Speaker 1: The volume.
Speaker 2: All right, Olgret Hoops and I here at the volume. Have you Wednesday again, everybody. The hits keep coming this week with free agency, mostly in the form of trades, as Jalen Brown has been traded from the Boston Celtics to the Philadelphia seventy six ers for Paul George and a slew of draft assets that we will go over. This week has been so crazy. This is already our fifth episode of the week and it is four point thirty here in Colorado on a Wednesday, And that is how this week has been. I want to talk about this particular deal from the perspective of both teams. I also now have the details from the Los Angeles Lakers off season and I have more thoughts there now that we kind of have a better feel for what the total plan was. So we'll talk a little bit of Lakers at the tail end of the show. Then we'll get out of here for today. Can't say it's over for the week, though. We still got a Lebron signing at some point coming. Who knows, if there's some other big trade on the horizon. We'll continue to react as things happen throughout the week. You guys are the joke before we get started. Subscribe to hoopsent Out YouTube channels. You don't miss any more of our videos. We have a goal to get to one hundred and fifty thousand subs before the end of Summer League. You guys can help us a lot if you scroll down and hit that subscribe button. We need about nine thousand mores. We need a bunch of you guys to do that. If you haven't, If you've already subscribed, please like this video sign up for post notifications. That helps us a lot the last minute least. If you guys want to get questions into our weekly mail bags, drop them into the comments underneath this video. Put mailbag cll in. Write your question. We'll get to them in our mail bags throughout the remainder of the season. All right, let's talk some basketball. So the details Paul George for Jalen Brown is a simple swap in form in terms of the players that are changing teams. Here it's two first round picks, two second round picks. The actual specific breakdown of the picks per Sham Serrania, a twenty twenty eight first round pick that could convert from a first to a swap that is more favorable to Boston. What that means to me is that the pick is protected. Obviously, twenty twenty eight is two full draft cycles from now, so a lot can happen between then and now in terms of you know, breaking you know, Joel Embiid breaking down, or some other trade that Philly makes. So it's hard to say exactly what that pick is worth until we see the specific protections that are on it. A twenty thirty one unprotected Philadelphia. First, that's a nice asset there. Philly can't turn VJ. Edgecomb and Tyrese Maxi into anything in the next couple of seasons that could be headed towards a rebuild. So not nothing there on the asset front. Twenty twenty eight second round pick most favorable of Golden State, OKAC Milwaukee A twenty thirty second round pick most favorable of Washington, Portland and Phoenix.
Speaker 1: So I actually have to start here.
Speaker 2: I want to talk about Philly, and I want to talk about Boston, but I have to start with the Milwaukee Bucks you guys.
Speaker 1: As you guys know, I have no interest.
Speaker 2: In dying on a hill if I think I'm wrong about something and I think I was wrong about something involving the draft assets that were on the table in the theorized Milwaukee Miami deal versus the Milwaukee Boston deal. I thought that Miami passing on the Jalen Brown plus two first round picks package was a mistake under the circumstances compared to what Miami could offer, because I thought Jalen Brown would get a haul. And I think it's pretty clear from this that Miami did. Excuse me, that Milwaukee did a rough canvassing of the league in terms of what Jalen Brown would be worth and clearly did not see much in the form of value in terms of what teams are willing to pay for Jalen Brown. And now it's not that I don't think that the Celtics offtware was still better. I just think it was certainly a lot more competitive now, I think, judging by what we've seen here. I mean, Sham's reported that they were shopping Jalen Brown to like a dozen teams. So if you're shopping him to a dozen teams, and this is the best you can get a protected first and unprotected first and two seconds, if you combine that with the two unprotected firsts that Boston had attached to Jalen Brown. That actually stacks up more favorably with the Miami package than I originally thought. So I was very critical of Milwaukee for passing on that deal, and I have to retract that to a certain extent, just simply because of the fact that the Miami package, in the context of what we now know Jalen Brown's value to be, was more competitive. So I just wanted to say that first, because I think that is relevant here. My opinion that Jalen Brown plus two first round picks was way better than Miami's package had more to do with I perceived Jalen Brown's value to be higher. Now, is Jalen Brown generally undervalued around the league?
Speaker 1: I do think so.
Speaker 2: I think it has a combination of the I think it's a combination of several factors. I think the analytics departments on all these teams probably undervalue Jaylen Brown because he is not a player that performs well in the advanced metric department. I think there's some personality stuff there in terms of Jalen Brown being, you know, somewhat strange with his behavior over the course of the last several months since the season ended in Boston. I think there's also, like, you know, this is an underrated part of all these things, Like when I'm talking about Lebron James's free agency, I'm thinking about fit. I'm thinking, like, what does it look like if he plays in Cleveland? What does it look like if he plays in Miami, What does it look like if he plays in Golden State? And you start to consider things like how would his game fit with a Steph Currys or a Nikola Jokic versus a Donovan Mitchell or a Jannis and Bam frontcourt basketball fit matters when you're having these conversations, and Jalen Brown is somewhat of an On an Island offensive player. He is not a good spot up player. He is not a good catch and shoot three point shooter. On defense, he is a little bit one dimensional and that he's very good on the ball, but a little bit mistake prone off the ball. And again, if you're an On an Island player where your best attribute is give me the ball in the middle of the floor and let me play one on one, that is going to come with a certain amount of like, well, how do I fit this guy in with what we're trying to build here in you know, Portland, or in any of these situations. Denver any I talked about that in terms of the reported potential swap with him and Jamal Murray.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: So, like I, as I look at this, I think the combination of the way he performed in advanced metrics and how he performed in terms of his natural basketball fit with other players, I think all of that played a role in Jalen Brown's value kind of tanking over the course of you know, a weird couple of months after his best season of his career. Again it's been said to death, but second team All NBA sixth and MVP voting, I'll played better in the first round series than I think he got credit for. He didn't play great. He definitely didn't play as well as he did in the regular season, but I think he performed better than people think when you look at that series, and they still had a chance to win despite the issues with Joel Embiid and Tatum breaking down over the course of the series. And so I do think Jalen Brown is still a little undervalued. And that's where I want to start with the Sixers here with to put it very simply, I've always said this, like, don't overthink things like Jalen Brown is just a very talented basketball player. He is a guy that you can deploy on apex perimeter talents in the NBA, and he can defend at an extremely high level. He is a player that has shown great growth as an isolation attacker in the middle of the floor, that has shown growth as a playmaker there. And it's not a coincidence that he had as much success as he did last season. And we discussed the advanced metrics thing at length earlier this week, so I won't get into it again here, but just the very short version of it is, don't overreact to some of the advanced metrics. They do not count for the fact that Jalen Brown was on the floor to start games, and he was on the floor to close games. And the Celtics were one of the best teams in the league last season, and when they won games, they won with Jalen Brown on the floor in all of the pivotal moments. So don't overthink things on that front. And very simply, when things broke down for Boston, he was their most reliable get a bucket guy by a mile, and I still think that there's a lot of value on that in the NBA. So as you look at at Philly, and obviously you have the Dean Wade acquisition at the power forward spot, you lose Quinton Grimes, you add Jalen Brown in.
Speaker 1: At that small forward spot.
Speaker 2: We have a starting lineup that's going to include Tyrese Maxey at the one, VJ Edgecomb at the two, Jalen Brown at the three, Dean Wade at the four, Joel Embiid at the five. Still slow in the front court, and that I think is where the fail point is for this particular team. As we saw in the Knicks series. If you have a team that could put these guys in pick and roll, whether it's Indiana for example, or it's a team like New York with Jaln Brown that can space the flour and put your bigs in pick and roll, I think there's some problems there for Philly defensively. And for the record, like I was talking about this with Jackson before we went live, and we're gonna talk about the Celtics in a second, I think this is unmitigated disaster for Boston. But if you look at the situation, I think Brad Stevens being willing to trade Jalen Brown not just to a team in the Eastern Conference that he has to compete with, but a team in the Eastern Conference that just eliminated them from the playoffs.
Speaker 1: I think Brad.
Speaker 2: Stevens sending Jalen Brown to Philly is a strong statement from Brad Stevens that he doesn't view Philly as some sort of upper tier contender in the East.
Speaker 1: With Jalen Brown, I would.
Speaker 2: Move them up from where they were to being a legitimate puncher's chance threat, kind of in that tier with Cleveland and Detroit. I've kind of described the tiers so far this offseason is I have like New York Boston. Now Boston to me is a big question after the Jalen Brown trade. Will get to them in a minute, But before the trade, I had Boston in that tier, and I had Toronto in that tier after the Kawhi Leonard trade, and then I go down to the next group and that's where I have, Like you know, Indiana, there's some question marks. Zubots is a very different player than Miles Turner. There's been health stuff with Tyrey Saliburton even more than the Achilles. He's had some other health stuff that he's been dealing with. It's just we're a long way removed from their finals run. So Indiana has some question marks, Cleveland has some question marks. Remains to be seen if they pull up. There's a lot of building Cleveland buzz with Lebron today for whatever reason. That could just mean that they have another deal lined up to try to achieve a move for Lebron. But I would put Philly in that group. They're very fast on the perimeter. MAXI and VJ edgecom fastest shit. Like Jalen Brown is a force multiplier athletically in that unit. He kind of replaces that Kelly Ubray spot to me. Where like Kelly Eubray was the athlete that you had at the forward spot in between embat and the guards, Jalen Brown now just becomes that athlete at the ford spot. Gives them a different method to attack now, Like I talked about this with Toronto, Like I like the idea of having different avenues to attack, Like, Oh, I've got Jamal s Sheedd and Emmanuel quickly, i can speed attack against slow players. Oh I've got Kawhi Leonard and Scottie Barnes. I can power attack against size mismatches from my forward position. I've got different ways that I can attack. I like that with Philly right like I've got Maxi and edgecomb as speed guards that can attack off of the dribble and knock down shots over the top. I've got Joel Embiid who can just annihilate a center rotation if you don't have the right type of center in your rotation and Bead's kicking your ass. A That's a real value add there in terms of a way to break down a defense. They can run pick and roll with those guards, and with Joel Embiid, Jalen Brown gives you a very different type of attack in the form of a reliable isolation option in the middle of the floor with three point shooting around them. You know Dean Wade. I think Dean Wade is a better basketball player than Kelly u Bray. I know that's up for debate. I just think he's a more well rounded basketball player that I think will be useful for Philly. His shooting is a little bit of a question mark, but you've got a shooting five, You've got your guards that have that have high level three point shooting talent, it's gonna be able to They're gonna be able to create space for Jalen Brown to attack in the middle of the floor, and so there is upside there. I don't want to undersell this again, don't overthink things. Jalen Brown is a.
Speaker 1: Flat out upgrade over Paul George.
Speaker 2: Paul George essentially was useless as the series progressed against New York. That's not gonna be a problem with with Jalen Brown. Jalen Brown is better. This is a better basketball team. Give me Tyrese Maxi vj Edgecomb and Jalen Brown and Joel and beating the playoff series. I think you got a puncher's chance, but I think that's where they land. I think they land in that puncher's chance tier. And ultimately, the flaw this team is just their speed in the front court. Are they going to be able to be fast enough to do the things that they need to do in the on the defensive end in the postseason against the teams that can spread them out in pick and roll. That's where things are going to get interesting on the again, on the Boston front, I just think this is a disaster. There was some strange reporting coming out to coming out to Today earlier today from Scham's basically saying that Jalen Brown had not requested a trade and that the Celtics were shopping him anyway. That didn't make a lot of sense to me. That felt like posturing. It felt kind of like, actually, he does want to get traded, but we just don't want to let everyone think that he wants to get traded so that we can have some sort of leverage in these discussions. I don't know why you do this deal unless Jalen Brown has told you he doesn't want to play for you anymore. You're just a better basketball team with Jaylen Brown than you are with Paul George and a couple of draft assets. The story of the Celtics season will be told with what happens from here. You're unquestionably worse right now. By the way, Paul George impressed me in this playoff run.
Speaker 1: He did.
Speaker 2: Obviously he struggled in the Knick series, but he showed some impressive shot making. He showed some pull up shooting and pick and roll. Especially in the Celtics series, he showed hoigh level defense. I was really impressed by Paul George defensively, especially in the Celtics series. Paul George is a useful basketball player when he's healthy and if he ends up playing minutes at some point for the Celtics this season, he is a useful basketball player. But on his contract with the one plus one that he has remaining, meaning he is this season plus a player option at a grand total of I think right around one hundred and eleven million dollars between the two seasons, that's a negative asset. Given his injury history and his production. He's useful role player right now, not star level ball handler. You know, Jimmy Butler on his contract, at least you can talk yourself into like, hey, if he comes back this season in February, we have a high level playoff shot creator, two way talent under roster control. That's not the case with Paul George. And so as I look at the situation here, even if we look at the draft as sets two first round picks, one of which is protected, two second round picks, how are we factoring in, Like if Boston just wanted to dump Paul George this summer, what would they have to pay.
Speaker 1: They probably have to attach a first which.
Speaker 2: Even further drives home that point I was making earlier about how I was wrong about the value of the Miami draft package versus the Boston draft package. Again, if he's healthy, I do think he brings utility as a catch and shoot guy, is a guy that can run some second side action as a versatile perimeter defender. But paying one hundred and eleven million dollars over the next two years for that type of talent is an overpay, especially in the context of giving up Jaln Brown.
Speaker 1: Now, as you look at their draft assets, it's a.
Speaker 2: Little convoluted because that twenty twenty eight pick has some has some swap rights, I think with san Antonio if I remember correctly, but I believe if I'm not mistaken, they have either four or five tradable first round picks at this point. So the Celtics absolutely have the ability to turn around and make another trade. Now, as you look at their tradable salaries, it gets tricky. Maybe it's Paul George. But again, as I talked about earlier, at a certain point, if you're trading Paul George, there's a certain amount of your draft asset getting diluted by the value of Paul George's contract around the league. And then there's Derek White, who consistently has been one of the most valuable on off guys for the Celtics over the course of the last few years. Yes, he came off of a bad shooting season, but I would expect him to shoot the ball much better next season. So I think Derek White's an important part of the Celtics. He's your one middling contract that you can send out in a deal with draft compensation to try to bring in good players. Once you get after that, it's like Houser who makes less than eleven million and a bunch of single digit millions. So yes, you can package dudes and you can go out and make a deal, But I for the most part, if you're targeting a high level talent, you're like, let's say you're like, oh, we want Trey Murphy, Okay, get ready to send Derek White out.
Speaker 1: And picks.
Speaker 2: So again, I can't write the book on what the Boston offseason looks like until whatever additional move they make is done. If they make an additional move, but if they don't make an additional move, this is a team that is worse than the team they were last year, even with Mitchell Robinson, because you sent out Jalen Brown, and you took on one of the worst contracts in the league in Paul George, and you have mediocre draft assets to show for it. And I mean, don't take my word for every Celtics fan. I've had Celtics fans reach out to me just in just in the last hour. No one seems to like this deal on the Celtics front.
Speaker 1: Again.
Speaker 2: Brad Stevens is a GM that has earned a certain amount of credibility with his work on the margins in the last few years and the job that he's done to not just build a championship roster, but to salvage to salvage last season from what was a gap year into a useful season where they looked like a contender at time. Like Brad steven deserves the benefit of deserves the benefit of the doubt, but he's got a lot of work to do to turn the Celtics team into a contender next season over the course of the rest of this summer. Today's show is brought to you by presenting sponsor hard Rock Bet Florida's sportsbook. We talk a lot of basketball here, but the world's biggest.
Speaker 1: Soccer tournament is here.
Speaker 2: Everyone is watching, National pride is on the line, superstars are chasing immortality, and for the next month, every match feels like a final. If you haven't tried hard Rock Bet yet, there's no better time to get in the game. Hard Rock Bet is a top rated sportsbook app built to viva la coppa. Whether you're backing your country, betting on your favorite superstar, or building the same game parlay for the biggest matches of the tournament, hard rock Bet is your way to get in on the action.
Speaker 1: And if you're ever late to kick off, don't worry.
Speaker 2: Hard rock Bet lets you live bet all match long, from the first minute to the final whistle. Plus, hard rock Bet has new promos daily. We're talking profit boosts, no sweat Bets, bonus Bet, and more. And be sure to check out no Goals, No Problem in super sub two promos designed to give your bets insurance all tournament long. Sign up with hard rock Bet today in place a five dollars bet if it wins, you'll also score one hundred and fifty dollars in bonus bets a winning bet plus an extra one hundred and fifty dollars bet with Now. That's how you get this summer's party started. Hard Rock Bet is Florida's only legal sportsbook, but you don't have to be in Florida to join the party. Hard Rock Bet is also live in Arizona, Ohio, New Jersey, Indiana, Tennessee, Virginia, Illinois, Colorado, and Michigan. Download the hard Rock Bet app today, Roll with us, Goal with Us. Hard Rock Bet payable and bonus bets not a cash offer offered by the Seminal Tribe of Florida. In Florida, offered by Seminal hard Rock Digital, LLC and all other states, must be twenty one plus and physically present in Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, New Jersey, Ohio, Tennessee, or Virginia to play. Terms and conditions apply. Concerned about gambling in Florida called one eight three three replay wise In Indiana, if you or someone you know has a gambling problem and wants help, call one eight hundred and nine with it. In Arizona, Ohio and Virginia called one eight hundred my reset gambling problem called one hundred gambler in Colorado, Illinois, Michigan, New Jersey, or Tennessee. Allright, before we get out of here for today, I want to talk a little bit about the Lakers off season. So we recorded an instant reaction to the to the Kessler Edwards or to excuse me, to the Walker Kessler News earlier today. But at that point we did not know the specifics of the remainder of the moves. We had some intel, right, like we had heard, oh, we're gonna get mamukelosh Villi on some sort of verbal agreement. Quinton Grimes was on some sort of verbal agreement. So those two guys were lined up in this particular case, but the remainder of the moves remained.
Speaker 1: It was a.
Speaker 2: Question mark at that point in time. Now we have some clarity on that front. Just to read through the moves for you guys, you're getting Quentin Grimes at four years sixty million dollars. You're getting Colin Sexton two years, nineteen million dollars, Soandra Mama kelosh Villi four years fifty two million dollars. So the four big splashy moves for the Lakers this offseason are basically Walker Kessler, Sandra Mama, Kelos Villi, Colin Sexton, and Quentin Grimes. I want to go through these moves individually first and just talk about the basketball fit, and then I'll talk about my big picture kind of feelings here. I talked about it a little bit earlier with Walker Kessler. I love Walker Kessler in a vacuum as a fit alongside Austin and Luca. Is he the best vertical spacing threat in the league. No, but I think he gives a lot of utility against different looks. Vertical spacing is most valuable in the in the context of pick and roll against drop coverage, right, So like if they're running drop coverage and Luca can get downhill and he can bait the big to step over, there's your lob. Austin come screaming downhill, engages the big, there's your lob. Right, Those are the obvious plays that you're looking at for a vertical spacer, But every other type of look, I actually think Walker has a lot of utility. So like switching, Walker Kessler will mash you on the offensive glass if you switch. That's a real piece of utility. Blitzing. I actually like Walker Kessler as a decision maker in the middle of the floor, as a playmaking talent. I think that's an area where he can continue to grow. So like I actually like Walker's fit offensively in some of the other areas there, there's a spacing five upside with him. Again, I'd be higher on it if he higher on the trade, if he was had a better track record there. But he has potential to become a stretch five right where I have some concerns with him are specifically whether or not that stretch five piece of it is viable and whether or not he can be a switching big defensively. But he has utility on offense mashing on the offensive glass against switches and then working in the middle of the floor as a playing talent, and he'll have some utility as a finisher around the basket in their pick and roll scheme. On defense, he's just quite simply been one of the best rim protectors of the last several years, and so with that being the case, there's an obvious upside there with him. Defensively, the story of the trade and whether or not the picks are worth it puts a lot of pressure on Walker Kessler and how good he becomes, because you basically need now you need Walker Kessler to blossom into a top five or sixth center in the league. That to me, is the only case for this trade making sense for the Lakers is Walker becomes a dude who hits thirty eight percent of his threes on four or five attempts per game and shows real utility as a switching big that anchors a Lakers defense even with mediocre defensive talent, and just we're talking about this like holy shit, Walker's the sixth or seventh best center in the NBA, fifth best center in the NBA. That's the only version of this where I'm like, Okay, I can see the justification of the deal. That's a lot of pressure on Walker to be great. And I really like Walker, as you guys know, as I've talked a lot about how much I think he fits in specifically to what this team is trying to do. So I want to start there with in a vacuum, with Walker as a basketball player. First, We'll talk about the picks here.
Speaker 1: In a minute.
Speaker 2: I like Soandra mam Mikhalos Feely a lot. I think that he is basically a better version of ruey Hot Tramura, not the same type of player. Rui showed absolute laser beam catch and shoot three point shooting on the weak side. Sandro did not have a good shooting series against Toronto, although his minutes were inconsistent in that particular series. I think the average like fourteen fifteen minutes a game in that series. But he is a much more well rounded basketball player. Ruy Hatsamura really struggled with his decision making off of the bounce, did not show high level playmaking talent. Basically, if he wasn't shooting a catch and shoot three or a wonderable pull up on a rip through, he didn't show much offensive utility. Soandro has a lot of utility beyond that. He is a catch and shoot player. He can drive closeouts and score, but he also has a lot more offensive utility beyond that. That is a legitimate dribbleshoot pass talent, which is going to fit extremely well with Luca and Austin driving closeouts and playing with advantage in the middle of the floor. Sandro is also an excellent rebounder. Ruey Achi Mura a terrible rebounder for his size and so Sandro is a good basketball player.
Speaker 1: And I like it.
Speaker 2: In the vacuum, Let's pretend the Lakers did retain Lebron and did retain Marcus Smart. If they were like, we're gonna get Sandro and let Ruey walk, I'd be like, amazing deal, huge fan, great direction for them to go. Do I think Sandro can be the starting power forward on a championship level team.
Speaker 1: No, I don't.
Speaker 2: And that's where it gets a little bit tricky with the predicament the Lakers are in with the rest of their roster talent. We'll get to that in a minute. Quentin Grimes, I think that one is an overpay four years, sixty million. I think in that territory I'm looking for like a super reliable to way player, and I just don't view Quinton Grimes as a super reliable two way player. He has shown potential as a perimeter defender. I think that the Lakers specific specifically with Walker Kessler as a drop coverage big really need Quinton Grimes and Colin Sexton now to blossom into like legitimate chase over the top pick and roll defenders. Like we don't give up switches. We we fight through every fucking screen. You're not getting Luca on you. You're not attacking Walker in space. We are getting over the top of screens, and we are funneling into Kessler at the rim. That's a lot of pressure on those two guys. Colin's shown some potential there. Quinton Grimes has shown some potential there. I don't think either of those guys are like professional perimeter defender's professional point of attack guys defending guards is the way that you would look at like a Davon Mitchell for example. So like with that and with Quinton Grimes being a guy that has some offensive pop but not what I consider to be a super reliable off ball offensive guard, four year, sixty million is a lot to pay. That feels like that feels like an overpay me for Quentin Grimes. Colin Sexton. Again, I don't necessarily And to be clear, if Quentin Grimes was the seventh or eighth best player on my team and I'm paying him six million a year instead of fifteen, you get another round of applause for me here, Colin Sexton, same sort of thing. I Colin Sexton making less than ten million a year to be a backup guard is a guy that can get up into the basketball with some ball pressure like I like it, but in the context of the other moves and the limitations that they have, I don't understand, for instance, why you pay two years nineteen million to Collin Sexton but you don't pay a guy like a guy like Marcus Smart, who showed the ability to be a reliable fifth starter for the Lakers last year. Again, preferably I want Marcus as my sixth best player, but he's shown real ability to start for this team and did so last year and was cheaper. Look at what Houston paid him. You have a gaping hole at the starting power forward spot where Kelly Ubray started all season. Look at what Kelly Oubra made. Why isn't Kelly Ubra a Laker? Now we have another combo guard at two years nineteen million. So it's like, do I like Colin Sexton as a basketball player? Do I think he can be useful for the Lakers?
Speaker 1: Yes? Do I like Quentin Grimes and think he can be useful to the Lakers? Yes?
Speaker 2: Do I actually really like Sondro Mamo Keloshpielie, I really like Walker Kessler. But as I zoom out from everything, and we look at the reality of the predicament here, which is they have used up all their cap space, so they basically just have two VET minimum spots left. Now, there's some reporting out there that they could wave and stretch Jared Vanderbilt's contract and generate another like six or seven million dollars salary slot, and maybe you can pitch a Jonathan Kaminga on a starting power forward role and we'll see if that ends up materializing. It's been reported by I think Jake Fisher from mark Stein Substack that there's some interest in Milwaukee for a guy like Jonathan Kaminga, So that remains to be seen. But as far as I'm concerned, this is the off season with some small potential for maybe you get a Matisse Taible on a veteran minimum, Maybe you get one of those combo guards out there that like a zach Lavine or Demarta Rosen that gets bought out or something like that.
Speaker 1: Maybe you get.
Speaker 2: A a Jonathan Kaminga like we talked about, But those are small moves on the periphery. At this point, this is your squad, and as how many of these guys do I think are high level two way starters to flank between Luca and Austin. In the context of the NBA playoffs, Walker Kessler, that's it. Everybody else I'd prefer in the sixth, seventh, eighth spot in the rotation. That Toronto team lost in the first round, and they were like they didn't have much use for Sondro in the postseason. Now, mind you, you know obviously that you have Scotty Barnes playing in front of him a lot. But like the point is, you don't have a ton of utility for Sandro as like a thirty minute per game playoff guy. I like him as a eighteen to twenty two minute per game sixth or seventh man, and that's not going to be his role with the Lakers. And as I look at the situation, you have a gaping hole at the starting three spot where you're gonna have probably a Quinton Grimes masquerading as you're starting three. You have a gaping hole at the starting four spot where you're probably gonna have a Sandra Mamma kelos Vili masquerading as you're starting four. And you have no tradable first round picks over the next seven seasons. And that's where like again, that's where the pressure is on Walker Kessler, because I think the only justification for trading multiple first round picks for any player is for them to be a really high level two way player, and specifically two first round picks, two swaps, and a thirty plus million dollars salary slot in a cap space summer. You need Walker Kessler to be a star. And if he's not, and he's just a high level two way starting center, you're devoid of what you need elsewhere on the roster with very little ability to make the improvements elsewhere. And that's before we even get to the stuff I talked about earlier today involving culture and the lack of like just professional competitive mfors on the team. I think this Lakers team would literally have been better if they just were like, oh shit, Walker Kessler's too expensive, Let's bring back Lebron and Marcus. Let's sign Sondro Mamo kelos Vili, maybe we get one or two other discounted vets. With the remaining cap space, Let's start eight and Lebron, Marcus and Luca and Austin. I think that's a better basketball team than what the Lakers are gonna field. Now the Lakers have an additional upside here, which is a real thing worth mentioning. They wanted to move on and have a clean slate.
Speaker 1: You do.
Speaker 2: You have a clean slate that you succeeded with. Here's my problem. You were heading into year three of the Luka Doncic era in LA and I think this is the worst of the three teams in terms of a playoff threat.
Speaker 1: And I don't know how. I don't know how you.
Speaker 2: Reconcile that with the urgency of the Luka danct situation. All right, guys, it's all I have for today is always a sincerely appreciate you guys for supporting us and supporting the show. We're waiting for more news this week. Lebron's signing some other trade. Whatever comes down, we will react to it when it happens, so I don't know when that'll be, so just hang tight. I'll probably be shortly after whatever that trade ends up happening when it does, so just kind of hang tight and we'll let you guys know when the time comes. Again, as always, I appreciate you guys, and we will see you later this week.