree to say? I said, look, I'm not the man. Did argue with you or nothing like that. I said, well, it's two things gonna happen. You're gonna give it to me now, are You're gonna give it to me later.
Speaker 1: But you're gonna give it to me right. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: And I call my people and they like Bruce, he is totally lying everything. He ended up paying me the money later. But the crazy day he called back to try to book me on another show and all money and good money. I said, thank you, but no, thank I'm good. I said, I'm not worth the money. Remember wow. Yeah, So I've been there. I had guys to pay me and they said, man, they got your check right there on the table. That's that's that. These are bad taste in my mouth. Why you didn't give it to me? And when I got it and took it to the bag. It was fake. It was a fake cash your check, So so how you get your money back? We had to get a lawyer and get it back. We got the money back, but he could never say, hey, I gave it to him and he left it on the table, so I can get it myself.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 1: It's all kind of slick stuff. I don't know if you heard t I. Haven't really heard a whole lot of t II, but t I.
Speaker 2: T I.
Speaker 1: Everybody know he the king of this He called himself the King of the South. I love t I.
Speaker 5: He's been on the show. How how difficult is it what he's doing. He's really good at one thing and he branches off into your world.
Speaker 2: Okay. I did the City Winery in Atlanta last year, first time they never did comedy there and I sold the whole show, did five shows, sowd him out, and t I came down and did some time, and he wanted me to critique his set, and I watched him. I told him, you're good, but you're gonna get better the more, the more you're on stage, and he's actually doing very well.
Speaker 1: He's doing very well. But when it comes to rapping, man, yeah, I mean he's the man.
Speaker 2: What if I can give me. I think I'm thinking about trying to do a little. Well, you need to just help me you, you know, you my dog. I help you do anything. Man, you you don't want to do no comedy. I thought about it. I thought about that. I really did you care? I mean, you're good looking too, built like right daddy, Because you know one thing I want all the young guys. You know, I tell my nephew this all the time. It ain't nothing to it, right, it ain't to it nothing to it. To women, if they like you, it's a done deal, right. But if they don't like you, you're not getting it. And I used to hear my cousin say all the time. I used to mess with what I be on my bicycle said, ooh, you can go get him to She's like, I don't like him like that.
Speaker 1: Now I know what she's talking, right, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: So we got to understand a lot of a lot of women live a life that they can't even afford, you know what I'm saying. They need a man to buy supplement, you know, and they look good. But that's a life you got to live all the time. Shut them when I'm out, I'm just like this, mensing with my cars. I don't do no work. I got a mechanical. You call me the superviowl. You the superviowl. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: But I just enjoy it and that's where my joy come from. Yeah, but if you could go back, what is one thing? What would you do over again?
Speaker 5: If you could go back and say, you know what, go back to a twenty twenty four year old Bruce Bruce.
Speaker 1: I mean, I tell you what I did.
Speaker 2: If I got back around eighteen, I would continue to be working out and not stopping and the tent and look like you, you know, and you know been a model now, been modeling underwear for seers or maybe jac bruceie and you might have had ten kids, Oh my god.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I did want to ten, but I didn't want them by that wife.
Speaker 2: Good god. I was married to the Devil's little sister. Did you hear me?
Speaker 1: Good God about it? But but yeah, but I said, you got one of your favors. You're married again. Yeah, So it didn't it didn't taint you, It didn't sour the taste the way got into I stayed divorced like twenty five years right, you know what I'm saying. And one I got there.
Speaker 2: Ooh she just fashioned. Oh I like it here where you go? Whoo, who I see you again. I'm gonna hit you right in the mouth. We be the mall oo lord like everything right, everything, but don't want to pay for nothing. Oh she get an account and move right to the right.
Speaker 1: She set up there and lied to the right. You need to slide right back.
Speaker 2: To the left. But you know, you know.
Speaker 1: So how was it raising three kids?
Speaker 2: Well, it was the best thing I ever did in my life because I was young and my kids was young, right, and I always was with my kids, So it's almost like I was raising my sisters and my brother right. And but I kept disciplining them. But I didn't let anybody keep my kids. If it were my mama, her mama, me or her, nobody could keep them. They they was you say something like kid, they look at you like your crazy. They'll speak, but let me hold that baby. Not know they knew, they knew, not going nobody, and I don't. I didn't trust church members because church members don't tell you everything, because they keep crazy people at their house that you never see the Eastern and they got a sounder about thirty six years old with some baby shoes.
Speaker 1: He got a living room table Bible Eastern. Sudden, hey, my name is Ju. You'd be like, who is that?
Speaker 2: Where has he been? And you look at her like I told you he's somebody crazy in the basement. So turn remember, don't tell you everything right, you know. And you can't not leave your kids with everybody, man. And I just refused to do it.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 1: And I used to go.
Speaker 2: I used to be in a hold in this church, you know, and appreacher, you know, we was all clothing. Man, I want you to come to try and say, well, my me or her, I'm not letting nobody keep my kids right, you know. And it took them a long time to understand that. But I didn't trust nobody, you know, I ain't. And my kids are great kids. Man. My daughter's one of the best mothers I've ever seen. She got three kids, and her kids are super smart, and she's just a great mother. And I tell her that because we're so quick to bash our children right and do something stupid.
Speaker 1: It's so stupid. I be like I called them one. I said, I just called tell you son. She said, what's her?
Speaker 2: Daddy? I said, you know, you're the best mother I ever seen them, and she almost went into she said, thank you daddy, because you have to let people know, you know, whether it's good or bad. You have to let them know.
Speaker 5: And she does a great job with kids. Man, sports, you did the Shack All Star comedy. You like you like roasting athlete, You like roasting famous.
Speaker 2: Man, you know? And I like shack Man. But I like him because Shaq has a good sense of human himself. Yes, and he's like a big kid. And the most thing I like about Shaq he will help anybody, you know what I'm saying. And he's able. He's able to do it, but he don't mind doing it right, you know.
Speaker 1: I seen him ask a little boy.
Speaker 2: He said, you want to bycy He was in Walmart and the boss said yeah, he said, Nega, ask you mama, can you have it? And little boy he said, this guy want to buy it? He said, can get it if he wants to.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying. I love it about him.
Speaker 2: Man, He's just good person and he's gonna last forever.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Whenever you take whatever you give, ever you give, you're gonna get it back. You're gonna get it back.
Speaker 1: You and I were talking off camera about Freaknick. Freaknick.
Speaker 5: You know the documentary is supposed to be a documentary coming out about Freaknick.
Speaker 1: What is your recollection of free.
Speaker 2: See it All back? But you know, I don't know why these mothers gonna be so ashamed of what they did when they were younger that that's in your path, right, you know what I'm saying. I'm saying, but I know some of them did crazy. Let me tell you I Freak Nick was so crazy shatne. I used to see girls on the back of a pickup truck. This guy had to pick up truck. Here, three girls on the back. They had on long t shirts with no underwear, no bro okay, quite natural. Dudes say, hey man, some girls gonna pick up truck with no draws though. You know, everybody got their cameras and they was at the red light because it's packed.
Speaker 1: The streets are packed. Jam panel, you can't get them. Dude, he got his video.
Speaker 2: Ken We say, baby, you know you ain't got no pants on. Let me see that thing. You know what I'm saying. She's like, I don't know you like that. And now they on the back of the pickup, right he's he's saying on and she's like, he said, let me see. He said, you ain't got no dro Let me say you got that, you must want to show it, you know, well she got to show a little bit something like that.
Speaker 1: What was your favorite club in the ninety Oh my goodness.
Speaker 2: I didn't do too much clubing, but you know I used running club called Club five five nine and.
Speaker 1: Two Bullet Mill. Oh my god.
Speaker 2: You know we we we know what a crows then. You know, Crowsness was the joint crows now and I knew what's twelve one twelve and one twelve your mama Ciscos and Marco's No, I don't okay, Club seven twenty uh club Illusions. Yeah, you know what I'm saying. You were talking about good clubs, man. But I didn't do too much clubbing, but I was in them, you know, I was in them. And the club in Atlanta scene was just maybe five five nine. It's the joint. Oh my god. You know we have we have we have this compassion like eight hundred people, you know, we got twenty five hundred. Now, you know, you can't dance, you know, dunkers moving like that. So the fried chief will come in, you know, with his ticket book hitting on the side of his pants. Hey Bruce, how many things he got in there? I say, I said, I think you about eight hundred? You know, I said, we left five inn and five out. Every time five come out, we left five in. We got twenty five hundred people. Now now, so I say, look, I see you, Homery. You know what I'm saying. He said, well, yeah, I get these chicken WANs or something. I said, I give my girl to fix some of limon pepper, some fries and a beer and and I'm gonna tell you how. I don't want nobody to take this, but this is how we used to do our business. And we get in the office and I had to own it. And I say, hey, man, did you ever send that money to that church that we supposed to sponsor?
Speaker 1: He said, no, I didn't send it. I said, what church you go to?
Speaker 2: This?
Speaker 4: Why?
Speaker 2: The fire chief? He said, I go to First Baptist Church of Roswell. I said, we look, we were gonna get five thousand dollars to this church before they are acquired, to get some robes and stuff like that. I said, I said, what, I just write the check and you just put the name of your church on that. Every time the check come back, his name was on it. But he knew what I was doing, right because he could have wrote me a check for fifty thousand dollars that I had to pay. But he hit me like every three months.
Speaker 4: Bro.
Speaker 2: I didn't think he got in there. He liked. I said, I don't know about eight hundred names. Man, you know what I'm saying. But I knew what the city. I knew the game to play. And he always say, that's a good man right there, because I knew what I was doing. But you have to play the game.
Speaker 1: Man. What's that?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 1: That club on Ponts Punslon was it?
Speaker 2: I remember?
Speaker 1: Strip Club?
Speaker 2: Was it Strip Club?
Speaker 4: Was it?
Speaker 2: Dougans?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 2: Not do where you got to wing walk? You know U with the old women that the old woman be there on Pussely Yeah, on Punts. Wow. I can't think it's right on the tip of my top because we know we got the famous what if you know you got you got Magic, got Blue Flame, you got Strokers, you got Nickis, Nickles Nicholas on Ella Street, you got body tapped, you got a Filey's, you got pink pony, you got cheetah man. What's the name of that? Was it?
Speaker 1: German club?
Speaker 2: Nah?
Speaker 1: But but they had like they got like eighty year old in there stripper. Yeah, she ain't got no cane, got no TV.
Speaker 2: I ain't got no TV.
Speaker 1: That might kind of good right there? Yeah, yes, google that red Quick Pumpy c j Yo man.
Speaker 2: Do you see ja? I can't. It's on.
Speaker 1: It's on punts, Ponce Leon Gentlemen club on pints. Yeah. Oh, you know what I'm talking about, don't you. He know exactly what I'm talking about. Hit up at Down, I'll been there, had I had to see him. I had had this climb, my round climb.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you don't know.
Speaker 1: He ain't never talked me. Yes, you heard what he said to me. He wished He ain't want you to hear.
Speaker 2: It used to be a whole hotel.
Speaker 1: The Clara BoNT he whispered it. I mean him got talking with me. He never talk with that.
Speaker 2: Baby.
Speaker 1: Bruce, you are real popular with the rappers.
Speaker 5: Too Short put you in the song remember Magic City, before Freaking Negg, before police started, Get all Weeks, all the big girls get loose with it.
Speaker 2: All the skinny girls. Let Bruce Bruce hit it. Yes, sir, Biggie had a song and hypnotized. He said, Bruce Bruce, who do something to us? Talk gos to us? Girls want to do us? Screw us?
Speaker 4: Who?
Speaker 2: He and puff? That was Biggie Rest in Peace. And I met him in Jacksonville, Florida, and I was on stage messing with the crowd as usual, and he said, this dude is funny man. And he told me, so, I'm gonna put you down. And you know you don't think nothing of it. You know what I'm saying. And we hear the song and it was Biggie, why have you become such a cultural hit with the rap? Because people love me? And then I know them and I'm friends with like outcasts, outcasts. Let me tell you, outcasts put me on the map. If I tell anybody anything different, I'd be lying. When we did So Fresh and So Clean did a video with him, and I'm going across stage with the lave of the suit and everything, not knowing what this video is going to do for me. But when I when they called me for the video, my managers like, how much we're gonna charge him. I said, absolutely nothing, I said. He said why, I said, because first of all, I know them. I said, Second of all, they're hot. They're gonna show this video every day for the next six months, ten times a day. I said, trust me when I tell you, we're gonna get paid. Probably not up front, but on the back end, we're gonna get paid. And when I when I did that for outcasts, it was the best thing I ever could have did. Then I end up by me not charging them. I did a movie with them called Who's Your Caddy? Idlewo was first, and then I did idlewhole I mean, and Who's Your Caddy?
Speaker 1: And they put me on the map again.
Speaker 2: Which was great, and I met great people I never get when I met missus James Avery then played the fresh Prince but one of the best guys I ever met in my entire life. Friendly and we just kicked it.
Speaker 1: Off so good.
Speaker 2: We was joking the whole time. But our cast big up to them. If they do a Who's Your Caddy? Too, I want to be there. Yeah, I want to be down.
Speaker 1: You got anything you want to promote, you got a tour coming up, you got to drink.
Speaker 2: I didn't want the church rooms know anything about the stripping thing. I'm thinking about going back at it. So if you see me out there, I'm letting you know your buck gonna be out there. But nah, you know, the whole month of just go on Bruce bus My Instagram, Twitter and Facebook is at mine, Bruce, Bruce, at mine, Bruce Bruce, and tell me your likes and your dislikes because there's something you dislike.
Speaker 1: I can fix it.
Speaker 2: Bruce. Love appreciate it. Thank you man, Thanks for your.
Speaker 3: Time, all my life, grinding all my life, sacrifice, hustle pad the price, want to slice, got to brow the dice to swap all my life.
Speaker 2: I've been grinding all my life, all my life, grinding all.
Speaker 4: My life, sacrifice, hustle pad the price, want to slice, got to brow the dice to.
Speaker 3: Swap all my life.
Speaker 2: I've been grinding all my life.